Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

AllyF reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

I have received 1st class service from day 1

3 months ago I was diagnosed with NHL resulting in a brain tumor, following surgery where Queens excised much of the tumor from my brain, followed up by 3 sessions of chemotherapy ( 4th and last starting tomorrow)
I only have the most complements for the treatment and service I have received from the NHS in Nottingham. The staff have been excellent - my bed time in Queens and City has been second to none! The service and support has been second to none, even the food has been great!
Staff are caring and supportive, ward accommodation is excellent from cleaners, caterers to assistants, nurses, doctors and registrars. I cancelled my private medical cover 12 months ago when I retired, then when my illness started I first thought that was it! I would struggle for treatment - I could not have been more wrong! Nothing I could say would be of detriment to the staff or the organisation - I have received 1st class service from day 1. Fingers crossed that the treatment will be successful.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 May 2017

I’m pleased to hear we have looked after you well and you feel that our staff have been caring and supportive. I will ensure your comments are shared with every team who may have been involved in your care, including those you have mentioned. Thank you very much for taking time to write to us.

Sending my best wishes,

Julian Skoyles.

Divisional Director, Cancer and Associated Specialties.

Christy gave Plastic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely disgusting!

After being told in January I had been put forward for an urgent operation and would be seen in 4-6 weeks, I was finally sat waiting for my operation on the 15th May! Complying with all rules i.e no food after 12 the night before and nothing to drink after 6am I arrived at the elective admissions lounge at 7am. As the morning went on I had my obs taken and the consultant came around to explain what would happen. The consultant mentioned I would be seen in the afternoon. At 9am I asked if I could have a drink and was told yes but I would have to drink it now and that would be the last one. I asked again at 12pm and was told the same thing. Then at 2.30pm the nurse brought me a cup of water and said you will need to drink this now and then no more after that. At 4pm - still not had any food - the nurses in the elective admissions lounge came over to say they were closing and I needed to be moved to a ward. I was taken over to the Gillies ward where there was no bed available so I had to sit in the day room. At this point I was fed up and feeling poorly after not eating for nearly 24 hours. I got up and went to ask the ward nurses what was going on. I was ignored at the reception desk until a nurse came out of one of the bays and asked if I was ok. I asked the nurse if they could find out what time I would be going down, the nurse said they would. Half an hour later still nothing so my partner went up to find out what was happening - the nurse came back at 4.55pm and told us that the consultant would be finishing at 5.30pm so they wouldn't have time to do it!! It is absolutely disgusting that they treat human beings in this way, sat for 10 hours with no idea what is happening an minimal fluid intake for no reason! They didnt rebook anything in so now I am no further a long than I was in January!

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 May 2017

I’m sorry to hear of your experience and for the distress caused by such poor communication and your surgery not going ahead after such a long wait (and being ‘nil by mouth’ over a prolonged period). I would like to look into this further so we can find out what went wrong and respond more fully to your concerns. Please can you make contact with our Patient Experience team on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk so we can discuss further.

With kind regards,

Julian Skoyles.

Divisional Director, Cancer and Associated Specialties.

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Diep operation 3rd may 2017

Gillys ward 3rd May 2017 .for diep operation. I had operation of Thursday 4th May came round to a lovely family and a nurse that I was made to feel like asking for a jug of water was like asking for the earth..not impressed ...most of the nurses are lovely but there always has to be one ! The nurse clearly doesn't like their job ...my canula came out half way through the night and the nurse just told me I would have to wait for a doctor to get me more pain relief....after hours of waiting and in agony I asked to get out my bed ..the nurse told me no as i had too much attatched to me .in drains .cafeter ...I felt like I need to move but this nurse just kept telling me no .....a doctor then came and had a word with the nurse as i was most vunerable.....after the doctor had gone ...the nurse then came into my room shouted at me and said what is your problem with me !!!!!! I burst into tears and couldnot speak as this was so unprofessional....don't usually rant but the nurse made my stay horrible .such a shame as the rest of the staff are lovely ..xx now I'm recovering well at home this experience still upsets me ..maybe they were just having a bad day ...but boy did they take it out on me .......just be aware of them and stand up for yourself ...not easy when you are in so much pain !!!!!!

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 17 May 2017

I am saddened to read your feedback, though grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch so we can address your concerns. I am sorry to hear that you were spoken to in this way.

Would you mind contacting me, please, so we can discuss further? You can telephone me on 0115 969 1169 ext 56426 (Mon-Fri).

Jo Gough
Ward Manager, Gillies Ward

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care!

My mum received fantastic care this week on the Cystic Fibrosis ward at City Hospital's CF Centre. She had her own side room in a very modern ward environment, staffed by amazing, caring people. She was well looked after and very happy with the treatment she received both medically and personally. She's obviously glad to be going home now but as well as thanking the staff on the ward herself, she wanted to let others know about the outstanding, excellent care she received from NUH. Having the staff involving her in her own care and speaking to her in a dignified manner has made her feel more optimistic for any future treatment she may need without the worry.

Fantastic job NUH, thanks for looking after my mum so well.

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 17 May 2017

Thank you so much for submitting this feedback on behalf of your mum. We do indeed have caring and dedicated staff working across our hospitals. I am pleased your mum is now back at home. Please do pass on our best wishes to your mum. We hope she is feeling better soon. Thank you once again for taking the time to get in touch with us.

Ina Sobaleva.

Cystic Fibrosis Unit Manager.

Linda gave Oncology - Clinical at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care

My mum has lung cancer and we were referred to a Dr. I cannot praise the Dr. and the whole oncology and chemotherapy team enough. My mum has received truly compassionate care. Her diagnosis and any updates have been delivered with sensitivity, concern and care. The staff have all gone the extra mile to get her the treatment she has needed quickly. Her prognosis is not good but her prompt treatment has given her back sime quality of life. Thank you to the Dr. and the whole team, oncology day case and SRU.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch, especially at this difficult time. I have passed your comments onto the oncology team, who send their thoughts and best wishes.

Warm regards,

Julian Skoyles, Divisional Director

Lucy gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Care on Colposcopy (Womens Unit)

I was very anxious before my Colposcopy appointment today on the 18-05-17, anything medical just makes me want to crawl up into a ball!

But, after today my confidence has grown and that hospitals are not at all bad as some people make out - I just wanted to mention that the care I had recieved today was absolutely incredible, the consultant and their team were very friendly, sympathetic and clearly discussed what was happening at my appointment and were very caring, before I left they made sure I was confident enough to leave the treatment room.

The consultant and their team are a real credit, I left my appointment/treatment feeling very calm and surprisingly very happy considering anything medical I'm almost on the verge of a breakdown! Thank you so much Doctor and team on Colposcopy, womens unit.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 18 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m pleased to hear you felt safe in our hands and that you felt well informed and looked after. I have shared your comments with the team, who asked that I pass on their appreciation.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Evans, Divisional Director

Mary gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing

My brother had a hip replacement this month. The care, professionalism, attitude, accommodating of a person with learning needs , friendliness and common sense of all staff from the theatre admissions lounge, the anaesthetic room, Harvey 1, the physiotherapists, occupational therapist and most especially the surgeon and their surgical team were absolutely outstanding.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 May 2017

Thank you for such kind comments about our colleagues. We really to have a great team at NUH and I’m pleased to hear your brother felt so well cared for. I’ve shared this feedback with the various teams you mention and we all wish your brother well after his hip replacement.

Best wishes,

Clare Eaglesfield.
Elective Orthopaedics Service Manager.

lesley page gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Consultant- Adult Mental health

Mental Health is not on your drop down so that's why I had to choose department as don't know!
One doctor was my mums consultant 10 years ago when mum had dementia. Throughout her illness I felt really comfortable dealing with her consultant and appreciated the support they helped me to get for my mum. This past year the same consultant has been looking after my dad after a sever bout of depression. The consultant is a lovely caring approachable doctor and I would like to pass on my thanks.
the only down side to my dads care is the speed you actually get to see a consultant - far too slow!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 23 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 May 2017

Hi Lesley. Thank you for getting in touch. While this is lovely feedback, adult mental health services are provided by Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. They run some of their services from the City Hospital site. I will share this feedback with them for you. However, should you wish to contact them directly you can do so on PALS@nottshc.nhs.uk.

With kind regards,

Sarah Kennedy.
Patient Experience Officer.

Anonymous gave Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) service at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Colonoscopy procedure

I went in for the above procedure on Friday 19th May. Having got through the "prep" the previous day, which I thought was tolerable, I felt quite relaxed on the Saturday morning (knowing that according to the information/booklet I had received) I was going to be "sedated" for the procedure. However, on arrival, and going through my details with the Nurse I saw, I was told I would be having Gas and Air. When I queried this, I was told that "patients recover better if they are not sedated? (even though my husband was coming to collect me and I would be looked after at home). I signed the relevant form thinking "others" had been through the same experience. I went into the operating theatre (the Nurse was lovely)I have to say. The procedure began but not long into it I experienced cramping pains which got really severe. Despite taking the Gas and Air I found it insufficient for me to tolerate. This procedure should not be given without sedation. (I had 3 polyps removed). The after care was fine but not an experience I would want repeating.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 25 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Clint cooper gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Cancellation by management to meet targets!! No real reason!

So when the NHS cancelled operations at the last minute, after you have pepped you young children, psyched yourself up for major operations, got child care, have family down, your friends are psyched up and give you encouragement. You spend time making sure the dog is looked after. The child care goes home, the children are confused. On top of that work has to be great and say okay we will fit you in. They don't have to!!! Do the managers really know the impact on families? Would they dare do it in private health care? No manager, no politician knows this. Thank you NHS England!! Thank you for your care and meeting blairs targets! Thank you for your care in targets!! At least one would be honest and do not fob us off. My girl has waited over the time on waiting lists. As a charge nurse in the NHS and my girl a sister and between us over 45 years in the system. Do not cancel again. Have some compassion when we prep our 6 and 5 year old and make arrangements of care from over two hundred miles away and make financial arrangements. You need to make proper arrangements and know we are not stupid but work with management in our trust closely. Loosing time and thinking ahead is key. Cancelling because you have cancelled before is unacceptable, it has a knock on affect especially with our children and the nations health. Stop it!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 May 2017

I sincerely apologise that your daughter’s operation was cancelled last minute and for the distress and inconvenience this has clearly caused you and your family. I would like to look into your case to understand why the surgery didn’t proceed as planned. If you would wish me to, please contact me directly and I will look into after getting the appropriate information from you. My contact details are: 0115 924 9924 ext. 67744 or email gina.policelli@nuh.nhs.uk. I am not in the Trust now for the next few days but I will pick this up again on my return as a priority.

Gina Policelli