University Hospital Lewisham

Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Hospital Visit 3rd Jan 2015

I went to a & e department as I felt like my heart beat was not normal since starting treatment for an under active thyroid and after waiting around 3 hours to see a doctor, I was eventually seen by a lady doctor who I tried to explain how I am feeling to and she kept talking over me and gave me some very incorrect information. She tried telling me that an under active thyroid would not cause depression or anxiety or even depersonalization which is why I went there in the first place because the depersonalization feels like it is getting worse and I am getting desperate. It is a known fact that thyroid issues can cause all of the above symptoms but she told me they are not???? What kind of doctor is she????

I also printed out a copy of one my blood tests to show her that although the thyroid stimulating level is returning back to normal, the antibodies are very high and she told me not to worry about that when I have already been told that I have to have a scan to see why it is so high???? She was rude and arrogant from the start.

Another complaint is about the home treatment team of which I am an out patient of, my Doctor is a great doctor who I am due to see again on the 7th Jan but I was running out of some medications so I called and spoke to a member of staff on Friday 2nd Jan and she said a Doctor would call me back and do you know how many times that has happened to me??? The doctor I saw today would not give me any tablets and said I had to see the original doctor or my GP??? Okay so lets try that shall we, the original doctor is on holiday and GP is not open on a weekend???? Great advice from a completely useless nurse.

I actually saw people walking out of this hospital because of the wait times and because they was not satisfied with the treatment they was getting!!!! Lewisham hospital is a terrible hospital who fabricate their figures to make it look like people actually enjoy their service.

I will never go back there unless I have to have the scan on my thyroid there but other than that, I would recommend this hospital to anyone and believe me I am not basing this review on just one visit.

I have been told that I have to have an urgent scan on my thyroid as it is causing me to not want to be here any more although I will most likely have to wait months just for that as the NHS is so useless.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 03 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 12 January 2015

I am extremely sorry that you found the service you received, when you attended the Emergency Department of University Hospital Lewisham, not of the standard you expected. I am sorry that you felt the doctor talked over you and did not listen properly to your concerns. It is unacceptable that you found her rude and arrogant, this is certainly not what I would expect within my department.

If you would like to discuss concerns pertaining to your Emergency Department visit in more detail please contact me direct at annmarie.coiley@nhs.net.

If you would like the concerns you raised regarding the home treatment team to be looked into please contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) team, who will be able to talk to you about the issues you have raised and advise how this can be taken forward. The PALS team can be contacted on 0208 337 3355.

Thank you for feeding back your experiences.
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Emmanuelle gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Very poor assistance

I have been to the A&E this week end because my baby has been trouble feeding for the last 4 weeks crying and refusing to feed when I was offering the bottle. She is 4 months and 2 weeks. Last week things got worse when she refused almost every bottle. This week end she hardly drunk 300ml on Saturday and 100ml on Sunday. That's when we got very worried and went to the A&E. First I have to say I have seen GPs and health visitors none of them taking the problem seriously.
When we arrived to the A&E they took her weight - she has lost a bit this week, temperature and several urine samples. We were told temperature was fine and that she had no infections. However because she had been on poor feeding they decided to keep her overnight and put her on tube feeding to see how she goes.
We have been sent to the Paediatrics department. After a night tube feeding (she refused to take any bottle that night), the doctors decided to take the tube out and see how she goes with the bottle only. She hardly took 370ml in 24 hours whereas a baby of 4 months old should be taken between 600 and 800ml depending on her weight. I don't invent anything it is from the NHS guidelines. Anyway in the meantime no further investigation was done, no blood tests, no Ph gastric acidity was done (in case the cause would be severe reflux, no scan (in case she might have a malformation somewhere), no further urine samples and they did not weight her two days later when we went back home.
She was still crying when feeding and doctors told us she has reflux although she is not vomiting. She has been indeed diagnosed with reflux over two months ago and treated for that with medication during a month. Things got a bit better but went back to the same situation a couple of weeks ago.
The following morning she took three bottles in an okay way. still crying but she took it. Based on these three bottles, doctors decided then to discharge us! We shouted saying she was still struggling to feed, crying ect but none of them would listen to us. Each time I was speaking with a doctor he would send then another one to avoid talking to me. They claimed they helped because they gave medication for reflux. I am convinced she has something else but no one would listen to what I had to say. One of them even stopped me while I was speaking taking no care of me.
Best part is while we were leaving we received a call from our GP saying the urine sample shows signs of infection!!
I am extremely angry. Several points I have to make about this experience:
- No follow up. We saw 5 doctors in one day... not really helpful to have a clear view on what's going on
- No willingness to investigate further with no tests made that we are aware of.
- No professional assistance: no willingness to listen to the parents
- Constant change of decision: put the feeding tube then take it out... reflux/no reflux

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent care visit Jan 2015

After feeling unwell late in the evening I was told by SELDOC to visit A&E to have a few tests. I went to Lewisham Hospital's urgent care department. After being seen quickly by the Triage nurse I had to wait some time to see a doctor, but I was very impressed by the care I received. Once the test results came back the doctor spent a lot of time talking to me and helping me understand what the problem was. I think we are incredibly lucky to have this NHS service and such caring and dedicated staff. Thanks!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 30 January 2015

Horrible experience

I was the patient at that night,as my cousin said we went to A&E around 6am,as soon as we checked in I was waiting for someone to see me,eventually around 20 mins later I was seen by a nurse which gave me some painkillers,however this did not help at all.After another 2 hours I was seen by doctor (by that time I had vomited twice and had blood in my urine already) who gave me paracetamol and eventually I was sent to xray scan.The first scan could not identify my problem,then I was injected with contrast and had another xray scan. As soon as this was done my pain has disappeared and an hour later the doctor sent me home.
He did not give me much explanation of what's going on and I had to chase him to see what the results are. Not to mention that after injecting contrast I was supposed to be scanned few more times to see exactly what's going on, but the doctor decided that I had a small stone which I had passed in the meantime (basically they got rid of me as soon as they could without any further examination).
And as I thought, next day I had again pain and this time decided to go to Kings College Hospital at Denmark Hill.
The service there was incredible, I was seen almost immediately by a nurse who took over my case, checked my blood pressure, sugar level and temperature three times during my visit!
I was given painkillers and paracetamol straight away and my pain has started to disappear. I had CT scan and I was arranged with ultrasound scan and meeting with urologist for next week. Also I was prescribed with proper medications and painkillers, something in Lewisham hospital thought its not necessary.

If I have to compare the two hospitals I would give Lewisham hospital 1 out of 10 and 9 out of 10 for King's College hospital.

I cannot believe that a person can go to hospital in 21 century in London with huge pain and waits more than 2 hours to be seen by a doctor!!!

Not to mention that while I was waiting I was the only one with excruciating pain that made me almost scream, however all nurses that were passing by ignored me without even asking or doing anything!
This is just unacceptable, I begin to wonder if that was A&E or just another queue where you wait without being prioritized no matter what your pain is.
I mean, what am I supposed to do to be seen by a doctor immediately? To get shot wound or something?

Lewisham hospital? Never again!

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 20 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 21 January 2015

We are sorry that you did not feel that the treatment you received at Lewisham A&E was of a high standard, it is difficult to comment without reviewing your case notes individually, we would be more than happy to do this. If you feel that this would be helpful please do not hesitate to contact the PALS department (pals.lewisham@nhs.net) who can arrange for the appropriate investigation.

Sarah Carver Matron
Emergency Department
University Hospital Lewisham
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Professional and friendly staff

Arrived A&E Department around 4am of Boxing Day. Everyone were very friendly, from the nurses to the gentleman in the X-Ray room and the one carried me for X-Ray. Special thanks to the sweet doctor, who greeted me with, 'Sorry to see you here on Boxing Day.' That made you feel less miserable.
People complaint about NHS but my experiences with Lewisham A&E (been there three times in the past 8 years) has been very satisfied.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 26 December 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 08 January 2015

Thank you for your positive comments following your recently attendance at the Emergency Department of Lewisham Hospital. It is always really positive for myself and my team to receive these and I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Receptionists in A&E

I came into a&e this morning for a wound in my palm. Whilst I was at reception having my details taken down a woman and her partner came into the a&e centre. The woman didn't speak any English and was in her pyjamas crying and screaming and holding her stomach and lower back, her partner was holding her up straight... She was noticeably pregnant. There was no sense of urgency throughout reception and no one seemed to see the poor woman was in undeniable pain and panick. The woman at reception spoke in an extremely monotone and unempathic voice and told the woman to sit in the waiting area.
Clearly this was an emergency, she had stated that she was 4 months pregnant so obviously wasn't in labour. I can't state how much pain she was clearly in and how terrified she looked.
A doctor did come out soon after and once again seemed to have 0 sense of urgency and didn't seem to empathise with this woman at all.
I don't know where she has been wheeled off to but I sure hope she's okay and that other parts of this hospital are much friendlier and have a way better sense of urgency. I'm really dissapointed and felt really helpless during this ordeal.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 11 December 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 21 January 2015

Thank you for feeding back your comments after your recent attendance to our Emergency Department at Lewisham Hospital. The reception team are trained to stay calm in all situations presented to them at the reception desk, which could possibly be misinterpreted as "monotone and unempathetic". Once completion of booking in has been done and if the receptionist is in any doubt they will call the Triage Nurse to assess the patient sooner. I understand on reading your comments that this was done and our doctors responded rather quickly.

The patient was told to take a seat by the receptionist, who had seen that the patient was in pain and discomfort. As the patient had someone with her, we can ask that person to book the patient in. As your comments state the patient could not speak any English. Getting this information through a second party can, sometimes, cause delays.
Helen Ramdhan, ED Reception Manager

Kieran gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic X Ray department

I was referred to the hospital for an X Ray on my shoulder by my doctor. I only had to wait two weeks for an appointment. I arrived ten minutes early for the appointment, and was welcomed by the friendly reception team who kindly pointed me in the right direction. I was impressed with the clean, modern and quiet reception area, and indeed the rest of the hospital seemed relaxed and clean.

I waited a short while to be seen by the radiographer, and was pleasantly surprised when she called me in early. She was really kind and made me feel at ease, and the X Ray was over very quickly. She was professional throughout the X Ray, and I was overall very happy with the service provided.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 13 December 2014

Anonymous gave Haematology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Waiting times horrific!!

all the staff are helpful and know wat they're doing except in one area, and that is the length of time one has to wait to see the Specialist.
It is absolutely horrendous and I have been completely by to this hospital more that three times a year for the lady 25 years due to chronic illness and nothing has changed except that it has got worse. I am sitting here now as I write at 12:00 but have been here since 9:40 when I just finished getting a blood test for this appt. My appointment was booked for 10:30!! I realise that I may have to wait a little longer because of the bloods. But this also happens when I don't have any blood tests done!!
80% of the cover stations going on around me are about how long that person has had to wait!!

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 17 December 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

NP gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Never again

I drove my cousin in to be seen by a doctor as he had been in excruciating pain for almost 3 hours. Waited 3 hours to be seen by a doctor and at the time we arrived (6am on Sunday morning, 28th December 2014) we were told that there were no doctors on duty and one was supposed to start at 8am. He was in such state that he couldn't sit nor lie and at points was shouting of pain. We were asked a number of times to wait for our time as there were 5 people in front of us. All of the waiting people around were sympathising my cousin since they could see the pain on his face. Lewisham A&E staff weren't particularly helpful but to be honest it wasn't their fault. There were not enough doctors around. We were eventually seen 2:30 hours later. Very disappointed by the level of service, next time I will travel longer to get to a better staffed A&E unit (St Thomas for example). Eventually diagnosed with kidney stones. Still in hospital while I am writing this review. Hope we will get something sorted soon.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 28 December 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 08 January 2015

Thank you for your comments about your cousin's recent emergency department attendance to Lewisham Hospital. I am sorry that, on this occasion, the care your cousin received was below the standard expected, especially around access to pain relief. I would like to reassure you that there is never a time that we have no access to a doctor within the department amd I am sorry that you were told otherwise.

If you would like to discuss your comments in more detail please contact me direct at annmarie.coiley@nhs.net
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Lewisham Birth Centre

Lewisham Birth Centre
My Grand-daughter was born on the 22nd December 2014.

The care my family received was exemplary. Each midwife who cared for my daughter was professional, caring and empathetic. We were all treated with respect and my daughter's dignity was maintained at all times. We cannot praise them enough.

We would like to single out from this dedicated team the midwife who delivered my Grand-daughter. We will never forget her, she was truly wonderful.
Visited in December 2014. Posted on 31 December 2014