Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Drew Wilkie gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

The Acute Medicine Reception Unit

Yesterday (%th April 2016) I woke up feeling pretty rough and had a pain in my chest. I had been suffering from the cough that everyone in Cotgrave seems to have but was surprised by the pain as the cough seemed to be getting better. By 12.30pm the pain was unbearable so I went to the doctor’s surgery where I was seen almost immediately. I was referred to the Acute Medicine Reception Unit at Queens Medical centre. With four hours I had two blood tests, two ECG, one chest X ray, numerous blood pressure tests and a CT scan; three consultations with the same junior doctor and two with a senior consultant. At each stage I was told exactly what was going on with my treatment. I received a five page report on my medical condition, the punch line being I have viral pleurisy. The only delay, if it can be called a delay was waiting for results to come back. I was given tea and sandwiches free of charge. Today I met my own GP with a scheduled appointment to discuss a follow up which will take place in two weeks. My point is this. I got all of this treatment from an underfunded National Health Service. An NHS where our staff and in particular our junior doctors are undervalued and vilified by our so called government. An NHS that is a credit to everyone that works in it. An NHS that should be left alone to do exactly what it does best. I have never been a natural tory but words cannot describe how utterly disgusted I am about what they are trying to do. Let's get behind the NHS. Please pass my feedback to the staff involved. They are amazing.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 08 April 2016

Hi Drew. Big thanks for your kind and supportive comments. We are proud of our staff and their dedication and commitment to doing the best job for patients. I’ve shared your note with the AMRU team, who asked me to pass on their appreciation.

My best wishes to you,
Paul Webb
Matron, Acute Medicine

El rob reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

excellent at reassuring 7 year old having MRI

My 7 year old son required an MRI of his head this morning. He had been nervous for sometime and as the day drew close I had doubts as to whether we would get a complete scan and worried he may get so anxious that scanning wouldn't be possible.
Today the staff were fantastic, explaining what was going to happen and checking with him after each group of scans that he was ok. I was allowed to go in with him to talk to him and reassure him.
The result of the understanding and patience from the staff was a quiet and still little boy for the whole scan and no need to waste resources on sedation or even a general anaesthetic and a repeat scan.
Brilliant job by all concerned

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 12 April 2016

What a great outcome! An MRI can be a scary experience at any age. Sounds as though your son has been incredibly brave. I’m pleased that our staff were reassuring and explained everything well. I’ve shared your feedback with colleagues.
Best wishes to you and your son,
Jamie Crew
Matron, Children’s Hospital

Patient Opinion Logo

Alpha reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

I came with an urgent case to look at and the receptionist attitude was awfully

I came with an urgent case to look at and the receptionist attitude was awfully disgusting. They started telling me that I should have come days ago.
I think receptionists should be smiley at all time, avoid being cutting, if they are not happy with their job, find another one and lastly don't tell patients, but rather help.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 April 2016

I couldn’t agree more that receptionists should be welcoming to patients, visitors and carers. I am sorry to hear of your experience. I’d be happy to look into this further (we take the values and behaviours of our staff very seriously). If you wish me to follow-up, please get in touch with me at lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk if you want to discuss.

Matron, Emergency Department

Susan39 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

A long, uncomfortable wait in A & E

Attended emergency department after assessment by 111 nurse, in excruciating pain nausea, very severe headache and chills. Have been admitted before and become critically ill as have kidney stones. I was streamed relatively quickly but was horrified to see the wait time was over the 4 hours. This would have been acceptable if during that time there was some care and compassion from particularly the nursing staff. I'm guessing morale is low because basics such as offering some relief of excruciating pain, kidney stones are acknowledged to be an extremely painful condition.
I was left sat in very hard chairs, restless, in pain, nauseous having informed I hadn't kept down fluids and food for quite some time. I observed a sign that mentioned to ask for pain relief if not offered but I felt unable having heard a patient who may have been inpatient and not an emergency, still clearly distressed be admonished for complaining.
The wait continued then we were moved to a new area. Meanwhile after such a time in the department, no reassurance or checking on well being, I braved with an apology first asking what was happening next, but also because the pain at this point was relentless made worse by being uncomfortable. Yes, I appreciate it is not meant to be luxury but metal hard seats for hours when you are quite unwell isn't pleasant for anyone. The nurse could not give me any answer as she didn't know the department and I explained my pain was told she would ask. This did not occur and after some time again and at a point feeling very distressed I asked again and was rather bluntly told I could have pain relief that was not only inadequate, but given I already explained the severe vomiting and nausea I explained didn't want to add to my difficulties. I thought especially as in an area of I vomited would not only be unpleasant to manage, but undignified and also unpleasant for those seated near me. I was basically told that was all they prepared to do until a doctor attended this area.
I know services are stretched, demand is high, emergency a priority. However, I feel patients treated in this way could deteriorate unnoticed, or leave which might be deemed acceptable in some cases, but again has risk nonetheless. I was advised to call an ambulance, I did not struggling to get in myself, but sadly had I done I'm pretty sure acute management of immediate presenting symptoms namely in my case pain relief and anti emetic in a manner appropriate to clinical need would have been undertaken and thus rendering whatever the wait bearable in some measure.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 12 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Dear Susan.
I am saddened to read the account of your experience and apologise. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you wish to do so, please do contact me directly by emailing lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk or calling 0115 9249924 ext. 70181

Matron, Emergency Department.

Anonymous gave Critical care at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 2 stars

Communication Awful

My mother was on E12 following surgery.

I would like to start by saying the care she has reviewed has been good.

However communication to myself and family has been dire.

Staff seem to have no appreciation of the stressful time patients families are going through and only seem to make up answers to questions or dismiss them entirely. The delay of a patient returning from a procedure by a considerable number of hours seemed insignificant to nursing staff on E12, despite families obvious concern.

Staff, including the nurse in charge on this day need to go back to the drawing board with regards their communication and empathy.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 12 April 2016

I apologise for the poor communication and lack of empathy and understanding shown by members of the team. With your mother’s permission I will look into this so that we can learn from this experience. If your mother would like me to do so she can contact me directly on jenny.bakewell@nuh.nhs.uk or call 0115 9249924 ext. 69012 and ask for me or one of the ward managers.

Jenny Bakewell.
Ward Manager, E12.

Sarah-Jane gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Superb care

I was admitted at 16 weeks pregnant with suspected appendicitis. From the moment I walked through the door the whole team were kind, caring and hugely supportive. I was terrified about losing my baby and in an awful lot of pain. I felt so cared for during my stay. I cannot thank the team enough for everything they did for me and my bump.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 18 April 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 18 April 2016

Hi Sarah-Jane.

I am pleased to hear you felt well-cared for and supported during what must have been a worrying and distressing time for you.

I’ve shared your feedback with staff, who greatly appreciate your comments.

Benita Brear.
Matron, Gynaecology .

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

emergency department treatment

i spent 6 hours in the emergency department yesterday. the staff on the reception were a little cold and off hand but from then on the treatment was excellent. the staff all worked well together and were very friendly and helpful. the doctor i saw couldn't have been more helpful and understanding and went out of their way to reassure me at a stressful time for me. it was a very biusy day and they treated all of us with respect and patience.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 21 April 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. It is appreciated. I’m sorry you didn’t receive a warm welcome when you arrived at reception. I will look into this for you and remind colleagues of the behaviours we expect and difference this makes to our patients (and their first impressions of NUH). However, it’s nice to read that the rest of your experience went well and all staff provided such good care. I’ve shared your comments with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department.

Anonymous reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Wrong operation

I was supposed to be assed for a Middle Ear Implants but was assed for a BAHA instead. When I realised the mistake(I thought BAHA was a medical term for this op as they are very similar) Stupid me! I was then told by a member of staff at Rope Walk that Middle Ear Implants were not available to NHS patients and would be of no use to me as I have ear infections. Ear infections is one of the reasons Middle Ear Implants can help. I keep trying to contact EENT to speak to someone regarding this as I have been put forward for the BAHA.

If Middle Ear Implants are only available to private patience surely we should be made aware of this at the time.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 25 April 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you for getting in touch. I am sorry you have had difficulty getting in touch with the service.

If you would like to contact me directly so that I can look into this further, you can do so via Keith.Knox@nuh.nhs.uk or call me on: 0115 924 9924 ext 64127 I will help ensure your questions are answered.

Keith Knox
Matron, Head & Neck

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service at Eye Casualty and ENT

We visited the eye casualty one day as my son had a small eye infection. We were seen and given medication and told to come back if it worsened. It certainly had the next morning (eye the size of a golf ball) so we returned.
We were seen immediately and initially given oral antibiotics. Having arrived at 09.00hrs my son had had a CT Scan, diagnosis and was in ENT bed by 12.00hrs on IV antibiotics.
I cannot praise all staff (reception/nurses/doctors and consultants) enough for their professionalism, kindness and excellent work.
My son was on the ward for 6 nights with IV antibiotics and was accessed for the first 2 mornings to see if he needed an operation. it was agreed on day 3 that the antibiotics were working and so gratefully no operation required.
I would like to say thank you to all involved. I am sure they are all overworked especially at this difficult time in the NHS but I have nothing but praise for them.
My son is better now after being sent home with 10 days more oral antibiotics.
Once again thanks to all the staff in ENT/Eye casualty and those involved in the CT scan.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 28 April 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 28 April 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Eye Casualty team. I’ve shared your feedback with the team. We are pleased to hear your son is feeling better (and didn’t need to have an operation).

Best wishes to you and your family
Keith Knox,
Matron, ENT

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

I would just like to say thank you to all who works in E14 they have my thanks..

I would just like to say thank you to all who works in E14 they have my thanks for a speedy recovery and looked after me with great care.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.