Royal Stoke University Hospital

Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

annnette jones gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

mri

I would like to say how impressed I was by staff in the main mri . I arrived for scan was taken in 10 minutes early . Staff were polite friendly and helpful. Even when one person was being extremely rude .

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 08 March 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Dear 'annnette jones'

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience at Royal Stoke University Hospital. We are pleased that you were impressed with our service and staff members.

charlie. reviewed Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital

difficulty finding a parking space .

I am disabled and I travel from north wales to see my daughter and new grandson which takes me about 90 minutes approximately but unfortunately it takes nearly as much time again to find a parking space (disabled or non disabled) also it says on the hospital web site please ask parking attendants for assistance if needed, if a parking assistant could be found (the best joke I have heard for a long time) though I have noticed they are very quick in handing out parking tickets. I have to leave Wrexham one or two hours earlier than necessary to make sure that I can spend some time visiting my daughter and grandson. I know the hospital cannot do anything about road works but if there were to be someone available to ask for advice it would make my visiting the hospital more pleasurable.as the hospital and all the staff in the maternity unit are superb and very friendly and helpful.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Anjii brown reviewed Plastic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital

Smoking

I am lead to believe, not partly by all the signs put up,at considerable expense, that, except for designated smoking shelters,the hospital ground are totally no smoking. I have spent one and a half hours at the new unit this morning and witnessed visitors and several patients, some wheeling drips, standing just outside the door near the central treatment suite smoking. One was even directed there by one of your volunteers! I find this not only unbelievable but also disgusting. Any one entering or leaving the hospital has to do so through a cloud of toxic foul smelling smoke, not to mention the butt ends on the floor outside and also Inside between the doors on the carpet. I asked a volunteer about the no smoking policy and they replied that nobody bothers?!? I also asked them where I could lodge a complaint. Unfortunately they didn't have a satisfactory response to this either. I would like a response to this at your earliest request. I do have photos which I am able to provide to you. If no response I will have no problem taking this complaint further.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 13 March 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 24 March 2015

Dear 'Anjii Brown'

Many thanks for your comment. The Trust Smoking Control Policy does not permit the smoking of tobacco products or use of e-cigarettes on, in or around the hospital sites and buildings, except in the designated smoking areas placed around the site.

I have this morning asked APCOA to patrol this area more rigorously and to advise people smoking in this area to use the smoking shelters that have now been provided.

I will monitor this situation over the coming weeks. Once again, many thanks for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

Mike Brown

Head of Facilities – Service Transformation

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Speed bumps and parking bring shame on the place.

I have to visit this hospital fairly regularly both through my work and as a patient. I cannot find fault with the hospital services, the staff are fantastic in all areas, some displays of genuine caring and professionalism at all levels.
However, the car parking and speed bumps bring shame upon the hospital. The car parking is expensive, difficult to find a space and the machines that you get a ticket from are so frequently out of order that you might as well not bother. I left a note in my window the other day as both machines at the A&E car park were out of order and guess what?! I was ticketed.
Also, those nasty speed bumps that are now littering the main road through the site. I have a back problem and driving over those dreadful things even at less than 10mph (the speed limit they are supposed to enforce) gives me the most incredible pain that lasts me continually throughout the day. I cannot imagine what it must be like for others in pain travelling over them, especially the elderly or those in an ambulance without the soft suspension of a car.
I have had to have time off work because of the pain brought on by those speed bumps and I am sure others are suffering.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Dave Sherratt gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Visit to A&E

I visited A&E after a nasty accident at home. I fell down the stairs. Hurting my hip, wrist, elbow, rib and knee.
When I arrived at the hospital I was seen almost immediately by the Triage nurse who then sent me to the main block.

After this things got a bit dicey.

The doctor examined me, I was in extreme agony. After 5 minutes we never saw the doctor again.
I was sent for an x ray. If a porter hadn't been walking past, I wouldn't have made it as my notes were on the floor.
A nurse responded to a question I asked, How long will this take. The reply was the doc will be here in a min. Hour and half later....
The nurse's response to nearly everything was in a min. Why didn't they go and find out.

I was never offered anything for the pain. The pain was excruciating.

I was sent for a further ct scan. Again this nurse said you're going in a min. another hour later........

The results were told to me. A small hairline crack in my hip. I was discharged after nearly 6 hrs. and with no advice on how to treat it, look after this nor any pain relief. Just as well I had my own.

Not happy

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 31 March 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A compliment to Ward 109

I have recently been visiting a family member on ward 109, I just wanted to give credit to a nurse for everything they did for the family as this was a emotional time. The nurse went out of their way to provide amazing care for our family member and treated us all with respect. Nothing was to big of a job and it would be nice for these efforts and excellent nursing to be recognised.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 31 March 2015

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment at the small injuries unit

Injured in a RTA, needed stitches for my wound, excellent treatment all the way through the process at the small injuries unit. Very professional and efficient staff. The nurse who put the stitches in was excellent and kept me informed what was happening, felt very safe and confident during the procedure. Even my GP commented how good the wound had been stitched. Gets my vote anytime. The NHS at its best.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 18 February 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CCU

My son was admitted to CCU in January.
The care he has received is second to none.
All the nurses were very caring and explained everything in words we could understand.
Cleanliness is superb

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 12 February 2015

Anonymous gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Communications Problems

Had out patients appointment and after 20 minutes was taken in to see a doctor. He never introduced himself, did not have a name badge on. After 4 minutes appointment finished.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 February 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 26 February 2015

Dear 'Anonymous'

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands.

May we suggest that you contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Senior Communications Officer, Communications, University Hospitals of North Midlands

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

contacting a department

A number of times I have tried to contact the orthodontist department and not had any answer. this has been going on for a couple of months. I have tried to change appointments a few times due to illness and not having treatment done at my local dentists. I am told that I have to contact the department otherwise I will have my treatment cancelled. however this is not possible to do so.
I have tried several times for two days and i'm getting nowhere, the member of staff who I spoke to on the phone was very rude and wasn't helpful, they just kept offering me the number I have tried numerous times.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 March 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Dear 'Anonymous'

Our Appointments call center number is 01782 676676, the switchboard number is 01782 715444. They will be able to put you through to the department you require.