University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Early pregnancy unit

I went to the hospital 5th of Oct as I began to worry about my 4 weeks pregnancy. I went to A&E and refered to Early Pregnancy unit. Once I got there I had to wait. I think the prioritization system is based on number rather than urgency i.e if you refered by emergency, may be those people should be attended quicker rather than put into normal queue. But then again there was only 1 nurse working on ultra sound machine and I am 100 % sure they were doing all they can do. They were supportive they was attentive (as much as they can as 1 person within bunch of pregnant ladies). Unfortunately I had miscarriage but the nurse was exceptionally caring. I am sure that for them I am probably 1 of 30 people they see everyday (May be more) . But they made me feel they cared about what is happening to me and treated me with sympathy and dignity. I know people can be unhappy with waiting time etc etc which is not the fault of these wonderful people who are working really hard, but it is due to low funding and lack of support to these people. So special thanks to nurse who was working on Early pregnancy unit, ultra sound machine who helped me enormously on the 5th of Oct.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 October 2017

Thank you for your positive comments. I will pass them on to the EPAU staff.

Patients are seen by number order, however we do prioritise them on clinical need at presentation. We are currently reviewing our posters to explain our system to patients, which will ensure they are kept informed.

kind regards

Advanced Nurse Practitioner, EPAU

Leanne gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional level of care

I have recently spent two day at lewisham hospit for a health reason that had also occured previously. Though my past experience with another hospital being horrific for the same health reason, i asked to attend lewisham and in comparison the level of care i recieved was brilliant. From my surgeon, the anethetists, nursing staff on bell ward, riverside and the triage nurses on CCU. They all work quickly and with compassion. I could have not asked for better care and very appreciatve of this.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Jess gave Sexual health services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

Hawstead Road sexual health centre

Nowhere does it inform you that you need to get to the centre about an hour beforehand if you want to secure an appointment. I turned up at 1:50 for the 2pm clinic to be told all appointments had gone. It's appalling that it appears whichever centre or clinic you attend it is highly unlikely you'll be seen. Not a great service to be honest! Really annoyed that my GP practice doesn't deal with coils anymore as I now have no choice but to go to a sexual health centre, and may not be able to get my coil removed ever!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 06 September 2017

Dear Jess

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to Hawstead Road Sexual Health Centre.

I have contacted the NHS choices website to inform them that the information they have re our sexual health clinics is not accurate and I have sent them the correct details and asked them to update immediately.

Unfortunately people will queue before this and as there is a limit to how many people can be booked in for the session it does happen that capacity is reached very quickly.

We do have a number of suggestions we give to people if they cannot be seen on that day :

We ensure that they have the correct times (including the times that the doors open) and see if they are able to return the following day

We offer them a ‘turnaway slot ‘ for the next day (not Wednesdays) at the Waldron Health Centre . These are not timed appointments but a guarantee that they will be seen in the walk in clinic if they arrive before 9.30am.

We inform them of our evening appointment clinics at Waldron that are on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings 5 – 7pm. These are bookable on the day and the appointment lines open Mon, Tues and Thurs at 10am and Wednesday at 2pm. The appointments are very popular and will go quickly.

We inform people that the Waldron is also open on a Saturday 10 -2 and they are always told that this is a busy clinic and people queue before the doors open at 9.30am.

Anyone presenting with ‘an emergency’ will be spoken to by the senior clinician and will be advised to stay or return accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Sarah Webb
Administration Manager
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Dee gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Horrifying experience

Went to see a specialist at 37th week and due to urgency, was supposed to schedule another appointment a week later. No calls to appointments were being made. Hence, called midwife and they said they managed to slot me in today so was told to go in the morning. Arrived at 9.30am, went for baby heart beat check, temperature and blood pressure check at noon. Told to sit outside at the corridor to wait. After 7.5 hours wait at 5pm, they finally told me no one is available to see me as it was very unfortunate the doctors were not around. Will schedule another appointment within next week with no confirmation of date. I will be 39th week pregnant by then and maybe baby has already popped without your 'professional' help and assistance!
Really? You told a 38 weeks pregnant woman to sit at a corridor for 7.5 hours for that? This hospital is a joke.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 September 2017

I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would really like to understand this further. Can you give me further information which department you attended so that I can look into this for you.

I can be contacted on giuseppe.labriola@nhs.net or 0203 3192 6102

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Very poor service - totally avoid

The worst experience by a mile in any hospital across the globe. My wife and I looked at both Queen Elizabeth and Lewisham as options to deliver our first baby. We opted for Lewisham as at first look ot looked good with new birth centre.

On the due daye the water broke, we went to the birth centre they confirmed and sent us back as there were no contractions. We were told that the contractions come up for most women in 12-24 hours otherwise they try to induce artificially after 24 hours. We went once more in the night as we felt it was time and had contractions every 3-4 minute but were sent back as there was no dialation.

After 24 hours we went directly to Delivery Centre. They admitted us and an Intern came and started doing basic examinations. This was 9:00 am the intern made some notings, put a kids heart rate monitor and said they will be back in 30 min. They never came back and was seen working elsewhere. The midwife came after 90 min and then re-did all the monitoring. It took them another hour for it to be redone. After that a doctor came and prescribed gel to be used for induction and told them they will start soon. They left.

For next 3 hours there was no news. When I went to ask another intern came and put the baby monitor on for no reason and left. They told mid-wives are busy because of the load. We could understand it was a tactic to keep us engaged. Again after an hour I went to the front desk. This time the lead mid wife told me that they have large volumes and can not induce as no midwife is free.

Nor next five hours they kept repeating the same. I went to atleast 3-4 midwives asking if something could be done while my wife was having contractions and no one had a clue.

At around 5:00 pm the lead doctor came in and informed that they dont have midwives as the volumes are high and the induction/augmentation requires a dedicated midwife. It will be morning before the midwife can be arranged. They went on to suggest that we should go to queen elizabeth hospital QEH. This after 8 hours wait in the delivery centre. Which was well staffed when we came in.

What comes next was surprising. Another midwife came and asked if we have our own car to go to QEH or we needed transport. I did not have my car and opted for transport. I thought that there was an ambulance to take us. It appeared that they were calling a cab company to take my wife who was having contractions. Nevertheless We waited and waited and it took the car 1 full hour to come. I told the hospitamitnwould have been better for me to book an Uber instead had they told me earlier.

the midwife took us downstairs to say see us off assuming the car was there and me and my wife were left stranded on the road for next 15 minutes while they figured where the car was.

All in all a very poor experience. No ownership of the patient from staff. They lack planning abilities when things start to go wrong or the volumes are out of control. Very slow needs severe improvements.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 11 September 2017

Thank you for your comments. I would very much appreciate talking to you and your partner to discuss your experience. Could you please call me on 0203 192 6102 or e-mail me on Giuseppe.labriola@nhs.net

Amy gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great support and staff

This is my second time with Lewisham maternity as first baby was born 2015, it is a great department and I have always felt that I received a good service, advice and support from them. My first baby was premature and born in the delivery suite, spent a night in intensive care and week on on the ward. This hospital provides a good service but it is busy and deals with a high volume of people but if you keep your appointments , turn up on time even when there is a queue you will still be seen. I was writing here as was looking at another hospital only because I may move at week 37 and my husband does not drive, this has made me sure I want to remain at Lewisham. I had three appointments in the last three weeks and know I am in good hands.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 September 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 13 September 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear about your experience of our maternity service. We aim to provide the highest standards of care to all women, babies and their families.

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Julie gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Ent

First time here today was fantastic so helpful and the consultant was so kind and helpful thank you

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 August 2017

Thank you very much for your comments, it is always good to hear patients had a good experience. I will share your comments with the whole team.

kind regards

Laura Wilkinson
Service Manager

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Great tour

I just wanted to say how lovely the staff giving us a tour were the other evening. It was really reassuring as a first time mum. My husband also thought it was really informative. Originally from Ireland where you pay for medical care, I can't quite believe the quality of the facilities that are on offer as part of a national health service.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 07 August 2017

I am really glad that you enjoyed the pregnancy evening, these were set up to inform women and their families the support we offer in the hospital and the borough; and offer you the opportunity to meet our staff.

We are very proud of our maternity services and we aim to provide the highest standards of care.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the evening and having a look at our facilities, thank you for letting us know.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Rude, unfriendly, long delay

I attended an outpatient appointment at the orthopaedic clinic today. The delay was over an hour, which sadly was not a surprise. However, the doctor who (eventually) saw me was rude, dismissive and abrupt. I have had a good experience with hospital staff in the Urgent Care Centre so was disappointed to deal with such a discourteous doctor today.

I have made a complaint by email and would encourage others to do the same.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 09 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, we are sorry that your experience of the orthopaedic clinic has been so negative and will forward your comments to the department.

We would always aim to provide a high standard of care but if you feel we've failed in that you have taken the right route in contacting our PALS/Complaints team who will be able to investigate the circumstances fully.

Patient Experience Team.

Gill gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urology Team & Associated Staff

I visited University Hospital Lewisham on August 19th, 2017 (PM) for a bladder operation.
I was delighted with the way all staff treated me, ie polite/courtesy and helpful.
Prior to my above-mentioned visit, I attended the Pre-Assessment clinic at this hospital and was extremely happy with the nurse that completed the outcome of the assessment. I just wished there were more people like them not just the NHS but society on the whole. I give the nurse an A++ rating.
The day of the operation, everyone involved with my care, right from point of introducing myself at the reception desk and up to being discharged, very pleased with all staff.
A special mention to the anaesthetic team, the surgeons and the aftercare teams, 10/10. I told one of the after care nurses that were looking after me that I felt cold and they got me a third blanket and then a colleague asked me again a few minutes later if I was warmer. As I was still feeling chilly (air conditioning used in after care to help keep germs at bay) this nurse got this warm/airflow type blanket and it did the business. IMO they, like some other staff went the extra mile.
Thank you all for your help with my day stay at University Hospital Lewisham.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 August 2017

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 14 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, it’s always much appreciated.

We aim to provide a high standard of care and it’s good to see that your experiences of our services support that. We will make sure your comments reach the relevant staff.

Patient Experience Team