Chapel Allerton Hospital

(0113) 2623404 Chapeltown Road , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 4SA

Judith bailey gave Dermatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Mohs procedure for BCC day surgery

I was referred to the dermatology department at chapel allerton from the faciomaxillary team at York at the end of 2016. My appointment to see a consultant to discuss treatment came promptly. At my appointment I was given a full and detailed explanation of my particular clinical problem and, having had the available appropriate treatments explained, I felt my opinions on the options were fully listened to, when deciding on a course of treatment.I was very fortunate to be offered a cancellation appointment for treatment at a days notice which I gladly took. My procedure was delt with extremely efficiently and with a kind and caring manor from all the staff involved, I was kept fully informed throughout the procedure.I have subsequently had my follow up appointment, and again, I have been immensely impressed by the minor/day case dermatology department.thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 13 January 2017

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 17 January 2017

Dear Judith
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Your post is wonderful to read and I am extremely pleased that you had such a positive experience from our Dermatology service.
I have passed your kind words on to the Business Manager for Dermatology who I know will be delighted to know that they are delivering a level of service that met your needs and fulfilled your expectations.
With kindest regards

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Painful experience at X-ray department

Came to the X-ray department in January for an MRI. Clearly the staff were going off duty. They never introduced themselves or asked me my name. When I asked if the injection would make my shoulder pain worse they said "oh it'll probably make it feel better" (i had to have dye injected into my shoulder) they never asked if I had a condition that would make it difficult for me to lie on my front (I do) then they injected me without giving me any warning! When I shouted out, clearly in pain the person giving me he injection asked if it hurt!!!!! The injection was going into the bone, of course it hurt! I felt that I was an inconvenience to the staff who clearly just wanted to get off shift. Look I know I needed the MRI to help with a diagnosis and in the end it was for my benefit but I feel the staff were very dismissive towards me. They hurt me (physically) and did not in any way try to allay my fears. They were abrupt and uncaring. It has put me off going to further appointments at this hospital. The whole experience has left me feeling traumatised as well as an increased pain in my shoulder. So much for it feeling better! Not happy chapel Allerton, not happy st all!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 January 2017

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 17 January 2017

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I am very sorry to read that you had such a distressing time whilst in our care; the level of service that you have described is not what we wish to offer.
I have passed your comments onto the Manager for Radiology at Chapel Allerton hospital for information regarding the issues that you have raised.
It would be very beneficial for our services and for future patients if you could discuss the matters you have raised further with our Trust’s Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS). This would also allow us look into the matters you have raised more thoroughly.
Please call our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 206 6261 or alternatively email patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net

William smith gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total knee replacement

I would just like this opportunity to say a great big thank you to everyone who contributed to my care during my recent stay. Thank you to my surgeon anethitists, nursing staff physios,porter, catering and cleaning staffs. Everyone was so kind and the care was outstanding ,may I also praise the choice and quality of food as excellent. Definitely a 5 star hospital.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 18 December 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 21 December 2016

Dear William
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us with your wonderful comments
I have taken the liberty of sharing your words of support and encouragement with the Trauma and Orthopedic Team at Chapel Alleton Hospital who will be delighted to know they delivered the care that met all your expectations.
Once again please accept my sincerest thanks for your kind words.
With kind regards

Valerie gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional service

I visit this hospital quite often as I go round Rheumatology and Orthopaedics, have had numerous x rays, ultrasound and MRI's, and have found all staff to be most obliging at all times. Have also been in Physio. I find all departments well organised and staff very friendly. and the Consultants very respectfull. I like this hospital enormously.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 18 February 2017

John Dowgill gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cuff Shoulder Repair

A big thank you to all the staff at Chapel Allerton Hospital especially Ward C3 for the wonderful treatment, before and after my operation, nothing was too much trouble. x

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Joanna gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Impressive Outpatient clinic for Orthopaedics.

Actually got in my appointment 40minutes earlier than due. Really nice Surgeon who explained everything and gave me a choice of treatment and booked in the very next week. Wow! Then sent to pre-assessment and was a very slick production line with pleasant staff who again explained all. I am impressed and reassured to go in next week for my surgery.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 15 November 2016

Shannon Dunford, PALS Officer, Patient Experience, PALS, Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 21 November 2016

Thank you for providing this positive feedback about the experience you have had whilst using our services. We have passed your comments onto the relevant area who I am sure will be very happy to receive them.

Anonymous reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

Information regarding opening hours.

My GP told me to attend the X-ray department. I looked on the website to find the opening hours for the X-ray department. Under the heading; 'Departments and Services', there is no mention that there is an X-ray department at the hospital - so no way to find out the opening times. Ok, back to the old way. I telephoned the number for the hospital and the operator told me that they did not know the opening hours for X-ray, but would put me through to the department. the line was busy and they asked if I would hold. I said yes, but after an interminable wait, eventually gave up - my only telephone is a pay as you go mobile, that gives me a limited amout of time for calls each month - certainly not enough to waste time in this manner. My point is; how difficult would it be for the switchbord operator to have a list of the opening times for departments and clinlics? It is absurd that simple information that could be easily given at the first point of contact (the switchboard) is not available. It is equally absurd that staff in the relevant departments waste valuable time giving out times of opening. Finally, a suggestion - put the various opening hours (including visiting hours) on your website, and save us all time and frustration.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 05 December 2016

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I am very sorry to read that you had such a poor experience trying to contact the X-ray Department at Chapel Allerton Hospital.
I have forwarded your comments to our Communication Team for their information.
kind regards

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Patients deserve to be treated as people

Why is it seemingly so impossible to allow patients to have a letter summarising what was said at their appointments? After an appointment over a month ago I am still waiting for a letter to summarise what was said. This is not mentioning the fact that so far three referrals have been made, two of which are completely unnecessary. (I'm wondering if any more are in the offing that I haven't been told about.) IIf the consultant had listened to what I was saying, the consultant would have known that two of the appointments were unnecessary. Not only this, but the consultant then prescribed medication which was unsuitable because of one of my conditions, yet I know that I told the consultant about it. If the NHS is going to carry on complaining about lack of resources, perhaps it would do better to ensure that the people working for it actually listened to what the patient was saying rather than what they wanted to hear. The consultant spoke of one referral - I pointed out that the referral wouldn't do any good as my GP had already tried to refer me to the place in question and they weren't taking any referrals from outside the area (which I wasn't in). "Oh, no matter - they'll listen to us." Yet a letter arrived, last week, explaining why the referral has been rejected again. Exactly the same reason as last time. I am distinctly unimpressed with the systems in place at the moment. Until you start treating patients with more respect & understand that actually they may know a little more about their own conditions than you do from a twenty minute appointment, then the situation won't improve and you'll carry on losing money which could easily have been saved.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 05 December 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 07 December 2016

Dear Anonymous
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
I am so sorry to hear about the problems you have encountered with the communication you have received from our service.
I would be happy to look into the matters you have raised, unfortunately, there is not enough information included in your post for me to investigate your concerns further, I would therefore ask that you contact our Trust’s Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) if possible at your earliest convenience.
This would allow us look into the matters you have raised and contact the relevant management and ask them to contact you to discuss your concerns in more detail. This would also allow us to see what lessons we could learn from your poor experience.
Please contact our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 206 6261 or alternatively email patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net
Many thanks

Lynn gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Oustanding treatment and care provided

On arrival at Chapel Alllerton Hospital to undergo a Unicompartmental knee replacement I could not have wished for any better care from the surgeon and their team and that of the Anaesthetist and nurse. The consultant could not have done anymore to make me comfortable both before and during the operation as my request was for no general anaesthetic or sedation. I felt amazing after the operation and the nurse in the post operation ward was lovely and caring. There were staffing issues the following day on the ward and we (the patients) were told they were short staffed. The care provided during my stay was exceptional. Thank you.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 30 November 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 07 December 2016

Dear Lynn
Thank you for taking the time to write to us with all your kind comments.
I am very happy to read that we were able to make you feel comfortable throughout your stay with us.
I have taken the liberty of sharing your words of support and encouragement with the orthopedic department at Chapel Allerton who will be exceptionally pleased to know that they delivered the care that met your expectations.
Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
With kind regards

shower reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

Trying to cancel diabetic eye screening test

For 3 days prior to my appointment I have been trying to cancel my appointment for the diabetic eye screening test due to domestic reasons. I have tried phoning the number on the letter countless times and always kept hanging on for a very long time until I have had to hang up. I have also tried other numbers and got put through to the same time wasting system. I have had two texts reminding me of the appointment which gave me an unobtainable website number, I have also tried numerous other NHS website numbers none of which gave me an option to cancel. The texts will not take reply calls. Unless I can find someone to stand in for me at home I shall have to fail to go to the hospital and so cost the NHS the amounts stated in the text. Why not make your telephone answering service more acceptable to cancellation calls and so save the NHS money in the long run?

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 19 October 2016 using Patient Opinion