West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/wbch/

Julie gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

podiatric surgery

I would like to thank three members of staff for the outstanding care they gave me from start to finish. They were welcoming and made me feel at ease. I have yet to have my follow up appointment but I am sure it will follow on from the efficient and professional care I have already received, thank you once again. Also a huge thank you to all the staff on the day surgery ward for looking after me.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 03 September 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Bridget Levingston gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

WBCH Podiatric Surgery

An extremely efficient and professional team took care of me from my first meeting right through surgery and post op care. The procedure and my post operative recovery were outstanding. I was treated with the utmost respect and care. No-one likes to be in hospital, but this experience was one of the most positive medical experiences I have every had.

Thank you to everyone at the hospital, from receptionists, nurses, consultants and registrar's, theatre team - absolutely all of you are part of an excellent, efficient, friendly team and are a credit to the NHS system.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 August 2015

Thank you so much for this excellent review of the services offered to you at our Day Surgery Unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are delighted that you have received the level of care we strive to deliver to the patients in our care. This is a testament to the excellent team work at WBCH across all disciplines. We wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Jim Kelly gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Inguinal hernia surgery \at West Berkshire Community Hospita

I was referred to W.B.C.H. for an inguinal hernia operation to be done on July the 7th. i found all staff absolutely brilliant, attentive and informative. They explained every step of the procedure and answered all of my queries as well as giving me advice.
The surgeon and anaesthetist came to see me before the operation and again explained the procedure. They again came to see me after the procedure with feedback and advice. They both did a brilliant job which was not straightforward.
I would like to give all staff 10 out of 10. They made me feel as if I was their only patient and apart from being thoroughly professional gave their own personal touch to make me feel comfortable. We should be proud of NHS staff like these.
Again many thanks from "The Kerryman" Jim Kelly

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 23 July 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 27 July 2015

Many thanks for your kind appreciation of the care you received at WBCH Day Surgery Unit. We believe that each patient is unique and as such deserves care appropriate to their individual meeds. We strive to deliver patient care to be proud of and we can see from your feedback we achieved our goal in delivering excellent care, as you have awarded 10 out of 10 to the team! We wish you a speedy recovery and and we are grateful for your kind comments.

annette goulden gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

day surgery unit

I attended the day surgery unit for a minor operation under local anaesthetic on my foot. The staff were welcoming, efficient and made me feel very cared for. The podiatrists explained the procedure, answering my questions with care and explaining who would be present and their respective roles. All went to plan gently and professionally, with minimum of fuss.
After the operation I was offered a choice of refreshments, opting for a mug of tea with toast and Marmite! The care from the surgeons and the nursing staff could not have been more solicitous and friendly, and it was clear that they worked as a mutually supportive and well functioning team.
Thank you, every one of you !

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 14 August 2015

Thank very much for offering this exceptional feedback. We are delighted that you received the excellent care we strive to deliver at West Berkshire Community Hospital and your satisfation with the whole process is a testament to the team work that ensures we offer and deliver excellent care to our patients. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Alice E Jones
Matron Theatres and Anaesthetics

sheilagi gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I went into the day surgery unit for a Dorsal Cheilectomy

My consultant and team are absolutely wonderful. Everybody involved in my care came and explained every bit of the procedure in detail to me. From the doctor to the lovely Anaesthesist, and the after care people. Everyone was so king and caring . I have had very little pain post op, but as I am not the kind of person who likes to sit around for long, find it difficult ,so I'm just pottering about. My excuse when people tell me to sit down is that it's good for my circulation to move around. Anyway, a big thank you to all the wonderful staff at the day surgery unit.

Sheila Gilroy

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 14 August 2015

Thank you for this valuable feedback of our staff and the standard of care of care you received at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are very proud of our teams and we are delighted that you have taken the time to give this review on our services. I will ensure that our staff know that their care and our services were appreciated by you. We hope you have had a speedy recovery from your surgery.
Alice E Jones
Matron Theatres and Anaesthetics

Richard Hudson gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Inadequate diagnosis and treatment at minor injuires unit

I attended the minor injuries unit on the first Sunday in May following a knee injury from a fall while coaching sport. The nurse made a hasty diagnosis of a ligament strain without a detailed examination, questioning, or any scans. I was told to rest it and it would be ok in two weeks. It was not, so I went to my GP who set up a referral to hospital. The scans which followed revealed significant damage to the knee, and it had not helped that by this time five weeks had passed since the injury, during which time I had been hobbling around in pain with considerable swelling. I had a torn ligament, torn cartilage and bone damage in addition to the sprained ligament which had been diagnosed.
Three months on and after proper treatment, the knee is finally much improved but no thanks to the minor injuries nurse who wasted the first month of recovery time by giving an incomplete examination, diagnosis and advice.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Hearing and Balance Clinics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Audiology OPA

On confirming an OPA time with audiology I was informed that the appointment had been cancelled without any notification and without notes on the system giving an explanation.

Evidently I had been made an OPA with the Tinnitus clinic in July; however I had not been sent this OPA. The appointment I had for today was only the result of me calling ENT OPA and making it following the ENT Consultant OPA back in May and it appeared then that I wasn’t going made an OPA as I wasn’t even on the system.

I have been deaf since February this year and overall my care via Primary & Secondary care has been appalling and has left me chasing everything in order to get some care to help address this sudden hearing loss.

On speaking with the Audiology Therapist they have managed to sort out another OPA in RBH they were extremely helpful and very apologetic about the cancellation and urged me to make a complaint about the cancellation and that I was not notified.

On trying to make a complaint the receptionist who answered the phone had no idea and tried to transfer me to somebody x 2 to deal with the complaint. I was then transferred to casualty x 2 then to switchboard and then eventually to PALS where I lodged an informal complaint with a very helpful member of staff where I am hoping to get some resolution from this.

I have never come across such a disorganised Service.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 03 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 12 August 2015

Our sincere apologies for any confusion and inconvenience caused. It is unusual that a clinic needs to be cancelled and we certainly endeavour to contact patients when a situation arises where cancellation is unavoidable. On occasions where patients are not contacted and it is drawn to our attention we look at the circumstances to try and avoid it happening in the future. Being informed is a key part of the patient pathway so apologies that we have not done that in your case.
We very much hope we are now helping you to manage your sudden hearing loss which we appreciate can be a very difficult condition to experience. Once again, our sincere apologies.

Alan Bryant
Head of Adult Audiology Services

Anonymous gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

As a visitor to Newbury, I visited the walk in centre today as I urgently needed a prescription. The reception staff were most courteous and helpful, I was seen by a ADR within about half an hour, diagnosed and prescribed. Excellent service, I cannot fault it and I feel better already! Thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 13 September 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Frank Stroud gave Hearing and Balance Clinics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor service

I attended the Audiology clinic on 26 August 2014 . I arrived at 10 took a number card which was 23 and sat down only to find the old man next to me was number 6 ! According to others waiting the clinic did not open at its scheduled time and there seemed to be only one person on duty.
Most of the people waiting were elderly some disabled in wheelchairs and some with carers. No one came out to explain the situation.
It became clear to me by 11.30 when no one had been called in for nearly an hour that I would not be seen by 12.00 when the clinic closes for 2 hours .
All the same I waited until just before the clinic closed and with about 10 minutes to go I and several others left .
This was my second visit to the West Berkshire Community Hospital Audiology clinic . The first was by appointment and I was satisfied with my treatment . A few days ago I had a phone call asking me how I was getting on with my hearing aids. I was very impressed by that and when I told the young lady I had problems she recommended I just drop in to the centre any Tuesday or Wednesday. It sounded so straight forward and I drove 15 miles to attend .
The reality was something quite different . Many of the elderly patients attending seemed resigned to sitting there hour after hour not knowing what time they would get away .Some even said that by previous experience this treatment was par for the course and that the only way to be sure of getting seen is to get there early which many of them did however I can't see how that would work .
I wlll not be repeating the experience. I will not be recommending the department to anyone else and depending on the explanation I receive I will be taking my complaint further.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 12 August 2015

Dear Mr Stroud,

Apologies for any inconvenience caused during your trip to the repair service. We are aware that the drop-in nature of the service can lead to waits for our patients and we are looking at ways to reduce this. It is unusual that someone was not called for that stretch of time as usually there is only a 5-20 minute gap between patients. Apologies that your wait was increased on this occasion. Please be reassured that we will always endeavour to see all those patients who have a number even if it goes past the closing hour.

In order to keep the repair service as accessible as possible we have kept it to being on a drop-in basis. By doing this we hope to avoid people missing out which has happened when services have tried booked slots in the past. It helps maximise the number of people who can access help when they need it. However, this does mean that unfortunately the service can be very busy at times and we apologise for this and thank patients for their patience. We will soon have access to an additional volunteer-led hearing aid servicing option at WBCH that patients can book into for straightforward hearing aid maintenance and re-tubes. Hopefully, this will ease the waiting time.
Apologies again for your wait. We have sent you a follow up appointment in the post and we hope to address any issues at this booked session

Anonymous reviewed at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Work injury

I visited this unit on the 11 of August 2014 having hurt myself at work.I was in quite a lot of pain and was kept waiting for about one hour.When I finally got to see a nurse I was only in there for 5 minutes. I told the nurse that I was on high blood pressure tablets but she didn't even check my blood pressure. I told the nurse that I had also hurt my back as well as my arm and she didn't even check my back.All and all I don't think I was treated appropriately and think I should of been checked over more thoroughly. I really don't recommend this minor injuries unit at all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014