Hinchingbrooke Hospital

01480 416 416 Hinchingbrooke Park , Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulance response time

Hospital was absolutely wonderfull but as we live up north we were staying at the Marriott hotel which is only four minutes away from hospital, on Sunday 15/1/17 we were about to leave hotel resteraunt when a member of staff collapsed infront of us, an ambulance was called whilst I put her into recovery position and checked her vitals, at 9.10am and it did not arrive until 9.40 am, all I would like to say is that I was disgusteded at the length of time it took for the ambulance response to arrive and never done a hand over with me or did they ask any questions as to how long the young lady was unconscious or was the young lady responsive before they were saying get her to sit up, as we were hear to visit a relative I found hospital and staff excellant but ambulance response terrible

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 January 2017

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

help with our IVF referral

Staff at all levels were very helpfull dealling with our IVF referral .They were patient,prompt,well organised and efficient .Thanks to their professionalism we have made another step forward to the dreamed family ,although we still have a long way to go .We would highly recommend to all our friends and family.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your kind feedback - delighted to hear that we were able to help you along the way, and wish you luck with the rest of your journey. If you do have any further questions or queries, please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful maternity care

Having moved to the area at 38 weeks pregnant I was keen to stay at a previous hospital where I had given birth previously, with support and encouragement from wonderful community midwives I decided to book into hitchingbrooke at almost full term. Apprehensive and unsure of the hospital, but assured that the care would be the best. I was very lucky to find this to be true, arriving on labour ward at midnight and giving birth to my baby by half 5, the care throughout was nothing but exceptional. Our midwife was kind, caring and reassuring, everything you would want from someone in a intense situation. The midwife gave us exactly what was needed and never left our sides. When I asked if they had even had a break that night, the midwife replied no and often they didn't, for how could they leave someone when they needed them. One of the kindest people and a true credit to the NHS. Post natal care was also to be highly rated and a much better experience than at previous hospital. Would highly recommend labour ward and it's amazing midwives.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such kind feedback. We will pass on your thanks to the Labour Ward team who will be delighted to hear from you. We hope that you and your baby are doing well and send our very Best Wishes to you both.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A&E not great at all!!

After waiting over an hour for an ambulance, that NHS 111 told me they were sending, my partner decided to take me there himself, I had done something to my back and could hardly get up or walk! Anyway upon arrival to A&E at 9.30pm the helpful friendly receptionist told us there would be about a 2 hour wait and to take a seat, it wasn't overly busy about 5 other people waiting. I was assessed by a friendly health care assistant who provided me with some pain relief which I was most grateful for, the area I was assessed in was the actual reception desk so everyone else could hear what was being said and you had no privacy whatsoever! Anyway the seats are hard and wooden and after about 10 mins of sitting on them I was in agony because of my back, my partner asked if there was any way of getting me more comfy, getting a pillow, softer chair, trolly etc but we were told no and I would have to grin and bear it, I was given more pain relief about an hour after first lot, but by then I was in tears as really couldn't stand the pain, people that had walked in after us were being seen before us and others that had been there longer than us! Even other patients were telling the receptionist I was in tears and in agony as there could obviously hear me crying etc. After 3 and a half hours of tears and agony I was finally called and took into side room 15, and put on a trolley. About 10 mins passed and a doctor came in, told me the doctor was going to arrange an x ray and get some more pain relief, about 45 mins later the pain relief turned up! Which by then my partner and I had fallen asleep, I was exhausted from crying in pain! It then took another 45 mins for me to be taken down for an x ray, don't know why this couldn't of been done when I was first assessed upon arrival! Anyway after x ray doctor came in and said there are no broken bones and to rest and keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if it doesn't improve go to my own doctor!! 6 hours of complete waste of time, I wasn't given a prescription or any painkillers to take home with me, and at 4am it's very difficult to find a chemist open! I had to wait until the morning to get codine etc as normally painkillers were not touching the pain, so I went home still in agony as by now the painkillers I had been given were wearing off and spent what was left of the night still in agony! I asked the doctor what they though it maybe and was told difficult to say but nothing broken!! Really not very helpful at all, very disappointing and waste of time, as I saw my doctor the following morning and they gave me a lot more help and information on what causes back pain and little exercises to help and also a prescription for codine and anti inflamatories, which he said I should of had from the hospital!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience. Please remember that our Accident and Emergency Department is intended for life-threatening or critical emergencies, as is the Ambulance Service.

Patients who attend A&E are seen in order of their immediate clinical needs, and not according to the order of check in - as such, you are likely to wait much longer for a complaint that isn't life threatening.

More information on choosing the right NHS service is available here:

Your GP will also be able to give you some useful advice on how to manage back pain.

We hope that you are feeling better now, and if you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Andrew bush gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Spent 11 days in mssu unit.. Although I had 6 different diagnosis, I cannot fault the nursing staff. You can see how stretched the nhs is but the care from staff was brilliant... Especially two particular staff nurses.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 14 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 09 January 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback. It is great to hear that the care you received was such a high standard and that our nursing team looked after you so well. We hope that you are now well on the road to recovery.

Alan J Buck gave Urology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Disabled Discrimination

According to the information supplied on the Hinchingbrooke Website parking is free in all marked disbled parking bays. When visiting the Treatment Centre I had no alternative but to use the park controlled by a barrier and I parked in a deiginated disabled bay. When exiting the park I was forced to pay £2.90 as no information was given as to how to aviod the charge. I contacted Hinchingbrooke and was told all parking was now chargeable even for the disabled as this made it much fairer for everybody. This I totally disagree with as this is blatent discrimination against the disabled who have enough problems to cope with without being forced to pay for parking.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 09 January 2017

Thank you for your feedback - we are sorry to hear that you feel you were not given the necessary information / guidance re. our parking policy. Full information is available on our website here: http://www.hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/parking/ and you may be entitled to claim back the costs of your parking if you are on a low income or receiving certain benefits or allowances.

If you do need any further assistance please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Ollie gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional & Outstanding Labour

My wife & I would love to pass our thanks to all on the Hinchingbrooke Labour Ward. For the majority of the time we were being cared for by the same two midwives - through out our stay they were compassionate, and provided a high-quality care of service. Having had our first one in a busy city centre ward, this felt like staying a luxury hotel. We especially enjoyed being left with our new one for 4/5 hours - which was a great bonding moment. Our thanks also extends to everyone else who cared for us during our stay. Special mention must also go to our community mid-wife who provide some excellent midwifery support. thanks very much. Merry Christmas

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 17 December 2016

Anonymous reviewed Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Understaffed ATSU

After spending 10 days in ATSU with a water infection, my 81 year old mother was discharged on Friday 16/12/16 at 7pm with a catheter and a couple of pages with instructions on how to change the bag. She has never had one before, no visits were in place for over the weekend, she didn't even get a phone call to see how she was coping, she has to wait until Monday morning when she can ring her GP surgery to see what, if anything, has been put in place. She was unsteady on her feet and had been using a walking frame while in hospital but she wasn't offered one to take home. She feels the ATSU is dangerously understaffed and although the nursing staff do their best they are fighting a losing battle. She has vowed never to return and hopes no-one else has to suffer the complete disregard she did once she was discharged! Apparently the unit hasn't had a manager for 3 months and there is a complete breakdown of communication. She had been in Papworth the week before having a lobectomy and couldn't praise the treatment she received highly enough, a complete contrast to Hinchingbrooke. Very dissatisfied!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 18 December 2016

Anonymous reviewed Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Your website is unhelpful

A friend called for advice as he has been asked by GP to have chest X-ray, checked website for opening times, where is radiology, etc. Apparantly it doesn't exist

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 21 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Samantha Critchley gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service and care

I was referred to the ENT department by my doctor on a Monday morning.. The doctor/s examined me thoroughly and explained every step to me clearly and sensitively. It became apparent that I needed an emergency operation on my ear, to which the doctor put all their efforts into finding me an available bed for this to take place. Wednesday appeared to be the earliest, but the doctor persisted and managed to find a bed for a same day operation... I got to meet the anaesthetist prior to surgery whom explained the procedure and answered any questions that I had... The nurses on Daisy ward were very caring and supportive... My ENT doctor carried out the operation, as I had been examined at the beginning of the day, I felt I was in good hands... I would like to thank all the doctors and nurses for all their care and immediate attention, true professionals

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 22 December 2016