Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

P2010 gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Ultrasound of Bladder

I am a male aged 60. I attended for a bladder ultrasound on 27th February and was asked to attend with a full bladder. The procedure requires a scan to be done with the full bladder and again after emptying to check on residual urine volume. I had the scan done because of failure to fully empty, post void dribbling and occasional extreme urgency.

My care and treatment was exemplary but I have an important observation to make. To carry out the first scan I had to lay on the table and the sonographer gave me some paper towel roll to tuck around the waistband of my trousers; he then had to force the ultrasound head under the waistband putting extreme pressure on my bladder. I suggested undoing the top button on my trousers to make it easier but he said this was not necessary.

I was extremely worried that, with a full bladder, and the pressure and movement of the ultrasound head could cause either leakage or unintentional voiding. Had this occurred my clothing would have got wet and it would have been very embarrassing leaving the unit and travelling home having obviously wet myself.

I understand the ethos of patient modesty and privacy but, in my opinion, this procedure would be better carried out with the lower clothing lowered to knee level and either a pad or towelling placed so as to capture any leakage; or the wearing of a gown, again with a pad or towelling to capture leakage. This would also have the advantage of making the manipulation of the ultrasound head easier since it could be against bare skin in the right place and aid patient comfort.

The ultrasound rooms have closed doors and curtains so the modesty issue is well covered and, should sonographers or patients have any concerns of exposure the patient could be asked if they would like a sheet to cover the pad/thighs (genitals would be covered by the pad/towelling) – much like in colonoscopies and sigmoioscopies both of which I have also had at Lewisham.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

T WEST gave General Medicine at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Px Care from Emergency Dept to Ward

UHL has an excellent care system for patients attending the ED all the way through to becoming admitted. This meant quick investigative testing (e.g. bloods and X-Rays etc) and a fast response from ED doctors.

The wards at UHL (both Chestnut (MAU) and Alder) wards provided an excellent level of care, and did their hospital proud with every single patient, nurses (day and night) were really attentive and caring, quick and responsive, a true asset to the NHS

I would like for UHL to pass my comments on to the three departments, as they have excellent services, clean and tidy.

One final comment regarding sub-contracted services to Initial (housing keeping and catering) absolutely excellent – although non-clinical staff they were extremely friendly and helpful, and the team as a whole throughout the hospital clearly had one motive – to ensure patient care were excellent and patients treated with dignity and respect.

As for the NHS Friends and Family Test – I would recommend this hospital to anyone in need to medical assistance. Keep up the good work UHL.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 24 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent care dept dr amazing

The dr my wife saw is a real credit to the nhs he's dealt with my wife's pain and was so so great with her this man needs a medal

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The Urgent Care Centre always strives to provide the best possible care for our patients and I am always very pleased to hear when we have been successful. I have shared your positive comments with the team.

Ann-Marie Coiley
Senior Matron for Emergency Department
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous reviewed Maternity service at University Hospital Lewisham

very supportive staff around possible fatal anomalies

I was given a very high risk factor of Downs syndrome in my pregnancy at 15 weeks after a blood test. I was called on my mobile within three days of the test to inform me, and was able to see a very positive, open, supportive team within two days after that. Both the specialist midwife and the consultant were excellent, which, under very stressful circumstances, was great for us.

Once the final amniocentesis result was through (all clear, thankfully) the midwife phoned me the next day, relieving me of several gut-twisting days of anxiety. I believe she even called me on her own mobile phone.

I was really impressed by how they delivered difficult and complex information, laid out choices well, were sympathetic and encouraging and upbeat, and responded promptly.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased to hear that all is well with your pregnancy. As you say this is such a stressful time and having excellent timely communication is what we strive to achieve. It is our aim to provide all women with a high standard of care when choosing to birth at Lewisham and Greenwich Trust and I am so pleased that this was your experience.

Helen Knower
Head of Midwifery
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Stella gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Care provided by Womens Health

I am now 33 weeks pregnant and i am classified a high risk pregnancy for this reason i am meant to see the obstetrician on a regular basis. I last saw the obstetrician on the 12th of June and a follow-up appt booked on a the 17th of July. I got to the hospital on the 17th of July only to be told that my appointment was cancelled after that i noticed that a text was sent to me at 11.24 informing me about my cancelled appt at 11.30! obviously i was already at the hospital!

I have today got a letter from the blue saying i have an appt with the obstetrician on the 14th of Aug, which means there is a gap of 9weeks before i see the obstetrician (so much for a high risk pregnancy!) Furthermore, the appt is after the date that i should be having an operation to take out my stitch, which no body has actually talked to me about.

Its my first pregnancy and my experience with Lewisham has been terribly awful.... this hospital is a good example of a very bad NHS service! where staff don't really care about the people they are dealing with!

I still at a loss as to what to do! i will have to go down there to get someone that would actually look and care for me!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Upper Endoscopy

I was put on fast track for a gastroscopy by my GP because of a family history of stomach or oesophigal cancer. The reception was friendly, area clean, waiting time only two minutes, the doctor kind and understanding of my anxieties (my brother has just been diagnosed with advanced gastric cancer), they listened and agreed to my request for a sedative and in the recovery room afterwards I had the best rest of my last three weeks. I was helped by nurses back to my partner in the waiting room. I feel very lucky to be British, to have an NHS and to be near Lewisham hospital where the care seems to me to be swift, efficient, kindly and I don't see how it can be beaten even if I could afford private healthcare.

Jane

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 07 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

My 1 year old daughter was seen at Childrens Emergency Department. We were triaged immediately after booking in. We then had a very reasonable 1 hour wait to see a very polite and helpful doctor. The nurse in the triage/waitng room was pleasent and communicated well, kept me informed and gave verbal support. An excellent service in my opinion and I would strongly recommend Lewisham Hospital to anyone needing medical attention.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 06 July 2014

Helen gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Very happy with the way I was treated

I attended for a Gastrografin Enema on Friday 27 June. Basically in lay terms this means that internal pictures are taken by inserting something up your back passage so not something to look forward too. However the doctors and support staff were great and do their best to make you feel relaxed and preserve your dignity at all times. Friendly,knowledgeable and highly professional - I was in very good hands and was very happy with my treatment.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 28 June 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Paul gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Flexible Sigmoidoscopy

Attended for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. As I have previously had a colonoscopy without anaesthetic I was not too worried. The procedure was explained in a letter prior to attending and I was given an enema to administer to myself an hour before setting out to the hospital (easy & no problems). I was seen by a nurse and student nurse who went through all the usual checks; they were thorough, friendly and professional. A doctor then came to ensure I knew what was happening and for me to sign the consent form. Unfortunately my procedure was done two hours late but the doctor doing it and the three nurses in the suite were all helpful, informative and friendly and kept me informed of what they were doing. I was fully covered the whole time and my dignity, I felt, was preserved, even with this rather undignified procedure. It didn't hurt and was just a little uncomfortable at times, but nurses regularly asked if I was OK. Because of their professionalism I felt neither embarrassed nor concerned and my resting pulse of about 65 barely rose at any time. After the procedure the doctor explained his findings (all clear) and gave me a written copy with some interesting photos of my insides. I would certainly recommend this hospital and department and assure people there is nothing to be afraid of.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 27 June 2014

Anonymous reviewed Pain Management at University Hospital Lewisham

Unprofessional- Radiology DPT (X-ray)

I have been waiting for a pelvis scan appointment letter for one month.
I have got it eventually, with the scan booked after another 2 weeks. When the time came, i called to reconfirm the appointment but i have been told that in their system i am not booked for the next day and that i have to wait for another 3 weeks.
I am really annoyed and disappointed with the NHS system. It is not the first time that i am in pain and no one really cares that i can't go to work because "we must follow the lists", even though i am paying for this service every month.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 27 June 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 30 June 2014

Thank you for raising the issues you have been experiencing with your appointments for your scans. Please would you contact Malcolm McNinch, Head of Radiography- malcom.mcninch@nhs.net so he can discuss the matter with you and begin an investigation.

Glen Davidson