Burnley General Hospital

Telephone: 01282 425071
Address: Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue, Burnley, BB10 2PQ
Website: http://www.elht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wow! Amazing staff

my daughter needed to attend the day surgery unit. As she had turned 16 she was initially sent to the adult day care unit. Because she was so nervous, she wanted me to be with her so the nurse who first saw us said they would see if she could be admitted to the children's ward so i could stay. She was transferred to ward 27 where the staff were amazing. Even though Chloe was 16 they fully explained everything that would be happening. This put her mind at ease. Although it was a very long wait for her to go to theatre (five hours) the staff were fantastic and i can not fault them in any way. Please pass on mine and Chloe's thanks.....especially for the bravery certificate!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 March 2015

Dear Anonymous & Chloe

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Children's Day Case Unit at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto all of the teams you mentioned who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. It is lovely to hear that your daughter had a positive experience of care despite her nerves about the operation and I do hope she has recovered well from her surgery.

If you would like to talk through yours and Chloe's visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you both we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every young patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Or if you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to Chloe on her continued recovery
Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visiting Family from Germany

My daughter and I popped over from Germany for the weekend, however, my daughter had a terrible eye infection (ulcer) this was treated in the eye department on the Friday night, the Dr saw us although they had officially finished work for the day. The service from the front desk, to the nurse, to the first dr, who then got us to see the eye specialist was out of this world excellent.... Thank you to all those who helped us, the friendliness was amazing, it was so comforting to know that we were in safe hands. I even talked to the security officer at the door, who, also was very friendly.
From my daughter and me, we thank you so very very much, her eye is much better and she is on the mend.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital and the eye ward that ended up seeing you on the Friday night, and thank-you for taking the time to email your thoughts on their care for your daughter. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. I do hope your daughter's eye is healing well.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to your daughter on her continued recovery
Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Out of hours gp. Total lack of care for my 10 year old son

I took my 10 year old son to the out of hours gp within the urgent care centre at Burnley with severe stomach pain and vomiting.
After a very brief examination the dr said it was possibly appendicitis and advised we were admitted to the children's observations unit at a different hospital. We were told to return to the waiting area and an ambulance would come to take him.

We sat in the waiting room for five hours for the ambulance to come. During which time not a single person came to check he was ok etc. He was sat on a hard chair without any pain killers crying until he eventually fell asleep at around 3am. During this time I had to go to the reception and ask if they had any idea how long we were to wait. A very helpful member of staff phoned the ambulance service and kept doing so on a few occasions while we waited. Eventually when the paramedics turned up it became clear that the reason we were left without any help for 5 long hours was the fault of the gp who had failed to tell a single person that we were there, and in fact when the ambulance turned up the nurses had no idea who it was for as they had not been told.

We finally arrived at the hospital the staff were under the impression that we had decided not to come since it had been so long since he was referred!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Attended Main xray department

I attended the main X-ray department on 26th March 2015 for a routine X-ray after being referred by my GP. I was seen very quickly and in total was only there about 15 minute. The only thing I can complain about is that there were no gowns available at all. I can't believe in this day and age that there wasn't one gown in the whole X-ray department!!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Brian Neal gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Partial knee replacement February 2015

I have been meaning to write a short review following my 4 night stay on ward 15 following surgery for a partial knee replacement in February of this year

The surgical and nursing care I received was beyond excellent including all ancillary and support staff ( cleaners etc etc) I was under the care of the surgeon and cannot speak to highly of them.

Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff night and day and I would say was as good as any thing you would expect going privately. Food of a good standard and varied.

I felt like I was being treated like I would be if being looked after by my own family and there is no higher compliment than that

Also helped by my co patients some good laughs and constantly supporting each other

Sadly the front line staff are sometimes let down by the faceless admin people it took 24 yes 24 hours from being discharged to receiving my medication from Blackburn and I understand that this is not unusual. The nursing staff are bring let down by these people

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 25 March 2015

Dear Mr Neal

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our surgical Ward 15 at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and other members of staff that you mention who will all be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
I'm sorry to hear that you had some delay with your medication and I have passed this onto the pharmacy lead; we are aware that this can sometimes delay discharge and are working hard to address this for all patients on all sites.

Jane Collins. gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

fantastic

Went in for operation on foot/ankle weds 11th Feb 2015. Cannot fault anything, lovely clean ward, lovely friendly, very respectful, professional nurses. Couldn't do enough for myself or the other patients in the bay I was in.(all female) although mixed ward, bays are not mixed ha my operation in afternoon, then back to ward for cup of tea and sandwich. All nurses were very attentive, and doctors I saw made me feel very involved in any decisions about my treatment. Had spinal anaesthetic instead of general anaesthetic, fantastic. No after effects no raging thirst, nausea. Just felt same after o as I did before it, obviously a bit sore at sight of oincisions but nurses there immediately with pain relief.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

Dear Ms Collins

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our orthopaedic ward at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team- which I am guessing is Ward 15 as this is the elective ward for orthopaedics. I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Mrs M Taylor gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Burnley Gynae Day Surgery

From visiting my GP to visiting the Hysteroscopy Clinic for assessment to going to the Gynae Day Surgery I received nothing but kindness and consideration from all concerned. I attended the Clinic and was treated with respect and care. The doctors, Anaesthetist, nurses and receptionists were friendly and cheerful. They did their best to reassure me. a nervous pensioner. The nurses never stopped rushing round looking after their patients, filling endless forms and caring for everyone. All this with financial cuts and many changes is remarkable. My grateful thanks to all concerned.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 08 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 11 February 2015

Dear Mrs Taylor

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Gynaecology Day Surgery service at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Caroline Palmer gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

So pleased that I opted to have my hip replaced at Burnley

I have nothing but praise for the Consultnat & the whole team who helped care for me. He was thoroughly caring & understanding of my circumstances, & willing to wait to operate until there was a convenient window of opportunity for me to go ahead & undergo surgery. He was patient, & took care to ensure that I understood the procedure, & the benefits & possible complications that might occur, & is a good communicator & listener. The anaesthetist was also excellent at explaining the benefits of spinal anaesthesia, & persuaded me through logic to accept it instead of undergoing a general anaesthetic, & I suspect I recovered much faster from the surgery as a result. All the nurses in each department as well as on Ward 15 were approachable, friendly, & encouraging. They were quickly responsive to my needs at all times, be it administering further pain relief, or overseeing trips to the bathroom, or just reassuring me of the normality of my feelings. The ward was kept spotlessly clean, & the housekeeping staff were friendly & approachable. The OT worked throughout the whole process to ensure that I had all necessary aids & gadgets to enable me to be as independent as possible, & with the physio who was also very encouraging & reassuring, helped me achieve a rapid recovery, so I was discharged on my 2nd post-operative day. I would reassure anyone needing a total hip replacement that they would receive exceptionally good care under the Consultant's & Ward 15's care, & recommend the experience.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 February 2015

Dear Ms Palmer

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on your experience of our orthopaedic service at Burnley General Hospital on ward 15, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pleasant medical staff - shame about the receptionist

My wife had to take our adult autistic daughter to Burnley Urgent Care centre this afternoon after she fell down the stairs. As part of her condition she has very specific needs. My wife was reluctant to shout the details of these to the receptionist through the perspex shield, so she wrote them on paper and asked if they could be passed to the relevant medical staff so they could be forewarned. The receptionist refused to do this, telling my wife she should mention it herself when our daughter was seen. She found her attitude dismissive and unhelpful. We would hope that in this day and age hospital staff would be aware of how to deal with patients with special needs so they can be afforded a little dignity and avoid unnecessary distress. I am pleased to report that the approach of the medical staff was unfailingly friendly, sensitive and helpful.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 February 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team about the nursing and clinical care that you received; however I am sorry to hear about the experience that your wife had with one of our receptionists and can only apologise that this happened. I have contacted both managers- for the nursing staff in UCC and also the reception staff- and it would be very useful for us if you can identify exactly when your wife and daughter visited the UCC so that we can identify the member of staff and make sure that this does not happen again to anyone. We do have training that all of our staff are required to attend relating to ensuring that every one of our patients is dealt with in a sensitive, caring and appropriate way; and the manager for the reception staff would appreciate knowing if this needs refreshing with any specific individuals.

Please could you get in contact with me on the details below so that we can address this?

Also if you/ your wife would like to talk through the visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this both a good and, in elements, poor visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve our care for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to your wife and daughter

Sue Flitton gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I cannot praise the Unit enough.

I had an operation on 2nd February. I was admitted onto the Gynae Day Case Unit then spent 4 days on the Ward.From the moment that I was admitted to the moment I was discharged I received the most fantastic care.
I cannot praise all the staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble, they were all so kind.
My Consultant/Surgeon is truly a very kind and experienced man whom again I can't praise enough. I have a very high opinion of this gentleman. I have a follow up appointment with him in May and I have another issue which he is going to address for me.
I have every faith in him and his staff.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 February 2015

Dear Ms Flitton

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Gynae Day Case Unit and ward at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the teams concerned who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.