University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhns.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 4 stars

Parking nightmare

Why oh why have they not made more of the car parks multi storied. Tried for 20 mins to get on a car park and then husband drove out of the hospital to park on a street. this is not the first time this has happened. Can't help but wonder if most of the missed appointments are due to not being able to park.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

Fiona T gave University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 5 stars

fantastic orthodontic treatment

I am delighted with the orthodontic treatment I am receiving at UHNS. My orthodontic problems are complex but the consultant has a great can-do attitude and is achieving excellent results. The consultant's interpersonal skills, handling skills and treatment planning are excellent. Thank you for your help so far

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 16 September 2014

Anonymous reviewed University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

failure to answer telephones in response to emergency call

I am a Consultant in London and have tried for 40 minutes to get anyone in the PACS office to give a code for decryption of a scan disc. Apart from the fact the D of H has been unable to give a single example of this practice having given any benefit in the past ten years, and the fact there has NEVER been an example of unencrypted discs from private hospitals falling into the wrong hands (FOI Request 2013) I spoke to someone who didn't identify themselves in the main Xray department who told me there is no way of contacting the department if they don't answer the phone, no arrangements for the PACS team to be contacted if they don't pick up the phone no contact number for complaints, they didn't know who the chief executive was and couldn't do anything

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 11 September 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 1 stars

3year wait & still un diagnosed!

Front line staff are usually excellent, with just a few bad experiences. Middle & upper management are however suffering from "Ostrich syndrome" The appointment system is shocking, long waits for promised outpatient appointments are regular.
A&E department cannot cope, regularly missing government waiting times, we have been there for many long hours, sometimes overnight & well into the next day. Mistakes blamed regularly on junior doctors.
Complaints result in half answered replies ( eventually) meetings with management encourage us but come to little or nothing.
Different departments & consultants are unaware of other visits we've had, taking up their time which could be used by other patients. (They were not aware of Chemotherapy treatment for example)

After 3 years we still wait for a diagnosis to get treatment in place to give us some quality of life back for us & other members of the family. In 2014 it is shocking to us to be having to continually complain to try to get the situation sorted out, and we wonder how many other people in Stoke & surrounding area have felt let down by this hospital trust.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

hypermobilecat gave at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 1 stars

dermatology staff

I had a skin biopsy for suspected basal cell or squamous cell cancer . I waited past the eight weeks and when I didnt hear anything I phoned up to find out my results. The staff were offhand and seemed off with me. I eventually got a brief letter stating after been told I almost definately had basal cell or even squamous cell,that it was negative. i phoned up to say thankyou,but I didnt think thier way of communicating with me was very good.The staff member said I should be grateful it was negative.I got the letter after 10 weeks.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

MJAn recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

5 Star in all respects.

What I liked

Went in for a day case laser prostatectomy and everything and everyone, from the moment of admission to final release, was excellent and, of course, I mustn't forget theConsultant, Pre-op Care and District Nurse after care.

Visited in November 2011. Posted on 03 November 2011

Linda Jane Bourne recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Excellent from start to finish.

What I liked

Considerate and caring way I was treated from the beginning of my treatment to the end by all concerned. The speed of my diagnosis and subsequent treatment was excellent and I cannot speak highly enough of all the medical and administrative staff involved.

Absolutely nothing.

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 09 November 2011

Anonymous did not recommend at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Horiffic, heartbreaking and disasterous

What I liked

Having had my operation cancelled at 5pm, having been there since 7am, I was, should we say, a little agrieved. Being offered a corned beef butty and a cup of tea was not a comfort, merely an extra insult after a 7 year wait for this operation that had previously been cancelled. To top the day, I was asked to leave the premesis, to stand in the rain to wait for my wife (20 mile drive) as they had to lock up.

I's say, lock up, switch the lights off and start again, awful place.

What could have been improved

Number 1, the patient comes first, there are no number 2's, 3's or other excuses

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 01 November 2011

Roy Martin recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Excellent

What could have been improved

I received an appointment notification and a map.
The letter referred to the chest clinic but it also showed clearly the department of respiratory medicine.
The map clearly shows where this dept is.
So there is where I went, only to be told that I was at the wrong place.
The map does show the west building but there is no indication that the chest clinic is there.
I was told that this happens to many patients, so it clearly is a problem.
The letter should be altered to make clear where the chest clinic is.
If not altering the map to show that the chest clinic is housed in the west bulding; perhaps the person filling the envelop of notification could ring the west building - that would highlight the place to go.
Otherwise my experience was was excellent in all respects.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 01 June 2011

Anonymous recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Clean ward with caring and compasionate staff who really are a credit.

What I liked

I was refered to the maternity wards by Haywood hospital fater having my 12 week scan due to the severe morning sickness (but all the time) I was suffering. Haywood were fantastic as I was at witts end and so weak I could barely walk. Went into hospital relieved that something was being done but also worried as first baby and first ever stay in hospital. The midwives on the ward made me very welcome and comfortable immediately and were very reassuring. After prompt initial assessments from the doctor I was given anti-sickness injection which started to have immediate effect and was then put on a drip. All the time the midwives were checking on me and making sure I was ok. Even better was my husband could stay with me all the time until 9pm. After a second bag of drip fluid through the night woke up feeling amazing after a surprisingly quiet nights sleep. In the morning I was allowed to start eating again! Best breakfast I have ever tasted - probably due to first meal I had kept down for weeks. All the time the staff were so supportive - doctors, nurses, midwives, student midwives and ancilary staff included. Thehe staff could do enough for me and made me feel so much better as I was worried I would just be wasting their time. Later had lunch which was also very good. In addition the ward was very clean at all times and in all areas. Just hoping experience is just as good when I go in to have the bay but if this experience is anything to go by it sould be fine.

What could have been improved

Parking is always a bit of a pain at the hospital. There are just not enough spaces for the high demand.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 18 August 2011