Castle Hill Hospital

01482 875875 Castle Road , Cottingham, HU16 5JQ

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The staff are what make it

I was due neurosurgery & upon arrival all staff were friendly and helpful. I met my surgeon in advance who was unbelievably friendly & informative. I felt totally reassured in their hands.
The surgery had its complications & I needed 2nd op on same day. As a result staff stayed on duty to see this through. Some even came onto the ward to see me after. I found all staff amazing & nothing was too much trouble.
I did notice a shortage of nurses on the ward however, a sign of the repeated cuts to budgets no doubt. Not their fault but the government! That said this in no way detracts from the care I received. The surgical team in my opinion cannot be praised enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Delays and then sent home

I am an ex NHS nurse now living and working in Australia and I have read all the positive reviews but I'm afraid have to add a negative review.
My step father has been waiting for cardiothoracic surgery for almost a year, he is becoming more unwell. I feel that at times there is a lack of communication between people in the multidisciplinary team around his care. He was scheduled to have surgery this week and stopped taking a certain medication as requested and as per his list. He arrived at hospital and told to go to a certain room, this was occupied so then had to wait an hour and a half. Once settled the assisting surgeon came to see him and asked about his medication. I am glad he did as if he had undergone surgery it could have resulted in serious consequences. Anyway my mother had to return to collect him which was a lengthy journey. To say that they are upset is an understatement, they would not contact the hospital to say they are upset but will sit and wait patiently for "the phone call". Well it is not good enough, I shall be writing to address the issues that they are facing in the hope that the surgery is rescheduled ASAP.
I am sure that the care that my step father will receive will be very good, if he does get there.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your step-fathers recent experience. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Cardiothoracic team.

In order to address the concerns you have raised, we would like to invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who will be able to take further details and advise accordingly. The PALS service can be contacted on:

• Online: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/feedback/

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Anonymous reviewed Castle Hill Hospital

My experience

I had an endoscopy and flexi sigmoidoscopy today I can not praise the staff enough,they all was amazing so friendly and helpful they put my mind at ease.The heamophilia nurses that I saw in the morning before my procedures was absolutely brilliant they are credit to the NHS.A big thankyou to them all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

colt woolass gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

quality care

I recently had open chest surgery and had to stay for 7 days. The level of care I received from top to bottom was fantastic. The staff were always pleasant and couldn't do enough for me. They treat patients with dignity and really take your thoughts into confirmation. At a time when the NHS is being knocked left right and centre castle hill hospital is one of the reasons I am proud that we have a health service.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Cardiothoracic team.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and they can be contacted on:

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

mini mum gave Diagnostic Physiological Measurement at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

G I Physiology, Castle Hill Hospital, Hull

I attended this Hospital 18th May 2017 for high resolution oesophageal manometry. Coming from Lincolnshire, we had an hour and half journey but all directions were very clear & helpful. I had expected a very traumatised test and was worried, but the staff explained everything all the way through and were very reasuring. The test took less than half hour, it was a little uncomfortable for a short time. I experienced no sore throat or any after effects.
I would like to thank the staff for putting me at ease and helping me through this test, not a bad experience at all!
Thank you.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 19 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Mike R gave Colorectal cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb and very caring staff

Having just spent 30 days in Castle Hill Hospital (Ward 10) I would just like to give heartfelt thanks to everyone who looked after me during this time.
You were all very caring, professional and hardworking.
I believe I couldn't have got better care anywhere and am so grateful for everything you did for me.
Many many thanks again and I wish you all well for the the future.
Kindest Regards
Mike

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Daniel Hamnett gave Urology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stay in ward 15

I was in ward 15 for three weeks in April 2017 for open radical cystoprostatectomy and Ileana conduit formation and couldn't have been more looked after in a five star hotel the staff are amazing from my surgeon to my stoma nurse and all the nurses on the ward l was kept aware of all procedures and treated with such kindness all through my stay so a very big thank you to you all for getting me through this very traumatic time.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Denise Robson reviewed Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital

My father

My father Brian from Scarborough had a triple heart by pass last week. The hospital is brilliant and so are the staff. I can't thank them enough for the professional and caring way they treated him on all occasions. Even when he was a little confused due to the after affects of the anestetic (he is 82)

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 04 May 2017

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 08 May 2017

Anonymous gave Haematology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

Re: Haematology - Whilst waiting for an outpatient appointment with my son in Queens Centre, I thought I would leave a review on our family's experiences. ALL the staff we have dealt with have been brilliant, involving the patient in all decisions and explaining everything to the family. As both inpatient (on ward 33) and outpatient he has experienced very good service and very good standard of care. He has had to wait for extended periods of time in outpatients, sometimes 90 minutes for an appointment, but he knows that he won't be rushed when it's his turn. The staff on the ward and in outpatients have a balance of humour and being serious and are always professional. When we have heard patients complaining, the staff have dealt with them courteously. All in all, making one part of having leukaemia easier to deal with.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

RB gave General Surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Communication is key

After a visit to my doctors I was then appointed to Castle Hill Hospital. I work in an industry is all about communication and I cannot fault the treatment of staff in all areas. I was told I would get a letter and I did, was told I would get a phone call and again I did. It's a small thing but excellent.

After surgery in the day surgery unit quickly, again after great communication I am back home and recovering.

The staff in the day surgery unit are an absolute credit to the NHS. Clearly extremely busy but the care shown along with much needed humour was fantastic.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Day Surgery Unit.