Castle Hill Hospital

01482 875875 Castle Road , Cottingham, HU16 5JQ

Anonymous gave Immunology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Staff at Queens Centre CHH

I needed bloods taking as requested by my GP. There was a 4 week wait to see a nurse for the bloods. I am an outpatient already at the queens centre so I contacted them to see if they could do them.
The receptionist at the immunology/heamatology clinch at the queens centre was really lovely. They were very calm and polite and nothing was too much trouble for them. They accommodated me with no fuss and was very friendly and happy to all the visitors at the centre. This receptionist was an absolute gem.
The phlebotomists despite being very busy themselves fitted me in with no hassle, all very friendly and happy.
The atmosphere was very happy and easy going and it's always a pleasure despite the circumstances to visit the centre!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 01 April 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 01 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Outpatient department in the Queens Centre at Castle Hill Hospital.

If you need to discuss our services further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on (01482) 623065 or email pals@hey.nhs.uk.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you for excellent care and support

I recently had a complete knee replacement, initially the operation had to be cancelled due to not enough beds/staff, the staff were very apologetic and I agreed the safety was a paramount concern, I was happy to wait a further two weeks (Easter was in the middle). Once in for my operation the staff were kind caring and very understanding they always offered the best care they could, they were short staffed on occasions but they did there best to ensure the ward ran smoothly and everyone's needs were met.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 08 April 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 11 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Orthopaedics team.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Catalogue of errors, rude receptionist

Arrived early for my 9:10 am appointment with a consultant, having taken a generous 2 hours off work to accommodate the appointment. Alarm bells began to ring when the other doctors appeared regularly to call in their patients but several long waiting patients sat uncalled for, like me (bearing in mind we were there early when the waiting room was almost empty). Then began the routine appearance of a nurse who would explain 'listen, we weren't told you need a hearing test, you'll need to wait about 2 hours for one and then, when that's done, I'll tell the consultant when they get in they'll see you when they can'. After two or three of those announcements my consultant appeared to call in the first patient (not one of those who needed a hearing test) 50 minutes past my appointment time. Immediately thereafter, while the doctor was walking away, a nurse came out to me and repeated the same excuse to me, minus the 'I'll tell them when they gets in' part. This nurse explained the doctor was 'running late' but couldn't explain why the need for a hearing test hadn't been communicated to either me or the relevant department. The nurse was very professional and exceptionally nice and personable. I explained I could not stay around until the afternoon as I would lose my job, which they accepted. They said that even if I waited for the hearing test there were others who had not been booked in so I would be in a queue after that. On the nurses advice I went to the desk to explain that I would need another appointment. When asked by the very professional receptionist behind the desk why I couldn't stay I explained that it appeared the consultant had only just arrived and that in any event an undisclosed hearing test would be required, which had not been booked by the doctor. At that point the receptionist behind the 'position closed' sign yelled at me 'the doctor's been here all morning actually!'. It wasn't out of character, evidently, given that they were shouting at people on the phone when I walked in over an hour earlier.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Francis"James"Smith gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant people

Ward CMU and W28.
On Fri 26th Feb I suffered a VT attack and was taken to Castle Hill hospital. It's nice to know when I needed urgent care the doctors and ward staff couldn't do enough. The Consultant explained what had happened to me and the best way to sort it. I am deeply grateful to all the ward staff for their caring and kind natures helping me through my stressful time. The ward staff are all so committed doing their job and always smiling. They are all brilliant people and I will always be forever grateful to them . After having my MRI scan I was booked for a ICD implant and this was done by another extremely clever person and they explained in detail the procedure. During my ten day stay ward nurses cleaners and catering people were absolutely brilliant. I was amazed at the choice of food on the menu at mealtimes and the food was really very nice and the tea trolley was always brought in with a smile. Ward 28 and CMU have very skilful very caring and very dedicated people a really sincere caring team and it really does show. I will be forever in their dept.
Really amazing people.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 10 March 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 17 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Cardiology team.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Eileen Douglas gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy experience

I came here for an endoscopy today feeling quite nervous about the procedure as I had one some years ago and found it quite difficult, as I had had a problem allowing the camera to go down my throat. I had decided to have sedation this time rather than throat spray, but after discussion with the nurses and then the doctor, they convinced me that they would be very gentle and if the throat spray did not help I could then have sedation. I trusted their advice and because of their skill and kindness it was successfully carried out without sedation. I would advise anyone who needs this procedure not to be nervous as the staff help you to feel relaxed and are so considerate.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 04 March 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 07 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Endoscopy team.

Paul Senior gave General Surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery

I underwent hernia repair surgery at The Daisy Building day unit. I cannot speak highly enough about the exceptional service I received as a first time patient. A great facility with amazing staff. Thanks to all. Paul Senior

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 07 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the surgery team in the Daisy Building .

Tony gave Orthopaedics at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks all

arrived at Day Surgery unit three this morning actually late by 20 minutes through no fault of the team our myself, I still went down for my operation as arranged and back home for 14:13
thanks to he consultant and team team, what a great bunch of people and the way they work together was brilliant and some of them are volunteers.
Thanks all

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Orthopaedic team in the Day Surgery Unit.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Pacemaker fitted Well cared for by all involved

It is a very fundamental experience, even for a man of 70 to have a device implanted that is scheduled to control his ongoing health for the rest of his life.

With this thought in mind I entered Cardiac 5 ward at Castle Hill hospital with considerable trepidation - knowing that I needed to have something done but wishing that it was avoidable.

The Consultant and The staff managed my concerns very professionally and guided me over the various hurdles needed to complete the process, with the least inconvenience to me.

I felt well respected and greatly appreciated the underlying levity that allowed the entire stay to be less onerous - the staff clearly understand that a little lightheartedness takes the terror out of having a pacemaker fitted.

I hate to trivialise the issue by mentioning the food, but seeing as it appears to be important to a number of patients, I might add that it was excellent and that I was surprised to find that there was a choice!

My additional thanks go to the kind person who fed me, supplied me with tea, kept my family in the waiting room informed and mopped up the blood when I didn't keep my finger on the cannula plaster as instructed!

Thank you all for giving me a second chance!

James Boam
York

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 05 February 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. We will ensure your kind comments are shared with the team in Cardiology.

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Caroline Bolton gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ICU

My brother, Richard Moore, died this morning of cardiac-related complications. I would like to express my gratitude to the team in ICU for their tireless work and compassion. They gave their all to very last stages. We are all devastated by his loss but we can at least take comfort from the fact that everything possible was done. They were wonderful.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 09 February 2016

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments to the NHS Choices website. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families. Our deepest condolences go to you and your family for the loss of your brother Richard Moore but we will ensure your kind comments are shared with the ICU team.

Benjam1n reviewed Castle Hill Hospital

Highly professional

I have recently had to visit the radiology department at above said hospital for various examinations and tests with the addition of a barium meal. I would like to say, I felt very nervous and apprehensive.
The staff were superb and treated me with the upmost respect and dignity, they were friendly and assuring, before during and after. Highly professional. Thank you.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 17 February 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Castle Hill Hospital replied on 17 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write your compliments about the Radiology services at Castle Hill Hospital. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from patients and their families and we will ensure your kind comments are shared with the Radiology team.