Check here for alerts

Castle Hill Hospital

01482 875875 Castle Road , Cottingham, HU16 5JQ

Frankie gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 27

The staff on ward 27 are amazing.My partner has been in several wards in different hospitals over the last 2years ,the care received here has been the best by far.Every single nurse on this ward seem to do a fabulous job even when stretched. The surgeon who has been treating my partner has kept me informed at every stage of his disease and made our journey of living with an incurable disease (mesothelioma) a little easier. We are now under an oncologist who has nowhere near the compassion of anyone on ward 27,This has highlighted to us just how good this ward is,

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 02 November 2016

DeniseB reviewed Castle Hill Hospital

Castlehill hospital treatment of patients

I had repeatedly asked not to be given morphine as I have a severe reaction. They gave it to me without my knowledge until I had the severe reaction. Since I complained I noticed a hostility from the staff. Where I had been given medication first I was being left till last. They ignored me and delayed giving my medication. I had a total hip replacement and I was only given paracetamol and ibuprofen. Absolutely disgusting. The power they have over vulnerable patients is a disgrace.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 13 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Terry B gave Head and neck cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Excellent Surgeon/Nurse...Dirty and scruffy auxillaries

A hospital of two personalities. First impressions were of scruffy and dirty auxiliaries, clean waiting areas and excellent Surgeon/operation room staff.
The 3 phase electrical supply box situated in the changing room of the surgery had not been tested since 2003 according to the sticker proudly stuck on it.
The initial Staff Nurse was well turned out, articulate and very good. The Surgeon was excellent and their operating room Sister professional.
How can a hospital have such contrasts? I
Great service let down badly by these impressions. It's little wonder infection spreads when no care is taken in how staff dress and trouser ends are scrapping along under shoes picking up all sorts of dirt. What happened to pride and turn out in the way hospital workers dress?

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

MK gave Urology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care of my sister in law

My sister in law was discharged yesterday after two weeks in Ward 15. The care she received while a patient was superb. Despite being obviously busy and short staffed, the nurses were attentive, patient, reassuring and extremely kind. Busy doctors had time to answer questions. Her problem was identified and treated quickly and effectively. Once she began to recover my sister in law really enjoyed the hospital food. Everywhere was very clean and bright. We are very grateful for the wonderful care she received and want to thank everyone on the ward.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Shakenbutnotstirred gave Plastic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Considerate staff

Firstly the Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals corrospondance leading up to my visit was good, giving most of the information I required. However a little more clarity on the parking arrangements would have been welcome, as i did not know the length of my stay or the consequences of overstaying I attended Castle Hill day Surgery unit 3 on 05/11/16. I had a 8.00am appointment. The waiting room was full when I got there. The Nurse did keep us informed and told us that we were in a batch and the surgeon would determine the order of treatment but we should all be out by noon. I actually went in for my minor op at about 10.30. To me this was the only downside of my treatment, i would have thought a more realistic appointment time would have been possible? It does seem this approach is more for the convenience of the Hospital than the patient. The staff , reception, nurses and surgeons are excellent. .

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 06 November 2016

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy 29.11.16

I attended Castle Hill for a colonoscopy. I was extremely nervous after the prep that is necessary before the procedure. I cannot praise the staff highly enough-this was a difficult procedure for me , as I had some complications--the theatre staff were fabulous and couldn't have been more attentive or helpful, as was the consultant. I can highly recommend the service and team- even for the most nervous of patients.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 29 November 2016

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Good care Administration / processes could be more efficient

Referred from from North Yorkshire to Cardiology centre for angina/coronary heart disease issues. Pre-procedure tests undertaken efficiently but would have been better if could have been done by local hospital rather than travel 90 miles for 15 minutes. Planned date for procedure was cancelled within 30 minutes of arrival involving another 90 mile trip and arrangements made by family. This procedure was rescheduled within 2-3 weeks but no consideration given to travel times for patients coming from beyond Hull. I don't doubt the clinical excellence of the unit which is also very clean and should be commended but is let down by front line customer facing admin stars in places. All staff should also introduce themselves by name and role.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 November 2016

Jane B gave Surgery - Breast at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast cancer care

I was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer in August 2014 and chose to have all of my treatment at Castle Hill. The treatment consisted of chemotherapy, mastectomy, radiotherapy, herceptin and last month a reconstruction. I have been so impressed bythe care, compassion and professionalism shown to me and my husband by all of the staff I have come across during this time. I have felt well informed about treatment options and felt that they were fighting with me to save my life. I cannot put into words how grateful I am not only for the treatment itself but for the way I was treated. Thanks especially to the Oncologist and surgeon.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 03 November 2016

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Having just spent a night on ward 8 following removal of my gallbladder I would like to thank every member of staff I met. They all, without exception went out of their way to be kind and friendly. I cannot praise them highly enough, from the lovely staff who serve the food, through all the nurses, the anaesthetist and surgeon and all other staff. Thank you all so much for making a daunting experience so stress free

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 13 October 2016

Chris gave Plastic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Treatment

I have to pay tribute to the professionalism of the surgeon and team. The staff in the Day Surgery department for their dedication to their patients. They were efficient and kept me well informed at all times. The trainee staff were also trained well and with professional patience which reflected in their ability to reassure me as a patient. All in all it was a very positive experience having not had an operation in 60 years.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 11 October 2016