Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Many thanks to you all

Having gone to my local surgery for abdominal pain my condition deteriorated quite quickly and an ambulance was called. I would like to thank the paramedics onboard who treated me. The pain level was at 10 but these guys knew what to do and soon I was comfortable as could be. When I arrived at the A&E I was also taken care of very well many thanks

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

Deputy Chief Nurse

john simpson gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

inaugral hernia 4th august

had op on 4th of august for hernia (large)nurses all looking after me, the surgeon who was going to do my op came to see me, would like to thank all the surgical team and nurses and staff who looked after me, being diabetic and 73 yrs old bit nervouse but everyone one was absolutely brilliant,so all ican say is thank you your all stars very much appreciated.j w simpson

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Mrs Roberts gave Maternity services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The midwife role

I moved from Portsmouth to Stamford just over a month ago. Since being here, the maternity team & the care I have received has been efficient and very professional.

I do however have a major issue with the fact that the midwives not only have to answer the maternity helpline for expectant mothers with pregnancy queries and concerns, they also have to deal with appointment and administrivie queries.
I personally think this is terrible- taking a midwife away from their physical role of being there with an expectant or new mother, to carry out jobs that the admin team ought to be doing.

As someone who has personally worked as an admin officer in a busy hospital outpatient department, I understand the stresses this role can have, without having to carry out nursing duties as well.

I really don't think it's fair on the midwives that they have to adopt this role as well as their own midwifery responsibilities.

I honestly find this very concerning. I'd like to understand what the reasoning behind all this is.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Thank you for your comments. The role of the midwife is and will always remain predominantly clinical. However there are certain jobs on an administration level that they have to complete. Resources do not allow us to have administration staff attached to a midwife and that is why some of these tasks have to be undertaken by the midwife to a) ensure they are undertaken promptly and b) so that information is not lost in translation.

Please be assured we are constantly monitoring the work load of our staff and this is something going forward that we can consider reviewing.

Thank you for your positive comments as it is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I l ensure they are passed on.

Claire gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

My first stay in hospital. The care given was first class.
Within minutes of being in reception, the triage nurse directed me to the right care, I was evaluated and assessed quickly, despite the busy nature of a large A&E department.
I was in awe of the nursing and healthcare staff working on Ward A15. They were rushed of their feet from beginning to end of their shifts, yet treated each patient with respect, dignity and sensitivity. Despite their workload, patients were attended to in a timely way.
I cannot thank the nurses and health care assistants enough, they were perfect!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Not very child-friendly visit to orthopaedics

I recently visited Orthopeadic clinic with my daughter aged 6. This was a follow-up appointment to check the improvement of an atraumatic limp she had developed a couple of months ago. At the earlier appt 4wks ago we had been told there were no issues with her bone development and referred for physio so we were expecting to be discharged.
On seeing the consultant, they examined my daughter again and then asked if we had been given the diagnosis to which I said no and they then told me she had quite a serious hip condition. The consultant gave me the full name (6 words!) and when i asked them to write it down they didn't have a pen or paper so i had to dig some out. The consultant then went on to say that my daughter cannot run or jump for the foreseeable future while we "wait and hope" to see if her bone grows back correctly.

The consultant appeared to have no empathy as to the fact that this was a shock to us nor that telling a 6yr old not to run or jump is quite a big thing. They gave me no idea what the possible outcomes might be. When i asked for more details about the condition they suggested i "google it" and i had to probe and probe to find out what caused the issue, how it might develop, how to have the best chance of it resolving. Wait and hope was all the consultant kept saying. When my daughter, having been left out of the the conversation entirely, chipped in and asked if she could go to football practice, the consultant turned and gave her a very curt "no" which i thought was very insensitive.

I have since confirmed that the consultant is a paediatic specialist but that the consultant is new to the dept so i hope that this feedback will perhaps lead to a little extra training in bedside manner and understanding how to talk to children and what's important to them (eg when i asked about scooting the consultant looked totally confused and didn't even see fit to mention trampolining which i would think is very pertinent these days).

I should point out that everyone else we've met at the hospital in children's a&e, x-ray and fracture clinic have been great, in particular the paediatric physio we are now working with. I just think that the consultant we saw could do with some feedback/training so maybe the next child has a better experience.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care alongside excellent communication and I am disappointed that this is not what happened in your case.

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service via email PALS@pbh-tr.nhs.uk so that they can arrange a convenient time to chat as I am keen we learn from your experiences. Once again my apologies that the communication you received was not as we would wish it to have been.

Kris gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy

I was very nervous before having this procedure, but my worries were unfounded. The staff throughout the department were very polite at all times. During the procedure my nurse was very compassionate and reassuring. In the recovery ward I was made comfortable and given a drink and food. The nurse was also very friendly and made regular checks on me. The ward was very clean and the nursing staff worked well as a team. I am impressed by the standard of Peterborough Hospital and long may it continue this way.

Hazel C S gave Neurology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First appointment with the Dr.

My first ever visit to Peterborough Hospital have relocated to North Cambridgeshire a few years ago. The staff were all professional, pleasant and efficient. The Doctor was thorough in their examination and interested in my problems. My investigations are not over yet but I have confident to take the next step.

Deputy Chief Nurse

K Jeffery gave Maternity services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Recent visit for induction/labour wc 7/8/17

Recently I had a 5 day6 stay at the delivery suite of the hospital due to be induced early.
I had spent several weeks attending ADU and the staff there were really helpful.
When it came to our induction/labour some of the midwifes who cared for me could not of been more helpful. In particular one of the lead midwifes, who seemed to go out of their way to get things started for me when the ward was clearly extremely busy. The midwife made the time in their shift to come and keep both me and my husband updated on the progression of my induction/labour and what was next to happen to me.
Kerry understood exactly how we felt about things and offered both reassurance and empathy to both me and my husband throughout the Tuesday/Wednesday and Thursday night.

We would also like to thank another midwife who spent their whole shift with us through the last day of my induction and even stayed on passed their shift end to help with the safe arrival of our baby girl, supporting me immensely to ensure I remained unharmed from the delivery.

My only criticism would be that during my stay I was continuously forgotten when it came to meal times. The midwifes did try to monitor however due to the ward being so busy they couldn't always help with the situation or track down the food staff.

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your stay in our Maternity Unit. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you, your new baby and family well. I will pass on your comments re being forgotten at mealtimes as I am keen we address this promptly

Deputy Chief Nurse

Steve Nicholson gave Cardiology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My visit in the 17th August 2017

I arrived for my appointment early and was taken in soon after I arrived to have my weight and blood pressure taken. I was then moved to a different area where i say fro what seemed like 5 mins (very good). I we seem by a consultent who was extremely attentive and listened to all my concerns. I was then given a postscription for 60 beta blockers however I was only given 28 tablets from the pharphcy. When I discovered this I contactedcthe pharmacist who informed me it did not matter what the consultant wrote in the perscription only 28 tablets would be given. Having to pay for perscriptions this is a financial burdens I can do without. Please inform your consultants this is happening.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 18 August 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

In respect of pharmacy I will ensure Consultants are reminded however sadly we are restricted by NHS contracts as to how many days can be provided

A & E Department

I had to use A&E late in the evening due to severe abdominal pain. I was very impressed with the efficiency, care, and concern given by all the medical and ancillary staff. I could not have wanted or expected a better service.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 05 July 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 06 July 2017

Thank you for your comments and it will be nice for our staff to receive your positive comments