Royal Stoke University Hospital

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

terrible parking

The parking at the hospital is appalling. I had to drop off my husband for his appointment and spent half an hour driving around before I got a space. Other people had missed their appointments because of the parking issue. Going for an appointment can be worrying enough without this added stress. The waiting time in the hospital was delayed by 45 minutes which is not good when your appointment is early in the morning (9.50). However, staff were friendly, courteous and thorough.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

paula gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent staff and very clean hospital.

After unfortunately coming down stairs the quick way I visited A&E and was dreading it, I was pleasently surprised to find the place spotless, the staff, from reception the the final person who dealt with me, friendly, efficient and polite, thank you all for my experience being pleasent and although I'd rather not be back for a while you are all doing a great job and are a credit the the NHS Thankyou. Paula Wooldridge.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

caring compassionate proud to be part of the nhs myself

I had recently been under the fetal medicine department.
Unfortunately the outcome to my pregnancy was not what we hoped for.
I can not fault the amazing staff in the fetal medicine department, they were caring, compassionate, understanding, if it was not for them this whole experience we have had to go through would have been even more horrific.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 08 May 2015

Denice van der Putte gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you Poswillo ward - oral surgery

I had my initial appointment with the consultant regarding extraction of my wisdom teeth on 24th April 2015. The consultant and nurse we're lovely, involved me in the decision whether to perform the procedure under general or local anaesthetic. As I was having all 4 removed together we agreed general was the best option. Had the procedure 20 days (yes, that quick!) later on 14th May and I can't fault the staff at all. The anaesthetist and junior anaesthetist were absolutely fantastic. I came in with a migraine and the senior anaesthetist went out of their way to make my time there more comfortable. I just wish I could remember their name to thank them! The nurse was amazing, put me at ease immediately and all 3 recovery nurses took great care of me, reassuring me when I came round from the anaesthetic confused and upset. Both anaesthetists and the surgeon came to check on me after which I thought was lovely. I went in at 8.15 and left at 12.30 once they were sure I was recovered.

Very prompt, efficient, professional and lovely staff. The NHS should be proud to employ people like the ones I met. Thank you all for taking such good care of me! :)

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 18 May 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

The most awful hospital I have ever stepped into!

My experience of this hospital was absolutely terrible. Some of the nursing staff were very rude. The ward was dirty and the toilet area's disgusting. If you needed to call a nurse and you dared to press your call button you would be waiting a long time for any assistance.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 10 May 2015

Anonymous gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

car parking

Absolutely discusted d that I couldn't wait with my partner for her MRI scan because I couldn't find a parking place anywhere in or out of the hospital !!!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

care of my elderly mother

My elderly mother was admitted to ward 78 two weeks ago. she was very dehydrated and confused. She struggled to feed herself and was unable to walk. her bed table was not close enough for her to get her drink even if she was able. All the other ladies were in the same boat too. She fell out of bed and was found on the floor at 4am one morning by a member of staff. I told the staff that any decisions to be made regarding mum that i was to be notified. she suffered dehydration most of the time she was in that ward and only ate properly when assisted. she also tried to get out of her bed again she was then allocated a bed in a rehab unit in cobridge i was only told when she'd been taken there. this move i thought was totally unacceptable as i thought with her having symptoms of mild dementia (sticker on her wall chart) they wouldn't be able to cope with her. This proved right. when i received a phone call saying shed fallen and cut her head which needed stitches. (she'd been there less than 24 hours) they were not told of her dementia, high risk of falling by ward 78 at all. She is now back on feau dehydrated,confused,battered and bruised. The contact details given to 78 were not recorded correctly. i know staff are very busy but these ladies are frail,elderly and sick. they need to be fed and administerd fluids regularly. Not just have meals dumped in front of them and taken away 30 mins later without being touched.while i was visiting mum i helped other patients its very sad to see.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

Anonymous gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Surgery staff are amazing

Having surgery is never an easy thing, but the team who worked together for my procedure were top notch. They were friendly, empathetic, approachable, thorough & entirely efficient. My procedure was a success & has healed perfectly - a credit to their hard work.

The staff on the ward where I was waiting before & after were ok. It was hit & miss with how you were treated depending on who came to you, but if you brush off the miserable comments & faces (they are only human & working long hard shifts after all) the actual physical health care was spot on.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

z200 gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

happy with treatment

After months of pain I came to stoke to see the neurosurgen . All appiontments have gone ahead on time and appiontment was helpful the doctor listened to me .

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

Anonymous reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Hi As a retired nurse I have never witnessed such a scene, how the staff cope..

Hi
As a retired nurse I have never witnessed such a scene, how the staff cope under such stress and still do their job as efficiently as possible is beyond my comprehension.
There were patients queuing on trolleys throughout the corridors in the accident unit, of all ages and states of ill health.
I witnessed one abhorrent discussion in the corridor of a doctor berating a patient on how many tablets he'd taken and did he want to end his life, the poor man had a young boy with him who was having to translate all this to the elderly gentleman in the full view and hearing of most of the corridor. This upset me greatly there was no compassion in that doctor, I understand they were working under extreme pressure, but that was totally out of order..
I can only praise Nurse Liz who with her humour kept us entertained and me pain free, the security man with the pointy beard and the young lady doctor who's treatment and care was exemplary.
In my view the situations in all hospitals is horrendous and the pressure and stress the staff are under to care and treat as well as meeting targets is impossible.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 28 February 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 16 March 2015

Dear 'Dr Who'
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospital of North Midlands.
Please can you contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.
UHNM Communications Team.