West Cumberland Hospital

Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

Domino12 gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy (urgh)

This was the second endoscopy I have had at the West Cumberland and both times the staff have been superb, explaining everything answering my questions (when I didn't have a tube stuck down my throat)

As someone who is transgender, I was reat with the utmost respect and in the gender I prefer to be, from the moment I entered the hospital my name tag was changed to suit my prefered name, which I thought was really nice of them.

I was not made to wait for anything and there was no procedural or care issues, I was in, paperwork sorted, the explaination of what was to happen, the procedure and then discharged, if only other places where as efficient and pleasent. I actually enjoyed the visit as much as you can in a hospital, and felt like I was a person

I will argue with anyone who says the staff from top to bottom (exception of one porter months ago who I think has an issue, thats their problem) are not anything but superb at the West Cumberland

Thanks to everyone on the endoscopy ward

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Domino12 gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident & Emergency Cardiac problem

Firstly I must praise the surgery staff at work and the NHS Ambulance staff, before I got to A&E
Rushed in to A&E in a anxious state appologising constantly from work with pains in chest,
I was recieved and seen to within minutes of arriving by some of the nicest nursing staff I've had to meet, everyone done their best to alay my fears that I was about to die (though I tried to joke about it I was scared)
The staff are efficient but still caring and will answer all questions you have, including explaining what the ECG mean't
I went in really scared but came out thinking relieved
The staff were just great even when dealing with difficult patients (not me)
The are respectful to everyone and make you know you are in the best hands, you do not have any thoughts about their skill and ability
They really are a nice bunch of people who just want to help you
Thanks

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

Maurice Dutton gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Stay on Overwater 1

Was only expecting to stay overnight but due to a complication it was stretched to three days. The ward staff were absolutely fantastic....the Trust may be in "special measures" but the staff on this ward are very "special" indeed...I was looked after as though I were royalty nothing was to much trouble...well done to all concerned. The food was also of a great standard considering the number of meals that need preparation.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 16 May 2015

Carol gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent Surgery & stay in Overwater Ward may 2015

I would just like to say how good all the staff were during my recent stay in hospital. The NHS gets a lot of stick and the WCH has had a hard time in the press.
The pre-op staff were great, doing all the tests and giving me full info of what to expect.
The admission to the ward on the day was excellent with staff keeping me fully informed at all times. The theatre staff were also excellent friendly and caring.
I was admitted to Overwater ward for recovery and again ward staff were fantastic. They are very friendly, everyone introduces themselves and makes you feel comfortable.
My experience during my this stay has improved massively from my last experience 3 years ago.
I would like to thank all the staff involved in my care.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 19 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Dave Brown gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arrived with blood pouring from a head wound

I was rapidly and courteously "put on the system" and then sent to a cubicle. A cheerful and reassuring young doctor turned up within five minutes, examined me, and decided that I should have a CT scan but reassured me that this was precautionary and unlikely to show anything sinister.
The scan was over and done with and the results back within half an hour and I was stitched and discharged within two hours of arriving.
The doctor who treated me was very empathetic. They quickly realised that I was not in distress or worried and joked along with me.
A hospital visit is rarely pleasant but if you have to be patched up Whitehaven A&E is a good place.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

Anonymous gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

This hospital could not treat a common condition

I needed urgent surgery for appendicitis. This hospital could not provide the service. I had to wait 4 hours for an ambulance, then a 1 hour trip in an ambulance, arriving in Carlisle too late to be treated that day. I was eventually operated on at least 19 hours later than I should have been, with a gangrenous appendix that had started to perforate. The delay can only have contributed to the severity of my condition when I was finally treated.
My star ratings shown above are given on the basis that there is no other hospital locally - hence the answers are meaningless.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 08 May 2015

Judith Oakley gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total hip replacement

The procedure and aftercare for this operation was outstanding. My consultant, who together with the excellent theatre staff, have given me a new lease of life. I was then sent to Skiddaw ward 2 for my aftercare. All aspects exceeded my expectations from the food to additional services.
Thank you.
The area that gave me cause for concern was linked to postponement of the operation and was beyond the control of those carrying out procedures or providing care, these I will take up with the Trust as some were unnecessary and they give the hospital a bad name.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Maureen Atkinson gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total hip replacement.

After initial misgivings due to bad press towards WCH, I had my total hip replacement there on April 20th.

The care and attention given by the doctor and their theatre team, and later by the staff and porterson Skiddaw 2 could not have been surpassed. The food also exceeded expectations.

Thank you all. Well done.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

Rebecca Ballantyne gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Facilities dated, however patient care excellent

I was sent to the West Cumberland for a VQ Gamma Scan in the Nuclear Medicine Department as the scanner at Carlisle was broken. From my first contact with the hospital to leaving after the procedure had been completed, I was treated with dignity & respect. The day before my scan I received a phone call to confirm the scan time & to discuss any questions I had. The member of staff was able to fully answer all my specific questions relating to the scan (none of the consultants at Carlisle or radiology technicians could answer my questions relating to dose uptake or fetal exposure - I`m 30 weeks pregnant).

I found this really reassuring as I was then able to weigh up the risk & make an informed decision about the scan myself rather than just accept the opinion of the consultants, who when asked were unable to answer my questions.

When I arrived at the department I was greated with smiles and made to feel very welcome. There were some complications administering the isotope, however the nurses were sympathetic, reassuring and ultimately very caring in their approach. The scan was completed and we discussed the best way for me to receive the results asap.

I returned home to Carlisle and waited for a phone call from Carlisle Ambilatory Care. It was almost 2pm and I had still yet to receive a phone call so I rang the Cumberland Infirmary to try and chase my results. I was passed from department to department and in the end I rang the member of staff back at the West Cumberland and they were more than happy to help. The member of staff rang Carlisle and chased up my results. I received a phonecall from Carlisle that included a mumbled apology and a brief 10 second conversation regarding my results, when I asked for more information I was told that I should contact my GP to discuss further. I honestly belive I would not have received my results today if they had not chased them up.

The paitient care shown at the West Cumberland is head & shoulders above the Cumberland Infirmary & I believe that praise should be given when its deserved, especially when there is so much negativity surrounding the NHS.

I've rang the department to pass on my thanks. They made a worrying and scary procedure much more bearable, brilliant patient care.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide this very detailed feedback regarding your recent experiences at both Cumberland Infirmary Carlisle and West Cumberland Hospital.
I am pleased to hear that your procedure at WCH was so reassuring for you.
We will use your comments to improve the consistency of care .
Alison
Patient Experience

A Williams. gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

All nursing staff in main outpatients.

On visiting the main outpatients, I am most impressed by by all the nursing staff. very cheerfull, Highly Professional, Most Caring, Highly deserve a pay rise, Thanks Very Much.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 16 March 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 March 2015

Very many thanks for this positive feedback . I am pleased that your care was of such high standard . Best wishes
Alison