West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant hospital.

Can't give praise enough for the NHS and specifically CHOC at Whitehaven hospital. Rang 111 at 7, had an appointment at 9, we were taking to the children's waiting room, away from the main waiting area, seen on time and back out the door with antibiotics at 9:20. All the staff were friendly and kind to me and my 6 year old daughter, the hospital was clean and well kept. What an amazing service!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the 111 and CHOC service were able to help your daughter so quickly and with kindness and efficiency.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to each department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
I hope your daughter is feeling much better now.

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Male Mastectomy

A quick note of thanks to express my gratitude and admiration for all staff who looked after me over the last 36 hours. The operating team under the consulting surgeon were brilliant, expert, and very personable, and a special mention to all the anaesthetic nurse specialists pre op, during the operation and in recovery when it was proving difficult to find a bed on the ward. Thank you also to all on Ward 1 who looked after me for the night and the morning. Discharge was really efficient and I know from experience that the breast nurses in Whitehaven and Carlisle provide a great service. Hopefully I'll get a final all clear when the results come back from histology in a few weeks. Pressures in the NHS are horrendous and I really don't know how staff cope and are able to give patients such a good service. In my case I went from news of a histology scare on Tuesday 10 January to discharge after surgery one week later.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Ken Bradford gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A Successful Operation

It has been five weeks (6th December) since my day surgery TURP at West Cumberland Hospital and it appears to have been very successful. I would like to thank the Consultant and their staff for their professionalism. Thanks are also due to the theatre staff for their professionalism and good humour...they really know how to put patients at their ease. My gratitude also extends to the Manager, staff and receptionist on the day surgery ward for all their support and last, but not least, the staff on Ward 1c for their care, attention and good humour. A very big thank you for a job well done!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 January 2017

Dear Mr Bradford
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our website.
I am very pleased to hear that your recent surgery was successful.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
Your kind comments will be shared with the teams involved in your care. I am sure that they will be delighted to receive your positive feedback.
Patient Experience

Maryann Osborne gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The excellent care in West Cumberland Hospital

From arriving in your car park, to meeting the nurse who took such care of me, the staff and the care I received was excellent . I was so frightened but even your car park security guard was so kind took us to our ward he could see we were a little lost. Dr made me feel safe and in very good hands. Thank you all so very much . I was in on the 28/12/16 at 8.00 am as a day patient.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 30 December 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 January 2017

Dear Maryann
Firstly please accept my apologies for this late reply; your comment has only just appeared on our website.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff this lovely feedback.
It really does man a great deal to us to hear that your whole experience was a positive one.
I will ensure that you review will be shared with the team who were on duty on 28th December 2016.
I do hope that you are recovering well.

James gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Case Unit 11 Dec 2016

I wish to thank everyone involved with the care and treatment of James whilst he was being treated at the Day Case Unit. Prior to his operation, the consultant had contacted us as James, being an adult with autism, was fine and that he understood the procedures and treatment involved. From the moment we arrived, James was dealt with professionally and with dignity. They allowed me to stay whilst he underwent his surgery and recovery. Throughout the process, James was kept informed and all the teams involved were superb. Their sensitivity and approach could not be faulted and we wish to say a huge thank you to everyone on that day. James and his Mum

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 19 December 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. It is particularly pleasing to read that you felt James’s patient experience was dealt with professionally and with dignity, and I am delighted it was so positive.
I will indeed pass on your comments to the team in Day Surgery who were on duty on Sunday 11th December to thank them for their care and sensitivity.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play in the patient’s journey.
With our very best regards to you and your son James.
Patient Experience

Samantha Donovan gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

The Consultant was amazing, and was very caring and took the time to complete the surgery laparoscopic and it would have been much easier to do it though the abdomen. I am very grateful. The staff working with the Consultant were also brilliant.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 02 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 03 January 2017

Dear Samantha
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience via NHS Choices. I will pass your kind comments to surgical team at West Cumberland Hospital who looked after you.
I am very pleased that you found the staff professional and caring. I know the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I hope you are recovering well.
With best wishes for a happy and healthy 2017,

Helen Lord gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Helen Lord - knee replacement

I was admitted to Ward 1 for knee replacement on 1 Dec 2016. I cannot thank the wch enough for the care and treatment I received and after several months of excruciating pain have now been given quality of life back. The treatment and care was second to none. The staff were very caring and professional and the aftercare follow up phone calls have been amazing. I could not have received better treatment anywhere and will not hesitate to recommend wch to anyone who has to undergo the same surgery as myself.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 07 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 10 January 2017

Dear Helen
Thank you taking the time to get in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent surgery at West Cumberland Hospital.
Your comments re ‘ward care’ and ‘after care’ demonstrate that the team approach means your patient experience was a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I will pass your feedback to Matron for the area as I am sure she will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that you continue to be pain free.
With our best wishes for 2017,
Patient Experience

A&E could not have been more helpful and accommodating

What can I say, I am so impressed.. What a difference the new wing has made, to surroundings and I suspect staff moral given a huge boost, given the care and attention I received throughout the whole experience. The receptionist was considerate and helpful. The waiting surroundings clean and comfortable. The triage nurse kind and understanding to my injury. The nurse I saw in A&E was thorough, very pleasant and kind. The radiologist again was very efficient. The diagnosis and discharge with referral to Fracture clinic and aftercare was well informed and discussed. Thank you all so much.. Please do not close this hospital...

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 November 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent visit to the new West Cumberland Hospital, all of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought your care and attention was excellent.
I shall make sure that your comments are shared with the teams involved at A&E, Radiology and the fracture clinic.
I do hope that you are recovering well.
Patient Experience

Kathleen B. gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recommend highly

Admitted to hospital on evening Sunday 13 November after calling ambulance. Was suffering from chest pain. From the person on end of the line, paramedics, A&E staff right through to staff on Emergency Ward. The care & professionalism was faultless. I was put at ease and felt safe. Im sorry I very sorry I don't remember names of all involved but they were simply brilliant, calming caring and professional at what was a scary time.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

Dear Kathleen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team from the paramedics, the A&E staff and ward staff, approach the patients care with professionalism and ease.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day case unit 3rd November 16

I was in yesterday for operation and everyone of the staff on the day case unit were excellent with me and my mam who was waiting around. Would like to say a big thank you to one member of staff who looked after me and to another staff member who's sense of humour kept my spirits up thank you all from Emma

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 04 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 November 2016

Dear Emma,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us through NHS Choices. I am very pleased you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you feel. The team work very hard to ensure patients and their relatives are comfortable as they fully understand how nervous and anxious patients can be when coming in for surgery. I shall ensure your comments are passed to Stacey and Robin. I will also share these with the Matron so that she can share them with the wider team who looked after you on the 3rd November.
Best wishes to you and your mam.
Many thanks