Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Children's A&E

Just a few words to say thank you to the children's A&E, in particular the staff nurse, who was kind, considerate and understanding to the needs of my 15 year old son following a football injury, especially after a visit previously to the Haywood Walk in Centre and also to the consultant for a prompt turnaround back home. Thank you

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 05 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you for your lovely comment about our Children's A&E Department. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team who I know will be very pleased to receive it. I do hope your son is recovering well from his injury.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

john smith eg gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

shocking

This place is an absolute joke , no wonder the waiting times are so long , after a blood test was told to wait 2 mins , some one would show me the way out , after 40 mins I walked out , no one is interested , all they talk about between them selves is what they are going to eat , joke , joke joke

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 06 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 06 March 2017

I am sincerely sorry to read your comment about our hospital. As an organisation we continually strive to provide a high standard of care and also learn from areas where we did not get it right. As such, we would welcome the opportunity to investigate the issue you have raised. I would be very grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to provide further information around your experience. You can contact PALS on 01782 676450 or via email at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.
With kindest regards
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Rob Evans gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Dehydration - Lack of aftercare.

The care I received at the Hospital was on the one hand exemplary and on the other poor.
The surgical team were exceptional in the way things were explained to me and the actual procedure was conducted with efficiency and professionalism.

However once I was in recovery things began to slide.

Before my scheduled procedure (a heart condition) I was advised to only have a light breakfast and subsequently the last thing I drank was a glass of juice at 7.15 am. I was given some medication after my surgery and took two sips of water with the tablets. This was around 2.30pm (I was rather groggy but I'm sure it was around this time). As part of the recovery I needed to gradually sit upright from a recumbent position. As I was raised up I immediately felt nauseous and broke out into a cold sweat. I was then lowered back to a prone position. Around an hour later another attempt was made to raise me and again I felt light-headed but not as bad as before. I was offered some biscuits and a cup of tea. This was around 5.00pm in the afternoon. (around 8-9 hours after I had anything substantial to drink. My Cardiologist visited me around this time and organised a saline drip and I soon started to feel better. Despite having my blood pressure taken on a regular basis until my Cardiologist saw me I had no idea my blood pressure was low (I believe this is a good indication of being dehydrated.)

Why did no-one ask me "when was the last time you had anything to drink?" I was also offered a sandwich around 5.00pm (the last thing I had eaten was at 7.00am) but never received any food from the Hospital up until I left at around 8.00pm (other than what I fortunately brought into the ward myself). Baring in mind that if I had not been able to walk unaided then I would have had to stay in overnight.
I also heard two patients complain (out of 3 others left on the ward) that they had been given tea with sugar despite them both being diabetic!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital and for your lovely words regarding the care you received from the Surgical Team.
It is disappointing to read that your aftercare experience was not positive. As an organisation we are constantly striving to improve where care did not meet expectations. As such, we would welcome the opportunity to investigate the issues you have mentioned in your comment. I would be very grateful if you would contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to provide further information to allow us to look into these issues. You can contact PALS via the telephone on 01782 676451 or via email patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.
Kindest regards
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Rachel Lloyd gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment in maternity department

Every stage of my labour was dealt with fantastically at Royal Stoke. From MAU all the way through to the ward for recovery. The breastfeeding support I got was outstanding and the respect and continuity unwavering. I feel very greatful to have such a lovely team of people working together

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about our Maternity Service. I will ensure they are shared with the Matron for the whole service so it can be shared with all of the staff. I know they will appreciate your kind words.
I do hope you are enjoying parenthood and not having too many sleepless nights!

Mike Barnes gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling and life threatening

Got stage 4 cancer and was told of an appointment for a ultrasound biopsy on my liver by telephone so they can decide on the treatment. They never sent me any paper work to tell me about preparation or anything.

When I got there and waited for an hour I was told they could not perform the procedure because no day bed had been booked for me for observation afterwards - blamed on some email error!!!!!!!!! got a new appointment 9 days later. Meanwhile this cancer is still growing in me with no treatment.

Your life in their hands.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Care NHS at its Best

Thank you to your teams within the Cath lab, CCU and the cardiac ward (220). Fast efficient treatment is crucial to those having an acute cardiac problem and your team provided this giving an abundance of confidence
Each and every person from the people in the theatre (amazing doctor who with such skill treated the problem) to all the ward staff. A little mention for the support worker on CCU who stayed late to support a busy ward with numerous emergencies, treating each and every patient with such dignity and compassion. The facilities (environment and equipment) are fabulous; this is clearly coupled with great leadership and accountability at all levels, the cleaners keeping everything sparkling didn’t go unnoticed.

Please pass on our sincere and grateful thank you to everyone and tell your team to be proud of the service delivered

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Gary Woods gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional Care

I had a quadruple heart bypass operation on 10 February and was discharged on the 15th. The operation and possible outcomes were explained fully by my surgeon and their colleagues. After the operation I spent time in the critical care unit and ward 223, during which I received exceptional care from all the nursing staff I encountered. I am full of admiration and gratitude for all who made my stay as comfortable as possible.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Major trauma at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care and Compassion

Following the emergency admission of a loved one, who was airlifted to North Staff's, quite some distance from our home; the treatment, care and compassion given to the patient and to the family was outstanding.

Consultants and nursing staff kept us fully informed of every decision/treatment option and gave us plenty of time to ask questions.

I cannot thank them enough for their professionalism and support, compassion and understanding.

The little things they did, are remembered as much as the bigger things such as surgery.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 13 March 2017

I am so grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital, especially after what has clearly been a traumatic time for you. Feedback such as yours is very much appreciated by our staff and I will ensure your lovely words are shared with the team.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

Ron Taylor. reviewed Cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital

The place for a first choice heart operation!

I had a heart operation on the 22/ Feb, 017. was released today. what a wonderful staff from the nurses up to the surgeons. can not fault them at all. made me feel safe. Many thanks from my family and myself.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 26 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 09 March 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. I do hope you are continuing to recover well after your surgery. I will ensure your kind words are shared with the Cardiology Team- I know they will be very pleased to receive them.
Thank you again.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Planned c section

The staff in the operating room and on the ward were fantastic. They were all reassuring and the over care was brilliant. I never felt any pressure to leave the ward early and they took time to explain procedures,medication and care of baby throughout my stay . Nothing was too much trouble for them and even when baby was screaming the ward down at 2am I never felt embarrassed or pressured, staff just gave reassurances and advice.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 25 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 09 March 2017

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our Maternity Services. I do hope you are not having too many sleepless nights.
I will ensure your lovely feedback is shared with the Maternity Team.