University Hospital Lewisham

Address: Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
Website: http://www.lewishamandgreenwich.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham

Premature delivery - Amazing baby are, terrible mother care

I delivered via emergency c-section at 31 weeks at Lewisham. My care up to and during the c-section was fantastic, and the NICU team looking after my baby are downright amazing.

As a post-op patient, however, my experience couldn't have been worse. First I was kept on the labour ward for an extra day due to a staff shortage. That in itself was fine but, when I queried when I'd move so that my little boy could visit, I was told I wasn't a priority as my baby wasn't with me. I was told someone from the special care unit would come to see me about care, expressing milk etc. but they never arrived. Eventually a trainee midwife kindly showed me what to do, but the NICU team then told me off for sending milk in the wrong syringe and that it was useless.

I am lying here now on post-natal feeling completely alone. I'm with other mothers who all have their babies with them and who are being fussed over by the midwives, whilst I'm asked to remind them about my medication schedule because they'll 'probably forget'. I'm feeling pretty low having had a premature baby - and may be more sensitive than usual - but right now I'd do anything to get out of here.

I guess the main thing is I know my baby's in good hands.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 10 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 March 2015

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim, at Lewisham Hospital, is to provide every woman with sensitive, compassionate care. Please accept our sincere apologies that you did not receive the level of care that we would have expected.

The feedback you have provided is essential in shaping the way we provide care within our maternity department and has been shared with all the staff on the postnatal ward.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me on; helenmurphy4@nhs.net
Helen Murphy, Midwifery Inpatient Matron

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

A&E

We had reason to use A&E early, 2 am , last Saturday morning , my husband was seen very quickly . What was particularly striking, however, especially on a Friday night was the cleanliness of the department which couldn't have been better

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 13 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 16 March 2015

Thank you for your positive feedback following your husband's recent visit to our Emergency Department. I hope your husband is recovering and I really appreciate your comments, which will be shared with the team.

Rachel Nicholls reviewed Orthopaedics at University Hospital Lewisham

Planned replacement Knee surgery

Pre- op visit went very well, staff friendly and gave good information that was clear and concise. vitimin drinks and sterile wash provided and bloods taken.
Surgery date 17.3.15 was cancelled the day before due to the anaesthetist not being available, second date given for two and a half weeks time.
Discussed my dilemma witha neighbour who was due to have his replacement knee in January and it has been cancelled twice? What is going on in theatre land at Lewsham Hospital?????????

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 17 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 March 2015

On behalf of the Trust I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of care you received. Your feedback will be passed on to the staff concerned. Theatre and Anaesthetic staff work exceptionally hard to minimise the number of cancelled procedures at Lewisham Hospital and we are sorry that the procedure you allude to could not go ahead.

We cannot comment specifically on your neighbour's experience but would encourage them to contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Laision Service) team in the event that they have any queries about their care. PALS can be contacted on 0208 337 3355
David Snell, Service Manager Theatres

Happy mum gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

We had a day stay at the children's day unit as my little one had gromits inserted well what can I say amazing amazing care fantastic staff from everyone involved in our daughters care, I would highly recommend this hosiptal x

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 21 March 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your daughter's recent visit to the Childrens Day Care Unit for her surgery. I am very pleased that it was a positive experience for both your daughter and yourself. Please be assured that your comments will be fed back to the Day Care Team.
Lynne Mould, Clinical Nurse Manager

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent Care Center

Having had to attend the Urgent Care Centre on two occasions, the first on Friday 13th
February 2015 at 11.55pm, with my wife who had had a fall and badly cut her head and again on Monday 23rd February for myself after a fall and suffering Shoulder Separation
On both occasions the treatment and care from all the staff, from reception to treatment from the Doctor was first class and delivered in a very kind and compassionate manner,
particualarly on the Friday night when the demand on the service had to be seen to be believed and the treatment of the staff in many cases, was very poor. It says much for the proficiency and dedication of the staff to handle things so well.
They are a credit to Lewisham Hospital and our grateful thanks go to all of them.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 24 February 2015

Thank you very much for posting your feedback on the NHS Choices website. It is always greatly appreciated when patients and\or their relatives take the time to tell us about their experiences of our services and I am very pleased that both you and your wife had such positive experiences. I will ensure that your kind words are shared with the staff in our Urgent Care Centre.
Sarah Carver, Emergency Department Matron University Hospital Lewisham

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Children Emergency

I want to the Hospital on 24 February 2015 at 2000 hrs to show my son's eye and allergy on face. I waited more than three and half hours for the doctor to see my son. After three hours I asked the staff and she informed me there are three kids are awaiting ahead of my son while one hour before it was only 4 kids that are waiting ahead of my son.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 February 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 04 March 2015

Thank you for finding the time to highlight your concern re the length of time your child waited to be seen in the Emergency Department. As the Matron of the department may I apologise for this delay. Unfortunately, during your wait we had several very unwell children who required a lot of attention by the medical staff and, hence, this impacted on a prolonged wait in the department.

I apologise for any distress this caused and hope your child is feeing much better now. The department does strive to see children as quickly as possible but, unfortunately, evenings are particularly busy with a large number of children presenting unwell.

Robert Cole, Matron Children's Services

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Hospital Visit 3rd Jan 2015

I went to a & e department as I felt like my heart beat was not normal since starting treatment for an under active thyroid and after waiting around 3 hours to see a doctor, I was eventually seen by a lady doctor who I tried to explain how I am feeling to and she kept talking over me and gave me some very incorrect information. She tried telling me that an under active thyroid would not cause depression or anxiety or even depersonalization which is why I went there in the first place because the depersonalization feels like it is getting worse and I am getting desperate. It is a known fact that thyroid issues can cause all of the above symptoms but she told me they are not???? What kind of doctor is she????

I also printed out a copy of one my blood tests to show her that although the thyroid stimulating level is returning back to normal, the antibodies are very high and she told me not to worry about that when I have already been told that I have to have a scan to see why it is so high???? She was rude and arrogant from the start.

Another complaint is about the home treatment team of which I am an out patient of, my Doctor is a great doctor who I am due to see again on the 7th Jan but I was running out of some medications so I called and spoke to a member of staff on Friday 2nd Jan and she said a Doctor would call me back and do you know how many times that has happened to me??? The doctor I saw today would not give me any tablets and said I had to see the original doctor or my GP??? Okay so lets try that shall we, the original doctor is on holiday and GP is not open on a weekend???? Great advice from a completely useless nurse.

I actually saw people walking out of this hospital because of the wait times and because they was not satisfied with the treatment they was getting!!!! Lewisham hospital is a terrible hospital who fabricate their figures to make it look like people actually enjoy their service.

I will never go back there unless I have to have the scan on my thyroid there but other than that, I would recommend this hospital to anyone and believe me I am not basing this review on just one visit.

I have been told that I have to have an urgent scan on my thyroid as it is causing me to not want to be here any more although I will most likely have to wait months just for that as the NHS is so useless.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 03 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 12 January 2015

I am extremely sorry that you found the service you received, when you attended the Emergency Department of University Hospital Lewisham, not of the standard you expected. I am sorry that you felt the doctor talked over you and did not listen properly to your concerns. It is unacceptable that you found her rude and arrogant, this is certainly not what I would expect within my department.

If you would like to discuss concerns pertaining to your Emergency Department visit in more detail please contact me direct at annmarie.coiley@nhs.net.

If you would like the concerns you raised regarding the home treatment team to be looked into please contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) team, who will be able to talk to you about the issues you have raised and advise how this can be taken forward. The PALS team can be contacted on 0208 337 3355.

Thank you for feeding back your experiences.
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Emmanuelle gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

Very poor assistance

I have been to the A&E this week end because my baby has been trouble feeding for the last 4 weeks crying and refusing to feed when I was offering the bottle. She is 4 months and 2 weeks. Last week things got worse when she refused almost every bottle. This week end she hardly drunk 300ml on Saturday and 100ml on Sunday. That's when we got very worried and went to the A&E. First I have to say I have seen GPs and health visitors none of them taking the problem seriously.
When we arrived to the A&E they took her weight - she has lost a bit this week, temperature and several urine samples. We were told temperature was fine and that she had no infections. However because she had been on poor feeding they decided to keep her overnight and put her on tube feeding to see how she goes.
We have been sent to the Paediatrics department. After a night tube feeding (she refused to take any bottle that night), the doctors decided to take the tube out and see how she goes with the bottle only. She hardly took 370ml in 24 hours whereas a baby of 4 months old should be taken between 600 and 800ml depending on her weight. I don't invent anything it is from the NHS guidelines. Anyway in the meantime no further investigation was done, no blood tests, no Ph gastric acidity was done (in case the cause would be severe reflux, no scan (in case she might have a malformation somewhere), no further urine samples and they did not weight her two days later when we went back home.
She was still crying when feeding and doctors told us she has reflux although she is not vomiting. She has been indeed diagnosed with reflux over two months ago and treated for that with medication during a month. Things got a bit better but went back to the same situation a couple of weeks ago.
The following morning she took three bottles in an okay way. still crying but she took it. Based on these three bottles, doctors decided then to discharge us! We shouted saying she was still struggling to feed, crying ect but none of them would listen to us. Each time I was speaking with a doctor he would send then another one to avoid talking to me. They claimed they helped because they gave medication for reflux. I am convinced she has something else but no one would listen to what I had to say. One of them even stopped me while I was speaking taking no care of me.
Best part is while we were leaving we received a call from our GP saying the urine sample shows signs of infection!!
I am extremely angry. Several points I have to make about this experience:
- No follow up. We saw 5 doctors in one day... not really helpful to have a clear view on what's going on
- No willingness to investigate further with no tests made that we are aware of.
- No professional assistance: no willingness to listen to the parents
- Constant change of decision: put the feeding tube then take it out... reflux/no reflux

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 10 February 2015

I am truly very sorry to hear that your visit to University Hospital Lewisham Children's Emergency Department was below the level of care you would hope to receive. This is not typical of our department. I am extremely sorry that you felt that the medical staff did not take the time to listen to your concerns, on more than one occasion. This is against our values of excellent communication and compassionate care and we will endeavour to ensure that this does not happen again.

We are very grateful for feedback, especially when parents are not happy with our service. It gives us the opportunity to review, with staff, the principles of care that we provide, to ensure they are consistent with a caring and compassionate nature and to encourage good communication by our staff.

If you would like your concerns to be looked into please contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) team who will be able to talk to you about the issues you have raised and advise how these can be taken forward. The PALS team can be contacted on 0208 337 3355.
Robert cole, Matron Children's Services University Hospital Lewisham

Anonymous gave at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Urgent care visit Jan 2015

After feeling unwell late in the evening I was told by SELDOC to visit A&E to have a few tests. I went to Lewisham Hospital's urgent care department. After being seen quickly by the Triage nurse I had to wait some time to see a doctor, but I was very impressed by the care I received. Once the test results came back the doctor spent a lot of time talking to me and helping me understand what the problem was. I think we are incredibly lucky to have this NHS service and such caring and dedicated staff. Thanks!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 30 January 2015

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 04 February 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your recent visit to our Emergency Department. It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure that your comments are disseminated to the entire team.
Ann-Marie Coiley, Senior Matron Emergency Pathways

Maggie Howard gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

No 4 hour waiting time!!!!

I came to Lewisham hospital on Wednesday 29th January for a sprained ankle. I arrived at 18.50, waited approximately 3 minutes at reception to check in. The reception staff were polite, friendly and professional. I was asked to sit on the red seats and wait to be seen. After about 8 minutes, I was called by a nurse. She too was very friendly and professional. She listened carefully whilst I told her how I sprained my ankle. She examined my ankle and sent me for an X ray. She also offered me some pain killers. I went to the X ray department and waited 5 minutes before I was seen. I went back to waiting area and was called in by the nurse again. She informed me that there was no fracture, and showed me the xray. She told me to elevate my foot when I got home and take painkillers when needed. I was left the hospital at 19.25!!! Wonderful and excellent service!!!!! Nurse was really good, she was genuinely interested in what I had to say, and did not try to rush the examination.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 31 January 2015