Cossham Hospital

Telephone: 0117 340 8400
Address: Lodge Road, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 1LF
Website: http://www.nbt.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Cossham Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Appointment telephone system is a joke

I needed to contact the dermatology clinic that I attend at Cossham as I have been diagnosed with bowel cancer and need chemotherapy. I rang the number on my appointment letter (0117-3405249) and once deciding that it wasn't a change of appointment I chose the option zero for the operator. At that point I was cut off. Twice. I typed Cossham Hospital into a search engine, got this website and called the number listed (0117-3408400). I was dealt with helpfully and efficiently. However, this begs the question, why use a number on appointment letter that clearly doesn't work.

My last visit in December was fine and I rated you highly. The staff I have had contact with have been efficient and courteous.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 09 April 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 09 April 2014

Dear Anonymous – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Dermatology at Cossham Hospital. I am sorry that your experience of trying to contact the service was clearly frustrating, but pleased that eventually you were dealt with helpfully and efficiently.

In preparation for the new hospital building at Southmead the telephone system for the Trust is being updated and I can only think the problems you experienced were related to this. I have referred your concerns to the Information Management and Technology Department to make sure the issue is resolved and that the no other patients have the same difficulties.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards – Steve Sykes
Advice and Complaints Team.

littletoes gave Maternity service at Cossham Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Lovely place, only wish I'd had a water birth!

Thankfully and firstly, I was fortunate in giving birth fairly straightforwardly to a beautiful healthy son. The rooms are lovely and were great for full paternal involvement from beginning to very end - it was very special for dad to have the option of staying with us overnight until leaving. The staff were all very kind, especially the ?healthcare assistant? who looked after us after giving birth very well indeed. Thank you.

The only persona let down for me was that I didn't get to use the birth pool (despite it being in my birth plan and mentioning it on admission). It was one of our pro's leading us to choose to give birth at Cossham but I just don't know why we didn't get to use it (although I found it very helpful to hold onto during contractions and didn't let go of it). When it became clear to my partner that birth was getting near he did ask if I could get in, but we were advised it was too late at that point. Having not given birth in a pool before, I had no idea what the right time would be, and I guess I was too focused on contractions to be 'with it' (and I am not naturally persuasive/demanding anyhow). So I guess I would suggest to others to be more enquiring as to when you can get in it if you want to have a water birth. Or, perhaps ask the midwife if she could suggest at a suitable point that it be run for you?

If I was giving birth again, I would enquire more about water births at the different centres, and perhaps try to be a tad more determined and less reliant on what I had written in my yellow book!

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 01 April 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 09 April 2014

Dear Littletoes – thank you for posting your feedback about your experience at the Cossham Birth Centre. I am pleased that, on balance, you found the birth of your son to be so positive and regret that you did not get to use the birthing pool. It is unfortunate that your delivery progressed so quickly to a stage that made entry to the pool unsafe. I have forwarded your comments and thanks to the team at Cossham as a point of learning to improve for mothers’ experiences in the future.

I hope that you are enjoying this special time with your new son.

Kind Regards – Steve Sykes
Advice and Complaints Team.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A beautiful perfect experience!

Throughout my pregnancy, I was hoping all the way along that I would be able to go to cossham birth centre and have a natural birth with little intervention and that's exactly what the amazing midwives at cossham were able to provide! The room that I had my daughter in was beautiful and with such a relaxing atmosphere, the midwives were fantastic and I will never forget them. The facilities were wonderful and the birth room looked more like a hotel room!
7 months on and when I drive past cossham birth centre, I have such fond memories of the perfect birth experience that I hoped for.
For anyone wanting a natural birth I would thoroughly recommend going to cossham birth centre!
I hope that if I am lucky enough to have more children in the future, I can go to cossham once again as the experience I had was absolutely perfect!

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 25 March 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 26 March 2014

Dear Anonymous – thank you for your feedback on your perfect experience of Cossham Hospital Maternity services. I will feed back to your comments to the team at Cossham who I am sure will be pleased to know how fondly you remember the birth of your daughter and hear how they were able to support you.

Sophie gave Maternity service at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Birthing Centre

I was booked into have my son at Cossham, my waters broke and I was contracting straight away. After first being told by a midwife not to come in yet I arrived at the hospital an hour later already in advanced labour. On arrival it was a dusky summer evening and the room was dimly lit and very comfortable and calming. All decisions were left down to me and I shortly opted to get in the pool (another plus all rooms are fully equipt with anything you may want!)
Unfortunatly I was transferred to Southmead due to preeclampsia but even my transfer was very calm and well planned out a midwife travelled with me in the ambulance and never once left my side until I was settled in at Southmead.
I cant recommend this hospital enough I would without a doubt come back!

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 21 February 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 25 March 2014

Dear Sophie – I was very pleased to read of your positive experience last year when your baby was born. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your positive views of the maternity services at Cossham and Southmead hospitals.

I have fed back you kind comments to the teams at both hospitals.

Kind regards – Steve Sykes

Anonymous gave Cossham Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Gynaecology appointment at Cossham.........

Much better than travelling to Southmead when I live in Kingswood, stress levels lower for a start.

Only a few minutes late being seen and a nurse accompanied me to see specialist, I was introduced to the student and we discussed the problems which included my GP letter. I was advised that an examination would be necessary and the nurse checked the bed was to my level, I am short, my dignity was upheld and I was included in the conversation
when the problem was explained. As I did not need an operation again, just further treatment, I was more than happy.

It is a shame that some on the reviews on this site are from when the hospital was being refurbished, believe me it is now a thousand times better.

Please ensure the minor injuries unit is included soon

PAH

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 17 February 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 25 February 2014

Dear Anonymous – thank you for your comments about the Gynecology service at Cossham Hospital. I am pleased that you found the experience so positive and that you felt you were included in the process and decision about your care and treatment.

Your kind comments will be fedback to the team concerned.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Cossham Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Parking troublesome

I arrived 10 minutes late for my afternoon appointment. I was delayed when parking and so pulled up in front and ran in to explain to the receptionist. She supposedly called my department to explain. I went back in 5-10mins later to say I could still not get parked and what could I do ? She only then advised regarding a second car parking option which was a building site the last time I visited so was not aware of it. I parked and went in with the understanding that I would still be seen. Now, 30mins late my baby had a small but significant vomit on the way in and I needed to go via the toilets, the upstairs receptionist was on the phone for 5 mins when I got there. She then claimed that I was 1 hour late (it was 45 mins late) for my appointment, with a big sign on the desk telling me not to take it out on her I said nothing. She told me I would need to re-book. I had waited 7 months for that appointment! I know that I arrived 10 mins late but parking took 35 mins and the receptionist could have helped with timely parking advice and most annoyingly I went up expecting to still be seen given my conversation at the front desk. As someone who works in the NHS and who often has had to deal with late show patients, I found the flexibility and support of staff very poor. The NHS is such a slow system if this had been a private appoint I would have been quicker anyway. 7 months and still waiting....

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 03 February 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 25 February 2014

Dear Anonymous – thank you for your comments about your recent experience at Cossham Hospital. I was very concerned to read your post, as your encounter clearly lacked any of the understanding and empathy normally demonstrated by Maternity services staff.

I regret that the communication was so poor, and that despite your best efforts to ensure you would be seen, no flexibility was shown. This is clearly not the level of service we expect for any of our patients and I regret that you were not listened to and any allowances made or the reason why this may not have been possible clearly explained.
Your comments have been fedback to the staff concerned.

Advice and Complaints Team

DJG gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CT Colonoscopy Virtual

Being a little apprehensive of both the procedure and reading a few negative reviews, I am pleased to say that the CT staff were brilliant throughout. All 3 members of staff that I encountered introduced themselves and were genuinely pleasant and helpful.
Scan area, changing room and facilities were clean and very well organised, giving both privacy and a professional approach.
No waiting, quick procedure and a cup of tea. Well done!

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 03 February 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 25 February 2014

Dear DJG – thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment on your experience at Cossham hospital. I was pleased to learn that apprehension was not realised and that the whole experience was very positive.

Your kind comments have been fed back to the radiology team.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Birth Centre

I gave birth to my son at Cossham Birth Centre and couldn't have had a better experience. All the staff were so friendly caring and informative. I needed a transfer to southmead post delivery which was disappointing as would love to have stayed longer but even my transfer was well handled and at no time did I feel at risk. Fantastic service highly recommended and the staff should be very proud.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 03 January 2014

Cossham Hospital replied on 25 February 2014

Dear Anonymous – thank you for taking the time and trouble to advise of your very positive experience at Cossham Birth Centre

Your kind comments have been fed back to the maternity teams at both sites.

F Shamanka gave Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Super Quick Service

I was referred to Cossham Hospital for a lung x - ray and put it off because I was expecting a long wait and a lot of hassle. I was very pleasantly surprised. It is a small, attractive hospital, the staff were friendly and helpful and the wait for an x-ray was less than 10 minutes. If only all hospital experiences were this easy!

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 04 December 2013

Cossham Hospital replied on 04 December 2013

Dear Ms Shamanka – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your positive views of Cossham Hospital’s Radiology Service.

I was pleased to learn that you found the environment so pleasant, the staff professional and friendly and that you received your x-ray in a timely fashion. I have passed on your comments to the North Bristol Radiology Service managers so it can be shared with the team involved.

Kind regards – Steve Sykes
Advice and Complaints Team Manager

Zodiac64 gave Dermatology at Cossham Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Extremely unhelpful and uncaring

I was referred to this hospital by Southmead for skin lesions caused by renal transplantation medications.

My appointment was made for the future using what is now termed the 'patient passway' timescale however these skin lesions began to spread with extreme itching and bleeding.

I certainly became far more concerned that there had been a deterioration and I attempted to bring my appointment forward because of these concerns.

After half a dozen calls to get though to this hospital by telephoning various numbers the reply from the appointments centre was curt to say the least and certainly unhelpful in the circumstances.

I was told the appointment would not be changed, and I was to 'go back to your GP and if they think it is necessary then they will write again'

So again, here is the passing of the buck and more wasted time.

This stock reply is no longer acceptable to me as a patient. and It shouldn't be to anyone who attempts to make any hospital aware of any changes in shape, form and feel of possibly cancerous lesions on the body.

I shall certainly go back to my consultant now and request that I am not treated at this hospital which clearly has already shown little regard or dignity for me as a patient.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 01 November 2013

Cossham Hospital replied on 21 November 2013

Dear Zodiac64 – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your views of the Cossham Service. I apologise that it has taken me a while to respond but I was not alerted to your post.

I am sorry that you found contacting the hospital so difficult and that the correct telephone numbers were not provided on your appointment forms. Regrettably, it is not always possible to amend appointments as existing clinics maybe fully booked and this is likely to be the reason why you will have been referred back to your GP who would be able to review you more quickly and then arrange an appointment through a different route to ensure you were seen in a timely manner if appropriate. I very much regret that this was not fully explained to you at the time and that the communication was poor and unhelpful.

Your comments have been feedback to the Urology Service Manager so action can be taken to ensure other patients do not experience the difficulties you encountered.

Please accept my apologies that the service you received felt short of the standards that we expect for all our patients.