West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Lynne Davidson gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gallbladder removal

3 days ago had my gallbladder removed and from arriving to leaving the same day I was put at ease by the nurses and theatre staff all of whom were lovely. I would certainly recommend this hospital to everyone

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 August 2017

Dear Lynne,
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices about your recent admission for gallbladder surgery at West Cumberland Hospital.
I will pass your comments to Sister and Matron as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the teams involved.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
With best wishes for your continued recovery,
Patient Experience

Angela Cliffe gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Visit to A&E

Thursday 10th August 2017 I unfortunately had a fall, whilst out walking. I damaged my left wrist and had cause to visit the A&E Department at this hospital, which is local to where I live. I would just like to say how impressed I was with how quickly and efficiently I was dealt with! We hear so much negativity about our NHS Service that I feel that it is important to give credit where it is due. I am unable to provide the names of the staff who dealt with me as I was feeling a little shaken and didn't make a note of them. But a big thank you to you all!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Angela,
I am so sorry that your walk resulted in an fall but thank you very much for taking the time to write to us with your positive review of our services.
I am very pleased to hear that you received such kind and compassionate care from the staff in Accident & Emergency on the 10th August 2017.
I shall pass your kind comments to Matron so that she can share them with the team who will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care that they provide.
I hope your wrist is healing well.
Best wishes,
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

camera

Very professional and friendly service.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your visit to West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very pleased that you found the service friendly and professional.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the team.
Best regards
Patient Experience

Dave Holderness gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A&E

I visited A&E in a wheelchair on Thursday 10th August at 10:00 with a foot injury. I was seen by a nurse within 15 minutes and a doctor very soon after. An X-ray of my left foot was quickly organised and carried out without any fuss. A doctor and a surgeon (I believe) explained that I had broken my left little toe quite badly and that it would need to be re-set. The whole procedure was fully explained to me at each step and I was treated with the utmost care, professionalism and kindness by all of the staff that were involved. Before leaving the follow-up care required was fully explained to me. 10 out of 10!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 15 August 2017

Dear Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust.
I am really pleased you found your care to be kind and professional.
All of the staff, including those behind the scenes, work really hard to provide a continuity of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
Your comments demonstrate the multi-disciplinary approach to care where everyone has a part to play, even after your discharge from hospital.
I will ensure that you review is shared with the teams involved with your care.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.
Patient Experience

Barbara Leckie gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 1a

During my 3 day stay on ward 1a following a knee operation, I feel it's important to acknowledge the exemplary care I received from all members of staff.
Everything from the nursing care, support, food, friendliness and cheerful attitudes made my admission a success.
I would also like to say a huge thank you to the doctor and their theatre staff who immediately put me at ease.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Reassuringly excellent care for our daughter

Our young daughter suffered burns while on holiday and we were sent first to Whitehaven before referral onwards. The paramedics who attended to us were great, very professional and courteous, advising us what they were doing and why at each stage and contending with sheep on the roads etc. Treated our daughter like their own - genuine dedication evident in their care of her. Arrival at the hospital, we were sent to A and E where we were assessed by a nurse relatively quickly. After an hour, I asked to be updated on plans for her to be admitted and our daughter was again assessed by an A and E doctor and we were referred very soon after this to the paediatrics ward. Their care was fantastic. A great team of nurses all attending to us and ensuring we were comfortable and had what we needed such as a phone charger. We were assessed quickly by two doctors and advised we'd be transferred to burn specialists in Newcastle in the early hours. We waited an hour for transfer but made comfortable in the interval. Same paramedics saw us through to Carlisle and a change of team there escorted us through to Newcastle. Even the paramedics we met briefly were all very professional and caring. All this prior to first class treatment at Newcastle. A traumatic experience but our daughter well on the mend and due in no small part to all the professionals we encountered here. West Cumbria exemplifies the best of the NHS - people working within evident constraints but with real feeling for their patients. Thank you very, very much. Don't be put off by the CQC rating!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 31 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust via NHS Choices
I am so sorry that you daughter suffered burns whist on holiday, it must have been quite a shock for you all. I do hope that she wasn’t in too much pain whilst you waited on the paramedics.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play in the patient’s journey.
I shall forward your kind comments to North West Ambulance Service, A&E and the Childrens ward so that they can be shared with the teams who will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care that they provide
With our very best wishes for your daughters continued recovery.

Edith. Tate gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

urology multidisciplinary team

I would like to say a very big thank you to all you wonderful people . I came to live in Scotby.Carlisle ( from Darlington) quite a poorly lady. My daughter took me to her Dr June 4th and from that day the treatment care and dignity I have received has been beyond wonderful .To me Bladder cancer was Avery frightening thing and I just fell apart the Doctor talked to my daughter and I when I first found out . The Doctor beyond caring and without that very first talk i don't think I would have understood what it was all about so thank you for all the help you have given me , I will also like to say a very big and humble thank you to all theStaff. For their wonderful care and consideration throughout. To end I would also like to thank ward 1c thaward itself is perfect the staff both night and day were just wonderful .i would come to your hospital any time with the knowledge you are the best thank you Edith Tate

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 03 August 2017

Dear Edith.
We are sorry to read that you have been very ill with bladder cancer. It must have been a very stressful and anxious time for you but it is pleasing to read that you felt supported and reassured at every stage of your treatment and care.
I shall make sure your kind comments are shared with the teams involved, I am sure they will be delighted to read such wonderful feedback.
I do hope that you are continuing to improve.
Best wishes
Alison S-D.

Craig Durham gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total knee replacement ( both knees)

I attended WCH on 20th July for a TKR of my left knee following the same operation on my right knee back in September of 2016. I have nothing but absolute admiration for everyone involved in my care during my operation and my short stay in hospital following my op - I have absolutely no doubt that had I gone private, the care would not have been bettered. Again, I would like to thank every member of staff at the WCH (especially the surgeon) who had a part in my care during my operation and the days which followed - you know who you all are and you are all stars !

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Craig,
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Trust via NHS Choices.
I am very pleased that you felt the staff at West Cumberland Hospital were supportive, kind and helpful.
All of our staff work incredibly hard to make patients feel comfortable and I am sure they will be delighted to know that is how they made you feel.
I will pass your kind comments to the ward manager who will be delighted to share them with all the teams involved in your care.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.
Alison S-D.
Patient Experience.

Chris Walsh gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent A+E Service, despite being very busy

My elderly mother was taken to A+E following a fall at home on Mon 5th June.

I would like to thank all the staff, ambulance, reception, nurses and doctor for their caring attitude and efficiency. I joined my mother at WCH and she was thoroughly checked out, including x-ray, before being discharged.

Many thanks Whitehaven

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 June 2017

Dear Chris
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers hospital admission on the 5th June 2017.
All of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought she was attended to efficiently, and by caring staff.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
I shall make sure that your comments are shared with the teams involved at North West Ambulance Service, Radiology and A&E West Cumberland Hospital.
I do hope that your mother is continuing to recover well after her fall.
With our best regards,

Judith gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gallbladder removal daycare

I couldn't fault the surgeons and nurses in the daycare. Brilliant care from my nurse (deputy ward manager/sister). Procedure went as expected, only found out day before that I was going . fantastic NHS care . I would recomend to anyone to go to the west Cumbria hospital for this procedure. I can't thank all the staff enough!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 26 June 2017

Dear Judith
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices about your experience of West Cumberland Hospital Day Case Unit.
I will pass your comments to the ward managers and the matron as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
All of the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
Best wishes for your continued recovery,