Cossham Hospital

Address: Lodge Road, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 1LF
Website: http://www.nbt.nhs.uk

maggie gave General Medicine at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

spine x ray

Received excellent,professional and highly efficient care when I visited the x ray department for an appointment. I was in the department for no longer than 20 minutes,from start to finish, from the helpful volunteer at main reception to the x ray receptionist to the pleasant radiographer, all were second to none.well done Cossham, a jewel in a crown,the people of Bristol should cherish you all.highly professional well managed hospital.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 08 August 2015

Cossham Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

Dear Maggie - thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your experience and views about the service you received from Cossham Hospital. I am pleased you found the experienec so positive and will share your feedback with the staff.
Kind regards - Steve Sykes

Jan Marshall gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Virtual CT

I attended for the above on Friday 21st August. I found the whole experience far better than I had expected. I was called in early for my appointment and the three staff were amazing and thoroughly caring and professional.

I was very anxious as I am a severe claustrophobic and was dreading the CT scan but the
staff were fantastic and put me completely at ease. Thank you all.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 23 August 2015

Cossham Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

Dear Jan – I am pleased that your experience of the Gastrointestinal and Liver Services at Cossham was so positive and staff were able to allay your fears about the procedure. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your views, I will pass on your comments to the team.
Kind regards – Steve Sykes

Cini gave Cossham Hospital a rating of 1 stars

poor involvement and discrimination

I went to Cossham Hospital on 09/07/15 at 14.35 for CATS shoulder and elbow clinic appointment. The appointment was for my husband as he requested me to attend the appointment with him. So we went together with my 3 1/2 year old daughter.When we reached to the reception, the staff were very helpful and advised us to got to first floor and meet the receptionist. We met the second receptionist and advised to wait in the waiting area. Few minutes after the consultant arrived and asked to follow them. The consultant did not introduce themself and on the way to his room mentioned to me that their is no space for me to be with my husband. So they asked me to wait outside. I replied that I dont need to sit their, I will stand near to my husband and listen to the conversation. When we reached into the consultation room their was three chair and enough space for more than four people. The consultant started to examine my husband and demanded me to wait outside again. Also they mentioned that they will call me back after the examination. I went outside to the room, by the time my daughter started to crying quiet loudly. Because she could not understand what was going on and why her father not coming out from the room. Meanwhile the consultant came out again from that room and asked me to wait outside the area. They waited in the main door until we vacate the area. My daughter extremly scared of that situation and very difficult to calm her down while I was waiting outside for my husband and call form the consultant. During that time the receptionist from that floor approached to me and asked me to keep my daughter quiet. The receptionist told me that their ladies are delivering and they will be disturbed. I tried to explain the situation but they were not interested to listen. The few minutes later my husband came out and mentioned me that consultation is over. The consultant not called me or either explained the plan of the treatment. I felt that experience was disgusting and nobody deserved to treating like that. The consultant was rude. Not only they caused my daughter in real situation like become confused and distressed. I am also working in an health and social service, I never heard a children is not allowed to visit the hospital or an assistant not allowed in a consultant room. I hope this kind of experience ever happened to my life.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 14 July 2015

Cossham Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A very pleasant experience

I had an outpatient gastro appointment today. This was my first visit and what a lovely experience. Turned up to free parking, although spaces limited which is understandable. Reception was helpful and the nurses just lovely. I had a 9am appointment so I think I was probably one of the first to be seen so no waiting time. In and out quickly. Saw the consultant and needed a blood test. When I left the consultant room a nurse was there to see me and take blood. I was out within 25 mins of my appointment time and had plenty of time with the gastro consultant to discuss things.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

Cossham Hospital replied on 06 July 2015

Dear Anonymous – I was pleased to read that you had a good experience when you attend Cossham Hospital, Gastrointestinal and Liver Services, and that the staff were professional and supportive in their approach. It was kind of you to take the time and trouble to post the details of your experience. Your comments will be shared with the staff at Cossham.

Kind regards – Steve Sykes

K Burford gave Cossham Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible visit

Called NHS 111 number in the evening to give symptoms of a painful and blocked ear, and was given an outpatient appointment at 8am the next day. Arrived 20 mins early and waited in an empty waiting room to see the doctor who was 30 mins late, with no apology.

Consultation was 2 mins long, where the doctor checked my ear and told me it was blocked with wax.

The doctor was entirely unsympathetic to my pain and discomfort, and advised me to try using olive oil or buy my own syringing kit. I had been using specialised ear drops for week, and had wanted to see a medical professional to have my ears syringed - not risk doing it myself.

Apparently though, the doctor had no access to an ear syringe. As a qualified doctor. In a hospital. Where the outpatient area was next door to the Audiology department.

You would think somebody who works in healthcare would have some degree of empathy towards a person experiencing pain and discomfort, but as the doctor said 'there is nothing I can do as this is not a medical emergency', my condition was clearly not serious enough to deserve their attention.

I was completely unsatisfied with the level of service I received, it was a complete waste of time, and I would definitely not use this service again.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 23 May 2015

Cossham Hospital replied on 01 June 2015

Dear Sir/Madam – I am sorry that you found the ENT service at Cossham, which is operated by our colleagues from UHB unhelpful. Regrettably, I cannot comment on the clinical decision of the person you saw, but I regret that they did not appear to be empathetic, or advise why it was not appropriate to provide you with specific treatment while you attended the clinic.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post the details of your experience and I hope that your symptoms have now resolved.

Martin gave General Medicine at Cossham Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Inept Receptionist

My wife took our adult daughter to Cossham last night (25 May 2015) to see a doctor due to urgent help needed with the control of her epilepsy. The appointment was made for 7.45pm. At 8.45pm after most of the other patients had left, my daughter went back up to the Receptionist to ask why the delay was so long? It appeared my daughter's appointment had got 'lost in the system' and as a result, after the receptionist pressed the right button this time, she had to continue to wait before her name was eventually called.

The incompetency of this person resulted in my daughter's stress levels rising dramatically (one of the reasons they were there in the first place!) and if you know anything about epilepsy, this is not a good thing.

Sort the Reception out Cossham please!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 May 2015

Cossham Hospital replied on 01 June 2015

Dear Martin – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post the details of your families experience at Cossham Hospital.
I was very sorry to learn of the error made by the receptionist and the impact this had on your daughter. Please accept my apologies that she had to wait for so long to be seen at such a critical time. This is clearly now we would wish for any of our patient’s.
Although I am sure the receptionist regrets their error your comments will be fed back to the hospital team so that the individual can be identified and can reflect on the impact the error had. In this way I am sure they will learn from your family’s poor experience and make sure the correct process is followed in future.
I hope that your daughter, has now had the help that she needs to control her symptoms.

Helen M gave Maternity services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing birth centre

I gave birth at Cossham and the experience was wonderful, even though I did have to be transferred to hospital afterwards for blood loss. The rooms are calming, clean, light and spacious with huge both pools. The staff are incredible and very encouraging and calming during labour and birth. I was devastated to have to be transferred after birth to southmead but very grateful to the midwife who delivered my daughter for spotting signs of breathing difficulties which led to heI gave birth at Cossham and the experience was wonderful, even though I did have to be transferred to hospital afterwards for blood loss. The rooms are calming, clean, light and spacious with huge birth pools. The staff are incredible and very encouraging and calming during labour and birth. I was devastated to have to be transferred after birth to southmead but very grateful to the midwife who delivered my daughter for spotting signs of breathing difficulties which led to her needing antibiotics. Having experienced cossham and then southmead immediately afterwards, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend cossham to every pregnant woman. There is no comparison. r needing antibiotics. Having experienced cossham and then southmead immediately afterwards, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend cossham to every pregnant woman.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 13 February 2015

Cossham Hospital has not yet replied.

grandpa Bob gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CT / MRI dept well done!

Had CT Colonoscopy yesterday. Well done to the staff all done with care, compassion and dignity. Facilities are very nice with an air of calm efficiency, also very clean and a nice cup of tea afterwards.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 24 February 2015

Cossham Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Cossham Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Gastroenterology Consultation

I was referred by my GP to Gastroenterology as I have had problems with both ends many times a day for over two years, but I have had ongoing problems for 12 years, but in the last few years it's got worse and I lost nearly 4 and a half stone in 6 months and my GP ran some tests but couldn't figure out why so they asked the specialist for help. I waited in a freezing cold waiting room in Cossham for an hour and 45 minutes, was greeted by a very rude young person who turned out to be the specialist, they barraged me with abuse as i had been in the toilet when they came out. They didn't bother asking me my symptoms and every time I tried to speak or show them the symptoms list I bring with me to specialist appointments, they wouldn't let me talk, they shouted me down, they then accused me of making myself ill on purpose to get attention, they spent 15 minutes speaking to me as if i was a piece of dirt and highly unworthy of their time or attention, trying to get me to agree with their diagnosis and told me they were sending me to a dietician and another specialist to talk about my eating disorder - the eating disorder they decided i had. They examined me then was very rude, i suffer balance/dizziness issues and mobility issues and couldn't get off the couch quickly enough for them , hthe consultant was rude and berated me until i was able to get off the couch and sit down again. They said they would book an Endoscopy which they told me repeatedly was a waste of their time and asked me if i was comfortable wasting the NHS's money. On the day of the Endoscopy i had very bad vertigo and rang to cancel, i left a message then was telephoned back by a nurse who told me the specialist who told them to tell me when my symptoms returned to book another appointment, i asked them what they meant as it was a constant chronic condition and i had cancelled it as i was too dizzy to attend, the nurse said shthey were passing on a message then as i was talking to them about rearranging the appointment they hung up. Am still waiting for a follow up appointment which was already cancelled twice with the consultant which I doubt is coming, and I'm still waiting for appointment to see a Dietician or the other specialist because this rather rude consultant seems to think I have an eating disorder. Is it even worth making a formal complaint because i doubt very much it will make much difference when people behave as if they are a law unto themselves. I've lost another stone and am unable to eat solid food or keep down most liquid now, my GP is doing the best they can. God Bless the NHS.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 14 March 2015

Anonymous gave Cossham Hospital a rating of 4 stars

What a fantastic service for X-rays - just turn up and get them done quickly &..

What a fantastic service for X-rays - just turn up and get them done quickly & with no fuss.

Fantastic staff as well - all very cheerful and friendly.

The only thing which lets Cossham down is the postal service. I accept that Velopost might be cheaper and "greener" than Royal Mail. However, when you're in pain and waiting for x-ray results to tell you what is wrong, then a 9 day delivery timescale for a letter calling you back in for more x-rays is unacceptable.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 03 December 2014