The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Debbie Fenly gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Transfer for CT scan

I unfortunately suffered a head injury and sustained severe concussion. Due to this I was unable to communicate, I was confused, in severe pain and felt dizzy and nauseous. Despite this the staff at James Cook were cold and unsympathetic, in particular, the nursing staff. My husband requested pain relief for me but this was ignored, the only person who noted I was photosensitive was the porter who turned the light off, and when my speech did return and I was allowed home, this nurse in charge told me to sit in the waiting room for my transport. This was despite the fact that I was barely able to sit up. I was told that little old ladies were waiting on trollies, however, this was not the case and the department was not busy. I wondered if the lack of empathy shown by nursing staff perhaps came from the senior nurse whose main interest was turfing people out rather than their welfare. This attitude was markedly different to my experience at Darlington A&E earlier that day, who were kind and compassionate, this was exactly what I needed when I was afraid and in pain.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, regarding your experience when you attended the Accident & Emergency Department.
I am sorry you have cause for concern about the care and treatment you received and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and provide us with further information.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Joyce gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Spinal fusion & Decompreesio March 2015

A big thank you to all in Ward 24 (Neurosurgery). The nursing staff worked tirelessly through to the end of their shift even though they were extremely busy the day I was in.
They made me feel cared for, nursed and at the same time in control.

There appeared to be an excellent team spirit which benefited the people in their care.

My surgeon did a great job with explaining my surgery and the results have so far been very positive and encouraging.

This has been my second stay in James Cook and I would always consider it my treatment centre of choice.
Joyce

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your kind words, regarding the care and treatment you received during your stay on Ward 24 at The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse/ Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff

I couldn't thank the staff enough ,when I had to return from my holiday in America 2days after arriving for an emergency operation I knew I was in good hands . I found them to be very efficient caring,friendly and very informative.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback, in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your stay at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide comments. I shall certainly forward you kind words tot he staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

jasmin yildiz gave Neurology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

great stay

been in and out of ward 25 and then had a 5 day stay to have a shunt fitted i cannot fault anything with that ward the doctors and nurses were amazing even the cleaners made you feel relaxed what ever i want i got and what ever i need they gone and got me it i have never ever had a pleasnt stay in a hospital until now would like to go to this hospital for all treatment thank you ward 25 james cook

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 01 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your stay on Ward 25 at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn that staff made your stay as comfortable as possible and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse / Head of Patient Relations

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Maternity Services

My daughter recently had her first baby at James Cook Hospital.

I would like to thank the superb Midwives that cared for my daughter in the Central Delivery Suite. The Midwives involved provided excellent care delivery and were truly professional in all aspects. The Central Delivery Suite Midwives offered excellent support and were extremely patient centred.

The aftercare on Ward 17 sadly, was not of the same high standard as had been given in the Central Delivery Suite. Having had an emergency Caesarian Section I feel my daughter was not provided with the level of care that she should have had following surgical intervention.

My daughter was pretty much left to fend for herself and her new born whilst she was still numb from the epidural she'd had for surgery. The baby was left in a crib next to my daughter's bed and despite being unable to function properly, there was an assumption my daughter was able to attend to her baby. In addition there was little support to help with bottle feeding and more emphasis was given to those breast feeding.

From my own perspective, there needs to be more support for new parents at a ward level i.e. to advise them about how to bathe baby, feed baby and also with giving advice on what to expect following Caesarian Section.

In addition, the hospital car parking situation is such that new parents can have quite a trek from the Maternity Unit to the main car park. Not such a long time ago it was common practice that one of the nurses would walk out of the ward area with new parents and support them.

As a result of the difficulties my daughter experienced, she would only stay in hospital for a short period of time due to the lack of support on the ward.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 14 April 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment your daughter received during her admission to The James Cook University Hospital for the birth of her baby. I am pleased to learn the care given to your daughter in the Central Delivery Suite was excellent and I have forwarded your kind words to the staff involved. I am sorry however, to learn the aftercare received on Ward 17 was not not of the same standard and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss these issues further and the options available to take them forward.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are valuable to us.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

perssonel trauma

arrived early morning to ward 15 clinic, from a walk in health centre on the morning of the 28th of march. met and exceptionally treated by initially sister. (wow what a diamond) from here on I was prodded and poked by surgical assessment team and transferred to ward 7. professional yes , attentative yes first class treatment yes but above all the perssonel caracters of the staff shine through despite busy days and night shifts. diagnoises ruptured appendix , removed and recovering very well .thankyou james cook ward15 clinic ward 7 and special regards to late night surgical team and i now know how challengeing my problem was to you .

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 12 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 14 April 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

We welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognise the important contribution nursing and midwifery make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you may wish to nominate online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards/

Many thanks again for your kind words

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Recent Surgical Procedure.

A close member of my family recently needed surgery very quickly.
Pre and post op was spent on Ward 35. The Ward environment was calm, clean and organised. The Nursing and Medical Staff were very attentive, caring and respectful in all aspects. Nursing Staff were happy to deal with our queries and responded in a timely manner.

The only difficulty we experienced was a very long time delay in waiting for discharge medications to be returned to the Ward which meant we did not leave the Hospital, until late afternoon.

We appreciate that the Hospital and the Pharmacy are very busy. However if there was a system in place to speed up getting discharge medication back to the ward more quickly, then this might free up beds more quickly.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 12 March 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback in which you thank staff for the care and treatment afforded to a member of your family, during their stay on Ward 35 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them. I have also forwarded your concerns regarding the wait for discharge medication. If you would like to receive feedback with regards to this issue, I should be grateful if you would contact me on 01642 854500.
Many thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Patient Relations Secretary

Keith Wilson gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent heart by pass surgery

I had heart by pass surgery on the 11th of March 2015. The personal care and consideration by the Consultant's team pre and post surgery was excellent. The nursing teams in Intensive Care Unit and recovery wards 31 (during admission pre surgery ), and ward 32 (post surgery) were caring and made my stay most pleasant. Every team member of the wards deserve gold stars for their commitment, dedication to patient care and self esteem. Many thanks for everything.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback, in which you thank staff for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital in March 2015. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Many thanks again for your kind words

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Nicky gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

staff review and training

recent re admission of my daughter suffering from cancer onto the trauma ward 37 in extreme pain. Waited 2 hrs for a doctor to attend with no pain relief as no one on the ward was authorised to give it. Excellent doctor came and authorised pain relief great, but had to wait another hour for another doctor to arrive because no one on the ward was qualified to put the canular in to administer the drug. Surely on a trauma ward there should be someone on duty at all times who is capable of carrying out this procedure. This is not the first time that this has happened, on various wards throughout the hospital we have had to wait for this procedure due to staff not being qualified. Ward 14 does not appear to have this problem as the staff there all seem to be capable.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 11 February 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding your daughter and the treatment received from The James Cook University Hospital. I apologise that due to technical issues, there has been a delay in responding to you. I should be grateful if you would contact me at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Mixed feelings

I attended the out patient and have nothing but praise for the consultant. I was treated sympathetically and professionally. However I had to have some blood tests and that's when everything went rapidly downhill. The nurse called my name (I presume she is a sister as her uniform was dark blue) but she wasn't wearing a badge to identify her. That was the only time she looked at me. In a brusque manner she pointed to a seat & told me to sit down. At that point a pillow came hurtling towards me & I was told to rest my arm on it. At this point I would have expected her to introduce herself & explain what she was going to do. She didn't but just starts to take the blood. At this point she asked me my name, address and date of birth without even looking at me & whilst she was taking the blood. I thought you had to identify a patient by checking everything carefully with the patient record. She then roughly put a cotton wool ball and tape over the puncture site. I was then 'dismissed'. She didn't say goodbye or give me any information as to when the results would be available. I am a recently retired nurse having worked for over 41 years in the NHS & I was shocked as to how I was treated by this woman. We would never have got away with treating a patient in this manner. It felt as though I was an inconvenience to her. I am reluctant to formally complain as I know I will be attending the clinic on a regular basis & I don't want this to affect how I'm treated in the future. I only hope I do not have the misfortune to see her again. She needs a swift lesson in compassion and social skills.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 February 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Rheumatology Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to your comments, which were due to technical issues.
I am very sorry you have cause for concern regarding a member of staff and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful therefore, if you would contact me at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.