Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Telephone: 01480 416 416
Address: Hinchingbrooke Park, Hinchingbrooke, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT
Website: http://www.hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Weekend care

I've considerable concern about the level of care at the weekend, especially at night. Over a Sunday night/Monday morning I was unable to get any doctor at all to come and provide treatment for a developing infection. I had to wait for over 13 hours before a doctor could be found. Even then she made no apology or expressed concern for what had happened. I'd have been better to have discharged myself and gone down to A&E. This can't be the way a hospital is meant to be run. I would think very carefully before being in this hospital over a weekend. I should also add more positively that the nursing and catering staff were of a high standard and are doing there best. I suspect the problems lie elsewhere in the hospital hierarchy.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 08 April 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Orthopaedics

There was lack of communication in this department. I was told to attend at 12 midday for 4hrs for a Carpel Tunnel operation. I was not told that the bulk of that time would be waiting to have my operation which did not take place until 2.45pm. Despite being very apprehensive, no-one put my mind at ease and I waited alone for this time. I asked for a certificate for work and it was left for the doctor to sign but when I went to collect it at discharge, it had disappeared and another had to be written. During the surgery, the doctor did explain clearly the procedure but the nurse, who wasn't english, stood by my side and did very little to calm my nerves or take my mind off my worries. After the operation, I had to continuously ask what the next step was and if I could leave. The sister who discharged me gave me conflicting information to the doctor's and I was told he hadn't written me up for this. Then a nurse arrived with my notes! I was being discharged with someone elses! The excuse was how busy she had been. The new nurse then told me I would return to the hospital for the stitches to be removed and a follow up appointment. A phone call from the hospital after I had arrived home explained that this was completely wrong - my stitches were to be taken out at the local surgery and there was no follow up appointment. I was very confused and wonder how I am supposed to know about having the other hand operated on? Doesn't really matter as I do not wish to return to Hinchinbrooke for this.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 26 March 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

dont bother

i am staying with family in Huntingdon.. having dialed 111 advice given find a walk in centre or out of hours gp service... so off to Hichingbrooke i go.. and thats where it went wrong.. told out of hours gp services are for local people and as its was just an abcess( that had filled my cheek to the size of a golf ball) its was not life threating enough to vist A&E.. truth is if not treated it came be life treating and the size of a golf ball is need to be treated . nearly closed eye.... oh well if it goes bad i can always seek legal advice.. on my way back to essex now thanks Hinchingbrooke for treating me like a second class citizen

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 08 March 2014

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treated as an individual

My wife was triaged in the maternity suit, the staff were attentive to us both, explained everything in detail. The staff were always polite, knowledgeable and helpful, I would recommend the park to anyone.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 28 February 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Lilian Carris gave Respiratory Medicine at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Walnut Ward

I was admitted on 17th February with severe asthma, I was looked after and cared for by everyone, I can only praise them all. The food was excellent, and plenty of hot drinks on offer. Came home at 9pm on 24th February, the only complaint I have is that I had to wait about 5 hours for the prescription from the pharmacy.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 26 February 2014

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Don't go here if you're old

My 95 year old mother was treated appallingly here. Admitted by ambulance with a TIA already diagnosed by paramedics, they flatly denied that she'd had a stroke and came up with a wide range of alternative theories for her collapse. Her GP has since confirmed the paramedics' diagnosis and is at as much of a loss as we are at the doctors' refusal to acknowledge her condition.

As a result of her fall when she collapsed, she sustained a cut on her arm which the junior doctor clearly thought beneath him, slapping on a piece of gauze and anchoring it with a short piece of tape. Fortunately the wonderful A&E matron - the only person we encountered who inspired confidence - spent some time dressing it beautifully and clearly cared about how it healed.

The (correct) decision was made to discharge my mother and then we were kept waiting over an hour to have a cannula removed from her hand. Small wonder there was a waiting room full of people when we left as we had been unnecessarily occupying a cubicle for well over an hour.

This used to be one of the best A&E departments going, over performing on its four hour target and providing exceptional care. Sadly it seems those days have gone.

My abiding memory of our visit is the contemptuous attitude of the junior doctor who displayed breath taking lack of compassion for a confused old lady. It is to be hoped that senior doctors take him in hand and train him to do a better job.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 22 February 2014

michael smith gave Haematology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

recent visits to Hematology

over the last two months have attended Woodland Clinic and xray and scan departments for various tests, happy to say results not serious and now completed.
Would just like to say how well I was looked after by radiographers, nurses in all depts. and the doctor in clinic.
Things were explained well and reasons given. I`m sure you get your share of complaints but please accept my sincere thanks to all the staff. They all look very busy I must say but always looking to do a good job.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 21 February 2014

dis-interested, de-motivated medical staff

I was initially seen for a minor injury in A&E and told to return later for a check on dressings by the doctor. I returned as instructed and was told I should have gone to my GP but they would look at them anyway (triage sister). After 1:30hr I was called into the treatment area and then placed in a treatment cubical, a further 30 mins passed as the doctor told me a nurse would come - no nurse came. I then walked around looking for somebody to talk to and was pretty much ignored - nobody even stopped me to ask why a patient was simply walking about in a secured area. Eventually I spoke to a disaffected nurse who said I should go to my GP. At the time having sat there for 30 mins I had seen all patient movements and the department was not busy, I have seen many A&E depts. and I know what a busy A&E looks like. I required a quick simple check on my wounds but this was obviously too much work for somebody and classed as not their job. I could not have made a GP appointment in the timescale covered here and as a minor injury it did not preclude me from going to work, thus returning to A&E was an efficient option in all respects - except for the staff of Hinchingbrooke A&E.
Having waited 2 hrs I was effectively refused any care. I will drive that bit further in future to another A&E. Thoroughly disappointed and having spoke to work colleagues they are also of the same impression.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 21 February 2014

Disapointment!

I was advised to attend A&E by my GP with suspected concussion. The initial nurse assesment was quick, however the doctor did not listen to my symptoms, in fact at one point he walked off mid consultation. I have drugs I am sensitive too that result in seizures and even then I was still prescribed them. It took 3 hours before another doctor assesed me and they admitted me immediately.

Not only was I disappointed with the doctors care, staff did not get on and I could hear them disagreeing with each other. I could also hear the way they spoke to other patients, which I did not feel was appropriate.

I recognise A&E departments are busy places, however this particular evening it was relatively quiet. I will not be attending Hinchingbrooke A&E again and will advice my friends and family to seek medical attention at a different hospital.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 20 February 2014

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful staff and care

I gave birth to my first child at a different hospital, there was no comparison in the level of care and support I received. The staff were amazing not just in the level of care I received but in the way I was treated. From providing us with tea and toast immediately after the birth, Talking to us like adults and giving us respect, and on the one occasion I did need to ring the alarm someone arrived within seconds (at PCH I had waited over an hour on one occasion before giving up). Overall this made the experience of giving birth as wonderful as I imagined it should be, rather than the horror story I had from my first child, with staff ignoring my requests and neglecting my needs. I cannot imagine a better hospital or nicer staff.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 15 February 2014