Burnley General Hospital

Telephone: 01282 425071
Address: Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue, Burnley, BB10 2PQ
Website: http://www.elht.nhs.uk

Miss Seedat gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely Fantastic!

The Staff in the daycare department ward 27 Were absolutely brilliant! In particular the Nurse who was with us all the way through.Friendly Polite and very very professional. Made us feel very comfortable and at ease. The staff in the MRI room were great too .. Our visit to royal Burnley hospital wasvery good. Thank you so much

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

Dear Miss Seedat

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Children's service at Burnley General Hospital on the daycare ward 27, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Or if you would like to share your experience in confidence with an independent organisation please contact Healthwatch BwD on 01254 504985 or info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk

Irene Smale gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A Great Experience

I have just been fortunate enough to spend 4 days on Ward 15 having my right knee replaced. I would not hesitate to give 5 stars to all aspects of my care. I could not have received better care anywhere by absolutely lovely, dedicated, and pleasant staff who made me feel perfectly at ease and who could not do enough for me and all of their patients.
You need to spend a few days here to appreciate the tireless work done by the staff to reassure their patients that all will be well, at a time when they are at their most vulnerable. If patience is a virtue then it abounds here.
I sincerely thank every member of staff for the excellent care I received. You all made my stay a very pleasant experience.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 17 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

Dear Ms Smale

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of Ward 15 at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be delighted to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

day surgery

Being very nervous of having a general anaesthetic for gallbladder surgery is arrived for day surgery. On arrival in was met by reception who quickly notified nursing staff I had arrived. From then on it was constantly reassured and everything explained.. And believe me I asked lots of questions. The whole team from health care assistants to consultant looked after me and I felt like they really care.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 25 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital has not yet replied.

Carley Poole gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent caring staff

I went to urgent care with a suspected broken ankle, which turned out to be a spiral fracture. I had 2 x-rays and ended up with my lower leg in plaster. The care I received was excellent - I was kept well informed, the waiting time wasn't bad and the staff in particular were all friendly, caring and personable, in particular the receptionist who booked me in for x-ray and kept our spirits up whilst we waited!
Thank you very much to all involved from the triage nurse to the staff who did my x rays, the porters and the nurse who plastered me up.
All in all, a good experience of the urgent care centre at Burnley (or as good an experience you can have with a fractured ankle!)

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 16 April 2015

Dear Ms Poole

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. I can well appreciate a broken ankle isn't on anyone's wish list but I'm pleased that you felt cared for and informed throughout your visit to us.

Shaz gave Rheumatology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The doctor and their staff are incredible

I was recently referred and was delighted to feel patient care. The doctor is just wonderful and very thorough. The doctor also sent me a copy if the letter to my GP and this was within a week.

I'm so impressed and relieved to be under her care. Can't praise this department enough!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 05 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

Dear Shaz

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Rheumatology service at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team and the doctor you mention in such lovely terms who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care.

Claire Brennan gave Gynaecology at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful staff

I was admitted to the ward 3 times during early pregnancy via the EPAU for treatment for Hyperemesis. I received fantastic care from both the EPAU staff and the doctors and nurses on the Gynae and Breast care ward. Everyone was so helpful and caring and made me feel at ease at a time when I was very unwell and anxious! Thank you so much to all who were involved in my treatment.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 16 April 2015

Dear Ms Brennan

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Early Pregnancy Unit and the Gynae ward at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the teams concerned who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. I do hope your sickness settled and your pregnancy was more smooth after this initial hiccup?

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk. I can then if you wish put you in touch with the team to feed back anything you would like to share further.

Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visiting Family from Germany

My daughter and I popped over from Germany for the weekend, however, my daughter had a terrible eye infection (ulcer) this was treated in the eye department on the Friday night, the Dr saw us although they had officially finished work for the day. The service from the front desk, to the nurse, to the first dr, who then got us to see the eye specialist was out of this world excellent.... Thank you to all those who helped us, the friendliness was amazing, it was so comforting to know that we were in safe hands. I even talked to the security officer at the door, who, also was very friendly.
From my daughter and me, we thank you so very very much, her eye is much better and she is on the mend.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital and the eye ward that ended up seeing you on the Friday night, and thank-you for taking the time to email your thoughts on their care for your daughter. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. I do hope your daughter's eye is healing well.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to your daughter on her continued recovery
Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Out of hours gp. Total lack of care for my 10 year old son

I took my 10 year old son to the out of hours gp within the urgent care centre at Burnley with severe stomach pain and vomiting.
After a very brief examination the dr said it was possibly appendicitis and advised we were admitted to the children's observations unit at a different hospital. We were told to return to the waiting area and an ambulance would come to take him.

We sat in the waiting room for five hours for the ambulance to come. During which time not a single person came to check he was ok etc. He was sat on a hard chair without any pain killers crying until he eventually fell asleep at around 3am. During this time I had to go to the reception and ask if they had any idea how long we were to wait. A very helpful member of staff phoned the ambulance service and kept doing so on a few occasions while we waited. Eventually when the paramedics turned up it became clear that the reason we were left without any help for 5 long hours was the fault of the gp who had failed to tell a single person that we were there, and in fact when the ambulance turned up the nurses had no idea who it was for as they had not been told.

We finally arrived at the hospital the staff were under the impression that we had decided not to come since it had been so long since he was referred!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 31 March 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I have passed on your concerns to the teams involved who apologised for the delay on admitting him to the children's ward which caused your extended wait at Burnley. They have also passed on your comments about the out of hours GP to the team concerned in the UCC too, but I can only apologise that you had such a long waiting time and I do hope that your son is now recovering?

If you would like to talk through your visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that we could improve on we would really value this. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.
Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to your son on his recovery

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Attended Main xray department

I attended the main X-ray department on 26th March 2015 for a routine X-ray after being referred by my GP. I was seen very quickly and in total was only there about 15 minute. The only thing I can complain about is that there were no gowns available at all. I can't believe in this day and age that there wasn't one gown in the whole X-ray department!!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 31 March 2015

Dear Anonymous

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our X-Ray department at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto the team who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. However, I am sure the lack of gowns will be a concern which I have also passed onto our linen department so that they are aware of the issue.

Wendy Stobbs, Senior Patient Experience Facilitator

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Burnley General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wow! Amazing staff

my daughter needed to attend the day surgery unit. As she had turned 16 she was initially sent to the adult day care unit. Because she was so nervous, she wanted me to be with her so the nurse who first saw us said they would see if she could be admitted to the children's ward so i could stay. She was transferred to ward 27 where the staff were amazing. Even though Chloe was 16 they fully explained everything that would be happening. This put her mind at ease. Although it was a very long wait for her to go to theatre (five hours) the staff were fantastic and i can not fault them in any way. Please pass on mine and Chloe's thanks.....especially for the bravery certificate!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

Burnley General Hospital replied on 13 March 2015

Dear Anonymous & Chloe

Many thanks for your feedback on your experience of our Children's Day Case Unit at Burnley General Hospital, and thank-you for taking the time to do so. I will make sure your appreciation is passed onto all of the teams you mentioned who will be very pleased to hear that your recent experience with us was really positive as we always strive to deliver safe, personal & effective care. It is lovely to hear that your daughter had a positive experience of care despite her nerves about the operation and I do hope she has recovered well from her surgery.

If you would like to talk through yours and Chloe's visit to us with one of our Patient Experience team so we can understand the bits of your experience that made this such a good visit for you both we would really value this so that we can try to make it like this for every young patient visiting our hospitals and services. You can either contact me (Wendy Stobbs) on 01254 734471/ 01254 733704 or email me on wendy.stobbs@elht.nhs.uk.

Many thanks again for commenting and best wishes to Chloe on her continued recovery