The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Review of maternity care

I can honestly say that the staff and care that I and my partner were given during both of my pregnancies and labor were excellent. In 2011 I gave birth on the low dependency unit on the Marton suite. The rooms were excellent, and like mini hotel rooms, clean and tidy, which is all you could want. The midwife was caring and took care of all of our needs, I never felt worried or anxious as the midwife regularly checked up on me and took time to talk me through the whole process, easing my nerves. Sadly in 2013 we lost our baby and I had to deliver at James cook. The staff in the ultra sound department were outstanding, helping us through such a difficult time, I honestly cant thank them enough. The midwives again were outstanding, and are a really caring and dedicated team who will look after you, in good times and bad! An excellent maternity ward; I would, and have recommended this maternity unit to many friends who are expecting.

Visited in September 2013. Posted on 13 April 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care yet again.

I have now undergone three operations to correct orthopaedic problems and my care has been exemplary throughout. The highest standards were maintained by everyone from cleaning staff to the plaster room technicians to orthopaedic, anaesthetic, theatre, ward and SAU staff. I felt fully informed and involved in my care and cannot recommend this team more highly.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 11 April 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 15 April 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the high standard of care and treatment you have received from The James Cook University Hospital.
I shall certainly forward you kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

michael gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 2 short stay

i had to stay in ward 2 as there where no beds available in the department i needed to go to.i was in a side room, i found the staff very attentive, polite, respectful and helpful, this extended right down to cleaning staff..the room was kept very clean with cleaners coming in every day. the meals where served hot and promptly,i was checked on many many times by staff.having been in this hospital before i found this very reassuring.i was never in pain as i was given pain relief when needed.i think all the staff at ward 2 night staff included deserve a huge thank you for making what was a hard time for me much much better.
i cannot overstate the kindness showed and the attentiveness shown by all concerned in my care on that ward. simply thank you all.kind regards .

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 27 March 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 March 2014

Good morning Michael

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay on Ward 2 at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn you found the staff attentive and helpful during what must have been a difficult time for you. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff invloved in your care and treatment and I am sure they will be equally pleased to read them.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye accident

Once again James Cook has proven to be an excellent hospital. Last year my father sadly passed away at the hosptial and his care and treatment was unbelievable. The staff could not have been kinder to him and to the family and as a very elderly man he was treated with utmost respect and caring.Recently we were once again plunged into the world of the NHS this time for a severe eye accident. Once again both my and my husbands treatment from the paramedics through to the nurses, porters and consultants could not have been better, caring and supportive, wards spotless and treatment excellent. what can I say, non of us want to end up in a hospital but when we do then James Cook has to be the best one I have ever been to and as a newcomer to the area I have experience of others around the UK.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 19 March 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 27 March 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you and your family have have received from The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn that staff were caring and supportive to your late father last year andmore recently, to you and your husband. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Neurology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

staff dont listen ,and do as they please.

after two M.R.I, scans staff seemed reluctant to treat me without trying to force a lumber punch upon me.suffering from a problem being unsteady on my feet they offered no help in getting around,all they wanted to do is lumber punch.after a two day stay in a side room i was awoken by a nurse taking the brakes off my bed and forcibly pulling my bed into a bay.telling me i was to be moved.they took blood around 6 times and when asked why they replied "i don`t know what its for".i had to ask for water!. i saw one cleaner in my 4 day stay.the bed side tv costs £20 for three days and hardly ever worked, a constant buzz on the sound.the consultants have the weekend off. so dont go in weekends.over all rude staff (above catering staff ect) the higher the rank the ruder they are.no-where to park, staff stand around at night laughing loudly keeping patients awake.given a choice i would definitely choose a different hospital.try the friarage hospital .in all i would have had more care at home.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 14 March 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 19 March 2014

Good afternoon.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you had such a negative experience. If you would like to discuss your concerns please contact Helen Wilson Clinical Matron for Neurosciences on 01642 835712.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E attendance

Attended A&E with a my child who had a head injury. Very prompt and professional triage from a delightful Registered Nurse.

Medical assessment was excellent, patient centred and reassuring.

It is good to know we have such a capable A&E Team serving our local area.

Many thanks.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 12 March 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 13 March 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn that staff were reassuring and you are pleased with the care and treatment your child received.
I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved who will be equally pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Susan Cross gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E admission

From the paramedics that came to my home on Sunday 2nd March to the staff at the department the people I met that night to a man were pleasant, caring respectful and efficient. What could have been a frightening experience for me and my family was made safe and caring.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 05 March 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 06 March 2014

Good morning Susan

Thank you for your feedback, in which you praise paramedics and staff at The James Cook University Hospital, for the efficient and respectful care and treatment they provided. I am pleased to learn that staff were able to provide a caring and safe environment for you and your family at what must have been a very worrying time. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk should you wish to pursue this.

Anonymous gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Experience of JCUH

I recently attended JCUH occupational health department in order to obtain a blood test for starting an NHS course at the local university.
Firstly, I had to travel around 2 and a half hours, which i did not of course mind due to my choice to relocate, and attended the department. I arrived early and they saw me straight away which I was very grateful of. Unfortunately that's where the provisions of 'good' care stopped.
I was not asked for 'informed' consent, as I was unaware of exactly what my blood test was actually testing for and I was not explained fully the repercussions of any findings. Personally I find given blood a negative experience as a whole due to past events however this did not help to improve my feelings.
I went away from my test to be greeted with a letter a week or two later saying I needed to contact the department urgently. I tried to ring after I returned from work that evening to be told the department was closed and I would have to wait until Monday- 3 whole days! When i eventually got in touch after a rather panicked weekend I was told they nurse had mislabeled the blood bottle, a mistake which would have been picked up on had she had me check, and another sample was required. Due to the distance I was told I could have my blood test taken at my GP at home and the results faxed over.
I heard nothing back from this an assumed everything was OK, based on information i had initially been told by the first Nurse, until I arrived at University and was told i'd apparently never had a blood test ( I can assure you they did occur!!)
I received a letter to my old home address saying a appointment with your department was needed. When I rang up and explained the situation I was told my second blood test didn't count as there was no proof of ID and a third test was required.
By this point I was quite distressed having three tests when just one was required. Eventually i had my third test and was left with a bruise the size of a melon on my arm for entering my first placement (which i can assure you was not very settling for all the Service Users who required their own blood tests!!) .
I'm yet again to hear the actual results of my test and was offered no information regarding obtaining these results.
Whilst the situation was very distressing for me, due to a terrible phobia of personally having needles, I cant help but be annoyed at the cost to the NHS for simple stupid mistakes and lack of communication which could have easily been rectified.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 17 February 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 26 February 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback.
The Occupational Health Department at James Cook are sorry to hear about your recent experience with the team and would like to take the time to understand more about your concerns raised in order to provide a fuller response to you, whilst exploring ways in which they can improve their service in the future.

We would appreciate you contacting the Occupational Health Manager, Pam McCourt on 01642 282482 or email Pamela.mccourt@stees.nhs.uk with your full name and date of birth as soon as possible.

Many thanks
Patient Relations

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

lack of communication with GP/also miss printed paperwork

when been discharged from hospital after a short stay i was given a discharge letter/note
i was told a copy would be sent to my GP by email/e letter the same day no such e letter was sent to my GP in the end after been home from hospital for 7 days i phoned my GP they had to chase down the e letter plus another letter from the department
i was very shocked at the lack of communication from the department to my GP surgery .
it also said on my discharge letter id been given medications except it had medication down that i did not receive or was not given at all ,when i told the nurse i was told it was a misprint don't worry about it .i was shocked by this as if my GP saw this information then it may be assumed i would not need this medication for some time if i had been given it from the hospital only i didnt have it did I no it was a miss print so why did' nt they just reprint it correctly then ? i have tryed to speak to someone about the above an continue to try :( i am very disappointed in the above these things do have an impact on things ! sometimes good or bad :(

Visited in December 2013. Posted on 14 January 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 15 January 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern regarding the lack of information provided to your GP, following discharge from hospital.
I should be grateful if you would contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 0800 0282451 and provide further information, to enable the team to investigate your concerns and provide you with a response.

A and E admission for 86 year old with chest pain

My 86 year old father was admitted to A and E on January 14th at 8am. He was initialy attended at home by 2 very pleasant and efficient Paramedics who made sure that my mother (84) understood the situation, was reassured as to my fathers condition and had someone on hand to look after her. Their decision was to admit my father to A and E for further investigation into his chest pain.
The Doctors and nurses in A and E treated my father with dignity and respect through out his short stay. Thorough investigation demonstrated that my fathers chest pain was probably muscular in origin and thankfully not serious.
He visited radiology for a chest x-ray. The radiographers were kind and respectful and sensitive to my fathers condition, offering extra blankets
when they realized he was feeling quite cold.
My mother was kept informed as to what was happening and what we were waiting for.
When all the test results were reviewed it was decided my father could go home with reassurances that they has done the right thing in going to hospital and that they must return if the symptoms returned or became worse.
My father met lots of different people who all introduced themselves with a smile even though the department was obviously busy.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 14 January 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 16 January 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment afforded to your father, during his admission to The James Cook University Hospital on January 14 2014.
I am pleased to learn that your father was treated with dignity and respect and that your family were kept informed and up to date with regards to his condition. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the relevant staff, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk.

With best wishes to your father