Castle Hill Hospital

01482 875875 Castle Road , Cottingham, HU16 5JQ

Calvin Day gave Pain Management at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Where's Your Disabled Parking?

Have you ever tried to park in a disabled car parking space at castle hill hospital??? I had to attend this there morning for a Pre-Operative Assessment. With my appointment being at 10.30am and as attending this hospital for the first time as a Blue Badge Holder, I checked the hospital website for the location of the nearest Disabled Parking. On discovering that it showed it was very close to the Day Surgery Unit, I worked out a rough time schedule for my appointment. So arriving on site at 10.10am this would leave me 5/10 minutes to park and a further 5/10 minutes to get into the DSU3 Building, hence arriving on time for my 10.30 am appointment. Or so I thought! On arriving at the Disabled Parking Area as shown on the CHH Website, I discover that this is in fact a single disabled parking space and it was already being used, I proceeded to drive around not only this Car Park, but every Car Park near enough to where I needed to be so I could get there on my crutches without being in too much pain. I was amazed to discover that there is only 1 disabled car parking space per car park!! After 25 minutes of futile searching I finally found 1 empty Disabled Car Parking Space and parked up. This resulted in me having to have an uphill walk that left me totally exhausted and in excruciating pain !!! Thanks for nothing castle hill hospital !! Why oh why is there not a sufficient number of disabled parking spaces per car park? Is it down to money? As in the hospital doesn't get any from disabled parking? Is it down to losing a parking space they would get money from? Or is it that whoever planned the layout of the car parks just didn't think about disabled parking when do the plans and only added them in at the last minute? Who knows and who cares? Certainly not the castle hill hospital !!!!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

Trish gave Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 14 answer SAL

I had a keyhole colysystectomy on 16 Dec, and was very scared. The whole thing went very smoothly and I was very reassured by the cross checking of information and advice from all the nursing staff and the Dr on SAL , they even reminded me of an allergy I forgot to mention, which proves they had read the notes! Up on Ward 14 again you couldn't have asked for better care. Lots of reassurance and attention when it was needed. Great nursing team. The only dissapointment was that I never actually met the surgeon, and it would have been nice to have talked the procedure through. However, I've had a couple of questions which I called the ward about and again, they were great.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

June Watson gave Urology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Post Christmas surgery

I had surgery for a kidney stone and cystoscopy the day after Boxing Day 2016 at the Day Surgery Unit at Castle Hill. From a warm welcome by the receptionist, through pro-op nurses, theatre staff and post op nurses I had only a pleasant, painless and stress free afternoon. I must mention the pre-op assessment nurse too. Everyone was a true professional and treated me with respect and good naturedness and humour. I didn't experience any qualms or worries in my stay there. Thank you one and all for a great experience! June Watson aged 69

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 January 2017

JohnM gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very attentive and extremely caring professional staff.

I recently had my pacemaker changed and would highly praise and thank all the staff involved in the wonderful care I received, especially the staff on the day ward who were extremely attentive and efficient. I was very impressed by the cleanliness of the whole unit and the general friendly atmosphere which helps greatly when you are feeling a bit stressed about the up coming op. I cannot praise highly enough all the people concerned but I would have some slight niggles about communication and admin issues, and also why I needed to do a round trip of over a hundred miles for a pre assessment which I thought could have been done more local to me. This does not in any way sway me from my high praise of the Cardiology unit and all the wonderful staff. Well done and thank you!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 December 2016

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Shakenbutnotstirred gave Plastic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Considerate staff

Firstly the Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals corrospondance leading up to my visit was good, giving most of the information I required. However a little more clarity on the parking arrangements would have been welcome, as i did not know the length of my stay or the consequences of overstaying I attended Castle Hill day Surgery unit 3 on 05/11/16. I had a 8.00am appointment. The waiting room was full when I got there. The Nurse did keep us informed and told us that we were in a batch and the surgeon would determine the order of treatment but we should all be out by noon. I actually went in for my minor op at about 10.30. To me this was the only downside of my treatment, i would have thought a more realistic appointment time would have been possible? It does seem this approach is more for the convenience of the Hospital than the patient. The staff , reception, nurses and surgeons are excellent. .

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 06 November 2016

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy 29.11.16

I attended Castle Hill for a colonoscopy. I was extremely nervous after the prep that is necessary before the procedure. I cannot praise the staff highly enough-this was a difficult procedure for me , as I had some complications--the theatre staff were fabulous and couldn't have been more attentive or helpful, as was the consultant. I can highly recommend the service and team- even for the most nervous of patients.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 29 November 2016

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Urgent??

I have been waiting for a procedure since June which was 'urgent' I finally got in in December and was cancelled at last minute. Was told I would be called back with another date which I wasn't so I called and was made to feel like a complete nuisance. Absolutely disappointed with the lack of compassion x

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 03 December 2016

Frankie gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 27

The staff on ward 27 are amazing.My partner has been in several wards in different hospitals over the last 2years ,the care received here has been the best by far.Every single nurse on this ward seem to do a fabulous job even when stretched. The surgeon who has been treating my partner has kept me informed at every stage of his disease and made our journey of living with an incurable disease (mesothelioma) a little easier. We are now under an oncologist who has nowhere near the compassion of anyone on ward 27,This has highlighted to us just how good this ward is,

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 02 November 2016

DeniseB reviewed Castle Hill Hospital

Castlehill hospital treatment of patients

I had repeatedly asked not to be given morphine as I have a severe reaction. They gave it to me without my knowledge until I had the severe reaction. Since I complained I noticed a hostility from the staff. Where I had been given medication first I was being left till last. They ignored me and delayed giving my medication. I had a total hip replacement and I was only given paracetamol and ibuprofen. Absolutely disgusting. The power they have over vulnerable patients is a disgrace.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 13 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Castle Hill Hospital has not yet replied.

Terry B gave Head and neck cancer services at Castle Hill Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Excellent Surgeon/Nurse...Dirty and scruffy auxillaries

A hospital of two personalities. First impressions were of scruffy and dirty auxiliaries, clean waiting areas and excellent Surgeon/operation room staff.
The 3 phase electrical supply box situated in the changing room of the surgery had not been tested since 2003 according to the sticker proudly stuck on it.
The initial Staff Nurse was well turned out, articulate and very good. The Surgeon was excellent and their operating room Sister professional.
How can a hospital have such contrasts? I
Great service let down badly by these impressions. It's little wonder infection spreads when no care is taken in how staff dress and trouser ends are scrapping along under shoes picking up all sorts of dirt. What happened to pride and turn out in the way hospital workers dress?

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016