Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Shambolic Department

I have just returned home after attending an appointment in the Respiratory Outpatient Department with my husband. What a dreadful experience and we hope we never have to go back to that department. After eventually finding a parking space which is another issue this hospital needs to address, we found ourselves a long way from the department. We followed the signs and ended up at a dead end and had to ask for directions. Someone really needs to look at the signage in this hospital as it is very unclear. We had to wait to ask the member of staff who was busy directing another patient to another department. We were then directed to the main outpatient department and waited in a queue only to be directed to another area and we were told by the receptionist to take a seat in the waiting room. We did this and waited as instructed. My husband had his appointment letter and various members of staff walked past us but no one acknowledged us or asked if we had an appointment. He had to stop a nurse and ask the nurse what he needed to do. The nurse made a joke about him stopping them working and shouted out in front of the other patients "oh no you are here for a lung function test!" The nurse took his letter and disappeared and didn't say another word and went back to their room. The nurse then went off down the corridor and came back with their cup of tea and returned to their room. Patients were left waiting whilst members of staff went into the room and chatted about their lottery money!! My husband had a 2.15 appointment. He suffers from Parkinson's Disease and is waiting for triple heart bypass surgery, hence this appointment. He also currently has a trapped nerve in his neck which causes him a great deal of pain and discomfort. He was made to wait 45 minutes before he was eventually called in by a nurse. Prior to this he went to the toilet and walked past a room where 5 members of staff were sitting chatting. I told the nurse that the wait had not helped his neck pain and the nurse merely asked if he had painkillers! Whilst we were there other patients arrived and no one knew what to do or if the staff knew they were waiting. During the test my husband said the staff were discussing other patients and blaming patients for not saying they had arrived. There is something clearly wrong with this system. Patients should not have to rely on catching someone who happens to to walk past. What kind of booking system is that. Whoever is in charge of this department needs to take a long hard look at the systems for booking patients in. Why can this not be done at the outpatient reception? We tried to use the booking machine but this would not accept my husband's details. On another issue why was my husband advised in his letter to take all of his medication with him when not one person asked for it!! He takes a lot of medication and had to take it all in a large bag. A complete waste of time. The lack of parking, poor signage and shambolic booking urgently needs to be addressed .

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices about your visit to the Respiratory Outpatient department.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience and will ensure that your feedback is brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Many thanks once again for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Walter Wilkinson gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Visit to Burnley General Pharmacy

The last time i visited my Consultant I was unfortunate to be given a prescription which could only be used at the hospital pharmacy. When i arrived the waiting room was full with many standing and an overflow into the corridor. One or two out patient were served and then no one was served for over an hour. Eventually one gentleman went to the counter and demanded his medication. He was given an address card and told that if he had a complaint he should write to the address on the card.He persisted however and then other out patients asked where their medications were, The person behind the counter realised that the out patients were getting angry. They went back into the pharmacy and the out patients started being served at a fast rate. My own medication arrived among the first batch but as I left the room was still very full. Many of them were there when I arrived. What did make of all this? I am convinced that the out patients were deliberately ignored, probably because they had already seen their doctor and when they received their medication they would leave the hospital without complaining to anyone. Probably those running the pharmacy knew that if medication to in-patients was not delivered quickly they would have complaints.I found the standard of out-patient service to be disgraceful. .My problem is that my prescription is for three month's tablets so that I will have to make two more 20 mile round trips, If I am there first thing in a morning when the out patient pharmacy opens will I stand a chance of being served quickly?

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 16 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices about your visit to the Pharmacy at Burnley General Hospital.

I am sorry to hear about your experience when you visited the Pharmacy and for the length of time you had to wait for your medication and will ensure that your feedback is brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Sanderson gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urgent care treatment

After going to the Urgent Care Centre last week in terrible pain the treatment was amazing nursing staff and consultant were extremely professional in their care and help. So thorough in my care and treatment. I was staying at my brothers in the area as I live in Salford. Best care and treatment ever. Well done Burnley Urgent Care Centre.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment you received and we are delighted to pass this on to the staff who will very much appreciate your comments as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Sheila Keightley gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Pharmacy

After having a new gel prescribed by Dermatology went to Pharmacy at 4.45 and at 5.25 was told it was not in stock and would need to be ordered we are now 26 hours later with no word from them.A suggestion would be to vet prescriptions on arrival and the computer system must know the stocking levels of drugs in stock and tell patients straight away and alleviate the overcrowding of the department.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 27 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 29 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices

I am extremely sorry to hear of the difficulties you have experienced and will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

jodie gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

eye test for my young child

I had taken my daughter for an eye test today after seeing the member of staff who dilated my daughters eyes we was sent to the waiting room 50 miniutes later we checked with staff to see how much longer it was till my daughter went in for her test. We then discovered the member of staff hadnt evan received my daughters notes and didnt know where they were finding them behind the desk we was sent through for the test. The member of staff who originally dilated my daughters eyes had actually forgotten to write anything up in my daughters notes delaying my daughters test further as they asked me twice if she had evan had her eyes dilated before getting in touch with the member of staff who dilated my daughters eyes. Lack of communication was shocking and to top it all off I hadnt evan received an appointment letter it was me who rang to chase the whole thing up 9 days before unaware that an appointment had been booked for weeks!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 03 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices about the Eye Clinic at Burnley General Hospital.

I am sorry to hear about your experience when you took your daughter for an eye test and will ensure that your feedback is brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

Anonymous reviewed Burnley General Hospital

Phone Call after Pre-op Visit of 08/09/17

I am very upset that I received a call today on my landline from the NHS and on trying to answer this found the person had already rung off not giving me chance to answer the call. The time was only a few seconds after. I was provided with a message saying that they will call again within the next 24 hours leaving me to wonder why the call was made in the first place. This causes me anxiety and upset for possibly 24 hours which is totally unnecessary. I cannot ring the number back!!!!!!!! The system used is not customer friendly at all abd should be reviewed to make it a better experience fro all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 September 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding a phone call you received after your Pre-Op visit and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team. However, if you would like us to look into this further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk
If you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or by emailing complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Pharmacy service far to slow

I went in for a appointment for my daughter at the eye clinic all was going well had to go to the pharmacy for a prescription staff said 25 minutes for the prescription to be ready it took over an hour for the prescription not happy had to wait that long just for a few eye drops NHS needs to improve the the service they provide especially for people or travel from far and wide

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 September 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to Pharmacy services at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Pharmacy Department.
If you would like us to look into the matter in further detail please can you contact the Patient Experience Team either by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or you can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471.
If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk
Many thanks again for commenting.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent gynaecology dept

I was given an urgent appointment and all the staff , especially the consultant , were really kind and efficient. Restored my faith in the hospital after two bad experiences in urgent care. The gynaecology staff were understanding, considerate and organised a speedy operation and scan. Please pass on my appreciation.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 14 September 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Gynaecology Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital for an urgent appointment, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment provided by the staff and I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive your feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Anne B gave Ophthalmology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care.

I was referred to the emergency eye clinic at Burnley last Tuesday. I was telephoned within an hour of referral with an appointment for the following day. When I arrived, I was struck by how calm the ward was and how caring and friendly the staff were. Obviously, it is a very worrying time when you are sent as an emergency! I saw a wonderful consultant, who put me at ease immediately. They were able to tell me very quickly what my problem is and to begin treatment immediately. I left the ward after two hours, feeling very much better.

My follow-up appointment was scheduled for Thursday and again, I was treated extremely well and did not have to wait to be seen beyond my appointment time.

I cannot thank you all enough for your kindness and care.

Anne B

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 18 September 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Emergency Eye Clinic at Burnley General Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Smartbird reviewed Burnley General Hospital

I want a second opinion. I feel like they don't care

I've been diagnosed with lupus and it is under control. I feel that my rheumatologist is dismissing me now. I write everything down what I experience month to month and when I go to see them they just say your lupus s under control. They let slip right at the end that my kidneys and liver were damaged then they said see you in 6 months. I want a second opinion. I feel like they don't care

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices.
I am extremely sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced at your Rheumatology review at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and are wanting a second opinion.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk