Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

DerbyNHSFan reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

QMC Hospital Nottingham Eye casualty

I recently attended eye casualty after a referral from 111
I just wish to thank all staff for the welcoming reception point, the triage nurse and the nurse practitioner who in their own ways were all professional and caring.
They all expressed concern at the potential delay in being seen but in fact I was in and out within an hour and a half at a very busy time
Thank you for handling the care in such a brilliant way. If only NHS senior managers, the media and politicians could see the positive side of the NHS and praise rather than criticise those at the sharp end then perhaps morale might be better
Well done all.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 02 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 05 September 2016

Thank you for writing in and for sharing that you thought our Eye Casualty staff to be professional and caring. I’ve shared your message with the team, who send their thanks and best wishes.

Ella Bowers,
Manager, Eye Casualty

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor

Very poor. No patient dignity or respect. Queens could learn something from city hospital

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 05 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 06 September 2016

I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t had the experience we would wish you to have in our care. I would welcome a conversation with you to find out what happened so we can, where necessary, learn from this and make improvements in future. If you’d like to discuss your concerns with me, you can contact me at andrew.steggles@nuh.nhs.uk or on 0115 924 9924 ext 65063.

Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer

Rebecca Kirk gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Out of hours visit

We were referred to the out of hours service by Kings Mill Hospital after a fish bone became embedded in my daughters tonsil .we were very disappointed with the Doctor we saw at kings Mill however the care and attention we received from the staff at QMC was excellent in particular the Doctor who was clearly very busy but was reassuring and managed to remove it . As a former Ward Sister myself I was very impressed by everything I saw on Ward C25 .

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 12 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 September 2016

I appreciate the time you have taken to get in touch with us to share details of your experience. I’ve shared your feedback with our staff. Should you wish to discuss any concerns regarding your care at King’s Mill (which is run by Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust), you can contact their Patient Experience Team directly on PET@sfh-tr.nhs.uk.

Sue Mazengarb.
Ward Manager, C25.

SamC101 gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic stay

I am lying in a hospital bed post surgery and what else can I say but fantastic; from the consultants to the domestic staff, they have all be kind, caring, attentive and friendly. Previous to my surgery I was terrified due to a past surgery where I suffered a complication, this was in a private hospital. I have been reassured time and again that they would do everything within their power to not repeat what happened to me, and they were proved right, and I am fine. The bed is comfortable and the meals are great, I really don't know what people moan about! I realise that this is not a hotel, I am under no illusion that the staff have hardly a moment to breath let alone have a drink in a hospital that they are trying to keep cool in 30 degree heat; yet they still continue working with a smile and a friendly disposition. Well done QMC and the staff on ward C25, surgical/anaesthetics/ ENT you are a credit to the NHS!.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 September 2016

What great feedback! Thank you so much for posting this while you are still in hospital with us. I’m glad to hear that you felt well looked after. I’ve shared your kind words with the C25 team. We hope you continue to recover well and will be able to go home soon.

Sue Mazengarb
Ward Manager, C25

Paul gave Vascular surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

My Emergency Right Carotid Endarterectomy

My name is Paul and I'm a 60 year old male with a recent history of TIA's (mini strokes). After treatment for the TIA's and after numerous scans/tests it was advised that to reduce the risk of further TIA's or strokes it would be advisable to have surgery on my right carotid artery to improve the blood flow to my brain (my carotid arteries being quite badly "narrowed" by, shall we say, bad lifestyle habits i.e. smoking and other things). On Friday 16th September 2016 I was admitted to the QMC at 7.30am for an Emergency Right Carotid Endarterectomy. Went to the theatre mid afternoon for the operation which lasted about 2 hours with another 2 hours in Recovery. All went well and after an overnight stay I was discharged on the Saturday afternoon. Apart from the fact that there were long periods of boredom which was expected (I took a good book) and the fact that I was fully conscious during my operation (to better monitor me for any problems like stroke or brain function problems) I have nothing but praise for all QMC staff, medical and others who were responsible for my care. Whereas I won't comment on whether I would recommend the procedure I had I would wholeheartedly recommend the hospital and the care one would receive if they ever had to go to the QMC for treatment.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 18 September 2016

Hi Paul. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other patients and for giving QMC the ‘thumbs up.’ I have shared your feedback with the staff who were involved in your care and treatment. We wish you well in your recovery.

Rekhaben Patel
Matron, Vascular Surgery

KSF reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Fantastic doctor

I visited my aunt on Ward C52 in QMC last week, and felt compelled to write something about the attitude of a doctor who was on the ward. I think the doctor is the consultant/specialist. Everyone seemed to want something from the doctor, and the doctor was very patient with all of them. I was fascinated by the doctor because the doctor was rushing from one end of the ward to the other, and looked like the doctor was juggling several tasks simultaneously. I saw the doctor greeting the patients as they walked past, and on a few occasions the doctor even stopped to offer the patients water. The lady in the next bed to my aunt was quite unwell and was struggling to hold the beaker. The doctor held the beaker for her, kept encouraging the poor lady to drink. To me, the doctor gave me the impression that they genuinely cares about their patients. I had visited many family members and friends in hospitals over the years, but have never seen any Drs doing so. It was such a delight to watch him!
If all doctors are like this person, then I believe the future of NHS is safe.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 27 September 2016

It is refreshing to read your account of how the doctor cared for your aunt and other patients on our ward. It is kind of you to take the time to write to us. I have shared your words with the doctor and with all the team on C52, we all appreciate them.

Sending our best wishes to you and your aunt
Suzie King
Ward Manager, C52

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Ward F19

My nana was admitted to this ward for a couple of weeks before passing away. I have mixed feelings about this as I found a few members of staff to be very rude and I even heard a member of staff speak to my nana whilst turning her, saying "what do you want me to do about it?" in a rude manner. When the member of staff opened the door and seen me, you could tell they knew I heard and they tried to be nice to me. I noticed my nana had deteriorated but I was made to feel that wasn't the case and she was okay. There was two nurses that were absolutely fantastic. Towards the end of my nana's life, they was there as much as they could and comforted us and my nana. There was another issue with a junior doctor telling my family that they would be sending my nana home and that they reckoned my nana would make a recovery (she died the day after). I know this is being dealt with by the doctor. The receptionist is absolutely lovely aswell, asking if we are okay as we walked through the doors everyday, and greeted us with a smile. Thank you to staff that were lovely, I will never forget what you did for us. I hope more staff like you are employed.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 26 September 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us, most especially at this difficult time. My condolences to you on your nana’s passing. It is disappointing that the behaviour of some of our staff is not what we would expect for which I apologise. I appreciate you also sharing the positive aspects of the care and support staff gave your nana at the end of her life. I am glad you mentioned your concerns at the time so that these can be addressed and so there can be learning, where this is applicable. You are welcome to contact me personally if you want to talk about any of your concerns and you can reach me on 0115 924 9924 ext 69019. I will share all of your feedback with my team.

Korrina Spencer
Ward Manager, F19

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I recently spent just over a day in A23, the worst day of my life. However the professional, compassionate and caring staff guided us through the most difficult time. I felt safe, supported, cared for and respected. A great tr of doctors, amazing nurses doing wonderful things. Also smiling and friendly catering and cleaning teams. Not a ward you want to need, but reassuring they are there.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 22 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 29 September 2016

I’m so sorry you had to go through such a difficult and frightening time and we send you our best wishes. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have shared this with the team who asked me to relay their appreciation to you.

Sarah Kordula.
A23 Ward Manager.

Coffin Dodgers wife reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Being seen at QMC for a suspected heart attack

Arrived by ambulance via our family doctors surgery. Seen very quickly and had various tests done to determine if this crushing feeling in the chest was indeed a heart attack.
Test results back in a couple of hours which confirmed that I had a blocked bundle vein which was of course marvellous news in view of what it could have been.
Everything fully explained to me about what would happen from now on by a charming doctor and answered any questions that were asked. Top marks to your doctor and his staff and to QMC.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 29 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 29 September 2016

Great to hear your symptoms weren’t related to a heart attack. This must have been incredibly worrying for you and your family. I have shared your message with the cardiology team. It would be great to also share your appreciation with the Doctor you mention but we would need a little more information about your visit to do so. If you feel able to, might you contact nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk so we can find out more?
Caroline Sheppard.
Matron, Cardiology.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Admissions Ward B3

On the 11th Steptember I was admitted to Admissions Ward B3 with severe stomach pains. This is an Admissions Ward. Every new patient who arrives has individual, critical problems! The work for the nurses and doctors is intense and relentless. The staff on B3 where remarkable. Efficient, knowlegdable and, above all, friendly and caring. So my heart-felt thanks to all. But a very special mention must go to one member of staff. Extremely knowledgable in their field. A tireless worker with a wonderful sense of humour, which time and time again lifted me out of my physical discomfort. Well done! Thank Goodness for our marvellous NHS!!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 29 September 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.