Peterborough City Hospital

Telephone: 01733 678000
Address: Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ
Website: http://www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs.uk

Tony Wilks gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Elderly Mothers visit to A&E

My elderly mother was taken to A&E last week after a nasty fall .I followed in my car and was surprised and delighted to see her already in a cubicle having already started her treatment. Both my mother and myself have nothing but the most respect and gratitude to the doctor and various nurses who cared for her . Peterborough hospital is an excellent example of the NHS at its very best .A big thank you to all concerned including the ambulance staff who were amazing.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 11 September 2014

Anonymous gave Haematology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very poor follow up after surgery.

After surgery told my wife would need a scan, by surgeon to find extent of cancer spread. this did not happen. It is now 4 weeks since surgery and still no sign of scan. Told at last visit this would come through quickly, it has not. we leave messages but calls are not returned when we are at the hospital we are told all the right things but this is not followed up by action.
Do I have to take this matter further.

Could I have your reaction to this matter, face to face would be good.

Thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 17 September 2014

Anonymous reviewed Cancer Services at Peterborough City Hospital

Welcoming environment, attentive staff.

Welcoming environment, attentive staff.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 23 September 2014

Anonymous reviewed Cardiology at Peterborough City Hospital

Cardiac Investigations

I have very recently been referred by my GP to this department. I cannot praise highly enough the efficiency and standard of care I received during the various procedures I underwent. Everything was fully explained to me and the Doctor and staff were friendly and caring, with no long waiting times. Well done Peterborough City Hospital.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

DaveS gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceeded our expectations.

The care support my mother and my family received from the Ambulance crew, A and E and the Emergency Short stay ward was exceptional and with great dignity and thoughtfulness.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 30 September 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

caroline gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A& E Broken leg 20/08/2014

The above was dealt with very well, regarding a full leg temp plaster apart from when i was offered crutches, i was told if you can't use them without weight baring on the broken leg, your not going home. i was then offered a wheel chair with a porter, to get my prescription, then left there, i was in tears and so much pain, i left my prescription with the Pharmacy to be collected the following day by my elderly Mother, i then had to make my way to the main reception on my own, on crutches 1st time ever, i asked the lady if she could call a number for me, to be collected by a friend as i had no credit left on my phone, she reluctantly agreed and said what's the number? i had to fumble about whilst trying to keep my broken leg safe and up right whilst looking for the number required, it was to much trouble for her, i also said can you pass the phone please once it's ringing, as i couldn't get to the other side of the desk, thank the lord that my friend answered the phone and came and collected me, so from A&E on wards no help at all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 06 September 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant

Received fabulous treatment after breaking my wrist. The doctor and his team were first class and i could not have received better care from the private sector. Hospital ward staff caring and professional and attentive. Theatre staff were lovely and put me at ease especially the lovely lady that took me down. Hand therapy staff just the same and so sweet.. The reception staff and cleaners also great. Volunteers so kind when i got lost too! My wrist has healed really well. I am in total awe of how amazing everyone was and how genuinely caring and kind the whole hospital is.

With all the criticism of the nhs how wonderful to be able to report such a great experience especially when you have an accident and are scared and in pain. Huge and heartfelt thank you.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 September 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 2 stars

frustrating

A and e dept a nightmare. Fine on my admission but when i went back with numb fingers and painful cast as instructed by nhs direct i was left waiting for hours. No effective triage process and reception staff uncaring and offhand despite me being tearful and in pain. I was told i was next and despite me being last one there new people were going in before me.

I eventually went home in tears and had to wait to ring the plaster room next day for help and a new cast as it was too tight.

They need to see the genuine folk before those there for a family outing eating drinking and chatting on their mobiles.

I was so angry at their attitide to my distress and genuine problem.

Such a pity they let the rest of the hospital down

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 September 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good but oh so much staff chatter and noise at shift change!

The ward seemed to run smoothly during my stay with the exception of morning shift changeovers. Oh the noise! What seemed like endless excited personal chatter and too long for staff to settle down into their shift! Otherwise the shifts seemed to run fairly smoothly with efficient and caring staff, but during the changeover call buttons were not answered for long periods, mine for over 45 minutes, necessitating going against advice and moving myself to the bathroom rather than waiting for help, having settled back on my bed in day clothes before anyone came to see me and not because there were no available staff, they were just too absorbed in their personal lives and holiday plans to hear the bells above the noise created.
Only other problem was a very loud and demanding patient who screamed and swore and sobbed beginning at any and every quiet time, disrupting all the other patients and from what I heard and saw, had staff scared to attend her, though mostly there were numerous staff in attention for long periods. Perhaps such a disruptive and attention seeking patient unsettling both staff and other pateints should have been moved off a ward where everyone is going through very difficutl and painful recoveries? The patient was attended for about an hour to indulge in a very long shower, boasting loudly in the common area outside rooms of all the beauty treatments she had indulged in with donated toiletries, forgetting the pain which had her screaming and swearing the rest of the time! I gave up waiting for someone to help me wash my back and got a relative to do this for me at visiting time. My advice is to scream and swear and sob and get agressive and threatening and you will get 5 star personal attention! ( mind I thought the hospital said such behaviour will not be tolerated........?) Don't be dignified pateint who waits quietly for a call for pain relief to be answered in the knowledge you will be one of many- just go for it, get loud and aggressvie and it will become your ward!
Otherwise I was very impressed by the thoroughness of the girl who cleaned my room, the friendliness of the waiter and the standard of care given by the HCAs. The night staff were efficient and kind in particular and did their best in the difficulties caused by the disruptive pateint, not once criticising or complaining about their conflicts in dealing with all patients ( though could be overheard doing so in the corridor) in their care whilst trying to help the disruptive one in turn. Plenty of other staff and doctors were summoned to the disruptive one and stayed with her for very long periods, so no one can say the problem was not under discussion, but as a patient I was so so pleased to get home and escape another night of her disruption.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 17 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

jacqsmac gave Respiratory Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

first class 5* hospital

My husband Peter has just spent the last 2wks on ward B12. From the very start his treatment and staffing levels have been better than any private hospital could provide. Every one is so helpful and so caring, the food is first class and nothing is too much trouble. a big big big thank you to the consultant and the entire team of staff on B12, l don't know where we would have been without any of you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014