The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Diane Patton gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ankle Fusion Procedure

I was admitted to the hospital on 18th May for the above operation. From the first moment I went into admissions I was treated with respect and professionalism. I was very very nervous and all the staff I spoke to were there to reassure me. After the op I was transferred to ward 36 and again tbe staff were very kind andconsiderate. All the staff on ward 36 were exemplary and all went the extra mile to make my stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. I would like to thank all the staff for their kindness and professionalism. I would like to commend especially all the staff on ward 36 they were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, when I was no weight bearing on my right foot. Thank you to everybody who looked after me fo my 2 days stay, it was very much appreciated, by me and my family. Diane Patton

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Debbie Fenly gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Transfer for CT scan

I unfortunately suffered a head injury and sustained severe concussion. Due to this I was unable to communicate, I was confused, in severe pain and felt dizzy and nauseous. Despite this the staff at James Cook were cold and unsympathetic, in particular, the nursing staff. My husband requested pain relief for me but this was ignored, the only person who noted I was photosensitive was the porter who turned the light off, and when my speech did return and I was allowed home, this nurse in charge told me to sit in the waiting room for my transport. This was despite the fact that I was barely able to sit up. I was told that little old ladies were waiting on trollies, however, this was not the case and the department was not busy. I wondered if the lack of empathy shown by nursing staff perhaps came from the senior nurse whose main interest was turfing people out rather than their welfare. This attitude was markedly different to my experience at Darlington A&E earlier that day, who were kind and compassionate, this was exactly what I needed when I was afraid and in pain.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 21 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, regarding your experience when you attended the Accident & Emergency Department.
I am sorry you have cause for concern about the care and treatment you received and we will of course investigate this.
I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and provide us with further information.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Johnrich gave Cardiology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service by attentive and friendly staff

Staff made me very welcome and I put me at ease the doctor explained everything in great detail. The staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble.
The procedure was completed in a professional and dignified manner .
And the after procedure also first class. And the fact the doctor came round the ward after just two hours and explained that the operation was a success and what after care I should do on my return home.
From the start of my problem eight weeks ago, when assess in Hartlepool hospital then to North tees and finally the procedure in the James Cook .the service of the NHS was excellent at all of the hospitals

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 May 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff for the care and treatment you have received from The James Cook University Hospital.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

With best wishes for your recovery

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

ruth collings gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

a&e visit

After a nasty fall I went to a&e to check for broken bones. I was pleasantly surprised to be checked, x-rayed and fitted with a leg brace all within 1 hour 30 minutes. Friendly staff and very efficient receptionist made it a comforting experience. Thanks to all.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 05 May 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments, regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am pleased to learn that staff were friendly and efficient in your care and treatment and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

I do hope you are recovering well.

Miss Barbara Bellamy
Patient Relations Secretary

Anonymous gave General Medicine at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Nurse and doctor/consultant laughing at me

I was in ward 1 then got transfered to ward2. I told a nurse something personal, they told this certain doctor and started laughing at me. I got really upset.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 09 May 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 13 May 2015

Good morning. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The James Cook University Hospital.
I am sorry you are unhappy about the treatment you received and we would like to look into this for you.
I would be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500, and our staff will be able to discuss your concerns further and provide you with some feedback.

Miss Helen Newman
Acting Deputy Patient Relations Manager

Joyce gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Spinal fusion & Decompreesio March 2015

A big thank you to all in Ward 24 (Neurosurgery). The nursing staff worked tirelessly through to the end of their shift even though they were extremely busy the day I was in.
They made me feel cared for, nursed and at the same time in control.

There appeared to be an excellent team spirit which benefited the people in their care.

My surgeon did a great job with explaining my surgery and the results have so far been very positive and encouraging.

This has been my second stay in James Cook and I would always consider it my treatment centre of choice.
Joyce

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your kind words, regarding the care and treatment you received during your stay on Ward 24 at The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse/ Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff

I couldn't thank the staff enough ,when I had to return from my holiday in America 2days after arriving for an emergency operation I knew I was in good hands . I found them to be very efficient caring,friendly and very informative.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 30 March 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 01 April 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback, in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your stay at The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide comments. I shall certainly forward you kind words tot he staff involved, who I am sure will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

jasmin yildiz gave Neurology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

great stay

been in and out of ward 25 and then had a 5 day stay to have a shunt fitted i cannot fault anything with that ward the doctors and nurses were amazing even the cleaners made you feel relaxed what ever i want i got and what ever i need they gone and got me it i have never ever had a pleasnt stay in a hospital until now would like to go to this hospital for all treatment thank you ward 25 james cook

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 01 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback, in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your stay on Ward 25 at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn that staff made your stay as comfortable as possible and I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who will be very pleased to read them.

Lead Nurse / Head of Patient Relations

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Maternity Services

My daughter recently had her first baby at James Cook Hospital.

I would like to thank the superb Midwives that cared for my daughter in the Central Delivery Suite. The Midwives involved provided excellent care delivery and were truly professional in all aspects. The Central Delivery Suite Midwives offered excellent support and were extremely patient centred.

The aftercare on Ward 17 sadly, was not of the same high standard as had been given in the Central Delivery Suite. Having had an emergency Caesarian Section I feel my daughter was not provided with the level of care that she should have had following surgical intervention.

My daughter was pretty much left to fend for herself and her new born whilst she was still numb from the epidural she'd had for surgery. The baby was left in a crib next to my daughter's bed and despite being unable to function properly, there was an assumption my daughter was able to attend to her baby. In addition there was little support to help with bottle feeding and more emphasis was given to those breast feeding.

From my own perspective, there needs to be more support for new parents at a ward level i.e. to advise them about how to bathe baby, feed baby and also with giving advice on what to expect following Caesarian Section.

In addition, the hospital car parking situation is such that new parents can have quite a trek from the Maternity Unit to the main car park. Not such a long time ago it was common practice that one of the nurses would walk out of the ward area with new parents and support them.

As a result of the difficulties my daughter experienced, she would only stay in hospital for a short period of time due to the lack of support on the ward.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 14 April 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment your daughter received during her admission to The James Cook University Hospital for the birth of her baby. I am pleased to learn the care given to your daughter in the Central Delivery Suite was excellent and I have forwarded your kind words to the staff involved. I am sorry however, to learn the aftercare received on Ward 17 was not not of the same standard and we will of course investigate this. I should be grateful therefore if you would contact the Patient Relations Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss these issues further and the options available to take them forward.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are valuable to us.

Lead Nurse/Patient Relations Manager

Anonymous gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

perssonel trauma

arrived early morning to ward 15 clinic, from a walk in health centre on the morning of the 28th of march. met and exceptionally treated by initially sister. (wow what a diamond) from here on I was prodded and poked by surgical assessment team and transferred to ward 7. professional yes , attentative yes first class treatment yes but above all the perssonel caracters of the staff shine through despite busy days and night shifts. diagnoises ruptured appendix , removed and recovering very well .thankyou james cook ward15 clinic ward 7 and special regards to late night surgical team and i now know how challengeing my problem was to you .

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 12 April 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 14 April 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you express thanks for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

We welcome nominations for the Trust’s annual ‘Nightingale Awards’ which, once a year, recognise the important contribution nursing and midwifery make to patients and their families at The James Cook University Hospital or the Friarage Hospital on a day-to-day basis. Forms are available from the director of Nursing’s office on 01642 854344 or by emailing val.fothergill@stees.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you may wish to nominate online at www.southtees.nhs.uk/about/awards/

Many thanks again for your kind words