Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Shaun gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Skylink driver (Trent Barton buses)

On arriving at A&E after been dropped off by a work colleague at around 04.30 on the morning of the 13th July 2014 with a hand injury. Soon as I walked in I was greeted by the polite and very attentive staff, even though they were clearly busy with the Saturday night crowd. I was seen quickly and taken into x ray. On my way it was easy to see how much pressure, our medical staff are under, because the waiting room was full, and every treatment bay was full. And I must admit, I was completely taken back by how quickly I went through the process. During each step through the procedure, I felt well informed and comfortable, because of that. It clearly inspired me to find this site and write in, and I never do anything like this. It is so clear to me, that we have the best NHS staff. They are so good at what they do, and most of the time they work under difficult conditions. Our staff are the best in the world. I think some people give the staff a hard time and they don't deserve that. So what I would like so say to everyone who works for the NHS, in every department throughout QMC . Security, cleaners, reception staff, doctors, nurses, surgeons. Etc the list goes on. A Great big thank you.. You are what makes this country great. I love you all.. And a massive thank you to all A&E staff, the Sunday 13th July 2014.. X-Ray nurse. The nurse that made me a cup of Tea ;). The nurse that brought everybody tea/coffee in the waiting room. The nurse that strapped up my hand. The physiotherapy staff. All staff and doctors in the fracture clinic on Wednesday morning on the 23rd July 2014. Well done. You got me writing in because I was very impressed with your professionalism. Thank again.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Gareth gave Diabetic Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Discharge Procedure

My elderly father has incurable cancer. He also has problems with speech and swallowing.
He was due to be discharged on Mon 14 July, on the 'Fast Track' procedure. He was informed that the discharge would be as early in the day as possible.
However, I was given varying explanations why the discharge was delayed, eventually being told that an Ambulance would be available at 9 PM. This was clearly unsuitable for an elderly patient.
Eventually he arrived home at 2 PM the following day.
Although I have no complaint whatsoever at the treatment he received during his stay in hospital, I was extremely disturbed by the delays in allowing him to return home.
Although it is too late to act in my own situation, I would like some kind of assurance that this will not occur in other, similar cases.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you were satisfied with the treatment your father received while in hospital, but we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy about his discharge being delayed. We will be looking into anything which may have caused such a delay, to avoid similar delays in future, and will liaise with our colleagues in the East Midlands Ambulance Service on this matter.

Natalie Sharpe gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Attentive proactive approach & care

Following an accident I came into A&E on Sunday 8th June in severe pain with my ribs and breathing. Despite a 3 hour wait time the receptionist was caring and proactive enough to notice my agony and get me to see a nurse immediately for pain-relief. They sped me through to an X-ray and to see a doctor within 50 minutes to help me out of my suffering. Despite the unbelievable pressure the A&E team are under it is such a relief to know that they are still caring and proactive enough to prioritise cases to reduce pain and suffering and act quickly enough when necessary no matter how overwhelmed. I am in awe at the dedicated staff at QMC and despite worries like most of you about the ability of one of the busiest A&E depts in Europe to cope, its reassuring to know that the team proficiently deal with emergencies as best they can. Diagnosed broken ribs later I can only say thank you A&E team and keep up the great work - keep caring and lets pray things improve to allow the increased space and staffing you need to function to the quality levels you all strive for.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We pleased to hear about your positive experience the care of our Emergency Department (ED). We are glad you felt you were treated with efficiency and compassion and we will pass on your kind words to colleagues in the ED, they will appreciate them. We hope you are recovering well from your accident now.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members and it only takes a few minutes. The Acute Medicine category is most relevant to your comments and you can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028.

Caz Linnett reviewed Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My experience of a subarachnoid haemorrhage 19/7/2014

I arrived by ambulance and was quickly placed on D10 the nurses got me settled and stockinged and correctly inserted the catheter which made me more comfortable. I had received a scan and a spinal tap from the LRI. Because of previous metalwork in my head the scan was inconclusive, and so too was the spinal tap. The plan at that time was to establish exactly the cause of my pain and sickness. I was sent for a contrast CT where two aneurysms were discovered. I was then very quickly sent for contrast angiography, both of the aneurysms were repaired although this had proved very challenging to the expert hands of the surgeon as my right carotid artery is totally occluded, despite this extreme difficulty the surgeon managed to occlude both aneurysms. The nurse assigned to care for me during the night was a male nurse (my first experience of being cared for by a male nurse). The standard drug to prevent vaso spasms is called nimrodopine, the normal dose 2 every 4 hours was given to me, unfortunately it did not agree with me, my blood pressure crashed. The poor nurse worked really hard throughout the night to increase the pressure to an adequate level. At one point he told me it was his goal to get the systolic pressure to 100 before the end of his shift. At one point I looked up and saw 2pouches of fluid hooked up to me, I mentioned this as he may not have realised and he explained this was how he could elevate the blood pressure. That man worked tirelessly throughout the night and at the end of his shift had managed to elevate the pressure to 99. If I had had £30000000.00 in the bank to spend on nursing care I could not have had a better nurse than him, he was magnificent. He was on NSPU ward, I was so lucky to have him. I hope he received my thank you card. I was then transferred to a side room on D11 it had a door which was open onto a balcony the breeze was wonderful. Once again the nursing staff on this ward were amazing. Because of the problem with this drug and me the administered this drug 1tablet every 2hours around the clock and were extremely diligent in their task they cared for me so well. I then went to D10 in a side room until I came home. I have to say my experience was; I was treated with kindness and extreme care throughout. The surgeon who repaired me was incredible as too were the nurses who cared for me. Thank you very much QMC.
I would like to also add that after I went home I received a call from the neurosurgical nurse to ensure I was managing ok and to see if I had any questions. Once again I would Luke to thank the male nurse. Many thanks Caz

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 July 2014

Thanks taking the time to get in touch and for sharing you experience Caz. I am sure our colleagues on NSPU, D10, D11 and surgery will be grateful to receive your feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you felt you were treated with kindness and extreme care during your stay with us. We hope you are making a good recovery at home.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are now open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members for an award. The Musculoskeletal and Neurosciences category is most relevant to the comments you have posted. You can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028. It takes just a few minutes to do so.

Char gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Head injury

I had to visit a and e today due to a forehead wound. parking terrible but care fantastic! I was there 4 hours but went away pleased with my treatment and care. I have been a few times with my son too, the care and attention has always been 100%!
I do feel it could be cleaner but the footfall is so high constantly they can't achieve everything. Nothing or nobody is perfect!
Praise to all in a and e you do a brilliant job and it must be very challenging at times! :)

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you have experienced outstanding care whenever you have been to our Emergency Department. We will pass your praise on to our colleagues in the department. We know from the feedback we receive that parking at QMC is difficult presently, compounded by the tram works being completed on site. It is concerning to hear your concerns about cleanliness of the department. We will pass on this feedback to our colleagues who manage this service so that we can endeavour to make improvements to the environment in this area.

Sally gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Crippling Car Parking

My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with a malignant brian tumour for which we now have to go to the hospital every other week for chemotherpay for anywhere between 1 day and 7 days (and that doesn't include any emergency visits if he gets a temperature and infection). The nursing staff including doctors and play specialists that we deal with have been great with all of us, my main bug bear is parking; firstly it costs a fortune and secondly half the time you can't find a space. I can't use public transport if I am coming in with my son as we have to bring bags of stuff with him and if he is too tired to walk he also needs carrying, if I can't find a parking space in car park 1 then it is very difficult for me to get to the East Block. Half the time you find the car park filled with staff or contractor vehicles, I know they also need to park somewhere but surely other arrangements could be made for them? We have been getting a parking pass for £20 a month but when we are going to be in and out for over a year that starts to get expensive at a time you really can't afford it. Does the Macmillan campaign for free parking for cancer patients mean nothing to you? Surely you can see that you are penalising people for having ongoing life saving treatment where there is no other choice? The time we are going through at the moment is stressful enough without worrying about parking charges and if you can find a space. I was told that there were meant to be some spaces (about 5) just outside East Block that were free for cancer patients but no one that we have spoken to seems to know about it. Apparently you can park in front of the barrier then go up to the ward to get a pass to raise the barrier - 1) what do I do with my son during this time? Take him up and back down with me? 2) How do I get said pass when no one seems to know about it? 3) Can we not get a pass to keep in the car to be able to use this car park as we get there?

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 08 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience.

We are sorry to hear that you have been having problems with parking at our hospital, especially during what must be a difficult time for you.

We apologise profusely that it appears we have not properly communicated our policy of providing free parking for this group of patients, and importantly, how to access this. Please get in touch with us by emailing nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk or calling 0115 9249924 x 62001 and we will make arrangements for you to get a free parking pass for car parks 1, 2 and 3 (our main patient and visitor car parks at QMC). We will ensure it is available for you on your next visit to QMC and will arrange for you collect this from main reception (we will arrange for you to park at main entrance in order to do so).

We have asked for a message to be sent out our wards and departments to remind colleagues to inform patients, parents and carers how to access free parking if they think this applies to their individual situation.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by building and improvement works around the QMC site presently. We are working hard with the site contractors to minimise disruption to patients, visitors, carers and staff.

The five barrier-controlled parking spaces on the perimeter road outside East Block entrance have been set up for use by frequently-visiting patients (those attending more than twice a week on either a short or long-term basis).

These spaces are generally used for children being treated for long term, chronic conditions, who may need to attend on a regular basis for short term treatments ( such as Chemotherapy) or long term therapies, to help make access to the hospital during these periods as convenient as possible for them. Patients are given a card to enable them to park here, but you do not need to go up to the clinic to collect your parking card on every visit. Patients using these spaces are able to park in them in agreed time slots which are worked out to match with your appointment times – this is to make sure the maximum possible number of patients are able to make use of them.

Please ask at the next appointment you are attending with your son about being able to use these spaces when you are coming to hospital and we will discuss this with you in more detail.

Kevin D'Mello gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

car parks

ongoing car park problems

I put a comment on 28 1 14 about the parking at QMC for visitors and patients. The pay machine which was broken 4 months ago is still broken ( maybe broken again). Still no signage up as to where else top pay. Patients and visitors wander around hoping someone will advise them.
Ongoing shameful treatment of patients and visitors by the management of the hospital / car park providers .
As yet- no response to my previous comments- so probably they really are smugly collecting the money with few qualms.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 04 June 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 June 2014
Thank you for your message. We are sorry to hear that you and other patients and visitors are unhappy with the situation around one of the pay and display machines in Car Park 3 being out of order.

We are working promptly to repair or replace the out-of-order pay and display machine. In the meantime please continue to use the other pay and display machines in Car Park 3.

Signs were placed on the out of order machine advising patients and visitors where the working pay and display machines in Car Park 3 can be found, however we accept that these may now be missing or may be unclear, and we apologise for any confusion caused. The car parking team will be checking the signs and will replace any missing signs and make sure that any signs which are there are clear in their information as to where the other pay and display machines are located.

my reply

It does seem a nonsense that you are making a large amount of money from the car park, that you cannot replace the faulty machine. There is need for better signage as well – as the machine around the corner is not visible to anyone at the faulty machine and there is no obvious sign as in most car parks- a big yellow arrow stating “please pay here”.
Regards
Kevin D’Mello

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 30 June 2014

Keri Hawthorn gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

The failing NHS

I was admitted to A&E 24-05-14 with food poisoning. After seeing a Dr I was placed on the LJ unit on A floor to be told I would have to stay in due to dehydration. A canular was fitted with a drip connected. At this point no wrist band was put on my arm. I called a nurse to state that the canular was leaking from my wrist, to be told that I was sweating !! It then tissued.The canular was removed and re-done. The following day I called the nurse again to say the drip wasn't,t going into my arm. I was told it was. How-ever a couple of hours later I had excruciating pain. A Dr was called and my kidneys were failing due to dehydration. I was given Oromorph to relieve the pain. The nurse went to check my wrist and said, and I quote " you haven,t got a wrist band ". She still administered the Oromorph. I was then put on a slow release drip which would last for 8 hours. I fetched the nurse after 6 hours to state the drip should be nearly finished. It was blocked and no solution was going into my body. My kidneys were only working 56 percent. I was told to try to start eating, the dinner lady came to ask what I,d like to eat. Anything as long as it,s vegetarian I asked, to be told they only had meat dishes left. I didn,t eat. After 2 days of being in the QMC I asked who was responsible for cleaning the bathroom in my room. I was concerned about this as there was 2 days build up of dirty bed linen, pyjamas and towels. The bin was over flowing with dirty pads that I had to wear and also bed pads. I won,t go into detail but I was continually being sick along with diarrhoea. I,m sure you can imagine the smell. Not only that but the risk of infection to other patients was extremely high. My stay was absolutely disgusting and if ever I have to go into hospital again I will refuse admission. I am well within my rights to do so.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 04 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry that on this occasion it was not a pleasant one for you, but we appreciate you letting us know where things did not go so well, so we can see where we need to improve. We will share your comment with our colleagues and management of the Lyn Jarrett Unit (LJU), so that all of us can learn from the difficulties you describe and we can ensure that the experiences of future patients are much better.

Amanda Jackson gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

cleanliness and safety

I feel very strongly about the lack of cleanliness on the ward that I unfortunately stayed on. I was too scared to sleep one night because one of the patients (who did have special needs) had been wandering around the ward and became very agitated. She had a stoma which she pulled off her and dripped faeces everywhere. This was just wiped up with tissue and left so you could see where it had dripped. The toilets weren't cleaned the whole 3 days that I was there either. I was disgusted with the cleanliness of this hospital and hopefully I will never have to stay here again! The nursing care was excellent and I have no complaints at all about the quality of care but they were over stretched. The incident relating to the lady with the stoma had 4 nursing staff, a doctor and her own 2 daughters and they still didn't control the situation enough for all the other patients to feel safe. That really isn't their job and she should have either been in a ward that helped her other issues as well or she should have had her own carer with her. When I actually left the hospital I was given just paracetamol for the pain and had to go to my G.P the next day for more antibiotics and stronger pain killers because I still had an infection. I wasn't happy with my stay at all!

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 13 June 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 June 2014

We are very sorry to hear that this was your experience of our hospital and the incident you describe involving another patient on your ward. We would like to know more about this incident, particularly which of our wards it was that this happened on. Please get in touch with us by email to nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk if you would like to talk further to us. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Poor service in outpatients at City Hospital

Was with my mum and dad attending Clinic 2 at City Hospital yesterday afternoon. Was requested by I presume the staff nurse that all friends and relatives had to sit outside the clinic and only patients could sit in the clinic due to space issues. This caused distress for my mum as she was waiting on her own for nearly an hour waiting to see if the surgeon can remove her cancer, nervous time as u can imagine. Not helped by this splitting up of relatives until u r called in consultating room. No issue with care or medical team but issue with how this made us feel as a family, couldn't support my mum when she needed it most!! As relatives we felt in the way and asked to stand in corridor!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 12 June 2014