West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/wbch/

Mike F gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Minor toe op went very well

Superb. RBH is great too, but this is all a bit more laid back and personal. Thanks to all those involved in my minor tweak - good movement back after breaking it many moons ago.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 03 July 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

Thank you for your positive comments. We are delighted that you had such a good experience in our care. We will certainly pass on your comments to our teams and wish you well in your continued recovery.

Diane James gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery Unit

On 22 May I underwent knee surgery on a torn cartilage in the Day Surgery Unit. I would like to comment on the exceptional service that I received. The whole process went like clockwork. I was treated with care, in a relaxed and calm atmosphere, by pleasant and helpful nurses and doctors. All processes were explained clearly, I felt at ease at all times. All communications from the hospital followed promptly after each appointment. We are very lucky to have this kind of facility in our area.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 26 May 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 27 May 2014

Thank you so much for your complimentary comments. We have passed these onto the departmental team whom we know will be delighted to have such positive feedback. The Day unit team do work exceptionally hard to provide a good yet efficient service for our patients so it is always nice to hear when we are 'getting it right'.
Thank you again for your comments and we wish you well in your ongoing recovery.

Kerry gave Minor injuries unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Minor injuries

I was very impressed with the unit, I would usually have gone into the RBH but the doctor on duty in our local surgery recommened the minor injuries unit. Such lovely friendly staff. My son had a fracture of his wrist from arriving to leaving with a cast took an hour - SUPERB I do not think I could have done that anywhere else. I happen to work for the NHS on another site even with connections I doubt that I would have been seen & treated so quickly.

Thank you very much a wonderful service!

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 13 March 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Jim Bell gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Compliments from a satisfied patient.

I had to undergo surgery on my right foot, on the 5th March this year and I wish to record my complete satisfaction with the performance of the doctor and his team and the admin staff together with the politeness, patience and attention they paid to me before during and after the operation.
I also noted the attention paid to the cleanliness of the hospital in general, the ward and the uniforms/dress of the staff.
Until then I was convinced that the above conditions were something of the past. Now I can face future treatment, if necessary, with confidence.

Congratulations,

Jim Bell

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 12 March 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

John Walton gave Diabetic Medicine at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Various Visits

Always found the hospital very efficient and helpful .

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 28 January 2014

H Gauntlett reviewed West Berkshire Community Hospital

Hearing Aid Services

Waited 1hour45 minutes at the hearing aid clinic at West Berks. yesterday 4 December only to be told no medium filters available for my hearing aid staff member did scrabble around several places and drawers and found one, ( needed 2).. Had then to drive 50 minutes to royal Berks -1hour 30 minutes wait - filter fitted. Asked for a comments form - non yet available - asked if I could have small implement to fit my own filter, did not think so. Asked suggestion could be put forward - home replacement made possible for able people, after some delay, member of staff offered to go to main building to get a suggestion form. One day out of my life, which used to take only a couple of hours.

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 05 December 2013

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 13 December 2013

We are sorry to hear of any inconvenience resulting from your visit to the hearing aid clinic. Looking at our records, we appear to have had an unusual number of patients attending for dome replacements on the 3rd and 4th December at the West Berkshire Community Hospital. This unprecedented demand left us low on this particular-sized item. In response, our stock levels have been reviewed to ensure that no patients have a similarly disappointing visit.
It was also disappointing to hear that no feedback forms were available for you on this day. We actively encourage feedback as a means of continually improving the service and this is important to us. Therefore, we have ensured that forms are always available at all sites. The team have been reminded of the means by which service users may feedback. Thank you for highlighting this point.
As regards the process of dome replacement, we do not encourage patients to replace domes themselves, the reason being that if not fitted firmly, there is a risk of the part falling off in the ear. Thus we always recommend that a trained individual does this for you.
We appreciate that the convenience of a drop-in clinic brings with it the downside of an unpredictable waiting time. Feedback from patients has consistently shown that they like the option of being able to come on the same day if a problem arises. However, do note that we have a booked aftercare service if this may be more convenient to you – just contact our main number on 0118 322 7238 to make an appointment.

liz gave Gynaecology at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

laparoscopy cancelled due to faulty equipment

I saw a member of the gynaecology department in May who recommended the laparoscopy to find the cause of my pain, I was assured this would be carried out at newbury rather than having to travel to RBh.. However on receiving my appointment I was given was for RBH. Phoned RBH to make my case for Newbury. Received new appointment for newbury, but I need someone with me at home for 24 hours. This wouldn't be the case so changed the appointment from july to august. Now been phoned to tell me ive got to go RBH has the equipment at newbury is now faulty and needs replacing, due to the cost they don't know when this will be so I will have to go to RBH. Waiting for new appointment, received pre-op appointment for Newbury, only to be told on arrival that RBH keep sending out letters wrongly. Shouldn't have received latest appointment ( wasted afternoon). Newbury now chasing RBH has they could see from my notes I need to get this sorted soon.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 01 August 2013

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

difranks gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

shame the paperwork let hospital down

Got appointment in post to see the diabetes consultant at the diabetis clinic at Thatcham community hospital. ummm .... did they know something I did not following my blood test at doctors. Feeling very worried I phoned them. They said would investigate and call me back. could feel blood pressure rising by this time as was quite worried I had diabetes, which with only one kidney, worried me somewhat. They got back to me and said no problem. The appointment was for the endocrinologist but they hadnt any automatic letters for that department so sent me ones for the diabetic clinic instead.
HUH!!!!
maybe a note pinned to the letter telling me not to freak out that I didnt have diabetes and the appointment wasnt for the diabets clinic as stated but ......

Reception told me to go to outpatients, which I did.

Apart from that I was seen promptly by the endo etc. He gave me form for a blood test. I was spoken to rather curtly by the nurse on duty at the "blood counter" telling me no more tests today and all those people were ahead of me pointing to the rows of patiently sat patients.. I politely told her I had never been to this hopsital before, didn't know the routine which I why I was asking her and the endo just told me to present this form - today! She did ;profusely apologise and could see she was stressed out with so many people to take blood from. Must have been very hectic to turn people away. So arranged to have my GP take the bloods following week. I didn't know I had to "take a number" and sit and wait. Where I got the number from, haven't a clue but ... maybe next time if I have to attend again, i will ask at reception first and get clued up on what the procedure is. I so dislike the first day at a hospital as everyone expects you to know what to do and where to go.

In the box below where I have to say which department I visting I have selected the Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine department. Although I did see an endo I was actually sent to the Outpatients department, but no choice to select that.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 17 May 2013

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 May 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience of visiting our outpatient services at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are very sorry that it was so disappointing. The administration team for Endocrinology are working with our IT administrators to change the appointment letters that are sent out in order to prevent the confusion that you experienced and we will ensure that your comments are fed back to the team in the outpatient department, so that they understand how challenging an appointment can be if the right instructions or guidance is not given to our patients.
Pathology had an extremely busy day on the day you visited and were indeed struggling to manage the demand on their services. You should however have been given an apology for the delay and advised of alternative solutions in a much nicer manner. We are very sorry that this did not happen. We hope that your next visit will prove to be a better experience for you.

Richard Johnson gave Cancer Services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Highclere Ward

My wife was in one of the rainbow rooms on Highclere Ward for the final few weeks of here life. The quality of care was truly remarkable from all of the staff. The nurses and healthcare assistants were amazingly dedicated, professional and hard working a perfect example of what hospital care should be. Her health was progressively deteriorating to the point where she needed a high level of support which was given with consistent sensitivity and outstanding devotion.
When I received the phone call in the early hours of one morning informing me that she had passed away the call was sensitive and from a nurse we knew well

Please pass on my thanks to the Chief Executive of the Health Service for Berkshire and to the Staff of the hospital for the excellent facilities and incredible care

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 22 April 2013

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Edward Duncan Wheele gave Minor Injuries Unit - West Berkshire Community Hospital at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Damage to eye. Monday 2.30 pm 25th March 2013

Having damged my own eye whilst working outside on my own. I was reassured to find out from my Doctors Surgery that I could travel to West Berkshire Community Hospital at Rooks Way, to have the damage assessed. I realised when travelling back to Compton an hour later how lucky we are to have this facility in our area. I was attended to within 10 minutes of arriving at the hospital, the staff were all very helpful polite and courteous, the nurse showed me into a specialist eye treatment area with all the equipment necessary to carry out tests on my eye. The nurse was very kind, gentle and efficient, with the medication I was given. Because of all your help I was able next day to continue my work, wearing eye protectors of course, with a totally comfortable eye. Thank you all for your help, especially my nurse.
Please pass on my thanks to all staff who helped me.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 27 March 2013