Royal Stoke University Hospital

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

This hospital has not been rated yet.

n/a

No recommendations

This hospital has not been rated yet.

squidlet reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Unhappy with early pregnancy care at UHNS

My wife was 8 weeks pregnant following IVF treatment. The evening after her 8 weeks scan (at a private clinic where she'd had IVF), she noticed that she was bleeding. She rang the UHNS switchboard and was put through to someone on the pregnancy unit who advised her she could only be scanned if she got referred by our GP the next day. Her only other advice was to go to A&E.
We decided to wait until the morning, but when my wife was still bleeding we went to A&E. The staff there were not overly concerned (but we were as my wife had previously had a stillborn baby, so we were terrified we were losing this one too). Staff in A&E explained that my wife couldn't have a scan as she'd had one at the fertility clinic the previous day so she wasn't considered to be an emergency! The best they could do was get her a scan appointment for 4 days time.
After a very anxious 4 days my wife went in for her appointment at the Early Pregnancy Unit. After waiting 40 mins past her appointment time she eventually saw a nurse who just wanted to know why she was there for the scan. My wife then had to wait a further 40 mins to actually see someone for the scan, then she had another long wait to see someone who discussed the results with her...all in all she was there for 2 hours!
I am disgusted that not only did we have to wait for 4 days to have a scan, but that when my wife went for the scan she was there for 2 hours! UHNS do not seem to place any importance on patient care...keeping a pregnant woman who is worried she's miscarrying waiting for days and then messing about for 2 hours for just a scan is totally unacceptable in my view.
I am very glad that we chose a hospital over an hour away from Stoke for my wife's first pregnancy and we will be doing the exact same thing for for current pregnancy. UHNS may have brand new facilities but they lack basic respect and understanding for their patients.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 20 September 2014 using Patient Opinion

Opal921 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I would certainly recommend this hospital

I chose the University Hospital of North Staffordshire as it had the least waiting time and would carry out any required treatment at the first visit. My appointment was at 9: 45 am in the Ophthalmology department. I was seen at 9: 45 am, had laser treatment on my eye at 10: 30 am and was having coffee at 11: 15 – all done! ! Fantastic!
I would certainly recommend this hospital. Many thanks to the Ophthalmology department at UHNS

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 09 October 2014 using Patient Opinion

Skippy38 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I felt I was in the best of hands

I was en route to Scotland and slipped on wet grass at Stafford services and dislocated my ankle.
My NHS care was superb, from the care and humour of the West Midlands ambulance crew who took me to hospital, to the prompt and fantastic care and support I received in A&E, right through to my operation the next morning and discharge the following day from ward 225.
I have nothing but praise for the care, professionalism and support from staff. Everyone was very kind, explained what was happening and why. One junior doctor in A&E said she loved working there and it showed. The doctors and nurses seemed highly motivated and this was very re-assuring as I felt I was in the best of hands.
I am now well on the road to recovery thanks to the care I received from the NHS in Staffordshire.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014 using Patient Opinion

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 29 August 2014

Hi Skippy38,
It is always good to receive positive feedback from our patients and we are extremely grateful when they take time to say thank you. The hospital at times works under great pressures yet we all work towards the united goal to ensure our patients are cared for in the best possible way and receive quality care throughout their journey.
I would like to say a big thank you again, news like this really does lift our spirits and I would like to wish you a continued healthy recovery.
Karen Whitehurst
Ward 225

kay2k14 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

birth of my baby boy

I gave birth at the uhns delivery suite 6 weeks n I wud like 2 thank the midwife who took care of me she stayed wiv me throughout my labour/birth I wish I could remember her name im sure it was Abby hope im ryt I cant thank her enough for how she was wiv me and delivering my son she made me feel comfortable and at ease during the time I was in there shes a credit to your team of midwives. She was extremely thorough within her job role and I cant praise her enough... all the midwives on shift that day did a fantastic job n I am very appreciative for how I was treatd whilst in the care of uhns.... once again a massive thank u to the midwife who delievered my baby u are brilliant

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 September 2014 using Patient Opinion

Alfie Moon reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

The paramedics were called to my father who was having breathing difficulties. He was stabilised by them before being transferred to the A&E at the UHNS where he received first class treatment, before being admitted to a Ward.
Thank you to the Doctors, Nurses and staff of Ward 218 SSU for his care and treatment during his stay. Thank you to everyone involved in his care.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 20 August 2014 using Patient Opinion

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 28 August 2014

Hi Alfie Moon,
I would like to thank the patient and family for their kind words and I am very pleased that their stay in the UHNS was a pleasant one. I will relay the message to all of my staff and thank them for their hard work
Regards
Janet Winter
Acting Ward Manager
Ward 218

MikeyD reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

After being terrified about the prospect of surgery, my fears were completely quelled by the attention and total professional care I experienced throughout the entire procedure.
Theatre staff, the consultants and their teams - all combined to give me a new life.
Add to this the experts in Critical Care and ward 223 and this explains why I am composing this letter, whilst starting week four post- op.
Thank you so much and God Bless you.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014 using Patient Opinion

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 01 September 2014

Hi "MikeyD",
Many thanks for your feedback, as a team we always strive to provide the highest possible service and care to our patients and to hear your experience was so positive is something that the whole team will be very happy to hear.
Many Thanks
Janet Cooke
Ward 223

hiraeth reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Fantastic midwife, but some discharge delays

Fantastic care during and immediately after delivery, especially from Midwife Sam (Jealane? ). The organisation the day after was not great, and rather than being discharged at 9am, this happened at 4pm. Entirely predictable issues were not addressed until discharge was imminent, with inevitable significant delays. But this was more than made up for by the midwife the day before.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014 using Patient Opinion

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 08 September 2014

Dear "hiraeth",
I am really pleased that you had fantastic care from Samantha Jealouse please be reassured I will feed back your positive comments to her.I am sorry your care on the ward in relation to the discharge process was not as responsive as it could have been I will feed this back to the wards in order that they can seek ways of improving the pathway.
Karen Meadowcroft
Head of Midwifery

Rocket307 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

The staff could not have been better

I am writing about my father who passed away on the in early Auguest in ward 222.
The nurses and care staff could not have been better. They are true professionals with feeling. Fantastic!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014 using Patient Opinion

University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 27 August 2014

Dear Rocket307,
I am sorry for your recent loss.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your kind words regarding the care of your father on ward 222 are much appreciated.
I will ensure Sister on ward 222 feeds this back to the staff.
Gail Meers
Ward 222

Giant880 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

My experience

Underwent Lung operation at North Staffordshire in 2010. Have non-aggressive endocrine tumour and undergo monthly jog at GP. Have difficulty walking under oncology.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 31 July 2014 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Senior Communications Officer, Communications, University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 08 September 2014

Dear "Giant880"
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Our PALS team will be more than happy to look into any issues you may have regarding the Hospital.
The contact details for the team are as follows:
Telephone: 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or email: patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk

angry carer reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Poor care of patient property and extremely poor attempts at compensation

My Brother in law was admitted to UHNS West Building and was moved from ward to ward several times. He had dementia so this was very unsettling for him. They also managed to lose his slippers and razor during these moves, which would not be a big deal apart from the fact that these were familiar things that he recognised and was very distressed about their loss.
Complaints to the ward and complaints to PALS did not result in the articles being found, so a claim form was completed in Feb, to recover their cost. My Brother in law was moved to Bradwell where he subsequently died.
Many, many complaints to PALs and to CCG and UHNS still have not paid out this compensation, causing his wife yet more distress as she wants closure. 6 months to write a cheque and put an end to relatives suffering is simply beyond a joke.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 31 July 2014 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nick Clowes, Senior Communications Officer, Communications, University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 20 August 2014

Dear ‘angry carer’
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We are sorry that you feel dissatisfied with the care your brother -in-law received.
If you would like to re-submit your query to the PALS team, they will be more than happy to look into the issue for you.
The contact details for the team are as follows: