Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Address: Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT
Website: http://www.hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

24th December my nan was taken to hospital

Hinchingbrooke hospital are useless they have had my nan in since 24th of December and still haven't found out what is wrong. They constantly give her false hope about going home. Also telling her she's due for scan but never put her through for one. They have constantly been giving her pills basically trying to cover what is wrong instead of finding out he main cause of her being ill. It's ridiculous my poor nan is suffering and they are doing jack! Would never recommend this place at all.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 07 January 2015

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Robin Pain gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very good.

I was treated extremely well by the surgeons who visited me everyday and also by the staff who kept me free of pain and comfortable.

Abdominal surgery is a serious thing but I was never afraid and am now recovering well thanks to the physical and psychological support of this hospital.

I cannot say the same about the food - but they did try their best with a limited budget.

The nurses are particularly friendly and helpful as are the rest of the staff - thank you all at Juniper ward.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 25 January 2015

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

From 7:30am until 2:30pm today I can honestly say I was 100% looked after at...

From 7:30am until 2:30pm today I can honestly say I was 100% looked after at every stage. From the reception staff to the nurses & theatre staff, all were friendly, polite, professional, competent & superb.

After my first ever operation being NHS day surgery at a nearby hospital I was extremely nervous & honestly expecting the same disaster again. Then it was rude, abrupt staff that didn't look after each individual in an open same sex ward, leaving us & our visitors too look after ourselves.

My second op I paid private just so I could be sure of good service & treatment.

I can honestly say that the ward today was on a par with private treatment, I cannot fault it at all.

Many thanks to today's staff.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 01 December 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

We are very glad that you feel satisfied with your recent treatment at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust and many thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. It is appreciated. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Recently took my child with special needs to the hospital for a clinic...

Recently took my child with special needs to the hospital for a clinic appointment. Staff were excellent and facilities were good. I just have one comment and it is to do with the information given to me before the appointment. It would have been helpful if the appointment letter had advised us that my son needed an X-ray before seeing the consultant, we could have then prepared him in advance. I appreciate that some tests cannot be predicted but it was clear that this test formed part of the consultation and this could have been made clear on the appointment letter.
Just one small point to think about.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 03 December 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

David T gave Colorectal cancer services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Consistently excellent through four ops this year

I have had to have four ops this year and, at every juncture all the hospital staff have excelled. I have been treated on Daisy and Mulberry wards and A&E and the kindness and quAlity of care have been overwhelming. The colorectal consultant, has been outstanding and I can't thank everyone who has helped me at the hospital enough.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 21 December 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Lilian Carris gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I had to go to A&E at 9.00am on 11th December with shortness of breath, a cough and palpitations due to asthma. The receptionist in A&E was absolutely fantastic, getting me booked in straight away and then seen by a nurse. In the short time that my husband went to park the car I was already in a hospital gown on a bed. I was transferred to AAU that afternoon where I spent two nights. I had LRTI - pneumonia, exacerbation of asthma
and a new diagnosis of atrial fibrillation with low potassium levels. These where the worst two nights of my life, Thank you EPHRAM for taking such good care of me, I feel as though you spent all your time with me on both nights, I really feel that I would not have pulled through on my own. I also appreciated the site manager coming to see me in the middle of the night. I was transferred to MSSU on Saturday 13th where the excellent care continued. I moved to Walnut Ward on Monday 22nd (4th time in 2014) and yet again the excellent care continued by every member of staff. Thank you to everyone who took care of me.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 01 January 2015

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Attitude of receptionist

Over Christmas my Dad was unwell - he was admitted via A & E on the 26/12/14 with an infected (which ended up being Nacrotic) Gall Bladder, he was operated on the 29th and left hospital on the 31st. The service he received when he saw a doctor/consultant/nurse in A & E or the subsequent 2 wards was good.

But the attitude & tone of the reception staff in A and E was terrible on both occasions he visited them. The worst example was on the 2nd January when he returned to hospital because he again had stabbing pains in his side, we called 111 who told us he should see a doctor within 6 hours, we called our surgery who said there were no appointments but put me through to the out of hours doctor who said they have no appointments and he needed to go to hospital (note - we are not the sort of people who arrive at A and E as a first solution - we had already exhausted the other options).

In particular it was one receptionist who was the worst - as you walk into the Emergency Department there is a curved desk in front of you and two pillars either side of you - you are naturally drawn to the desk directly in front of you between the two pillars - however it would appear we are supposed to check in at the desk to the left - there are no signs to this affect and it is difficult to know which desk you are supposed to wait at and both ladies sat behind the desk ignore you completely so it doesn't give you any hint or indication.

I started to try to explain to the receptionist - after she told my father off for sitting in a chair! That my father came into hospital on Boxing day and was operated on on the 29th (thinking the fact that he is 2 days out of hospital following an unplanned operation) but i couldnt finish my sentence before she interupted me - very abruptly with "what are his symptoms today".

We then waited for about an hour and a half before we went through to see a Doctor (obviously it was the 2nd January so we knew we would have to wait) and in that time I managed to easily observe this receptionist do the same thing to several other patients - sometimes she would ignore people because she was speaking to an ambulance driver but often she would make them wait until she was quite ready and never even acknowledging their presence in front of her.

I am shocked that this receptionist would choose a job in the care profession or in a customer service role as she clearly has no desire to listen/empathise with patients or provide any sort of customer service.

I am sure they were very busy - but i think it would be worth mentioning that a lady who took over from this receptionist later who managed to at least acknowledge patients who appeared in front of her with eye contact and a nod rather than disgust which is what the first gave us and every other customer that day.

Maybe you could invest in some training for the receptionist - or at least a reminder that we (the tax paying patients) are not there to get in her way - we have actually been up since 4am with my Dad crying out in pain!!!

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 05 January 2015

A&E a shambles

Went into A&E with my wife having stroke symptoms. It took me well over 10 minutes to find anyone to help. I rang the bell for several minutes with no response. I than wondered back to the acute care area and they said that someone should be in A&E. I than walked back and rang the bell over and over for several more minutes. I than tried to dial 999 on the receptionist phone and it wouldn’t go through. Isn’t that ironic. Then I finally started pounding on the locked door and someone came out. I was told they were busy with other patients. I found that strange since the waiting area was empty.

When they took us back 4 of the staff had been setting at the desk drinking tea. So much for being busy. The floors in the area are filthy. They have not been mopped in months. Nobody ever washed their hands. Only one nurse wore gloves and he dropped those on the floor and then put them on. The staff’s primary purpose seemed to send you home. They didn’t want to do tests or any type of assessment. I finally found a doctor who was helpful. But it turns out he was only visiting for a week. He insisted she be admitted. But as soon as he was gone they went back to trying to send her home.

I would consider trying to make it someplace else before I want back here again. It may take longer to get there but at least you will be able to get help.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 05 December 2014

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible experience - will be taking further action

My father had a terrible experience for one month at Hinchingbrooke. All the norms of good care were flouted and we were let down by everyone at every stage of his care- from the consultant who re-prescbed the drug he had an adverse reaction to, to the ambulance driver who asked me for directions to another hospital on my phone. I will be taking further action because although the hospital 'appears' clean and organised, nothing could be further from the truth. The hospital only survives because the patients and families do not know what care they should be receiving. My father has severe dementia (like at least half of the people on the ward he was on - not the dementia ward), he was sedated without consultation of the family (attorney for health and welfare), he was restrained by being put on an air mattress(I heard the nurses saying 'give him an air mattress so that he does not get out of bed') and also being tucked in, he was not encouraged to walk, he was given a catheter for the duration of his stay although he doesn't need one and this has caused permanent damage, he developed bedsores and lost 10kg in three weeks. The nurses did not have training in dementia and there is no geriatric psychiatrist in the hospital - remarkable when 1 in 4 people in hospitals suffer from dementia. He was deemed 'medically fit for discharge' but actually had a negative blood test that showed an infection and needed antibiotics. We had to project manage all the people we had to liase with and do the work of the nurses in the hospital. More than 'not recommend' this hospital, I discourage you from ever going here.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 09 December 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about Hinchingbrooke Hospital. We are incredibly sorry to hear that your father had a poor experience during his admission. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you further so that we can learn from the issues you have raised and put in place appropriate corrective actions. We should be grateful if you would contact our PALS Manager, Louisa Grice, so that a member of our Executive Team can meet with you at your earliest convenience. Louisa can be contacted on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Nose bleed