Check here for alerts

West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day case unit 3rd November 16

I was in yesterday for operation and everyone of the staff on the day case unit were excellent with me and my mam who was waiting around. Would like to say a big thank you to one member of staff who looked after me and to another staff member who's sense of humour kept my spirits up thank you all from Emma

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 04 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 November 2016

Dear Emma,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us through NHS Choices. I am very pleased you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you feel. The team work very hard to ensure patients and their relatives are comfortable as they fully understand how nervous and anxious patients can be when coming in for surgery. I shall ensure your comments are passed to Stacey and Robin. I will also share these with the Matron so that she can share them with the wider team who looked after you on the 3rd November.
Best wishes to you and your mam.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

pat gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An Excellent Hospital.

Having suffered some sort of seizure whilst on holiday Saturday 5th November 2016, I was taken to the West Cumberland Hospital, by ambulance from Gosforth. From the start the paramedics were excellent, I was confident in their capability, they were professional, and made me feel that I was in good hands. The staff at the hospital were so caring, and took the time to contact my wife who was unaware of my exact circumstances. All the staff involved in my care whilst I was at the West Cumberland hospital, from the auxiliaries to the Doctors, could not have been more pleasant, professional, or caring. I cannot praise this hospital, or the staff, highly enough. The follow up care really was impressive considering I am not a 'local'. An excellent hospital, with exceptional staff, Cumbria should be proud to have you!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

Dear Pat,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff at West Cumberland Hospital this lovely.
I am very pleased that you are received kind and professional care from the paramedics to the consultants
We know that all our staff work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is appreciated by patients who consider them exceptional.
Take care and best wishes for your continued health.

Anonymous reviewed General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital

Endoscopy Unit.

I had an Endoscopy at WCH on Thursday 10/11/16 and found all the Endoscopy Unit Staff to be very efficient, kind and caring.A huge thanks to everyone, you were all simply marvellous. No way should any services be reduced at West Cumberland Hospital. Yours sincerely Dympna.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 10 November 2016

Dear Dympna,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust and for the opportunity to share this with the team in Endoscopy at West Cumberland Hospital who looked after you.
I am very pleased that the staff were efficient, kind and caring. I know the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
With best wishes,
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E could not have been more helpful and accommodating

What can I say, I am so impressed.. What a difference the new wing has made, to surroundings and I suspect staff moral given a huge boost, given the care and attention I received throughout the whole experience. The receptionist was considerate and helpful. The waiting surroundings clean and comfortable. The triage nurse kind and understanding to my injury. The nurse I saw in A&E was thorough, very pleasant and kind. The radiologist again was very efficient. The diagnosis and discharge with referral to Fracture clinic and aftercare was well informed and discussed. Thank you all so much.. Please do not close this hospital...

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 November 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent visit to the new West Cumberland Hospital, all of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought your care and attention was excellent.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
I shall make sure that your comments are shared with the teams involved at A&E, Radiology and the fracture clinic.
I do hope that you are recovering well.
With our best regards,
Patient Experience

Kathleen B. gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recommend highly

Admitted to hospital on evening Sunday 13 November after calling ambulance. Was suffering from chest pain. From the person on end of the line, paramedics, A&E staff right through to staff on Emergency Ward. The care & professionalism was faultless. I was put at ease and felt safe. Im sorry I very sorry I don't remember names of all involved but they were simply brilliant, calming caring and professional at what was a scary time.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

Dear Kathleen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team from the paramedics, the A&E staff and ward staff, approach the patients care with professionalism and ease.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Gibs gave Ear, Nose & Throat at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely hospital

On my first visit impressed with easy access and parking. Directed by friendly staff to my location. My appointment times were as hoped. No long delays at all. Good patient listening Dr. Who explained in laymans terms my treatment. A good all round prompt attention and prompt referrals. Very reassuring.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Dear Gibs
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your visit to the Cumberland Infirmary and of the staff you encountered.
I am very pleased your appointment times were as hoped and were prompt.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care and shows that everyone has a part to play in the patient experience
I will share your comments with the team and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Best regards
Patient Experience

linzi musgrave gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Attende following a fall

I recently attended A+E following a nasty fall injuring my wrist and ribs. The care l recieved was excellent,all departments from reception to the nursing staff, radiology everyone l came into contact with was totally professional. What did impress me was once l had been put back together was the after care. I was given a follow up appointment for 10days. I was reviewed by the consultant which l was impressed by the whole process. I would like to thank everyone who cared for me. We take our NHS for granted it needs our support in diffecult times.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 November 2016

How awful for you to have received injuries to your wrist and ribs when you fell but thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us with so that you could say thank you to the staff who looked after you.
All of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought your care and attention was excellent.
I do hope that you are continuing to recover well and that the follow up appointment went well.
With our best regards,

Lynda K gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent care

I would like to thank all staff for the care and attention that I received whilst in hospital for a high tibial osteotomy. Special thanks to the nurses on ward 1a who took care of me following surgery, I very much appreciated your care and support during a difficult couple of days.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 05 November 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 November 2016

Dear Lynda
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices about your stay on Ward 1, West Cumberland Hospital.
I will pass your comments to the ward Sister and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
Best regards,
Alison S-D

billy gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

the staff on duty the night of 15/10/16

the staff team i encountered at the a and e wch in whitehaven and the ambulance staff who took me there were really understanding of all of my health conditions and medication. they are really proffessional and down to earth at the same time and due to the fact i have been to a few hospitals in my life i can honestly say that i feel safe and well informed about my care i also feel they are the politest i have come across. i dont think i would be as calm and relaxed at any other medical establishment i just want to say thank from me and my mrs

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 October 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 October 2016

Dear Billy
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent hospital admission, all of the teams involved will be pleased to hear that you thought your care was excellent.
I shall make sure that your comments are shared with the teams involved at North West Ambulance Service and A&E West Cumberland.
I do hope that you are feeling much better.
With our best regards to you and your wife,

fuschia123 gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

surgery on a hernia

i have just spent 3 days in the surgtcal ward and the staff were so caring and helpfull i have a lot of problems and the staff helped so much..The room i was in was kept very clean an dthe meals were good so i would reccommend this hospital

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 October 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very pleased you had such a positive experience on the surgical ward and the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you feel. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the team.
Many thanks