Check here for alerts

Royal Stoke University Hospital

01782 715444 Newcastle Road , Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave Neurology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 231

A relative of mine has recently been in Ward 231, all of the staff were excellent, caring and very hard working, the ward was spotlessly clean, the food was brilliant with a varied choice and the quality of care was 10/10 you could not of asked for better treatment! Thank you so much to everyone for all your help.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 18 November 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 21 November 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback regarding your relatives time on Ward 231. I have shared your comment with the Ward Manager and Team on Ward 231 who I know will very much appreciate your kind words.

Shellby13 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

I went with my daughter and her fiancé. My daughter has autism, a learning...

I went with my daughter and her fiancé. My daughter has autism, a learning difficulty and hearing loss. Her notes were missing, but the staff could not have been more apologetic and worked hard to find them. One member of staff had even remembered my daughter from May this year at a previous appointment, I can't stress enough how important continuity is with autism. My daughter was assessed for her operation and I am sorry I can't remember names, but in 39 years of taking my daughter to hundreds of clinic appointments, we have never experienced such thought and compassion for my daughter's problems. I can't thank you enough, she left hospital happy and looking forward to her Op! I hope this finds you, cause you should know who you are and receive the praise you deserve.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 19 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

I will share your lovely words with the teams in the Outpatients and Pre-assessment clinics- I know they will appreciate your comments. Feedback such as yours really does make a difference to staff morale and I am very grateful to you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital.
I would also like to wish your daughter all the best for her up-coming surgery. I hope she makes a swift recovery.

With best wishes
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patients Experience.

harriett gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A&E attendance on 20th November 2016

Where do I start? I had to attend paediatric A&E on Sunday evening around 5pm. The waiting room was full (as expected) there was a secretary flitting between adult A&E and childrens A&E, so when it came to answering the door buzzer, a patient or concerned parent could be waiting for 10-20 mins! I did not dare leave the reception area to call my mum and let her know what was going on with her poorly 2 year old granddaughter in case I was unable to re-enter the A&E department. I saw a total of 2 nursing staff and 2 student nurses, who frankly were running around the place trying to see as many people as possible. They looked completely worn out and frustrated. We waited for half an hour to see a triage nurse then nearly 3.5 hours to be seen by a doctor. This doctor (not their fault ) was a junior doctor who was not even paediatric trained! They openly admitted that they had been bought down from adult A&E because there were no childrens doctors available. I asked numerous questions about the care and health of my daughter, to which they answered 'I will have to check with my senior, as I am not a childrens doctor'. This is terrible, not only for the patients but for the poor doctors who are facing sick children and having little or no expertise with their care or treatment needed. What is going on? I saw a total of 2 junior doctors and 1 consultant/reg. The staffing levels are a joke. Luckily my daughter only had a URTI, but I saw other children entering the unit on oxygen and others which needing emergency treatment that were unable to be seen in an emergency capacity. As a professional in the health service I am saddened and confused, what is happening to the NHS? The doctors/nurses have little time for their patients and the patients are not even getting seen by appropriately trained professionals. We finally left the A&E department feeling disheartened and overall sad by the experience we had had. I feel terribly sorry for the staff on the unit and I don't see an answer to the problem. I never usually write a review, but I felt so strongly about this that I just could not leave it to pass.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 22 November 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 25 November 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback around your recent visit to our hospital. I was disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise for this.
I have shared your comments with the Associate Chief Nurse for Medicine who oversees the Emergency Care Department.

If you wish to further discuss the issue you have raised I would be very grateful if you could provide some additional information about your experience by contacting our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.

Lizzy BH gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent attention and care

I attended for an mri scan but ended up having a panic attack and declined to continue. I felt guilty and silly but the radiology staff were very reassuring and didn't judge me at all. The radiographer even lay down on the scanner and had it moved in to the machine so that I could see that my feet and head would stick out. It did reassure me but just as the scan was about to begin I panicked again. I am so grateful for their patience, kindness and compassion, above all because it was sincere. I truly appreciated being spoken to and attended to in a respectful and caring manner despite my wasting their time. They certainly have great values and attitudes and I felt my experience gave me confidence back in the nhs.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 25 November 2016

It is lovely to read of your experience of our hospital- thank you so much for taking the time to feed back. I have shared your kind words with the Radiology Team who I know will appreciate them.
Comments such as yours make such a difference to our staff who really do work hard to ensure our patients receive excellent care.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Short stay ward sau 101 and ward 111

Where do I start my dad was admitted on the 17th of November the A&E staff where amazing especially the resus team they did a fantastic job 5 stars for them. But then we come to the ward staff on 101 + 111 I feel very sorry for patients with no relatives or friends as nor even care is given on the wards I fully understand that they have a lot to do but if your going to do a job at least do it properly. Asked for laxatives for my farther never got them the staff are very short when spoken to he was discharged to only go back again after less than 48 hours I new he was still to poorly to come home but they where struggling for beds! he was left on a chair for 12 hours in pain and been sick no privacy what so ever. I really hope I never have to use the royal stoke for myself I was so appalled as to how they care for patients

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 27 November 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 28 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at our hospital. I have shared your feedback with the Teams in A&E, and also with the Ward Managers and Matrons for SAU and for Ward 111.
The care that the majority of patients receive in these areas is of high quality and we receive a lot of compliments about the compassion and care shown by our staff.
I am sorry that this was not your father’s experience on this occasion and would like to further investigate the issues you have raised. I would be grateful if you could contact our PALS Department on 01782 676450 or at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net to provide further details.
With kind regards
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

DavidFinney gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

RE- Problem with aquiring me a bed

I have just been on ward 112 for a shoulder operation on wednesday 2 november i arrived in the morning staff on the ward were all attentive and kind . When i arrived back on the ward i was told a bed was being located but i was still on my hospital troley 3 hours later, time went on . So eventually a nurse spotted a parker knoll chair on the ward and i was offered that, so i was made comfortable on it. Hoping of course a bed would come but one did not arrive, i was told about 12 midnight there was not a bed within the trust that night. i did eventually get some sleep. Although i was a day case i did request to the staff that i would like to stay in over night as i new my reaction to a general anaesthetic . S o they had been forwarned . I have no other complainents over any of the staff on ward 112 all were fantastic and very hard working.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 05 November 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 09 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hospital. I have shared your feedback with the Ward Manager for Ward 112. She has asked me to convey her personal apologies to you, and has explained that a full investigation into the incident regarding the lack of bed has been commenced.
She has also asked me to thank you for the kind words about the staff members on Ward 112 and has promised to share your comments with the team.
If you would like any further information, or you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me through the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01782 676450 or via email at patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Jon Taylor gave Sleep Medicine at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Review of Sleep and Ventilation Unit Process

Having been referred by my doctor back on the 1st June '16 I did not receive my appointment letter until the 28th September (for an appt on the 21st October - 5 months later) after numerous follow up calls and requests to my surgery. Having attended I was given a machine I had to wear for a couple of nights (presume to record my sleeping pattern). Having took the machine back in on the 24th October....I am still awaiting the outcome. No phone call, no outcome letter, nothing. Feel like i'll be fast asleep by the time I receive anything. Not a good experience.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 November 2016

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 18 November 2016

Dear Mr Taylor
I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced these delays. I would be very grateful if you could contact our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) to provide further information so that they can support you with the issue you have raised.
01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing mailto:patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.
Angela Grocott
Head of Patient Experience

dave41 reviewed Royal Stoke University Hospital

To the Staff of A&E my heartfelt thanks!

Please excuse me I don't believe in reviews but in this case I feel it required. After falling down the stairs and being unconscious arrived at Stoke A&E, realising where I was thought, Oh No Not A&E. Well I was wrong the care I received was amazing, exceptional, if it were up to me all the staff would receive Honours and Sainthoods and the same for the Ambulance Crew. I am a full-time Carer and they also looked after my elderly Charge while I was treated and investigations were made the Nurses really did spoil him. To the Staff of A&E my heartfelt thanks!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 25 October 2016 using Patient Opinion

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 27 October 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely comment- I do hope you are continuing to recover well after your accident.
I have sent your feedback to the Matron for A&E for her to share with her team. It makes such a difference to our staff when they read comments like yours and I know your kind words will be very much appreciated by the staff in our A&E Department.

Poppy gave Cardiology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology day surgery

I was admitted on sat 22nd October for a procedure PFO closure ,on arriving I was very scared and upset ,as big an old as I am my knees were a knocking ,the staff on the heart an lung cath department were very understanding and supportive kind and caring an put my mind at ease a big thank you this is not our first dealing with this hospital ,husband had one few years ago and pm brilliant support and kindness shown

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 26 October 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 27 October 2016

I am grateful to you for taking the time to share your positive experience of our hospital and I do hope you are recovering well after your procedure. I have forwarded your kind words to the Cardiac Team who I know will very much appreciate your feedback.

Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

appalling treatment

I took my father to be admitted to ward 112 yesterday for knee surgery he is in his seventys and a diabetic with high blood pressure which is being controlled with medication .he was told pre admission not to take any medication or food prior to his operation .upon booking in he was ushered to a waiting room and told relatives were to go home I ignored the request for me to go home and waited with him . After three hours of him sitting in a chair I noticed him becoming unwell I went to the reception desk to inform them he was diabetic they said oh is he after forty five minutes someone eventually came to him .after another hour they took him to the ward this is now four hours since admission. On arrival on the ward they prepared him for surgery it was at this point five hours after admission they informed him his blood pressure was high and gave him his blood pressure medication and told us he would have to wait another hour for his pressure to come down .they then retested his blood pressure and it had significantly improved after another half hour a sister came in to inform him his surgery had been cancelled due to the fact theatre didn't want to take the risk of giving him epidural with high blood pressure and they had already changed there list and couldn't wait around forever for it to comedown .this is disgraceful and I wonder what would have happened if I had gone home .my dad was extremely upset and will refuse to have the surgery he so desperately needs to keep patients especially orthopaedic patients sitting in chairs five six hours is disgraceful.I myself had taken four days off work to be there for him he had gone twenty hours without food or medication had gone through extreme anxiety and was told upon leaving to take his tablets next time if I had not been there he would have been stuck at the hospital feeling unwell with no way of getting home

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 October 2016

Royal Stoke University Hospital replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback around your recent visit to our hospital. I was disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise for this.

I forwarded your comments to the Matron for Ward 112 who has apologised for the inconvenience caused to your father and to yourself. She explained that there was a delay in accessing a bed for your father due to discharges not yet having taken place. She has asked me to share with you that they have now gained access to a second waiting area that will allow a greater capacity for family to be able to stay with their relative before surgery.

Unfortunately, despite taking his blood pressure medication, it was still deemed unsafe for your father to have his surgery due to his high blood pressure. I would like to be able to further investigate the issue you have raised and would be very grateful if you could provide some additional information about your experience by contacting our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on
01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net.