01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

vester reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

I was admitted to the ward from ward 15, I would like to thank all the staff for the care and attention they gave me during my stay. As I live on my own it was nice that they took the time to converse with me. It meant a lot. The NHS gets a lot of bad publicity but not from me. Would like to think that I could count on them as friends
As well as professional people, once again thank you Ward 31

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care from a well run hospital

Went in on Monday 6th February for surgery and an overnight stay. The care I received from walking into the reception to the time I left could not be faulted. All staff made an effort to put me at ease and I felt very much that my welfare was top priority for all of them.
Having surgery is obviously not an enjoyable experience but it helps so much if you feel that the people looking after you understand that and ensure you are kept in good spirits throughout your stay.
Thank you so much James Cook for ensuring my surgery and post op stay was no where near as stressful I anticipated.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Marshall gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic experience!

On 12 February me and my partner were admitted into the labour ward as she had gone into labour. The service we received from the labour ward team (12 Feb evening shift/13 Feb day shift- Not sure if I can give specific names!) was truly fantastic. It was clear from the very outset that the Midwives knew exactly what they were doing, and whats better is they ensured we were kept up to date and understood everything that was going on. They were incredibly supportive of my partner through the birth, and got me (dad) involved in as much as possible! The staff had a great sense of humour, was more than happy to just sit and chat about almost anything and everything, and what's best is they didn't once complain about the 100000+ questions we were asking! The Midwives are an absolute credit to the hospital, and I completely 100% would recommend this hospital to anyone considering it.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 19 February 2017

Jocl1947 reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Thanks to the the chief and crew who came to help us

Thank you so much!
We thought my husband may have had a slight heart attack and I sought advice via the 111 number. Lo and behold an ambulance was sent and arrived very soon. After a thorough examination, he was taken to South Cleveland Hospital.
He was released at 8pm and thankfully cleared.
We cannot praise the Crew enough - they were great! Sorry they didn't get to see the puppy!
Many thanks.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrs Richardson gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Ward 17 where a cup of tea is too much to expect........

I would like to share the recent experience of a family member having twins/C section at James Cook. I would compliment you on the service and kindness of the antenatal staff at Northallerton and the Consultant who came from James cook to provide their professional and exceptional service at Northallerton. Also worthy of note are both the charming staff member attending to domestic tasks in the afternoon of the 7th and the staff member (who also knits) that was serving in the RVS coffee shop at the the women's entrance. The staff on duty at the weekend were also as you would hope and a credit to your trust.
The NHS guild lines state that, following a C section "you can eat and drink as soon as you feel hungry or thirsty" this is not the case on ward 17. On this ward you can only eat and drink if staff can be bothered to make you that promised cup of tea and toast. Almost 5 hours had passed and several promises from at least 4 staff members yet non resulted in the actual tea and toast.
Being able to keep some food and drink down is a crucial part of a persons post op recovery and in some ways their observations.
She was eventually given a cuppa and some food at tea time as part of the usual ward activities.
I would gladly have made this for the staff had I been allowed. It may seem to others an insignificant omission. However, I would argue that it is an important part of recovery and after care not to mention the woman's sense of general wellbeing and being cared about. I wonder also why have a process of ordering food only to present your patient with something else. On her second to last day her partner gave up and took her food back he asked for the ordered meal, the nurses who where by now serving themselves from the meal trolley reluctantly obliged. I do not begrudge anyone a meal but possibly they could sort out those who don't have access to a canteen or costa first?
Match this with the regular inability of some staff to refer to their patient by name, make eye contact, introduce themselves and be generally warm in their dealings.
They were more than willing to demoralise the patient and her partner with cutting and snarky comments about their perceived lack of the requisite garments/equipment. All of which was duly and quickly supplied once the need was identified. The loan of a knitted baby cardigan would appear to come with strings on ward 17.
For example, the right to try and belittle the parents for not having brought enough and make them feel guilty that, as they have it, they are depriving another baby of said cardigan. Asking for pain relief is also frowned upon with a "who do you think you are" attitude and "we can't get Drs out of surgery for you" isn't pain relief written up post op? The £28 parking fee for her partner who stayed the whole time to support her was disgusting as is the attitude of your parking attendants who man the buzzer. They should ensure proper signage is in place, I could go on but there isn't the space.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 12 January 2017

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 January 2017

Good afternoon

Thank you for leaving comments on the NHS Choices Website for the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

I am very pleased that your family member received good care and treatment at the Friarage Hospital, Northallerton.

I am very sorry, however, that you have cause to raise concerns about the cost of car parking, staff attitude (both on the ward and from Trust security staff) and various aspects of the care and treatment afforded to your relative on Wd 17.

Please be assured that your email will be shared with senior staff in that area to make them aware of the issues raised.

I would appreciate you or your relative contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 to discuss how to take this further, either through PALS or the formal complaints route.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Email: margaret.robinson@stees.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital visit

My 1 year old daughter was supposed to be having surgery yesterday for cochlear implants. They had to fast from 12am the night before and was only allowed juice up until 6:30am that morning. Upon arriving onto the ward me and my partner noticed that it was red hot, yes I get it's a children's ward but it did not need to be that hot. Anyway, a nurse took her temperature and noticed it was slightly high, they told us to wait 30 mins and they would re test, baring in mind that her temp would not change if they were still on that ward, anyway they got her temp checked once again and it was pretty much the same so they sent us home and cancelled her surgery... As I arrived home my daughter temperature was normal, but to be on the safe side I took her to the doctors explained what happened and there was nothing wrong with her!! I'm so angry with the team who dealt with it as it was all done wrong!! They should have gave my daughter more time to cool down before re testing, I myself knew there was nothing wrong with her I am her mother I know when she's poorly and when she's not. Another thing to add was when we left the ward and sat my mains doors to the building I gave her some juice and she was that dehydrated she guzzled it all down!! I was left with a distressed baby because of this!!! Im just waiting to hear from the cochlear implant team and if they don't give me good news I will be taking this further!! My daughter was treated very poorly and being her mother I'm so angry!!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 January 2017

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 January 2017

Good afternoon

I am very sorry that you have cause to raise concerns around your daughter’s operation being cancelled at The James Cook University Hospital.

If you have not already done so, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 to discuss the most appropriate route to have your concerns addressed.

Email: margaret.robinson@stees.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent hospital

We brought our dad into A&E on Monday night around 11am as he was poorly and struggling to breathe he's 85'years young :) he was seen on A&E were he had numerous tests straight away even though they were extremly busy the staff are second to none he was transferred to ward 15 about 8 am the next morning were he recieved exceptional care from the ward hostess nurses and doctors .... he stayed there till about 4pm and was then told what was wrong with him and we brought him home with his prescriptions which arrived very quickly ..... ward 15 has just phoned him to tell him the results of his blood cultures which has put his mind at rest .... just want to say thank you at the way our dad was treated ... my son qualified as a doctor last July in Leeds were he is working now but would 1 day be over the moon for him to come back to Middlesbrough and work in this wonderful hospital thank you please keep supporting our wonderful NHS everyone we would certainly be on trouble without it .

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 32 fantastic

I recently had surgery and the care from the staff was fantastic.totally kept me at ease and nothing was to much trouble. A extra thankyou to a student, they were absoulty great with the care

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 February 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Untruthful

This is Karen Clay, I am making a complaint about how me and my husband were treated in James Cook university hospital. My husband got transferred to James Cook hospital from Durham hospital. He was on a 6 week treatment course witch could of been completed at Durham hospital, we was told that he could go back to Durham hospital as the travel of the long distance journey was getting to hard and was to much cost, on the day that we were promised that he was going back to Durham hospital they informed us that he wasn't allowed back witch upset myself and my husband so he discharged himself without having the full 6 week course. I think that we were treated very badly and disrespectful. I would not want any other patient to go through what we went through. Hope to hear back from you soon thankyou.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 December 2016

Good morning

Thank you for leaving comments on the NHS Choices Website raising concerns about your and your husband’s recent experience at The James Cook University Hospital.

I am very sorry for the problems you have encountered in the Trust.

Please contact me on the number below to discuss taking these issues forward through the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) or the formal complaints route.

Thank you again for your comments, and please accept my apologies that your recent experience of The James Cook University Hospital did not meet your expectations.

LJB gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing nurses & staff

I was recently on ward 30 for EPS & Catheter Ablation. All nurses are wonderful and do an amazing job on this ward. Really looked after us all and reassured me throughout. Doctors explained everything fully and answered all questions. Couldnt speak highly enough of everyone. Thank you. LJ

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 18 December 2016