Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Address: Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT
Website: http://www.hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk

Jenna gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lilac ward

I came in to the lilac ward needing help with my pregnancy . The staff were fast, efficient and really friendly. I'm so glad I am having my baby here. Thank you.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Hinchingbrooke- we will pass your comments onto the team on Lilac. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Why was I ignored for hours?

I was taken to the A and E department (3.45pm) after becoming ill over lunch with family at Huntingdon. After arrival I was told I had a high temperature and was given paracetamol and told to wait. After approx one and a half hours, I was seen by a nurse/sister who told me I still had a v high temperature and I needed to be seen by a doctor, due to my medical history. I asked if I could lay down as I felt very ill but was told I couldn't as there were no beds available. A urine sample was taken at this time and as the doctor was extremely busy, I was told to go back into the waiting room and I would be called. Around 7.30 pm I went to the desk and asked the clerk when I would be seen and was told to wait and that she would ask colleagues. By 8.pm she appeared to go off duty without any communication to me. The new clerk came on duty and approx 8.20 I spoke to her asking how much longer I would be waiting. She looked on the screen and said that I had been signed off as discharged! I was then seen immediately by a very helpful doctor and efficient nurse. After blood tests and IV antibiotics, I was discharged. It was then 10pm. This was over six hours from admission.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

Kaybear gave Diabetic Medicine at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Diabetic Foot Ulcer Treatment Excellent

I have had two Diabetic foot Ulcers on my left foot for over a year. The treatment and care I have had has been excellent. I have nothing but praise for the Diabetic Team, especially the podiatrist. I have been fully informed on every aspect of treatment and know that I can feel safe in the knowledge that I am under the best care I can possibly be.

I have been Diabetic since 1998 and ot took me a very long time to come to terms with it. My control was very poor so I do understand how other people feel. I am under no illusions that some patients have a difficult time and I suppose that I have been extremely lucky. However, I also know that it is MY responsibility to control MY Diabetes carefully and not arbitrarily blame others for poor control. It is YOUR decision to eat properly and keep your blood sugars down NOT the responsibility of the Hospital. If your Diabetes control is poor then you need to rethink what you are doing and be honest with yourself that you need help to control it. Listen to what the Medical team tell you its not for the good of their health, its for the good of yours.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

A&E a shambles

Went into A&E with my wife having stroke symptoms. It took me well over 10 minutes to find anyone to help. I rang the bell for several minutes with no response. I than wondered back to the acute care area and they said that someone should be in A&E. I than walked back and rang the bell over and over for several more minutes. I than tried to dial 999 on the receptionist phone and it wouldn’t go through. Isn’t that ironic. Then I finally started pounding on the locked door and someone came out. I was told they were busy with other patients. I found that strange since the waiting area was empty.

When they took us back 4 of the staff had been setting at the desk drinking tea. So much for being busy. The floors in the area are filthy. They have not been mopped in months. Nobody ever washed their hands. Only one nurse wore gloves and he dropped those on the floor and then put them on. The staff’s primary purpose seemed to send you home. They didn’t want to do tests or any type of assessment. I finally found a doctor who was helpful. But it turns out he was only visiting for a week. He insisted she be admitted. But as soon as he was gone they went back to trying to send her home.

I would consider trying to make it someplace else before I want back here again. It may take longer to get there but at least you will be able to get help.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 05 December 2014

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible experience - will be taking further action

My father had a terrible experience for one month at Hinchingbrooke. All the norms of good care were flouted and we were let down by everyone at every stage of his care- from the consultant who re-prescbed the drug he had an adverse reaction to, to the ambulance driver who asked me for directions to another hospital on my phone. I will be taking further action because although the hospital 'appears' clean and organised, nothing could be further from the truth. The hospital only survives because the patients and families do not know what care they should be receiving. My father has severe dementia (like at least half of the people on the ward he was on - not the dementia ward), he was sedated without consultation of the family (attorney for health and welfare), he was restrained by being put on an air mattress(I heard the nurses saying 'give him an air mattress so that he does not get out of bed') and also being tucked in, he was not encouraged to walk, he was given a catheter for the duration of his stay although he doesn't need one and this has caused permanent damage, he developed bedsores and lost 10kg in three weeks. The nurses did not have training in dementia and there is no geriatric psychiatrist in the hospital - remarkable when 1 in 4 people in hospitals suffer from dementia. He was deemed 'medically fit for discharge' but actually had a negative blood test that showed an infection and needed antibiotics. We had to project manage all the people we had to liase with and do the work of the nurses in the hospital. More than 'not recommend' this hospital, I discourage you from ever going here.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 09 December 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about Hinchingbrooke Hospital. We are incredibly sorry to hear that your father had a poor experience during his admission. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you further so that we can learn from the issues you have raised and put in place appropriate corrective actions. We should be grateful if you would contact our PALS Manager, Louisa Grice, so that a member of our Executive Team can meet with you at your earliest convenience. Louisa can be contacted on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Carol Vincent Bennet gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An excellent local hospital

Hinchingbrooke has often suffered from 'bad press' but over the past two years the senior management team along with their incredibly hardworking staff have strived to turn the hospital around.

Having successfully given the hospital a physical makeover (its amazing what a change of colour scheme can achieve) and some obvious staff training (improving their inter-personal skills) I feel very positive about the hospital.

My husband and I have both been receiving on-going treatment over the last three months and I am facing a knee replacement within the next few weeks. Every appointment, admission and treatment has been excellent; no question, query or worry is ignored.

Hinchingbrooke's. approach and support of their patients has improved enormously - long may it continue!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

Julia Hills gave Gynaecology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I had my first out patient appointment in Oct 2013, in the treatment centre. I have since had a few attendances, and every department I have been in, from clinic, MRI scanning dept, and most recently as an in patient for surgery I have experienced wonderful care and attention. All the staff, without exception, have been caring and kind and I have felt that any treatment that has been offered to me has been knowledgable and explained well.
I was an in patient for only three days, but I was impressed on the whole with the meals that were served up (hot!) and I don't think I've ever seen pana cotta offered as a pudding in any other hospital, and I spent 35 years as a nurse in the NHS!
We have lived in the area for only 18 months, and I will say that one of the factors when we moved was which local hospital we would attend if (when) we might need any medical attention. The good reviews on the hospital web site and word of mouth recommendation have proved accurate.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

We are very glad that you feel satisfied with your recent care at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust and many thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. It is appreciated. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant service and staff

Attended Hinchingbrooke Hospital for X-rays recently; all of the staff that I met with were polite and understanding. The efficiency of the X-ray department and the speed that they dealt with me was fantastic.

Thank you!!!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 29 October 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 December 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent appointment at Hinchingbrooke- we will pass your comments onto the X-Ray Team. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Hospital feedback

Compliments from the patient to the gastroenterologist at Hinchinbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon, Cambs.

He is compassionate and caring, and he is always in a very stable space of careful, thorough listening and patience.

The depth and seriousness through which he listens to his patient simply makes any “doctor-patient” position and barriers disappear.

He is extremely capable of understanding patient’s pain and sufferings. I have only seen a fewer doctors who are sincerely able to absorb other people’s pain and deal with it as if it was their own. The impact of this itself is so important. Conversely, I remember the times where the sheer stress of having some bad doctor used to prolong my pain.

I owe my last 10 years of living to this consultant's careful medical balancing, high calibre skills and knowledge and his robust thinking that is truly vast. His approach stretches inside and out the protocols and frames, to win the game of life and health for his patients... and life itself is also so vast and not confined to any frame.

After all I have been through with the long term illness and countless doctors, I can say with full confidence that I have been too lucky to have come across my gastro specialist.
His exceptional and extraordinary capabilities make him eligible for the most respected specialists in his area.

I trust I share my opinion with all his patients and people who work with him.
What makes him so unique is his thorough, careful approach which never changes.

This is what also makes him a right-doer and what puts him on the right directions when making the decisions, all the time and without fail.

I truly believe that it is vital to have doctors such as this one. Once their continuous correctness build up the confidence in patient, then those simply have dual/double effect. Patient is confident that mistakes from the doctors of this calibre are possible but highly unlikely. And needless to say that the psychological impact of confidence, to any disease is far from negligible.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Ali Murray gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E and AAU

I was taken in to hospital having an asthma attack. I was seen immediately and given fantastic care.I was in overnight and taken care of very well. The food was amazing and apart from one nurse the staff were all fantastic and it was not a bad stay at all. I would recommend this hospital to anyone.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 14 October 2014

We are glad that you were satisfied with your recent care at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust and many thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. It is appreciated. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.