Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Billie gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Staff at childrens a&e

I would like to thank all the Drs and nurses at the a&e childrens ward for looking after my little girl after her road accident. Megan is ok and on her road to recovery thanks to you all and the ambulance that was there at the site too.
I'm so happy with the way she was treated and would like to thank the doctor for helping her so promptly and for reassuring her whilst Megan was in his care

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Impressed at efficiency

After telephoning 111 I was advised to visit the Urgent care unit at Lewisham hospital. Upon arrival the lady receptionist was incredibly helpful, understanding, compassionate and overall lovely. She took all of my information and advised me of a 30-40 min wait. I only waited 35 minutes and from what i saw patients were being seen and treated reasonably quickly. I saw a lovely triage nurse and she referred me to a doctor who was a very nice GP and advised me accordingly at putting my mind at ease. Overall I am very satisfied with the service I received at this centre and would not hesitate to go agin in future.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 August 2014

Many thanks for your positive comments, we always strive to provide a friendly efficient service despite many daily challenges. We appreciate you taking the time and effort to praise us.

Sarah Adkins
Lead Nurse - Urgent Care Centre

P2010 gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Hemorrhoid Banding

Attended today to have three haemorrhoids banded. Not looking forward to it because of the indignity and possible pain.

Why was I worried? I was seen within ten minutes of my appointment time by two great female doctors who explained everything to me and checked that I was OK to go ahead.

The procedure lasted just a few minutes and was easy and, for me, completely painless. My dignity and privacy was ensured at all times and I felt completely comfortable with the healthcare staff and their treatment.

Post banding complications were explained and I left feeling relieved and fully understand any actions I should take; and care needed during the following 5 days.

As always, at Lewisham, I was treated in an exemplary manner and can only recommend this hospital once again.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Páidí Creed gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Compassionate and high quality care

I've been treated for a scaphoid fracture at Lewisham for the past 4 weeks, undergoing a fixation operation yesterday afternoon. All through my experience I have been very impressed by the compassion of all staff and the generally high quality of care I received. In 10 years living in the UK this is my first time receiving any substantial treatment on the NHS and I have come away with the feeling that the NHS is a credit to the country, and that Lewisham hospital is a credit to the NHS!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

P2010 gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Ultrasound of Bladder

I am a male aged 60. I attended for a bladder ultrasound on 27th February and was asked to attend with a full bladder. The procedure requires a scan to be done with the full bladder and again after emptying to check on residual urine volume. I had the scan done because of failure to fully empty, post void dribbling and occasional extreme urgency.

My care and treatment was exemplary but I have an important observation to make. To carry out the first scan I had to lay on the table and the sonographer gave me some paper towel roll to tuck around the waistband of my trousers; he then had to force the ultrasound head under the waistband putting extreme pressure on my bladder. I suggested undoing the top button on my trousers to make it easier but he said this was not necessary.

I was extremely worried that, with a full bladder, and the pressure and movement of the ultrasound head could cause either leakage or unintentional voiding. Had this occurred my clothing would have got wet and it would have been very embarrassing leaving the unit and travelling home having obviously wet myself.

I understand the ethos of patient modesty and privacy but, in my opinion, this procedure would be better carried out with the lower clothing lowered to knee level and either a pad or towelling placed so as to capture any leakage; or the wearing of a gown, again with a pad or towelling to capture leakage. This would also have the advantage of making the manipulation of the ultrasound head easier since it could be against bare skin in the right place and aid patient comfort.

The ultrasound rooms have closed doors and curtains so the modesty issue is well covered and, should sonographers or patients have any concerns of exposure the patient could be asked if they would like a sheet to cover the pad/thighs (genitals would be covered by the pad/towelling) – much like in colonoscopies and sigmoioscopies both of which I have also had at Lewisham.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 August 2014

Reading this account from a patient’s perspective highlights a communication issue which will be reiterated to all sonographers at UHL, that each person needs to be respected as an individual and that what may be right for one patient may not sit well with another. From what has been said we will be highlighting that the sonographer should ask what the patient is most comfortable with for their examination and accommodate this. They can use the paper towel to act as a pad, which may make the patient feel somewhat more secure, especially as the need to put pressure on during the scan is necessary to obtain diagnostic images. We see the patient’s comments in a constructive manner and will use them as a timely example to sonographers to view things from the patient’s point of view and therefore would like to take the opportunity to thank this gentleman for his comments, which hopefully will improve examinations for future patients.

Malcolm J McNinch
Head of Imaging
0208 333 3000 x 6835

T WEST gave General Medicine at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Px Care from Emergency Dept to Ward

UHL has an excellent care system for patients attending the ED all the way through to becoming admitted. This meant quick investigative testing (e.g. bloods and X-Rays etc) and a fast response from ED doctors.

The wards at UHL (both Chestnut (MAU) and Alder) wards provided an excellent level of care, and did their hospital proud with every single patient, nurses (day and night) were really attentive and caring, quick and responsive, a true asset to the NHS

I would like for UHL to pass my comments on to the three departments, as they have excellent services, clean and tidy.

One final comment regarding sub-contracted services to Initial (housing keeping and catering) absolutely excellent – although non-clinical staff they were extremely friendly and helpful, and the team as a whole throughout the hospital clearly had one motive – to ensure patient care were excellent and patients treated with dignity and respect.

As for the NHS Friends and Family Test – I would recommend this hospital to anyone in need to medical assistance. Keep up the good work UHL.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 24 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 August 2014

Thank you for all your positive and kind comments on our hospital. Your feedback has been forwarded to all concerned and we wish you a speedy recovery.

Glen Davidson
Patient Experience Manager
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Urgent care dept dr amazing

The dr my wife saw is a real credit to the nhs he's dealt with my wife's pain and was so so great with her this man needs a medal

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The Urgent Care Centre always strives to provide the best possible care for our patients and I am always very pleased to hear when we have been successful. I have shared your positive comments with the team.

Ann-Marie Coiley
Senior Matron for Emergency Department

Anonymous reviewed Maternity service at University Hospital Lewisham

very supportive staff around possible fatal anomalies

I was given a very high risk factor of Downs syndrome in my pregnancy at 15 weeks after a blood test. I was called on my mobile within three days of the test to inform me, and was able to see a very positive, open, supportive team within two days after that. Both the specialist midwife and the consultant were excellent, which, under very stressful circumstances, was great for us.

Once the final amniocentesis result was through (all clear, thankfully) the midwife phoned me the next day, relieving me of several gut-twisting days of anxiety. I believe she even called me on her own mobile phone.

I was really impressed by how they delivered difficult and complex information, laid out choices well, were sympathetic and encouraging and upbeat, and responded promptly.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased to hear that all is well with your pregnancy. As you say this is such a stressful time and having excellent timely communication is what we strive to achieve. It is our aim to provide all women with a high standard of care when choosing to birth at Lewisham and Greenwich Trust and I am so pleased that this was your experience.

Helen Knower
Head of Midwifery

Stella gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Care provided by Womens Health

I am now 33 weeks pregnant and i am classified a high risk pregnancy for this reason i am meant to see the obstetrician on a regular basis. I last saw the obstetrician on the 12th of June and a follow-up appt booked on a the 17th of July. I got to the hospital on the 17th of July only to be told that my appointment was cancelled after that i noticed that a text was sent to me at 11.24 informing me about my cancelled appt at 11.30! obviously i was already at the hospital!

I have today got a letter from the blue saying i have an appt with the obstetrician on the 14th of Aug, which means there is a gap of 9weeks before i see the obstetrician (so much for a high risk pregnancy!) Furthermore, the appt is after the date that i should be having an operation to take out my stitch, which no body has actually talked to me about.

Its my first pregnancy and my experience with Lewisham has been terribly awful.... this hospital is a good example of a very bad NHS service! where staff don't really care about the people they are dealing with!

I still at a loss as to what to do! i will have to go down there to get someone that would actually look and care for me!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 August 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experiences at our Antenatal Clinic – feedback on our service is very important to us. Could you please contact Lynn Bayes, Matron for Community and Clinics on 020 8333 3000 ext 6177 who will be able to investigate what happened and offer an alternative appointment.

Giuseppe Labriola
Lead for Community Midwifery Services, Birth Centres and Antenatal Clinics
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Upper Endoscopy

I was put on fast track for a gastroscopy by my GP because of a family history of stomach or oesophigal cancer. The reception was friendly, area clean, waiting time only two minutes, the doctor kind and understanding of my anxieties (my brother has just been diagnosed with advanced gastric cancer), they listened and agreed to my request for a sedative and in the recovery room afterwards I had the best rest of my last three weeks. I was helped by nurses back to my partner in the waiting room. I feel very lucky to be British, to have an NHS and to be near Lewisham hospital where the care seems to me to be swift, efficient, kindly and I don't see how it can be beaten even if I could afford private healthcare.

Jane