The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dreadful service

Consultant in antenatal clinic was rude and unhelpful, and made an assessment without taking my previous medical history into account. I arrranged a second appointment to try to resolve matters but was again faced with the same attitude.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 11 July 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 July 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your comments regarding your antenatal appointment at The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern regarding the attitude of a Consultant and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to provide me with further details to enable the Trust to investigate your concerns.

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

Ian M gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology unit

Must be the best in the country. Superb service from doctors and nurses

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 29 June 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 July 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Cardiothoracic Services at The James Cook University Hospital.
I shall certainly forward your feedback to the department.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

With best wishes.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Need a Hug gave General Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unable to access Health Records

South Tees trust delayed and avoided my patient access request to my medical records by insisting a request was only valid if it was submitted correctly on their own form. This is not a requirement of the Data Protection Act. Even the website which says forms can be downloaded does not have it available to download. http://southtees.nhs.uk/patients-visitors/health-records/

The only download is too a leaflet not a request form. The leaflet is out of date advising further information is available from the website www.informationcommisioner.gov.uk which is no longer used. The ICO is now available at http://ico.org.uk/

It takes too long for patients to access their own records.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 26 June 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 July 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding access to your healthcare records.
I am very sorry you hae had problems with the Trut's on line service and we are currently looking into updating this part of the website.

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on the length of time this particular case has taken without having more details. However, our timescales are governed by the Data protection act which states we must release records within 40 days.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact my office on 01642 854055.

Mrs Emma Young
Legal Services Team Leader
James Cook University Hospital

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very poor service. Not comparable to EU standards.

Have been through the accident, on the day the operation was fine and doctors very good. Then spent 4 weeks in ward 37. Some nurses are awful, some nice. General quality of care is very low. Just feeling bad for those who really trying hard to work out of their common sense and compassion to patients. Otherwise NHS has no clue about what proper training is. Physio did mistake which resulted re-fracturing the bone and further operation , not healing properly. Impression such as people are not trained well. Hygiene is not up to EU standard. Communication with doctors very poor. Problems never sorted when you need help, I had to go private and out of the UK to get treatment on various occasions and actually got sorted there after doctors in Middlesbrough just watching how things are not going well .... Hope never having to use this hospital again. I think this review should be referred to all hospitals in the North of England.

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 16 June 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 30 June 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay on Ward 37 at The James Cook University Hospital. I am very sorry to learn of your experience.
I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500 to discuss your concerns further and to enable the Trust to investigate them.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

william c crook gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

aortic valve replacement

Had Aortic valve replacement done on 18th May 2014,this dept is fantastic the staff are most dedicated you would hope to meet,I was informed all the way through my treatment,from surgeon to nurse,they could not do enough for me,this is the place to be when in need I could not praise them more if I tried,thank for all your help JCUH.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 30 May 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 16 June 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback in which you express your thanks for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital for your heart surgery in May 2014.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved in your care and treatment and I am sure they will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery
Patient Experience Co-ordinator

andrea gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Broken femur

My dad was air lifted here 2 weeks ago after a motor bike accident.
The care he recieved was excellent,although on some occasions he had to keep asking for his diabetic medication when he ran out.
there did seem to be a lack of staff, so the one's that were present had alot of work to do.
He has now been transferred to doncaster and is hoping the care and food is going to be as good as james cook. ward 37 trauma

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 24 May 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 27 May 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment your father received from during his stay on Ward 37 at The James Cook University Hospital, following his accident. I am pleased to learn you found the care he received to be excellent, however, sorry to hear about the problems your father had obtaining his medication. I shall certainly forward you comments to the members of staff involved.
If you would like to discuss matters further, please to not hesitate to contact my office on 01642 854500.

With best wishes to you and for your father's recovery.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator.

JACQUELINE WRIGHT gave Neurology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The best of care by the best of people ward 24

I had my 2nd brain tumour operation on 28th April & once more got the best of care from everyone.
I cannot thank them all enough on ward 24 for their help,care & kindness.
Everything was explained to me & nothing was any trouble & even had a good laugh.
Obviously,I do not wish anyone to go there but if you do be consoled that you will have the very best of care.
The best from the NHS

Jacqueline Wright

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 08 May 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 12 May 2014

Dear Jacqueline

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received during your recent admission to The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn of your positive experience and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An amazing team of people

We chose JCUH as private patients having been incredibly happy with the personalized care and attention received on a short stay on ward 19.
The department of reproductive medicine are an amazing team of professionals who go that extra mile to treat each patient as an individual. Some of the many special memories we have; calling you by your first names and remembering who you are, being happy to see you, calling up with what I'm sure to them is the smallest of queries and it being dealt with immediately and with willing to help, being excited when a treatment has gone well, the embryologists ringing on a daily basis with news of progress and finally the wonderful consultants.....their attention to detail and excellent guidance. Your 5 star hotel will always be very special to us both regardless of the outcome.
You are a team of winners!!!
Louise & Neil

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 23 April 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you have both received from staff within the Gynaecology Department at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
I am pleased to learn you fell that staff have gone that 'extra mile' and have been helpful theoughout your treatment.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes to you both

Mrs Linda Oliver Patient Relations Officer

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Visit to A&E

Having called the ambulance, as my daughter had a fall in the local park, I was asked by the ambulance driver if I can take my daughter to A&E as they had another urgent call to attend
(Which wasn't a issue, )however upon arriving at A&E we were asked to wait in the children's waiting area,whilst the wound was still open and bleeding - still in pain

Approached the nurse for pain killers and new dressing for the wound, but I was told that she will get the pain killers it in a minute however approx 20 minutes later went back asked again only to be told that the Doctor needs to sign before they give it to her (why they couldn't have said that in the first place - not sure)

I then returned again to the nurses for some dressing which I asked for 30 minutes previously ( then the nurse came and changed it after we had been cleaning the blood of the face.

During the 1 hour 30 minutes wait I seen several people come in and get seen before my daughter, which seemed strange

Finally got to see the doctor who after checking referred her to ward 35 next morning.

I fully appreciate that nurses and doctors have a very difficult job but surely by doing minor things more promptly it would minimise the distress that the families are in.

To finish off on a positive : ward 35 were absolutely fantastic

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 19 April 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding your daughter's attendance at the Accident & Emergency Department within The James Cook University Hospital. I sorry you have cause for concern regarding your daughter's wait for treatment within the department, and I will forward your your feedback to the relevant Management Team for their attention. If you would like to discuss this further, or receive feedback to your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office on 01642 854500.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Review of maternity care

I can honestly say that the staff and care that I and my partner were given during both of my pregnancies and labor were excellent. In 2011 I gave birth on the low dependency unit on the Marton suite. The rooms were excellent, and like mini hotel rooms, clean and tidy, which is all you could want. The midwife was caring and took care of all of our needs, I never felt worried or anxious as the midwife regularly checked up on me and took time to talk me through the whole process, easing my nerves. Sadly in 2013 we lost our baby and I had to deliver at James cook. The staff in the ultra sound department were outstanding, helping us through such a difficult time, I honestly cant thank them enough. The midwives again were outstanding, and are a really caring and dedicated team who will look after you, in good times and bad! An excellent maternity ward; I would, and have recommended this maternity unit to many friends who are expecting.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 13 April 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you and your partner have recieved from The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn that staff spent time with you and were able to take care of your needs, especially at what must have been a difficult time for you both.

I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.