Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Care in resus

Our son was involved in a rta Saturday night. Care in resus was fantastic and timely. Doctors, nurses, support staff, reception and radiographers were superb.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 12 November 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Pharmacy gettig bad to worse

What I liked

Pharmacy is worse,, my wife had to go back to the treatment centre today at the Q.M.C.12/11/2011...to see her consultant ,i went in to the pharmacy to see what was the waiting time for a perception . i was told by a member of staff 45 min to 1 hour wait , the pharmacy was full of people waiting ,,, this is got to be distressing for the old and them who are in a lot of pain...its not getting any better,,, dose anyone care at the pharmacy? why are they allowed to get away with this cruelty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 13 November 2014

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Great Communication, Lack of information

What I liked

I came here on a Thursday night after coughing up blood, had some very serious pain in my abdomen and near the centre of my chest, I also had a tight feeling in my chest and 2 or 3 nights before I had a blackout where I nearly collapsed.

The streaming nurse, A+E doctors and nurses who took my blood tests, ECG, temp and CT scan were all very cheerful and considerate/caring.

The A+E senior doctors or gastro doctors examined me carefully, asked me about my what I had eaten and what I was doing which was good, they said I could have stomach ulcers and was given a gastro tablet with strong pain killers and said they will pass details to my GP to refer me back to the gastro department which I am grateful for.

What I can't understand is when the doctors went away and maybe went off duty I was approached by a rude nurse with a right attitude saying you can go home now so get ready!! I asked what about the doctors report to my GP.

She said the doctors done what they needed to do so you can go home!

I was very frustrated, appalled and confused I still get the pains now and have to wait until Monday to see my GP.

Due to my uncertainty I am unsure if I will come to this ED department again and may go to another after what happened at the end it shows that some of the nurses don't have consideration or care for others who come to ED, I am quite unhappy.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 15 November 2014

Great Communication, Lack of acknowledgement

It was a Thursday afternoon I was out in town and I felt bloated and I went to the toilets to try and sick it out and when I did I was coughing up blood and had very serios abdominal pain and going to the centre of my chest, I thought have I got a bleed inside my stomach or porferation like?

Also some pressure on my head and blacked out and nearly collapsed 2 nites before sa I have a Neurological condition in which I am being referred for.

The time I entered A+E the streaming nurse was lovely and considerate she checked my blood pressure talked about what was going on and all my symptoms. She then told me to sit down and wait to be seen by two of the doctors or nurses, she said we are going to give you something to sit on with out wheels I began to think if I was being taken seriously or if I am a visitor instead or have they ran out of trolley beds haha.

I sat down and we talked about what had happened about my abdominal pains and I told her about the night I nearly collapsed, also explained I am being refered to neurolgy in which she was surprised and asked why so I explained that I have black outs, dizziness, tiredness and weakness with the pressure feeling I get on my head at times.

They perfromed an EGG and took my bloods, they then gave me a trolley bed to rest on.

About 4 hours later I was seen by possibly a gastro Doctor or A+E lead doctors who examined my abdominal pains and had a discussion about my medical history, when the pain happened/started, what I was eating and doing at the time which I am most appreciative.

The doctors said I had stomach ulcers and I explained I had an endoscopy and I have lost quite a bit of weight due to gastro condition and they are sending information back to my GP for me to be referred back to gastro department I said I should also have a colonioscopy as I had some bowel pain and they agreed and went off to arrange something.

I was given pain killler and a nice type of gastro tablet which relieved a nurse at the end made things sour and had a right attitude and was rude You can go home now! I asked what about my tests and the doctors report to my GP and she replied, thats all been done you can go home!

Then before all this the another doctor said when I said I thought of it being a bleed you don't do the thinking, we do the thinking, I said ok and I was coughing blood, she said, that is for us to think about did she think I was making it up?

At the end I felt confused and frustrated when she told me to go home, I thought if anything had been done or if the report was sent back to my GP.

Due to my uncertainty I may not go to this A+E department again and may go to another should I need to, the doctors do one thing right and the other wrong at times, its not good enough.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 15 November 2014

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

grateful patient

What I liked

Nothing but praise for the surgeons and staff. Would go nowhere else.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 22 November 2014

Lydia gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

great emergency care

Passed out and knocked my head on tiled floor Wednesday night, I called for an ambulance which came very quickly, the call handler was brill even though I was struggling to speak coherently. I was looked after by two paramedics, I can only remember one I don't know if the message will get through but thank you for everything I was really scared and you made me feel much better. I haven't been to hospital since I was born at the queens med 26 years ago and I can't fault a thing, nurses and doctors very caring and didn't seem rushed of their feet or tired, they were all happy and smiling which made a big difference for me. I hope I never have to visit a&e again but if I or anyone I know has too I wouldn't have any worries about it being this hospital.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 23 November 2014

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

MRI SCAN

I was not happy with way I was treated on a Thursday 6th November.appointment time was 9.50 I was there 20 minutes before the time there was a fire drill so I had to wait outside.when I got to my appointment I was seen straight away the Doctor Who asked me to fill in details was helping. The person doing the mi scan seemed to be in a rush and was rude.on my letter it says the appointment is for 45 minutes I was in for on 25 the most, when I came out of the scan there was another person in the office already in a small office which meant I had to put my coat on outside I feel I was treated unfairly and did not have any time to discuss my symptoms which is a normal procedure please can I be informed of the outcome.Mrs Audrey Willis.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 10 November 2014

K gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted

Got referred by my gp as had suspected miscarriage, only to be sat waiting for 6 hours before being seen by a doctor! To be told they have no spaces left for a scan so could I return in the morning! I asked once after being sat for 4 hours how long they think it would be in the politest possible way, to be abruptly cut off and told there very busy and how longs a piece of string! Very unprofessional and not understanding of woman going through a heartbreaking time!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 07 November 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 November 2014

I was very sorry to read of your experience during what must understandably have been a very distressing time to you. Please be assured that the manner in which you say you were spoken to by that member of staff is not in keeping with the standards of behaviour our Trust would expect all our colleagues to abide by, and I am sorry for any additional distress that this caused to you. I would welcome the opportunity to talk further with you about your experience of our hospital, you can contact me by email to Benita.Brear@nuh.nhs.uk or by telephoning me on 07595284924 between 8:00am and 5:00pm if you wish to. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and help us to identify where we can do better in future.

Benita Brear, Matron, Gynaecology

daymay gave Colorectal cancer services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Discharge process is grossly inefficient.

I have been an in patient now for 10 days and have been extremely satisfied
with my treatment. All doctors ,nurses and other staff have been extremely professional, informative, and courteous.

On the other hand the discharge policy is extremely slow and innefficirnt. Most patiens sit around for most of the day waiting for paperwork or pharamaceuticals. This entails eating two meals as well as blocking a bed for the day. The patient opposite me (bed 1 ward e14) was told that he could leave at 6 am and was still waiting at 6 pm for his paperwork. In the end he left and was told to come back the next day for his papers. Has the NHS not discovered e:mail? He was also waiting for pharameuticals which he believed were probably paracetomol. As he said he could buy these from Morrison's for 22p. What is it with the Pharmacy?

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 08 November 2014

Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback, we value patient’s opinions and observations and use them to assist us with service improvement. The observation you made around our lengthy discharge process is one that we are fully aware of as a team on E14 and wider afield across the Trust. As a ward we feel strongly about making sure that our patients get discharged in a timely manner and with their ETTO, but acknowledge we need to have a better management plan in order for this to happen.

There is an extensive piece of work currently ongoing looking at the discharge process and how to alleviate its blockages and obstacles. Within Digestive Diseases and Thoracics the Senior Nursing and Medical team along with the Ward Sisters are in the process of devising a standard operating procedure for each ward to use and follow every day. It includes actions to be used to plan discharge in a more effective way, which involves the preparation of prescriptions to take home further in advance of discharge than on the actual day where possible. We are also aware that we don’t always communicate adequately with patients and relatives what needs to happen prior to a safe discharge and what is causing delays. Wards have been asked to identify key people responsible for discharges during a shift, for purposes of monitoring progress and a point of contact for patients and relatives. We are also working closely with other departments in the Trust who contribute to a patient’s safe discharge, pharmacy and transport, in order to improve the experience for the patient and relatives.

Louise Challans, Patient Feedback Nurse DDT.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Parking nightmare

Son sent to A&e by school. Drove here as soon as I could to find no parking. Then trapped. No one can help, you just have to wait. One hour later parked. What if it had been life threatening. This is shocking

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 10 November 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 November 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of the difficulties that you had with finding somewhere to park at our hospital, particularly at a time when you were worried about your son. We know that our patients, visitors and staff have experienced parking problems in recent weeks at QMC, caused by congestion on the roads around the hospital, and we apologise for this. We had already acted to add 'no stopping' hatched areas to the inner ring road to minimise blockages during busy times and keep the flow of traffic. We have now taken further action to improve the current situation by changing the allocation of car parks to have dedicated car parks for patients and visitors and staff. We are continuing to monitor the situation with parking to look at how we can further improve access for everyone.