Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Wendy Raper gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I attended for day surgery on Thursday, 7th April 2016 having been sent to A & E the previous evening by my GP. From the beginning of my attendance at the hospital to my discharge every single member of staff I came into contact with was so caring, professional and made me feel immediately calm. Thank you so much to the surgeon, anaesthetists, nursing, theatre porter, recovery staff, etc. You were all tremendous. I thought that I would be far more anxious than I was but from the first anaesthetist I spoke to at the start of my admission process I was immediately made to feel calm and relaxed.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 12 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant service

My wife had a fall on 1st April and from the time the call was made to emergency service s things were excellent. First comes the paramedic who with kindness and compassion ascertained the damage and quickly arranges transport. Next the Ambulance crew with more bags full of kindness and compassion, who remain at her side until the overstretched hospital staff are able to take control. These quickly working as an efficient team work out what is required to start my wife's treatment and a road to recovery. So what if we went over 4 hours. Everyone that treated my wife did a brilliant job and we were satisfied. We hope the people we had taking care of my wife will get their just rewards. They do provide a brilliant service. We would be lost without them. Well done all.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Briony Davis gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Jungle ward

A big thank you from us- The staff were friendly, chatty, fun and kind to my 3yr old. We were seen quickly, kept informed, and treated with dignity and kindness, we felt happy to ask questions and not rushed. A very many huge thanks to all who we saw, what a great job you're doing.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital with your 3 year old. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Alan gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care with courtesy in A & E

During the last 3 years my wife has been taken to A & E sometimes diagnosed as mini strokes. The care with courtesy has been fantastic every time.
Early this morning she was taken there after a fall in our bathroom. She was examined
by a doctor who is on a work-experience period. Their bedside manner and courtesy were superb and this was matched by their care and diagnosis. It was a great joy
to be a patient (and husband carer) and to be on the receiving end of this quality service.
Our grateful thanks to them and all nurses today.
Alan & Elizabeth Blakemore

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 07 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

James Leckenby gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

James wardA2

Spent 5 nights on WardA2.All staff where amazing.Thanks to the HCA who does a wonderful job.Cant remember name of nurse on nights , but a big thanks to them also.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 09 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure they are passed onto the relevant staff. I hope thta you are now feeling better

excellent service

111 very good first response excellent ambulance excellent was in hospital 30mins after the call thank you NHS.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 26 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 29 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

A & E to MAU and Ward A3

My mum was admitted to PCH due to Pneumonia. Hospital staff were able to diagnose and treat Mum very quickly. She was given her own room once on the ward and the Nurses were brilliant. Doctors made good medical decisions about how to proceed and the care and efficiency of the medical team are to be commended. We are very thankful Mum is now home recovering. Thank you so very much for looking after her.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 02 May 2016

Cabbage reviewed Peterborough City Hospital

I have the misfortune to need regular treatment at the ACU in Peterborough City

I have the misfortune to need regular treatment at the ACU in Peterborough City Hospital. My illness can be tough enough to deal with. But i feel the sloppy, unsafe nursing I have had to endure week-in/week-out has been the absolute pits.
The unit is well resourced and has lots of staff; unfortunately most (but not all) the nurses have problems carrying out even the most basic clinical procedures safely or effectively i feel.
After a particularly spectacular incident recently, my GP was so concerned at the poor treatment they wrote to complain to the supervising consultant. On this occasion, a nurse had tried (and failed) to draw blood from my arm. So they took a large gauge needle and jammed it into my other wrist in the hope of finding a vein. The puncture site swelled up like a golf ball within a few seconds - the attending nurse was so panicked they ran out of the room to find some help (leaving the needle poking out of my wrist). With some help from another staff member, the swelling was suppressed by squeezing the wound for 5 minutes which was excruciatingly painful
After all this, I was expected to deliver a pint of blood without passing out. Thinking the Mobile was done, the nurse left me in the room unattended for over half an hour with blood draining into an IV bag - no call bell or means of summoning help.
Sure enough, after 40 minutes the IV bag was so full to bursting it fell on the floor and almost burst, ripping the cannula partway out of my wrist. The resulting bruising took over a month to heal and I was unable to use that arm for a week due to the swelling.
I have struggled to raise my concerns when things go wrong - the unit routinely ignores complaints and doesn't provide the Trust mandated complaints information in the unit.
I feel senior staff seem not to know (or care) what is happening on the unit day to day.
I feel any decent nursing staff seem to disappear to other units,
I feel there are some good staff there but they are suffocated by incompetent management. They know what good practice looks like but don't get the management support to deliver it.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016 using Patient Opinion

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 15 April 2016

I am so sorry to read about your experience and would urge you, if you have not done so already, to raise your issues as a formal complaint if you believe your concerns were not responded to. We would be keen to learn from your experience and can advise you that multiple changes have taken place in ACU as a result of feedback received from a patient who also raised concerns of a very similar nature to yours. However clearly the actions we have taken have not resolved all of the issues and that is why we would be keen to hear from you as well.

Our formal complaints staff can be contacted on complaints@pbh-tr.nhs.uk

JIm1956 reviewed Peterborough City Hospital

I have to go from time to time for them to move blood. The unit is very new and

I have to go from time to time for them to move blood. The unit is very new and clean. But I have decided to go to Blood Service for this treatment instead. At Peterborough many of the nursing staff are unable to insert a needle first second or even third time. After lots of trying and unnecessary bruising I gave up. The people who treated me were nice people.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2016

I am sorry about the problems you are experiencing and if you would like to discuss this in more detail please do contact me on lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

KatieD gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very well looked after and friendly staff

I went in to have my wisdom tooth out the ward was very easy to find after being given directions from a receptionist the week before. Every doctor and nurse I came into contact with were very friendly and helpful and made me feel at ease throughout the time I was there.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 09 March 2016