University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Colette gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care

I was rushed to hospital during the night for low potassium. The staff were wonderful, caring and efficient. i don't know what would have happened if it hadn't been caught and treated so quickly.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 04 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 August 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to A&E at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Carly gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

Disappointing

I had to visit the day assessment unit of maternity due to sever pelvic girdle pain. My GP said to go to the hospital and when I rung the unit was also told I should go in. I arrived at about 1800 Friday evening and the person who booked me in was lovely. However, the midwife that saw me was rude, uncaring and unhelpful. The midwife said I should have gone to my GP. The midwife had no interest in my symptoms or helping me, despite seeing I was in pain and couldnt even lie on the bed. The midwife was chewing gum the whole time and when I questioned them on painkillers etc, they just shrugged their shoulders at me. Then I was told the doctor was on the labor ward and was too busy to see me. I accept there are emergencies but being made to feel like you are not important I do not accept. I was told I could wait on the labour ward but it would be hours before I would be seen, This was not possible as I had my 5 year old with me. I ended up calling SELDOC at home who were great and prescribed me with pain relief. They were also very caring and friendly. Unfortunately I cannot read the midwifes writing to get their name. Already nervous about having my baby at Lewisham after hearing stories this experience hasn't helped at all.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 11 August 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are very sorry that the service you received was not satisfactory. This is not what we expect from the maternity services and is not a reflection of the care we provide.

Our aim is to ensure every woman who uses our services has a positive experience. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact Helen Murphy, inpatient Midwifery Matron, at helenmurphy4@NHS.net

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Mixed reviews but with some highlights

I was admitted as an emergency in DKA with a new diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes, the A&E staff were great although a little disorganised, losing my notes several times leading to delays. I was moved to Chestnut ward and had first class care from the staff there, particularly the staff nurse and the HCA. My Team of Doctors lead by the brilliant Registrar were all great and I felt very safe and supported. I had good advice from the diabetic nurse and felt very able to cope with my diagnosis. I was moved to Alder ward on my last night which I was anxious about, despite being told it was a diabetic ward. I felt I had to fight to get my BM's and ketones tested and they forgot my insulin before breakfast. I am home now and have a follow up at the end of the week and overall I would like to say thank you to all the staff for saving my life and generally being incredibly supportive, polite and hard-working. A real credit to the NHS.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 August 2016

Thank you for all your kind comments in regard to A&E and Chestnut ward, we have fed back your comments to the staff.

Please can you contact Lydia Battle who is the Matron for Alder Ward in regard to the your issues with getting your blood glucose readings recorded on Alder ward.

Mrs Battle's details are lydia.battle@nhs.net

Patient Experience Team

Sallyanne gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Sally

My daughter gave birth to my second grandson last night 17/8/16. I only have on word for the midwife and hospital itself. Fantastic!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for writing such a positive feedback in relation to the fantastic care your daughter received on maternity 5 ward.
It is always a pleasure to have positive feedback from parents/family.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this comment.

Bola Aluko

Adebola ALUKO
Lead Midwife and Supervisor of Midwives
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Laura reviewed Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham

Lovely staff!

I had to visit A&E due to a nasty cut on my hand that needed stitches. The staff were so, so lovely. I can't praise them enough for how caring and kind they were!. I was anticipating a long wait as it was fairly busy (with a fair few individuals accompanied by police!) but I was in and out of triage, x-ray and then in to be stitched up by the nurse practitioner. All the help they gave me is really appreciated!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL).

These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Keith Moss gave Colorectal cancer services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

The Colorectal cancer department

Having just had Colorectal cancer surgery at Lewisham Hospital I have nothing but praise for the treatment I received.From the colonoscopy through to the Surgical Pre Admission Clinic I was met with caring professionalism from both the medical and nursing staff. I was fully informed of each step and encouraged to ask questions. Now at home I feel able to ring the Colorectal Nurses if I need advice. A truly excellent department.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Aphra Anderson gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

Not able to get through to speak to someone

I was extremely eager to get my first appointment with a midwife, and because it was a Saturday when I found the contact information, I thought it would be faster to submit an online self-referral form. After 10 days of waiting, I called (as specified on your website) to try to get an appointment. I called the midwife contact number on the Lewisham and Greenwich website and left a message. I received a call later that day, but was told that they were Greenwich midwives, not Lewisham, and I had been referred to University Hospital Lewisham, so they had to give me the contact details for your hospital. I called the number that I was given many many times over the last four working days. I am constantly listening to a ringing phone, pressing one and starting the procedure over and over again with absolutely no luck. I left a message on a second phone number that I got for Lewisham maternity services, which was last week, and no response. Today the menu changed when I called and no longer seemed to offer me the opportunity to enter my extension number, instead it asked what department I wanted. I got through to Maternity, and was told that they don't deal with that, and I need to try a different extension. (Not the same as the extension I have been trying for 4 days, so who knows which one is actually correct!) I attempted to explain that the phone was not allowing me to enter extension numbers, but just had the member of staff repeat the procedure to me as if I didn't understand the concept. I marched to keep this maternity ward open and am truly disappointed in this situation.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 July 2016

Sincere apologies for the confusion and delay in receiving your first midwifery appointment. This is not what we expect from our services and it is not a reflection on the care we give.
The community services have recently undergone a new way of working; based out in the community Children’s Centres and Medical Centres. The phone lines should have been redirected ensuring that a delay didn’t occur.

Apologies again for this upset, can I suggest that you contact me at lynn.bayes@nhs.net and I will arrange your first appointment and inform you of your named midwife.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Elaine Nwokolo gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Antenatal Clinic Reception

I have just come home from my 36 week antenatal scan and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I arrived 5 minutes before my appointment time and waited in the reception queue. I waited for 15 minutes in the queue with 6 other heavily pregnant women. There were a few ladies in front of me who also looked very heavy and fed up. There was only one receptionist who was seeing to a patient though others were walking around and didn't even acknowledge the long queue! It was extremely warm in the reception area and no one even addressed the fact that we were waiting until one midwife took pity on us and asked someone from the back office to come out and see to us. I was so disappointed in the service or lack there of and the fact that no one even apologised for making us wait for so long. This isn't the first time it's occurred and is a shame that the poor staff let down this section of the hospital as down the corridor in the birthing suite, the staff there were absolutely lovely!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 July 2016

Apologies for the delay in booking in at the reception desk. The administration team are trying to accommodate the large numbers of women who are attending for their appointments and are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I have discussed this with the administration team and the team leader in the Antenatal Clinic so that your concerns can be addressed.

The team leader will ask her staff to remind women and families of the water fountain and to apologise for any delay in appointments. Large fans have been ordered to help with the warmer months.

The administration manager will address your concerns with her team and ensure that they are aware of queues especially with heavily pregnant women.

Thank you for the positive feedback about the Birth Centre, this will be fed back to the Manager.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Andre gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience and great midwifes.

My son were born on the 15th of July 2016. My wife were giving birth in the birth center which were very amazing. Clean and large rooms, amazing friendly staff. Many thanks to our wonderful friendly and great midwife. They were top of the top. It was very easy with them. Hope to have them as a midwife next time my wife will give birth! Many thank to all staff!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 20 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 21 July 2016

Congratulations to both mum and dad. The Lewisham Birth Centre is delighted to hear such positive feedback; the philosophy of the unit is to create a home from home environment where women and their families feel relaxed and have a wonderfully positive birth experience. It is always a pleasure to have feedback from parents who are obviously very busy with their new baby so I thank you for taking the time to write this comment.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Elaine Nwokolo gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Poor service at Antenatal Reception Desk

Today I feel compelled to write a review for the second time. I am now in for my 38 week follow up after coming in two weeks ago and find myself in exactly the same situation as previously. I arrived on time for my 10.30am appointment and had to queue with other heavily pregnant women for 15 minutes myself before anyone even checked me in. There is nowhere to even sit whilst waiting as you lose your place in the queue and staff don't even apologise or acknowledge the wait. Something really needs to be done to address this problem as generally the service with sonographers, consultants and midwives is very good and it's a shame that front of house are letting the service down.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 26 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 28 July 2016

Apologies again for any concern that you might have and any upset caused. Unfortunately yesterday there was increased sickness absence however this has been addressed and the situation is now sorted. We are hoping for a kiosk that will enable women to admit themselves on arrival without having to queue at the desk.

Presently, when there is a long queue, a staff member from the administration team will take the books from heavily pregnant women and book them in from the back office enabling the woman to go and sit down. We are sorry if that didn’t happen for you on this occasion but we thank you for highlighting the issues so that we can address them.

Thank you for your comment around the services you have received, that will be fed back to the staff.