The James Cook University Hospital

Telephone: 01642 850850
Address: Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS4 3BW
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding treatment from the most professional and caring

Three members of staff all looked after me - service excellent customer care . Very professional, cannot thank them all enough, I was extremely nervous as I have fear of needles and hospitals. The staff I dealt with from entering the building to leaving I wish to personally thank. I was very impressed how one member of staff read out my details they checked and checked again. If you require the best level of nhs care you will be relieved to know this is the best place. Please do not be scared.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 01 August 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 03 August 2015

Good afternoon
Thank you for your comments regarding the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who, I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

IG & Patient Safety Officer

Stuart Carling reviewed Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital

Organ Donation and Berievment Team

Our son recently took his own life and was on ITU. The quality of care and effort of the staff was absolutely outstanding. We cannot praise the nurses and consultants enough they were caring and exceptionally professional in there duties.
When we knew he was brain stem dead we gave permission for organ donation. We were promised a hand print each and a lock of hair. We could also see him in the Chapel of Rest.
We didn't get anything. I have torn my donor card up and would never give permission for a member of my family to donate.
My son had to have an autopsy after which the Funeral Parlour picked up his body. The body was in such bad condition that they could not embalm him.
I will never ever forgive you.
Absolute garbage service from second rate staff.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 12 August 2015

Good morning
Thank you for your feedback regarding your late son. I regret you have cause for concern at such a difficult time and offer my sincere condolences to you and your family.
I understand your concerns are currently being addressed by the Trust and would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye Outpatients Superb

On Tuesday 11th of August I visited the Eye Outpatients Clinic; it was my first visit to James Cook Hospital and it was an extremely positive experience.
The outpatient clinic was extremely busy, but the receptionist was cool, calm, polite, efficient and highly professional. I was triaged within ¼ hour of my arrival by the AMD coordinator, again they were extremely approachable, efficient and highly professional. I had drops put in my eyes which take ½ hour to work so was told to feel free to leave the clinic and have a cup of coffee, which was so much better than just sitting in the busy clinic. I was informed that the clinic was running a little late but as I had got an appointment within a week of seeing my GP felt this was understandable. When I returned after my half hour I was told there were two patients before me so may possibly be an additional be wait of 20 minutes. It was so helpful to be kept so well informed. The Doctor I saw was extremely helpful and once again highly professional, the doctor had answered all my questions in the course of my consultation.
My whole visit was completed within an hour of my appointment time and could not have been more professional.
I also felt the parking charges were within reason and was pleased to see if I had to return for regular treatment I could by a monthly or three monthly ticket.
Please pass on my compliments to all the staff involved during my visit. The NHS is often criticized, however I felt that the service provided and the professional ethos of the Eye Outpatients Clinic is worthy of high praise and commendation, along with my personal thanks

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 15 August 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 18 August 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments, in which you express your gratitude for the care and treatment you received, during your visit to The James Cook University Hospital on 11 August 2015.
It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff concerned, who I know will be equally pleased to read your kind comments.

Complaints & Incidents Specialist, IG & Patient Safety

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Could do better

My husband recently had a heart valve replacement op. The op was successful. With a bit of tweaking, the care could have been better.
He was given a pessary and told that the nurse would be back in 20 mins - he had to wait for an escort to the WC. It was 30 mins before the nurse came back, my husband was quite unhappy as he was desperate to use the toilet before that time and messed himself - very upsetting.
He was offered an exercise bike to try - liked it and saw that there was a programme one could do, so asked to be offered the programme. The answer was no, you only get one go - no further goes! How ridiculous, to have a bike there not being used.
The day he was to be discharged, a blood test was done, for his Warfarin levels, but a nurse had to come back and repeat the blood test as 'there wasn't enough blood taken'.
This test requires a certain volume of blood for the test - Why was this not done first time?
He was told and it was entered in his notes that he would be discharged the following day - on the morning in question, his consultant said he was fit to come home, but it was 6.30pm before he could leave as his prescription wasn't ready! Why not?

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 02 September 2015

The James Cook University Hospital has not yet replied.

Emma gave Accident and emergency services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic A&E Staff at James Cook Hospital

I have recently attended the James Cook A&E department seeking treatment for severe abdominal pain. The A&E department was extremely busy but all the members of the team were attentive, very polite, efficient and professional. I was seen quickly and examined by a senior nurse, a staff nurse and then an A&E doctor who was attentive, thorough and together the team soon had my pain under control.

The A&E Doctor listened and responded to my concerns whilst explaining my symptoms, diagnosis and next steps clearly. In order to investigate further the abdominal pain I was experiencing a referral was raised by the A&E doctor for a specialty review, within 30 minutes of the request a specialty doctor was with me in the A&E department. The specialty doctor again was brilliant, they examined me further and I was supported and reassured by another A&E staff nurse. Although the investigation was embarrassing the staff really did do all they could to help maintain my dignity and keep me as comfortable as possible.

I cannot thank the A&E department enough for helping me with my pain which I can only describe as being unbearable. The treatment I received was excellent and the team within the emergency department is truly a credit to the James Cook Hospital.

Please pass on my compliments to all the staff involved during my attendance.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 18 August 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 20 August 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at The James Cook University Hospital. I am pleased to learn you were treat in a timely manner, despite the department being so busy. I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I know will be equally pleased to read them.

Cinplaints & Incidents Specialist, IG & Patient Safety

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Sat here now!

After plenty of visits after a problematic pregnancy I'm now sat here once again. Instead of been met by compassion I was greeted by the coldest midwife I've came across so far.
Whilst in the middle of a contraction (in tears and worried -baby is prem) they tried to get me to talk then said you done. Even though I've been advised by my consultant to come in every day this midwife along with another last week both make you feel unwelcome and make you want to run out the door. After been told to wait in waiting room they've put me in a side room and left with no explanation or anything. My first child was looked after somewhere else and I've got to say my care there was outstanding compared to here!
20 minutes later still waiting. It's appalling how your made to feel and the lack of care needs addressing.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 09 July 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting us regarding your experience. I am really sorry you have cause to complain and we will of course investigate this.

I should be grateful if you would contact the Patient Relations Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, where a member of staff will be able to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Viv Wright gave Neurosurgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Full marks for all but the food!

My instructions were to attend Ward 24 at 7.30am. On arrival we were asked to sit in a small claustrophobic waiting room until my bed was allocated, I told the nurse that I can't sit on the chairs for very long without feeling discomfort. The nurse told me it wouldn't be very long. By 7.50am there were six of us sitting in close proximity in this small room, and by 8.15am I'd had enough and walked to the reception desk, as I approached, a nurse asked my name and then said my room was ready, before I could complain about the wait. The nurse took my husband and me to the room and left us there. On the bed was a strip of paper showing that the room had been ready since the previous afternoon. So, it begs the question "why did I have to wait 45 minutes, in pain and in a claustrophobic room?". Is it because the staff change over at 8am, and the night staff can't show patients to their rooms? If so, then please change the time the patient should arrive to 8am at the earliest. I travelled from Whitby so I'd already had a 45 minute journey by car, and did not appreciate having to wait in such conditions.
The single room was excellent and comfortable, with plenty of fresh air coming through the two open windows on a hot day, however, it was just above the south entrance, and there were times when cigarette smoke drifted up and into my room, presumably from smokers outside the entrance.
I had a long wait until 1pm when I was taken to the operating area, whilst in the waiting bay I was well looked after and my surgeon, did come in and apologise for the delay.
Back in my room after surgery I was once again well cared for by my designated nurse who made me comfortable and brought me a sandwich to eat. I give that sandwich 0/10! It comprised of 2 thick slices of bread, butter or spread had been waved across the surfaces and was non existent in places, the chicken and stuffing filling accounted for less than half the width of the slice of bread and was spread out with gaps in between. The first mouthful confirmed my thoughts, the bread when chewed can only be described as glutinous and needed half a glass of water to allow me to swallow it. There was so little in the way of filling that there was no taste, and I abandoned my attempt to eat it. Fortunately the nurse gave me a banana and with biscuits of my own I survived until breakfast. Oddly enough the toast I had was made from thin bread! I also had orange juice which was warm and unpalatable, and as you will gather, I was not impressed with the standard of food.
The doctor visited and confirmed I could go home, and I was given dressings and instructions but as there was a generator check in operation the discharge letter couldn't be printed and is being posted to me. I have to praise the nursing staff and doctors for their care and despite the food would choose JCUH again, this is my third visit for neurosurgery, each time scored excellent.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

The James Cook University Hospital replied on 09 July 2015

Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback, regarding your admission to ward 24 at The James Cook University Hospital. Its is always pleasing to receive positive feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I shall certainly forward your comments to the staff involved in your care and treatment.

I have noted your comments regarding the standard of food and if you would like to discuss this issue further, please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Relations Department on 01642 854500.

With best wishes for your recovery

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Barrie Lee gave General Surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gall bladder removal

I wish to thank all the staff involved in my care during my day surgery procedure. The reception,nurses,anethetists,surgeon and their Registrar and recovery team were all very professional and caring. I felt comfortable and secure in there care.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your comments regarding the care you received during your day surgery procedure at The James Cook University Hospital. I appreciate you taking the time to contact us and I shall ensure your kind words are forwarded to the staff involved.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Kevin Hind gave Cardiothoracic surgery at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My view of the staff

I was admitted for a plueral biopsy on 9/7/15. Because I was quite lucid compared to the patients who were in for heart surgery I was able to see first hand what the nurses have to cope with.
The nurse who looked after me prior to my procedure and went with me to theatre and put me at ease.
In the high dependency unit afterwards, during the night I was looked after by nurses who were great. There was one other patient in the room with me who had had heart surgery. He was in his mid seventies and wasn't coping too well. They spent the whole night looking after him and never once complained. They were still able to attend to me when I required it, without any fuss. God bless them.
The following morning I was looked after by another treasure! They helped greatly and its thanks to them that I was able to go home that day.
Everyone from start to finish was friendly and caring and I can't thank them enough.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for your feedback in which you praise staff for the care and treatment you received during your admission to The James Cook University Hospital. It is always pleasing to receive words of thanks and I very much appreciate you taming the time to contact us.
I shall certainly forward your kind words to the staff involved, who I am sure will be equally pleased to read them.

IG & Patient Safety Specialist, Incidents & Complaints

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at The James Cook University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor service levels

Have been sat in trauma outpatients waiting for two hours due to lack of consultants all appointments running late, like a zoo, clearly this hospital is failing like the rest of the NHS . My wife was not referred to fracture clinic due to oversight! Fracture not cured as a result!
Not impressed will not use NHS ever again.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015

Good morning

Thank you for contacting us. I am really sorry you and your wife have cause for concern following your wait in the Trauma Outpatients Department.
We will of course investigate this and I should be grateful if you would contact the IG & Patient Safety Department at your earliest convenience on 01642 854500, to discuss your concerns further and the options available to take them forward.

Miss Barbara Bellamy