Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ENT excellence

I visit ENT on a regular basis. I am always seen on time, and the treatment is effective. The SNP I usually see treats me in a friendly, considerate and professional manner.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 07 February 2017

Dear Mr Mountford

Deputy Chief Nurse

JosieR gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding hospital and staff

Over the last eighteen months I have needed to use peterborough hospital three times, head & neck unit, Rheumatology dept and most recently A&E. On every occasion the staff across the board were kind, knowledgable and unfailingly helpful. Having not long moved from London I can tell you this hospital is truly outstanding in every possible way. A huge thank you to everybody and a massive well done in a time where a failing NHS is big news. Maybe other hospitals could learn a thing or two from peterborough hospital.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Roy Howes gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service at all levels

Last Thursday I had to arrange via a 999 call for my 82 year old sister who was having trouble breathing, Within 30 minutes 2 very professional paramedics attended and after an assessment they took her to Accident and Emergency Departmentat PCH. She was seen by a wonderful array of medical staff. All the staff were so professional, kind, cheerful and very reasurring for my sister who was by now very nervous with the whole incident. She was dealt with great dignity at all times. After being assessed by a doctor, blood tests, ECG, etc., and finally seen by the department Consultant, my sister was released from hospital with a possible diagnosis for our future action with her GP. Her total stay was Four and a half hours. Our party were most impressed by the professionalism shown by all members of the staff at all levels. They were also so smart and clean. We are totally of the opinion that the high standard of professionalism has always been there but they are being let down by too many numbers of people requiring treatment plus the numbers of hospital staff have stayed at status quo. It is also about rude works and action against our hospital staff. This should never ever be tolerated. It never used to! Many thanks for looking after my elderly sister (Mrs Pam Cooper). In our family we are very much assured should any of us need to use this wonderful facility.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 16 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on. I hope that your sister is continuing to improve.

Anonymous gave Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class

My mother in law was recently admitted to this hospital and is nearing the end of her life. I can't praise the nursing staff and palliative care team highly enough. They have all been superb. The family and my mother in law have all been involved at every stage of her care and nothing has been too much trouble at such an emotive time. Thankyou.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 16 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this at what I fully appreciate must be a very upsetting time for you and your family. I am sure our staff will be delighted to know that they are helping you all at such a sad time. All of our staff strive to provide good care at all times but especially at times such as this. Our thoughts remain with you and your family.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Joanne Mcvicar gave Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward B7

I had an operation on my ankle 10-2-17 I was taken to B7 and I have to say what a fantastic lovely team of staff right from HCAs to ward SNRs I was looked after right through to discharge, pain relief was kept on top of nothing was to much trouble I tried not to ring the bell, so the nurses kept popping in to check on me.. the person with the tea trolly kept me in tea lol, I was made to feel relaxed and comphey a credit to the NHS and not to forget the consultant and team of orthopaedic surgeons fantastic team

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 February 2017

Anonymous reviewed Gynaecology at Peterborough City Hospital

Condescending and rude

Fertility assessments were the topic: my husband and I nervously attended after over a year of trying. The nursing/reception staff were absolutely lovely, however the service I then went on to receive was not. This experience was dismissive, condescending and insulting. It was suggested that the only issue was my BMI - ultimately I am a size 12, body fat is 21% and I have a 27 inch waist; last year I cycled London to Paris, I am an active girl with a clean bill of health. I shouldn't need to justify - it was plainly poor advice and badly handled. Generalizations were made using BMI without also using common sense or other lines of questioning/measures - there is no indication that my weight has anything to do with our fertility issue; it was therefore so arbitrary, cruelly put and hurtful. Additionally the fact that it was delivered in an accusatory manner with my husband in the room was embarrassing for me - who said I am ok with that? As newlyweds, it would be nice if my husband wasn't forced to see his new wife as some sort of clinically diagnosed whale thank you. You took that choice out of my hands - as my weight has no bearing on any treatment, I feel this could have been shared privately. it was mortifying.

Regarding the rest of the discussion; generic advice was piped out in a one way fashion -there were no other health assessments to understand what might be the issue. Tests I had taken at the GP which came back as normal were the only measure used. I was informed (despite never indicating I even do any of these things) not to take vitamins, temp chart or really do anything at all! I didn't get to say a lot as we were talked over or dismissed which was especially hard to stomach as I am a practicing scientist myself working in lab diagnostics and fully understand how ovulation and timing of intercourse works. We were given basic feedback, we learned nothing new, there was absolutely no need for my husband to even be there and we were simply told to try for another year. It was all handled as though we were gullible and naïve children who were little more than an inconvenience.

We both have big careers and have to be resilient, and trust me when I say I am not a crier, but after this visit I left in tears over the sheer level of disrespect/empathy or advice. I took an afternoon off to attend the hospital only to get called 'fat' and told to go away. I feel we are at our lowest ebb, desperately hoping to start a family and did not need to be made to feel that way on top of an already emotional journey. We were advised to avoid self-funded IVF if it comes to it, however this experience swayed me more towards considering going private as I feel very uncomfortable about going to that ward ever again and certainly if I do return and am made to feel this way again I would seek out the complaints commissioner. I only hope that the maternity ward is better and that you are treated with more respect for if we need to visit in coming years

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Kathyh62 gave Surgery - Breast at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast Cancer

I first came to the Breast Unit on 12/1/2017 for a routine mammogran. I was re-called for all additional tests on the 24/1/2017. On the 8/2/2017 I was told I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer and require surgery plus Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy. All the staff in the Breast Unit are without exception fantastic. Their kindness,caring,support and professionalism that I have recieved and still are recieving is excellent. I had surgery on 14/2/2017 to remove the cancer. I was very worried about certain procedures which were unfounded. The whole experience of the breast unit is in my opinion fabulous.
I was taken to the Day Treatment Unit after certain procedures in the Breast Unit on 14/2/2017 with my husband by a very nice member of staff. Sadly, once in the DTU with my husband we were left without any communication about the timecscale of my surgery. I was told it should happen between 12 and 12.30pm. By 12.45pm I broke down into tears. I wasn't actually taken to theatre until 1.30pm. I found sitting in a chair for 2 and half hours too much. I know surgery takes time and must not be rushed. Perhaps in future, patients can be kept more informed on what is happening to try and reduce stress and anxiety.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

Helen reviewed Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital

inappropriate discharge

No words to describe how dreadful my fathers discharge process and placement has been. Based on very poor medical records and inadequate clinical assessments. Badly let down by discharge team and oncology.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

I visited A & E with my 18 month old child with a foot injury. The Doctor who saw us in the Jungle Unit, was very good and caring towards my daughter. The Doctor interacted really well with my child, and reassured us during the consultation. I was seen by the Doctor between 9,45am and 10.40am on the 27/2/17. The radiographer we saw was really good with us as well.
The NHS always receives a lot of bad press concerning waiting times etc, and although it was frustrating, our total time in A&E was four hours, the care, attention and compassion received was second to none. I hold complete admiration for the Doctors, Nurses and other staff, who work so hard to provide the best care for members of the public.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 27 February 2017

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Karen Bares gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent visit

I have just been discharged, after being in the hopital for 5 days. From the emergency treatment I received, to the treatment in the short stay ward, everything was top notch. Thanks to the A and E nurse, to the staff on short stay. Thank you for making me better

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017