Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave Vascular surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

urgent letter put in the routine box

On Friday 26/8/16 my mum went to her gp having found she had an aortic aneurysm which was 9.5cm, (5.5cm is when an operation is looked at). The GP sent an urgent referral to the hospital and on friday 9th sept i rang to see when the appointment with the vascular surgeons might be, i was put through to endless departments and spoke to at least 5 people one of which was very rude, only to be told my mums letter was put on the routine file and it was up to the gp to mark it as urgent. On phoning the gp they were insistent they had marked it urgent and sent it to the hospital again, later that day i had a call saying my mums appointment was now 13th sept...good job i chased it up, whoever put it in the wrong pile wants sacking.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 16 September 2016

I am so sorry to read your feedback regarding your mother’s appointment. We are continually looking for ways to improve our services and would welcome the opportunity to investigate this further. If you could contact the PALS department via the telephone on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455, or via email to: patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net to provide further details, I would be very grateful.

Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Visited A&E yesterday evening with elderly parent everything as expected,but found drink vending machine and water dispenser not in operation. Simply things that have got to be provided when waiting for up to 2-3 hours.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 18 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 20 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience in A&E. I am so sorry that the vending machine and the water dispenser were out of action. I have forwarded your comments to both the Matron for Facilities and the Matron for A&E to ensure this has been rectified and, where possible, does not happen again.

Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Richard Knight gave Neurosurgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A big thanks

To everyone on ward 228 for looking after me after my back surgery.I was treated like a king and the staff couldn't do enough for me.I was on ward 227 in April for 10 days and again all the staff were super,and couldn't do enough for me.A big thanks also to my surgeon, what a kind,empathetic person,and a credit to their profession.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 22 September 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience in our hospital. Feedback such as your really does make a huge difference to our staff. I have shared your kind words with the teams on ward 227 & 228.

I do hope you are continuing to recover well from your surgery.

Mo gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CT Scan abdominal area

Excellent service,extremely friendly staff. Hats off as they work really hard. Got picked up by paramadeic enroute to work, I was in agony and extreme pain due to suspected kidney stones. Paramadeic were were supportive, so was the hospital staff, porters, consultants. I felt dizzy whilst waiting to be picked up after the scan and spoke to the member of staff at the near main entrance / pharmacy side. They kept checking on me now and again to make sure I was ok as I was lying down on the chair due to pain. The dispenser / pharmacists at Lloyds pharmacy inside the hospital saw me lying on the chair and came to check on me. Thank you all for making me feel comfortable. Back to Birmingham safe and sound now.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 22 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 27 September 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our hospital. Feedback like yours really does make a difference to our staff who work extremely hard to deliver a high standard of service to all our patients and visitors.
I do hope you are continuing to recover well.

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Useless

Dr.s Do not communicate with patients about medication, do not communicate with family. Theyve got a "were not bothered attitude". The food is absolutely shocking, i wouldnt give it to a dog. The choice of food is also shocking. All they want is to get you out asap to free the bec up. There is no care anymore in hospitals, they just donr give a damn anymore.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 26 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 27 September 2016

I am so sorry to read your comments about your recent experience. We are continually working to improve our services for all patients and visitors and I am grateful to you for taking the time to leave feedback.
I have shared your comments with the Matron who oversees the food service.
If there is anything further you would like to discuss regarding the level of communication, I would be grateful if you could contact our PALS department on 01782 676455 or via email at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.

Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Patricia gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Feel cared about

Since developing Addisons disease I have found the care in the endocrinology dept brilliant I am always given time to say what I need to and feel listened to. I have a contact if I feel unwell or have a query this is great its helped me come to terms with the illness knowing someones there if I need them.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 03 September 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 06 September 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience of our hospital. I have shared your lovely feedback with the Endocrinology Department. They are very proud of the service they deliver and are very appreciative of your comments.

Best Wishes
Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience.

Anonymous reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

Awful

Currently, 4:46 am, Monday morning. I arrived about two hours ago now in an ambulance due to excruciating abdominal stabbing pains so bad I could hardly move. I was dragged in on a bed then dragged onto a wheelchair then told I needed to be back in a bed therefore dragged back onto one, then dragged into another wheelchair that is the most uncomfortable peice of trash I have ever seen. Bare in mind this entire time I'm in the corridor that is full of other people too, so there's no privacy or dignity what so ever. I am then taken into a cold waiting room with a bunch of other people whilst still screaming in pain. They haven't told me anything. I don't know what's wrong with me, I don't know what I'm waiting for, I don't know if I'm next on the list or 60th on the list. There are people walking about left right and centre staring at me in astonishment as I cry at the pain.(I don't blame them, but still, no privacy or dignity here, and for a person with severe anxiety this is a big deal) This god damn chair is the most uncomfortable thing I'm actually considering laying on the floor. All of the staff seem like unfriendly, inhuman zombies. Nobody seems to know nothing. I would rather be at home in my comfortable bed where I can lie down. Instead of sat here being stared at by a bunch of strangers and completely ignored by staff. Honestly, this is absolutely atrocious, and even if it's "Sunday hours" o shouldn't be punished because of what day my body decided to mess up on. The disturbing thing is here that in future I will probably be at home and could suddenly be dying and I still would be very very hesitant to call an ambulance because I'd much rather be at home than seek the medical help I need because let's face it, no medical help here! Hey, at least I've got a nice hospital bracelet so I can remember this terrible experience, that and about half of my nights sleep gone. Still sat here. Debating wether or not to go home. Swaying towards leaving right now. I just don't want it to get worse, then again, even if it did get worse here, it's not as if anybody's gonna do anything about it. Sorry body, it seems you'll have to sit there and wait at least four hours before anybody will bat an eyelid.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 01 August 2016

Dear Anonymous
We strive to provide the very best standards of care and and we would like to investigate the issues you have raised. We would be very grateful if you could provide some additional information about your experience by contacting our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.
Thank you and best wishes.

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital

Passive Smoking

After visiting a patient in the maternity complex I was amazed that people were allowed to smoke at the entrance of the building you could smell the smoke from the cigarets in the side rooms. The expectant Mothers who choose not to smoke during there pregnancy are subject to smoke that billows up to their rooms through the open windows from the smokers who can't be bothered to smoke just across the way in the smoking shelter. There are patients who are too ill to get out of bed to close the windows so they have to waist the staffs valuable time by buzzing to ask for there Windows to be closed then the patient has to be deprived of "fresh air" (providing there are no smokers below there windows)

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 04 August 2016

Dear Anonymous
We strive to provide the very best standards of care and we would like to investigate the issues you have raised. We would be very grateful if you could provide some additional information about your experience by contacting our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net. Thank you and best wishes.

Anne Dickinson gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to the breast care clinic

All the staff were excellent and efficient , following a recall from routine screening , I have had a biopsy seen a consultant been diagnosed and a date for surgery given in one week. All the staff in the breast care clinic were caring and fully explained each stage. My consultant was charming and explained fully . Support from other staff members were again excellent. An appointment at the PreAMS was on time and all staff were friendly and efficient

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 06 August 2016

Dear Anne
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust. We are very pleased that you were satisfied with the level of care you received and that you feel you had a positive experience.
We will pass your comments on to the breast care team

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Oppression in a care Environment

Man's inhumanity to Man certainly exists in A & E dept. Interaction between staff and patient is not encouraged or recommended. When dialogue is essential staff talk in a monotone incongruent manner with and air of oppressive authority. When waiting to be seen or advised, which is the most of the time you are ignored with contempt. The final act of humiliation is served when you are seated in a wheel chair and taken to a holding area for an indefinite wait. I had arrived here under the recommendation of a paramedic who believed that I may be suffering from a bulged disk in my back. I have advanced Parkinson's and had been recently been diagnosed Sciatica on my left side resulting in paralysis and excruciating pain . The wait of about two hours before my wife arrived amounted to cruelty. I could not walk had no access to the loo or my Parkinson's meds and left with no explanation.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 16 August 2016

We are so sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience in our A&E department and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01782 676450 at your own convenience.
Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience.