The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Andrea gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pituitary Surgery

My dad went into hospital on Sunday for endoscopic Pituitary surgeon on Monday. On Sunday I was very nervous about his care. One of the Doctors had no bed side manner and made my father very distressed, when they informed him all the things that could go wrong. I appreciate they need to do this, but it can be done with care and compassion and not sending a frightened man as it was into a panic attack. On Monday the neurosurgeon operated on my father and I have to say, I could not be more pleased with the outcome at the moment. He is being discharged today and has had very little pain and I believe that is due to being operated on by such a wonderful surgeon. My father also very at ease with them and they had a lovely manner to him. We were disappointed that my father had to spend an half and an hour longer in recovery due to their not being a nurse being able to bring him back to the ward. However, that is a funding issue not the nurses and they did look after him very well and others on the ward, particularly in high dependency.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 03 August 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 August 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to your father under the care of Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital. I note that you and your father also had concerns regarding the way risks and benefits of surgery was communicated, and the long wait for your father to be brought back to the ward from recovery due to a shortage of appropriate staff.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and feedback on patient experience, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the Trust.

I will ensure your comments and also the issues raised are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the feedback received from you.

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 if you would like to take this further, or would like some feedback on your enquiry.

Thank you.

IG and Patient Safety Advisor

Hugh H. gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Ward 24 experience

On the 2nd of August I was transferred to James Cook Hospital because a scan showed I had a Subdural Hematoma. After being admitted to Ward 24 things moved quickly and I was readied for surgery. Being almost unable to use my right leg and arm I had grave doubts about any positive outcome and was expecting a long and torturous recovery, if all went well.
Three hours later I woke up in the recovery ward with the recovery nurse holding my right hand, which I was squeezing, hard, I also was able to move my leg as normal. My total emotional relief must have rubbed off on the nurse who got my wife on their mobile for me to talk to. She was waiting for me as a came back up from the recovery ward, thanks to your receptionist who told her where to wait.
I stayed on Ward 24 until discharged on the 5th August in the afternoon. Words alone cannot convey watching the wonderful care and respect shown to every patient from my vantage point of total peace, caused by the fantastic result of my own surgery.
All the staff I had the good fortune to meet are a credit to their profession, I could name most of them, although they know who they are I will always remember the humour they bring to a very stressful, difficult and in some cases unappreciated job.
Can I thank the maroon and yellow angels, head nurses and night staff for keeping me peaceful and safe, the anaesthetist for detailing the procedure, the surgeon for their cure, the physios and cognitive staff for checking if I still had any functions left and finally a member of staff who possesses that rare quality of observational assessment and quick wit needed to keep it all moving in the right direction, yet with the ability to add in a light hearted side to a stressful workload.. My whole family wish to thank you, including my dog that waited for dad to come home by the gate, without you I would not be able to write this.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 07 August 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jade gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 24

I visited ward 25 and then ward 24 after my operation. Other than been cancelled for four days on the emergency list the staff on ward 24 who looked after me after my operation really put me and my family at ease. I then had to go back to ward 24 for a further operation due to complications. Both a staff nurse and student nurse provided care that was second to none and really helped me manage by pain as best they could when I was in agony. Thank you so much to those nurses they deserve recognition. Thank you to all both teams that operated on me also.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 20 August 2016

Walnutwonder reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Wonderful care from the whole team

I had a pacemaker fitted and from arrival on ward 31, through the procedure and then my departure from the ward I had wonderful care from the whole team. Overnight with family and a phone call this morning to check all was well. Cannot praise them all enough.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

C.McCabe gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

midwife services and james cook hospital

it is with great dismay I bring forward my complaints to yourselves as I have had no look with any other members of your staff.

I wish not to discredit the usual hospital services as they perform to a high standard however my 9 month pregnant fiance and i have been extremely disappointed in both the midwife service and the communication between that team and the actual hospital.my partner was due to give birth to our first on Friday the 1st of July, seeing as we have had no sign of him coming just yet my partner was expecting to be induced. sadly the date we were given as the 8th for her to be induced will not be happening as we found out on the second her midwife had not made the appointment at the hospital. this wouldn't have been any inconvenience what so ever and i would not complain if the midwife had told us. they did not. we found this out by trying to contact them regularly, day after day, to no avail. we then turned to the hospital for guidance who told us we had no appointment, nor could we make one ourselves and when we explained the trouble we were having getting through to someone we were told "sorry that's not my job" by the rather disrespectful receptionist. it is now the 7th on the day I’m writing this and we have still not had any contact from the midwife or any of their colleagues despite leaving messages on a daily basis. i can understand things go wrong and dont expect smooth sailing all the time but i feel the way we have been neglected by the "service" you offer is not acceptable. im fairly certain a young pregnant woman endures enough stress as it is without staff letting them down and uncertainty of ever receiving a definitive answer looming over her shoulders. long story short i feel the maternity unit in general has let us down and i think its fair to say that after this experience i will most definitely not be passing on a good word or recommendation nor will i be looking to use your services in the future.

I do hope you will contact me in an attempt to rectify the issue we are having and I eagerly await your response.
Best regards,

Curtis M

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 27 July 2016

Good afternoon.

Thank you for leaving comments on the NHS Choices Website for The James Cook University Hospital.

Please be reassured the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust takes all such concerns very seriously in a continuous effort to improve the service offered to patients, relatives, carers and visitors to our Trust.

Please accept my apologies that you have cause to complain about the care and treatment afforded to your fiancée recently. There have also been communication issues, and I am very sorry for your and your fiancée's experience.

I would appreciate you contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the Trust on 01642 854807 or via email on PALS@stees.nhs.uk to work out an appropriate route to have your concerns addressed.

Please be aware we would need consent from your fiancée in order to take this forward.

Thank you for again for leaving your comments.

email PALS@stees.nhs.uk

Caspian Sutherland gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional team on Ward 31!

I had the Nuss Procedure early this July and was astounded by the high level of care and attention given to patients. Prior to the operation, I was transported to the cardio thoracic theatres, the process was extremely smooth and all the staff were really friendly and humorous helping to put me at ease. Following the operation, I was transferred to the HDU in Ward 31. All the staff were bubbly, well organised and punctual and I couldn't have asked for a better service. I'd like to thank Ward 31 for their excellent work. Caspian

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently received from the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department and Ward 31 at The James Cook University Hospital.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the Trust.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk

For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for either of these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards

01642 854807

Matt P gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

General Surgery on a Sunday

I would just like to thank everyone involved in my recent gallbladder removal, from the nurse on the ward who had to help me do up my hospital gown (you know they really are hard to tie from behind I just couldn't manage it) to the anaesthetist and ODP. I was taken care of, was respected and all this on a Sunday, especially fathers day.

I know they do great jobs with the resources they have available and I know they are under pressure but the care, compassion and respect they showed me really made me feel like they were looking after me and had my best interests at heart.

Great job, guy and girls and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 27 June 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently received in General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital.

01642 854807

Bernard gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful caring and comforting attention given to me.

Excellent support and comfort to me as a patient. A small concern of the effect of the drugs probably necessary when recovery takes place. I got myself upset at what I thought I seen I'd selling of alchol cigarettes and spirits to patients and people coming in off the street.i was convinced this was happening and was a bit aggressive to the wonderful staff. I can only apologise for this I also observed other patient around this time have problems identifying where they where and being aggressive towards the staff is this the general side effect of the drugs.if so patients should be warned.apart from this incident the staff nurses,nurses auxiliary personnel were wonderfull. Thank you Bernard graham

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently received in Cardiothoracic Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital. Thank you also for your observations and ideas for service improvement in relation to pre-warning patients on the side effects of certain medication used on the wards.

I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you. Your experience in relation to the effects of medication on patients will also be fed back to help improve the service offered to patients in our Trust.

01642 854807

Claire vodden gave Colorectal cancer services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 14 James cook hospital

My mum was recently admitted to ward 14 ( 15th June 2016) as an emergency she was very ill and confused, staff were instantly reassuring and supportive, I was given a cup of tea by the catering staff who could clearly see I was upset and the nursing staff were busy with mum, that cup of tea was such a comfort. Mum deteriorated that day and the day after, this was a very upsetting/ stressful time for us all, every member of the team on ward 14 were fantastic , consultant, doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, catering staff and domestic staff, we were all treated with dignity and respect with all of mums care explained to us, we asked question after question nothing was a problem , even the difficult conversation regarding DNR was made as comfortable as it could be. Mum did pull through and spent a week on ward 14 , the care/ support remained outstanding , mum was discharged home and sadly passed away 14th July 2016 , we cannot thank ward 14 enough they made a very difficult time much easier , a true team of angels .

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 August 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 August 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to your mother on Wd 14 at The James Cook University Hospital.

I am very sorry to hear that your Mum passed away recently. Please accept my sincere condolences on your sad loss.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Star Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives.

01642 854807

Tracy cairns gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity unit

I would like to say how extremely happy I am with the staff at the maternity unit they are absolutely fantastic nothing was too much trouble for them , all our needs were catered for and they constantly checked on us at all times .

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 June 2016

Good afternoon.

Thank you for your comments in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received on the Maternity Unit at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the organisation. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

Thank you again for your email.