Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Steven grubb gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

I was rushed in at the early hours of Monday morning with a heart attack, within the hour of arriving I was medicated to help ease the pain and burning sensation I was having, was spoken to numerous doctors informed I was to have a stent fitted and wheeled down to the room to have it fitted which took 40 minutes.

I cannot fault the team who fitted the stent, the nurses who have looked after me after. Only downside is and I get the urgency of doing it but I was move three times in total I understand the bed to do it as I got better others who were worse need the placement

As I write this I'm due to go home today just over 48 hours later and I feel like a completely different person than who came in and its all thank to the care I've received. So thanks to all those involved in helping me get back on my feet and caring for me I wouldn't be here wring this today if you hadn't

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on our Cardiology Services. I do hope you are continuing to recover well from what has clearly been a worrying time for you. Feedback such as yours really does make a difference to our staff. I will ensure your lovely words are shared with the Cardiology Team.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Diana knapper gave Allergy services in hospital at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

AandE treatment

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the staff that treated me last night when I had to attend the A and E department
I had a sting from a hornet which left me with a reaction and problem with my blood presser
The treatment I received was excellent all the staff were very caring and efficient.
This hospital gets negative reports I would just like to say I received a very positive experience and would like this recorded
Once again a big thank you to all the staff.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

I am so pleased to read of your positive experience in our Emergency Department. I will ensure your lovely feedback is shared with the team in A&E- I know they will very much appreciate your kind words.
I do hope you are now fully recovered.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

selina gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

visit to maternity assessment unit MAU

Was sent straight to the MAU having seen my local midwife for further assessment. There are a few issues I would like to highlight that I encountered during my visit;

1. Parking - the multi storey car park is a significant distance away from the lower buildings such as the maternity block yet particularly during the day seems to be the only option as the other car parks are full, with people even having to park outside of allocated car park slots. Not sure why non emergency staff don't use this multi storey car park as this would free up a lot of spaces in a car park located closer to the lower buildings currently allocared just for staff.

2. Lack of seating - more seats required on 2nd floor of the maternity block. A relative of a patient had to give up there seat in order for me to sit down! There is plenty of room for more seating to be added, particularly with the amount of people that visit MAU, delivery suite and neonatal and the long waiting times, this is absolutely necessary.

3. Food - having me and my family including young son been out the house since 11 that morning naturally by 5 we were all getting hungry.
- all food and drink dispensers in maternity building were unavailable to use a debit card (yet no sign to advise of this and no sign to say where nearest cashpoint is or nearest working food dispenser was located)
- cafe closed by 4.30 but no signs to advise of details of other food or shop outlets in other blocks.
- asked the receptionist whether the shop in the main building (which i happened to notice as i walked through) was still open, their answer was "I'm not sure, I don't go up there") I explained that I needed to go back in asap so i don't want to have a wasted journey their response "it's only a short walk" I asked if they could phone to find out (not being funny I'm pregnant with the start of preeclampsia and a young child I'm not walking somewhere to find out it could be closed and then still have no food!) Their response "they didn't have a number" I asked if they knew the number for the main building "reluctantly they phoned the switch board" no answer!! Eventually they mentioned there was a subway In the Lyme building ... hallelujah!!
Firstly as a receptionist they should know this basic information the amount of patients, relatives, visitors that come to the maternity department and require food this is basic information and also their attitude should be If they are not sure that they will find out and not expect people to be roaming around other buildings searching for food outlets. In addition all of this should be signposted for all patients to be aware of in the event the cafe is closed.

4. Pregnancy notes - Should be utilised, despite details clearly written in my notes about my condition. I had to continually point out to midwives what was written in my notes and what I had been referred for. It was very clear despite them having the notes off me they had not been read.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

It is disappointing to read of your experience of our hospital. There is currently a project underway regarding "wayfinding" in the hospital- I will ensure your feedback regarding the lack of signage and information around where patients and visitors can go to eat is shared with the team undertaking this project for their information.
We have recently had a cash machine installed in the Lyme Building of the hospital but this is a fairly new addition. I will share your comments regarding the lack of information provided by the Reception Team with the Matron for Maternity Services so this can be addressed for the future.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback- as an organisation we continually strive to ensure we provide outstanding care to both patients and visitors and it is important to us that we receive comments such as yours to allow us to improve where needed.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Reluctance to attend A&E.

On Sunday 2nd April I was asked/told to attend A&E. Bearing in mind the well publicised waiting times I declined to do so but a member of my the family decided otherwise!
I was seen by a nurse very quickly, followed by another nurse and then a doctor. Absolutely no complaints regarding waiting times as there appeared to be a surplus of doctors, in fact more than patients! I was told by a member of staff they were trying to work to a 4 hour turn round of patients being in /out of A&E and were being monitored. Commendable but why such a surplus of staff when the department is being monitored? Although there is no drop down facility to leave feedback for A&E, I was contacted by the hospital to ask for such ,the feedback given against my name. Surely it is better to be able to leave feedback through NHS choices where anonymity is guaranteed rather than be afraid to make any sort of complaint because you could be recognised. No member of staff was seen to wash their hands for a start so very, very pleased to be back home to my clean house.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 08 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 10 April 2017

It is disappointing to read your comments around your recent experience of our A&E department. I will liaise with NHS Choices to ensure there is a drop-down available allowing for comments around A&E at Royal Stoke to be left.
Please be assured that no patient or visitor would ever have their care compromised by leaving any kind of feedback. All comments, whether positive or relating to raising an issue, are welcomed. As an organisation we continually strive to provide outstanding care and it is important to us to know when we have not got it right for patients or visitors to allow us to improve.
I will share your feedback with the Emergency Department Managers for their information.

Nance gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Angiogram

I'd just like to send a huge thank you to the Cardiology team. My Dad had an overnight stay with you on Saturday 10th April as he was due for an angiogram after being transferred from Leighton.
Not only was he treated with dignity and respect but you also kept a very worried daughter informed. I didn't need to ring you, you phoned me immediately after his treatment and then again to tell me he was on his way back to Leighton. As a team stretched beyond capacity, I was highly impressed that you took the trouble to do this and, now that Dad's home, he's also asked me to pass on his thanks for your outstanding care.
Both North Staffs and Leighton Hospital's cardiology teams get an outstanding rating from us.
Please pass on our thanks to all.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 13 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Cardiology Service. I will ensure your lovely words are shared with the team. When our staff receive feedback such as yours it really does make a big difference to their morale.
I do hope Dad is continuing to recover well from his time in hospital.

Simon reviewed Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital

Like a well oiled machine

I was so overwhelmed on attending Stoke for Angiogram as to how the team so obviously meshed together like a well oiled machine. The professionalism was so evident and it was clear this was an internationally assembled bunch of experts. I cannot thank them all enough. I note others remarks re hydration and this was certainly not an issue for me as I felt that both food and drink were dealt with in a very slick manner.

I left Stoke with nothing in writing as to what had been done for me and this is my one observation that perhaps could be improved upon....but may not be practical.

Thanks to all again.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our Cardiology Services. I will ensure your lovely words, and suggestion for improvement, are shared with the Senior Management Team. I know they will appreciate receiving them.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Elderly Mother

My Mother was rushed to Hospital via Ambulance at the end of Nov, last year. The care she received in A and E, Trauma, Acute Medical Unit, Neurology and latterly in Ward 80 ( which I will go on to ) was exceptional. However, once diagnosed with Encephalitis she was moved to Ward 112, where she remained for several weeks. I have to say I found it very intimidating both telephoning and visiting this Ward. At the time Mum was not out of danger and the visits were very stressful. I telephoned a number of times ( sometimes barely able to get my hand to the phone ) and on more than one occasion the staff were abrupt and unhelpful. Even though we were regular visitors over a long period of time, staff barely acknowledged us when we entered the Ward. I would often ask if I could see a senior member of staff at the end of visiting to ask about her progress, but would find myself waiting and waiting, until in the end I would have to go and find someone, perhaps on another bay. Even Mum ( who at the time was v poorly said that some of the staff made her feel that she was a nuisance and were abrupt with her ). It could not have been more different on the other Wards she visited. Latterly she has spent almost three months on Ward 80 and will be forever grateful for the exceptional care she received there. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff on this Ward, it was truly in stark contrast to Ward 112!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Discharged before appointment time

I have often had to wait up to 4 hours but this is the first time I have been seen so quickly. Appointment 2.10, walking to bus 2.07, The staff at the Fracture Clinic were polite and efficient. They allowed time for me to walk slowly and some of them even pronounced my name right! I did not feel hurried as time was given for me to ask questions and get advice.
Thank you .

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 23 April 2017

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Horrendous visit

Had to take my mother for biopsy. Firstly the letter never arrived and it was only sent 3 days ago, probably 2nd hand. . Secondly it took 45 mins to park! Mom has confusion so i couldnt park and drop off!!!! Then we were directed wrongly by a member of staff so despite leaving 1 1/2 hours for a 50 minuite drive, we just about made it. Signs in building were attrocious. We were told to head to xray but to follow at end of corfidor which strictly speaking was 2 corridors. This is for a woman with lung cancer and COPD! Hopefully we will be able to be treated at County where it is much more accessible especially from Cannock. Thank god for ONE freindly person in theatres who actually showed us where to go rather than hazy directions! Very angry! To end it all, leaving this review, it has t the department in drop down where we visited!!!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Petrified Patient gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A Phenomenal Team Effort

Attended for an MRI and CT scan this morning with many issues over my care. Need not have worried because on Saturday morning, the 22nd April 2017,the staff from both departments were quite exceptional in the way they looked after me.
They should hire themselves out to teach staff from a neighbouring hospital how to do their job efficiently! A big thank you to all those involved in my care. Well done.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017