Chapel Allerton Hospital

(0113) 2623404 Chapeltown Road , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS7 4SA

bella 2 reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

Disrespectful treatment at Rheumatology outpatients Chapel Allerton Hospital Leeds

On a number of occasions I have been spoken to in a very disrespectful way by staff in this department. One professor in particular was quite intimidating towards me as they seemed to take objection to me raising genuine concerns.
In my opinion some staff in the department need to be reminded that times have moved on. Patients have a right to raise concerns and not have their treatment made worse because of it - this, sadly, was my experience.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Intimidating staff member and poor care

I raised several genuine concerns about my treatment. The response to this has been that my treatment worsened. Staff have been at best defensive. One professor actually walked in to my consultation with a junior doctor and started criticising me for raising these concerns. They then became quite intimidating and annoyed saying they understood I was going to make a complaint which was not the case. I was very upset and shaken up as I suffer from anxiety and depression. When I was sitting upset in the waiting room after this a person came up and asked if the professor had upset me and that I was not alone the same person had been very insensitive and upset their friend recently. . It is a shame because some of the staff are very kind but they are let down by those who do not listen nor show compassion

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 September 2016

LTHTpatient reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

I was diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma on my nose at Pinderfields in...

I was diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma on my nose at Pinderfields in Wakefield and referred on to the dermatology team on Ward C4 at Chapel Allerton Hospital for specialised Mohs micrographic surgery, which is only offered in specialist centres.
Naturally I was apprehensive about this on the day of my surgery, even though I had met the surgeon previously and they had explained the procedure and what to expect very well.
On arrival Dr welcomed me and within five minutes I had been taken down to the treatment room. All the staff introduced themselves by name and went to great lengths to put me at my ease and keep me chatting throughout the examination, local anaesthetic and the procedure itself.
The carcinoma was removed relatively quickly and one of the advantages of the Mohs procedure is that a microscope is used to check to ensure all the cancerous cells had been removed from the root, so this was reassuring to hear.
I then spent some time in the recovery room with a bandage on the wound, before being brought back in for the repair surgery. Again Dr explained the options very well, as I could have either had a skin graft or a flap repair using a cut from my forehead to the base of my nose. After listening to their advice on the likely best cosmetic appearance, I opted for the flap repair.
Once again the team kept me comfortable and chatting to distract me from the local anaesthetic and helped keep the ordeal of the procedure - which necessitated quite a large number of stitches - to a minimum.
I'd particularly like to thank one of the nurses on the unit, who very patiently helped me with controlling a small but persistent bleed after the operation, and a week afterwards on my return as an outpatient removed my stitches in a very professional way. It was also reassuring to see Dr again on that occasion and receive confirmation that all was progressing well.
This is a difficult part of the body to have surgery on but my face is now healing well and I feel very confident that I have had the best possible treatment for my condition. Many thanks to all the team for an outstanding patient experience.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from both dermatology and rheumatology.

I have been attending the above clinics for over 25 years. I have received nothing less than excellent care over this period. Granted, there has been the occasional administrative hiccup with booking appointments but these were easily resolved. I am most impressed with the flexibility of staff and their willingness to listen to my opinions and accommodate my requests. Not so long ago I had a reaction to the medication I was taking and I telephoned the Dermatology dept for advice. The head of the dept told me to come in and see them immediately - unbelievable service. Today I was due to start a new treatment but explained at the consultation that I would be away on holiday for a number of weeks and was anxious about starting something new. Despite the inconvenience, staff organised a new appointment for me after my break. Thanks to all the staff - you are wonderful. Alan

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

R Smith gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful staff in X-Ray Dept CAH

Greeted with warmth by reception member of staff. I was taken to change in a cubicle by a member of staff who was pleasant, helpful by tying the gown as my arm could not reach to do it and made sure that I was comfortable whilst waiting to be taken for the x-ray. The radiologist, greeted me warmly and put me at ease as they took the x-rays that I needed. They also explained the procedure fully, explaining why different positions were needed. The member of staff once again helped me to take my gown off and ensured that I was able to leave safely. A very good experience, my thanks to you all and to the Orthopaedic Surgeon for the time spent with me in the past three years

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 25 July 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 22 August 2016

Dear R Smith
Thank you for this lovely feedback, its great to read that you felt so welcomed and cared for by Radiology at Chapel Allerton. I will pass your kind words on to management in Radiology so that this can shared with the team.
Patient Experience

Redhotpain reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

Appointments System

Last seen in rheumatology in Oct 15. Consultant's letter to GP said follow up in 6 months. My GP has requested faster follow up three times since Jan 16. Called a few times to ask when my appointment might be. The latest answer is "several months more due to backlog". I am considerably more unwell than in October and there seems to be little my sympathetic GP can do.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 04 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 06 July 2016

Dear Redhotpain,
Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.
It is very saddening to read that you are in pain; unfortunately, you have not provided any demographic details to enable us to investigate your concerns at this point, therefore, I would ask that you contact the Trusts Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). You can contact PALS via email at patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net or alternatively via phone on 0113 206 6261.
With kind regardsRosieSenior Nurse Patient Experience

Sheffowlmojo reviewed Chapel Allerton Hospital

The staff demonstrated genuine compassion

I was referred out of area for a hip procedure. On arriving I felt welcomed and reassured. The environment was clean and bright. I was anxious about the procedure and having a general anesthetist. The staff made time to listen but demonstrated genuine compassion from the receptionist, domestic, nursing, therapy and medical team. This made a scary time feel as pleasant as it could.
Thanking people in person did not feel enough. So I wanted to share my experience with others and celebrate the good practice. As all to often we only focus on the negative. Well done to all involved in my care.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 16 August 2016

Dear Sheffowlmojo
Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback, I was so glad to read about the positive experience you have had in our care. I will certainly pass your kind words on to management in that team for them to share them with staff.
Patient Experience

Janiece gave Dermatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Nice Nurses but clinics are too busy

I had UV treatment here and the nurses were wonderful. I truly appreciate the care they showed. After about 8 weeks of treatment i was referred to the clinic for a check up and my dermatologist ( who i initially saw privately) never showed up as they were busy on the ward I believe. Their registrar filled in but they did not listen at all to my concerns and just told me to continue using medication which i made clear did not work. The registrar made me do three blood tests and i chased for 5 weeks and still have no results to show for it all. I had to track down my dermatologist privately at a cost of £140 to me and all of this could of been avoided if I had seen them at the clinic in the first place. It feels very unfair that I had to pay to see them as the registrar has booked no follow up appointment. To make matters worse the dermatologist has now questioned the registar's advice and again i have to now pay for everything myself... to the tune of over £460 for a biopsy which the registrar could have prescribed. I am awaiting my biopsy results and it looks like I will now have to pay for another private appointment to obtain the results and get my prescription

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

M. Roberts gave Orthopaedics at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Shoulder surgery

I have just had shoulder surgery (10/05/2016) I could not have asked for better care even if I had gon private. The care I received right from reception, to the surgery and then on the ward was excellent. The whole hospital is spotlessly clean, the nursing staff could not do enough for me. The food I was given was also good

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 24 May 2016

Dear M. Roberts,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Your post is wonderful to read and I am extremely pleased that you had such a positive experience whilst in our care.
I have passed your kind words to the Head of Nursing for Chapel Allerton. I have asked that she share your feedback with her teams who will be delighted to know that they are deliered a level of care that met your expectations.
With kind regards
Rosie Senior Nurse Patient Experience

Kate gave Rheumatology at Chapel Allerton Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology and foot clinic

I can not say how amazing the staff are at this hospital, I went from being in constant pain and the previous hospitals not helping, to a diagnosis and treatment plan from fabulous staff. The helpline staff are amazing and I attended the foot clinic with swelling and pain(my GP organised an xray for a week and a half's time!) and they ultrasounded my foot, asked one of the doctors from the other clinic in and received a steroid injection. Brilliant hospital, I cant thank them enough!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 26 May 2016

Dear Kate
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback, it's great to hear that staff at Chapel Allerton have been able to help you with your treatment. I will pass this on to management there so that they can share it with staff.
Patient Experience Team