West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Chris Walsh gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent A+E Service, despite being very busy

My elderly mother was taken to A+E following a fall at home on Mon 5th June.

I would like to thank all the staff, ambulance, reception, nurses and doctor for their caring attitude and efficiency. I joined my mother at WCH and she was thoroughly checked out, including x-ray, before being discharged.

Many thanks Whitehaven

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 June 2017

Dear Chris
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers hospital admission on the 5th June 2017.
All of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought she was attended to efficiently, and by caring staff.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
I shall make sure that your comments are shared with the teams involved at North West Ambulance Service, Radiology and A&E West Cumberland Hospital.
I do hope that your mother is continuing to recover well after her fall.
With our best regards,

Judith gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gallbladder removal daycare

I couldn't fault the surgeons and nurses in the daycare. Brilliant care from my nurse (deputy ward manager/sister). Procedure went as expected, only found out day before that I was going . fantastic NHS care . I would recomend to anyone to go to the west Cumbria hospital for this procedure. I can't thank all the staff enough!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Ann palmer reviewed Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital

Total knee replacement

I would like to thank all staff from day case to theatre staff and my surgeon thank you to all staff on ward 1a for your care during my stay

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 13 June 2017

Mark Jones gave Cardiology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Absolutley brilliant

I have just returned home from a night in Whitehaven A&E and I cant thank all the staff enough.
I was moved to the EAU ward and was treated with incredible care.
Such nice staff and all bending over backwards to help in anyway they could.

I would highly recommend this hospital and the staff that treated me last nigh (13/06/2017).

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Debbra gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery to have gallbladder removed

Today 15th June I went in to have my gallbladder removed , waited less than 5 minutes to be taken from reception at 8 am by 9.10 I was in theatre after being cared for by a lovely nurse, they were polite , informative, and had a very very calming effect of me putting me at ease and explaining step by step what was going to happen , the nurse also asked if I was comfortable having them look after me, and was very good at making sure I was given my privacy, I learnt that today was their final day, if this is the level of service the nurse has given to their patients, year after year then that nurse deserves to put their feet up. This nurse is a diamond I'm sure you will be sadly missed by all your colleagues, a big thank you for today.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 15 June 2017

J.F. gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hysteroscopy. Polyp removal.

I attended 3 times for investigation, hysteroscopy then polyp removal. As I had breast cancer about five years ago I admit to feeling a bit anxious. I cannot praise the team at West Cumberland highly enough.

Initially I went for an ultrasound feeling quite scared, knowing one outcome could be bladder cancer. The team were wonderful, explained every step of the procedure, listened when I expressed my concerns and were extremely thorough in their investigation. Thank you so much to you both.

I then went to Gynaecology and was initially seen by a very caring and friendly nurse who made me feel much more confident about the procedure. I am sure they ensured I was not left waiting too long, as I admitted to feeling a bit scared about my symptoms and the waiting room was full. The consultant doctor greeted me in an equally friendly and reassuring manner and gave me some facts regarding my chance of having a recurrence of cancer, which made me feel ten times better!

All the nurses I saw, throughout the three visits were superb. I felt the teamwork was excellent, they all seemed to interact in a professional, co-operative and trusting manner. This puts one so much at ease and they made me feel very special and well looked after. I never felt I lost my dignity and was treated with the utmost respect and thoughtfulness at all times. How they manage to do this, with their heavy work load, I do not know. Although it is inadequate I just want to say " Thank you to you all."

I saw the Doctor again on my third visit and they were just as wonderful as on the first consultation and procedure. They were always solicitous and attentive and obviously did everything in their power to ensure the procedure was not painful, (which it wasn't). They are the most attentive, kind and gentle doctor, and I would like to say 'Thank you so much.'

I attended West Cumberland and Carlisle hospitals when I had breast cancer and found the teams extremely impressive. When my GP was arranging a consultation this time, I requested I attend West Cumberland or Carlisle again, rather than the hospital mentioned at first. I am so glad I did.

To any potential/ future patients reading this review, I cannot recommend this hospital and the teams I saw, highly enough. We really must start valuing our medical staff as they deserve, I cannot express how thankful I am for such wonderful treatment..

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Mr Andrew Hamilton gave Endocrine and thyroid surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

High quality standard of patient care, just when you need it

Just left the post op ward after a four day stay where I frankly felt ill and had a lot of pain. The staff were incredibly supportive, kind and helpful and the facilities could not have been bettered, any where, each room providing privacy for you and your family, and a personal shower and toilet that were maintained impeccably. The real success here are the people, all of them from support staff to those with specialised roles, they all work very hard. All go the extra yard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. During my stay, there were staff shortages and the work loads particularly during night shift were demanding. The nurses just got on with it leaving me feeling inadequate in the world of dedication.

You are all highly prized and valued by those of us who have required your skills and dedication, to those of you yet to require the WCH facilities and staff fear not, you will be in very good hands.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

Dear Mr Hamilton,
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Trust via NHS Choices.
It is pleasing to read that you felt the staff at West Cumberland Hospital were supportive, kind and helpful.
All of our staff work incredibly hard to make patients feel comfortable and I am sure they will be delighted to know that is how they made you feel.
I will pass your kind comments to Matron who will be delighted to share them with all of the teams involved in your care.
Best wishes for your continued recovery,

Joanne gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 1A

The care my mother is receiving on ward 1A is outstanding.The staff ,not only are they professional and friendly ,but also hard working.
The enviroment is clean,it is evident that good patient care is priority.
The Sister and their team are a real credit to the hospital and should be commended,they epitomize what Is good in the NHS.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 May 2017

Dear Joanne,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us through NHS Choices. I am very pleased that your mother is receiving outstanding care on Ward 1.
The teams work very hard to ensure patient care is a priority.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the teams who are looking after your mother.
Best wishes to you both and thank you again for such complimentary feedback.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cannot praise high enough

I was taken to Whitehaven hospital via ambulance - the ambulance staff were amazing with me and helped me as much as they possibly could. Once in A&E all staff were very helpful and ensured they could do everything to make me comfortable.

Specialists saw me within half an hour and were able to stop the complications quickly. The after care and care on the ward was exceptional, I could not believe the level of care as all you hear is bad reviews usually.

Thankyou to all the staff for helping me, if we had left it later the complications could have been much worse.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff this lovely feedback. It really does man a great deal to us to hear that your experience of our A&E department was a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play.
With best wishes

Edna Harper gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement 28th April 2017

I was admitted to WCH to have a knee replacement on Friday 28th April 2017 as you would expect I was apprehensive but from the minute I walked onto the Day Unit to be admitted I was reassured the staff where lovely, friendly and welcoming. This carried on when I went into theatre and then when I went into recovery. As I had a spinal anaesthetic I was conscious throughout and can remember virtually everything. I was then placed on Ward 1A where the care I received from all staff, day and night, was exemplary nothing was to much trouble if I pressed the buzzer for anything someone came and sorted it, I was never made to feel a nuisance even though sometimes I only wanted someone to 'put my leg in bed' which I felt awful having to ring for. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff from senior staff to cleaning staff everyone had the same pleasant manner nothing was to much trouble even though it was obvious they were busy. I would recommend WCH to anyone with care like I received there is no reason to go anywhere else.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 08 May 2017

Dear Edna
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease. I am very pleased that you are received kind and professional care and that you found all staff supportive.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the teams involved who were working on the 28th April 2017.
Best wishes