Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Cloudless reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Nobody asked about my psychological difficulties

I went for minor breast surgery in the City Hospital Day Case unit today. I am pretty confident my GP had done as she'd said she would and written in her referral letter that I have post-traumatic psychological problems. Certainly the unit had picked up that my GP had suggested I would be more comfortable with a female doctor. It would have helped me if a nurse had asked how my psychological difficulties might affect me during my time in the unit, and what I would have found helpful.
When I started to have difficulties, they did move me into the ward so I wasn't on my own waiting for hours, but they didn't talk to me about me being upset or ask what might help. It wasn't that they were busy all the time. For some of the wait I was the only patient and the nurses were just chatting at the nurses' station. I felt they thought I was worried about the procedure. I wasn't. Being confined was the problem. I waited from 10. 15 - 2pm before going to surgery. My appointment had been for 11. 30 but they'd rung at 8. 30am and asked me to come 'as soon as I could'. I needn't have been in the unit all that time.
It didn't help either that the only magazine on the table had on the cover a story similar to my own trauma. I turned it over. Someone turned it back. Later in the day, a nurse attending the patient next to me looked at the magazine and removed it. Perhaps, like me, she thought it inappropriate in that environment.
On the plus side, the Theatre Support nurse was superb, and the theatre staff and surgeon excellent. The discharge nurse gave me clear information. All the staff in the unit were polite, but I didn't feel seen as an individual by most of them.
In fairness to all of them, I find it a common problem in hospitals for physical conditions that psychological or mental health issues disclosed by me or on my behalf by my GP, are ignored. We are whole people, mind and body. Perhaps it's a topic for additional training.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 July 2016

Thank you for taking time to get in touch with us. I’m sorry to hear that we didn’t consider your psychological (and emotional) needs as well might have during your stay with us. I am also sorry that the magazine you saw on the unit caused unnecessary upset. This is something that we should have considered in advance. It is important that we learn from such cases to improve the experience of future patients. If you’d like to discuss this with me further I’d be very happy to do so. You can contact me on maria.duffin-mills@nuh.nhs.uk or via 0115 9691169 ext. 56055.

Maria Dufifn-Mills.
Matron, Breast Services.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent maternity services

I recently gave birth to my first child at city hospital. I was supported at the sanctuary birth centre with my labour. The staff were excellent, very supportive, caring and helped me and my husband feel informed. This ultimately helped me remain relaxed and the labour was pretty swift. I was then supported on the ward for a couple of days to help me establish breast feeding. Again the staff were excellent and gave me that bit of extra support to help me feed my son. We are now at home and everything is going well!! A big Thank you to all the staff in the sanctuary birth centre and Lawrence ward for making my experience a pleasant one.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 July 2016

Congratulations on the birth of your first child - I'm glad to hear how supportive the staff at the Sanctuary Birth Centre and on Lawrence ward were. I will share your kind feedback with staff.

Best wishes to you and your new family,

Julie Gudgeon.
Maternity Matron, Nottingham City Hospital.

John Wood gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and support in TIA ward

I was referred to the City following a TIA. Despite a mix-up at my surgery resulting in me arriving a day early I was slotted into the system and made welcome. The service and treatment I received was as good as it gets and I would like to record my thanks and express my admiration to everyone involved at every level. As a result of my illness I had to re-arrange other appointments in Urology. This was done with total professionalism and a real care for the circumstances resulting from my TIA.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 17 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 18 July 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear about the mix-up with your surgery but glad to hear everything was sorted out for you and you were made to feel welcome. I’ve passed your message on to my colleagues in the Stroke Team, who appreciate your kind words.

Bev Brady
Stroke & Respiratory Matron

MayaB gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care during labour

I recently gave birth to my first child at city hospital. Being my first I had no idea what to expect but the staff on the labour suite and the labour ward were very caring, patient and helpful. They listened to me and my needs and advised me accordingly allowing me to make informed decisions about my care. The midwives looking after me during my labour were very professional and very caring. The registrar attending my labour ensured they explained everything to me -what they were doing and why- in lay mans terms which was very helpful and reduced my anxieties about my labour and the birth of my daughter. I cannot thank the team enough for all their help. I would definitely recommend city hospital to others and if I have another child I will definitely be returning to the labour suite at city hospital.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 July 2016

Very many congratulations on the birth of your first child. I will share your kind feedback with staff on the labour suite and ward.

Best wishes to you and your new family,

Julie Gudgeon.
Maternity Matron, Nottingham City Hospital

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Friendly nurses, abrupt doctor!

I came for a flexible sigmoidoscopy a few weeks ago, the nurses were very helpful and friendly and made me feel really comfortable. The doctor conducting the sigmoidoscopy was the opposite. They didn't turn around from their computer when I went into the treatment room, they waited until I was lying on my side iwth my back to them before attempting a conversation, still without leaving their computer, a little consideration wouldn't have gone amiss seeing as I was having a pretty unpleasant procedure, they didn't make me feel comfortable in their care. There were also a fair few student nurses in the treatment room as well, didn't bother me, but I bit of warning would have been nice!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 July 2016

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the behaviour, manner and attitude of your doctor made you feel uncomfortable. It is important that we tackle inappropriate and unprofessional behaviours by raising with staff directly wherever we can. Can you please contact me on adam.brooks@nuh.nhs.uk so we can get this information from you, and if you wish us to do so, we can follow-up with the individual concerned. I am sorry we didn’t inform you in advance that student nurses would be present in the treatment room. This is an oversight on our part.

Adam Brooks.
Divisional Director, Surgery.

Ken Trinder gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

My Care Could Not Have Been Better

I recently spent a few days in the ACU ward and I don't think my care could have been better. All the staff I met were very considerate and caring. I also witness the effort they put into looking after another patient who was clearly seriously poorly and I was extremely impressed by the level of care he got.
It made me feel very proud of the NHS and I'm extremely grateful for the level if care I received.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 June 2016

This is wonderful to hear, thank you for sharing not only your own story, but also your experience of seeing how other patients on the ACU were looked after. The whole team were delighted when I shared your kind words with them and asked me to pass on their thanks.

Caroline Sheppard,
Matron, Cardiology

Jane Nock gave Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) service at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Three Hour wait for an 83 year old lady.

My 83 year old mother attended an appointment on 14/6/16 for an endoscopy, her appointment was at 10.15 am, she was eventually seen at 2.15pm. Several attempts were made by us to find out what the delay was as there were patients who had arrived after my mother and were being seen before her. Reception and nursing staff ignored my mothers request for an update on when she would be seen. Staff were rude and ignorant right up until the point when she was eventually called in to see the consultant, it was only at this point that an apology was made. There was still no explanation why she had been missed. We are very very disappointed at the lack of care and acknowledgement by the reception and nursing staff towards my elderly mother who was already very anxious about having to have an endoscopy. I hope that my mother never has to attend this department again at least until a full explanation and apology has been given and staff have learnt from their mistakes.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 22 June 2016

I am very sorry to hear that we fell short when it came to keeping you fully updated and informed about what was happening when your mother attended for her appointment. This isn’t good enough. Would you mind getting in touch with me so I can get some extra detail so we can learn from this experience and where necessary speak to individual staff so that they can hear of your experience and reflect on the impact of their actions. You can contact me directly on jean.barker@nuh.nhs.uk. It is easier to get me by email as I am often away from my office. However, you can call a patient experience officer on 0115 9249924 ext. 66117 and leave your details and I will call you back if you prefer.

Jean Barker.
Matron, Gastroenterology

Tony howard gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Radiotherepy south

Great great great department of radiotherepy the south department is full of hard working staff who treat all with kindness and dignity thank you for looking after me

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 12 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 22 June 2016

This is great to hear. Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve shared your kind words with our radiotherapy team, who greatly appreciate your kind words and gratitude.

Dr Dan Saunders
Head of Service, Radiotherapy

Leeds1 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Had a toe amputated

I had a hammer toe, which became ulcerated, I visited my GPS who gave me medication, unfortunately it didn'the get better and I was advised to go to the podiatry dept at Park House, Primary Care Centre Charlton, Nottingham, . I was assessed and it was treated, after a short time I was given more advice and a suggestion was made to have it amputated. 8th was either to have it all off 9r 1/2 it off. I decided to have it taken off. I had my toe amputated last month and the service jobs received by the whole team was very good and I couldn't fault anything.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 June 2016

Thanks for your kind words. I'm pleased that you felt you received good service.

Wishing you well in your recovery.

Sharon Saunders
Matron, Elective Orthopaedics

Dilwyn reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Day surgery appointments

I have chronic pain syndrome and receive infusions in day surgery every 12 weeks or should I say I should do because it's not been the case to date.
I have to phone at about 11 weeks to try and get my next appointment to be treated disrespectfully by the appointment clerk, the last comment I had when I asked politely why I had not received my 12 week letter to be told because we haven't sent it out yet and the doctors have to have holidays? I don't disagree that they deserve holidays however I deserve the treatment I receive for the chronic pain as I'm disabled through serving this country and have these problems because of that?
Therefore I would question why I have to chase every appointment to be made to feel it's your problem not mine I know my problems but I do not need to be talked as if I'm being a nuisance?

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 May 2016

Thank you for writing in - I'm sorry that this was your experience. Your concerns will be shared with the booking staff and with the directorate management team. We are doing all we can to improve waiting times and meet patients' expectations for their appointments. If you would like to speak to a service manager about any of the concerns you have you are welcome to do so, please call 0115 840 2652 and ask to speak to the service manager.

Paula Dixon