Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Happy with NUH reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Mother spent three nights following breathing difficulties on Morton Ward. The..

Mother spent three nights following breathing difficulties on Morton Ward. The staff were excellent, especially the student nurse assigned to her care, who showed patience and respect. (She's not the easiest of patients)!
Thank you.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 10 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 August 2016

It’s kind of you to get in touch with us. Thank you. I’ve shared your feedback with the ward staff (and James).

Best wishes to you and your mother,
Rebecca Willis.
Ward Manager, Morton.

Trev irvine gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Breech baby C-section fears alleviated

Our son was presenting as breech at 37 weeks, all the staff throughout the pregnancy kept us well informed and gave us all the information and advice so we felt we could make all the right decisions, an ecv was attempted but unsuccessful so we decided that a c-section was the safest option for delivery. My wife had several concerns, however all the staff were very reassuring and the operation itself was amazing, so calm and relaxed we even brought a CD for them to play in theatre whilst it happened, every member of staff; support staff, midwives, aneathesists, obstetricians, surgeons, all made us feel as though we were their absolute priority, and reassured us throughout. The after care we received was incredible too, if anyone else is concerned about having a c-section I would say Nottingham city hospital certainly do their best to make it feel as comfortable as possible, we definitely felt we were in good hands

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 August 2016

Great to hear that you felt well cared for and confident in your care and treatment (before, during and after!) I’ve shared your kind words with all staff.

Very many congratulations on the birth of your son. Enjoy every moment of this precious time.

Thanks you so much for taking the time to get in touch.

Julia Gudgeon.
Maternity Matron, City Hospital.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Awful quality of care and appalling attitudes

Awful nurses, grumpy, rude and uncaring. Consultant uninterested in me as a patient, asking me the same script of questions three times and never writing down my answers. Food was inedible, lost 3kgs each day I remained a patient (nurses didn't notice or care) the fact I had suffered two heart attacks within 7 days before being admitted didn't seem to register and the stress of the poor quality care nearly brought on a third. Go private if you ever get admitted to this hospital

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 17 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 18 August 2016

I’m concerned to read your comments. I think it would be a good idea for us to discuss this in more detail so I can learn more about your experience and investigate further. If you’d like to do so you can contact me directly on 0115 9691169 ext. 58309 or email me on caroline.sheppard@nuh.nhs.uk.

Caroline Sheppard.
Matron, Cardiology.

Cloudless reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Nobody asked about my psychological difficulties

I went for minor breast surgery in the City Hospital Day Case unit today. I am pretty confident my GP had done as she'd said she would and written in her referral letter that I have post-traumatic psychological problems. Certainly the unit had picked up that my GP had suggested I would be more comfortable with a female doctor. It would have helped me if a nurse had asked how my psychological difficulties might affect me during my time in the unit, and what I would have found helpful.
When I started to have difficulties, they did move me into the ward so I wasn't on my own waiting for hours, but they didn't talk to me about me being upset or ask what might help. It wasn't that they were busy all the time. For some of the wait I was the only patient and the nurses were just chatting at the nurses' station. I felt they thought I was worried about the procedure. I wasn't. Being confined was the problem. I waited from 10. 15 - 2pm before going to surgery. My appointment had been for 11. 30 but they'd rung at 8. 30am and asked me to come 'as soon as I could'. I needn't have been in the unit all that time.
It didn't help either that the only magazine on the table had on the cover a story similar to my own trauma. I turned it over. Someone turned it back. Later in the day, a nurse attending the patient next to me looked at the magazine and removed it. Perhaps, like me, she thought it inappropriate in that environment.
On the plus side, the Theatre Support nurse was superb, and the theatre staff and surgeon excellent. The discharge nurse gave me clear information. All the staff in the unit were polite, but I didn't feel seen as an individual by most of them.
In fairness to all of them, I find it a common problem in hospitals for physical conditions that psychological or mental health issues disclosed by me or on my behalf by my GP, are ignored. We are whole people, mind and body. Perhaps it's a topic for additional training.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 July 2016

Thank you for taking time to get in touch with us. I’m sorry to hear that we didn’t consider your psychological (and emotional) needs as well might have during your stay with us. I am also sorry that the magazine you saw on the unit caused unnecessary upset. This is something that we should have considered in advance. It is important that we learn from such cases to improve the experience of future patients. If you’d like to discuss this with me further I’d be very happy to do so. You can contact me on maria.duffin-mills@nuh.nhs.uk or via 0115 9691169 ext. 56055.

Maria Dufifn-Mills.
Matron, Breast Services.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent maternity services

I recently gave birth to my first child at city hospital. I was supported at the sanctuary birth centre with my labour. The staff were excellent, very supportive, caring and helped me and my husband feel informed. This ultimately helped me remain relaxed and the labour was pretty swift. I was then supported on the ward for a couple of days to help me establish breast feeding. Again the staff were excellent and gave me that bit of extra support to help me feed my son. We are now at home and everything is going well!! A big Thank you to all the staff in the sanctuary birth centre and Lawrence ward for making my experience a pleasant one.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 July 2016

Congratulations on the birth of your first child - I'm glad to hear how supportive the staff at the Sanctuary Birth Centre and on Lawrence ward were. I will share your kind feedback with staff.

Best wishes to you and your new family,

Julie Gudgeon.
Maternity Matron, Nottingham City Hospital.

John Wood gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and support in TIA ward

I was referred to the City following a TIA. Despite a mix-up at my surgery resulting in me arriving a day early I was slotted into the system and made welcome. The service and treatment I received was as good as it gets and I would like to record my thanks and express my admiration to everyone involved at every level. As a result of my illness I had to re-arrange other appointments in Urology. This was done with total professionalism and a real care for the circumstances resulting from my TIA.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 17 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 18 July 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear about the mix-up with your surgery but glad to hear everything was sorted out for you and you were made to feel welcome. I’ve passed your message on to my colleagues in the Stroke Team, who appreciate your kind words.
Best wishes,

Bev Brady
Stroke & Respiratory Matron

oscar111 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

I am extremely concerned about the lack of continuity of care on the ward. I...

I am extremely concerned about the lack of continuity of care on the ward. I have yet to see the same nurses working in the same bay during a 7 day period. When talking to staff I am told "I have only been here 6 weeks" "I will ask a doctor to speak to you"
The doctor did not know the patient as they were new. The locum doctor for the week-end who was not from nottingham knew more, as the doctor had read the notes!
The ward seems to have a lack of fans. I asked if the bay had more than 1 fan, to be told that the other bays had 2 each but this one has 1 and another could not be found. As these patients are on a stroke unit and as such immobile this is unacceptable.
It is time surely for the estates department to consider air-conditioning.
I also find it short-sighted that the kitchens are not equipped with an ice making machine. The bay area reached Temperatures of 36 degrees during the week even staff and visitors were finding it unbearable.
I am more than happy to speak to anyone about any of the above.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 25 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 26 July 2016

Thank you for getting in touch. I’d like to look into each of your concerns more fully, please. As you suggest, it might be a good idea if you and I discussed this so I can find out which ward you refer to (we have three stroke wards) so that we can provide a comprehensive response to each of the points you have raised with us. If you wish to contact me you can do so on 0115 9691169 ext. 75031 or email Helen.gergory@nuh.nhs.uk. I look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Gregory.

Matron, Stroke.

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Friendly nurses, abrupt doctor!

I came for a flexible sigmoidoscopy a few weeks ago, the nurses were very helpful and friendly and made me feel really comfortable. The doctor conducting the sigmoidoscopy was the opposite. They didn't turn around from their computer when I went into the treatment room, they waited until I was lying on my side iwth my back to them before attempting a conversation, still without leaving their computer, a little consideration wouldn't have gone amiss seeing as I was having a pretty unpleasant procedure, they didn't make me feel comfortable in their care. There were also a fair few student nurses in the treatment room as well, didn't bother me, but I bit of warning would have been nice!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 July 2016

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the behaviour, manner and attitude of your doctor made you feel uncomfortable. It is important that we tackle inappropriate and unprofessional behaviours by raising with staff directly wherever we can. Can you please contact me on adam.brooks@nuh.nhs.uk so we can get this information from you, and if you wish us to do so, we can follow-up with the individual concerned. I am sorry we didn’t inform you in advance that student nurses would be present in the treatment room. This is an oversight on our part.

Adam Brooks.
Divisional Director, Surgery.

MayaB gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care during labour

I recently gave birth to my first child at city hospital. Being my first I had no idea what to expect but the staff on the labour suite and the labour ward were very caring, patient and helpful. They listened to me and my needs and advised me accordingly allowing me to make informed decisions about my care. The midwives looking after me during my labour were very professional and very caring. The registrar attending my labour ensured they explained everything to me -what they were doing and why- in lay mans terms which was very helpful and reduced my anxieties about my labour and the birth of my daughter. I cannot thank the team enough for all their help. I would definitely recommend city hospital to others and if I have another child I will definitely be returning to the labour suite at city hospital.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 July 2016

Very many congratulations on the birth of your first child. I will share your kind feedback with staff on the labour suite and ward.

Best wishes to you and your new family,

Julie Gudgeon.
Maternity Matron, Nottingham City Hospital

Ken Trinder gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

My Care Could Not Have Been Better

I recently spent a few days in the ACU ward and I don't think my care could have been better. All the staff I met were very considerate and caring. I also witness the effort they put into looking after another patient who was clearly seriously poorly and I was extremely impressed by the level of care he got.
It made me feel very proud of the NHS and I'm extremely grateful for the level if care I received.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 June 2016

This is wonderful to hear, thank you for sharing not only your own story, but also your experience of seeing how other patients on the ACU were looked after. The whole team were delighted when I shared your kind words with them and asked me to pass on their thanks.

Best wishes,