Royal Hallamshire Hospital

0114 271 1900 Glossop Road , Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 2JF

Michelle gave Surgery - Breast at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A positive experience at breast screening

My visit was to the breast screening unit, I arrived early with my husband. After registering we went straight through to the waiting room and within minutes I was being seen by a doctor. The doctor even took the time to welcome my husband and shook his hand.
There were several procedures following that and each time I was put at ease by a support worker, the doctor and even a student. I was informed of what was happening throughout and my comfort and dignity were priority at all times. Examination, mammogram, ultra sound and core biopsy, finally a brief consultation was performed in under 2 hours. A huge thanks to all involved for making a worrying experience a calm and friendly one without compromising professionalism.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 September 2017

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for leaving feedback. Your kind and positive words will mean a great deal to the staff involved as they do strive to provide high quality care and treatment, to support people and put them at ease wherever possible. They will really appreciate and be encouraged by your feedback.
With thanks and all best wishes

Holly Des Bois gave Surgery - Breast at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast Cancer

I have recently moved to Sheffield from the south of England and was concerned that with this being a large city, the facilities might be stretched.

I was frankly delighted at my visit to the surgical outpatients department today. I was being advised on the likelihood of developing breast cancer considering my family history.

The GP was warm, professional and a delight to speak to. I didn't get the impression they were hurried and was completely focused on our conversation.

Everyone I spoke to in the hospital was friendly and helpful. A great place, well done to all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 September 2017

Dear Holly
Thank you for leaving feedback and for your kind and positive words which will mean a great deal to our staff. It is great to know you had a good experience as this is what we strive for.

Ian Gill gave Urology at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding.

I visited Urology outpatients on September 6th.
This proved to be my final visit as I was signed off.
My visits commenced in April 2014 when I was referred for your specialist care as I needed a urethraplasty.
From the moment if my first consultation, and over the last three and a half years, I have remained in awe of what the team did for me and will never forget.
Everyone within your Urology Dept. has been so friendly, helpful and caring and, from a rather desperate position back in 2014, their work and follow up checks has put me back to normal..
I know now how fortunate I was to be referred to the Hallamshire after two other hospitals realised that the work needed was particularly complex and needed a true specialist to sort the problem out
I have nothing but praise for all your staff and, send my most sincere thanks to everyone.
You are wonderful people.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

Dear Ian,
Thank you for leaving feedback. Your kind and positive words will mean a great deal to the staff involved and they will be very encouraged by them. It is great to hear you have now been able to be discharged and that your experience was good throughout.

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stereotactic Surgery

My husband was referred to The Royal Hallamshire from Belfast where he received stereotactic surgery for a brain AVM. The staff were absolutely lovely who made us both feel relaxed and well taken care of. They kept us well informed in every aspect of his treatment and nothing was too much trouble. The hospital building is clean and spacious and even though very large it is well signed and easy to find your way around. Excellent!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback. The staff concerned will be very pleased to receive your kind and positive words, it will mean a great deal to them as they do strive to provide high quality care and treatment. It is great to know that you had a good experience at our hospital during what must have been a very anxious time for you both.
With thanks and all best wishes for your husband's continued recovery

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Wait is ridiculous

I was given an emergency referral by my gp who promised I wouldnt have to wait long. 1 month later, in constant pain each day I still hadn't received an appointment through and had to chase it myself.

I have had to go weekly for the last two months. The first three weeks I had incorrect treatment and it wasn't until a different consultant saw me three weeks after my first appointment that I was started on appropriate treatment. I tried to stay under this consultant but had to chop and change constantly as there aren't any appointments available.

Then my notes were lost on one of my nurse appointments and I was waiting an hour and half to be seen. The nurse told me I'd need to see a consultant the following week but there weren't any appointments so I had to wait another fortnight.

Pretty much every time I went they were running well over an hour late. Some staff were amazing some were terrible it was complete inconsistency. I would recommend Hallamshire ENT and would try a different hospital if possible.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am really sorry that your experience has not been a good one. If you would like us to look into this further please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Services Team to provide more details. You can do this by emailing them at [pst@sth.nhs.uk](mailto:pst@sth.nhs.uk) or by calling them on 0114 271 2400.
With thanks and kind regards

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best care ever

Was seen promptly, super nice staff, thorough examination and excellent advice, even got a second opinion, sample taken straight away, could not ask for more.
Thank you!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback. It is great to know you had a positive experience and your kind words will mean a great deal to the staff concern, as they do strive to provide high quality care and treatment. They will be very encouraged.
With thanks and kind regards

RKK gave Infectious Diseases at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wife recent stay in hospital

My wife was seriously ill and spent 3 weeks in Rotherham hospital followed by a short stay in Northern General Hospital and then finally a few weeks in Hallamshire. I have nothing but praise, admiration and genuine heartfelt thanks for the treatment and care my wife received.

Doctors- We felt we had top of the range care from these professionals who not only gave us their clinical experience, but communicated excellently what was going to happen and how. Also, they always showed respect and care to myself and my wife giving us reassurance.

Nurses- a credit to the NHS. They sometimes seemed to be short staffed but never once demonstrated any less care and attention to my wife's needs. Competent, caring and thoroughly professional- nothing was too much trouble. This is in complete direct contrast to our experiences in the other two hospitals earlier of which I am ashamed to even mention. Lovely people who displayed genuine care fro my wife.

Catering- my wife had lost a lot of weight and was not eating properly. The catering staff helped brilliantly with their friendly and compassionate attitudes. Again- nothing was too much trouble as they appreciated my wife's condition and accommodated her. They fed my wife!!

Altogether, the staff at this hospital, and in particular, this ward have helped get my wife on the way to recovery. This what we all should hope the NHS should be like- with staff going into this profession because of a caring disposition.

Impressed and thoroughly happy!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 August 2017

Dear RKK
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I am really sorry to learn your wife has been ill and that you have both been through this distressing experience. Your kind and positive words about the care and treatment your wife experienced will mean a great deal to the staff involved, they will appreciate your feedback very much and it will be very encouraging for them.
With thanks and best wishes for your wife's continued recovery

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude nurses

The recptionist that I spoke to was lovely and very helpful. The place was clean and nice. However this was all ruined by the nurse I saw who was rather blunt and I felt like they didn't care. They appeared to be more annoyed that I had been referred instead of actually helping me. I felt like they brushed me off without much explanation or help. My mum came with me as I was rather nervous with it been my first colposcopy and I was nervous. She felt the same, like the nurse wasn't interested and was more irritated than anything. I would happily use this hospital again as long as I'm seen by someone with a better bedside manner.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 August 2017

Dear Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am very sorry you did not have a positive experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us to provide more details if you would like us to look into this further. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at pst@sth.nhs.uk

Michaela gave Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I visited the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, ultrasound and X-ray dept today. What a great team, efficient, helpful staff and very informative. I was very happy with my visit today.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 August 2017

Dear Michaela
Thank you for leaving feedback. Its great to know you were happy with your visit today and the staff will be very pleased and encouraged to receive your kind words.
With thanks and best wishes

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Royal Hallamshire Hospital a rating of 5 stars

'ENT' treatment

My experience with the staff at your hospital has been first rate. The outcome of my case has been very positive, but I have felt confident throughout my stay, from the start to the finish. I would say we all have a fear of the unknown, but everything to do with my case was explained fully and the way forward was outlined.I felt included and cared for and these are the things that really matter. It was very good to be involved in the decision making process. The staff on the ward were very helpful and once again I felt cared for and respected. I will always be grateful and thankful for the hard working staff of the NHS, a thankyou may not be enough, but thanks are all I have to offer.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback. It is really great to know that your experience was positive from start to finish. Your kind and positive words will mean a great deal to the staff involved as they do strive to provide high quality care and treatment. They will be very encouraged to receive your feedback.