Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stent operation

My husband has just been on ward 220 and had two stents put in his heart, one was furred up and the other filled with calcium, we cannot praise enough the work of the staff. They are the most competent and able people and really put my husband at ease throughout his treatment. We are forever grateful??

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your experience of ward 220. I do hope your husband is continuing to recover well. I will share your lovely feedback with the team on ward 220 who I know will be pleased to receive it.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

notworriedanymore reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I was terrified but I won't be worried to go back now

I was terrified! But as soon as I got there the staff were friendly, take you straight through and get you ready for the ablation. I was a lucky one and was first to go in. Dr Beynon came to see me, asked how I was and had a brief chat. I was then in the procedure room 5 mins later. Although I got a little upset the staff were brilliant with me, reassuring me always. The procedure wasn't great, I could feel quite a lot but I think that all depends on yourself and how you deal with it. But they sedated me and kept me relaxed. They think it was a success, as they try and restart heart SVT for 20mins. And it wouldn't start. I was back in recovery after 3 hours. The nurses in recovery are great, always smiling, checking on you and making sure you have a cup of tea and sandwich. They are always around to chat to if still worried.
Home the same day about 6pm, I'm very sore in groin and heart is jumping about and fluttering but I'm sure this is the recovery. I hope I get to see Dr Beynon on follow up. And I hope this is a success. If not I won't be worried to go back now. Dr Beynon is very approachable and friendly and reassuring. If you get to have him for procedure you are in good hands!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words about our Cardiology Service at the Royal Stoke Hospital. I am so pleased to read that the staff put you at ease and made you feel reassured during what I am sure must be a very unpleasant procedure to have to go through.
I will share your lovely feedback with the team- I know they will be happy to read your comments.
I do hope you continue to recover well.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Martyn Ball gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Praise for the oral and maxillofacial department

I'd like to express how thankful and impressed I was with the oral and maxillofacial department after a recent visit. My local dentist attempted an extraction and they were unsuccessful in taking out the whole tooth. Roots were left behind after over an hour of trying. I was referred to UHNM and had my appointment on Sunday to remove the rest of the tooth. The receptionist, the assistants and the dental surgeon in the treatment room were all very friendly, welcoming and reassuring. I felt completely at ease in the chair and the procedure itself was stress calm and stress free. I felt no pain before and very minimal pain once the anaesthetic wore off. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't have thought I'd had anything done. The NHS gets a lot of negative press these days so I'd just like to post something positive to demonstrate what an excellent and precious thing we have. Many thanks.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our hospital, and so pleased to read it was a positive experience.
I will share your kind words with the Oral and Maxillofacial Department- I know they will be very happy to receive such lovely feedback.

Wife of patient gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hospital Phobic Patient

Although I am not able to say a previous visit to this hospital went well, with serious complaints about some of the staff, on this occasion a visit to A&E was faultless.Both the consultant and staff nurse who looked after my husband were exceptional in the manner in which they managed not only his medical well being but his psychological needs as well. Once I had explained his fear of hospitals to them, they both acted immediately which helped reduce his anxiety and thus made him more amenable to his environment. He is naturally a very quiet person and is very appreciative of the smallest kindness .He would never dream of complaining about being looked upon as a problem which can sometimes be seen to be the case.
The staff, including the CT imaging department, the porter and reception staff on duty PM 16th Febuary, Thank You. Would the Matron overseeing A&E please bring this to the attention of the staff involved.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 18 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 22 February 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our A&E Department. I will share your kind words with the staff in A&E- I know they will be very pleased to receive your feedback. I am so pleased to read that the staff took the time to make your husband feel as comfortable as possible.

I have also noted your comments around a previous attendance to the hospital not meeting your expectations. If you have not already done so, I would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01782 676451 or via email at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net to provide further information to allow us to investigate your concerns.
With kindest regards

Anonymous reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I had been treated for Cystitis with Antibiotics and returned to the Practise after the symptoms returned! as previously discussed with the G/P practice to bring a sample to reception with a note attached for the Practise Nurse to test and send a urine sample to the lab for further investigation.
I returned to the Practise the following week to be told by my G/P the sample had not been labeled correctly and therefore not tested by the laboratory despite the sample containing blood and protein in the dip stick test and this would indicate to a trained Registered Nurse! infact myself that it was showing signs of infection.
There was no apology from the G/P or indication of staff training in this area, in my opinion as a Registered Nurse! It seemed like incompetence and of course an embarrassing example of lack of care or understanding to the suffering of a female patient.
I then spent a wasted journey on three occasions and in this last visit I actually decided not to leave the Practise untill the Practice nurse had dip tested my urine test and I was in this visit for an hour. Thankfully a clear result of this specimen!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Si Co reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Repair to hand after paramotor accident

I put my hand accidentally through a spinning propeller, badly lacerating 3 fingers, which resulted in the amputation of my index finger and the reconstruction of the other 2.
I felt well looked after.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Sarah Jane gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing care

I gave birth to my son at the midwife birthing centre and the care I received during delivery and in the five days following was amazing. All the staff looked after me and my son, from the cleaning staff who would replace my towels and change my bed every day, to the amazing midwives and nurses and paediatrician. They kept me and my husband informed at all times, gave my son exemplary care when he needed it and the failities were amazing - you couldn't have asked for more if you paid to go private. I'll always look back at the birth of my son with happy memories thanks to all the staff at the hospital.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 24 February 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Christine Greatbanks gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

EMG Neurophysiology test out patient 9/2/17

When I last visited this hospital it was before the revamp ! Wow what a difference , the auto sign in is great ,I was overwhelmed I must admit , not a lot of help how to get to where you need to go , first time for this type of appointment ,
I was worried saw a U Tube of procedure scared myself , the women was very distress ! I then made my self worried , I phoned the secretary for this dept they explained not to worry Ect . Well I was worried . But I have to admit the kindness and help of this DR whom did this test was wonderful they put me at ease , was courteous , and showed concern for my comfort,
They constantly spoke to me taking my mind off the procedure , I am full of praise from my visit very happy, and thanked the doctor and their staff for there kindness and understanding of my nervousness .
The hospital was spotless and clean to .
I wish it was easier to navigate to the hospital , and clearer directions to depts .

Ms Greatbanks

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Dear Ms Greatbanks,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our hospital. I am so pleased to read that your test went well and the staff looked after you and made you feel at ease.
With regards to the Trust signage, we do currently have a project underway looking at the signage and way-finding in the hospital to ensure it is the best it can be. I will share your feedback with this group for their consideration.

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 222

Amazed at the individual care provided. The staff had time to talk and explain procedures. They answered all my questions, and were very friendly and supportive. At no time did I feel isolated or left in a queue. I find it difficult to understand how my experiences fits in with negative media reports..

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 January 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 January 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience of the care you received on Ward 222. I will share your lovely words with the Matron and Ward Manager who will ensure your praise is shared with the ward staff.
Feedback such as yours really does make such a difference to the staff in our hospital who work so hard to ensure our patients and visitors receive excellent care.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Kenneth Booth gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Survey for the last time i came to the Royal Stoke Hospital

I was very please with service i got from the staff at the Royal Stoke Hospital everyone really looked after me thank you very much Kenneth Booth.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 20 January 2017

Dear Mr Booth,

It makes a big difference to our staff morale when we receive feedback such as yours- thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our hospital.

With kind regards