Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK

0333 200 1820 c/o Care UK - Level C, Southampton NHS Treatment Centre, Brintons Terrace , Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 0YG

Fatbloke gave Minor injuries unit at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 3 stars

Painful swollen mouth Turned away

My wife went to walk in centre on sunday with painful swollen infected gum caused by a new denture rubbing hoping to get anti biotics , not allowed to against the law was the reply go to out of hours dentist walk in centre shirley did that arrived at 13.00 to be told the one and only emergency dentist was going to lunch and had six patients booked in by 111 service so probably would not get seen that day, what a wonderful out of hours service we have, a city the size of Southampton and six patients stop you getting treated from 13.00 to 20.00 when they close.
Why is it the hospital could look at her if she injured her mouth or got a wasp sting but not because it was caused by a denture rubbing if your in pain they should treat you no matter what the cause, a drug addict can be taken in there if they overdosed and treated but because its "Dental" we are not allowed to treat you, who makes these rules and why.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 14 August 2017

Thank you for your comments - unfortunately it is right that we are unable to treat anything dental related. This is a decision that has been made by NHS England and is out of our control. The only profession who are licenced to treat any dental problems are the dental professionals themselves. For dental emergencies that occur outside of normal surgery hours you are able to contact the emergency dental service on 111 - option 1.
If you would to like to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact us at the Minor Injury Unit on 0333 999 7613

Anonymous reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK

Never had such poor treatment

I got referred to this hospital for 2 separate reasons in the past few months and I have never been so badly treated by a hospital. First I had appointment with a clinic here that flat out lied to me and my GP. Firstly refusing to treat me on made up grounds ( saying that at 25 I want old enough for treatment) then when I asked if they could refer me to a different clinic that would treat me they said they would ring me back at which point they told me that my long term health condition wasn't a good enough reason to want the appointment apparently this nurses opinion on my body is more important than mine and my GPs. I then asked if I came to the appointment would they actually be willing to listen to me , I didn't get an answer after being told I would be called back instead I got a letter telling me the appointment had been cancelled. Going back to my GP she had been told by them that I had cancelled the appointment . This is unbelievably unprofessional behaviour. The next appointment was to see an ear and throat specialist. I took my partner with me apparently this was a mistake because to the doctor I saw that meant that I a woman didn't deserve to be listened to as he constantly ignored me the patient to talk to my partner was rude and constantly talked over me .

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 2 stars

Conflicting advice and poor emergency care

I had my wisdom tooth removed with a surgical procedure and local anaesthetic due to a 3 month infection and pus in the gum around the tooth and two lots of antibiotics. What should have been a straightforward procedure has turned into more than 2 weeks of hell. I have previously had two wisdom teeth removed and had no problem with them.

I have since learnt that the dentist removing my tooth could have broken the tooth into pieces rather than removing large amounts of bone to help remove my nearly full erupted wisdom tooth. I was sent home after my surgery and told to take the same painkillers that I would take for a headache. This was definitely not enough and as soon as the local anaesthetic had worn off i was i agony.

Two days after I had my surgery my partner had his same wisdom tooth removed. He had no infection prior to this and was having it removed due to its angle. He was in the chair for 5 minutes (mine was around 40) and was sent home with antibiotics and strong painkillers, he has no co-morbidities that would indicate that he may need these. He actually didn't take his antibiotics and was fine - clearly demonstrating there was no need for him to have been prescribed them.

After not being able to sleep and being in severe pain in the middle of the 3rd night I called the 24 hour helpline who was not very helpful and told me to call back at 8am or to call NHS 111.

I ended up getting to see my local dentist who packed the gaping hole in my mouth( which gave great relief to my pain) and gave me antibiotics. Days later the pain was still pretty intense so I called at 2.30 on a weekday afternoon but told they had no surgeons in and so was given an appointment the next day. Unsurprisingly I had no continuity of care and saw a different surgeon who looked in my mouth for a couple of seconds only, gave me a different mouth wash and changed my antibiotic and sent me on my way.

I am so disappointed by the treatment and aftercare I have received and their inconsistent prescribing patterns re prescribing antibiotics and painkillers .

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 10 July 2017

I am extremely sorry that your experience of the Centre was not positive. We welcome feedback on all aspects of the care we provide and the Patient Relations Facilitator would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this with you further. The Patient Relations Facilitator would be very grateful if you could contact her at Tina.Hobbs@careuk.com or 02380 712082. Thank you.

Anonymous gave Minor injuries unit at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 5 stars

Ankle injury

I attended MIU with my elderly mum who had gone over on her ankle. We were dealt with very professionally and quickly. From start to finish 3 hours. Assessed , x-ray, results. The staff were lovely, very polite and we were informed regularly if we had to wait between each process.
So much negativity about the NHS this we could not fault - brilliant.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 15 July 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 11 August 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad your visit to us went well and wish your mother a speedy recovery from her injury.

Alick gave Minor injuries unit at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 5 stars

First class service

Having had cause to use the Minor injuries unit before I was hoping that my visit today
Would be as easy as the previous time,and I was not disappointed,the staff once again
Were very professional with an easy to talk to approach.thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 03 June 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 04 June 2017

Many thanks for your positive comments - it is good to hear we lived up to your expectation. please do come and visit us again in the future should you find yourself in need of help with a minor injury or minor illness

James gave Urology at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 5 stars

Amazing

I was very worried about going under general anaesthetic after a bad experience when I was younger. However every member of staff made me laugh and we're so reassuring, they also told me to come in at a sensible time which meant minimal waiting around. They also have wifi so I could keep in touch with friends which was nice. These factors meant I felt minimal distress. I was given a further dose of painkillers in the recovery room as soon as I requested them. The surgeon was so reassuring and even visited me when I was recovering which I really appreciated. Could not fault any of my experience, thank you all so much, James.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for your comments and we are delighted that we were able to offer you the reassurance that you needed.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 5 stars

Exemplary Care

I was referred by my GP for a routine colonoscopy as I have long term Crohn's Disease and my mother survived bowel cancer 3 years ago. I have to say that the service that I received right from the telephone assessment, as I'm on the Isle of Wight, through to the procedure itself, was first class.
The staff involved on the day were all both friendly and professional and I was kept informed throughout of waiting times. The procedure was carried out with the facility for me to view which I really appreciated as it meant that I could ask questions throughout. All my questions were answered and I was left feeling totally reassured that I had had the best possible treatment and that there were no health concerns.
I lead a busy life and the staff did everything they could to facilitate this procedure. My wish to not be given any sedation unless necessary was respected and as a result, I did not have any sedation and was able to leave soon after the procedure with no ill effects at all and carry on with my day, even attending a meeting that evening!
I even received a follow up call the next day.
I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all involved.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 26 June 2017

We are delighted that your experience under our care was such a positive one. All of the team will be grateful for your comments. Thank you.

Trisha Hill gave Orthopaedics at Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK a rating of 5 stars

Total Hip Replacement Sugery

I was admitted on Saturday 24th June 2017 for a total hip replacement. The care I received throughout my stay was exemplary. The nursing staff were compassionate , understanding, attentive, patient and so kind at all times.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 27 June 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 30 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback and being so complimentary about our staff. They will be delighted to read your comments.

Evening Hospital visit

I had to visit the hospital one evening with snapped tendon in my finger there was a wait but the staff were so friendly don't know what some of the reviews want they are very busy and rushed off there feet but still had time to xray and access my situation with no rudeness if fact they were very friendly and efficient.

Had a follow up apt which was good went in around the time my apt was and were helpful and professional. I have another apt which I know will be the same as the staff are really helpful and knowing the pressure they are under in a very busy A and E was impressed.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for your kind comments. We are always pleased to hear about our patients experience with us. We wish you a speedy full recovery and should you need to visit us again in the future we would happy to see you again.

Quick and thorough

Went to RSH today as I fell down some concrete steps yesterday and my ankle is swollen and painful. Luckily no breaks but really impressed with the MIU. Seen within 20 minutes for initial assessment, had x rays and results following that and this was all completed in an hour!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017

Royal South Hants Hospital - Care UK replied on 22 May 2017

Thank you for your positive comments, it is always nice to hear we have provided an excellent service in a timely manor.