University Hospital Lewisham

020 8333 3000 Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

midwifes lack empathy and compassion

I would never recommend any women to have her baby in this hospital. The majority of the midwifes do not possess good communication skills, an lack empathy or compassion. The staff are uncaring and abrupt, and fail to provide holistic care to patients and families. Also very worrying is the fact that a member of my family was allowed to enter the maternity ward, without being challenged by any member of staff, as to why she was there, therefore walked freely down the ward amongst the new mothers and new born babies, until she realised she was in the wrong area, and promptly exited, clearly indicating a lack of security in this area.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Exemplary care in Children's A&E and Paediatrics

Our daughter was admitted via A&E due to an injury she sustained, the wait in A&E was long but the care she received was second to none and all the staff she encountered - porters, food service staff, nurses, radiologists and doctors, were professional and incredibly kind.

I feel very lucky to have this service on my doorstep - thank you!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 29 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham replied on 03 February 2016

Thank you for your kind words and I am pleased to hear that the quality of the care given to your child by all staff was of the highest standard, which we try to ensure at all times. I hope she is feeling better now.

Best wishes

Robert

Matron (Children’s Services)

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

No respect from some staff

I came into A&E for a mental health related issue. I asked if there was a separate room that i could sit in as i was on the verge of having a panic attack and they said no, so i went & stood in a corner and my panic attack got worse & i couldn't breath. No one helped me apart from 2 patients who came over to check on me. After a while I asked to be taken off the waiting list as it was making me worse & they couldn't let me go, so a nice member of staff came to talk to me (i wish i caught their name). I then saw a nurse as I was in hysterics & the nurse was very rude to me, and said 'You know there are lots of people waiting to be seen before you, but you wanted to be seen first'. I corrected the nurse and said i didn't want to be seen first, i said i wanted to be taken off the waiting list so i could go home. The nurse then proceeded to ask me questions about why i was there in A&E/why i took too many tablets in a very horrible tone of voice, it felt like an interrogation, i felt so uncomfortable....it made me feel like i was stupid coming to A&E and that I was wasting everyone's time. So this actually made me feel 10x worse, especially as i was there for mental health related issues (and an overdose as well). The funny thing is, that as soon as my husband turned up, the tone of the nurses voice changed and the nurse was much nicer. I wish i saw their name badge as i would have liked to have put down a complaint about the nurse. The doctor and the psychiatric team I saw though were lovely! It's just a shame not all staff can be more sensitive about a patients emotions. The nurses words could have really sent someone more over the edge than they already are.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 05 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Urgent Care Centre

Went on a Sunday night feeling rubbish. Seen by the triage nurse within 30 minutes who was friendly, informative, listened to me and answered my questions. The nurse contacted an ENT doctor who gave advice too. Experiences like this are never pleasant but the nurse made it bearable and made me feel valued.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Dan gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Infected Sabaceous Cyst

Had to visit the Accident and Emergency at Lewisham hospital this afternoon, I was seen very quickly as my cyst was very infected, all the staff were friendly and professional and kept me abrest of what was going on. Options were given and procedures explained to me, having the cyst drained hurt quite a bit, but thats what you get for wishful thinking that the infection will just go away by itself. Thank you all for your care and understanding.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Zena ogle gave General Surgery at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 1 stars

disgusting Care Riverside treatment Centre (out patients)

My uncle was admitted at 730 am for day surgery due to complications with another patient the surgery was delayed for a few hours was told to come an pick him up at 8 pm by reception after sitting there for many hours at 6 pm I received a phone call to collect him before I could get there they had let him go alone he is a dementia patient an has no idea what he is actually doing we had to get police to find him as he went missing it wad frezzing cold he had no discharge papers or after care information we was told by a member of staff he asked to go for a smoke they let him go with out escorted an even said they had a feeling he wasn't coming back they was told on day he had dementia an i reassured they would take care of him unfortunately this was not the case I'm disgusted an angery as this is twice now in past 6 month they have not listen to us an have let my uncle go without anyone with him twice he has gone missing from hospital no security in hospital at all apart from a very tall man who just walks round all day mainly in car park when you talk to the staff after the event they are very rude an quick to blame the family an the patient for any problems caused an experienced not even n apology

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 4 stars

Main reception

I came for an appointment and I was very disappointed with the member of staff working on the 20.01.2016 at the main reception. I stood there for some time, then they dealt with me with very unprofessional way. I felt very uncomfortable and I would appreciate if they would be more helpful.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Barry Sayers gave Cardiology at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Rehabilitation Service - brilliant!

This is an extraordinarily good and underpublicised service for those of us who have survived cardiac 'events'.

I attended 7 weekly sessions (lasting from 9am to about 2pm) which were each divided into four main areas:

A personal appraisal of your individual medical condition;
A personally tailored exercise routine;
A relaxation session; and
An education session

Commencing exercise after recovering from a heart problem can be daunting, but at all times it was clear that the staff involved (I know from other hospital reviews that I have left that it's not allowed to mention individuals' names) had our physical safety at the top of their lists which was of great comfort; it's difficult to strike a balance between encouraging activity again while not frightening the hell out of you, but the staff managed it wonderfully well. And to encourage us to continue exercise in between sessions (and to instil a bit of discipline for the future, we were offered home exercise routines - but on a purely voluntary basis).

I personally found the afternoon education sessions the most valuable; we discussed various topics like diet, exercise, medication, risk factors, devices (e.g. pacemakers) when we should ring 999 (and when we shouldn't!) and - as far as possible - why we had succumbed to our various ailments.

I think I was lucky in that the groups (of between about 4 - 8 former patients, depending on what week it was) that I was part of were populated by very different types of people, who all had a different heart problem perspective to bring to the party. And the presentation skills of the cardiac nurse specialists leading the education chats were remarkable; not something you normally associate with the medical profession.

And finally there is the opportunity to participate in further (and properly organised) exercise classes once these sessions are over.

A quite excellent service which - if we follow the advice given - should keep us out of hospital again for the foreseeable future.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 21 December 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Ricardodlm gave Paediatrics services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric ward and A&E

This is a gold standard service. The nurses are completely wonderful to children and families. It is a warm environment where the views of me and wife were sought and always valued - we were made to feel the experts in the care of our child.
A&E depts are usually thought of as chaotic and where people are neglected. Our experience of Lewisham is the opposite; we have felt looked after and safe here.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 29 December 2015

University Hospital Lewisham has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Lewisham a rating of 5 stars

On 21 December my 80 year old father was admitted to Lewisham Hospital via UCC and A&E. As it turned out he had a 90% blocked carotid artery and underwent emergency vascular surgery at St Thomas on 23 December.
We were triaged by a nurse who was fabulous and who walked us round to the A&E section where we waited to be seen. Although we waited quite a time I would like to pay tribute to the fantastic staff in the A&E dept. The staff member who was removing waste from the bins immediately said hello, the nurse who put a cannula in could not have been more gentle of more respectful, the nurse who took my father to the toilet provided just the right amount of humour and respect. Although we knew the situation was serious we took the clinical care he received for granted - only with hindsight are we able to appreciate what was done for him and extend our thanks to the staff. Whilst we were going through it, it was the kindness and respect offered by staff at all levels that helped us through. I wish I could remember the names of individual staff but please know that your attitude made such a difference to our experience. With grateful thanks.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 29 December 2015