Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Rukmini/Minnie gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

TIA admission

I was admitted to Bergman 1 and never expected to be treated so well. As soon as I arrived as a patient, sent by my GP after a visit to him, all hands were on board. All the nurses surrounded me and got to work examining and explaining why and how things were being done and all procedures that will or may be done to care for me. I thought they were very informative and exhibited the real human side of the NHS. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to them all and also my consultant for relieving me of my fear of the NHS. Berman1 and all the nurses, doctors and other stafff within the stoke unit, X-ray dept and CT dept I applaud you for your hard work and caring side to humanity. Please accept my humble thanks and gratefulness . Long may you last to go on serving our nation and the patients of Nottingham City Hospital. Rukmini Khan (admissions 02.02.2017)

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 February 2017

Hi Rukmini, thank you for this feedback, I’m very glad to hear that your consultant and all staff on the ward were able to help you overcome your fears and that you felt well cared-for and supported. I’ve shared your kind words with the Berman 1 ward team. We all send our best wishes and thanks.
Helen Gregory
Matron, Stroke services

mick5039 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

The service has been very very good

My wife is very ill, extremely weak and in receipt of a fairly intensive care package, As a result we have come in frequent contact with the social services, community nurses, occupational therapists, physio's etc etc.
I can honestly say that the service we have received from all parties has been very very good. As a carer I have had help and advice whenever I have requested it, with sympathy and understanding, and most importantly, with positive results. In particular I mention Emma (social services) Amy and Helen (occupational therapists) and Linda (nursing Service) who have all been outstanding in their dealings with me.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Andrew Steggles, Acting Patient Information Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment and your positive feedback on services. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.

mick5039 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

The service has been very very good

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

JenJen reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Brilliant anaesthetist

A massive massive thank you to Dr Vernon (Consultant anaesthetist), day surgery unit, city hospital. I felt very reassured and listened to. She was the first one to tell me that the surgeon was delayed so offered me numbing cream to reduce my fear of the cannula which removed some of the stress from the day. I cannot thank her enough for treating me with care, compassion and understanding. A true credit to the NHS! !

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Andrew Steggles, Acting Patient Information Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for your comment, it's great to receive feedback on our service. Your thanks has been passed on to Dr Vernon.
Best Wishes,

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Lack of urgency in care of elderly

My mother who is 95 years old was admitted to the city hospital on Friday evening with fluid on 3/4 of her left lung. We were told she would need Frusemide by IV and a CT scan to determine the cause of the fluid. She had one dose of Frusemide on the first evening and a sample of fluid taken for biopsy. Day 4 and we are still waiting! Mum getting very anxious and confused and want's to come home to die! Hospitals are constantly saying they are short of beds but there doesn't seem to be any urgency to get patients treated and sent home. This causes distress to both patient and family, and does nothing for the NHS which was at one time such a wonderful institution. Someone needs to sort it out.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 22 February 2017

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch to share your concerns. I’m so sorry to hear that there are delays getting your mum home and the worry and anxiety this is causing. I am looking into this quickly for you. Please can you contact me on ext 75031 so that we can talk as soon as possible.

Helen Gregory
Matron
Respiratory Medicine

Albert Hempstead gave Cardiac services (community) at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Rehabilitation MOT

I have just finished my 8 week Cardiac Rehabilitation course at Dundee House and would like to thank all the staff for their splendid efforts to get me back on the road to full fitness and with an appreciation of what is needed to stay healthy.

A heart attack is a daunting experience but with professional advice about the background and the lifestyle needed to avoid a recurrence the patient's confidence can be restored.

Well done to the team and I now have hopes of receiving the Queen's birthday telegram!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 February 2017

Thank you. I’m so pleased to hear about how you’ve benefited from the course. I’ve shared your kind words with the team at Dundee House and we all send our appreciation and best wishes to you and your family.
Caroline Sheppard
Matron, Cardiology

Island pick reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

My mother's care during her lung cancer treatment

Just like to say all district nurses were excellent apart from one district nurse who was reluctant to come out and give mother an injection.
Mum found them to be very caring and understanding, she felt they always had time to talk and listen which made it easier to accept people coming in and out of the house.
The hospice staff at John Eastwood were extremely kind and became a lifeline for mum.
Doctors receptionist team need to be more understanding and caring towards carers who are looking after terminally ill people. ( A smile would go a long way ).

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 23 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry if you feel any of our staff showed a lack of understanding or caring towards you, we would not wish this to be the experience of any carer or patient. Do please contact us if you would like to talk about any incidents or specific concerns you have. You can email QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.
Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer

ash576 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

ACL Reconstruction Surgery

I have recently been discharged from the City Hospital and have received ACL Reconstruction and Meniscus tear treatment. I just wanted to take this time to thank absolutely every body involved and tell you a little about my whole experience with NUH hospitals.
Approximately one year ago I suffered a terrible footballing accident which caused me to completely tear my ACL and damage my Meniscus. After receiving an MRI scan this confirmed the injury and that I would need to have surgery on the knee to gain stability and possibly return to sporting activities. I was admitted for surgery last week, a very daunting experience especially as I have never had any form of surgery in my life. The day started with me seeing a fantastic Staff Nurse in the Theatre Admissions Lounge at the City Hospital who calmed me down and helped me to understand the procedure further. I was then greeted by the amazing consultant and Anaesthetist who explained the surgery from start to finish and answered any questions that was asked, they helped me feel a lot happier and calmer about the surgery. I then had the surgery and woke up on the Harvery 1 Ward, dazed and unaware of anything because of the Anaesthetic and drugs that I had been given to ease the pain. Throughout my stay at Harvery 1 Ward everybody was amazing I truly mean that! The nurses were fantastic, the cleaning staff were awesome, the health care assistants were so good and professional always there to help me when I needed it and nothing was ever too much trouble - and for talking to me for most of the night. The ward waiter serving the food was amazing and the food was tasty and appetising. Throughout my whole experience I was well informed and there was always somebody to help me if I had further questions or concerns. I have to say a special thank you to Paula Morgan who always answered the questions I was asking her while she was still extremely busy dealing with other patients.
I am extremely proud of the brilliant NHS and throughout my whole experience this has emphasised this to me even more so. Our NHS is fantastic, absolutely everybody that I came into contact with were ever so helpful and always extremely caring. Again I would like to send the deepest thank you to everybody that cared for me while I was in the hospitals care and I would also like to thank everybody within the NHS because you truly help people everyday. Thanks NUH you are all legends!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 06 February 2017

Thank you so much for this. It’s great to hear all of the positive experiences you have had during your treatment. It’s good of you to take the time to get in touch. I’ve shared your kind words with the Harvey 1 team and wider members of the team that you mention.
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery.
Best wishes
Louise Challens
Matron, Elective Orthopaedics

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Status roles and respect

I was a patient on JENNER WARD(SRU) and all staff were lovely and my stay was very dignified and welcoming. Although I did not feel comfortable myself as the WARD SISTER (AMELIA WARD) although very lovely to me their attitude to the staff was SHOCKING. They way they made staff feel as small as a pin head and patronised them JUST because of their "status" is absolutely appalling and I would feel VERY ASHAMED to have them working in such environment of "care". The attitude towards the (very hard working I must say) cleaner was embarrassing for me to even sit there watching, clearly has no respect for the, and even had a little dig at how they never seen them clean beds. When the same morning the poor person was doing so. I think it's very unprofessional to treat people with such lack of respect even more so infront of patients. And with discussing with patient in the sane bay I was in they also was made to feel awkward and on edge when they entered the bay. Maybe something should be taken further with matters as I and other patients can clearly see a form of bullying. Other than that my care from the nurses was amazing

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 February 2017

I am very sorry to hear this about a member of our staff. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, please be assured we will investigate your concerns. I am glad to hear that the care you personally received was so good, but I apologise that you were made to feel uncomfortable at any point because of the way the ward staff interacted with one another in your presence.

Robin Binks
Haematology Matron

Anonymous reviewed Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) service at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Staff forgot me!

Because of bed shortages I was taken post op to Harvey 1 instead of Winifred 2. As a result the staff there were unsure what I was allowed to eat before a doctor came. I was omitted from the morning round, About 12 I complained, some calls were made but nothing happened.About 1 pm I got tearful as all I had in food from 7 pm Tuesday till then (1pm Thursday) was a cup of tea when I was told that my op was delayed. Someone came and said I could have a 'sloppy diet' but did not explain what this was. All I got on Thursday was tomato soup and 2 ice creams. It was not the fault of the ward staff that this happened but a failure of the medical staff to follow up on their previous day's patients. This is totally unacceptable.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 17 January 2017

Thanks for your message. I am sorry to hear your experience was not as we would wish it to be. Patients should not have to go so long without food/drink. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further on 0115 969 1169 ext. 56433 and I can look into your case.

Louise Challans,