Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

horrified patient reviewed Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Horrified at way Dr spoke to me

Last year I saw a consultant. After received steroids at the LRI I ended up with an abscess in my left parotid gland. Whilst taking the steroids I lost a lot of weight and muscle, developed osteoarthritis on top of the abscess. The consultant took an MRI scan asked some questions and said he thought it was ok now. He gave me an appt for 12 months but doubted I'd need it. I came back for the 12 months appt to be seen by what I assume was a junior Dr. The lady who accompanied me to Drs room stayed in the room. I could not belive what this Dr said to me and the hostile manner she said it. She checked the gland and lymph nodes, then she said 'look at the state of you, if we have to take the gland out you will be left with your face hanging down. I was speachless and just made a comment of living on my own. The woman who stayed in the room just shrieked 'oh my god'. I just walked out in shock. Oh dear as I have adrenal problems I should have taken steroids for the shock, but if I do another parotid gland infection and more joint pain. I think of this visit every day and end up in tears.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Kate Garner gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wisdom tooth extraction

I had my top left wisdom tooth removed this afternoon. There were lots of people in the room with me, all very supportive, chatty, friendly and caring. The doctor was very reassuring as this was my first time having any kind of oral surgery. I felt a bit panicked when I had the anaesthetic in the roof of my mouth but they didn't rush me, they made sure I was really comfortable. They explained what was happening at each stage. The tooth extraction was quick and painless. I love the NHS, and especially in Nottingham - all the doctors and nurses here are amazing at their jobs and always show a very high level of skill and care. Thank you.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Shaun gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Unusual abbesses under 4 teeth

It would appear that this unit doesn’t cater for persons in pain and discomfort in the present. I’ve had abbesses under 4 teeth first reported as abnormal and requiring urgent on the 8th of August via fax (who uses fax in the 21st century? As the only method of transfer of document?) I received a letter ! from Maxillo-Facial surgery on th 26th August ( 20 days) askin my to ring appointments for a date. Rang today and was given the 22 of September! that’s 46 days plus the tow weeks in pain for my dentist to ask for help form Maxillo-facial, so it takes about 56 days of pain to see a “consultant”! and people say the NHS is on its last legs..

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Update on my wife's condition or treatment

Further to my previous review - Thanks to the local intervention of a senior member nursing staff on Ward 10, cajoling, sweet talk etc the current issue has been resolved. However I believe that QMC management should be both aware and addressing the communication route, especially when, as in this case, the patient is unable to be part of the process.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 August 2014

Peter Weston gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

No information given on my wife's condition or treatment

My wife was re-admitted to ward d10 after her condition deteriurated considerably in previous treatment in early June 2014;

Apart from the initial chat with the doctor who admitted her, he wanted to know her history, it was virtually impossible to speak to any of the medical staff regarding her condition.

During visiting times, her nurses seemed unable to arrange a meeting with any of her doctors - The doctors were always too busy, I tried to ring up out of hours to arrange a meeting, but the phone was never answered.

I tried to contact her consulant's secretary but the phone was not answered, and my calls were not returned, even though messages were left.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Anonymous gave Orthotics and Prosthetics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Orthotics

I telephoned the Orthotics department regarding new shoes for my mother. I was very impressed by the person I spoke to. He found my mothers details quickly and ordered new shoes to be delivered to her home in less than 2 weeks. Brilliant service! Thank you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Highs and lows - Emergency operation and recovery at QMC

I was admitted to hospital on 16th December 2013 and diagnosed with acute Ulcerative Colitis. After failing all medical treatment I underwent an emergency colectomy with ileostomy. I spent time in four wards throughout my stay: B3, F21, E12 (HDU) and E14 and in all but one, I received a brilliant level of care.

On the whole, my care at the QMC was exemplary. Upon admission I was promptly seen by a consultant. After spending a few nights on B3 and receiving a good level of care I was transferred to F21.

I cannot say thank you enough to the staff on F21. Every one of the nurses was compassionate, hard-working and attentive despite the busy nature of the ward and it being the run-up to the Christmas period. The ward was decorated for Christmas and all staff did their best to keep up a festive spirit. I was scared about the possibility of surgery and not only did the nurses provide top medical care, but also took the time to reassure me. They treated everybody with dignity and respect. They were very welcoming to my visitors.

The gastroenterologists and later the consultant surgeon who treated me explained everything thoroughly and were extremely caring and understanding throughout. When I didn't understand things they'd told me they were always prepared to explain again. My consultant surgeon even came and spoke to me on New Year's Day before operating on Jan 2nd. I cannot thank her enough - not only for saving my life! But also for talking to me with real sympathy and honesty that made such a difficult situation a lot more bearable.

The care I received in E12 (HDU) was of a very high standard and I was looked after brilliantly throughout.

However, I cannot honestly say the same for the care I received in E14. Sadly, after what was a largely positive stay, the week I spent in E14 left me desperate to leave. Several staff members in particular were rude and very unkind. Pain relief was woefully inadequate and always late - I was left, 5 days after open abdominal surgery, without any relief for 7 hours before it became so intolerable a doctor had to administer an emergency dose of IV morphine. Nurses argued openly in front of me about my care. One older lady was left for 90 mins+ needing the toilet (until she was crying and begging) - nurses came regularly to snap at her that they were busy, and she'd have to wait. Even the Christian 'support' people were terribly rude and when I said I wanted to attend a church service in a bed or chair (I was still bedbound at this point) they told me to 'stop making such a big deal and walk'. One morning I got out of bed, my bed was stripped then left unmade for 8 hours. My new stoma bag (full of my own faeces) leaked onto my open wound and when I asked a nurse to help me change it, she told me she needed her lunch break. There are more stories, but I've run out of characters.

In short, the majority of my care was excellent, but E14 let the whole stay down. I would be terrified to ever return to that ward.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 22 August 2014

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor level of service

I was referred to ward C32 as an emergency by my GP with a ovarian cyst which was scanned on 6th August ast 10.5cm by 7.5cm. The service was poor, the liaison between staff was uncoordinated and the communication between staff on the team was equally poor, with none of them knowing what colleagues had already attended to during my visit. I was in extreme pain, with escalating symptoms and was treated as through I was making the symptoms up and didn't feel as I was taken seriously at all. As my GP had not previouly take blood samples these were take but were used as an excuse not to progress any treatment and I was left wiaitng for over an hour for an appointment for me to be made for a further scan and to see a consultant after my blood tests are back. I left without an appointment being told that they would fax the Treatment Centre with my details with a an appt wthin 2 to 3 weeks which was not what the Dr who had seen me had stated - the doctor had stated that the appointment would be after 3 days when the blood tests were back. I am still in agony and trying to stay at work, the pain is getting worse and I can no longer do my trousers up and as such believe that the cyst is continuing to enlarge as the symptoms continue to get worse.

The ward and staff were scruffy and there was no professionalism amongst them - many of them seemed to stand around doing nothing and nothing was explained to me in terms of the process or order events that would take place. The first nurse I saw did advise me that I would not be left to go home in the pain that I was in but this was not true or accurate. In short I feel that it was appaling.

Having spoken to the Treatment Centre Gynacology unit today I have been advised that this is how many patients feel after being dealt with on ward C32 - they said they would do their very best to get me in as clearly there was a risk that the cyst could burst if it is contining to grow and cause problems - Ward C32 advised me if the pain increased or any bleefing occured to go to A&E - this does not feel appropriate in terms of patient care and preventing what my GP was trying to do i.e. manage the issue in a controlled way without an admission to A&E.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Car Parking

Car parking awful. If going to fracture clinic, by definition with broken bits, you have to walk from one side of hospital ( car park 3) to to the other. Can never get into car park one.
Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback and helpful suggestion. We do appreciate that car parking is particularly problematic at the busiest times at QMC and are working to find solutions. We are investing in a new multi-storey car park at QMC which will further increase car parking spaces on site next year and of course the arrival of the tram early 2015 will improve access to the hospital for everyone – patients, visitors and staff. We also encourage those who are able to use our free shuttle bus service (called the Medilink) to get to our hospital.

Car Parking

Why not reserve car park one for fracture clinic?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014