020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Ann Smith reviewed Haematology at University Hospital Lewisham

Care in the day chemo unit.

I have nothing but praise for everyone in the day chemo unit. On occasions you do have to wait a long time ...but despite it being a very busy department you are always given the time needed to care for you. I am under the most wonderfully knowledgable, talented and caring Doctor as are all the Doctors in this Department. I have been assigned a lovely nurse who is always able to answer my questions and makes me feel extremly cared for. All the nurses in the unit are very efficient and caring. Thank you all so much.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 04 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 08 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of care received in our Chemotherapy Day Unit. The team always strive to provide safe quality care to patients and it is nice to know that we have been able to achieve that.

Matron Cancer Services

Sandra Millican gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

visit to A and E

Had a reaction to medication. Went to Beckenham Beacon to find out whether to keep taking the medication, but they advised I needed a blood test. BB tried to refer me to the Pru, but the consultant refused to see me "We're not a blood testing service." Lewisham A and E were fabulous: efficient, helpful, and polite from the reception desk to the doctors. Could not have asked for more. Thank you very much.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic help in A&E

My daughter was extremely with a stomach complaint. We decided she could not wait for her GP, but had to go to A&E. From the moment we arrived, we were treated with courtesy and kept fully informed. The nurses and doctor were great. Very patient (although clearly very busy and all looked a bit tired by midnight) and so quick with correct diagnosis and treatment. Throughout we were able to sit comfortably when waiting, and were seen in private rooms/spaces for treatment, with great respect.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 12 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 June 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to A&E at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). These will be shared with the staff.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Anonymous reviewed Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham

Great care from Children's Outpatients

Just to say how pleased I am with the consistency in the quality of care and information received from the consultant. The Consultant always goes out of their way to explain issues and made my daughter feel very comfortable. Thanks to you all and to the reception and nursing staff. Great service overall!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 May 2016

Thank you for finding the time to provide this positive feedback. It is always valued by all the staff when they hear they have had a positive impact on the child and family. I will ensure the staff are made aware of this feedback. Thank you. Kind regards

Robert Cole
Matron
Children's Services
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Lovely staff

I went to Urgent Care with what turned out to be a fractured ankle and was really impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of everyone I encountered. The nurses took the time to explain what everything meant and the receptionist was patient even though I kept mishearing her questions. It was busy and there was a bit of a wait between the x-ray and getting the results, but none of the staff seemed stressed or distracted - just really good at their jobs. Thanks for looking after me!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 20 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 May 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre, it is much appreciated and will be shared with the staff.

Matron, Emergency Department

Anne gave Stroke services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Poor hygiene care

My dad had a stroke and was originally admitted to Farnborough. My dad was moved to lewisham and after three days I went to visit him. He needed to go to the toilet seemingly urgently more than usual. We got the nurse and on his return a clear smell of faeces could be smelled. My mum questioned this to be told, 'it's ok he had a shower this morning.' The next day I learn he has a UTI infection. No coincidence that he's being left to sit in his own excrement all day! Tried to complain the nurse told me he's confused. Yes I am aware of that. So said they are trying their best. Well your best is not good enough when you fail to provide the basics of care. Of course he's confused and he's struggling to ask someone for the toilet now not because he's confused but because he has a UTI (caused under your care I might add) and needing to go urgently and frequently and likely in pain. He looked miserable ester day and no one is taking our complaint seriously. I have contacted pals and I would like a response Asap please. I am not comfortable with him being at your hospital. Farnborough was clean and the nurses wanted to help

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 June 2016

The PALS team have been reviewing your concerns. Please can you call the Ward Manager, Therese Mackey, as soon as possible as she has been unable to make contact you.

Many thanks
Patient Experience Team
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Medication problem

Majority of nurses are not properly trained to high standards.
Two nurses didn't know what medication to give my partner and also kept my partner waiting till 2pm for him to take his bloods that they were suppose to do from 8am. It's absolutely ridiculous! Lewisham hospital is the worst hospital I've been to and I would not recommend anyone going there.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 June 2016

All qualified nursing staff have to pass a yearly medicine management assessment, without which they cannot give medication unsupervised. Occasionally new medications are prescribed but the nurses have the an index of medications which, informs practitioners of what the medication is used for and how it can be administered, to refer to. This index is called British National Formulary (BNF) ; they can also contact the ward pharmacist if in doubt. I am sorry it appears this was not the case. I am also sorry you had to wait until 2pm before bloods were taken – patients are bled based on a doctor’s request and they are bled by a team of phlebotomists who visit the ward when they receive the request. It may be that the request went in late and the blood results may have been needed to inform if discharge was safe or not. Someone could have explained this clearly to you. Please accept my apologies that this was not the case.

I hope your partner is recovering well at home.

Ugochi Agbasimelo
Matron – Acute & Emergency Medicine
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Jo gave Respiratory Medicine at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

No Dignity or respect over sensitive Matter

Whilst visiting a relative on the respiratory ward, I have to say how disgusted I was after over hearing a very sensitive conversation between another patient and her relatives. The discussion about a DNR was being taken place, the relative was adamant that she did not want to speak anymore about having a DNR in place for her mother and that she has already made her decision, however the Dr was persistent and kept talking about it. I work for another NHS Trust and cannot believe how insensitive this Dr was, Conversations regarding DNRs should not be taking place around the beside so everyone else can hear, relatives should be taken to a quiet room. There's was absolutely no dignity or respect shown at all.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 June 2016

I am sorry to learn that the privacy that a discussion around DNACPR warrants was not accorded to the patient and her family, and that others in the bay overheard this conversation.

We have passed this on to the parties involved and have informed them that a quiet room is available for such discussions. We will also make all the medical teams on the ward aware of this, to minimise recurrence.

Matron – Acute & Emergency Medicine

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery

After being admitted to the day ward for day surgery I found it to be very satisfying.
I was treated with dignity and the care by all members of staff was exceptional from the all those involved in my operation from the nurses to the consultant and their assistants, including the physiotherapist.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 May 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful comments about your experience while at Lewisham having your surgery, it is always rewarding for staff to receive such positive feedback from patients. I shall pass your comments on to all the staff who cared for you during your stay with us.

Regards

Matron
Theatres & Endoscopy

Anonymous gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

An impeccable service in A&E, paediatrics, and orthopaedics

My son was admitted via children's A&E with a broken arm that required surgery to repair. Throughout his stay, all the staff we encountered - nursing, housekeeping, medical - were kind, caring, and worked together with incredible efficiency and professionalism. The hospital itself was sparklingly clean.

All of this was especially impressive given that my son's admission took place during the junior doctors' strike.

As with every visit I make to Lewisham Hospital, I feel very lucky and reassured to have this wonderful service nearby.

Thank you so much!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for this feedback. The department has shared your positive comments with A&E and paediatric services. We hope that your son is making a speedy recovery.
Karin Hofmeijer