University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Day surgery and endoscopy unit

I had a ganglion cyst removed from my ankle earlier this week. The care I received from the staff was excellent, in particular from the nurse I saw during my pre-admission appointment. This member of staff showed dedication beyond the call of duty and put my anxieties to rest. They are an asset to the NHS. A truly compassionate individual. I was kept informed and well looked after during the day of my surgery. I was seen punctually. The staff in the anaesthetic area were friendly and my nerves were put at ease. My experience of being a day care patient at Lewisham Hospital was overwhelmingly positive.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 September 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 September 2016

Thank you so much for your positive comments of your visit to the Day Surgery Unit. Feedback like this is great for staff moral and will be shared with all the surgical team. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us, and I hope you are recovering well.

Neil Fraser

Neil Fraser
Theatre & Recovery Coordinator
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Uncaring and unhelpful

I am horrified that staff have been unable to reassure my daughter who is looking after a friend who has been admitted following an overdose. I tried to share information the patient had given to show that they were quite fixated on suicide but was discouraged from doing so. My daughter phoned me as she was so concerned about leaving her friend in this hospital and, having spoken to an individual there, I can understand why. I'm in N Ireland and only called the hospital on the advice of one of our Suicide Prevention organisations who were extremely concerned at the apparent lack of care and compassion for the patient and concerned friends. Very disappointing and cause for concern. I'm a teacher so I've advised my daughter to leave now, as the hospital are now responsible for her friend.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 22 September 2016

I am sorry that you feel that you have a negative experience of the department, it is very difficult to ascertain the exact problem from your comments but we would welcome further feedback with more detail. Whilst all patient information is confidential if you wish to contact our PALS Department at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 0208 333 3355 and we can look into the matter further.

Regards

Sarah Carver
Matron ED

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Thank you for fixing me!

I was recently treated at the A&E and in the early pregnancy ward at Lewisham Hospital, I arrived while experiencing heavy bleeding from a miscarriage, in very bad pain and vomiting, scared and pretty desperate. I was really humbled by the level of care and compassion I received from everyone who helped me. It was so reassuring to be in the hands of people that know just what to do and who clearly enjoy working together, Everyone gave me a little bit of extra time , a smile or entertaining chat. I found despite being at my lowest and needing to wear Hospital netty knicker, the biggest sanity pad/nappy ever in a hospital gown you all helped me find the humour in the situation especially when being wheeled around in a chair and trolley and I found your kindness instantly reassuring and I'm sure it aided my recovery. When I had to have the operation i was given the options and all the pros and cons where explain empowering me to feel It was the right decision and waking up after the general anaesthetic to music was surreal and euphoric. I haven't needed hospital care in years and I don't think I have ever truly understood what an amazing system the nhs is. Thank you so much guys I'm in awe of you all!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 24 September 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Let a 5 days old boy waited for 7 and half hours. Shameful!

I really hope someone can see what i write down and take it seriously. My son who is 5 days old arrived at the hospital at around 5:30. The total waiting time for him to get antibiotics was 7 and half hours. This includes 1 hour for triage nurse, 3 and half hours for doctors then 3 hours for nurse to get the antibiotics injection. This was on the basis that my son apparently was put on major case and only had 1 kid in front of him at the time when we saw triage nurse.The children's A&E should be ashamed for providing such service. I went to ask the reception so many times, once a person acted like they did not care that a 5 days old boy has only waited 164 minutes and ask us to continue to wait, then wouldn't talk to me anymore and left. What really frustrates me is everytime I speak to someone, its always the fault of the others. Doctor says its the nurse who are short staffed. Nurse says its doctor who is too busy. Frankly speaking , I dont care, letting a 5 days old baby waited 7 and half hours is simply not acceptable, especially after he was put on major case. The only thing seems good in this place is the staff's ability to apologise. Everyone repeats the same thing, I apologise but you have to wait. For the last two hours , we were put into an extremely cold room and were told not to leave until a friendly nurse realise the room is too cold for a 5 days old baby. Then we got moved to a warmer room however people constantly came in and use the wash and computer to interrupt my son's sleep, not even with a apology! Overall, its a shameful service paid by my hard earning tax to your fat salary.. Not impressed at all. One thing i have to say is staffs in there are all friendly, but the service is a complete failure. You should all remember, 5 days old baby, 7 and half hours waiting. Shame on you!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 24 September 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Sallyanne gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Sally

My daughter gave birth to my second grandson last night 17/8/16. I only have on word for the midwife and hospital itself. Fantastic!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for writing such a positive feedback in relation to the fantastic care your daughter received on maternity 5 ward.
It is always a pleasure to have positive feedback from parents/family.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this comment.

Bola Aluko

Adebola ALUKO
Lead Midwife and Supervisor of Midwives

Laura reviewed Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham

Lovely staff!

I had to visit A&E due to a nasty cut on my hand that needed stitches. The staff were so, so lovely. I can't praise them enough for how caring and kind they were!. I was anticipating a long wait as it was fairly busy (with a fair few individuals accompanied by police!) but I was in and out of triage, x-ray and then in to be stitched up by the nurse practitioner. All the help they gave me is really appreciated!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Urgent Care Centre at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL).

These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Keith Moss gave Colorectal cancer services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

The Colorectal cancer department

Having just had Colorectal cancer surgery at Lewisham Hospital I have nothing but praise for the treatment I received.From the colonoscopy through to the Surgical Pre Admission Clinic I was met with caring professionalism from both the medical and nursing staff. I was fully informed of each step and encouraged to ask questions. Now at home I feel able to ring the Colorectal Nurses if I need advice. A truly excellent department.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 05 September 2016

Thank you for your positive comments and taking the time to offer this feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Patient Experience Department
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Colette gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care

I was rushed to hospital during the night for low potassium. The staff were wonderful, caring and efficient. i don't know what would have happened if it hadn't been caught and treated so quickly.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 04 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 August 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to A&E at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). These will be shared with the team.

Matron, Emergency Department, UHL

Carly gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

Disappointing

I had to visit the day assessment unit of maternity due to sever pelvic girdle pain. My GP said to go to the hospital and when I rung the unit was also told I should go in. I arrived at about 1800 Friday evening and the person who booked me in was lovely. However, the midwife that saw me was rude, uncaring and unhelpful. The midwife said I should have gone to my GP. The midwife had no interest in my symptoms or helping me, despite seeing I was in pain and couldnt even lie on the bed. The midwife was chewing gum the whole time and when I questioned them on painkillers etc, they just shrugged their shoulders at me. Then I was told the doctor was on the labor ward and was too busy to see me. I accept there are emergencies but being made to feel like you are not important I do not accept. I was told I could wait on the labour ward but it would be hours before I would be seen, This was not possible as I had my 5 year old with me. I ended up calling SELDOC at home who were great and prescribed me with pain relief. They were also very caring and friendly. Unfortunately I cannot read the midwifes writing to get their name. Already nervous about having my baby at Lewisham after hearing stories this experience hasn't helped at all.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 11 August 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are very sorry that the service you received was not satisfactory. This is not what we expect from the maternity services and is not a reflection of the care we provide.

Our aim is to ensure every woman who uses our services has a positive experience. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact Helen Murphy, inpatient Midwifery Matron, at helenmurphy4@NHS.net

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Mixed reviews but with some highlights

I was admitted as an emergency in DKA with a new diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes, the A&E staff were great although a little disorganised, losing my notes several times leading to delays. I was moved to Chestnut ward and had first class care from the staff there, particularly the staff nurse and the HCA. My Team of Doctors lead by the brilliant Registrar were all great and I felt very safe and supported. I had good advice from the diabetic nurse and felt very able to cope with my diagnosis. I was moved to Alder ward on my last night which I was anxious about, despite being told it was a diabetic ward. I felt I had to fight to get my BM's and ketones tested and they forgot my insulin before breakfast. I am home now and have a follow up at the end of the week and overall I would like to say thank you to all the staff for saving my life and generally being incredibly supportive, polite and hard-working. A real credit to the NHS.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 August 2016

Thank you for all your kind comments in regard to A&E and Chestnut ward, we have fed back your comments to the staff.

Please can you contact Lydia Battle who is the Matron for Alder Ward in regard to the your issues with getting your blood glucose readings recorded on Alder ward.

Mrs Battle's details are lydia.battle@nhs.net