Check here for alerts

Hinchingbrooke Hospital

01480 416 416 Hinchingbrooke Park , Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT

Sally gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E Visit 9 year old

I attended A&E with my 9 year old daughter on Friday afternoon as she had a fall at school on to her wrist which is fractured. Your staff, from the receptionist at A&E through to the moment we left was excellent. We were seen quickly (I know not always possible in busier times!) - my daughter was completely put at ease by the friendly staff in reception, x-ray through to all doctors and nurses. It was her first experience of A&E and although we hope to never need you again(!), she certainly won't be as worried to meet you all if there ever is a next time! Many thanks to you all.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 21 November 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 29 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review. It's great to hear that both of you had a relatively stress free visit and we hope that your daughter is now well on the mend. We will pass on your thanks to the A&E team and send our best wishes to you both.

Shelbyhall18 gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

So grateful

I had my first child in hinchingbrooke a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I was very nervous and scared but the care we recieved was outstanding. It was a bit of a traumatic birth but the staff were so kind and helpful. Also, the accommodation and food was so much better than expected for a general hospital. I will be going back in February 2017 to have my second child and can't wait.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 27 November 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 29 November 2016

Hi - thank you so much for this review. We are delighted to hear that you will be back in February for your second child and send our very best wishes to you and baby.

Anonymous gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible

Lack of communication between staff, had one doctor telling me one thing and another the complete opposite, had to pester them constantly just for them to give me the correct food which took over a week for them to do as well as correct medication. All in all utter shambles, complete disregard for patients needs. If I had the option I definitely would not choose Hinchingbrooke again.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 29 November 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issues you experienced. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you in person, so if you are able to do so, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

ray gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 3 stars

out patient appointment

I had an out patient appointment following a knee replacement, 0845 on 31/10 booked in at 08.30 told to wait, at 08.55 told to go for an x ray, why they couldn't tell me at 08.30 I don't know.X ray was quick, went back then told to wait again, at 09.25 I got fed up waiting and left. It's not good enough, 08.45 means 08.45, very annoyed

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 31 October 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you experienced a longer wait than expected. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I recently gave birth to my son Reuben (10/10/16) on the labour ward and I cannot thank the staff on this ward enough for there amazing support throughout everything. Unfortunately my labour wasn't as straight forward as I would have liked, I must mention that in particular one member of staff on the labour wards care towards myself and my partner was outstanding. This midwife was the most amazing and patient person I've ever met and I know that without their support I wouldn't have been able to get through my labour. They honestly deserve a medal for their patience and care towards others. I must also mention that the doctor and the other midwife were also exceptional people who's care did not go unnoticed by myself, my partner and my mother in law. I really can't thank the labour and lilac ward enough for everything they did for my family, hinchingbrooke hospital truly are blessed to have such amazing people working for the NHS.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 12 October 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 18 October 2016

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It's great to hear about your experience and the safe arrival of your son Reuben. We hope that you are both doing well and will of course pass on your thanks to the midwifery team.

Jo Lucas gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional maternity care

My daughter has just given birth to her third child. She had her first two at Addenbrookes. From day one we were all stunned. She was made to feel an individual, and never just a number. The kindness of all the staff she met was without parallel. Every appointment was calm, informative, unrushed and a pleasure. Admittedly the pregnancy was straightforward but all her queries were answered at length and followed up. The delivery suite was frantic but again she felt nothing was too much for the staff. I was unsure about her decision to change hospitals , having worked as a doctor at A.H. For over 30 years, but now have nothing but praise and confidence in Hinchingbrooke.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 October 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback about your daughter's experience of our maternity department - we will pass on your comments to the team who will be delighted. Please send our best regards to your daughter and her family, and thank you again for your kind review.

Jilly gave Gynaecology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Lack of communication

My surgery had unexpected complications. This resulted in me staying in hospital longer. The ward staff were a mix of pleasant and surly. Nursing staff did not spend time explaining what I needed to do to help myself after my surgery and being very poorly I could not think for myself. Not many were aware of what procedure I had and therefore had unreasonable expectations of my mobility. I could not eat which meant I could not access full pain relief - which I had to request a few times. Other times a nurse would turn up with a batch of medication without explaining to me what they were all for. My cannula was removed when it should not have been. I had to wait for my family to come before I could go and wash. The doctors were supportive and informative when they came. They questioned why ward staff had not followed process and then those processes were not followed through with the consistency I expected. At pre-op I was advised that I would need to follow some physiotherapy, but when I asked to see one after my surgery, I was told that there wasn't one. No physio leaflets were given to me and no one understood why I wanted one either! I did not have a suitable chair to sit in at the bedside and didn't feel comfortable or confident to take a walk without support. The doctor told me that I needed to stay for another night, but in that evening, with a half hour warning I was told that the ward was closing and I needed to be transferred. I asked if I could go home as I was much better, but the registrar suggested I stay. I agreed..,until they took me to the dementia ward. My anxieties peaked, as did my sats, as I visualised a far from comfortable night of on a ward of severely sick patients wailing. Within half an hour I had discharged myself - against the doctors advice. This transfer and its lack of communication put me and my health at risk. I have never been so scared but knew I could not face a night in this ward - I juniored these patients by at least 20 years. My self discharge meant that I could not have the medication I needed nor could I have access to any patient support. I would not be held to ransom with this and it wasn't until I came home that I found out I could have paid for my own room in the hospital's private suite that i did not know existed - something I would have willingly done had I been informed before my surgery. This was my first time accessing NHS in patient and I can safely say I will never use it again! Devastated, horrified and upset by the whole thing!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 17 October 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail. If you feel able to do so, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net

Anonymous gave CCS NHS Trust Dental Department at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Did a great job but.....

I went here last month with an infected wisdom tooth which was also impacted. They prescribed me with antibiotics and sent me in my way. Two weeks later I had to go back as the infection still hadn't gone and I really wanted my wisdom tooth out. Had an X-ray done and was told due to the facial nerve a surgeon would have to carry this out. Was told to register with a dentist and they would refer me back to the hospital. So I did all this and have now been told that the hospital has a 6/12 month waiting list or my other option is to go private and pay £500. I'm in agony on codiene and feel this is such a long wait. So with regards to their emergency service this was fine but to have to wait 6/12months to have a wisdom tooth out which is causing me so many problems is just awful.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 25 October 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 28 October 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you may have a longer than expected wait for your surgery. If you feel able to do so, please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net?

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disappointed

When I got to a&e I sat down ask as was unable to stand and was very worried as it was and the nurse was very rude towards me and not friendly . I also think it wrong the when seeing the nurse before you go through you to see a doctor you just stand at reception so everyone can heard what is wrong with you , you should Be taken into a separate room . The wait was to long and people after you went in first . Very disappointed with my visit to a&e

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 08 September 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 September 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can discuss this with you in more detail?

fred izzard gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My wife was treated on 8th Sept. Staff were brilliant.

My wife was admitted to A & E on 8th Sept. and subsequently to A.A.U. She was treated with kindness and care from all the staff and the Doctors. She was kept informed of her treatment and the possibility of returning for another appointment. We have been most impressed with the quiet efficiency .and care shown by everyone in both departments. Thank you so much for caring for her..

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave such fabulous feedback. We will pass on your thanks to the teams responsible, and hope that your wife is now feeling much better.