Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

5hours wait into 10hours stabbed in head from armed robbery

Basically my father was working in his shop when armed robber tried to rob him, he defended himself anyway he could but he ended up getting knifed to his head, father not realising he got knifed to his head. Armed robber fled, police came asap and ambulance. Taken father burnley urgent care about 10pm and waited for 9hours to see a doctor about his head injury, patients kept on coming after my father and seen less than hour and sent home...only been told 7hours later only 1 doctor is working tonight... and once my father was seen by a doctor was told it will heal by itself... so me and my father and my 6months pregnant wife was waiting 9 long hours just to be told this...the nurse could of told this in the beginning...instead we wasted our time just to be told this...absolutely waste of time...disgraceful...my father hadn't eaten all day and very tired from working in his shop. Providing public service and this is what he gets in return...just got home 7.30am

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 03 January 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am very sorry you have concerns about the length of time your father experienced waiting to be seen by a doctor. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the team.

If you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or by emailing complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Geraldine Platt gave Dermatology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

New Out Patient appointment

I attended Dermatology Outpatient Dept Phase V Burnley General 5the January 2017.On arrival the check in was prompt the receptionist was pleasant and gave clear directions on waiting area. The department was bright, clean and there was lots of useful patient information on display. After a brief wait of no more than 10 minutes I was called into a consulting room by a smiling courteous nurse who explained that doctor would be in to see me shortly. A Consultant attended promptly examined and explained the next steps thoroughly.I would like to offer them a particular special mention for their exceptional concordance. I felt completely at ease and fully informed. I have nothing but praise for the Consultant, nursing and administration staff who all played a part in making for a positive patient experience. Bravo!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 06 January 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience of the Dermatology Outpatients Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the standard of medical care provided by all the staff you saw when you attended your dermatology appointment. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information so we can understand the bits of the experience that made this such a good visit we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Andrew harrison gave Cardiology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology dept echo scan

Competent professional nurse total investigation seen on time fully explained procedure.friendly person.uncomfortable led on my left side due to severe osteoarthritis in my hip.but I needed the scan.and put up with the severe pain. Nurse offered me a drink when had my scan considerate I refused but appreciated the kind thought. Stressful mental health issue as waited for patient transport home 1 1/2hours.my appointment was4pm the ambulance people told me they struggle to meet the transport needs of patients with afternoon appointments.I appreciate there time and effort. And I sympathise with them.my anxiety states are brought on with the state of isolation I felt waiting for return transport.also I was in severe pain.but these are my problems.I thank all the staff very much at the cardiology department.thank you .

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 11 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 17 January 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to the Cardiology Department at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.

I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the staff in the Cardiology Department who will be pleased to hear you were happy with the care they provided as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information so we can understand the bits of the experience that made this such a good visit we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Laura Graham gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic stay at gynaecology day ward

I came for a laparoscopy on the 17th of January and the service I received was great from the start. Quick and efficient. Made me feel at ease with it being my first operation nothing felt like to much for the nurses and gynaecologist and team were amazing. Definitely recommend. Felt like everyone took my concerns and questions very seriously. Thank you

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 January 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your admission to the Gynaecology Day Case Unit at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment provided by the staff. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your admission then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Embarrassment

Total embarrassment.. no staff cooperation., nurses and doctors can be visibly seen standing socialising and chatting., waiting time for 4 people is 5 hours .. how is that even possible?

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 20 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Les gave General Surgery at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Case Surgery Unit

I had an open repair of inguinal hernia at the day case surgery unit at Burnley General Hospital on 15th December 2016. I would like to commend all the staff at the hospital for the excellent care I received, including the pre-operation team who put me completely at ease.
No one could have done more for me to ensure I had everything I needed; I was kept fully informed at all times of every procedure. On leaving I was given all the necessary advice and reassurance that at a telephone call help is available.
I really appreciate everything that was done for me. I could not have asked for a higher standard of care. Please make sure that all involved in my care get some recognition for their work and kindness. The department is a credit to the NHS.
Many thanks again to all concerned.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 31 December 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 03 January 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience at the day case surgery unit at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the standard of medical care provided by all the staff you saw when you attended for open repair of inguinal hernia. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Knee replacement Surgery

I was admitted to Burnley General Hospital for a total knee replacement in Dec 2016, I would recommend this hospital especially the orthopaedic ward 15. I received great care from the many professionals who were involved in my operation and recovery. I also attended the hip and knee school prior to my admittance and I personally found this to be a very useful exercise. . The nursing staff on the ward made my stay very pleasant and we had lots of good banter and laughs. I would like to say a big Thank you to all at Burnley Hospital from the Surgeon to the tea person who looked after me. Once again many thanks Viv Williams ????

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 17 January 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 January 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your admission to Ward 15 at Burnley General Hospital for a knee replacement operation and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment you received from all the staff involved during your admission and prior to this at the Hip & Knee School. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your admission then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Unacceptable waiting times

Yet again I've had to wait over two hours to see my obstetrician at the antenatal clinic. I've had four appointments here within the last four months and without fail the average waiting time is well over an hour. I understand that the NHS is stretched but what I cannot fathom is why these ridiculous waiting times are so badly managed. There are never any notices available to indicate what the current waiting times are and reception staff are clueless and unhelpful. This lack of communication is not only infuriating but unfair for those (like myself) who have to organise last minute childcare or rearrange other appointments without even knowing how long they'll have to wait! Please please can you at least tell patients or give them some kind of pre-warning on arrival as to when they can expect to be seen!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 14 December 2016

Thank you for your comments regarding waiting times and lack of communication at the antenatal clinic and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced long waiting times at your antenatal appointments on a number of occasions and that you have needed to organise last minute childcare. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team. However, if you would like us to look into this further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital

Took my son today with high temperature since last 3 days

Took my 11 years old son with high temperature since last 3 days. After 2 hours nurse checked his temperature and blood sugar and advised us to wait in waiting area and we wait for another 3 long hours to see doctor but still no luck and went to reception and been told by receptionist don't know how long it will be until doctor will be able to see your son. How can you expect 11 years old kid with high temperature wait for 5 hours and still don't know when it will be his turn so we left hospital. Very very disappointed with service been given in hospital. Thank you to staff and doctors for doing nothing when we need them.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 December 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 12 December 2016

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

I am very sorry to hear of the length of time you had to wait when you attended the Urgent Care Centre with your son, and that you left the department without being seen. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

If you would like us to look into this further for you please could you contact us to provide more information. You can contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or alternatively you can email the Patient Experience Team at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Mike McGrath reviewed Physiotherapy at Burnley General Hospital

Outstanding Use of HNS Resources

I was referred to the Physiotherapy Department at Burnley General Hospital after treatment for a ruptured Achilles tendon.

I would like to say how useful I have found the 6 lower limb gym sessions have been in my recovery.

From a patient's viewpoint the 6 lower limb gym sessions have provided me with equipment that I could not have used at home. I was able to use a range of exercises and equipment in an informed and safe environment. I doubt very much that sessions in my local gym would have been as remotely effective.

The use of a one hour session for up to 10/12 patients is a very efficient deployment of resources. I felt that the treatment and advice were more effect than a 'one-on-one' appointments and that it would have been impossible for the physiotherapist to have carried out appointments with 12 people in one hour.

By doing the physiotherapy in a gym it became clear that I had misunderstood some of the exercises I was doing at home. For example the way I was doing lunges was not working to the best advantage on my recovering tendon. This was picked up and corrected by the physiotherapist during the gym session. The feedback I received has improved my recovery.

During the session I was able to discus my recovery progress and given relevant advice on the exercises to carry out at home. This was useful to me because initially I was nervous of re-rupturing the tendon and was very tentative in my home exercise regime. The weekly gym session developed my confidence in this area. For example, I was extremely wary of heel raises on the tendon. Over the weeks I became more confident and consequently the strength of the muscles etc has increased. I can now walk up and down stairs without leaning on the handrail and I'm doing light hillwalking again.

By doing the same exercises each week in a controlled environment I was able to 'benchmark' by own progress. For example, one problem I encountered after the treatment for the rupture was single leg balance. By using a wobble board each week (which I wouldn't have been able to do at home) I could self-assess and appreciate my improvement.

I also found that it was beneficial to me being in a group of patients who had had similar injuries.

I feel that that the lower limb gym session is an outstanding use of HNS resources and that it's work should be celebrated.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

Burnley General Hospital replied on 19 December 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience of the Physiotherapy department at Burnley General Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the lower limb gym sessions provided and how these sessions have assisted in improving your recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.