West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/wbch/

Anonymous gave Minor injuries unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Minor injuries clinic - reception / waiting room

I arrived at the minor injuries unit with my 18 month old son who had fallen and bumped his nose and it was very swollen and bruised. Previous to this I had both called 111 for advice and also my doctors surgery, who referred me to minor injuries clinic. I was registered by reception staff and then waited for over 2 hours. I asked reception staff how much longer I might have to wait after 1 hours 50 mins as my parking was about to run out. The reception staff checked the waiting list and let me go out and pay for more parking. 5 minutes after paying for parking we were called into see the nurse, we were in with the nurse for no longer than 2 minutes. The nurse was lovely and friendly, but they advised that there is nothing that can be done with a bumped nose for children under 24 months. There was a vague look at the nose but no real examination. I am very dissatisfied, not because nothing could be done, because my instinct was that this was the case. My dissatisfaction is due to speaking with 3 seperate members of NHS staff about the injury, but I was still told to seek medical attention when it was very clear that no medical attention was required.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 08 June 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

sheilagi gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I went into the day surgery unit for a Dorsal Cheilectomy

My consultant and team are absolutely wonderful. Everybody involved in my care came and explained every bit of the procedure in detail to me. From the doctor to the lovely Anaesthesist, and the after care people. Everyone was so king and caring . I have had very little pain post op, but as I am not the kind of person who likes to sit around for long, find it difficult ,so I'm just pottering about. My excuse when people tell me to sit down is that it's good for my circulation to move around. Anyway, a big thank you to all the wonderful staff at the day surgery unit.

Sheila Gilroy

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015

Anonymous gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

As a visitor to Newbury, I visited the walk in centre today as I urgently needed a prescription. The reception staff were most courteous and helpful, I was seen by a ADR within about half an hour, diagnosed and prescribed. Excellent service, I cannot fault it and I feel better already! Thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 13 September 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Frank Stroud gave Hearing and Balance Clinics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor service

I attended the Audiology clinic on 26 August 2014 . I arrived at 10 took a number card which was 23 and sat down only to find the old man next to me was number 6 ! According to others waiting the clinic did not open at its scheduled time and there seemed to be only one person on duty.
Most of the people waiting were elderly some disabled in wheelchairs and some with carers. No one came out to explain the situation.
It became clear to me by 11.30 when no one had been called in for nearly an hour that I would not be seen by 12.00 when the clinic closes for 2 hours .
All the same I waited until just before the clinic closed and with about 10 minutes to go I and several others left .
This was my second visit to the West Berkshire Community Hospital Audiology clinic . The first was by appointment and I was satisfied with my treatment . A few days ago I had a phone call asking me how I was getting on with my hearing aids. I was very impressed by that and when I told the young lady I had problems she recommended I just drop in to the centre any Tuesday or Wednesday. It sounded so straight forward and I drove 15 miles to attend .
The reality was something quite different . Many of the elderly patients attending seemed resigned to sitting there hour after hour not knowing what time they would get away .Some even said that by previous experience this treatment was par for the course and that the only way to be sure of getting seen is to get there early which many of them did however I can't see how that would work .
I wlll not be repeating the experience. I will not be recommending the department to anyone else and depending on the explanation I receive I will be taking my complaint further.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

Anonymous reviewed at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Work injury

I visited this unit on the 11 of August 2014 having hurt myself at work.I was in quite a lot of pain and was kept waiting for about one hour.When I finally got to see a nurse I was only in there for 5 minutes. I told the nurse that I was on high blood pressure tablets but she didn't even check my blood pressure. I told the nurse that I had also hurt my back as well as my arm and she didn't even check my back.All and all I don't think I was treated appropriately and think I should of been checked over more thoroughly. I really don't recommend this minor injuries unit at all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

RoyB gave Pain Management at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I am currently in the hospital. The staff are fantastic.

I cannot in anyway say anything other than I have never been looked after so well. The staff are great and the hospital excellent. 10 out 10 well done.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 August 2014

Anonymous gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Treatment

I fell over while out hill walking and suspected that I may have broken my little finger! I attended the hospital on Tuesday 26th August at 8.00am and could not have asked for or received better treatment. The receptionist was polite and helpful. The nurse was very efficient as was the radiographer. I was in and out of the hospital (with finger in splint and advice on next steps etc) in 45 minutes.

The hospital was clean and welcoming.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Miss Holley gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tooth extraction

I visited this hospital to see the Dental Dept after my dentist said she couldn't remove a large molar for me, but sent me here.

I have to say that the service from the dental surgeon and his lovely nurse was the best I have received in a dental surgery, they were wonderful especially as I was so nervous and can't open my jaw very wide due to dislocating it when was younger. We fixed a date for 17th July and it all went ahead. The dentist removed the offending tooth in one piece, where the dentist had said it would be in at least three pieces. I was very impressed with the whole service!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your treatment. We are pleased that you have found our department's service to be of a high standard and that your experience was so positive. The matron for the area will ensure that all staff in the department are made aware of your kind comments.

Pax gave Ophthalmology at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I was terrified

I have wet age related macular degeneration of my left eye.
The treatment involved injecting into my eye.
The consultant talked me through the process, answered my questions [I was worried whether the eye was still anaesthetised] she proved it by demonstration] and was wonderully patient , understanding.and friendly..
The other stall members were friendly and helful, with me and with each other.
To crown it all, I was waiting for transport and it was getting late but a member of staff in mnor injuries asked me if I would like a cup of tea or coffee, and made it for me in the staff room.
I cant praise the people who work in this hospital enough .

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 26 July 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 July 2014

Thank you for your positive comments about the eye service at WBCH. We will ensure we pass your kind feedback on to all staff that have been involved with your care. We are very pleased to hear that they were friendly and helpful.

Mike F gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Minor toe op went very well

Superb. RBH is great too, but this is all a bit more laid back and personal. Thanks to all those involved in my minor tweak - good movement back after breaking it many moons ago.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 03 July 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

Thank you for your positive comments. We are delighted that you had such a good experience in our care. We will certainly pass on your comments to our teams and wish you well in your continued recovery.