Check here for alerts

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Miss M M reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

The nurses are the best!

I would just like to say a big thank you to the Staff and Nurses on Ward 24 HDU at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough. My brother has been in James Cook University hospital with a bleed on the brain, he was in intensive care then was sent to Ward 24.
The Nurses on Ward 24 are the best in my eyes from the moment my brother was in there the care he received was exceptional the nurses made me my family and my brother feel so comfortable and treated us with respect. I'm so grateful and would like the staff and nurses on Ward 24 to know they are appreciated.
One nurse stood out to me he is a star nurse in my eyes and deserves an award for best nurse. James Cook University Hospital is the best hospital by far keep up the amazing work your all superheros to me.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 16 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Julie Cavanagh gave Oncology - Medical at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A big Thank you to ward 14

For the past 2yrs our Father had received some fantastic treatment by the chest team and oncology team at James Cook. Sadly he passed away on ward 14 on 21st October 2016. I speak for all of my family in saying the treatment he got was first class and the staff could do no more to ensure that his final days were peaceful and pain free. We are so grateful that all staff on ward 14 were there to help us through this difficult time.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 01 December 2016

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital

Maternity unit/early pregnancy experience

I and my husband are traumatised by the ignorance at the Maternity unit in JCUH we recieved on Sat 15Oct.
I was10wks pregnant when I started minor bleeding on Wed 12Oct. I rang my local midwife and they said that at the moment it didn't sound like anything dangerous for pregnancy and if it gets heavier then I had to contact the hospital.
On Sat15Oct the bleeding became heavier and I and my husband went to the Friarage hosp(the one I was registered with).In the Friarage hosp we met the midwife, they said as it was Sat there were no doctors to examine me and to do the scan,so the nurse directed us to JCUH.
In JCUH we heard the same phrase from the midwife that there were no doctors on Sat and they couldn't do a scan.Although the midwife asked me some questions about my symptoms.I said I had no pain,but pulling feeling at the bottom of my stomach and the main symptom was bleeding since Wed(already for4days by then) and it was progressing. The midwife said that bleeding during preg-cy isn't normal,but not uncommon. the midwife said I wasn't bleeding heavy enough to worry,I looked quite healthy and pink(not pale).I wasn't offered to be admitted to the hospital,I was refused having a scan and my symptoms were ignored.It felt like nobody was helping us.
On Sun16Oct my husband went away with the army254mls away from home in Catterick,he trusted the healthcare professionals and couldn't get compassionate leave as a misc-ge was not happening according to the midwife.Later at7pm I went into labour,started getting contractions.I didn't really know what exactly was happening as it was my first preg-cy.When contractions became very intense I rang111,I had to reply lots of questions being in severe pain.They couldn't arrange an amb-ce for me and placed me in the queue.I miscarried at 10.15pm and started loosing a lot of blood.I rang 999.It took about an hour for an amb-ce to arrive.I don't blame the amb-ce that it took so long to arrive,but I do blame the hospital's staff I talked to on Sat that they ignored me. The midwife didn't take my symptoms seriously, they didn't do a scan for me and didn't admit me to hosp when I came there on Sat in hope to receive any help.
Even though our baby couldn't have been saved,but I could've been looked after,because anything could've happened to me when I was loosing blood and waiting for the amb-ce to come.Only when I was taken in the amb-ce,my husb was allowed to come back to support me.He had to drive again this long distance,what could've been prevented if I was taken to hosp earlier,because midwife ignored my progressive symptoms,it meant that when I miscarried I was all alone,suffering and very frightened.This could've been avoided with a scan that would've shown it was incomplete misc-ge and my husband could've got compassionate leave and supported me.
Amb-ce took me to JCUH after misc-ge and I want to say massive thanks to the midwife for looking after me and trying to make me feel better as much as they could,especially before my husb arrived.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 19 October 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 31 October 2016

Good morning

Thank you for leaving comments on the NHS Choices Website raising concerns about the Maternity Units at the Friarage Hospital and The James Cook University Hospital.

I am very sorry for your recent negative experiences.

Please contact me on the number below to discuss taking these issues further through the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) or the formal complaints route.

Thank you again for your comments, and please accept my apologies that your recent experience of the Trust did not meet your expectations.

Margaret Robinson
Middlesbrough
TS4 3BW

Tel no: 01642 850850, x53725
Email: margaret.robinson@stees.nhs.uk

Terry mac gave Urology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

What's happening to ward 5 my regular ward

Having now been in and out of hospitial quite a lot over the last 2 yrs since having a supra pubic catheter inserted despite several infections were I have had over 10 admissions in the last 12 months alone not all yo this hospitial but all for urology problems and getting worse each time with sepsis infection. Anyway on my last visit to ward 5 for my routine change of my catheter once been shown to my bed on the ward all standard procedure as per usual and always done by the sister and done with first class five star care as always very very careful in doing this as I have quite a few problems having this done I have to be antibiotic and pain relief given through out the procedure as this happens every time but done so very clever by the sister who I have come to form a good friendship with now and a chat before and after it is done to make sure I'm comfortable with the whole thing and won't let me home until they are satisfied all is ok with me and the procedure very good care indeed. Now the problem is as I have to go to this ward every time I need a change of catheter even if it is before due time or I have infection or problems I only have to call the ward and they will accommodate me as soon as possible but after my last visit I was told that the ward is getting moved round and different people will be given different rolls my problem is I have gained my trust in ward 5 staff and this sister. I have had it changed by 2 difrent people before and I was put through so much pain and distress I was in tears and kept in for 2 days so I realy hope that you consider what will be happening with people like myself I can only finish by saying that all the treatment and operations IV had at James cook have all been first class on the urology ward kind regards Terry m,,,

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 31 October 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Nick Rushall gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Staff and Care

I recently had a heart pacemaker replaced, which required a, operation at the JCUH. the care during my brief stay while there was excellent. It would be unfair to single any individual out for praise. The whole team, from the porters and orderlies (what do you call them these days?), to the Ward and nursing staff to then team in the operating lab, were warm, caring and friendly. Every question I had of them was answered, and at all times I was confident that I knew what was happening and why. I have had the same quality of care throughout, including the pre-operation assessments and the post-operation care and checks ups. Thank you all.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016

jen lofthouse gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 22

my daughter lilly was on ward 22 for 10 days after a neck injury ,the staff where all so lovely even a nurse from the adult spinal ward organised her a bed so her stay was more comfy i could not say a bad word on anything .the volunteers that come in are amazing especially one just do an amazing job keep up the good work everyone

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 04 October 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 October 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to your daughter on Ward 22 at The James Cook University Hospital.

I am very pleased that you were able to draw positives on your daughter’s inpatient episode on the ward at what must have been a very difficult time for your family.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the Trust.

It may interest you to know the trust welcomes nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk

For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for either of these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards

Margaret Robinson
Middlesbrough
TS4 3BW

Tel no: 01642 850850, x53725
Email: margaret.robinson@stees.nhs.uk

Henry Lightfoot gave Stroke services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cartoid endarterectomy

Following the above surgery I wish to express my feelings towards the staff involved. Initially I was given the ins and outs of the procedure in minute detail, after which I was introduced to the anesthetist again extremely helpful and finally the procedure was carried out by an excellent surgeon to whom I cannot praise too highly. Once in the high dependency general I was attende to by a nurse who was extremely proficient in my after care. After this I was taken to ward 6 and again given excellent care from the staff. Finally all I can say to all involved is a big thank you.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 08 September 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your message in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received from the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to submit this compliment. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a daily basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk

For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards

Tel: 01642 854807

Lyn S gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Service

We arrived at James Cook via GNAAS from Cumbria not knowing at all what to expect. From the helicopter crew & the porters that met us on the helipad right through to being discharged the service could not be faulted. My daughter had sustained a nasty leg injury which was seen swiftly and we we admitted what felt to be reasonably quickly. The A&E staff were amazing and very patient with her, right through from ward staff, anethatists and the surgeon them self she was made to feel very cared for. The wards were clean and bedding changed many times during our stay and Erin loved the food. A massive thanks for a great team.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your message in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to you at The James Cook University Hospital.

Tel: 01642 854807

AngelaC gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

I was so worried after being referred under a two week rule. I am excellent at complaining but I this occasion could find absolutely no fault with the faultless treatment I received. Appointment Monday operation performed less than 24 hours later on Tuesday (could not have got better treatment privately). I have a fear of hospitals and the staff, however I have to say the consultant is one of the nicest peopleI have ever met, what a credit to James Cook Hospital they are. Could not fault the staff either who were equally as lovely. Absolutely amazing. Thank you so so much you have changed my life - for the better! If you Find yourself in a similar position to me - please don't be afraid, you will be treated with dignity and respect at all times. I am so impressed - hope you all get some recognition for the wonderful service you provide.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 06 September 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your message in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received from the Gynaecology team at The James Cook University Hospital.

Tel: 01642 854807

PCavsnr gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st class care

From the start of my condition(heart attack) to the finished operation the care received was first class , I would like to thank all the persons involved from the Paramedic and ambulance crew and all the Doctors & staff and ward assistance and porters in wards 15,29 &30 you made my ordeal less stressful and not forgetting the Doctor and crew who fitted my stent the whole process was caring....Thank you..

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 October 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to you on Wards 15, 29 and 30, at The James Cook University Hospital

Please send your comments relating to the paramedics and ambulance crew to the North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (Telephone number - 0800 032 0202).