West Cumberland Hospital

01946 693181 Homewood, Hensingham , Whitehaven, CA28 8JG

Anonymous gave Cardiology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Unit WCH

A big thank you to all the staff who working in the unit on Wed 6th July. I was called to the hospital at two in the morning. My mother was really ill and being on my own I was in a real panic. The staff were really calm and informative and helped me to make my decision to send her to Carlise. Mam was fitted with a pacemaker and is now back at Whitehaven and on the mend. Again thanks.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 14 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 19 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the staff were able to help you when you were scared and anxious about your mother.
The teams are aware how nervous patient’s relatives can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
Best wishes to you and your mam
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Well looked after - Childrens ward

We were on holiday in Centreparcs and my daughter took ill during the night. She was referred by Penrith hospital with a suspected appendicitis. The team were superb from when we arrived in keeping us informed and making sure things were OK. This continued after we left the hospital with follow ups to make sure she was OK. Very impressed at the level of service. In addition, the facilities at the hospital looked very modern.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 25 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
I am pleased that the staff were able to help your daughter when she fell ill on holiday. This must have been very stressful for you.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I hope you managed to enjoy what was left of your time at Centreparcs
Best wishes to all the family
Patient Experience

Allen gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment of injury to my hand

Following an injury to my hand (dog bite) I went to the primary care unit in Workington where I was quickly seen and given antibiotics with advice if it did not get better. Following day the infection was spreading and I went to a&e in Whitehaven where over the next few days they treated the infection including arranging to see the consultant at short notice and arranging the community nurses to come to my home 3 times a day to administer intervenes antibiotics.
Through out this treatment all the staff from the doctors and nurses to the a&e receptionist gave me the best care I could have expected making me feel their top priority even though they were very busy. Even when wait for test results staff not involved in my treatment would stop on their way past and ask if I was ok and needed anything.
You hear my negative stories about the NHS but my experience was the best you could hope for. I have nothing but the greatest respect for NHS staff I met and would like to thank them for expert caring professional treatment I received.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 29 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 30 June 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent experience of Accident and Emergency after sustaining a dog bite.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care and attention to be of such a high standard.
I will pass your comments to the Matron for the area as I am sure she will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to improve from your injury.
Patient Experience

Elizabeth Ann blair gave Endocrine and thyroid surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

West Cumberland hospital is truly a wonderful place

A big thank you to all the staff on the day unit, my care from start to finish was first class everyone was so kind from all the ward staff to the Doctors. I felt it was a privilege to be looked after by so many professional people who treated everyone with Dignity and respect.
West Cumberland hospital and all the staff are five star ?
Elizabeth Ann Blair xx

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 08 July 2016

Dear Elizabeth Ann
Thank you taking the time to get in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent Day Surgery admission.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care in West Cumberland Hospital to be of such a high standard and that you were treated with dignity and respect.
I will pass your comments to the Day Surgery ENT Consultants and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to recover well.

Karen gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Credit where credit is due

From my arrival to my discharge on the same day after surgery I cannot praise the staff enough on the day unit. All the staff involved in my care were great!! The nurse, the HCA, the anaesthetist, the theatre nurses and the consultant made me feel at ease and all ensured I fully understood exactly what my op and aftercare entailed. What a great team. Thankyou and keep up the good work.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 10 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very pleased you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how they made you feel. The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and fully understand how nervous and anxious patients can be.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the team.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

CHB gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A caring and competent department

My wife was seen twice recently following a fall. On both occasions she was treated quickly and compassionately. We were both involved in any decision-making that was required and were given all the information we required for further treatment, pain-relief and follow-up. Everyone was kind, caring and helpful.
I could not fault the department in any way and, although my review is partially coloured by the fact that my wife has recovered, the clinical skills exhibited at those two visits was excellent.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 29 June 2016

Dear CHB
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of attending our Accident & Emergency department at West Cumberland Hospital with your wife who had suffered a fall.
I am pleased that you had such a positive experience and the staff will be delighted to hear how you felt that you were both treated with kindness and compassion.
The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and that they feel included with all decisions made re treatment, discharge and follow up.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to Matron so that she can share them with the team.
Best wishes to you both.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

great staff

my mam came into hospital last week for a new knee, the staff where fantastic on ward one . my mam has dementure and she has a job in remembering where she is or what exercises she had to do ,the staff where great with her they wrote down the exercises for her and reasurred her all the time. Staff done a great job of making me feel that she was in good hands .

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 06 May 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your mothers experience of surgery and her stay on Ward 1, West Cumberland Hospital.
I am very glad to hear that you found her care to be of such a high standard.
It is pleasing to read that the staff took the time to write down the exercise instructions and reassured her so that she felt safe.
All of our staff work really hard to provide this level of care and they will be delighted with your feedback.
I will pass your comments to the team on Ward 1 and the Matron for surgery as I am sure they will be delighted to share your review with their colleagues.
Best wishes to you both.
Patient Experience

Ken Bradford gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident and Emergency Support

During May, I have needed to visit your A and E department on three occasions for a urine retention problem (too much information). The professionalism, kindness and good humour of your doctors, nurses and reception staff on each occasion was superb. I would like to thank each of those involved in my care for their help and support. A marvellous team!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 May 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 25 May 2016

Dear Mr Bradford,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give our staff in Accident & Emergency this lovely feedback.
I am very pleased that you received kind and professional care on each visit (during May) and found the staff supportive. We know that they work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is recognised and appreciated by patients.
With best wishes

Elaine Jack gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery

From the arrival to the day case reception to my departure at 7:30 ish I was absolutely bowled over by the professionalism and care I received - I couldn't have been treated any better .The ward is bright and clean and the staff from the receptionist student nurse to the ward manager and theatre staff were excellent and a credit to the hospital.I have recently moved to the area so had no idea what to expect but I was so impressed and feel that this positive experience has already made me feel better. Well done to all.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 15 April 2016

Dear Elaine,
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your recent Day Surgery admission.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the new hospital environment to be of such a high standard.
I will pass your comments to the Day Surgery Orthopaedic Consultants and the Matron for the area as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with their wider team.
I do hope that you are continuing to enjoy your Lake District location.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care at West Cumberland

I had a fast access outpatients appointment at the hospital. I was seen promptly and all the staff were brilliant. They reassured me, they listened, explanations were very clear and they were very caring. The only problem I had was finding out where maternity was. It 30 minutes walking around the 2 hospitals getting different directions from anyone we met. Apart from that it was a very good experience. Thank you.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 16 April 2016

West Cumberland Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust. I am really pleased you had such a positive experience. All of the staff work really hard to provide a level of care and they will be delighted with your comments. I am sorry however that you had difficulty finding the department and that the directions given to you were poor. Perhaps we need to look at our signage more closely to prevent this happening again…
We appreciate your feedback and I will pass it to Matron for Outpatients so that she can share it with the team and I will also send this to the Estates department so that they can investigate the signage between both parts of the hospital.
With thanks and best wishes