Harefield Hospital

01895 823 737 Hill End Road , Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH

Angie gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lung Surgery

I was admitted and stayed in Cedar 1 Ward for the night before my operation the following morning. I was immediately introduced to the nurse that was going to look after me at that time, which was very reasssuring. At every shift change the nurses would introduce the next nurse that would look after me. All of the nurses and healthcare workers that I had the privilege to meet were absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble and I was treated with courtesy, respect and consideration at all times.
At all stages I felt fully informed and consulted about the operation with any associated pros and risks clearly explained. Both the surgical team and anaesthetist took time with the above and listened and responded to my anxieties.
On the morning of the operation, all the staff I met introduced themselves on route to theatre, and meeting my Surgeon and Registrar pre op helped to put me at my ease and make me feel more confident before the procedure. I would especially include the porters and catering staff who possibly receive few thanks yet do a fantastic job.
Following surgery I spent time in the High Dependency Unit and Cedar 2 Ward with outstanding care. I cannot praise or thank everyone highly enough, and I do genuinely mean everyone that I met at Harefield hospital enough. Harefield is a fantastic Hospital and a jewel in the NHS crown.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 June 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 01 July 2016

Dear Angie,
Thank you for telling us how impressed you were with your treatment. Our clinical teams understand that making sure patients are fully informed and involved in decisions about their care and treating them with respect can make all the difference to their time in hospital. The specialist nursing and surgical teams will be pleased to hear that their approach was appreciated and put you at ease. Thank you for also recognising the efforts of our non-clinical staff who will value your feedback. Many thanks again and best wishes for the future.

ZIPPYPOPPY gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Never Again

Arrived at 0900 for angioplasty, told at 1330 that I was next in the queue, then told at 5pm that the op was cancelled. Said I'd go home & have the op done privately, wish I had done so. Next, I was told the op could be done at 2pm the next day, I said no, this was not possible for domestic reasons. Finally the procedure took place approx 6pm.

I was refused pain relief, which I feel was out of spite as I'd complained about the delay, left screaming in agony and handled roughly, resulting in damage to my arm. Arm swelled up and extreme pressure was applied, then tight bands were strapped on & my arm was put into a sling, which was hung vertically from a hook. I spent 9pm to 4 am sitting upright with the arm suspended like a piece of meat in the butcher's.

No food whatsoever was offered to me (I'd not eaten since 6am) and no pain relief until, on 2nd request, I got 2 panadol tablets at about 730 the next morning. Later a more helpful nurse got me some codeine.

No towel or clean gown, unable to wash or do anything other than brush teeth in a lavatory washbasin. No private facilities on the ward, and usage of mixed sex facilities on the corridor was demeaning, particularly for a male patient who was wheeled half naked into the lavatory. Worse than prison conditions - at least prisoners get fed & can have a wash.

Mistake with hospital transport meant I had to pay £20 for a taxi home.

6 days later my arm is severely bruised, swollen and I have only partial use of it. I still feel dizzy and exhausted from lack of sleep. I remain shocked at the inhumane way in which I was dealt with (won't say "treated" ). Harefield was, for me, the hospital from Hell.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 13 March 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 14 March 2016

We are very sorry to hear that you felt your experience did not meet the high standards for which we strive. We would encourage you to contact our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) for a confidential discussion. You can contact PALS on 020 7349 7715 (Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm) or by email at pals@rbht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous reviewed Respiratory Medicine at Harefield Hospital

Inpatient food and menu

Food served to patients is not good. Soups are thin and tasteless. No roll served as menu. Presentation of mains unappetising and things on menu not served. Eg dry roast chicken and overdone roast potatoes. Menu says with stuffing and Yorkshire pud, not served. Pudding chosen not available.
Food is vital part of recovery and just not good enough. Has drastically detriotated since last in 2 years ago

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 15 March 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 31 March 2016

We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the meals provided and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Our latest patient-led assessment rated food at Harefield slightly above the national average, but we are always striving to improve our services and recognise that an important part of this is acting on patient comments and suggestions. Thank you for your feedback which we have passed to our catering team.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My father was admitted for a triple bypass. The operation went well and I just want to say a big thank you to all the doctors and especially the nurses who made a real effort to go beyond the call of duty and look after my Dad. From everything from food, to conversation, to reassuring the family - the nurses were amazing. My family will be forever in gratitude for the exceptional care. We cannot put into words how thankful we are.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 04 January 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you for letting us know how pleased you were with your father’s treatment. We are extremely proud of our expert clinical teams and are fortunate to have skilled nurses who are fully committed to providing the very best care to patients. They will be happy to hear you appreciated their efforts and that they were able to put you and your family at ease. Wishing you the very best for the future.

Brenda Redford gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful hospital

My son was admitted last August after having a heart attack. He is only 36. They saved his life. He has had wonderful care and support. Cannot thank you enough. He had a diffulator fitted in March which went well. The doctors and nurses are worth their weight in Gold.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 30 May 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Dear Brenda,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We are proud that the heart attack centre at Harefield has one of the fastest treatment times in the country as we know the speed of treatment is crucial to a patient's chances of survival. It is great to hear that your son has benefitted from the expertise of our clinical team and they will be very grateful for your kind words. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback and we wish you and your son the very best for the future.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

AMAZING CARE !

I have now been discharged from Harefield, having been with them for 2 years. The care and support I have been given has been faultless. The consultants are the kindest people I have ever met - two Drs in particular have been so patient with me, explaining everything, and putting my mind at ease. During my 2 stays on the Oak Ward, I have never met kinder, caring Nurses, who go out of their way to provide the best care they can, going above and beyond their duties. This Hospital has the most amazing staff, anyone under their care should know they are in the best place they could possibly be. Thank you so much to everyone at Harefield for helping me through the most difficult, and scary time of my life.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 26 November 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 22 December 2015

Thank you for your comments about the high standards of care you experienced. We are fortunate to have highly-skilled staff who are dedicated to providing the best quality of care possible. It is great to hear that the way you were treated by our doctors and nurses helped you to feel at ease and able to deal with the anxiety of being in hospital. Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2016.

victor colin bryce gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellant staff.

I went into hospital for heart by pass 3 weeks ago, and from going through the door to leaving after surgery one week later ,i was attended day and night right from intensive care to all the nurses who of all nationalites were great, Nothing was too much trouble for them even getting me a cup of tea out of hours,I was on maple ward in a single room which was fine and having tv helped to pass the day and night, If there was small thing i would liked to have asked a few qestions about my surgery at the time before i left but was on morphine all week and was not really with it when i left,But have follow up in few weeks so will get all details then,Good Luck to all staff.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 09 May 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 24 May 2016

Dear Victor,
Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the treatment you received. We are fortunate to have dedicated clinical staff who recognise the importance of providing patient-centred care at all times. Our specialist nurses know that being in hospital can be a stressful time, so they do everything they can to put patients at ease. It is pleasing to hear that you appreciated their efforts. Thank you again for your comments and feedback, which we will pass on to the relevant teams. Wishing you all the best for the future.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Double Lung Transplant patient

We were referred to this hospital in 2011 when my husband came to UK after a double lung Transplant in Vienna. Initially he was a private patient but as time wore on and he became a resident of UK he was treated under the NHS...The treatment he received was exactly the same. The Doctors and Nurses are second to none and the confidence we had in his care allowed us to live a semi normal life. I cannot recommend this hospital highly enough. I also have to mention the doctor, the most wonderful Dr I have ever encountered, and also the entire team.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 30 December 2016

Harefield Hospital replied on 23 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience about the care your husband received at Harefield Hospital. Our heart and lung transplantation unit is the UK’s largest and most experienced centres. We are lucky to have some of the country’s leading thoracic surgeons and highly-specialist nurses, providing patients with the most sophisticated treatments available anywhere in the world. The teams that cared for your husband will be very pleased to hear that they have made a real difference. Thank you for recommending us and we wish you both the best for the future.