Castle Hill Hospital

Address: Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ
Website: http://www.hey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ACL surgery

I went into Castle Hill Hospital for a second acl operation on my left knee after an earlier failure. I can highly rate my consultant and anesthetist who were great at calming the nerves before surgery and explaining the procedure. Once I came round from surgery the staff were excellent being very friendly and helpful. All in all I would highly rate my experiences whilst staying at Castle Hill.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

matthew cost gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 16

my name is matt i have been on ward 16 for 5 weeks now i have undergone approx15 hours surgery to remove cancer from my neck .the staff are so kind and caring realy make you feel at home mite sound daft but i will be sorry to go home i cant say how good they all are 13/7/2014

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 July 2014

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Poor post OP communication

Stayed as a day case excellent Aneasthetist, very reassuring,listened to concerns and acted accordingly.

Good pre operative information from Charge nurse.
Post OP, observations taken regularly by qualified nurse who didn't utter one word, no Hi or explanation. Not asked at all if I had any pain at any point.
Had to use nurse call after 3or 4 hours to ask for a nurse to come and explain what happens next re discharge.
Great care by unqualified staff, helpful and caring.
TV not working in room.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 06 July 2014

Judith gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Leak of communication between doctors and nurse

My 75 years young father in law was transferred from Hull Royal with a blood clot on his lung, he had been treated without a glitch at hull royal all the doctors and nurses where brilliant, he was ready to be discharged from ward 1 but got transferred to Castle Hill Ward 16 to be discharged the next morning. All we had to do was wait for his bloods to come back as they were still a little low and was prescribed Warfarin. The nurses came round the next morning on ward 16 to give all the prescriptions out, give my father in law some tablets and went. The doctor arrived and said you are not allow any tablets today as your bloods are now too thin, at which point my father in law told him he had already had the tablets from the nurse, the doctor look at his notes and the nurse had forgotten to fill in his paperwork so the doctor didn't know what tablet or the dose he had received. 4 days later he was still on ward 16, he had a allergic reaction to something at 12 midnight and was given some antihistamine and the nurse said she would come back with some cream, 18 hours later still no cream after going to find someone 3 times, no more antihistamines were given. His full body from head to foot was covered in an itchy hot rash. Every night i try and speak to someone all the nurses say, its not my ward i'm not sure, I'll find out no one every comes back to me. My father in law is still in ward 16 and I'm just waiting for the next saga.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 01 July 2014

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 3 stars

After surgery drinks and Confidentiality on WARD 16

I have on two separate occasions had reasons to stay on Ward 16, the first stay in 2012 I couldn't fault, the staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough for you, unfortunately on this second occasion I was very disappointed with the stay. When I had returned to my bed after surgery I was settled in but then just left to my own devices. I had been left a jug of water which I couldn't reach and had to wait for a passing nurse and ask her to pass it over to me, luckily I am able to ask for help but if I was an elderly etc patient this would have been a problem. When it was time for me to leave at 8pm that night they had not even filled in my discharge papers and am having to wait for them to be sent by post. My biggest concern is confidentiality. During Staff-Handover the patients names, medical conditions, treatments etc were discussed at the doorway of each patient and not in the patients closed room, I could actually hear what was been said about other patients that were nearby. Also I think more nurse-patient contact would be a good idea, the only time I saw my nurse who was assigned to "care" for me was when she admitted me so I was basically put in a room until my Consultant, Anaesthetist and and Theatre staff came to see me to explain what was going to happen.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 27 June 2014

Anonymous gave Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 8

My daughter had surgery at the end of May, we couldnt fault any of the staff we came in contact with. Her consultant and the staff on Ward 8 and the staff I saw on the morning of her op were very friendly and caring. We bought the staff some chocolates and biscuits as a thank you and this morning we received a letter from her consultant to say thank you, it was a lovely pleasant surprise to receive this! We are very grateful for all the hard work you do! :-)

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 26 June 2014

Anonymous reviewed General Surgery at Castle Hill Hospital

cleaning ???

To-day I dropped my partner off at the day surgical unit while waiting on of the hygienists ?? ( in my day they were called domestics) turned up to hygiene the area she went into the three toilets starting with the disabled on and emptied the bins that held the used paper towels and put them in a larger bag then reused the original bag's and put them back in the bin's, then she rinsed a pink jay cloth and went into the loo's and wiped the loo , sink, outside of the bin, and the top of the door frame, she used the same cloth on all 3 loo's ??!!!! Then went on to wipe the sink and paper towel dispenser, how can this be hyginic no wonder there are bugs spreading around the hospitals if this is common practice surly the n,h,s, can afford bin liners and surly to use the same cloth on the loo and then wipe a sink and bin is wrong would you do it at home I don't think many would so why in a hospital and not just clean (and I use the word clean loosely) one but three loos is beyond me both me and my partner have both worked in the n,h,s, in the past and are not impressed sort it out please thank you

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 23 June 2014

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Getting things wrong

Well its 7 weeks since my sons quadruple bypass and he is ready for rehab .As he had not heard anything he rang York because they are sorting it . As far as they have been told it is only 4 weeks since Paul had his operation . What is wrong with the Hospital how come they get things so wrong .It really needs a big sort out . I would never trust the Hospital when they get things so wrong . It needs looking into . I can't say what a good job they have done because they haven't it has been a nightmare since the first day .Thank god he won't have to go back again.The Hospital needs sorting out before something more serious happens to some one else.

Anne

Pauls Mother

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 18 June 2014

Debbie gave Gynaecology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't have been better

After receiving major abdominal surgery and chemotherapy at Castle Hill Hospital I have no complaints whatsoever about my time spent there. Although sometimes clearly short staffed, the nurses and doctors were always caring, kind and courteous throughout my stay after surgery and treatment with chemotherapy. I could not have been treated with more consideration, kindness or professionalism if I had paid for my treatment.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 17 June 2014

P G Bilsdon reviewed Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital

Further to earlier review

In reference to my earlier review I contacted the PALS service Mon 9th June and gave the information as per my review. Within 30 min the person I spoke to rang back with the information that "a dictation was on file, a letter would be typed that day and sent to my GP. This was received by the GP on Thurs 12th June I received a copy the following day. Thanks for the speedy response to a complaint. Just one question why does it take 10 weeks to despatch a letter regarding what could be a potentially serious condition?

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 June 2014