Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Stroke recovery

My Mum was admitted into the Stroke unit of the City hospital on a Friday afternoon, the usual scans and tests were done and the following day she was put onto Lister 1 ward. she seems to physically OK but has Aphasia and seems to have lost almost all of her vocabulary. Various members of our family have asked the Nurses about speaking with a consultant or Doctor so that understand the nature of the problem, what if anything the scans have highlighted and if any further treatment is required,what medicine is being taken to prevent another stroke and a schedule for her rehab and what that will involve. But this is mission impossible, the stock answer is that the Dr is somewhere else and nobody knows where or when he/she will turn up but try again tomorrow. Meanwhile my mother is stuck in a ward with 22 other ladies who are in a far worse condition than she is with some wailing non-stop, unable to use the toilet and practically non that she can try and communicate with to improve her condition. I can see that this mentally getting her down and she almost refuses to go in there during the day and continually asks to come home rather than spend another night there. We will be trying to speak to some one more senior because this is truly upsetting for family members to watch and accept.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 07 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 September 2016

Thank you for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear of the distress the lack of information about your mum’s care and next steps is causing you and your family. I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you directly if you would like to do so. If so, you can call me on 0115 9249924 ext. 55380 or email me on annie.barringham@nuh.nhs.uk

Annie Barringham.
Sister, Lister 1.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Care & Compassion

Mum was referred to Beeston Ward within 48 hours of her TIA. The extended to her was exemplary - nurses were genuinely interested in helping her feel comfortable and reassuring her - investigations with the help of ultrasound and MRI's were informative with staff willing to share their thoughts - and a follow up appointment has already come through for 4 weeks time to ensure she is monitored early on.Thank you. It made an already stressful time, so much easier for her (and us!).

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 12 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 September 2016

Thanks for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear we were able to make things a little easier for you and your mum during this difficult time. I’ve shared your kind words with the Beeston Ward team.

Best wishes to you both,

Tony Till.
Ward Manager, Beeston

Robert Davies gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Treatment

I attended the Cardiac Short Stay Unit to have an ICD fitted, the Unit was very well organised on my arrival .I was quickly shown to my bed and informed where I was on the list, the procedure took place on time and in no time, I was back in my bed and quickly offered tea and a sandwich, which was most welcome. I was informed that I would be staying overnight to allow the ICD to settle in and be checked the following morning. during my time on the unit, I was treated with complete dignity. Well done to everyone I, met during the time I was on the Unit

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 14 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 September 2016

Thank you for your feedback about your time with us. I’ve shared this with the team on the Cardiac Short Unit. We are pleased to hear you felt you were treated with dignity during your stay.
Best wishes to you,

Caroline Sheppard
Matron, Cardiology

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

What a wonderful hospital!

My Mrs was due to have our first baby on the 1st of October, due to medical issues we were admitted to City hospital last Tuesday, we were taken to Lawrence ward in the maternity unit and I can honestly say that in all my years of visiting hospitals for various medical conditions of my own, I have never been treated better than when we're there, every member of staff were 10/10, 24 hours of every day. All the staff working in Lawrence ward deserve a standing ovation and a medal for their continuous and caring support. I'd like to personally thank a particular member of staff for staying with me while my partner went into an emergency C section and being such a supportive, reliable and stable member of our care team, if you are reading this, thank you so very much my darling, you are a superstar and I cannot begin to thank you enough for everything you've done for us :). But all the staff there were amazing, and the labour ward for such a smooth delivery for my bundle of joy, and a thank you to the neonatal team for looking after my princess, even if it was only for 2 days, so, from one thankful father to a team of amazing people working tirelessly day in and day out, thank you, so very much, for everything you do.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 September 2016

Very many congratulations on the birth of your first child. What praise for our wonderful staff on Lawrence Ward. I have shared your post with the team, who are incredibly grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch. If you’d like me to pass on your personal thanks to a particular member of the team (if you know who they are) you are welcome to contact me at yvonne.reddish@nuh.nhs.uk

Best wishes to you and your family

Yvonne Reddish,
Matron, Maternity (City Hospital)

Bill gave Lung cancer services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Unit

I came to the City Hospital Nottingham because the procedure I required was not available in the Lincolnshire NHS Hospitals . The procedure was carried out at City's Endoscopy unit and I would like to thank everyone for their kindness and help during my stay

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 27 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 September 2016

Thank you for your kind words. I’ve shared your thanks with staff at our Endoscopy Unit.
I hope you’re recovering well following your procedure.

Best wishes,

Jean Barker.
Endoscopy Matron.

PatientsDaughter gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Mixed results

My mum has been on Fleming Ward for far too long although she is medically fit. Staff not being invited to and not turning up for meetings has contributed to this. However, once the right staff have discussed the issues around capacity we should finally be getting her the care she actually needs after discharge. Some staff are efficient and helpful whilst others display a lack of care and attention, for example messing with their phones whilst asking patients if they have any pain, clearly not interested in the answer at all. Unacceptable level of professionalism. Lack of interest in and compassion for elderly patients with dementia - yes they are difficult and demanding - but you are in a caring profession. PALS no help at all as usual.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 27 September 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you’re unhappy with certain aspects of your mum’s care. The devices you have seen nursing staff use could be mobile devices our staff use to record patients’ observations as we now do this electronically instead of on paper. They do look like phones and I apologise if this wasn’t made clear when you were on the ward.

I would like to discuss your concerns about staff attitudes and care in more detail. I can also share any feedback you have regarding our PALS service with the PALS and complaints management on your behalf.

If you wish to, you can email me on helen.gregory@nuh.nhs.uk or call me on 0115 9691169 ext. 75031.

Helen Gregory.
Respiratory Matron.

Ashleigh333 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

You were brilliant

I had my gallbladder removal surgery yesterday at the City Hospital. I must have been one of the most nervous patients to ever have walked through the doors at the Day Surgery Unit (tears and all). I just want to say thank you to the staff who helped me out yesterday. I also work for the NHS and it is so nice to see (like myself) people who not only do their job and do it well, but go out of their way to go above and beyond their call of duty. Special thank you to the anesthetist who put me under GA and talked me through everything, calmed me down, and had a reasonable solution to any problems and concerns I had. She was absolutely brilliant! Also to the nurse who looked after me both before and after the surgery. She even had me laughing which I never thought I would. Would definately recommend City Hospital Day Surgery Unit to anyone who would need to ever go. Thank you again to everyone yesterday. You were brilliant.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 29 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Victoria gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing maternity

Amazing service from the theatre team at nuh City maternity. From being admitted to discharge i cancannot praise the staff enough. The theatre team performing my c section were friendly, polite and had a sense of humour. Everyone in that thestre room informed us of procedures, reassured myself and my husband and made a very scary procedure much more managable. The midwifes on the ward were busy but attentive giving honest but practical advice and support. They listened to my wishes and one particular midwife litwent above and beyond to assist me in getting home earlier than standard. A credit to NUH.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 19 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 September 2016

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Thank you also for taking the time to post such lovely feedback. I’ve shared this with the various teams involved in your care.

Best wishes to you and the family.

Yvonne Reddish.
Maternity Matron, City.

waltonj reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

gp sent me for routine blood test to qmc, ended up being rushed to city hospital

After blood test first thing in the morning at QMC my GP left two messages on my answerphone urgently telling me to contact them, they asked if I felt ok as potassium levels in my blood are at dangerous levels and I should make my way to the HEMS DEPT QMC. I was told a private ambulance was on its way to take me to city hospital. I was taken to Morton ward and nobody mentioned kidney problems I found out I was in a ward for respiratory ward no mention of kidneys plenty of questions about my COPD. This is when I was sent for an echocardiograph and came into contact with the member of staff who really hurt me as they pressed the echo scanner into my chest with massive force and dragged it over my ribs this caused me agony, I nearly fell off the table I then found a handle to hold on to, it felt like this person enjoyed inflicting pain and they never spoke and the more I moved in an attempt to get away from the pain the harder they pressed. I didn't give consent to any treatment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 14 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Your message causes me great concern. I am sorry about the distress and discomfort you experienced during your treatment. Given the severity of your concerns I would like to speak to you at the earliest opportunity so that we can look into your concerns with urgency.
Bev Brady
Matron, Respiratory Medicine

Happy with NUH reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Mother spent three nights following breathing difficulties on Morton Ward. The..

Mother spent three nights following breathing difficulties on Morton Ward. The staff were excellent, especially the student nurse assigned to her care, who showed patience and respect. (She's not the easiest of patients)!
Thank you.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 10 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 August 2016

It’s kind of you to get in touch with us. Thank you. I’ve shared your feedback with the ward staff (and James).

Best wishes to you and your mother,
Rebecca Willis.