Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

linda nunnick gave Surgery - Breast at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast clinic

I attended the breast clinic on 3.2.16. I can't praise it enough, i would strongly recommend its caring and expertise on all breast issue's including the mammograms and scan's and getting the results at the same time is amazing, it saves all the worry of waiting and fretting. It is a thoroughly well run department and should be highly commended. Praise indeed to all concerned. Thank you.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 05 February 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your visit to the Breast Clinic at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is lovely to receive such positive feedback and I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

We are really keen to hear further about your experience and what made it so positive for you so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. If you would like to share your story with us please contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or email me on Melissa.almond@elht.nhs.uk.

Laura gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynae Appointment

From start to finish I was made to feel relaxed and at ease.
In an uncomfortable situation the 2 staff members were lovely!!!
The doctor was really nice too.
Would definitely recommend this service to anyone who needs it.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 05 February 2016

Dear Laura
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your Gynae appointment at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is lovely to receive such positive feedback and I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to hear that your recent experience with us was so positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
We are really keen to hear further about your experience and what made it so positive for you so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. If you would like to share your story with us please contact me (Helen Ritchie) on 01254 734471 or email me on Helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.
Helen Ritchie, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Jackie Bruce gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I had to attend the urgen care unit to experiencing chest o

The whole staff team were amazing..... The NHS often has a rough deal from the press and general public... Well my experience was professional. Caring. And most importantly patients focused....:, thank you to all that assisted me and my family today.....

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 29 January 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 01 February 2016

Dear Jackie
Many thanks for your comments regarding the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am really pleased you found the team professional, caring and patient focused. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such positive feedback.

We are really keen to hear about your experience and what made it so positive for you so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. If you would like to share your story with us please contact me (Helen Ritchie) on 01254 734471 or email me on helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.

Thank you again for commenting and Best Wishes
Helen Ritchie
Senior Patient Experience Facilitator.

Jan Catlow gave General Surgery at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Trapeziectomy

I arrived in area 6 at 12 noon on 26th January , I was a long way from home on my own and more than a little worried about the surgery. From the moment I arrived all staff treated me with care and concideration checking and double checking all my details, my consultant explained the procedure to me and the anethatist listened to my concerns regarding general anasthetic and put my mind at ease so I'd like to say a big " thank you " to all the staff on duty that afternoon who made sure I was comfortable and well looked after especialy all staff on ward 24 where I was taken after theatre to recover.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 03 February 2016

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your admission to Burnley General Hospital for a trapeziectomy procedure and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is lovely to receive such positive feedback and I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynae Day Care

From arrival to leaving, every single member of staff was fantastic, despite working while the junior doctors were (quite rightly) on strike.

The unit was clean and tidy, staff were relaxed, friendly and professional throughout and made me feel very comfortable and calm.

If you are due to visit, and reading these reviews as I did before being admitted, you have nothing to fear. I would recommend this unit to any of my female friends or family.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 13 January 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you for your comments regarding Gynae Day Care at Burnley General Hospital and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are really pleased that you felt the staff were friendly and professional and that they made you feel comfortable and calm. Please be assured we will pass your comments onto the team who Im sure will be really pleased to receive such lovely feedback.

Many thanks again and Best Wishes

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

pharmacy

We went with my mother who is 91 years old to the xray department for a scan for a blood clot. we were then sent to a ward to see the doctor for result and were told she had a blood clot and she was prescribed medication for it. All had gone well so far we were told to wait in the ward till the pharmacy made up the prescription and she had to wait over 3 hours despite 3 phone calls to ask when it would be ready.
We feel it is totally unacceptable to keep a 91 year old waiting over 3 hours she got to upset it was really hard to keep her calm.

(my mothers name Beryl )

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Mothers experience of the X-Ray Department and Pharmacy at Burnley General Hopsital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am pleased that the care in the X-Ray Department and on the Ward went well, but I am sorry for your wait for a prescription in the Pharmacy Department. I will pass your comments on to the appropriate teams. So that we can investigate further, could you please contact me, Helen Ritchie on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email me at Helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.

If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Helen Ritchie, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Evelyn Buck gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I visited endoscopy on the 20 January 2016 I am 77 never been ill never been in hospital really scared and apprehensive what a brilliant experience I head a double procedure staff doctors nurses desk staff brilliant wonderfull friendly atmosphere friendly I felt I had made friends came out with positive results wonderful

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 25 January 2016

Many thanks for your lovely comments regarding the Endoscopy Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am really pleased you had such a brilliant experience and you found all the staff to be friendly. I will make sure your comments are shared with the team.

Many thanks and Best Wishes
Helen Ritchie
Senior Patient Experience Facilitator.

Liz Gallagher gave Dermatology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Experience Dermatology Department

I had Malignant Melanoma 9 years ago and all I knew was that it was "superficial stage 2" and that it was a delayed diagnoses as the first consultant had told me it was just an ageing mole.
18 months later that same mole was diagnosed stage 2.
Had it been a more aggressive type of MM, I could have died due to the first misdiagnoses.

With that in mind, any new mole or a mole that changes sends me into a state of anxiety as you can imagine. When a doctor dismisses a mole I present, it reminds me when my malignant mole was "dismissed" and I tend to be very wary of doctors who wave their hand in the air and tell me: "Its nothing to be worried about" .... Easy for them to say.

I recently had a Basel Cell Carcinoma removed from my upper back at Blackburn which I guess triggered the skin cancer anxiety again.

I ended up at the Burnley General following another mole dismissals at Blackburn.
This new scaly scabby mole on my back was itching too so I was quite worked up about it.

I had to make a fuss to get a two week urgent appointment and was referred to Burnley in lighting speed (After writing a letter about my concerns)

I cannot praise Burnley General Dermatology dept enough and especially the time and patience the Consultant showed me.
I felt immediately assured by their direct eye contact and the time they took in asking me about my mole and skin cancer history.
They had my records out and was going through them trying to make sense of it all.

They assured me 100% that the lesion on my back was not cancer but to give me peace of mind, they said I could have it shaved off that day and biopsied and that's exactly what happened.

Compared to my experience/s with Blackburn Dermatology over the years, the difference was light and day. It was like I was a private patient!

Sure enough, I received a letter explaining the lesion on my back was a benign and harmless Seborrheic keratosis which the Consultant had told me they were sure it was they examined it.

Further more, a cancer nurse came to speak to me after I had the lesion removed and explained in detail about the type of Malignant Melanoma I had removed years ago. I was never told much about it at the time.
They also provided me some literature about the specific MM lesion I had removed which explained how rare it was that it spread due to the fact it was superficial (surface spread mainly)

Thank you! If only all doctors could be as professional with the same "bed side manner" the NHS would be so much better as a result.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 22 January 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 25 January 2016

Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience of the Dermatology Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. I note that you have provided previous comments regarding your experience and that your recent appointment was made after contacting the Patient Experience Team.
The Dermatology Department provides the service across both Blackburn and Burnley sites and the first Consultant you saw no longer works for the Trust. I am so pleased to hear that your most recent experience was a positive one and that you felt the staff were professional and provided you with information regarding your condition. I have forwarded your feedback to the team who I am sure will be delighted to receive such positive comments.
We would be really interested in using your story to highlight what made this such a good exprerience for you so that we can provide this level of care for all patients who use our services. If you would be happy for us to do this please contact me Helen Ritchie on 01254 734471 or you can email me on helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks again for commenting and Best Wishes.

Barbara barker gave Urology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urology cystoscope treatment

Attended dept today .staff were fantastic put me at ease and the proceedier was very straight forward and not uncomfortable. Very pleased with treatment and friendliness by staff..

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 03 December 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 04 December 2015

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your treatment in the Urology Department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so. It is a pleasure to receive such lovely feedback about the care and treatment provided and I will make sure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to hear that your experience was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

We are really keen to hear about your experience and what made it so positive for you so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. If you would like to share your story with us please contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or email me on Melissa.almond@elht.nhs.uk

Melissa Almond, Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Anxious lady

I went to urgent care on 4.12.15 feeling anxious due to tightness in my chest along with other symptoms headache and clammy hands.I only went due to not being able to get appointment with my own doctors.
The first nurse I saw was very reassuring and helpful. They did all the relevant checks and really put me at ease that I wasn't wasting anyone's time. They told me I was better getting it checked out. The ECG was normal they said they would refer me to the GP who would probley do another ECG in 30 minutes and blood tests to make sure no underlying problem. The doctor was impatient and snappy and basically made feel like I was wasting their time.I feel like they kicked me off the ward. This doctor really needs to sort their bedside manner out. I understand it's a difficult job but no need for that kind of treatment. The first nurse is a credit to urgent care. Thank you

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 December 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 December 2015

Thank you for your feedback on your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital and thank-you for taking the time to do so. We are pleased you found the nurse reassuring and helpful but we are sorry for your experience with the doctor. Please be reassured we will pass on your comments, both positive and negative to the team. If you feel you would like to talk through your visit with one of our Patient Experience team, we are keen look at how we can improve our services for all patients visiting our hospitals.
To do this you can contact me (Helen Ritchie) on 01254 734471 or email me on Helen.ritchie@elht.nhs.uk.
Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Many thanks for your feedback and best wishes.

Helen Ritchie

Senior Patient experience facilitator.