Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Antenatal clinic appalling

Today I visited the antenatal clinic, I am currently 34+4 pregnant and have previous medical history of a TIA attack, PFO closure, currently have a leaking heart valve and struggle with breathless and chest pain. Doctors have been trying to diagnose if I can have natural labour but think it's best I have a section. The doc I saw today didn't look at any of my history, abruptly told me "No, natural labour, go for your growth scan" the doctor didn't want to listen to me, the doctor hadn't looked at my medical history, the doctor didn't check baby movements or how baby is growing. I'd waited an hour for this late appointment and was very disappointed, I don't feel safe to have my baby at this hospital as no one wishes to listen or care and putting myself and a baby in their hands doesn't make me feel safe. The doctor was the rudest doc I've ever met or seen!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our maternity service. I am so sorry to read of your disappointment. As an organisation we continually strive to improve where we do not meet expectations. As such, I would be very grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to allow us to further investigate the issues you have raised. PALS is contactable via email on patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net or via telephone to 01782 676451.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

COS gave Vascular surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Discharge procedures appalling

My husband was rushed in overnight by ambulance and was reviewed by a surgeon, who, by all accounts was great.
Received a call from my husband at 1030 this morning that he was just awaiting a tetanus injection, prescription and his discharge letter.

I drove the 45 mins to pick him up. Whilst we appreciate some delay, I write this at 4.45pm. No appreciation for family commitments and whilst I could have taken just a few hours off I have had to book a full day' leave. Poor communication and no interdepartmental working apparently

I would like to think this is a one off but somehow doubt it. Get the pen pushers on the ground to see where the bottlenecks occur rather than preaching to the people at the sharp end.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our Trust. As an organisation, we continually strive to provide outstanding patient care and it is disappointing that on this occasion, we did not do this. I will share your feedback with the manager of the vascular ward.
We are currently undertaking an improvement project around discharges and I will ensure your comments are also shared with this group.

Dismayed48 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Poor staff attitude

Very disappointed. Arrived with my mother for MRI scan of knee. Followed all directions given on paperwork regarding clothing, no jewellery/metal etc. On arrival receptionist very friendly. Called through on time & Mum asked/answered questions to a staff member who passed everything as ok (no jewellery etc). Enter another staff member with immediately abrupt attitude. They stated they didnt like to scan through clothes and despite having no metal zips/clips/fastenings at all, insisted my mum should take off her trousers & wear a gown-something my mum hates because she is a bigger lady. Only one front-fastening gown, which tied very high leaving lower half exposed when walking even with attempt to hold gown together (please remember this is an area shared by opposite sex).
When staff returned asking if she was ready I said no, not really, was then asked why & pointed out gown was inadequate to cover lower half/was too small & guidance papers sent before scan had been followed so this should not be necessary. Attitude got worse by the minute & I was told to wait outside & they would get another gown.
I waited outside & asked for staff's name, explaining I found them to be abrupt, dismissive & unconcerned with my mothers dignity.
When my mother came out, it was suggested I speak with staff before raising a complaint. Due to their previous attitude I did not feel obliged to do so but thought perhaps they been having a bad day and an opportunity to apologise might resolve the issue. No such luck.
They came out to the door & just stood there until I asked if they'd like me to come through & once through they failed to allow me to finish a single sentence without interruption. Sadly, had the same attitude I've had before from medical staff at this hospital, kept their badge covered & refused to give their name. I stated it was clear in my opinion, they did not want to listen & was just leaving as I glimpsed their name. I said their name & stated I would now make a complaint to which it was suggested that I write my complaint then they'll go write their notes.
Sadly, I am yet to have a single positive experience at this hospital. In my experience, all relatives/carers dismissed or ignored, as usual, patient privacy & dignity not maintained & as usual we leave here hoping we never have to return. Dont know why I bother since complaints never solve anything here but on principle I will now make a formal complaint.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

I am sincerely sorry to read of your experience of the service you and your mother received at our hospital. As a Trust, we continually strive to provide high quality care and welcome comments such as yours so we may learn and improve.
I understand from your feedback that you have raised a formal complaint. If there is anything further we can do to support you at this time, please do not hesitate to contact either myself on 01782 675487 or our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01782 676451 or via email at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

poor for carers

Referred to hospital by gp for serious infection. Admitted quickly once eventually parked and found ward . Three hrs later husband declining needed rehydration in extreme pain and getting delirious. Nurses unable to provide any palliative care until junior doctor arrived. Even though husband kept saying talk to me they ignored me even though I had all the history. Despite the fact he has severe chest infection he has been referred to urology consultant who will not talk to me and is proposing life changing and debilitating surgery that affects both our lives. Staff on 107 never answer phone. I am concerned that he is not being given treatment for correct thing but unable to talk to anyone. He's now on oxygen and seems to be getting worse not better. So hospital needs to improve its communication with carers who are there to share facts not be a nuisance.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 May 2017

I am so very sorry to read your comments. I would be very grateful if you could contact me personally on 01782 675487 or via email to Rebecca.smith2@uhnm.nhs.uk or contact our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) if you have not already done so to allow us to support you at this time.
PALS can be contacted on 01782 676451 or via email to patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Ruth Hassall gave Vascular surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and amazing staff

I was admitted yesterday for an operation under general anaesthetic in the vascular surgery department. I was cared for on ward 105 in the Lyme building.
I wanted to take the time to thank and commend all the staff there from the doctors and nurses, anaesecist, reception staff, friendly staff cleaning the room (and anyone that I have missed!)
The staff were professional, competent and extremely kind and caring, even with the difficulties faced with the recent hacking crisis. We are very lucky to have such hard working and caring professionals to look after us. I for one will never take the services that the NHS provide for granted. Thank you all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 17 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback around your recent experience on Ward 105. I will ensure your lovely words are sent to Sister Hammond for her to share with her team.
When patients take the time to comment on their experience, it really does help improve staff morale and I know the team on 105 will very much appreciate receiving your comment.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

Donna gave Haematology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Haematology department

I stumbled across this review page and given the excellent care that I've received at the hospital over the past 16 months, felt that I should comment to reflect this.
I've had investigations at both the Gynaecolgy and Colorectal departments, again both excellent, however my main reason for regular visits since April 16, has been to the Haematology department, following a Leukaemia diagnosis. I'm commenting to express my gratitude to the team for my fabulous care throughout. The consultant that gave me my diagnosis has been fabulous and I continue to be reviewed by them, which gives a consistent service. It's fantastic to be able to put complete trust in someone to look after my health, knowing that they'll do their best for my well being. I've also had access to a specialist nurse (or two), who have been invaluable and who have been a phone call away for results, queries etc and again, I really appreciate this personalised service. My specialist nurse also performed my bone marrow biopsy last year in a reassuring manner and the nurses who helped were all fantastic. I also had a referral to a cancer psychologist during a period of anxiety and this was really helpful too. The haematology secretaries are always very pleasant if I need to call in and all of the consultants/Registrars that I've seen throughout have been great! Again, many, many thanks to the department!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 18 May 2017

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital. Feedback such as yours really does make a difference to our staff who work so hard to provide excellent care to our patients and visitors. I will ensure your lovely words are shared with all the teams you mention. I know they will be much appreciated.
Thank you once again.
With my very best wishes
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent care

My friend was admitted to the stroke room of A & E where nurse took care of him confidently, quietly, efficiently and with the appropriate sense of humour. What an excellent nurse, absolutely top class. I may be a dinosaur ex sister on ICU but I can tell a fine nurse when I come across one. They managed his immediate critical care and he responded brilliantly.
By the time my friend reached the ward the nurse had done a 12 hr shift, What a star!

Ward 232 who took over my friends treatment were kind and, patient and he received excellent care. They were very attentive ,from cleaner to doctor- he wanted for nothing.

In these times of such turmoil within the NHS and with such talk of doom and gloom the staff I encountered were a credit to the Hospital and the NHS. I cannot praise them highly enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on yours and your friends recent experience of our hospital. Feedback like yours makes such a difference to our staff who really do work hard to provide a high standard of care, in what are sometimes quite challenging conditions.
I will ensure your lovely words are shared with the A&E Team and with the Team on 232. I know they will be very pleased to receive your comments.
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Andy Warhol gave Plastic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Melanoma/ Massive mole removal

I had a consultant visit which was done quickly and efficiently. I waited no more than ten minutes after my appointed time. I was treated courteously and professionally at all times by the reception staff, nurse and consultant. Could not have wished for more. The consultant recommended two operations to remove "lesions" on my back and on the front thigh. As I have many freckles and moles, the consultant also took photographs with my 'phone so that the surgeons could easily locate the problem, at the next visit.

I returned for the operation a week later. My appointment was exactly on time. The changing rooms were spotless, and had a locker to store my possessions.
I was questioned by two different staff re allergies, address etc, and again by te attending surgeon whereupon I signed the release to operate.

I was attended by a junior doctor observing only, a surgeon, and a chief surgeon who advised and appeared to be training the others.There was also a nurse and another person who supplied all the equipment. They were all very competent and clearly worked seamlessly as a team. After a few anesthetic injections, had a four inch incision in my right thigh. Another smaller procedure was carried out on my back. Total time was approximately one hour.

The staff were all helpful and answered questions all my questions where possible. The chief surgeon was also very amusing and had me laughing out loud several times. At the end, after redressing, I was given a short talk by two nurses who explained how to take care of my wound, and an explanation of what to do if I had heavy bleeding etc etc.

I should note that my operation took place on the same day as the malware attack, and whilst the doctors and other staff were no doubt under added pressure, you certainly would not have noticed.

I would like to take this opportunity to say Thank You to all at the Royal and the NHS. You are the greatest and I will be forever grateful.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 23 May 2017

Dear Mr Warhol
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this very positive feedback. It is great to hear that you received such an excellent experience and I will share your comments with the Plastic Surgery team. I hope you are recovering well from your operations
Kind Regard
Angela Grocott
Head of Patient Experience

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

little boy with broken arm

My young child broke their arm and at first I took him to A and E. The staff were great with him we didn't have to wait long at all. The doctors and nurses had a very pleasant manner and explained what was going to happen regarding x rays and the plaster cast. My child was then admitted onto a children's ward for the night and again all the nurses and staff had a lovely manner and explained what was happening thoroughly and made a fuss of him. They were very attentive to him and i felt that he was really being looked after extremely well. The following day he had an operation and again all the staff we came into contact with were fabulous. The doctors, nurses and all other hospital staff did a absolutely fantastic job and we can't thank you enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback about the care your son recently received at our hospital. I will share your posting with the teams involved in his care. Receiving feedback like yours really does make a difference to our hard working, busy staff. I hope your son is recovering well from his injury
Angela Grocott
Head of Patient Experience

Inconsequential? gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

A&E.

Why no drop down for A&E? Admitted to A&E last week with a deep head wound and other injuries including a bone displacement.
Initially seen fairly quickly and taken to a bay. Pain relief totally inadequate, and it would have been nearly 12 hours had I had stayed any longer for suturing to have taken place. Was very hungry and thirsty, although the tea trolley did visit. Sandwiches were supplied but with stale bread and a piece of plastic 'cheese' - completely inedible, so I decided to give them a miss. I am not a fussy eater, but there are limits!
Doctor reduced my bone without first asking me if I needed anything for the pain, although I was in so much pain beforehand - did it matter? Discharged myself at 02.30 when I needed to get home to (1) get some pain relief (2) get something to eat before I was sick (3) get my head fixed elsewhere.
I understand hospitals are not hotels and you are not obliged to feed patients, but when you haven't eaten for 14 hours and you are a diabetic, food becomes an essential part of survival! When you are told pain relief would be given and it wasn't, is that good care............I think not? I was moved three times while in a bay, this is most unsettling for patients, time consuming and almost treating the patient as if they were a commodity! There was little continuity, staff came and went and if the whole hospital is run like this, is it any wonder this hospital is in so much debt? There is not a shortage of money in the NHS just a total mismanagement of it. I am sure it would help if medical and nursing staff with many years experience rather than 'pen pushers', the latter having a degree in everything but common sense, had more of an input into what goes on and how the 'shop floor' is run.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 16 April 2017

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 19 April 2017

I am grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to A&E however I am very disappointed to read of your experience. As an organisation, we continually strive to provide a high standard of care. As such we would welcome the opportunity to further investigate the issues you have raised.
If you have not already done so, please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01782 676451 or via email to patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net to provide more information and allow us to look into these issues.