Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

Loxley ward

I had an awful experience on loxley ward, firstly when having an operation you should have you blood pressure etc checked regularly... This only happened once. Pain killers should be given asap but I had to wait and ask several times, the nurse was extremely lazy and hardly helped at all, they never offered me food or drink and my relatives had to go to the kitchen to ask for me.
they were ment to be discharging me but instead of explaining that the night team would be starting shortly they just vanished for an hour and never explained what was happening.. However once the night nurse came on, they were fantastic and they sorted me asap.
Unfortunately some staff I found where very lazy, and never felt like they cared. But others were absolutely lovely.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 July 2015

Thank you for taking time to feedback about your experience.

We are very concerned to hear that we fell short of the standards we would expect in relation to care standards, communication and pain relief.
To look into your concerns, we will require a little extra information from you. I would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me when it is convenient on 0115 969 1169 ext. 55161 or by email: Debbie.raffle@nuh.nhs.uk

Debbie Raffle,
Ward manager, Loxley.

Charlotte Green gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Level of Care & Professionalism

I had my baby girl last week at The City Maternity Unit & recieved an amazing level of care.
The care was consistant & very thorough for the whole duration of my stay.
My stay was longer than I anticipated due to complications which left me extremley anxious but the labour ward midwives where so caring & patient & not forgetting very reassuring.
The Midwives on Lawrence ward where equally as good & ensured we had everything we needed to feel confident & happy to take our baby home!!
Absolutley faultless care from start to finish!!!
We can't thank the team enough

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 14 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 July 2015

Many congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter Charlotte. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I have shared this with our team on Lawrence Ward.

I hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Rebecca Hayes.
Ward Manager, Lawrence.

Trevor gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Trevor

After suffering a mild cardiac arrest Tues 9th June and taken by ambulance to Kings Mill Hospital's Major Trauma Unit and subsequently admitted for emergency Angiogram the next day. This procedure showed a blocked artery and the Cardiologist decided I had to be transferred to the Nottingham City Hospital for rotational atherectomy before a stent could be fitted. I was transferred there by ambulance at 5am the following morning. The Cardiologist reassured me as I Was extremely nervous, but they put me at ease and explained exactly what they would be doing. This procedure took place Friday 12th June and was successful. The Cardiologist saw me afterwards and reassured me.
When my wife arrived to visit she was met by a Nurse who sat down with us and explained everything about aftercare and answered our questions with patience and confidence. The nurse is a lovely friendly person and radiates happiness to patients. This nurse is super efficient, works with confidence and really cares about patients. Another member of staff was on night duty and although they had a particularly difficult patient who needed one to one treatment they still found time to care for the other patients treating us all with respect.
I am so grateful to all the staff at the Acute Cardiac unit and the treatment I was given. I feel privileged to have been a patient there. Thank you so much.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 14 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 July 2015

Hi Trevor. Thanks for taking time to get in touch. It sounds like our staff did a great job keeping you and your wife informed during your stay. I’ll share your feedback with the cardiology team. I hope you are recovering well.

Caroline Sheppard.
Matron, Cardiology.

Eunice Hulme gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care on Short Stay Unit

In June I had a total knee replacement performed by my surgeon, who as always was kind friendly and caring from arriving early morning the care I received was superb in all departments I was moved to the short stay unit and couldn't have been looked after better, the nurses are all very friendly and caring knew how I liked my black coffee and where always there if needed. I did stay in longer than most due to a complication. the only down side was the food it was terrible even the sandwiches where awful. to me it was very much a case of good food ruined, I would add that this was not just my opinion. A big thank you to all the staff

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 July 2015

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that all our staff made you feel well cared for and I will share you feedback with the team. I’m sorry you weren’t happy with the food and I will pass your comments on to the relevant department.

Sharon Saunders.
Lead Nurse, elective orthopaedics.

Robert Smith gave Genito-Urinary Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Operation & Hospital Stay

I was in hospital for two days for operation in Urology dept. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful, also very efficient. My problem was dealt with speedily following full explanation of the procedure. The overnight stay on Harvey 2 was good, although inevitably one could not expect a normal nights sleep due to the requirements of other patients.

Altogether a very good experience and a credit to the NHS..

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 July 2015

Hi Robert. Thanks for getting in touch. It’s great to hear that you found staff on the ward to be friendly and helpful and you had prompt treatment. I have shared your lovely feedback with the team.

You might be interested to know that our staff awards are now open for nominations. If you wanted to nominate a particular member of staff, or a whole staff team, you can do so via our website (your nomination would fall under the Cancer and Associated Specialties directorate category): http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/

Fay Allen,
Ward manager, Harvey 2.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Incredible Team

I recently gave birth for a second time at the City hospital. I had a rather difficult time last time around and was very anxious about giving birth a second time in case there were similar complications. Whilst I did have some complications the general experience I had was marked by the extraordinary treatment I received from the staff. At all levels both on the labour suite and on the wards I stayed on the dedication expertise and hard work from the staff ensured that I was not just well cared for physically but also emotionally and mentally. The rare occasion when the staff were not quite so competent highlighted the significant difference that having such a skilled group of midwives and doctors can make.

I would like to specifically highlight the work of many of the midwives who looked after me during my stay. The quality of care was exemplary and helped me through some very difficult situations. The many experienced staff I encountered were so helpful in terms of making sure that any medical need was met promptly and also in explaining any procedures or tests I needed or my baby needed.They were also very kind and provided me with a great deal of emotional support during my stay.

I would also like to make note of the extraordinary group of doctors who work across the maternity department. During my stay I saw a number of doctors at a number of levels and I was very impressed with the hard work and dedication shown by many of them. One or two in particular were very kind and all were incredibly efficient. I would also like to highlight how great the pediatric team were and how reassuring it was to have such competent and kind people working with my baby.

However whilst I have nothing but the up most praise for the staff I encountered I have to highlight the extent to which the maternity unit felt chronically short staffed the entire time I was there. Whilst no member of staff complained about the staffing levels it became quite obvious that there were too few midwives especially at nighttime. Furthermore the practice of pulling midwives from the wards when the labour unit was short staffed often created an impossible workload for the remaining staff. I feel very strongly that the reason there were no serious complications or problems that resulted from this shortage of staff was purely because of the incredible dedication and hard work of those there and this should not be the case. I have no medical training so I cannot entirely assess the impact of a midwife looking after in one instance eight ladies ion labour suite at the same time. Similarly I cannot be sure if it is possible that some complications could be lessened if identified earlier on the wards because the midwives had time to look after all the patients effectively. But I do feel that that there should be a better system of planning staff levels and that the practice of pulling midwives off the wards should stop to ensure that patient care is not compromised.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 17 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 June 2015

Thank you so much for your glowing feedback. It’s good to hear about the extraordinary care and emotional support you received from the dedicated staff team involved in your care, particularly during such an emotional time. This is a shining example of our values and doing the best for our patients, and we thank you for sharing this with us. Your feedback will be shared with the staff team involved in your care, including our medical colleagues.

We acknowledge and understand your concerns about staffing levels. Sometimes unexpected absence can affect staffing levels. We appreciate this can cause concern for patients on the wards. However, we have various contingency plans in place to overcome this where it does occur to ensure the safety of our patients.

In light of your experience, you might be interested to know that our annual staff awards are now open for nominations. You may wish to nominate a member of staff or a whole staff team (your nomination would fall under the Family Health category). If you wish to do so, you can nominate via our website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/submit-your-nomination/

Louise Dolby,
Ward Manager,
Labour Suite, City Campus.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Great Care

Having recently had an op. at the Urology dept. and a 2 night stay on Loxley ward I would like to express my gratitude to all concerned for their care and kindness during my stay from surgeon, theatre staff, nurses and all the rest of the staff. I am due for another op. soon but know that my care will be of the highest standard, once again thank you.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 June 2015

Thanks for leaving this feedback about your experience on Loxley Ward. It’s great to hear that you felt well cared for during your recent stay with us. We have shared your kind words with colleagues on the ward.

Debbie Raffle,
Loxley ward manager.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication and timing

I was referred to QMC with suspected pneumonia. On arrival, details were taken and my wife and I were told to take a seat. After a short period we were informed that I would be sent to the pulmonary unit at the City Hospital. Some 7 hours later after several requests for information I was informed that a bed would be available but I had to wait until it was ready. About 20mins later an ambulance arrived and took me to City Hospital. They knew nothing about my being sent there and said they had no beds. Eventually I was found a bed in a side clinic where I spent the night.
The following day I was moved to a side ward and seen by consultant. They said the plan would be: antibiotics, blood tests, a chest X-ray and a CT scan with a view to discharge 2 days later. I was treated with intravenous antibiotics but neither the X-ray nor CT scan were carried out. My wife and daughter asked when they would happen and told 'he is on the system'. The day after, during visiting time, I was taken to X-ray for a chest X-ray - no CT Scan. A junior doctor later told me that the pneumonia had spread to both lungs. This was the day after the planned discharge date - no one knew what was happening - it was the weekend and Bank Holiday and was told there were no consultants on duty except one 'on call' for emergencies. I was not seen again until the following Tuesday. The consultant told me that they suspected inflammatory lung problem and a CT scan would be needed - no apology for this not happening 4 days before.
I was then discharged saying that I would be asked to attend for a CT scan and then visit the consultant a month later - no diagnosis having been made.
Whilst the nurses were very good, the organisation was appalling - no one had any knowledge of what was happening. I was promised things which did not happen and I spent a week in hospital and discharged feeling just as bad as when I was admitted.
this really is not good enough.
My GP is of the opinion that the CT scan is pivotal. This must take place ASAP. I need to know what is happening and start appropriate treatment.
this has really knocked my faith in the NHS into touch. I feel that nobody cares - that I'm a number on a chart rather than a patient who needs treatment. How can one trust an organisation which makes empty promises and doesn't even apologise. It appears to be a case of 'Oh dear what chapter of accidents - tough luck!'
Dr Alan Brewerton

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 May 2015

Dear Dr Brewerton. We are deeply concerned to read the account of your recent experience in our care. We are sorry for our poor communication that appear to have occurred on so many levels. We would like to speak to you so that we can get some further information to better understand what happened on this occasion so that we can provide answers to you and where necessary, make improvements. If you would like to contact us you can do so by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or emailing alun.harcombe@nuh.nhs.uk

Alun Harcombe.
Cardiology Consultant

Adam gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Wasn't listened too and treated badly

I was refereed by my GP to see a cardiologist because I had been experiencing palpitations, chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms and some kind of twitching in my attires mainly in my neck.

I am only 21 years old and have been having these problems for about a year now and have had numerous tests which have all come back normal such as ECG's, Holter Monitors etc however my symptoms have continued to worsen and I now fear death or at least a very horrible life.

My experience at the hospital was all good until I went in to see the cardiologist. They wouldn't let me finish sentences and simply didn't listen to what I had to say or take me seriously. I was trying to explain my symptoms and the doctor wouldn't allow me to do so, simply stating that all I should be talking about is palpitations and chest pain.

I feel its unreasonable that I wasn't allowed to explain my symptoms such as the suspected twitches in my arteries that I get which I have no idea what they are and variety of other things such as tingling throughout my body, irregular heart beats etc.

The doctor suggested I should get a Holter Monitor but I have already had one of these and it detected nothing so I feel it would be a waste of time.

Overall the doctor did not seem like a very nice person and didn't to appear to really care about their patients at all, I assume the doctor treated me like dirt because of my age. Just lacked any form of professionalism, I wanted to suggest that I have a cardiac stress test and a potential ultrasound of my Carotid Arteries.

I understand it's very rare for someone of my age to have this type of problem but it isn't impossible and the doctor was acting like it was.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 May 2015

I am grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch. I am deeply disappointed to hear that your consultation has left you feeling so unhappy and concerned to read your comments about the poor behaviours you experienced. It would be helpful to speak to you so that we can speak to the individual concerned about your experience. Please do contact me on 0115 9691169 extension 56247 to discuss further.

Dr Alun Harcombe,
Clinical Director, Cardio-Respiratory and Stroke Directorate

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Wouldn't recommend the maternity services to any new mum.

My experience tended to be one of the wards being short staffed so i was told on several occasions on one ward, the labour suite was full due to over demand, labour suite closed following this, some rude staff (one which openly complained about other wards her father had been on in front of a bay of patients), I was not involved in many decisions and I was ignored when I requested some things such as delayed cord cutting, I had lots of delays in treatment despite being scared after being told i needed to be induced as soon as possible due to possible risks, originally given no support in being shown breast feeding, never shown baby bathing etc which antenatal/postnatal book suggested i should have been, i was discharged ill and had to be readmitted later that day which i was thankful for so i could be shown how to do some things with my newborn, which giving credit where credit is due they did this well on readmission. My daughter is thankfully okay but my experience of this hospital is not a good one and if it wasnt for the safety of my unborn child, i would have discharged myself on several occasions. I must mention there were some good staff who went above and beyond their duty, but these were few and far between.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 05 May 2015

We are both sorry and disappointed to hear that your experience in our care wasn’t a good one. The behaviours you have described and lack of support you were offered are not what we expect of our staff. We are pleased to hear your daughter is now doing well. However, we would like to look into your concerns further so that we can investigate what went wrong on this occasion. If you do wish to discuss it further, please do contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 62859 or 0115 9691169 ext. 58030. Alternatively, you can email me at julia.gudgeon@nuh.nhs.uk and I will contact you if you leave your phone number.

Julia Gudgeon