Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

ENT Clinic

I have visited the ENT Clinic several times. Just wanted to comment on my experience of the Aural Care Centre.
I have found the nursing staff to be very caring, understanding & professional.Their 'expert' attention has been very much appreciated on each occasion. Thank you!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 02 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 August 2015

Thank you. It’s great to hear you found our nursing staff to be so caring and professional. I will share your comments with the team involved in your care.

Thanks again,
Hannah Docherty.
Matron, Head and Neck.

KD gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

3 night stay Ward 31 for appendicitis

I was rushed into hospital with appendicitis and was assesed quickly and given my own room. I was still nursing my son so all the staff went out of their way to get me a breast pump so I could send milk home for my son. My room was clean and the ward was quiet and respectful of other patients. All the nursing staff were brilliant and attentive and I felt well looked after. I had surgery to remove my appendix and all the theatre staff were friendly and very clear with everything they were going to do during surgery. My whole experience was excellent at a time that was very stressful and I am very grateful for the level of care I recieved.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 08 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us, most especially in light of the other demands on your time!

Your comments show how important every element of care is to the overall experience of our patients. I will pass your feedback to the team on the Ward, who I know will be pleased to see what you have written about your experience.

Katherine Rooke.
Ward manager, C31.

Jan gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Labour suite

My daughter, Natalie, had emergency caesarian at 33 weeks. Over the two days the care from the whole team was excellent. The surgeon and their whole team made a worrying & stressful situation a beautiful experience in the OR. My grateful thanks to everyone involved. Darling Marley is doing well.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 14 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 17 August 2015

Hello, thank you for getting in touch with us and sharing your daughter’s story. I am delighted to about the excellent care she and your grandson received, and I am glad to hear that Marley is doing well. I will pass your lovely comments on to everyone in the team. My best wishes to you all.
Ali Atkinson,
Clinical Lead, Family Health (Maternity)

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Spinal clinic consultation

The Dr who saw me was not the person I'd been told by reception that I'd see. The consultation took place in an examination room with a nurse in attendance. The nurse fell asleep in the chair during the consultation. The dr had no notes with them and thought I'd previously suffered two small strokes. I have never had any kind of stroke.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 18 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 August 2015

Thank you for your message. I’m deeply concerned to read the details of your recent appointment. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly to discuss further so that I can get some additional details and follow-up your concerns. You can contact me on sarah.moppett@nuh.nhs.uk or 0115 9249924 ext. 63738.

Sarah
Sarah Moppett, Clinical Lead (Head Nurse) for Musculo-Skeletal and Neurosciences Directorate (MSKN)

JulieM reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My 4 year old son recently had a Tonsillectomy. He was admitted to the...

My 4 year old son recently had a Tonsillectomy. He was admitted to the ambulatory ward at QMC and the care we received from the ward/team was faultless throughout. We were welcomed, reassured and looked after from the moment we entered, my son immediately put at ease by the skills of an obviously very dedicated, compassionate, skilled & creative MDT.
We, as parents were put at ease by the regular, efficient and knowledgable communication delivered to us throughout the procedure and post operatively including clear direction for care/treatment following discharge.
We would especially give enormous and well deserved thanks & praise to Hannah (student nurse) who displayed the upmost professionalism, care, compassion, and knowledge beyond expectation and training level - we have no doubt that she will become a thoroughly integral part of a team on registration and if any of my children require care in the future Hannah (& the paediatric ambulatory team) has certainly set the standard of our expectation.
Keep doing what you do so clearly very well and Thank You!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 19 August 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 August 2015

Thank you for such lovely comments. It’s great to hear that your son was so well looked after and that you felt you were kept well-informed at every stage of his treatment and stay with us. I hope you son is recovering well.

I’ve shared your feedback with the team, including Hannah.

Jane Brookes.
Ward manager, Ambulatory Care Unit.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Grateful for all the help and expertise

I arrived at A&E on 12th December 2014 and remained in an orthopaedic ward for 3 weeks. I continue to attend the Fracture Clinic regularly. I have found all of the staff to be very helpful as well s professional and the vast majority have been friendly even though they are often clearly very busy. I am extremely grateful for the care and expertise I have received. Thank you!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 21 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 24 August 2015

Thanks so much. It’s great to read how helpful and professional our staff have been throughout your treatment. I’ve passed on your comments to the team.

Caroline Wise.
Matron, MSKN.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

waited over 2 months for nothing

Was with the neurologist about 10 mins only asked about the absences not the rest of symptoms sending me for a eeg but discharging me as it will probably negative. Said maybe I should be checked for an anxiety disorder! This is despite me being treated at Sheffield pots clinic for autonomic dysfunction (the symptoms can look similar to an anxiety disorder)incidentally I'd seen a psychiatrist who confirmed I don't have a mood or anxiety disorder. and Sheffield stating that my tilt test was anything but normal they also thought the absences were actually a lack of oxygen caused by my blood pressure dropping to much and issued a prescription for steroids which my gp has finally given me (they admitted to being sceptical about cfs and dysautoma. If you have autonomic dysfunction don't bother going to qmc try and get a referral to Sheffield for the first time in months I don't have constant fatigue after taking fludcortisone.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 19 August 2015

I’m sorry that you were dissatisfied with your experience of NUH. It might be helpful if I could talk to you directly to discuss your concerns. If you wish to do so, might you get in touch with me on sarah.moppett@nuh.nhs.uk or 0115 9249924 ext. 63738 and we can talk through.

Sarah Moppett.
Clinical lead, MSKN.

spondon bongles gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

excellent experience from start to finish

Was referred to qmc for my son who was diagnosed with a spinal tumour. Our consultant was very clear about what they were going to do, and we got a surgery date two weeks from first consultation. When we had the op everybody involved were totally professional and caring. The ward we went to post op (E40) was clean and looked like it had been recently decorated. All of the nurses were really caring and looked after my son well, and overall made a traumatic experience that much easier.
Food was great.
I would recommend this hospital.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 05 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 06 August 2015

We are grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch with us to share your experience of your son’s care.

Thanks to generous donations from the Nottingham Hospitals Charity and the Teenage Cancer Trust we are very fortunate to have the best environment in which to care for our young patients, including on E40 where your son was staying after his operation. I’ll pass your feedback to the various teams involved in your son’s care.

Janet Hagan.
Ward manager, E40.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Advice from the allergy nurse

We were recently contacted by the allergy nurse at Queens following skin prick testing for our son. The nurse provided me with some valuable information regarding the nature of allergies vs intolerance, likely prognosis and information about how we can manage his allergies and help him overcome them at home.
The nurse also explained in detail the process of the skin prick testing and what the results actually mean.
This information has not been provided in the same level of detail from other services. The nurse was also able to give me information about my other's sons allergies, for which we have had had no advice from services.
The fact that the nurse was so easy to contact, the timely nature of the contact, the detail of the conversation and the opportunity to ask questions in person were the things that made the experience so positive for me and our family. The advice has had a big impact on how we will manage their allergies at home.
Thank you.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 28 July 2015

Hello. Thank you for the lovely feedback. It’s great to know you have been kept well informed and I am glad to hear what a difference our care has made to you and your son. I have shared your feedback with the team involved.

Bev Brady.
Matron, Respiratory Medicine.

Fed up gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

You're no more than a number!

I have been waiting months for an implant trial. I was told it would happen in July. Halfway through July I call the co ordinator as I'd heard absolutely nothing. I ask when it's going to be as my daughter is in the Royal Navy and has to take special leave to look after my other children whilst I'm in hospital. I'm told it's 18th August instead but no one bothered to tell me! However That was ok as my daughter was able to get the special leave granted. The last working day before the pre op I'm called to tell me it's been cancelled as they didn't realise one of the staff was on holiday but it's ok it's now 14th October! No it's not ok as I've explained several times before! Amazing they just managed to realise in time before I had my pre op! I'm sure anyone with a single brain cell can work out in a nanosecond this was a huge lie.
When I first attended, I told the staff and it was written down that my daughter will be away for 9 months from October. They said they would book the trial and the permanent before October. When I called them in July, I told them this again. But actually what's the point in bothering at all? No one listens because you're just a number on a conveyor belt to them. They don't rightly care who's looking after your children one of which is disabled while I'm away. Do I leave them home alone? No because any decent mother would never do that so yet again it's down to putting my children first because of hospital staff who couldn't care less about anyone.
I'm not stupid, I was a registered Nurse for 25 years. I know the score that those that shout loudest get shoved up the list and everyone else gets shoved off regardless of the difficulties it's making to them. No one books surgery without first checking the staff are actually on duty. Do you really expect me to believe that?
My line manager has offered to take a week off work to look after my children! Except he'll book that and then it'll be cancelled again to cater for those shouting loudest so what's the point in accepting? It's pretty bad that my line manager cares for my children's welfare more than hospital staff?
I'm also writing to the chief executive. 25 years working for the NHS, injured on duty, never claimed a penny and now treated like this by the very organisation I worked for. Disgraceful.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 August 2015

I am saddened to read your experience and apologise profusely for what has occurred and disruption and inconvenience caused. I’d like to talk to you about your experience directly so that I can provide you with the answers you deserve and ensure we can, I hope, agree a way forward. If you wish me to take this further, please do get in touch on 0115 9249925 Ext 64217 or email sarah.moppett@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Moppett.