The James Cook University Hospital

01642 850850 Marton Road , Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW

Henry Lightfoot gave Stroke services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cartoid endarterectomy

Following the above surgery I wish to express my feelings towards the staff involved. Initially I was given the ins and outs of the procedure in minute detail, after which I was introduced to the anesthetist again extremely helpful and finally the procedure was carried out by an excellent surgeon to whom I cannot praise too highly. Once in the high dependency general I was attende to by a nurse who was extremely proficient in my after care. After this I was taken to ward 6 and again given excellent care from the staff. Finally all I can say to all involved is a big thank you.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 08 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Lyn S gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Service

We arrived at James Cook via GNAAS from Cumbria not knowing at all what to expect. From the helicopter crew & the porters that met us on the helipad right through to being discharged the service could not be faulted. My daughter had sustained a nasty leg injury which was seen swiftly and we we admitted what felt to be reasonably quickly. The A&E staff were amazing and very patient with her, right through from ward staff, anethatists and the surgeon them self she was made to feel very cared for. The wards were clean and bedding changed many times during our stay and Erin loved the food. A massive thanks for a great team.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

AngelaC gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

I was so worried after being referred under a two week rule. I am excellent at complaining but I this occasion could find absolutely no fault with the faultless treatment I received. Appointment Monday operation performed less than 24 hours later on Tuesday (could not have got better treatment privately). I have a fear of hospitals and the staff, however I have to say the consultant is one of the nicest peopleI have ever met, what a credit to James Cook Hospital they are. Could not fault the staff either who were equally as lovely. Absolutely amazing. Thank you so so much you have changed my life - for the better! If you Find yourself in a similar position to me - please don't be afraid, you will be treated with dignity and respect at all times. I am so impressed - hope you all get some recognition for the wonderful service you provide.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 06 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

PCavsnr gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st class care

From the start of my condition(heart attack) to the finished operation the care received was first class , I would like to thank all the persons involved from the Paramedic and ambulance crew and all the Doctors & staff and ward assistance and porters in wards 15,29 &30 you made my ordeal less stressful and not forgetting the Doctor and crew who fitted my stent the whole process was caring....Thank you..

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

maternity ward

i was very happy with the way the birth of my baby went, the midwifes were polite friendly and very helpful. i wanted a water birth and they did all they could to make this happen for me, unfortunatly when had 2nd check i was unable to go back into the pool, due to baby apearing very quickly. Very happy with the way both me my partner and baby were treated.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

PARKING

Parking is a Joke there is not enough parking spaces for the size of the hospital. If you are unfortunate enough to have to park in V1 car park be prepared for a route march to the South entrance. This is also not suitable for anyone who is not able to walk very far but dose not qualify for a disable badge. My brother aged 69 had to stop a number of times and sit on anything he could find to rest this also happened one very wet day. Another problem is anyone who is distressed arrives at the car park then when leaving dose not realize you have to pay for parking before you leave the building. There should be more prominent notices reminding people to pay for parking before leaving the building these could be in the lifts and also on the entrance/exit doors.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mark richardson gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks James cook

From walking into the hospital to walking out I was well looked after and made to feel at ease and welcome by the whole cardio team and all staff on wards 31/32 I can't speak highly enough of them thankyou and I do appreciate everything you all did for me

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Andrea gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pituitary Surgery

My dad went into hospital on Sunday for endoscopic Pituitary surgeon on Monday. On Sunday I was very nervous about his care. One of the Doctors had no bed side manner and made my father very distressed, when they informed him all the things that could go wrong. I appreciate they need to do this, but it can be done with care and compassion and not sending a frightened man as it was into a panic attack. On Monday the neurosurgeon operated on my father and I have to say, I could not be more pleased with the outcome at the moment. He is being discharged today and has had very little pain and I believe that is due to being operated on by such a wonderful surgeon. My father also very at ease with them and they had a lovely manner to him. We were disappointed that my father had to spend an half and an hour longer in recovery due to their not being a nurse being able to bring him back to the ward. However, that is a funding issue not the nurses and they did look after him very well and others on the ward, particularly in high dependency.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 03 August 2016

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 August 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your kind comments left on the NHS Choices Website expressing gratitude for the care and treatment recently afforded to your father under the care of Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital. I note that you and your father also had concerns regarding the way risks and benefits of surgery was communicated, and the long wait for your father to be brought back to the ward from recovery due to a shortage of appropriate staff.

It is always pleasing to receive a message of thanks and feedback on patient experience, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact the Trust.

I will ensure your comments and also the issues raised are passed to Senior Managers for the relevant area, so the members of staff concerned are made aware of the feedback received from you.

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 if you would like to take this further, or would like some feedback on your enquiry.

Thank you.

Margaret Robinson
IG and Patient Safety Advisor

Hugh H. gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Ward 24 experience

On the 2nd of August I was transferred to James Cook Hospital because a scan showed I had a Subdural Hematoma. After being admitted to Ward 24 things moved quickly and I was readied for surgery. Being almost unable to use my right leg and arm I had grave doubts about any positive outcome and was expecting a long and torturous recovery, if all went well.
Three hours later I woke up in the recovery ward with the recovery nurse holding my right hand, which I was squeezing, hard, I also was able to move my leg as normal. My total emotional relief must have rubbed off on the nurse who got my wife on their mobile for me to talk to. She was waiting for me as a came back up from the recovery ward, thanks to your receptionist who told her where to wait.
I stayed on Ward 24 until discharged on the 5th August in the afternoon. Words alone cannot convey watching the wonderful care and respect shown to every patient from my vantage point of total peace, caused by the fantastic result of my own surgery.
All the staff I had the good fortune to meet are a credit to their profession, I could name most of them, although they know who they are I will always remember the humour they bring to a very stressful, difficult and in some cases unappreciated job.
Can I thank the maroon and yellow angels, head nurses and night staff for keeping me peaceful and safe, the anaesthetist for detailing the procedure, the surgeon for their cure, the physios and cognitive staff for checking if I still had any functions left and finally a member of staff who possesses that rare quality of observational assessment and quick wit needed to keep it all moving in the right direction, yet with the ability to add in a light hearted side to a stressful workload.. My whole family wish to thank you, including my dog that waited for dad to come home by the gate, without you I would not be able to write this.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 07 August 2016

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jade gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 24

I visited ward 25 and then ward 24 after my operation. Other than been cancelled for four days on the emergency list the staff on ward 24 who looked after me after my operation really put me and my family at ease. I then had to go back to ward 24 for a further operation due to complications. Both a staff nurse and student nurse provided care that was second to none and really helped me manage by pain as best they could when I was in agony. Thank you so much to those nurses they deserve recognition. Thank you to all both teams that operated on me also.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 20 August 2016