University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhns.nhs.uk

This hospital has not been rated yet.

n/a

No recommendations

This hospital has not been rated yet.

Linda Jane Bourne recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Excellent from start to finish.

What I liked

Considerate and caring way I was treated from the beginning of my treatment to the end by all concerned. The speed of my diagnosis and subsequent treatment was excellent and I cannot speak highly enough of all the medical and administrative staff involved.

Absolutely nothing.

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 09 November 2011

MJAn recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

5 Star in all respects.

What I liked

Went in for a day case laser prostatectomy and everything and everyone, from the moment of admission to final release, was excellent and, of course, I mustn't forget theConsultant, Pre-op Care and District Nurse after care.

Visited in November 2011. Posted on 03 November 2011

Anonymous did not recommend at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Horiffic, heartbreaking and disasterous

What I liked

Having had my operation cancelled at 5pm, having been there since 7am, I was, should we say, a little agrieved. Being offered a corned beef butty and a cup of tea was not a comfort, merely an extra insult after a 7 year wait for this operation that had previously been cancelled. To top the day, I was asked to leave the premesis, to stand in the rain to wait for my wife (20 mile drive) as they had to lock up.

I's say, lock up, switch the lights off and start again, awful place.

What could have been improved

Number 1, the patient comes first, there are no number 2's, 3's or other excuses

Visited in October 2011. Posted on 01 November 2011

Anonymous did not recommend at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

awful and traumatising.

Nothing.

What could have been improved

Staff communication, bedside manner, general politeness and organisation.

Any other comments

Was ignored through labour, midwife refused to let me see doctor and refused pain relief for 12h saying I was overreacting, but when the doctor came I was immediatly rushed for emergency cesarean as my instinct was correct and my baby was stuck the wrong way. During surgery I had a bad heammorage, and was told i needed extra care because of this. I received no extra care. I wasn't allowed to see my daughter for nearly an hour post-op. Also my epidural didn't wear off for 12h, so I needed help getting my daughter when she woke up crying. The midwife,told me, after only buzzing twice, "ill disconnect your buzzer if you buzz one more time". I injured myself trying to get up unassisted after this as i was scared to ask for help. I was also left without pain medication. One midwife swaddled my daughter, without my permission, in four blankets. Causing her to overheat. I was also left without food for 3 days, my parents and boyfriend had to bring me some. the midwife checking my post-partum bleeding didn't give me any privacy, without drawing the curtains drew my blankets back and exposed me to the whole ward. Overall, it was a horrific experience and I can't even drive down the road the hospital is on without feeling sick. If i ever become pregnant again, I will either move to a different area for a better hospital, or go private.

Visited in August 2010. Posted on 25 September 2011

Anonymous recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Clean ward with caring and compasionate staff who really are a credit.

What I liked

I was refered to the maternity wards by Haywood hospital fater having my 12 week scan due to the severe morning sickness (but all the time) I was suffering. Haywood were fantastic as I was at witts end and so weak I could barely walk. Went into hospital relieved that something was being done but also worried as first baby and first ever stay in hospital. The midwives on the ward made me very welcome and comfortable immediately and were very reassuring. After prompt initial assessments from the doctor I was given anti-sickness injection which started to have immediate effect and was then put on a drip. All the time the midwives were checking on me and making sure I was ok. Even better was my husband could stay with me all the time until 9pm. After a second bag of drip fluid through the night woke up feeling amazing after a surprisingly quiet nights sleep. In the morning I was allowed to start eating again! Best breakfast I have ever tasted - probably due to first meal I had kept down for weeks. All the time the staff were so supportive - doctors, nurses, midwives, student midwives and ancilary staff included. Thehe staff could do enough for me and made me feel so much better as I was worried I would just be wasting their time. Later had lunch which was also very good. In addition the ward was very clean at all times and in all areas. Just hoping experience is just as good when I go in to have the bay but if this experience is anything to go by it sould be fine.

What could have been improved

Parking is always a bit of a pain at the hospital. There are just not enough spaces for the high demand.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 18 August 2011

Anonymous reviewed at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Saddening after a wonderful experience with my first son.

Any other comments

I was left for most of my labour, when a midwife did come in, I wasnt checked and I literally gave birth on the bathroom floor. During the night I was extremely dizzy to the point i had to ask for help getting my little boy out of his crib, the midwife simply put him on the bed next to me and left. We then had a problem with sorting out my little boys last name, without asking or checking the computer they put his last name as my maiden name, even though I got married 6 weeks before. They were then extremely rude to me telling me I should have told them, although I told the hospital at an antenatal appointment and they told me it was sorted. This would have been ok had my little boy not just been referred to Alder Hey for suspected Hersprung's disease meaning I was extremely upset. All they seemed to care about is their paperwork and not the emotional wellbeing of the patient. It upset me greatly as with my first son, only 11 months before, I had a fantastic experience and wonderful support from the staff.

Visited in November 2009. Posted on 13 June 2011

Roy Martin recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Excellent

What could have been improved

I received an appointment notification and a map.
The letter referred to the chest clinic but it also showed clearly the department of respiratory medicine.
The map clearly shows where this dept is.
So there is where I went, only to be told that I was at the wrong place.
The map does show the west building but there is no indication that the chest clinic is there.
I was told that this happens to many patients, so it clearly is a problem.
The letter should be altered to make clear where the chest clinic is.
If not altering the map to show that the chest clinic is housed in the west bulding; perhaps the person filling the envelop of notification could ring the west building - that would highlight the place to go.
Otherwise my experience was was excellent in all respects.

Visited in June 2011. Posted on 01 June 2011

Ann Jadwat recommended at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Brilliant. So much better than portrayed by the press!

What I liked

I was a regular visitor to ICU HDU and ward 121 - My relative was being treated for a serious infection. She had previously been in another hospital and had been advised she had a highly aggressive malignant tumor eroding her C1 C2 vertebrae and this had also spread to her brain stem with serious consequences she was unable to breath unaided and was unable to swallow. The family were called in and told her condition was terminal and they were asked to consider turning off her life support. I pleaded for a second opinion so her details were sent to both yourselves and Liverpool hospital and I thank the Lord that your Consultant agreed to see her and it is because he made that decision that my sister in law is alive and well today and making good progress in her recovery. The doctor saved her life and I will be forever thankful to him. Although he is a very busy man he was always willing to answer a barrage of questions put to him on his ward rounds.

I pray that he and his family enjoy a very long, healthy and happy life!

Any other comments

Having spent hours and hours at your hospital I have total respect for all the medical staff involved in my sister in laws care especially the nurses who were always efficient, cheerful, kind and helpful. I was amazed how busy they were from the minute they walked onto a ward until they finished their shifts.

Visited in March 2011. Posted on 29 March 2011

rockprincess recommended University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

The staff were lovely! They treated you like a friend. Also i loved the fact...

What I liked

The staff were lovely! They treated you like a friend. Also i loved the fact you had your own room after delivery. You could bring your own food in too, and they had a stock of snacks in the fridge if you got hungry. I got plenty of pain relief during the birth - which was much needed due to being induced. Baby was put directly onto me which was wonderful, and dad got to cut the cord. Much improved from the 'old buliding' !

What could have been improved

I know that i had to be induced 13 days early due to the fact that i had high blood pressure, but i did not get the birth i would of liked. I was disappointed on not having a waterbirth although there was not reason why i could not. It was the most painful experience i have ever had and had bad back pain during the birth, and could of been eased if i had been in water.

Any other comments

Please try and listen to what the lady would really like as to make the experience as special as possible.

Visited in October 2010. Posted on 05 October 2010

Anonymous recommended University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

What I liked

On a very recent visit to Stoke to see family and friends, our 5 year old son was treated for a compound fracture to his finger by the staff of the A&E Dept and then on the following day by the Orthapedic Surgical Team and Children's Ward staff on 12B of the North Staffs Royal Infirmary.

It would be wrong of us not to pay tribute and express our gratitude to all the staff involved in the care of my son and for the level of professionalism shown throughout what was a traumatic experience for us. From the Ambulance crew to the Triage team to the Nurses and Surgeons I cannot thank you enough. Your staff are a real credit to the NHS.

As for my son, he is now well on the road to recovery, thank you all so much!

What could have been improved

Nothing..it was 5 star treatment and care from the word go!

Any other comments

Thank you again and again!

Visited in June 2010. Posted on 14 June 2010