University Hospital Lewisham

Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Spot on clinical care

I attended with a red, swollen and hot hand 36 hours after being bitten. I was concerned it was infected because I developed cellulitis in the past when I left an infected bite. I wondered whether I would need antibiotics so that I don't need to take a day off work the following day if I developed a fever again. I was seen by an emergency nurse practitioner who assessed the injury, cleaned and dressed the wound, marked out the area of skin changes and advised that antibiotics would not be required if the redness remained contained. I was delighted when over the next 24 hours the skin changes improved, I lost no time from work and did not need antibiotics. Thank you!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

patrick gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

excellent treatment - worth the wait

2 month wait for my appointment this morning (but for a non-urgent hearing problem so I guess not too bad).

Beofre reaching the ENT department, a friendly staff member gave me directions to the department (when she spotted me looking a little lost). On arrival at ENT the receptionist checked me in efficiently and courteously.

My appointment was set for 09:51. That seemed a little overly specific, but I was called for hearing tests at 09:52, so I guess they know what they're doing!

From there on it was an unerringly smooth and efficient process, staffed by people who were polite, professional and helpful throughout.

Makes you proud to pay your taxes.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Janet gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Appointment adult ENT

I visited the adult ENT clinic on the 22nd September after waiting over an hour after my scheduled appointment time I was seen by a very proffessional audiologist and doctor who were very helpfull kind and obviously knowledgeable they explained everything to me in a compassionate manner especially when they informed me i would need hearing aids they were able to put my fears at ease now for the bad part part I was informed today by the receptionist of ENT that I will have to wait until February for my next appointment thast 5 months away from my last appointment then on top of that I waited 6 weeks for the initial appointment I find this totally unacceptable I work for a living and am finding it increasingly difficult to hear when using the telephone etc the hearing loss is affecting my life.One strange thing though the receptionist informed me i f I go to St Marys i dont need to wait so long lucky i phoned her or i wouldnt have known ths is terrible service

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Billie gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Staff at childrens a&e

I would like to thank all the Drs and nurses at the a&e childrens ward for looking after my little girl after her road accident. Megan is ok and on her road to recovery thanks to you all and the ambulance that was there at the site too.
I'm so happy with the way she was treated and would like to thank the doctor for helping her so promptly and for reassuring her whilst Megan was in his care

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Attitude is everything - Orthopaedics

From the reception staff who would make eye contact and then look away without speaking to you or hold up their hand to stop you speaking, to the Doctor who had the wrong x-ray on screen and didn't introduce himself, to the plaster technician who snapped that we could wait for information about plaster care until he had finished - it was not a happy visit. The best person was the lovely friendly nurse who was running the clinic, who knew what she was doing, what advice to give and smiled.

I had to fight to avoid an unnecessary x-ray and that was only because as a health professional I knew how to argue the case. Most of the staff in the department seemed unhappy, bored and surly. Did I mention the person on her phone in the plaster room checking out emails? and it wasn't work.

Lewisham's reputation will stand and fall by the attitude of it's staff - and them thinking that patients are the blockage to the smooth running of their department is not a good place for that attitude to start.

I have heard similar things from others about this department - you need to sort it out - or your local population won't want to save you next time the axe is ready to fall

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Never again

My 11 year old son broke his hand and we arrived at A & E at 7:30pm. We left at 2:10 in the morning. Staff were rude, sarcastic, unfriendly, uncaring... And to think I campaigned to keep this place open.

I will never go there again. Really angry.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

children's inpatients (green zone)

My 6 year old son had his tonsils and adenoids removed today.
Every member of staff we encountered from the lady who booked us in, nurses, porters, staff in the Ravenbourne restaurant were friendly, helpful, happy and kind. I could not have wished for a more stress free day.
Despite my son being sick a few times and at 1 point not looking like he would be discharged the nurses were never abrupt or pushy when trying to get him to eat or wake up. In fact they were quite relaxed about the possibility of staying over in another ward and reassured us that whatever the outcome it really wouldn't be a problem.
During the afternoon there were a few occasions when monitors were beeping and nurses had to go from child to child to check they were okay, not once did they appear stressed or harassed at being busy.
We have been to other hospitals such as PRUH and I would 100% wish to go back to Lewisham instead of the others for all the reasons I have stated above and more.
Never let this hospital get shut down or downsized or downgraded or whatever the government call it.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

PS2010 gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent Care Unit

I attended the urgent Care Unit at Lewisham because I had had an operation on my ear and was told that should I get any pain or infection I should see my doctor immediately or go to A&E.

After a day of emailing, texting and trying to phone Rushey Green Group practice to get an emergency appointment they finally contacted me to tell me to queue up at 2pm to get an appointment or they could make one for a week's time. Having been in bed all weekend with a high temperature and feeling unwell and in pain, not withstanding ENT's instructions, I told them I would visit A&E instead. This produced an email saying I would have to wait hours at A&E and should attend the surgery and queue for an appointment.

I decided to give Lewisham's Urgent care Unit a try. From the moment I arrived I was treated courteously and eventually saw the GP doctor who thoroughly examined both ears and told me what the problem was and provided me with strong antibiotics, and instructed me what further action I needed to take. I was in and out within an hour.

Obviously one should visit the surgery where possible but when your own surgery is unable to provide proper care I would thoroughly recommend Lewisham.

I seem to be visiting various departments at Lewisham quite frequently, lately, and always get a 100% standard of care.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 01 October 2014

P2010 gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Hemorrhoid Banding

Attended today to have three haemorrhoids banded. Not looking forward to it because of the indignity and possible pain.

Why was I worried? I was seen within ten minutes of my appointment time by two great female doctors who explained everything to me and checked that I was OK to go ahead.

The procedure lasted just a few minutes and was easy and, for me, completely painless. My dignity and privacy was ensured at all times and I felt completely comfortable with the healthcare staff and their treatment.

Post banding complications were explained and I left feeling relieved and fully understand any actions I should take; and care needed during the following 5 days.

As always, at Lewisham, I was treated in an exemplary manner and can only recommend this hospital once again.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Impressed at efficiency

After telephoning 111 I was advised to visit the Urgent care unit at Lewisham hospital. Upon arrival the lady receptionist was incredibly helpful, understanding, compassionate and overall lovely. She took all of my information and advised me of a 30-40 min wait. I only waited 35 minutes and from what i saw patients were being seen and treated reasonably quickly. I saw a lovely triage nurse and she referred me to a doctor who was a very nice GP and advised me accordingly at putting my mind at ease. Overall I am very satisfied with the service I received at this centre and would not hesitate to go agin in future.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 August 2014

Many thanks for your positive comments, we always strive to provide a friendly efficient service despite many daily challenges. We appreciate you taking the time and effort to praise us.

Sarah Adkins