The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Tracy cairns gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity unit

I would like to say how extremely happy I am with the staff at the maternity unit they are absolutely fantastic nothing was too much trouble for them , all our needs were catered for and they constantly checked on us at all times .

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 02 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 June 2016

Good afternoon.

Thank you for your comments in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received on the Maternity Unit at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the organisation. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk

For further information or if you wish to nominate staff for either of these awards, please visit online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards

Thank you again for your email.

01642 854807

Cunni13 gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I have visited the endoscopy centre twice now, and I have to say I found all staff friendly and helpful. Both times I did not have to wait long, The first visit was with the consultant, and all staff were very proficient and professional. The second visit was the procedure itself, and again fast, friendly and professional.

I would like to thank all the staff at the endoscopy centre for their professionalism and dignity shown to myself on both occasions I visited.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Breathing problems

A/e i have been there a few times and the staff know me but I went yesterday and was seen by a nurse practioner, they said I was ok to go hme but wen I got hme I felt ev n worse I would not go back as don't want the nurse practioner to c me again I bag a lot of respect for all the a/e staff but just 1person has really got me upset ijust would like to say thankyou to nearly all a/e staff as I can be a pain so thank you from the bottom of my heart

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 18 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Matt P gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

General Surgery on a Sunday

I would just like to thank everyone involved in my recent gallbladder removal, from the nurse on the ward who had to help me do up my hospital gown (you know they really are hard to tie from behind I just couldn't manage it) to the anaesthetist and ODP. I was taken care of, was respected and all this on a Sunday, especially fathers day.

I know they do great jobs with the resources they have available and I know they are under pressure but the care, compassion and respect they showed me really made me feel like they were looking after me and had my best interests at heart.

Great job, guy and girls and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 27 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Ward 32

Some staff were rude and very inconsiderate to support/care in the two days I witnessed my wife's hospital stay. She could not wait to get home.
Day 1 waited for 4 hours to get bed lien and pillow cases, dirty bins. Took a while to change.
Staff on shift some good some not bothered and could not wait for their shift to finish.
After operation lack of compassion just treated like a secon class citizen.
No dignity, no compassion, uncaring for a lot of staff. Discharge nurse however spent time and talked through everything,
Nursing staff to change their culture on this ward and show that they care!! and not just the chosen few.
No integrity

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrs M gave Surgery - Breast at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast clinic

Fantastic service by fantastic staff. Everyone lovely, polite, professional and thorough. Thank you

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 28 May 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 07 June 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently received at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the positive feedback received from you.

Thank you again for your kind words. Please telephone PALS if there is anything else we can help you with.

01642 854807

Anonymous reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Surgical admission unit

I would like to say thank you to all the staff Each and every one of the staff were very caring and empathetic

Nothing was too much for them at all

The staff made me feel welcome and comfortable therefore able to easily ask questions

Also the anaesthetist and the team made me feel relaxed as I was very nervous. The consultant was very good as usual, they changed my quality of life in 2014 and I thank the consultant for that

Many thanks again

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 10 June 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting the Trust to express your gratitude for the care and treatment recently received on the Surgical Admissions Unit at The James Cook University Hospital.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognises the important contribution nurses and midwives make to patients and their families on a day-to-day basis. Forms to nominate nurses and midwives for a Nightingale Award are available from the Director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344.

Thank you again for your compliment, it is much appreciated.

IG and Patient Safety Advisor

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Trauma outpatients

I was disgusted with my care in the trauma outpatients department at James Cook hospital. I waited an hour for my appointment, which yes I understand there can be delays this was not my issue but it does not help circumstances. I had came in for a referral, which can I add that I got lost in the system and have been waiting over a year for this referral, ringing up countless times and being told I would be contacted back which never happened, I had to force them to stay on the phone so I could actually get somewhere. Then when going into my appointment I was treated like a child, I understand that I'm only 19 but I deserve to be treat like an adult and not patronised, the doctor was incredibly rude, did not listen to a word I was saying and at the end even walked away at the end of my 5 minute appointment without any answers, not knowing where I am going with anything. I would never recommend a friend to go there especially not to see the doctor I did, disgusting care.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 11 May 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 19 May 2016

Good morning

Thank you for feedback via the NHS Choices Website.

I am very sorry for your experience in the Trauma Outpatients Department and with previous referrals to this service.

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on 01642 854807, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5pm to enable us to take your concerns forward.

Again, please accept my apologies for your experience.

Thank you.

IG and Patient Safety Advisor

Neil Anderson gave Older people's services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 12

My Grandmother sadly passed away yesterday and I would like to thank all the staff in Ward 12 for their care & compassion at this very sad time.

At all times professional & informative without being too regimental, thank you again.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 05 April 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 13 April 2016

Good afternoon Mr Anderson
Thank you for your feedback in which you thank staff for the care and treatment your late grandmother received, during her stay on Ward 12 at The James Cook University Hospital.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us at such a difficult time. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Yours sincerely
Barbara Bellamy
IG & Patient Safety Advisor

Anonymous reviewed Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital

Paediatric day unit

Could you pass on our thanks to the Doctor and nurses who treated our baby grandson ( James) last night, 5/4/16.
They were professional and thorough but also very reassuring and helpful.
We were very grateful as we were on holiday and didn't know the hospital or area, which made us feel more anxious.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 13 April 2016

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback in which you thank staff for the care and treatment afforded to your baby grandson, James on 5 April 2016.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

Yours sincerely