Peterborough City Hospital

01733 678000 Edith Cavell Campus, Bretton Gate, Bretton , Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE3 9GZ

Sharon gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb

Having a wonderful gastroenterologist is so important when talking about bowels....

I have to say that mine at Peterborough is the best I have had. Due to an ongoing condition and moving a lot I have had other gastroenterologists! Mine in Peterborough is absolutely superb.

They come out to meet me. They really listen and genuinely cares. They have great, even understanding how I miss eating proper foods and desperate to go on my first holiday in 20 years. Not easy when you have multiple critical illnesses. It is so lovely to meet a Consultant that genuinely cares and wants to improve my quality of life. Talking about bowel movements etc is never easy but they have so much empathy and understanding it makes tt so easy to talk.

Yes, I do try to totally help myself eating only good homemade nutrition etc but they appreciate that I cannot go out for a meal like (it seems) everybody else can do.

Genuinely this consultant is brilliant. They are the only consultant since NHS happenings at ither hospitals that I have total trust and confidence with by myself.

As usual the hospital waa spotless, additionally the outpatient Receptionist waa so friendly and so very helpful.

Nothing but praise. Well done Peterborough.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 May 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 10 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your visit to our hospital. It is always a pleasure for our staff to read comments such as yours and I will ensure they are passed on.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Richard Hay-Brown gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment in A&E

I came to the A&E Dept 6.30pm on Thursday 5th May 2016, after collapsing at home just earlier that evening.
I suspected I had suffered a heart attack as I have had heart problems.
I was attended to immediately on my arrival, and very quickly extensive tests were carried out.
It was discovered I had a blood infection and after ECG blood test and x-ray was sent home with the relevant drugs little after 1am on the 6th.

I should just like to put on record how fantastic all the staff were, also explaining to the their findings as the examination progressed.

Many thanks for the treatment I received and thanks to the staff involved.
Regards Richard Hay-Brown

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 07 May 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 10 May 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

Ex Cancer gave Cancer Services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Robert Horwell Centre- thanks

Greatest thanks to my breast care team for referring me to the Robert Horwell Centre

The staff and the help and the patients are fantastic at the Robert Horwell Centre.

Thanks to Macmillan too.

Without this team of staff and their facilities many of us would have given up hope. Hope is all we need at times. The cancer staff in the main hospital haven't got the time to help us with the mental challenges we face after diagnosis. I personally don't know what I would have done without the Robert Horwell staff. They are second to none.

We have been informed that changes are taking place, but it appears that nobody has actually spoken to users of this facility. You appear to have taken data from somewhere to make changes, but without having directly spoken to previous users or current users. Many current users are scared of the changes that seem to be planned.

Please be aware that Users are vulnerable to changes.... We love the arts and crafts therapy. We need to interact, as Cancer can be isolating. We need to talk about our feelings.
Cancer is different to a diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes is controllable if you reduce carbs etc... Cancer, well we can only hope that radiotherapy, chemo etc works... It is largely out of our hands.. We can all try to include turmeric, ginger, astragalus etc but there is no actual significant thing we can do to help ourselves besides the drink and smoking if relevant. It is out of our control....this is why Robert Horwell is so essential. We need to talk about our feelings, re evaluating our lives, making amends (or burning bridges), making wills, DNR's etc. the hospital staff do not have time to help our mental needs and this is why Robert Horwell is essential. Cancer diagnosis is totally different to any other critical illness. Please consider this when making changes to RH centre.

Please, please can the persons making changes talk to previous/current Users. Many are upset at changes that are planned. We love the Robert Horwell Centre. It is a life line to us. The staff are wonderful. We know you have to move with the times... But please, don't just work from data or statistics. Please speak to Users.

We thank our Consultants from Peterborough for our referrals to the RH Centre. Please thank the consultants throughout the hospital, please thank Macmillan. Please thank the Robert Horwell staff for being such wonderful caring people.

Thank you all so much.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 11 May 2016

Thank you for your honest post about the challenges that people who have cancer face and the fantastic support you have received from our staff.

We aim to increase the number of people we can support through increasing the range of services we provide to clients and their families. These improvements have been developed from an extensive listening exercise in October 15 where over 200 patients and families were involved in designing our new wellbeing service. Our new Wellbeing service will help more people overcome the challenges they face and help them to move forward.

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disgusting and untruthful!

My husband who is 78 years old has the misfortune to be on Ward A9. He is a very ill man and though I do acknowledge some staff are busy people on several occasions he has been left laying in his own liquid faeces though constantly ringing for help.to get out of bed. He was left in bed for five days until I told them he should not be left. It took then about five minutes to help him up to sit in a chair. Added to this a member of staff has been very untruthful in saying that he swore them which he did not. In exasperation he swore "about" laying in his own filth which I tackled the nurse about.
The icing on the cake was another member of staff went into his room just before they left off duty to tell him that their nurse was a good nurse.

This incident in the morning regarding the member of staff being untruthful had been laid to rest but though I know staff "stick together" how disgraceful to go to him at the end of the day and reignite the situation.
What a shocking way to treat old people. All this is nothing short of harassment of a 78 year old who cannot get up and walk out.
Having said all that some of the staff are very kind and compassionate but some should not be working alongside the elderly.
Disgraceful!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 11 May 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 13 May 2016

I am so sorry to read about you and your husbands experience and would urge you, if you have not done so already, to raise your concerns as a complaint, We would be keen to learn from your experience and ensure no other patient experiences the same thing.

Our complaints staff can be contacted on complaints@pbh-tr.nhs.uk

ReallyFedUp reviewed Peterborough City Hospital

Not the experience I expected

Feeling so sore and raw another another botched venesection.
Seems I am not the only one enjoying special ACU venesection treatment, but that's little comfort.
This has been going on for months and months. Never gets any better.
How hard is it to extract a pint of blood, safely? Nearly impossible i feel - unit has run out of the correct IV bags, no tape, missing gauze, wrong needles. Someone rushes around the oncology/chemo unit to find some basic supplies and then the most junior member of staff on the unit gets the plum job of trying (and repeatedly failing) to install a cannula correctly. Was this a training exercise, who knows?
No luck getting it working after 2 failed needle attempts, so resident nurse expert is sent for. Time for a walk round the car park whilst waiting.
Another 3 attempts and finally it's working.
Predictably, then get left unattended after a while and sure enough the line blocks after 10 mins; takes 15 mins for anyone to notice.
So....now we try wiggling the cannula (ouch! ) a bit to no effect, change the barely used IV bag (that'll be why there aren't any on the unit), hunt for another IV bag (luckily one discovered at the back of a cupboard somewhere on the haematology unit down the corridor) and off we go again. And again. And again.
Nice to see the new call bell system, does it work? Much better than the little hand bells that people told you to ring when you were collapsing/passing out (but which seemed to grow legs or got tracked down and placed well out of reach).
Finally, after some confusion about the amount of blood extracted across 3 IV bags, we are done. And I am totally exhausted, aching and sore. It's taken almost 4 hours for a procedure that should take 20-30 minutes. To cap it off, the hospital car park charges extra after 3. 5hours so I get stung for £4. 20 before I can actually leave the building.
I have months and months more of this to look forward to. Not sure I can do this anymore.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 20 May 2016

I am so sorry to read of your experience and would strongly urge you to contact me directly so we can discuss the concerns you have raised or you can raise these as a formal complaint. Our complaints staff can be contacted on complaints@pbh-tr.nhs.uk or you can contact me directly on lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk.

I can advise you that we currently undertaking a survey of all our haemachromatosis patients so we can receive their feedback direct and from that will be taking action to address any concerns raised.

Deputy Chief Nurse

JOAN O'HALLORAN gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent attention

I was admitted into Peterborough City Hospital A&E early on Saturday morning The care I received was excellent. I have read so many negative reports about the NHS especially weekend hospital care I received excellent attention & care from all the members of staff, the first responder, ambulance technicians, nursing staff, doctor & surgeon,
I was allowed to go home that day & waiting for a scan tomorrow to find out whats happening with my gall stones. no it wasn't a suspected heart attack. Thank you.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 May 2016

Peterborough City Hospital has not yet replied.

MoggyFluff reviewed Peterborough City Hospital

My time at ambulatory care unit

I was sent to ambulatory care unit for blood to be taken. Kept me waiting almost an hour with no explanation even though nobody else waiting. Nurse wasn't very friendly - didn't even have the needles or other stuff required, so another wait for the nurse to go somewhere to find the things needed to do it. Horrible having blood taken by nurse that was very rough. The nurse tried several times to get the needle in and take the blood. Really hurt my arm, no apology. Still have the bruises. Never again.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 13 May 2016

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I am obviously concerned about the comments you have posted. We want to ensure all of our patients receive good quality care and I am disappointed that this is not what happened in your case.

I would urge you, if you have not done so already, to raise your concerns as a complaint as we would be keen to learn from your experience .

Our complaints staff can be contacted on complaints@pbh-tr.nhs.uk

Deputy Chief Nurse

Alan gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care with courtesy in A & E

During the last 3 years my wife has been taken to A & E sometimes diagnosed as mini strokes. The care with courtesy has been fantastic every time.
Early this morning she was taken there after a fall in our bathroom. She was examined
by a doctor who is on a work-experience period. Their bedside manner and courtesy were superb and this was matched by their care and diagnosis. It was a great joy
to be a patient (and husband carer) and to be on the receiving end of this quality service.
Our grateful thanks to them and all nurses today.
Alan & Elizabeth Blakemore

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 07 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

Deputy Chief Nurse

James Leckenby gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

James wardA2

Spent 5 nights on WardA2.All staff where amazing.Thanks to the HCA who does a wonderful job.Cant remember name of nurse on nights , but a big thanks to them also.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 09 April 2016

Peterborough City Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

Thank you for your lovely comments and I will ensure they are passed onto the relevant staff. I hope thta you are now feeling better

Deputy Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Peterborough City Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent service

111 very good first response excellent ambulance excellent was in hospital 30mins after the call thank you NHS.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 26 April 2016