Castle Hill Hospital

Address: Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ
Website: http://www.hey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Immunology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very efficient and caring

Attended outpatient clinic on two occasions for an appointment and allergy testing. All staff were kind, friendly, and helpful, and performed the procedures sensitively and with care.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 October 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

If you would like to become more involved in decisions about local healthcare, we are recruiting members. By becoming a member you receive our quarterly newsletter, find out more about your local NHS and help us improve local services. You can also attend our ‘medicine for members’ sessions and respond to questionnaires. You don’t need any special skills or experience to become a member; you just need an interest in local health services. There is no commitment, you can get involved as much or as little as you choose.
For more information please either email foundation.trust@hey.nhs.uk or telephone the Corporate Affairs office on (01482) 675165.
If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk as we are always striving to improve our patients experience.
Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

charliesteve gave Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care of my mother

My mother is currently in the hospital and at 9 pm sunday night was moved from one ward to another. The ward she was moved to was on the first floor which meant going into an elevator. My mother is 79 years old and is petrified of closed spaces and elevators and was forced in. When the kids in the family were ill and in Hull Royal my mother walked up the stairs rather than the lift. This treatment of my mother was disgusting and I would like to know who I should contact regarding this issue.
Steve mums eldest son

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 20 October 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

Thank you for placing your posting on the NHS Choices website. We are sorry to read of your recent experience and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware.
For more information please either email foundation.trust@hey.nhs.uk or telephone the Corporate Affairs office on telephone number (01482) 675165.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Markwick123 reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Castle Hill Hospital

Call this professional care?

My mum is 84 years old and been diagnosed with bowel cancer. Appointments have bee cancelled and changed frequently and without notice. She was given results of a multidisciplinary team meeting and dates for her operation, then one day later told out of the blue that it is inoperable . How caring is that?

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 24 October 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

If you would like to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk .

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

M K Foster gave Gastrointestinal cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A credit to the NHS

My partner was in Castle Hill Ward 10 in April for an ileostomy and again just recently for a reversal, all in all something like three weeks. Having had some experience of various hospitals both in this region, in Essex, London and Oxford I have to say say that in my view this is one of the best, if not the best, hospitals I have experienced. The cleanliness and infection control is second to none as their results show, the helpfulness, friendliness and willingness of the staff on Ward 10 was faultless, indeed one would be hard pushed to believe one could get better had one gone private. The hospital itself is a credit to the NHS and the staff on Ward 10 a credit to their profession. My partner tells me that my view is echoed by himself and that what was a very worrying and at times scary process was made easier by the professionalism of the staff. I for one will be eternally grateful for all they have done and continue to do, both in hospital stays and regular clinics, for my partner

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 27 October 2014

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Iris Lockwood gave Respiratory Medicine at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lung function test

I had a lung function test at Castle Hill last week and I wish to say how smoothly everything went and how well I was treated by the staff on the unit. My appointment was on time and everything was explained thoroughly to me before the procedure by the Physiotherapist conducting my test.
The hospital was clean and also provides well for visiting out patients and accompanying friends with the coin operated machines for refreshments in addition to a shop and coffee and snack bar.

The only criticism I would make is the parking whoch, although plenty provided with each separate building, because of the number of stints and visitors it was impossible to find a space, resulting in parking out of the hospital itself.

I am wish to say how pleased I was at this, my first visit to the hospital and I shsll have no concerns in attending again soon for further tests.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 29 October 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

Dear Iris, Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these.
If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk or Patient Experience on (01482) 675189 as we are always striving to improve our patients experience.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Anonymous gave Haematology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Left Hand - Right Hand?

I was admitted to Castle Hospital in January after a major spine operation to remove a tumor. This was followed up with 5 weeks intensive radiotherapy (daily), 2 operations to remove separate halves of my thyroid (which could have been avoided with a blood test) and Radio Iodine treatment.

At every stage the co-ordination of the treatment (inter-departmental) has been abysmal. The after care from MacMillan has been non-existent and the same for the hospital after care (do they have any?)

We have never seen the same doctor/consultant twice. My wife has had to chase appointments, arrange scans etc. In particular the 'Junior' or 'Trainee' Sister on ward 31 was at best uncaring - at worst down right rude.

I am currently awaiting a PET scan as there is a possibility of a new tumor on my spine, this was marked as an 'emergency scan' by the Consultant who saw us with a follow up 4 weeks later (earlier if he could get the scan earlier.) This seems to now be denied by the receptionist and we may have to wait even longer to find out if the tumor is active.

On one occasion we were left waiting several hours in a waiting room when we came to discuss the results of a scan - only to be told that they did not have the results.

I was left for 6 hours in a 'public' waiting room to await transport - this at a time when I had just undergone Radio-Iodine treatment and was instructed (I still have the paperwork) not to be in contact with the public!! I eventually got a taxi as I felt so ill.

This Hospital really needs to sort itself out!!!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 29 October 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

If you would like to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk or Patient Experience (01482) 675189.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

betty wilson gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wonderful staff.! wonderful hospital.!

I was discharged from ward 27 on Wednesday 29th October following surgery .Everyone was amazing and so professional during my 15 day stay.I am so grateful to the consultant and his team for the care given during and after my op.Thank you all so much!Then,of course,there are the ward staff.The Sister and her team are wonderful.they are all so hard working and very encouraging to patients.i had a particularly difficult and tragic family crisis but the support offered was over and above the call of duty but was extremely gratefully received.There were times I needed to talk and times I needed to be on my own and the staff always seemed to get it right .Every single member of ward staff was amazing and I will always remember your kindness..Thank you again to the consultants and all theatre staff, the Sister and all the staff I cant recall at the moment but are no less important..finally...I must thank the catering staff...the food was mostly excellent.! my gratefull thanks to all Mrs Mary Wilson (betty) .

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 01 November 2014

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 20 November 2014

Dear Betty, Thank you for adding you comment to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we will ensure that the staff concerned are made aware of these.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

mary wilson(betty) gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wonderful staff/ wonderful hospital!

on reading my review printed a few days ago I realised I had the wrong surgical department!I was actually a patient on cardiothoracic ward.Sorry about the mix up...though I am sure I would be equally impressed wherever I had been treated

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Anonymous gave Allergy services in hospital at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The best treatment I have ever had!

I suffered with my dust mite allergies for over 10 years with various doctors not really understanding and the allergy medication not really working. I would still come home from work 2-3 times a months ill and it was really getting me down.

I started on the allergy drops in December 2012, so its nearly been two years and its the best decision I ever made. The nurses are amazing and actually understand the issues of having allergies (compared to some GPs that have no clue). I havent had a day off sick in work due to allergies in over 1.5 years. The hospital is always clean and friendly. I cant say than you enough as its changed my life!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 September 2014

Dr H gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiothoracic tumour removal

I was on ward 26 for 5 days following a major tumour removal- as a fellow medical professional I can only say the care I received exceptional.
The only thing was the food wasn't to my liking.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 09 October 2014