Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

0115 924 9924 Derby Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 2UH

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Mum admitted after a fall

There is a total lack of communication on the ward. No matter when you ring it can take up to 15 minutes for the phone to be answered. Patients are left with drinks ( which they have requested I.e. Cup ofi tea) and as they fall asleep no one returns to give it to them. That is also true of hot meals. There is no continuity of care . Different staff nurses . Same for the auxiliaries . Elderly people need to be able to recognise a face. Why not keep the same nurses in one particular bay I feel that my mum has been let down by services, communication and a duty of care. I have a detailed account of what has happened during the last couple of weeks and when able and in a better frame of mind I will forward my concerns/ complaints to Pals.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 09 August 2016

Thank you for getting in touch. I am very sorry to hear about your mother’s poor care. It is most concerning to read the details of your experience. Please do get in touch with PALS when you feel ready to do so.

Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer

Disillusioned in C51 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Mixed care in C51

I'd like to begin by saying there are few nurses who brilliantly model the Care and Compassion for which Queen's Medical apparently stands. These nurses showed humanity and kindness, and for that I feel so grateful.
Unfortunately, we had 3 nurses who did not. My mother-in-law was admitted to C51 after days in the Lynn Jarrett ward with end of life care. She had a severe fall down a flight of stairs and was in a coma. When she made a miraculous turn around, she was moved to C51. I honestly cannot get into the many details of what I believe was aggressive "care", but the feeling consistency resulted in us feeling we were a bother. A member of staff reacted as though they felt challenged by any question and were dismissive and combative.
The most upsetting however, was a nurse who disagreed with the doctor's medication plan and didn't want us to share what we felt was working or not working, and was overheard twice saying It's on your pin if she dies, once in front of my mother -in-law and once loudly in the hall while laughing and repeating the phrase as we walked by. I found the complete lack of sensitivity, respect, care or compassion appalling. Additionally, we aren't from here and navigating a different country and the medical care while worried our mother would die, spending 24 hours holding her hand and managing her discomfort, all with no sleep is already overwhelming. It was, in my opinion, truly disgusting behaviour.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 05 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

I am grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch. I am both sorry and disturbed to read your message, notably regarding standards of care and values and attitudes. I would welcome an opportunity to sit down with you (or have a phone call) if you would be prepared to do so, so that we can look into and provide you and your family with the answers and apology they deserve. Please do contact me on 0115 924 9924 ext 64732 or email rachel.saxelby@nuh.nhs.uk at your convenience.

Rachel Saxelby
Ward Manager, C51

Martin Brown gave Ophthalmology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Retinal detachment surgery

I had this. Surgery as it was urgent, was treated by two consultants with excellent treatment, thanks to them and support staff.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that your urgent surgery went well. I've shared your feedback with the team.

Keith Knox
Matron, EENT

Anonymous gave Neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Complete waste of my time and NHS time

Attended for an MRI scan to be told that they couldn't do half of the scans because I had eye make up on and I would have to come back another time. This was not on the letter I was sent and I was not told whilst I was sat in reception during the 45 minute delay when I could have removed it or during the questionnaire I went through with the radiologist! Not only is this a complete waste of my time and another NHS appointment but could lead to a delay in diagnoses. It is no wonder the NHS is in the state that it is. Please could someone contact me as I wish to make a formal complaint.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 10 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 11 August 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I am very sorry to read about your experience. Our poor communication resulted in you wasting your time and time not being used most effectively. It’s important we learn from this and put it right for other patients.

You can make a formal complaint by writing to our Chief Executive, Peter Homa. You can find the full details via our website here: https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/pals,-patient-experience-and-complaints/complaints/

Alternatively, you can call PALS, our patient advice and liaison service, who can discuss your concerns and guide you through the complaints process. You can email them on pals@nuh.nhs.uk or call them on 0800 183 0204 to leave a message and they will get back to you.

Nicola Kennedy.
Head of Radiology Services.

Brian S gave Major Trauma Services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant care

I recently got admitted to Adult Intensive Care in West Block at Queens Medical Centre Nottingham. The staff were amazing very knowledgeable & the care I received from the nursing team along with the ITU doctors were simply amazing. Every one helped me when ever I need assistance plus the respect & dignity the staff gave me was 5 star and I couldn't ask for better when I was recovering from my trauma operation. I would like to say a massive thank you for the care & help I received from all the ITU staff at QMC Nottingham.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 12 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 15 August 2016

What lovely comments; thank you. I’ve shared your feedback with our staff. They will be delighted to hear that you felt you had 5 star treatment.

Thanks again for the feedback, I hope you’re recovering well.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Selwyn.
Matron, Adult Intensive Care Unit.

Sasquatch Sydney reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus

Child number two took a sky dive down the stairs, biting his tongue and...

Child number two took a sky dive down the stairs, biting his tongue and bursting his nose. Deliberately went to walk in centre as had read the press to avoid ED due to system change.
Superb service at walk in centre next to BBC but advised emergency department based on size of hole in tongue. Checked in at ED and Child No. 2 was quickly assessed by a very pleasant nurse, who put Child No. 2 at ease and let me know what was happening.
After a relatively short wait back in the waiting area the doctor gave Child No. 2 a very friendly, caring and thorough examination and provided advice to self on what to expect / look out for.
Appreciate systems are changing tonight but just wanted to say thanks for providing a great service. More importantly doing it in a professional, quick and friendly fashion. Well done all of you: )

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 12 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

It sounds like child No. 2 had a nasty accident! Fingers crossed they are recovering well now back at home. Thank you for the feedback. It’s greatly appreciated, especially after a busy weekend when we have had a major ICT system change.

Best wishes to you and your family (including child No. 2!)

Lucy Thow.

Maureen gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

An experience of "excellence"in practice.

For the past forty years I have lived in Australia and this was my first involvement with the NHS since that time although I have visited the UK many times I have never required medical attention. After receiving outstanding care at the Emergency walk in Centre in Seaton House I was referred to the Acute Medical Receiving Unit, (AMRU) at Queens Medical Centre. Again, I was greeted by a smiling reception person who Informed me I was expected, quickly verified my details and placed a wristband on my arm. I was informed I would initially be seen by the nurse, had the opportunity to ask further questions and took a seat in a very comfortable chair. In a few moments another smiling face appeared and provided me with a much appreciated cup of tea. Within a 5 minute interval I had been assessed by a friendly, highly competent nurse who treated me courteously and respectfully, provided me with appropriate information and answered my questions. During this time the nurse recorded my vital signs, an ECG, and blood was taken for various diagnostic tests. The Nurse's competency in being able to take blood painlessly from my very 'collapsed' veins was appreciated. Twenty to 30 minutes later I was seen by the doctor. I gave a verbal history of my illness and this was followed by a thorough physical examination, I was given information at a level conversant with my background, my questions again answered courteously and respectfully. At this stage I was very impressed by the care and attention I had received from the moment I entered the NHS system. Not a moment was wasted. I was fully informed at all stages during my out patient experience. I, receivied all the information I required and understood the relevance of all tests and the outcome of the care I had so far received and what would happen next as I progressed through the system. Everyone was extremely caring, keeping me informed all along the way; I felt safe and secure knowing I was getting the best possible care available. Later a chest X-ray was ordered and finally my case was reviewed by the Consultant who gave me further reassurances about my medical condition. At this point I was discharged with adequate information to confidently return to my family members home. Thank you to everyone involved in all aspects of my care. Everyone had a kind, caring manner, you treated me with respect, you listened and gave me all the information I could handle. Thank you AMRU staff for your outstanding care and attention, this really was "excellence" in practice.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 16 August 2016

This was excellent feedback. Thank you for getting in touch to share your full experience of our hospital. I’ve shared your words with the AMRU team, who are incredibly grateful to hear that you experienced such good care while you were with us.

Wishing you all the very best,
Helen Malia
Acting Matron, Acute Medicine

Kevin Beswick gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Treatment and Care in Ward EC25

In the 24hr period I was in the ward I must have met over 20 of your staff ranging from the doctor and nurse who gave me urgent treatment through infection control nurse to staff that provided food and cleaned my room. All has a welcoming manner and carried out their duties as though I was their top priority. I was left very humbled by their dedication and want to put on record my thanks to each and every one of them.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 17 August 2016

Thank you for your kind words - I've shared them with the whole team on C25. We are all grateful to you for writing and sharing your experience of our ward.

Warmest regards,
Sue Mazengarb
Ward Manager, C25

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 1 stars

Shocking

Absolutely ridiculous, arrived in a and e saw the doctor told me to go to X Ray but left me in the room until I got up and had to direct my self to X Ray. However the X-ray staff were so lovely and helped comfort me. Then told to wait in another room which been in serious pain no help until I demanded pain killers.. Still waiting in ridiculous pain no sign of what is happening with the nurses and staff as they are too busy giggling and gossiping

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 21 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus replied on 22 August 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you’re unhappy with your experience in the A&E, notably lack of pain relief and concerns about staff behaviours/communication. I would be happy to discuss this further with you so I might get more detail and look into your concerns. I am out of the office today and have limited access to my emails but I will respond as soon as I can if you email me on lucy.thow@nuh.nhs.uk.

Lucy Thow.
Matron, Emergency Department.

Over60 gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus a rating of 5 stars

Ward C25 Saturday Afternoon

My Husband had a severe ear infection called 111 sent to Kirkby in Ashfield to see a Doctor, who suggested my husband should go to QMC despite living in Mansfield, but apparently no ENT at weekend at Kings Mill, so went to QMC what a credit to NHS staff on ward C25 are, made to feel comfortable seen by Doctor treated very well given prescription and on our way within the hour superb, a very big thank you to one and all.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen's Medical Centre Campus has not yet replied.