West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Peter Barnes gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Staff

I've just been to Whitehaven hospital for an appointment and can not speak more highly of the level of care I received, in particular the Senior Nurse who was extremely proffestional, knowledgeable and caring, and involved me in all aspects of the treatment and seamed to go out of their way to make sure I received the best care. The ward was full and was hectic but everyone seamed to be getting on with their job giving the highest level of care that they could. I nothing but admiration for the Nures of West Cumberland Hospital.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 19 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience.
The nurses work really hard to provide a level of care they would like their relatives to receive and they will be delighted with your comments.
I will pass them to the Matron for A&E and she will share them with the team.
Many thanks

David gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Radiology CT Experience

It is no secret, the reputation of the NHS in Cumbria presently leaves something to be desired so it was with some apprehension and with quite low expectations that I attended yesterday for an investegative CT scan.
It s because of my low expectations prior to yesterdays experience that I am making these comments. - I could not have been more wrong in those expectations.
The whole process from appointment admin. through to conclusion of the procedure was handled in the most efficient, friendly and professional way. But additionally and without exception, all of the staff that I encountered were pleasant of demeanor, patient, sensitive to my situation and needs and most of all, friendly and gave the impression of being truly engaged with their purpose. In this regard I would mention specifically the CT Nurse. These perhaps seem unimportant aspects of the process but truly,from the patient's perspective they make all the difference.
Well done Whitehaven and thanks.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 27 January 2016

Jacky Holliday gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy department

Just returned from a very apprehensive visit to West Cumberland Hospital. I was apprehensive due to a distressing previous encounter with the Endoscopy department at Carlisle. I was immediately put at ease by the nurses and was kept informed throughout the procedure by the consultant. This department was spotlessly clean and very well organised. I would gladly return for any further treatment and will definitely recommend to my family and friends. Thankyou to all involved, my faith in the Nhs may well have been restored.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 27 January 2016

Anonymous reviewed Rheumatology at West Cumberland Hospital

Top class consultant

I recently attended an appointment at the Rheumatology clinic with the doctor and I must say that they are one of the nicest medical people I have ever met. They have a wonderful manner, making you feel at ease, explains things thoroughly in laymans terms and is also a good and patient listener- A credit to the hospital!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Jane Allport gave Respiratory Medicine at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

No complaints from me

I was in hospital for 10 days with pneumonia in December 2014. The respect I got from staff and doctors was very good. The care was excellent and the food was much better than I had experienced at other times.
I am constantly at clinics in different departments and the staff are approachable, friendly and helpful - Vascular surgeon, ear, nose & throat, Diabetic clinic and respiratory clinic.

My husband was in hospital for 4 weeks during December 2015. He was treated in the new hospital for acute liver and kidney failure and the care and attention he received was more than excellent. The doctor was happy to answer any questions we had and explained candidly what his condition meant for the future. We were very grateful for his time.
The cleanliness was excellent and the food was very good (when he was well enough to eat it).

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 28 January 2016

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Carol Berry gave Stroke services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Telephone

My partner is in Gable ward. I rang this morning, my 7.30 call was answered immediately but when I rang back at about 11.00 I did not get a reply for 5 minutes, so hung up and dialled again, but again it was a couple minutes before a reply and then put on hold to the ward, nothing from the receptionist to say sorry the ward is busy will try again - not interested at all. If you were a firm like I used to work for, solicitors, accountants, estate agents, we were told off if we didn't answer the phone after two rings.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 11 December 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am sorry you were kept waiting on the telephone. The ward clerk for Gable does answer the telephone as soon as possible whilst dealing with issues on the ward too. I have passed your comments to the Matron for the area as it is unacceptable there was no apology offered for your wait and Matron will share your comments with the ward staff.

I do hope your partner is now recovering well.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital

Telephone cintact

I attempted to contact A&E a few minutes ago. After phoning the hospital twice and both times my call was ended before being answered, at the third attempt I got through and was then put through.
My mother, was admitted yesterday by ambulance service. I am phoning from Western Australia. My brother said she is to be moved to a surgical ward but after thirty minutes of trying to get to speak to someone regarding my mother, I gave up.
I accept that A&E is necessarily a busy place but surely there is a ward clerk who can provide a brief update. I am bitterly disappointed. Hoping patient care is rather better than your administration.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 13 December 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 16 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am very sorry you had such a difficult time contacting A&E at West Cumberland Hospital. I have asked the Manager for the department to see if there was a specific problem on that day and will be happy to feedback to you if you will let me have your contact details.
I can be contacted within the complaints team at Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
I do hope your mother is recovering now.

Anonymous gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional care

We came in with an emergency on Christmas Eve. The team from a&e and the Aspen ward couldn't have been more helpful and considerate . A truly inspiring group of people.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 25 December 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 04 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust.
The staff will be delighted you had such a positive experience particularly as it must have been upsetting to be in hospital as an emergency

I hope you are now recovering well and I wish you all the very best for the New Year.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynae surgery ward A1

I had a two night stay in the new hospital recently for a hysterectomy. From beginning to end my experience was A1 and the doctors and nurses were amazing and very caring and considerate. My surgeon was provided fantastic care pre and post op, and had a gentle and caring manner. The nursing and health care staff were brilliant making me feel at eas the whole time nothing was too much trouble. They also provided fantastic support to my family and were flexible with visiting hours and they put them at ease.

The facilities were the best I could have ever have wished for immaculately clean and pristine with comfortable bed and brand new linen.

There's always a lot of negativity about west Cumberland but this has been nothing but the best care for me. Well done!!

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 28 November 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 December 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. The staff will be thrilled to hear how well your stay was.
They are pleased to be in the new hospital and to know they have provided such a high level of service will be very encouraging for them.

I will ensure your comments are shared with all the staff and will send them to the Matron who will cascade them.
I hope you are recovering well

Anonymous gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

telephones

been waiting on the phone to main switchboard for well over 2 minutes. No reply.
Disgraceful performance at first contact.
Bored receptionist answered after 2.5 minutes.
Put through to dept. Another bored reply. As a patient I would not want to be treated like this.
As a Dr's receptionist I would never treat a patient like this.

Get the basics right= Enough staff. The right staff.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 20 November 2015

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 07 December 2015

I am so sorry you were kept waiting so long. I can understand how you were upset and disappointed with this
I will pass your comments to the manager for the service to share with the staff

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your experience

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust