The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

NICKY gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital feedback

After 15 days in hospital my daughter { adult } has been on 6 wards including 13 hours in a cubicle. Tonight at 22-00 hours they tried to move her yet again. Waited 2 days for a blood transfusion -no doctor available - Went for treatment and missed a meal staff could't find a porter so she didn't get anything! On one ward there was only one nurse who could replace the canular and she was on a meal break so the drip was stopped. Felt dizzy and faint in the wash room and pressed her help button, no one came. After 20 mins she managed to get back to her room. Ward 14 is excellent but the rest are an absolute shambles no doctor -- no porter -- no wheelchair -- no pain relief -- no food -- the list is endless! had to take her a blanket in because she is cold.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 16 December 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 December 2014

Good morning.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your daughter's experience during her admission to The James Cook University Hospital. I am sorry you have cause for concern and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would telephone me on 01642 854500 at your earliest convenience, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Yours sincerley

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

RiffsNige gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Taken to James Cook as having heart attack - exemplary care.

From being taken ill with chest pain, then being rushed to Darlington Memorial, I was immediately transferred to James Cook hospital where I was met - about 1.30am Monday morning (November 24) - by surgery staff and taken straight into surgery. After another gulp of morphine I was operated on and was up on the ward in a nice warm bed by 3.45am. After constant monitoring I was discharged just two days later on Wednesday 26th. I really do find it difficult to say how exceptional my treatment was, without sounding over the top or in receipt of funds! Everyone - and I really do mean everyone - was so professional, competent, yet approachable with just the right amount of friendliness. If I was Royalty I really do not see how I could have been treated any differently. A very traumatic experience that was improved many-fold by the excellent and obviously devoted staff at James Cook. I remember a doctor there saying to me 'Well, you don't smoke, you don't drink, and you eat healthily and exercise - you really are unlucky.' After my experience at that wonderful hospital, on the contrary, I consider myself very lucky!!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 27 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 November 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital on 24 November 2014. I am pleased to learn the treatment you received was exceptional and I shall certainly forward your kind comments to the staff involved, who will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery

Mick S. gave The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Travelling,

No problem with the Hospital or Doctors,Nurses Staff, It,s the travelling getting there, when you live along way from the hospital it,s a nightmare, the parking is horrendous, It,s totally stupid having all that traffic Useing the same entrance. Mick S,

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 06 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 09 December 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you ahve cause for concern regarding the problems you are experiencing with travel and parking at The James Cook University Hospital.
I should be grateful if you would contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01642 854807, where you will be able to discuss you concerns further with a member of the team and they can provide you with some feedback.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

endoscopy: need to communicate better with your patients

My mum came to the endoscopy department following a letter she recieved. The letter didn't specify what procedure my mum was getting just that she had an appointment. We assumed that she was getting another endoscopy as she has had one in the past and was presenting with the same complaint so we ensured she hadn't eaten or drank only sips for 6 hours. Upon arriving she was called up to get her weight taken there was no indication what this was for and was sent back to her seat. Only when i went up to the reception desk to enquire what exactly it was that she was getting did they reveal she was mearly here for a consultation. Clearly as my mum had been anticipating a invasive procedure she extremely unhappy and absolutly starving! . It would be in the patients interest in the future to not presume that they are fully informed and let them know what is going on each step of the way.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 November 2014

Good morning
Thank you for your comments regarding your mum's visit to the Endoscopy Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you have cause for concern regardig the information your mum received about her appointment and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01642 854807 at your earliest convenience to provide us with further information and one of our officers will be able to discuss your concerns further with you.

Mrs Linda Oliver
Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Suspected Heart Attack

Transferred from UHND(Dryburn) on Mon.6th Oct. to ward 30, from arrival to discharge I received 1st Class Care/Treatment from all staff, due to a setback I was moved to Ward 31 on the Friday for observation and was discharged on Mon. 13th. Thanks to Nurses, doctors and support staff.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 16 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 October 2014

Good afternoon
Thank you for your feedback regarding the care and treatment you received from staff during your stay on wards 30 and 31 at The James Cook University Hospital. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

It may interest you to know the trust runs a ‘Thank You Award’ scheme where NHS colleagues, patients and relatives can nominate staff in recognition of their work. These are presented throughout the year for acts above the call of duty or where staff have shown exceptional kindness towards patients and their relatives. Please contact the chairman’s office on 01642 854151 or email deborah.jenkins@stees.nhs.uk, should you wish to pursue this.

With best wishes for your recovery
Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Grenville gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Decompression Op 31st October 2014

From the moment I visited James Cook I felt a quiet air of efficiency. The registrar answered all my questions and the consultant went through the details of my operation.

The nursing staff on Ward 24 were fantastic throughout. I hesitate to single any one of them out because they were all so good they were on top of their game.
Thank you for making a necessary and uncomfortable time somewhat enjoyable.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

Good morning Grenville

Thank you for your feedback regarding your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes.

Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit and Coronary Care Unit

My family and I cannot praise the CICU and CCU enough for the care they provided for my father recently. All the staff were absolutely fantastic and involved us totally in dad's care. We must single out the sister on the CICU for her total dedication to her job. She went above and beyond what we expected and, although our outcome was not as we would have hoped, we will be eternally grateful for the help, care and support she, the nursing, healthcare and clinical staff provided both during dad's illness and beyond. Thank you.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 November 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 28 November 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment your father received during his admission to The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and I shall certainly forward you kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

We also welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognise the important contribution nursing and midwifery make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk Alternatively, you may wish to nominate online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards/.

Yours sincerley

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Lorraine gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional and Respectful

I attended A&E after falling on North York Moors. Excellent ambulance care. Busy evening. In some cases there were too many people accompanying patient which made waiting area unnecessarily full. Although I was there for 5/6 hours I received thorough checks and treatment and was approached courteously and professionally throughout my visit.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 October 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn you are happy with the care and treatment you received and I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved.

With best wishes

Patient Relations Manager

Lesley gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st class delivery!

Our son was born at James Cook in September 2014, like all parents we will never forgot the birth of our new baby, but what we will also never forget is the level of care we received.
We were admitted through the low dependency pathway but were transferred to high dependancy shortly afterwards. The staff worked exceptionally hard to stabilise us and deliver our baby safely into the world.
The room/ward was clean, the staff supportive and caring, details explained fully - the whole experience was amazing.
Although my delivery was not what I had planned for, a situation that could of been frightening was made magical by the expert team.
Our midwives are already the stuff of legend within our family!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 20 October 2014

Good morning Lesley

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received from the maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn your baby was delivered safely and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

With best wishes to you and your family

Anonymous reviewed The James Cook University Hospital

Surgical admissions unit

Had the most wonderful experience on the female sau. After been admitted on the ward by very competent nurses I was promptly seen by my anaesthetic nurse. She was abserloutly wonderful!! She was very understanding of my needle phobia and explained everything what would happen. She took me to theatre and knew exactly what to say and do to put me at ease. She was very knowledgable and a credit to the hospital. When I woke up in recovery I was looked after by a young male nurse. Again another very knowledgable nurse who ensured I was pain free and no longer felt sick. Thank you again!! The profession is lucky to have you. Please pass on my gratitude to these staff they really went beyond the call of duty to ensure I had the best experience in what was a distressing time. I would recommend this department to my friends and family 100 times over.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 31 October 2014

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 November 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding the care and treatment you received, during your stay on the Surgical Admissions Unit at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn that staff were able to reassure you at what must have been a worrying time. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

With best wishes