University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery

After being admitted to the day ward for day surgery I found it to be very satisfying.
I was treated with dignity and the care by all members of staff was exceptional from the all those involved in my operation from the nurses to the consultant and their assistants, including the physiotherapist.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 May 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful comments about your experience while at Lewisham having your surgery, it is always rewarding for staff to receive such positive feedback from patients. I shall pass your comments on to all the staff who cared for you during your stay with us.

Regards

Matron
Theatres & Endoscopy

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic help in A&E

My daughter was extremely with a stomach complaint. We decided she could not wait for her GP, but had to go to A&E. From the moment we arrived, we were treated with courtesy and kept fully informed. The nurses and doctor were great. Very patient (although clearly very busy and all looked a bit tired by midnight) and so quick with correct diagnosis and treatment. Throughout we were able to sit comfortably when waiting, and were seen in private rooms/spaces for treatment, with great respect.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 12 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham

Great care from Children's Outpatients

Just to say how pleased I am with the consistency in the quality of care and information received from the consultant. The Consultant always goes out of their way to explain issues and made my daughter feel very comfortable. Thanks to you all and to the reception and nursing staff. Great service overall!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 May 2016

Thank you for finding the time to provide this positive feedback. It is always valued by all the staff when they hear they have had a positive impact on the child and family. I will ensure the staff are made aware of this feedback. Thank you. Kind regards

Robert Cole
Matron
Children's Services
University Hospital Lewisham
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Lovely staff

I went to Urgent Care with what turned out to be a fractured ankle and was really impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of everyone I encountered. The nurses took the time to explain what everything meant and the receptionist was patient even though I kept mishearing her questions. It was busy and there was a bit of a wait between the x-ray and getting the results, but none of the staff seemed stressed or distracted - just really good at their jobs. Thanks for looking after me!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 20 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 May 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre, it is much appreciated and will be shared with the staff.

Matron, Emergency Department

Anne gave Stroke services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Poor hygiene care

My dad had a stroke and was originally admitted to Farnborough. My dad was moved to lewisham and after three days I went to visit him. He needed to go to the toilet seemingly urgently more than usual. We got the nurse and on his return a clear smell of faeces could be smelled. My mum questioned this to be told, 'it's ok he had a shower this morning.' The next day I learn he has a UTI infection. No coincidence that he's being left to sit in his own excrement all day! Tried to complain the nurse told me he's confused. Yes I am aware of that. So said they are trying their best. Well your best is not good enough when you fail to provide the basics of care. Of course he's confused and he's struggling to ask someone for the toilet now not because he's confused but because he has a UTI (caused under your care I might add) and needing to go urgently and frequently and likely in pain. He looked miserable ester day and no one is taking our complaint seriously. I have contacted pals and I would like a response Asap please. I am not comfortable with him being at your hospital. Farnborough was clean and the nurses wanted to help

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Medication problem

Majority of nurses are not properly trained to high standards.
Two nurses didn't know what medication to give my partner and also kept my partner waiting till 2pm for him to take his bloods that they were suppose to do from 8am. It's absolutely ridiculous! Lewisham hospital is the worst hospital I've been to and I would not recommend anyone going there.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

An impeccable service in A&E, paediatrics, and orthopaedics

My son was admitted via children's A&E with a broken arm that required surgery to repair. Throughout his stay, all the staff we encountered - nursing, housekeeping, medical - were kind, caring, and worked together with incredible efficiency and professionalism. The hospital itself was sparklingly clean.

All of this was especially impressive given that my son's admission took place during the junior doctors' strike.

As with every visit I make to Lewisham Hospital, I feel very lucky and reassured to have this wonderful service nearby.

Thank you so much!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for this feedback. The department has shared your positive comments with A&E and paediatric services. We hope that your son is making a speedy recovery.
Karin Hofmeijer
Interim General Manager
Orthopaedics

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Would not recommend

The service is poor! The midwifes are not too friendly at all. They are cutting down on costs so that means less people, less privacy. This hospital is just a mess. Not the same service as 8 years ago when I had my daughter.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 19 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you for your feedback on our maternity service. We aim to provide the highest level of care at all times and I am sorry that we did not achieve this. If you would like the opportunity to discuss what happened in more detail or meet in person please do contact Helen Murphy, Midwifery Inpatient Matron, on helenmurphy4@nhs.net or 02083333000 EXT 6476.

Sunny gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Rude staff night maternity ward

Awful place... rude and ignorant nurses, only a handful of caring ones. Food staff are ignorant and barely acknowledge the patients. The nurses I saw left food for elderly people on the table even though they could not reach the food themselves. My mother has been in tears every morning since she has been in there. A few nurses are very kind but they are few and far between. There should be undercover patients sent in to see what goes on!! A lady was calling to go to the toilet for an hour and was told to 'stop shouting'. A nurse was overheard saying 'these patients get on my nerves'. Nobody wants to be in hospital, the least they deserve is some respect and compassion. Awful place. I complained to PALS about several issues and I have to say that they did respond and dealt with them promptly but overall this hospital needs a complete review of how the staff treat vulnerable patients.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 19 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for your comments, we are very sad to hear that your mother’s experience was so negative. As your posting is anonymous I cannot respond directly however, I believe that your comment is regarding an adult ward rather than maternity and concerns a patient that the Matron visited as well as PALS following a complaint. We felt we had apologised and resolved some issues, if you do not feel that this is the case I am very happy for you to contact me via PALS.
Kind regards.
Sarah Carver, Matron for ED and RATU ward

stewartdm gave Dermatology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Praise for the dermatology department

I'm just writing to praise the dermatology Department.I went in on Monday to have a mole checked out.
The receptionists were good and knew their job.
The Doctor was good and managed to get me in the next day to have the mole removed.
This was also done efficiently.
All in all a very good and impressive service.
Thanks to the whole department.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feed-back about the service you received from the Dermatology department at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). Your comments will be shared with the staff.

Kind regards.