West Cumberland Hospital

Telephone: 01946 693181
Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

bah gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

a & e

nothing dramatic but wanted to say thank you to a&e doctor for persevering and finding and removing the tiny piece of wood in my eye which was giving me a lot of pain. relief was fantastic. Not the first time I've been pleased with their attention. bless u all

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 16 April 2014

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Jeanie Sweeney gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Quality and friendliness

After my recent orthopeadic operation during which I stayed in the Kirkstone ward I would like to thank all the staff for their friendliness and courtesy. I was made to feel at ease and that is was never any trouble to look after me. Whenever I asked a question it was answered freely and in a way that I could understand. This applies to everyone, the cleaners, nurses and doctors.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 13 April 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 15 April 2014

Dear Jeanie,
Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent experience on Kirkstone ward at West Cumberland Hospital. I am so pleased that you found the care given by the full team to be of such a high standard. I will pass your comments on to them, they will be delighted to receive the feedback.
Best wishes for your on going recovery.

caroline gave Maternity service at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

scbu

My daughter was born at 32 weeks on 14th Feb 2014, the staff in scbu where absolutely fantastic, we where looked after so well and they where alway there to talk to when we needed reassurance couldn't of asked for a better team well done they do a marvellous job, hope they get told how well of a job they do x

from Caroline morris

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 07 April 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 April 2014

Dear Caroline
Thank you so much for getting in touch to let us know about your experience of the SC BU at West Cumberland Hospital. I can imagine that it must have been a very anxious time for you and your family and am delighted to hear that you found the care to be so supportive and helpful. I will make sure that the team are made aware of your message .
Best wishes to you and your new baby

Ally gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic

I am a little late in submitting this review, so sorry about that. I was admitted onto Kirkstone 1 ward for a biopsy on a lower abdominal mass and from the moment I arrived, the care I received was fantastic. Despite being very busy, the nurses were at all times caring, professional, attentive and respectful and tea and toast in bed has never tasted better!
I have been privileged to receive many welcoming smiles in this hospital but I can safely say that this consultant's smile was the biggest and most welcoming smile ever & instantly put me at ease. He explained the biopsy procedure even taking the time to give a demonstration of the equipment in an attempt to prevent me from being shocked by the noise (I still jumped sorry ;) ) and he then worked with the wonderfully calming & humorous theatre nurse to make the procedure as bearable as it could be.
I am very happy that I have chosen West Cumberland for my treatment and even though I require an operation to complete it, I have the utmost confidence in the consultant (different department) and his team that it will conclude successfully. I would have no hesitation in recommending the hospital based on the fantastic care I have received to date.
The hospital should be very proud of its staff and I would really appreciate it if this positive feed back could be passed back to those involved.
Once again, many thanks.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 05 April 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 April 2014

Dear Ally
We are very grateful to you for taking the time to contact us about your experience at West Cumberland Hospital.
I will make sure that the full team are made aware of this very positive feedback. They too will be delighted to hear that the standards of care that they aim to achieve were so evidently met.
With best wishes for your on going recovery .
Patient Experience

Anne Tinning gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kirkstone 1hysterectomy surgery

I actually had my hysterectomy on Jan20th so am a little late writing this review.I live in Carlisle so was very apprehensive about travelling to Whitehaven but my worries were unnecessary.I stayed on Kirkstone 1 as there were no beds on the gynae ward but the care I received was fantastic.All staff were so caring the ladies that brought the meals,student nurses and many more too numerous to name really put me at ease,nothing
was a trouble.Thank you all so much.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 01 April 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Dear Ann
Thank you so much for getting in touch about your recent surgery. I am delighted to hear that you found the care to be of such a high standard . It is good to hear that all members of the team contributed to your care in this way, I will ensure that they are made aware of this very positive feedback.
With best wishes for your continued recovery
General Manager Patient Experience

Teresa ancell gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from all involved

Was admitted to kirkstone ward on 7th march for an operation to correct my bunion. I must commend all the staff from care workers, nurses, physios, surgeons and nursing staff in theatres for their professionalism and care during my stay. I had a spinal anaesthetic which I was a bit nervous about but the doctor who came to see me before Surgery explained what was going to happen during the procedure and gave me the choice of a full anaesthetic or a spinal. So glad I had the spinal, I would certainly recommend it. I have just been to have my stitches out and have had no problems except for a bit of pain which was controlled with painkillers for the first few days.
Must say for the scare stories about bunion operations that people like to tell you about I can definitely say if you want this operation then could definitely recommend west Cumberland.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 27 March 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 02 April 2014

Dear Teresa
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent experience of surgery at West Cumberland Hospital, it is very gratifying to hear that you found it to be so positive and beneficial.

I will ensure that the team are aware of this excellent feedback, and feel sure that will want me to pass on their thanks and good wishes to you for a speedy on going recovery.
With kind regards

janet boak gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

surgery

i was admitted to overwater, i can honestly say the staff were fantastic, they were so caring, nothing was too much trouble for them. I was terrified about my surgery as i needed a full hysterectomy after been diagnosed with cancer, my surgeon and all his team totally put me at ease. My family came from carlisle to visit me and the staff encouraged them to stay way over visiting times and even made them hot drinks on my first night as i had a few complications during surgery...........west cumbria should be proud of their hospital staff.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 16 March 2014

Dear Janet
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this message regarding your recent care at West Cumberland Hospital. I will ensure that the teams are made aware of your positive feedback.
I am sure they will be delighted to hear that you found the care to be of such high standard, and that they would want to join me in wishing you well in your further recovery.
With best wishes and thanks

Anonymous gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cystoscopy Dept

I have written this review mainly to reassure any female patients who may be required to undertake the above procedure.
Firstly, the procedure is not at all painful although you might be slightly aware of the camera as it being moved around.
The consultant was extremely calming, efficient (& gentle) in inserting the camera, so much so that I wasn't that it had been done until the image was seen on the screen, he then remained a respectful distance away until the procedure had been completed. He then explained what he had seen, the results of previous treatments and what the next steps were in relation to my case.
I was very anxious at the thought of this procedure, and whilst I'm not going to be booking a regular weekly slot, I will have no concerns if I am ever recalled to have it repeated.
In summary, full marks to the consultant for his professionalism and for doing his utmost to reassure me during the procedure.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 07 March 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 31 March 2014

We are very grateful to you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent care, I am sure that your comments will indeed be reassuring to other patients who may be facing the prosepct of requiring a similar procedure.
We are delighted to hear that you found the care to be of such a high standard, particularly regarding communication,dignity, respect and compassionate care: this is very valued feedback indeed .
With best wishes and thanks again.

Waiting Room Blues gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Planned admission took 7 hours in A&E before bed available

My wife had an admission arranged through her GP and Specialist at the Hospital. We were told at 13:00 to come to A&E with an admission letter at 17:00. It was after midnight when a bed became available and she was admitted onto the ward.

Despite being in a lot of distress nothing could be done to speed up admission. We live 5 minutes from the hospital & for a pre-arranged admission it would surely be better to phone the person when a bed is actually available instead of sitting in the holding pens with nothing happening. It raises a patients stress levels when they are already distressed. It wouldn't take a lot to organise.

I suggested this at the desk as a way to improve patient experience.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 03 March 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 April 2014

Dear Sir
I am sorry to hear that this was such an unsatisfactory experience for your wife and yourself. We acknowledeg that at at times, availbility of beds can be a challenge and are so sorry that this was the case on the date in question.
The rationale for requesting that you wait at the hospital would be to ensure that your wife was in a place of safety with medical staff to hand , if her need for admission was determined by her GP and specialist .
We are grateful to you for contacting us about this experience and will use it to learn how we can make things more comfortable and less distressing for patients in future should this situation arise again.
With best wishes to both yourself and your wife. I hope that she is making a good recovery.
General Manager Patient Experience

John Pickersgill gave Ear, Nose & Throat at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hello Is Anybody there

Been trying since Thursday 20th Feb to try and contact my consultant's secretary at Whitehaven to get results of CT Scan, One minute phone engaged next just rings and rings and rings and rings, the secratery at Carlisle sent her email on 20th to contact me but still no contact. Phoned today 25th to speak to someone to make complaint but again all that happens is you are put through and again phone just rings and rings and rings and rings. Hello is anybody there.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 25 February 2014

Dear John
I am sorry that you had difficulties at this time contacting the service in question.
Your experience falls short of our usual standard and measures have subsequently been put in place to rectify the situation.
I understand that you were able to access your results shortly after this, and wish to apologise for the frustration caused at the time.
With regards and best wishes