University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhns.nhs.uk

Maddy Wildblood gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 5 stars

Thankyou

I recently visited A & E with a dislocated shoulder. During the course of my treatment I visited Reception, Triage, X Ray, Fractures, Resuscitation & CDU. Everywhere, I was treated with the utmost respect and consideration. The nurses and doctors were professional but extremely understanding and kind. Everyone, porters, doctors, nurses, cleaners were friendly and happy to help. I can't thank them enough.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 07 April 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

beverley mander gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic

Dislocated my right shoulder evening of 6th of March. All the staff in A&E were amazing and very reassuring. Myself and my husband were treated with dignity and respect at all times. I'm a staff nurse myself so was worried about being on 'the other side' but cannot fault the staff at all. Would like to say a huge thank you for piecing me back together again! Sorry I can't remember any names. Keep up the fab work :)

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 01 April 2014

Elizabeth reviewed University Hospital Of North Staffordshire

safety issues outside Main Building

There seems to be a complete lack of staff action regarding safety issues on the plaza at the entrance to Main Building. Having spent 50 minutes driving to the hospital to collect a day patient at hospital staff request direct from the treatment area, there was no signage on Hilton Road indicating the route to Main Building. After several wrong turns into other entrances I discovered that it was on the City General site even though website says the complex is called 'University Hospital'. I then spent another 15 minutes driving around trying to find the 20 minute pick-up point listed on the website. No-one has bothered to put a sign on the building works fence to indicate a left turn |(on a very sharp bend) onto the plaza.
What a chaotic scene as drivers suddenly turned left. Drivers including myself were slowly going around the plaza trying to find the drop-off point parking with ambulances on our tail. All the signage says 'no parking ambulances only'. After doing several circles I parked up in an ambulance space. On asking reception staff (cheerless environment) where the parking was (no parking attendant) I was told 'out there'. Trying to get further clarification as to the precise location of parking spaces was impossible. However I was assured that I could leave the car where it was.
Staff told me that they couldn't do anything about the situation. I had the same reply from the departmental staff who told me it was the responsibility of another company. Both sets of staff said they had had a lot of complaints.
I left with the impression that the management have a complete disregard for the health of drivers (stress and tiredness levels), unsafe exiting/entrancing from/into vehicles into the path of oncoming 'confused' vehicles and ambulances, vehicle accident safety and environmental pollution from cars being driven needlessly.
What has 'another company' got to do with it? I thought all employees have a responsibility for a safe environment. It is incredible that there isn't a single member of NHS staff who is capable of producing laminated paper signage and attaching it securely to fencing and posts while management hunt for funds to purchase 'proper' signs. The planning oversight can be rectified quite easily and immediately so why haven't managers responded to previous complaints? The building didn't open yesterday.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 25 March 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire replied on 03 April 2014

May I first of all apologise for any inconvenience or uncertainty that this may have caused during your recent visit to the Trust
As I am sure you will appreciate, the re-development of the hospital site has brought many challenges and a complex logistical transformational project - with building work, building demolitions, car park redevelopments, roadway alterations and associated street furniture being altered and adjusted over a protracted period of time.
The Trust has communicated all site alterations by the use of on-site temporary signage, in addition to illustrative site maps which are distributed with patient letters and information, and are shown on the UHNS website.
I can advise that the area to which you refer will shortly be completely remodelled, with a programme of works that will include new access roads, together with a change of usage at the main entrance, to facilitate more Disabled parking bays and short stay drop-off car parking bays. I can further advise that the new roads will provide new street furniture, and will also include the provision of permanent way-finding signage.
In the meantime, and in response to your concerns, I will arrange for my colleagues within the Trusts Estates department, to audit the signage on this part of the site, and install additional signage where and if required.
Once again, my apologies for any inconvenience cause during your visit, and thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.
Mark Fisher
Head of Facilities Management
University Hospital of North Staffordshire

NHS_User gave University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 1 stars

Inpatient post operative care and discharge

I am of the opinion that beds and patients are an anathema to the NHS. Recovery times given are so short and the constant harangment of the physios, 3 on my first postoperative day, 2 visits by discharge staff, 2 by a very aggressive doctor that I had never seen or treated myself. My consultant had arranged for a side ward due to my very unsociable and personally restrictive gastric problems. My consultant had also given me a couple of days extra to recover and be monitored due to infections and postoperative complications that have manifested themselves. Due to the absence of my consultant the staff ignored completely his instructions and took it upon themselves to discharge me asap or move me to a place that would cause me the greatest inconvenience and also with no regard for the other patients and my self esteem. On asking the phsios, who disonhor that name, for advice on strengthening and mobility their retort was that they did not give this service. Their sole aim in life was on "the stairs". It did not matter how I could accomplish this task several times a day as long as I could climb 2 stairs. This was insulting with lack of forethought and basis caring for the discharge of patients. Having has cervical spine and ulnar nerve surgery with a heart condition, On an ECG graph taken, the ward doctor said I had no problem, Armed with the same graph my doctor has referred me, on an urgent basis to a heart specialist.
I find it very little to compliment the UHNS on any area of patient care The money given to produce an outstanding community hospital has been unwisely spent. I speak on behalf of every person with whom I discus this hospital and the services it provides and trying to find them is a nightmare. The UHNS morfs into the City General ? or this building or that with pathetic signage. Endless corridors that visitors need to add half an hour to the visiting time that are at the convenience of the staff more than the sometimes elderly visitors. Car parks with no bus transfer miles away from the only main entrance. Bus stops the same, this for the very infrequent and none existent direct service from the main bus station in Newcastle. It makes one wonder if the governors have interests in the taxi companies that are thriving at the expense of the elderly and infirm. Wasteful, ill planned and managed by the faceless ones, who, as long as they have a "good" car and designated parking space are satisfied.
As for the food, visitors take food into patients. The food served is at best appalling. No hot food convenient for the visitors. The idea is good, a pre-ordered selection which, on speaking to fellow patients, no one got the food ordered, "I'll see what's left on the trolley" was foremost. The blob of cold, congealed food was served and collect at pace with no cold comforts available after the last meal at 5 o'clock save for a piece of fruit to sustain a recovering patient. I asked for the ethic menu but this was available tp me. Why?

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 23 March 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire replied on 26 March 2014

Dear NHS_user

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experience at University Hospital.
If you feel you would like to discuss the issues you have raised with someone, please contact our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455. Our team will be happy to help you.

Communications
University Hospital of North Staffordshire

Anonymous gave University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 4 stars

EPAU

Admitted to EPAU where it was discovered I had an ectopic pregnancy. Staff were fantastic on the unit. Kind, caring and supportive. I ended up in surgery and had to stay one night. All staff I came into contact with we're brilliant. From the surgeon to anaesthetist to the man who came round with cups of tea in the morning.
The care of the staff made, what was, a terrible and traumatic experience, much easier to bear.
Thank you.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 16 March 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire replied on 02 April 2014

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for your kind feedback. It is very helpful for the service and staff involved with your care to receive this as reassurance that the service we deliver caters for what our patients need. Thank you for taking the time to complete this at what must be a very difficult time for you. I will ensure this is fed back to the staff involved.

Janet Fieldhouse

EPAU Manager
University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 3 stars

A&E is for treatment, Not loud mouth,swearing idiots.

Having woke at 2 a.m. with considerable right side pain, this following surgery a few weeks ago to remove/repair surgical adhesions, i wasnt sure if to hang on until my g.p opened at 8.30a.m. or take myself to A&E i choose the latter, on arrival to the department at about 2.30a.m. a nice lady at the reception took my details and told me to take a seat, five minutes later i was called in by the triage nurse, i explained that i was in considerable pain in my abdomen and ,felt swollen and my stitches were very sore, i was therefore told to take a seat and the wait was approx 4-5 hours, over the next few hours all that happened was that a group of loud mouth/swearing/blood stained people"who were also waiting"did nothing but shout and scream and brag about there punch up in town ! having a go at the receptionist turning her to tears, resulting in security arriving to calm the situation, i by 4a.m. had heard and seen enough i therefore told the triage nurse that i was going to my g.p. as an emergency appointment as sitting waiting at the A&E was making me feel worse than when i arrived.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 06 March 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 1 stars

not happy

I taken my daughter to the hospital because the doctor asked me to take her and we went in a ambulance and the waiting time was 3 hour's to see a doctor and then the doctor told me that I can take my daughter home and they never asked me how I am getting home with my 2 year old daughter so in the end I walked from Newcastle hospital to tunstall with a 2 year old

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 05 March 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 4 stars

A&e thank you

My Husband was taking here after a serious car crash. While it took a little time
To get through to him, from the receptionist to the doctors,
Nurses and consultants. My husband and I could
Not fault them. Was very well looked after. Thank you

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 27 February 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

Billi gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 4 stars

Gastro ward 230

The cleanliness and modernisation of this ward was lovely to begin with, the staff were very chatty , polite, considerate , happy, cannot fault this ward one bit! I was on here for 2 nights and it was by far the best ward I'd stayed on in the week I was unwell, I'd previously stayed on Amu and short stay . Thank you to all the staff on ward 230!

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 18 February 2014

University Hospital Of North Staffordshire has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Staffordshire a rating of 2 stars

Very unsatisfactory

My husband was taken into A & E at University Hospital. He managed to send a text to me to advise that he was there. When I received the text I duly rang A & E and only on the fourth occasion managed to get through to somebody to take my call. On every other occasion the phone just rang and rang and then cut off dead. When I did speak to them the persons English was not the best. I explained that I needed to come and asked what the position was. He asked who I was and who I was calling about and then came back to me to advise that my husband had been discharged and should be at home. This was not the case as my husband was still there. I do not appreciate being given false information and unduly lied to. I am not happy with the service as my husband was apparently worried and waiting for me to turn up to be with him. Obviously an unpleasant experience and a complete mix up.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 13 February 2014