Burnley General Hospital

01282 425071 Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue , Burnley, BB10 2PQ

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

lack of compassion from one member of staff

Visited urgent care 9/8/17 at about 9pm. Distressed and in a great deal of pain. When triaged, one staff nurse was pleasant enough but they sought clarification from nursing sister who was offhand and lacked compassion. They seemed to think that, because I wished to discuss my pain relief and what would work best, that I was "being awkward". Absolutely not. All I wanted was for the pain to stop!
Staff can't help long waits etc, but a lack of compassion is inexcusable. It costs nothing to be kind and makes the experience much better for the patient. Not a training issue- more a recruitment issue. Staff should have a sense of vocation.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and lack of compassion from one member of staff and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Urgent Care Centre.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Or if you prefer you can discuss further any concerns you may have about our services with our East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Customer Relations team on 01254 733700 or complaints@elht.nhs.uk who can advise you of your options in raising these concerns further.

Clueless and dangerous

I took my partner in with excruciating pain to her abdomen in the early hours of Monday. She was unable to walk and so had to be assisted/carried to a wheelchair. When taken in to see a doctor she was asked to get onto the bed - which she obviously couldn't do - and with no help forthcoming from staff I had to lift her onto the bed and help her lay down.

They administered some pain relief but this did not touch the pain she was in.

Upon a physical examination the doctor kept asking if she had eaten "street food" and seemed convinced that it was food poisoning despite her having no other symptoms.

After around 3 hours they sent us away with some codeine - despite the fact that she couldn't get off the bed herself. It took an number of minutes to get her from the bed onto a chair and then back into a wheelchair to be able to take her out with her nearly passing out in agony all the while.

The look on a nurses face said it all as I wheeled her out.

Not happy with the result from this examination and with continued pain I took her to her doctors who immediately referred her to Surgical Triage at Blackburn hospital. She has had scans which have picked up some difficulties and is likely to be having surgery tomorrow.

These scans should have been done when we went to Burnley! I should not have to wheel and carry a normally physically well and active woman in her 30s into three medical establishments in order to get her the care that she so obviously needed. It should have been dealt with at the first port of call.

The doctor at Burnley was dismissive, failed to refer for additional scans and tests, and was very brief and spoke to us mostly as he was walking in or out of the room so it was very difficult (along with their accent) to understand what was actually being said.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 July 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your partners visit to the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital and thank you for taking the time to do so.
I am extremely sorry to hear of your recent experience and will ensure that your comments are fed back to the senior staff for the Urgent Care Centre.

If you would like us to look into the matter in further detail please can you contact the Patient Experience Team either by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk or you can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471.

If you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk
Many thanks again for commenting.
Patient Experience Facilitator

Laura Kaye Dodd gave General Surgery at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic

I attended the hospital for elective surgery on my shoulder and I cannot fault the treatment I received from the minute I walked through the door. I was greeted by pleasant and caring nursing staff who treat me with the utmost dignity and the procedure was fully explained to me. The nurses, physiotherapist, anaesthetist and the consultant who dealt with me were first rate and I cannot praise them enough.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 July 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent treatment in the Elective Surgery at the Burnley General Teaching Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.
It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and treatment you received from all of the staff. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.
If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

I am upset at the way in which I was treated

I am concerned that naming the department may affect my future treatment. I have given 40 years of my life working in health related services and could not believe the manner in which i was treated. It was absolutely appalling to a point that I feel that I have no option but to try and seek a private arrangement - after paying 40yrs tax and NI I should not have to.

I do hope that somebody contacts me as I am sure you can make improvements. But my experience was one of - poor leadership, uncaring attitude, unsafe, ineffective and none responsive. I asked about complaining and called the number 12 times will nil response - nobody seems to care was my impression. I believe that you failed to safeguard my health and well being and that you lacked a basic duty of care. The only staff who showed understanding were the reception staff who were excellent and tried to help me only to be blocked by the medical secretary etc. As nobody seemed to want to listen I have contacted external bodies to raise my concerns formally. I will never set foot in the place again - I feel so upset and rather hurt by my experience - I am a caring person but you showed a total disregard for my well being. I have spoken with friends who are senior employees of your organisation who were visibly shocked when i related my experience.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 10 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices.

I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience of using services at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust. I am also sorry that you were unable to get a response when you rang to raise concerns.

We would appreciate the opportunity to investigate what happened and why you have not received the level of service that we would expect to provide. I would also like to assure you that doing so will not affect any future treatment.

If you would like us to look into the situation in more details then please contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Many thanks again for commenting.

Ken Ford reviewed Burnley General Hospital

Failure to respond to an urgent request for information

My son, is still suffering from the after effects of a stroke he had18 months ago (he spent 4 months in hospital in Burnley).
On Monday I took him to Blackburn A & E because of a swollen leg. It was suspected he had a Deep Vein Thrombosis which in view of his history could be very serious. He was sent home with medication and told to expect a call from Burnley DVT Clinic in a day or two.
There has been no such call so this afternoon I tried to contact the Department at Burnley which was a total failure. I spoke to someone on reception who didn't understand the situation but said they would put me through to someone. The phone rang and rang before cutting out. I tried again. This time the receptionist put me through to Blackburn A & E who had no idea what to do, again put me through to a phone that no one answered. I tried Burnley again. I asked the receptionist to speak to their supervisor. I could hear giggling in the background and was told the supervisor had just gone out - which I'm afraid I did not believe. After further discussion they said they would put me through to another department and, as before, the phone rang and rang but no one answered.
Meanwhile my son has a very swollen leg and has great pain walking.
It is a very poor system if you can't get any response to an urgent request.
I shall have to go back to Blackburn A & E this evening to try to find out what is supposed to be happening.
(Obviously I have not visited Burnley but I could not send this without filling in something in section 4)

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 14 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices.

I am extremely sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced when trying to contact the DVT clinic at Burnley General Teaching Hospital. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Burnley General Hospital

Failure to respond to an urgent request for information

Further to the review I sent yesterday and you published today:
As I said I would, I went to Blackburn A & E last evening to ask for help in speaking to Burnley DVT Clinic. The doctor and nurse there were very helpful and were surprised that, in view of my son's medical history, I had not yet received an appointment. They said that under a new system THEY had no way of contacting the clinic by telephone - all communication was 'electronic'. Another doctor present confirmed that this was so and also expressed dissatisfaction with the arrangement.
The nurse, who was very understanding of my concern, then went off to re-send the request for my son to have a scan,
This morning I got a phone call from Burnley with an appointment for tomorrow.
This, of course, is good news but the communication systems in place leave much to be desired.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 14 July 2017

Thank you for your further comments about your experience and for speaking to me this morning.

I am pleased to hear that the matter has now been sorted out and I will ensure that your further comments are brought to the attention of the senior staff for the department and shared with the team.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Doreen Livesey gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy/Colonoscopy

I underwent an endoscopy and colonoscopy this week.
The staff on reception where pleasant and efficient.
The nurse who informed me of the procedure and checked my details was very nice, kept taking to me and putting me at ease.
The care and attention given was excellent, no one looks forward to having this done, but I was treated with care , consideration and respect.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience of the Endoscopy Department at Burnley General Hospital, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care and attention provided by the staff and that you were treated with such care, consideration and respect. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

If you would like to provide us with further information about your experience then we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and using our services. You can either contact me (Melissa Almond) on 01254 734087 or by email at patientexperience@elht.nhs.uk

Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Jill gave Colorectal cancer services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Colonoscopy

15 July 2017 at 11am Saturday. I can confirm that I was treated with the greatest of dignity and respect. The theatre staff carrying out the procedure were marvellous and very reassuring and helpful, and explained all the way when to take gas and air, and what was happening, and even thought I was awake, to watch it on the screen was very helpful and "wow", what trained NHS staff can do these days for you to help you keep healthy.

The instructions for the Moviprep were clear and precise. I found a it best to take the taste away after each drink by clearing my mouth out with water.

I have Colonoscopies every 3 years, and I prefer to go to Burnley General.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. J S

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 16 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Burnley General Hospital for a colonoscopy, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

It is lovely to receive such positive feedback about the care provided by the staff and that you were treated with the greatest dignity and respect. I will ensure your comments and thanks are passed onto the team who will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback as they always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Anonymous gave Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Clearly marked car parking spaces? Nurse! The screens!

A stressful and torturous route to eventually find parking, over numerous speed bumps specially for those with painful medical conditions.

Then a quick tomorrow to the wrong outpatient reception Yes there are two and nowhere near each other.

I have to salute the medical staff who work in such difficult conditions. Management and organisation score low

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 18 July 2017

I am extremely sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced when trying to find car parking and the outpatient reception at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.

If you would like to provide further information about your experience you can contact the Patient Experience team. You can contact me (Sarah Ridehalgh) on 01254 734471.

5 hours waiting time on a tuesday night

my son had a fall and cut his forehead open
was given a 5 hour waiting time. after 5 hours was told there is another 2 to 3 hour wait.
forehead was glued within 3 mins so i have no idea why it took over 7 hours for my son to be seen for 3mins.
when i asked reception about the times.the receptioniat was dismissive,saying there are others woth more urgent needs. i understand there are priorities.what i dont get is how it can take soo long to get a nurse not even a dr to dress and glue a cut forehead.this is a 3year old who sat waiting till 3.30am.
had i known i was going to wait to be seen till 3.30am. i would have waited another couple of hours to be seen by own gp and their urgent dressings department.
there was no apology for saying 5hours and seeing him after 7 and half hours. its like burnley urgent care dont care. i was very disheartened upon my visit and not consider visiting here again unless wait times are addressed.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

Burnley General Hospital replied on 27 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on NHS Choices.
I am extremely sorry to hear about your son's experience of the Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Teaching Hospital.