University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Jen gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Pretty good - thank you

Nice receptionist, compassionate nurse, thorough doctor. The waiting time wasn't bad (I was in there for about 2 hours, fifteen minutes overall and this included triage, getting blood taken, and getting results) and I felt listened to throughout. My only feedback would be that - this being winter - there were a lot of people coughing all around me...some coughing up into tissues. Having seen BBC documentaries on how microbes travel, as and there were quite a few people in a smallish space, it made me think I might catch something. Might it not be a good idea to give these people 'catch it, bin it, kill it' advice as they entered, along with a packet of those virus killing tissues and some hand sanitiser, and tell them to only cough into the virus killing tissue, then bin it and sanitse their hands? And maybe tell them not to sit so close to other people? Overall though, I'm so grateful we have this NHS system and grateful for the hard work of the people working at Lewisham hospital.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 February 2017

Thank you for your positive comments and taking the time to offer this feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the A&E team.
Also thank you for your thoughts on avoiding the spread of germs in A&E. These have been passed to our Infection Control team who will be providing some information posters and looking into what else can feasibly be done.
Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

A mixed experience

I visited for surgery at the Bell ward. The nurses who spoke to me before my surgery and the nurse who walked me to my operation were lovely and very helpful. The anesthetist and surgeon both spoke with me and were very thorough. However, there were a few things about my visit that I found very disappointing. After I changed into the gown I was shown to a waiting room with the other patients. I was reading a book (something we are advised to bring in our letter), after a while a nurse came along with a trolley and asked for our bags to take to recovery. I was left without anything to do in a room with no tv, no reading material and not even a clock. This wasn't very helpful in making me feel any less anxious. I was one of the last people to go to surgery and sat in a room with no distractions for over an hour. After the surgery I listened to the nurses complain that I couldn't be moved to second recovery area yet as there were no porters. I had to wait until some nurses were available to move me. The worst part of my experience is when I arrived at the second recovery area (Riverside). The nurses ignored me completely for about 20 mins. By this time I was desperate for a drink. Eventually they stopped talking at their desk (complaining about a nurse from the previous ward) and gave me something to eat and drink. I could see the pile of patients bags from my bed and I had to ask for my things to be brought to me. The next thing I knew I was given my clothes and told I was being discharged. I felt like more of an inconvenience than a patient. I was lucky that a relative had arrived to collect me, so they could help me get changed. It seemed to me that the nurses just sat around talking until the relatives turned up to pick up the patients. I feel that the people working at Riverside were very unprofessional.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on this forum.

I am genuinely disappointed to read of your poor experience while with us at Lewisham Hospital.

In terms of Bell admission area, I am sorry that the nurse took your book away from you, as you are more than welcome to keep your belongings up to when you are called for surgery. This has been shared and discussed with the nurse and health care assistants allocated to that area. Also the Patient experience team have visited the Bell admissions area and have recognised the issue of the bare waiting room walls and reading materials. We are ordering pictures and newspapers for these rooms. In addition we are looking to purchase additional televisions or radios.

On the 2nd stage recovery area, I have shared and discussed at length your comments with the nurses and health care assistants. All were genuinely upset and embarrassed that you feel they were unprofessional, and have taken your comments on board. I intend to use your comments as a learning tool for all the team working on the 2nd stage recovery in terms of communication, compassion and patient care.
If you would like a more personal response, please contact the Pals office on 0208 333 3355 or email pals.lewisham@nhs.net

Neil Fraser
Theatre & Recovery Coordinator

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Laila gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

I wanna say a big thank you for the fantastic nurses and doctor in the A&E they've been really nice to me.Im really greatful!thank you for everything! U guys are amazing!!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 February 2017

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to A&E at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL).

These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Kirsten gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Positive experience in children's A&E

My 11-year-old daughter broke her wrist while skiing in Poland and a week later I brought her to children's A&E to be re-x-rayed and checked over. We were seen very quickly by the triage nurse and were then put into the very capable hands of a nurse, who organised for my daughter to have her old cast removed, an x-ray and a new cast applied. Everyone we saw was friendly, efficient and reassuring, and the whole thing took under two hours. Very impressed.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Louise gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great

Been here twice now and both times the staff were great. Friendly and warm and most importantly I felt like they knew what they were doing. They worked quick to get me back on my feet in a caring way. Receptionist's are a bit off'ish but that seems to be the case at all NHS establishments nowadays!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 February 2017

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL).

These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department

AFD gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Self-referral doesn't quite seem to work as it should

My experience so far has been a little anxiety-inducing, though I should note from the outset this relates only to initial appointment bookings and the self-referral system and doesn't apply to the standard of care by the midwifery team itself. I self-referred to Lewisham maternity services as soon as I found out I was pregnant and while I eventually received an appointment notification for a 12 week scan, I received no information about a midwife appointment either being made automatically on my behalf, or guidance on how I should make one myself. My assumption was that an appointment would be arranged but it was only when I attended my GP surgery due to concern about the lack of contact from the maternity team that I realised that this wasn't the case - despite that being the clearly stated purpose of the self-referral - and I needed to book that myself separately. As a result my initial midwife appointment is a lot later than it should ideally be. I'm not sure if I missed something as part of the referral process, but I think that if it is the case that midwife appointments are the patient's responsibility to arrange, then this should be made much clearer. I tried to use the self-referral to avoid taking up my GP's time unnecessarily, it's quite frustrating that this was in vain!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 12 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 January 2017

I am genuinely disappointed to hear about your experience and I do apologise for any anxiety this has caused. The self-referral to maternity services is available so that you can contact us directly online or via phone, without seeing your GP.

I would really like to look into how this happened and would be happy to talk to you to discuss. My e-mail address is Giuseppe.labriola@nhs.net if you would like to get in touch with me.

Giuseppe Labriola
Deputy Head of Midwifery

Anonymous gave Intermediate care services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great outpatient Xray dept

I couldn't keep the appointment originally given by this dept, but when I telephoned them they told me that it was a walk in service 5 days a week. I went along the following day and was in and out in less than 30 minutes. Really friendly staff, couldn't fault them Considering this was in January when so many people are ill I thought this was very fast and efficient.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 20 January 2017

We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience within Radiology.

We endeavour to try and provide a service tailored to the specific needs of our service users and appreciate the time you have taken to comment on your recent visit.

Your comments will be passed onto the staff within Radiology who continually strive to ensure they provide high quality and patient focused care.

Kirti Patel
MRI Superintendent
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham

A&E

I was sent to Lewisham Hospital A&E by my doctor this afternoon. Although it was an extremely long wait I would just like to say thank you so much for the excellent care and support by the 3 nurses that was involved in my case. The triage, the nurse that took my blood and the doctor/nurse who explained what was wrong was absolutely wonderful. It was so busy and must be very tiring for all staff in that situation but I never once felt like a nuisance, I was treated so kindly, with respect and the final Dr I saw was absolutely amazing in explaining things to me fully. I have always had upmost respect for all hospital staff but my experience today has done nothing but refined my admiration of these heavily worked staff even more so. Thank you so much, you was amazing.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 19 January 2017

Thank you for your kind comments, we are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our team. This will be shared with the ED team and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Emergency Department

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

one thing needs sorting

I have just had an operation and recovered for a day or so in Juniper ward. I couldn't fault the attitude and care of any of the professionals I came across - doctors, anaesthetists, nurses - except for occasional inconsistency. BUT the hospital needs to sort out its policy about pills. I was asked to take in all the pills I have prescribed.I did so, and took them in the normal way I do at home. But then nurses kept appearing with mostly the same ones, occasionally one missing. Why tell me to bring my own if they were going to be provided in hospital? (Or why not tell me not to bother and then provide them!?)

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 January 2017

Ian MacLennan, the Head of Nursing for Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham, thanks you very much for taking the time to post a comment on the NHS choices website.

Your comments have come at a very useful time, as the Trust is reviewing the policy for patient’s who are able to administer their own tablets. Currently, we ask patients to bring in their own tablets so that we can check what they take, and ensure that patient’s have a continuous supply of their medications whilst they are in hospital - and sometimes we use our own stocks if a pharmacist has been unable to assess a patient’s stock prior to the nurses administering it. This is probably why different things happened to you.

It is hoped that the new ‘Patient Self-administration of medicines’ policy will resolve this issue, and support patients who can administer their own medications to do so.

Ian MacLennan,
Head of Nursing for Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant experience

I just had my son at the Lewisham Hospital birth unit and it was a great experience. The midwifes were fantastic, the room (I had a water pool room) was great. Very comfortable and everything you could need. Totally reccomend.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 January 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 January 2017

Thank you for taking your time to provide such lovely feedback. We aim to provide high quality, personalised maternity care, and I am glad that we achieved this throughout your stay with us. Your comments have been fed back to the maternity team, and they are greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby son.

Lynn Bayes