West Cumberland Hospital

Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

Joe Human gave Cardiology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Experience of Outpatients

Yesterday (07.10.14) I had excellent service when I visited Outpatients for an echocardiogram, The two members of staff who administered the procedure could not have been more caring, and through this review I would like thank them for this. As I said when I left, this is the NHS at its best. Thank you.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 08 October 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 October 2014

Very many thanks for taking the time to contact us regarding this . It is good to hear that your experience was so positive, I will pass on your thanks to the team .
Best wishes

Katiekay gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day procedure on Skiddaw Ward

While all the staff I came into contact with were great, the day was not without its difficulties. Due to bed shortages they were running over 2 and half hours late. Patients were left in a small overcrowded day room while consultants came in and discussed their procedures. The staff were great but clearly fighting an up hill battle, the theatre staff nurse having to come down and esccort me to the theatre. The staff were great given the circumstances and I was happy with the treatment, just very annoyed on behalf of the staff. Wake up hospital administrators, give your staff a break and open up more beds.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed West Cumberland Hospital

hospital system

my father was in and out of hospital numerous times with high calcium caused by lung cancer during these times in and out of hospital he experienced a lot of things appointments being cancelled for biopsys that he needed urgently he had to advise the doctors how to treat him so he could go for a biopsy he missed to appointments through the calcium going up and was blamed by a nurse on overwater ward for missing the appointment though I was not his fault , while in he ask for a blanket , nobody brought him one he had to get out of bed to get one himself , there was a man in the opposite bed who had faulld himself after two days my dad ask when they where going to clean him up , he had a prisoner beside him with two prison guards he had to tell them to stop talking at 3oclock in the morning , he would ask the doctors a question they would never come back he needed an urgent bone biopsy carlise didn't have any needles to do it , he was referred on an ontolagist but couldn't see him for two weeks because he was on holiday and there was nobody else , by the time he come back off holiday he was to ill to have treatment he was admitted again with nemonia he had sleeped in a chair beside his bed for two nights the system failed my dad we where given so much hope from the doctors and consultants but at the end of the day they gave us false hope the system needs to change at the end of the day , and you have to fight for everything it defusing

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Alan barlow gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I rate this hospital 100 per cent

I had a knee replacement from surgeons to nursing staff and meals I could not fault them thank you for a 5star treatment Yours truly Alan Barlow Workington

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 03 September 2014

Dear Mr Barlow,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this message about your recent knee surgery at West Cumberland Hospital.
I am delighted that you found the care to be of such a high standard and will ensure that the team is made aware of your positive feedback .
I'm sure that they would want to join me in sending their regards and good wishes for your on going recovery and rehabilitation.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic 5 star treatment.

Was admitted into the hospital at the end of August to undergo a knee replacement operation. Treatment from nurses/surgeons/hospital staff in general was absolutely excellent. The meals/hygiene were first class and nothing was too much trouble. I would fully recommend this hospital for anyone considering their orthopaedic surgery. Come on folks, support your local hospital. Alf, West Cumbria.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 07 September 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 15 September 2014

Dear Alf
Thank you so much for this positive message . I am so pleased to hear that yor treatment at West Cumberland Hospital was so satisfactory.
Very best wishes for your recovery and rehabilitation .
With kind regards
Patient Experience

Keith Gibson reviewed Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital

Unplanned Admission

I went to WCH at about 2015 on Thursday 10/7/2014 with severe chest pains, admitted to A&E, and cared for faultlessly. Ongoing heart attack was diagnosed, and I was transferred to Carlisle by ambulance and had a stent fitted and was on the recovery ward before midnight!
Absolutely first class, and fantastic co-operation between WCH, ambulance service and Cumberland Infirmiary.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 22 July 2014

Dear Mr Gibson
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent care at our West Cumberland and Carlisle Hospitals . I am delighted that you found the care to be so well coordinated , and satsfactory, it must have been a worrying time for you.
I am sure that the teams would want to join me in sending good wishes for your on going recovery
Regards
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Great care, so sad that the hospital was very very dirty.

Fantastic care all round, couldn't fault the staff in any way! But.. A dirty tissue in the corner of the lift was still there 24 hours later. The floor of the Patterdale ward near the bed was dirty with thick dust and bits under the bed. Wondered if the cleaners where on strike??

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 22 July 2014

Than you for contacting us regarding your recent experience in Emergency care at West Cumberland Hospital, I am pleased to hear that you found the care to be of such a high standard.
I am sorry to hear your comments regarding cleanliness on the day of your visit; this is not our usual standard. Thank you for drawing it to our attention, I will ensure that this is addressed.
With best wishes for your on going recovery
Regards

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology Department

The nurse's in this department are fantastic, very professional but approachable, can not fault them at all. The rheumatoid nurse specialist nurses kept me in touch with my treatment, which was more than my own GP did. They work in an old hospital which is sadly being neglected.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us about your recent experience of our rheumatology service at West Cumberland Hospital, I will pass on your comments to the team who will, I am sure be delighted to know that their care was so well received. The teams strive to deliver the best possible care at all times, so it is great to have this feedback.
All staff within the Trust are looking forward to the opening of our new hospital in 2015, which is currently under construction on the existing hospital site. There is much activity “behind the scenes” in preparation for this, and we are keenly anticipating the new state of the art facilities which will be included in our new clinical areas. As you can imagine, this has involved significant investment for the Trust , and we have tried to strike an appropriate balance of maintaining the existing building while developing the new. We are confident that the new premises will offer a much improved environment for patients and staff alike. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!
With best regards

Debra gave Ophthalmology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Outpatient private appointment- eye clonic

I was referred by my optician - all staff other than consultant I saw were fine . Consultant who did not even introduce himself spent several minutes looking at my notes - then quick examination and I was basically told what I could only say was a total dismissive manner 'nothing wrong with your eyes' take this to reception .. I tried then to ask if I could ask a question as my optician thinks I could have macular degenerative decease - I however did not get this far as although he said I could ask a question irregardless of whether I was private or Nhs the manner in which he spoke told me he really could not be bothered . I then was told that I should actually change my optician - I have total faith in my optician so basically said this and the consultant then relooked at who had referred me and still advised I change my optician. My optician also tried then to follow up and I believe got the same treatment only worse than me. What amazed me was the true lack of respect for the patient and also for members of his own profession. I believe the scan actually did show drusens - so now will have another opticians appointment and then if necessary another referral at own cost - truly unsatisfactory .
I appreciate the stress of consultants however what sometimes they may not also realise is that others in other professions also may experience stress- I work each week out if the country and to take a day put as I own my own company can in itself cost me a lot of money and catch up time - I now may have to go through this again ......and also experience morworry ...

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Dear Debra
I am sorry to hear of this recent experience at West Cumberland Hospital. I think I am right in understanding that this was a private appointment with a consultant , rather than in our core clinical service provided by North Cumbria University Hospitals?
In order that we can more fully understand the circumstances we would welcome you with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team at the West Cumberland Hospital to explain your experience in more detail. You can reach the PALS team on 01946 523818
I hope that this will enable some resolution to your concerns. In the meantime I will draw your issues to the attention of relevant colleagues.
With best wishes
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A&E reception would embarrass a Third World hospital

Arriving at A&E with a child screaming out in pain, the two people idly chatting behind the glass screens of reception ignored us entirely, and the obvious distress of our child. He could have been dying for all they knew, or cared. They ignored us for a total of 10 minutes before a receptionist could be bothered to speak to us.

Perhaps they were on a break. Perhaps they worked in another department and were just there for a chat, but they demonstrated a serious lack of humanity that has no place in a hospital.

Once checked-in, we felt that the triage nurse and the doctor we eventually saw, acted with skill and compassion, but we found the experience in reception to be quite shocking. No doubt A&E reception have to put up with all kinds of troubled people and difficult situations, but no amount of that justifies ignoring genuine human suffering while having a chat.

I am absolutely disgusted by our treatment at West Cumberland.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 27 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Thank you for contacting us about this recent experience at A&E reception at West Cumberland Hospital.
I am sorry that your experience on the day fell short of our usual standards.
The reception area is shared with that of another department, however the events as you describe are unacceptable.
I will look into this to ensure that we learn from this for the future. Thank you for drawing this to our attention and for your positive comments regarding the clinical teams encountered.
I do hope that your son has made a good recovery.
Best wishes .