Peterborough City Hospital

Telephone: 01733 678000
Address: Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ
Website: http://www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted twice in one week!

On 3rd March I took myself to A&E whilst suffering from an episode fast atrial fibrillation. After they had felt my pulse the nurse on Reception very quickly arranged for me to go to Resus. All of staff in A&E, from porter to consultant, were brilliant despite being rushed off their feet. I was rapidly hooked up to monitors and had an ECG and then treated to slow my heartbeat. I spent a long time in A&E whilst waiting for a bed in Coronary Care Unit, I was kept informed of what was going on, was fed and given several drinks. I watched the staff trying to juggle too many patients with too few resources (mainly space) and they did so effectively and compassionately.
Once I was admitted to CCU I was again treated with kindness and compassion. (And was fed again!). Everything was explained to me and the staff were attentive. I was seen by the consultant the next morning when he took the time to explain a planned course of action. I was finally discharged the next afternoon.
Unfortunately, on 5th March,I suffered another episode of fast atrial finralltion and was advised to call an ambulance. This was not because I had been discharged too earlier but because of an underlying condition. The paramedic arrived within minutes and the ambulance not long after. All were extremely professional and put me at ease. I was taken straight to Resus in A&E and, again, treated quickly. Then it was back to CCU. There was some banter about me being back there so soon which put me at ease. Once again I was treated well and everything was explained. On both occasions staff were attentive, even during the night shift, and answered buzzers quickly, I observed how caring they all were with some elderly patients too. I saw a different consultant who again took the time to discuss my condition and advise on the way forward.
I was discharged the next day via the Discharge Lounge where the staff were very kind.
There appeared to be quite a lot of continuity of staffing in CCU which must surely help. This included the Catering staff and cleaners.
Special thanks to the doctors.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 08 March 2015

Vist to A and E and Children's Ward

I had the unfortunate occasion to visit the hospital recently with my daughter, with all the recent press reports I was expecting a rough ride at A and E on a Saturday evening.

Yes is was a busy, however the care and attention was way above what I had expected. It was not chaos and organisation was apparent.

The speed of being seen, the treatment and kindness from all team members including the very entertaining porter who had been at the hospital for over 20 years made what is always a worrying experience a little bit better. We were admitted I spent two days the children's ward, again the care and kindness was way above expectations.

Thank you, clean, kindness, my daughter enjoyed her food! A first for any hospital visit for her and anyone I have ever met! Thank goodness we did not need to stay longer and she is much better now after her accident, thank you and I also wanted to say my experience well exceeded my expectation.

Many thanks

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Linda C. gave Surgery - Breast at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

I would like to say a big thank you to the Consultan,Ultrasound,& so friendly Nurses for all their excellent treatment when I visited The Breast Outpatients Clinic.
You all made me feel less scared with all your kindness & ansering all my questios.
I would highly recommend this hospital.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 March 2015

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Not a Happy Bunny reviewed Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital

Not a Happy Bunny

The majority of staff are wonderful and working under great pressure however, I had the misfortune to be treated by a member of staff who was of a different ilk to the rest and made disrespectful comments such as how she was almost my age and fit, how her hair was not as grey as mine (Nice and Easy does it) the most hurtful was how my toenails needed cutting and this was self neglect. How dare she say this to Mrs Estee Lauder I am very immobile and my wonderful husband helps me do this sadly he couldn't manage a pedicure before the ambulance arrived. Fortunately I only needed to spend one night this time and was released the next day 'If you haven't any kindness in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble' perhaps she could use this quote to her next coronary care patient.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 21 February 2015

Anonymous reviewed General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital

Ward B5

I visited a lady last night in B5. I am with Age UK and was visiting a lady who I am a volunteer befriender for. I was astounded with the level of care given. One nurse stood out but I didn't get her name. She helped my lady in room 1. Can you please thank her for going the extra mile and giving more than is expected her care and compassion for the elderly was amazing and on behalf of a visitor and my patient I am truly grateful. 20.02.15

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 20 February 2015

Snowy gave Diagnostic Imaging at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bone/MRI Scan

Thank you to all of the staff in the Bone/MRI scanning dept for their excellent care and empathy during my visit it was much appreciated

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 February 2015

alihills gave Cardiology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

kind and considerate

after arriving at a and e in the middle of the night i was taken to coronary care, i was very scared but they soon made me feel safe and ok. as i had arrived without any nightclothes, toilettries etc they soon found me some, this made a big difference to me as i was desperate to clean my teeth. everyone was sooo kind and explained everything that was going on. if i ever have to go there again i wont be scared as i will know how kind, gentle, and caring they are

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 03 March 2015

Sandra allen gave Gynaecology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

my stay on the gynea ward at PCH

This was my first experience of what i feel to me was major surgery, from my first visit to see my consultant /surgeon, my admission to the gynnea ward, I can not express my deep appreciation to all the staff I met, the surgical team talk to me right up to being put to sleep, then when I came round I had a wonderful team of nurses that cared for my every need, they were simply the best, nothing was to much trouble, the ward was very clean, and the food was good, many many thanks to you all

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 10 February 2015

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Gemma Baxter gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Could not breath.....have a paracetamol!

Called 111 at 4am as I couldn't breath, and I was told to go to A & E. Sadly this was Peterborough.
Not a single person in dept waiting, and lady behind a security screen (!!) carried on typing whilst I stood holding onto the desk trying to breath. Finally "how can I help".

I couldnt breath, I didn't know why. Waited for Triage, and then she arrived... the nurse. She made me feel like a wasn't wanted (found out from friend who was with me that the nurse was about the finish her shift). She hardly spoke to me, I was in pain from coughing but the main problem was trying to breath. She put my finger in a monitor, sat silently next to me, "nothing wrong with your oxygen levels, have you taken a pain killer"! I had woken at 4am and was there for 5am, so no, I hadn't had time!

She gave me pain killers and said to wait for GP. 1 hr later and not a single person in waiting room I asked the receptionist what was going on. She want into the back. Surpisingly I was then called into what seemed like an empty A & E ward, I appreciate that there is a lot going I dont see but its not acceptable to not be spoken to for 2 hrs!
I'm sat in A & E, I cannot breathe. Its disgusting. I walked out.
Following day got an emergency apt at GPs. I have an infected asophagus, and this has caused the issue with breathing, I was struggling for air and they didnt care.
My advice, do not go there unless leg hanging off. Bad job Peterborough.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 08 January 2015

Anonymous reviewed General Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital

treated with rescpect & dignity

came in with antibiotic not agreeing with me giving me fits, they had to knock me out put me in a coma to get my brain level back to normal.
I had my own room when I came round also own bathroom & TV which was nice to have was always frightened of hospitals before but not now
Keep up the good work Peterborough.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 February 2015