West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Hernia Operation

I had a pre operatiom assessment at Cockermouth Community Hospital on the 5th of Jan. 2017, and was given an operation date of 7th of February. On the 6th of February an 5.26pm I had a phone call to say, once again (previous procedure) that my 'notes' had been lost and there was some doubt of the operation proceeding. As I live at Brampton I was hesitant about driving to Whitehaven on a wasted journey. At nine thirty on the 7th I received a call from Whitehaven suggesting that the operation could, indeed, go ahead with no notes as long as I was agreeable. I was met at Whitehaven by a staff member who could not have been more helpful in getting things organised. The Consultant and their anaethsetist were reassuring in the extreme and it was very pleasing to fine that West Cumbrians have a good sense of humour!, especially the theater staff! A very good experience, as these things go almost missed by the disgraceful lack of paperwork which has not yet surfaced!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I am very pleased you had such a positive outcome on the day of your planned surgery and that you found the staff to be helpful and reassuring. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable, and I am sure they will be delighted to hear how they made you feel.
Please accept my sincere apologies about the lack of paperwork and ‘lost notes’. These shortcomings are of obvious concern to me and I will make sure that our senior managers are aware of the situation that surrounded your planned admission.
I do hope that you are recovering well.
Many thanks,
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E - A huge improvement

Having posted a negative review some years ago, I thought it only fair to mention our recent positive experience.

Bringing a young child to A&E is a stressful experience and anything that can be done to minimise the trauma is welcomed. The new hospital now has a separate A&E waiting area for children - it was clean and far enough away from the main waiting area to be calm.

We were seen straight away at reception and shown through to this paediatric waiting area. We were fortunate that this was a quiet time, and were seen quickly. The nurse and doctor were very reassuring and the care provided was very good.

I sincerely hope that this hospital keeps its full A&E unit. A half hour drive to hospital with a child in real pain is long enough.. An hour to Carlisle (more in heavy traffic) would be difficult to tolerate, and we may feel obliged to call an ambulance instead. Removing or downgrading A&E from this hospital may well be a false economy, as it would with consultant-led maternity.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for getting in touch with us with here on NHS Choices with a review of the West Cumberland Hospital’s children’s A&E service.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the staff positive and your child’s care to be of such a high standard. The staff will be pleased to hear that you thought the location of the paediatric waiting area helped to induce some calm to what can be a very stressful experience.
I will pass your comments to the Sister and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the team.
Best wishes for the future.

Excellent

A huge thank you to all the staff in the A&E and around about. From the paramedics, to the receptionists, doctor, and nurses. Everyone was so helpful, friendly, and sympathetic. I wasn't involved directly, but even the parking warden was so sympathetic towards people who perhaps weren't able to get out and renew a parking ticket. We're just all so luck to have such a wonderful team of people working there.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our A&E department at West Cumberland hospital. I am very pleased that you found everyone to be helpful, friendly and sympathetic.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care and shows that everyone has a part to play in the patient experience
I will share your comments with the team and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Best regards

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Male Mastectomy

A quick note of thanks to express my gratitude and admiration for all staff who looked after me over the last 36 hours. The operating team under the consulting surgeon were brilliant, expert, and very personable, and a special mention to all the anaesthetic nurse specialists pre op, during the operation and in recovery when it was proving difficult to find a bed on the ward. Thank you also to all on Ward 1 who looked after me for the night and the morning. Discharge was really efficient and I know from experience that the breast nurses in Whitehaven and Carlisle provide a great service. Hopefully I'll get a final all clear when the results come back from histology in a few weeks. Pressures in the NHS are horrendous and I really don't know how staff cope and are able to give patients such a good service. In my case I went from news of a histology scare on Tuesday 10 January to discharge after surgery one week later.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 January 2017

I am very sorry to hear that you have had recent surgery, but thank you for taking the time to share your patient experience with us whilst you are still recovering from it all. It must be quite an anxious time for you.
I am very pleased that you received kind and professional care and found the staff supportive. We know that they work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is recognised and appreciated by patients.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the team.
With very best wishes for your continued recovery.
Patient Experience

PatriciaG661 gave Rehabilitation at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Whole hospital puts patients second

Several trips to the physiotherapy team for rehabilitation left me in debt due to the very high car park charges and the uncaring enforcement of tickets and payments. As a result, a 10 minute delay in being seen, which was often, resulted in fines having to be paid. The hospital says it cares about patient choices however this is not evident. There was no option on what was provided or how it was provided. I was not encouraged to ask questions or share views. I felt like a burden. However, the medical staff were very capable but felt they could touch any part of me at any time without consent. When I did object they said they assumed I had given consent. All very unsatisfactory and uneasy. They all need to take time and put the patient ahead of money or process.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 22 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 23 January 2017

Dear Patricia
Thank you for sharing details of your recent visits to West Cumberland Hospital for physiotherapy treatment. It clear that your treatment, and parking fines, have left you feeling unhappy.
I have checked with the Physiotherapy department and they have assured me that the events you describe re consent are not their usual practice as they have a robust consent procedure in place. They apologise that you felt uneasy and ask that I pass on their sincere apologies at this time.
If you believe you have received treatment you did not consent to then you have the right to complain.
If you would like this matter followed up please contact the Patient Experience team at CPFT (Cumbria Partnership Foundation Trust), who can help you through this process or put you in touch with the senior staff members who may be able to discuss your concerns with you.
Free phone : 0800 633 5547
Landline : 01228 608257
Email : PET@cumbria.nhs.uk
Car parking at both hospital sites has been under review for quite some time now. It was acknowledged that the parking crisis was adding to the stress and anxiety felt by patients. In order to ensure the safety of everyone who uses the hospital, the car parking rules that have always operated onsite, are now being enforced.
The Parking Charges are issued by UK Parking Control (UKPC) and once issued; they cannot be withdrawn or cancelled by the Trust or its PFI partner. Appeals can be made through UK Parking Control and the process is detailed on the Parking Charge (the appeals process document can be accessed on the Trust’s website at http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/car-parking.aspx ).
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for your stressful experience.
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

First time in ambulance to a&e

Swift, efficient caring response from ambulance service to west Cumberland hospital a&e dept. Doctor, nurses xray staff friendly and caring. Dept very clean. Although no rooms available for couple of hours I was not left alone on the trolley in the corridor and once seen by doctor various tests etc carried out at a stressful and anxious time felt in safe hands. We need all services at this hospital not services reduced or removed.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 22 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 23 January 2017

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent experience of the North West Ambulance Service and West Cumberland Hospital’s Accident and Emergency department.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care and attention to be of such a high standard and that you felt safe.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the departments as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
Please accept our very best wishes for your continued recovery.

Kazspro gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Top class care

I attended for a partial knee replacement on 20th January 2017. The whole experience was amazing from start to finish. Everything was checked and explained thoroughly by each person who was involved in my treatment and in fact after my epidural I was so relaxed I fell asleep naturally throughout my op!!! The staff on Ward 1A were brilliant they were friendly and very professional in their care and nothing was too much trouble. I would also like to thank the infection control nurses who got me sorted immediately when I developed an infection several days after I returned home. I rang them at 10.30am and was seen as a priority at Cumberland Infirmary at 1.30pm the same day by my surgeon who was genuinely concerned that I had the misfortune to get an infection and could not do enough to help. A big thank you to everyone you were all first class

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 03 February 2017

Dear Kazspro
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust and for the opportunity to share with the team in Ward 1 at West Cumberland Hospital who looked after you.
I am very pleased that the staff were friendly and professional in their care. I know the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I will also pass your kind comments to the infection control team who were able to help you after you developed an infection.
I hope you that you are recovering well now.
With best wishes,

Brilliant hospital.

Can't give praise enough for the NHS and specifically CHOC at Whitehaven hospital. Rang 111 at 7, had an appointment at 9, we were taking to the children's waiting room, away from the main waiting area, seen on time and back out the door with antibiotics at 9:20. All the staff were friendly and kind to me and my 6 year old daughter, the hospital was clean and well kept. What an amazing service!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the 111 and CHOC service were able to help your daughter so quickly and with kindness and efficiency.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to each department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
I hope your daughter is feeling much better now.

James gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Case Unit 11 Dec 2016

I wish to thank everyone involved with the care and treatment of James whilst he was being treated at the Day Case Unit. Prior to his operation, the consultant had contacted us as James, being an adult with autism, was fine and that he understood the procedures and treatment involved. From the moment we arrived, James was dealt with professionally and with dignity. They allowed me to stay whilst he underwent his surgery and recovery. Throughout the process, James was kept informed and all the teams involved were superb. Their sensitivity and approach could not be faulted and we wish to say a huge thank you to everyone on that day. James and his Mum

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 19 December 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. It is particularly pleasing to read that you felt James’s patient experience was dealt with professionally and with dignity, and I am delighted it was so positive.
I will indeed pass on your comments to the team in Day Surgery who were on duty on Sunday 11th December to thank them for their care and sensitivity.
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play in the patient’s journey.
With our very best regards to you and your son James.
Patient Experience

Samantha Donovan gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

The Consultant was amazing, and was very caring and took the time to complete the surgery laparoscopic and it would have been much easier to do it though the abdomen. I am very grateful. The staff working with the Consultant were also brilliant.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 02 January 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 03 January 2017

Dear Samantha
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience via NHS Choices. I will pass your kind comments to surgical team at West Cumberland Hospital who looked after you.
I am very pleased that you found the staff professional and caring. I know the staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments.
I hope you are recovering well.
With best wishes for a happy and healthy 2017,