Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Rachel gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing new sanctuary room birthing experience!!

I gave birth at City hospital in 2012 and recieved excellent care back then so decided to have my 2nd baby here in April 2015.

When I got there I was shown to one of 4 new birthing rooms in the "Sanctuary" . I didn't know nothing about it prior to getting to hospital, I think they opened in Jan 2015.

Wow what can I say... My birthing experience was amazing. The rooms have been decorated lovely, with dim lighting and candle style lights, a birthing pool, a radio/cd player, beanbags, birthing balls/stools etc. Lots of thought has gone into the rooms and they really are an asset to city hospital. I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to have a natural birthing experience.

All of the midwifes I came into contact with during my stay were fantastic. I could not fault them and to be fair on the night I gave birth, labour ward had closed and they were sending people to queens so they were rushed off there feet but that didn't effect the care I received in anyway.

Well done city maternity!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 April 2015

Hi Rachel. Firstly, many congratulations on the birth of your second baby. We hope you’re both doing well. Thank you for this wonderful feedback about our staff and your care and also our excellent new facilities in the Sanctuary Birthing Centre. We have shared your feedback with the team in Maternity - who will be pleased to know they helped make your experience a special one.

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

requested to be seen by female got male .

I have just had a cystoscopy at City, I was very very scared and due to having had difficult life experiences, I phoned and asked that the procedure was carried out by a female. The nurses I spoke to were lovely, very very kind and reassuring. I felt that they totally understood and acknowledged the reasons for my request. I was told that there was going to be a male on duty the day of my appointment but that a female would carry out the procedure for me.I felt much less anxious about going to the appointment knowing that I would not have to be examined by a male. When I got there this was not the case at all. A nurse did speak to me they were very kind and told me they were tracking down a female doctor and I was very relieved as I was shaking with fear and crying by this time. They went away and I never saw them again. then I was called into the clinic room by the male nurse. I was very distressed by now and told him and the two other staff present about the reasons for my wanting a female to carry out the procedure giving them my history. I did not feel they understood how upset I was , they said I could come back on another day when there would be a woman on duty but I could not face going away and then getting all wound up again so I went ahead with the test. The test itself was fine but I found it highly upsetting to have my genitalia touched by a man, they literally spread your labia with their fingers to clean you and then spread them again prior to inserting the device. As a survivor of sexual trauma I found this horrible and upsetting. I had explained all this on the phone and as I said they were very kind and supportive. Two hours after my appointment I went shopping and I had flashbacks of the assault I suffered, I could not breathe, I was back in that horrible moment which I had not thought about for years. I fully appreciate that many women are fine being examined by a male but I am not for what I feel are very valid reasons. .

On a separate point I was also told that a local anesthetic is always used and gel was put on my urethra which I assumed was an anesthetic.It was in fact lubricant. The device was inserted immediately and I asked ii f they were not going to wait for the anesthetic to take effect. I was told that they never use anesthetic and it hurt me because I currently have a sore urethra due to a having thrush. I was not asked about any medication I was on despite the appointment letter requesting that I write it all down. As I am on quite a lot of medication I did this thinking it was necessary but it is not.

All the staff were polite and professional and acted very quickly when a male patient strayed into the female only waiting area,

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 29 April 2015

I am deeply concerned to read about your experience and would like to apologise for the way you felt while in our care. Unfortunately it isn’t always possible to find female members of staff immediately when patients require treatment. We were unaware of this sensitive issue until your arrival. The male nurse who carried out the procedure discussed the different treatment options with you, including rescheduling your procedure, waiting longer for a female clinician to arrive or having the procedure done in theatre under general anaesthetic. We understand the deep distress this caused you. Please contact 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email Andrea.smith2@nuh.nhs.uk if you wish to discuss further.

Andrea Smith, Sister for Urology Outpatients.

cadgaboo gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

does anyone answer a ringing phone?

I appreciate that this is a very busy hospital but does anyone answer the phone in this hospital?

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 30 April 2015

Hello cadgaboo. Thank you for the feedback. We understand how frustrating it is when nobody answers the phone or indeed it takes too long to get an answer. In order to pass this feedback on to the right team it would be helpful to know who or where you were trying to contact (ie: our switchboard or a specific ward/department, such as stroke as the title of your comment reads). If you would like to let us know you can get in touch at 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.

In the meantime, you may find this list of ward extension numbers for both sites helpful:

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Wouldn't recommend the maternity services to any new mum.

My experience tended to be one of the wards being short staffed so i was told on several occasions on one ward, the labour suite was full due to over demand, labour suite closed following this, some rude staff (one which openly complained about other wards her father had been on in front of a bay of patients), I was not involved in many decisions and I was ignored when I requested some things such as delayed cord cutting, I had lots of delays in treatment despite being scared after being told i needed to be induced as soon as possible due to possible risks, originally given no support in being shown breast feeding, never shown baby bathing etc which antenatal/postnatal book suggested i should have been, i was discharged ill and had to be readmitted later that day which i was thankful for so i could be shown how to do some things with my newborn, which giving credit where credit is due they did this well on readmission. My daughter is thankfully okay but my experience of this hospital is not a good one and if it wasnt for the safety of my unborn child, i would have discharged myself on several occasions. I must mention there were some good staff who went above and beyond their duty, but these were few and far between.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 05 May 2015

We are both sorry and disappointed to hear that your experience in our care wasn’t a good one. The behaviours you have described and lack of support you were offered are not what we expect of our staff. We are pleased to hear your daughter is now doing well. However, we would like to look into your concerns further so that we can investigate what went wrong on this occasion. If you do wish to discuss it further, please do contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 62859 or 0115 9691169 ext. 58030. Alternatively, you can email me at julia.gudgeon@nuh.nhs.uk and I will contact you if you leave your phone number.

Julia Gudgeon
Maternity Matron
Obstetrics and Gynaecology

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Treatment of a cancer patient

My mum visited the GP 13/04/2015 because of having trouble swallowing food. The GP referred her to a consultant whom we saw at the City OPD 20/04/2015. A CT scan followed at QMC on 23/04/2015 and an Endoscopy at the City on 25/04/2015. During the Endoscopy appointment we were told that my mum had Cancer, not only in her stomach but it had spread to her lungs and liver. The care we were given was vey compassionate and caring. It was explained to us that a review would be held on the Monday 27/04/2015 and we would be called in so all options with treatment (or not) could be discussed. If we didn't hear anything by 01/05/2015 to ring the consultants secretary. Nothing was heard and I rang the secretary only to be told that they had only just received the biopsy results and a review would not be on the 4th May due to it being a bank holiday but on the 11/05/2015, we should then hear something later on that week. We are in Limbo. To be told you have Cancer and having to wait at least another 16 days before it is discussed by the Consultant and then maybe add a few more days onto that before my mum and family can be informed about the next steps in her treatment is causing nothing but stress, anxiety and tears to say the least. We have lots of questions to ask and need some answers. In the meantime my mum contacted her GP to say she couldn't swallow her pain killers, it has been changed to liquid form. I also contacted the GP who has since prescribed some Complan drink as no one can live on sucking quavers, wotsits and mint ice-cream due to not being able to swallow. It is very difficult being in Limbo. Sometimes it is hard not to cry, sometimes it is anger at not being able to contact people whom you want answers from as you do not have email addresses etc. My mum is being brave and has not cried yet. I think it very unfair, after having such quick tests, being given the Cancer news and then having to wait for this period of time for further information.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 03 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 May 2015

I am deeply sorry to hear of your mum’s diagnosis and how poorly we have communicated as well as the delays experienced. In order to provide you with the answers you and your mum deserve and provide some clarity on next steps I would like to speak to you please, so that I can look into this further. I would also like to ensure you have a named contact for any questions you may have and details of support groups and services who can help you and your family through what must be a very difficult time. Please do get in touch with me if you are able, at 0115 9691169 ext. 54667

David Nunns
Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist
Trust Cancer Lead Clinician
Nottingham University Hospitals

Jan Gardner gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Trent Cardic Team

The support of the Cardiac team is fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 28 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 April 2015

Thanks for your feedback. We’ll share this with the Cardiac Team. You might be interested to know that nominations for our staff awards open early June. You may wish to consider nominating the team for an award (this would fall under the Cardio-Respiratory & Stroke Directorate category). The online form will be available from June via: www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham City hospital colposcopy

I just want to say how fantastic the staff were during my coloscopy yesterday at the city hospital women's unit.
In particular the nurse who chaperoned me during the procedure was great. Not only did they keep me informed about what was going on and kept me distracted with interesting conversations, they did so without patronising and in a very friendly and welcoming way. It is a very awkward situation to be in, even for someone who was not particularly nervous like I wasnt, but they made me feel as physically and emotionally comfortable as possible and I believe that for other patients they really must be a life saver.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2015

Thank you so much for this glowing feedback. We are proud of our staff who go the extra mile to ensure patients feel safe and well cared for. We’ll share your kind comments will be shared with the team involved in your care.

In light of the care you received you might wish to know that there are a few days left to vote for this year’s people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards. If you wish to nominate one of the team you can do so at www.nuh.nhs.uk. It takes just a few minutes.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

cardiac cryoablatio

Had ablation yesterday. All the staff were very professional and caring, the Consultant was excellent both assured snd reassuring. Couldnt fault anything.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your experience in our care. It’s great to know our staff helped you to feel cared for and safe and that you felt well-informed and reassured by the consultant who treated you.

Please do let us have the name of the consultant and we will ensure your message is passed on to this member of staff.

Disappointed Patient gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Treatment delay whilst staff watching eclipse!

Whilst accompanying my husband for appointment with Endoscopy 20/03/15 there were delays in treatment times. Five nursing staff/doctors stood outside the building to watch the partial eclipse for 25-45 minutes from 9am - 9.45am. Consequently appointment times were delayed. A nursing sister came to speak to all patients waiting for treatment to announce there were delays of 1 hour because of staffing shortages. Clearly the department was short of 5 members for that time stated above as they were not working. I took a photograph of the staff standing outside from inside Endoscopy foyer. This is evidential proof if needed. I did ask the receptionist if the nurse were 'on duty'. They eventually came inside and went back to work. I spoke with the 2 doctors directly outside to tell them I was disappointed they were not working and they did then come inside and went back to work.

Endoscopy Department is not in the department list for me to be able to highlight in the multi-choice box either! So I've had to tick 'Don't know'!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 25 March 2015

Thank you for getting in touch. We’re sorry for the delays you and your husband experienced when you came for your recent appointment.
Any colleagues who chose to watch the eclipse should have done so in dedicated and agreed break times. That doesn’t excuse, however, the delays you experienced.

However, after speaking to colleagues, I can confirm that the delays on the day were caused by unplanned staff nurse sickness and that all trained endoscopy staff were inside preparing rooms ready for the day.

Joanne Prest,
Sister, Endoscopy.

Old Man of Mow gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

More than satisfactory outcome of a short surgical visit

I underwent prostate surgery last week [with an overnight stay] and have just had my catheter removed in the day case unit.

The best experiences were the painless and stress-free surgery itself under spinal anaesthetic plus supplementary sedation, the efficient logistics [appointments, visits to clinics, pre-op assessment, ward transfer and readmission], and, of course, a successful outcome.

I would have welcomed more attentive post-op nursing care overnight as well as a quieter, calmer ward environment. I noticed that the more senior staff were sometimes pre-occupied with form-filling and report-writing, leaving less-experienced juniors to perform the rather delicate procedures. Some but not all staff established an appropriate personal relationship with me as a dependent and slightly anxious patient briefly passing through a busy ward with many more needy souls to attend to.

I needed to have paid more attention to the procedural information that was provided: staff might check that patients have actually received and understood the instructions and advice given, and encourage questions.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 April 2015

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. It’s great to hear that your treatment was successful, smooth and efficient. We’re disappointed, however, to read that the inconsistent behaviours of our staff impacted adversely on your overall experience in our care. It would be helpful to share your feedback with the ward manager so that this can be shared with staff and used to inform future improvements. Please do get in touch with us with the ward details by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 61784.