West Cumberland Hospital

Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

Judith Oakley gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total hip replacement

The procedure and aftercare for this operation was outstanding. My consultant, who together with the excellent theatre staff, have given me a new lease of life. I was then sent to Skiddaw ward 2 for my aftercare. All aspects exceeded my expectations from the food to additional services.
Thank you.
The area that gave me cause for concern was linked to postponement of the operation and was beyond the control of those carrying out procedures or providing care, these I will take up with the Trust as some were unnecessary and they give the hospital a bad name.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015

Rebecca Ballantyne gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Facilities dated, however patient care excellent

I was sent to the West Cumberland for a VQ Gamma Scan in the Nuclear Medicine Department as the scanner at Carlisle was broken. From my first contact with the hospital to leaving after the procedure had been completed, I was treated with dignity & respect. The day before my scan I received a phone call to confirm the scan time & to discuss any questions I had. The member of staff was able to fully answer all my specific questions relating to the scan (none of the consultants at Carlisle or radiology technicians could answer my questions relating to dose uptake or fetal exposure - I`m 30 weeks pregnant).

I found this really reassuring as I was then able to weigh up the risk & make an informed decision about the scan myself rather than just accept the opinion of the consultants, who when asked were unable to answer my questions.

When I arrived at the department I was greated with smiles and made to feel very welcome. There were some complications administering the isotope, however the nurses were sympathetic, reassuring and ultimately very caring in their approach. The scan was completed and we discussed the best way for me to receive the results asap.

I returned home to Carlisle and waited for a phone call from Carlisle Ambilatory Care. It was almost 2pm and I had still yet to receive a phone call so I rang the Cumberland Infirmary to try and chase my results. I was passed from department to department and in the end I rang the member of staff back at the West Cumberland and they were more than happy to help. The member of staff rang Carlisle and chased up my results. I received a phonecall from Carlisle that included a mumbled apology and a brief 10 second conversation regarding my results, when I asked for more information I was told that I should contact my GP to discuss further. I honestly belive I would not have received my results today if they had not chased them up.

The paitient care shown at the West Cumberland is head & shoulders above the Cumberland Infirmary & I believe that praise should be given when its deserved, especially when there is so much negativity surrounding the NHS.

I've rang the department to pass on my thanks. They made a worrying and scary procedure much more bearable, brilliant patient care.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide this very detailed feedback regarding your recent experiences at both Cumberland Infirmary Carlisle and West Cumberland Hospital.
I am pleased to hear that your procedure at WCH was so reassuring for you.
We will use your comments to improve the consistency of care .
Patient Experience

A Williams. gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

All nursing staff in main outpatients.

On visiting the main outpatients, I am most impressed by by all the nursing staff. very cheerfull, Highly Professional, Most Caring, Highly deserve a pay rise, Thanks Very Much.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 16 March 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Very many thanks for this positive feedback . I am pleased that your care was of such high standard . Best wishes

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

awful condescending staff

I eventually got seen 1.5 hours after my appointment with no apology or explanation. I was then surprised to explain why I was there when I was referred by my doctor (if my notes were properly read then this wouldn't happen). After going through this I was expecting to discuss my options with the specialist but instead they proceeded to talk to me in a very condescending manner to lose weight. I waited over 10 weeks for the appointment and I am no better off than when I fist saw my doctor 5 months ago. I am going back to my doctor and get referred to a different hospital as I am appalled by this service.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 17 April 2015

Lal gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Knee Arthroscopy - Excellent Care

I recently (Feb 2015) had a Knee Arthroscopy at the West Cumberland Hospital and can't praise the hospital and its staff highly enough. Having only had an MRI scan done just before Christmas, I was impressed with the timescale between the scan and the surgery and indeed every part of the 'process'.
On the morning of admission, the hospital had an emergency patient which put my op about three hours behind but I was kept fully informed and on arrival at theatre, every part of the process was explained fully and the staff were just brilliant, truly friendly people who put me completely at ease.
The staff on Skiddaw Ward were excellent, particularly my assigned nurse who incidentally was on their third thirteen/fourteen-hour-shift in a row, and the orderlies, cleaners, etc., were all helpful and cheerful.
I think it's important for people to see that good experiences are being had at the West Cumberland Hospital as too much negative emphasis is being placed on our hospitals when staff are clearly under a lot of pressure whilst still maintaining an excellent standard of care.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015

m wright gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

knee replacement operation February 2015

Two weeks,ago I had a total knee replacement operation, I cannot praise this hospital enough everyone from surgeon, theatre medics, ward staff and cleaners, everyone was wonderful, so kind helpful and caring. The nurses are the best I have come across, nothing is too much trouble considering the long shifts they all work. My surgeon was so approachable and explained everything to.me, I was very nervous about the operation, I had no need to be, they were very kind and put me at my ease. I will be having my other knee done in a few months time and know now that I do not need to be concerned.

Thank you to everyone concerned. Margaret Wright

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 February 2015

Anonymous gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

exceptional care

I recently spent a second stay in west Cumberland hospital at Whitehaven,the care i received was second to none from my specialist right down to the people who clean the wards.Nothing was too much trouble for the nursing staff on Overwater ward,anything that i requested was there within a few minutes,i was given clear explanations on anything i asked about my illness and future treatments.The food was exceptional and the ward spotless.I have stayed in hotels around the world and WCH would have been classed as one of the best if it had been a hotel.I. am one of the people who do not like hospitals but the way that i and my fellow inpatients were treat was exceptional.WCH you should be proud.thankyou..

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 12 February 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Thank you so much for this very positive testimony of care recently received. I am delighted that you found your stay to be so satisfactory on so many fronts. The teams will be delighted to hear your feedback.
Best wishes and thanks
Patient |Experience

margaret wright gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

skiddaw ward

I had total knee replacement operation in February, could not fault any of the staff, they are all caring, professional and respectful, nothing was too much trouble, best care ever and a very positive experience for a major operation well done to everyone concerned

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 March 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Many thanks for taking the time to contact us with this message, it is good to hear that your care was so well received .

Best wishes for your ongoing recovery

Eddy Graham gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great compassion and efficiency

Admitted to skiddaw ward and in spite of low nursing levels, made to feel welcome. (One member of staff in particular was amazing all day to the point where they got lunch at 1615, felt very sorry for her.) The consultant and the anaesthetist explained the procedure well before, during and after which was reassuring. 1 week later and I more mobile than I expected to the point where I am cross training already to start my running training again in 5 weeks. I am sure this would not have been the case withoutt the consultants care and attention to my needs as a runner. Thankyou!

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 25 February 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 March 2015

Dear Eddy
Thank you for this very positive feedback. I am delighted that the care received was such a good experience for you. Best wishes for your on going recovery , I hope that you will soon be able to resume your sport with the minimum disruption!
Regards

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted. 2 ops cancelled ,,

Well I needed a hysterectomy in nov,got date 18 dec.. Got there after 1 hour journey got in a bed,then nurse came ,sorry go home..what. Mental torture
Today should have had op again, all set hubby time off again! To be rang at 10 do not come!!! All closed down no beds!! Are we in 2015 or Victorian times"
I am going to newspapers with this,far enough they have Nora virus at carlisle. But ...twice.
Oh by the way I have had breast cancer. So ovarys. Can start that again!!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 19 January 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 23 January 2015

I am so sorry to hear of the difficult time that you have had and apologise for the distress that this has understandably caused.
You may be aware from the media, of the unprecedented levels of pressure experienced by all NHS services nationally this winter. Unfortunately this has a knock on effect on bed availability within all of our hospitals, I am sorry that your need for a procedure has been caught up in the middle of this. I know that this national problem does not lessen the distress of your own situation.
I do hope that arrangements can soon be made for a re booking for you. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team at the West Cumberland Hospital can be contacted on 01946 523818 if you need to get in touch
With kind regards