Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Pink Sapphire gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional !!

I was referred into the care of gynaecology and had several outpatient appointments and two day admissions. I was able to discuss my condition with the consultants I saw and was actively involved in the decision making of my treatment and was given the time and space to reflect on my options with the support of healthcare professionals, who were without exception brilliant. Ward staff were attentive and caring couldn't fault any aspect of my care from referral to discharge. Happily, my healthcare issues are all resolved, couldn't be happier. Thank you!!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 04 April 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding the Gynaecology Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the support, care and treatment you received from the staff at your outpatient appointments and during your admission. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Urology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Gold medal to the nurse

I attended the Urology clinic as a very apprehensive outpatient today but have to give full marks to my assigned nurse, who put me at ease and was very professional throughout. Wish they could have had full control of the camera as the doc had some difficulty in inserting it...
Amazed that we were offered a cup of tea whilst waiting!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 07 April 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience in the Urology Clinic at Burnley General Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the support, care and treatment you received from the assigned nurse.
You have specifically mentioned the care provided by the nurse and we are keen that your comments are brought to the attention of this particular member of staff. We would be very grateful if you could contact the Patient Experience Team to confirm the date and time of your visit to the Urology Clinic so we can identify the member of staff concerned.
If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disorganised chaos

My son had an appointment in the ultrasound dept, took a day of work, spent a fortune on a bus ticket to get there and starved himself till 2:30 in the afternoon only to get there and they had cancelled it and hadn't bothered to inform us. When i rang to complain the switchboard operator was rude and cut me off mid conversation. The staff in the dept all be it apologetic said they had sent a letter. The letter arrived the next day after the appointment was cancelled. Great service! ! Will stick to requesting Airedale in future.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 April 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding the ultrasound department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am sorry your son took a day off work, and upon arrival found that his appointment had been cancelled. I am also sorry that when you rang the switchboard operator was rude and cut you off mid conversation.
I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team. However, if you would like us to look into this further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk
If you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or by emailing complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency surgery

I'd like to say a massive thankyou to all at burnleys early pregnancy unit for their professionalism and compassion during treatment for an ectopic pregnancy. Without their help I may not have been here to write a his review. Absolutely brilliant.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 April 2017

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the support, care and compassion you received from the staff during your admission for emergency surgery. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
Patient Experience Facilitator

David gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Shocking

What an absolutely shocking place this hospital is.

A number of nurses were rude to parents and also patients. Nurses had very poor hygiene, both bodily and enviroentally.

It was mentioned to nurses regarding the proper method of hand washing, before attending to the patients.

A number of times parents had concerns about the patients and these were overlooked.

A patient had vomited and they were left without any care for over an hour. Apparently nurses were pretty occupied at the time (I will add that yes they were occupied, by the use of their mobile phones).

Mix up after mix up with medications and not following proper information regarding medication.

The list is endless, but when.the concerns were brought to.someone in authority, not one thing was said, not even an apology.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 April 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding the nursing staff, hygiene and medication mix up within children’s and adolescent services at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am sorry that you found the staff to be rude to parents and also patients and that when you raised your concerns you were not provided with an apology. In order for us to pass on your comments to the relevant team, it would be really helpful if you could contact me to provide more details of the ward / department visited.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wrist injury

Attended due to fall (wet dance floor)

I cannot thank all the staff from receptionist, porter, nurses, radiographer, doctor for their care, concern and treatment of me and my injury

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the visit. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information about the care provided then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Nicola Gregory gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy Clinic

First of all I would like to say a massive thank you to the Doctor and Nurse and their team for their excellent care and compassion they showed me on one of my toughest days. I was nervous, scared and emotionally distressed.
The Doctor explained the LLetz procedure I was inevitably going to endure (in my mind) I had convinced myself that this was the case and they put my mind at total ease, answered my questions before even having the chance to ask them, I was able to be open and honest share my hopes fears and choices and they drew diagrams and explained everything to me in a way I could understand! During my procedure, I became emotional again, they stopped to let me catch my breath and the nurse along with my husband were calming and constantly reassuring me distracting me with humour. it worked a treat, the teams calm professional and caring manner is a credit to the NHS and my trust in what you all do on a daily basis remains intact. I am also forever grateful for the help my Mum also received 5 years ago and she lives to tell the tale.
From the bottom of my heart I thank you!
Nicola Gregory

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 24 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience at the Colposcopy clinic at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the experience. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Alison grim gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bower cancer screening programme

After having a awful experience with Burnley hospital in the past I was a bit dubious of going back. I had an appointment with the bowel cancer screeening program, I cannot praise the staff enough from going through everything to keeping me talking while I had the procedure, dignity totally intact. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this procedure. Brilliant staff

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your appointment with the bowel cancer screening programme at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about your appointment. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about the care provided then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Mrs Whitaker gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hysteroscopy Clinic - Great Service

Just wanted to say the 'One Stop Shop' clinic I attended in order to undergo an ultra sound scan, internal scan and subsequent hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy was a quick and effective service limiting the number of absences I would have had to have from work and giving me results on the same day alleviating any subsequent worry whilst waiting for results. Special mention to the two nurses conducting the scan who made me feel very comfortable as this was the first time I had undergone anything of this nature. Also a huge thank you to the hysteroscopy clinic especially Dr, Sister and Nurse who made what could have been an embarrassing, scary and unpleasant experience very comfortable. What lovely staff who encouraged and comforted me through the process and even had me giggling. Thank you

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to the Gynaecology Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about your visit. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Margaret gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent pre-operative (knee) education session

Today I attended an educational information session for those of us preparing for immanent knee replacement surgery. The whole rationale is to make patients clear about the op, what to expect, how best to prepare and how to take an active part in the recovery process. As such it helps to make you an active participant in your care and much less anxious about the op.

The 'school' complements an equally excellent and physically robust and well-produced spiral-bound booklet called 'Patient Guide for Knees', which can be read from front to back and absorbed in an hour or less, and then kept for reference as it has clear headings, a detailed contents section and very clear photographic illustrations, so you can access the particular info you need very quickly.

The session today was relaxed, friendly, knowledgable and very informative, inviting our participation and questions.There was also the opportunity to have more personal questions answered - those that wouldn't have much relevance to others present. Those running the session were well organised, welcoming, professional and good-humoured, starting on time but also welcoming late comers. The information was laid out (as a PowerPoint presentation) in a sequence that enabled you to absorb the information and discover the answers to most of the questions you have, with opportunities to ask the remainder, and listen to other people's questions and answers. They also invited the comments of participants who had useful first-hand accounts of experience of knee ops they'd already had. In addition there were several actual examples of replacement knee joints to examine at our leisure, as well as models and clear diagrams.

At the back of the booklet there is a list of useful telephone numbers which included a contact number for the person who had organised the session, in case extra questions arose. This feels like an invaluable safety net!

The session lasted around an hour and a half: there is no way that this info could be delivered anywhere nearly as fully to patients individually or on the morning of the op (when if previously unprepared we'd be likely to be too anxious to take it in anyway).

I think this is an example of extremely good practice, and as an individual I now feel better informed, cared for, personally involved in an active, not passive way, enabled to clarify more uncertainties if necessary and far more confident about the outcome of the op and how to manage my recovery.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 28 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 29 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your attendance at the Hip & Knee School at Burnley General Teaching Hospital in preparation for your forthcoming knee replacement surgery, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the session and also the patient information booklet. I am pleased to hear that you found both the session and the booklet helpful and informative and that they have made you feel more confident about your forthcoming operation. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff running the sessions who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about the session then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.