West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Mr Andrew Hamilton gave Endocrine and thyroid surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

High quality standard of patient care, just when you need it

Just left the post op ward after a four day stay where I frankly felt ill and had a lot of pain. The staff were incredibly supportive, kind and helpful and the facilities could not have been bettered, any where, each room providing privacy for you and your family, and a personal shower and toilet that were maintained impeccably. The real success here are the people, all of them from support staff to those with specialised roles, they all work very hard. All go the extra yard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. During my stay, there were staff shortages and the work loads particularly during night shift were demanding. The nurses just got on with it leaving me feeling inadequate in the world of dedication.

You are all highly prized and valued by those of us who have required your skills and dedication, to those of you yet to require the WCH facilities and staff fear not, you will be in very good hands.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

Dear Mr Hamilton,
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Trust via NHS Choices.
It is pleasing to read that you felt the staff at West Cumberland Hospital were supportive, kind and helpful.
All of our staff work incredibly hard to make patients feel comfortable and I am sure they will be delighted to know that is how they made you feel.
I will pass your kind comments to Matron who will be delighted to share them with all of the teams involved in your care.
Best wishes for your continued recovery,

Joanne gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 1A

The care my mother is receiving on ward 1A is outstanding.The staff ,not only are they professional and friendly ,but also hard working.
The enviroment is clean,it is evident that good patient care is priority.
The Sister and their team are a real credit to the hospital and should be commended,they epitomize what Is good in the NHS.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 May 2017

Dear Joanne,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us through NHS Choices. I am very pleased that your mother is receiving outstanding care on Ward 1.
The teams work very hard to ensure patient care is a priority.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the teams who are looking after your mother.
Best wishes to you both and thank you again for such complimentary feedback.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cannot praise high enough

I was taken to Whitehaven hospital via ambulance - the ambulance staff were amazing with me and helped me as much as they possibly could. Once in A&E all staff were very helpful and ensured they could do everything to make me comfortable.

Specialists saw me within half an hour and were able to stop the complications quickly. The after care and care on the ward was exceptional, I could not believe the level of care as all you hear is bad reviews usually.

Thankyou to all the staff for helping me, if we had left it later the complications could have been much worse.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff this lovely feedback. It really does man a great deal to us to hear that your experience of our A&E department was a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play.
With best wishes

Edna Harper gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement 28th April 2017

I was admitted to WCH to have a knee replacement on Friday 28th April 2017 as you would expect I was apprehensive but from the minute I walked onto the Day Unit to be admitted I was reassured the staff where lovely, friendly and welcoming. This carried on when I went into theatre and then when I went into recovery. As I had a spinal anaesthetic I was conscious throughout and can remember virtually everything. I was then placed on Ward 1A where the care I received from all staff, day and night, was exemplary nothing was to much trouble if I pressed the buzzer for anything someone came and sorted it, I was never made to feel a nuisance even though sometimes I only wanted someone to 'put my leg in bed' which I felt awful having to ring for. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff from senior staff to cleaning staff everyone had the same pleasant manner nothing was to much trouble even though it was obvious they were busy. I would recommend WCH to anyone with care like I received there is no reason to go anywhere else.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 08 May 2017

Dear Edna
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease. I am very pleased that you are received kind and professional care and that you found all staff supportive.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the teams involved who were working on the 28th April 2017.
Best wishes
Patient Experience

L heppell-bell gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very impressed

I was admitted for day surgery to hav my collarbone fixed with a possible over night stay due to not being able to get in to Carlisle hospital for quite sometime I opted to make the 2hour travel here and it was quite possibly the best decision I made. This was my first operation and from start to finish I was made to feel at ease you should be so very proud to have staff as caring and dedicated as the ones u have from the pre op care who explained everything so thoroughly, to the surgical team who recognised how scared I was and were so lovely to me, the recovery team who couldn't have been more caring and happy to put up with me babbling, the nurses on ward 1 were absolutely lovely and caring who took the time to chat, the physio who checked in before and after op to explain thoroughly how to do my exercises when I got home, and of course my surgeon for putting me back together. The rooms were extremely clean and they could not have made me feel any better than they did so I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to all involved in my care. U made what was a scary time for so much easier.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 28 March 2017

Dear L Heppell-Bel
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your pre-operative care and your experience of Day Surgery, West Cumberland Hospital
I am pleased that the staff were able to help you when you were scared and anxious about the procedure.
I shall forward your kind comments to the department and to the Orthopaedic team so that they can be shared.
I am sure that they will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care and information that they provide.
Thank you for giving us the option to share these comments with the team.
I do hope that your shoulder is continuing to improve.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day case unit and surgery

I was admitted to the day case unit on 14th of March for shoulder surgery and have nothing but praise for the hospital and staff. From being greeted by the receptionist to having my bag carried out at then end of the day was faultless. I was looked after primarily by a staff member who took time to reassure me and make sure I understood how the day would work. This was reinforced by my surgeon and their team who ran through everything with me reassuring me all the way. The staff in theatre and recovery were just as helpful, reassuring and supportive. The room I was in was immaculately clean. While I hope I don't need surgery again, if I did I would be happy to undergo it with these people again. Thank you to them all.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to Day Surgery. I am very pleased that your ‘named nurse’ gave you reassurance about the day’s proceedings and that the surgical team were also supportive.
Your comments will be shared with the teams involved and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Gilli reviewed West Cumberland Hospital

My mother was admitted to Ward 1A at West Cumberland Hospital for a total hip replacement In February. She was very impressed with her care. and the professionalism of all the staff. She commented that the ward was exceptionally clean and the food was very good. Her consultant was very pleasant and very professional. She was delighted with her swift recovery, Her after care progress phone calls from the specialist nurses were welcomed and well timed. My mother felt very well cared for from start to finish. As a specialist nurse myself I have been extremely impressed with the level of care she has received from start to finish.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 21 March 2017

Dear Gilli
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers experience of Ward 1, West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very glad to hear that she was impressed with her care and that the staff she encountered were pleasant and professional.
I shall forward your kind comments to the matrons and management of the various specialities and departments you mention so that they can be shared with the teams who will be delighted to know that both you and your mother appreciated the care they provide.
With best wishes for your mothers continued recovery.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Hernia Operation

I had a pre operatiom assessment at Cockermouth Community Hospital on the 5th of Jan. 2017, and was given an operation date of 7th of February. On the 6th of February an 5.26pm I had a phone call to say, once again (previous procedure) that my 'notes' had been lost and there was some doubt of the operation proceeding. As I live at Brampton I was hesitant about driving to Whitehaven on a wasted journey. At nine thirty on the 7th I received a call from Whitehaven suggesting that the operation could, indeed, go ahead with no notes as long as I was agreeable. I was met at Whitehaven by a staff member who could not have been more helpful in getting things organised. The Consultant and their anaethsetist were reassuring in the extreme and it was very pleasing to fine that West Cumbrians have a good sense of humour!, especially the theater staff! A very good experience, as these things go almost missed by the disgraceful lack of paperwork which has not yet surfaced!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I am very pleased you had such a positive outcome on the day of your planned surgery and that you found the staff to be helpful and reassuring. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable, and I am sure they will be delighted to hear how they made you feel.
Please accept my sincere apologies about the lack of paperwork and ‘lost notes’. These shortcomings are of obvious concern to me and I will make sure that our senior managers are aware of the situation that surrounded your planned admission.
I do hope that you are recovering well.
Many thanks,

A&E - A huge improvement

Having posted a negative review some years ago, I thought it only fair to mention our recent positive experience.

Bringing a young child to A&E is a stressful experience and anything that can be done to minimise the trauma is welcomed. The new hospital now has a separate A&E waiting area for children - it was clean and far enough away from the main waiting area to be calm.

We were seen straight away at reception and shown through to this paediatric waiting area. We were fortunate that this was a quiet time, and were seen quickly. The nurse and doctor were very reassuring and the care provided was very good.

I sincerely hope that this hospital keeps its full A&E unit. A half hour drive to hospital with a child in real pain is long enough.. An hour to Carlisle (more in heavy traffic) would be difficult to tolerate, and we may feel obliged to call an ambulance instead. Removing or downgrading A&E from this hospital may well be a false economy, as it would with consultant-led maternity.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for getting in touch with us with here on NHS Choices with a review of the West Cumberland Hospital’s children’s A&E service.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the staff positive and your child’s care to be of such a high standard. The staff will be pleased to hear that you thought the location of the paediatric waiting area helped to induce some calm to what can be a very stressful experience.
I will pass your comments to the Sister and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the team.
Best wishes for the future.

Excellent

A huge thank you to all the staff in the A&E and around about. From the paramedics, to the receptionists, doctor, and nurses. Everyone was so helpful, friendly, and sympathetic. I wasn't involved directly, but even the parking warden was so sympathetic towards people who perhaps weren't able to get out and renew a parking ticket. We're just all so luck to have such a wonderful team of people working there.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our A&E department at West Cumberland hospital. I am very pleased that you found everyone to be helpful, friendly and sympathetic.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care and shows that everyone has a part to play in the patient experience
I will share your comments with the team and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Best regards