Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

BMI Woodlands Hospital

Telephone: 01325 341700
Address: Morton Park Way, Darlington, DL1 4PL
Website: http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/woodlands

Steph reviewed Gynaecology at BMI Woodlands Hospital

Never again at this hospital

This was the first time I was to use Woodlands on a NHS choose and book system. I selected Woodlands as it had the shortest waiting list. I made the appointment online with choose and book after selecting an appointment day and time suitable to my needs. I rang Woodlands the week before my appointment day to confirm my appointment as had not received a letter. I spoke to a member of staff who informed me yes I was on the computer, I had the appointment and also who I would see, I turned up for my appointment after the journey from Stockton during rush hour traffic. Upon arrival I was told I was not on the clinic list, upon looking on the computer they could see my appointment but then said there must have been an admin error and that they would have to see if I could be seen but there would be no notes as the staff had gone home. Now firstly what is the point of seeing a consultant who doesn't actually have your notes and why was I told I had an appointment when I didn't. I was extremely annoyed about this and feel sure if I had been a paying customer things would have been different. I was given a number to ring the next day to try to make an appointment. Why should I have to ring when it is was your mistake. No offer of we will call you. I have had to wait until today to get in touch with choose and book and also my own GP practice to tell them about this. I am not impressed with the service at this hospital, would not recommend and now I am having to go through the process of choose and book again when I get a new reference number and start all over again at a choice of different hospitals. Woodlands has wasted my time and by the incompetence has increased my waiting time now at a different hospital. If this is what a private hospital is like you can keep it. Will keep on using NHS hospitals as I always have from now on.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 22 July 2015

Barry Dee gave Ophthalmology at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 1 stars

commitment to keeping appointment times by consultants

I had an appointment for a yag laser capsulotomy arranged for 8.30 am on Saturday 6 June but the consultant did not put in an appearance at the hospital until approaching
9 am
There was no apology for their late arrival by the consultant themself or members of the hospital staff
It was just as well I had not had my pretreatment eye drops due 20 minutes before the appointment time otherwise I would have had to have them again
On my follow up appointment on 16 June arranged for 10.30 am which was carried out to closer 11.am which lasted not more that about 5 minutes the consultant afterwards asked me to wait about 5 minutes in reception and they would then arrange for the billing of their time
After a wait of approximately 25//30 minutes I informed reception that I could wait no longer because I had a prearranged appointment in Stockton for 12 noon
At no time was any apology given, for what I would describe as total indifference to the needs of the patients
The consultant seemed to be a law unto themself and in my opinion thought that only their time is valuable and as a result their patients are left waiting
At the time of my follow up appointment there were other people waiting to see the the same consultant and one of them who had an appointment for 10.25am had still not seen the consultant at 11.30am despite making several approaches to Reception
I think that this was an experience that I would not like to be repeated
Incidentally I was a self pay patient

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 19 June 2015

Mxmarkb gave General Surgery at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great Hospital and wonderful staff.

I attended woodlands for a hernia repair under the NHS. From entering the door, the staff were helpful and respectful. I was shown to my own room, which was very clean. The staff were excellent throughout my whole stay, all the way from the catering nurse, my personal nurse right through to my surgeon. I was kept fully informed of the full procedure.
As this is not a mainstream hospital, the staff have more time to give you the care, without the hustle and bustle that I have seen in other hospitals. This means a lot and gives you the impression that they care for your treatment and feelings.
I send a big thank you to all of the staff. It was much appreciated.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 21 January 2015

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 02 February 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very pleased that your stay with us was pleasant and comfortable. We'll share your kind comments with the rest of the hospital team.

David Little gave General Surgery at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hidden costs

Beware going to a BMI hospital, there are hidden costs compared to a Nuffield Hospital, you are charged for a premed, crutches some medication etc which are normal built in to your procedure at Nuffield .
Physio is normally built in to your procedure at Nuffield not at Woodlands
I was not offered a drink, not even water in my room after surgery, had to ask for food and pain killers after being in my roomfor 3 hrs
Had only one visit from a nurse in 3 hrs
Worst experience in 36yrs of being a private patient

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 03 February 2015

MOZ gave General Surgery at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

total knee replacement

outstanding nothing is to much for any of the staff from the beginning of my appointment seeing the doctor to the end of my knee replacement outstanding you can not improve on exerllance and that is what the staff are thank you so much

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 05 May 2015

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 10 June 2015

Thank you for sharing your feedback, which we are really pleased to read. We have passed on your kind comments to the hospital team.

Anonymous gave BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day case visit

I had a procedure here as a day case patient. From my initial appointment through to diagnostic scans and my eventual surgery, the care afforded me was outstanding. I have never had a more thorough explanation of my condition and all my choices of treatments and would wholeheartedly recommend this facility. I felt like a private patient being treated on the NHS.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 18 March 2014

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 22 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very pleased that you had a positive experience at our hosptial. We will share your comments with the rest of the team.

wendy gave at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

had my gallbladder removed on 24th jan 2014

I stayed in my own room with television wifo and internet access which was excellent to communication. I stayed overnight and my consultant the anaethetit and all the nursing staff were excellent. Cared for me round the cock and ver courteous and friendly. My husband also had his hernia operation here and again everyone was excellent very professional with a very high standard of care

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 25 January 2014

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 12 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very happy to hear that your stay with us was comfortable.

Anonymous gave at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very poor experience!

I arranged for my very elderly mum to see a consultant here privately, just because she was so poorly I didn't feel we could wait for a NHS appointment. The consultant we saw had no knowledge of her medical history - apparently this cannot be passed on by NHS to Woodlands - had I known this I wouldn't have bothered as my mum wasn't able to explain and I didn't know everything.
We agreed that my mum would then have a scan at Darlington Memorial on NHS and the consultant would arrange this with my mum's doctor and it would happen soon. I have since checked and been told that no scan has been arranged as the letter sent by the consultant to the doctor was"unclear". I was also told by the receptionist that I should not have expected to transfer from private to NHS, even though the consultant agreed that was a good way to continue.
I have never used private medicine before; I don't agree with it and this has totally confirmed my previous thoughts. I would have done as well, if not better, to stick with the NHS. I feel that once my mum had paid her money and it was obvious that no more money was going to be forthcoming, all interest in her case was lost!

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 27 December 2013

Paul. gave at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Knee Arthroscopy

Attended as an NHS patient. Very clean wards and professional staff. Operation was swift and went well, post surgery care was good and felt well cared for. Have been to Local NHS hospitals in the past and they are dreadful in comparison.
Knee was fully recovered in 3 months, in fact its better than it was prior to the injury! Very pleased I went here and with my surgeon.

Catering was also very good but trying to park the car is nightmare, be warned - use nearby Morrisons instead.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 02 June 2014

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 15 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that your stay with us was a positive one. We are very happy to hear that you are doing well.

vmac gave at BMI Woodlands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

good service

the best hospital i have been to

Visited in September 2012. Posted on 23 May 2013

BMI Woodlands Hospital replied on 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we will pass on your kind comments to the team. Patient satisfaction and excellent outcomes are key priorities for BMI Healthcare. We always endeavour to improve wherever we can, and ensure BMI Healthcare remains a leader in patient care and outcomes.