University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Aphra Anderson gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

Not able to get through to speak to someone

I was extremely eager to get my first appointment with a midwife, and because it was a Saturday when I found the contact information, I thought it would be faster to submit an online self-referral form. After 10 days of waiting, I called (as specified on your website) to try to get an appointment. I called the midwife contact number on the Lewisham and Greenwich website and left a message. I received a call later that day, but was told that they were Greenwich midwives, not Lewisham, and I had been referred to University Hospital Lewisham, so they had to give me the contact details for your hospital. I called the number that I was given many many times over the last four working days. I am constantly listening to a ringing phone, pressing one and starting the procedure over and over again with absolutely no luck. I left a message on a second phone number that I got for Lewisham maternity services, which was last week, and no response. Today the menu changed when I called and no longer seemed to offer me the opportunity to enter my extension number, instead it asked what department I wanted. I got through to Maternity, and was told that they don't deal with that, and I need to try a different extension. (Not the same as the extension I have been trying for 4 days, so who knows which one is actually correct!) I attempted to explain that the phone was not allowing me to enter extension numbers, but just had the member of staff repeat the procedure to me as if I didn't understand the concept. I marched to keep this maternity ward open and am truly disappointed in this situation.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 July 2016

Sincere apologies for the confusion and delay in receiving your first midwifery appointment. This is not what we expect from our services and it is not a reflection on the care we give.
The community services have recently undergone a new way of working; based out in the community Children’s Centres and Medical Centres. The phone lines should have been redirected ensuring that a delay didn’t occur.

Apologies again for this upset, can I suggest that you contact me at lynn.bayes@nhs.net and I will arrange your first appointment and inform you of your named midwife.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Elaine Nwokolo gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 3 stars

Antenatal Clinic Reception

I have just come home from my 36 week antenatal scan and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I arrived 5 minutes before my appointment time and waited in the reception queue. I waited for 15 minutes in the queue with 6 other heavily pregnant women. There were a few ladies in front of me who also looked very heavy and fed up. There was only one receptionist who was seeing to a patient though others were walking around and didn't even acknowledge the long queue! It was extremely warm in the reception area and no one even addressed the fact that we were waiting until one midwife took pity on us and asked someone from the back office to come out and see to us. I was so disappointed in the service or lack there of and the fact that no one even apologised for making us wait for so long. This isn't the first time it's occurred and is a shame that the poor staff let down this section of the hospital as down the corridor in the birthing suite, the staff there were absolutely lovely!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 July 2016

Apologies for the delay in booking in at the reception desk. The administration team are trying to accommodate the large numbers of women who are attending for their appointments and are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I have discussed this with the administration team and the team leader in the Antenatal Clinic so that your concerns can be addressed.

The team leader will ask her staff to remind women and families of the water fountain and to apologise for any delay in appointments. Large fans have been ordered to help with the warmer months.

The administration manager will address your concerns with her team and ensure that they are aware of queues especially with heavily pregnant women.

Thank you for the positive feedback about the Birth Centre, this will be fed back to the Manager.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Andre gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience and great midwifes.

My son were born on the 15th of July 2016. My wife were giving birth in the birth center which were very amazing. Clean and large rooms, amazing friendly staff. Many thanks to our wonderful friendly and great midwife. They were top of the top. It was very easy with them. Hope to have them as a midwife next time my wife will give birth! Many thank to all staff!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 20 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 21 July 2016

Congratulations to both mum and dad. The Lewisham Birth Centre is delighted to hear such positive feedback; the philosophy of the unit is to create a home from home environment where women and their families feel relaxed and have a wonderfully positive birth experience. It is always a pleasure to have feedback from parents who are obviously very busy with their new baby so I thank you for taking the time to write this comment.

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Elaine Nwokolo gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Poor service at Antenatal Reception Desk

Today I feel compelled to write a review for the second time. I am now in for my 38 week follow up after coming in two weeks ago and find myself in exactly the same situation as previously. I arrived on time for my 10.30am appointment and had to queue with other heavily pregnant women for 15 minutes myself before anyone even checked me in. There is nowhere to even sit whilst waiting as you lose your place in the queue and staff don't even apologise or acknowledge the wait. Something really needs to be done to address this problem as generally the service with sonographers, consultants and midwives is very good and it's a shame that front of house are letting the service down.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 26 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Jade1991 gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

no communication!

I am now 12 weeks pregnant and have been waiting for an appointment since finding out at 7 weeks. I finally received an appointment letter which arrived the day after the scheduled appointment! I have called the Women's Health department on 3 occasions and have been told on each occasion that someone will get back to me to reschedule. I find this particularly worrying as I have pre-existing diabetes so thought that I would have had seen a midwife a lot earlier. This is my first baby so I am finding the whole experience nerve-wracking and underwhelming. I feel as if you are left by Lewisham Hospital to deal with things on your own. What is particularly upsetting is that I had maintained since finding out I was expecting that Lewisham would be my hospital of choice for antenatal care as I had heard good things from other people, however I now feel that I have no choice but to ask my GP to be referred to another hospital!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 26 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 28 July 2016

I am so sorry that you have experienced such problems with your initial appointment at our hospital. Please can you email me Helen.knower@nhs.net (Head of Midwifery) and I will ensure that an urgent appointment is arranged for you

Helen Knower
Head of Midwifery

Ann Smith reviewed Haematology at University Hospital Lewisham

Care in the day chemo unit.

I have nothing but praise for everyone in the day chemo unit. On occasions you do have to wait a long time ...but despite it being a very busy department you are always given the time needed to care for you. I am under the most wonderfully knowledgable, talented and caring Doctor as are all the Doctors in this Department. I have been assigned a lovely nurse who is always able to answer my questions and makes me feel extremly cared for. All the nurses in the unit are very efficient and caring. Thank you all so much.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 04 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 08 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of care received in our Chemotherapy Day Unit. The team always strive to provide safe quality care to patients and it is nice to know that we have been able to achieve that.

Matron Cancer Services

Sandra Millican gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

visit to A and E

Had a reaction to medication. Went to Beckenham Beacon to find out whether to keep taking the medication, but they advised I needed a blood test. BB tried to refer me to the Pru, but the consultant refused to see me "We're not a blood testing service." Lewisham A and E were fabulous: efficient, helpful, and polite from the reception desk to the doctors. Could not have asked for more. Thank you very much.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 July 2016

Thank you for your positive comments and taking the time to offer this feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Patient Experience Team

Barry gave University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

X-ray Department

I had an appointment for a chest X-ray 30th June at 09.40, I arrived in the X-ray department at 09.30.
I found the department to be very busy with other patient and staff,, This was my first time to the department X-ray .
I had my X-ray done by 09.45. This is the fastest that I have ever been treated by any department in the NHS and I would recommend . Lewisham Hospital to anyone. Please would you pass on my thanks to all of your staff in the X-ray department .
Barry

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 30 June 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 25 July 2016

Excellent patient care is a high priority for us and we are always delighted to read such positive experiences from people visiting our hospital. Thanks for taking the time to feedback and we hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Wonderful care for my dad

My 84 year old dad was taken by ambulance to UHL after he collapsed with a bleed to the brain, accompanied by my 81 year old mum who has Alzheimer's. The staff in Resus were amazing - they paid for a taxi home for my mum when it got late and continued to care for my dad, finding him a bed in Chestnut Ward where he was monitored for 48 hours by an amazing team of doctors, nurses, OT and Physios. Everybody treated him with respect and they are in the process of arranging care for him when he returns home. He was transferred to Elm Ward where he continues to receive great care and attention.

I have nothing but praise and thanks to all of the staff at UHL who have cared for my dad over the past week - whilst they were extremely busy, they were always happy to speak to me when I had questions or concerns - even the Pharmacist was happy to help me when I asked for an update on my dad's condition. They kept me updated by phone with any progress or concerns they had and details of the course of treatment they were planning.

An amazing job - thank you all.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 26 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make your positive comments regarding your visit to A&E and the wards at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL). These will be shared with all the staff involved in your fathers care.

Patient Experience Team

Rob H gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Lewisham Hospital is amazing for having a baby

On the 19th June our gorgeous daughter was born & we couldn't have been in a better place in the entire world.

Being first time parents myself and my wife were naturally apprehensive about the pregnancy & birth, however, we needn't have been.

From the first scan, to all the ongoing support from the Day Assessment Unit, to all the team on the Anti-natal ward who were there for the induction, to all those involved in the labour, to all involved in the emergency C-section, to the whole team on the maternity ward, were all amazing.

At ever step of the way we, from every member of your team, were greeted with huge amounts of support, compassion & knowledge which made this difficult time of pregnancy & birth much easier.

We are at home now, but we are very proud that are daughter's first home in this world was at Lewisham hospital.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 27 July 2016

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and many congratulations on the birth of your daughter!. As a maternity service we aim to provide the highest standard of care to women and their families. Once again, thank you for getting in touch and I hope that you are enjoying your time together as a new family.

Giuseppe Labriola