Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Missyelliott gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely fantastic

My beautiful first and only grandson 8 days old was taken ill and admitted on the assessment unit E37 my goodness first class service they have been fantastic pure excellence from the domestic staff, student nurses, consultants, Nursing staff everyone else. We had first class treatment re-assured all the way and they are doing their best to bring the little man's temp and heart rate down. Couldn't have asked for more.Big up ward E37 you have all been fantastic, excellent care,excellent skills and professionalism and I will thank you all in person. Thank you thank you from your fellow NHS front line worker. God bless you and keep you safe. Love from Shiloh, grannie and his parents once again thank from the bottom of my heart for the excellent work you do.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 06 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 08 July 2016

Thank you from all of us on E37 for this lovely feedback. It’s great to hear from you during what I know must be such a difficult time for you and your family.

Wishing you all the best.

Rachel Barker
Ward Manager, E37

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Noticeably worse than my local hospital

My relative was transferred to QMC from our local hospital. We were pretty surprised at how much worse QMC was than our local hospital. First of all it's a nightmare to find your way around - even finding the entrance is difficult! The signing needs to be improved. Also the building just doesn't look very clean - we used the toilets and they were smelly and awful. There aren't many anti bacterial girl dispensers. Also the cleanliness on the ward wasn't as good. I saw a couple of incidences when stuff was picked up off the floor and then placed on the chair the patient was using. The visitors room/balcony stank of cigarette smoke. All these issues led me to be concerned about the overall cleanliness of the place. Was also very disappointed that we weren't allowed to look at my dads notes! In my local hospital we can see them whenever we like. Asked to speak to a doctor but they never turned up. Also I couldn't get info about how my dad was over the phone. In addition the visiting hours are much shorter! It's just worse in every way than our local hospital! Can't wait for my relative to be transferred back!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 July 2016

I appreciate your letter.

Might you please get in touch to share which ward your relative is on so that I can look into your concerns about standards of cleanliness.
We accept we have more work to do to ensure our hospitals are consistently clean and are working with Carillion, our partners who provide Estates and Facilities services, to raise standards to the required level across QMC and City Hospital.

I fully agree with you about the need to review signage at our hospitals to make wayfinding as easy as possible for patients and their families. There is work underway to improve information on patient appointment letters and signage in response to patient feedback.

You can get in touch with me directly via ann-marie.riley@nuh.nhs.uk to discuss your concerns more fully or speak to the ward manager when you visit.

Ann-Marie Riley
Deputy Chief Nurse (Operations)

Anonymous gave Vascular surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Qmc treatment centre Excellent?

My daughter went to the QMC treatment centre yesterday afternoon 8th July for an operation. I just wanted to say thank you to all the staff that we came into contact with, they were all very helpful and explained everything that was going to happen throughout the afternoon. She didn't have to wait long and a special thank you to a member of staff who kept us both laughing for the whole of our visit, they are lovely. In fact the whole team were brilliant from the doctor, the lady that fetched her for the operation and the member of staff who cared for her all afternoon. Thank you so much.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 09 July 2016

Thank you. The Treatment Centre on the QMC campus is managed by Circle rather than NUH. I will share your comments with them. Should you wish to contact them directly you can email them on pals.nottingham@circlepartnership.co.uk

Sarah Kennedy.
Patient Experience Officer.

Tickedoff reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Bad attitude

I was admitted to the QMC's A&E Department with chest pains and couldn't breathe. I have COPD. I had rang 111 who got NEMS to call me. They told me to ring 999.
The paramedics who attended were brilliant and efficient as were the nursing staff. The issue I have got is with the doctor who treated me. They tried to infer it was trapped wind - I know the difference - then they dug their fingers deep into my stomach and chest intent. Three times they promised me pain relief, it never came. They came up to me and said I was going for 'the' X ray, inferring that he had told me about it. He hadn't.
At the end they told me that I had a severe chest infection and a shadow on my lung. They gave me a prescription for antibiotics and left me to walk the entire length of the hospital and halfway back again to get it filled, knowing that I could barely breathe and was in a lot of pain.
I was seen in the Gent's fighting for breath by someone who reported it to security, who came looking for me to see if I was alright.
I know that the department was busy. But that doesn't excuse this doctors attitude which in my opinion, was completely uncaring, patronising, arrogant, repugnant and abysmal.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 12 July 2016

Thank you for writing. I am sorry that the manner and attitude of one of our consultants impacted adversely on your experience. I would like to talk further so we get more details that will allow us to speak to the individual concerned. By having such conversations and reflecting on our behaviour, we hope to avoid a repeat in the future. You can contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 63700 or by email to lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk.
Lucy Thow
Matron, Emergency Department

Patient Opinion Logo

Katie Bird gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Super Service

My whole experience has been a lovely one, from A&E to D8 ward to operating staff to recovery NSPU ward. Everyone was so nice, caring and allowed me keep my dignity in some very uncomfortable situations. I can see the staff work very hard and still felt they had time for me and my care. Thank you all so much for you care and support in my care and recovery

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 July 2016

Thanks so much for taking the time to get in touch. You are right; our staff do work incredibly hard, very often going above and beyond what we can reasonably expect. Even in these challenging circumstances and on the busiest of days, it remains our focus to do the best possible job for patients. It’s good to hear when we get this right, as in your case. I have shared your lovely feedback with staff on D8, NPSU and our Emergency Department.

Thank you once again for your message.

Wishing you well

Best wishes,

Michelle Pugh
Ward Manager D8

Gilly B gave Neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service!!

Following a referral by my doctor, was relieved to be seen within an 8 week window and what superb service I received at my appointment today.My appointment (Clinic 2, Neurology) was at 11.25 and at 11.24 I was welcomed by the consultant who immediately put me at my ease and quickly and efficiently discussed the symptoms causing me concern. They were both empathetic and reassuring and were able to make a fairly speedy diagnosis with recommendations on treatment and promise of a scan within the next 6 weeks. I personally do not think l would have been treated any better even had l paid privately and thank goodness for our excellent NHS which continues to struggle on despite the odds!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 July 2016

Excellent news. Thanks so much for writing in and sharing your good experience. I will share your kind feedback with my neurology outpatients colleagues.
Wishing you all the best and a good weekend,

Penny Tindall,
Matron, Neurology & Neurosurgery

IRT gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Taken to A&E by ambulance following car collision

The staff were excellent - they spotted that we were unlikely to need any more than a check-over and quietly fast tracked us through this procedure. The doctor we saw was excellent - friendly and thorough despite frustration with some computers not working.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 16 July 2016

I appreciate your message, which I’ve shared them with the Emergency Department team.
Sending my regards.

Lucy Thow
Matron, Emergency Department

Clare Hodgkinson gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Can not give enough praise!

My daughter Lucy was rushed in by ambulance on 13th July with undiagnosed abdominal pain and vomiting. I really can not give enough praise and show my appreciation to every single person we came into contact. Over the course of the three days we spent there we were cared for by upto 30 different members of staff from nurses, doctors, consultants auxiliaries the hospital school and many many more. Every single person went the extra mile to make sure my daughter was given the best possible care, 2nd to none. The ward we stayed on (D35) was extremely busy with very sick children but the hardworking staff made sure that everyone was looked after and had what they needed to make the best of the difficult situation they were in. The smiling, warm and caring nature of the nurses, consultants, surgeons and all the staff put both mine and my daughters mind at rest that she would receive the very best treatment for her to get better and recover well. I can not thank you all enough! Please share this with the ward and people who we came into contact with, so very often people only hear the negatives when things go wrong and the positives go unnoticed or unsaid. I feel extremely grateful for such a wonderful NHS service and their dedicated staff. Thank you so much ??

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 16 July 2016

Thank you so much. It’s my pleasure to share your message with my colleagues (especially the team on D35), so that they know their hard work and dedication is appreciated. We all wish you and your daughter all the very best.

Rachel Barker
Matron, Nottingham Children’s Hospital

CarrieAnn reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Food at QMC

Absolutely abysmal. Have you ever had grey salmon? Dried out mashed potatoes, generally unappetising food. Really, it is disgusting. Food should look appetising and taste good. Shame on you.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 July 2016

I’m sorry to hear this was your experience. I will share this feedback with our catering service and make them aware of your concerns. It would help to know when you were in hospital and which ward you spent time on. If you’d like to share that information, you can get in touch with me by email to andrew.steggles@nuh.nhs.uk.

Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals

Kelly Woolley gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant A&E Children's Department

I took my daughter who is 3 years old to QMC A&E yeserday afternoon (19/7/2016) She had been bitten by a dog on her face, it wasn't a serious bite but it still wasn't nice. The staff was amazing, the reception staff was quick and polite, there was hardly any waiting time and we got seen to straight away. All the nursers and doctors really made my daughter feel really comfortable and took her attention away from the pain, they even made an effort with my other daughter who was with me who is now obsessed with playing doctors. They did a brilliant job and we was out in no time with a happy little girl considering the situation and with a prescription which we was advised on very well. They really couldn't of done anything better even with being at work on a hot summers day. Thank you to all the staff, hopefully I won't see you anytime soon :)

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 20 July 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 22 July 2016

Thanks for such wonderful feedback. It’s great to know your daughter was so well cared for. I’ve shared your comments with all staff.

I hope your daughter is recovering well.

Best wishes to you both,

Lucy Thow.
Matron, Children’s Emergency Department.