Leicester Royal Infirmary

0300 303 1573 Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square , Leicester, Leicestershire, LE1 5WW

Susan gave Ophthalmology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Good service

All the staff were very kind and professional. The consultant was brilliant. The operating theatre staff made me feel very comfortable as I was a little nervous. I was given plenty of information. Very pleased

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 08 August 2017

Dear Susan, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Ophthalmology at Leicester Royal Infirmary. We are pleased that you found our staff caring and supportive and were given plenty of information to assist you in any decisions/choices. Your comments will be forwarded to the teams involved in your care and you can be assured they will be very much appreciated.

We know our staff do an excellent job but it is very much appreciated when we received reviews such as yours. We hope you are recuperating well. Best wishes, Communications Team, Leicester's Hospitals.

Mrs K Hay gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Amazing Care in Children's Emergency Department

We recently took our 18 month old daughter in as we were worried about a persistent cough and high temperature and then an increased work of breathing on a Saturday evening.

We arrived and we're greeted by the nurse at the front desk who was friendly and polite and assigned our daughter a score that told staff in the assessment area how quickly she needed to be assessed and we sat down in the waiting area. Very soon a senior nurse took us through to be assessed and our daughter's vital signs were measured by a health care assistant and another nurse who was also very friendly came and asked us some questions and assessed our daughter.

We were seen quickly by a consultant paediatrician who was great with our little one and they ordered a chest X-ray for her and it showed some changes that indicated why she was having trouble with her breathing and a prescription for antibiotics was written.

Another senior nurse brought us our antibiotics and explained them to us and asked if we had any questions.

Throughout our time in the department everybody introduced themselves, from the lovely health care assistant who measured our daughters vital signs through to the doctors and nurses that assessed her and brought her the medication.

Everybody was polite, professional, compassionate and courteous. We are so lucky to have such a brilliant service available to us. I cannot recommend Leicester Royal Infirmary's Children's Emergency Department enough.

Amazing people who do an amazing job. Thank you so much.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 14 August 2017

Dear Mrs Hay,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're delighted to hear that all our staff were kind and courteous and looked after your daughter well during her visit to our Children's Emergency Department recently. We really appreciate your feedback and will be passing your positive comments on to all the team involved, who we are sure will be really pleased to hear this!

We hope your daughter is recovering well at home and wish her all the best.

Leicester's Hospitals

Rachel Simpson gave Infectious Diseases at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

A&E and then IDU

Just home from 3 nights in LRI, entered through a&e, Friday night. From start to finish the whole experience was excellent. All staff were fantastic. A&e was relatively quick and efficient. Treatment on the ward was thorough and attentive. The nurses are absolute heros, working tirelessly and putting up with some real abusive idiots. The lady next to me was very poorly and needed lots of attention, I witnessed at least 10 different nurses deal with her and they all treated her with respect, diligence and a mountain of patience.
What a brilliant hospital - in fact I wasn't too bothered about coming home. 😊

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Rachel,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
We're delighted to hear that all of our staff in both our Emergency Department and on the IDU ward were courteous and looked after your well following your visit. We will be passing your feedback on to the team!
We hope you are feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery.
Leicester's Hospitals

Lorraine Holland gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Patient heal thyself!!

Went to accident and emergency at 10.27pm, waited for 4 hours just to be assessed and saw 2 nurses. Explained mine was an on going condition and I am seeing a Consultant for said condition.
The second nurse I saw was very offhand to me, as I had been to UCC Many times I know the drill!
I felt he just wanted to get rid of the patients, perhaps because of red tape and paper work etc.
The nurse told me things that I knew from previous visits and being looked after by Doctors/Consultants that the nurseswere different to their Consultant s views!!!!
They then told me that they would refer me to the GP that was on duty but I would have to wait another 5 yes 5 hours as their was only one GP on duty.This was at
2.10am! Why is their only one GP on duty, in the UCC their was always 2.
I felt so ill so went to reception who told me to go to a'hub'!!
I decided to come home, it's scary sitting in an open area with drunks for another 5 hours.
I've now arrived home, I had to walk through town centre by myself, sacrifIce never been treated like this was my first experience at the new A&E.
All that money spent on it and you only have one GP on for Primary Care.
So thank you to that nurse, I've left a trail of vomit all the way into town, would they have wanted his family member to be left like this.
I know it's a hard job but a bit of kindness goes a long way.
So I repeat the heading "patients heal thyself"

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Lorraine,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
We're really shocked and disappointed to hear about your recent experience in our Emergency Department at the Royal Infirmary. We are also sorry that particular staff members were rude to you and that you felt that you had to wait around a lot before seeing any one. We would like to investigate this further, so if you are happy to do so, please email your full name, address, date of birth and hospital number to: communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk and we can raise this with the team.
We're really sorry again and we hope you are feeling better.

Mimi gave Gynaecology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

GAU big thanks to the staff

I was admitted to gynecology assessment unit LRI, for laparoscopy due to possible ovarian ectopic pregnancy, due to my situation and other family circumstances, the whole experience was very hard and upsetting, I had no family with me and I went through all this by myself, that's why I wanted to thank the staff on that shift 07/08/17, they were fantastic and very supportive and very nice, the Junior doctor was very attentive and very understanding, the 2 HCAs were very helpful, they stayed with me and were very caring and kept asking me if they can do anything else, I know I can't say their names but please I want them to know that I'm very happy they were on shift as they made my experience less lonely and upsetting.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust replied on 18 August 2017

Dear Mimi,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
We're really sorry to hear that you went through all of this on your own - this must have been a very difficult and scary time for you, but we're pleased to hear that all of our staff were caring and looked after you well during the procedure. If you can remember the names of the HCAs who stayed with you then please email further details to: communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk, and we will pass your lovely comments on.
We hope you are recovering at home and wish you all the best.

Graham Carter gave Haematology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 3 stars

Haematology

I spent most of today waiting for what is euphemistically called a 'telephone appointment' which had been arranged some months previously and for which I had my blood tested at the same department a week or two previously.

The concept is that it will save the hospital's time and resources and I am quite happy with the arrangement, unless no one calls me. There are very good reasons why I must know my results. Without going into detail, the fact is that it was arranged and agreed.

After midday the post arrived and I received a letter referring to a phone call on the 16th August 2017 that couldn't possibly have taken place. The fact is that I can only be called on the date arranged, just like a hospital appointment. My telephone system won't allow unexpected calls. I note that telephone appointments are always arranged for a Friday, as is my next one.

I rang Haematology three times once I realised that a call wasn't going to take place but no one picked up and I left voice-mail messages offering to call at the hospital to pick up the results if they rang before 5.00pm. I have had no reply.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 18 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 21 August 2017

Dear Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We're really sorry to hear that you're still waiting for your results and that nobody from the team has called you with regards to this. We would like to look into this for you and try and resolve the situation, so if you are happy to do so, please email: communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk with your name, address, date of birth and hospital number and we will pass this on to the General Manager to call you to discuss further.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope to be able to resolve this for you.

Leicester's Hospitals

SandN gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

waste of time - Too many KPIs - Not enough fault resolution.

Last night was the third time this has happened to my wife - about the same issue.

She had Chronic Stomach and Chest pains, 111 who told her to have 4 x 75mg of Aspirin. A paramedic was called.

On arrival the paramedic done an ECG, Diabetic Test and various other investigative items, and concluded it could was most likely Gallstones.

My wife had her gall bladder removed 2 years ago and were aware that you can still get gall stones afterward, but not as common.

So we went by ambulance to the LRI.

After waiting for along time, she had blood tests done another ECG, Then more waiting.
we were then sent to the see the consultant. Who walked in the room said
"Your blood test and ECG are fine you can go now".

we replied "what about the canula?"

The response was "Oh do you have a canula?"

Well obviously how did you get her bloods?

- Now I am not a Dr but I am aware that gall stones have to be detected by ultrasound.
Somehow we went from an investigation into gall stone too a possible heart condition.

When the nurse was removing the canula.

we asked if they had concluded what was wrong their words were amazing.

"No you are fine, there is nothing wrong with you, what were you doing when it happened?"

"Eating Naan bread Pizza."

"Hmmmm that could be it, cheese is really rich."

and walked off.

---------------------------------
We are still none the wiser, we have had no clarification why she suffers this pain, There has been no suggestion of investigation.

-------------------------------
It seems all that medical staff want to do is to their get patients out of the surgery as quick as possible by masking the pain with pain killers, solving the symptoms of an illness not curing the root problem.

Analogy -

It's like taking your car to the garage with a noisy engine, for the mechanic to give you ear defenders, charge you £100 and send you home.

-----------------

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Nobody answer the phone!!!!!

Trying to call outpatient clinic reception, option 2 for surgery date and waiting list from july!!! Nobody answer!!! Calling every hour!!! But at 4.01 pm- sorry call back working hours Mon- Fri 8am- 4pm!!!! Called to booking centre, they give me the same number, keep calling!!

My son is 3 years old. When he was 2 we came to ENT clinic, can't brief at all!!! All year we been sitting in a queue 1,5 hours just to hear- see you in 1 month. After 1 year decided to do operation!!! And now I am calling for 2 month to know when will be the opetation- nobody answer!!!!
I don't know what to do alredy :(

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 22 August 2017

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are very sorry to hear about your problems contacting the ENT department. In order for us to investigate this further, can you please send your son's details (address, date of birth and NHS Number) along with your contact number/email address and the number you have been calling to communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk so that we can look into this for you.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

I was admitted for 5 days in isolation due to extreme sickness which led to low potassium and threatened miscarriage. I would like to thank all the team, nurses doctors and consultants for their care and support during a very stressful time for myself and family.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 08 August 2017

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Gynaecology at Leicester Royal Infirmary. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the high level of care you received, during what we appreciate was a very stressful time for you and your family. You comments will be circulated to the teams involved in your care. We know our staff do an excellent job but it is very much appreciated when we receive comments such as yours. Best wishes, Communications Team, Leicester's Hospitals.

KDW reviewed Leicester Royal Infirmary

I wasn't informed of my father's hospital discharge

My father in his eighties was admitted to Leicester Royal Infirmary, more by the luck I found out he was there. Originally, care was excellent on his first ward whilst he was being assessed, after four days he was transferred to a different ward where after the first night there his clothes were stolen, also house keys. When I pointed this out to a member of staff on the ward, they replied; what do you want me to do about it, I haven't got eyes in the back of me head, then they walked off.My father was eventually discharged from this ward and sent home, but they failed to inform me he was being sent home, I found out he had gone home after I had turned up to visit him.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 10 August 2017

Dear reviewer, thank you for leaving a review for Leicester Royal Infirmary, however we are very disturbed to read your comments and would ask you urgently to contact our Patient Information Liaison Team (PILS) Tel. 08081 788337 (freephone) or email pils@uhl-tr.nhs.uk with all of the information relating to the incidents ie name, address, hospital number particularly as your allegation of stealing is very serious and needs to be investigated and also the response of the member of staff. As your review does not offer any information as to ward, location, date etc, this is the only means by way of hospital progressing this matter.

They would also investigate your other comment as to the discharge of your father. Thank you for your co-operation, best wishes, Communications Team, Leicester's Hospitals.