Hinchingbrooke Hospital

01480 416 416 Hinchingbrooke Park , Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT

Candy gave Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Knee surgery in day unit

I attended the day surgery unit for arthroscopic procedure on my knee. I was admitted to my little cabin at 7.30am. I was assessed by the nurse.then seen by the physiotherapist. Anaesthetist and finally the consultant.all were very nice and explained things in much detail. I was told that I was 3rd on the list which would most likely be early afternoon. I was very dismayed at this approximate time as I'd eaten nothing from 12 midnight and had only been allowed water up.til 7am.so by lunch time I was extremely thirsty and starting to get headache from lack of food. At 1 o clock I enquired as to any news about me going to theatre to be told I would be called when I was ready. Eventually they came to fetch me to theatre at 2.45.once I was taken into theatre they looked after me impeccably.I was taken.back to.my.cabin after procedure and looked after very well.given water tea and asked if I'd prefer sandwich or biscuit. I was then given all my checks and discharge papers and allowed home. Overall the care was second to none.one thing I would like to ask.if the staff know that patients are not going to be going to surgery until the afternoon then why bring them in an 7.30am.this seems a little excessive and caused me much anxiety and parthere much anxiety and stress when this could have been avoided by either allowing him to stay until I went down or by having me come into the hospital slightly later.I'm sure all patients would appreciate a review if these procedures and would be less stressful for all those involved.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Mrs rutland gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely experience

I had an out patient appointment at this hospital yesterday which I am sorry to say I had never heard of.i live in Rutland and needless to say very apprehensive until I walked in the main door.From the staff member on reception to the surgeon who performed my procedure I was very impressed everyone was really nice and friendly. The whole experience was first class.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E and children's assessment ward

I would like to say what excellent service my Son received yesterday. He was quickly booked in and seen in A&E, who then sent him up for a CT scan and assessed on the children's ward. We was kept informed and reassured at all times, all the staff where friendly and curtious throughout and even supplied him with a meal. We was there nearly 5 hours which wasn't a problem as I left reassured he had been throughly checked over. Thank you.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology outpatients 5* service, thank you x

Been to see a rheumatology nurse today after getting into trouble after a simple virus. Had to stop medications which has sent me into a flare up of symptoms.
From the moment I called the advice line four days ago to treatment today to dampen down inflammation, the service was brilliant.
Had my questions answered and treatment delivered with care and compassion. A brilliant service and I am so thankful for you! You've helped me to remain at work, to care for my children and helped with my symptoms. Things most people take for granted, I am so thankful. I owe hinchingbrooke my life.

5* service.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulance response time

Hospital was absolutely wonderfull but as we live up north we were staying at the Marriott hotel which is only four minutes away from hospital, on Sunday 15/1/17 we were about to leave hotel resteraunt when a member of staff collapsed infront of us, an ambulance was called whilst I put her into recovery position and checked her vitals, at 9.10am and it did not arrive until 9.40 am, all I would like to say is that I was disgusteded at the length of time it took for the ambulance response to arrive and never done a hand over with me or did they ask any questions as to how long the young lady was unconscious or was the young lady responsive before they were saying get her to sit up, as we were hear to visit a relative I found hospital and staff excellant but ambulance response terrible

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 January 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 27 January 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about our hospital. Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Ambulance response times / service. Our colleagues in the Ambulance Service, like many across the country, are under extreme pressure at the moment which may explain the delay you experienced, but we will of course pass on your feedback.

Freja Gregory gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The children's nurse from a and e

I honestly have the upmost respect for all the staff work in the busy a and e here. When I came to a and e Wednesday afternoon, I was in pieces the assessment nurse was so lovely and made me feel so relaxed, and talked me through everything. After settling me down in a room and make sure I was okay, a lovely nurse came and tried to place a canular in my arm unfortunately they didn't manage to finish but they were so polite and did really well in the end, in the mean time my partner had gone outside and fainted he was looked after very lovely and wants to thank you all too. The children's nurse who then took over, I honestly don't think I would have been able to make it to the end of my visit without them, they stayed with me throughout most of my visit and honestly felt so safe when they were with me. Over all I just wanted to say that all the staff I encountered we so lovely and kept me calm in what could have been an awful situation. Many thanks to everyone involved in my care

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 27 January 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 30 January 2017

Thank you very much for your kind feedback - we do appreciate you taking the time to get in touch, and will pass on your thanks to the team who looked after you. We hope that you and your partner are feeling much better now.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling maternity service

My wife and I attended my maternity appointments on the 26.1.17, apart from the receptionist who was very nice, the actual medical professionals behaved disgustingly, they could do with taking lessons from the receptionist. Disrespectful, rude, unhelpful would be an understatement. The first midwife we saw ignored us throughout the scan, they didn't even say hello or acknowledge us when we walked through the door. Three times we asked if our baby was okay as the midwife was giving us no information and three times the midwife ignored us, despite me being obviously worried as there was no answer from them. The midwife refused to acknowledge my wife and referred to her as a "carrier piegon" as I was unable to carry my own notes due to being on crutches. I then had to walk over to the other side of the hospital for the consultants appointment, which when your heavily pregnant and on crutches is no easy task. We get there and a health care assistant asks us to come through, the health care assistant can see I'm struggling but states, "the room is right down the end", no consideration, apology or even to have some empathy for how much pain I'm in. When we get in the room the health care assistant asks me "who's this", I presumed they were taking about my wife, so I replied "my wife", to which the health care assistant proceeds rudely with "I'm only asking" to which I stated "and I'm only answering", it further goes on with the health care assistant telling me that I'm using a "tone" with them, to which again I state confused, "I was just answering your question." The health care assistant then continues to inform they don't like my tone, which the health care assistant clearly was not letting go of. In order to get through the appointment I simply put "let's just move on, as I wasn't giving you any tone, she is my wife and there's nothing more I can say". The health care assistant then replies with "ok, normal", in a very derogatory manner. When I enquired to what they meant by normal, the health care assistant kept coming back to my tone, they refused to answer my question and appeared to pull faces by my challenge put to them in respects to their derogatory manner and whether the health care assistant's negative behaviour was aimed at us being a same sex married couple? The health care assistant refused to answer. Next I see the consultant who calls me miss, I have continuously asked the hospital to change my title to Mrs and have been ignored every time, I've asked if they refuse to change it then just call me by my first name, both requests ignored and dismissed. My wife is continually ignored during all of my antenatal care for the past 6 and a half months, we are both parents to our baby and have come to the conclusion that this on some level is down to a lack of education and ignorance on the part of some of these professionals, as we are a same sex couple. I will be taking my complaint further, as the treatment we received was appalling.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 29 January 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 30 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you in person so that we can address your concerns. Heather Gallagher, our Head of Midwifery is keen to speak to you, and has asked that if you feel able to do so, you contact her directly using the details below:

Heather Gallagher
Head of Midwifery
01480 416416 Ext 3560

Work Mobile: 07703 380895
Email: h.gallagher@nhs.net

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 3 stars

After care an issue.

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy on 25.01.17 in the treatment centre, admission to the ward was excellent, staff on Daisy were kind and caring, the anaesthetic staff were very calm and put me at ease initial post op care was good pain well controlled consultant explained the procedure and gave post op instructions. However unfortunately i went into urinary retention and was discharged the next day with an indwelling urinary catheter, and told that the urogynae specialist nurse would contact me to arrange an appointment to return to have the catheter removed. They duly did but unfortunately they were on leave so advised me to return to Daisy on monday 30.1.17 which i did they were not expecting me and I had to wait for a bed i was very uncomfortable by this time, catheter duly removed, i was sent home with the words you cant come back here you will need to go to A&E if you have problems, i subsequently developed a UTI and went to OOH for assessment and antibiotics, as a HCP i do think that sending post op complications to A&E is not the best place when it is under such pressure. The care I received when all was going to plan was excellent but when complications occur the support mechanism could be more robust. It was all quite overwhelming for me who has worked in health care for many years but for someone who has no knowledge of the NHS it may well be very frightening.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 03 February 2017

Thank you for your very comprehensive feedback - we are very pleased to hear that the initial care you received was of a good standard. It's really disappointing to read about the issues you experienced with your follow-up care, and we are very sorry to hear about this. Please rest assured that we will pass on your feedback to the team involved so that they can review what happened.

If you would like to discuss your concerns in more details please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

We hope that you are well on the road to recovery now, and thanks again for taking the time to leave a review.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care before and after birth

My husband and I can't praise the staff in the day assessment unit, maternity and labour wars enough. I was admitted due to feeling no baby movement and the staff did everything they could to reassure me and support us.every shift change meant some new faces, but all were warm, friendly and caring. Post natally again they were fabulous on lilac ward. Coming to help with smallest thing and really supportive when my baby ended up in special care. What could have been a very stressful time wasn't.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 25 January 2017

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 30 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review of the service you experienced from our Maternity Team. We are delighted to hear from you and will of course pass on your thanks to the team. We hope that you, your husband and baby are all doing well and send you our very best wishes for the future.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

help with our IVF referral

Staff at all levels were very helpfull dealling with our IVF referral .They were patient,prompt,well organised and efficient .Thanks to their professionalism we have made another step forward to the dreamed family ,although we still have a long way to go .We would highly recommend to all our friends and family.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 13 December 2016

Thank you for your kind feedback - delighted to hear that we were able to help you along the way, and wish you luck with the rest of your journey. If you do have any further questions or queries, please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.