University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Paul Adams gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

A&E lack of care lack of information

I was taken to A&E by ambulance in the early hours of Thursday the 15th of June with severe abdominal pain.

The ambulance team were outstanding, however. Once in A&E I had bloods and vitals taken then was just left with no information, no one coming to check on me.

Eventually after 4 hours I discharged my self as I was told by one of the nurses that there "wasn't any doctors". My pain had thankfully subsided by this time. I discharged myself because of the lack of care and it also seemed that the staff were pandering to an abusive female patient who refereed to the A&E as her 'second home', otherwise the A&E seemed to be very very quiet and it became clear that I was going to be a very long time before a doctor was found to treat me. My condition has passed undiagnosed.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 June 2017

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to the Emergency department (ED). All of our staff in the ED are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.

If you would like your concerns investigated further and receive a formal response please contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) team at Lewisham Hospital on 020 8333 3355 or email pals.lewisham@nhs.net.

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

A&E

I visited the A&E department with my partner in the early hours of Thursday 15th June. I expected a long wait, I expected other patients to take priority. I didn't expect the extreme lack of communication, I also didn't expect my partner to be left in agony in a bay for hours. We enquired what was going on after two hours, we was told we were waiting for a doctor. Then we was told the doctor was in the department and my partner would be seen next. Then at 5am we was told there was no doctor so my partner discharged himself. I also didn't expect the nurses to pander to the needs of a disruptive patient/family member of a patient/who knows what she was. The constant use of bad language, threatening behaviour, aggressive language was intolerable. The woman followed the nurses around the department, they joked with her, engaged with her, she knew the nurses and cleaner, she referred to the department as her second home, security wasn't called. The whole thing was farce! Sort it out Lewisham!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 June 2017

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to the Emergency department (ED) with your partner. All of our staff in the ED are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

lack of communication

i entered a&e with an pains.i was seen very quickly .but found wen moved to majors i was left waiting around .i asked question but no answers.

once move to a ward 9 hrs later i was then left attached to a drip.day 3 i had no communication from doctors on what was happening just keep being given pain killers.
frustrated and irritated i jus wanted to leave.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 19 June 2017

We are sorry that there has been an issue with your treatment. We do need more details to enable us to investigate the circumstances and would ask that you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 020 8333 3355 so that we can look into the matter further.

Patient Experience Team

Dianne Holmes gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Five stars all round

I must admit that on being referred to the Lewisham Hospital earlier this year I was feeling a little apprehensive. Not too sure why.
Yes, there are waiting times but we live in a crowded country and we all have to understand that this is now part of lives. After meeting with my consultant in the ENT department, I felt reassured and knew I would be in good hands. Every step of my proceedure was explained to me in a simple, caring, personal way. I met teams of caring, smiling nurses who were all professional in their day to day work. Not easy for them, when every day is different, meeting patients with many complex needs and personalities. I take my hat off to them. The ENT surgeon and their team were first rate throughout my proceedure. From entering the hospital for my operation to waking up in recovery I could not have asked for better care and attention. After the operation, the surgeon took the time to visit me on ward to let me know that everything had gone according to plan. Thank you so much.
One thing that would help recovery, would be that visitors are aware of every patient on the ward and that rules of visiting are adhered without fuss.
Praise is very important in life. We are all too quick to complain. I give praise all round for my stay and care.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 05 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 May 2017

Many thanks for your feedback I will pass this to the ENT and Theatre team. We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience.

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access

Deborah Crouch gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

ENT ward-fantastic

This was my first visit to Lewisham Hospital and throughout my visit all members of staff were fantastic, from initial appointment on 19/04/17 to the day of surgery on 05/05/17 , I couldn't have asked for better service from any of the staff I came across from receptionists through to consultant and all involved in between, all courteous and incredibly happy. In my line of work I always treat people how I would like to be treated myself and it seems the staff at Lewisham ENT all work from that ethos ! Great service , many thanks for putting me at ease, Deborah Crouch

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 May 2017

Dear Ms Crouch

Thank you very much for your comments, I have passed them on to the team. We are always happy to hear how patients experience our service, and are very glad this has been a positive experience.

Many thanks

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

SUsan Kimmins gave Continence services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Day patient in urology dept

Amazing service, wonderful caring staff from reception to consultans. Thankyou

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 May 2017

Dear Ms Kimmins

I would like to express my thanks to you for your kind words following your recent experience here at the Riverside Treatment Centre.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff involved in your care.

Neil Fraser

Theatre & Recovery Coordinator

Jackie S gave Cardiology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology

I have just got home after being admitted to CCU with A F. This is the second time in a year Lewisham hospital has fixed me. I can't thank everyone enough,from The nurse in cardiology to the doctors and nurses in A&E. The staff in theatre who are constantly reasureing.And the absolutely wonderful caring staff in CCU. I truly can't thank you all enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 18 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 22 May 2017

Dear Jackie

Thank you for your kind comments. We are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible for all our patients and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our teams. This will be shared with all the departments involved in your care and will be greatly appreciated.

Patient Experience Team

Jenny gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Thank god for the NHS!!

My partner could not have asked for a better experience at Lewisham hospital. The staff were friendly and incredibly helpful. The junior doctor was professional and friendly; the doctor listened and explained everything clearly to us.

Keep up the good work- we really appreciate all the help from the staff.

Thank god for the NHS!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 21 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 22 May 2017

Dear Jenny

Thank you for the kind comments about your recent visit to the hospital. We are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our staff.

This will be shared with the department.

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

GTrida gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Thank you to everyone that helped fix me

I was recently admitted with acute appendicitis and spent 2 nights at the hospital. All staff was very kind and friendly, the doctors were great and I was well looked after. I am now on the mend.
Thank you to everyone involved on my case for providing such good care.
I am grateful to see so many dedicated hard working professionals, even though the government keeps cutting funds to them, making good care extremely difficult.
The NHS is precious and we must fight to keep it available for all those who need it.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 24 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 May 2017

Thank you for the kind comments about your recent visit to Lewisham Hospital.

We are working very hard to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our staff. This will be shared with everyone on the team and will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery at Riverside treatment centre

Reception staff at pre assessment appointment very good.

Then day of operation staff at the Riverside treatment centre , very good and efficient.
Only down side I was asked to come in earlier but was the last patient to go for surgery, so sat and waited for 5 hours .Anaesthetist apologised stating that as I was the fittest patient , I would go last.They did state that they wished ward staff would ask them what patient should be called in earlier.

Both the Anaesthetist and their colleague, also the person that was working with the anaesthetist in the anaesthetic room, were lovely and put me as ease.Thanks you three.
Staff on recovery unit were all very kind .

Many thanks to you all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 24 May 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 May 2017

Thank you for your kind comments and I will ensure they are communicated to all the staff involved.

The nurses would only call a patient in early on the instructions of the consultant operating surgeon, I apologise for your having to wait the 5 hours.

I hope you are now recovering well from your surgery.

Regards