Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Anonymous gave Pharmacy services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unacceptable delays at Pharmacy

I visited the hospital for a pre-op assessment in ophthalmology. There I was treated very well and felt well looked after. I was prescribed some additional eye drops. It took almost an hour for them to be dispensed and at the time the pharmacy didn't seem that busy.

There was no communication to the service users as to the reason for the delay and many of us spoke to the person behind the desk to ask when we would receive our prescription, but they were unable to say - in fact they seemed to be placed in an impossible position.

What made matters even worse was the fact that while I was prescribed 28 days of eye drops the pharmacy only had 20 days in stock - so I have to go back again, and presumably face more delays!

It's a pity that prescriptions cannot be taken off site for dispensing elsewhere.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding waiting times at the Pharmacy at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced unacceptable delays and dispensing problems. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team. However, if you would like us to look into this further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk
If you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or by emailing complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Pauline gave Vascular surgery at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Varicose vein treatment

I attended Burnley hospital this weekas as a day patient for treatment of my varicose veins. The treatment I received was excellent, the staff wonderful, I found the department clean and welcoming, and would recommend it to any one needing this treatment .

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 10 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience of vascular surgery at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the visit for treatment of your varicose veins. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information about the care provided then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care - spoiled by pharmacy delay

My 87 year old mother, as a precaution, was kept in overnight following a small gynaecological operation. The care was outstanding from all concerned. However, this has been somewhat spoilt by the fact that, as instructed, I phoned today at 9.30 (Saturday 11/3) to be informed that she would have to wait, probably all day whilst her prescription arrived from Blackburn!
Nevertheless we collected her that morning, thanking the staff, who again confirmed they had no idea what time pharmacy would arrive.
As I write from our Darwen home, I am now awaiting a call from them, possibly later today, and we will have to return to Burnley to collect.
Added to this is the annoyance of opening a letter addressed to Mum today from the consultant's secretary, instructing her to pick up the same prescription prior to her operation!
Surely, in this day and age of both emails, faxes and 'phones et cetera, this farcical situation could have been avoided.
Apart from this rant, nevertheless I would like to put on record my sincere thanks for the excellent care she received. I hope, by spelling out what's just happened, this kind of bed-blocking and red tape can be avoided.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your mothers experience following a small gynaecological operation at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care experience your mother received, however I am sorry your experience was spoiled by delay within Pharmacy services . I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wrist injury

Attended due to fall (wet dance floor)

I cannot thank all the staff from receptionist, porter, nurses, radiographer, doctor for their care, concern and treatment of me and my injury

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the visit. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Nicola Gregory gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy Clinic

First of all I would like to say a massive thank you to the Doctor and Nurse and their team for their excellent care and compassion they showed me on one of my toughest days. I was nervous, scared and emotionally distressed.
The Doctor explained the LLetz procedure I was inevitably going to endure (in my mind) I had convinced myself that this was the case and they put my mind at total ease, answered my questions before even having the chance to ask them, I was able to be open and honest share my hopes fears and choices and they drew diagrams and explained everything to me in a way I could understand! During my procedure, I became emotional again, they stopped to let me catch my breath and the nurse along with my husband were calming and constantly reassuring me distracting me with humour. it worked a treat, the teams calm professional and caring manner is a credit to the NHS and my trust in what you all do on a daily basis remains intact. I am also forever grateful for the help my Mum also received 5 years ago and she lives to tell the tale.
From the bottom of my heart I thank you!
Nicola Gregory

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Alison grim gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bower cancer screening programme

After having a awful experience with Burnley hospital in the past I was a bit dubious of going back. I had an appointment with the bowel cancer screeening program, I cannot praise the staff enough from going through everything to keeping me talking while I had the procedure, dignity totally intact. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this procedure. Brilliant staff

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Salma Khan gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional Service

I stayed at the Burnley birth suite in Feb, the support and 121 conversations I received from the staff was phenomenal. My midwife was really professional and made me feel so comfortable throughout my birth journey. Birth was my biggest fear but my midwife really made me feel like everything will be ok, I couldn't have done it without them. My midwife had such a bubbly and warm personality and I'd never guess they were in the profession for 6 months.

We spoke briefly about our personal life which was nice and after that the gas and air took the best of me. Your doing an excellent job, it was evident that this is not just a job for you but a passion to bring new lives into the world. You went beyond what a midwife would do. Thank you for everything.

The staff in the antenatal department were really wonderful and helpful, they were really proactive and ready to help all the time and were really amazing, made sure I was ok, asked if needed anything and how they could help me. This is the best service I have seen and received where staff go way beyond they job role to help meet the needs of the patients . Keep up the good work guys! You made a wonderful team.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 17 March 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience of using the Birth Suite at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the staff and the care you received. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Melissa Almond
Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

absolutely rediculs

my partner had a operation on her leg at 4 pm came home and after a few hours her leg started to bleed so I rung 111 and they sent an ambulance that took us to Burnley urgent care we sat in a cubicle for approximately 4 hrs while the nurses and doctors had a good chin wag about their holidays and than watched YouTube about the news report about Blackburn hospital and my partner was uncomfortable and not offered any pain killers I had to go and ask for some not very happy about it at 2.30 am when I have to go to work in the morning

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 08 February 2017

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Your comments have been shared with the team. If you would like us to look into the matter further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk
If you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations Team on 01254 733700 or by emailing complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

K. B. reviewed Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital

If we think that its not an emergency and calpol will help w

Went to emergeny last night with my 2 years old. Waiting time was ok, becouse we ring 111 before. So gp call us in just about 10 mins... but thr where the good ends. My little girt was having 40°+ tempreature, sore troath, bad cough, couldnt eat, blood in vomits, rash from high tempreature... doctor check her chest and troath and advise to continue giving calpol with nurofen (whitch i was giving for 3rd day and she was getting worst and worst) when i ask for antibiotics they said no its viral and write me cough sirup instead. The doctor seems more intresting about me then do their job properly. When we get out i told everything to my husband and he discourse dougters symptoms with pharmacist and advise to ring them back and get antibiotics!! So we did that. But tha person on phone was sooo rude. But realy rude. And at the end they put the phone down.
So we get true night and went to our gp in morning. They check her properly her ears troat chest tepreature and said that she definitly needs antibiotics!!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 10 February 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience in the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Maureen A gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The staff on Endoscopy Unit could not have been better.

I was very nervous before the endoscopy even though I have had the procedure before.
But the Receptionist, Nurses and Doctor were so pleasant that they made the experience much better for me.
I did not have sedation and I am pleased to say that I coped very well with everything.
Thank you to all the staff in the unit. You are doing a wonderful job.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to Diagnostic Endoscopy at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such wonderful feedback about the visit and that the experience was much better due to the staff being so pleasant. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.