West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

great staff

my mam came into hospital last week for a new knee, the staff where fantastic on ward one . my mam has dementure and she has a job in remembering where she is or what exercises she had to do ,the staff where great with her they wrote down the exercises for her and reasurred her all the time. Staff done a great job of making me feel that she was in good hands .

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 06 May 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers experience of surgery and her stay on Ward 1, West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very glad to hear that you found her care to be of such a high standard.
It is pleasing to read that the staff took the time to write down the exercise instructions and reassured her so that she felt safe.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your feedback.
I will pass your comments to the team on Ward 1 and the Matron for surgery as I am sure they will be delighted to share your review with their colleagues.
Best wishes to you both.
Patient Experience

Ken Bradford gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident and Emergency Support

During May, I have needed to visit your A and E department on three occasions for a urine retention problem (too much information). The professionalism, kindness and good humour of your doctors, nurses and reception staff on each occasion was superb. I would like to thank each of those involved in my care for their help and support. A marvellous team!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 May 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 25 May 2016

Dear Mr Bradford,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff in Accident & Emergency this lovely feedback.
I am very pleased that you received kind and professional care on each visit (during May) and found the staff supportive. We know that they work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is recognised and appreciated by patients.
With best wishes

Elaine Jack gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery

From the arrival to the day case reception to my departure at 7:30 ish I was absolutely bowled over by the professionalism and care I received - I couldn't have been treated any better .The ward is bright and clean and the staff from the receptionist student nurse to the ward manager and theatre staff were excellent and a credit to the hospital.I have recently moved to the area so had no idea what to expect but I was so impressed and feel that this positive experience has already made me feel better. Well done to all.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 15 April 2016

Dear Elaine,
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent Day Surgery admission.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the new hospital environment to be of such a high standard.
I will pass your comments to the Day Surgery Orthopaedic Consultants and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with their wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to enjoy your Lake District location.
Best wishes for the future.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care at West Cumberland

I had a fast access outpatients appointment at the hospital. I was seen promptly and all the staff were brilliant. They reassured me, they listened, explanations were very clear and they were very caring. The only problem I had was finding out where maternity was. It 30 minutes walking around the 2 hospitals getting different directions from anyone we met. Apart from that it was a very good experience. Thank you.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 16 April 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience. All of the staff work really hard to provide a level of care and they will be delighted with your comments. I am sorry however that you had difficulty finding the department and that the directions given to you were poor. Perhaps we need to look at our signage more closely to prevent this happening again…
We appreciate your feedback and I will pass it to Matron for Outpatients so that she can share it with the team and I will also send this to the Estates department so that they can investigate the signage between both parts of the hospital.
With thanks and best wishes
Patient Experience

John Davnall gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E walk in

I came in with a split forehead following a fall on Scafell on Friday 22nd April. I was dealt with quickly and comfortably and with care and courtesy. If you can identify the triage nurse, doctor and dressing nurse involved please relay my thanks and appreciation. The stitches came out today and the wound seems to be healing well. Good Work!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 29 April 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 05 May 2016

Dear Mr Davnall
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff this lovely feedback. It really does man a great deal to us to hear that your experience of our A&E department was a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play.
I will ensure that you review will be shared with the team who were on duty on Friday 22nd April 2016.
I am pleased that your wound is healing well; hopefully it won’t be too long before you visit Scafell Pike to enjoy more walking.
Take care
Best regards,
Patient Experience

Jenstott gave Maternity services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity care on delivery suite & Honister ward

I wanted to feedback my positive experience at WCH when I went in on 20/3/16 in labour. From the moment of arrival on delivery suite we were greeted by lovely friendly staff & seen very promptly. I found all the staff very quick to respond to requests & my husband also commented they always checked on how he was as well! A special mention has to go to my midwife who was so supportive & made the whole experience so much easier. When we went to Honister ward the staff were also friendly & always on hand to answer questions during the night.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 23 March 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 March 2016

Congratulations to you and your husband on the birth of your baby.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff such a positive review.
It is pleasing to hear that the midwife offered excellent support to you both.
I shall pass your review to the Delivery Suite and Honister Ward so that it can be shared with the teams who will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care that they provide.
With best wishes to your family

laurie driver reviewed West Cumberland Hospital

Accident while away from home

while working away from home I suffered mouth injury, I had to park a 44 ton truck ouside hairmyres a&e, I was seen promptly and politely and treated in a friendly atmosphere, so feeling rather numb and 11 stitches later I didnt even have a parking ticket, it was almost worth the injury to be treated by the staff in a&e, thanks for your effort and expertise,

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 02 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust.
How awful for you that you had an accident whilst working away from home, but, I am very pleased that you had such a positive experience of care.
Can I ask about your mention of Hairmyres A&E?
I know this hospitals location is East Kilbride, Scotland, and you have left this review for West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, Cumbria.
Regardless of the location thank you for giving NHS staff this lovely feedback, it means a great deal to know that you appreciated your care.
With best wishes,

David Segar gave at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Turned away

I was turned away from Whitehaven A&E this Friday night at 9pm. I was told to call 111 as A&E apparently no longer accepts walk-in patients any more. I duly called 111 but was told that despite me being in considerable pain my symptoms did not qualify me to be seen by any one in A&E, even though there were only a few people in the waiting room and the staff were certainly not rushed off their feet.

I was told that my GP surgery will contact me tomorrow, although I don’t see how they can as they will be closed tomorrow as far as I am aware.

I am not sure where to turn now. Perhaps I will just have to call 999 next time and call an ambulance out. Is this the new caring, cost-effective NHS A&E service? Making sure that they limit the number of people they see and keeping the statistics looking good?

This is only the second time I have been to A&E in my nearly 50 years on this planet, so I am not accident prone or keen to rush to hospital at the first sign of a problem.

0/10 from me, I’m afraid. I can’t see how I can give you a higher score, as I wasn’t even seen by a member of the medical profession, just a receptionist. I am still in considerable pain after a wasted 1½-hour return trip to the hospital.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 13 February 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 26 February 2016

Dear Mr Segar,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our website. I am sorry that you had a less than positive experience on evening of Friday 12th February.
I have checked with the reception staff at Accident & Emergency who confirm that they do still have a ‘walk in service’ but that CHOC (Cumbria Health on Call) no longer has this service since the introduction of NHS111.
It would appear that, unfortunately, you attended the wrong area and although the CHOC reception is located within the A&E department the receptionist has not advised you of this.
I am sorry that this happened to you when you were in so much pain, please accept my sincere apologies. Your comments will be passed to the Matron responsible for this area.
Best regards
Alison

Anonymous gave at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

complaint about item found in a&e

Hello, on visiting the a&e department at west cumberland yesterday approx 4.20, (14th feb 16) my daughter in law to be, husband and 2 yr old grandson were sitting waiting for news on my son who had been brought in after an accident.
The grandson got bored so we let him have a run about, as we were sitting near to the back and there wasn't many people in.
He was behind us by the disabled toilet and next to that door was a wooden board with 2 fire extinguishers attached to it, the grandson picked up something from the top of this wooden board and brought it to his mam.
We couldn't believe it, but it was a needle point still encased within a tube, i told mam to take it to the reception desk and show one of the staff exactly what he had just picked up, she did so .
We sat there for news on the son and the member of staff had plenty of time to come over and apologise or say at least something about it, but not a word !
I wanted to ask questions about the cleaning side of things and as to how it could come about that something like that could have been overlooked so easy for any child of any age to have been able to get contact with.
Could someone please respond.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 15 February 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 26 February 2016

Dear Madam
Thank you for your contact via this website.
Finding a needle in such circumstances is clearly unacceptable and I thank you and your family for taking immediate action, to prevent any injury, by handing this to a staff member.
Without further investigation we would not be able to ascertain if this was a breach of our clinical waste policy, or whether this has been left on the top of the fire extinguishers by a member of the public.
Our hospital has a strict policy and procedure in place to ensure the safe collection, storage, transport and disposal of needles and all of our staff are aware of how important this is in protecting everyone from injury.
I understand your concern on ‘what happened next’ and I can only apologise that the member of the reception staff or the A&E manager did not keep you updated or inform you with regards to hospital procedure should an incident like this occur.
Your concerns will be passed to the department so that they can look into this incident further and check on the cleaning schedules in place that afternoon.
Many thanks you help at a time when you and your family would have been stressed and very anxious.
I do hope that your son made a speedy recovery from his accident.

Best regards
Alison
Patient Experience

Sally Walker gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing Staff, kind and reassuring - gastroscopy

I had my first Gastroscopy today. I was incredibly anxious. The staff were amazing, the receptionist at the day case department was really kind and the nurse who looked after me was so reassuring. They were with me most of the time and it was great to have such continuity of care. I was treated so well, taken to the Gastroscopy department to be met by another lovely nurse who reassured me further. My consultant was fabulous, so professional and caring. The nurses during the procedure were supportive and kind. I had mild sedation and the procedure was over before I knew it and wasn't anywhere nearly as scarey as I thought. I was then brought back to the day case department by the same nurse I saw on admission and they kept regular checks on me and then made me some tea and toast which was lovely. The whole experience was faultless. I can't recommend the hospital highly enough. So clean, hygiene standards were first class. (I had both my sons at the hospital 15 and 12 years ago and that experience was fabulous too.) Thanks so much to all involved in my care. I may need to have a gallbladder op in the near future and won't hesitate to come back!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 24 February 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the staff were able to help you when you were scared and anxious about the procedure.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
Best wished for the future