Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Sue Gray gave Plastic surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent visit

What an impressive and highly efficient hospital which seems to work like clockwork. Very little, if any, waiting involved with appointments, and the moment you enter the staff exhibit a very caring and respectful attitude. Finally I cannot speak highly enough of the plastic surgery team, whose genuine care and concern was ever apparent. Thank you! Sue Gray.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 07 September 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 15 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

Deputy Chief Nurse

C. Hayes gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great service/care!

Went to a and e after being referred by 111. Short wait time, very friendly staff and superb care

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Jim Milne gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Visit to A&E - Broken ankle

I arrived at A&E at 7:00 and was promptly seen and then led through the process of going to the various departments required. X-ray, plaster, back to X-ray etc. Along every step I found the nurses and doctors extremely helpful, polite and ready to answer any questions I had. They put me at ease and explained what would happen. Yes, the whole process took 6 hours, but this is a hospital, not a holiday resort or a fast food outlet. I cannot praise all of the staff highly enough for the job they did for me, especially in the stretched environment they find themselves in.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 14 September 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Satisfied

I have visited this hospital 5 times.the care I received was first class.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 16 September 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for your comments and it will be nice for our staff to receive your positive comments

Michaela gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Perfect experience with my visits

I have had my third surgery on my knee at Peterborough City Hospital and i have always been delighted how i have been spoken to and they have always listened to any concerns. I have never left feeling nothing was answered. Very pleasant experience.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 19 September 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visited A & E (Majors)

I spent some hours in A & E this evening after being referred following a 111 call for a Cardiac related problem. I have had several visits during the last year for similar problems. The care every time has been fantastic; I can't fault anything. I feel so lucky to have such amazing care available, thank you. All staff were professional, kind and friendly and gave such good advice. It's the little things which make such a difference when you are in this situation, a kind word, being really listened too and being brought that all important cup of tea. The department was really clean and every detail and member of staff scored 10 out of 10. A hospital is only as good as it's staff and you are an awesome bunch of people. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastically refreshing NHS team and service

I am sorry to say my experiences of the NHS over the years has been very poor. Last night I had my first contact with Peterborough's Early Pregnancy Unit. Staff were amazing on the telephone and I was in for an emergency appointment. today. The hospital is impressive, clean and modern. A the receptionist were friendly and approachable. I was seen pretty much as I arrived by a fantastic team of three (nurse, registrar and sonographer). Within the first greeting I was won over. Professional, warm and immediately reassuringly competent. Thankfully for us it was good news but I was surprised to be then asked to wait to see a nurse for follow up. I didn't think this was necessary but, within minutes I was called in to see the nurse/midwife. On the way to the nurses room I was amazed to see the chair my husband had sat in during the scan being cleaned down by the nurse! My second consultation was again reassuringly confident and for the second time that day was asked how I was feeling, rather than the usual 'tell me what's been happening'. Consultation skills are great and I have not experienced anything like this before on the NHS and even privately. I now feel completely happy and confidence that I have chosen this hospital for my antenatal care. You certainly do derserve the excellent reputation I have heard about from so many people. Thank you for your care today.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure they are passed onto the relevant staff. I am pleased that your faith in the NHS has been restored given the importance of your care at this time

Great Experience

Just had a baby at City Hospital and I have nothing but good things to say. From Antenatal department to maternity and Transitional Care, I received the utmost attention. Each member of staff answered my questions fully and gave their support and guidance when asked. I even had the luxury of catching up on some sleep after my c-section as the nursery nurses gladly took baby for a while. In a very busy environment these people are working really well and I am so grateful.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 September 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your maternity care. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you, your new baby and family well.

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital

I had a bad day on Monday!

I am 70 years old and I broke my ankle at the end of May in Kent. Since returning home to Lincolnshire I have been twice to Peterborough Hospital to attend the Fracture Clinic. because I cant drive myself, transport has been provided, and although cars were specifically asked for, on two occasions mini buses were provided. Perhaps whosoever reads this has never had to climb into a mini bus with a broken ankle, one of the most frightening things you can imagine. On Monday, even though a car was asked for six weeks ago, the taxi company forgot me, sent a mini bus, an hour late and did not inform me of the delay, so I stood in drive way, waiting, waiting. dumped by my driver and reliant on the hospital buggy to get about, I discovered that it cant take me to a clinic but has to leave me with a long corridor to struggle down. ( I should mention in fairness the driver did go back and get a wheelchair for me, but its all more trauma) The person who took my x'rays made me climb up steps, I have not had the courage to climb steps so I stood in fear of falling whilst they checked what they had done. Some doctors tell you to rest and elevate your broken ankle, others tell you to walk and exercise, and my consultant laughed at my attempts to get fit again. They told me that my ankle has not healed, I was so bemused I forgot to ask exactly what that meant! I don't know how to contact my consultant directly, and if I did, would they take time out of their busy schedule to speak to me. I know the NHS is under strain, I hear what everyone says. and believe me I have seen for myself its crumbling façade, but surely as a legitimate patient, I am entitled to some respect for my age and my condition, surely someone must be in charge of patient welfare. It need not take much effort to go the extra mile to see people are comfortable safe, and not scared. bad enough to break an ankle, without being treated as just an other number to process. I will be fine, in the end I will get well, but just now I feel miserable and let down, and I thought someone should know.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 31 August 2016

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care and I am disappointed that this is not what happened in your case.

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service via email PALS@pbh-tr.nhs.uk so that they can arrange a convenient time to chat as I am keen we learn from your experiences. Once again my apologies that your visits were not as we would wish them to have been.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Carol gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

It seems hospital is run on amatuers A10

I had the misfortune of ending up on A10 ward, from A&E emergency, with extreme left pain under the hip bone going to groin area, continual vomiting for 4days, the consultant while investigating prescribed morphine for the pain, which was very rarely given, only to be given paracetamol in liquid form the reason given it might give relief. It was very hit and miss whether you got any pain relief at all. Having spent 10 horrific days only to find they could not find the problem that was causing my acute pain, I was released home, with a bottle of oral morphine, at least I can give myself the pain relief I need. While having one of the scans they did find a cyst on the left ovairy, which the gyni came and said it was not the cause of my pain and left it at that. Not what I call Ideal!, so to recap I still have extreme pain in the left side, and a cyst of the left ovairy, and before that I was quite active, but now I struggle to walk any distance. The staff are very hard to understand, and some need training In how to talk to patients, and not throw a wobbly because the doctor did not want to give me the pain relief that was prescribed, and after explaining that I had been waiting since 06.30am for pain relief and it was now 08.10am, again disgusting, I am in my 70's and should have been treated with a bit more respect, than was given. Now I am at home I have now got to look to having to go private, all because, one dept cannot find out what is wrong and can't be bothered to transfer me to another ward, for further test. I have never liked that hospital and now it only confirms my fears, that if I have another emergency I will be sent there. Really think you should warn all patients to bring in their own food, how can you steam eggs, and a few other apologies for food and then nuke it till its hot, and toast cannot be made hours in advance. the food is atrocious so please warn others..

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 27 August 2016