Castle Hill Hospital

Telephone: 01482 875875
Address: Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ
Website: http://www.hey.nhs.uk

lee-ann reviewed Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital

Hospital more like a place to go chill out for easy pay

I was on Ward 8 for a back fusion opp on the 9th april.All went well until the night time of the 9th,when I needed the toilet.the lady that came to me could not be botherd to take me to the toilet so the brought me a wheelchair with a potty init.after telling me she was to busy to help me out of bed & she had better things to do,she stood and watched me struggle to get on this thing.leaving me for 10mins she returned only to tell me how lazy I was and I needed to help myself get to & back from the toilet & put my own slippers on as she doesn't have the time to do this.So after biting my tongue I told her I couldn't do a lot as I had had back fusion,which ment I needed help more as I couldn't move much,plus I had drips and draines in my bumcheeks.Her reply was 'I am not from this ward so I don't know your background'.I also showed her how swollen my left hand had become her reply 'what do you want me to do about it'.
The next day staff had me up walking about which was fine until 2.30pm when I was starting to feel the pain from my back,i asked for pain relief for over 2hrs.Finally at 4.20pm,the lady I had been asking told the nurse who was incharge of me I wanted pain relief,to late my bady had gone into shock from the pain.Been sick,my hole body was shacking from the pain & i was in & out of consciousness not 1 nurse come to me,was only due to the ladys in the beds next to me kicking of they came. A e-mail was sent to a doctor at 4.30pm for them to come to give me other pain refief 12.30am a doctor came.I cannot begin to explain how much pain I was in & not 1 person on duty cared.If I pressed the buzzer 10mins later a lady would come laughing only to tell me 'she'd pass on the messaged.
That morning when the Consultant came to see me he complained because I was not on enuff pain relief,my drains should have been taken out the day before and I was still left in the same gown on I went into theatre in.
I camplain about how they had treated me that night never in my life have I had to beg for pain relief only to be ignored,staff were singing at 3am in the morning buzzers were going of only to be ingored while they sat and chatted.I was left 5mins in the toilet waiting for someone to walk me bk in the end I did it myself,not 1 nurse even checked and the buzzer was still going of 5mins after I got bk to my bed. Corners were skipped and patients were ignored for hours at a time. I for 1 will never go bk to this hell hole. I have never had to beg to be treated like a human before and for pain relief. I was shocked as I only heard how nice it was here. Never again. Ow and 1 last thing when I was brought out of theatre they struggled to get my bloods and heart rate up,so they had to give me extra morthphine to control the pain. 1 of the ladies I asked what was going on her reply was 'if we don't get this right your either going back into theatre or downstairs, I replyed whats downstair, 'The morgue'. Yeah thanks

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 April 2014

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Diana Mary Sharp reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital

All but excellent

Thank you very much for the excellent care and treatment I received on Ward 16 at Castle Hill on 28/29th March. I was made to feel extremely relaxed and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I would like perhaps to single out the nurse that assigned to me, my surgeon and the Registrar who, on Saturday afternoon returned to talk to me as he'd understood I was upset in the morning. This was much appreciated and reassured both myself and my husband who was there at the time. In addition the jigsaws in the day were a great distraction before my operation.
My concern was in the period before I was discharged. My husband enquired about my blood test results( which we understood would take 2 hrs.) and it was now 3 hrs. plus. He was informed by the nurse that she'd come and tell us when they arrived leaving us feeling we shouldn't ask again.
At about 7.15pm the same nurse said we could go and went to get me a clip remover. Some 15 minutes later she had not returned so I went to look for her. She was sitting at the nurses' station eating a chocolate biscuit! She'd forgotten about me! I was then ready to leave on my 1 hour journey to Cleethorpes, but I'm afraid there were no instuctions given to me(verbally or on paper) about what to do if I had any problems etc. In fact there was no "goodbye" and "I hope all goes well". All I got on turnig the wrong way on departure was "the door to go out is there" Not the way I felt a patient should be treated.
Yes I was extremely satisfied with the care and treatment I received and would recommend Ward 16 but felt my care at the end left a lot to be desired.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 04 April 2014

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Prostate Clinic April 2014

Lead nurse knowledgable and very professional. Calmed fears and superb care.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 02 April 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. We are pleased to read that your experience was that which we always aim to achieve.

If you would like to become more involved in decisions about local healthcare, we are recruiting members. By becoming a member you receive our quarterly newsletter, find out more about your local NHS and help us improve local services. You can also attend our ‘medicine for members’ sessions and respond to questionnaires. You don’t need any special skills or experience to become a member; you just need an interest in local health services. There is no commitment, you can get involved as much or as little as you choose.
For more information please either email foundation.trust@hey.nhs.uk or telephone the Corporate Affairs office on (01482) 675165.
If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk as we are always striving to improve our patients experience.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Jackie - Hull gave Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class experience

I saw the surgeon on 17/12/13 & I went into Castle Hill for a complete hip replacement on 05/03/14. I had had a pre-op assessment 2 weeks before, which fully answered all my list of questions plus some I hadn't thought of so I was feeling pretty relaxed that morning going into surgery & chatting with the surgical team. The spinal anasthetic was completely pain free & they were all so efficient that I was on the ward eating lunch almost before I knew it. The nursing team on Ward 9 were obviously very busy but I can't fault anyone concerned with my treatment. Everyone was professional but caring & humourous & there was a good atmosphere. The physiotherapy & occupational health teams soon have you exercised & assessed & I was able to be discharged after lunch on 07/03/14, walking on my two sticks & with a bag full of medication & aftercare instructions.
I was very impressed with the whole experience & would highly recommend it.
I should also mention the food, good choice & quality which always helps & the good standard of housekeeping.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 01 April 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. We are pleased to read of your experience and wish you a speedy recovery following your hip replacement procedure.

Trevor gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency admission to C M U

Six days ago I was admitted to cardiology after suffering a heart attack, I was rushed straight through to the Cath lab were I received life saving treatment. Although I was in a lot of pain and very confused, I can remember every one from the ambulance crew, nurses & doctors treating me were very professional & caring talking to me and reassuring me all the time.
After the operation I was taken up to the CMU ward, were I was nursed by a team lead who was absolutely first class he took time to explain every thing to me, totally putting me at ease although the night whilst still efficiently looking after the others on the ward.
In the morning my care was handed over to another member of staff & her team who were equally professional & caring, keeping me unto date with my treatment all the time.
By now I was feeling a lot better and was allowed to do things more for myself, but the nurses were always reassuringly there making sure every thing was well.
All the time they were looking after the rest of the patients one of which was very awkward and demanding of their time, but never once did the nursing staff on both night & day shift show him anything but friendly and very professional care.

Every one involved in my care has been excellent & I cant speak highly enough of them.
many thanks.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 28 March 2014

Dear Trevor

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. We hope that you are now improving and wish you a speedy recovery.

P Morten gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Well done Ward 16 and thanks

Consultant
I was in Castle Hill Hospital for a Right Total Parotidectomy operation. On first meeting with the consultant surgeon his manner gave me complete confidence in him. I arrived on the ward at 7:30am on the day of my operation and I was first on his list. He visited me twice back in my room to make sure all was well. I was asked on regular occasions every day by the nursing staff if I was in pain and did I require any pain killers. The registrar came to see me each day to ask if I had any problems and to answer any questions or concerns I had. The registrar was really pleasant, polite and very easy to talk to.

Ward cleanliness - I was most impressed by the cleanliness and the fact that my room was constantly being cleaned and that all waste bins were clearly labelled as to what one could put in them.

Food - Nobody should expect the quality of food to equal food cooked at home as meals are produced to feed a large number of people, all to be fed a the same time .I was however really impressed with the food and choice offered to me during my three day stay and I ate all my meals. The smoked mackerel salad in particular I really enjoyed - well done the catering staff.

Nursing staff - I was well looked after by all nurses during my stay and I must mention one nurse who even lent me her mobile phone to call my son as I could not get mine to work.

Conclusion - Could not fault anything during my stay on Ward 16 and I would have no hesitation in recommending this ward to anyone. As Ward 16 is the only part of Castle Hill I have had experience of, I am unable to comment on the rest of the hospital.

P. Morten

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 23 March 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. It is good to read that your whole experience in the hospital was beyond your expectations.

Jan Gill gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 5

I would like to give my praise for the staff on Ward 5 who work very hard with total dedication. Though I was surprised to find that highly trained nurses were spending time dispensing meals etc. My appreciation can also be extended to the Consultant for her expertise and care. The staff in the Lab were very attentive and considerate. All procedures carried out were explained fully and I was given the opportunity to ask questions about my treatment.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 21 March 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. Ensuring dietry needs are met is a key element of nursing and all staff on the ward assist at mealtimes, especially with patients who require assistance, to ensure that they receive the nutrients required.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Such hard working staff

Having not had an operation since a teenager having tonsils out ,I was more than apprehensive prior to having my Achilles heel sorted out.
Any fears I may have had were eased at every stage from turning up at SAL at 7am to leaving the same day (!) at 8pm .
My surgeon was brilliant , as was the enythsatist and physio , who stayed behind to help me use crutches to allow me to go home ! In fact ALL the staff were absolutely marvellous !

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 20 March 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. Coming into hospital can be a frightening experience for many patients and we are pleased to read that you felt supported and received the assistance you required.

tigersfan reviewed Plastic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital

Excellent friendly ward

Came in for surgery , the staff were fantastic very caring and friendly , made me feel at ease. Thank you. Mr galloway

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 16 March 2014

Dear Mr Galloway
Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. We hope that you are improving following your procedure and wish you a speedy recovery.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care and treatment fit for a queen

My sister and I would like to give credit to all at castle hill hospital for the treatment and care our mum has recently received. If we had been lottery winners or royalty, we could not have got better treatment.
Firstly to the consultant who carried out a major operation on our mum, (who is almost 80) his dedication, expertise and genuine care for her was obvious to see.
To everyone on icu2 who constantly cared for her for five days. Everyone was absolutely amazing and showed such dedication.
Following on to the staff on ward 14, the cleaners, tea ladies and nursing staff. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them. We simply could not fault anything! We could go on and on, but hopefully we have said enough.
Thank you all sooooo very much, from the bottom of our hearts !
Sue and angela and of course our dear mum, jean x

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 10 March 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these. We hope that your mother is improving following her procedure and wish her a speedy recovery.