Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

ENT Clinic

I have visited the ENT Clinic several times. Just wanted to comment on my experience of the Aural Care Centre.
I have found the nursing staff to be very caring, understanding & professional.Their 'expert' attention has been very much appreciated on each occasion. Thank you!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 02 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 August 2015

Thank you. It’s great to hear you found our nursing staff to be so caring and professional. I will share your comments with the team involved in your care.

Thanks again,
Hannah Docherty.
Matron, Head and Neck.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Advice from the allergy nurse

We were recently contacted by the allergy nurse at Queens following skin prick testing for our son. The nurse provided me with some valuable information regarding the nature of allergies vs intolerance, likely prognosis and information about how we can manage his allergies and help him overcome them at home.
The nurse also explained in detail the process of the skin prick testing and what the results actually mean.
This information has not been provided in the same level of detail from other services. The nurse was also able to give me information about my other's sons allergies, for which we have had had no advice from services.
The fact that the nurse was so easy to contact, the timely nature of the contact, the detail of the conversation and the opportunity to ask questions in person were the things that made the experience so positive for me and our family. The advice has had a big impact on how we will manage their allergies at home.
Thank you.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 28 July 2015

Hello. Thank you for the lovely feedback. It’s great to know you have been kept well informed and I am glad to hear what a difference our care has made to you and your son. I have shared your feedback with the team involved.

Bev Brady.
Matron, Respiratory Medicine.

Fed up gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

You're no more than a number!

I have been waiting months for an implant trial. I was told it would happen in July. Halfway through July I call the co ordinator as I'd heard absolutely nothing. I ask when it's going to be as my daughter is in the Royal Navy and has to take special leave to look after my other children whilst I'm in hospital. I'm told it's 18th August instead but no one bothered to tell me! However That was ok as my daughter was able to get the special leave granted. The last working day before the pre op I'm called to tell me it's been cancelled as they didn't realise one of the staff was on holiday but it's ok it's now 14th October! No it's not ok as I've explained several times before! Amazing they just managed to realise in time before I had my pre op! I'm sure anyone with a single brain cell can work out in a nanosecond this was a huge lie.
When I first attended, I told the staff and it was written down that my daughter will be away for 9 months from October. They said they would book the trial and the permanent before October. When I called them in July, I told them this again. But actually what's the point in bothering at all? No one listens because you're just a number on a conveyor belt to them. They don't rightly care who's looking after your children one of which is disabled while I'm away. Do I leave them home alone? No because any decent mother would never do that so yet again it's down to putting my children first because of hospital staff who couldn't care less about anyone.
I'm not stupid, I was a registered Nurse for 25 years. I know the score that those that shout loudest get shoved up the list and everyone else gets shoved off regardless of the difficulties it's making to them. No one books surgery without first checking the staff are actually on duty. Do you really expect me to believe that?
My line manager has offered to take a week off work to look after my children! Except he'll book that and then it'll be cancelled again to cater for those shouting loudest so what's the point in accepting? It's pretty bad that my line manager cares for my children's welfare more than hospital staff?
I'm also writing to the chief executive. 25 years working for the NHS, injured on duty, never claimed a penny and now treated like this by the very organisation I worked for. Disgraceful.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 August 2015

I am saddened to read your experience and apologise profusely for what has occurred and disruption and inconvenience caused. I’d like to talk to you about your experience directly so that I can provide you with the answers you deserve and ensure we can, I hope, agree a way forward. If you wish me to take this further, please do get in touch on 0115 9249925 Ext 64217 or email sarah.moppett@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Moppett.
Clinical lead, MSKN.

Richard Knowles gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

7 day stay Ward C6

I am a 70 year old emergency trauma patient who had smashed my elbow and broken my shoulder. all through the process i was cared for and supported in a unique situation for me. It was my first general anesthetic and broken bones experience. Most of my expectations were managed, though the staff were very busy they always found time for support and empathy. the only downside was i needed a second operation to clean and close my wound. i was unfortunately on the operating list for three days so the first two days i did not get to drink or eat in those days until til late evening - after cancellation. It was six in the evening on the third day when I eventually had the procedure. i appreciate the operating theaters are for trauma patients and urgent cases take preference but my expectations on that part were not manged well and did eventually stress me particularly as it was a small procedure and had the op been done on the first day i could have gone home two days earlier with a bed being freed up!
My main impression is generally how wonderful the staff were exceeding what i thought!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 04 August 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Emergency Gynaecology and Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit

I had appointment this morning for the scan,for failed pregnancy.It was a second scan to make sure it is right,as first scan two weeks before already showed failed pregnancy.The appointment started at 10am.After the scan it was confirmed the worst,and after short talk with nurse me and my husband been advised to wait for a consultant/doctor for more information and options in a waiting room.We have been waiting for a consultant/doctor for a 5 hours!! with no avail.Asking at the reception every hour for how much longer we have to wait as it is 5 hours we have been waiting already! And every time we been told no longer than another half an hour.But after 5 hours we decided to leave without any results as could not bare to spend another hour in that waiting room and also my husband needed to go to work.So still do not know what happened with my pregnancy and what should i do in this situation.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 07 July 2015

I am sorry to hear that you experienced excessive waits four results, which must have made an already difficult situation even more stressful for you and your husband. We would like to look into your concerns fully. To do so, we will need some additional information. If you’d like, you can get in touch with me by contacting 0115 9249924 ext. 67130 or emailing Benita.brear@nuh.nhs.uk, I will ensure this is investigated for you.

Benita Brear.
Matron, Gynaecology.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor care standards

I have to say I very disappointed with the care my premature baby has received and is still receiving now. Today we had an appointment for a scan for which a GA was needed. The anaesthetist was extremely rude, horrid, disrespectful, no compassion. We waited 8 hours until we were finally seen, where we had to threaten to leave before anything could get done; the anaesthetist apparently decided who they see on which order, our baby was last on the list. Screaming the place down because he wanted food.
On the ward, there was no organisation or leadership at all, no concern for our baby, no facilities for us, Just a water fountain would have sufficed.
As television crews and apparently royalty were in the building and possibly visiting the ward, something strange happened in that there were agency staff actually cleaning! Something we saw very little of during our four month stay in the hospital.
Too much of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Seemed quite short staffed, dreading the fact we are going to be on that ward again. This is just one of the terrible experiences of many we have had so far in the last 6 months. There is no hope.
It's also strange how you are meant to be able to have the choice of where to be treated, in actual fact, it's not true, catchment comes into it! So why give people the choice in the first place?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 10 July 2015

I am concerned to read your comments, especially those about cleanliness standards, your perception of how the ward is run and organised and those about poor staff attitudes. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you, please, to discuss further so that we can address your concerns. You can speak to me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 66872 or email Barbara.linley@nuh.nhs.uk.
Alternatively, if you are still on the ward and you would prefer, you can speak to the ward manager.

Barbara Linley.
Matron, Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Ward 23 early pregnancy emergency

I was 7 weeks pregnant when I had a heavy bleeding on a Sunday night few weeks ago for which I went through the A&E to be checked. I have to say I was treated very well by the staff and while waiting for a gynecologist I had the tests that I needed done and was monitored in case of need. The only negative point was the waiting time to have the final visit (from 10pm to 3am) because there was only one gynecologist in the hospital who was righteously in a surgical theatre. The visit seemed to be fine and I was also offered a scan on the following day which highlighted that the problem should have come to an end and the embryo was fine. There are two negative points here: I was told the scan results by a nurse, which was not the person who carried out the scan and these results were discussed in a little room without space to seat fir the nurse making you feel uncomfortable to ask more questions, while in fact you have many interrogatives in your mind. I was also told that additional bleeding of a certain kind was fine and I only had to call back if these was heavier/of a certain kind bleeding. I discovered yesterday for an emergency at another hospital (as in the end I was still worried and decided to be checked again), that the embryo died 1 week ago (2-3 days after the visit at QMC). I kept having smaller blood losses after the visit, but did not dare to call for that, because I was told it was fine and for this reason I wanted to avoid giving any "useless" disturb. I know nothing could have been done by anybody to prevent what happened, but I would have had really appreciated to discover it earlier and be given the attention/care I actually needed. Thank you for taking this into consideration. I am writing because I would really like to avoid other women to feel the same.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 17 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 July 2015

Thank you for getting in touch to share your personal experience with us. I would like to offer condolences for the sad news you received. It is concerning to hear that you felt uncomfortable and unable to ask questions when discussing your scan results. This must have been an incredibly worrying time for you, and feeling able to communicate with staff is even more important in these circumstances. I would be happy to talk through your questions and concerns so that we can learn from your experience and as you say, ensure other women get a better experience in our care. If you would like to get in touch with me, you are welcome to do so on 0115 9249924 ext. 62769 or email sarah.kordula@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Kordula.
Ward manager, A23.

Anonymous gave Immunology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Very impressed with the courtesy and efficiency .

As a day patient I was very comfortable with the approach and competence of all the staff I encountered on my recent visit. Everything was explained in detail with no sense of being rushed and an additional test was done a short notice to ensure that the recommended treatment was unlikely to cause problems.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 19 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 July 2015

Thank you. I would like to share your feedback with the staff involved in your care. Would you be able to get in touch with some further information so that I can do this? You can contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Kennedy,
Patient experience officer.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

discharging me because they changed appoinments

I was due to go and see a consultant in ENT about hearing loss and chronic tinnitus
but they kept moving my appointment forward to different consultants, I never got to see anyone and they discharged me
I have to have someone come with me as I have other serious issues, yes I did have to change appointment once but it was for two days time? not enough for me to sort
been treated with disdain the whole time

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 20 July 2015

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Your comments are noted. If you are ever having trouble with appointments you can contact our PALS team on 0800 183 0204 or PALS@nuh.nhs.uk. However, I would be keen to discuss your concerns with you directly, particularly as your message seems to suggest you were discharged without treatment. If you wish, you can contact me on 0115 9249924 ext. 66459 or email Hannah.docherty@nuh.nhs.uk.

Hannah Docherty.
Matron, Head and Neck.

Nicky White gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Queens day care unitl

Had an operation here today and the staff and facilities were excellent. I was made to feel relaxed and new I could ask any questions. All my treatment was talked through with me and the surgical team were absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 16 July 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 17 July 2015

Hi Nicky. Thanks for taking time to get in touch with us. It’s great to hear you felt well looked after and my colleagues kept you well informed throughout your treatment. I’ve shared your thanks with the team.

Sarah Moppett