Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Marilyn Day Antoniak gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

A & E treatment following head injury

On Good Friday I had to be taken by ambulance to A & E following an accident in a skate park. I sustained bruising and a gash to my head. The ambulance crew were fantastic in dealing with my distressed grandson and my dog and arranging for someone to collect them as my grandson was too upset to come with me.
On arrival at the QMC the staff were superb-efficient, good natured and cheerful;working together with real enthusiasm. I felt that they were an amazing, co-operative team.
I received top notch treatment from every member of staff and would like to thank in particular a nurse and the dental surgeon who stitched me up ( and made a great job). The stitches will come out tomorrow and I intend to submit a picture of their handiwork when the wound has fully healed.
Despite all the pain and distress I came away feeling that the chance attendance had allowed me to meet some wonderful people who were cheerfully working over the holiday period. A huge thank you to you all.
Marilyn Antoniak

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 08 April 2015

Hi Marilyn. Thank you so much for getting in touch. We will share your feedback and your words of thanks with our colleagues in the Emergency Department. We hope you are on the mend. healing nicely.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Chikdrens a&e is a joke

Having sat in a&e for 1 hour 15 minutes before a nurse asked us what was wrong with our 3 year old, having explained she fell and hurt her wrist to be told to sit back in reception until a doctor could then send her for an X-ray, staff casually walking round, chatting like they're on a night out, no rush in them. An absolute joke, I went to kingsmill a&e about 4 months ago as we were on holiday at centre parcs and it was the closest hospital and it was such a different experience, seen and sent home within 2 hours after having iv antibiotics and fluids

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 10 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 16 April 2015

Thank you for taking time to feedback to us. Firstly, I apologise that you had this experience in our Children’s Emergency Department. We have a nurse at the front door who rapidly assesses children as they arrive (typically between 10am-10pm). I am therefore surprised that you didn’t see a nurse for two hours. The department is very small and open so that we can see how children are in the waiting room, but this also makes the main nursing and doctors station in the department visible. We understand that it is difficult from the waiting room to see staff talking to each other. Although this is likely to be regarding treatment decisions, we do appreciate that it can sometimes appear that our staff are chatting. This is something we are looking into at the moment, reminding staff about talking near to the main area of the department. We ensure that children are seen by a doctor before an X-Ray as we try to minimise exposure to radiation for children, unless absolutely necessary, which explains why you were not sent to X-Ray by a nurse. With a little more detail we might be able to better explain the reason for the delay. If you would like to discuss this further you can do so by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or by emailing sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.

Dr Clare Dieppe, Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Clinical Lead Children’s Emergency Department.

Anonymous reviewed Diagnostic Physiological Measurement at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

X-Ray Department.

I went for an early morning X Ray that had been a GP referral. I had to wait For over a month for this.When I got to the X Ray department the receptionist was sorting some patients problems over the phone,but there was 3 other X ray helpers behind the desk lounging with their back to the wall and general ignoring me, I appreciate that they are can not check me in for the appointment,but a bit of eye contact and a acknowledgment that I would be delt with soon would have been at least polite. Eventually the receptionist (who was still on the phone) asked if I had an appointment. The a radiographer came out and asked me a my name and all was sorted and fine from there on. It was the Genral feeling of being ignored for 3-4 mins that totally annoyed me. I cannot fault the Radiogrpher they were very nice,and I can not blame the Receptionist they were busy,it was the the other 3 that spoiled the appoimtment .

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 11 April 2015

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear that the behaviour of our staff was not what we would expect and certainly not the way we would expect staff to greet patients when they arrive for appointments. It would be useful to know the time and date of your visit so we can identify who was on shift and raise this with the individuals concerned. If you would like to get in touch you can do so by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or emailing sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.

Aileen Birtwistle gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Care and attention in the A & E Dept and on the ENT ward on

I attended A & E on Thursday, the 5th March, in the evening, with some thing dangling at the back of my throat. Everyone I came in contact with - student, doctor, nurses, x-ray dept., treated me with courtesy and good humour. I was subsequently taken to the Ear, Nose and Throat ward where a blood clot was suctioned from the back of my throat. The doctor who performed this was fantastic, but another big plus in their favour was that as they were busy dashing from room to room, they never failed to acknowledge my husband and me in the waiting area, and apologising for keeping us waiting. And a big thank you to the nursing staff who gave my husband a very welcome cuppa.

When people know you are there but pretend you are not, this is always guaranteed to upset you, When you are taken notice of, this really does help to keep you calm and civil. When you turn up as an emergency, you expect to wait anyway, but a big thumbs up to that particular member of the ENT team. And all the others!
Aileen Birtwistle

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 09 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 March 2015

Thank you for such wonderful feedback Aileen. Your story is a perfect example of how the personal touches and often ‘the little things’ add up to make a big difference to our patients. We will share your comments with the teams involved in your care.

Today marks the launch of this year’s people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards. In light of your experience you may wish to consider nominating one of our nurses for an award. You can do so at www.nuh.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Thank you to all staff especially those in ward C5 for caring for my mother.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 09 March 2015

It’s great to read such positive feedback, which we have now shared with our team on Ward C5. We hope your mother is recovering well & wish you and your family well.

Lynda gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

I was referred by my dentist on March 4th for an emergency due to dental abscess. I was seen quickly and always treated courteously.
Within 4.25 hours, I had been through A&E and agreed a treatment plan, gone up to the Maxillofacial department for X-ray and then tooth extraction and draining the abscess, then to pharmacy (half hour wait) for follow up medicines. Not the nicest of things to have done but the staff were very good at calming and reassuring me when I was very nervous.
The NHS did a brilliant job - thank you to all concerned.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 09 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 March 2015

Thanks for your glowing report. We’re pleased to hear our staff reassured you and helped you feel at ease throughout your treatment. We’ll pass on your ‘thank you’ to the teams involved in your care. We hope you’re recovering well.

You can nominate one of our nurses for an award to recognise all they do - visit www.nuh.nhs.uk for more details.

slh gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Disappointed

I attended the treatment centre from a referral from my doctor regarding a fybroid,
The consultant didn't even mention this, just kept refering to having my copper coil being replaced with a marina coil, which the consultant wanted to do there and then. I didnt want this to happen because it makes me very nervous and it was very unexpected, I thought I was there to discuss treatment of my fibroid (I could of discuss the removal of my coil with the doctor and I'm sure they could of arranged to take it out, they put it in!!!)
so I've come away none the wiser. I have a fibroid that gives me terrible pain and very heavy bleeding and they are doing nothing about it, it was not even discussed to monitor (as the type I have can get very large). I'm guessing I'm suppose to live like this.
I came away feeling very sad and confused.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 10 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 12 March 2015

We are sorry to hear of your distress and concern regarding your care at the Treatment Centre (on the QMC site). This facility is managed by Circle, not Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. We will pass on your complaint to Circle. Should you wish to contact Circle about your care at The Treatment Centre you can do so on 0115 970 5800 or by email nottingham@circlepartnership.co.uk.

Unacceptable patient care

I accompanied a friend to accident emergency following her being sexually assaulted. The doctor refused to examine her, saying that even though she didn't want to report it to the police she was 'a crime scene' and then proceeded to tell her how she had caused the incident by being drunk. Given that my friend was already distressed due to the cause of her injuries I find this wholely inappropriate behaviour and I feel like they compromised her emotional safety.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 14 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Jill Skeavington gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

patient referral time

My GP referred me to a consulant who required blood tests before my CT scan.

The consultant dictated the letter requesting the blood tests on 9/2/2015, it was 'checked online but not signed to avoid delay'. This letter was not typed untill 20/2/2015 and posted by 2nd class post on 24/2/2015, reaching me on 27/02/2015.

I was able to obtain a blood test from my GP on 2/3/2015 and have just had the CT scan.
I consider that the delay in producing the request to be totally unacceptable when one is extremely concerned to obtain a diagnosis.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 17 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 March 2015

Thank you for taking time to feedback to us. We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with our service. We would like to investigate your concerns further, however, we require some further information from you to do so. If you would like to get in touch so that we can look into your concerns by emailing sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk or calling 0115 9249924 ext. 67184.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

referral process dysfunctional and wasteful

so far, the referral process has been thoroughly dysfunctional and wasteful: First, I was not able to change an appointment on the site but it was cancelled by default, so GP had to refer again; now I am not able to book appointment at all!

- and that is not even mentioning the letter from the Consultant saying I could phone and re-book and a less than helpful ENT admin (referral to Voices Clinic)
- resulting in zilch.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 31 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 01 April 2015

Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback. Regarding the online booking system, we have spoken to the outpatients team who informed us that being unable to book typically means that the appointment slots were full. We are concerned to hear that staff some staff were not as helpful as we would expect them to be. We will discuss this with the team with the aim of improving our standards. If you wish us to look into what happened on this occasion in more detail, we require more information from you. To do so, you can contact us on 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.