University Hospital Lewisham

Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Good treatment but no peace at night

What I liked

Admitted for overnight stay with heart prob in Chestnut ward. Staff lovely but no peace! Young woman allowed radio on loud, IV line alarms constantly going off and staff not bothering to respond to them. Staff banging around and shouting to each other all night. Don't they realise you're trying to rest? Care altogether very good but the noise level so unacceptable for night time.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 16 November 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Grateful of catford gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

ENT

Brought mum (aged 87)in for her hearing test doctor was patient and explained every stage of the test and the out comes to her..
Brilliant that we had a Saturday appointment..

Mum is so happy she can take part in family conversations and can watch tv without subtitles..
Thank you so much for improving the daily quality of her life .

Many many thanks

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 23 November 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

patrick gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

excellent treatment - worth the wait

2 month wait for my appointment this morning (but for a non-urgent hearing problem so I guess not too bad).

Beofre reaching the ENT department, a friendly staff member gave me directions to the department (when she spotted me looking a little lost). On arrival at ENT the receptionist checked me in efficiently and courteously.

My appointment was set for 09:51. That seemed a little overly specific, but I was called for hearing tests at 09:52, so I guess they know what they're doing!

From there on it was an unerringly smooth and efficient process, staffed by people who were polite, professional and helpful throughout.

Makes you proud to pay your taxes.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 November 2014

Thank you for your comments. It is always good to receive feedback from patients about the services we provide and I was very pleased to read that you had such a positive experience. Please be assured that your comments will be passed to the team. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your experience.
Laura Wilkinson, Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access

Anita Corfield gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

ENT department

My husband visited the above unit last weekend for a minor procedure. We were amazed how great the Riverside Department was really up to date and extremely accommodating. The Doctor and Nurses were highly efficient and extremely comforting. We would have no problems in recommending Lewisham Hospital to future patients.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 November 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always strive to provide a friendly and efficient service and I was very pleased to read that you and your husband had such a positive experience. I appreciate you taking the time to praise us and thank you for your recommendation.
Laura Wilkinson, Service Manager ENT, Ophthalmology & Access

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Emergency and four day admission

I read an earlier review saying attitude is everything, well hear hear.

The first nurse and doctor I met were lovely and filled me with hope, since then I have been treated with disrespect, and been given false information repeatedly.
Day 2 the nurse lost my drug sheet, so instead of chasing it up with a doctor to get a new one (and risk owning the nurse's error) the nurse simply gave me no medication at all.

The doctors are kind and considerate (when you get to see one) but they are clearly understaffed.

I witnessed no less than 20 inter staff arguments, shouting - the works. Tension is high.
The nurses in the wards were self important and frequently downright cruel to the patients. I watched one reduce an elderly woman to tears when the nurse simply wouldn't take the time to listen to her explain why she couldn't move unaided.
I was treated poorly. I was scared, I had been diagnosed with a life threatening illness and was then promptly ignored for two days "because it was the weekend". I had a series of questions I needed answered and nowhere to go.

Quite frankly Lewisham Hospital would be the perfect advertisement for health insurance, because faced with this place you'd pay almost anything not to have to go back.

Several of my items went "missing" when I was in the bathroom.

Honestly, if you have another choice of hospital to attend - go there. It cannot be worse than here.
And of you could conveniently allocate your ailments from Monday to Friday you'd also be doing yourself a favour.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 November 2014

Thank you very much for feeding back your comments about care you received at Lewisham Hospital recently. I was really sorry to read that you had a less than positive experience and ask that you contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) team so that they talk to you to obtain more detail about yourself and your experiences and, with your consent, instigate an investigation into the issues you have raised. Our PALS team can be contacted on 0208 333 3355.
Thank you again for taking the time to feedback your experiences.
Sue Ludlow, Patient Experience Manager

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Spot on clinical care

I attended with a red, swollen and hot hand 36 hours after being bitten. I was concerned it was infected because I developed cellulitis in the past when I left an infected bite. I wondered whether I would need antibiotics so that I don't need to take a day off work the following day if I developed a fever again. I was seen by an emergency nurse practitioner who assessed the injury, cleaned and dressed the wound, marked out the area of skin changes and advised that antibiotics would not be required if the redness remained contained. I was delighted when over the next 24 hours the skin changes improved, I lost no time from work and did not need antibiotics. Thank you!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 27 November 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback following your visit to our Urgent Care Centre. We always strive to give the best possible care for our patients and I am always pleased to hear when we have achieved this.
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Janet gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Appointment adult ENT

I visited the adult ENT clinic on the 22nd September after waiting over an hour after my scheduled appointment time I was seen by a very proffessional audiologist and doctor who were very helpfull kind and obviously knowledgeable they explained everything to me in a compassionate manner especially when they informed me i would need hearing aids they were able to put my fears at ease now for the bad part part I was informed today by the receptionist of ENT that I will have to wait until February for my next appointment thast 5 months away from my last appointment then on top of that I waited 6 weeks for the initial appointment I find this totally unacceptable I work for a living and am finding it increasingly difficult to hear when using the telephone etc the hearing loss is affecting my life.One strange thing though the receptionist informed me i f I go to St Marys i dont need to wait so long lucky i phoned her or i wouldnt have known ths is terrible service

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Billie gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Staff at childrens a&e

I would like to thank all the Drs and nurses at the a&e childrens ward for looking after my little girl after her road accident. Megan is ok and on her road to recovery thanks to you all and the ambulance that was there at the site too.
I'm so happy with the way she was treated and would like to thank the doctor for helping her so promptly and for reassuring her whilst Megan was in his care

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 27 November 2014

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences and, most importantly that your child is getting better. I was very pleased to read that you experienced the high quality care we endeavour to provide throughout the patient journey. Thank you again for your comments and be assured that these will be shared with our staff.
Robert Cole, Matron Children's Services

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Attitude is everything - Orthopaedics

From the reception staff who would make eye contact and then look away without speaking to you or hold up their hand to stop you speaking, to the Doctor who had the wrong x-ray on screen and didn't introduce himself, to the plaster technician who snapped that we could wait for information about plaster care until he had finished - it was not a happy visit. The best person was the lovely friendly nurse who was running the clinic, who knew what she was doing, what advice to give and smiled.

I had to fight to avoid an unnecessary x-ray and that was only because as a health professional I knew how to argue the case. Most of the staff in the department seemed unhappy, bored and surly. Did I mention the person on her phone in the plaster room checking out emails? and it wasn't work.

Lewisham's reputation will stand and fall by the attitude of it's staff - and them thinking that patients are the blockage to the smooth running of their department is not a good place for that attitude to start.

I have heard similar things from others about this department - you need to sort it out - or your local population won't want to save you next time the axe is ready to fall

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 27 November 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor attitude you feel was displayed by staff when you visited the hospital. We expect all our staff to show professionalism and courtesy to our patients and I am very disappointed to read that this was not your experience. Although not able to respond to your comments about the treatment you received in clinic I am, however, able to respond to your general observations. I agree that it would not be acceptable for staff to check their personal e-mails and and I am sorry that you found some staff to be unhappy or surly.

Thank you for bring your concerns to our attention and we will use your feedback to improve our services and remind staff of the need for professionalism.
Karin Hofmeijer, Service Manager Orthopaedics

Never again

My 11 year old son broke his hand and we arrived at A & E at 7:30pm. We left at 2:10 in the morning. Staff were rude, sarcastic, unfriendly, uncaring... And to think I campaigned to keep this place open.

I will never go there again. Really angry.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 September 2014

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 November 2014

As the Matron for the Children's Emergency Department I was very disappointed to hear of your son's recent experience in the department. I was extremely concerned to read that you found staff 'rude, sarcastic, unfriendly, uncaring', as this is not the standard of care we strive to achieve. I would value the opportunity of meeting with you to explore your concerns, if possible. Please contact me on 07557541720 or call switchboard on 0208 333 3000 and ask to be put through to me.
Robert Cole, Matron Children's Services