Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Sat here now!

After plenty of visits after a problematic pregnancy I'm now sat here once again. Instead of been met by compassion I was greeted by the coldest midwife I've came across so far.
Whilst in the middle of a contraction (in tears and worried -baby is prem) they tried to get me to talk then said you done. Even though I've been advised by my consultant to come in every day this midwife along with another last week both make you feel unwelcome and make you want to run out the door. After been told to wait in waiting room they've put me in a side room and left with no explanation or anything. My first child was looked after somewhere else and I've got to say my care there was outstanding compared to here!
20 minutes later still waiting. It's appalling how your made to feel and the lack of care needs addressing.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting us regarding your experience. I am really sorry you have cause to complain and we will of course investigate this.

I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, where a member of staff will be able to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Viv Wright gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Full marks for all but the food!

My instructions were to attend Ward 24 at 7.30am. On arrival we were asked to sit in a small claustrophobic waiting room until my bed was allocated, I told the nurse that I can't sit on the chairs for very long without feeling discomfort. The nurse told me it wouldn't be very long. By 7.50am there were six of us sitting in close proximity in this small room, and by 8.15am I'd had enough and walked to the reception desk, as I approached, a nurse asked my name and then said my room was ready, before I could complain about the wait. The nurse took my husband and me to the room and left us there. On the bed was a strip of paper showing that the room had been ready since the previous afternoon. So, it begs the question "why did I have to wait 45 minutes, in pain and in a claustrophobic room?". Is it because the staff change over at 8am, and the night staff can't show patients to their rooms? If so, then please change the time the patient should arrive to 8am at the earliest. I travelled from Whitby so I'd already had a 45 minute journey by car, and did not appreciate having to wait in such conditions.
The single room was excellent and comfortable, with plenty of fresh air coming through the two open windows on a hot day, however, it was just above the south entrance, and there were times when cigarette smoke drifted up and into my room, presumably from smokers outside the entrance.
I had a long wait until 1pm when I was taken to the operating area, whilst in the waiting bay I was well looked after and my surgeon, did come in and apologise for the delay.
Back in my room after surgery I was once again well cared for by my designated nurse who made me comfortable and brought me a sandwich to eat. I give that sandwich 0/10! It comprised of 2 thick slices of bread, butter or spread had been waved across the surfaces and was non existent in places, the chicken and stuffing filling accounted for less than half the width of the slice of bread and was spread out with gaps in between. The first mouthful confirmed my thoughts, the bread when chewed can only be described as glutinous and needed half a glass of water to allow me to swallow it. There was so little in the way of filling that there was no taste, and I abandoned my attempt to eat it. Fortunately the nurse gave me a banana and with biscuits of my own I survived until breakfast. Oddly enough the toast I had was made from thin bread! I also had orange juice which was warm and unpalatable, and as you will gather, I was not impressed with the standard of food.
The doctor visited and confirmed I could go home, and I was given dressings and instructions but as there was a generator check in operation the discharge letter couldn't be printed and is being posted to me. I have to praise the nursing staff and doctors for their care and despite the food would choose JCUH again, this is my third visit for neurosurgery, each time scored excellent.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding your admission to ward 24 at The James Cook University Hospital. Its is always pleasing to receive positive feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved in your care and treatment.

I have noted your comments regarding the standard of food and if you would like to discuss this issue further, please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500.

With best wishes for your recovery

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Barrie Lee gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gall bladder removal

I wish to thank all the staff involved in my care during my day surgery procedure. The reception,nurses,anethetists,surgeon and their Registrar and recovery team were all very professional and caring. I felt comfortable and secure in there care.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the care you received during your day surgery procedure at The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to contact us and I shall ensure your kind words are forwarded to the staff involved.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Kevin Hind gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My view of the staff

I was admitted for a plueral biopsy on 9/7/15. Because I was quite lucid compared to the patients who were in for heart surgery I was able to see first hand what the nurses have to cope with.
The nurse who looked after me prior to my procedure and went with me to theatre and put me at ease.
In the high dependency unit afterwards, during the night I was looked after by nurses who were great. There was one other patient in the room with me who had had heart surgery. He was in his mid seventies and wasn't coping too well. They spent the whole night looking after him and never once complained. They were still able to attend to me when I required it, without any fuss. God bless them.
The following morning I was looked after by another treasure! They helped greatly and its thanks to them that I was able to go home that day.
Everyone from start to finish was friendly and caring and I can't thank them enough.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taming the time to contact us.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor service levels

Have been sat in trauma outpatients waiting for two hours due to lack of consultants all appointments running late, like a zoo, clearly this hospital is failing like the rest of the NHS . My wife was not referred to fracture clinic due to oversight! Fracture not cured as a result!
Not impressed will not use NHS ever again.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for contacting us. I am really sorry you and your wife have cause for concern following your wait in the Trauma Outpatients Department.
We will of course investigate this and I should be grateful if you would contact the IG & Patient Safety Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Miss Barbara Bellamy
IG & Patient Safety Officer

Ward 36!!

My husband recently spent 3 nights in James Cook. The staff are the most rude and ignorant staff I have ever come across. They neglected my husband on 2 occasions - tell him he was nil by mouth on the morning then forgetting to tell him he actually wasn't so after starving all day I was spending £10 in m&s getting him a sandwich crisps and a drink! The sister of the wars would begin telling him what was happening then leave saying they would return in a few moments to actually never bothering to return. After being in his room for 3 hours a nurse actually asked who he was, why he was there, who brought him there and how long he had been there. On several occasions he asked for drinks and he is still yet to get them. The room he was staying in was filthy! I asked on a ew occasions if he could be transferred to a Newcastle hospital which a nurse said they had requested yet the doctor was looking on their notes and said they didn't even realise he was from Newcastle. I strongly believe that if the staff at James Cook hospital had a nursing job at any Newcastle hospital they wouldn't have a job for very long. Anyway as agreed he was transferred to Newcastle RVI where he was met with a smile, knowledge of his accident, a plan and an offer of food and drinks. Instead of being worried when I left him i felt I was leaving him in good hands at RVI

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 09 July 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 July 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback regarding your husband's admission to The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause to complain and we will of course investigate this.
The Trust welcomes your feedback and takes all complaints very seriously as we are continuously striving to improve the standards of care we provide.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

H Jane MacNamara reviewed Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital

Gynaecology, day patient for removal of endometrial polyp

I received outstanding care in the Women and Children's Centre at the James Cook Univ Hospital and would like to thank all the staff involved in my treatment as a day patient. The Consultant Gynaecologist was excellent in their listening skills, attention to detail and lovely manner throughout. I have seen many consultants over the years (I am 67 years old) but it was so refreshing to see one of this calibre, someone who was willing and able to take a holistic approach to my medical condition. The information I received prior to my operation made me feel more relaxed and confident too.
The pre admission telephone interview was done in a thoroughly professional and caring manner and the team of nurses in the SAU couldn't have been nicer. Thank you all very much.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 17 June 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding your admission to the Centre for Women & Children at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellence

I have recently come under the care of the Professor and their team. I wish to thank the Professor and their Registrar for their excellent care. Although I am a qualified staff nurse they have never presumed my knowledge about my diagnosis and treatment options. They have managed my care completely and I feel safe in their hands. The outpatient reception staff are always friendly. I was also pleased to be asked to use the hand gel when entering the department.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you are currently receiving from the Endocrinology Department at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the Professor and his staff, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Miss Helen Newman
Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints.

breatheasy gave Ear, Nose & Throat at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ent

brilliant service from start to end .sinus surgery on female admission s .very organised from start to end -all staff kind and easy to relate to .medical secretary -slick -so i got in as soon as place free .many thanks to all wonderful nursing and medical staff ,short staffed but running to make it look easy for us .meals -fine -plenty to eat -water always available .nice clean hospital .hope the world treats you all as you treat us -with kindness and care .

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your kind words about the care and treatment you received during your stay at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

I do hope you are recovering well.

Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Directed to A and E by duty GP

I have nothing but admiration for the treatment I received when I had almost unbearable pain from a damaged, osteoarthritic knee joint. My daughter attempted to contact the duty GP for about 2 hours during which time I was in agony even after taking pain killers. It would have made more sense if I had come directly to James Cook and saved those two hours. I and my wife and daughter thank the staff involved including the Therapy department as I was contacted two days' later to see if I was coping . I was treated like a human being and not an 87 year old statistic

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 05 July 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you have received from The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.