Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Telephone: 0115 924 9924
Address: Derby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Adam Szczotka gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Waste of a day and nothing achieved

My doctor first referred me for an x ray, arrive at x ray clinic on time for my appointment at 11; have to wait 40 minutes to be seen. Following this I have to have a few more scans, so a 15 minute extra wait. Then told to go down to A and E to have further consultation. Wait in A and E 30 minutes to be seen by the streming nurse/doctor, told to go wait in the yellow waiting area.

Wait in the yellow area for 35-40 minutes. Get seen by the emergency Nurse (don't know if I am supposed to mention names), who seemed taken aback by the fact I was there even though my xray said had no break. Goes up to talk to the xray department, I was another 15 minutes but still no worries as I understand that the QMC is extremely busy and that doctors are under stress and there is no problem for me waiting.

The nurse comes back and then says there is nothing to do as there is no break and to go back to my doctor and wait another week for him to get my xrays. I ask is there any advice they can give on what to do or what they might think is wrong.
The nurse says they think it's ligament damage, could they not do any simple tests to see what is wrong with my hand so I can get a better idea of what to do with it? Throughout this the nurse is extremely condescending and quite frankly rude and saying if there was something wrong with me they would refer me, as if blaming me for following advice given to me by previous doctors. I then say I would like to make a complaint and the nurse then starts ranting to me about how 'If I want to make threats thats fine' as if I was trying to threaten them and the nurse tried to provoke a reaction. I just said to the nurse that they were being condescending and not helpful. This injury although not important to them, is keeping me from working as I work a manual job in Summer and need to lift heavy items. The nurse gave me little advice, and only because I asked. If I had not asked questions I would not have received any advice on how to lessen the pain of my injury.
The nurse showed no empathy towards my situation and made it apparent that I was wasting their time. Extremely upsetting and frustrating as I have just looked up what to do with ligament damage to the hand and it is simply to put it in a splint, could the nurse not have advised me to do this? Never have I felt so let down and wasted a day to this extent. It was basically better that I didn't come in today as the advice I got in the end was next to nothing. I will not be using QMC ever again by choice.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 June 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.

Mandy11 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

my uncle had a major bleed on the brain in a fall at home. He was transferred to LJU at QMC on the end of life care pathway to be cared for until he died. He was in the unit about 8 hrs. I would like to thank the team that evening for taking care of him in his final hours and making him comfortable. Not only that. They went the extra mile in taking care of us too, his family, so that we could be there in comfort when the time came.
Even though our last memories are of him at hospital the time we spent with him will be with us forever and it's important to make those as a positive experience as possible. And they were.
All too often it's easy to complain when we have a bad experience but were wrapped up in our situation when things go as they should that we forget to compliment when it does.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous reviewed Colorectal cancer services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Visitors and discharge advice

My father recently had surgery for bowel cancer and was cared for on E14. We are more than happy with the care and attention of the surgical team but felt the aftercare on E14 was pretty poor. He was pretty much left to his own devices on the ward and struggled to have a shower. He wasn't given any discharge advice at all and despite having had bowel surgery was sent home constipated. The patient next to him had 12 visitors every day for the whole 6 hours, preventing my father from getting any rest - is there no limit to 3 visitors per bed. This seems pretty unreasonable when trying to recover from bowel surgery at 81 years old.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 17 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 20 May 2015

Thank you. We appreciate you taking time to feedback to us about your father’s experience. It is good to hear about the care and attention of the surgical team. However, it’s not so good to hear about your father’s experience on the ward, advice after surgery and before discharge and his general aftercare. This is not the experience we wish for any patient and falls short of our standards. Visiting times are between 2.30pm and 8.30pm every day for most wards (there are some exceptions). We do try to limit visiting to two at a time for patient comfort and privacy or ask that people take turns if there is a large group. It appears that this didn’t happen on this occasion, preventing your father from getting any rest, for which we apologise.
We would like to discuss your father’s experience further with you so that we can address your particular concerns. If you wish to do so you can get in touch on 0115 9249924 ext. 66885.

Jean Barker.
Matron, Digestive Diseases and Thoracics.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

ED - Blackouts, including shooting head pains

I came into A+E on Sunday evening and was seen by the triage doctor and nurse who checked my blood pressure and pulse as I was experiencing, shooting like head pains along with blackouts, I explained my situation about, Neurology investigation and, functional problems relating to Neuro, I explained the Neurologist may be putting me on anti-epileptic medication, the triage doctor and nurse said NEMS at the Queens should give me some epileptic medication for my Neuro problems.

I waited in the waiting area at NEMS in Queens, I was seen by the doctor who spoke to me very rude during the consultation and didn't seem they had much knowledge of the Neurological problems I suffer from, although they examined me they said I am anxious and stressed, I replied I am not and is due to my Neuro problems.

When I explained that I was told I could have medication they replied in a rude manner A+E is not the place for medication and is for your doctor or Neurologist to prescribe and said, why haven't I gone to the A+E where I had my MRI.

This has let me down and I am still suffering from my problems as a result of this, I came to A+E for medical attention and the right medication not to be spoke to rudely by a doctor who did not seem to understand my problems.

Hopefully in future I won't have to be seen by NEMS.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 25 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 27 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your feedback with us about the service provided by NEMS at our hospital. We are very sorry to hear of your experience after being referred on to NEMS from our Emergency Department, and we are sorry that you feel you were spoken to rudely by staff there. We have passed your comments on to NEMS.

Not one to complain but...

I was sent to Queens, Nottingham from Kings Mill Hospital in Mansfield for stitches via Taxi, which Kings Mill paid for. However, when I informed Queens, Nottingham that I needed a lift back as I had been sent from Kings Mill and was without any money or transport, I was told that 'no transport will be provided'. I therefore had to pay £40 to get back home, and then had to walk back to Kings Mill to get my van.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 28 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 01 June 2015

Thanks for getting in touch. We are sorry to hear that you weren’t informed of the charging arrangements for your taxi from QMC when you left King’s Mill. We don’t provide (nor fund) transport for patients ready to transfer from our care who are well enough to get themselves home unaided. However, you may be entitled to claim back some of your travel costs. More information is available here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Travelcosts.aspx.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Care of my 92 year old father

Last week my elderly father, who lives alone, experienced light headedness which made him unstable. He also had other symptoms. He rang the doctor, who said to ring 111, who told him to ring his doctor. Eventually the doctor came and told him not to get up too quickly! However, as he was even worse the next morning I brought him to A and E. I was a little worried as I was not sure we were really an emergency but the treatment and consideration he was given was second to none. He was given a thorough battery of tests which showed he had a very erratic and slow heart rate. He was admitted to Ward D57, where again he was treated with kindness and friendliness. I had forgotten to bring his tablets and went home to get them which made me very late returning but no-one suggested I leave straight away. The next morning on ringing to see how he was I was allowed to speak to him. The NHS gets some bad press but I was thoroughly impressed with both the medical care and the personal treatment of him and of myself. Please pass on my thanks to staff in A and E and also on Ward D57 and say how impressed I was with our whole experience. Thank you.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 10 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 May 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of your father’s care. We hope your father is now recovering well at home. We have shared your comments with our teams in our Emergency Department and staff on Ward D57.
It may be of interest to you that our staff awards open to nominations early June. If you wanted to put forward this nomination, you can do so at: www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours (this would fall under the Acute category).

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

End of life care for parent

I want to thank the staff on ward B47 for their exemplary care of my father recently. I could not have asked for more compassion or understanding. They were always helpful and attentive at this very difficult time.

The ward deals with some very difficult patients and the staff operated with dedication and very high levels of patience. At a time when it seems everyone wants to complain I thought it important that I expressed my appreciation.

Thanks again.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 12 May 2015

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

1st Class for children with Type 1 Diabetes

The care that has been provided for my son is second to none. They are at the forefront of the newest & best treatment regimes for Insulin dependant children, always putting patients first in order to do so. I know of people with children at other clinics countrywide & without a doubt QMC is one of the best. Thank you for all you have done so far.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 06 May 2015

Concerned dad gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Deep concerns

My son was taken to the QMC on the 21st April after injuring his hand playing football, He was assessed and sent to X-ray, he had dislocated his left thumb, they gave him gas and air to ease the pain so they could put the thumb back into place,it was viewed by the doctor and believed it wasn't broken.
My son still complained that it hurt, he returned to school on the 23rd April with his arm in a sling, mid morning I received a call from his school advising that his thumb was dislocated again, somebody bumped into him, we returned to the A&E department at the QMC, he was assessed and sent to X-ray, again they used gas and air to ease the pain to get the thumb back into place, but it kept coming out of its socket, the doctor advised that he would need to be seen by the plastics team and would need an operation, we were told to return the next morning on D35 at 8:00am,
The next morning on D35 we met the surgeon who was going to perform the operation and explained that there was a fracture in the thumb at the base and would need to perform the operation under general anaesthetic.
At 9:00am we went down to theatre we went through the medical history with the surgeon then the anaesthetist and explained that my son has a horse shoe kidney had a kidney infection two years ago but was in good health.
Myself and my wife waited on D35, at around
9:30am the surgeon came up and said everything was fine and we should be able to see him shortly, Around 10:00am the anaesthetist came up and advised that our son had a seizure and asked if this had happened before, we asked could we see him and were told that we would see him shortly once they were in control and establish what had happened, it was12:00pm we were taken back down to theatre, I went into the room and there was a team of doctors around my son, he was conscious but was very scared, I spoke to him and he explained that he was in pain on his left side of his stomach and his back and that his head was burning on the right side, at that point he had another seizure, I asked how many seizures had he had and the nurse advised around about 40 seizures, this was very distressing for me and my son, each seizure was lasting around 30 to 40 seconds his head going from side to side and his body shaking, as he regained consciousness again he complained of the same pain and also his left eye was burning, the registrar from intensive came to see my son and asked the anaesthetist what drugs had been administered he went through a list of drugs and advised that he had maxed out, the seizures continued, occurring every 5 to 10 minutes, a CT scan was carried , we were advised that it was fine, with no explanation we were told that he would be ok, and went back onto D35, That evening he continued Having seizures went blind in his left eye lost part of his memory and was unable to talk properly and his left Side feeling numb. We were discharged on 28/04/15.
He is still suffering and we have no explanation.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 04 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 22 May 2015

Dear concerned dad. Thank you for getting in touch with us and providing such a comprehensive account of your expense during your son's recent admission to hospital. We see that you posted this on 4th May 2015. Unfortunately, it there seems to have been a delay in your post getting to us as there is often a delay in comments going live on the NHS Choices website which we have escalated to them to resolve.
We are concerned to hear that you feel communication (notably an explanation of the reasons for your son's symptoms have not been forthcoming). If you could contact me directly I will get further details from you so that we can put you in touch with your son's consultant directly (0115 9249924 ext. 61207 jamie.crew@nuh.nhs.uk)

Jamie Crew,
Deputy Clinical Lead, Children’s Hospital.

mosmith gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

angels at work

I was admitted to qmc, ward c52 blue bay. I spent a week in there. I really want to say how well I was treated the staff were wonderful, caring, considerate, respectful. The food was very good, again served with care. These angels work so very hard and deserve respect of us all. There are not enough words to say thank you but I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Please let the political parties, whoever gets in, ensure the staff are encouraged to stay in that profession and reward them accordingly..

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015