The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Good service at Endoscopy unit

I visited endoscopy unit Feb 2016.The nurses,consultant and gynaecologist were very caring.The information was explained clearly about the procedure and staff were re assuring in theatre.
I was disappointed that I didn't get any information on the day how the operation went and have to wait 8 weeks.This seems a long time for peace of mind.However overall the service was very good.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Elaine reviewed Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital

Nightmare leaving the car park!

My dad has just been transferred to coronary care so is a stressful time both for him and me. I am writing this review while trying to leave the car park. So far it has taken nearly an hour and I'm nowhere near getting out! I can't believe this situation! It needs urgently looking at.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 February 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments regarding car parking at The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause to complain at such a difficult time and we will of course investigate the issue you have raised.
I should be grateful if you would provide us with a contact telephone number or email address to enable us to provide you with feedback once your concerns have been investigated. You can contact us by email on PALS@stees.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01642 854807.

Many thanks for contacting us

Anonymous gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Car parking is a joke

It took 20 mins today to locate a car parking space it appeared that one of the car parks was closed v2. Cars were backed up blocking entrances. The situation has not improved over the last 18 months despite promises that you were doing something about the situation.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 08 February 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 February 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding car parking at The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course provide you with feedback. I should be grateful if you could provide us with a contact telephone number or email address to enable us to contact you. Our email address is PALS@stees.nhs.uk or you can contact us on 01642 854807.

Your sincerley

IG & Patient Safety Advisor

Anonymous gave Infectious Diseases at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Worrying symptoms

I had worrying symptoms therefore referred to James Cook hospital Darlington Memorial Hospital and One Life Centre within one week have seen 3 consultants given X-rays and CT scan the staff very friendly efficient caring and professional
The best health service in the world with staff we need to keep here !!!!!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 25 January 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you ahve received from The James Cook University Hospital, Darlington Memorial Hospital and the Onelife Centre, Middlesbrough.
I should be grateful if you could email me your name, address, and date of birth which will enable me share your kind words with the relevant teams. My email address is PALS@stees.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you could contact me on 01642 854807.

Miss Barbara Bellamy
IG & Patient Safety Advisor

Alison Prunty gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic support and care from the maternity team

I had my second baby at James Cook on New Years Day and once again the service and care was fantastic. The staff were friendly, supportive and helpful. They made me as comfortable as possible and couldn't do enough for us - drinks/ food/ checking we were ok/ commenting how cute the baby was etc. The midwife was fab - despite me shouting at them!!! Thank you very much for all the help! Room was great, husband could stay. They allowed my parents to visit as soon as baby was born. They didn't rush us, helped me get a bath and were really helpful in terms of establishing breastfeeding.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Good morning Alison
Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff for the care and treatment you received during your stay at The James Cook University Hospital for the birth of your baby.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes to you and your family

wintervamp reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Care received at James Cook University Hospital past & current regarding my

This is a brief summary of my feeling regarding care of my elderly parents past & present.
Firstly I would like whole-heartedly to Thank the staff of intensive care & A& E inparticular an Army male doctor whom I know not his name who went above & beyond to properly, finally diagnose correctly my fathers illness. It was his dilligence that gave myself. mother & siblings vital time to come to very quick term with his dual terminal illnesses. This in turn gave us time to do all he wished whilst he remained with us. at a beyond distressing time. He gave the gift, (however briefly) of sometime no money could buy...Time to say Goodbye on our own & my fathers terms... simply beyond price.
Secondly I wish to thank & say that again it is the staff whom now deal with my fiecely independent 84year old mother with kindness, concern, patience and gentle humour something exceptionally appreciated currently, especially by myself.
Lastly I feel Not enough praise is given to the small every-day care & kindness of staff it may seem small but ut makes more difference than can be expressed. An quick example... today a young male nurse in neurological department was so attentive & easing as to assist me to calm a tired, panicing mother who he fitted a neck-brace to. You can not teach mannors & politeness such as that gentleman showed.
In short all walks of life are constantly catered for to varying degress in hapoy events & sad ones alike. but to care for a stranger which such dedication is a wonderous thing indeed.
I personally have taken time to write this just as so many indivduals that comprise all staff have for tge two most important people to me with respect & dignity complete. Thank you is a small thing to saybut its honourably meant.
Thank you for your continued care of my amazing mother.
Thank you for giving my father his dignity & comfort in his passing.
Above all.
Thank you. Xx

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Barbara Bellamy, South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 February 2016

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff fir the care and treatment afforded to your parents. Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your father.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you aking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them. I should be grateful if you could contact me on 01642 854807 to provide me with further information, to enable me to log your compliment to the correct staff.
It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives.
We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk
For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for either of these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards
Many thanks again for your kind words.
With best wishes to you and your faily.

Patient Opinion Logo

Mark Wilson gave Vascular surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks to the vascular surgery team

I would like to thank the vascular surgery team and all the staff on ward 6, for the dedication and professional care I received before and after my open repair operation on my abdominal aorta aneurysm. The level of care was of an excellent standard which made my stay very comfortable after a difficult operation, which also enabled a speedy and safe recovery. I cannot thank the vascular surgery team enough for this life saving operation . I am only 43years of age and can now look forward to the rest of my life with my beautiful family.

Thanks again
Mark Wilson

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 January 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 February 2016

Good afternoon Mr Wilson

Thank you for your feedback, in which you thank staff for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital for surgery.
I shall certainly share your kind words with the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

We welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognise the important contribution nursing and midwifery make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you may wish to nominate online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards/.

Many thanks again for your kind words

Senior Nurse gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disrespectful staff

I had an appointment for a scan and had to attend the X-ray department. I arrived 10 minutes before my appointment time and took my place to wait to be called to book in. There was one receptionist sat staring into a computer and another kept walking backwards and forwards into a room behind the desk. Occasionally they would whisper something to the receptionist sitting down. At no point was I acknowledged and as time went by I was having difficulty standing due to my osteoarthritis. I was with my husband and after 10 minutes I remarked to him that I was now late for my appointment so this receptionist sat staring at the computer screen looked up and said "I won't be long I'm just catching up". At this point there was a queue of about 8-10 patients. 15 minutes passed by when another receptionist came out of the room at the back and shouted "next". They took my appointment letter asked my date of birth which I gave then asked for my address which I refused to give in front of a waiting room full of patients, they said it was procedure but I still refused and I will give my reason for this. I am a recently retired Senior Nurse and I can clearly recall approximately 15 years ago a patient making a complaint regarding being asked her address in a clinic where there were other patients. She gave very valid reasons for her concerns the main one being anyone listening could easily work out her home was probably empty. A recommendation was made that this question was not to be asked. Obviously time has gone by and the powers that be think it should be asked which is ridiculous because my address is on the appointment letter I handed to the receptionist.
The attitude of the clerical staff is appalling, not acknowledging patients and being too busy "catching up" to be bothered is one of the worst cases I've come across. I seriously think they need to look for another job where they aren't inconvenienced by the people who are keeping them in a job. As X-ray isn't on the list of departments in the drop down facility (are we not allowed to complain about them) I have had to choose another.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 08 December 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 14 December 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience during your visit to the x-ray department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern and I have shared your comments with senior managers within the Centre for Clinical and Diagnostic Secvices.
I would be grateful if you would telephone the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team to provide us with your contact telephone number or email us on: pals@stees.nhs.uk and a member of the management team will be able to contact you with feedback once they have investigated your concerns.

Yours sincerley

Miss Barbara Bellamy
IG & Patient Safety Advisor

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Second visit, second terrible experience

The first visit was for the birth of my son, the midwives don't seem to have much care for patients even to the point where a midwife left my wife in tears put her coat on and went home.
My 11 month old son was really poorly and admitted on Sunday 12/15 with possible meningitis. As soon as they found out he didn't have meningitis we were basically forgot about. We was left in a room for 5 hours in total and not once did I nurse or doctor come in to give us an update or ask if we needed anything. We were told he needed bloods taken then everyone just disappeared, I was even stood at the reception when I nurse walked straight past me, went into their office and started chatting to another nurse. Their excuse was 'we don't have enough staff'. The attitude of some staff at that hospital on the children's department is terrible, they are miserable and give the impression they couldn't care less.
Take my advice and take your child somewhere else

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 16 December 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 December 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you and your family have received from The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause to complain and we would like to investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient, Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807, to provide us with further information to enable us to investigate the issues you have raised.
PALS

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity Unit High Dependency.

My daughter was admitted to James Cook to be induced on the 19th November 2015. She was cared for by a lovely midwife, who my daughter told me put her at ease. The midwife explained everything that was going to be done. She then moved to High Dependency ((Because of GD), the midwife again was so good and caring. After 7 hours in labour my beautiful Grandson Lincoln was born. The delivery was something I will never forget and the midwives where all superb. My daughter was then moved to one of the maternity wards, where she stayed until the 21st November. Again her care was second to none. I would like to thank all of the staff who cared for my daughter and grandson.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 15 December 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 December 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you thank staff for the care and treatment afforded to your daughter when she was admitted to The James Cook University Hospital for the birth of her baby in November.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward you kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes to you all