University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

stewartdm gave Dermatology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Praise for the dermatology department

I'm just writing to praise the dermatology Department.I went in on Monday to have a mole checked out.
The receptionists were good and knew their job.
The Doctor was good and managed to get me in the next day to have the mole removed.
This was also done efficiently.
All in all a very good and impressive service.
Thanks to the whole department.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

Helen A gave Dermatology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to all in the Dermatology Clinic re my appointment on Monday 4 April. All the staff and the doctor were excellent. Thank you also to the very kind person at the information point who took me round to the clinic rather than give me complicated directions. It was very considerate of them and I appreciated it very much.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 15 April 2016

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit to the Dermatology department at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). These will be shared with the staff and the volunteers who cover the information service.

Kind regards.

Patient Experience Team UHL

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Urgent Care Problems

I went to the Lewisham Urgent Care facility on a Sunday evening, after the local walk-in clinic refused to see me ("it's a little late and we are going to close soon"). I waited 45 minutes to see an assessment nurse, then another 2 hours to see a doctor. Whilst waiting, there was a woman in a wheelchair with head injuries sitting near me - she had a bandage wrapped around her head, was semi-concious and obviously in a very poor state. She started to moan, and the sayng "someone help me, please someone help me", and crying. A couple awaiting treatment were sitting next to her, tried to comfort her and get some help. Each time that they were able to find staff, the dismissed their concerns. There was no staff watching the waiting area at all. Eventually, after close to an hour (she was there before I arrived), a nurse came and pushed her towards the emergency doors. A staff member came out later and had a word with the concerned couple who had looked after her, saying very flippantly that she had "crashed" and that they were trying to revive her. Really, did someone with such serious injuries have to sit, unattended, in the centre of the waiting area? Was there no bed for her? Besides this awful experience, the entire experience felt like something from Cambodia, rather than London. The entire process was chaotic, there was no notification system to call people (just nurses leaning out doors and yelling down the hall). I realise that this was urgent care, with some sort of link to the hospital A&E ward as well, but the experience made patients feel like carcasses in a meat plant.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 11 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 19 April 2016

We are sorry that you had such a negative experience of the Emergency Department, staff are trying to maintain the highest standards under extreme pressure and we are always disappointed when these standards are not met. We are always looking at new ways to improve our service and take feedback very seriously, whilst It is not possible for us to comment on individual patients without more information, but if you wish to contact the dept to discuss your experience one of us would be happy to talk to you.
Sarah Carver
Matron ED

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Would not recommend

The service is poor! The midwifes are not too friendly at all. They are cutting down on costs so that means less people, less privacy. This hospital is just a mess. Not the same service as 8 years ago when I had my daughter.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 19 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you for your feedback on our maternity service. We aim to provide the highest level of care at all times and I am sorry that we did not achieve this. If you would like the opportunity to discuss what happened in more detail or meet in person please do contact Helen Murphy, Midwifery Inpatient Matron, on helenmurphy4@nhs.net or 02083333000 EXT 6476.

Sunny gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Rude staff night maternity ward

Awful place... rude and ignorant nurses, only a handful of caring ones. Food staff are ignorant and barely acknowledge the patients. The nurses I saw left food for elderly people on the table even though they could not reach the food themselves. My mother has been in tears every morning since she has been in there. A few nurses are very kind but they are few and far between. There should be undercover patients sent in to see what goes on!! A lady was calling to go to the toilet for an hour and was told to 'stop shouting'. A nurse was overheard saying 'these patients get on my nerves'. Nobody wants to be in hospital, the least they deserve is some respect and compassion. Awful place. I complained to PALS about several issues and I have to say that they did respond and dealt with them promptly but overall this hospital needs a complete review of how the staff treat vulnerable patients.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 19 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

An impeccable service in A&E, paediatrics, and orthopaedics

My son was admitted via children's A&E with a broken arm that required surgery to repair. Throughout his stay, all the staff we encountered - nursing, housekeeping, medical - were kind, caring, and worked together with incredible efficiency and professionalism. The hospital itself was sparklingly clean.

All of this was especially impressive given that my son's admission took place during the junior doctors' strike.

As with every visit I make to Lewisham Hospital, I feel very lucky and reassured to have this wonderful service nearby.

Thank you so much!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

David Crowther gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Excellent in every aspect

Following total knee replacement I had the good fortune to be assigned to Linden Ward for my recovery. I cannot fault any part of my care. The staff at all levels were very careing and friendly which helps to aid recovery. I found the ward to be clean at all times. Considering the kitchen must cater for a good many people I found the food to be of a good standard with a fair choice of items on the menu.
I must commend the nursing staff who often worked very long shifts but always had a smile and showed so much compassion. When I have my other knee replaced I hope I am lucky enough to return to Linden to recover.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 April 2016

Thank you for the kind comments and your positive post operative experience on Linden ward. It is important to receive such comments and I will make sure that these comments are shared among all staff on Linden ward including the Hostess and Domestic.

Indra Seeboruth
Ward Manager

Nicola gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Very happy

After having a hysterectomy I was transferred to Lindon ward. On arrival to the ward a nurse introduced themselves and put me at ease. I was asked if my pain was ok, given water and made comfortable. I stayed for 5 days. The staff were all so kind and friendly. Nothing too much trouble and were ready to put you at ease. I was also pleased to see continual hand washing. The night staff were also brilliant always explaining what was happening and what tablets were being given and why.
My experience has been a really good one, and I can only give praise.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 14 February 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 February 2016

Dear Nicola,

It was very much appreciated that you took the time to give Linden ward favourable feedback following your recent admission.

I will ensure the staff on the ward receive this encouragement. I was particularly pleased that the staff took the time to explain medications and that you witnessed good hand hygiene. These are both imperative for safe and effective care and our staff are trained to prioritise both. It is pleasing that this translates into bedside care.

I do hope you continue to recover and have further positive experiences if you need to return for clinic appointments.

Many thanks

Karen

Karen Gardiner
Clinical Governance Manager

GZeven gave Haematology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

In hospital for Cancer diagnosis - stayed on Laurel Ward

I stayed on the Laurel Ward at Lewisham Hospital for about a week and a half.
Ward staff were great! Caring, always checking on us and usually smiling and giving a kind word. As they are supposed to they created a great 'cocoon' for me to deal with my new situation.
Ok, hospital food is not Michelin level, but the catering department does a good job! There are even second helpings if you ask nicely!

Thank you to all the staff on the ward. You made a difference!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 19 February 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 February 2016

Dear GZ

Many thanks for taking time to let us know how well you were treated. At Lewisham and Greenwich NHS, we aim to ensure that our patients have a very positive experience – to feel and look ‘well looked after’. We believe we do this well and are really delighted when we get feedback like this to let us know we are on track.
I wish you well with your treatment.

Ugochi Agbasimelo
Matron – Acute & Emergency Medicine

midwifes lack empathy and compassion

I would never recommend any women to have her baby in this hospital. The majority of the midwifes do not possess good communication skills, an lack empathy or compassion. The staff are uncaring and abrupt, and fail to provide holistic care to patients and families. Also very worrying is the fact that a member of my family was allowed to enter the maternity ward, without being challenged by any member of staff, as to why she was there, therefore walked freely down the ward amongst the new mothers and new born babies, until she realised she was in the wrong area, and promptly exited, clearly indicating a lack of security in this area.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 08 February 2016

Thank you for your feedback on our maternity service. We aim to provide the highest level of care at all times and I am disappointed that we did not achieve this. If you would like the opportunity to discuss what happened in more detail or meet in person please do contact Helen Murphy Midwifery Inpatient Matron on helenmurphy4@nhs.net or 02083333000 EXT 6476.
Your comments will be shared with the team so that they can reflect and learn from your experience. We will be meeting with the reception staff on the ward to discuss the issue raised about security on the ward so that this does not happen again. Once again, I am very sorry for your experience but thank you for taking the time to write in. Feedback gives us an opportunity to make improvements to the services we provide.

Helen Murphy