West Cumberland Hospital

Telephone: 01946 693181
Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

Lynda Kindleysides gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't fault any of my care

I returned home yesterday after a Tibial Osteotomy I could not fault the care I had received, their caring and professional attention was wonderful, despite the extra pressure of having to move the orthopaedic ward to another part of the hospital. I am so absolutely amazed by the kindness and support given to all the patients and very grateful that there are such wonderful hard working people to care for us in times of need.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 08 June 2015

GarethC gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Thank you Overwater!

Admitted for day surgery. After a long day for self and wife - the operation, will it, won't it take place? taken down to theatre at 7.30pm. Day hospital closed at 8pm. Therefore had to stay overnight. Much rearrangement of beds at 10.15pm. Taken to Overwater ward. Night and day staff superb, thank you to the staff for your care and consideration.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 10 June 2015

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

out patient appointment fracture clinic

Went for a review appointment about my fractured elbow and soft tissue damage today. The receptiomist and nurses and radiographer were brilliant can't fault them at all. The consultant i saw contracted themselves on numerous occasions didn't listen to a word i said and totally ignored any concerns i had.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Domino12 gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy (urgh)

This was the second endoscopy I have had at the West Cumberland and both times the staff have been superb, explaining everything answering my questions (when I didn't have a tube stuck down my throat)

As someone who is transgender, I was reat with the utmost respect and in the gender I prefer to be, from the moment I entered the hospital my name tag was changed to suit my prefered name, which I thought was really nice of them.

I was not made to wait for anything and there was no procedural or care issues, I was in, paperwork sorted, the explaination of what was to happen, the procedure and then discharged, if only other places where as efficient and pleasent. I actually enjoyed the visit as much as you can in a hospital, and felt like I was a person

I will argue with anyone who says the staff from top to bottom (exception of one porter months ago who I think has an issue, thats their problem) are not anything but superb at the West Cumberland

Thanks to everyone on the endoscopy ward

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Domino12 gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident & Emergency Cardiac problem

Firstly I must praise the surgery staff at work and the NHS Ambulance staff, before I got to A&E
Rushed in to A&E in a anxious state appologising constantly from work with pains in chest,
I was recieved and seen to within minutes of arriving by some of the nicest nursing staff I've had to meet, everyone done their best to alay my fears that I was about to die (though I tried to joke about it I was scared)
The staff are efficient but still caring and will answer all questions you have, including explaining what the ECG mean't
I went in really scared but came out thinking relieved
The staff were just great even when dealing with difficult patients (not me)
The are respectful to everyone and make you know you are in the best hands, you do not have any thoughts about their skill and ability
They really are a nice bunch of people who just want to help you
Thanks

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

Maurice Dutton gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Stay on Overwater 1

Was only expecting to stay overnight but due to a complication it was stretched to three days. The ward staff were absolutely fantastic....the Trust may be in "special measures" but the staff on this ward are very "special" indeed...I was looked after as though I were royalty nothing was to much trouble...well done to all concerned. The food was also of a great standard considering the number of meals that need preparation.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 16 May 2015

Carol gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent Surgery & stay in Overwater Ward may 2015

I would just like to say how good all the staff were during my recent stay in hospital. The NHS gets a lot of stick and the WCH has had a hard time in the press.
The pre-op staff were great, doing all the tests and giving me full info of what to expect.
The admission to the ward on the day was excellent with staff keeping me fully informed at all times. The theatre staff were also excellent friendly and caring.
I was admitted to Overwater ward for recovery and again ward staff were fantastic. They are very friendly, everyone introduces themselves and makes you feel comfortable.
My experience during my this stay has improved massively from my last experience 3 years ago.
I would like to thank all the staff involved in my care.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Dave Brown gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arrived with blood pouring from a head wound

I was rapidly and courteously "put on the system" and then sent to a cubicle. A cheerful and reassuring young doctor turned up within five minutes, examined me, and decided that I should have a CT scan but reassured me that this was precautionary and unlikely to show anything sinister.
The scan was over and done with and the results back within half an hour and I was stitched and discharged within two hours of arriving.
The doctor who treated me was very empathetic. They quickly realised that I was not in distress or worried and joked along with me.
A hospital visit is rarely pleasant but if you have to be patched up Whitehaven A&E is a good place.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

clive palmer gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Needing treatment whilst on holiday

I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff I encountered on my 4 visits for treatment to my hand , I received exceptional care and I was dealt with in a most caring and polite way although I shouldn't say this it was almost a delight to have a problem and to have such wonderful genuine people looking after me , once again a big thank you to all concerned . Kind regards Clive Palmer

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 May 2015

Judith Oakley gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total hip replacement

The procedure and aftercare for this operation was outstanding. My consultant, who together with the excellent theatre staff, have given me a new lease of life. I was then sent to Skiddaw ward 2 for my aftercare. All aspects exceeded my expectations from the food to additional services.
Thank you.
The area that gave me cause for concern was linked to postponement of the operation and was beyond the control of those carrying out procedures or providing care, these I will take up with the Trust as some were unnecessary and they give the hospital a bad name.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015