St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre

Based on 79 ratings for this clinic

Based on 79 ratings for this clinic

Anonymous gave St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 2 stars

Long waiting times

Exceptionally long waiting times despite having seen at least 3 nurses wandering around aimlessly drinking a can of coke. No one was called in for over half hour whilst this was happening. Hate coming to the walk in but sometimes it's necessary but also doesnt mean they can get away with slacking off and making customers in pain wait 3 hrs to be seen by a nurse.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

VickiP gave St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 1 stars

Rash

On saturday we visited the treatment centre as my dauggter had a eash on her face and behind her ears, we were told the wait would be within an hour, it was nearer 90 minutes but I can live with that. When my daughter was seen for her rash we were told it was a virus and to give liquid piriton despite it not being itchy.
I took her to the GP on the following Monday as the 5ash was spreading where the nurse practitioner immediately diagnosed scarlet fever. She was given a 10 day course of anti biotics.

I would really struggle to recommend the centre after this.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Anonymous reviewed St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre

Pre-Op visit Aug 17

Ok so had to attend for the above on a Wed afternoon, I live in Portsmouth and was familiar with the car-parking arrangements at the site.
Accordingly I decided to leave work earlier, go home, drop my car off , collect my motorcycle and ride to the Hospital even though I was not entirely sure that motorcycle parking was actually free (as it normally is elsewhere.
When I got to the car park I wobbled across to the very restricted availability motorcycle bays (shared by cyclists !!??) and found a place available.
So far so good. I had a look around on the pay-to-park machines for any confirmation on parking fees for bikes, none was evident. So unsure as to what the situation was I asked at the relevant reception desk in the dept I was attending, the answer was not reassuring.
Almost immediately it was announced that appointments were delayed by an hour (which became 1.75 hrs actually, but hey-ho.
Accordingly I decided to determine what the parking situation was for my bike now it seemed that the problem would be a whole lot worse if I failed to pay.
It took a few laps of the car park eventually ending up at the money machine before I found a desultory notice confirming that motorcycles were indeed free.
For the benefit of motorcyclists and in the interests of encouraging this form of transport can:
1. More Motorcycle parking bays be provided (I saw 3 maybe 4)
2. Make it absolutely clear on the parking tariff signage that motorcycles are parked free (if in motorcycle specific bays of course) leaving riders in no doubt when they enter the park.
Apart from that and the 1.75 hours delays, the visit was free of stress.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Christopher Garrod reviewed St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre

St Marys parking and traffic signs

Visited St Marys minor injury unit on 4 August. When I arrived by car I parked as close to the Minor Injuries unit as possible in the lined off bays. I did not see any signs asking me to pay for parking. Unlike QA were you have to go through a barrier, and when leaving there are many signs telling how to pay. So eventually I received a Parking Charge Notice. I feel that I have been conned here as I am quite happy to pay a parking charge, but as said previously there were no clear signs asking for a payment.

Driving to the Minor Injuries unit I picked up very clear Red signs about 2 miles away. In the final distance probably about half a mile I could not see any Red signs, though there were Blue signs to St Marys campus. However I ignored these as I hoped to find a Red sign, but no luck there. So I had to waste a further 5 minutes turning around and deciding to follow the Blue signs. Can we have Red signs all the way to the Minor Injuries unit, please?

And yes the medical treatment was 5 star.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Chris Burgess gave St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Top Quality Treatment

I attended St Mary's Treatment Centre Day Surgery Unit today for a general surgery procedure. From the moment I arrived at reception through to the nurses, operating theatre staff, anaesthetist and, of course, the surgeon everyone was totally professional, caring, kind and efficient. I confess to being a little nervous on arrival but this was soon dispelled.

Thank you to an excellent team for making my short stay such a good experience.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Treatment of a sprain

Waiting time of just under two hours. Very kind and knowledgeable nurse checked me over. X-ray almost immediately and sent away with all I needed. Thank you for your help. Only issue is the wait really. People seem so used to instant treatment they don't assess whether they really need treatment that day, putting strain on the service, especially on a Saturday. But the wonderful NHS staff cope. Hope they all get their much deserved pay rises soon x

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 17 June 2017

Ophthalmology - assessment of eyes - esp. lens and retina

Plenty of reasonably-priced parking available.
Arrived early for appointment. Helpful staff.
Was taken for pre-testing earlier than appointment time by pleasant, helpful and informative staff.
Very short wait for consultant who made thorough examination, conducted a further test and gave me immediate informative assessment.
We agreed no treatment advisable at this time but a further assesment should be made in 6 months.
I had confidence in the treatment and assessment process and informative discussion with consultant.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 22 June 2017

Roger Hiscock gave St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Opthalmology Cataract Surgery

I had a cataract operation recently. The whole thing was a model of friendly efficiency and the outcome quite astonishing. Thank you very much indeed.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 27 June 2017

Well looked after

We brought our daughter in on bank holiday Monday after a fall of an inflatable slide the day before. It turns out she had a broken elbow. All the staff who dealt with my daughter were polite and caring and helped to calm her nerves about having a cast on. Brilliant service, the doctors and nurses working here do a fantastic job. Thank you very much!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre replied on 02 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent experience with us.
At St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre we aim to provide efficient high quality patient focused care and recognise the importance of ensuring a seamless and smooth process from start to finish so it was lovely to hear that we have succeeded in that aim. We hope your daughter is recovering well and I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team.

Alison Lawrence
Clinical Quality Improvement Manager

Anonymous reviewed St Mary's NHS Treatment Centre

Sigmoidoscopy

I was booked in for a sigmoidoscopy. I waited 35 mins after my due time and asked if I would have to wait much longer and was treated with contempt by reception because I even asked. They said you always wait 30 minutes at least because they want to make sure people turn up on time for their appointments (despite this now being 35 mins past in any case). I ended up being taken closer to 45 minutes after my appointment time and an hour after I arrived which I think was completely out of order. The waiting room was full, really hot and stuffy. Bear in mind I had only had clear liquids and a broth-like soup that day so my patience was being tested! I couldn't have been the only one.

Whilst sitting there I noted that patients were being asked to santise their hands with gel at the door into the treatment area. However, none of the staff did so despite being in and out the door frequently. This included staff on reception, cleaning staff and nurses. This shows a lack of basic infection control practices.

Once in I was treated very nicely by all the staff despite my elevated pulse through my annoyance at being taken so late and having to wait an hour in the waiting room.

I was asked in total 5-6 times if I was allergic to anything which was mildly irritating.

The procedure itself was absolutely fine, probably slightly longer than advertised by the staff member on the day at 7 minutes. I was treated well and it was reasonably prompt at that stage. I was more than happy that they checked all my data well and were all working together to get the procedure done. There was even a staff member holding my arm throughout the procedure.

I got information on what the issues were when I came out and what the doctor would be told, all good.

Came out to find the car parking meter was broken with no direction to where the others were. Eventually found another one on the far side of the car park. I was in for a 15 minute procedure that took about 1.5 hours (not counting me being early by 15 minutes).

Could not fault the treatment staff or the treatment procedure. The waiting times need to be looked and perhaps some basic customer service training of the reception staff so they don't treat you with utter contempt would be nice.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017