The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital

Unhappy with treatment if a member if staff

I came into hospital with an ananphylexis shock was very poorly and the paramedics were fantastic. I was taken to hospital for treatment on the (19/09/2014)approx 10.15pm. On arrival, the night staff who looked after me were brilliant and I could not fault them, however a member of staff on the day shift was very curt, rude and uncaring, and often referred to me as a number. My daughter came to visit and was so angry at the way the member of staff spoke to me, even when the member of staff took my blood pressure they never spoke to me or made eye contact, and virtually ripped my arm off when removing the blood pressure equipment. Not only was I treated like that but an old lady who was so ill was treat by her disgustingly too, and the patient in the next bed is also sending you a complaint. The member of staff made my stay in that word a nightmare. The rest of the staff were faultless. Especially a lovel caring nurse on the night shit. I'm home now but the treatment of that person has not helped my recovery at all. I also suffer from depression and the member of staff didn't help the situation.

Janice cass.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Nicki gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynelogical theatre team

I was seen in outpatients and operated on within 3 weeks. The whole team were fantastic from start to finish. I was visited on the day by all the team who individually explained what they were all going to do. I can not thank them enough for making my stay a pleasant one. Outstanding

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 04 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received from the Gynaecology Department within The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn your stay was a pleasant one and that staff were able to explain clearly the care and treatment you would be receiving. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

Many thanks again for your comments
With best wishes for your recovery
Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital

Is this a non-smoking site or not?

I have had to visit James Cook as an outpatient several times in the last 4 months and I have no complaints about any aspect of my treatment following surgery at the Friarage. I have found both clinical and admin staff to be excellent, but the one thing that strikes me every time I attend the hospital is that even though there are signs as you enter saying 'this is a non-smoking site' and 'no smoking' signs outside the entrances, they are completely ignored and no-one appears to enforce it. As I was leaving the hospital yesterday and approached the south entrance, I could smell the smoke before I reached the revolving door. There is just no point to having these signs if no-one is prepared to tackle the problem and ask people not to smoke.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Daughter admitted to children's ward for planned surgery

Excellent nursing care pre and post op received on ward 22. Staff very friendly especially ward sister and the ward hostess. Only negative is we felt pre-assessment on the day unit was a waste of time for both our daughter and us. 5 minute appointment to explain issues which we felt were discussed within planned initial appointment and that also could have been taken on admission to the ward. ENT consultant was very professional and reassuring.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 19 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

sandra gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

suspected heart attack

was admitted from dryburn to james cook on the 13th ugust 2014 with a suspected heart attack had procedure done on the 14th was very nervous the staff on ward 30 and in theatre where they done an angiogram was so very helpful and made me feel better not so anxious thankyou one and all for the help and care I received in both hospitals

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Pam gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

Admitted for for emergency endoscopy which the thought of terrified me. I had no need to worry as I was unaware of anything once in the treatment room. Brilliant. Thanks to the team and especially the chap who did the procedure.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Gail Hurst gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Unbiased but useful information about my treatment.

Had a small operation to remove re occurring scab on my nose which showed I have B.C.C which can be treated at James Cook or at Newcastle. My consultant has very patiently talked me through my options and after careful consideration I think I will choose to to go to Newcastle although the tests may be more uncomfortable I may save more living cells.
I rather hope that I can have my day of discomfort at Newcastle and have the consultant do the re constructive surgery of my nose at James Cook.. Whatever my final decision/outcome I can only give praise for the team at James Cook. If the surgery was not in the middle of my face I'd probably think differently and be treated at James Cook. By tomorrow morning I may think differently.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 August 2014

Good morning Gail.

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you are currently receving for BCC.
I shall certainly forward your thanks on to the staff involved in your care and treatment and I do hope your surgery went well.

With best wishes for your recovery

Patient Experience Co-ordinator.

Anonymous gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 14 James Cook University Hospital

My mam spent 2 weeks on ward 14 receiving treatment for a terminal illness in July 2014. My mam has a historic dislike of hospitals so for her to accept the need to receive care and medical support outside of a home environment is something of a miracle. The was made possible as my mam received excellent and prompt nursing, medical and allied health care. My mam felt safe and secure on the ward. Staff were courteous, kind, genuinely caring and giving of their time despite the hectic nature of working in a hospital. On behalf of my mam and family thank you so much for your professional care.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 08 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 11 August 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding your mother's admission to Ward 14 at The James Cook University Hospital in July 2014. I am pleased to learn your mother was able to receive good professional care and medical support at what must have been a very worrying time for her.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved in your mother's care and treatment and I am sure they will be equally pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.
With best wishes

Yours sincerely

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

son appendix operation

My son was admitted via a&e .just before his a level exams . his journey was excellent and we all were treated well and kept in the loop with all information . even to a letter being provided to support his exam circumstances many thanks

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 September 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, regarding the treatment your son received during his admission to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them. I do hope your son is recovering well.

With best wishes

Patient Relations

Anonymous gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dreadful service

Consultant in antenatal clinic was rude and unhelpful, and made an assessment without taking my previous medical history into account. I arrranged a second appointment to try to resolve matters but was again faced with the same attitude.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 11 July 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 July 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your comments regarding your antenatal appointment at The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern regarding the attitude of a Consultant and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to provide me with further details to enable the Trust to investigate your concerns.

Yours sincerely