The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

endoscopy: need to communicate better with your patients

My mum came to the endoscopy department following a letter she recieved. The letter didn't specify what procedure my mum was getting just that she had an appointment. We assumed that she was getting another endoscopy as she has had one in the past and was presenting with the same complaint so we ensured she hadn't eaten or drank only sips for 6 hours. Upon arriving she was called up to get her weight taken there was no indication what this was for and was sent back to her seat. Only when i went up to the reception desk to enquire what exactly it was that she was getting did they reveal she was mearly here for a consultation. Clearly as my mum had been anticipating a invasive procedure she extremely unhappy and absolutly starving! . It would be in the patients interest in the future to not presume that they are fully informed and let them know what is going on each step of the way.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your comments regarding your mum's visit to the Endoscopy Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern regardig the information your mum received about her appointment and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01642 854807 at your earliest convenience to provide us with further information and one of our officers will be able to discuss your concerns further with you.

Mrs Linda Oliver
Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Suspected Heart Attack

Transferred from UHND(Dryburn) on Mon.6th Oct. to ward 30, from arrival to discharge I received 1st Class Care/Treatment from all staff, due to a setback I was moved to Ward 31 on the Friday for observation and was discharged on Mon. 13th. Thanks to Nurses, doctors and support staff.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 October 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received from staff during your stay on wards 30 and 31 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

With best wishes for your recovery
Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Grenville gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Decompression Op 31st October 2014

From the moment I visited James Cook I felt a quiet air of efficiency. The registrar answered all my questions and the consultant went through the details of my operation.

The nursing staff on Ward 24 were fantastic throughout. I hesitate to single any one of them out because they were all so good they were on top of their game.
Thank you for making a necessary and uncomfortable time somewhat enjoyable.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

Good morning Grenville

Thank you for your feedback regarding your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes.

Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit and Coronary Care Unit

My family and I cannot praise the CICU and CCU enough for the care they provided for my father recently. All the staff were absolutely fantastic and involved us totally in dad's care. We must single out the sister on the CICU for her total dedication to her job. She went above and beyond what we expected and, although our outcome was not as we would have hoped, we will be eternally grateful for the help, care and support she, the nursing, healthcare and clinical staff provided both during dad's illness and beyond. Thank you.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Lorraine gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional and Respectful

I attended A&E after falling on North York Moors. Excellent ambulance care. Busy evening. In some cases there were too many people accompanying patient which made waiting area unnecessarily full. Although I was there for 5/6 hours I received thorough checks and treatment and was approached courteously and professionally throughout my visit.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 October 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn you are happy with the care and treatment you received and I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved.

With best wishes

Patient Relations Manager

Lesley gave Maternity service at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st class delivery!

Our son was born at James Cook in September 2014, like all parents we will never forgot the birth of our new baby, but what we will also never forget is the level of care we received.
We were admitted through the low dependency pathway but were transferred to high dependancy shortly afterwards. The staff worked exceptionally hard to stabilise us and deliver our baby safely into the world.
The room/ward was clean, the staff supportive and caring, details explained fully - the whole experience was amazing.
Although my delivery was not what I had planned for, a situation that could of been frightening was made magical by the expert team.
Our midwives are already the stuff of legend within our family!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 20 October 2014

Good morning Lesley

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received from the maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn your baby was delivered safely and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

With best wishes to you and your family

Anonymous reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Surgical admissions unit

Had the most wonderful experience on the female sau. After been admitted on the ward by very competent nurses I was promptly seen by my anaesthetic nurse. She was abserloutly wonderful!! She was very understanding of my needle phobia and explained everything what would happen. She took me to theatre and knew exactly what to say and do to put me at ease. She was very knowledgable and a credit to the hospital. When I woke up in recovery I was looked after by a young male nurse. Again another very knowledgable nurse who ensured I was pain free and no longer felt sick. Thank you again!! The profession is lucky to have you. Please pass on my gratitude to these staff they really went beyond the call of duty to ensure I had the best experience in what was a distressing time. I would recommend this department to my friends and family 100 times over.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 31 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 November 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received, during your stay on the Surgical Admissions Unit at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn that staff were able to reassure you at what must have been a worrying time. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital

Unhappy with treatment if a member if staff

I came into hospital with an ananphylexis shock was very poorly and the paramedics were fantastic. I was taken to hospital for treatment on the (19/09/2014)approx 10.15pm. On arrival, the night staff who looked after me were brilliant and I could not fault them, however a member of staff on the day shift was very curt, rude and uncaring, and often referred to me as a number. My daughter came to visit and was so angry at the way the member of staff spoke to me, even when the member of staff took my blood pressure they never spoke to me or made eye contact, and virtually ripped my arm off when removing the blood pressure equipment. Not only was I treated like that but an old lady who was so ill was treat by her disgustingly too, and the patient in the next bed is also sending you a complaint. The member of staff made my stay in that word a nightmare. The rest of the staff were faultless. Especially a lovel caring nurse on the night shit. I'm home now but the treatment of that person has not helped my recovery at all. I also suffer from depression and the member of staff didn't help the situation.

Janice cass.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 September 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 16 October 2014

Good afternoon Janice.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn the care and treatment you received from the paramedics and night staff was good. I am concerned, however to learn of your experience with a member of staff during the day shift and we will of course investigate this for you. The Trust takes all complaints and concerns seriously.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01642 854807 at your earliest convenience, where a member of our staff will be able to discuss your concerns in further detail.

Many thanks again for your comments.

Patient Experience Co-ordinator

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital

Is this a non-smoking site or not?

I have had to visit James Cook as an outpatient several times in the last 4 months and I have no complaints about any aspect of my treatment following surgery at the Friarage. I have found both clinical and admin staff to be excellent, but the one thing that strikes me every time I attend the hospital is that even though there are signs as you enter saying 'this is a non-smoking site' and 'no smoking' signs outside the entrances, they are completely ignored and no-one appears to enforce it. As I was leaving the hospital yesterday and approached the south entrance, I could smell the smoke before I reached the revolving door. There is just no point to having these signs if no-one is prepared to tackle the problem and ask people not to smoke.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 16 October 2014

Good afternoon.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the concerns you have expressed about smoking on site at The James Cook University Hospital. I apologise for the delay in responding to you and am genuinely sorry to hear of your experiences. I can fully understand your feelings in relation to this matter.

Like yourself and many of our staff, patients and relatives, we are very unhappy with the current position and the impact this has on health and wellbeing. I would like to assure you that the Trust wishes to support the rights of non-smokers not to be exposed to second-hand smoke and is doing everything possible to prevent smoking in the hospital grounds. Whilst the Trust does operate a smoke-free policy, regrettably staff are unable to legally stop people from smoking on the hospital site. Whilst legislation bans smoking in public buildings, the Trust does not have the legal power to ban patients or visitors from smoking on the grounds of the hospital.
We do acknowledge however that despite the investment in signs, leaflets, posters, talking smoke detectors at entrances and smoke cessation advisors, we still have huge challenges to eradicate the situation. Led by the Director of Nursing, we have recently reformed a trust wide 'smoke free' group to explore what other options are available to us including:
Writing a work plan which will include signage review
The potential for more regular walk rounds at entrances to ask people to stop smoking and offer support in terms of smoking cessation.
learning from organistations who have had the most success.
We are also looking to designate 'family friendly' areas to promote healthy clean environments which will eventually emcompass all entrances to the hospital.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us, as this input is vital to improve our services.

Lead Nurse / Patient Relations Manager

Nicki gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynelogical theatre team

I was seen in outpatients and operated on within 3 weeks. The whole team were fantastic from start to finish. I was visited on the day by all the team who individually explained what they were all going to do. I can not thank them enough for making my stay a pleasant one. Outstanding

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 04 August 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received from the Gynaecology Department within The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn your stay was a pleasant one and that staff were able to explain clearly the care and treatment you would be receiving. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

Many thanks again for your comments
With best wishes for your recovery