Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Alan gave Neurosurgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care - Thank You!

My wife has spent 8 weeks in critical care and then the neurosurgical ward at Royal Stoke hospital. Throughout I have been most impressed and grateful for the quality and professional standards of care she has received. Whoever of the nursing staff was caring for her on the day always knew what had been discussed during the ward round, had a helpful comment on how my wife had been that day, and was able to get me answers to any questions I might ask.
Although the staff were always busy I never had a problem about getting someone to deal with any issues my wife had.
The only difficulties I had were getting access to one of the medical staff - but I learned how to do that, simply by keeping asking - and the weeks of delay before a rehab bed could be found for my wife, but that was not something within ward staff control.
She has now moved on to the Haywood intensive therapy unit. I can only hope for the same level of professional care she has had thus far.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 07 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this lovely feedback which I have shared with the teams. I am delighted to hear that the nursing staff did such an excellent job of keeping you informed throughout what must have been a very stressful time for both yourself and your wife. Please give your wife our best wishes for her on going recovery.

y k gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Total waste of time visitng neurologist

I have waited four months to visit the neurologist for an urgent appointment, what a waste of time my visit has been today -seeing a registrar rather than the consultant.
To start the visit I asked the receptionist to update my phone number - they couldn't do this as they were making an appointment for somebody and could only do one thing - they asked me to do it on the way out. I was so disgusted with the appointment I never even thought on the way out. Then to have my blood pressure taken, first machine didn't work, second machine had low battery so they disappeared in search of another machine. They had no notes despite visiting before and visiting the County hospital where I have a file about three inches thick. Then the registrar shouted me in - didn't say my surname, just the initial of my first and middle name. I went in and they said my GP had referred me - the fact I had fell several times - wasn't concerned, dizziness - wasn't concerned, total weakness on my left side - wasn't concerned, severe pains in my hands - wasn't concerned, the fact I am struggling to eat as my face and jaw pain is so severe - they never answered. The doctor increased medication and said come back in four months, I asked if they were going to look into the weakness down the left side - they finally got off the chair, tested my reflexes, strength in hands. Sat down and never commented - they never tested the strength in my legs/feet etc.
The doctor went on to say they weren't concerned about the falls as I hadn't broke anything - so I will have to break a limb to get them to take me seriously.
They reduced hayfever medication -and has done a referral to ENT, yet the weakness I went with they weren't concerned and the foot pain they said the gp should be sorting - absolute waste of time, fuel and parking.
The doctor said they will see me in four months, asked how long I had the symptoms - should have looked on the computer - I told them about 18 months and they never commented.
I took my friend and we were absolutely gobsmacked, I went to get answers following visits to the TIA clinic, the spinal clinic and both of these said the neurologist will make the diagnosis - but no, they weren't concerned - so I need to fall, have dizzy turns, not be able to eat - and they weren't bothered in the slightest.
We discussed the appointment on the way back and could not believe what happened, they discussed issues not in their remit and refused to discuss the issues I went with.

A question they asked - what will happen if I stop taking hayfever tablets - what did they expect me to say, ??? the hayfever will come back, not rocket science is it.

Its a joke, from the secretary when I rung to try and get the appointment and to today.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 08 June 2017

I am so very sorry to read that you have had such a poor experience. I would be very grateful if you could contact our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) if you have not already done so to allow us to support you at this time.
PALS can be contacted on 01782 676451 or via email to patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.

y k reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I had an urgent appointment with the neurologist (which was also a follow up...

I had an urgent appointment with the neurologist (which was also a follow up from last year -when I had one issue), since then I have deteriorated - I have severe facial pain from Ramsay Hunt Syndrome and Trigeminal neuropathy, I have fell five times, I have had dizzy turns, I have severe weakness on my left side, I have severe pains in my hands, severe pains in my feet and the registrar was not concerned about anything - just increase the medication and because I hadn't broken any limbs it was ok. So in other words if I break a limb I will be taken seriously.
My eye is partially closed, eye brow pstosis and when I asked if it will improve -they asked how long I had it - which would have been on the file - on no, they had no notes despite my previous visits to County hospital and Royal Stoke.
They said come back in four months, I asked if they was going to test the weakness - they tested reflexes and that was it, they didn't test the strength in my leg at all - even though I said it may be the cause of my falls.
They discussed medication, asked why I was on hayfever medication and asked what would happen if I stopped it - not rocket science - the hayfever will come back was my reply, so they said -I will do a referral request to ENT, so I had gone about severe weakness, falls, not being able to eat -and come away with a letter to my gp to refer me to ENT - what a joke.
They said the hayfever medication wan cause dizziness and memory issues with long term use - I have looked it up and it is the safest medication to use long term.
I came out without asking about my hands swelling, a rash which the dermatologist said was related to Ramsay hunt or medication.
I had to complete a three page questionnaire before I went in - This asked about head aches etc - and yet they never even looked at it.
My friend went with me for support as I am off work with depression, we came out and were dumbstruck - waitied for an appointment having been told previously if I fall again to go to Aand e.
I wanted to updated my phone number with the receptionist - they were making an appointment for somebody and could only do one job, so asked me to go back on my way out - I forgot. Then for the blood pressure - first machine didn't work, second had low battery - third time luck. Then the registrar shouted me by the initial of my first and middle name - no surname.
From going into neurology to leaving -I feel it was a catalogue of errors, waited almost six months for the follow up - and then from April to discuss the other issues, to be told increase painkillers, come back in four months - maybe I will break a limb in the meantime and then have a diagnosis! ! !
Waste of fuel, time and £3. 00 parking

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Shazza gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Mixed review after initial brilliant treatment

I got admitted originally from County hospital due to gallbladder symptoms, stone in bile duct, jaundice and deranged liver and other blood tests. Met the lovely consultant whose care i was under. I have to say that all doctors should learn from their bedside manner! I had my op 5 days later by a great surgeon. I was on ward 102. We had issues with medications which was sorted out. Drinks were brought round regularly. I cant really fault the staff until discharge. I was discharged without antibiotics which i was told I would have but the FY2 was very shirty and rude. I was told i could come back and fetch 2 days worth despite living in Cannock! I now have to book a dr appointment as im still showing signs of jaundice and my discharge note is wrong for which i need to speak to PALS. Its a shame the visit is spoiled by somebody who could learn a thing or two from the consultant and also medication issues as i think its unacceptable the amount of time it took to sort out the problem. Other than that, i have changed my mind about Stoke. Lastly, the dreadful parking situation!!!!!!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 07 June 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 08 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent experience at Royal Stoke Hospital. It is great to read that your operation went well and your initial experience was such a good one. I am sorry that things deteriorated at discharge and pleased to hear that you have already been in touch with PALS to gain support. As your whole experience was so varied it would be really interesting to meet with you to document your "patient story" in more detail which we could then use to share what went well and make improvements where required . If you are happy be involved with this (in a location convenient to you) please let PALS know and they will arrange a mutually convenient date, time and place.

Anonymous gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

poor for carers

Referred to hospital by gp for serious infection. Admitted quickly once eventually parked and found ward . Three hrs later husband declining needed rehydration in extreme pain and getting delirious. Nurses unable to provide any palliative care until junior doctor arrived. Even though husband kept saying talk to me they ignored me even though I had all the history. Despite the fact he has severe chest infection he has been referred to urology consultant who will not talk to me and is proposing life changing and debilitating surgery that affects both our lives. Staff on 107 never answer phone. I am concerned that he is not being given treatment for correct thing but unable to talk to anyone. He's now on oxygen and seems to be getting worse not better. So hospital needs to improve its communication with carers who are there to share facts not be a nuisance.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 May 2017

I am so very sorry to read your comments. I would be very grateful if you could contact me personally on 01782 675487 or via email to Rebecca.smith2@uhnm.nhs.uk or contact our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) if you have not already done so to allow us to support you at this time.
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Ruth Hassall gave Vascular surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and amazing staff

I was admitted yesterday for an operation under general anaesthetic in the vascular surgery department. I was cared for on ward 105 in the Lyme building.
I wanted to take the time to thank and commend all the staff there from the doctors and nurses, anaesecist, reception staff, friendly staff cleaning the room (and anyone that I have missed!)
The staff were professional, competent and extremely kind and caring, even with the difficulties faced with the recent hacking crisis. We are very lucky to have such hard working and caring professionals to look after us. I for one will never take the services that the NHS provide for granted. Thank you all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback around your recent experience on Ward 105. I will ensure your lovely words are sent to Sister Hammond for her to share with her team.
When patients take the time to comment on their experience, it really does help improve staff morale and I know the team on 105 will very much appreciate receiving your comment.
With best wishes
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

Donna gave Haematology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Haematology department

I stumbled across this review page and given the excellent care that I've received at the hospital over the past 16 months, felt that I should comment to reflect this.
I've had investigations at both the Gynaecolgy and Colorectal departments, again both excellent, however my main reason for regular visits since April 16, has been to the Haematology department, following a Leukaemia diagnosis. I'm commenting to express my gratitude to the team for my fabulous care throughout. The consultant that gave me my diagnosis has been fabulous and I continue to be reviewed by them, which gives a consistent service. It's fantastic to be able to put complete trust in someone to look after my health, knowing that they'll do their best for my well being. I've also had access to a specialist nurse (or two), who have been invaluable and who have been a phone call away for results, queries etc and again, I really appreciate this personalised service. My specialist nurse also performed my bone marrow biopsy last year in a reassuring manner and the nurses who helped were all fantastic. I also had a referral to a cancer psychologist during a period of anxiety and this was really helpful too. The haematology secretaries are always very pleasant if I need to call in and all of the consultants/Registrars that I've seen throughout have been great! Again, many, many thanks to the department!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 18 May 2017

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital. Feedback such as yours really does make a difference to our staff who work so hard to provide excellent care to our patients and visitors. I will ensure your lovely words are shared with all the teams you mention. I know they will be much appreciated.
Thank you once again.
With my very best wishes
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent care

My friend was admitted to the stroke room of A & E where nurse took care of him confidently, quietly, efficiently and with the appropriate sense of humour. What an excellent nurse, absolutely top class. I may be a dinosaur ex sister on ICU but I can tell a fine nurse when I come across one. They managed his immediate critical care and he responded brilliantly.
By the time my friend reached the ward the nurse had done a 12 hr shift, What a star!

Ward 232 who took over my friends treatment were kind and, patient and he received excellent care. They were very attentive ,from cleaner to doctor- he wanted for nothing.

In these times of such turmoil within the NHS and with such talk of doom and gloom the staff I encountered were a credit to the Hospital and the NHS. I cannot praise them highly enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on yours and your friends recent experience of our hospital. Feedback like yours makes such a difference to our staff who really do work hard to provide a high standard of care, in what are sometimes quite challenging conditions.
I will ensure your lovely words are shared with the A&E Team and with the Team on 232. I know they will be very pleased to receive your comments.
With best wishes
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Andy Warhol gave Plastic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Melanoma/ Massive mole removal

I had a consultant visit which was done quickly and efficiently. I waited no more than ten minutes after my appointed time. I was treated courteously and professionally at all times by the reception staff, nurse and consultant. Could not have wished for more. The consultant recommended two operations to remove "lesions" on my back and on the front thigh. As I have many freckles and moles, the consultant also took photographs with my 'phone so that the surgeons could easily locate the problem, at the next visit.

I returned for the operation a week later. My appointment was exactly on time. The changing rooms were spotless, and had a locker to store my possessions.
I was questioned by two different staff re allergies, address etc, and again by te attending surgeon whereupon I signed the release to operate.

I was attended by a junior doctor observing only, a surgeon, and a chief surgeon who advised and appeared to be training the others.There was also a nurse and another person who supplied all the equipment. They were all very competent and clearly worked seamlessly as a team. After a few anesthetic injections, had a four inch incision in my right thigh. Another smaller procedure was carried out on my back. Total time was approximately one hour.

The staff were all helpful and answered questions all my questions where possible. The chief surgeon was also very amusing and had me laughing out loud several times. At the end, after redressing, I was given a short talk by two nurses who explained how to take care of my wound, and an explanation of what to do if I had heavy bleeding etc etc.

I should note that my operation took place on the same day as the malware attack, and whilst the doctors and other staff were no doubt under added pressure, you certainly would not have noticed.

I would like to take this opportunity to say Thank You to all at the Royal and the NHS. You are the greatest and I will be forever grateful.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 23 May 2017

Dear Mr Warhol
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this very positive feedback. It is great to hear that you received such an excellent experience and I will share your comments with the Plastic Surgery team. I hope you are recovering well from your operations
Kind Regard

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

little boy with broken arm

My young child broke their arm and at first I took him to A and E. The staff were great with him we didn't have to wait long at all. The doctors and nurses had a very pleasant manner and explained what was going to happen regarding x rays and the plaster cast. My child was then admitted onto a children's ward for the night and again all the nurses and staff had a lovely manner and explained what was happening thoroughly and made a fuss of him. They were very attentive to him and i felt that he was really being looked after extremely well. The following day he had an operation and again all the staff we came into contact with were fabulous. The doctors, nurses and all other hospital staff did a absolutely fantastic job and we can't thank you enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback about the care your son recently received at our hospital. I will share your posting with the teams involved in his care. Receiving feedback like yours really does make a difference to our hard working, busy staff. I hope your son is recovering well from his injury