Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Karen Bares gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent visit

I have just been discharged, after being in the hopital for 5 days. From the emergency treatment I received, to the treatment in the short stay ward, everything was top notch. Thanks to the A and E nurse, to the staff on short stay. Thank you for making me better

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 17 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Charl gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Service at the drop in centre is abysmal

We arrived first over an hour early as we had been sent from the jigsaw clinic. We where told we are top of the list and would be helped first. We waited for well over two hours and where not helped first instead two ladies where helped before ur. The reception were unhelpful and just told us to wait. Really wish there where alternatives.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 December 2016

Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 December 2016

Hello
I am sorry to read your comments. Please can you email me on mailto:Lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk as I am not sure that the service you are referring to is managed by our organisation.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

If you're pregnant don't bother they won't help you.

Went to a&e at 4am and only one other person was there. Waited 5 hours to see someone. I was the only person in there for 4 of those 5 hours. The morning arrived and I ask why it is taking so long, their response was amazing....We are busy! With no other person at a&e only me and you're busy. Then I finally get to see a doctor who says to contract my midwife. I waited 5 hours only to be shoved out the door. Nurses were more interested to tell me about themselves rather than ask what they could do to help me with mine. In the cubical where I was seen by the doctor there was blood on the floor. There was no one being seen, all the other cubical were unable used and I get put into the one with blood on the floor. To think I have no choice but to tend to my own medical needs if this is what I have to contend with makes me wonder why there is and a&e in the first place.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 15 December 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 20 December 2016

Hello

I am sorry to read your email. The waiting room may of been empty however this is the waiting room for non emergency cases. All ambulances cases and serious cases such as heart attacks etc are brought through a different door that takes them in to the majors area or the resuscitation area which can have in excess of 25 very poorly patients in it.

Staff may well have been busy dealing with these cases however I can fully appreciate that to you waiting in the minor’s waiting room it did not look like much was happening. I am happy if you wished for me to check back on the date and time that you were in and confirm with you exactly how many people were waiting to be seen. I do not think I have heard of a time when there was only one patient in the minor’s waiting room for four hours without anybody else being booked in.

We are encouraging patients to telephone 111 before attending the Emergency Department as they may be able to suggest an alternative for you or to have given you advice over the telephone thus negating the need ot wait 4-5hours.

I am so sorry that blood was on the cubicle floor and I have passed this through to our Matron for that area who I am sure will remind staff to check that the cubicles are cleaned between patients.

If you would like to provide me with more details about the date and time of your visit please do not hesitate to contact me on Lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk

Deputy Chief Nurse

Emma moss gave Maternity services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Midwife led unit

Just a small message to say thank you to everyone involved in our care when we had our son at Peterborough midwife unit on 20th December 2016. I was incredibly apprehensive following a previous birthing experience at another hospital but everyone made the entire process as nice as possible and were incredibly reassuring and encouraging throughout my stay. Thank you you again for helping us to achieve a stress free birth and therefore the perfect start for our son and us.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 03 January 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 January 2017

I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your son and wish you and your family well going forward.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Christmas Day Service was Fantastic

From reception through to consultant and everyone in between all were fantastic.

My 85 year old mother fell in the night on Christmas Eve and although managed to get back into bed herself we were not sure whether any serious injury was suffered. We only discovered the fall in the morning as we were all sleeping at the time.

We received attention promptly and were in and out within 2 hours – I was impressed. Not only did we get reassurance on her injury (which was deemed minor), we were given advise on action to take on her return to her home town. We acted on this and we have made some progress on a couple of areas which may improve her situation in medium term.

Unfortunately I do not have the names but we saw an initial triage consultant, main consultant and a nurse who assisted with walking frame.
Thanks to all and keep up the good work.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 09 January 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 January 2017

Mark gave Cancer Services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great hospital caring staff but problem found

Great hospital and care.... currently being given let down by understaffed diagnostic services . Speed up results of diagnostic tests in scanning please because lives are at stake.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 13 November 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 18 November 2016

Dear Mark

Thank you for your lovely comments around care. We are experiencing some delays in the reporting of x-rays and scans which is down to a national shortfall in specialist staff within this area. The staff in this area are working very hard to try and address this through a number of initiatives that include outsourcing the reading of scans, advertising for additional staff etc. Whilst I appreciate this may not of helped you I hope it does provide you with assurance that we are actively trying to address the problem. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service via email PALS@pbh-tr.nhs.uk. Once again I am sorry for any inconvenience you have experienced.

emergency admission

After collapsing at home my doctor referred me to A&E department where I was examined and diagnosed with pneumonia. I arrived mid afternoon and was back home with a course of antibiotics by early evening having had blood tests X-rays and examination. At all times I was treated with kindness and respect...my only criticism is the expertise of the young very polite nurses who attempted to take blood samples hence my 4 stars on staff co-operation.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 25 November 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 15 December 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Peterborough City Hospital

Lost clinical/surgical notes

My brother, aged 65, attended Peterborough Hospital on 25th November for surgery to remove his gallbladder. He was in surgery for approx. 3.1/2 hours. When my sister-in-law visited him today (Saturday 26th November) she asked the ward staff questions about what his surgery had entailed and what was the prognosis. Very sadly, (and scandalously) the medical staff could not answer her questions as his notes had gone missing. What kind of after care is this? To add to my sister-in-law's anxieties, she was told by a nurse on the ward that gallbladder surgery normally takes about 45 minutes and because my brother's surgery had taken much longer it would mean that possibly other surgical procedures had been carried out but she could give no further information because of the missing notes. How can my brother receive proper after care if there is no direction as to how this care should proceed (i.e. no follow up notes). Please would you try and find his notes so that he and his wife, as well as his sister and his 96 year old mother can be spared further anxiety. Thank you.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 26 November 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 15 December 2016

I am so sorry that you have experienced the problems you have. Sadly if the matter has not resolved please do contact our PALS Department on 01733 673405 who will be happy to help. Once again I am sorry for the problems you have experienced

Anonymous gave Rehabilitation at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Car parking

I have appointments and treatment at the Hospital on a regular basis. I have found after two years of treatment that I can only praise the staff for such excellent care but have now requested I receive appointments and treatment at Stamford for the sole reason of the absolute nightmare of parking. On the last three appointments I have been forced to 'abandon' my car on double yellow lines leaving me stressed out during my appointments in case I received a parking ticket. I have arrived an hour earlier and still not been able to find a space. There must be a better system that can be implemented to stop people entering the car parks driving around in vain because the car park is already full. Very frustrating that a Hospital is so good for patient care but cannot get basic car parking right.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 01 November 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 09 November 2016

Thank you for your lovely comments about the clinical care you have received.

As a Trust we are aware that car parking is currently an issue and I can advise that there is an ongoing project looking at how we can ease the car parking congestion problems. This is high on the agenda for senior staff in the organisation but in between times please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

Deputy Chief Nurse

happy mum gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great A&E service

I've just returned from taking my son to A&E with a fractured elbow. It was a busy evening but the service was fantastic, from the person in triage to the person who treated my son brilliantly. I felt confident that he'd had the best possible treatment, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, and it took far less time than I'd feared. Thanks very much PCH for a great service.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 04 October 2016