Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Jane gave Nottingham Diabetes Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Ward C53 thankyou

A thank you to all the staff on C53 for taking care of my mother during her final days. They have a high regard for dignity and respect and I appreciate all the excellent care they gave to her. Thank you from all my family.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 02 February 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 02 February 2016

My condolences to you and your family. It is pleasing that our staff could make things a little easier for you all, especially your mother, at this incredibly difficult time. Thank you for your kind feedback, which I’ve shared with the team on C53.

Lorraine Anderson.
Ward Manager, C53.

Rory123 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Our birth

We just want to say a huge thank you to the midwives of the QMC Sanctuary birth centre and the post-natal ward. Our baby was born at the weekend and we had a lovely experience of the facilities and staff. Everything was very calm and reassuring and we ended up having a water birth with gas and air when I had been fully expecting to end up with more intervention. It was a clean and comfortable place to be and everyone was very good afterwards with helping us get our baby feeding and settled. Very humbled by the caring and enthusiastic attitudes of the staff and would like to wish them all the best. Thanks again.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 08 February 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 08 February 2016

Many congratulations on the birth of your baby. Thanks so much for sharing the details of your experience in our care. I’ve shared your kind words with the QMC maternity team, who asked me to pass on their thanks to you.
All the best,
Kay Khan,
Matron, QMC Maternity

Patient Opinion Logo

Kelly-Marie gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Staff are caring, cleaniliness lets it down

My mother was recently on ward C53 where many of the staff were very caring and helpful. Myself and my father agree that the cleanliness of the ward wasn't up to scratch. We took wet wipes in ourselves daily to clean the table as this was dirty on a daily basis. The floor under mums bed was black with dirt. We most certainly didn't feel this was a clean place to help patients get better. The visitor chairs were also dirty under where you pick them up to carry them. Many occasions we came in to find one of mums dirty pads left on the chair next to her and one occasion there was a used pad in with her washing for us to take home. On the bay we were located on we felt there wasn't a lot of nurse presence apart from when they came around to do the obs. Obviously we understand there cannot be someone present on a bay all the time however it did seem like many hours at a time where we wouldn't see anyone.
We first started our visit at the A&E department arriving at 7.15pm where my 73 year old mum was left on a trolley in the middle of the reception until 3am when I asked for her to be moved into a cubicle as she was in much need of rest. In all the time we were there both myself and my father (69 years old) had to stand by her bedside.
The hospital restaurant is also closed at weekends so you only have the option of a sandwich or toasted sandwich at the café located at the main entrance.
There is a problem with parking as you have to be lucky to find a space!
The general condition of the hospital we feel is now a 'little run down' due to its age but luckily most of the staff are happy to talk to you if you have any questions or if you need directions in the corridors (these are very well signposted)

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 05 February 2016

Hi Kelly-Marie.

Your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very concerned to read your comments about poor standards of cleanliness on the ward. I am responsible for monitoring all standards on the ward. Your comments do not reflect our audits results and wider patient feedback received. I will, however, in light of your helpful feedback pay even closer attention to ensure improvements are made where required. I would be pleased to speak to you about your concerns about cleaning and visibility of nurses on the ward. If you wish to do so you can contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 69053 or by email lorraine.anderson@nuh.nhs.uk.

I am sorry that your mother was cared for on a trolley in our Emergency Department until a bed became available in our hospital. We appreciate this is not good for patient experience or privacy and dignity of our patients, but it does mean our clinical team can more closely observe patients when the department is busy (especially to ensure the safety of patients who, for instance, are at risk of falls etc.).

We appreciate parking at QMC in particular is tight. We are making a series of improvements to reduce congestion on the site. This includes a full review of staff car parking permits and promoting the use of the tram and public transport to get to the hospital.

We take on board your feedback about the poor availability of hot food for visitors over the weekend. We have shared your suggestion with relevant colleagues so that they can consider when making future improvements to catering at our hospitals.

Lorraine Anderson
Ward Manager, C53

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Nightmare visit

Visit to ED with son,
Hours in corridor waiting for doctor
Staff obviously pushed to the limit with amount of patients
Finally seen by consultant who was very brusque and sent him home without any advice or explanation of what the problem was.
Had to phone GP to get follow up advice!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 06 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 January 2016

I’m very sorry to hear this. Our Emergency Department has been incredibly busy over the last week or so, but regardless, this behaviour and poor communication isn’t acceptable. If you would like me to look into your individual case further, please do feel free to call me on 0115 924 9924 ext 70181.

Lucy Thow
Matron, Emergency Department

Hazel gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Smoking

I had a grandson born Xmas Eve and another New Year's Day. You ought to be ashamed of the fact that when they both left QMC they had to be carried through smoke at the main entrance! Also I do not appreciate cigarette ends stuck to my shoes! Patients and staff and visitors seem to think it is ok to gather round the doors smoking. It is impossible to sit on the benches for a bit of fresh air without the foul smell of smoke drifting across.
I was in contact two years ago regarding this. And, nothing has changed. Do you think it is acceptable? And I would like to ask what are you going to do about it. Maybe, you don't have to pass through the main entrance so " out of sight out of mind" cones to mind.
Throughly appalled by the continuation of this practise.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 07 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 13 January 2016

I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience.
We acknowledge that people smoking on NUH premises remains a problem and causes a lot of distress to all hospital users including patients, visitors, staff and neighbours.
Smoking is not allowed anywhere on campus, except in the most extenuating circumstances.
We have a zero-tolerance policy to staff who are found smoking, and staff members are warned that they will face potential disciplinary action if they are found smoking.
NUH works closely with patient groups to listen to their concerns about smoking and we have invested in a high profile public information campaign to help smokers consider the impact of passive smoke on patients who come through the hospital.
We are also working with the local health community to improve the support we provide to smokers to help them quit while they are inpatients.
I have shared your comments with my colleagues who oversee our strategy to combat smoking, they appreciate your feedback.

Andrew Steggles
Patient experience officer

David gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

A&E visit on a Friday night

I had excellent care at QMC last night. There was enough staff to deal with the many patients you would expect on a Friday night. I was seen by various nurses in different areas within A&E and never left for more than 30 minutes. I was there for 3 hours in total, which I consider to be perfectly acceptable for a Friday night. The staff were professional, caring and did a wonderful job. Thank you NHS.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 January 2016

Great stuff. I’m pleased our fantastic Emergency Department team ensured you received timely care and that you felt they did a good job. I’ve passed on your message to the team, who asked me to thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

My best wishes to you,
Lucy Thow,
Matron, Emergency Department

Em gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 3 stars

Generally excellent

I was admitted to the spinal ward over a weekend at around 1am and while the care from the Nurses was excellent, the on-call Drs I saw during the rounds tended to speak over my head, as though I wasn't there. That said, I was sent for an emergency MRI the very morning I arrived and investigations into my condition began immediately and very thoroughly. When tests came back clear, again Drs would talk over my head to inform me that in their specialty field I was fine, really with attitudes that said "you don't need to be here, please go home and stop wasting our time", However, I cannot stress how fantastic the Nurses were during those first two days whilst I was in pain and very scared. Nothing was too much trouble and despite how fast things moved and changed on the ward, you felt like you had their entire attention and would not move on until you were happier.

I was then moved onto a larger, more general ward (I think the other one might have been an acute type ward) and again, the standard of care off the Nurses was second to none. Each member of staff would address you by your preferred name and would introduce themselves and tell you what their role was in your care before doing anything else. Despite the ward being incredibly busy, there was never a sense of rushing to get things done or to move on to other patients, they talked with you, treated you like an actual person which was wonderful and very clearly explained anything you didn't understand. The Dr who I was assigned to over the week was incredible. I expected them to be very similar to the others I had seen but in fact they spent time getting to know me, sat with me and explained things over and over and over until I understood and would even come back during visiting hours, to re explain to my family what they had said to me, so to keep us all updated. The doctor's standard of care was fantastic and I will be writing to the hospital and to thank the doctor for all they did.

Referrals to Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Psychiatrists and other services were processed incredibly fast and in the same way as the Drs and Nurses, communication was excellent.

Sadly, the only thing that really let the hospital down was the way my discharge was handled. I wasn't officially told that I would be discharged until about 2 hours before I was and only really picked up on it when my Dr made a comment that I would be discharged on Monday. At this point it was Friday so I began to let people know. Later on I overheard another comment that in fact it was more likely to be Sunday evening, and then it changed again to be Saturday morning- all within roughly 8 hours. Suddenly I had my family panicking about making sure home was ready for me to arrive with crutches etc but still we had had no confirmation off anyone. In fact it was only when my family arrived at the hospital on the Saturday morning to pick me up that they were officially informed!

On the whole, excellent, just a few lets downs.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us. I’m pleased that your overall your experience in our care was a good one, but disappointed to hear that inconsistencies remain when it comes to our behaviours, how we communicate with patients about next steps in their care and how we prepare patients for leaving hospital.
I have shared your feedback with colleagues in surgery and medicine, though it would be helpful to know which wards you were on so we can ensure the message gets back to the right areas. You can send this to nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk. If you wish to discuss any other aspect of your care, you can contact me at keith.girling@nuh.nhs.uk

Dr Keith Girling,
Divisional Director for Surgery

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 4 stars

Children's Surgical Day Case Unit

My daughter attended the unit to have 2 teeth removed. I was expecting it to be an awful day. It turned out to be very different. I thought the unit was very well organised and all the staff were very professional, kind and caring and looked after her very well and made her feel at ease. She recovered very quickly after jelly and ice cream :)

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Super feedback. Thank you.
The healing power of jelly and ice-cream never ceases to amaze me! I’ve shared your message with the surgical day case team. In turn – they pass on their thanks to you for getting in touch.
Wishing you and your daughter well.

Kerry Webb,
Matron, Children’s Hospital

Martin gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

On 6 January at about 7am I was taken to A&E by ambulance as there were concerns about my heart I was given immediate attention by nursing staff and above all reassurance and explanations about what they were doing . I was then taken to a bay and given a full examination including an X-ray. Thankfully the diagnosis was ok for discharge and follow up treatment via my GP . The service From 111,EMAS and A&E was excellent at a time when I felt so unwell. A&E were very busy. One point I would make is that the doctor was so busy they didn't have time speak to me to explain what had been found before discharge but this was done (very well) by a senior nurse practitioner. I felt the service was excellent and took just Les than 4 hours in A&E. Thank you to you all for being their when I needed it and doing a great job at a very busy time.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 19 January 2016

Hi Martin. Thank you. I hope you are recovering well since your recent treatment at our A&E. We have had an incredibly busy January, but this is little excuse for not providing you with a full explanation of your case at the time. I’m sorry about this. I also notes the many positives in your feedback about our team in A&E and partners with whom we work closely to collectively ensure the most timely care for our emergency patients.

Lucy Thow.
Matron, Emergency Department.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Hyperemis care in early pregnancy

I honestly cannot thank the team on A23 enough for getting me back on my feet. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and suffering from hyperemis which left me severely dehydrated. My gp referred me to the ward and they have completely taken over my care now which means I can self refer if I have a particularly bad episode again. I feel relieved that I finally have someone that understands and knows the right things to do to get me back on track. The team couldn't do enough for me despite being busy and the facilities have vastly improved since my last pregnancy four years ago. Thank you all so much!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 25 January 2016

Thank you so much. It’s great to hear how we’ve been able to help you. I’ve shared your message with the team and they join me in sending you our best wishes.

Shilpa Deb,