University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Ambee gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

3 rude unfriendly doctors no time for questions

I have had a consistently great experience of Lewisham HospItal over the years, from A&E to Diabetic Outpatients and even Orthopaedics in respect of my partner.

However my experience in 3 recent visits to the fracture clinic (broken hand then broken foot) has been while nursing and plastering staff have been marvellous and administration staff efficient, the three separate doctors I have seen have shown a complete lack of interest and even professionalism. Their manner has been abrupt and dismissive and lacking professional care and attention.

For example on my first visit the consuktant would not answer my question about my diabetes and how it may affect healing and didn't look at me the whole time.

On the second occasion I received no x ray to check the bones in my hand were healed (only 3 weeks after the injury) . The doctor said i could go after 30 seconds of examination when type 1 diabetes slows down healing.When I asked about exercises I could do to improve my grip and mobility the doctor gave me a list of wrist exercises when my wrist was not injured.

Today I attended with a broken foot due to a fall. No x ray again, the doctor just told the nurse to take the splint off and put strapping on. The doctor tried to close down the conversation immediately and told me nothing about what to expect and how to enhance recovery.

I asked about bone density as ive had two breaks close togethee the doctor said no you are overweight sort that out first. I don't deny I carry too much weight but the doctor didn't take any time to ask or answer any questions and bustled me out of the room.

I now feel cumulatively completely disempowered and dehumanised by my treatment. I am trying to do my best for my recovery and get treated like an idiot.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 05 April 2017

The Orthopaedic service would like to apologise to you for your experiences and would very much like to learn from them. They have asked that you contact the Service Manager, William Roberts, via the PALS team on 020 8333 3355 so that you can discuss the incidents in more detail.

The Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from the children's A&E today

An excellent standard of care was given to our 3.5 yr old today. We were assessed straight away and had only a short wait. All the staff, especially the doctor were very kind and professional. A hugely stressful situation was made manageable by the very strong team they have at Lewisham children's A&E. Thankful we have this excellent service so close to Honor Oak.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you for finding the time to provide feed back, we always strive to provide high quality care in a timely fashion and I hope your child is getting better. It is much appreciated and I will ensure your positive feedback is conveyed to all the staff.

Best wishes
Matron, Children's Emergency Department

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

A&E and other services good but Orthopaedics are are joke.

Can't complain about A&E as well as physiotherapy - both were very efficient and the treatment revived was satisfactory but definitely can't say it about the Orthopaedic. First of all the doctor took their time to come although me n my bf were their first patient. There were two trainees/students which we should have been asked if they can stay or not but didn't happen.
The doctor clearly was too busy trying to impress the students rather than focusing on the problem my bf has with knee, the doctor wouldn't listen to what we were saying instead they were coming up with random reasons why my bf's knee might be hurting - prior to the injury my bf would bike 20km a day everyday for the past 1,5 year and the doc said that his knee hurts because he's been still for 4 days. . Previous three doctors/nurses said that there is some ligamental and menisci damage but the ortopaedic said that his knee is fine - there is nothing wrong - without seeing mri. The knee pain was caused by accident at work which should be marked as urgent instead we had to wait a whole month to get the mri scan ( I understand and know the NHS procedures and the scan could been arranged much faster but thanks to doctor that didn't happen). Got a follow up appointment 16 days after the mri which is ridiculously long considering that this should be marked as urgent because it's an injury which was caused by accident at work.

And this isn't the first case where myself or my friends/family have been unhappy with the orthopaedic service - my mother was supposed to have a follow up to see an orthopaedic specialist - two months later she still didn't get the letter or a call to confirm her appointment.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 April 2017

ADG reviewed University Hospital Lewisham

staff who were kind and very thorough

Emergency visit following mini stroke. Professional and caring staff who were kind and very thorough in examination and investigation despite obvious pressures. Excellent service.One thing that could be improved is the calling system which was hard to hear.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 28 April 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Vanessa gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

A&E Visit

I wanted to thank all the staff of A and E in Lewisham who were fabulous when I arrived at A and E with severe chest pains. They were kind, attentive and efficient and remained so patient despite a manically busy day. I spend the day with them and they carried out numerous tests to pinpoint the complaint.
We're so lucky to have this hospital in our vicinity with dedicated staff. In November 1999, this hospital saved my daughter's life and I will not hear a word said against them. The continue to strive for excellent performance despite over-use and having to contend with cuts to the budget.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 28 April 2017

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

they didn't take patient seriously

i had been waiting for a month for this appointment, and originally my treatment was very straight forward, which was only an injection and i can have it done on the same day. but because the hospital didn't have the medicine at the time, the doctor put me on an 8 weeks waiting list for a surgery which i have to be put to sleep. it is such a joke, and they didn't put patients' safety as priority.

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 06 April 2017

We are sorry that there has been an issue with your treatment. We do need more details to enable us to investigate the circumstances and would ask that you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 020 8333 3355 so that we can look into the matter further.

Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Not happy

I'm under ent and see my consultant who told me I have to have a ct scan that day to find the reception desk told me that will send a appointment letter through the post it's been 2 weeks and still received no appointment letter

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 April 2017

I am sorry you are not happy with the service provided but ENT reception do not book CT scans, was it Radiology reception you went to? If you could contact me on 0203 192 6967 I can take your details and look into the case.

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access

chest pain

I want to highlight the excellent treatment I received. From my first assessment by the nurse which was quick after I arrived. I arrived at midday on a Tuesday to A&E, but the waiting room seemed pretty full, so all credit to the initial assessment team. I was seen quick to take blood samples. The test was a little slow but that was because I was been seen by a paramedic which I believe was having a refresher day at the hospital, but this was an issue at all and I like that people who need my training were getting it, so this was a positive in my book. It was clearly busy but the doctor I saw was great, they were very efficient but still took the nessasary time to answer all my questions and concerns. There was a large delay in getting my blood results but this was not the staff fault and I completely understand that things may go wrong but your staff more than made up for that. I highly recommend this service.

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 29 March 2017

Thank you for your kind comments, we are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our staff. This will be shared with the Emergency Department Team and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Matron

Emergency Department

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Paulina reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham

Lack of Contact

I was referred for tonsillectomy a month ago and still haven't heard from ENT. I tried to call them several times to find out about expected waiting time but there is no one answering. Sorry to write review about it but I hope somebody will let me know how long do you usually need to wait for operation and approximately for how long do I need to wait to get a letter with appointment time? I just need to have tonsillectomy done very badly, the sooner the better.

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 29 March 2017

Dear Paulina

I am very sorry that you have been unable to get through to the Admissions team. If you contact me on 0203 192 6967 I can review your case and advise you of expected wait time.

Many thanks

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Cbr gave Podiatry at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Foot health service

As a newly diagnosed diabetic I was concerned about a wound on my foot and I very reassured and grateful to receive an appointment within a week at the Waldron clinic. I was thoroughly impressed by the service I received and felt very well informed, got excellent treatment and advice and didn't feel rushed at all despite it being the end of the day. One of the best services I have come into contact with since being diagnosed. Many thanks!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 March 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 March 2017

Thank you for the kind comments about your recent visit to the Waldron Clinic.

We are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our staff. This will be shared with everyone on the team and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Patient Experience Team