Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Nick pop gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Got took here by ambulance in A&E there about 20 mins and had blood test done got a infection but the doctor thought there was a bit more to it so had a scan and there it was appendicitis sent me up to ward and about 2hours later in theatre job done thanks to all staff in A&E and ward 31 you want a medal with wot you put up with

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 01 August 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Ms M gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Oral Surgery

I attend an appointment at the Oral and Maxillofacial unit. I was very impressed with all the staff that helped me. Everyone I had contact with within the department was courteous, respectful, reassuring, knowledgeable, efficient and overall highly professional.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 01 August 2014

Thank you for such kind words. It’s good to hear your appointment went smoothly and that you felt that well cared for by our colleagues. We will pass your comments on to the team, who I know will be grateful to receive your feedback.

gary okeeffe gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

saved my leg

Ive personally written to ward c5 to say thankyou. I raced at donington on june 21 2014 on a motorcycle and was involved in an incident. I had open fractures to leg and lost a bit of blood,also had compartment syndrome. I work for the nhs up north and i can tell you now we uphere are behind queens in the care and treatment table! My care was totally first class,without fault. Im alive and hobbling about on two legs just five weeks since my crash and thats all down to the ambulance/paramedics,surgical team,nurses and staff on c5. I could have died and really should have lost a leg. The staff on c5,cleaners,ladies who brought food,nurses,physios,were so helpful,nothing was too much trouble,everything was organised. Id never been in hosp before andthe whole bed pan thing was too much for me,too embarrassing. The nurses were so busy but anytime i asked to be hoisted to the toilet they never made me feel like it was a problem. At 4am one morning i had a catheter problem and bed was wet,i was dying of embarrassment,the nurse changed my sheets,cleaned me up and joked the situation away. Cant tell you how grateful i was for how she handled that,no fuss,no embarradsment. All i can say is thankyou but its no way near enough. Superb hospital with amazing staff.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Delays, frustration and non-existent communication

I have never complained about the NHS before but the way my son has been treated or not treated to be more accurate is plainly unacceptable. He was first seen on 9th June in fracture clinic with an Achilles/calf muscle injury. The doctor told him he would need an ultrasound scan to assess the extent of the injury and in the meantime to wear an Airboot as a precaution. After a week no scan appointment appeared. I rang the consultant's secretary to enquire and was told not to expect to receive an appointment for at least 3 weeks. On 9th July, still no appointment. I called again and asked if she could at least check if a scan had been requested, after saying she had no access to that information she was finally persuaded to check. I had a call the next day to say the appointment was on the 21st July and letter had been sent out and that the delay was because the consultant needed to be there for the scan. My son had the scan with the technician (no consultant) on 21st who questioned why he was having a scan so long after the injury, he checked and the scan had only been requested on 9th July. He said the tendon looked intact and that he would get the results back to the consultant that day. I rang the secretary to ask if we could get someone to look at the scan results quickly given the delays, she said it was not possible. I asked if anyone in the team could look at the scan results and call my son to explain the next steps, she said she would check and call back but did not. We have been trying to contact her since but the phone goes to answer phone. Today I asked the switchboard to put me through to one of the other secretaries in that area, while she was understanding she could not help. We now have no idea of what happens next or when, my son does not know if he needs to continue wearing the Airboot. A relative who is a physio has told us that as the injury was not assessed properly he may have been wearing it unnecessarily and it may be doing more harm than good. I am at a loss what to do next other than maybe find the relevant department in person and refuse to leave until they do something. I have lost confidence in the QMC.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 26 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 31 July 2014

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties your son has had following his injury. The communication you have described is not what we would expect to happen with any of our patients. Please do contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext 62001 and I will be pleased to look into this matter for you with relevant clinical colleagues.

Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Shaun gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Skylink driver (Trent Barton buses)

On arriving at A&E after been dropped off by a work colleague at around 04.30 on the morning of the 13th July 2014 with a hand injury. Soon as I walked in I was greeted by the polite and very attentive staff, even though they were clearly busy with the Saturday night crowd. I was seen quickly and taken into x ray. On my way it was easy to see how much pressure, our medical staff are under, because the waiting room was full, and every treatment bay was full. And I must admit, I was completely taken back by how quickly I went through the process. During each step through the procedure, I felt well informed and comfortable, because of that. It clearly inspired me to find this site and write in, and I never do anything like this. It is so clear to me, that we have the best NHS staff. They are so good at what they do, and most of the time they work under difficult conditions. Our staff are the best in the world. I think some people give the staff a hard time and they don't deserve that. So what I would like so say to everyone who works for the NHS, in every department throughout QMC . Security, cleaners, reception staff, doctors, nurses, surgeons. Etc the list goes on. A Great big thank you.. You are what makes this country great. I love you all.. And a massive thank you to all A&E staff, the Sunday 13th July 2014.. X-Ray nurse. The nurse that made me a cup of Tea ;). The nurse that brought everybody tea/coffee in the waiting room. The nurse that strapped up my hand. The physiotherapy staff. All staff and doctors in the fracture clinic on Wednesday morning on the 23rd July 2014. Well done. You got me writing in because I was very impressed with your professionalism. Thank again.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 25 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to find this site and write in to share your experience of our Emergency Department. It is great to hear how happy you were with the treatment you received an all our colleagues you encountered in ED and the Fracture Clinic. We will pass your kind words and thanks on to all of them, we are sure they will appreciate your message.

Gareth gave Diabetic Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Discharge Procedure

My elderly father has incurable cancer. He also has problems with speech and swallowing.
He was due to be discharged on Mon 14 July, on the 'Fast Track' procedure. He was informed that the discharge would be as early in the day as possible.
However, I was given varying explanations why the discharge was delayed, eventually being told that an Ambulance would be available at 9 PM. This was clearly unsuitable for an elderly patient.
Eventually he arrived home at 2 PM the following day.
Although I have no complaint whatsoever at the treatment he received during his stay in hospital, I was extremely disturbed by the delays in allowing him to return home.
Although it is too late to act in my own situation, I would like some kind of assurance that this will not occur in other, similar cases.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you were satisfied with the treatment your father received while in hospital, but we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy about his discharge being delayed. We will be looking into anything which may have caused such a delay, to avoid similar delays in future, and will liaise with our colleagues in the East Midlands Ambulance Service on this matter.

Natalie Sharpe gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Attentive proactive approach & care

Following an accident I came into A&E on Sunday 8th June in severe pain with my ribs and breathing. Despite a 3 hour wait time the receptionist was caring and proactive enough to notice my agony and get me to see a nurse immediately for pain-relief. They sped me through to an X-ray and to see a doctor within 50 minutes to help me out of my suffering. Despite the unbelievable pressure the A&E team are under it is such a relief to know that they are still caring and proactive enough to prioritise cases to reduce pain and suffering and act quickly enough when necessary no matter how overwhelmed. I am in awe at the dedicated staff at QMC and despite worries like most of you about the ability of one of the busiest A&E depts in Europe to cope, its reassuring to know that the team proficiently deal with emergencies as best they can. Diagnosed broken ribs later I can only say thank you A&E team and keep up the great work - keep caring and lets pray things improve to allow the increased space and staffing you need to function to the quality levels you all strive for.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We pleased to hear about your positive experience the care of our Emergency Department (ED). We are glad you felt you were treated with efficiency and compassion and we will pass on your kind words to colleagues in the ED, they will appreciate them. We hope you are recovering well from your accident now.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members and it only takes a few minutes. The Acute Medicine category is most relevant to your comments and you can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028.

Caz Linnett reviewed Neurosurgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

My experience of a subarachnoid haemorrhage 19/7/2014

I arrived by ambulance and was quickly placed on D10 the nurses got me settled and stockinged and correctly inserted the catheter which made me more comfortable. I had received a scan and a spinal tap from the LRI. Because of previous metalwork in my head the scan was inconclusive, and so too was the spinal tap. The plan at that time was to establish exactly the cause of my pain and sickness. I was sent for a contrast CT where two aneurysms were discovered. I was then very quickly sent for contrast angiography, both of the aneurysms were repaired although this had proved very challenging to the expert hands of the surgeon as my right carotid artery is totally occluded, despite this extreme difficulty the surgeon managed to occlude both aneurysms. The nurse assigned to care for me during the night was a male nurse (my first experience of being cared for by a male nurse). The standard drug to prevent vaso spasms is called nimrodopine, the normal dose 2 every 4 hours was given to me, unfortunately it did not agree with me, my blood pressure crashed. The poor nurse worked really hard throughout the night to increase the pressure to an adequate level. At one point he told me it was his goal to get the systolic pressure to 100 before the end of his shift. At one point I looked up and saw 2pouches of fluid hooked up to me, I mentioned this as he may not have realised and he explained this was how he could elevate the blood pressure. That man worked tirelessly throughout the night and at the end of his shift had managed to elevate the pressure to 99. If I had had £30000000.00 in the bank to spend on nursing care I could not have had a better nurse than him, he was magnificent. He was on NSPU ward, I was so lucky to have him. I hope he received my thank you card. I was then transferred to a side room on D11 it had a door which was open onto a balcony the breeze was wonderful. Once again the nursing staff on this ward were amazing. Because of the problem with this drug and me the administered this drug 1tablet every 2hours around the clock and were extremely diligent in their task they cared for me so well. I then went to D10 in a side room until I came home. I have to say my experience was; I was treated with kindness and extreme care throughout. The surgeon who repaired me was incredible as too were the nurses who cared for me. Thank you very much QMC.
I would like to also add that after I went home I received a call from the neurosurgical nurse to ensure I was managing ok and to see if I had any questions. Once again I would Luke to thank the male nurse. Many thanks Caz

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 July 2014

Thanks taking the time to get in touch and for sharing you experience Caz. I am sure our colleagues on NSPU, D10, D11 and surgery will be grateful to receive your feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you felt you were treated with kindness and extreme care during your stay with us. We hope you are making a good recovery at home.

Did you know that nominations for our annual NUHonours Awards are now open? You can nominate teams or individual staff members for an award. The Musculoskeletal and Neurosciences category is most relevant to the comments you have posted. You can nominate via our website at http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours/ or call 0115 9691169 x76028. It takes just a few minutes to do so.

Char gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Head injury

I had to visit a and e today due to a forehead wound. parking terrible but care fantastic! I was there 4 hours but went away pleased with my treatment and care. I have been a few times with my son too, the care and attention has always been 100%!
I do feel it could be cleaner but the footfall is so high constantly they can't achieve everything. Nothing or nobody is perfect!
Praise to all in a and e you do a brilliant job and it must be very challenging at times! :)

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you have experienced outstanding care whenever you have been to our Emergency Department. We will pass your praise on to our colleagues in the department. We know from the feedback we receive that parking at QMC is difficult presently, compounded by the tram works being completed on site. It is concerning to hear your concerns about cleanliness of the department. We will pass on this feedback to our colleagues who manage this service so that we can endeavour to make improvements to the environment in this area.

Sally gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Crippling Car Parking

My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with a malignant brian tumour for which we now have to go to the hospital every other week for chemotherpay for anywhere between 1 day and 7 days (and that doesn't include any emergency visits if he gets a temperature and infection). The nursing staff including doctors and play specialists that we deal with have been great with all of us, my main bug bear is parking; firstly it costs a fortune and secondly half the time you can't find a space. I can't use public transport if I am coming in with my son as we have to bring bags of stuff with him and if he is too tired to walk he also needs carrying, if I can't find a parking space in car park 1 then it is very difficult for me to get to the East Block. Half the time you find the car park filled with staff or contractor vehicles, I know they also need to park somewhere but surely other arrangements could be made for them? We have been getting a parking pass for £20 a month but when we are going to be in and out for over a year that starts to get expensive at a time you really can't afford it. Does the Macmillan campaign for free parking for cancer patients mean nothing to you? Surely you can see that you are penalising people for having ongoing life saving treatment where there is no other choice? The time we are going through at the moment is stressful enough without worrying about parking charges and if you can find a space. I was told that there were meant to be some spaces (about 5) just outside East Block that were free for cancer patients but no one that we have spoken to seems to know about it. Apparently you can park in front of the barrier then go up to the ward to get a pass to raise the barrier - 1) what do I do with my son during this time? Take him up and back down with me? 2) How do I get said pass when no one seems to know about it? 3) Can we not get a pass to keep in the car to be able to use this car park as we get there?

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 08 July 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience.

We are sorry to hear that you have been having problems with parking at our hospital, especially during what must be a difficult time for you.

We apologise profusely that it appears we have not properly communicated our policy of providing free parking for this group of patients, and importantly, how to access this. Please get in touch with us by emailing nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk or calling 0115 9249924 x 62001 and we will make arrangements for you to get a free parking pass for car parks 1, 2 and 3 (our main patient and visitor car parks at QMC). We will ensure it is available for you on your next visit to QMC and will arrange for you collect this from main reception (we will arrange for you to park at main entrance in order to do so).

We have asked for a message to be sent out our wards and departments to remind colleagues to inform patients, parents and carers how to access free parking if they think this applies to their individual situation.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by building and improvement works around the QMC site presently. We are working hard with the site contractors to minimise disruption to patients, visitors, carers and staff.

The five barrier-controlled parking spaces on the perimeter road outside East Block entrance have been set up for use by frequently-visiting patients (those attending more than twice a week on either a short or long-term basis).

These spaces are generally used for children being treated for long term, chronic conditions, who may need to attend on a regular basis for short term treatments ( such as Chemotherapy) or long term therapies, to help make access to the hospital during these periods as convenient as possible for them. Patients are given a card to enable them to park here, but you do not need to go up to the clinic to collect your parking card on every visit. Patients using these spaces are able to park in them in agreed time slots which are worked out to match with your appointment times – this is to make sure the maximum possible number of patients are able to make use of them.

Please ask at the next appointment you are attending with your son about being able to use these spaces when you are coming to hospital and we will discuss this with you in more detail.