Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Department, QMC

I brought my Dad to the ED the other night as following a fall he sustained an injury to his finger which looked to be infected. The service we received from checking in to being seen by the nurse was excellent. The nurse could not have been more caring and treated my dad with respect. This is our second visit to the ED and despite how busy it must be there is always a feeling of calm and organisation.
We had to wait a while which you expect but once we were seen by the nurse, through to x-ray and then back to see the nurse was very efficient and quick.
Please pass on our thanks to the department.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you. It’s good of you to take the time to get in touch and share the details of your experience. I’ve shared your feedback with staff in our Emergency Department.

Best wishes to you and your dad. I hope his finger is healing well.

Clare Mayfield.
Deputy Matron, Emergency Department.

Ruthie1e reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

It's truly amazing people, thank you so much to each of you.

I witnessed first hand the so called "state" of our NHS. I could choose to remember and focus on the 2. 5 hour wait for a paramedic with dad on the floor in excruciating pain and in a pool of blood until a paramedic arrived; that there were no ambulances to take him to hospital; the shocking scenes of scores and scores of sick people on trollies in any available space in A&E or that it took 12 hours to get a serious elbow dislocation reset and an actively bleeding torn vein stitched together.
Instead I want to focus on and tell you about the absolutely amazing people we met along the way.
Jason the paramedic who gave dad much needed pain relief and who stayed at our house waiting for an ambulance to arrive. After it became apparent there was no ambulance available, he cleared space in his paramedic car and took mum and dad up to QMC. He was visibly exhausted but took the time to listen to each of us, and especially dad's gas induced ramblings! Without him we couldn't have got to the hospital.
Mohammed the A & E doctor who told dad off for calling him sir but deserved the title as we watched him constantly working to get dad a space in resus, not forgetting about us amidst it all, coming back regularly to update us.
The Dr in resus who took time out from dealing with incredibly sick patients to bring me a chair as he'd noticed I was sitting on a step.
The orthopedic doctor (I am ashamed to say I have forgotten his name) who we watched for 3 hours trying to get dad any available doctor who could administer the anesthetic so he could reset his arm.
Sam, the deputy sister in resus who took time to reassure dad and fought the doctors to stitch his hand before they relocated his arm so he could then have the proper type of cast applied. And who had an awe inspiring grip on the status and medical care of patients in resus.
Ewan the doctor in resus who despite having dealt with many seriously critical patients before he managed to get to us, he talked to Dad like he was the first patient of the night and he had all the time in the world.
The resus nurse who took time to listen and laugh with us.
The orderly who joked and smiled with me as he walked past xray.
Each of these and every other NHS employee we met was either at the end of a 12 hour day or well into a long night shift, under pressure and at times openly frustrated with the countless hurdles they came across just to do their jobs. Each one took the time to care for Dad like he was their only patient, to listen to his drug educed ramblings with affection and humour and to reassure and laugh with us.
I witnessed first hand the NHS' biggest asset, the thing that is keeping the creaking machine moving - it's truly amazing people, thank you so much to each of you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 05 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 07 March 2017

I’m sorry to hear you, your dad and your family experienced such unacceptably long waits in our Emergency Department, but pleased to hear that the care you received and staff who looked after your dad left such a positive impression. Your feedback shows how this is very much a team effort, from paramedics to the clinicians working at our hospitals. I have shared your kind words with our Emergency Department colleagues, and asked they share with Sam, Mohammed and colleagues.

With regards to your comments about Jason, paramedics are employed by East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EMAS). Should you wish to share any feedback with them directly you can contact them on emas.pals@nhs.net.

Thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch. Your feedback will mean a lot to staff. I hope your dad’s elbow is now on the mend.

Jane Newton.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Trainingiskey reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Pain Management shocking

A surgical pre admission Ward at NUH Trust Ward C31 where my relative was in pain for unreasonable lengths of time as the staff on the Ward could not cannulate! Senior staff 'unable' to do it.....please tell me why patients have to put up with such poor basic care? Yes- you are busy, yes- the Ward is clean, yes- many staff appear kind and caring. It REALLY.......we could be in severe pain at home! How is this allowed to happen please?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 March 2017

Thank you for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear your relative was in so much pain and that you’re unhappy with the level of care provided on the ward. I’d be happy to discuss these concerns either directly with your relative or, with your relative’s consent, with you directly. If you would like to contact me you can reach me on 0115 9249924 ext. 68451 or Rekhaben.Patel@nuh.nhs.uk.

Rekhaben Patel.
Matron, Surgical Division.

Sarah gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Inpatient

I would like to thank all of the staff on Inpatient ward a23. I recently left a review of a23 outpatients and wasn't very happy with how some of the staff treated me. I had been told I had an ectopic pregnancy and had the methotrexate injection, unfortunately it didn't work first time and I was told the best way forward was now to operate. I wasnt worried by this as everything was explained in depth so much better than my first encounter my doctors were great so caring and understanding. The treatment and care after my operation was great the nurse I had during the night was fantastic I can't begin to thank them enough for their care so caring and kind this is definitely a person that is great at what they do. The member of staff who brings the meals was great I'm not sure of their name lovely person. The day time time nurse was lovely too they even took the time after their shift had ended just to pop into my cubicle to keep me informed on my going home I can't thank any of these people enough it made a very difficult time for me easier .

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

Hi Sarah,

Thank you, I appreciate you taking time to post a further review. I’m pleased that your experience was better experience this time round.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Sarah Kordula.
A23 Ward Manager.

Janie gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor care

Poor care of elderly
Mum left on trolley for nine hours - starving and dehydrated
Nurse cold and uncaring attitude

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 05 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 March 2017

Dear Janie. I am sorry to hear that your mum has experienced unacceptably long waits in our Emergency department. I’m particularly concerned to read your concerns regarding standards of care and staff attitudes. I’d welcome the chance to discuss this with you directly so I can learn more about your mum’s experience and address the issues you raise. If you’d like to, you can email me on beverly.brady@nuh.nhs.uk or call 0115 9249924 ext. 70398 to speak to the nurse in charge.

Bev Brady.
Lead Nurse, Emergency Department.

Oliver Freeman gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

C32 - Surgical Triage Unit

I was sent in to have surgery on an abscess in my lower-back yesterday morning and all of the staff on C32 were amazing - thank you.

I suffer with health anxiety and coming in for surgery at such short notice was really daunting for me, but all of the staff assured me that everything would be fine, the anaesthetists were great, the surgeon was great and all of nurses were great - thank you.

What happened is a fine example of exactly how great the NHS is - I went to Ilkeston Minor Injuries unit where they tried to lance the abscess but they couldn't, and they rang through to QMC straight away and I was referred to C32 where I had surgery the next day and went home about three hours later - amazing, thank you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 17 March 2017

Thank you Oliver for leaving such lovely feedback. I’m pleased to hear we were able to help you feel assured during your stay with us. I’ll pass on your thanks to all staff concerned.

I hope you’re recovering well after your surgery and that you have a great weekend.

Karen Ward.
Surgical Triage Ward Manager.

John gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

QMC Emergency Dept

My mother-in-law was referred to QMC Emergency Dept. by her GP last week ( Thursday 9th March).
I wanted to pass on to you how much we appreciated the excellent level of communication and care we received from every member of staff with whom we had any contact. The Dept. was clearly very busy and the staff were obviously working under considerable pressure but everyone who dealt with us was helpful, friendly and took time to explain what was being done and why.
There was some inevitable waiting but it was clear both from the attention we received and the attention being given to other patients around us, that staff were doing everything they could to treat patients sensitively and thoroughly.
Thank you. We very much appreciated the care we received.

Best wishes.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

Hi John. What lovely praise for our staff. Your feedback shows the impact that good communication has on the experience of our patients and their families. I’ve shared your comments with our Emergency Department team.

Best wishes to you and your mother in law. I hope you both have a wonderful weekend.

Clare Mayfield.
Deputy Matron, Emergency Department.

Stub reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Superb attention to detail by staff

Our 12yr old son was rushed to the QMC with suspected diabetes type1. He was quickly treated and cared for and we can't express our thanks and gratitude enough to all the staff on the children's assessment unit, on ward D33 and the diabetes team.
There superb attention to detail, their compassion and care is something we will never forget at this traumatic time in our life. Our son made a rapid recovery and took his first steps on this lifelong journey with this condition.
The honesty and candour and the care was phenomenal from everyone concerned. We are fortunate in Nottingham to have such wonderful services and people.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 17 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 March 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to get in touch. I’m pleased to hear your son made a rapid recovery and that staff were able to make a frightening experience that bit more bearable. We are indeed lucky to have such excellent NHS services in Nottingham, as feedback like yours demonstrates. I have shared your appreciation with the various teams you mention.

Best wishes to you, your son and your family.

Kerry Webb.
Matron, Nottingham Children’s Hospital, QMC

Kylie danforth gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant

I can not fault qmc Labor department b26 was absolutely amazing during my stay and after my son Bentley was born I can't express how thankful I am to the staff from the dr who held my hand all the way threw my c-section and stayed hours after their shift had finished kept me up date all the way threw and kept me calm the midwife infact the hole team flawless and are a credit to qmc , the surgical team just as amazing all the way threw to recovery
Ward c29 so many of the nurses and doctors on that ward who reassured me cleaned me up and looked after me amazing right up until my discharge.
I must say the auroma therapy that they give you during Labor epically the lemon and grapefruit actually did help during contacts keep up the good work .
And thank you

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 March 2017

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy, Bentley! I’m pleased to hear that each staff member left a lasting impression and that you were so pleased with the care you received.

Sending my best wishes to you, baby Bentley and your family.

Kay Khan.
QMC Maternity Matron.

Very friendly staff, was seen and treated quickly

The staff were very friendly and supportive, the atmosphere was welcoming and quiet and the environment was quite clean at least. I was seen to and treated quickly and with a lot of care and support, felt very comfortable and respected. Very pleasant experience overall, thanks very much.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

This is good to hear. I’m pleased that you found staff to be friendly, caring and supportive. Thanks so much for taking time to share your feedback.

Jane Newton.