University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Julie gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Ent

First time here today was fantastic so helpful and the consultant was so kind and helpful thank you

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 August 2017

Thank you very much for your comments, it is always good to hear patients had a good experience. I will share your comments with the whole team.

kind regards

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great tour

I just wanted to say how lovely the staff giving us a tour were the other evening. It was really reassuring as a first time mum. My husband also thought it was really informative. Originally from Ireland where you pay for medical care, I can't quite believe the quality of the facilities that are on offer as part of a national health service.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 August 2017

I am really glad that you enjoyed the pregnancy evening, these were set up to inform women and their families the support we offer in the hospital and the borough; and offer you the opportunity to meet our staff.

We are very proud of our maternity services and we aim to provide the highest standards of care.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the evening and having a look at our facilities, thank you for letting us know.

Giuseppe Labriola
Head of Midwifery

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Rude, unfriendly, long delay

I attended an outpatient appointment at the orthopaedic clinic today. The delay was over an hour, which sadly was not a surprise. However, the doctor who (eventually) saw me was rude, dismissive and abrupt. I have had a good experience with hospital staff in the Urgent Care Centre so was disappointed to deal with such a discourteous doctor today.

I have made a complaint by email and would encourage others to do the same.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, we are sorry that your experience of the orthopaedic clinic has been so negative and will forward your comments to the department.

We would always aim to provide a high standard of care but if you feel we've failed in that you have taken the right route in contacting our PALS/Complaints team who will be able to investigate the circumstances fully.

Patient Experience Team.

Gill gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urology Team & Associated Staff

I visited University Hospital Lewisham on August 19th, 2017 (PM) for a bladder operation.
I was delighted with the way all staff treated me, ie polite/courtesy and helpful.
Prior to my above-mentioned visit, I attended the Pre-Assessment clinic at this hospital and was extremely happy with the nurse that completed the outcome of the assessment. I just wished there were more people like them not just the NHS but society on the whole. I give the nurse an A++ rating.
The day of the operation, everyone involved with my care, right from point of introducing myself at the reception desk and up to being discharged, very pleased with all staff.
A special mention to the anaesthetic team, the surgeons and the aftercare teams, 10/10. I told one of the after care nurses that were looking after me that I felt cold and they got me a third blanket and then a colleague asked me again a few minutes later if I was warmer. As I was still feeling chilly (air conditioning used in after care to help keep germs at bay) this nurse got this warm/airflow type blanket and it did the business. IMO they, like some other staff went the extra mile.
Thank you all for your help with my day stay at University Hospital Lewisham.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, it’s always much appreciated.

We aim to provide a high standard of care and it’s good to see that your experiences of our services support that. We will make sure your comments reach the relevant staff.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

chestnut ward the seventh circle of hell

I was admitted to Lewisham Hospital today.The treatmeny in the a & e was superb.
But oh how things changed on Chestnut Ward.
I am currently writing this at 4.09am as it is impossible to sleep.
The snorer from hell a platic bag rustler nurse alerts going off the sound of staff chadtting at their service point a judderibg sound when the ward basin is used.My cindition improved whikst at a&e but nowv the pains have returned.No doubt due to the streas of this exoerience.I would be willing to pay for a private roiom to get sone peace but there are no private rooms!!!This is horrific abd i believe is adversely affecting my condition.I am strongly considering sharing my experience with radio listeners.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 July 2017

We appreciate how important rest is when you are feeling ill and are sorry that you had such difficulty sleeping on Chestnut Ward. The ward sister will remind staff to be mindful of noise levels when speaking to each other at night but, if you are still an inpatient, please make yourself known to her so that she can address some of the issues you have raised. Alternatively, if you want to take the matter further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 020 8333 3355, or email the Patient Experience Team on LG.patientexperienceLGT@nhs.net

Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent and speedy care

I only waited for 5 minutes before being seen by the Nurse. Shortly after I taken through to the Doctor where all the staff were very friendly and efficient. I was pretty unwell and they made me feel very safe and assured.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 August 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about your treatment during your visit to the A&E department.

We aim to provide the highest standard of care possible and it is always appreciated when we get such positive feedback. This will be shared with all the staff.

Matron
Emergency Department
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Paul Adams gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

A&E lack of care lack of information

I was taken to A&E by ambulance in the early hours of Thursday the 15th of June with severe abdominal pain.

The ambulance team were outstanding, however. Once in A&E I had bloods and vitals taken then was just left with no information, no one coming to check on me.

Eventually after 4 hours I discharged my self as I was told by one of the nurses that there "wasn't any doctors". My pain had thankfully subsided by this time. I discharged myself because of the lack of care and it also seemed that the staff were pandering to an abusive female patient who refereed to the A&E as her 'second home', otherwise the A&E seemed to be very very quiet and it became clear that I was going to be a very long time before a doctor was found to treat me. My condition has passed undiagnosed.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 June 2017

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to the Emergency department (ED). All of our staff in the ED are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.

If you would like your concerns investigated further and receive a formal response please contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) team at Lewisham Hospital on 020 8333 3355 or email pals.lewisham@nhs.net.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

A&E

I visited the A&E department with my partner in the early hours of Thursday 15th June. I expected a long wait, I expected other patients to take priority. I didn't expect the extreme lack of communication, I also didn't expect my partner to be left in agony in a bay for hours. We enquired what was going on after two hours, we was told we were waiting for a doctor. Then we was told the doctor was in the department and my partner would be seen next. Then at 5am we was told there was no doctor so my partner discharged himself. I also didn't expect the nurses to pander to the needs of a disruptive patient/family member of a patient/who knows what she was. The constant use of bad language, threatening behaviour, aggressive language was intolerable. The woman followed the nurses around the department, they joked with her, engaged with her, she knew the nurses and cleaner, she referred to the department as her second home, security wasn't called. The whole thing was farce! Sort it out Lewisham!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 June 2017

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to the Emergency department (ED) with your partner. All of our staff in the ED are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

lack of communication

i entered a&e with an pains.i was seen very quickly .but found wen moved to majors i was left waiting around .i asked question but no answers.

once move to a ward 9 hrs later i was then left attached to a drip.day 3 i had no communication from doctors on what was happening just keep being given pain killers.
frustrated and irritated i jus wanted to leave.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 19 June 2017

We are sorry that there has been an issue with your treatment. We do need more details to enable us to investigate the circumstances and would ask that you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 020 8333 3355 so that we can look into the matter further.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

not so good treatment

The receptionist and the first nurse on the urgent care were very helpful.
The nurse who did my anti tetanus injection didnt clean up the area of my arm first or after, didn't press it at all, didn't know to answer questions about the type of the injection or what i should take care of or what to expect and just wanted me done. My arm hearts now a lot as well.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. All feedback is important to us and gives us an opportunity to improve our service. Apologies for
the apparent lack of information from the nurse who administered your injection. Staff will be reminded that they must give comprehensive information and advice. If you would like to discuss this further please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net/02083333355.

Emergency Department Matron