Check here for alerts

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Great care in Children's A and E

Would like to say a huge thank you to the staff in childr be A and E who treated my son quickly and efficiently. Special thanks to one member of staff who was amazing and dealt with him with such dignity and respect. Can't thank you enough

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 01 November 2016

Thanks so much. I’ve shared comments with the team who send their best wishes to you and your son.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Susan Tanner.
Sister, Children’s Emergency Department.

Freddie Scott gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

A review of two halves

I cannot speak too highly of the operating theatre and recovery care I received at QMC. The nurses were so caring and nothing was too much trouble. It was a different story on ward F22. The night nurse was abrupt to the point of rudeness and I honestly wondered why they were a nurse, as they really didn't seem to care. The nurses on nights were also very noisy on this ward and it sounded like they were having a party right outside my room. Luckily I was only in for one night, as quite honestly I would have discharged myself rather than spend one more night on that ward.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 02 November 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry that you found the ward to be noisy at night. We are working on this across QMC and City Hospital in response to patient feedback and have a programme of work in place to reduce noise levels on our wards, which we know aids patients’ rest and recovery. I’d like to talk through your concerns with you in more detail. Might you can contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext 62117 or email Amanda.mulligan@nuh.nhs.uk and we will talk through. I appreciate your kind words about your care in theatre and recovery and I have shared your comments with relevant staff in these areas.

Mandy Mulligan.
Sister, F22.

vicki H gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

C.A.U.

My daughter and I arrived shattered after spending several hours at a different hospital who referred us to QMC. Each and every member of staff we came into contact with was so friendly, and I feel went the extra mile for us and others who were waiting to be seen. I can truthfully say I have never meet such a professional team, and each member is integrated to maximize the efficiency of the unit! Its appears the individuals view it as a vocation and it is comforting to be in that environment, when a parent / child is at their most vulnerable. Bravo, what ever you are doing you do it well :)

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 07 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 08 November 2016

Thank you for posting about your experience of our Children’s Assessment Unit. I have shared this with our staff on the ward, who send their thanks for your lovely comments. We all wish you and your family well.

Kelly Atkinson,
Ward Manager, Children’s Assessment Unit.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Rude staff member - apparently in charge at A&E

Absolutely appalling service. I asked the member of staff in charge at the A&E department if they could contact or call the consultant as something was missing from my wife's prescription. The consultant had mentioned it in the discussion, but it was not on the prescription. The member of staff didn't even look at me and said someone has told your wife they will be there in a bit. I asked if there was another Doctor that could look at her script as it meant there's a possibility she would be going home without the right medication and I was concerned and it would also raise her anxiety. The member of staff in charge again said in a rude, abrupt and dismissive manner 'someone will see your wife when she's ready to go'. I asked the member of staff to speak in a polite, calm and an appropriate manner and why were they not appearing to be person centred? Why did they think it was not important to consider patient well being. I understood there were a lot of patients to be seen and the possibility that the member of staff had been working a long shift. But, stated it was unfair to be disrespectful, dismissive and abbrut towards me and that my wife's well being should be considered. I spoke in a calm, polite manner with my elbows tucked in. I explained as a Health care professional, professionalism should always be maintained and with the display of being snappy and not patient centred they should consider some time off or a short break. It was not my wife's fault she was ill and I would of appreciated some support in a person centred way. I then asked if anybody else could help me, they said 'No'. Very dismissive, I asked the member of staff if they were refusing to help, they said 'I told you your wife will have to wait until her fluids are done'. Absolutely disgraceful.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 November 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear that you and your wife were spoken to inappropriately and the impact of this on your experience. I’d like to look into this but need more details to do so. If you are able to, would you be able to get in touch with me so I can talk to you directly? You can reach me on 0115 9249924 ext. 70181 or email jane.newton@nuh.nhs.uk.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Philip Walter gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Superb care and attention

I attended the MRI department for a scan today as part of a care package following surgery. The care and attention I received today was of the highest quality, the member of staff that saw me through the whole process could not have been better.Unfortunately I did not take a note of their name, but my name is Philip Walter and if they could be thanked for their care I would be grateful.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 November 2016

Thank you for taking time to write to us, Philip. I’ll be sure to find out which member of staff looked after you and pass on your thanks to them.

Nicola Kennedy.
Head of Service, Radiology.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Maternity care

I recently gave birth in QMC, I was not booked to go there but was diverted there due to shortages of beds at my original hospital. We found the staff immediately fantastic right from security helping us to park to every staff member in the labour suite. We are a same sex couple and found that staff fully understood how we both wanted to be treated. The labour suite staff treated us both with massive dignity and respect. They could not do enough for us, and worked tirelessly hard throughout their 12 hour shift to ensure we had everything we needed. They didn't leave us for a second and explained everything very clearly. Every doctor and nurse showed genuine interest in us and our baby, clearly they have huge passion for their work. We want to say a huge thank you for making our birthing experience so positive, what a fantastic hospital.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 10 November 2016

Many congratulations to you and your partner on the birth of your baby, and thanks so much for your lovely feedback. I’ve shared your kind words with our QMC maternity staff, who are pleased we were able to help you have a positive birth experience.
I hope mum and baby are doing well!

Gemma Herbert
Matron, QMC Maternity

Jaime Garcia Iglesia gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Excellent Surgical Team, poor Emergency Department

Visited QMC earlier this week with a stomach ache that turned out to be appendicitis, finally getting emergency surgery on Tuesday afternoon. I arrived at the ED on Monday night. Had to wait for more than eight hours to be seen by a doctor. Staff were totally oblivious to the patients in the waiting room, not checking on us at all. Doctor forgot to inform me of my diagnosis before leaving their shift. I'd say that the ED may have been saturated (didn't seem so), but the staff surely didn't seem to be very cooperative (for instance, two nurses were told that my urine sample needed to be bagged, they said they would be coming in a second, and forgot about it!). On the other hand, all the staff in the Surgical Triage Unit and C31 (I stayed in the Green Bay) were incredibly amazing: caring, sweet, efficient, understanding. They were super welcoming and also extremely warm. I'd like to thank them for all their help during my short recovery and for making being in hospital so much easier and even nicer!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 12 November 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 November 2016

I am sorry to hear you had unacceptably long waits in our Emergency Department (ED). I’m concerned to hear about your poor experience, particularly the staff attitudes and behaviours you observed. I will share your comments with staff but I’d like to get a little more detail about your experience so I can make sure we can learn from this, as appropriate. Would you be able to contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 70181 or email jane.newton@nuh.nhs.uk?

I have also shared this with the C31 team, who pass on their thanks for your kind comments about them.

Hospital Feedback.

Being a visitor to Nottingham, I was taken by ambulance to A&E, after an episode of dizzyness, being unable to stand up without falling down again. Do not feel that I was treated in an appropriate way in this hospital, as I was discharged, 3 hrs after, with no advice or diagnosis, when it was my inner ear which was causing the problem. This was discovered the day after, when I was taken to my local A&E, who did a much more in depth examination!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 12 November 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry you feel you weren’t treated appropriately during your recent visit to our Emergency Department and that you felt you didn’t receive appropriate information or advice before being discharged. I’d like to look into this further and therefore it would be useful if we could talk about it directly. Would you be able to contact me by phone or email? I’m on 01115 9249924 ext. 70181 or jane.newton@nuh.nhs.uk.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Chrisp reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My hospital admission

I fell ill recently and was admitted to intensive care at Queens Medical Centre on the Monday where I was diagnosed with meningitis. I then moved to High Dependency for two days and then transferred to Nottingham City Hospital Nightingale Isolation ward. I cannot speak too highly of the care I have received at both hospitals. Having been a nursing sister, I know about good nursing practice, and both hospitals provided that in spades, as did the medical and domestic staff.
Whilst I was in hospital, on the Thursday, I felt well enough to have a shower on my own,although there was an offer of assistance.I managed the shower O.K., but found the shower tray very deep.On attempting to get out,I stood on the rim of the shower with my left foot, but as I placed my right foot on the rim, I slipped backwards and banged my back on the wall rim.I screamed out and immediately four members of staff came to my aid. I acknowledge that I should not have stood on the rim,but when the ward sister interviewed me,she admitted that they had been waiting for a "refurb" in the bathroom for some time. In no way do I hold the hospital responsible for my accident.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 November 2016

Thanks for posting your comments. I have shared this with the various staff teams you mention, including Anid, who you spoke to at the time regarding the incident in our shower room.

I have spoken to Nightingale ward who are still waiting for a date for the refurb but fingers crossed it will be completed soon.

We all hope you’re recovering well.

Rebecca Selwyn.
Matron, Adult Intensive Care and Medical High Dependency.

jamiecat reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Great service at QMC

My 5 year old son lost a flight with a log step yesterday and ended up in the Children's A&E department at QMC. I would like to commend all of the staff for the friendly, professional and efficient treatment we received. In particular, Dr Geoff and Nurse Zoe were patient and excellent at putting my son at ease and completing the stitch-up swiftly.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 03 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 November 2016

Sounds like a nasty accident! I’m pleased to hear you were impressed with the service you received. I hope your son is recovering well now he’s been stitched up. I have shared your comments with Dr Geoff and Nurse Zoe, who appreciate the time you have taken to get in touch.

Best wishes to you and your son,

Susan Tanner.
Sister, Children’s Emergency Department.