Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

John Brown gave Ophthalmology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cataract operation

I recently underwent a cataract operation and would like to thank every member of the ophthalmology dept. They were both friendly and professional and paid a huge amount of attention to the people who were lining up for their ops, making sure the diabetics amongst us had eaten properly and explaining all the procedures thoroughly. Tea coffee and biscuits were provided free and the cafe served very good food at good prices. I was very apprehensive about the operation but the Surgeon put me at ease from the start and I have absolutely no worries about the next one for my other eye. Well done to you all

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 February 2017

This is good to hear. Thanks for writing in. I’ve shared this feedback with the ophthalmology team, who send their best wishes.
Best wishes
Keith Knox
Matron, Eye Ear Nose and Throat

Jayesh Bhatt gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

very good experince at emergency department

i had to attend the emergency department on the morning of 1st Feb 2017 with a very swollen painful foot.
The whole treatment pathway was very efficient and everyone from the receptionist to the consultant who treatment were absolutely superb.
In particular the Consultant was very professional; caring and efficient despite the department being very busy.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Thank you for getting in touch. The team in our Emergency Department are grateful for your feedback and hope your foot gets better soon.

Matron, Emergency Department

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Adult a&e

I visited adult a&e with chest pain. During my visit I only had 1 set of observations during the 6 hours that I was there. When I had my ecg the bed I was on had blood on it, it hadn't been cleaned. When I received my ecg back it had the wrong name on which they then scribbled out and just wrote my name on and It also had the wrong date of birth on. When questioned they didn't seem bothered at all. They never looked into my pain at all they literally did an ecg then made me leave. I understand they are busy as they have other things behind the scene but when I came out in felt even more worried than when I did when I arrived, I didn't feel cared for properly at all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 06 February 2017

I’m concerned to read your message and apologise that you left our Emergency Department more worried than when you arrived. This is not what we would wish for any of our patients. Please get in touch with me if you would like to talk about any of these concerns further.
Matron, Emergency Department

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

A more joined up approach between midwives & consultants

I have had fairly positive experiences on a personal level with midwives, consultants and community midwives. However, I went for a scan (31+3) today thinking I would find out if my placenta had moved up. I was told by the sonographer midwife that they were not trained to check this and I was only booked in for a growth scan.

I then saw my consultant who said that according to the report, my placenta was still low.
as a person who isn't trained to look at placentas I would be surprised if the sonographer midwife had checked it and put that on my report today. I assume that sonographer midwife copied that from my previous 20 week scan report.

The consultant said there is still a chance I will need a C section. My community midwife said the only suggest C sections where the placenta obscures the neck of the womb which mine does not - according to the sonographer who did my 20 week scan. But I don't know who is right or who to trust.

Also, hand written (rather than digital) notes make it difficult for my community midwife to follow what the Consultant has recorded because the handwriting is difficult to make out.

This all makes for a very confusing experience and I'm left in limbo not knowing or being reassured about how whether or not I'll have a natural birth which is a big concern for me.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 February 2017

Thank you for getting in touch. I’m pleased your experience has been mostly positive, though sorry that you have been left confused by the advice of the consultant and midwife. I would be happy to try and help get this straightened out for you – please get in touch with me if you’d like to talk. You can email your details to the patient experience team at QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk and they will pass them along to me.

Clare O’Callaghan
Matron, Community Midwifery & Antenatal

K Rowe gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Experience in A&E

I am a student who ended up in A&E alone and in a very vulnerable state a few nights ago after a mental health crisis. I was seen quickly and was treated with the utmost kindness and I cannot thank the staff enough for everything they did to help me. So many little acts of kindness, from plaiting my hair to just sitting with me whilst I was being sick made all the difference and made me feel so much less alone. I had been terrified at the prospect of going into A&E but the care I received was exemplary and although it was a very unpleasant few days, the empathy and kindness of many of the staff members was definitely a positive outcome and has really helped my recovery. Am so so grateful for the staff members I saw at both A&E and in the wards for their care and concern, it made all the difference.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 February 2017

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience with us. I am pleased to read that we looked after you well and with such kindness during what sounds like a difficult time for you. I’ve shared your comment with the team, who are each grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch.
Matron, Emergency Department

Grateful 1 gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Nurses, Doctors and staff

Nobody wants to visit hospital - but my experience when accompanying an emergency admission was more than adequate. Thoughtful, polite and good natured staff (even when under enormous pressure of numbers) looked after the patient very well, and acted professionally too.

Yes we were there a while - but given the priority you would expect in an Emergency Department we were totally happy to wait as many worse cases needed more urgent treatment.

Some other ' inmates' were unreasonably demanding and I felt for the staff who had to deal with awkward and vociferous people. Perhaps through pain, or drink/drugs, but this was an eye opener of what staff have to cope with every hour, every day.

All we hear about is budgets and problems - but in spite of all this the Emergency team provided a wonderful service. Thank you.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 February 2017

Thank you for your kind words, your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the Emergency Department team, we all send our appreciation and best wishes.

Matron, Emergency Department

mick5039 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

The service has been very very good

My wife is very ill, extremely weak and in receipt of a fairly intensive care package, As a result we have come in frequent contact with the social services, community nurses, occupational therapists, physio's etc etc.
I can honestly say that the service we have received from all parties has been very very good. As a carer I have had help and advice whenever I have requested it, with sympathy and understanding, and most importantly, with positive results. In particular I mention Emma (social services) Amy and Helen (occupational therapists) and Linda (nursing Service) who have all been outstanding in their dealings with me.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Andrew Steggles, Acting Patient Information Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment and your positive feedback on services. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent until we had to leave

I accompanied my daughter for day treatment and our treatment by everyone from Consultant Surgeon to all on the ward staff was close to perfect - many thanks.

Then we returned to the car to find the ticket machine accepting only coins and, of course, we didn't have £6 in coins. People were milling around complaining and after I got some change we joined the queue at the barrier.

There was a queue because there was no discernible arrow or marking on the ticket to show in which way it should be put into the machine. You would be surprised how many ways there are - and each brought the message "Card inserted wrong" (sic). We did escape but later we might not have been able to change money into coins.

May I suggest:

1. Adopt the system in use at Kings Mill where the ticket machine is in the main building and accepts, cards, notes and coins.

2. In the interim, put notices in prominent places telling people that they will need coins for parking.

3. Mark the tickets to show, clearly, the correct way to offer the ticket to the machine.

4. Correct the error message to read "wrongly".

In summary a truly excellent visit spoiled by the annoyances at the car park, thanks to all the medical staff involved.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for your comment in which you detail your concerns regarding your experience at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (NUH). Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We are aware that this is an area which requires urgent attention Carillion who provide car parking and traffic management have agreed to invest significant capital to improve the Trust’s car parking infrastructure and traffic management over the coming months, your comments will be passed to them for consideration.

Paula Charlton
Soft FM Performance and QA Compliance Officer, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust

Shane gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cataract operation

My Mother recently had a cataract operation on Day case A floor EENT and I just wanted to say how thoroughly impressed and pleased we both were with everything. apart from a long wait (which obviously couldn't be helped, we weren't the only ones and there had to be an order of patients.)
A big mention has to go to the staff who probably don't get the credit they deserve, they're friendly, they make you feel cared for, involved, make sure you understand and go above and beyond their job duties in my opinion.

A special mention has to go to one particular nurse who continuously put my mother at ease, she was extremely nervous and worried about what was to come but the nurse, not once but on several occasions kept popping over to check on her and make sure she was ok, talking to her about other things such as the weather, holidays etc and at the same time explaining the process and what would or wouldn't happen. You could tell they genuinely cared and wasn't 'just doing their job' I can't thank the nurse enough for that.
Once my mother was called through to have the op she says she was again reassured by the staff and although the procedure took a little longer than planned she says she doesn't know why she was so worried and everything from start to finish was quick and painless.
I could write all day about the credit due to all the staff from the receptionist, the nurse,the nurse who took her through for the op to the consultant and the nurse who was assisting the consultant. Top Team who all deserve praise, Well Done!
Once Again Thank You.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for your comment - it's great to receive feedback on services. I'm glad your mother felt at ease and had a positive experience at our clinic. I will share your comments and praise with the team.

Best wishes,
Sue Mazengarb
Ward Manager - Eye Day Case Unit

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

A23 Outpatient

I recently attended the early pregnancy unit following some abdominal pain at 8 weeks gestation.
I was initially seen by a nurse who was very kind and considerate and took their time to identify what had been happening in the pregnancy so far. I was taken through for a scan and met the sonographer, they were very thorough and explained what they had found on the scan in much detail. The scan showed that the embryo was measuring 5 weeks gestation and I would require a rescan in 1 week.
On returning 1 week later I met a nurse who took my through for my second scan. The scan showed that there had been no growth and the embryo still had no heartbeat. It was bad news, I was experiencing a missed miscarriage. The nurse took me into a room, in such a difficult circumstance I cannot thank them enough, the nurse was kind, compassionate and very sensitive. The nurse discussed my options in great depth and gave me and my partner plenty of time to make an informed decision. The nurse even went out of their way to arrange for me to have an outpatient medical management that day. Thank you!.
Following this, I felt my experience was let down by the care of staff. I was called back to A23 outpatients to undergo my treatment. I was taken into a room where the nurse did not introduce themselves and finished eating their skittles before talking. The nurse did not sympathise with what was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through, and stated that it was unusual for someone to have outpatient treatment. The nurse went on to say that no one would be there to check if 'it' had come out and was generally really dismissive at answering most of my questions, told me to take my trousers off and go under the sheet, where they left. Within the space of 40 minutes I met a further 4 people, two performing my observations, a doctor who unnecessarily entered to prescribe already prescribed pain relief and a nurse that finally administered my treatment. Throughout this process, the curtain was regularly left open, leaving me feeling very exposed. I felt my care was very task orientated and I was not able to build a rapport with one individual in such a sensitive situation. Overnight and the next morning I spoke over the phone with two separate nurses, who both gave me reassurance and advice, sensitively answering questions I asked. Thank you.
I understand it can be a very difficult job working within what can be such an emotionally draining clinical area (I work in one myself). I do however feel that it is possible that potentially individuals who I came in contact with have become de-sensitised to their working environment. It is easy to lose sight of the reasons you entered into such a privileged job. Going through such a horrible time in my life was not made easier with the thought of having to reattend A23 to undergo a D&C having such a negative days before.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Thank you for your comments. We’re very sorry to hear about your experience on A23. Sarah Kordula, Ward Manager, would like to speak with you directly about your experience. Please can you contact her on either 0115 9249924 ext:62769 or on Sarah.Kordula@nuh.nhs.uk