Charing Cross Hospital

020 3311 1234 Fulham Palace Road , London, W6 8RF

David Slater gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonscopy

I had an Endoscopic examination yesterday. All the staff I came in contact with, were very professional and efficient. Well done Charring Cross, a credit to the NHS. Thank you once again for the support while I had the examination.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 17 March 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is delighted to hear your feedback from your appointment with the endoscopy department at Charing Cross hospital. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has passed on your comments to the relevant service managers. We wish you well for the future.

Maureen Squires gave Accident and emergency services at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E visit Sunday morning 19th March 10.30 - 2 pm

I accompanied my son to the A & E on Sunday morning and would like to thank everyone from the admissions team, nurses, all the staff and especially the lovely doctor who took time to explain the cause of his problem (which was very reassuring for him) and prescribe treatment for his recovery. This was 1st class care and great to see the NHS at it's very best with the whole team showing professionalism, dedication and evidence of a caring and compassionate approach to all the patients in their care. He had just moved into the area the area the day before and we were very satisfied with the hospital and general care provided.Thank you very much.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 21 March 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is delighted to hear that you received excellent care from all the staff in the Accident and Emergency department at Charing Cross hospital. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has passed on your comments to the relevant service managers. Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust appreciates and values your comments. We wish you well for the future.

Mary Susan reviewed Charing Cross Hospital

I can't speak highly enough of the care and treatment I have received at...

I can't speak highly enough of the care and treatment I have received at Charing Cross Hospital. Diagnosed with breast cancer, at every stage I was given empathetic support, with time to ask questions and discuss options. Because I had a strong desire to avoid a mastectomy - which was probably indicated as I had two lumps - the alternative of a lumpectomy was discussed in detail. I decided to take that route, despite a risk that a second op might be necessary. I was in good hands - and very lucky - all cancer successfully removed.
I spoke with 2 surgeons, both were great. The surgeon who performed the operation has been very concerned to get the best aesthetic result, in addition to saving my life ... and has given me full information and support at every stage. I think the surgeon has done a wonderful job.
Nurses and other staff were also fantastic - I would mention Consultant Radiologist Cunningham, clinical nurse specialists, and the sister in the surgical area. Thank you NHS, thank you, Charing Cross.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 09 February 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is delighted to hear that you received excellent care and staff were very reassuring and kind whilst treating you. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has passed on your comments to the relevant service managers. We wish you were in your recovery after surgery.

Anonymous gave Critical care at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent ward

Can not thank the staff on this ward enough, have been visiting a family memeber for a week now and the staff have been very welcoming and amazing at explaining what they have been doing throughout the day! Clearly work very long hours and are still happy to answer any questions and genuinely seemed like lovely people. Very happy

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 23 February 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is delighted to read your feedback about the Critical Care Unit at Charing Cross Hospital and would like to thank you for taking time to post on NHS Choices. Patient Advice and Liaison Service has passed your feedback to the senior management staff of the service. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 1 stars

The worst Emergency and not only, also gp!!

Terribile experience!! I run there in the evening, vomiting Blood, i arrived there at 23.00, i was visited only at 6.00 am. Very bad organization , but the worst thing, after all my explanation about my pain and my looong waiting, they got my Blood,my urine,after 2hours they told me everything was ok, my kidneys worked very well, their apoligize because they forgot to send my urine to the lab. Ok,after other 3hours more, i hear also this, i was exploding, the doctor promised me saying"i Will call you back for the results.meanwhile get another antibiotic and everything Will pass". Ok let's trust in them,they are doctors no?? I finished the antibiotic after 3 days ,again my pain in my kidney came up,strong cystitis Attack and vomit. I have never receved results of my urine. I came back to my gp (in the same hospital) and i went desperated,saying that i feel something wrong in me,they did not even visit me!!!they were looking to the report sent from Emergency,saying everything is good,i told probably it's better to go to some gynecologist ,they told me,"i can't send you to some gynecologist if before i don' t see the x Ray", the x Ray was fixed for the end of march! How can i wait so long with these problems?? I had to ask to write something for my work, i could't either work properly anymore. Do you Know ?? Without knowing what i had,they also answered me"ok i can give you but come on not more than a week, get rest and it Will be fine! I was shoked. Do you Know the end of this Story?? In this week i went back to my country to have good visit there,and with x Ray, they found Stones in my kidneis, a big viral infection, filling me of antibiotic there ,in my tongue were Born also fungos!! This is not professional at all!!! Sucks how they trat the people!! I am in a hospital now in my country, and if i continued to trust them there, i think my problem became much worst!! I Will never go there anymore!! Ohh and by the way the reception sooo rude!!!! And in professional!!!they are also bored to do their job!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 27 February 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is very concerned about your posting on NHS Choices and would like to apologise for your experience in the A&E department at Charing Cross Hospital. Your feedback has been passed on to the management of the service. We would like to be able to look into this matter for you and therefore we would like to encourage you to contact Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) by telephone on 020 3313 0088 or by email: pals@imperial.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 1 stars

After care post operation was really really bad

I had a nose surgery yesterday and I must say the staff here after the surgery was really not caring.I was feeling unwell , thirsty but there was no one to look after or even give a sip of water .They dont allow your relatives to stay with you at this time when you need some one and they don't look after you well . I got so annoyed with staff that I had to tell them that I am better though I wasn't so that I could go home and my family would look after me much better

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 27 February 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is concerned about your posting on NHS Choices and would like to apologise for your experience after your surgery. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) would like to be able to look into this matter for you. We would like to encourage you to contact PALS by telephone 0203313 0088 or email pals@imperial.nhs.uk In the meantime, we have passed your feedback to the most senior managers of the service.

Charlie gave Urology at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Kidney Stone + stent removal drag causing urine infections

In January 2017 ureteroscopy stone Removal was performed and the surgeon wanted me to go home on the same day. I begged that I not feeling well at all as was bleeding in Urine profusely with chills and unwell feeling. The surgeon then arranged an overnight stay and discharged to be seen after two weeks for removal of stent placed at the removal of kidney stone. The appointment didn't come so I chased with their PALS (Patients Advice and Liaison service), as I could not get through to their Urology department phone number, no one answered despite living all the details of my name, Hospital Number and my Mobile number.

However within two days the Urine was burning with blood and had constant pain and urge to Urinate only a dribble to come out. At midnight 13: 00 Hrs I had to call 999 Ambulance who filtered me with questions of my symptoms and they decide it is an emergency, so sent an Ambulance. Having reached into A + e, the triage (senior in charge), shouted in front of other staff and in front of Ambulance crew Why did I call Ambulance and did not use other mode of transport like others, and said that I was not an emergency. I explained it is an emergency as I couldn't pass urine it is blocked and causing back pressure in the Kidney/abdo area. to which the triage then grudgingly admitted in the hospital, but sent a Nurse who did not know how to flush the catheter. By this time the Nurses knew that there was an aggravation between triage Nurse and my self. Once the doctor came tried flushing and suddenly there was 500ml of urine with blood came out. This young doctor told me I am now discharged, but I pointed out that twice before same thing have blocked urine and could I stay until 9: 00 am to see the senior Urology team as to why this blockage keeps happening. They refused because the triage nurse had over ruled them.

It is since then I continue having Urine infection persisting and removal of stent and catheter each three times I went to Charing Cross Hospital in London, the nurse or doctor never took out the stent as to date (March 17).

It has been very difficult to deal with rude Nurses, who wanted to discharge me all three times. When I pointed out that the Catheter is still there and Antibiotics don't work.

Trying to get follow up appointments on the number given on previous appointment letters there is an Ansa Machine to leave the message to which they never return a call back, whether it is to make an appointment or Cancel the appointment.

This is my experience of poor and bad service of Medical treatment as there is no cohesion between the front line supporting staff including the Urology Nurses with Patients.

Having complained about incidents it is now two and half months as, senior staff were supposed to investigate and send me their investigation report, which they did not, until I chased with PALS after 4 weeks to find they were on holiday.
When the member of staff came back they shouted at me over the phone talking on top.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 15 March 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust are concerned about your posting on NHS Choices and wish to apologise for your experience with A&E and the Urology department at Charing Cross hospital. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has passed on your Patient Advice and Liaison Service comments to the relevant service managers. (PALS) would like to be able to look into this matter on your behalf. We would like to encourage you to contact PALS on either 0203 313 0088 or email pals@imperial.nhs.uk

Nathalie Cadlini gave Accident and emergency services at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Lack of communication and disgusting food standards

This was my first time ever staying in a hospital in 24 years of life. I stayed two weeks, and two completely different ones. One at a NHS ward and another at the Imperial Private Healthcare. I cannot emphasise enough how disgusted I am by the treatment given to patients at NHS ward. Food was microwaved, pre-made and there was not a single healthy meal to eat. Some patients were lucky enough to have visitors bringing in decent food for them, which I also find surprising as hospitals usually do not allow food from the outside for safety reasons. In this hospital all foods, everyone and anything was allowed in. All my relatives and friends commented on the fact no one controlled their entrance. However, I cannot get over the food standards. I cannot emphasise enough how shocked, surprised, disgusted and still nauseous I feel about the food I was given. How can we expect patients to recover well enough from eating microwaved fish and chips? Jelly-like meat Sunday roast? Nothing is fresh, nothing is healthy. Even in Brazil, the third world country I was born, hospitals serve better food and most importantly, fresh. I eat everything, but I could not bear being forced (as I had no other choice when my relatives couldn't bring me food from outside) to shove those meals down my throat. Seeing elderly people having to eat those meals broke my heart. I am a healthy individual and have very little diet requirements, just no caffeine and no milk. I put myself on the position of others with strict diet requirements and debilitated health and instantly felt extremely sad. I was lucky enough to have my brother coming at the end of the first week to activate my private healthcare (as I was unable to do so on my own due to my condition), where I went from hell to heaven. Meals were cooked fresh and were healthy, like a hospital is supposed to be. This should be provided to all patients, all patients deserve to be treated with care and respect and not be given dog food. The food at this hospital (excluding the private healthcare) badly needs improvement. One nurse even refused giving me another blanket as they reckoned i'd be better off without it. Some of them didn't even introduce themselves and would take up to one hour to come to the room after I called. Some days, during my stay at the NHS ward, I felt miserable and abandoned. I am extremely disappointed to see this is how patients are treated. This needs to be changed.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 31 January 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 02 February 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is concerned about your posting on NHS Choices and wishes to apologise to you for your experience in the Accident and Emergency Department at Charing Cross Hospital. We would really like to speak to you and be able to look into this further. In the meantime I have forwarded your posting to the service managers for the Accident & Emergency Department. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can be contacted on either 0203 313 0088 or email pals@imperial.nhs.uk

Chaos, no order in receiving patience, care questionable

We have waited two and half hours to be seen by practitioner. Half of people that came long after us was received and left. From second in the queue at very beginning we end up being constantly third in queue 90 then 120 minutes later. We were only appointed by the doctor after the receptionist tried to convince me that the guy who came an hour after us will be received first, I guess at this point the receptionist even realised the we actually not in the queue. There was another patient with broken rib that was running around the waiting room that got an Xray, my bf was told that he won't get one even though he could barely move so this leave with huge disappoint.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 23 January 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 24 January 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is concerned about your posting on NHS Choices and wishes to apologise for your experience with the Accident and Emergency Service in Charing Cross Hospital. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) would like to be able to look into this matter on your behalf. We would like to encourage you to contact PALS on either 0203 313 0088 or by email pals@imperial.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Charing Cross Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Chaos in Neurosurgery

I had an appointment with Neurosurgeon in mid-December - the result being I should have an injection in my spine to fix a prolapsed disc. I was told by the surgeon that this would be in January. I received an appointment letter for the clinic in March the following week - when I called I was told this was an appointment with the clinic to follow up on the procedure. I received no other communication. By the second week in January I was concerned that I had heard nothing - I had no follow-up letter from the original appointment or any other information. I attempted to call the hospital but got passed around I eventually got the secretary of the neurosurgeon's telephone and was told this was the right number to call. This was permanently engaged for the first two days of calling, then it rang and rang the following week. I left a message on another of the neurosurgeon's administrators voicemails - I didn't receive any response. Eventually, I spoke to someone who was covering the telephone number who said the secretary was off sick and said there is a letter on file from the December appointment - which I hadn't received. They said they would send that first class on that Tuesday (I eventually got the letter on Saturday) - this letter just confirmed the diagnosis and treatment plan - it did not have an appointment. Receiving the letter a whole month after the appointment was pretty poor. I had sent an email to the secretary - without a response. I have now received a response to my email (2 weeks later) - only after calling and emailing multiple times - this week the phone was on voicemail all the time. They said they had been off sick for two weeks. I then got another email saying my injection would be in March and not January as I was told - I can't help thinking that this delay is down to a broken system. Surely if an administrator is off sick someone covers and books appointments - things don't just hang in the air for weeks on end. This department needs to make sure patients receive proper followup from appointments - I have a treatment plan but no advice on what to do whilst I wait for my injection which might have been acceptable if I was waiting a few weeks for the injection - but at almost three months it feels like I ought to have received some better aftercare advice. I don't blame the people particularly, but the system should be more resilient and be able to cope.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 27 January 2017

Charing Cross Hospital replied on 30 January 2017

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is extremely concerned about your comments you have posted on NHS Choices. We would like to apologise for the experience you have had in our Neurosurgery Department at Charing Cross hospital. Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) would like to discuss this matter further and have the opportunity to look into your concerns. We would encourage you to contact PALS by telephone on 0203 313 0088 or email on pals@imperial.nhs.uk or