Burnley General Hospital

Telephone: 01282 425071
Address: Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue, Burnley, BB10 2PQ
Website: http://www.elht.nhs.uk

Cgb28 gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fast, efficient treatment for broken foot

Arriving on Saturday 8th Nov unable to walk I was greeted by a friendly security guard who immediately got me a wheel chair so my husband could push me inside.

When inside the lady on reception was also friendly and very efficient.

Sitting in the waiting room for less than an hour was comfortable and there was a big tv to keep us entertained. The first nurse quickly assessed me and gave me paracetamol which helped with the pain.

From then I was dealt with by a very efficient nurse practitioner who was kind and thorough. I was quickly sent to x-Ray, where I didn't have to queue and back to the nurse who bandaged my broken foot, made sure I was comfortable using crutches and organised a prescription of cocodamol for me and a trip to the plaster unit on Monday.

Although it was a shame I couldn't be plastered there and then I have managed fine with the bandaged foot and the helpful leaflets given to me. Having not been to an a&e since a child, I couldn't be happier with the care and treatment I received. Brilliant all round.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 10 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 10 November 2014

Dear Cgb28
Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks for commenting and best wishes for a speedy recovery
Wendy Stobbs, Patient Experience Facilitator

Ashleigh trickett gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I was admitted to the hospital 4th November early morning, i had caught an infection so had 6 lots of antibiotics and was monitored thought the day/night, I was told what was happening, why it was happening, I was constantly reassured, I had a lot of support from the all of the midwifesthat took care of me that day, I was first on the antenatal unit but with increased temperature and pulse I was taken into the birth suite with more one to one care, I have recently been put back on antenatal ward, I've never had long hospital stays so I was worried but with the experience I have had, I have felt safe, reassured and would just like to thank everyone that has taken care of me, hopefully I should be home later on today or tomorrow, but I just can't thank you all enough.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 05 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 November 2014

Dear Ashley
Many thanks for your comment about your stay on our maternity unit- the antenatal unit and the birth suite- I will make sure they are passed on to the teams concerned who I will be really pleased to hear them. I know you've visited our Early Pregnancy Unit previously so I'm really pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience of care this time with us at what I am sure has been a worrying time for you and your partner. I also hope that your discharge home took place in the last few days and that you're back at home resting?

Many thanks again and best wishes on your recovery
Wendy Stobbs, Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Student midwife

If just like to say a massive thank you to a UCLAN student midwife who looked after me and my little one, she let me and my partner know everything that was going on, asked if I had any questions, so pleasant, polite and made me feel very comfortable, she has set the bar very high for a new generation of midwives, such a pleasure to have met

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 November 2014

Dear Anonymous
Congratulations on your new arrival! And many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our maternity services at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and I am hopeful that they can work out who the UCLAN student is so that she can be thanked in person. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every mum-to-be visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk
Many thanks again, and hope you're getting some sleep

Mike gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip Replacement, November '14

Just a note to say that the service we got in Ward 15 was excellent. I'm pretty certain that my view is the same as the other 3 blokes in the room (10). Because no-one was allowed to have a problem there was a great deal of cheerful banter even though all the ops were painful (3 knees, one with the whole leg being reset, along with my own hip). It was stressed that day or night we should call if we needed anything including more painkillers.

Food was good and there was enough of it along with cups of tea etc. My menu got lost twice but it wasn't a problem to give me what I wanted.

The build up to the operation wasn't in anyway stressful, quite the opposite in fact, and all went as it should.

Without going on, I wouldn't have any 2nd thoughts to recommending Orthopaedics in Burnley to anyone. Only other thing that could be done for me is provide a map for patients attending - it isn't the easiest hospital to arrive at in the most appropriate place and then find your way around.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 17 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 24 November 2014

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our orthopaedic service, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I have made sure your appreciation is passed onto the team. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Penny gave Ophthalmology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I would like to say thank you to a member of staff for dealing with a query I had re a cancelled appointment. By the time I got to speak to her, I had gone through five other departments with no joy - I was either invited to leave a voicemail or invited to speak to another department or someone would ring me - which did not happen. . However, it was different with this member of staff because although it was not an area she dealt with directly she was prepared to see what she could find out and she did what she said she would do and got back to me with a resolution to my query. Thank you so much.

Subsequent to this I attended for an appointment at the eye department on 14th November and saw the doctor. The diagnosis was not what I was expecting but the doctor went to lengths to explain why it was and went over things again when at first I did not grasp what she was saying. She was patience itself and I could not have been treated better by the doctor or the nurse who accompanied her Many thanks to all

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 17 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 24 November 2014

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our services, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your comments are passed onto the team. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was mainly positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a positive experience for you, we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Meg Davey) on 01254 733698 or email me on margaret.davey@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Pharmacy Services

What I liked

After a long wait in the children's clinic with my 8 month old grandson we had to go to the pharmacy for a prescription - on taking the ticket we was told we had about a 20 minute wait so promptly went to the restaurant for a drink but on our return the item was still not ready - We had been at the hospital before 10am for a 10-15 appointment and at 12-15 we was still waiting , while I don't want to appear rude and not want to wait I feel with a young baby it's no fun as the baby had gone through enough having seen a doctor and was getting rather restless at this stage . We are now in 2014 so don't really think patients should be facing long delays in the pharmacy or is it that they are understaffed ?

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 21 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 24 November 2014

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our services, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your concerns are passed onto the team. I am very sorry to hear that your recent experience with us wasn't what you expected as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a poor visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve things for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Meg Davey) on 01254 733698 or email me on Margaret.davey@elht.nhs.uk.

If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

my son at urgent care

What I liked

I took my child to urgent care on Thursday morning as he had an accident with his foot at school I saw the nurse then left over an hour to see a doctor when I saw the doctor I was given a letter to go to x-ray where I was seen straight away and I returned back and gave the letter back and was sent back to waiting room where I waited 25 minutes for results then was told my son needed a cast where I also had to wait 15 minutes. I was not given any information on my sons bone problem and also was told to make an appointment at fracture clinic asap. I was not given any aids to help my child get round .I made an appointment only to have it cancelled 25 hours later and given another appointment in blackburn days after my other appointment . so I am now left with a child I have to carry around and a week off school

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 24 November 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our UCC service, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your concerns are passed onto the team. I am very sorry to hear that your recent experience with us wasn't what you expected as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a poor for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve things for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Meg Davey) on 01254 733698 or email me on margaret.davey@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

full marks Urgent Care Unit

Very helpful and friendly staff. The unit is very, very clean and bright. I was very satisfied with the treatment I received and was given all the information about my problem and what was going to happen next.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 October 2014

Dear Anonymous
Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital service, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like thisfor every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks again for taking the time to comment

Barry gave Urology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urology investigation unit Burnley Hospital

Many thanks to the staff at the unit at for their care the shown though out my treatment, Was treated with greatest of respect and thoughtfulness.

Wonderful staff

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 October 2014

Dear Barry
Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urology service at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks again for taking the time to comment and best wishes on your recovery

Robert gave Urology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Out Patient - Urology Investigations Unit

As an out patient witha sensitive male problem I was refered to unit by my GP.
On my first visit I was seen by a Clinical Nurse Specialist .
She was so professional, she set me at ease during the interview and following examination. On my second visit today, she saw me again where I was given tuition on helping to solve my problem, once she put me at ease with her professionalism.
The CNS is a credit to her profession and the hospital. Well done the NHS in having staff of this calibre at BGH.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

Burnley General Hospital replied on 23 October 2014

Dear Robert
Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urology Outpatients service, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and will try to locate the lady you mention in such glowing terms and pass on your thanks. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a poor/good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve things/ make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks again