Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Waiting for more than 5 hours in A&E without treatment

My sister developed sudden severe stomach pain and was keeling over and was advised by 111 to immediately go to A&E. My husband took her to A&E at 4am this morning after driving for 1 hour as we live in rural Rutland. It is over five hours of wait in the A&E and she has not been seen and treated by a physician. The last time I heard from them , they were still waiting in A&E. I think it is appalling that an emergency issue is handled in this manner. I have never experienced this in any hospitals so far.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 06 January 2017

I’m very sorry to hear your sister is unwell and that she experienced unacceptably long waits in our Emergency Department (ED). Regrettably our ED has been busy since the Bank Holiday weekend, with waits to be seen over 5 hours for much of these week as we have worked hard to restore flow through our ED and hospitals to discharge. I understand this will be little consolation nor alleviate your frustrations. I would be pleased to talk through your concerns in more detail if you or your sister would like to contact me directly? If you would like to do so, you can reach me on 0115 9249924 ext. 70181 or email jane.newton@nuh.nhs.uk.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Eric W reviewed Orthotics and Prosthetics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Orthotics

I was fitted for knee length orthotics for cerebral palsy two years ago. From the very beginning the staff where kind, understanding, and supportive. The kit is high quality, but I must comment that it us the efficiency which has impressed me. Like all things, I had teething problems, and was seen quickly in city. Yesterday, the foot strap broke at its hinge. The QMC orthotics department booked me as a nine am walk in. Not only did they repair the broken hinge in less than 45 mins, but they replaced all the padding and strap pads. Could not thank them enough, really happy and while orthotics are not always a choice, this department makes their use infinitely more bearable

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 January 2017

Dear Eric. Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear you felt things went so smoothly. I have shared this with my Orthotics colleagues at City and QMC.

Liz Thomas,
Head of Service, Orthotics.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Terminal care - couldn't have done a better job.

My mother was taken to emergency after a fall and hypothermia. Her condition quickly became terminal and she passed away after several hours in hospital. I'd like to place on record my thanks to the staff concerned. Their support for my mother and for the visiting family, right to the very end,was brilliant and much appreciated. No names, butI'm sure you know who the staff are. You do a great job.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 08 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 January 2017

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I appreciate you taking time to get in touch, most especially at this difficult time. I have shared your comments with our staff.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Rach morrell gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Friendly and efficient staff in radiology - Thank you!

I wanted to leave a message to thank the staff in the radiology department - for their friendly nature and efficiency today when having my chest xray. Great job, so thankful for the whole NHS and all you do too.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 10 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 17 January 2017

Thank you. I am pleased to hear of your pleasant experience. I have shared your feedback with the team, who send their thanks and best wishes.

Jane McKay,

Ward Matron, Radiology.

A/E visit

My 99 year old Mum was brought into A/E on Sunday at 4am by ambulance. I would like to say a big thank you to every single person concerned with her care.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 11 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 16 January 2017

Thank you. It’s kind of you to get in touch to share your feedback. I wish your mum well.
Jane Newton
Matron, Emergency Department

Unhappy Mother22 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Why does my son have to wait?

My son had an appointment with Peads Ontology at QMC scheduled for 2pm.. Him and his dad arrived on time for the appointment And was told the appointment was rescheduled. After his dad expressed that noones changed the dates the hospital staff said it was the appointment's department fault but they where going to be seen on the day. They waited for about two hours as everyone else was being seen then one of the nurses announced that it was going to be another 1 1/2hrs wait to be seen by the doctor. His dad was not happy with this but the staff was not very helpful and wait they can give another appointment for a different day.
Appointment.. Now I have got appointment for end of March 2017. why does my son have to wait almost 2 months to be seen as it was the department's fault. We have been waiting since September 2016 from him to get the appointment and now another wait. It is really not fair on my son who is increasingly getting worse.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch. I’m sorry to hear your son has had such a long wait for an appointment and that you felt our staff were not helpful when you raised concerns about your experience at his most recent clinic appointment. I’d be pleased to look into this further for you to see what happened. If you wish me to do so, please contact the patient experience team at QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk
Sue Kilar
Manager, Children’s Outpatients

Patient Opinion Logo

Helenhighwater reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

What a waste of nhs resources

My mother who is in her 80s turned up for an appointment at the QMC for a cataract check. Only to be told it had been cancelled and a letter had been sent out to her first class "the day before '. Not only Royal Mail do not guarantee next day delivery but also the postman delivers her post in the afternoon (after her appointment time) the letter was not at my mothers house btw. Not only has it cost a considerable amount of time but she will have to get a taxi to the rearranged appointment which will cost her £13 each way. What a waste of nhs resources too. A phone call would have been quicker and cheaper than paying someone to type up a letter using up stationary and the cost of first class postage.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 January 2017

I’m sorry to hear this. I could not agree with you more. We should have made a call, rather than rely on the post to change your mother’s appointment. I will be looking into this with the department to understand what happened on this occasion to prevent inconveniencing patients in the future. If you’d like to discuss this or any other concerns you have, you can contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 64127
Keith Knox,
Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat Matron

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Disappointed with my experience.

I was referred to the Breast Unit for investigation which obviously caused huge worry and anxiety. I wanted my husband with me every step. My experience was very disappointing and not what I expected. Firstly I went into my appointment 30 minutes late which raised my already high anxiety. During initial examination the nurse used a pen and draw on my breast without consent. My husband wasn't allowed to accompany me for my mammogram (despite the website stating the radiation was very low) and stay behind the screen. When I went for my ultrasound the nurse stayed while I undressed, leaving me with no privacy, when the doctor came in and was told I was still undressing they said "it's ok I'll mess with my papers" both far from ok! What about recognising I wanted privacy? Protecting my dignity? The nurse also said they were there to assist the doctor....and did nothing but stand and watch and didn't need to be there; I didn't want or need a an audience! I' m aware that I am one of many patients and the staff do this all day everyday. They should review their procedures and put patients first and consider how we feel. We're worried and anxious and we don't want to cause a fuss or we get caught up in our thoughts when we see some of the kit. My experience has left me upset and angry, with myself, that I didn't make my thoughts and feelings known then but I had other things on my mind. Not one person asked how I was feeling......I was terrified what might be found! Please, please, please go back to basics and consider the patient might be too scared to say they do or don't want something to happen a certain way. Remember we might be scared and want our partners with us. Ask yourselves does this extra staff member need to be here? Remember this might be our first ever visit and we are scared. I'm thankful that i had the all clear but very disappointed and upset by some of my experience at a time I felt frightened and vulnerable.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017

I am sorry to hear that so many aspects of your experience at our breast unit fell short and for the additional worry and anxiety this has caused. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you. If you would like to make contact, you can call me on 0115 924 9924 ext: 59080.

Maureen Smart,

Service Manager.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful

I was taken in to A&E by ambulance and stabilised there before being moved to ward A23 - I cannot thank enough all the staff for their care and compassion. At all times, my dignity was retained, which given the reason for my admission was difficult, I was cared for extremely well by teams who were all amazing and I was kept well informed of what was happening and next steps. The whole team and lead nurse who looked after me on A23 were simply brilliant, so caring and were simply focused on ensuring I was well looked after - words cannot express how much I want to thank them.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 10 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 January 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience of A23. I am pleased to hear you felt well looked after. I’ve shared your kind words with my colleagues on the ward and we all wish you well.

Sarah Kordula
Ward Manager, A23

Amazing staff

I was admitted in to QMC A&E when the extreme pain of my chronic migraine, which at this point had lasted for 35 days became too much for me to take. Every single member of staff that interacted with across the department was outstanding. They showed compassion, care, understanding and concern and went above and beyond to ensure that everything was done to help me when I needed it most. I cannot thank them enough for contacting my consultant with such urgency so that my treatment could be fast tracked and I think that their professionalism should be celebrated. They are a credit to our NHS and made a very dark time for me that little bit easier. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 January 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 January 2017

Thank you so much for getting in touch. I’m glad you felt so well looked after and that you found our staff to be caring and compassionate. I’ve shared your thanks with our staff.

Have a lovely weekend.