St George's Hospital (London)

0208 672 1255 Blackshaw Road , London, Greater London, SW17 0QT

427 total | 2 found tagged with Accommodation Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Neurology at St George's Hospital (London) a rating of 5 stars

Our recent experience following admittance to Neurology

I am not one for writing reviews but felt strongly that it was important to provide this review and to offer some background and perhaps some insight and support to others who may find themselves in a similar position to us.

My wife has suffered for some time with CFS/ME and a little over 2 years ago following an MRI a Meningioma was found that measured 14mm the condition dictated that it should me monitored and two more scans were conducted with no change and then after 6 months another scan was taken and the tumour measured 17mm so very little change and the next scan was scheduled for 12 months. For various reasons the scan was delayed and at around 16 months my wife had a seizure and was rushed into our local hospital St Peters in Chertsey, where they conducted a CT scan and found the tumour had increased in size to 44mm which caused symptoms similar to a stroke and caused some paralysis to one side of her body. They stabilised her condition administering steroids to minimise pressure on the brain and arranged for her to be transferred to St Georges, Atkinson Morley (neurology) in Tooting.

The Consultants and all the staff in Brodie ward did their very best to accommodate us and after 2 days performed surgery on my wife. The procedure lasted approximately 2 - 3 hours and we were informed that all went well and the procedure went according to plan. After staying in recovery for some hours she was transferred to ITU and stayed there for 2 days and was provided with superb care throughout. I cannot speak highly enough of the Doctors and Nurses in Neurology ITU the attention and care they provide was fantastic and I will forever be grateful to them all. Following her spell in ITU she was transferred back to Brodie ward where again she was given the very best of care. For us this was a near-death experience for my wife and there were times when I thought she wouldn't make it through this episode. The whole team's dedication to saving life and giving hope where at times there is despair is commendable and will never be forgotten. It would be remiss if I did not single out a couple of nurses who where utterly devoted to their craft they were so caring and a credit to St Georges Hospital.

I think the facilities and the physical set-up of the neurosurgery department is second to none and the Surgeons and the Operating Theatre Staff were amazing. I truly felt that the level of care and kindness was very special. I wanted so much to write and express my thanks. You often see negative reports appear in the media about the NHS and some are probably justified, but I have nothing but the highest praise and heartfelt thanks for the standard of care provided by St Georges NHS trust. I believe very strongly that the NHS is the jewel in our country's crown and it is the Surgeons, Doctors, Nurses and support staff that make this so.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 04 August 2014

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 08 August 2014

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at St George’s Hospital. Your comments about how the staff cared for your wife during her stay, will be passed onto the management of the service. They in turn will inform the staff in the areas mentioned of your appreciation. We are very pleased to read that you found the level of care and kindness very special, even amazing. Please wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Alison gave Neurology at St George's Hospital (London) a rating of 3 stars

Neurophysio and hydrotherapy

Had a course with neurophysio, in gym and hydrotherapy pool, for MS. It's a boring condition: you're not going to get better - just aim to slow down your rate of decline! The physio was encouraging, clear, and quickly understood what my problems were (everyone with MS is different). I had five or six sessions in the gym and then in the pool, and left with an exercise programme for home and the pool. Like many people with MS, my symptoms are worse in hot weather, hot rooms etc. The hydrotherapy pool is much warmer than a swimming pool, but I decided to try it once in case it was useful. As it turned out, it was great - didn't worsen spasticity, did relax muscles so I could stretch more, and the water supports some of your weight so things are generally easier to manage. One problem was that for my first session the changing room was uncomfortably hot (staff were drying it out, I think, with a fan heater) and I lay on the floor to get cooler. For the rest of the sessions, the changing room was fine. Staff available to help with changing, transfer etc if needed; cheerful, friendly. Star rating: I've given 3 stars for the hospital (I'm recommending neurophysio treatment, not the whole hospital), and 3 stars for same-sex accommodation. The changing room and the pool are mixed (with curtained off cubicles for changing) - I don't mind at all, but others may. I don't know whether there are any women- or men-only sessions. I've given 5 stars for the rest - excellent facilities and treatment. It's possible to continue hydrotherapy (after being signed off), following the programme suggested by the physio, at a charge of around £6 a 30-minute session. I had some trouble getting through to the Private Patients Office to book my sessions (5 phone calls and an email ...) but when they eventually answered the phone they were pleasant and efficient. Overall, great.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 08 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience at St George’s Hospital. It is good to read that your experience of the hydrotherapy pool was great. Your comments will be sent to the manager of the service as we really try hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients.

If in future you have problems with a service and would like assistance with problems you are experiencing, please contact the PAL Service at pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk or on 020 8725 2453 where staff will see what they can do to help.