Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Duncan Jolly gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care & Fast Attention

I was taken to A&E following a dog attack on Saturday afternoon. I waited less than 5 mins to be seen by a nurse who quickly assessed the severity of my injuries and took me through to a separate cubicle. Another nurse cleaned the wounds and summoned a more senior member of staff who realised I would need to be assessed further by a doctor for possible theatre work. I was soon seen by a doctor and an Orthopedic specialist who determined I would need to be been seen by a consultant. All this happened like clock work and at each stage I was informed what was happening and why - I was very impressed. I was booked for theatre the following morning but allowed to go hope once my dressings where complete and antibiotics given.
The following morning I was admitted and went to theatre mid afternoon. The after care post theatre was excellent and very friendly. My injuries were minor compared to others on the ward but we were all treated equally. I had no fears, no anxiety on confidence in the staff and the treatment.
For all the positives I feel there are administrative items that could be improved within the processes. My details and address medication I am on etc had to be regathered and repeated several times, information was not being passed on. Where information had been passed on on occasion it was wrong e.g my name and my anti tetanus status. When we rang 111 a great deal of time was spent providing information etc which we were told would be passed on , it was not as far we we knew. Emailing the information to A&E reception would alert them to cases arriving and speed up triage. All information could stay with the patient, not need to be re gathered at each stage. The processes are not joined up resulting in silo management. Each silo doing a first rate job but blind to what goes on in adjoining silo's it would appear A serious process review following a patient from call too 111 or 999 through to discharge could I am certain save time and possibly money.
Still first rate staff and clinical care in A&E and general Surgery

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 25 April 2017

Thank you for your comments about the care and treatment you received. I fully agree that having to repeat information to a number of bodies is not helpful but until we can migrate on to one computer system being shared by all health partners this will regrettably continue.

I hope you are now feeling better and thank you again for providing us with feedback

Deputy Chief Nurse

Jonathan Moore gave Cardiology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

appointments absolutely on time

I had a 4.00 pm appointment to see a consultant. I arrived 20 minutes early as I had to have height weight and vitality test (too short for my weight). This test was scheduled at 3.45. At 3.45 I was seen by a charming nurse had the tests and then taken into another waiting room with my wife. At exactly 4.00 pm I was seen by one of the doctors who explained all that we needed to know and at the same time did some more minor tests .
We put our money in the parking ticket machine at 4.13pm. Absolutely unbelievable. Polite efficient service beyond criticism, We are very lucky to have the NHS.
Jonathan Moore

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 25 April 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure they are passed onto the relevant staff.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Jannet McLachlan gave Dermatology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

How you want your Doctor to be

I would like to thank the Dr for they way they interacted with me and made me feel that involved in my treatment.

The Dr was kind and made me feel at ease, as if my problems were of concern to me and I was not wasting their time. The Dr is how I would like all doctors to be when you have to see one.
Thank you once again.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to the Endoscopy team.

My teenage son recently had to have an endoscopy and I would just like to say how impressed I was with the treatment he received in the Endoscopy department. He was very nervous about the procedure and the staff were all extremely reassuring, sympathetic and professional. He could not have had better care. Many thanks to all.

Deputy Chief Nurse

John Shaw gave General Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and consideration

I was admitted with severe dizziness and sudden onset headaches . I found everybody from porters to consultants including nurses ,cleaners ,night and day staff ,in fact everybody that was involved in any way with my stay in hospital was very polite ,courteous and even though they were all very busy it felt I was given 100% personal care .
I would just like to thank everybody on Ward A3 for making my stay as pleasant as they possibly could. Thank You

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Patient admittance via the A and E department

My Father was admitted to the hospital yesterday to ward B11 from the A and E department. Every member of staff that he came into contact with including the paramedics were very professional. polite and respectful. The care he was given was excellent.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 24 April 2017

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 3 stars

stressful

My friend was taken to the emergency unit. Easter weekend she had gone having recently been diagnosed with heart failure and experiencing symptoms suggesting there was a problem which could be serious. , triage nurse was efficient, kind and helpful, in fact they said we should have come earlier. next she was given ECG this took few attempts. however we were then told not urgent and sent back waiting room........... several hours later taken in seen by DR. bloods taken went through history and taken MAU and supposedly then admitted.. Hours later no DR no update she became very agitated and upset surely not good for a heart patient.. Friend was going to discharge herself to be told levels in her blood were high and she would be at extreme risk infact could "drop dead" staffs exact words! hence she stayed. only for us the following morning to hear she was not even seen again by DR! despite results. after a lot of upset and tears she was finally seen. alot of conflicting information. appreciate Easter weekend, but this is a bust city hospital. She didnt even get to a cardiac ward. was in a bay where another patient with pacemaker was also disturbed all night I understand the hospital is extremely busy and under pressure. and whose husband works for another NHs trust I understand the Payment by results etc. but do think her experience could have been handled a lot better. Imagine how she felt then getting a discharge letter saying bloods were normal! after asking more questions it seems the trops were indeed high and not normal. now after this stressful visit she is going to be reluctant to return no matter how bad she feels. Several staff we came across were very helpful kind showed empathy but were definitely under pressure. Changes definitely needed within the NHS including more staff... and telling a patient sorry there is no DR is not reassuring..

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 April 2017

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 25 April 2017

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care and I am disappointed that this is not what happened in your friends case.

If he/she would like to discuss their concerns in more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service via email PALS@pbh-tr.nhs.uk so that they can arrange a convenient time to chat as I am keen we learn from your experiences. Once again my apologies that your friends visit were not as we would wish them to have been.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Abbie Hibbitt gave Maternity services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity inpatient

I would like to say a massive thank you to the Maternity inpatients staff. As I've never been to Peterborough hospital let alone the maternity ward, it was a scary time. After being referred by the surgical team to maternity triage, I got seen quickly and effectively. Lovely staff looked after me making sure I was okay and explaining what was happening. Within 10 minutes of being seen by an obstetrician they made the decision that I should stay overnight to be observed and to keep on top of the pain. I had a lovely midwife come and see me making sure I was okay and fetching me something to eat. Another lovely midwife took over in the morning who told me what was going to happen. Teams worked together and all of the staff I saw were absolutely lovely, nothing was ever too much for them or no silly questions. All the way through to being discharged, me and baby got checked over all the time.
I only have compliments to all of the staff, it makes me less uneasy to have my baby on the ward.
Once again thank you for a well looked after stay, the best care I've ever received.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for your comments and it will be nice for our staff to receive your positive comments

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology Investigations

I had to visit the above department with my elderly father.
We were impressed with all of the staff we came in contact with. They all were professional, but friendly in their approach.
At all times we knew what was happening and didn't feel 'left in the dark'.
Each case would be different, but an echocardiogram was needed, but hadn't been booked. The doctor realised to bring my father back another day would have been very stressful for him. They were able to fit the test in which helped enormously.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital

Ward B7

I would like to say a big thank you to all staff, from the time I went in hospital to coming home.

Specially to the lovely caring staff on Ward B7, who looked after me for a 2 nights stay, after my bunion op.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017