Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Courtney Jade Fenwic gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Dicectomy Surgery

I was having bad nerve problems from my back to the point i couldnt walk the queens medical centre and all its staff tried to help me fight this pain away the staff were absolulty fantastic. I tried nerge root block injections but didnt get any relief and alot of medications. I was refered over to a surgeon and was offered a dicectomy/decompression to get rid of some of my disc and remove some bone. I was in surgery on the 1st of June and the operation was a success. The surgeon was brillaint and did everything he could to get rid of my pain. I was refered over to west block D floor i was on the ward D8 for my recovery and recived the best possible care all the staff worked hard and together and did everything they could to give you the best outcome all the health care assitants and nurses was brilliant and i couldnt fault anything thankyou to everybody on the ward and my surgeon and all the other speacalists i was only in the hospital for 1 day and was able to come home on the 2nd of june with all my medications and will be back to visit the hospital for a check up and my physiothearpy. Fantastic hospital and staff. Couldn't fault anything! Thank you!
I am now pain free.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 03 June 2016

It’s great news that you’re pain free after everything you’ve been through. I’ve shared your comments with the teams you mention.

In case you are interested, our annual staff awards are open to nominations. In light of the fantastic care you describe I thought you might like to make a nomination. If you do, you can do so via our website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/. Your nomination would fall under the Surgery division category.

Michelle Pugh.
Ward manager, D8.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing care

This is a fantastic hospital. The staff are friendly and professional. They make time to make sure that you understand what is going on and inform you clearly about decisions that need to be made. They have been prompt to address our concerns and reassuring when necessary. If I had to be in hospital, I'd be in this one!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

Good to hear you would choose QMC for your care and treatment and that you have confidence in what we do and how we do it. I’d like to share your comments with the staff who looked after you – but will need a little more information to do so. If you’d like me to do so, please do get in touch via nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk.

Thanks again,
Helen Donovan.
Matron, Nottingham Children’s Hospital.

Kelly gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff on ward A23

I have just been discharged from ward A23 due to being admitted for a kidney infection . I just wanted to say a big Thankyou to all the staff on there.

1 staff member in particular stood out , they were caring compassionate, helpful, re-assuring and so friendly a student nurse I believe With their positive attitude & bubbly personality they will make a fantastic nurse.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 07 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 08 June 2016

Thanks so much Kelly. The student nurse you mention is going to be a fantastic nurse and we are lucky to have them as part of ‘team NUH’. I’ve shared your comments with them and the rest of the ward.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Sarah Kordula.
Ward Manager, A23.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Conflicting diagnosis

After an ultrasound scan thought I was referred for a parotid sialogram but they disagreed recommending what had been six years ago, soft foods and pain gel. And this after a 2 hour wait bisected by an X-ray.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 June 2016

I am sorry to hear you have found your diagnosis confusing. Do please ask to speak to your consultant – they will be able to provide a fuller explanation if you would find this helpful. If you have concerns about your care you are welcome to get in touch with me – you can contact me via my secretary on 0115 924 9924 ext 68916.

Dilip Srinivasan
Head of Service, Maxillofacial, Orthodontics and Restorative

Lesley Waters gave Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent from the porter to theatre staff and all in between

Excellent family friendly
Couldn't help me and hubby enough
Day case unit
Nurses and consultant were amazing.
Felt like Private care in the nhs
Can't thank them enough
Excellence in the nhs with a gentle caring touch

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 June 2016

Hi Lesley. I’m pleased you and your husband felt well looked after by our team. I’ve shared your comments with staff in Queen’s Day Case Unit.

You might be interested to know that our annual NUHonours awards are now open for nominations. Should you wish to nominate someone from Queen’s Day Case Unit you can do so via our website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours Your nomination would fall under the Clinical Support division category.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Aquiline Chivinge.
Manager, Queen’s Day Case Unit.

Communicationconcerns reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Poor communication regarding surgery

My husband attended A and E at Easter with severe pain that was diagnosed as gallstones. Surgery was recommended a few weeks later at clinic and he was told he'd be sent an appointment. Nothing was forthcoming for a number of weeks during which he had to stay off work due to the pain and the strong painkillers he had to take. He told the GP about the pain and was given different, equally strong painkillers that he found hard to take. It was only when he went to the GP a second time about the pain that anything was done and he was given a date for an operation to remove his gallbladder two weeks later.
We have two small children so we arranged childcare to work around the surgery date. My husband was told to be in for 7am and I went with him, which meant both of us missed a day of work and I lost a day's pay. I was fine with doing that as my husband needed my support. My husband was told he was first on the list and he was given a gown, compression stockings etc. He then waited in the bed until 3pm and was told to go home with no surgery. I understand that emergencies bumped him off the list but what annoyed us was the fact that he was told at the start of the day that he was first and so I waited with him for the entire day believing he could go in at any point. If he had been told early on that there was a chance he could get bumped that would have helped - I could have gone to work and not lost out on pay.
His operation was rescheduled for the following Monday and he went in first. I went in to wait to see him after the operation. The nurses on ward C32 eventually told me that he was in recovery and would go to ward E15 in a couple of hours. I was told nothing about how the surgery went. I went for lunch and then went to ward E15 to be told he wasn't there but would be up soon, so I waited outside the ward on a very uncomfortable chairs. I checked with the ward what the situation was a number of times and was told each time he would be up soon. As it was, he came to the ward nearly 6 hours after the end of his surgery. When I saw my husband he was very surprised that I had been told absolutely nothing about how he was - he had asked numerous times while in recovery for a message to be sent to me and he was assured by the nurses that that had happened. At no point was any message given to me, so I can only assume the nurses lied. After nearly 6 hours of waiting with no information I was very worried and upset by the time my husband got to the ward.
The care he received from both the doctors and nurses was top notch and I can't fault it, but the communication was absolutely appalling and it made the day far more stressful than it needed to be.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 June 2016

Thank you for sharing such a detailed account of your experience with us. It is disappointing when we provide great care, then let our patients and ourselves down by getting other things wrong (communication on this occasion). I am sorry that our communication about your husband’s surgery was poor and for any worry this caused. I’d be happy to discuss this or any other concerns you have in more detail. You can contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 68451.
Rekhaben Patel,
Matron, Gastroenterology and Colorectal Surgery

Patient Opinion Logo

G.W reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Treatment Date

I was taken to Grantham hospital by my partner in her car, I was admitted to the waiting room from 17: 20, was seen by the triage by 18: 00 hours, whilst I was in triage I was given ibuprofen tablet, whilst being in pain and my foot was swollen to three times its size, as it was a possible broken/fractured foot. Whilst there I was advised that from the time I had finished with triage that it would be a two hour wait to see the doctors, in this time I saw of two doctors walking about the waiting area, they were dealing with a few major accidents, but nobody advised me of this, I was there till 20: 00 hours. At this point I had been waiting another 3 hours to see a doctor, but still wasn't seen, they just seemed either too lazy or a little busy to deal with patients that were in the waiting area, after they sent a few other patients to other hospitals such as Lincoln, Queens Medical Centre, after this I decided to take this in my own hands and get myself to Queens Medical Centre, who saw me within a hour of being there, they also had a doctor look into my injury sent me for an X-ray, diagnosis as well as discharging me in three and a half hours. In my experience Queens Medical Hospital has better patient care, better response to other patients coming in with injuries.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 15 June 2016

Hi GW, thanks for your comments. We are glad to hear you experienced good care at Queen's Medical Centre, thank you for mentioning us.
Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer

Patient Opinion Logo

Kate Greenhalgh gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

All the staff are the NHS's best asset!

I was discharged from C31 last night after hernia surgery. Absolutely all the staff were fantastic- friendly and caring, professional but approachable. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone, from the permanent nights porter to the surgical team.
I met a Rumanian Auxiliary, A Portugese nurse, A N.Z Radiologist - examples of very positive immigration, I encountered from a personal angle.
I'd like to thank all the staff who cared for me - the NHS staff are it's best asset.
Thank you very much.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Lack of management and coordination

I went to the Quein hospital in Nottingham at 2.10 am and no any patients were front of me but I was waiting for 40 minutes then I asked them after that a nurse served me and they send me to visit a doctor in green aria section.There were 6 patients plus me and all of them were waiting for doctor but no body came to serve them and all of them were unhappy.After 35 minutes I ask them how long I must still wait and They said 6 people still are front of you it is mean no one of them was not served yet so I leave there with severe pain.It was really horrible.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 22 June 2016

I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Without wishing and appearing to make excuses, our Emergency Department has been very busy in recent weeks. Though without speaking to you it is difficult to be able to describe exactly why you may have had a longer wait. You can email me on lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk or call me on 0115 9249924 ext. 70181 if you would like me to follow up.

Lucy Thow.
Matron, Emergency Department.

Summer2016 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Outstanding care

My Grandma was admitted to hospital after being reviewed in the surgical triage unit and then admitted to E15.
I cannot praise the nursing team, doctors and Consultant highly enough for the care, compassion and excellent treatment that my grandma and my family received.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 June 2016

Thanks so much for getting in touch. I’m pleased you and your family received such great care. I’ve passed your feedback to the ward staff.
Considering your experience, you might wish to nominate someone from your grandma’s care for our annual staff NUHonours awards. Should you wish to do so, you can find all the details on our website: www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours. Your nomination would fall under the surgery division category.
Thanks again for getting in touch,
Rekhaben Patel.