West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Tonicha Davies gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thankyou

Im on holiday in ths area and came in on consecutive nights last week and the staff were veet professional and caring. A traumatic experience was dealt with compassionately. Thank you to the doctors and nurses at work those evenings.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 August 2016

Dear Tonicha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust and for the opportunity to share with the team in Accident & Emergency at West Cumberland Hospital who looked after you.
I am very pleased that the staff were professional and caring. I know the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I hope you are recovering well and are able to enjoy your holiday.
With best wishes,
Patient Experience

Pete Cook gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb care at West Cumberland A&E

I had to attend A&E on Saturday 13 August after breaking my big toe in 6 places. Can I say that the service was first rate. Caring, thoughtful staff who had my interests at heart. I had to return to A&E on the Sunday night for further treatment to relieve a pressure build up in my toe. The staff were absolutely excellent and had me sorted in no time. The staff in A&E are not only a credit to West Cumbria but the NHS in general. Thank you for getting me on the road to recovery. Pete cook

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 17 August 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 19 August 2016

Dear Mr Cook
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent experience of the A&E department at West Cumberland Hospital after breaking your toe. I can only imagine how painful that must have been.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care and attention to be of such a high standard and I will pass your comments to the Matron for the area as I am sure she will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team, especially those on duty on the Saturday 13th August and Sunday 14th August.
I do hope that your toe is continuing to improve and that you are feeling a lot better.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Unit WCH

A big thank you to all the staff who working in the unit on Wed 6th July. I was called to the hospital at two in the morning. My mother was really ill and being on my own I was in a real panic. The staff were really calm and informative and helped me to make my decision to send her to Carlise. Mam was fitted with a pacemaker and is now back at Whitehaven and on the mend. Again thanks.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 14 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 19 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the staff were able to help you when you were scared and anxious about your mother.
The teams are aware how nervous patient’s relatives can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
Best wishes to you and your mam
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Well looked after - Childrens ward

We were on holiday in Centreparcs and my daughter took ill during the night. She was referred by Penrith hospital with a suspected appendicitis. The team were superb from when we arrived in keeping us informed and making sure things were OK. This continued after we left the hospital with follow ups to make sure she was OK. Very impressed at the level of service. In addition, the facilities at the hospital looked very modern.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 25 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the staff were able to help your daughter when she fell ill on holiday. This must have been very stressful for you.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I hope you managed to enjoy what was left of your time at Centreparcs
Best wishes to all the family

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

knee replacement surgery at west cumberland whitehaven

The whole experience, from the first appointment until my discharge after surgery, was a very positive one. I cannot praise enough the whole team from the consultants, anaesthetists and nursing staff. The care and consideration for my individual needs was second to none. Their dedication to all patients on the ward was obvious. Each member of the team exhibited a true professionalism alongside an empathy for each individual patient. This is the first of my two knee replacements and I would not consider attending any other hospital for my second. In fact, I woulld go so far as to say that, if I was told that I had to attend elsewhere I would be very unhappy. Thank you everyone for the excellent care.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 10 August 2016

Thank you taking the time to get in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent surgery at West Cumberland Hospital.
Your comments demonstrate that the' team approach' to care means your patient experience is a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I will pass your feedback to Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
Best wishes,

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at West Cumberland Hospital

Results sent to wrong address

I received a letter for an appointment to attend the Colposcopy clinic, when I arrived the Dr and Nurses were wonderful, attentive and kind. They confirmed my details including my address which was wrong, I corrected and advised it was my old address, I confirmed my new address and stressed that it was important to send any results to my new address. A biopsy was taken and sent away for tests. I called the Hospital after 4 weeks of waiting and was advised it could take up to 6 weeks to receive results. I waited 8 weeks (still no results) and getting more stressed and anxious by the day. I called the hospital again and was advised they couldn't help me and advised me to call Carlisle, I called them and they told me to call Whitehaven, so I called Whitehaven again the next day only to be told they couldn't give results over the phone and the Dr / Consultant was too busy to call me but they would call me the next day. They never did. I received a letter the next day on plain paper (not letter headed) with my old address scored out and my new address handwritten on the copy letter. To say I was upset and disappointed is an understatement. How could this have happened?? Especially when the initial appointment letter was sent to the correct address.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 13 August 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 August 2016

We are very sorry to receive your comments and concerns via NHS Choices/Patient opinion website about your recent clinic experience at West Cumberland hospital.
We take all issues surrounding patient confidentially very seriously and it is disappointing to read that your results must have been sent to the wrong address after the initial appointment letter was sent to the correct address.
The events that you describe about our administrative process are not our usual standard and were clearly very distressing for you; being treated this way is never acceptable.
Without further investigation it is difficult to ascertain what went wrong and due to your anonymity I am unable to look into this any further at the moment.
If you are unhappy with what has happened you have the right to complain.
The PALS team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) can help you through this process or put you in touch with the senior staff members who may be able to discuss your concerns with you.
They can be contacted on
• 01228 814008 between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
We do value your feedback and I will share this with the relevant senior staff.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience resulting from your visit during June, 2016.

Karen gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Credit where credit is due

From my arrival to my discharge on the same day after surgery I cannot praise the staff enough on the day unit. All the staff involved in my care were great!! The nurse, the HCA, the anaesthetist, the theatre nurses and the consultant made me feel at ease and all ensured I fully understood exactly what my op and aftercare entailed. What a great team. Thankyou and keep up the good work.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 10 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very pleased you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you feel. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and fully understand how nervous and anxious patients can be.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the team.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

Allen gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment of injury to my hand

Following an injury to my hand (dog bite) I went to the primary care unit in Workington where I was quickly seen and given antibiotics with advice if it did not get better. Following day the infection was spreading and I went to a&e in Whitehaven where over the next few days they treated the infection including arranging to see the consultant at short notice and arranging the community nurses to come to my home 3 times a day to administer intervenes antibiotics.
Through out this treatment all the staff from the doctors and nurses to the a&e receptionist gave me the best care I could have expected making me feel their top priority even though they were very busy. Even when wait for test results staff not involved in my treatment would stop on their way past and ask if I was ok and needed anything.
You hear my negative stories about the NHS but my experience was the best you could hope for. I have nothing but the greatest respect for NHS staff I met and would like to thank them for expert caring professional treatment I received.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 29 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 30 June 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent experience of Accident and Emergency after sustaining a dog bite.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care and attention to be of such a high standard.
I will pass your comments to the Matron for the area as I am sure she will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to improve from your injury.
Patient Experience

Elizabeth Ann blair gave Endocrine and thyroid surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

West Cumberland hospital is truly a wonderful place

A big thank you to all the staff on the day unit, my care from start to finish was first class everyone was so kind from all the ward staff to the Doctors. I felt it was a privilege to be looked after by so many professional people who treated everyone with Dignity and respect.
West Cumberland hospital and all the staff are five star ?
Elizabeth Ann Blair xx

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 08 July 2016

Dear Elizabeth Ann
Thank you taking the time to get in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent Day Surgery admission.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care in West Cumberland Hospital to be of such a high standard and that you were treated with dignity and respect.
I will pass your comments to the Day Surgery ENT Consultants and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to recover well.
Patient Experience

CHB gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A caring and competent department

My wife was seen twice recently following a fall. On both occasions she was treated quickly and compassionately. We were both involved in any decision-making that was required and were given all the information we required for further treatment, pain-relief and follow-up. Everyone was kind, caring and helpful.
I could not fault the department in any way and, although my review is partially coloured by the fact that my wife has recovered, the clinical skills exhibited at those two visits was excellent.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 29 June 2016

Dear CHB
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of attending our Accident & Emergency department at West Cumberland Hospital with your wife who had suffered a fall.
I am pleased that you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how you felt that you were both treated with kindness and compassion.
The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and that they feel included with all decisions made re treatment, discharge and follow up.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the team.
Best wishes to you both.