Southend Hospital

01702 435555 Prittlewell Chase , Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, SS0 0RY

Chantelle gave Ophthalmology at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My daughters squint surgery

I would like to say how pleased I am with the care my daughter received from all of the staff in the eye unit. We was so worried about our daughter having her eye operation due to her being so terrified of hospitals. From the moment we got there the whole team made us all feel at ease and made my daughter feel so much better. They really do a wonderful job and do not get enough credit! Thankyou all so much for looking after my daughter you really do all make a difference :)

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

Southend Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Southend Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Heart diagnosis

Visted CCU August 2017 saw a registrar who had little background information on my medical history or current status.
They failed to listen to historical information about my previous heart condition and the diagnosis of 10 years previous which resulted in 4 stents given by myself and my wife, it was as if he was just there to tick the NHS boxes. They also seemed not to take onto account my family history relating to heart problems and high blood pressure and my bodys intolerance to statins and similar forms of medication.
I was sent on my way with a prescription for the beta blocker.A letter followed later saying in the next 2 to 3 months I would be called in for a heart scan and a test to check my physical ability.
Thanks to Tyneside NHS Trust I'm still alive, for 3 weeks after that Southend NHS Trust diagnosis, whilst attending a family wedding I had a major heart attack.
On leaving CCU in Middlesbrough it was suggested I should be seen by a senior medical professional within a week of my return to Essex. My first meeting with a medical "professional" will be on the 4th October some 22 days since my return. I have had one phone call 13 days later to see if I wish to attend the CCU aftercare fitness clinic.
In life you often see The Good The Bad & The Ugly, in Tyneside I saw The Good side of the NHS.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

Southend Hospital has not yet replied.

S Riggs gave General Surgery at Southend Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Day surgery

The medical staff are superb. They were calm, supportive and extremely reassuring. Exactly the same as on my first visit earlier this year. This time my procedure was under sedation so I was concerned as my repeat prescription for various chronic diseases is large. All went well and I left the hospital relieved that my care and needs were met 100%

I am however concerned at the way the admin staff at the reception desk of Day Surgery treat people. One member of staff in particular I intend to find the name of was disgraceful. Their manner was atrocious. And the exact same attitude as I recall from my first visit. Personal questions, unnecessary as I could see on the paperwork they were pointing at were clearly stated already were put to me in a loud voice to the whole waiting area. My partner of ten years was treated like a bad smell. I can be no more polite than that. He has recently endured three cancer surgeries, nine weeks of radiotherapy and two visits to hospital for sepsis due to infection after this long period of cancer care. He had kindly found the strength to travel to the surgery with me and as we live some way from the hospital intended to wait for me. He was tired after the journey, well dressed and clean obviously but did need a few minutes to gather himself before he found the energy to attempt to find a beverage. Simply that. The receptionist not only interrogated him even though their loud questioning had led to me pointing him out after I entered the ward pre-surgery as my next-of-kin, they barged into the ward asking me who this man was and that most people either go home or go to work because he hadn't removed himself immediately. I was horrified that the time leading to my procedure was then filled with worry for him. Thankfully my assigned nurse understood my concern and immediately checked he was ok.

The reason this concerns me is although being a long-term patient myself and hardened to some of the impersonal attitudes of admin staff throughout the hospital I am concerned that others may have become quite stressed by this persons foul manner at a time when they needed to feel safe and secure. A patient entering the ward before me found those who had accompanied him being dealt with in a similar manner. They were obviously concerned and embarrassed.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 22 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your post and we are extremely sorry to hear of the issues you have had during your appointment.
Unfortunately without personal, identifiable information we are unable to look at individual cases via this site but we suggest you contact our PALS team who you can discuss this with and they can advise on your next steps.
pals@southend.nhs.uk or call 01702 385333 Monday - Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm.

Thank you for your post - it is great to hear so many positive comments regarding the medical staff throughout your entire experience.

Anonymous gave Southend Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Nobody answers the phones

Many times I have been given x ray requests and dialled the number given, nobody ever answers the phone, you have to to to the hospital to book an appointment
You cannot book on line
No matter who you phone at the hospital, nobody is prepared to help.
Finally raising the issue with 'Healthwatch', they tell me my phone number is not recognised, yet every time i attend hospital, they check my number.
Whilst an x-ray may not seem urgent. one doesn't expect to suffer pain waiting two weeks, if indeed you can contact the department in the first place.
The service is appalling the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!
I have found it very distressing having to depend on morphine for pain simply because there is no way of contacting the x ray department at this hospital.
This is a hospital where patients are the least of their priorities!
No good complaining because nobody ever listens ... not the first time i have complained about this appalling service but still no improvement.

Why is n't the x-ray dept. list in the clinics attended?

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 23 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your post and we are extremely sorry to hear of the issues you have had.
pals@southend.nhs.uk or call 01702 385333 Monday - Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm.

Chrissy gave Stroke services at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

RESUS AND STROKE WARD MIRACLE!!

I was admitted on 8th August 2017 via ambulance, and was immediately given a CT scan followed by the 'Thrombalysing' treatment over the next hour, which amazingly reversed the paralysis I had down my arm and leg.

It was amazing and the staff both in resus, A&E Majors where I stayed for the night (no beds on ward) and Benfleet ward were all fantastic, and happy with it all the time.
I will be forever grateful for this 2nd chance.
Thank you everyone at Southend Stroke unit.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 23 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 24 August 2017

Dear Madam,

Patient Experience

Laura gave Accident and emergency services at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Broken bones

My 11-year old son broke his arm this morning on our garden trampoline. We drove him to A&E at about 10.30am this morning and by 9.30pm this evening he had been assessed in A&E, x-rayed, temporarily plastered, administered pain relief, transported, prepped for theatre, anaesthetised, operated on, looked after in recovery, checked in the ward and released. It is a bank holiday weekend and I can honestly say all expectations were surpassed. The staff we encountered were, without exception, polite, cheeeful and informative. He is now tucked up on his own bed and I have nothing but praise for the team of people who assisted us today.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 28 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 29 August 2017

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear such positive comments regarding your son's treatment at the hospital.
Please be assured this has been shared with the staff within the department.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Louise gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment

I visited today with my very nervous 6 year old after a failed hearing test she went to have her ears suctioned we was met by one of your lovely nurses and another staff member that done the procedure I didn't get their name but they was a sister. Both of them were amazing with Sophie took there time reassured her all the time and had so much care and compassion both are massive credit to your department. All staff this morning went above and beyond. Thank you all.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear such positive comments.
Please be assured this has been shared with the staff within the department.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Anonymous gave Cancer Services at Southend Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Chemotherapy here is outstanding. Strong staff, great place

Southend hospital provides an extremely strong line of business with chemotherapy.

Outstanding staff at all levels have provided an exceptional service to help us hold the strength required for us to get through chemotherapy.

Strong management have created a great LOB. Management team at chemotherapy are strong leaders that do a great role involving patients as well as all levels of staff within their business.

Chemotherapy team leads also provide strong management and support the new staff by providing strong leadership in a diverse department.

Team leads undoubtedly inspire new members of staff and appear to have created a great place to work as well as a relaxing place to ensure that those having chemotherapy can relax as required. I personally have been provided every relevant service including:
- Help obtain comfort for us fighting cancer in our own ways.
- Created a positivity as appropriate.
- Provide great service to the partners of those of us using chemo. My wife is well looked after and appropriate data/requirements from all staff at Chemotherapy.

Management teams clearly understand the requirements of patients as much as their knowledge of their own business.

The service provided here has given me a good experience throughout my chemotherapy.

My only mild issue is that I am not a believer in separating male from female. I do understand your thoughts, but I do believe that some of us feel more comfortable in a unisex environment rather than a male or female battle environment.

Thanks to all of you for services provided so far.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear so many positive comments relating to the Chemotherapy Department.
Please be assured these have been sent to the department to share with staff and also take on board your comments of the separation of male and female.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Southend Hospital a rating of 3 stars

endoscopy recently carried out

I very recently had s flexible sigmoidoscopy and had been worried about this especially after reading last review. The staff were all very kind and professional. Unfortunately the enema had not worked enough for a clear look. It worked more after I was home. I had requested an enema rather than oral fleet. Nevertheless I would not be concerned if I had to have it repeated because the staff I had were very kind especially the nurses.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 30 July 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 07 August 2017

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your post and we are pleased to hear the staff were kind and looked after you - it is great to hear such positive comments.

Please be assured these compliments will forwarded to the team.

Patient Involvement Team

Anonymous reviewed Southend Hospital

X-Ray Department

I have been trying to book an x-ray appointment for 2 days, all I ever get is all our teams members are currently busy please continue to hold. I have been holding on now for 1 hr after having been trying since 9am yesterday morning. This is a terrible service is there not any thought for those that maybe working and cannot keep holding or even constantly trying to ring. An e-mail has now been sent let me see how long it takes to get a reply!!! Not good enough.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Southend Hospital replied on 07 August 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you have had.
Please can we suggest you contact our pals team giving your personal details who can look into this on your behalf.
The team can be contacted via phone or email:
pals@southend.nhs.uk or 01702 385333

The team will be happy to assist please ensure you have all of your details to hand to pass onto them.

Patient Engagement Team