Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

fantastic for two births

I had two premature babies born at city hospital. Both births were made as good as they could be given the situations of being 8 and then 10 weeks early. Staff were supportive and showed great empathy, and going onto the neonatal wards- they were fautless.
Yes waiting times arent great for antenatal clinics but once i was in labour and onwards i truly felt i was given unwaivered support during very emotional and difficult times,so thank you so much.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 14 April 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Nottmuk gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

I would like to say a great big Thank You to the Endoscopy Department at City Hospital. The treatment and care I got from the doctor and all the staff were first class. Please Note the department is Endoscopy and not Urology Thank You

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 12 April 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham City Hospital

Having moved to Nottm nearly eight years ago and having been an in patient and an out patient for nearly seven years I cannot fault Nottingham City Hospital.
I was on Flemming Ward for sixteen days in 2007..Staff and Consultant First Class.
Meals excellent.. in fact everything put before me was well presented and very enjoyable.
A Big Thank you NHS

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 01 April 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 04 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and thanks, we are very glad to hear that you have experienced consistently good care at Nottingham City hospital over the years. It is lovely in particular to hear your enjoyment of the food during your time on Fleming Ward - did you know that Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust is the first hospital to receive the Soil Association's Gold Food for Life Catering Mark for serving fresh, healthy meals made with locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients?

Donna cairns gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Very poor treatment after my op

Came in o 17th march,stayed in bay 5 loxley ward,I was very sick after the op,so I didn't eat my tea,at about 8pm I asked for some tosast, a nurse grey said ,toast would take too long ,so I asked what there was,she replyed ham or cheese,I have an allergy to dairy,so it had to be ham,I waited 2 and a half hours ,then asked again.finally got one.the next morn I had to face a most miserable nurse,she told me off because the table was on the opposite side of the bed,which was there when I came.she didn't smile or make you feel happy,it was very unpleasant her being there.the lady next to me was on a drip,it was making a beeping sound for some time,so she called the nurse,that same nurse came and said,it will bleep its empty,then walked away ,leavening it still bleeping.i then got out of my bed to help her,she asked for pillows,didn't get them,I went down and got her 2 . Myself .the treatment was apporlling.the nurses in light blue and dark green where lovley,doctors where great,one nurse I recommend was lovley..being on loxley ward wasn't pleasent,I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 22 March 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor care in City Hospital

My mother died in the City Hospital. On the night in question the staff ordered in a Chinese meal and sat together laughing and joking just a few yards from mum's bed. We could hear every word they were saying. A patient was out of bed and chatting at the desk at well past midnight. I told the staff that I was unhappy with the noise and disrespect. A nurse walking by said "Oh yes, it's like, you know...." I was stunned that she couldn't even manage a proper response. We were then offered a room further down the ward but with mum minutes from dying it didn't seem a good idea to move her. Staff did come and apologise but I wasn't willing to accept this. It should not have happened. I felt most of the staff on that night behaved in a most unprofessional manner and felt unhappy about leaving mum once she had died. I have written this in a letter but have not posted it. I have more details if needed including ward number.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 19 March 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2014

Please accept our deepest sympathies for the death of your mother. We are gravely concerned to read your account of the behaviour of the ward staff on the night of her passing, and we apologise for any additional distress this caused during what we understand must already be a very difficult time for yourself and your family. Please be assured, such behaviour is not in keeping with the standards and values we expect all Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust staff to abide by. We are grateful to you for telling us about your experience, and would welcome the opportunity to fully investigate what happened.

If you would like to share with us the ward number and date this happened, as well as any other details, by email, please email nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk.

If you would prefer to talk to someone in person, please telephone our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 183 0204.

If you have a letter you wish to send, you can do so for free by addressing it to NUH NHS Trust, c/o PALS, Freepost NEA 14614, Nottingham NG7 1BR.

Your concerns will then be investigated with the appropriate department and ward.

Michael Ash gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Someone needs to get a grip on this department

A 10.45 appointment, but running nearly two hours late, compounded by anyone with a barely credible excuse such as "got a bus to catch" or friends of employees' jumping the queue.
When my turn finally came,it was catch up time, and i was in and out in less than 5 minutes.
Imminent test results were to decide the level of medication required. The call with those never came, and after nearly a month i started phoning the secretary.
The system then, apparently, is to e mail the consultant, rather than speak to them, or, heaven forbid, mention it when they are face to face, which is fine if they respond, but in this case, when they dont, not much use at all. After a five week delay, i finally get the test results.
I have moved to another hospital

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 14 March 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 25 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you highlighting areas where we could do better, as this helps us to improve the service we provide.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the waiting time for your appointment. At the time you visited the clinic (December 2013) there was, unfortunately, an issue with clinics becoming overbooked which is likely to have been what contributed to your waiting time and the relatively short time you spent with the consultant. Happily, this problem has now been resolved.

With regards to your test results, we apologise for the delay in you receiving them. According to our records, after you attended the clinic on 17 December letter was sent to you on around 21 December explaining that further blood work was needed and that you would be seen in clinic again to receive your results (we would not have called you to give results over the phone). Unfortunately, there was then a delay in obtaining the results from haematology; however these results were sent to your GP on 5 February. Please accept our apologies for your further wait.

I do not understand your reference to email as this is not the only means of communication at our disposal, and communication between the consultant and consultant's secretary was not a factor in the delay; it was simply that further blood work was necessary before your results could be generated, and the results of this further investigation took some time to be received.

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused, and we appreciate your feedback, which has been shared with colleagues in the department.

Rachel Spencer
Administration Manager for Respiratory, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology.
&
Bev Brady
Matron, Respiratory, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology.

Anonymous reviewed Cardiothoracic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Barclay ward, nottingham city hospital

I was in Barclay ward following VATS surgery in January. I cannot thank the surgeon and the ward team enough for the care that I got, from the brilliant nurse when I was in HDU to the cleaners and ward hostesses. Everyone worked well together and the ward ran very well. My only criticism was the noise level at night even with ear plugs, but I do understand that the patient group on the ward was not usual at that time. The surgeon is a brilliant surgeon and would recommend him to anyone needing thoracic surgery. I have made a brilliant recovery and much of that is down to the ward team. I work in the NHS and know that we don't get positive feedback very much and felt that I needed to give the surgeon and ward my thanks.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 12 March 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 26 March 2014

Thank you so much for all your kind words. We are glad that you had a positive experience at our hospital. Thank you too for raising the issue of noise at night; your understanding of the particular situation at that time is appreciated, but we are also aware that this is an ongoing issue on some wards and we are looking at all possible methods to help keep noise to a minimum. We will pass your wonderful comments and feedback on to our colleagues on Barclay ward, we are sure they will appreciate them.

Vicky gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Loxley ward and gynae

Within 2 month's i had a big Op and from beginning to end, when i was really frightened, my care was excellent, tho I am still under gynae care for a little while yet , the doctor and all his team were excellent? The anaesthetist and the specialist nurse always on the end of the phone.
A big thank you to the person who looked after me on the day in the ward, we laughed so much and talked to me about the op and put me at ease.
There was one nurse who spoilt my experience as she was nasty because i couldn't get my arm in the right position for my obs
But all in all my frightening time was made easier by all the caring people

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 10 March 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. We are glad your experience of our hospital was overall a positive one and we will pass your messages of thanks on to all our colleagues involved with your care. We are sorry, however, to hear that you did not feel well treated by one particular member of staff. Nurses being "nasty" is not in keeping with the values and behaviours which we as a Trust expect as standard for all our colleagues, and if you would like us to look into this matter further we would be more than happy to do so - please email our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at PALS@nuh.nhs.uk if you would like to talk more about what happened.

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Biopsies

Recently had a prostate biopsy followed by an MRI scan followed by a perineal template biopsy.

The staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful. Time was taken to explain processes. Waiting time in hospital was fine and the cups of tea were most welcome

The explanatory leaflet explaining the final biopsy was out of date and inaccurate.
The results of the first biopsy were given to me by the consultant fairly quickly and he was reassuring. I had to pester for the MRI scan results and left in some doubt about why and when I needed a further biopsy. Am awaiting the final biopsy results.

The overall experience was good/very good but feed back about results could have been better.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 27 February 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are very glad to hear that your overall experience of our hospital was a positive one and that you were made comfortable while waiting. It is always good to hear from patients ways in which we can improve their experience, as well as ways in which we have done well, and we will pass your comments about the feedback of your results on to our colleagues in urology. Thank you also for identifying the problem with the explanatory leaflet. All our patient information leaflets are updated every two years; however, you are quite correct that leaflet you were given had not been revised, and we apologise for any confusion this may have caused. We will now make sure that it is up-to-date and that the latest version is available for staff to use.

Alex gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Burns unit

For the past few weeks I have been attending burns outpatients clinic after sustaining chemical burns. Every member of staff was absolutely excellent and the care that I received at Nottingham City Hospital was fantastic. I was informed of progress at every step and the nurses on the ward made me feel very well looked after. I'd like to really thank all the staff on the burns unit for their hard work and dedication to making people feel better.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 21 February 2014