Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

IreneT gave Surgery - Breast at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Very Impressed with Breast Unit

I attended the Breast Unit at the City Hospital Campus yesterday. My appointment was 9.30am and I arrived approximately 15 minutes early. The building itself is extremely inviting and was very welcoming on entry. The waiting area was clean and very relaxing and I was called in just before 9.30. The nursing staff, trainee Doctors and Consultant were amazing. The whole experience was very dignified and I never once felt awkward. I can only say that I was extremely impressed with the whole experience and having also been for an ultrasound was leaving the unit before 10.15. Thanks NHS.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 15 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 17 August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Breast Unit, we are glad you were so impressed by the Unit and the service you received from the doctors and nurses here. I am especially pleased that the environment and the staff both helped you to feel relaxed and respected. I will be sure to share your kind comments with all my colleagues here.
Best wishes,
Belinda Dring,
Acting Matron, Breast Outpatients

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

my recent surgery

i was in barclay ward 17th august 2015 following vats surgery the staff was fantastic in my care really looked after me nothing was to much trouble thanks to the staff's care im now on my way to making a full recovery x

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 August 2015

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It’s great to hear you’re making such a good recovery after your recent surgery. I’ve shared your kind words with my team on Barclay Ward.

Lorraine Alexander
Ward Manager, Barclay Ward.

Robert Davies gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Papplewick Ward

On the 24th July I was sent to the QMC by my GP, with suspected angina, after various tests at the Admissions Unit, I was informed that I, had suffered an heart attack and would be transferred to the City Hospital, this was at 1530 hrs finally at 20.30 hrs, the transport arrived to take me to Papplewick Ward at City Hospital, whilst at the admissions unit, I was well cared for and given drinks and sandwiches as well as hourly BP checks.
On arrival I, was well looked after by the night staff and allocated a nice side room, I, was hooked up to the heart monitors after have the necessary swabs taken which I understand is now standard on admission, which I feel is a very good system.
I, had an angiogram on the Tuesday and my consultant told me the next day, that they needed for me to have a Cardiac MRI before finally deciding further treatment.
The results weren't what we wanted to hear but the Consultant met my family on the Wednesday and answered all our questions.
Whilst on the ward I was asked to move to another side room to allow a seriously ill person to be close to the Nurse Station, I was asked to sit in the lounge whilst the room was cleaned, this took around 1 hour, the next day 1 of the contract cleaning staff was complaining that they were late finishing the day before because they had to change the curtains in my side room and give the room a good clean.
I was very impressed to see the Ward Manager helping out with bed making, serving lunch and cleaning the monitoring equipment etc. I understand they had not long been in post but all the ward staff spoke highly of their hands on approach, also they sat with me and talked things through with me, which I found very comforting.
The food I found to be quite good but only having a 1 week menu it did become rather boring into my 2nd week, having watch James Martin Series on hospital food last year, I think the Catering Director should get James to teach the staff how to make soup, which was so thin it was almost see through, but suppose it all comes down to contract caterers making a big profit.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 20 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 21 August 2015

Hi Robert. Thanks for providing such detailed feedback. I’m pleased to read that you have been so well cared for with us on Papplewick and elsewhere in the Trust. Your comments on how we can make the experience of future patients even better are very much noted – including better soup and also reminding colleagues that they are ‘on stage’ and to be mindful when their conversations can be overheard by patients.

Thanks again,
Karen Whiting.
Ward manager, Papplewick.

Neil Gilbey gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Trent Cardiac, Short stay review

I was admitted to the Trent Cardiac short stay ward in preparation for a pacemaker being fitted; from the outset, the staff were welcoming and good humoured though not at the expense of professionalism: all knew what to do and when to do it.

At the appointed time, I was taken to theatre and was again greeted by the staff who were all well drilled in their predetermined tasks. Again, there was a good natured atmosphere which went a long way in assuaging any anxiety.

Throughout the procedure I was kept informed of progress by the cardiologist; there was some discomfort but absolutely no pain. It was all over in about 40 minutes, the wound is healing well and there is minimum scarring. Top marks to all concerned.

Following the operation, and back on the ward, I was taken through what and not what to do by the physiologists who also set the heart rate of my new pacemaker using what appeared to be a laptop computer (some of the guys from the rugby club wanted to know the password but I respectfully declined to give it them).

The cardiac doctor then came to see me to explain how the procedure went and itemise any subsequent medication.

Many thanks for a job well done to all concerned.

Neil Gilbey

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 August 2015

Many thanks for getting in touch. I hope our reply finds you now recovering well after your operation. It’s pleasing to hear your experience of the Trent Cardiac Short Stay Unit, your surgery and aftercare were as good as they could be. We are very fortunate to have such hard-working and talented staff across NUH, including everyone in our cardiology team. I’ve shared your comments with the team. Thank you and best wishes,

Lesley Reilly
Clinical Lead, Cardio-Respiratory and Stroke

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

Loxley ward

I had an awful experience on loxley ward, firstly when having an operation you should have you blood pressure etc checked regularly... This only happened once. Pain killers should be given asap but I had to wait and ask several times, the nurse was extremely lazy and hardly helped at all, they never offered me food or drink and my relatives had to go to the kitchen to ask for me.
they were ment to be discharging me but instead of explaining that the night team would be starting shortly they just vanished for an hour and never explained what was happening.. However once the night nurse came on, they were fantastic and they sorted me asap.
Unfortunately some staff I found where very lazy, and never felt like they cared. But others were absolutely lovely.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 July 2015

Thank you for taking time to feedback about your experience.

We are very concerned to hear that we fell short of the standards we would expect in relation to care standards, communication and pain relief.
To look into your concerns, we will require a little extra information from you. I would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me when it is convenient on 0115 969 1169 ext. 55161 or by email: Debbie.raffle@nuh.nhs.uk

Debbie Raffle,
Ward manager, Loxley.

Charlotte Green gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Level of Care & Professionalism

I had my baby girl last week at The City Maternity Unit & recieved an amazing level of care.
The care was consistant & very thorough for the whole duration of my stay.
My stay was longer than I anticipated due to complications which left me extremley anxious but the labour ward midwives where so caring & patient & not forgetting very reassuring.
The Midwives on Lawrence ward where equally as good & ensured we had everything we needed to feel confident & happy to take our baby home!!
Absolutley faultless care from start to finish!!!
We can't thank the team enough

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 14 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 July 2015

Many congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter Charlotte. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I have shared this with our team on Lawrence Ward.

I hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Rebecca Hayes.
Ward Manager, Lawrence.

Trevor gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Trevor

After suffering a mild cardiac arrest Tues 9th June and taken by ambulance to Kings Mill Hospital's Major Trauma Unit and subsequently admitted for emergency Angiogram the next day. This procedure showed a blocked artery and the Cardiologist decided I had to be transferred to the Nottingham City Hospital for rotational atherectomy before a stent could be fitted. I was transferred there by ambulance at 5am the following morning. The Cardiologist reassured me as I Was extremely nervous, but they put me at ease and explained exactly what they would be doing. This procedure took place Friday 12th June and was successful. The Cardiologist saw me afterwards and reassured me.
When my wife arrived to visit she was met by a Nurse who sat down with us and explained everything about aftercare and answered our questions with patience and confidence. The nurse is a lovely friendly person and radiates happiness to patients. This nurse is super efficient, works with confidence and really cares about patients. Another member of staff was on night duty and although they had a particularly difficult patient who needed one to one treatment they still found time to care for the other patients treating us all with respect.
I am so grateful to all the staff at the Acute Cardiac unit and the treatment I was given. I feel privileged to have been a patient there. Thank you so much.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 14 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 July 2015

Hi Trevor. Thanks for taking time to get in touch. It sounds like our staff did a great job keeping you and your wife informed during your stay. I’ll share your feedback with the cardiology team. I hope you are recovering well.

Caroline Sheppard.
Matron, Cardiology.

Eunice Hulme gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care on Short Stay Unit

In June I had a total knee replacement performed by my surgeon, who as always was kind friendly and caring from arriving early morning the care I received was superb in all departments I was moved to the short stay unit and couldn't have been looked after better, the nurses are all very friendly and caring knew how I liked my black coffee and where always there if needed. I did stay in longer than most due to a complication. the only down side was the food it was terrible even the sandwiches where awful. to me it was very much a case of good food ruined, I would add that this was not just my opinion. A big thank you to all the staff

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 July 2015

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that all our staff made you feel well cared for and I will share you feedback with the team. I’m sorry you weren’t happy with the food and I will pass your comments on to the relevant department.

Sharon Saunders.
Lead Nurse, elective orthopaedics.

Robert Smith gave Genito-Urinary Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Operation & Hospital Stay

I was in hospital for two days for operation in Urology dept. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful, also very efficient. My problem was dealt with speedily following full explanation of the procedure. The overnight stay on Harvey 2 was good, although inevitably one could not expect a normal nights sleep due to the requirements of other patients.

Altogether a very good experience and a credit to the NHS..

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 July 2015

Hi Robert. Thanks for getting in touch. It’s great to hear that you found staff on the ward to be friendly and helpful and you had prompt treatment. I have shared your lovely feedback with the team.

You might be interested to know that our staff awards are now open for nominations. If you wanted to nominate a particular member of staff, or a whole staff team, you can do so via our website (your nomination would fall under the Cancer and Associated Specialties directorate category): http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/

Fay Allen,
Ward manager, Harvey 2.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Incredible Team

I recently gave birth for a second time at the City hospital. I had a rather difficult time last time around and was very anxious about giving birth a second time in case there were similar complications. Whilst I did have some complications the general experience I had was marked by the extraordinary treatment I received from the staff. At all levels both on the labour suite and on the wards I stayed on the dedication expertise and hard work from the staff ensured that I was not just well cared for physically but also emotionally and mentally. The rare occasion when the staff were not quite so competent highlighted the significant difference that having such a skilled group of midwives and doctors can make.

I would like to specifically highlight the work of many of the midwives who looked after me during my stay. The quality of care was exemplary and helped me through some very difficult situations. The many experienced staff I encountered were so helpful in terms of making sure that any medical need was met promptly and also in explaining any procedures or tests I needed or my baby needed.They were also very kind and provided me with a great deal of emotional support during my stay.

I would also like to make note of the extraordinary group of doctors who work across the maternity department. During my stay I saw a number of doctors at a number of levels and I was very impressed with the hard work and dedication shown by many of them. One or two in particular were very kind and all were incredibly efficient. I would also like to highlight how great the pediatric team were and how reassuring it was to have such competent and kind people working with my baby.

However whilst I have nothing but the up most praise for the staff I encountered I have to highlight the extent to which the maternity unit felt chronically short staffed the entire time I was there. Whilst no member of staff complained about the staffing levels it became quite obvious that there were too few midwives especially at nighttime. Furthermore the practice of pulling midwives from the wards when the labour unit was short staffed often created an impossible workload for the remaining staff. I feel very strongly that the reason there were no serious complications or problems that resulted from this shortage of staff was purely because of the incredible dedication and hard work of those there and this should not be the case. I have no medical training so I cannot entirely assess the impact of a midwife looking after in one instance eight ladies ion labour suite at the same time. Similarly I cannot be sure if it is possible that some complications could be lessened if identified earlier on the wards because the midwives had time to look after all the patients effectively. But I do feel that that there should be a better system of planning staff levels and that the practice of pulling midwives off the wards should stop to ensure that patient care is not compromised.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 17 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 June 2015

Thank you so much for your glowing feedback. It’s good to hear about the extraordinary care and emotional support you received from the dedicated staff team involved in your care, particularly during such an emotional time. This is a shining example of our values and doing the best for our patients, and we thank you for sharing this with us. Your feedback will be shared with the staff team involved in your care, including our medical colleagues.

We acknowledge and understand your concerns about staffing levels. Sometimes unexpected absence can affect staffing levels. We appreciate this can cause concern for patients on the wards. However, we have various contingency plans in place to overcome this where it does occur to ensure the safety of our patients.

In light of your experience, you might be interested to know that our annual staff awards are now open for nominations. You may wish to nominate a member of staff or a whole staff team (your nomination would fall under the Family Health category). If you wish to do so, you can nominate via our website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/submit-your-nomination/

Louise Dolby,
Ward Manager,
Labour Suite, City Campus.