Harefield Hospital

01895 823 737 Hill End Road , Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Harefield Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Saving lives in standard

I have been a patent, pretty much since I came out of my Mothers uterus. I was born with complex congenital heart disease, and not only was I saved as a neonate, I was offered and successful undergone cardiac catheterisation which is not widely available. Without the less invasive procedure, there was a considerable chance I could die undergoing open heart surgery, due to other complications. Probably the best hospital I have ever been to, both Brompton and Harefield.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 17 April 2015

Thanks for taking the time to post on NHS Choices. Our teams across Royal Brompton and Harefield will be delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the specialist care for congenital heart disease you have received since birth. As a specialist heart and lung trust, we routinely offer patients innovative treatments which are not accessible around the country so it is wonderful to hear that such a procedure meant you could avoid an operation which may have put you at risk. Thanks again and take care.

Maureen Cole gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unbelievable problems

My son went I to Harefield for a valve replacement. I have to say how seriously dissatisfied we all were with the surgeon's so called bedside manner. Which was abrupt and unsympathetic. My son suffered a stroke during his operation, leaving him with a sight impairment, why did this happen? The surgeon decided to ignore this impairment, my son now has a serious infection on his wound, which the surgeon opened up and cleansed, however the infection is back, and the surgeon is suggesting a return to once again cleanse the wound, which is extremely painful. Not a satisfactory state of affairs. Either the surgeon anaesthetist or the hospital itself is at fault, for putting a young man through such trauma. I do not wish my son to be under this surgeon's care any longer, and would hope the hospital has the grace to seek a second opinion for him. His treatment has been nothing more than third world, even worse.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 24 May 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

Dear Maureen, we are sorry to hear that you feel our standard of care has been unsatisfactory. We understand the issues raised have already been brought to the Trust’s attention.

carsearl reviewed Harefield Hospital

Gossiping during my exercise test

I went for an exercise test in February 2015. The test was going well until a staff member came in and started gossiping with the person that was doing my test about another staff member. I got the idea there might be some bullying among the workforce.
The test went well but I felt the attitude was that they were quite big headed and rude. Just my opinion.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Harefield Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

We were disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your recent visit. We try hard to ensure a professional approach at all times but clearly you feel that this was not your experience.

When patients have any concerns at all about our services we encourage them to contact our confidential patient advice and liaison service (PALS) on 01895 826 572 (or pals@rbht.nhs.uk). Acting on feedback from patients through the PALS team enables us to continuously improve our services.

Harold Tobin reviewed Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

Long time patient

I have been attending Harefield since 1981,hav had two open heart surgeries or CABAG's as the staff call them. I have had five sents an ICD inserted? What can I. say 34 years later I'm still here. Thank you to the Surgeons,Cardiac Doctors and Nurses for the many extra years.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 02 March 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 12 March 2015

Dear Harold,
Our surgeons, cardiologists and nurses will be delighted to hear your kind words about the care you have received for over thirty years at Harefield. Our staff pride themselves on the high quality care and treatment they provide to patients. As your experience shows, the interventions they carry out can make a huge difference to people’s lives. Thank you for posting your comments on NHS Choices. Wishing you the very best for the future.

best hospital around

i had a double bypass at harefield last year (2014) and although it should have been a worrying experience all of the staff from the surgeons to the people bringing the food round made everything easy and relaxed for me....my mother is now in for a pacemaker and at 84 I should worry about her but I don't feel any worry whatsoever as she is in harefield....keep up the good work all you harefield staff......and thank you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 June 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 29 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. We know that being in hospital for a heart operation can be a stressful time for both patients and their relatives. It is great therefore to hear that all of the staff you encountered helped to ensure you were comfortable and worry-free. The whole team at Harefield takes great pride in providing high-quality patient care and will be delighted to read your comments. Wishing you and your mother the very best.

Noorjahan Gajia gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I suffer with Dilated Cardiomyopathy

I have been Suffering since 1987 and have seen Consultant Cardiologist since I have been treated on number of times. I was again admitted in 2010 with Heart Problems and always Received the Best Treatments Taken Care from Consultants, Doctors, Nurses Teams Staff
I still been Treated at Harefield Hospital 28 Years ago.
Myself & my Family would Like to Thank Consultant Cardiologist and all the Doctors Nurses Staff Deep from My Heart

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 20 May 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 27 May 2015

Dear Noorjahan,
Thank you very much for your kind comments – our cardiology teams will be very pleased to read them. As a specialist heart and lung Trust, we aim to offer the best possible specialist treatments for heart conditions such as yours and to provide high-quality care, both short and long term. Thank you again and best wishes for the future.

Helen Hedley gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very caring but supremely professional

Having had to be admitted with constant palpitations to Acorn award , I was very impressed with a of the nursing staff , everyone was very caring but extremely professional . It was very clean and the meals offered lots of choice . It offered wireless internet too . Really good

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Dear Helen,

Great to hear of your recent experience on Acorn ward at Harefield. They are a wonderful team and we’ll make sure they hear about your excellent comments. Thank you for taking the time to post on NHS Choices. We hope you are now doing well and wish you all the best.

Amazing people

I have been an in-patient here 3 times in the previous 18 months and they are absolutely amazing.

I have had a triple heart bypass and 3 visits to the cath lab and each time the staff have been incredible.

Everyone from the consultants, main reception, clinic reception, nurses, dr's, HCA's, intesive care staff, and the cleaning staff are polite, friendly and truly seem to care for you.

In my opinion this has to be the best hospital experience i have ever had!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 02 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences as an inpatient at Harefield Hospital. It is great to hear you received consistently high-quality care from the whole team during your recent admissions. Our staff pride themselves on providing the best possible care and understand that treating patients with dignity and respect is an important part of this. They will be delighted to read your comments. Very best wishes.

Cardiac arrest emergency

My father had a cardiac arrest whilst at home and under the guidance of the paramedic we were taken to harefield. Although over an hour away from home there was no local hospital that could do the procedure needed but it was worth every minute of that journey! It's a fantastic hospital , they put in 2 stents and then he was moved to oak ward. A ward full of staff that were happy in their work and that was passed on to the patients. My father returned 5 weeks later to have 2 more stents put in and spent his time on cherry tree ward and again a full of happy staff . All in all a fantastic hospital full of expertise and very very clean and happy staff at a time that was very upsetting and emotional for us as a family. My father would also like to thank everyone for doing an amazing job and saving his life and giving him this opportunity to say so.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 15 March 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 18 March 2014

Thank you for sharing these comments. We’re very pleased to hear that your father had such a good experience at Harefield, despite the circumstances. We will pass on his thanks and your comments to the people involved – they really appreciate great feedback like this. Best wishes to you and your father.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

absolutely brilliant!

From the start to the finish we received excellent care. It was such a shock for our family for my husband to suddenly need heart surgery, he had always been so healthy! The doctors spent enough time with him to make sure we, as a family, understood all the risks. All our questions were answered well. Being in recovery was a wonderful experience, he was looked after by a nurse who not only had the responsibility of looking after him for two days but was also running the whole unit, and what a busy unit it was! Patients appeared to be coming in and out every few minutes. She treated my husband with the utmost care and dignity as well as all the other patients and relatives. She seemed to find time for everyone.

He was only in HDU for a night and then back to Maple ward. The ward staff were lovely and nothing seemed too much bother He was home in 6 days and back to his normal self in a month.

We cannot praise Harefield enough, without the wonderful staff my husband would not be with us now. Keep up the good work!

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 26 April 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 29 April 2014

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback! Our staff truly appreciate hearing how the care they provide has a positive impact on a patient’s recovery and we’ll make sure your praise reaches the nurse on HDU. There is no doubt that Harefield is a busy place, but staff understand the shock and anxiety that patients and relatives can experience in hospital and therefore the importance of taking the time to fully explain treatment options.

Great to hear that your husband is doing well after his surgery. Wishing you both all the very best.