University Hospital Lewisham

Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Sean gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Lewisham hospital yet again cancels my appointment

So I have been waiting 5 months to see a specialist about my thyroid and the appointment was originally meant to be on the 2nd April but then they postponed it a month and a half so it was meant to be this Thursday and hey ho I get a phone call today to say it has been cancelled again all because the specialist wanted to take some leave which is the same lame excuse they game me last time.

I have visited this hospital loads of times and it is one of the worst hospitals for waiting times, ignorant nurses and doctors, communication & care. I actually cannot think of any good points about this hospital.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 12 May 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent emergency gynaecology care

Dear doctor,

I’m writing to thank you for being so kind and caring towards me during my emergency attendance last Sunday morning.

You accepted me as a direct referral when I experienced unexplained bleeding. I was very nervous about my problem but I felt you addressed all my concerns fully and your advice was very comprehensive. Thank you for drawing a diagram and reflecting on your experience to explain the treatment I would require. I am grateful for the time you spent answering my questions fully. Thank you for putting me at ease during an examination which I would have otherwise found very uncomfortable. Thank you also for organising my outpatient follow-up appointment so efficiently.

I think you’re a lovely doctor and very good at your job. Thank you again.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

Strongly recommended

I went to the emergency services in the middle of the night. I was attended by a nurse in less than ten minutes. They gave me paracetamol. Then I saw a doctor and gave me antibiotics.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Pneumonia

The worse hospital I have been into for sometime, it was a mistake to keep this hospital open. Hospital was dirty, staff did not care, treated patients with no respect was told by the doctor on Oak ward that they were looking after the entire hospital so was not expected to know name of patients or their conditions and that the doctor never usually spoke to relatives on a weekend so should be appreciative. If you are ill avoid this hospital like the plague. Their were only two nurses that cared on the ward and a lovely dinner person that took the time to fill in your chart if you did not so that you got something to eat the rest were awful. None of the nurses responded to the patient buzzer or if the poor patient resorted to shouting they were ignored. None of the nurses or Dr's smiled or encouraged the patients to communicate they were happy to leave them in their beds all day long or those that were able were left to wonder around to bother other patients knocking over their belonging or moving them.
If they promise you aftercare don't believe it. Discharged and they forgot to organise care they promised now its my responsibility to get my owe care sorted. Avoid this hospital if you can more likely to get worse than better. The level of staff care in this hospital was awful. Nursing use to be a vocational now its all about how much money I can get for doing next to nothing at all. Some of the nurses personal hygiene left a lot to be desired also not like it use to be taking pride in the way they looked, their uniform and the hospital they work in.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Fabiana Borelli gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

postponing my c section another traumatic experience

Today I am 39 weeks pregnant and after a previous horrible experience,the hospital decided to book an elective Csection for 6/4./15 when I was 30 weeks pregnant. When I was 37 weeks pregnant the hospital realised that 6/4 was bank-holiday and the hospital decided to anticipate my c section for 02/04.
Because it was a bit too early i had to take 2 doses of steroids and manage things at home to accommodate the new date.Without counting my extra costs.
I was here 7am on 2/4 and they left me for hours seating on a metal bench with my dislocated pelvic bones. Afternoon I went to maternity ward and at the after fasting almost 24 hours they cancelled my c section.
The hospital said that some emergency came up and they kept postponing my turn.
Today after 3 days fasting and waiting for my turn.
Hospital decides to postpone it for 7/4 because is easter holidays and they are in recession.I have been cooperating with them all the time but today I feel that the hospital is breeching a few birth laws as the have a free theatre which they decided to close and leave me in bed till 07/04.
I feel that my human rights are being away violated ,
I have no option but to wait.
I would like to have your support to fight against their cold money wise decision.
It is horrible to be in this vulnerable side.
What shall i do???

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 04 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 April 2015

I am truly sorry to hear of your experience of maternity services at Lewisham hospital over the Easter period. I am, however, grateful that you have taken the time to write and share your experience with us and would like to offer assurance that a full investigation into the issues you have raised will take place and that I will write to you formally once the investigation has been completed.

Sue Chatterley
Deputy Head of Midwifery

Anonymous gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Dehumanised & humiliated within 48 hours

Admitted from A&E to Linden Ward potentially for emergency surgery, I was questioned by one doctor who wanted to know the circumstances of how I contacted hiv, (the relevance of this is still a mystery to me) and then examined by another consultant surgeon who, very loudly, declared at the nurses station just outside the bay I was in, "I do not want to have to look after that man!". This was after they had shouted all my medical details across the bay to all the other people on the ward. The concept of patient confidentiality clearly bypassed them entirely. The staff nurse on day duty had a voice that could laser through the thickest concrete walls. They were not interested in nursing so much as shouting instructions at other staff & patients. The stress, humiliation and degradation I suffered in that hospital was nothing short of appalling.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 10 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

CONSTANCE gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Thank You Lewisham Hospital.

In the last few months, my husband has had to visit A&E twice and was admitted twice and on both occasions received very good treatment by all staff - in the A&E department and in the ward.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 20 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Amazing labour and maternity hospital.

The maternity ward and labour suite in this hospital are an absolute credit to the NHS. They represent everything its founding principals were built on. The staff went above and beyond to make me, my wife and our new baby comfortable. They showed genuine passion and care.

My wife delivered our little girl by emergency c section having been transferred here from QEQM in Margate which is about seventy miles away and the quality of care the midwives and theatre staff provided us with has left me with the feeling that we never want to go anywhere else should we have another child.

There really were too many people to thank individually. You have made a real difference and you should be very proud of what you have here.

Matt, Jasmin and baby Violet

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 23 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

We had excellent prompt very caring experience

I took my ten year old son on a Saturday evening to Urgent Care following 111 advice on the phone. He had had a trampolene accident that afternoon and had hurt his foot. We were worried something might be broken as he felt in pain and unable to walk on it. We were seen by Triage within ten minutes and had an x ray within half an hour and diagnosis within the hour (just a sprain). All the staff were lovely and helped my son to use his crutches and advise him to walk gently on his foot . Everything was clean, well organised and calm. We are very relieved. We are very thankful to have our NHS on our doorstep. Thank you!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Dawn Atkinson gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Fracture clinic - on-going input

I broke my wrist on the 19th Jan 2015 and ended with an op for a plate. Following which I have had on-going appointments with the fracture clinic and Physio and of course X-rays!
I can honestly say that the treatment I have received has been outstanding!
From my visit to A&E, the nurses were amazing, so helpful and caring. They handled my tears and helped me understand how much damage I had done to my wrist (though, I am still have problems coming to terms with damage!)
To the day I had the op, the nurses were lovely while I was waiting to be seen and the staff in the operating theatre were very friendly, putting me at ease.
To my on-going visits to physio, where they have been outstanding, from the staff who have made my appointments; everyone has been friendly and helpful.
To my consultant, who often have the reputation of being dismissive, has gone out of their way to helpful. Given me time to answer questions when I wasn't sure what was being suggested, to making time for me when another X-ray was needed.
in fact my only issue at the moment is a wait for the pain clinic and I need to keep going back as I am not 'fixed!' and a member of staff at X-ray... and I should have spoken out at the time, as their manner was already being questioned. however, I was in too much of a flap after being told that I needed another referral.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 April 2015