The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Zoe Sheriff gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Our poorly boy!

The staff on ward 21 were outstanding. Our son was admitted after arriving by ambulance, he was very poorly. He was treated kindly, and informed on every step of his care.
Everything was carried out to a strict timetable, his meds, & observations carried out religiously.
I even had support from a nurse myself when I found it all a bit overwhelming! Thank you x
I can't rate the medical staff and indeed, the auxiliary staff highly enough.
First class care. Thank you x

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 08 April 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Lorraine Newby gave Neurology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks for all the care,support and kindness on ward 24

I would like to thank all the other doctors, sisters, nurses and health care assistants on ward 24. They all do a fantastic job and deserve to be recognised for doing a good service of looking after me on the 30/04/2017 - 31/03/2017 after recovering from a cervical spine operation. The ward was spotless the staff were attentive, polite, helpful and approachable towards all my needs. My stay at the hospital was comfortable and the atmosphere was relaxed this pleased me as I was anxious about my operation. I was treated with dignity and respect by all the staff on ward 24 and the doctor. The nurses and healthcare assistants worked well together and supported each other which I found very endearing.

You are all very much appreciated Thanks again

Lorraine Newby

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mr and Mrs Thornton gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Neuroscience Ward 24 HDU

My wife was in for 3 days who underwent surgery for a brain tumour- she was treated with respect, dignity and every staff member were very professional and courteous at all times, despite how busy they were. Her consultant and fellow doctors were also at ease and explained everything. She is now home and recovering well. Thank you to Ward 24 what ever your role you make it a team effort for the benefit of all patients.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Rhona gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye outpatients Department

I was fast tracked from opticians and the treatment so far has been excellent . Can't complain at all thx you James Cook eye outpatients from reception to nurse and consultant . Outpatients Eye Dept.Mrs Rhona Ford

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Gordon W gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Dept

couldnt have been friendlier and more helpful
The nurses really understood my unrelated neuro conditions amd made me feel very at ease and welcome
i arrived worried and nervous but was soon made to feel at ease and understand what was happening
Everyone went abive and beyond

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Sian Crooks gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care throughout my stay

I required major surgery and was quite anxious about the prospect. I needn't have been. I was greeted and checked in at the Surgical Admissions Unit and my husband was told which ward I should be going to following my surgery. I had only a very short wait in the waiting area before being taken through to a nice comfy chair. All chairs and equipment were stickered with up to date clinically clean stickers. The area looked clean, tidy and clutter free. I was seen and admitted by the admitting nurse who explained the procedure for checking in and who would be seeing me. They had barely finished seeing me before the consultant came and gave a very thorough explanation of the procedure to take place and how long I should be in theatre. They were immediately followed by the anaesthetist and then the phlebotomist. All were very polite, thorough in their explanations and professional. I was then taken into the anaesthetic room where while I was awake only a small guage blue cannula was inserted into my left hand. They did not put the larger green cannula in until I was asleep. They were inserted so well that upon removal there were only the tiniest marks left that are now almost gone after only 4 days. I was then transferred to ward 7 where the excellent care continued. For the rest of that day I was extremely nauseous and was continuously monitored and asked if I required anything further. The care continued throughout the night with an NHSP nurse who was always available and was again very professional. Thanks for the continuous cups of tea once my nausea was under control. I unfortunately got no sleep but that is due to me being an insomniac and that I was unable to take my normal medications due to the earlier nausea. Early next morning drip and large IV cannula removed and catheter out I was visited by the consultant (possibly before 8am) who informed me that my surgery had taken an hour longer than normal then explained my aftercare and said I was fit for discharge as soon as I passed urine.
The only two things that could have been improved were
1. the wait for my medications which weren't even ordered until lunchtime then didn't arrive on the ward until approx 3.30pm and
2. I have been advised by the operating consultant and their team not to have caffeine. There was no decaf coffee or tea on the ward so my good hubby had to go downstairs and buy some for my stay.
Overall the care was excellent from start to finish. Thank you everyone who helped care for me. I felt safe and well cared for.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Dusties reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Prostate biopsy

From start to finish the staff were outstanding. The appointment was spot on time. The three staff were very caring, putting me at ease throughout the biopsy procedure. We even had a chat and a smile about the TV Broadchurch series during the actual biopsy which definitely helped relax me ( I don't remember the staff names, but hopefully they read this and I'm sure they will know who I am referring to). I was kept fully the informed about the procedure and possible infection after effects.
The reception nurse who sat through the whole procedure with me was great, continually smiling, chatting and putting me at ease. Following the procedure she even reserved a seat in the busy waiting room and had a cup of tea waiting for me...Definitely above and beyond what I expected.
Well done and thanks for making a pretty unpleasant biopsy procedure into something that was almost a "pleasure" if you know what I mean! I forgot to fill in the paper review form before leaving and wish I had filled it in!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

sooty2055 reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

The staff were perfect in every way

this was my 3rd ablation for tachycardia at James Cook and the treatment received was first rate, the whole experience from clinics to procedure day were all carefully orchestrated and fluid with no hitches. The staff were perfect in every way, from secretarial staff to the clinicians /consultants and ward staff, all played a vital role in my care.
I found it to be a stressful time but knowing that everyone wants to help you through time and that they're at the end of the phone or even emails is very calming. I don't want to go through this again but I know that I would be well looked after.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 April 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Incredible considering the pressure they're under

I visited A&E upon the advice of the NHS Direct 111 service. I was seen fairly promptly by reception, was a little annoyed at first to see them chatting while I was stood there but soon remembered they're human and 30 seconds wasn't going to kill me. Reception staff were friendly once I was seen and took in every detail I said. I sat down expecting a long night but was pleasantly surprised to be seen very quickly, especially as it seemed quite busy, and left A&E following treatment within the hour. All doctors and nurses were friendly and communicated excellently with each other which speeded my whole process up and made it a lot easier. Also a special mention to how they dealt with a patient who became verbally abusive and difficult, they remained professional and calm and were all just fantastic.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 April 2017

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric surgical day unit

The PSDU were extremely professional and caring with my
Little boy when he came In for grommets. From the pre assessment to the anaesthetist everyone talked to him in a way he understood. Every person within that unit were so lovely and really made things much better for us all

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 March 2017