Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Laura gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Mental health awareness ???

I just wanted to start by saying by no means is this review a reflection on all staff whilst recovering treatment I was seen by such an understand triage nurse and another nurse who stitched me back together. After being seen very quickly by the triage nurse as I was highly distressed the nurse very kindly allowed us to sit in a side cubicle away from the busy crowds. It was Saturday night and it was incredibly busy. We waited until about 2.30 to be greeted by a nurse and doctor peering round the door asking us why we were in there and that we would need to move. The nurse then continued to as what was the problem and why that meant I couldn't sit in the main waiting area. The nurse refused to listen to my partner who was trying to explain to the nurse as I was struggling to put one word In front of another. The nurse then asked what had happened so I showed the nurse the cut to which the nurse response was extremely sarcastic and condescending: ' and I suppose you did that yourself'. After rolling their eyes they stormed out. This whole conversation had been heard by the whole waiting room who were no staring straight in as the nurse hadn't shut the door throughout the conversation. The lovely nurse who first allowed us to sit in there came and apologised for the rude member of staff and said we were to stay put and that it was ok. We didn't see the nurse and doctor again. We were left until 7 am when the shift changed and a doctor came in to assess. I explained what had happened/ how and what was used and that it had happened whilst in a dissasociative state but explained very clearly that I was already on meds and had a strong support network in place through the Erewash health team. The doctor then continued to what felt like interrogate myself and partner to establish a. Whether my partner had watched and b. The doctor wanted all the history that was causing the PTSD. Having previously been in a domestic abuse relationship I can fully understand some of the questions as I would have loved someone to have asked me when I was in the relationship. However continually questioning and pointing the finger then saying the doctor doesn't know how i could do it really isn't ok. After the doctor typed their notes my partner completely innocently asked how long before a nurse could stitch as we'd been there since 1.25? The doctor replied well I've been on a night shift too you know and shut the door. The nurse who came and stitched was truly a knight in shining armour as we'd both had enough by this point. I was so distressed I couldn't stop crying but the nurse was so thoughtful and caring, explaining everything one step at a time so I could understand. This experience alone has put me off ever going to them again for anything mental health related and otherwise. Mental health is real ... It's not some sort of made up fantasy and should be treated with just as much respect as a physical illness. Sorry for the rant just felt it needed to be said so no one else ever has to go through it as it might be the last and only time they reach out.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 16 May 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 16 May 2016

Hi Laura. I’m very concerned to read about the attitudes and behaviours from staff during your visit – this is far from what we would expect for any of our patients. We recently shared a care plan with department staff to address the needs of patients with mental health concerns so it’s upsetting to know this was your experience. I would like to look into this for you. If you’d like to get in touch you can email me on lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk or call me on 0115 924 9924 ext 70181.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Bad experience

I had visited the department about an ongoing issue I have had with my ears which have left a very negative impact on my life. I had a hearing test and then was escorted to another room where I tried to discuss my problems with a doctor who seemed uninterested. When I questioned the treatment they had a disgusted look on their face which made me feel very uncomfortable. I left feeling worst due to their attitude. After leaving, I sat outside the room and I heard them having a laugh with one of the nurses. They then left the room only to seem shocked that I was sitting outside and then quickly put on a straight face which I found very odd. Overall, It does not hurt to be a little sympathetic towards a patient. Most doctors forget that a patient has gone through months of distress before they finally reach the hospital.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 17 May 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 May 2016

Thank you for taking time to provide this feedback. I’m very concerned by the attitudes and behaviours you describe – this is certainly not what we want our patients to experience. I’d appreciate it if you could can you get in touch with me to discuss directly so I can look into this further. If you wish to do so you can contact me on 0115 9249924 ext. 64127 or email keith.knox@nuh.nhs.uk.

Keith Knox.
Matron, Head and Neck.

Darius Grinevicius gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Just to say Thank you !

I have been in the hospital only once, but that one time has let me to understand that all the staff has looked after me, I received the treatment I needed.The doctors has talked to me about the treatment I should receive.I was amazed by the cleanliness .I respected the staff , therefore, the staff should show respect and dignity towards me.I appreciated their help.I want to say big thank you , to all of the stuff that supported me , when I was in the hospital.I recommend the hospital to all the people who find hard with they health .The hospital has sent the letter with a card saying'Thinking of you'.This letter showed me that they actually cared about me and they are still thinking.I think they gave me the best support that I could ever receive by the doctors.Much appreciated!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 14 May 2016

Hi Darius. This is great feedback, thank you. I’ve shared your appreciation with colleagues in the Emergency Department.
I hope you’re feeling better.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Teenage patients mum reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Excellent staff at Outpatient Appointment

My 15 year old daughter had an appointment at the childrens fracture clinic (b-floor east) at QMC in Nottingham yesterday afternoon.
When we arrived the waiting room was packed and noisy and entering it felt like entering some sort of overloaded chaotic chamber full of with children of all ages and barely any seats to sit and wait (it is a large waiting room).
However, not a single nurse looked stressed, they were extremeley pleasant and considerate. Even the doctor was wandering around the waiting room looking for the next patient as the nurses were so busy being pulled in different directions. Despite there being so many people, patients were being processed reasonably quickly and with such high level personable care. have never come accross such amazing medical staff before - so well done and thank you.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 19 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 May 2016

Thank you for taking time to post this feedback. I’m pleased the experience was such a pleasant one for you and your daughter. I’ve shared your comments with the team for you.

I hope your daughter is recovering well.

Mark Stone.
Manager, Children’s Outpatients Department East.

Pauline gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Long live our NHS

I fell on the way to work on Friday and gashed my head.. I am thankful to so many people, from the guys from the nearby roofing firm and a lady who lived in the street who came to help, phoned an ambulance, helped to stop the bleeding, stayed with me reassuring me, to the ambulance crew, nurses/student nurse, doctor and all at accident and emergency who treated me in a kind, friendly, caring and respectful manner. They were very thorough in the checks that they did and although they were busy and there were waiting periods, they all had time to explain and listen and I felt in good hands.

I didn’t want to look at the gash in my head before the stitching as I thought it may make me more nervous so the nurse took a photo on my phone so I could look at it later. Having now seen the “before” and “after” photographs, I and family/friends, are very impressed with the end result after 14 stitches.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 22 May 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 23 May 2016

Thank you for your message. It sounds like you were well looked by our wonderful staff, as well as the ambulance service. I’ve shared your feedback with the team in A & E as well as the East Midlands Ambulance Service team.

I hope your head is healing nicely and you are well.

Best wishes,
Matron, Emergency Department.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

A and E and 999 Service

I have had to phone 999 twice very recently and have received excellent prompt service and calm advice. The Paramedics and Ambulance Staff have been very friendly and reassuring and I am so grateful especially as I know that you are all working under tremendous pressure.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 22 May 2016

Thanks for this lovely feedback. I’ve shared this with our Emergency Department team at QMC and our partners and colleagues at East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS). Should you wish to contact them directly you can do so by emailing emas.pals@nhs.net.

Lucy Thow.
Matron, NUH Emergency Department.

RDerby reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

ENT Surgery

A nurse being a patient! - The other side!
Last week I was a patient a role reversal to when I normally go to hospital as I'm a paediatric nurse. I've been a patient before many times, comes with the territory of being born with a cleft lip and palate.
This surgery was phase 3 of making my nose straighter because to me when I look in a mirror I can tell it's not right and I don like it! So I had a cartridge graft from my ear to my tip of the nose and re designed! Can't wait to see the results!
I attended pre op assessment 1st which is normal as I have quite away to travel to the hospital I had my surgery at then up to the ward!
I'll bullet point my observations now and hopefully if you are a nurse reading this it will make you consider How the patient views you and thee care you give -
There were plenty of 'Hello my name is .....' Which is excellent really makes you feel like someone cares to know their name.
Ted stockings warn by all patients - I can understand the risk but if you are a mobile young adult why does every daycase patient need them? ? ? I would have thought some £ could be saved here if needed.
The nurse admitting me was constantly yawning through out which put me off! I was thinking don't you want to be looking after me? - it all felt like a paper excercise not that they were finding things out for their admission.
There wasn't a long wait for surgery but thankfully the hospital had wifi - however the patient has to pay for it! Which I think is general practice but in this day and age I would have thought it could be free.
Very chatty porters took me to surgery then I was given the drugs and off I went!
When waking I felt really nauseated and I think a student nurse ( heard her talking about management placements - unless I was having a post anaesthetic dream! ) was looking after me she was so kind and softly spoken helped me get some anti-emetics.
Back to the reclining chair on the ward and loads of sleeping, I think nurses came to do my obs but I don't recall any pain assessment, and I certainly wasn't given my nurse call bell incase I needed any assistance!
20 mins before discharge I was asked about pain relief for home and I knew I had asked the aneasatist pre op re stronger pain relief for home so I let the nurse know and she said oh but we will have to order that from pharmacy! I thought yes you will! Luckily it came just before I was discharged!
Taking of discharge! ! ! I asked when my head bandage off- I was told the next day! So the next day myself and my wife started to take it off- got fine to my ear where there was iodine cotton wool in my ear and some gauze behind so we tried to get the gauze off - OUCH - wouldn't come off! A call is made to the ward I was on .... S/N continue to take it off as much as you can use gauze afterwards to cover it up ok so that didn't sound quite right so a further phone call to the consultants secretary. We spoke to the consultant who operated who said oh I wanted all that keeping on until when you come back, great advice from the ward there then! But luckily no harm done as I wouldn't have got the gauze behind my ear off as it was a tied dressing! ! ! ! ! No wonder it hurt! ! ! !
I am now still with head bandage until tomorrow then I'll be able to see what they have done!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 24 May 2016

Thank you. Really appreciate these comments and your detailed feedback. Seeing things from a patients’ perspective (and putting ourselves in patients’ shoes) is how we learn and improve the experience of our patients and their families/carers. We note the positives you observe. We also note your concerns and will take these on board (which will include discussions with staff). If you would like to discuss your experience with me directly, I would be pleased for you to call me on 0115 9249924 ext. 64127 or emailing keith.knox@nuh.nhs.uk so that we can maximise our learning from your experience.

I hope you are recovering well.

Keith Knox.
Matron, Head and Neck.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Paramedic response - Seizure

I'd like to say the first nurse I saw in Resus and IAU were kind, considerate with concern and excellence when the ambulance brought me through after my absence seizure the ambulance crew was excellent and the paramedic I am grateful to for arriving speedily during my fit, apparently that atmosphere all changed when one patient acting the joker from batman was in the yellow area, but this is not the point, you can be in any zone and get great treatment or excellence.

This chap who was a patient did make me chuckle due to his funny attitude to the nurses and my post ictal was still present after my seizure! Suppose its some what ok to have a bit of a laugh to ease the pressure or whatever condition you have.

The nurses then looked at me when I said I needed the toilet, in which one at reception said put him in 24 and he will stay in 24, in which I was given a bottle, in other words stay in 24 and nothing will be done no oxygen given when I was struggling to breath, although my oxygen levels were normal.

Oh dear once again failing to recognize. I sit waiting 5-6 hours before a doctor came and told me my results saying we can't do anything you have to wait for neurology appointment. Maybe Im a waste of time to the doctors there, I felt my time was wasted as the paramedic said, they won't really do nothing at A+E I really hope I don't have to return to this A+E as it is despicable!!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 May 2016

I’m sorry to hear you were unhappy with parts of your treatment in our Emergency Department.

I’ve shared your comments with my colleagues at NUH and our partners at East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS).

If you would like to discuss any of your concerns further please do get in touch with me and I will look into this further for you. It is important we learn from patients’ experiences, most especially when we have fallen short. You can call the Emergency Department directly to speak to me or the nurse in charge on 0115 9249924 ext. 70398

Matron, Emergency Department.

Ashley Mills gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

My daughters accident 18 th May 2016

I just want to say a massive thank you for the care and support you face my daughter after her car accident on Wednesday evening. We had a 3hr journey to get to the hospital - once we arrived we could see that our daughter has been well looked after and the Dr/nurses kept us up to date with her progress. Once she was taken to LJU ward the staff tried very hard to arrange accommodation for us but without luck. They they kindly made us up beds in our daughter's room.
The staff and ambulance crew were absolutely amazing - worth their weight in gold. They are total superstars -)we are very grateful to them all.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 May 2016

Hi Ashley.

Thank you.

We hope your daughter is recovering well after her accident.

I’ve shared your feedback with our staff and our partners at East Midlands Ambulance Service.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Matron, Emergency Department.

hearingaider reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Thank you to the Ropewalk Audiology, Nottingham

I have been a patient at the Ropewalk Audiology since I was 3. Now at 21, I have visited yourselves countless times. I know I used to be embarrassed of wearing a hearing aid and would like to do anything to spend the least amount of time dealing with it.
I just want to say a massive thank you for all your help over the years. I had a hearing check up 2 months ago and the service I received was fantastic. The waiting times are almost non existent. Your receptionists are helpful. I also visited yourselves the other day and was once again blown away by the fantastic care and service I received. I just want to let you know that whatever you're doing, keep it up! It is being appreciated and taken to heart!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.