Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Telephone: 01480 416 416
Address: Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT
Website: http://www.hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk

Jan smith reviewed Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Assessor was humoured by my pain! And my own meds so far

I went to A & E On Friday evening following a day of a pain in my chest. I have a strong history of heart problems in my family so I had taken an aspirin which I thought may help and also when this failed a gaviscon tablet, I had slept for mist if the day very unusual for me. Now, the lady I saw practically laughed at me and I was in agony I never go to the dr's so I don't fret/panic at every little thing wrong with me I fact I'm probably the reverse so I really did not appreciate her mocking me. She said after grinning did you not think to take a paracetamol or anti digestient? No I explained about the family history she was still grinning. Why hadn't you gone to your own go today, I explained I had slept all day thinking it would go. She said oh I think we will send you along to the out if hours dr. Saw the doctor who was very nice and he said sore stomach prescribed a tablet. Took one that night and in the morning but the pain was excruciating and getting worse I just didn't know what to do with myself. I then started vomiting orange stuff, my vowels were going lots to. Rang and got new appt out of hours dr for 11.30 got there and went in at 12.50 saw a lovely dr who said I think you have pancreatitus I'll call a surgeon down, now I am feeling a but panicky. I was admitted and came home yesterday with anti b's I'm to go back this week for a scan and as soon as inflammation of my gall bladder is okay I'll be in for day surgery to have my gall bladder removed. My diagnosis is acute cholecystitus!

I am writing as I'm quite angry to be mocked, with that attitude she could make some nervous person go home and die. Not everyone is there pulling a fast one which is how she made me feel. Thank you

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Mike Hartley gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Overall good but details requiring attention

Overall good visit and satisfied. Receptionist in ENT (Fri 22 Aug morning) was clearly having a bad day. Surgeon and his nurse superb. 20 min delay was quite acceptable. Had to park some was from disabled space, so a wheelchair was needed so more spaces for disasbled are needed.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 August 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

JP gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Fantastically caring nursing staff

The nursing staff and play leaders went out of their way to make our seven year old daughter feel special and looked after. This was both on Holly ward and on A and E. The ambulance staff who transferred her to Addenbrookes were also very friendly.
The medical treatment was good however there were some issues around communication for example the A and E doctor on Saturday night left us waiting for a very long time without communicating what was going on.
However we are all very lucky to have such an amazing service available to us all.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Grannie Annie gave Maternity service at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very impressed

My daughter has recently given birth to our grand daughter so I spent so I time with her in the delivery suite and on Liliac ward.
As a senior nurse in another district general hospital I know how hard it is to 'please all the people all the time'. I am also very sensitive to the attitude of staff and the atmosphere in wards.
The public areas of the hospital were bright, clean and tidy. The parking was easy and convenient (yippee).
This hospital seems to have achieved the caring culture that we are all striving for. Well done and keep up the good work.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Very impressed

Whilst I was waiting outside my daughter's room not one person walked passed me without ensuring that I was ok. The midwife caring for her exuded a calm and caring professionalism. After a previous difficult labour and emergency Caesarian Section at another hospital this was what we all needed. Thank you x

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Maureen gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cracking service!

Attended fracture clinic today, smooth book in procedure, called within minutes, Efficient, smiling friendly staff. Seen by consultant quickly. Temporary cast removed, decision on fracture or no fracture made.....fracture :( Weight bearing boot fitted & instructions on how to remove & fit myself in a easy to understand way. Appointment made for 3 weeks time..................All within 45mins. Way to go Hinchingbrooke. Well done, "cracking" service, you should all be proud of the service you deliver 5*****.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 01 August 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Linda Vincent gave General Surgery at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Operation in Treatment Centre

On Tuesday 8 July 2014 I had an operation to remove my gallbladder and would like to thank all your staff involved for the great treatment I received.

I was quite anxious about having my first general anaesthetic for 22 years as during my previous operation I had a cardiac arrest. I explained this to the anaesthetist, prior to the operation and he sent me for tests on my heart and informed me that everything should be alright this time.

On the day of my operation I was very unhappy to be told that this anaesthetist was unwell and another anaesthetist would be standing in for him. The anaesthetist visited me in my cabin and set about reassuring me that all would be well. I feel that he certainly went the extra mile for me and I arrived in theatre feeling very relaxed. Everything went very well and he even visited me after the operation to say goodbye.

Thank you all for making me feeling like a person and not just another NHS number.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 16 July 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 17 July 2014

Many thanks for providing feedback on your recent procedure at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust. We place great importance on putting our patients first and so it's really nice to hear that you had such a postive and reassuring experience. We will share your comments with the team. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

ken oryan gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

operation in treatment centre

short wait on list, phone call giving appointment sooner than anticipated. Easy check in and quickly seen by admissions nurse and checked over and necessary forms dealt with speedily. Shown to cabin told what would occur and left to change into gown. Surgeon appeared next, checked who I was and checked with me what I was undergoing and answered any questions. Lay on bed for a while then into theatre, told again what would happen, it happened and all was well, home in time for tea. Excellent all round

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't come here

My 2 year old son was inconsolable with pain. After a doctors visit advising I take him to hospital, we were waiting from 10 am till 5pm until the doctors, (one of which tried to send us home!) decided a urine test was needed! All that I could do from my home doctors in town. Very slow, not concerned about his red rash all over him after telling three doctors.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 08 July 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 15 July 2014

We are sorry to hear that your experience of services was unsatisfactory. Children's services on the Hinchingbrooke Hospital site are provided by Cambridgeshire Community Services (CCS) NHS Trust. CCS would welcome you contacting their Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so they can investigate your concerns further. Please contact PALS on 0800 013 2511 or 01480 355 184 or email ccs-tr.pals@nhs.net

Alternatively you can write to the PALS team at Freepost: RTGA-CTLG-SCKH, PALS & Patient Experience Team, Unit 3, The Meadows, Meadow Lane, St Ives, Cambs, PE27 4LG

geoffrey norman gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Only went in for one night for observation

Only spent one night in hospital, admitted to A & E seen within ten minutes, x-rayed and seen by consultant all within 1 hour which I think is excellent. Nurses and other staff were first class, in my words ' home from home'

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 04 July 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

Many thanks for providing feedback on your recent experience of using A&E at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust as a daycare patient. We will share your comments with the team. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Services Team on 01480 428964 or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.