Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Very rude reception staff

being 6 weeks pregnant with severe nausea and mooting g for 2 days not being able to eat or drink was advised by midwife to attend urgent care centre as may be dehydrated and need admitting when checking in the reception was extremely rude when I explained my situation and told the receptionist that my midwife had told me to attend the receptionist actually laughed out loud and sarcastically replied "it's coz your pregnant" The receptionist made me feel stupid and like I was wasting people's time I was simply following the midwife said se to attend hospital I found the receptionist to be extremely unprofessional and rude there was no need for them to say anything let alone rude remarks!!!!! Cannot complain about the nurses very good care recieved just a rude abrupt receptionist who is clearly is wasted on that desk as they think they are more qualified than the actual nursing staff and can diagnose from the comfort of their desk!!!!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 23 May 2016

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital and for taking the time to do so. I am very sorry to hear of your experience and can assure you we do take all comments very seriously.

I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the team, however, if you would like us to investigate the matter further, please could you contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or email me on Melissa.almond@elht.nhs.uk to provide some further information.

Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Many thanks again for commenting.

Martin Y gave Haematology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceedingly satisfied

I have now been attending Ward 28 for venesection treatment on a weekly basis since October 2015, during all this time I have always been treated professionally in a speedy manner by all the staff, who have worked hard and successfully kept to appointment times.

Thank you very much to all the staff involved.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 26 May 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 May 2016

Dear Martin
Many thanks for your comments regarding the care received on Ward 28 at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am really pleased that you were always treated professionally and in a speedy manner, and that the staff worked hard to ensure appointments were kept to time. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such positive feedback.

Anonymous reviewed Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital

Was made to feel so comfortable

I cannot fault the service I received today from all of the staff in gynaecology 2 at Burnley hospital, especially from one member of staff who was so nice to me about everything, I was alone, and they made me feel so comfortable and like they were there with me through the whole experience. I cannot thank you enough, you are a lovely person and I would definitely recommend anybody to use your service, I came home today feeling at ease, thank you very much.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 04 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 April 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your experience in the Gynaecology 2 Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am really pleased to hear that you were made to feel comfortable and were supported through the whole experience and I am glad you went home feeling at ease. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team, who I am sure will be delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Angie Taylor gave Ophthalmology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great team

I had my second cataract operation yesterday what a great service. The team work so well together. Once again my vision has improved virtually straight away. Like anyone having an operation you are anxious the staff are great at reassuring you. Keep up the good work.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 15 April 2016

Dear Angie
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent cataract operation at Burnley General Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so a second time. I am so pleased that your second operation went well and that you received a great service. It is lovely to hear that the team work so well together and that your vision improved virtually straight away. I have forwarded your comments onto the team who I am sure will be delighted to hear that your experience with us was so positive.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Helen Ritchie) on 01254 734471 or email me on Helen.Ritchie@elht.nhs.uk

Helen Ritchie, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care in Urgent Care Unit

I attended the Urgent Care Unit on the 8th April 2016 with my husband when he damaged his thumb that morning. We arrived at about 8am and only one other person waiting in front of us. When we were called through by a physiotherapist they imeadiately said they thought that they knew what my husband had done to his thumb, after examination they confirmed that my husband had ruptured or snapped the tendon in his thumb. We waited quarter of an hour or so for paperwork to take down to X-ray and off we went. Unfortunately there had been a mix up over my husbands date of birth at reception in Urgent Care, so he now technically had two sets of notes, but the receptionist at X-ray went and sorted things out with patient records. We were soon back in the Urgent Care Unit and the Physio asked if my husband minded if a colleague looked at his injury as it was unusual and the colleague had not seen one before. So whilst we sat and waited for the Consultant to contact the Physio with their view of his injury the colleague came and examined my husband and was very greatful for his cooperation and was very interested. We were then told that the consultant wanted to see my husband in the fracture clinic at Blackburn at the next available appointment. We made the appointment with the receptionist and waited for a nurse to call my husband through to strap up his thumb. We were out of the unit by just after 10 am, and were very impressed by the staff and the facility. Well done all!
Our only gripe is the automatic door and the position of the red line you are supposed to stand behind at reception to give the person at the desk some privacy, as standing behind the line operates the automatic doors! They were permenantly opening and closing and the noise of their operation combined with the noises outside certainly contributed to the mix up over my husbands date of birth at the start of our visit. The paperwork required took longer than any of the treatment!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 20 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 22 April 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your attendance at the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital with your husband and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am so pleased you were impressed with the staff and the facility but sorry about the mixup with your husbands date of birth. Thank you for being so understanding. I note your comments regarding the automatic doors and the position of the red line. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team.

Emma Metcalf gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment in the Colposcopy Clinic

A big big thank you to the doctor and two members of staff who were fantastic when I had treatment for my abnormal cells on Wednesday. The service was 5*. They were friendly, compassionate, supportive, empathetic and reassuring. The process I had to go through was easy to understand, they kept my dignity at all times and made me feel at ease. The cup of tea was just what I needed after. Thank you all.
X??

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 22 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 25 April 2016

Dear Emma
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your experience of the Colposcopy clinic at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am so pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly, compassionate, supportive and reassuring and that the process was easy to understand. I am glad to hear you were put at ease and that you kept your dignity at all times. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who, I am sure will be delighted to receive such positive comments.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Helen Ritchie) on 01254 734471 or email me on Helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Visit to glaucoma sister

I attended to assist my wife on our third visit during the last 12 months. For the third time she was given an eye test very promptly. For the third time we then sat waiting whilst all those around us came and went. When she asked a nurse she was told that she was next on. No reason or apology was offered. After a further 30 minutes I spoke to the supervising sister who said that she would look into it. She returned very quickly to say that there had been an emergency but also, after the initial test, my wife's notes had gone astray. I explained that this was our third visit and the third time that these notes had "gone astray". My wife then went in to see the glaucoma sister who said that she should have had a field test first but the operator had now gone home. This was however not the case and a very swift test was done and since the place was now empty my wife had her 5 minute consultation. This is a complete repeat of all three visits. The unit is completely disorganised.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 27 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 April 2016

Thank you for your feedback regarding your wife’s visits to the Ophthalmology Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am very sorry to hear of the issues your wife has experienced when attending this department.

We take all comments seriously and I have forwarded them to the department to be brought to the attention of the staff. If you would like us to investigate the matter further, please could you contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or email me on Melissa.almond@elht.nhs.uk to provide some further information.

Many thanks again for commenting

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

CA 125 Blood test results

While I can't fault the personal care and attention given by the staff and consultants of this department - the same cannot be said for informing patients of any results of tests undertaken.
It has been more than four weeks since I attended an appointment in the Gynaecology department and I have yet to receive a letter giving any information concerning my results. Fair enough if I have nothing to be concerned about but I won't know that until I'm actually given any information - good or bad!!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 17 May 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 18 May 2016

Thank you for your feedback regarding your appointment in the Gynaecology Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. Whilst it is pleasing to hear that you were happy with the care and attention given by the staff, we are sorry that you have concerns about the length of time you have been waiting to receive your results.

Many thanks again for commenting.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology outpatients

Just want to say how amazing the staff were when I attended gynaecology outpatients for my colposcopy I was so nervous and anxious and they instantly could tell and filled me with comforting words.
The consultant treating me, the nurse and health care assistant were so professional and empathetic. They were so friendly to me and made me feel so comfortable In what can feel like an undignified situation.
thank you all so being so lovely to me when I was so nervous

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 04 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 05 April 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent attendance at the Gynaecology outpatients department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is lovely to receive such positive feedback and I am really pleased that you were made to feel comfortable and that the staff were professional and friendly. I have passed on your comments to the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such lovley comments.
Many thanks again for commenting and Best Wishes
Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Kerry widdowson gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy department

I would just like to say that the staff at the colposcopy department are a credit to the hospital.
I arrived very unsure of what was going to happen and what to expect despite being provided by well informed leaflets.

I had to have a LLETZ procedure which was explained thouroughly, I was fully supported by the staff who respected my dignity and also offered to hold my hand and was chatting constantly to me through the procedure.

I would just like to say thank you very much

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 05 April 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 April 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your experience in the Colposcopy Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is lovely to receive such positive feedback and I am really pleased that you were fully supported by the staff during your procedure. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such lovely comments.