West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cannot praise high enough

I was taken to Whitehaven hospital via ambulance - the ambulance staff were amazing with me and helped me as much as they possibly could. Once in A&E all staff were very helpful and ensured they could do everything to make me comfortable.

Specialists saw me within half an hour and were able to stop the complications quickly. The after care and care on the ward was exceptional, I could not believe the level of care as all you hear is bad reviews usually.

Thankyou to all the staff for helping me, if we had left it later the complications could have been much worse.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff this lovely feedback. It really does man a great deal to us to hear that your experience of our A&E department was a positive one.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your comments
Your comments demonstrate the whole team approach to care where everyone has a part to play.
With best wishes
Patient Experience

L heppell-bell gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very impressed

I was admitted for day surgery to hav my collarbone fixed with a possible over night stay due to not being able to get in to Carlisle hospital for quite sometime I opted to make the 2hour travel here and it was quite possibly the best decision I made. This was my first operation and from start to finish I was made to feel at ease you should be so very proud to have staff as caring and dedicated as the ones u have from the pre op care who explained everything so thoroughly, to the surgical team who recognised how scared I was and were so lovely to me, the recovery team who couldn't have been more caring and happy to put up with me babbling, the nurses on ward 1 were absolutely lovely and caring who took the time to chat, the physio who checked in before and after op to explain thoroughly how to do my exercises when I got home, and of course my surgeon for putting me back together. The rooms were extremely clean and they could not have made me feel any better than they did so I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to all involved in my care. U made what was a scary time for so much easier.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 28 March 2017

Dear L Heppell-Bel
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your pre-operative care and your experience of Day Surgery, West Cumberland Hospital
I am pleased that the staff were able to help you when you were scared and anxious about the procedure.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I shall forward your kind comments to the department and to the Orthopaedic team so that they can be shared.
I am sure that they will be delighted to know that you appreciated the care and information that they provide.
Thank you for giving us the option to share these comments with the team.
I do hope that your shoulder is continuing to improve.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day case unit and surgery

I was admitted to the day case unit on 14th of March for shoulder surgery and have nothing but praise for the hospital and staff. From being greeted by the receptionist to having my bag carried out at then end of the day was faultless. I was looked after primarily by a staff member who took time to reassure me and make sure I understood how the day would work. This was reinforced by my surgeon and their team who ran through everything with me reassuring me all the way. The staff in theatre and recovery were just as helpful, reassuring and supportive. The room I was in was immaculately clean. While I hope I don't need surgery again, if I did I would be happy to undergo it with these people again. Thank you to them all.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to Day Surgery. I am very pleased that your ‘named nurse’ gave you reassurance about the day’s proceedings and that the surgical team were also supportive.
Your comments will be shared with the teams involved and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Gilli reviewed West Cumberland Hospital

My mother was admitted to Ward 1A at West Cumberland Hospital for a total hip replacement In February. She was very impressed with her care. and the professionalism of all the staff. She commented that the ward was exceptionally clean and the food was very good. Her consultant was very pleasant and very professional. She was delighted with her swift recovery, Her after care progress phone calls from the specialist nurses were welcomed and well timed. My mother felt very well cared for from start to finish. As a specialist nurse myself I have been extremely impressed with the level of care she has received from start to finish.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 21 March 2017

Dear Gilli
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers experience of Ward 1, West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very glad to hear that she was impressed with her care and that the staff she encountered were pleasant and professional.
I shall forward your kind comments to the matrons and management of the various specialities and departments you mention so that they can be shared with the teams who will be delighted to know that both you and your mother appreciated the care they provide.
With best wishes for your mothers continued recovery.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Hernia Operation

I had a pre operatiom assessment at Cockermouth Community Hospital on the 5th of Jan. 2017, and was given an operation date of 7th of February. On the 6th of February an 5.26pm I had a phone call to say, once again (previous procedure) that my 'notes' had been lost and there was some doubt of the operation proceeding. As I live at Brampton I was hesitant about driving to Whitehaven on a wasted journey. At nine thirty on the 7th I received a call from Whitehaven suggesting that the operation could, indeed, go ahead with no notes as long as I was agreeable. I was met at Whitehaven by a staff member who could not have been more helpful in getting things organised. The Consultant and their anaethsetist were reassuring in the extreme and it was very pleasing to fine that West Cumbrians have a good sense of humour!, especially the theater staff! A very good experience, as these things go almost missed by the disgraceful lack of paperwork which has not yet surfaced!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I am very pleased you had such a positive outcome on the day of your planned surgery and that you found the staff to be helpful and reassuring. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable, and I am sure they will be delighted to hear how they made you feel.
Please accept my sincere apologies about the lack of paperwork and ‘lost notes’. These shortcomings are of obvious concern to me and I will make sure that our senior managers are aware of the situation that surrounded your planned admission.
I do hope that you are recovering well.
Many thanks,

A&E - A huge improvement

Having posted a negative review some years ago, I thought it only fair to mention our recent positive experience.

Bringing a young child to A&E is a stressful experience and anything that can be done to minimise the trauma is welcomed. The new hospital now has a separate A&E waiting area for children - it was clean and far enough away from the main waiting area to be calm.

We were seen straight away at reception and shown through to this paediatric waiting area. We were fortunate that this was a quiet time, and were seen quickly. The nurse and doctor were very reassuring and the care provided was very good.

I sincerely hope that this hospital keeps its full A&E unit. A half hour drive to hospital with a child in real pain is long enough.. An hour to Carlisle (more in heavy traffic) would be difficult to tolerate, and we may feel obliged to call an ambulance instead. Removing or downgrading A&E from this hospital may well be a false economy, as it would with consultant-led maternity.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for getting in touch with us with here on NHS Choices with a review of the West Cumberland Hospital’s children’s A&E service.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the staff positive and your child’s care to be of such a high standard. The staff will be pleased to hear that you thought the location of the paediatric waiting area helped to induce some calm to what can be a very stressful experience.
I will pass your comments to the Sister and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the team.
Best wishes for the future.

Excellent

A huge thank you to all the staff in the A&E and around about. From the paramedics, to the receptionists, doctor, and nurses. Everyone was so helpful, friendly, and sympathetic. I wasn't involved directly, but even the parking warden was so sympathetic towards people who perhaps weren't able to get out and renew a parking ticket. We're just all so luck to have such a wonderful team of people working there.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our A&E department at West Cumberland hospital. I am very pleased that you found everyone to be helpful, friendly and sympathetic.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care and shows that everyone has a part to play in the patient experience
I will share your comments with the team and I am sure that they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback.
Best regards
Patient Experience

Chris Walsh gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent A+E Service

Had occasion to visit A+E in the evening of Sat 18th March, with my elderly mother following some sort of collision/fall she had in her home.

Would like to thank all the staff, reception, nurses and doctor for their caring attitude and efficiency, particularly the doctor for their determination in continuing checks until they could find some likely underlying cause for my mother loss of recollection of the fall.

Many thanks Whitehaven

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 21 February 2017

Dear Mr Walsh
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mother’s recent experience of the accident & emergency department at West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very sorry that she suffered a fall and can only imagine how stressful that must have been for her and all the family.
It is pleasing to hear that you found the care and attention from all staff to be of such a high standard and I will pass your comments to the Matron as I am sure she will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that your mother’s health is continuing to improve.
Best wishes for the future.
Patient Experience

bryan forrester gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment

I had to attend for a colonoscopy and was very worried and nervous. That was until I met the duty nurse, in the endoscopy department. They had a lovely calming manner and answered all my questions and allayed my fears. Nothing was too much trouble and I would like to personally thank them for everything they did for me. I went in for the procedure and because of the nurse's detailed explanation of what I was about to go through , I was calm and reassured.
The team who carried out the procedure were polite, professional and informative and kept me abreast of what was happening and explained every detail.
All in all the treatment was second to none and I fully believe that I could not had better treatment even if I had went private and paid for it.
Ist class and thank you all.
Best regards
Bryan Forrester

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 09 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of attending our Endoscopy department at West Cumberland Hospital.
I am pleased that you felt able to ask questions and that the answers made you feel calm and reassured. This obviously made for a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how you felt.
The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and that they feel included with all decisions made re treatment, discharge and follow up.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the team.
best regards.

Berridge gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

MRI scan marked as 'urgent' by consultant

What is this Hospital's actual definition of 'urgent'? Three weeks for an MRI marked as urgent by the consultant would appear to be the definition. The appointment was confirmed only after numerous calls to the radiology department! If I had just sat back and waited for a letter in the post I wonder whether how long it would have taken.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 14 March 2017

Thank you for your contact via this website.
Please accept my apologies that the appointment for your MRI scan was not appointed as quickly as you were expecting it to be and that you felt you had to chase it up by calling the Radiology department more than once.
I understand how frustrating this must have been for you when you were feeling anxious about an urgent request.
I have checked with the Principal Radiographer at West Cumberland Hospital but due to the anonymity of your comment (and not being able to look at the request form concerned) it is difficult to investigate this further at this time.
I was however informed that the average length of wait for a request marked urgent would normally be 2 – 3 weeks.
If you are unhappy with your care, or the timing of your planned investigations, you have the right to complain.
The PALS team (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) can help you through this process or put you in touch with the Principal Radiographer at West Cumberland Hospital who may be able to discuss your concerns with you.
They can be contacted on 01228 814008 between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies on the stress that this has caused you.
With best regards,