Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Melanie Williamson gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I was admittited into RAU and then spent 5 nights on flemming ward. The care I received was brilliant. During my stay I actually became to feel really poorly and the staff were brilliant, caring and reassuring, nothing was too much trouble. They would go out of their way to check on you not just at obs/medication time but during the day/night. I felt in very safe hands.I was Informed what was happening and the plan of action and what and how my medication would help.
The two sisters on the ward during my stay deserve a special mention, the way in which they ran the ward was exemplary! They personally went out of their way to ensure they knew how their patients were doing, which was very reassuring and the care given was fantastic.
I can only talk from personal experience but for me during that 48 hour period of really not feeling well they were excellent. I personally can't thank them and the team enough. you do a brilliant job!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 September 2017

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience in our care. I’ve shared your kind words with my colleagues on RAU and Fleming ward, including the Sisters.
We hope you are feeling better after feeling so unwell.
Our best wishes

Helen Gregory
Respiratory Matron

Jill Skeavington gave Oncology - Clinical at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Unacceptable wating time

The waiting time at the oncology clinic was an unacceptable one hour and thirty five minutes to see a doctor for three minutes and be told that 'everything is fine'. I asked if there had been any change in my scan and was told that there was no change.
Surely this information could have been given in a phone call, thus saving me a 25 mile round trip and 4 hours of my life. Not forgetting the waste of the doctors time.
As I said, totally unacceptable.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

I’m sorry to hear you had a long wait. Regrettably some clinics do fall behind, but where this happens we should keep patients informed and of course apologise. We are looking at which outpatient appointments can be changed to a phone call instead of a hospital visit and we will take your helpful feedback on board as we review this process.

Karen Thorpe
Manager, Oncology Outpatients

Bisto reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

The quickness of treatment at Nottingham city hospital.

My wife attended haematology.
well-done everyone in that department. , my wife attended clinic 7 and was treated and walking down the hospital drive half an hour later well done to everyone in clinic 7

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 September 2017

Great news! Thank you for getting in touch to share your story. I’ve shared your feedback with the team.

Best wishes to you and your wife,

Laura Mannering

Haematology Day Case Ward Manager.

Eileen Bridges gave Nephrology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Age 93 male, in patient for 2 weeks renal ward.

In patient for approximately 2 weeks.
He was admitted to a holding ward, I understand he was transferred to his permanent ward at 2am where he was transferred by wheel chair at speed, which clearly frightened him
Doctors did not return calls from family when agreed to by duty staff.
Failed to respond to alarm on machine attached to drip through line, until summoned by visitor.
Was left unshaven for 3 days, was not washed until 2pm on more than one occasion and then only after request.
Did not get breakfast one day, but then offered at 11:40am ie just before lunch. Because he was nearly blind he had difficulty with opening containers ie butter and icecream. but was not given assistance and because of his deafness he found it difficult to get his message over, and required more patience.
Although a sandwich was provided by family each day for tea it was not always given to him. Staff were made aware of this each day.
Blood on floor not removed until pointed out and we were told that it had been there for some hours.
Was advised of anticipated discharge on 4 different days when it did not take place when they had been advised that carers needed 48 hours notice. Patient advised of possible discharge when medically it was clearly not going to happen (test results known) increasing anxiety. Staff had been asked not to advise patient until it was certain.
Request for extra pillow, response was to put a blanket under the other pillow because they couldn't find one resulting in stiff neck.
Request for cardigan to be put on (drip needed to be removed), took over 3 hours and several requests (they feel the cold at age 93)
Doctors were approachable when you could find one.
In summary the care was patchy, some of the nursing staff and carers were very nice and one nurse was downright 'hostile'
He had previously been in QMC for periods of 4 weeks and one week and the level of care was wonderful and could not be faulted, there is no comparison

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 September 2017

Dear Eileen. I am deeply concerned to read your account of the care a patient experienced in our care. I apologise that we fell short in so many areas.

I would like to look into your concerns. Would you mind contacting me so we can discuss in more detail. If so, you can reach me on 0115 969 1169 ext. 54487 or Belinda.dring@nuh.nhs.uk.

Belinda Dring.

Matron for renal and transplant.

David gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

A scary time in my life

This is a time we all dread, when the big C enters your life. I was told I needed an operation, you accept this you have no choice.

The big day arrives and you know your life is no longer under your own control, it is in someone else's hands, that does nothing for your nerves at all.

I walked into the theatre and the first shock is how many people there are in there, why do they need them all, what are they all going to do?

Immediately the mood changes, everyone is light hearted cracking jokes about each other, some with a similar sense of humour to my own, I could listen to this all day I think to myself, maybe this won't be so bad after all. Of course this what it's all about, to put you at ease, and it did.

When I woke up I had the same team still laughing at me, and I laughed as well, what a place this is I thought, where would we be without it.

I say goodbye to the team, to whom I will be forever grateful and am transferred to the recovery room where a nurse pampers me and tells me how much they love their job, as do all the staff in there, the nurse made me smile, they were lovely.

All too soon I have to leave my lovely nurse and am on my way to the burns unit where I will complete my stay. Super efficiency being the order of the day here, never failing to wake you up at 2.00 am to take your blood pressure for the thirty fifth time that day, all in a good cause I'm sure, you can't be too careful can you?

I have to say the care I received in there was second to none, the nurses were lovely, nothing was too much trouble and all with a very willing smile.

I lost count of all the doctors and specialists who came to see me, how much must all this cost, I thought many times.

Our NHS is the envy of the world, and in my opinion City Hospital is the jewel in the crown.

I hope I never need them again, but if I do and I have the choice it's City Hospital for me.

Thanks guys you are worth every penny and much, much more. I will be forever grateful to you all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 September 2017

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience in our care David. It’s appreciated. I’ve sent your comment to the team.
Sending our best wishes.

Lesley Reilly
Divisional Nurse for Cancer & Associated Specialties

Anonymous gave Haematology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Haematology Clinic excellent service

Attended the Haematology Clinic on 2 occasions. Staff helpful and friendly . Appointments on time. Consultant thorough and very helpful. Could not fault the service in any way

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 September 2017

Thank you for sharing such lovely feedback about your experience in our care. I’m pleased to hear that staff were helpful and friendly. I’ve shared your comments with the team.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Belinda Dring.

Matron, Renal and Clinical Haematology.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

excellent maternity care

I accompanied my sister last when she gave birth last week, spending time on both the Bonington ward during antenatal and and postnatal care and on the labour suite.
The staff on Bonington ward, were fantastic and on the labour suite midwifes were absolutely faultless, despite a lengthy induction process and delays due to the hospital being very busy, which had the potential to turn into a terrifying and traumatic experience, they were able to ensure that my sister was guided through a positive, calm and controlled delivery.
They were kind,attentive and jumped on any potential problem straight away, i felt that it was more than just a job to them and that they genuinely cared, for example they asked and remembered the names of both of me and my sisters other birth partner, which were small details that can make a big difference. They chatted to us throughout and put us all at ease and when there was a problem they made sure that we were reassured and were aware and took the time to explain what was going on. I can't fault them at all and even the anaesthetist was fantastic, the whole team looked after my sister and her baby so well and we can't thank them enough, they are a real credit to your hospital.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 20 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 21 September 2017

This really is lovely to read, thank you. We have such dedicated, caring teams and I’m pleased that they were able to keep you all reassured and informed throughout the process, as well as providing such great care to your sister and her baby.

Thank you and best wishes from us all,

Helen Janiszewski.

Maternity Matron, City Hospital.

Angela Hanby gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

New Knee

I have just had a knee replacement at Nottingham City Hospital.
From the consultant to the cleaners I could not have received better care!!
The Theatre Admissions unit were very welcoming. The nurses always about I case you needed them
The Aneasthatist and their Nurse specialist along with the theatre assistant were very professional, caring and allayed any fears
I was admitted to Harvey 1 ward post op.
I had a few problems in the first night post op,but always felt safe and cared for by the ward staff. So that by next morning I was much better
I spent 4 nights on Harvey1 I could not have paid for such good care. Everyone was kind and considerate,they made sure to tell you their name and always used yours
Whilst the food was not home cooking...how could it be...it was varied tasty nutritious and well presented
The staff nurses on Harvey 1 who cared for me were wonderful and the care assistants lovely.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 August 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 August 2017

Good morning Angela. We are grateful for your feedback. Thank you. I’m pleased to hear that you felt so well cared for and looked during your stay and post-operatively. I have shared your comments with the ward and theatre teams and wider support teams, including our brilliant cleaning and catering staff.

I hope you’re continuing to recover well at home.

With best wishes,

Julia Holmes.

Ward Sister.

S Prior gave Oncology - Clinical at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment received for breast cancer

I have now come to the end of active treatment for breast cancer and I can't thank City Hospital enough for the excellent care received.

I was diagnosed in January 2017 and had a masectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am forever grateful to everyone involved with my care - my Breast Care Nurse, Surgeon, Consultants and Nurses (especially in the chemotherapy unit) and the radiographers. They have all made a tramatic experience much bearable and I have been treated with compassion and respect all the way through.

Thank you!
Sarah Prior

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 August 2017

Thanks so much for your feedback Sarah regarding the compassionate care and respect you received from all staff who looked after you during your treatment. I’ve shared your kind words with the breast service, who are incredible grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch.

Maria Duffin-Mills
Matron, Breast Services

Nick prokopiuk gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Harvey 2 city hospital nottingham

The staff there are very caring and help you as much as possible if you want it quite you can have it.they will have a laugh with you while still caring after you nothing is too much trouble for them they need a medal for putting up with us moaning men
Only time they get mad at you , you don't tell them every thing but that's a man thing because we know best lol thanks again to all the nurses, cleaning staff ,and doctors ,surgeons Thank a again ❤️

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 August 2017

Thanks for taking the time to feedback Nick. I’ve shared your message with the team, who send their thanks and best wishes.
Warm regards,