Hinchingbrooke Hospital

01480 416 416 Hinchingbrooke Park , Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 6NT

Anonymous gave Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dont fall ill at the weekend!

I was refered to A&E by my GP, with severe pain in my right sight, he believed it was a gall bladder issue and would require antibiotics at hospital.
Friday - Arrived at A&E , very friendly staff and seen fairly quickly, decided yes i needed intravenous antibiotics and that an ultra sound would be required to determine if indeed it was gallbladder. Shown to cubicle, member of staff turned up, in hospital uniform, proceded to call me luv, put id band on me, didnt introduce themselves, moaned that they had 4 people to look after, and wandered of again! Canulla required, explained i had bad veins, they took one look, decided nope not doing it and went again! Meanwhile friendly porter came along and took me for a chest x-ray. Eventually a very friendly member of staff came and put my cannula in wihout problem! Moved to Juniper ward - the care received on this ward was very up and down, a couple of nurses took time to sit and take time when doing obs, pain relief etc, however the majority didnt tell you what was going, no introduction of doctors, consultants etc coming to see you, and despite asking for pain relief this was forgotten numerous times, along with blankets as very cold! Cannula not flushed before antibiotics, a 20 min drip ended up taking 5 hours! Oh and the ultra sound that A&E requested, not over the weekend, eventually Monday morning, carried out ! So many other issues and not enough space to write! One of the main things is the lack of communication, between staff and patients, just felt being treated as a thing and not a person. We will be taking things further and wheels are already in motion! I need to go back for further tests, however currently dont feel happy for obvious reasons!

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 17 March 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't as consistent as you would have liked and hope you are feeling much better. We know you are already talking to people here, but if you need any further assistance, please feel free to get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Mik Mussett reviewed Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Left my specs in the Compass Costa Coffee restaurant, only realised on arriving home, rang Hinchingbrooke Main Entrance reception, whom transferred me direct to Costa who advised me a pair of specs that matched mine had been handed in and they would post them on to me directly, and would not accept the £ 50 return reward I offered as it was against company policy.

Thank you sincerely for your honesty and generosity

Mike Mussett

I can see clearly now

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 07 April 2016

Great news! So glad you have been reunited with your glasses - we will pass on your thanks to the Costa Team.

Frances reviewed Orthopaedics at Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Hip dislocation again!

I have had an ongoing problem with hip dislocation for a number of years and am well aware that I require revision surgery of the replacement hip. The most recent incident was on Thursday last at 8.00am. The help I received from paramedics, ambulance crew and Hinchingbrook Hospital was second to none. They were absolutely marvellous. Kind, considerate and efficient in every way. I cannot thank them or praise them enough for their help. Particular thanks to the paramedics and ambulance crew who arrived at my home so quickly and dispatched me to the hospital having administered all necessary pain control. I arrived at A&E very quickly and was looked after superbly. Very many thanks to the whole team, nurses, doctors and particularly the orthopaedic staff and consultant who cared for me so well.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 04 April 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 07 April 2016

Thank you for your kind feedback - it's great to hear that your experience was so positive and we will of course pass on your thanks to the staff who looked after you. Sending you our best wishes and hoping that you are now feeling much better.

K.Robinson gave General Surgery at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very disappointed

My partner went into Hinchingbrooke for a thyroglossal cyst extraction operation- a day surgery where he stayed one night in the hospital. During the stay he was put in a bed right next to the door and was kept awake by the noise in the corridor at night, which he was about a metre away from. Not only this, but on visiting him (having not been to the hospital before), I was directed to the correct ward after going to main reception (this was the short stay/daisy ward), and when I approached the daisy reception desk and asked for directions to my partner, I was told that his name was "not on their lists", which I find absolutely outrageous. The receptionist told me we would "ask around the nurses" to find where he was.
My partner had been incredibly ill-informed about the procedure he was due to have- he had not been told how long his operation would last, how long it would take for him to recover, whether or not he'd be able to eat afterwards, and he was allowed to go home the next day without even knowing how many stitches had been put in his neck- we are still not entirely sure today (a week later).
Last but not least, the wound (supposedly stitched up) began weeping and bleeding a few days after he arrived home. This continued through the weekend and he had to go the his GP, where he was told that there was a hole in the wound (which hadn't been touched since he'd left the hospital, as they told him not to remove the dressing). The wound is currently still weeping and bleeding, and he will be returning to the GP tomorrow, holding the fear of infection.
We are both very unimpressed with the quality of care in Hinchingbrooke and will be sure to go to a different hospital if he needs to return.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 04 April 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 07 April 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and hope that your husband is feeling better soon. If you feel able to do so, please can you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net so that we can discuss this with you in more detail.

steve111 reviewed Hinchingbrooke Hospital

re. e referral appointment. thoracic medicine service. I have been put on a...

re. e referral appointment. thoracic medicine service. I have been put on a waiting list to be given an appointment to get on a waiting list.
I was told on the phone that appointments dept hope to be able to phone me up this year and arrange an appointment.
How many other people are on a waiting list to get on a waiting list at this hospital?

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 11 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Hinchingbrooke Hospital has not yet replied.

Mily_bialko gave Maternity services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lilac and labour wards

I was sent over to hinchingbrooke because Addenbrookes were unable to allocate a space for us. Having never been to Hinch, i was worried that my birthing experience wouldn't be great. However, although the birth was a little traumatic, labour ward were absolutely fantastic. So reassuring and patient! I felt very at ease where i was and everyone looked after me, my baby and my family incredibly well. Lilac ward also provided an excellent service throughout our 6 day stay, we felt very supported!

I will recommend your maternity services indefinitely and would love to come back should i have another little one.

Thank you again to all the kind staff we met throughout our stay!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 26 March 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 29 March 2016

Thank you so much for your kind feedback and congratulations on the birth of your little one - we hope that you are both doing well.

We will pass on your thanks to our maternity team who will be delighted.

Best wishes.

sandi gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

We arrived at A&E on Sunday afternoon, it was already quite busy, my Husband had been told to go by the out of hours service. We were seen quite quickly maybe because they were concerned it was to do with his heart. A staff nurse saw us and they and the other nurses were so very helpful, friendly and reassuring. The doctor was equally so, given how the reports are usually so bad regarding the NHS I was apprehensive, but couldnt have been more wrong. Only problem was they only had one ECG machine working - not their fault but the fault of lack of funding.
Sandi

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 22 February 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 22 February 2016

Thank you so much for your kind comments, we will pass these on to the team in A&E. Please give our very best wishes to your husband - we hope he is well on the road to recovery.

Catherine gave General Surgery at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Scared patient from out of the area

When I was asked to go to Hinchingbrooke Hospital for my knee surgery I was scared with not live in the area, but nothing could be further from the truth. From the surgeon and their theatre team to the antithesis and well dressed porters, made me feel calm welcome and cared for.
Birch Ward was clean and welcoming, and after the surgery the nurses and physiotherapist staff were very friendly and caring. The care I was given I couldn't falt nothing was too much or too little for them, they were always there when you need them,with a nice friendly smile.
I was also amazed to see freshly made food and sandwiches prepared nicely on plates, instead of being in prepackaged and unappealing food.

So yes I would recommend Hinchingbrooke Hospital, and I would have surgery there again.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 28 February 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 29 February 2016

Thank you for your kind words, which we have forwarded on to the teams involved in your care, who will be much heartened by your compliment. We hope your knee is recovering well and wish you all the best for a healthy future.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Attended for an eye injury - Excellent service

I attended Hinchingbrooke Hospital accident and emergency department on Sunday afternoon after a contact lense broke into small pieces in my eye. Whilst the opticians refused to see me, I only waited 1 1/2 hours in accident and emergency to be seen by an eye specialist.

All the staff from reception to the specialist were professional. I was seen quickly, treated properly and with care. After having my eye checked, I was able to go home knowing there wasn't any damage.

I would highly recommend this hospital in the future.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 29 February 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 01 March 2016

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. We're really pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and will pass on your thanks to our A&E team.

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Hinchingbrooke Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Rheumatology department

Two years ago I changed hospitals as I felt my treatment was going nowhere. The rheumatology staff l have seen at Hinchingbrooke have been great. They changed my treatment and reduced the pain caused by arthritis. My only complaint is the wait which has been between 30 minutes and 2 hours.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 02 March 2016

Hinchingbrooke Hospital replied on 17 March 2016

We were really pleased to read your lovely review, but are sorry to hear about the variations you have experienced in waiting to be seen in the Treatment Centre on the days of your appointments. If you would like to talk to us about this, or need any further assistance, please feel free to get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01480 428964, or by email: hch-tr.pals@nhs.net