Check here for alerts

Harefield Hospital

01895 823 737 Hill End Road , Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH

Loraine Garnish gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care in Cedar 2 ward

I attended to have a Pleural Effusion drained and was naturally very worried about the procedure. However, the surgeon spoke with me at length on my admission to Harefield and put my mind at rest as far as the procedure was concerned.
All the nursing staff were extremely caring and professional and made the stay much less traumatic for me. Thank you to all the staff who took such good care of me.
I have no hesitation to recommend Harefield to anyone requiring treatments.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 28 June 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Dear Loraine. We believe that patients should be well informed and involved in decisions about their care, so it is very pleasing to hear that your medical team was able to put your mind at rest and make your stay in hospital as comfortable as possible. Thank you for recommending us to others requiring specialist treatment for heart and lung conditions.

Mick Jenkins gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I was admitted to Oak ward to have an ICD fitted on March 31st and stayed until 3rd April.
The care I received was excellent from both the day and night nursing staff.
Their energy and commitment to the patients is second to none.
Thank you all who worked in bay 3 over this period.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

Dear Mick,
Thank you for taking the time to post such great feedback about your stay in Oak ward. Our dedicated and skilled team there will be delighted to read your comments. At Harefield we understand that having any procedure in hospital can be daunting so we try to provide the best possible specialist care, attention and support to patients throughout their stay with us. Thanks again and wishing you the best for the future.

Barbara shoulders gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

taken care of.

i was admitted to oak ward on 5th March and to say I was nervous about my procedure was an understatement. The staff on the ward were wonderful and could not have done more to put me at my ease especially one member of staff who had a wonderful calming gentle way with them. The nurses seemed to work well together and were very attentive.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 20 March 2015

Dear Barbara,
Thank you for posting about your recent experience as a patient at Harefield. Our staff understand the anxieties around having a heart procedure, and our specialist nurses work hard to ensure patients are as well prepared and relaxed as possible. The team on Oak Ward will be delighted to hear your kind words about the care they provided to you. Thanks again and very best wishes.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Harefield Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Saving lives in standard

I have been a patent, pretty much since I came out of my Mothers uterus. I was born with complex congenital heart disease, and not only was I saved as a neonate, I was offered and successful undergone cardiac catheterisation which is not widely available. Without the less invasive procedure, there was a considerable chance I could die undergoing open heart surgery, due to other complications. Probably the best hospital I have ever been to, both Brompton and Harefield.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 17 April 2015

Thanks for taking the time to post on NHS Choices. Our teams across Royal Brompton and Harefield will be delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the specialist care for congenital heart disease you have received since birth. As a specialist heart and lung trust, we routinely offer patients innovative treatments which are not accessible around the country so it is wonderful to hear that such a procedure meant you could avoid an operation which may have put you at risk. Thanks again and take care.

Maureen Cole gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unbelievable problems

My son went I to Harefield for a valve replacement. I have to say how seriously dissatisfied we all were with the surgeon's so called bedside manner. Which was abrupt and unsympathetic. My son suffered a stroke during his operation, leaving him with a sight impairment, why did this happen? The surgeon decided to ignore this impairment, my son now has a serious infection on his wound, which the surgeon opened up and cleansed, however the infection is back, and the surgeon is suggesting a return to once again cleanse the wound, which is extremely painful. Not a satisfactory state of affairs. Either the surgeon anaesthetist or the hospital itself is at fault, for putting a young man through such trauma. I do not wish my son to be under this surgeon's care any longer, and would hope the hospital has the grace to seek a second opinion for him. His treatment has been nothing more than third world, even worse.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 24 May 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

Dear Maureen, we are sorry to hear that you feel our standard of care has been unsatisfactory. We understand the issues raised have already been brought to the Trust’s attention.

carsearl reviewed Harefield Hospital

Gossiping during my exercise test

I went for an exercise test in February 2015. The test was going well until a staff member came in and started gossiping with the person that was doing my test about another staff member. I got the idea there might be some bullying among the workforce.
The test went well but I felt the attitude was that they were quite big headed and rude. Just my opinion.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Harefield Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

We were disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your recent visit. We try hard to ensure a professional approach at all times but clearly you feel that this was not your experience.

When patients have any concerns at all about our services we encourage them to contact our confidential patient advice and liaison service (PALS) on 01895 826 572 (or pals@rbht.nhs.uk). Acting on feedback from patients through the PALS team enables us to continuously improve our services.

Harold Tobin reviewed Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

Long time patient

I have been attending Harefield since 1981,hav had two open heart surgeries or CABAG's as the staff call them. I have had five sents an ICD inserted? What can I. say 34 years later I'm still here. Thank you to the Surgeons,Cardiac Doctors and Nurses for the many extra years.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 02 March 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 12 March 2015

Dear Harold,
Our surgeons, cardiologists and nurses will be delighted to hear your kind words about the care you have received for over thirty years at Harefield. Our staff pride themselves on the high quality care and treatment they provide to patients. As your experience shows, the interventions they carry out can make a huge difference to people’s lives. Thank you for posting your comments on NHS Choices. Wishing you the very best for the future.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

best hospital around

i had a double bypass at harefield last year (2014) and although it should have been a worrying experience all of the staff from the surgeons to the people bringing the food round made everything easy and relaxed for me....my mother is now in for a pacemaker and at 84 I should worry about her but I don't feel any worry whatsoever as she is in harefield....keep up the good work all you harefield staff......and thank you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 June 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 29 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. We know that being in hospital for a heart operation can be a stressful time for both patients and their relatives. It is great therefore to hear that all of the staff you encountered helped to ensure you were comfortable and worry-free. The whole team at Harefield takes great pride in providing high-quality patient care and will be delighted to read your comments. Wishing you and your mother the very best.

Noorjahan Gajia gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I suffer with Dilated Cardiomyopathy

I have been Suffering since 1987 and have seen Consultant Cardiologist since I have been treated on number of times. I was again admitted in 2010 with Heart Problems and always Received the Best Treatments Taken Care from Consultants, Doctors, Nurses Teams Staff
I still been Treated at Harefield Hospital 28 Years ago.
Myself & my Family would Like to Thank Consultant Cardiologist and all the Doctors Nurses Staff Deep from My Heart

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 20 May 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 27 May 2015

Dear Noorjahan,
Thank you very much for your kind comments – our cardiology teams will be very pleased to read them. As a specialist heart and lung Trust, we aim to offer the best possible specialist treatments for heart conditions such as yours and to provide high-quality care, both short and long term. Thank you again and best wishes for the future.

Helen Hedley gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very caring but supremely professional

Having had to be admitted with constant palpitations to Acorn award , I was very impressed with a of the nursing staff , everyone was very caring but extremely professional . It was very clean and the meals offered lots of choice . It offered wireless internet too . Really good

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Dear Helen,

Great to hear of your recent experience on Acorn ward at Harefield. They are a wonderful team and we’ll make sure they hear about your excellent comments. Thank you for taking the time to post on NHS Choices. We hope you are now doing well and wish you all the best.