Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Royal Stoke University Hospital

Telephone: 01782 715444
Address: Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG
Website: http://www.uhnm.nhs.uk

Concerned father gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Possible blood clot

After going in to the hospital at 4pm on Monday afternoon with pain in her leg suspecting a blood clot and after giving birth just a week earlier, my daughter (25) was admitted to a ward to await a scan. It is now 8.27pm on the Tuesday evening and still no scan! Even though I rang three times and was promised twice she would have it within the next hour. Now told to wait until tomorrow morning but still no guarantees. Yes, provided blood thinners just in case, but my daughter wanted to walk out and administer herself. Having lost a close friend to a blood clot some 6 years ago, I am to say the least very annoyed and no one will give me any answers as to why taking so long and to why promised me twice. They wont even talk to me now as say its patient confidentiality? I am not asking about my daughter, I am trying to ask why they are so incompetent!
I await another 12 hours as does my daughter! and complaints will follow
Concerned Father

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 04 August 2015

Dear "Concerned father"
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands.
If you would like to contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing mailto:patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Patient Opinion Logo

Amanda Nutt gave General Surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 105

My son visited ward 105 today in the Lyme Building Newcastle under Lyme for dental surgery. The staff were absolutely brilliant & deserve to be recognised. Yes it's their job being in the caring profession and all, however, we have probably all had a bad experience with some medical 'professional' & don't have high expectations. The staff make all the difference to what can be a daunting experience. The staff on Ward 105 were friendly, caring, professional & welcoming. My 16 year old was given his room which I thought was well planned for a youngster's privacy, may have been a coincidence but nevertheless a pleasant experience. Even the surgeon was upbeat & caring. Thanks to all the staff on duty this morning :) xx

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 05 August 2015

Dear 'Amanda Nutt'
Thank you for leaving feedback on your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands.
I will pass your comments on to Ward 105, the staff will be delighted to read what you have said.

Patient Opinion Logo

patricia salt gave Orthopaedics at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care and support

I would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff on ward 227 ,during my stay there,I caanot fault there care and understanding ,they work so hard to make sure you are comfortable and not in pain ,well done to you all and a very big thank you

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

Dear 'Patricia Salt'
Thank you for leaving feedback on your experience at University Hospitals of North Midlands.
I will pass your feedback on to the staff on Ward 227 who will be pleased to hear what you have said.

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

A and E,

Went to A and E, recently. The wait was short and i was triaged and seen within 2.5 hours, which i thought was very good.
The problem i had was that the doctor who came to see me had an accent which i found hard to understand.
The hospital notes which related to myself were out of date and did not include the procedures that i have had over the last 4 years.
Whilst the doctor was very pleasant, i felt that they did not fully understand my problem and just carried out an examination as per routine.
The doctor then said i was to be passed onto another department who would carry out the scans that i required, and should wait to hear about further appointments.
I was sent home knowing no more than i did before my visit, told to keep on my current medication and visit my GP ever 10 days to check my medication was at the correct dose. (Has anybody ever tried visiting their GP every ten days )
I was reluctant to go down to the A and E department, but i was in such severe pain that i feared that i had a serious problem which may need attention. I have not visited this department for over 25 years, so i cannot be seen as a time waster. My thoughts at this moment in time is that i shall not be rushing back down there any time soon. It was a total waste of my time.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 13 August 2015

University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 24 August 2015

Dear "Anonymous"
If you would like to contact our PALS Team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can investigate the issues that you have raised further. The PALS Team can be contacted on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patient.advice@uhns.nhs.uk.

Patient Opinion Logo

john wild gave Sleep Medicine at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional Treatment

I have been treated at the Sleep and Ventilation Unit. All encounters with staff has been magnificent and I have been looked after very professionally. I have received great equipment to assist with coping with my problem, together with the necessary guidance on how to use it. I am profoundly grateful to the Unit for diagnosing and treating my problem.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 16 August 2015

Anonymous gave Urology at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 101 & critical care

I first went into ward 101 with a kidney stone and then developed sepsis. The staff were very quick to get me into the critical care unit where the care was exceptional. Without these nurses my condition could of been potentially life threatening. Even when I moved back to ward 101 the care was amazing and I can not thank the staff enough. It was the hardest two weeks of my life and I wouldn't of got through it all without the help of the nurses and doctors on the wards.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 20 August 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiothoracic Ward

I had a tripple bypass during my stay at the hospital and found that there was little to complain about.
Technically they dealt with my medical needs in a most re-assuring fashion. The other aspects to my stay such as time, care and general nursing was first rate. The auxillary and support staff were also excellent.

I would highly recommend the unit and all the team members for providing an excellent service, which has been reflected in the speed of my recovery.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 22 August 2015

Royal Stoke University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Maternity Unit

I am due to give birth at this hospital next week and I cannot tell you how scared they've made me feel.

My "elective" c section (bullied into it would perhaps be a more fitting phrase) has been rearranged twice due to disorganisation at the hospital, and now to make things slightly more stressful, I've discovered that my pre-op paperwork is all filled in for the wrong date. This is probably due to the 90 minute delay in the ANC on the day I had the paperwork filled out so they were just rushing me along, making mistakes as they went.

I called the hospital this evening to check when it is I actually should be having my baby (I'm sure you'll agree, this isn't a ridiculous question...), only to be spoken to like a huge inconvenience - I was actually told the date I'm delivering, but that I would need to follow up all paperwork etc. myself with the relevant departments. Exactly how am I supposed to know who to turn to if the midwife I spoke to didn't know or care?

So worried now about next week, I really wish there was more time so that I could rearrange birth at Leighton Hospital.

Please don't bother putting your PALS template down as a response either - I will be following this up in the morning with a formal complaint.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 01 August 2015

Patient Opinion Logo

Diane probyn gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

On the 23/7/15 I was admitted for heart surgery. I cannot thank the surgeon, nursing team and all staff on critical care ward enough for the high standard of care I have received. The staff could not do enough for me and even my family were involved in every aspect of my care. I am now home and making good progress. My follow up care has been of the highest standard as well. Thank you all so very much.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 August 2015

Anonymous gave Royal Stoke University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Not bad. Could do better.

My Grandmother was recently in Ward 78 of the "Royal Stoke University Hospital". It wasn't terrible but may I please suggest a few routes towards improvement?

1. Keep "hot meals" hot. The clue is in the name.

2. Listen to the patient when serving meals. Each has their own peculiar needs and habits. For example, my Grandmother - due to being "blind" (written behind her on the wall) - prefers food and utensils to be in a certain place before her. Its not rocket science, after all.

3. Speak up! For example, my Grandmother is "hard of hearing". Announcing your intentions at high volume when entering the room leaves little room for ambiguity as to intentions!

Overall, it wasn't a totally bad experience yet a little attention to detail could reach perfection! :)

P.S. Plenty of folk do not have access to these kinds of online feedback portals, for example my Grandmother. Provision of hard copies would better facilitate contact. I asked everywhere in the hospital for 'friends and family' feedback forms yet they seem as rare as rocking horse doo-dah.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 22 July 2015