Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

Royal Stoke University Hospital

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

JASON gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Drive to another town

I was referred to the A & E dept. for heart pains. After the initial 2 hour wait I asked them roughly how long it may be until I would be seen by the doctor? I was rudely told at least another 4 hours minimum. That would have pushed my car par fee to £10 as well.

Seriously the rooms were full of people in pain and crying but all the nurses were stood in the middle laughing and joking and not one doctor was attending anyone. It wasn't even a busy Friday night!

You would probably be seen quicker if you drove to another town.

To sum up............rude, silly waiting times and totally disorganised. Avoid

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

Dear "Jason"
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands.
If you would like to contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Patient Opinion Logo

David Wetton gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

3 days for an apendix removal

I was in ward 111 and was very happy with the treatment I received. Both the day and night staff were friendly, professional and I felt at ease for my whole stay. I was kept up to date the whole time and felt completely in control of what was going on with my treatment.

The surgery team were excellent and explained everything to me leaving me at ease throughout the process.

Many thanks to all the staff and I would recommend treatment with you to anyone.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 09 July 2015

H. Barr gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Paramedics, A & E and Fracture Clinic

I wish to express my gratitude to the 3 paramedics who were so caring and supportive during transportation to A & E on 7 July. I was in considerable pain and the person monitoring me was an absolute angel. Once the paramedics registered me in, I was soon attended to by a Practitioner Nurse who was a true professional. They were very efficient, arranging x-Rays and appropriate leg support to help ease the pain. They also arranged an appointment the following day at the Fracture Clinic. The Fracture Clinic was extremely busy as I expected. The treatment I received was excellent. The medical staff were really really busy but managed to deliver a caring and professional service.
High praise and thanks to all the medical teams involved in my care.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Nadine gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

All too often, hospital's and especially the A&E department get such bad reviews. I'm very pleased to say I had a fantastic experience at this hospital. I went to A&E late evening, very anxious with a fever and unable to move one side of my face. Within the next 2 hours, I had seen a triage nurse, a GP, a consultant and a specialist ENT consultant. Their manner was superb, they were very friendly and reassuring, and incredibly professional and prompt. I was given a thorough exam, diagnoses, prescribed medication and given a follow up appointment. Thank you for making a very scary time, a manageable one.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 16 July 2015

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Not bad. Could do better.

My Grandmother was recently in Ward 78 of the "Royal Stoke University Hospital". It wasn't terrible but may I please suggest a few routes towards improvement?

1. Keep "hot meals" hot. The clue is in the name.

2. Listen to the patient when serving meals. Each has their own peculiar needs and habits. For example, my Grandmother - due to being "blind" (written behind her on the wall) - prefers food and utensils to be in a certain place before her. Its not rocket science, after all.

3. Speak up! For example, my Grandmother is "hard of hearing". Announcing your intentions at high volume when entering the room leaves little room for ambiguity as to intentions!

Overall, it wasn't a totally bad experience yet a little attention to detail could reach perfection! :)

P.S. Plenty of folk do not have access to these kinds of online feedback portals, for example my Grandmother. Provision of hard copies would better facilitate contact. I asked everywhere in the hospital for 'friends and family' feedback forms yet they seem as rare as rocking horse doo-dah.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 22 July 2015

Jenna gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Avoid if you don't want to feel invisible and worthless!

My husband was sent to North Staffs A&E in an ambulance due to the severity of his stomach pains that had become increasingly worse over 3 days. At this point i was extremely concerned as he's not the type of person to moan or even show that he's suffering. So when he is literally panting, bowled over and in screaming agony i become very worried!

After travelling to meet him in A&E, we were waiting in a small crowded waiting room with people being sick regularly for over 3 hours. I then decided to ask how much longer we had to wait and was made to feel like i was irrelevant and i shouldn't be interrupting their personal conversations. So as they carried on laughing and joking he then decided to say 'oh he's next'. 30 minutes pass and we are moved to a cubicle, to then wait a further 35 minutes to even see a doctor!

As we had been there for a while and extremely uncomfortable, i needed to visit the ladies room. I can't believe i even dared to attempt to ask the desk in BAY A where they are located. I walked to the desk and was quickly looked at, and then both staff put their heads down and carried on talking whilst i was right in front of them. I waited and waited for at least an acknowledgement, and after 2 mins of not even a 'please bare with me' i stormed off saying 'i'll find them myself'.

The doctor decided to turn up eventually to have a quick chat with my husband to tell him that he could have a couple of 'serious' problems but to just go home and take some medication, then see his GP for referral for tests. The doctor did not even touch him, check him over, do any tests and somehow they had x-ray vision and could see exactly what was going on in his stomach! As they saw that we were dissatisfied, they said 'i'll get someone to do an ECG'. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that to monitor the heart? Nothing to do with the stomach! As my husband said that he had wasted 4 hours in the most uncomfortably cramped waiting room, the doctor obviously felt that they had to quickly do something, anything, to attempt to show that we hadn't wasted our time!

This is exactly why so many people refuse to seek treatment or help, as this is how you get treated! Like a dog! Sorry that's an insult to dogs though really!

To conclude, he is no better and has no idea why he is suffering but refuses to even get help as now he feels that it's pointless!

Thanks North Staffs, my husband now may have something serious now or in the future and he won't turn for help due to the poor service received! Very disappointing!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 27 July 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor Antenatal Care

This department needs to get its house in order...my first impressions were good, very clean waiting room but then it went downhill from there! Every appointment I had there was at least a 90 minute wait (once or twice is fine but not every time) there was an issue each time with my notes or they booked me in for the wrong thing etc The Consultant I met to discuss mode of delivery was so arrogant and disinterested that I left in tears, midwives seemed demotivated and my scan experience was ruined by a miserable midwife who made me feel so awkward. I witnessed a number of occasions when the staff would discuss very personal information with patients in the waiting room for everyone to hear. On my last visit for an injection after a two hour wait, booked in for the wrong injection and rude staff I had absolutely no confidence that this was the safest place to deliver my baby- I went to Leighton, OMG superior experience unbelivable difference Stoke should go there to learn how things should be done!! As for the parking!!!!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 19 July 2015

conrad gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

very well looked after under the circumstances.

I was admitted through a&e with a broken neck in the early hours of Monday morning, from the a&e staff right through to ward 221 all the nurses and doctors were very friendly and professional, I could not fault any part of my 8 day stay, I had ct scans, mri scans and x rays and never had any delays.
the only major complaint I had was on getting discharged I had to wait hours for my medication from the pharmacy asdid everyone else in my room who were discharged through the week I was there.

On return for my first outpatient consultation I was seen right on my appointment time, straight through x Ray and within 10 mins by my doctor and surgeon.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

RJM1 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Praise for A&E and Emergency Eye Clinic

I attended the Royal Stoke Hospital for the first time a few days ago and the service that I received at A&E and then the Emergency Eye Clinic was all good.
I realise that attending A&E on a Thursday lunchtime is probably a good and quiet time to go but even so I was dealt with very quickly and efficiently by all 3 staff members I had contact with there.
Upon referral to the Emergency Eye Clinic I waited to see the doctor for some time but this was to be expected and was similar to what I have experienced in other hospitals. When I did get to see the Doctor he was patient and thorough despite clearly having a heavy workload that afternoon. The nurse and receptionist were also kind and helpful.
Thank you to all that helped me that day.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 28 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Dear 'RJM1'
Thank you for leaving feedback of your experience at University Hospitals of North Midlands.
We are happy that the care you received was good and that the staff were kind and helpful.

Norma gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wonderful staff

My husband was admitted to ward 109 at the beginning of June. All the staff involved in his care were never less than kind, efficient, helpful, informative and extremely professional. I cannot rate them too highly. I would like to say thank you to you all for making a sad and difficult time bearable and reinforcing my faith in the NHS.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Dear 'Norma'
Thank you for your feedback on University Hospital of North Midlands.
We are that you were pleased with your experience and that you rated it very high, Ward 109 will be informed of your comments, they will be delighted to see your comments.