Harefield Hospital

Telephone: 01895 823 737
Address: Hill End Road, Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH
Website: http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/

wusaf71 recommended Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

I am very pleased with the overall service from Harefield and recommend it.

What I liked

I have been an outpatient at the Pacing Clinic since 2006. I transferred to Harefield from St Bartholomews Hospital because I live much nearer to there. Harefield has dealt with my defibrillator aftercare as well as my open heart surgery aftercare. My experience has been very positive and I have been well looked after by the entire cardiac team there.
I have standing instructions from my clinic that if ever I have any questions about my care, I can call anytime and will be put through to a technician or, if necessary, a cardiologist, to discuss my concerns.

What could have been improved

My only criticism is that when my ICD's *Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator* battery started to exhibit a drop in its power charge, the hospital did not get me in for replacement surgery for about 6 weeks. I almost missed my daughter's wedding but, luckily, they got me in and did the deed just in time. It was close.

Any other comments

My final comment is very positive, happily. The Pacing Clinic recommended that I apply for the Carelink service which means my ICD is interrogated by a modem on my bedside table every three months, thereby reducing my hospital visits to once a year. This is great.

Visited in November 2010. Posted on 19 September 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 22 September 2011

Many thanks for your comments we will pass on your feedback to staff. It is always valuable for us to hear about the positive impact of the care and treatment you have received and any ways in which it can be improved.

We will use your comments to help us to continue to deliver the best possible care and treatment for patients and their families. If you would be prepared to contact PALS on: 020 7349 7715 or pals@rbht.nhs.uk about the issue you had with waiting times we would be pleased to investigate. Please do get in touch. Thank you once again for taking the time to give us feedback.

Anonymous did not recommend Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

My experience was distressing as staff had no interest in providing information.

What I liked

I was very satisfied with the initial prompt surgical care that my husband received.

What could have been improved

I was deeply distressed by the way I was treated when I arrived at the hospital. The only information that I had was that my husband had been taken ill at work and had been taken to Harefield by ambulance. I spoke to a member of staff at the main reception desk who said yes he had been admitted but they would not provide any information about his condition, they said I should return in two hours at visiting time. I then approached another member of staff at the other desk where patients have ECGs done. She just shrugged and said that if my husband was admitted he must have had a heart attack, she was also not prepared to find out any information for me about his condition. So I had an agonising two hour wait until visiting time, not knowing anything about his condition, the only comfort I had was knowing that he had probably survived otherwise I would not have been advised to return at visiting time.
I was very dissatisfied about various events that I observed and heard about during my husband’s stay. In particular, dirty patient lavatories and patients being left unattended in wheelchairs in great discomfort for long periods of time in draughty corridors.

Visited in May 2011. Posted on 10 August 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 15 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and for your comments.

We were very sorry to learn of your issues. We pride ourselves in providing a high standard of care and it is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience.

We want to act on this promptly. If you would be prepared to contact PALS on: 020 7349 7715 or pals@rbht.nhs.uk they would be pleased to hear and act upon your feedback. We are keen to listen to the experiences of our patients and carers and are constantly seeking to improve the way we do things. Thank you again for letting us know about your experience.

Anonymous recommended Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

Grateful that we live so close to the hospital.

What I liked

The speed and efficiency of the whole process from arriving in an ambulance to being on the ward. The cleanliness of the hospital was a credit to all the staff and the team work was obvious. Everybody worked well together, Everybody was very kind and caring and I am truly grateful.

What could have been improved

My family were left to wait for information whilst I was having treatment and they found it a long wait without information.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 19 July 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 22 July 2011

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback and for your comments. It is always good for us to know that patients have been pleased with their care and we will make sure those staff involved are aware of your views.

We were disappointed to hear that your family was left to wait for information.
If you would be prepared to contact PALS on: 01895 826572 or pals@rbht.nhs.uk we would be pleased to investigate your issues. Please do get in touch as we would like to use your comments to help us deliver the best possible care and treatment for everyone. Thank you once again for your feedback.

tommy98 recommended Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

I was enter in ambulance within hour every thing done

staff was very helpful

every thing is 101%

non

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 02 July 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 04 July 2011

Thank you so much for your comments – we will pass them to the staff who helped you. We are very pleased to hear that you felt so well cared for by staff. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback.

Anonymous recommended at Harefield Hospital

Very caring staff.

What I liked

On the whole the staff were amazing...special thanks to Intensive Care please.. they were brilliant.

What could have been improved

2 nurses and the way they removed my 80 year old Mothers dressings after her op!! She was very stressed and they just ripped off the dressings. When a nurse came and removed them the following day she commented that my Mother need not have been treated that way. This was in HDU. On the whole the nursing staff and the way my Mum was treated was second to none.

Visited in April 2011. Posted on 14 June 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 04 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and for your comments. It is always good for us to know that patients have been pleased with their care and we will make sure those involved are made aware of your views.

We were very disappointed to hear of the issue you had with dressings. If you would be prepared to contact PALS on: 020 7349 7715 or pals@rbht.nhs.uk they would be pleased to hear and act upon your feedback. We are always keen to listen to the experiences of our patients and carers and are constantly seeking to improve the way we do things. Thank you again for your comments.

Anonymous reviewed Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

I was left raging with stress and annoyance until I found reception.

What could have been improved

I must tell anyone who rings this hospital without a name or ward number. The telephone system is awful. Three times I rang and was passed to the wrong place. I asked for CCU, my wife and cardiology in that order. Remember that is three separate calls! Grrrrrrr. So frustrating when you are worried about someone.....
Please say to the recorded message. Reception.
A very helpful person will then help you to your destination and loved one.

Visited in May 2011. Posted on 07 May 2011

Harefield Hospital replied on 11 May 2011

Many thanks for your comments. It is important that patients and families can contact each other if they are visiting the hospital and we will pass on your feedback to staff. We will use your comments to help us deliver the best possible care and treatment for patients and their families. Thank you once again for taking the time to give us feedback.

RWG Green recommended at Harefield Hospital

One of gratitude

What I liked

My emergency Quad CABG was a quite unique experience for me. It was made easier by having an immediate condfidence in the Surgeons and Staff.
The outcome was very successful and I owe a lot to their care and expertise.

Nothing

Visited in June 2010. Posted on 19 December 2010

Harefield Hospital replied on 07 January 2011

Many thanks for your comments. We are delighted to hear that you had confidence in the staff treating you while you were at Harefield. Staff are always pleased to hear positive feedback about their work so we will make sure those involved are made aware of your comments. Thank you once again for taking the time to give us feedback and for your comments about our staff.

john burchell recommended Harefield Hospital

Wonderfully competent, patient-centric, all the staff, medical or otherwise, I..

What I liked

Wonderfully competent, patient-centric, all the staff, medical or otherwise, I encountered were very fine ambassadors for their craft, the Hospital and the NHS generally. My need for emergency treatment was occasioned by a second heart attack 20 years after the first. Unquestionably the only good thing about that is not only was my treatment at Harefield but will continue to be so.

Nothing that I saw.

Any other comments

Just - thank you very much indeed.

Visited in October 2010. Posted on 05 November 2010

Harefield Hospital replied on 08 November 2010

We are delighted to hear that you were happy with your care and treatment while you were at Harefield. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and for taking the time to give us feedback. It is nice to be able to pass on positive comments to our staff about their work so we will make sure those involved are made aware of your views.

grandma marion recommended Harefield Hospital

marvelous

What I liked

I arrived late at night , scared as I was having a heart attack ,as ambulance doors opened the doctors and nurses were waiting and quickly got to work to make me better they were lovely caring ,could not have been in a better place, when I arrived on the ward the nurses there were also wonderful ,the day I was discharged the nurses were so busy but still had time to smile and joke

nothing

Visited in November 2010. Posted on 01 November 2010

Harefield Hospital replied on 07 January 2011

Thank you so much for your comments – we will pass them to the staff who helped you. We are very pleased to hear that you were happy with your care and treatment while you were at Harefield. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback. Thank you once again.

Steve Buckell recommended Harefield Hospital

I would like to express my thanks to the man on the reception desk at the...

What I liked

I would like to express my thanks to the man on the reception desk at the clinic on Thursday 23 Sept for his concern and help when my disabled son started having slight breathing difficulties whilst waiting to see the doctor. Even though the clinic was very busy, he made the time to arrange for my son to use a private room where he could use his breathing machine and to cap it all, the doctor kindly came to see my son for his consultation so that he could stay on his breathing machine.

I feel that this man should be congratulated for being so helpful and for retaining a smile throughout; it helped reduce our stress levels! I should also thank a nurse (Matron I think) who assisted during this time and who probably did more in the background that I am aware of.

Visited in September 2010. Posted on 24 September 2010

Harefield Hospital replied on 04 November 2010

Thank you so much for your comments – we will pass them to the staff who helped you. We are very pleased to hear that you and your son were treated with respect and consideration by our staff while you were at Harefield. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback.