The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Nicky gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

staff review and training

recent re admission of my daughter suffering from cancer onto the trauma ward 37 in extreme pain. Waited 2 hrs for a doctor to attend with no pain relief as no one on the ward was authorised to give it. Excellent doctor came and authorised pain relief great, but had to wait another hour for another doctor to arrive because no one on the ward was qualified to put the canular in to administer the drug. Surely on a trauma ward there should be someone on duty at all times who is capable of carrying out this procedure. This is not the first time that this has happened, on various wards throughout the hospital we have had to wait for this procedure due to staff not being qualified. Ward 14 does not appear to have this problem as the staff there all seem to be capable.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 11 February 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Mixed feelings

I attended the out patient and have nothing but praise for the consultant. I was treated sympathetically and professionally. However I had to have some blood tests and that's when everything went rapidly downhill. The nurse called my name (I presume she is a sister as her uniform was dark blue) but she wasn't wearing a badge to identify her. That was the only time she looked at me. In a brusque manner she pointed to a seat & told me to sit down. At that point a pillow came hurtling towards me & I was told to rest my arm on it. At this point I would have expected her to introduce herself & explain what she was going to do. She didn't but just starts to take the blood. At this point she asked me my name, address and date of birth without even looking at me & whilst she was taking the blood. I thought you had to identify a patient by checking everything carefully with the patient record. She then roughly put a cotton wool ball and tape over the puncture site. I was then 'dismissed'. She didn't say goodbye or give me any information as to when the results would be available. I am a recently retired nurse having worked for over 41 years in the NHS & I was shocked as to how I was treated by this woman. We would never have got away with treating a patient in this manner. It felt as though I was an inconvenience to her. I am reluctant to formally complain as I know I will be attending the clinic on a regular basis & I don't want this to affect how I'm treated in the future. I only hope I do not have the misfortune to see her again. She needs a swift lesson in compassion and social skills.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 February 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Carbolic gave Sleep Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Sleep clinic ward

Sleep clinic room

The room used for the sleep test is awful.

It's small, dirty, filled with old broken fixtures and a knackered bed. You have to use the top of a rubbish bin as a bedside table.

The equipment they use to monitor your sleep is so restrictive you can't even sit up or turn over in bed without the wires getting tangled or becoming unplugged.

If you want to go to the toilet in the night because of the equipment they use you have to call a member of staff who then has to unplug bits and then gather up all the leads and remove the main unit off the wall so you can trek out of the room down a corridor to a dismal toilet with a poorly locking door and a broken tap. Then they spend another five minutes plugging you back in. And yet I was told before I went that it was fine if I wanted to go to the loo in the night I could just get up, not a problem etc etc. Well actually it wasn't fine, it was a problem and I was made to feel like I was the one causing problems, not their equipment.

Needless to say I ended up being so stressed about the whole thing that I couldn't relax at all as every time I moved something pinged off and the technician had to come back into the room. Rather than just going to sleep you end up having to lie there perfectly still stressing that if you so much as breathe the technician will have to come back in.

You're not allowed any caffeine yet there was no decaffeinated tea or coffee available (a member of staff did go and source some decaf tea bags for the next days sleep tests but only because I whinged.....a lot!) So you end up dehydrated, which won't enable the tests to be reflective of your normal sleep pattern.

You would think that in a department where the idea is to replicate your sleep environment there would be at least some effort by the hospital to make it slightly more homely, yet James Cook seem to have gone out of their way to replicate the worst hospital room ever instead.

The sleep department need to be honest to their patients. Before I went I was led to believe everything would be fine, I could go through the night as I would at home, after all surely that's the whole point isn't it? But it is so far away from a normal nights sleep that if it wasn't for the fact that the patient needs the results to show what sleep is like for them it would be laughable.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Having been induced once at a time that I was not entirely happy with I was...

Having been induced once at a time that I was not entirely happy with I was sent home & told to come back that evening & that a bed was booked at a specific time to be induced again. On return arrival they were full. I was told I had to go to a different ward, that my partner cudnt wait and that if I didn't have it done now they cudnt definitely tell me when they wud induce me again as they were too busy 'maybe 3 days later'. I very reluctantly agreed to stay, altho I was hugely unhappy with the circumstances and was given no advance warning. If they were full they should have called me. I stayed as I was supposed to be in the best place. I was put on a communal ward, I had not come equipped for this. All the lights were left on. I knew I needed sleep & this was my concern. I could not get any sleep as the room was so bright. My partner had gone home forgetting to take his phone charger in the upset. Most horrible time when expecting your first child. Whilst the level of care may be good here. I feel exhausted before labour has even commenced. I don't feel happy or comfortable nor can I gain rest.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 15 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for contacting us to provide feedback regarding your stay at The James Cook University Hospital.
I apologise for the delay in responding to you as there has been a technical issue with the website. I should be very grateful if you would contact me at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500 to discuss your concerns further and provide me with additional information.

Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

I suggest on a night time especially when you get brought into hospital at all..

I suggest on a night time especially when you get brought into hospital at all hours that there's either more vending machines or the trolley comes round more often.. Oh possibly have a shop open till all hours that's bringing you custom and keeping the patient happy x

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding the provision of vending machines and refreshments at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern and I shall certainly forward you comments to the relevant department for their attention. If you would like to receive feedback, please contact me on 01642 854500 or email patient.relations@stees.nhs.uk and provide me your contact details.

Patient Relations Secretary

Absolutely disgusted with lack of compassion

Recently had a baby at James Cook. The midwives on the delivery suite were fantastic, the ward was a different story though. We got sent to the ward because the baby was struggling to feed. We tried for over 24 hours to breast feed but no joy. We decided to ask the staff for a bottle as the baby had been without food for over 6 hours. The look on the nurses face was total disgust, they brought us two bottles then we never saw them again. After 4 hours of being left I finally found the midwife to ask what was going on, her reply was im too busy you will have to wait. When she finally saw us to fill paper work out she had my partner in tears then left the paper work on the table, got up and without saying anything just went home as it was the end of her shift.
We finally got out of there after midnight with a newborn baby, totally disgusted and regret choosing this hospital, if you don't want your special moment ruining stay away from here.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 21 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding you and your wife's experience following the birth of your baby. I am very sorry you have cause to complain and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500 at your earliest convenience to discuss your concerns further and provide me with additional information.

Yours sincereley

Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent receptionists xray

I visit the radiology deptartment and he reception team are always pleasant and very helpful one particiular staff always goes that extra mile to help, . Excellent staff

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 26 January 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

NICKY gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital feedback

After 15 days in hospital my daughter { adult } has been on 6 wards including 13 hours in a cubicle. Tonight at 22-00 hours they tried to move her yet again. Waited 2 days for a blood transfusion -no doctor available - Went for treatment and missed a meal staff could't find a porter so she didn't get anything! On one ward there was only one nurse who could replace the canular and she was on a meal break so the drip was stopped. Felt dizzy and faint in the wash room and pressed her help button, no one came. After 20 mins she managed to get back to her room. Ward 14 is excellent but the rest are an absolute shambles no doctor -- no porter -- no wheelchair -- no pain relief -- no food -- the list is endless! had to take her a blanket in because she is cold.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 16 December 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 December 2014

Good morning.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your daughter's experience during her admission to The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would telephone me on 01642 854500 at your earliest convenience, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Yours sincerley

Patient Relations Secretary

amanda gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

avoid this hospital

If your willing to wait over a year and have 3 operations cancelled one was after i had starved myself got there at 7.30 am to be sent home after 8 hours because 2 operations overran before you then yes pick this hospital

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 22 December 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 29 December 2014

Good morning Amanda. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your wait for surgery. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to provide us with further information, to enable our staff to help you.

Mrs Karen Harwood
Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

RiffsNige gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Taken to James Cook as having heart attack - exemplary care.

From being taken ill with chest pain, then being rushed to Darlington Memorial, I was immediately transferred to James Cook hospital where I was met - about 1.30am Monday morning (November 24) - by surgery staff and taken straight into surgery. After another gulp of morphine I was operated on and was up on the ward in a nice warm bed by 3.45am. After constant monitoring I was discharged just two days later on Wednesday 26th. I really do find it difficult to say how exceptional my treatment was, without sounding over the top or in receipt of funds! Everyone - and I really do mean everyone - was so professional, competent, yet approachable with just the right amount of friendliness. If I was Royalty I really do not see how I could have been treated any differently. A very traumatic experience that was improved many-fold by the excellent and obviously devoted staff at James Cook. I remember a doctor there saying to me 'Well, you don't smoke, you don't drink, and you eat healthily and exercise - you really are unlucky.' After my experience at that wonderful hospital, on the contrary, I consider myself very lucky!!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 27 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 November 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital on 24 November 2014. I am pleased to learn the treatment you received was exceptional and I shall certainly forward your kind comments to the staff involved, who will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery

Mrs Karen Harwood