Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone Service.

I have never visited the hospital but do you never answer your phone been on hold so long you have cut me off three times , and thats just switchboard .

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 12 September 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

food

the food is appalling over cooked tasteless inedible it is the worst food ive ever tried to eat
so im having to have it brought in .

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Jonathan gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

No consideration of time.

My first appointment went fairly well, although I had to wait 45 minutes to get in to see the Doctor. The Doctor asked me to rebook for 3 weeks time, however nothing was available for 5 weeks.

Upon my second appointment I arrived to find out my appointment had been reschedules with no contact being made to let me know.

My third appointment ended with me getting some medication from the Pharmacy. After a 35 minute wait I was informed my medicine was not in stock and that it would be delivered to my house.

I received a phone call to arrange a date to be home to sign for my meds with them being a steroid. I booked a day off annual leave to be at home to take collection of my meds. No one arrived. When I rang the Pharmacy the postage of my medication had been missed and no one had called to tell me.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 September 2014

Laura gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

As always - good service!

My daughter is having her alveolar bone graft op next week. We came in today for the pre-op assessment. We live in Sheffield and although it's stressful to negotiate getting to appointments on time, the cleft team have always have accommodating and have been nothing but kind to us.
They are super efficient! And they've managed to arrange my daughters op in school holiday time which is a big relief.
Thank you.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share details of your daughter’s positive experience in our care. It’s pleasing to hear that you experienced such kindness and efficiency from our colleagues. We will share your appreciation of their hard work with the team.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members and it only takes a few minutes. The Head and Neck category is most relevant to your comments and you can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028.

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

A Comedy Show

My friend is writing on my behalf due to my partial sight, I saw the consultant last on 28th Aug. 2014 and during my appointment he was friendly, a laugh and a joke.

After I had my test done and when he called me back in the consultation room and tested my eyes and I asked him " do you know what is causing my vision to be blurred and whats affecting my fields" he sat there quitely and after he finished writing my report I told him in the past I suffered from glaucoma.

He said you do not have glaucoma, I dont know what is going on I have not seen the report which made me laugh, when I asked him other things about my vision he said ok, ok thankyou thankyou, very nice ok thankyou I have referred you for a goldmanns test see you in 3 months. He was pretty rude during second half of my consultation I don't know what was going on in his head.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

CEO gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Ward E15

My husband was admitted to QMC on 30th August. Majority of staff we encountered were lovely, however they were often rushed off their feet & unable to provide the level of care which I’m sure they would have wanted. Dr at NEMS diagnosed possible kidney stones & NEMS Ambulance took us short journey to QMC & ward B3. On arrival no beds available & so we sat in waiting area for almost 2 hours. No medical staff came to check on us & husband in such agony that I actually asked if there was somewhere he could lie down on the floor! Once allocated a bed my husband given anti-biotics (for urine infection) & anti-sickness via IV & morphine orally (for pain). Didn't see another doctor again re pain for 36 hours! On Sunday moved to E15 & discovered his blood pressure had dropped significantly. He was given saline via IV to rehydrate him, but no drinking water for over 12 hours! Surely a basic need? Blood pressure hardly monitored during Sunday – staff seemed uninterested. Night staff then very concerned to find his blood pressure low. I am very concerned that the day-time nurse didn’t check this, even when asked. On Monday the nurse was very caring & professional. However elsewhere there were issues easily avoided but which compounded patient suffering:
No record from B3 of the anti-biotics my husband received on 30th August.
Nurse stripped patients beds but then found no clean linen. Patients had to sit for several hours waiting for fresh linen. My husband felt so wretched he simply lay on a bare mattress! Perhaps check fresh linen available before beds stripped?
Evening meal – no spoons so patient given a fork to eat soup! By Tuesday still no spoons & patients given forks to eat ice-cream!
A cancer patient required scan & so on Mon ‘nil by mouth’. By lunch-time on Tues (& now absolutely starving) & still awaiting scan, he had 2 mouthfuls of lunch & porter arrived to take him for the evasive scan. Couldn’t now have scan as he had eaten!
Monday pm porter took my husband for CT scan, but took him to Ultra-sound scan dept. Not until my husband had removed his top & been smothered with lubricant that the staff realised he was in the wrong place! Porter then took him to CT Scan dept area but as busy, my husband left outside in the corridor in a wheelchair alone & not having any idea of his whereabouts within the hospital. A 94 year patient was then left with him. Leaving very sick patients alone in a corridor is simply dangerous & wholly unacceptable.
On Tues my husband discharged as CT scan & x-ray ‘clear’ & pain diagnosed as muscular & told no more treatment required.

By Friday & still in significant pain, my husband visited his GP. From CT Scan notes GP spotted it quite clearly noted sigmoid diverticulosis & she diagnosed diverticulitis was quite likely the cause of his continuing pain. A course of anti-biotics have been prescribed & we are hopeful that his symptoms will now ease

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Poor end to A&E visit

After an initial good treatment in A&E trauma unit and stablising the transfer to area 3 was to say the least very poor. Off hand doctor not listening to symtoms. Then told by a junior nurse
that you are to be discharged and to get dressed and leave without any explanation. When questioned to be told "youve already seen the doctor" when this was totally untrue. The return
of doctor brought more off hand answers.

Grounds around A&E filthy , including vomit and the worst a swob completely contaminated with blood.
The bad bad side of the NHS

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 26 August 2014

We aim to provide excellent standards of care for our patients regardless of where they are seen in the department. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the care that you received once you had been transferred to area 3. It is difficult for us to look into this for you without knowing more about your individual case. We would wish to do so to ensure we can make improvements for future patients. If you would like to speak to me directly so that we can investigate further and provide you with a more full explanation, please contact Lucy Thow, our nurse in charge, on 0115 924 9924 ext 64129.

Due to the nature of our department, we do have to identify more stable patients that can be transferred to different areas to ensure there is capacity in the emergency (resuscitation) room to accept more unstable patients (those with life threatening illnesses and illnesses).

We do have a schedule for the grounds around the department to be cleaned, as we provide a 24/7 service to patients. We encourage patients and members of the public to report any concerns at the time to our Emergency Department staff so that they can arrange for any the area to be cleaned of any bodily fluids and clinical waste immediately.

Car Parking

Car parking awful. If going to fracture clinic, by definition with broken bits, you have to walk from one side of hospital ( car park 3) to to the other. Can never get into car park one.
Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback and helpful suggestion. We do appreciate that car parking is particularly problematic at the busiest times at QMC and are working to find solutions. We are investing in a new multi-storey car park at QMC which will further increase car parking spaces on site next year and of course the arrival of the tram early 2015 will improve access to the hospital for everyone – patients, visitors and staff. We also encourage those who are able to use our free shuttle bus service (called the Medilink) to get to our hospital.

Car Parking

Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor level of service

I was referred to ward C32 as an emergency by my GP with a ovarian cyst which was scanned on 6th August ast 10.5cm by 7.5cm. The service was poor, the liaison between staff was uncoordinated and the communication between staff on the team was equally poor, with none of them knowing what colleagues had already attended to during my visit. I was in extreme pain, with escalating symptoms and was treated as through I was making the symptoms up and didn't feel as I was taken seriously at all. As my GP had not previouly take blood samples these were take but were used as an excuse not to progress any treatment and I was left wiaitng for over an hour for an appointment for me to be made for a further scan and to see a consultant after my blood tests are back. I left without an appointment being told that they would fax the Treatment Centre with my details with a an appt wthin 2 to 3 weeks which was not what the Dr who had seen me had stated - the doctor had stated that the appointment would be after 3 days when the blood tests were back. I am still in agony and trying to stay at work, the pain is getting worse and I can no longer do my trousers up and as such believe that the cyst is continuing to enlarge as the symptoms continue to get worse.

The ward and staff were scruffy and there was no professionalism amongst them - many of them seemed to stand around doing nothing and nothing was explained to me in terms of the process or order events that would take place. The first nurse I saw did advise me that I would not be left to go home in the pain that I was in but this was not true or accurate. In short I feel that it was appaling.

Having spoken to the Treatment Centre Gynacology unit today I have been advised that this is how many patients feel after being dealt with on ward C32 - they said they would do their very best to get me in as clearly there was a risk that the cyst could burst if it is contining to grow and cause problems - Ward C32 advised me if the pain increased or any bleefing occured to go to A&E - this does not feel appropriate in terms of patient care and preventing what my GP was trying to do i.e. manage the issue in a controlled way without an admission to A&E.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 September 2014

We are saddened to learn of your recent poor experience on Ward C32. Regrettably, as we do not have your details we cannot provide a full response to your case, however we can of course respond in respect of our overall service provision. We apologise that you felt communication between staff was poor. Staff always check what has been undertaken by other colleagues along with your understanding of your care. It appears that you felt this checking meant that staff appeared unclear, which is unfortunate. Uniform audits are regularly undertaken on the ward. We have had no specific issues identified in relation to the way in which staff adhere to our Trust uniform policy. It is concerning to read that you felt staff were standing around doing nothing. C32 is an extremely busy emergency admissions ward and it is rare for staff not to be busy. We absolutely accept that there are environmental issues on the ward, which presents challenges for us. I would like to assure you we have plans to address these to make improvements. C32 is in the process of relocating to Ward A23 in November this year. A23 is currently being refurbished so that we can ensure it meet the needs of our patients/staff and service. With regards to your appointment at the Treatment Centre, our processes are clear in as much as all referrals are faxed with urgent referrals being telephoned prior to faxing. If you wish to discuss the details of your specific case then please contact me directly at Benita.brear@nuh.nhs.uk

Benita Brear