University Hospital Lewisham

Telephone: 020 8333 3000
Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Fabiana Borelli gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 2 stars

postponing my c section another traumatic experience

Today I am 39 weeks pregnant and after a previous horrible experience,the hospital decided to book an elective Csection for 6/4./15 when I was 30 weeks pregnant. When I was 37 weeks pregnant the hospital realised that 6/4 was bank-holiday and the hospital decided to anticipate my c section for 02/04.
Because it was a bit too early i had to take 2 doses of steroids and manage things at home to accommodate the new date.Without counting my extra costs.
I was here 7am on 2/4 and they left me for hours seating on a metal bench with my dislocated pelvic bones. Afternoon I went to maternity ward and at the after fasting almost 24 hours they cancelled my c section.
The hospital said that some emergency came up and they kept postponing my turn.
Today after 3 days fasting and waiting for my turn.
Hospital decides to postpone it for 7/4 because is easter holidays and they are in recession.I have been cooperating with them all the time but today I feel that the hospital is breeching a few birth laws as the have a free theatre which they decided to close and leave me in bed till 07/04.
I feel that my human rights are being away violated ,
I have no option but to wait.
I would like to have your support to fight against their cold money wise decision.
It is horrible to be in this vulnerable side.
What shall i do???

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 04 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 April 2015

I am truly sorry to hear of your experience of maternity services at Lewisham hospital over the Easter period. I am, however, grateful that you have taken the time to write and share your experience with us and would like to offer assurance that a full investigation into the issues you have raised will take place and that I will write to you formally once the investigation has been completed.

Sue Chatterley
Deputy Head of Midwifery

Anonymous gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Dehumanised & humiliated within 48 hours

Admitted from A&E to Linden Ward potentially for emergency surgery, I was questioned by one doctor who wanted to know the circumstances of how I contacted hiv, (the relevance of this is still a mystery to me) and then examined by another consultant surgeon who, very loudly, declared at the nurses station just outside the bay I was in, "I do not want to have to look after that man!". This was after they had shouted all my medical details across the bay to all the other people on the ward. The concept of patient confidentiality clearly bypassed them entirely. The staff nurse on day duty had a voice that could laser through the thickest concrete walls. They were not interested in nursing so much as shouting instructions at other staff & patients. The stress, humiliation and degradation I suffered in that hospital was nothing short of appalling.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 10 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

CONSTANCE gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Thank You Lewisham Hospital.

In the last few months, my husband has had to visit A&E twice and was admitted twice and on both occasions received very good treatment by all staff - in the A&E department and in the ward.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 20 April 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Lewisham hospital should be ashamed of themselves!

I attended UCLH with suspected appendicitis on Monday 9th March. I was sent home to monitor my symptoms and if anything got worse then to go straight to the nearest accident and emergency department. Unfortunately, mine is Lewisham.I arrived feeling very panicky (I suffer with panic attacks) and feeling generally unwell. I was seen by the triage nurse whose name I have taken so I will be contacting PALS with regard to their conduct. They were by far the most rude, uncaring and uncompassionate nurse I have ever met. (I am a nurse whose worked for several years in the NHS so Ive met quite a few). The first thing I told them was that I was very panicky as I suffer with panic attacks, they ignored me- this obviously doesn't help anyone who is suffering with a panic attack. They then did my blood pressure which was sky high (naturally as I was panicking). They proceeded to put a thermometer in my mouth and then start asking me my problems. Unfortunately I couldn't speak as I had the monitor in my mouth, pure basic nursing skills would avoid this. Half way through the triage, a colleague came in to interrupt but to also "sort out breaks" incredibly rude and unprofessional. The nurse then asked me what my pain score was on a scale of 1-10, 10 being excruciating. I said 7. They typed it into the computer. They didn't sympathise, didn't offer any analgesia. Again, pure basic skills. They told me to sit out on the grey chairs and to 'calm down'. Telling someone who's nervous to calm down is the last thing you should say but I would have thought that was common sense. I didn't get told an approx waiting time.

Whilst on the grey chairs, a man came out of the urgent care centre and collapsed on the ground. The staff really embarrassed themselves with this. There was no compassion, no urgency. They just looked like they didn't care. And I do understand that this patient may have been a regular who does this quite frequently and wastes time but his behaviour in general was not normal and therefore more empathy and care should have been provided. I was ready to get up and leave then as I didn't want any of that staff coming near me. If they didn't care about a man collapsed on the ground then why would they care about me. I persevered though. I was finally called in by the triage nurse that saw me (I could have cried). They mumbled and grumbled all the way through to a room where I asked what I should do, they said "sit down". Their colleague then came in again to discuss breaks, again. I was treated like I wasn't even in the room. Honestly, I was just in absolute shock. Really, this was being sorted at half past midnight? And discussed in front of patients. They proceeded to discuss if they should take a 1hr or 1.5hr break. Finally I walked out of A&E as the nurse refused to only take bloods as I didn't want a cannulae. They said it would make more work for them. Shocked!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 April 2015

Thank you for your comments, we are very sorry that you have a negative experience of our service, we note that you submitted a formal complaint and we will investigate your concerns, you will receive a reply via this process. However please be assured that all concerns raised are taken very seriously and used to train and develop staff.

Sarah Carver, Matron ED
University Hospital Lewisham
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham

Premature delivery - Amazing baby are, terrible mother care

I delivered via emergency c-section at 31 weeks at Lewisham. My care up to and during the c-section was fantastic, and the NICU team looking after my baby are downright amazing.

As a post-op patient, however, my experience couldn't have been worse. First I was kept on the labour ward for an extra day due to a staff shortage. That in itself was fine but, when I queried when I'd move so that my little boy could visit, I was told I wasn't a priority as my baby wasn't with me. I was told someone from the special care unit would come to see me about care, expressing milk etc. but they never arrived. Eventually a trainee midwife kindly showed me what to do, but the NICU team then told me off for sending milk in the wrong syringe and that it was useless.

I am lying here now on post-natal feeling completely alone. I'm with other mothers who all have their babies with them and who are being fussed over by the midwives, whilst I'm asked to remind them about my medication schedule because they'll 'probably forget'. I'm feeling pretty low having had a premature baby - and may be more sensitive than usual - but right now I'd do anything to get out of here.

I guess the main thing is I know my baby's in good hands.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 10 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 March 2015

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim, at Lewisham Hospital, is to provide every woman with sensitive, compassionate care. Please accept our sincere apologies that you did not receive the level of care that we would have expected.

The feedback you have provided is essential in shaping the way we provide care within our maternity department and has been shared with all the staff on the postnatal ward.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me on; helenmurphy4@nhs.net
Helen Murphy, Midwifery Inpatient Matron

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

A&E

We had reason to use A&E early, 2 am , last Saturday morning , my husband was seen very quickly . What was particularly striking, however, especially on a Friday night was the cleanliness of the department which couldn't have been better

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 13 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 March 2015

Thank you for your positive feedback following your husband's recent visit to our Emergency Department. I hope your husband is recovering and I really appreciate your comments, which will be shared with the team.
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Rachel Nicholls reviewed Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham

Planned replacement Knee surgery

Pre- op visit went very well, staff friendly and gave good information that was clear and concise. vitimin drinks and sterile wash provided and bloods taken.
Surgery date 17.3.15 was cancelled the day before due to the anaesthetist not being available, second date given for two and a half weeks time.
Discussed my dilemma witha neighbour who was due to have his replacement knee in January and it has been cancelled twice? What is going on in theatre land at Lewsham Hospital?????????

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 17 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 March 2015

On behalf of the Trust I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of care you received. Your feedback will be passed on to the staff concerned. Theatre and Anaesthetic staff work exceptionally hard to minimise the number of cancelled procedures at Lewisham Hospital and we are sorry that the procedure you allude to could not go ahead.

We cannot comment specifically on your neighbour's experience but would encourage them to contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Laision Service) team in the event that they have any queries about their care. PALS can be contacted on 0208 337 3355
David Snell, Service Manager Theatres

Happy mum gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

We had a day stay at the children's day unit as my little one had gromits inserted well what can I say amazing amazing care fantastic staff from everyone involved in our daughters care, I would highly recommend this hosiptal x

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 21 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your daughter's recent visit to the Childrens Day Care Unit for her surgery. I am very pleased that it was a positive experience for both your daughter and yourself. Please be assured that your comments will be fed back to the Day Care Team.
Lynne Mould, Clinical Nurse Manager

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent Care Center

Having had to attend the Urgent Care Centre on two occasions, the first on Friday 13th
February 2015 at 11.55pm, with my wife who had had a fall and badly cut her head and again on Monday 23rd February for myself after a fall and suffering Shoulder Separation
On both occasions the treatment and care from all the staff, from reception to treatment from the Doctor was first class and delivered in a very kind and compassionate manner,
particualarly on the Friday night when the demand on the service had to be seen to be believed and the treatment of the staff in many cases, was very poor. It says much for the proficiency and dedication of the staff to handle things so well.
They are a credit to Lewisham Hospital and our grateful thanks go to all of them.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 February 2015

Thank you very much for posting your feedback on the NHS Choices website. It is always greatly appreciated when patients and\or their relatives take the time to tell us about their experiences of our services and I am very pleased that both you and your wife had such positive experiences. I will ensure that your kind words are shared with the staff in our Urgent Care Centre.
Sarah Carver, Emergency Department Matron University Hospital Lewisham

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Children Emergency

I want to the Hospital on 24 February 2015 at 2000 hrs to show my son's eye and allergy on face. I waited more than three and half hours for the doctor to see my son. After three hours I asked the staff and she informed me there are three kids are awaiting ahead of my son while one hour before it was only 4 kids that are waiting ahead of my son.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 February 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 04 March 2015

Thank you for finding the time to highlight your concern re the length of time your child waited to be seen in the Emergency Department. As the Matron of the department may I apologise for this delay. Unfortunately, during your wait we had several very unwell children who required a lot of attention by the medical staff and, hence, this impacted on a prolonged wait in the department.

I apologise for any distress this caused and hope your child is feeing much better now. The department does strive to see children as quickly as possible but, unfortunately, evenings are particularly busy with a large number of children presenting unwell.

Robert Cole, Matron Children's Services