The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

H Jane MacNamara reviewed Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital

Gynaecology, day patient for removal of endometrial polyp

I received outstanding care in the Women and Children's Centre at the James Cook Univ Hospital and would like to thank all the staff involved in my treatment as a day patient. The Consultant Gynaecologist was excellent in their listening skills, attention to detail and lovely manner throughout. I have seen many consultants over the years (I am 67 years old) but it was so refreshing to see one of this calibre, someone who was willing and able to take a holistic approach to my medical condition. The information I received prior to my operation made me feel more relaxed and confident too.
The pre admission telephone interview was done in a thoroughly professional and caring manner and the team of nurses in the SAU couldn't have been nicer. Thank you all very much.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 17 June 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding your admission to the Centre for Women & Children at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellence

I have recently come under the care of the Professor and their team. I wish to thank the Professor and their Registrar for their excellent care. Although I am a qualified staff nurse they have never presumed my knowledge about my diagnosis and treatment options. They have managed my care completely and I feel safe in their hands. The outpatient reception staff are always friendly. I was also pleased to be asked to use the hand gel when entering the department.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you are currently receiving from the Endocrinology Department at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the Professor and his staff, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Miss Helen Newman
Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints.

breatheasy gave Ear, Nose & Throat at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ent

brilliant service from start to end .sinus surgery on female admission s .very organised from start to end -all staff kind and easy to relate to .medical secretary -slick -so i got in as soon as place free .many thanks to all wonderful nursing and medical staff ,short staffed but running to make it look easy for us .meals -fine -plenty to eat -water always available .nice clean hospital .hope the world treats you all as you treat us -with kindness and care .

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your kind words about the care and treatment you received during your stay at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

I do hope you are recovering well.

Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Trauma Care

I had to use this service a few weeks ago, the staff were utterly professional and talked through what would happen next, but also knew when and when not to lighten the mood, which is very reassuring.

I hope not to have to use this service again but have peace of mind about the excellent staff if their help is needed again.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 30 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 June 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you received during your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to contact us and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Diane Patton gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ankle Fusion Procedure

I was admitted to the hospital on 18th May for the above operation. From the first moment I went into admissions I was treated with respect and professionalism. I was very very nervous and all the staff I spoke to were there to reassure me. After the op I was transferred to ward 36 and again tbe staff were very kind andconsiderate. All the staff on ward 36 were exemplary and all went the extra mile to make my stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. I would like to thank all the staff for their kindness and professionalism. I would like to commend especially all the staff on ward 36 they were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, when I was no weight bearing on my right foot. Thank you to everybody who looked after me fo my 2 days stay, it was very much appreciated, by me and my family. Diane Patton

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you thanks staff for the care and treatment you received during your admission to the James Cook University Hospital for ankle fusion surgery. I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I am pleased to learn that staff were professional and friendly and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

We welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognise the important contribution nursing and midwifery make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you may wish to nominate online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards/.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Yours sincereley

Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Mrs M Wild gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My dad has recently been a patient on Ward 5

Care and compassion and utter professionalism seen in the care provided to my 81 year old father thank you. Special mention to one staff nurse who went above and beyond the call of duty.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 27 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 May 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment your father received, during his stay on Ward 5 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read your kind comments.

Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Debbie Fenly gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Transfer for CT scan

I unfortunately suffered a head injury and sustained severe concussion. Due to this I was unable to communicate, I was confused, in severe pain and felt dizzy and nauseous. Despite this the staff at James Cook were cold and unsympathetic, in particular, the nursing staff. My husband requested pain relief for me but this was ignored, the only person who noted I was photosensitive was the porter who turned the light off, and when my speech did return and I was allowed home, this nurse in charge told me to sit in the waiting room for my transport. This was despite the fact that I was barely able to sit up. I was told that little old ladies were waiting on trollies, however, this was not the case and the department was not busy. I wondered if the lack of empathy shown by nursing staff perhaps came from the senior nurse whose main interest was turfing people out rather than their welfare. This attitude was markedly different to my experience at Darlington A&E earlier that day, who were kind and compassionate, this was exactly what I needed when I was afraid and in pain.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, regarding your experience when you attended the Accident & Emergency Department.
I am sorry you have cause for concern about the care and treatment you received and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and provide us with further information.

Mrs Karen Harwood
Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Johnrich gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service by attentive and friendly staff

Staff made me very welcome and I put me at ease the doctor explained everything in great detail. The staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble.
The procedure was completed in a professional and dignified manner .
And the after procedure also first class. And the fact the doctor came round the ward after just two hours and explained that the operation was a success and what after care I should do on my return home.
From the start of my problem eight weeks ago, when assess in Hartlepool hospital then to North tees and finally the procedure in the James Cook .the service of the NHS was excellent at all of the hospitals

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 May 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff for the care and treatment you have received from The James Cook University Hospital.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

ruth collings gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

a&e visit

After a nasty fall I went to a&e to check for broken bones. I was pleasantly surprised to be checked, x-rayed and fitted with a leg brace all within 1 hour 30 minutes. Friendly staff and very efficient receptionist made it a comforting experience. Thanks to all.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 May 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments, regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn that staff were friendly and efficient in your care and treatment and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

I do hope you are recovering well.

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave General Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Nurse and doctor/consultant laughing at me

I was in ward 1 then got transfered to ward2. I told a nurse something personal, they told this certain doctor and started laughing at me. I got really upset.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 09 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 13 May 2015

Good morning. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you are unhappy about the treatment you received and we would like to look into this for you.
I would be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, and our staff will be able to discuss your concerns further and provide you with some feedback.