The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Suspected Heart Attack

Transferred from UHND(Dryburn) on Mon.6th Oct. to ward 30, from arrival to discharge I received 1st Class Care/Treatment from all staff, due to a setback I was moved to Ward 31 on the Friday for observation and was discharged on Mon. 13th. Thanks to Nurses, doctors and support staff.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 October 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received from staff during your stay on wards 30 and 31 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Lesley gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st class delivery!

Our son was born at James Cook in September 2014, like all parents we will never forgot the birth of our new baby, but what we will also never forget is the level of care we received.
We were admitted through the low dependency pathway but were transferred to high dependancy shortly afterwards. The staff worked exceptionally hard to stabilise us and deliver our baby safely into the world.
The room/ward was clean, the staff supportive and caring, details explained fully - the whole experience was amazing.
Although my delivery was not what I had planned for, a situation that could of been frightening was made magical by the expert team.
Our midwives are already the stuff of legend within our family!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 20 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital

Unhappy with treatment if a member if staff

I came into hospital with an ananphylexis shock was very poorly and the paramedics were fantastic. I was taken to hospital for treatment on the (19/09/2014)approx 10.15pm. On arrival, the night staff who looked after me were brilliant and I could not fault them, however a member of staff on the day shift was very curt, rude and uncaring, and often referred to me as a number. My daughter came to visit and was so angry at the way the member of staff spoke to me, even when the member of staff took my blood pressure they never spoke to me or made eye contact, and virtually ripped my arm off when removing the blood pressure equipment. Not only was I treated like that but an old lady who was so ill was treat by her disgustingly too, and the patient in the next bed is also sending you a complaint. The member of staff made my stay in that word a nightmare. The rest of the staff were faultless. Especially a lovel caring nurse on the night shit. I'm home now but the treatment of that person has not helped my recovery at all. I also suffer from depression and the member of staff didn't help the situation.

Janice cass.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

Good afternoon Janice.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn the care and treatment you received from the paramedics and night staff was good. I am concerned, however to learn of your experience with a member of staff during the day shift and we will of course investigate this for you. The Trust takes all complaints and concerns seriously.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 at your earliest convenience, where a member of our staff will be able to discuss your concerns in further detail.

Many thanks again for your comments.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

cardiac care

my husband was admitted to James Cook hospital on 25 August this year following two heart attacks. He underwent a triple bypass on 29 August, which was initially successful. Unfortunately, problems developed a few days later and he had to have more surgery to remove a clot round his heart. Following this, his organs began to deteriorate very quickly and he became very very poorly. He is 78 and asthmatic. He contracted chest infections. This wonderful cardiac team, from the consultant to the CICU literally brought him back from the brink. Aftercare then in the HDU saw him discharged from hospital after a long seven weeks! Not only were the staff medically competent but they treated me and the family with utmost respect and kept us informed of all the procedures, progress or otherwise.
Thank you, James Cook.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital

Is this a non-smoking site or not?

I have had to visit James Cook as an outpatient several times in the last 4 months and I have no complaints about any aspect of my treatment following surgery at the Friarage. I have found both clinical and admin staff to be excellent, but the one thing that strikes me every time I attend the hospital is that even though there are signs as you enter saying 'this is a non-smoking site' and 'no smoking' signs outside the entrances, they are completely ignored and no-one appears to enforce it. As I was leaving the hospital yesterday and approached the south entrance, I could smell the smoke before I reached the revolving door. There is just no point to having these signs if no-one is prepared to tackle the problem and ask people not to smoke.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

Good afternoon.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the concerns you have expressed about smoking on site at The James Cook University Hospital. I apologise for the delay in responding to you and am genuinely sorry to hear of your experiences. I can fully understand your feelings in relation to this matter.

Like yourself and many of our staff, patients and relatives, we are very unhappy with the current position and the impact this has on health and wellbeing. I would like to assure you that the Trust wishes to support the rights of non-smokers not to be exposed to second-hand smoke and is doing everything possible to prevent smoking in the hospital grounds. Whilst the Trust does operate a smoke-free policy, regrettably staff are unable to legally stop people from smoking on the hospital site. Whilst legislation bans smoking in public buildings, the Trust does not have the legal power to ban patients or visitors from smoking on the grounds of the hospital.
We do acknowledge however that despite the investment in signs, leaflets, posters, talking smoke detectors at entrances and smoke cessation advisors, we still have huge challenges to eradicate the situation. Led by the Director of Nursing, we have recently reformed a trust wide 'smoke free' group to explore what other options are available to us including:
Writing a work plan which will include signage review
The potential for more regular walk rounds at entrances to ask people to stop smoking and offer support in terms of smoking cessation.
learning from organistations who have had the most success.
We are also looking to designate 'family friendly' areas to promote healthy clean environments which will eventually emcompass all entrances to the hospital.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us, as this input is vital to improve our services.

Lead Nurse / Patient Relations Manager

Nicki gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynelogical theatre team

I was seen in outpatients and operated on within 3 weeks. The whole team were fantastic from start to finish. I was visited on the day by all the team who individually explained what they were all going to do. I can not thank them enough for making my stay a pleasant one. Outstanding

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 04 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received from the Gynaecology Department within The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn your stay was a pleasant one and that staff were able to explain clearly the care and treatment you would be receiving. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

Many thanks again for your comments
Mrs Linda Oliver
Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Daughter admitted to children's ward for planned surgery

Excellent nursing care pre and post op received on ward 22. Staff very friendly especially ward sister and the ward hostess. Only negative is we felt pre-assessment on the day unit was a waste of time for both our daughter and us. 5 minute appointment to explain issues which we felt were discussed within planned initial appointment and that also could have been taken on admission to the ward. ENT consultant was very professional and reassuring.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 19 August 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding you and your daughter's visit to The James Cook University Hospital for your daughter's pre-assessment appointment. I am sorry you found that this appointment was a waste of your time and I shall ensure your comments are forwarded to the relevant department for their information.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact out Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 854807.

Lead Nurse / Patient Relations Manager

sandra gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

suspected heart attack

was admitted from dryburn to james cook on the 13th ugust 2014 with a suspected heart attack had procedure done on the 14th was very nervous the staff on ward 30 and in theatre where they done an angiogram was so very helpful and made me feel better not so anxious thankyou one and all for the help and care I received in both hospitals

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 18 August 2014

Good afternoon Sandra
Thank you for your feedback regarding your admission to The James Cook University Hospital in August 2014. I am pleased to learn that you are happy with the treatment you received and that staff were able to reassure you during your procedure. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes

Lead Nurse / Patient Relations Manager

Pam gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

Admitted for for emergency endoscopy which the thought of terrified me. I had no need to worry as I was unaware of anything once in the treatment room. Brilliant. Thanks to the team and especially the chap who did the procedure.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Good afternoon Pam
Thank you for your feedback regarding the treatment you received during your visit to the Endoscopy Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn the team were able to reassure you and I shall certainly forward your kind words to them.

With best wishes

Patient Experience Co-ordinator.

Gail Hurst gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Unbiased but useful information about my treatment.

Had a small operation to remove re occurring scab on my nose which showed I have B.C.C which can be treated at James Cook or at Newcastle. My consultant has very patiently talked me through my options and after careful consideration I think I will choose to to go to Newcastle although the tests may be more uncomfortable I may save more living cells.
I rather hope that I can have my day of discomfort at Newcastle and have the consultant do the re constructive surgery of my nose at James Cook.. Whatever my final decision/outcome I can only give praise for the team at James Cook. If the surgery was not in the middle of my face I'd probably think differently and be treated at James Cook. By tomorrow morning I may think differently.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 04 August 2014

Good morning Gail.

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you are currently receving for BCC.
I shall certainly forward your thanks on to the staff involved in your care and treatment and I do hope your surgery went well.

Mrs Linda Oliver