The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Having been induced once at a time that I was not entirely happy with I was...

Having been induced once at a time that I was not entirely happy with I was sent home & told to come back that evening & that a bed was booked at a specific time to be induced again. On return arrival they were full. I was told I had to go to a different ward, that my partner cudnt wait and that if I didn't have it done now they cudnt definitely tell me when they wud induce me again as they were too busy 'maybe 3 days later'. I very reluctantly agreed to stay, altho I was hugely unhappy with the circumstances and was given no advance warning. If they were full they should have called me. I stayed as I was supposed to be in the best place. I was put on a communal ward, I had not come equipped for this. All the lights were left on. I knew I needed sleep & this was my concern. I could not get any sleep as the room was so bright. My partner had gone home forgetting to take his phone charger in the upset. Most horrible time when expecting your first child. Whilst the level of care may be good here. I feel exhausted before labour has even commenced. I don't feel happy or comfortable nor can I gain rest.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 15 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for contacting us to provide feedback regarding your stay at The James Cook University Hospital.
I apologise for the delay in responding to you as there has been a technical issue with the website. I should be very grateful if you would contact me at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500 to discuss your concerns further and provide me with additional information.

Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

I suggest on a night time especially when you get brought into hospital at all..

I suggest on a night time especially when you get brought into hospital at all hours that there's either more vending machines or the trolley comes round more often.. Oh possibly have a shop open till all hours that's bringing you custom and keeping the patient happy x

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding the provision of vending machines and refreshments at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern and I shall certainly forward you comments to the relevant department for their attention. If you would like to receive feedback, please contact me on 01642 854500 or email patient.relations@stees.nhs.uk and provide me your contact details.

Patient Relations Secretary

Absolutely disgusted with lack of compassion

Recently had a baby at James Cook. The midwives on the delivery suite were fantastic, the ward was a different story though. We got sent to the ward because the baby was struggling to feed. We tried for over 24 hours to breast feed but no joy. We decided to ask the staff for a bottle as the baby had been without food for over 6 hours. The look on the nurses face was total disgust, they brought us two bottles then we never saw them again. After 4 hours of being left I finally found the midwife to ask what was going on, her reply was im too busy you will have to wait. When she finally saw us to fill paper work out she had my partner in tears then left the paper work on the table, got up and without saying anything just went home as it was the end of her shift.
We finally got out of there after midnight with a newborn baby, totally disgusted and regret choosing this hospital, if you don't want your special moment ruining stay away from here.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 21 January 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding you and your wife's experience following the birth of your baby. I am very sorry you have cause to complain and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500 at your earliest convenience to discuss your concerns further and provide me with additional information.

Yours sincereley

Patient Relations Secretary

NICKY gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital feedback

After 15 days in hospital my daughter { adult } has been on 6 wards including 13 hours in a cubicle. Tonight at 22-00 hours they tried to move her yet again. Waited 2 days for a blood transfusion -no doctor available - Went for treatment and missed a meal staff could't find a porter so she didn't get anything! On one ward there was only one nurse who could replace the canular and she was on a meal break so the drip was stopped. Felt dizzy and faint in the wash room and pressed her help button, no one came. After 20 mins she managed to get back to her room. Ward 14 is excellent but the rest are an absolute shambles no doctor -- no porter -- no wheelchair -- no pain relief -- no food -- the list is endless! had to take her a blanket in because she is cold.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 16 December 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 December 2014

Good morning.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your daughter's experience during her admission to The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would telephone me on 01642 854500 at your earliest convenience, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Yours sincerley

Patient Relations Secretary

amanda gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

avoid this hospital

If your willing to wait over a year and have 3 operations cancelled one was after i had starved myself got there at 7.30 am to be sent home after 8 hours because 2 operations overran before you then yes pick this hospital

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 22 December 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 29 December 2014

Good morning Amanda. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your wait for surgery. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to provide us with further information, to enable our staff to help you.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

RiffsNige gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Taken to James Cook as having heart attack - exemplary care.

From being taken ill with chest pain, then being rushed to Darlington Memorial, I was immediately transferred to James Cook hospital where I was met - about 1.30am Monday morning (November 24) - by surgery staff and taken straight into surgery. After another gulp of morphine I was operated on and was up on the ward in a nice warm bed by 3.45am. After constant monitoring I was discharged just two days later on Wednesday 26th. I really do find it difficult to say how exceptional my treatment was, without sounding over the top or in receipt of funds! Everyone - and I really do mean everyone - was so professional, competent, yet approachable with just the right amount of friendliness. If I was Royalty I really do not see how I could have been treated any differently. A very traumatic experience that was improved many-fold by the excellent and obviously devoted staff at James Cook. I remember a doctor there saying to me 'Well, you don't smoke, you don't drink, and you eat healthily and exercise - you really are unlucky.' After my experience at that wonderful hospital, on the contrary, I consider myself very lucky!!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 27 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 November 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital on 24 November 2014. I am pleased to learn the treatment you received was exceptional and I shall certainly forward your kind comments to the staff involved, who will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery

Mick S. gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Travelling,

No problem with the Hospital or Doctors,Nurses Staff, It,s the travelling getting there, when you live along way from the hospital it,s a nightmare, the parking is horrendous, It,s totally stupid having all that traffic Useing the same entrance. Mick S,

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 09 December 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you ahve cause for concern regarding the problems you are experiencing with travel and parking at The James Cook University Hospital.
I should be grateful if you would contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01642 854807, where you will be able to discuss you concerns further with a member of the team and they can provide you with some feedback.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

endoscopy: need to communicate better with your patients

My mum came to the endoscopy department following a letter she recieved. The letter didn't specify what procedure my mum was getting just that she had an appointment. We assumed that she was getting another endoscopy as she has had one in the past and was presenting with the same complaint so we ensured she hadn't eaten or drank only sips for 6 hours. Upon arriving she was called up to get her weight taken there was no indication what this was for and was sent back to her seat. Only when i went up to the reception desk to enquire what exactly it was that she was getting did they reveal she was mearly here for a consultation. Clearly as my mum had been anticipating a invasive procedure she extremely unhappy and absolutly starving! . It would be in the patients interest in the future to not presume that they are fully informed and let them know what is going on each step of the way.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 November 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your comments regarding your mum's visit to the Endoscopy Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern regardig the information your mum received about her appointment and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01642 854807 at your earliest convenience to provide us with further information and one of our officers will be able to discuss your concerns further with you.

Mrs Linda Oliver
Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Suspected Heart Attack

Transferred from UHND(Dryburn) on Mon.6th Oct. to ward 30, from arrival to discharge I received 1st Class Care/Treatment from all staff, due to a setback I was moved to Ward 31 on the Friday for observation and was discharged on Mon. 13th. Thanks to Nurses, doctors and support staff.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 October 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received from staff during your stay on wards 30 and 31 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

With best wishes for your recovery
Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Grenville gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Decompression Op 31st October 2014

From the moment I visited James Cook I felt a quiet air of efficiency. The registrar answered all my questions and the consultant went through the details of my operation.

The nursing staff on Ward 24 were fantastic throughout. I hesitate to single any one of them out because they were all so good they were on top of their game.
Thank you for making a necessary and uncomfortable time somewhat enjoyable.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 November 2014

Good morning Grenville

Thank you for your feedback regarding your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

With best wishes.