Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Shaun gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Unusual abbesses under 4 teeth

It would appear that this unit doesn’t cater for persons in pain and discomfort in the present. I’ve had abbesses under 4 teeth first reported as abnormal and requiring urgent on the 8th of August via fax (who uses fax in the 21st century? As the only method of transfer of document?) I received a letter ! from Maxillo-Facial surgery on th 26th August ( 20 days) askin my to ring appointments for a date. Rang today and was given the 22 of September! that’s 46 days plus the tow weeks in pain for my dentist to ask for help form Maxillo-facial, so it takes about 56 days of pain to see a “consultant”! and people say the NHS is on its last legs..

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Update on my wife's condition or treatment

Further to my previous review - Thanks to the local intervention of a senior member nursing staff on Ward 10, cajoling, sweet talk etc the current issue has been resolved. However I believe that QMC management should be both aware and addressing the communication route, especially when, as in this case, the patient is unable to be part of the process.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 August 2014

Peter Weston gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

No information given on my wife's condition or treatment

My wife was re-admitted to ward d10 after her condition deteriurated considerably in previous treatment in early June 2014;

Apart from the initial chat with the doctor who admitted her, he wanted to know her history, it was virtually impossible to speak to any of the medical staff regarding her condition.

During visiting times, her nurses seemed unable to arrange a meeting with any of her doctors - The doctors were always too busy, I tried to ring up out of hours to arrange a meeting, but the phone was never answered.

I tried to contact her consulant's secretary but the phone was not answered, and my calls were not returned, even though messages were left.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Anonymous gave Orthotics and Prosthetics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Orthotics

I telephoned the Orthotics department regarding new shoes for my mother. I was very impressed by the person I spoke to. He found my mothers details quickly and ordered new shoes to be delivered to her home in less than 2 weeks. Brilliant service! Thank you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Highs and lows - Emergency operation and recovery at QMC

I was admitted to hospital on 16th December 2013 and diagnosed with acute Ulcerative Colitis. After failing all medical treatment I underwent an emergency colectomy with ileostomy. I spent time in four wards throughout my stay: B3, F21, E12 (HDU) and E14 and in all but one, I received a brilliant level of care.

On the whole, my care at the QMC was exemplary. Upon admission I was promptly seen by a consultant. After spending a few nights on B3 and receiving a good level of care I was transferred to F21.

I cannot say thank you enough to the staff on F21. Every one of the nurses was compassionate, hard-working and attentive despite the busy nature of the ward and it being the run-up to the Christmas period. The ward was decorated for Christmas and all staff did their best to keep up a festive spirit. I was scared about the possibility of surgery and not only did the nurses provide top medical care, but also took the time to reassure me. They treated everybody with dignity and respect. They were very welcoming to my visitors.

The gastroenterologists and later the consultant surgeon who treated me explained everything thoroughly and were extremely caring and understanding throughout. When I didn't understand things they'd told me they were always prepared to explain again. My consultant surgeon even came and spoke to me on New Year's Day before operating on Jan 2nd. I cannot thank her enough - not only for saving my life! But also for talking to me with real sympathy and honesty that made such a difficult situation a lot more bearable.

The care I received in E12 (HDU) was of a very high standard and I was looked after brilliantly throughout.

However, I cannot honestly say the same for the care I received in E14. Sadly, after what was a largely positive stay, the week I spent in E14 left me desperate to leave. Several staff members in particular were rude and very unkind. Pain relief was woefully inadequate and always late - I was left, 5 days after open abdominal surgery, without any relief for 7 hours before it became so intolerable a doctor had to administer an emergency dose of IV morphine. Nurses argued openly in front of me about my care. One older lady was left for 90 mins+ needing the toilet (until she was crying and begging) - nurses came regularly to snap at her that they were busy, and she'd have to wait. Even the Christian 'support' people were terribly rude and when I said I wanted to attend a church service in a bed or chair (I was still bedbound at this point) they told me to 'stop making such a big deal and walk'. One morning I got out of bed, my bed was stripped then left unmade for 8 hours. My new stoma bag (full of my own faeces) leaked onto my open wound and when I asked a nurse to help me change it, she told me she needed her lunch break. There are more stories, but I've run out of characters.

In short, the majority of my care was excellent, but E14 let the whole stay down. I would be terrified to ever return to that ward.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 22 August 2014

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor level of service

I was referred to ward C32 as an emergency by my GP with a ovarian cyst which was scanned on 6th August ast 10.5cm by 7.5cm. The service was poor, the liaison between staff was uncoordinated and the communication between staff on the team was equally poor, with none of them knowing what colleagues had already attended to during my visit. I was in extreme pain, with escalating symptoms and was treated as through I was making the symptoms up and didn't feel as I was taken seriously at all. As my GP had not previouly take blood samples these were take but were used as an excuse not to progress any treatment and I was left wiaitng for over an hour for an appointment for me to be made for a further scan and to see a consultant after my blood tests are back. I left without an appointment being told that they would fax the Treatment Centre with my details with a an appt wthin 2 to 3 weeks which was not what the Dr who had seen me had stated - the doctor had stated that the appointment would be after 3 days when the blood tests were back. I am still in agony and trying to stay at work, the pain is getting worse and I can no longer do my trousers up and as such believe that the cyst is continuing to enlarge as the symptoms continue to get worse.

The ward and staff were scruffy and there was no professionalism amongst them - many of them seemed to stand around doing nothing and nothing was explained to me in terms of the process or order events that would take place. The first nurse I saw did advise me that I would not be left to go home in the pain that I was in but this was not true or accurate. In short I feel that it was appaling.

Having spoken to the Treatment Centre Gynacology unit today I have been advised that this is how many patients feel after being dealt with on ward C32 - they said they would do their very best to get me in as clearly there was a risk that the cyst could burst if it is contining to grow and cause problems - Ward C32 advised me if the pain increased or any bleefing occured to go to A&E - this does not feel appropriate in terms of patient care and preventing what my GP was trying to do i.e. manage the issue in a controlled way without an admission to A&E.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Car Parking

Car parking awful. If going to fracture clinic, by definition with broken bits, you have to walk from one side of hospital ( car park 3) to to the other. Can never get into car park one.
Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback and helpful suggestion. We do appreciate that car parking is particularly problematic at the busiest times at QMC and are working to find solutions. We are investing in a new multi-storey car park at QMC which will further increase car parking spaces on site next year and of course the arrival of the tram early 2015 will improve access to the hospital for everyone – patients, visitors and staff. We also encourage those who are able to use our free shuttle bus service (called the Medilink) to get to our hospital.

Car Parking

Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Laura gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

As always - good service!

My daughter is having her alveolar bone graft op next week. We came in today for the pre-op assessment. We live in Sheffield and although it's stressful to negotiate getting to appointments on time, the cleft team have always have accommodating and have been nothing but kind to us.
They are super efficient! And they've managed to arrange my daughters op in school holiday time which is a big relief.
Thank you.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share details of your daughter’s positive experience in our care. It’s pleasing to hear that you experienced such kindness and efficiency from our colleagues. We will share your appreciation of their hard work with the team.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members and it only takes a few minutes. The Head and Neck category is most relevant to your comments and you can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028.

Eleanor Watkins gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

regular appointments for methatrexate IM injections on C32

I have been attending ward C32 for 4 Methatrexate injections per fortnight since June 14th 2014 and I requested to change hospitals to Derby Royal on 24th July 2014. I was diagnosed with a complete molar pregnancy in on 19th September 2013, and was an inpatient in C32 for the D&C procedure. The procedure went as well as it could, and the care given for this was fine. Since then I have been looked after by Sheffield Weston Park Hospital, and we made the decision to start methatrexate injections because the molar tissue was re-growing.
When I went back to C32 for these injections, there was a lack of people who had been on the course necessary to give the injection. Over the coming weeks I realised that there were 2 staff nurses able to give the injection and one training. Attending C32 every other day, I have various issues with the care overall on the ward, not least being surrounded by happy couples going home with their scan photos, which I of course didn't get, and as I am unable to try again for my first baby until a year has passed from the end of Methatrexate treatment, I wont get for a while.
My main issues are:
There is not enough staff trained in giving this injection. Either train more staff, or don't offer the service. I have since transfered to Derby and have had no problems whatsoever.
Being made to wait for a long time.
I understand that it is an emergency ward, and I am happy to wait. However, I asked for an appointment time, or when would be the best time to come in, but with the exception of the first injection, I was never seen within an hour and once I waited over 3 hours. Hospital parking is not cheap.
Lack of basic customer care.
I too work for the NHS and so I have an understanding of the level of service we provide. I did not get this level of service. I have a feeling it is due to staffing issues as everyone was very stressed and rushed, but still, I was ignored by everyone, noone smiled at me or came to say "sorry we have an emergency today, and you might not get seen for 2 hours, would you like to come back later?".
Noone knows what a molar pregnancy is.
I know it is a rare condition, but even on an early pregnancy unit I would have expected the nurses to know what it is. I had to explain it several times to staff nurses and even a locum doctor. I had to explain how it is different from an ectopic pregnancy, why it is treated with methatrexate, how it is just bad luck and not actually my fault and I am pretty upset about the whole thing.
Administering of injection.
This has always been up to the preference of the nurse at QMC. In Derby it is up to me.
I have always felt like an inconvenience
Believe me I wouldn't choose to have this treatment, it has impacted severely on my mental health, suffering the loss of a pregnancy and not being able to try again for so long. There is a lack of empathy and understanding, perhaps due to stress. I felt like I was such an inconvenience to everyone's day.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

We are extremely saddened to read your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed account of your experience which sets out a number of areas where we seem to have fallen short and can do better. We would very much welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly to discuss your concerns face-to-face so that we can listen to you, provide answers and importantly describe where we have either already made improvements or have improvements/changes planned which will improve the experience for our patients in the future. If you wish to do so, please contact me via email at Benita.Brear@nuh.nhs.uk and we can arrange to meet up at your convenience.