Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

West Cumberland Hospital

Telephone: 01946 693181
Address: Homewood, Hensingham, Whitehaven, CA28 8JG
Website: http://www.ncuh.nhs.uk

Susan Tindall gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A big thank you

Today, Tuesday 7th July 2015, my Dr. referred me to A&E with suspected bleeding in my stomach. Within 10 minutes, an ambulance arrived and I was attended by two very professional,efficient and extremely pleasant crew-a paramedic and a medical technician. I was immediately put at my ease while my blood pressure and heart rate were monitored as we drove to the hospital.
On arrival at the hospital, I was immediately taken to a cubicle by a welcoming and very reassuring Sister who continued to monitor my progress, checking on me at very regular intervals. The Dr. was equally friendly and reassuring and took great care to explain what was happening.
I had various blood tests and the results were processed very quickly. A nurse then phoned my husband to say I was ready to come home, without further treatment .
I cannot thank the staff enough for all their kindness, courtesy and professionalism.
Susan Tindall

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Benjamin Bryden gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Efficient and brilliant!

This hospital gets a lot of bad press but based on my experience the other day I cannot see why!
I fell off my bike and got mild concussion. An ambulance arrived about 8 minutes after being phoned. The two ambiance staff were absolutely fantastic. I can't thank them enough. They calmed me and my parents down and reassured us extremely quicky while remaining calm as well as explaining what had happened and telling us what they would do at the hospital.
At the hospital I was attended to straight away. The doctor and nurse in A and E were also fantastic. They got on with the job while chatting informally to keep me calm. And told me what to do over the next few days to aid my injury as well as issuing me with a booklet.
I can't thank all of the staff involved enough. They couldn't have been better.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 12 July 2015

Anonymous reviewed West Cumberland Hospital

MRI scan

Why do I have to make an appointment to have a spine scan at my local hospital only after I have seen an expert in either Newcastle or Manchester, a round trip of 130 miles if only I could organise the transport? Is this really what NHS choice means- to choose to get some help at some impossible to access hospital or choose to ignore the reminders to make some appointment that can't be kept?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 16 July 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at West Cumberland Hospital

Choose and book appointments

I have been referred to Gastroenterology. I tried to 'choose and book' online and was given four choices of hospital...West Cumberland Hospital, Workington Community Hospital, Cumberland Infirmary or Hexham. There were no appointments available at any of the hospitals in Cumbria. My " choice " was Hexham. Why are there no Gastroenterology appointments in Cumbria?

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 12 June 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Lynda Kindleysides gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't fault any of my care

I returned home yesterday after a Tibial Osteotomy I could not fault the care I had received, their caring and professional attention was wonderful, despite the extra pressure of having to move the orthopaedic ward to another part of the hospital. I am so absolutely amazed by the kindness and support given to all the patients and very grateful that there are such wonderful hard working people to care for us in times of need.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 08 June 2015

GarethC gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Thank you Overwater!

Admitted for day surgery. After a long day for self and wife - the operation, will it, won't it take place? taken down to theatre at 7.30pm. Day hospital closed at 8pm. Therefore had to stay overnight. Much rearrangement of beds at 10.15pm. Taken to Overwater ward. Night and day staff superb, thank you to the staff for your care and consideration.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 10 June 2015

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 1 stars

out patient appointment fracture clinic

Went for a review appointment about my fractured elbow and soft tissue damage today. The receptiomist and nurses and radiographer were brilliant can't fault them at all. The consultant i saw contracted themselves on numerous occasions didn't listen to a word i said and totally ignored any concerns i had.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Domino12 gave West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy (urgh)

This was the second endoscopy I have had at the West Cumberland and both times the staff have been superb, explaining everything answering my questions (when I didn't have a tube stuck down my throat)

As someone who is transgender, I was reat with the utmost respect and in the gender I prefer to be, from the moment I entered the hospital my name tag was changed to suit my prefered name, which I thought was really nice of them.

I was not made to wait for anything and there was no procedural or care issues, I was in, paperwork sorted, the explaination of what was to happen, the procedure and then discharged, if only other places where as efficient and pleasent. I actually enjoyed the visit as much as you can in a hospital, and felt like I was a person

I will argue with anyone who says the staff from top to bottom (exception of one porter months ago who I think has an issue, thats their problem) are not anything but superb at the West Cumberland

Thanks to everyone on the endoscopy ward

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

West Cumberland Hospital has not yet replied.

Domino12 gave Accident and emergency services at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident & Emergency Cardiac problem

Firstly I must praise the surgery staff at work and the NHS Ambulance staff, before I got to A&E
Rushed in to A&E in a anxious state appologising constantly from work with pains in chest,
I was recieved and seen to within minutes of arriving by some of the nicest nursing staff I've had to meet, everyone done their best to alay my fears that I was about to die (though I tried to joke about it I was scared)
The staff are efficient but still caring and will answer all questions you have, including explaining what the ECG mean't
I went in really scared but came out thinking relieved
The staff were just great even when dealing with difficult patients (not me)
The are respectful to everyone and make you know you are in the best hands, you do not have any thoughts about their skill and ability
They really are a nice bunch of people who just want to help you
Thanks

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

Maurice Dutton gave Urology at West Cumberland Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Stay on Overwater 1

Was only expecting to stay overnight but due to a complication it was stretched to three days. The ward staff were absolutely fantastic....the Trust may be in "special measures" but the staff on this ward are very "special" indeed...I was looked after as though I were royalty nothing was to much trouble...well done to all concerned. The food was also of a great standard considering the number of meals that need preparation.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 16 May 2015