Harefield Hospital

Telephone: 01895 823 737
Address: Hill End Road, Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH
Website: http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/

Michael O'Connor gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb treatment,care and excellent cardio rehab

From the moment I arrived while suffering a Heart Attack the treatment I received was 2nd to none I was kept informed of what was happening to me and felt very reassured and at ease that I was in the best possible hands and everything was going to be fine..

Once on the ward nothing was too much trouble and although everything is handled in a professional manner there was always a jovial atmosphere and good humour .

Once home six weeks of cardio rehab gave a great understanding of what and why had happened to me and how to prevent it happening again,Twice weekly sessions in the hospital gym under superb supervision got me fitter than I've been for years (even took part in the hospital fun run) .

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 20 December 2013

Harefield Hospital replied on 23 December 2013

Michael, thanks so much for sharing these comments regarding your treatment and rehab at Harefield Hospital. Our primary angioplasty service has an enviable reputation for having one of the fastest arrival-to-treatment times in the UK (27 mins as oppose to a national average of 42 mins). We always strive to provide excellent follow-up care, and our cardiac rehab programme has enjoyed great success since it began operation in 1991.

Staff are always appreciative of positive feedback so we’ll be sure to let them know how much you valued their care and good humour. We look forward to seeing you at the fun run again in 2014!

Martin P gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

One year on from a double bypass

Whoever needs an example of how a hospital should be run should look no further than Harefield. From the initial referral to the operation itself and then the after care, this hospital was flawless. Unlike my local A&E, the pride, professionalism and care shown by all the staff screams from the reception to the exit. It was so nice to see people who, obviously very busy, could still manage a smile. That to me speaks volumes.

I was put at ease through what was for me quite a frightening time, and my Surgeon quickly calmed any fears I had (and kept me laughing to boot). I had no memory of the Recovery room, but the staff in ICU and Maple Ward were really a class apart in caring for me (and everyone else there). A big thank you to one of the nurses on Maple. I'd love to nominate you for Nurse of the year, if I could.

The biggest compliment I can pay the staff is that people looked genuinely shocked when they hear I had this operation as apparenlty I look so well.

Keep up the great work, keep smiling, and I hope to visit you all again soon under better circumstances. Maybe help with some fundraising.

All the very best,

Martin

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 15 May 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 19 May 2014

Dear Martin, thank you very much for providing such a wonderful endorsement for the care provided at Harefield Hospital. As you say, being in hospital can be a frightening time for patients and their relatives, so our staff are always keen to take the time to make the whole experience as comfortable as possible. We will make sure your comments reach the relevant teams at Harefield and they will be delighted to hear that the care provided was so appreciated and that you have had a good recovery. Best wishes.

Sue Kay gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Oak ward is the Place to be!!

"If you have to have a heart attack (and I did) ... and you have to go to a hospital quite as suddenly (as I did) ... on a hot sunny bank holiday ... of all days? (Mar 6th 2013) .........Then the place to be? ............. Is ACCU and OAK WARD at Harefield!!!"

"A very BIG Thank you to you all ... from My consultant and my Registra for the day ... all the way down through the many Ladies and Girls who make the place 'Tick, Hum and such a very happy place to be ....( considering the various reasons people are in ACCU) ...all the way down to the Cleaner who always had a big smile on his face each morning and a happy word to say to each and every one of us!"

I can not say a big enough "THANK YOU" to you all ... for basically saving my life and making my stay a happy and informative one ... and not as scary as I honestly thought that it would be. You are all wonderful!!" I just do not have the words to describe adequately just how much you helped and supported me through a very traumatic 48 hours.

Sue Kay. ( the 'chatty one in bed 9.) Hugz all and keep at it!!!

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 16 May 2013

Harefield Hospital replied on 17 May 2013

Your comments are much appreciated. It is good to know that you felt that you were treated well at all times. Our staff pride themselves on going the extra mile for patients and it will be great for them to know how much their hard work is valued. We will make sure everyone sees your comment. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your very positive experience.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

change of pacemaker after having one previously in another hospital

treatment at this hospital ( oak ward) was excellent ,my consultant was very accomodating ,could not ask for better in every respect .having previously had a pacemaker fitted 2012 at another hospital, and over the year having many increasing problems.I had a new pacemaker fitted here. I still have other problems but my heart now beats like a 20 year old .Thank you all for all you TLC

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 11 May 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 13 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience as a patient at Harefield. The Trust’s doctors implanted over 1,000 pacemaker devices for patients in 2013/14 and we hope they were all equally as pleased with the care they received. Wishing you the very best.

Cornell148 gave Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Loaner Power Module for a VAD Recipient from the U.S.

My wife and I are from NY in U.S.A. We visited London March 1, 2013 thru March 4, 2013. I am an LVAD Recipient which I got in Strong Memorial in Rochester, NY on June 3, 2011.

We came to London with our Power Module, Battery Charger and electrical cords with the correct plug-ins for the UK. My PM went "kaput" after it was plugged in for about 2 hours or so. It was not the cord, it was the PM. So, my VAD Team in Rochester, NY had sent me Harefield Hospital as a contact in case I/we needed VAD services. Assistance also came from Thoratec in Rochester.

We called and talked to someone who arranged for a loaner to be brought to me at the hotel where we were staying. It came Saturday, March 1, 2013 and I returned it to the lobby when we left on Monday, March 4, 2013 for pick-up by Harefield Hospital of Thoratec later that day.

We just want to thank Thoratec in London area for their assistance. Even though I can sleep with the batteries for power, the PM is better for sleeping. So, my wife and I truly appreciate your help in our dilemma. Kudos to all!!! Thank you.

P.S. - The two things below were filled out so this form could be sent. We really never visited the hospital and if we did, cardiology would have been the department.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 05 March 2013

Harefield Hospital replied on 06 March 2013

We are delighted to hear that staff at Harefield Hospital were able to help you and will pass your comments and thanks along to the VAD team.

Thanks for taking the time to post on NHS Choices, we really appreciate it.

Anonymous gave Harefield Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No respect for our mother when she was passing away.

My mum was passing away and they wouldn’t let us see her because it was outside of visiting hours. Clearly at this stage of our mum’s illness visiting hours shouldn’t apply and our family should be given as much of what little time there is left to spend together. We weren’t just visiting our mum, we wanted to be able to say goodbye to her.

I can’t even truly begin to put into words how rude and disrespectful the staff were. They called security who grabbed hold of me, shaking my mother’s bed which must have been terrifying for her, and then threatened to call the police, just because I wanted to spend those last few moments with my mum to say goodbye to her.

I can’t even begin to truly put into words how disgusted and upset I am at the unbelievable lack of respect for our family when our mother was passing away. They just had no care for our feelings whatsoever. The staff were always confused and could never provide the same answers to any questions we asked, they always gave us totally different information, and on one occasion actually admitted that this was in fact because they hadn’t taken the time to read our mother’s notes.

The staff don’t understand the word care. I cannot believe the lack of respect and lack of dignity they had for our mum.

I always left the hospital shaking and I just hope our poor mum never ever remembers being there.

Rest in peace now mum.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 17 March 2013

Harefield Hospital replied on 16 April 2013

We have a very flexible approach to visiting hours, especially when it becomes clear that a patient is approaching the end of his/her life. We encourage families to spend as much time as they need together.

On the very few occasions that visitors have been asked to leave the premises, this has been because of an unacceptable level of abuse towards staff and a lack of respect for other patients and families. However, even in these circumstances, there would be no physical contact.

The results of the NHS national inpatient survey 2012 were published today and show that patients at the Trust feel they are treated with respect and dignity and have confidence in our staff.

Cihan gave Lung cancer services at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Many Thanks to you all

It has been almost 3 years now since I had a lung surgery in Harefield Hospital.
Once more I want to thanks to you all for your work, support and care you provided during my stay.
Life is beautiful, I am now skiing in Switzerland and think that I was so lucky to be addmitted to Harefield Hospital. :)

I especially want to thank you to private ward nurses, ICU nurses and my doctors. :) Thanks, thanks, thanks...
I wish I did note the names of all the nurses who cared for me. You were amazing.

Yes, you are in good hands with Harefield Hospital Staff.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 16 February 2015

Harefield Hospital replied on 18 February 2015

Dear Cihan. Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience as a patient at Harefield Hospital. It is great to hear that you are so well after surgery. Your comments about your care will be gratefully received by our clinical teams. Best wishes.

Ann gave Respiratory Medicine at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Anzac ward nurses and Doctor

The nurses in the Anzac ward and my doctor were marvellous and made me feel completely safe and at ease.
I felt so well looked after and without a doubt it is the best hospital I have ever been a patient of, because of the wonderful staff and how well they looked after me.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 26 March 2014

Harefield Hospital replied on 27 March 2014

Many thanks for your comments regarding the ANZAC Centre. Feeling safe and well looked after when you’re in hospital is vitally important, so we are very pleased to read that this was your experience at Harefield. We will pass your words on to the people involved in your care.

Lydia gave Respiratory Medicine at Harefield Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My stay at Harefield for lung surgery.

The care which I received at Harefield was terrific. The care and compassion of the nurses was comforting after my operation. The area around my bed was spotless and was kept clean by a cheery lady who always encouraged me and talked if I felt like talking. The operation was a success for which I am grateful to the consultant and his team. The porters were cheery and chatty. The frequent checks which were made on my condition gave me confidence that I was making progress.
On the day of my discharge I was given a shower and had a hairwash which lifted my spirits.
I am so grateful to everyone at Harefield, in all the departments.

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 23 February 2013

Harefield Hospital replied on 25 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about Harefield Hospital, we are very pleased to hear that you have had such a positive experience.

All our staff, no matter which department they work for, pride themselves on delivering the highest standards in care to patients. We will share the details of your message with the team at Harefield.

Anonymous recommended Cardiology at Harefield Hospital

Exellent !!!

What I liked

I am writing this comment with my father who as recently had heart surgery at Hearfield,we can't sing the prayse's of the staff at this hospital enough,from the consutant and his team down to the young lady that came around with the meals,he was treated with respect and dignity on all departments from the Theatre, Recovery were they took such good care of him after his surgery,HDU and the Cherry tree ward.The Nursing at this hospital is second to none,not only did they take time with my father they were more than happy to take time to explain things to us his family.All hospitals should have Nurses like this.My father and the rest of our family would like to say a Big Thank You to all the staff who cared for him whilst he was in hospital,your a credit to this hospital and the NHS.

What could have been improved

Nothing it's perfect as it is.

Visited in December 2012. Posted on 30 December 2012

Harefield Hospital replied on 31 December 2012

Many thanks for the lovely, positive comments about your father’s care whilst at Harefield Hospital. It is very heartening for our clinical teams to know that their hard work is valued and that you and your other family members felt well cared for. Our staff pride themselves on their high standards and are always appreciative when this is acknowledged. We will pass your comments on to them and would like to thank you for taking the time to post on NHS Choices.