Leicester Royal Infirmary

0300 303 1573 Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square , Leicester, Leicestershire, LE1 5WW

Anonymous reviewed Leicester Royal Infirmary

How about some simple directions?

Did not even reach A&E. If there are signs showing where to drop off for it we did not see them. We finally parked on the old road to a&e in a yellow outlined box saying "Drop off" but having trailed my poorly wife past unending 'adult emergency' signs she could go no further so we came home again for her to spend the night in pain. Ironically we had been swayed to avoid the wait for an ambulance and find our own way there.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 04 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 05 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're really sorry to hear that you had difficulty finding our new Emergency Department and that your wife spent the night in pain. We are currently working on improving our signage around the department to eliminate issues like this happening. We will however be passing your feedback onto the team so that they are aware.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback - it's really important in helping us to improve our service for future patients.

We hope your wife is feeling better and wish her a speedy recovery.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

GAU The most unhelpful, rude and inconsiderate nurses ever.

I have had the misfortune to have to attend this department on several occasions during the early stages of a problematic pregnancy. I am suffering from Hyperemesis and also have epilepsy. I have been vomiting so much I have been unable to keep my medication down, I have been admitted to the ward several times via A&E despite me informing them that I am almost instantly sent home. My latest admission was yesterday morning, this time I was seen by an actual doctor, who agreed that I should not be allowed home until I had displayed that I was able to eat and keep it down. The nurses however, have overruled this and insisted I leave the hospital despite the fact that I am still vomiting regularly. When I asked to see a doctor I was told none were working, I was also denied access to a ward manager and the nurse in charge refused to provide a name for a ward manager claiming there isn't one. If I am not able to keep my medication down, my epilepsy medication will not be working and my unborn baby and me are therefore at risk. I have also overheard the nurses talking about me among themselves and referring to me as annoying.

I would also point out that on a previous visit, I was asked to provide a urine sample, I advised the nurse the same was in the bathroom, they did not go into the bathroom but informed the other nurses that no sample had been left. This was witnessed by my step mother, who also informed another nurse who ignored her. Eventually my father retrieved the sample himself and made a point of handing it to the first nurse who looked visibly embarrassed. No apology was given, but I was made to feel uncomfortable for highlighting their lies.

This is a stressful enough time for me and I do not expect to be treated in this way. I will be taking whatever action is necessary to ensure other patients or not treated in the same way.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We are really sorry to hear about your negative experience in our Gynaecology department at the Royal Infirmary. The way you were treated by our staff is not acceptable and we would like to look into this further, so if you are happy to do so, please email: communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk with your name, address, date of birth and hospital number, and a member of the team will investigate your concerns further.

The health of both you and your unborn baby is particularly important and we are really disappointed to hear that you found the level of care during your hospital stay to be poor.

We look forward to hearing from you so we can investigate this further.

Leicester's Hospitals

julie smith gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

Didn't have to wait very long everything was explained to me felt at ease. Was great service was really happy.Staff are very nice and friendly.Been here in the past for operation was excellent then and still is. Staff do a great job thank you .

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 07 June 2017

Hi Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're really pleased to hear that you were impressed with the service provided in our ENT Department at the Royal Infirmary and that out staff were friendly! This is great to hear and we will pass your comments onto everyone in the team.

Julie gave General Medicine at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Fantastic caring & compassionate staff

My mum was recently admitted as an emergency. The compassion & understanding we received from ED through ACB & on to W23 was amazing.
W23 staff- nurses, Dr's, HCA's, porters & house keepers were all amazing. The support they gave to my mum & our whole family during a very stressful & upsetting time was second to none. They are there to hold my mum's hand & offer a listening ear when she needs it & even greeting her with hugs following her 1st radiotherapy treatment.
We couldn't have got through the past week without them.
Thanks for everything- you do an amazing job.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 12 June 2017

Dear Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're really pleased to hear that your mum received excellent care when she was admitted to the Royal Infirmary recently. We will pass your lovely comments onto all the teams involved.

We wish your mum a speedy recovery and all the best with her treatment.

Leicester's Hospitals

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

My labour!

The team on the labour ward where absolutely brilliant. They kept me informed all the way through my induction process and made sure i felt happy with everything. I could not of done it without my midwife and student midwife who were amazing and helped me no end.

I cannot fault them at all everything they did was perfect and helped our daughter arrive safely!

Thank you so much!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 13 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 15 June 2017

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted to hear about the level of care you received at Leicester Royal Infirmary from all of the team involved. We will pass on your feedback to the teams where it will be much appreciated. We hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Leicester’s Hospitals

Rory McKay gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service provided by UHL LRI

I would just like to say a million and one thanks to the Nurse Practitioner at A&E for helping me with an eye infection I was seen to within an hour of arriving and they provided me with an eye test and advice which was second to none. The nurse did an outstanding job in helping me with an infection as well as giving me advice for treatment. The nurse is a credit to UHL A & E and did an outstanding job considering it was their 1st week of being a nurse practitioner. I am sure that they are set to go far in the NHS and I hope they keep providing this world class service for many years to come.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 22 June 2017

Dear Rory

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted to hear about the level of care provided to you by the Nurse Practioner. We will pass on your feedback where it will be much appreciated. We hope you are recovering well.

Leicester's Hospitals

Maggie gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Endocapsule procedure

I was in there yesterday, staff were amazing. Nothing was to much trouble. Everything was explained and I must say the staff were run off their feet. Thank God for the NHS or where would we be. These doctors/nurses/admin need more staff.

I was in the encology department.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

diane lightfoot gave Rheumatology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

medication delivery

Once again my injections havn,t been delivered and once again i am without medication. LRI rheumatology dept said the prescription was sent last friday , the delivery people said not . Having phoned various people /departments at the hospital the outcome is each one is blaming the other , meanwhile i am the one who is suffering. This service is absolutely appalling , this isn't the 1st time this has happened, i even have my blood test done 3 weeks beforehand to give them plenty of time.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 20 June 2017

Dear Diane,

We are very sorry to hear about your problems regarding your medication. Can you please send your details (address, date of birth and NHS Number) along with the best contact number/email address to Richard.Phillips@uhl-tr.nhs.uk so that we can look into this for you and get in touch to discuss.

Richard Phillips
General Manager

Anonymous gave Urology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 2 stars

When does urgent mean urgent with UHL

My husband was told he needed an urgent day case op to test for cancer and if he does not hear anything from the hospital regarding an appointment for this within 2 weeks he is to call. Today I called and despite recognising he is down as urgent we have been told there is a backlog.

We appreciate the pressure the UHL is under and recognise the mammoth task they have on their hands, we also applaud them for the work they do however when the words urgent and cancer have been used together it is very nerving. I and my husband are on edge day in day out, we know there will be a wait for the results too which is making our situation even more stressing. It is unfair to make people afraid and then keep them waiting, I know 2 weeks is nothing compared to some others waiting months or so for an appointment, but as I stated previously cancer and urgent in the same sentence puts the fear of God in a person.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 15 June 2017

Dear reviewer,

We are very sorry to hear about your concerns and the delay. Can you please send your husband’s details (address, date of birth and NHS Number) along with the best contact number/email address to Angela.Barnard@uhl-tr.nhs.uk so that we can look into this for you and get in touch to discuss.

Angela Barnard
General Manager
Leicester's Hospitals

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 3 stars

Terrible staff and service sort it out for goodness sake !

Visited a and e new so called walk in with elderly man bought in by ambulance 4 hours later nothing ! Board stupid system ! No one know what Order if any they're very rude staff. And even when someone fainted and I helped they ignored them on the floor for a good 3 mins and with disinterest !!!!!!! Great ! When I asked how long a good 7 hours told in a dismissive way you'll have to wait ! Well we didn't at 80 he'd had enough so we left only then did I get spoken to an dthat was for his notes huh ! I'm not working employ me I'd be much nicer to people even if I had worked 12 hours get some English speaking people and dr will you with a bed side lovely manner !! Sick of it about time you did something about it

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 31 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in our A&E department following your recent visit. We are working hard to reduce delays which have been caused by high demand and teething problems within the new department as our staff get used to new systems and new processes.

Each patient is initially assessed by the team before waiting to be seen. Depending on the seriousness of the patient’s condition, there are different areas of the Emergency Department they might need to visit. Some patients wait to be seen by a GP whilst others are waiting for the injuries section to be seen by a Doctor in our Emergency Department. The most serious and urgent patients are brought in via the ambulance bay which you wouldn’t see whilst waiting. This may go some way to explaining how the numbering system works.

We apologise that our staff appeared to be rude and dismissive when you spoke to them - this is not acceptable and we will be taking on board your feedback and passing your comments onto the team.