Peterborough City Hospital

Telephone: 01733 678000
Address: Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ
Website: http://www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Took forever

Between the remarks of "you'l have to come back, that machine is operated by someone on holiday" to "I cant find your records" etc, I went private, had 18 months of dozens of scans, two operations and was discharged before PB NHS did their 8th scan and discharged me because OE had fixed the problem.

People will go blind with delays like this.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

MJ gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Diabetes Support

I found that I was not consulted on decisions that were made by my consultant. Neither did my consultant of the team bother to give me the results & decision of their musings (after a month or so, I had to keep calling the secretary to find out) They eventually wrote to me.

Very disappointed with the communication from the diabetes team at Peterborough. If I had a choice to move somewhere else, I would. Unfortunately, Peterborough is my only practical choice. In conclusion, very poor at communication.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

Mr Butler gave Ophthalmology at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Patiets are just sheets of paper.

I am diabetic and was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. I had an operation for the left eye early in 2014 and have since been forgotten. E-mails are ignored and a letter from my doctor was totally misread as a request for a first eye examination. I am not a person, I am just a file of papers , stamped as somehow complete, and put back into some archive.

This message will also be ignored.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 31 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

One condescending doctor and other student??

I went to A&E today, Bank Holiday Monday, with a suspected broken toe after walking into a heavy wooden chair leg. While I am aware this is not serious nevertheless I was in pain and could hardly stand let alone walk. I had my small child with me too. We waited 2.5 hours, which I was kind of expecting (perhaps not quite so long!) as more serious/vulnerable cases are usually prioritised, so that was fine. However while waiting I noticed one doctor being quite condescending and rude to a middle aged man in full earshot of the whole waiting room, I think the man had simply enquired how long it might be until he was seen and he'd been there over 2.5 hours. This female doctor was very rude and snappy to him and I felt it was completely unnecessary ; it was clear she either did not want to be there or was on some sort of power trip! I think we all felt for the man, who was clearly taken aback. The doctor came out a couple more times and was impatient and unfriendly. When finally I was called through I saw this doctor too. I felt she had a poor manner, seemed quite unsympathetic and curt with me, and made feel quite uncomfortable, making a comment about not having had any slippers on when I damaged my toe. I was X rayed and then told to wait again. Another 30 minutes passed by which time my child had had enough and was tired and hungry. I approached the minor injuries desk and a doctor said she'd look at the X-ray, she was very nice but seemed to be training as she had to consult others about my X ray. Finally she brought a rather rude bossy nurse to strap my toe. I waited for her to come back as she said she'd get me some analgesics and I heard the nurse say to her "what does she want now?" then she told me I'd have to buy some from the shop (at 7pm on bank holiday Monday). I can't drive now or walk! I was given no information about how I would be contacted to attend the fracture clinic, I had to ask the desk on my way out. I realise staff are overworked but I'd expect doctors and nurses to be a little more approachable and have better people skills really. The area I was seen in was grubby too considering the hospital us relatively new. I'd suggest going to the City Care Centre unless you have a real emergency!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 25 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Steph Davys gave Maternity service at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't have asked for better care!

I was made to feel so comfortable and cared for when in PCH for induction of labour for my twins. It was my 3rd day /4th night when the consultants decided that a emergency c-section would be the best option as my labour wouldn't continue. During the section my babies were delivered fine and healthy and the midwives were fantastic at keeping me involved. Unfortunately there were complications and I then lost a lot of blood and required a transfusion. Everyone in theatre tried to keep me informed and as comfortable as possible. After theatre the midwives were extremely helpful with my 2 new bundles of joy, changing and feeding when needed and helping me breastfeed them. I am aware that this is a normal day to day thing for midwives but the support from them was truly exceptional and I cannot thank them enough.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 25 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

jacqsmac gave Respiratory Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

first class 5* hospital

My husband Peter has just spent the last 2wks on ward B12. From the very start his treatment and staffing levels have been better than any private hospital could provide. Every one is so helpful and so caring, the food is first class and nothing is too much trouble. a big big big thank you to the consultant and the entire team of staff on B12, l don't know where we would have been without any of you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Ruth B gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A Simple Routine Condition failed to be diagnosed

During May I was taken to A & E at Peterborough City Hospital by ambulance with acute stomach pains.
A few hours later i was discharged with an incorrect diagnosis.

Pains persisted, but not as acute and medication was taken as exactly as prescribed through June/July.

I was later readmitted to A& E with the more significant acute acute pains. Discharged a few hours later.

After Discharge saw my GP who arranged for tests at a local clinic, immediate diagnosis of gallstones - Simple !!

Why was I subjected to months of unnecessary pain and worry, when this should have been a simple routine matter to diagnose?

Why were Peterborough City Hospital incapable of diagnosing such a routine condition?

How much extra cost has the taxpayer had to fund as a result of the inability of this hospital to make a simple diagnosis?

Very Poor - I now have virtually no confidence in this NHS Foundation Trust

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good but oh so much staff chatter and noise at shift change!

The ward seemed to run smoothly during my stay with the exception of morning shift changeovers. Oh the noise! What seemed like endless excited personal chatter and too long for staff to settle down into their shift! Otherwise the shifts seemed to run fairly smoothly with efficient and caring staff, but during the changeover call buttons were not answered for long periods, mine for over 45 minutes, necessitating going against advice and moving myself to the bathroom rather than waiting for help, having settled back on my bed in day clothes before anyone came to see me and not because there were no available staff, they were just too absorbed in their personal lives and holiday plans to hear the bells above the noise created.
Only other problem was a very loud and demanding patient who screamed and swore and sobbed beginning at any and every quiet time, disrupting all the other patients and from what I heard and saw, had staff scared to attend her, though mostly there were numerous staff in attention for long periods. Perhaps such a disruptive and attention seeking patient unsettling both staff and other pateints should have been moved off a ward where everyone is going through very difficutl and painful recoveries? The patient was attended for about an hour to indulge in a very long shower, boasting loudly in the common area outside rooms of all the beauty treatments she had indulged in with donated toiletries, forgetting the pain which had her screaming and swearing the rest of the time! I gave up waiting for someone to help me wash my back and got a relative to do this for me at visiting time. My advice is to scream and swear and sob and get agressive and threatening and you will get 5 star personal attention! ( mind I thought the hospital said such behaviour will not be tolerated........?) Don't be dignified pateint who waits quietly for a call for pain relief to be answered in the knowledge you will be one of many- just go for it, get loud and aggressvie and it will become your ward!
Otherwise I was very impressed by the thoroughness of the girl who cleaned my room, the friendliness of the waiter and the standard of care given by the HCAs. The night staff were efficient and kind in particular and did their best in the difficulties caused by the disruptive pateint, not once criticising or complaining about their conflicts in dealing with all patients ( though could be overheard doing so in the corridor) in their care whilst trying to help the disruptive one in turn. Plenty of other staff and doctors were summoned to the disruptive one and stayed with her for very long periods, so no one can say the problem was not under discussion, but as a patient I was so so pleased to get home and escape another night of her disruption.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 17 August 2014

Jane gave General Surgery at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E and ward A3

I was admitted to A and E with a sceptic abdomen. The care I received in A and E was exceptional. They were efficient, caring and kept me informed of what was happening to me. Admission to hospital is always a scary thing, but I felt safe and looked after in this environment. Thank you everyone, staff levels are obviously stretched, but on this occasion it did not detract from my care. This is a true reflection of the professionalism of the staff involved.
I was admitted to Ward A3. Once again my care was exemplary. All of the team kept me fully informed of my condition and what needed to be done. My stay lasted 2 and half weeks so a lot of patience was needed on both sides! All medical staff were caring and understanding and very professional.
The nursing staff were brilliant! They too were obviously stretched at times, but their caring attitude and compassion was much appreciated. They also gave me a few good laughs at times, greatly needed! I cannot thank them all enough.
If this gets read, please pass on to the departments and staff involved. People are so quick to complain, that hopefully something positive feedback will help them to carry on the amazing work they do. Thank you once again .

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

Cooper gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 4 stars

wonderful

My elderly father was admitted twice in a week due to mini strokes,then a 3rd time in the same week with two infections.I cannot praise the staff in Aand E and also Ward A9 highly enough.They all went the extra mile to make sure myDad was treated with dignity and care.He is still there,but I know he is in wonderful hands even though they are under so much pressure with the the amount of staff they have.Well done every one and Thank you.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 09 August 2014