Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford

Telephone: 0800 015 5020
Address: Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3 7RP
Website: http://www.nuffieldhealth.com/themanorhospitaloxford

Neil D Budden reviewed Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford

I attended an appoitment at the manor to see one of their consultants regarding

I attended an appoitment at the manor to see one of their consultants regarding a shoulder joint injury, the apointment was delayed by 2 hours and the results were extremely negative. I was greeted by an extremely agressive reception desk and then passed to a 2nd reception desk and told to wait in the waiting area, but not told how long or who I was waiting to see after waiting for 45mins I was called before being who told me nothing I didn't know all ready. In short I won't be going back and I feel like I have been mugged by a duck.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 07 June 2014 using Find The Best

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 10 July 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experience at Nuffield Health Manor Hospital. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further, please give me a call on 01865 307777. Simon James - Hospital Director.

Carol gave Orthopaedics at Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

Came in for knee replacement

Got referred to the manor after 13 weeks waiting for op at Nuffield . Very pleased with care I received . Could not have been treated any better. 10/10

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 25 May 2014

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Dear Carol, thank you for your kind words. I am happy that your experience at the hospital was a positive one and that you were happy with the standard of care provided. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.

Anonymous gave Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

Doesn't the Manor Hospital have unhappy and unhelpful staff?

I have never ever been treated in a hospital where everyone was so professional, helpful and happy! Right from the moment that I was admitted to the Cardiology ward I noticed that this hospital was so different to anywhere else that I had been treated. Three days after I was admitted I actually found myself looking for anyone that wasn't smiling ~ but no one!!!
Food was great, facilities great together with the cleanliness of my room.
To sum up then the staff at the Manor just couldn't do enough for me.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 03 May 2014

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy that your experience at the hospital was a positive one. I will pass your comments onto all the members of The Manor team invloved in your care. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.

John Marshall gave Urology at Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

In Patient stay for Urology operation

I am lucky in so far that it has been fifty five years since I last needed in patient attendance at a Hospital and I viewed the prospect with some trepidation but my experience at the Manor Hospital went a very long way to allaying my anxiety.
The care and attention which I received from the moment I first reported to reception until final discharge was efficient, courteous and friendly and I could not have asked for better care during my stay. Prior to operation, I was kept informed and consulted and from the moment that the porters collected me for surgery, every effort appeared to be made to put me at my ease from anaesthetist and surgeon to theatre staff.
The room which I occupied was comfortable and kept very clean, the food was of a very acceptable standard and all attending staff from cleaners and catering assistants to nurses could not have been more helpful, friendly and quick to respond when needed
I felt extremely well cared for and find it difficult to suggest any way in which my stay could have been improved.
I would like to think that it is management practise to relay commendations and gratitude of satisfied patients such as myself to those who work at the hospital.
In the unfortunate event of having to revisit hospital for any reason in the future, I would certainly choose to return to the Manor

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 28 February 2014

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Dear Mr Marshall, thank you for your kind words. I am happy that your experience at the hospital was a positive one. I will pass on your comments to all the staff involved in your care, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 1 stars

Not great at all!

It started when I got my pre-op appointment through - it was scheduled for 3 hours after my operation book in time! Eventually got a pre-op for 3 days before the operation. Was told to stop taking aspirin, wasn't told to stop it at least 7 days before the op... not that I would have had 7 days in which to stop taking it anyway. This did cause problems with excessive bleeding during the op.

I was originally told I'd need to stay flat on my back for at least 3 days, they had me up and about a few hours after the op. I was released far earlier than expected and wasn't really given any information. They said I didn't need ambulance transport home and squeezing into my daughter's tiny car would be fine (I had an op on my spine and despite them pumping me with a lot of pain killers was still in much pain). Because I didn't get ambulance transport home I had to arrange my own aftercare. When the district nurse did come out to me she was surprised at how much I was doing for myself, she said it was too early for me to be doing anything - I should've been told to completely rest for first few days, I wasn't told. She was appalled that I'd not been sent home in ambulance saying I should not have been dosed with pain killers and told hunching up in my daughter's car was ok (it was an hour's journey). It was the worse thing they could've done.

At the hospital I was unable to bend but was expected to dress myself etc, I kept dropping things and had to wait ages for someone to come along so I could ask them to pick things up for me - they said they would get me a grabber stick, but it took them 2 days to give it to me, and they sent me home a couple of hours after finally getting it. They were not quick and responding to calls or dealing with requests.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 27 February 2014

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Janice Styles gave Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

Recent stay.

I was in Manor Hospital Oxford for an anterior cervical discectomy on 14th October 2013. The hospital is clean and well equipped. I work in the NHS and was sent as an NHS patient. I was so very impressed with the level of care. My Condultant was brilliant involving me in all aspects of care and taking a lot of time to explain everything in detail to me. The nursing staff on ITU were brilliant and very kind and friendly. Everyone felt like they had time to spend giving me any care I needed. For me the basic nursing skills shown were quite frankly exemplary! I only wish that level of skill was still apparent in the NHS. No one came near me without first wasabi g their hands and the aseptic technique I observed by one particular nurse whilst taking a drain out of my neck was good old fashioned technique. I can't really say enough about how impressed I was with this whole experience from the admin staff to the nurses, anaesthetist and consultant. Even the young men who brought me tea were pleasant and cheerful. Brilliant. Thank you to everyone for looking after me so professionally.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 16 November 2013

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Dear Mrs Styles, thank you for taking the time to send us your kind words. I am pleased that your experience was a positive one and I will pass on your comments to the staff that were involved in your care. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hestitate to contact us on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.

Andrew Jenkins gave Urology at Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Service

I went to the Manor for a cystoscopy in preparation for a major colorectal operation. The facilities are modern and well maintained. I was attended by a number of different staff, all of whom were pleasant and efficient (and yes a lot of the staff are agency/contract/ethnic minority/non EU - but this does not detract in any way from their efficiency). Both the consultant and anaesthetist visited me in my room before the procedure (which was done under general anaesthesia) to explain what they would be doing and answer any questions. The post operative care was all done by a senior nurse, who was excellent both in his nursing skill and bed-side manner. I was told of the findings from the cystoscopy as soon as I had fully recovered, and although some of the post-operative activities are uncomfortable (particularly the removal of the urethral catheter) I found it tolerable because of his approach. The post operative meal was fresh and of good quality. Overall I would recommend this hospital to anyone needing similar treatment.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 23 October 2013

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Dear Mr Jenkins, thank you for your kind words.I will pass your message on to all that were involved in your care, along with your compliments to the chef!As always, if you have any questions, please give us a call on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.

Excessive delay and an absence of communication from staff

Finally had a joint injection organised after a three month wait since requesting it.

Good:
Finally given a date that is convenient for me.
When I was a private patient this was done virtually the moment it was requested – fantastic service then.

Bad:
3 month delay since requesting the injection
Communication abysmal – I just felt forgotton and as if I was just an inconvenience.
The Manor make empty claims that they treat their NHS patients the same as their private ones – in my experience of being both, this could not be further from the truth
Emails from me to the secretary were ignored for days – they did not even acknowledge receipt of the message.
It was hard to chase as when emails were ignored I tried to phone and the phone was either engaged or not answered and no answering machine.
Seemingly little appetite for treating NHS patients – all seems too much trouble for the staff.

Suggestions for improvement:
Train staff to keep customers informed if there are delays and to appologise if things go wrong.
Avoid excessive delays – I understand that a lot of the delay was due to administrative errors – staff not knowing how to apply for NHS funding, staff not getting request forms filled out properly – staff just not moving items through their in trays causing significant delays to patients in pain. Not a lack of appointments.
I would not be writing this now if someone had actually responded to my most frustrated final email rather than just give it a stiff ignoring.
A polite phone call would reassure me that someone cared and was on the case – instead it felt as if they would rather not have the work and NHS patients really are second class citizens.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 07 September 2013

Disappointed with daycare treatment

I had a knee arthroscopy as a daycare operation yesterday.

Good:
Surgeon and anaesthetist professionalism. Hospital appearance.

Bad:
1 hour delay before nurse 'check in' - spent alone in my room with the door closed, wondering if I had been forgotten (which they later admitted I had).
Check in was slow and repetitive as 2 nurses (one new hire) asked the same questions and tried to complete the same pre-op monitoring.
Delay before seeing physio, anaesthetist and eventual surgery was not communicated.
Too many different nurses who were generally unfriendly,with seemingly little care for me - they rarely knew anything about me or my history and most things seemed too much trouble (eg. Can we call you tomorrow as otherwise I will have to go downstairs and reboot the computer to book a physio appointment)
No offer of pre-medication - the only mention was the anaesthetist who I met for the first time 15 minutes before the op and said something like "you've had your pre-med, right".
New phone in room - didn't work.
No blood pressure checks after surgery - despite the nurse telling me I would need one before discharge.
Cup of tea offered postsurgery did not arrive - despite asking again 30 mins after first request.
Food was slow and inedible - cream of tomato soup far from creamy, bread dry, creme brûlée missing the brûlée part, can of Pepsi served without a glass (or even a plastic/paper cup.... When I had managed what I could the trolley was pushed to one side (not removed from the room) so that not one, but two catering staff then later entered the room to see if I had finished.

Suggestions for improvement:
As a surgery patient, arriving alone, it would have been nice to have been introduced to my nurse on arrival and put at my ease about the day ahead. For example - told who would be seeing me before the op, an indication of timing (proactvely updated when things changed), practical info like when to get changed (into what), discussion on the need for pre-op meds. Perhaps they could have even tried to build rapport with me and asked some (any!) questions about me, my condition, my family etc.
Although I understand staff changes happen, the fact that I saw upwards of 6 nurses, two physios and countless catering staff during my short stay seems excessive. Of the countless negative experiences I have no idea which nurses to pin point (and likewise which to single out for praise - although inexperienced and slow, the new nurse from South Africa did at least chat to me and try to put me at my ease).
Train nurses to care - or at least show an interest. When I got upset and nervous pre-surgery the nurse showed little compassion and stuck to the stand messages when describing delays - accepting no responsibility for the poor communication, let lane trying to calm me down.
The description and quality of the food really needs to improve as does the speed of serving hot drinks after surgery.
If you are offering a phone, make sure they work.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 29 August 2013

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experience at Nuffield Health Manor Hospital. I would welcome the opprtunity to discuss this matter further, please give me a call on 01865 307777. Simon James - Hospital Director.

David Draper gave Orthopaedics at Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford a rating of 5 stars

Knee operation

The hospital was extremely professional in all aspects from check in to finally leaving. The hospital was extremely clean and because of the staff to patient ration, everyone spent a lot of time on my care.
The way the operation was carried out was extremely good and I felt in very safe hands at all times.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 29 July 2013

Nuffield Health, The Manor Hospital, Oxford replied on 24 June 2014

Dear Mr Draper, thank you for taking the time to send us your kind words. I am pleased that your experience was a positive one and I will pass on your comments to the staff that were involved in your care. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01865 307777. Kind regards, Simon James - Hospital Director.