St George's Hospital (London)

Telephone: 0208 672 1255
Address: Blackshaw Road, London, Greater London, SW17 0QT
Website: http://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk

340 total | 7 found tagged with Accommodation Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Neurology at St George's Hospital (London) a rating of 5 stars

Our recent experience following admittance to Neurology

I am not one for writing reviews but felt strongly that it was important to provide this review and to offer some background and perhaps some insight and support to others who may find themselves in a similar position to us.

My wife has suffered for some time with CFS/ME and a little over 2 years ago following an MRI a Meningioma was found that measured 14mm the condition dictated that it should me monitored and two more scans were conducted with no change and then after 6 months another scan was taken and the tumour measured 17mm so very little change and the next scan was scheduled for 12 months. For various reasons the scan was delayed and at around 16 months my wife had a seizure and was rushed into our local hospital St Peters in Chertsey, where they conducted a CT scan and found the tumour had increased in size to 44mm which caused symptoms similar to a stroke and caused some paralysis to one side of her body. They stabilised her condition administering steroids to minimise pressure on the brain and arranged for her to be transferred to St Georges, Atkinson Morley (neurology) in Tooting.

The Consultants and all the staff in Brodie ward did their very best to accommodate us and after 2 days performed surgery on my wife. The procedure lasted approximately 2 - 3 hours and we were informed that all went well and the procedure went according to plan. After staying in recovery for some hours she was transferred to ITU and stayed there for 2 days and was provided with superb care throughout. I cannot speak highly enough of the Doctors and Nurses in Neurology ITU the attention and care they provide was fantastic and I will forever be grateful to them all. Following her spell in ITU she was transferred back to Brodie ward where again she was given the very best of care. For us this was a near-death experience for my wife and there were times when I thought she wouldn't make it through this episode. The whole team's dedication to saving life and giving hope where at times there is despair is commendable and will never be forgotten. It would be remiss if I did not single out a couple of nurses who where utterly devoted to their craft they were so caring and a credit to St Georges Hospital.

I think the facilities and the physical set-up of the neurosurgery department is second to none and the Surgeons and the Operating Theatre Staff were amazing. I truly felt that the level of care and kindness was very special. I wanted so much to write and express my thanks. You often see negative reports appear in the media about the NHS and some are probably justified, but I have nothing but the highest praise and heartfelt thanks for the standard of care provided by St Georges NHS trust. I believe very strongly that the NHS is the jewel in our country's crown and it is the Surgeons, Doctors, Nurses and support staff that make this so.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 04 August 2014

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 08 August 2014

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at St George’s Hospital. Your comments about how the staff cared for your wife during her stay, will be passed onto the management of the service. They in turn will inform the staff in the areas mentioned of your appreciation. We are very pleased to read that you found the level of care and kindness very special, even amazing. Please wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Alison gave Neurology at St George's Hospital (London) a rating of 3 stars

Neurophysio and hydrotherapy

Had a course with neurophysio, in gym and hydrotherapy pool, for MS. It's a boring condition: you're not going to get better - just aim to slow down your rate of decline! The physio was encouraging, clear, and quickly understood what my problems were (everyone with MS is different). I had five or six sessions in the gym and then in the pool, and left with an exercise programme for home and the pool. Like many people with MS, my symptoms are worse in hot weather, hot rooms etc. The hydrotherapy pool is much warmer than a swimming pool, but I decided to try it once in case it was useful. As it turned out, it was great - didn't worsen spasticity, did relax muscles so I could stretch more, and the water supports some of your weight so things are generally easier to manage. One problem was that for my first session the changing room was uncomfortably hot (staff were drying it out, I think, with a fan heater) and I lay on the floor to get cooler. For the rest of the sessions, the changing room was fine. Staff available to help with changing, transfer etc if needed; cheerful, friendly. Star rating: I've given 3 stars for the hospital (I'm recommending neurophysio treatment, not the whole hospital), and 3 stars for same-sex accommodation. The changing room and the pool are mixed (with curtained off cubicles for changing) - I don't mind at all, but others may. I don't know whether there are any women- or men-only sessions. I've given 5 stars for the rest - excellent facilities and treatment. It's possible to continue hydrotherapy (after being signed off), following the programme suggested by the physio, at a charge of around £6 a 30-minute session. I had some trouble getting through to the Private Patients Office to book my sessions (5 phone calls and an email ...) but when they eventually answered the phone they were pleasant and efficient. Overall, great.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 08 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience at St George’s Hospital. It is good to read that your experience of the hydrotherapy pool was great. Your comments will be sent to the manager of the service as we really try hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients.

If in future you have problems with a service and would like assistance with problems you are experiencing, please contact the PAL Service at pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk or on 020 8725 2453 where staff will see what they can do to help.

lookitsluke recommended at St George's Hospital (London)

professional and fun.

Hi Team,

I wanted to send through a note of thanks for a truly excellent experience.
Sadly I cannot recall the name of my Consultant, or the two medical students that assisted - but I hope that you can contact me to send a personal note of thanks to those involved.

The entire experience was fun - appropriate humour, clear communication about diagnosis and treatment, and a high level of professionalism. It was a great experience that left me wishing I had more cause to attend the hospital!

The entire process was not only timely, but accommodated the fact I arrived early.

In all, fantastic.

What could have been improved

It might have been nice to know in advance that there would be two students alongside for the consultation, however this was not an issue for me.

Any other comments

Please contact me if it possible to locate my appointment and those involved in the system so that a thank you can be extended directly.

Visited in May 2012. Posted on 11 May 2012

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post positive feedback about your recent experience at St George’s Hospital. Your kind comments will be passed on to the neurology team.

isobel_h recommended Obstetrics at St George's Hospital (London)

Excellent care provided by profesional, caring and friendly from start to finish

What I liked

I felt I needed to write a review after my recent experience of having my first baby at St Georges Hospital in Tooting. I have to say I cannot rate the staff highly enough. All the staff, midwives and consultants were amazing and really knew how to make me feel reassured and confident. Special thanks goes out to three particular staff on the Delivery Suite. From start to finish my experience and treatment at St Georges (antenatal and postnatal) was second to none. The staff are very friendly, reassuring and seemed to take a personal interest in mine and my baby's well being.

I cannot thank the hospital enough.

What could have been improved

The shower rooms could do with a refurb.

Any other comments

I would recommend any expecting mother to consider having their baby at this hospital.

Visited in February 2012. Posted on 06 March 2012

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 28 March 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post feedback about your recent experience at St George’s Hospital. Your kind comments will be sent onto the maternity team.

Matthew Jackson recommended St George's Hospital (London)

The staff were very friendly and helpful and always available 24hrs a day. The..

What I liked

The staff were very friendly and helpful and always available 24hrs a day. The rooms were quiet, clean and modern. A great experience and would recommend to anybody.

Visited in December 2009. Posted on 08 January 2010

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 15 January 2010

Dear Mr Jackson

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your experiences at St George's, we are always grateful to receive feedback. Although it is not possible for me to identify the area where you received care from your comments I am very pleased to learn that your experience was such a positive one.

With kind regards,

Patient Advice and Involvement Manager

CP recommended St George's Hospital (London)

I have visited the hospital in the maxilofacial unit and nuclear medicine areas

What I liked

I have visited the hospital in the maxilofacial unit and nuclear medicine areas in the last two weeks and have been hugely impressed by how much the staff are so accommodating and also by the cleanliness of the treatment areas

What could have been improved

For the public areas to be as clean as the treatment areas but understand that if visitors don't make an effort it can be a challenge to maintain

Visited in September 2009. Posted on 22 September 2009

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 29 September 2009

Dear CP

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your experiences at St George's. I will ensure that your kind comments about the maxillofacial and nuclear medicine departments are passed on to the staff who work there. I will also pass on your comments about cleanliness to the General Manager for Facilities.

With best wishes,

Patient Advice and Involvement Manager

Anonymous did not recommend St George's Hospital (London)

The delivery suite was clean and every-one there seemed professional. I felt in

What I liked

The delivery suite was clean and every-one there seemed professional. I felt in good hands.

What could have been improved

The post brith ward was awful. I had to stay there two nights during a long, long labour (80 hours between the first contractions and the birth) nd two other nights after the birth. The mid wives did not explain how to use the gas and air, forgot my internal examination and let me wait half of the night for it, were dismissive of the pain I was in for so long and let me stress over not understanding why I was just not dilating after so long. After the birth, they were obsessed with breastfeeding and did NOT respect MY choice to decide freely whether this was what I wanted (yes) or not, They were checking on the feeding every 30 minutes and never let me a minute to rest. They also denied me initially access to the toilet (I had to have assistance as I as "plugged") because they would not believe I needed to pass stools. They were not checking the visitors so I had people "hiding" with their partners in the common rooms and making noise, preventing me to rest from the long labour. The checking out took for ever (a full day!). Finally, there was no measure taken to accomodate my special diet as I have an allergy to gluten.

Any other comments

Although the delivery ward was good and the staff was good, they let me "wait" and push in vain for hours because, althought they knew "this is not going to happen", there was NO doctor available to have an assisted birth.After 3 days without sleep, they expected me to keep on waiting. It is just not normal to let a woman go through a 80 hours labour. My baby ended in distress, which is what FINALLY led doctors to proceed with an "emergency" c-section.
Finally in the post birth ward, it must be hard to keep toilets clean in a post birth ward but knowing that women bleed a lot, special effort should be done to clean the toilets regularly. the best advice I was givne was to take Detol wipes in my hospital bag to clean the shower and toilets. I used them.

Visited in May 2009. Posted on 15 February 2010

St George's Hospital (London) replied on 05 March 2010

Dear Madam

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your experience at St George's Hospital during the birth of your baby. I was pleased to learn that some aspects of your care were satisfactory but concerned to learn of your negative experiences.

Your comments have been forwarded to senior nursing staff and management for Maternity Services. If you would like a personal response to your concerns please contact the Complaints and Improvements Department (links below) with further details.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that any future contact that you might have with the Trust will be much more satisfactory in nature.

I hope that you are enjoying your first year with your baby.

Yours faithfully