West Cumberland Hospital

Telephone: 01946 693181
Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

GORDON reviewed Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital

Lack of an x -ray left my wife with a fractured spine.

The staff did not want to x-ray my wifes lower back.Stating that she did not have a fractured pelvis because there was no blood in her urine.After an accident in turkey. They picked up a fractured spine of the fourth vertebrae.This proved to be an old injury.After the injury we paid out money to have physio . I think we are very lucky that she is not in a wheel chair.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 01 August 2014

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Michael gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My father admitted to A&E then ITU

My father admitted to A&E then ITU
On 25th June my father, who was suffering from a chronic respiratory desease, collapsed at home. Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, revived him and then rushed him into A&E, after which he went up to ITU. My father's partners called me in London as the paramedics were reviving him. I started a long journey north, calling ITU as I went. I arrived late that night to find him unconscious and on life support in ITU. He died the following day. The reason for this note is to praise the medical and nursing staff in ITU. On my first call to them they noted my details and movements and handled that and subsequent calls with great sensitivity and professionalism. We were allowed to be at the bedside for as long or short as we wished and throughout we were briefed fully and honestly on the condition of my father. I can't speak highly enough of the staff in ITU West Cumberland.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 31 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A&E reception would embarrass a Third World hospital

Arriving at A&E with a child screaming out in pain, the two people idly chatting behind the glass screens of reception ignored us entirely, and the obvious distress of our child. He could have been dying for all they knew, or cared. They ignored us for a total of 10 minutes before a receptionist could be bothered to speak to us.

Perhaps they were on a break. Perhaps they worked in another department and were just there for a chat, but they demonstrated a serious lack of humanity that has no place in a hospital.

Once checked-in, we felt that the triage nurse and the doctor we eventually saw, acted with skill and compassion, but we found the experience in reception to be quite shocking. No doubt A&E reception have to put up with all kinds of troubled people and difficult situations, but no amount of that justifies ignoring genuine human suffering while having a chat.

I am absolutely disgusted by our treatment at West Cumberland.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 27 July 2014

Debra gave Ophthalmology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Outpatient private appointment- eye clonic

I was referred by my optician - all staff other than consultant I saw were fine . Consultant who did not even introduce himself spent several minutes looking at my notes - then quick examination and I was basically told what I could only say was a total dismissive manner 'nothing wrong with your eyes' take this to reception .. I tried then to ask if I could ask a question as my optician thinks I could have macular degenerative decease - I however did not get this far as although he said I could ask a question irregardless of whether I was private or Nhs the manner in which he spoke told me he really could not be bothered . I then was told that I should actually change my optician - I have total faith in my optician so basically said this and the consultant then relooked at who had referred me and still advised I change my optician. My optician also tried then to follow up and I believe got the same treatment only worse than me. What amazed me was the true lack of respect for the patient and also for members of his own profession. I believe the scan actually did show drusens - so now will have another opticians appointment and then if necessary another referral at own cost - truly unsatisfactory .
I appreciate the stress of consultants however what sometimes they may not also realise is that others in other professions also may experience stress- I work each week out if the country and to take a day put as I own my own company can in itself cost me a lot of money and catch up time - I now may have to go through this again ......and also experience morworry ...

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology Department

The nurse's in this department are fantastic, very professional but approachable, can not fault them at all. The rheumatoid nurse specialist nurses kept me in touch with my treatment, which was more than my own GP did. They work in an old hospital which is sadly being neglected.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us about your recent experience of our rheumatology service at West Cumberland Hospital, I will pass on your comments to the team who will, I am sure be delighted to know that their care was so well received. The teams strive to deliver the best possible care at all times, so it is great to have this feedback.
All staff within the Trust are looking forward to the opening of our new hospital in 2015, which is currently under construction on the existing hospital site. There is much activity “behind the scenes” in preparation for this, and we are keenly anticipating the new state of the art facilities which will be included in our new clinical areas. As you can imagine, this has involved significant investment for the Trust , and we have tried to strike an appropriate balance of maintaining the existing building while developing the new. We are confident that the new premises will offer a much improved environment for patients and staff alike. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!
With best regards
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Great care, so sad that the hospital was very very dirty.

Fantastic care all round, couldn't fault the staff in any way! But.. A dirty tissue in the corner of the lift was still there 24 hours later. The floor of the Patterdale ward near the bed was dirty with thick dust and bits under the bed. Wondered if the cleaners where on strike??

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 19 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 22 July 2014

Than you for contacting us regarding your recent experience in Emergency care at West Cumberland Hospital, I am pleased to hear that you found the care to be of such a high standard.
I am sorry to hear your comments regarding cleanliness on the day of your visit; this is not our usual standard. Thank you for drawing it to our attention, I will ensure that this is addressed.
With best wishes for your on going recovery
Regards
Patient Experience

Keith Gibson reviewed Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital

Unplanned Admission

I went to WCH at about 2015 on Thursday 10/7/2014 with severe chest pains, admitted to A&E, and cared for faultlessly. Ongoing heart attack was diagnosed, and I was transferred to Carlisle by ambulance and had a stent fitted and was on the recovery ward before midnight!
Absolutely first class, and fantastic co-operation between WCH, ambulance service and Cumberland Infirmiary.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 22 July 2014

Dear Mr Gibson
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent care at our West Cumberland and Carlisle Hospitals . I am delighted that you found the care to be so well coordinated , and satsfactory, it must have been a worrying time for you.
I am sure that the teams would want to join me in sending good wishes for your on going recovery
Regards

Ally gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Overwater 2 - wonderful

Admitted as elective surgery April/May. Despite a mix up over the ward I was originally admitted to (expeditiously dealt with by the friendly nurse on Skiddaw Ward) I can honestly say the care and treatment I received was outstanding. From the cleaners to consultants, every staff member treated my fellow patients and I with warmth, compassion, dignity & respect even though their work loads were phenomenal. I was particularly grateful to the healthcare assistants for their kindness.
The theatre staff were supremely efficient and considerate and the anaethetist and his team were first class (no after effects at all).
The consultant was a personable and patient gentleman, tolerantly addressing my concerns and always respectful during the examinations before going the extra mile in surgery (thank you again). Having been unlucky to have an unusual illness I consider myself very fortunate that there was such an experienced and skilled surgeon locally.
I don't think I can ever fully express how grateful I am to the staff involved in my care but nevertheless, thank you :)

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 06 July 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

Dear Ally
Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us about this recent experience.
I am so delighted that you found the care to be of such a high standard by all staff in the teams that you encountered , and hope that you have had a successful outcome and good recovery .

I will ensure that the team are made aware of your comments, I am sure that they will be very graified to know that the standards of care to which they aspire were so evidently met .

Many thanks again
Best wishes for you on going recovery

Mz gave Respiratory Medicine at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Paterdale and honistor ward

I was admited to hospital on the 3rd of march after going to my doctors with sever shortness of breath and chronic pain in my ribs i was on paterdale ward and the quality of care was amazing it was very stressfull been in when you can barely breath but all the staff kept me calm and dealt with the treatment and care telling me what was happening all the way threw my stay on this ward and treating the lung infection i had,i then was transfered to honister and had the same amazing care of all the staff there for the month i was in. I would like to say a great big thank you to all the staff on both wards that looked after me they are all one in a million

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 12 June 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent experience at West Cumberland Hospital . The teams will be very pleased to hear this positive feedback about thier care.
With best wishes for your on gong recovery
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

one word awful

My father aged 90 was admitted to jenkin ward after 10 hour wait in casualty. Total miscommunication ageism at its finest. Awful experience from start to finish.
Father lost nearly 1 stone in 2 weeks. Staff couldnt care less and no they wernt busy just couldnt be bothered.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 10 June 2014

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 17 June 2014

I am so sorry to hear of this . The standard that you describe is not typical .
I will draw this to the attention of the teams to see what lessons can be learned.
In the meantime you are welcome to get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team at the West Cumberland Hospital to explain your experience in more detail, so that we can better understand the situation. You can reach the PALS team on 01946 523818 .
With kind regards and thanks for getting in touch