The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

C.McCabe gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

midwife services and james cook hospital

it is with great dismay I bring forward my complaints to yourselves as I have had no look with any other members of your staff.

I wish not to discredit the usual hospital services as they perform to a high standard however my 9 month pregnant fiance and i have been extremely disappointed in both the midwife service and the communication between that team and the actual hospital.my partner was due to give birth to our first on Friday the 1st of July, seeing as we have had no sign of him coming just yet my partner was expecting to be induced. sadly the date we were given as the 8th for her to be induced will not be happening as we found out on the second her midwife had not made the appointment at the hospital. this wouldn't have been any inconvenience what so ever and i would not complain if the midwife had told us. they did not. we found this out by trying to contact them regularly, day after day, to no avail. we then turned to the hospital for guidance who told us we had no appointment, nor could we make one ourselves and when we explained the trouble we were having getting through to someone we were told "sorry that's not my job" by the rather disrespectful receptionist. it is now the 7th on the day I’m writing this and we have still not had any contact from the midwife or any of their colleagues despite leaving messages on a daily basis. i can understand things go wrong and dont expect smooth sailing all the time but i feel the way we have been neglected by the "service" you offer is not acceptable. im fairly certain a young pregnant woman endures enough stress as it is without staff letting them down and uncertainty of ever receiving a definitive answer looming over her shoulders. long story short i feel the maternity unit in general has let us down and i think its fair to say that after this experience i will most definitely not be passing on a good word or recommendation nor will i be looking to use your services in the future.

I do hope you will contact me in an attempt to rectify the issue we are having and I eagerly await your response.
Best regards,

Curtis M

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Caspian Sutherland gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional team on Ward 31!

I had the Nuss Procedure early this July and was astounded by the high level of care and attention given to patients. Prior to the operation, I was transported to the cardio thoracic theatres, the process was extremely smooth and all the staff were really friendly and humorous helping to put me at ease. Following the operation, I was transferred to the HDU in Ward 31. All the staff were bubbly, well organised and punctual and I couldn't have asked for a better service. I'd like to thank Ward 31 for their excellent work. Caspian

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Matt P gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

General Surgery on a Sunday

I would just like to thank everyone involved in my recent gallbladder removal, from the nurse on the ward who had to help me do up my hospital gown (you know they really are hard to tie from behind I just couldn't manage it) to the anaesthetist and ODP. I was taken care of, was respected and all this on a Sunday, especially fathers day.

I know they do great jobs with the resources they have available and I know they are under pressure but the care, compassion and respect they showed me really made me feel like they were looking after me and had my best interests at heart.

Great job, guy and girls and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 27 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Bernard gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful caring and comforting attention given to me.

Excellent support and comfort to me as a patient. A small concern of the effect of the drugs probably necessary when recovery takes place. I got myself upset at what I thought I seen I'd selling of alchol cigarettes and spirits to patients and people coming in off the street.i was convinced this was happening and was a bit aggressive to the wonderful staff. I can only apologise for this I also observed other patient around this time have problems identifying where they where and being aggressive towards the staff is this the general side effect of the drugs.if so patients should be warned.apart from this incident the staff nurses,nurses auxiliary personnel were wonderfull. Thank you Bernard graham

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 07 July 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Tracy cairns gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity unit

I would like to say how extremely happy I am with the staff at the maternity unit they are absolutely fantastic nothing was too much trouble for them , all our needs were catered for and they constantly checked on us at all times .

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 June 2016

Good afternoon.

Thank you for your comments in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received on the Maternity Unit at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the organisation. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk

For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for either of these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards

Thank you again for your email.

01642 854807

Cunni13 gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I have visited the endoscopy centre twice now, and I have to say I found all staff friendly and helpful. Both times I did not have to wait long, The first visit was with the consultant, and all staff were very proficient and professional. The second visit was the procedure itself, and again fast, friendly and professional.

I would like to thank all the staff at the endoscopy centre for their professionalism and dignity shown to myself on both occasions I visited.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Breathing problems

A/e i have been there a few times and the staff know me but I went yesterday and was seen by a nurse practioner, they said I was ok to go hme but wen I got hme I felt ev n worse I would not go back as don't want the nurse practioner to c me again I bag a lot of respect for all the a/e staff but just 1person has really got me upset ijust would like to say thankyou to nearly all a/e staff as I can be a pain so thank you from the bottom of my heart

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 18 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Ward 32

Some staff were rude and very inconsiderate to support/care in the two days I witnessed my wife's hospital stay. She could not wait to get home.
Day 1 waited for 4 hours to get bed lien and pillow cases, dirty bins. Took a while to change.
Staff on shift some good some not bothered and could not wait for their shift to finish.
After operation lack of compassion just treated like a secon class citizen.
No dignity, no compassion, uncaring for a lot of staff. Discharge nurse however spent time and talked through everything,
Nursing staff to change their culture on this ward and show that they care!! and not just the chosen few.
No integrity

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrs M gave Surgery - Breast at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast clinic

Fantastic service by fantastic staff. Everyone lovely, polite, professional and thorough. Thank you

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 28 May 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 07 June 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently received at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

Thank you again for your kind words. Please telephone PALS if there is anything else we can help you with.

01642 854807

Anonymous reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Surgical admission unit

I would like to say thank you to all the staff Each and every one of the staff were very caring and empathetic

Nothing was too much for them at all

The staff made me feel welcome and comfortable therefore able to easily ask questions

Also the anaesthetist and the team made me feel relaxed as I was very nervous. The consultant was very good as usual, they changed my quality of life in 2014 and I thank the consultant for that

Many thanks again

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 June 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting the Trust to express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received on the Surgical Admissions Unit at The James Cook University Hospital.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344.

Thank you again for your compliment, it is much appreciated.