Chapel Allerton Hospital

Address: Chapeltown Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 4SA
Website: http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Dads treatment

My 81 year old father had appointment on 13 / 8 /14 for what turns out to be a cancerous tumour on his head, ( a big hideous looking nasty tumour), he was told it would be treated as an emergency and he would be contacted by phone and letter with regard to an operation. I rang on Tues 19 th spoke to a secretary who informed me shed be ringing him to let him know and would send a letter. Its now Friday 22nd so rang again and spoke to a secretary who I found to "not have the greatest customer care skills." She said shed sent him a letter today for an operation 4 / 9 / 14, I asked if he could be phoned as promised (81 yr old man, on his own, worrying, tumour on his head etc) she informed me quite bluntly he d been sent a letter! I challenged the timing as the operation will be over 3 weeks also I don't think 3 weeks is particularly urgent for something thats growing more horrible by the day, (and perhaps spreading?) and was told again quite bluntly its the first available appointment.

His original appointment just for a consultation was for September but I fought this and got it brought forward - luckily.

I aren't sure this is all really good enough or urgent enough. But I suppose he is my dad. However the NHS customer care tut tut tut ......

Steve

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 22 August 2014

Chapel Allerton Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent experience of the Dermatology Department at Chapel Allerton Hospital. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the poor experience you and your father encountered. I will ensure that the Matron is made aware of your comments, however I am also concerned about the timeliness of the appointments which does not sound in keeping with our cancer policy on the information you have given.

If you would please contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 2067168 or email patient.relations@leedsth.nhs.uk it will help us to investigate this in more detail.

Scott
Senior Nurse Patient Experience

Julie Oxtoby reviewed Dermatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital

Parking

The parking is absolutely shocking, got there 20 before my appointment time but was still late as there were no parking spaces...this needs to be addressed!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

danielle gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

is this a private hospital ?

this hospital could easily be mistaken for private

ive been attending 2 years now and the service ive received is outstanding the staff are like friends they genuinely care the Consultant and my nurse are amazing - i havent had the easiest journey and in fact still arent well manged medically but not because they arent trying they couldn't do enough for me the staff on C2 are fantastic ive never been on a ward where the staff are so fantastic the atmosphere is so friendly i truly believe the NHS should send all their students to this hospital to see how to do the job well as chapel allerton have got it perfectly right, meals fantastic its so clean and the doctors and nurses bedside manner is fantastic.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 19 August 2014

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Massive thank you to the rheumatology dept

I have been attending the rheumatology dept at this hospital since the beginning of 2012 and have had nothing but good experiences. All of the staff are polite, helpful and friendly. I have had very successful treatment for my condition and cannot thank everyone enough at the hospital for giving me my life back.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Shannon gave Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ultrasound department

Had a steroid injection a week ago, during an ultrasound on my hip. The two docs were brilliants on advice and the assistant was brilliant and caring. Cannot praise them enough for their support while having the injection.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

caroline gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

left knee replacement

11 days on from LKR, doing well. During my stay I cannot praise the nursing/care staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble for them. In regards to food this was expected-OK, nothing to write home about. Found the hospital clean and with it being quite small it had a nice atmosphere.
The one thing I was surprised about was the limited time I spent with the physiotherapists. On the day after my operation I was expecting and dreading a torturous length of time with them, this was not the case. Don't get me wrong, they watched me walk and showed me the exercises I needed to do but time spent with them was very brief.
Overall, the care I received was excellent and I would recommend this hospital to anyone.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 03 August 2014

Exmouth gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An excellent Orthopaedic Unit

I had an operation on my shoulderas a day patient on 1st July as a day patient upon my shoulder.
From entering the Unit I was warmly greeted & made to feel at ease. All aspects of my operatin were once again thoroghly explained and the Pre Op staff were pleasant cheerful and helpful. The Post Op care was tremendous and the staff were also cheerful and pleasant and you could see that they worked well together, yet retained a good proffesional standards, yet were so caring.
This is my second visit to this Unit and it has retained the same excellent attributes as last year, including a spotlessly clean Ward.
The Consultant, his Registrar and Anaesthetist were approachable and very caring too.
My sincere thanks to all the staff

Rhona Smith

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

Chapel Allerton Hospital replied on 07 August 2014

Dear Rhona Smith

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It was lovely to hear that you had such a positive experience at Chapel Allerton Hospital. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the staff involved in your care.

With kind regards

Lisa
Senior Nurse Patient Experience

Heather Oates gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely outpatients departments

As someone who hates hospitals i can honestly say Chapel Allerton was a refreshing change. Some Leeds hospitals have a very gloomy feel this hospital is very cheery. I have never been an in patient but the out patients Rheumatology and skin departments were very clean and happy. The staff are very polite and helpful. Even the small cafe at the front of the clinics does not feel like a hospital. The rooms are light not dark and the place feels more modern than some Victorian Leeds hospitals. Also and most important of all my care has been second to non and my auto immune illness treated very well. I have felt in control of my treatment. The scans are also quickly done no long waiting times. I would and have recommended this hospital to friends and family.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 23 June 2014

Chapel Allerton Hospital replied on 21 July 2014

Dear Heather Oates

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your experience of the Outpatient Departments at Chapel Allerton Hospital. We were very pleased to read that you were so happy with the hospital environment and the care you received. We have forwarded your comments to the staff in the Rheumatology and Dermatology Outpatient Departments.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology dept is excellent

I attend rheumatology regularly and always found the majority of the staff friendly, caring and companionate.
However, the reception staff on the whole are badly in need of retraining.. Unhelpful, rude, uncaring. There are some admin staff who are lovely but only one or two.
The appointment system badly needs an overhaul as well. When a patient needs seeing in 4 weeks, 8 weeks is unacceptable. And don't even talk about a 4 month appointment!! I had to wait nearly a year for a follow up!

Back to the good points though. A special mention to my consultant, yes I have had to see other drs but she was around when needed. Also saw me with no notes when admin staff 'Lost' my appointment after 6 cancellations on their side.
Another shout out to the nursing assistant who is the most cheerful, comforting person there. She needs a medal.

Physio and podiatry also are excellent and the hydrotherapy pool is clean and the staff are amazing.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 06 June 2014

Chapel Allerton Hospital replied on 18 June 2014

Thank you for posting your comment. We are very sorry to hear that your experience of the Rheumatology Department at Chapel Allerton Hospital has not always been positive and we will pass your comments on to the department. If you would like to discuss the issues in person and confidentially please contact the Trust's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 2067168 or email patient.relations@leedsth.nhs.uk.

Patiant gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely disappointing when you turn to Dr for help.

I agree with the previous comment. First off didn't get to see the consultant who was named on any referral letters. Dr i did see then goes out to ask the boss for advice ? The Boss being a consultant rheumatologist. Surly we want to see a consultant rheumatologist not feel we are getting second best ?. They gave no diagnosis and no idea what is wrong, very disappointing.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 29 May 2014

Chapel Allerton Hospital replied on 18 June 2014

Thank you for posting your comment. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. A member of the clinical team would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you on an individual basis. If you would like to discuss this further please contact the Trust's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 2067168 or email patient.relations@leedsth.nhs.uk.