Hinchingbrooke Hospital

01480 416 416 Hinchingbrooke Park , Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E with my 10 year old

Hello Hinchingbrooke A&E and Holly Ward

I wanted to drop you a line to say "thank you" and how grateful I was for your teams' care, kindness and good humour.

I brought my 10 year old in on Monday 1st August to A&E at about 8pm with abdominal pain - we were concerned that it could be appendicitis. We were seen by the A&E nurse who triaged us and then, when we went through to A&E, by a paediatric nurse, A&E doctor and two paediatric doctors. We were then admitted to Holly Ward where bloods were taken by the paediatric doctor and a new nurse. We were also offered a bed for the night. Later when we chose to go home at 2am your receptionist and nurses helped us call a taxi.

Throughout our experience everyone we met was unfailingly kind, knowledgeable and so reassuring. I felt that we were safe and in good hands. You should be very proud of your team as everyone from the receptionist to the doctors really went out of their way to be kind and to help us. My 10 year old is even more certain of her ambition to work in a hospital!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 09 August 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review - we are delighted to hear that the staff who looked after you were so helpful and caring and it's great to hear that you were left feeling reassured throughout. We have passed on your thanks to our A&E team, as well our colleagues in Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust who run Holly Ward.

Thank you again for your kind words - we hope that your 10 year old is now feeling much better, and look forward to welcoming a potential new recruit in the future!

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible hospital

Very unhelpful staff that don't have a clue what they are doing. Messed me about for days regarding a very serious matter. Avoid at all costs

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 12 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 12 August 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can look into this in more detail for you?

Pauley811 gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb A&E Care

Despite a long wait and a packed Saturday night in A&E, I have to congratulate all of the staff I came into contact with; the person on reception, the nurses, the doctor, the radiographer and the porter. All were calm, friendly, professional and above all very understanding. They were rushed off their feet but found the time to put every patient at their ease. Well done A&E.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 14 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 14 August 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review. We will pass on your thanks to the staff involved who'll be delighted to hear your positive feedback. We hope that you are feeling much better now and wish you well for the future.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Shocking, dangerous level of care

Following efficient appropriate and helpful care in A andE and transfer to ward , the total lack of care on the ward was a surprise. Communication between staff was non-exist, resulting in either several people coming to do the task, or noone coming. Medication was forgottenand/or delayed. Staff clearly fed up and hate the job and the people they are suposed to be looking after. Vvery sad to see the standard of care in this hospital has fallen so low.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 05 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 08 August 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can investigate further?

No thanks!

Myself and my newborn baby had been involved in a minor car accident. I was advised by the police to have her checked over at the hospital. The took us to the hospital as ambulance did not come to the scene for over an hour. We arrived at the hospital and my daughter was seen for triage. This involved a nurse asking me questions about the accident and if there were any changes with my daughter. We were then called into a room (16) where we had to wait even longer for someone. My partner and myself were concerned as my daughter always gets sleepy in the evening and they wouldn't be able to assess her as well, we also didn't plan the accident so didn't have nappies or milk (I am breastfeeding but low supply) we could see my daughter was getting dehydrated and we needed to get her home to feed her. My partner explained this to the nurse and theeir response was "all the doctors are gone so I'll try my best" they were uninterested in what my partner was saying! When she was finally checked it took 5 mins to confirm all was okay. It took 3 hours for someone to actually check my newborn baby she could have had mark under her clothes that no one had checked. Also I was very shocked following the accident and unable to change my baby. There is only baby changing in the women's toilet so my partner had to do it in there. The receptionist did give us a nappy and me a water.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 19 August 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can look into this in more detail for you?

Mrs DM Kenny gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to everyone on Labour and Lilac Ward!

We wanted to say thank you to all the wonderful people that were involved in the safe delivery of our son born on Weds 27th July 2016 by elective caesarean.

When we arrived on the Labour Ward I couldn't have asked for two kinder midwives to be taking care of us throughout. They were cheerful, smiling and even excited for us. This helped me stay calm. We were asked about whether we would like to see our son being born - not something we had considered but was so glad we did. Photographs were taken which we will treasure forever. We were given the chance to ask any questions and were made to feel at ease.
I would also like to add, that when my husband and I came to our consultant appointment with the obstetrician regarding the birth of our second baby (following previous emergency Caesarean section), I felt that we were given all the information but I was left to make my own choice which was lovely as I didn't feel swayed or encouraged to try for a VBAC. I booked my elective caesarean on that day which helped me prepare myself mentally for the birth. It turned out that my baby was breach so it was unlikely that I would have been able to have him naturally anyway.

In theatre everyone was wonderful. The team worked together brilliantly and although such serious work was taking place, the positive and friendly approach of everyone helped me to relax. The midwives were supportive, comforting and reassuring theoughoiut. There was a member of staff who was working alongside the anaesthetist who explained how the spinal block works by numbing pain but not touch. Although this was my second c-section having not laboured beforehand this time, I was a lot more aware of what was going on and their kind words and explanation helped to reassure me that what I was feeling was normal.

Thank you to everyone who helped us before, during and after his birth, not forgetting the people we met on MDAU who we met during pregnancy. The level of care we received was exceptional. The work you all do is amazing and we will be forever thankful to you all for safely delivering our baby boy. We could not thank all of these wonderful people enough. I would recommend this hospital without hesitation.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 06 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 08 August 2016

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We're delighted to hear that you were made to feel so at ease and in control of your birth experience. We have passed on your thanks to the midwifery team and hope that you and your beautiful baby boy are doing well.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Consent overruled

I gave birth to my son in July at Hitchinbrooke hospital. My birth plan was to have minimal medical and surgical interventions as I wanted to have minimal aftercare and be able to return home as quickly as possible. I have had a previous traumatic experience with hospital care and with this in mind I wanted to make the stay as short as possible. unfortunately this didn't go to plan and I ended up having to stay in hospital for a week as my son needed extra care and I was admitted for surgery.

I took this on the chin, as I was concious the most important thing was my sons wellbeing - if only the hospital had felt the same way. There were a number of trainee nurses on the ward, and on one notable occasion I asked for a fully trained staff member to take over my sons care as the individual in question had indicated that they didn't know what they were doing when prepping my newborn son for blue light treatment. When I asked them to stop, they refused, my partner also stepped in to ask that we have another member of staff, we were both ignored - in retaliation I shouted a singular profanity ("for god sake" exchange a word) in their direction indicating just how frustrated i was with the situation (they had not listened to my direct firm requests for them to stop and my patience snapped). When a senior midwife came on scene my partner explained that I was extremely shaken at having the consent for my son completely overruled - the senior midwife chose to focus on the single profanity I had used and not the fundamental mater of a trainee incorrectly carrying out a procedure and ignoring our requests for another member of staff. I feel the consent for my sons care was completely ignored. I was spoken down to as though I was 9 years old and had used a naughty word in the playground - it was beyond patronising and evaded the actual issue of my sons care.

In the night that followed I was ignored by the staff when I highlighted a fault in the equipment (the heated waterbed my son was placed on while having his light therapy had sprung a leak and he was getting cold and wet) I had clearly been labelled as uncooperative by the midwives on shift and I was treated as such, so they ignored my complaint and did not change the equipment. As a result I removed my son from the faulty equipment and held him in my arms under the light all night to prevent him from getting cold and wet (and potentially infected).

The midwives in question were more concerned with themselves than the care of a new born child. I find this unacceptable. I have been looking for the correct details to make a formal complaint however the hospital website unsurprisingly do not make this readily available. This is just a small snippet of this incident which left me feeling vulnerable, belittled, and incredibly stressed. 5 weeks on, I am still playing the incident over in my head and I am still seething from the unprofessional manner in which my son and I were treated.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 17 August 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 17 August 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience and that you could not find the details for our complaints team, which you will find in the Useful Links section of our website. We hope you and your son are doing well, but please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or email hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can look into this in more detail for you?

cate gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Phlebotomists

My daughter was sent to have a blood test from her out patients appointment today. During the blood test she unexpectedly fainted. I was amazed at how well the Phlebotomy team dealt with the situation all three of them working to make sure she was ok. One of the very kind staff collected a wheelchair so I could take my daughter out, another sacrificed their Kit-Kat to help my daughter recover. I will always be extremely grateful to them for the kindness and compassion they showed today.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 20 July 2016

Dear Cate, thank you very much for your kind words, which we have passed on to our phlebotomists at The Pathology Partnership, who run this service on our behalf. We hope your daughter recovered quickly and that she enjoyed the Kit Kat!

Ray Yerby gave Ophthalmology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding Emergency Treatment

i would like to thank all the staff in the Emergency Eye Clinic for the treatment I received over the period 22 Apr - 20 Jul 2016. At all times I was kept fully informed of the actions being taken, the probable cause of the problem and the likely outcome. I have now fully recovered and during my treatment always felt that I was receiving the best possible care.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 20 July 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 21 July 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such fantastic feedback. We will pass on your thanks to the Eye Clinic team and hope that you're now well on the road to recovery.

A & E - The most appalling experience ever in an A & E

I have never known anything like it before. 8 hours for elderly and vulnerable patients - lying on trolley's first in one corridor then in another corridor in what were quite cold conditions. Not even offered a blanket or a hot drink. No privacy, no respect, no dignity. I was appalled. Some of the staff were lovely but others were officious. I had to stand by and watch in horror as my family member 'suffered' in these terrible conditions as you really did not feel as if you could say anything without causing your family member to suffer more. A lot of the staff had absolutely no urgency in their movement whatsoever.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 23 July 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 25 July 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. If you feel able to, please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net - we would like to be able to discuss this in more detail with you so that we can investigate what happened. In the mean time we have also forwarded your feedback to our Emergency Department's senior team so that they are aware.