University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham

A&E

I was sent to Lewisham Hospital A&E by my doctor this afternoon. Although it was an extremely long wait I would just like to say thank you so much for the excellent care and support by the 3 nurses that was involved in my case. The triage, the nurse that took my blood and the doctor/nurse who explained what was wrong was absolutely wonderful. It was so busy and must be very tiring for all staff in that situation but I never once felt like a nuisance, I was treated so kindly, with respect and the final Dr I saw was absolutely amazing in explaining things to me fully. I have always had upmost respect for all hospital staff but my experience today has done nothing but refined my admiration of these heavily worked staff even more so. Thank you so much, you was amazing.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

AFD gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Self-referral doesn't quite seem to work as it should

My experience so far has been a little anxiety-inducing, though I should note from the outset this relates only to initial appointment bookings and the self-referral system and doesn't apply to the standard of care by the midwifery team itself. I self-referred to Lewisham maternity services as soon as I found out I was pregnant and while I eventually received an appointment notification for a 12 week scan, I received no information about a midwife appointment either being made automatically on my behalf, or guidance on how I should make one myself. My assumption was that an appointment would be arranged but it was only when I attended my GP surgery due to concern about the lack of contact from the maternity team that I realised that this wasn't the case - despite that being the clearly stated purpose of the self-referral - and I needed to book that myself separately. As a result my initial midwife appointment is a lot later than it should ideally be. I'm not sure if I missed something as part of the referral process, but I think that if it is the case that midwife appointments are the patient's responsibility to arrange, then this should be made much clearer. I tried to use the self-referral to avoid taking up my GP's time unnecessarily, it's quite frustrating that this was in vain!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 12 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Intermediate care services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great outpatient Xray dept

I couldn't keep the appointment originally given by this dept, but when I telephoned them they told me that it was a walk in service 5 days a week. I went along the following day and was in and out in less than 30 minutes. Really friendly staff, couldn't fault them Considering this was in January when so many people are ill I thought this was very fast and efficient.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Anonymous gave Cardiology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

positive experience of rapid access chest pain clinic

I just wanted to say thank you to the staff for their friendliness and professionalism - in what is never a nice experience I felt listened to and cared for. Staff were concerned to both give information and check whether I needed anything more. They were fantastic.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 December 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 December 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to give this very positive feedback. It is good to hear it and I have passed it on to all the team involved in this service. We aim to provide a high standard of care for all our patients who attend the Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic (RACPC) and I am delighted that your experience was a positive one.

Kind regards from the RACPC team.

Joan eminson gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Linden ward hip replacement wonderful friendly caring staf

Brilliant in linden ward, friendly caring wonderful staff. Food good and I loved them all.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 17 December 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 20 December 2016

Linden ward is very happy to hear that you had a positive experience during your stay and that all staff were friendly and helpful. The ward management will continue to work hard to ensure that all patients have positive experiences. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Very disapointing Maternity ward

Im half way through my pregnancy and have found the whole process with lewisham maternity ward very frustrating and upsetting. There seems to be no or lots of miss communication and we have been passed from department to department when trying to get answers. From booking midwife appointments, scans and consultant appointments we have been messed around and let down every time. The staff is fairly unhelpful through out and there have been no consultancy in what's suppose to be happening next. I have a high risk pregnancy and feel very ignored through out the process.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 29 December 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 17 January 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust take feedback very seriously and would like to help you resolve some of the concerns you have mentioned. We are very sorry that you feel let down and do not know what is supposed to be happening next.

Could we ask that you call Lynn Bayes, Midwifery Matron on 020 3192 6711 or Jackie Moulla on 020 8333 3000 ex 8713 so that these concerns can be addressed.

kind regards
Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Care of the elderly

I would like to say I have the greatest admiration for anyone working in the NHS at the present time and that I have found it very difficult to be critical of the service I have observed as a visitor. However, I feel very strongly that there has been a total lack of care in the departments of this hospital that I have encountered. I have been visiting an elderly patient in Maple Ward and then Sapphire Ward. I can only say that I have been appalled and devastated by the uncaring, unprofessional and uncommunicative standard of care. There is no communication from any of the nursing staff; if you visit their station you have to wait while they ignore you and if they finally deign to speak to you it is surly and rude. During the 3 weeks I have visited I have never heard a member of staff speak in a caring or compassionate way to the patient (mostly they do not come anywhere near them at all). The staff member dispensing hot drinks was similarly rude and uncaring towards the patients, leaving drinks in an inaccessible place and adding to the atmosphere of hopelessness. The café staff were unhelpful and rude and the floors and surfaces were filthy. Most concerning was the lack of care when I visited Sapphire Ward on Sunday 1st January 2017. The patient was extremely agitated and totally distraught because their clothing was soiled and filthy, the bedclothes were in complete disarray and the patient was squashed up against the side of the bed and clearly uncomfortable. Admittedly, when I asked a nurse if the patient could be cleaned up and made comfortable this was done efficiently and without too much delay but I have grave concerns that, without intervention from visitors, these elderly and vulnerable patients suffer through their unwillingness to make a fuss, inability to communicate their needs and their anxiety through being in an unfamiliar and unfriendly environment.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 01 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Jeff Lunt gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Standard of care

The standard of care I received at A&E and Cedar Ward was first class and exemplary. In A&E I was dealt with quickly, efficiently and effectively. On Cedar Ward I was also treated efficiently and effectively. I also observed that Cedar Ward was managed and operated in a quiet, calm and controlled manner throughout the whole week i was hospitalised. All the staff showed excellent communication skills particularly the SHO whom I saw most often. This could have been difficult to achieve because I was a medical patient on a surgical ward.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 01 December 2016

Dear Mr Lunt

Thank you for your kind comments. We are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our teams. This will be shared with the ward staff and the A&E team, and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review.

A&E Department and Cedar Ward

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Negligent and irresponsible staff

Admitted with Sepsis caused by a Kidney infection. Nurse from A&E was too busy asking their colleagues if they could go on a break. They were instructed by another nurse to push me in a chair to the ward however they tried several times to tell me that I was actually okay to walk until another member of staff intervened and got me a chair. On the ward the nurses are rude, not speaking to patients and dismissive in tone when asked simple questions. At no point was anything explained to me. I had been sick for several days and was unable to walk very far, when I fell down a nurse asked me 'what are you doing on the floor'. Three nurses stood around me and not one of them attempted to even help me up into a chair. Every couple of hours a different doctor would come in and make contradictory statements on my care. I was given no water and when moved up to chestnut ward the attitude of the nurses was negligent. No one appeared to know where I was supposed to go and nurses argued in front of patients. The level of care on this ward was disgusting. The ward was dirty, the toilet seat broken and hanging off of the toilet. I asked several times to know what my care plan was and not one of the many inarticulate nurses were able to assist. I was then moved up to Cedar ward. The care here was much better and the ward was clean. I was taken down for an ultrasound and after this was finished was left in a corridor for someone to pick me up. No one turned up to take me back to the ward and as a result I was left to find my own way. When I got back to the ward no nurse checked to even see whether I had been missing. As a result I discharged myself early.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 December 2016

We are sorry to hear your experience of A&E, Chestnut and Cedar Wards was not positive. Your comments will be shared with all staff in these areas.

Our staff are generally hard working and dedicated and it is disappointing that you did not find this to be the case in A&E. The Matron for Chestnut Ward will remind staff that it is not acceptable to argue on the ward, and certainly not in front of patients and relatives, also of the need for them to be aware of their patient’s history and care requirements. She sincerely apologises for any distress caused. Our Housekeeping Services will be conducting checks to monitor and ensure areas are kept clean and all equipment is in working order. The Cedar Ward Manager has made staff aware that he expects patients to be escorted to and from the ward, either by porters or ward staff.

Patient Experience Team

Alan gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I entered panicking and believing that I might be having a cardiac episode. Sunday at 5pm. Was out having had an ecg, bloods and and x-Ray by 8pm. Very kind and helpful staff and they dealt with my anxiety very well indeed. Could do with a water machine in the waiting area but that's it.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 27 November 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 28 November 2016

Thank you for your kind comments and praise for the staff. We endeavour to provide safe, effective and personal care to a high standard and it is always good to hear feedback from our patients. I am so glad that your hospital visit was positive and it was a pleasure to provide the care you needed. I will ensure that the teams are aware of your comments.