Burnley General Hospital

Telephone: 01282 425071
Address: Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue, Burnley, BB10 2PQ
Website: http://www.elht.nhs.uk

Caroline Palmer gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

So pleased that I opted to have my hip replaced at Burnley

I have nothing but praise for the Consultnat & the whole team who helped care for me. He was thoroughly caring & understanding of my circumstances, & willing to wait to operate until there was a convenient window of opportunity for me to go ahead & undergo surgery. He was patient, & took care to ensure that I understood the procedure, & the benefits & possible complications that might occur, & is a good communicator & listener. The anaesthetist was also excellent at explaining the benefits of spinal anaesthesia, & persuaded me through logic to accept it instead of undergoing a general anaesthetic, & I suspect I recovered much faster from the surgery as a result. All the nurses in each department as well as on Ward 15 were approachable, friendly, & encouraging. They were quickly responsive to my needs at all times, be it administering further pain relief, or overseeing trips to the bathroom, or just reassuring me of the normality of my feelings. The ward was kept spotlessly clean, & the housekeeping staff were friendly & approachable. The OT worked throughout the whole process to ensure that I had all necessary aids & gadgets to enable me to be as independent as possible, & with the physio who was also very encouraging & reassuring, helped me achieve a rapid recovery, so I was discharged on my 2nd post-operative day. I would reassure anyone needing a total hip replacement that they would receive exceptionally good care under the Consultant's & Ward 15's care, & recommend the experience.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 February 2015

Dear Ms Palmer

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on your experience of our orthopaedic service at Burnley General Hospital on ward 15, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Or if you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pleasant medical staff - shame about the receptionist

My wife had to take our adult autistic daughter to Burnley Urgent Care centre this afternoon after she fell down the stairs. As part of her condition she has very specific needs. My wife was reluctant to shout the details of these to the receptionist through the perspex shield, so she wrote them on paper and asked if they could be passed to the relevant medical staff so they could be forewarned. The receptionist refused to do this, telling my wife she should mention it herself when our daughter was seen. She found her attitude dismissive and unhelpful. We would hope that in this day and age hospital staff would be aware of how to deal with patients with special needs so they can be afforded a little dignity and avoid unnecessary distress. I am pleased to report that the approach of the medical staff was unfailingly friendly, sensitive and helpful.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 February 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team about the nursing and clinical care that you received; however I am sorry to hear about the experience that your wife had with one of our receptionists and can only apologise that this happened. I have contacted both managers- for the nursing staff in UCC and also the reception staff- and it would be very useful for us if you can identify exactly when your wife and daughter visited the UCC so that we can identify the member of staff and make sure that this does not happen again to anyone. We do have training that all of our staff are required to attend relating to ensuring that every one of our patients is dealt with in a sensitive, caring and appropriate way; and the manager for the reception staff would appreciate knowing if this needs refreshing with any specific individuals.

Please could you get in contact with me on the details below so that we can address this?

Also if you/ your wife would like to talk through the visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this both a good and, in elements, poor visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve our care for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to your wife and daughter

Sue Flitton gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I cannot praise the Unit enough.

I had an operation on 2nd February. I was admitted onto the Gynae Day Case Unit then spent 4 days on the Ward.From the moment that I was admitted to the moment I was discharged I received the most fantastic care.
I cannot praise all the staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble, they were all so kind.
My Consultant/Surgeon is truly a very kind and experienced man whom again I can't praise enough. I have a very high opinion of this gentleman. I have a follow up appointment with him in May and I have another issue which he is going to address for me.
I have every faith in him and his staff.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 February 2015

Dear Ms Flitton

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Gynae Day Case Unit and ward at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the teams concerned who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Anonymous gave Urology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

customer service woeful

the service in the outpatients general area was appalling, no help at all, especially from the man on the first desk you have to encounter when walking through the doors, if he doesn't want to be there give the job to someone more deserving of it.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 26 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 February 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Outpatients Department at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I have passed your comments onto the reception manager for the department and I am sorry to hear that your recent experience with us wasn't what you expected as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a poor visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to improve things for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes

Mrs M Taylor gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Burnley Gynae Day Surgery

From visiting my GP to visiting the Hysteroscopy Clinic for assessment to going to the Gynae Day Surgery I received nothing but kindness and consideration from all concerned. I attended the Clinic and was treated with respect and care. The doctors, Anaesthetist, nurses and receptionists were friendly and cheerful. They did their best to reassure me. a nervous pensioner. The nurses never stopped rushing round looking after their patients, filling endless forms and caring for everyone. All this with financial cuts and many changes is remarkable. My grateful thanks to all concerned.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 08 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 11 February 2015

Dear Mrs Taylor

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Gynaecology Day Surgery service at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Emma Luvesey gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent care

I went into this hospital on January 16th for a Hysterectomy,on arrival I was a little nervous about having the op.I Was reassured and put at ease from the start.In total I was on the Gynaecology ward for 5 days following my operation, for the whole time I was there I was looked after so well, every single nurse or Doctor that looked after me did so to the highest level, all the staff were lovely and made you feel welcome from the cleaners to the HCA to the nurses.They all did so much more than I would of expected and i wouldn't of got better care if I would of gone private!massive thanks to everyone.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 11 February 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 12 February 2015

Dear Emma

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Gynae service at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. Your comments about all staff being welcoming and caring is lovely to hear.
Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

urgent care

I can only offer praise and gratitude for the nursing staff and reception staff. My experience was made easier by their approachability and obvious care they all have in their work and interaction with mymbers of the public.
thankyou

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 07 January 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 16 January 2015

Dear Anonymous

First of all apologies for the slow response to your comment, NHS Choices have only just made me aware that you had done so. Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation and kind words are passed onto the team, who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Many thanks again for taking the time to comment

Excellent.

Brought my son in to Urgent Care on the evening of 28 January 2015. The receptionist was polite and friendly and advised us to sit in the waiting room which was very clean. After a brief wait, we saw the Triage nurse who was professional and efficient. We then waited to see the Doctor. We waited for about an hour but this was fine for us. We was seen by a lady (not sure if a Doctor or Nurse) but she was fantastic either way. She put my young son at ease by making an extra effort with him to make him laugh. This was appreciated.
I don't usually leave reviews but wanted to give credit where credit is due.
Thanks
From a happy mum.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 28 January 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 28 January 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who I am sure will be very pleased to hear that you and your son's recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
Many thanks again for taking the time to comment, I do hope your son is recovering well
Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

In and out in around 1 hour with a suspected fracture, probably the best A&E...

In and out in around 1 hour with a suspected fracture, probably the best A&E experience I've had. Everyone was courteous and decent to deal with and the whole experience was slick and efficient. Many thanks to the team at Burnley General!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 20 January 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 28 January 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your 'best ever' experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Many thanks again and hope you're recovering well

Jo Thompson gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

Received excellent care at the hospitals EPAU department, I had to attend a few times due to symptoms associated with pregnancy and I felt reassured each time I had to go. All the nurses were lovely, very caring and I felt that my worries were listened to. I would like to thank the nursing staff who are very professional and knowledgable. Thank you so much ladies.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 05 January 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 January 2015

Dear Jo
Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Early Pregnancy Unit at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and midwives concerned and I am very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk
Many thanks and best wishes for your pregnancy
Wendy Stobbs, Patient Experience Facilitator