Royal Stoke University Hospital

Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Communications Problems

Had out patients appointment and after 20 minutes was taken in to see a doctor. He never introduced himself, did not have a name badge on. After 4 minutes appointment finished.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 February 2015

Dear 'Anonymous'

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands.

May we suggest that you contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Senior Communications Officer, Communications, University Hospitals of North Midlands

O. Davies reviewed Gynaecology at Royal Stoke University Hospital

emergency gynae appointment

What a great improvement on a hospital outpatient appointment . I attended on the 18t h Feb 2015 for an urgent appointment at the gynae clinic, I first had to go for scans then on to the clinic to be seen. I was seen very quickly at the scanning department and treated with great respect of my personal dignity and shown courtesy by the male radiographer and female colleague.
Next to the booking in booths these are very impersonal but quick. One of the hostesses in the main foyer could obviously see us scanning round as to where to go and offered assistance and was extremely helpful. Next to the clinic, again we were very surprised at the speed of being seen and again I could not fault the courtesy and pleasant nature of the staff. We were not rushed and given full explanations to every thing that was happening.
All I can say is that I noted a great improvement on the services provided, and praise should be given to all the staff concerned. Thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

rosemary bailey reviewed at Royal Stoke University Hospital

recent visit

the main text of my review is that I spent a night in this hospital I would like to say that all the staff that I came in contact were helpful and understanding as I was in a lot of pain with chest pain.

the staff in ambulance triage were very apologetic has I had to wait but eventually I was seen the staff were very understanding always had a polite and consideration to all the patients which had come to Aand E by ambulance,all the nurses, doctors,cleaners do a very important job and I would recommend the royal stoke university hospital to family and friends.

The staff were caring,helpful, understanding, so all the staff do a good job looking after people who are unwell.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 February 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

the phone system is ridiculous now one answers the phones or is does not tell you you are in a Que when trying to track down a loved one it is very frustrating also when you get through to reception they redirect you to the wrong place where the staff can barley speak english and dont have a clue what you are on about

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 16 January 2015

Dear "Anonymous"

Please can you contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Thank you and best wishes, UHNM Communications Team.

John Bates gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Personal comments on NHS service, especially at RSUH

As stated below, I was admitted into the SAU on 10th January, by ambulance having been referred there by my own GP. The admission and reception process, initial examination and subsequent transfer into Ward 100 followed swiftly into Ward 101 was all one could ask for.
In the Ward I was treated respectfully by all the staff, medical and nursing and have no complaints at all concerning my time there.
It is a great pity that the NHS and especially A & E departments are getting so much bad publicity from the press, including radio & TV. All the staff we have encountered do their job efficiently, without side or complaint and make the patient as comfortable as possible.
My wife has had to be admitted into A & E several times in the past 12 months for stroke assessment, UTI treatment and eye treatment as well. In most cases she was transferred to Ward 232 or 233, and, in every case, she has been well cared for by all concerned; having to wait some 10 hours in A & E for a bed is not the fault of the hospital as inferred in the press; we well realise that you cannot guarantee having spare beds in specialist Wards available at all time of the day or night.
The inferred overloading of A & E departments seems to be due to many people coming in for attention to minor injuries or illnesses, taking up valuable time of those on duty to cope with the more serious emergencies. I have personally made use of the 111 phone system on several occasions as well as using our local minor injuries & illnesses unit at Leek Moorlands Hospital
We would both like to take this opportunity to express our thanks to all concerned for our treatment and care and hope it may continue thus for years to come.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 01 February 2015

Dear 'John Bates'

Many thanks for taking the time to give feedback.

It is always very pleasing to get such great comments from patients. We are very pleased you had such a good experience in our hospital.

It is very important to us that we deliver a high standard of care.

University Hospitals of North Midlands

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

none smoking and parking

maybe I should have titled it none parking and smoking the parking facilities are a nightmare not only does it take an absolute age to park, I fully expect one day to see a fight in the car park I saw people getting quite aggressive whilst looking for a space to park in time to make there appointment and then when you have finally parked you are expected to pay extortionate parking fee's as if we come there for our own entertainment. then as if that wasn't enough after parking you have to walk through clouds of cigarette smoke off people being allowed to smoke freely under the No Smoking signs while the smoking shelter stands empty. in conclusion the Hospital and its nursing staff I find exceptional but the parking and security or lack of I find an absolute disgrace.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 08 January 2015

Dear 'Anonymous'

Many thanks for your e-mail. The Trust recognises that car parking on the Royal Stoke site is extremely challenging at present. Car parking capacity has been reduced in the short-term as a result of significant on-going site re-development works. Once these works have been completed, the number of on-site available car parking spaces will increase. In addition, the Trust is working up a longer term strategy to determine the most effective option to increase car parking capacity and manage car parking demand in the future.

The Trust will re-focus efforts on moving any smokers on site away from main entrances to the nearest smoking shelter facility in an effort to keep our main entrance areas smoke and litter free.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and would like to provide reassurance that action is being taken to address these issues.

Mark Fisher

Interim Transitional Manager

Corporate Services

Anonymous gave at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Generally good experiences of A&E and CDU

I've been to this A&E 4 times, the last 2 times I've seen two different lovely consultants who definitely made things less distressing. I've never had to wait too long even when very busy. Generally staff are kind and considerate with a few exceptions. It is definitely a good A&E department though!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 12 January 2015

Dear 'Anonymous'

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive response about your experience at University Hospitals of North Midlands.

We are glad that you are pleased about the care you received.

UHNM Communications team

David Pennell gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CTS lived up my high expectation

On 19th December 2014 I indicated that I would need to visit CTS in January 2015 (today). I was seen promptly by a very friendly, courteous and professional member of the medical staff who ensured that I was fully aware of the procedure to be undertaken before escorting me to the Consultant. When in the day theatre I was acquainted with the potential aftermath of the "operation" by "the patient orientated" staff and I am left with the feeling of having been in the hands of caring professionals.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 22 January 2015

Dear 'David Pennell'

Thank you for your feedback following your visit with us in CTS at UHNM, we appreciate this feedback and will ensure that the teams involved are informed of this positive experience.

We thrive to provide patients with the best care possible and it is so encouraging to see that this ethos is reflected in the experience you had with us.

Thanks and best wishes

Kevin Parker

Deputy Associate Chief Nurse

Surgical Division

not impressed gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

visiting

I visited my uncle on ward 221 today after being taken in with a kidney infection. The lady at reception was helpful enough in showing me where to find him but once I had entered his room it was obvious he was in some discomfort and needing to go the toilet. My uncle is an 83 year old very proud and independent man and informed me that staff had told him as they were giving out dinners he would have to wait but not to worry if he did go as there was a sheet underneath him! So much for dignity and respect! An hour and a quarter later he eventually got help. I had to sit and listen to a staff member telling patients how marvellous they were under the circumstances and how understaffed they were with 3/4 members of staff sitting at the nurses station the whole time I was there. When asked if someone could help they looked at me like I'd gone slightly mad and told me to wait. I know there are staffing issues but making an 83 year old gent wait that long is not acceptable and the attitudes of some staff very unprofessional!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 23 January 2015

Dear 'not impressed'

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospital of North Midlands.

UHNM Communications Team.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Great Ward Staff, shame about the rest.

Having been admitted via A&E - after 7 hours- I was very happy about the way staff on the ward treated me. However hard the tried they could not provide any meals for me, one that was provided had items in it to which I was allergic, and the staff knew about it. So for the past three days all I had to eat was a potion of cheese & biscuits, and three pieces of cake. Although my medical problem is still not resolved, I came home so that I could get a hot meal. I would not agree the being admitted to this hospital ever again, no matter what was wrong with me.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 02 January 2015

Dear "Anonymous"

Thank you and best wishes, UHNM Communications Team.