South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust

0300 123 0808 The Lodge, The Chase , Wickford, Essex, SS11 7XX

David gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Physio

Really good service, just a shame the waiting list to see the Physio was so long. The Rectory Road Health Centre, IG10 should be commended and the Physio had an excellent and professional manner... Shame I am not allowed to mention his name !

One thing to mention though, there was no receptionist available on the day of my visit giving the medical staff extra duties.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Luton mental health services

The Crisis team is extrodinary, there staff are dedicated, professional, kind and undestanding.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 17 May 2016

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2016

Thank you very much for leaving feedback. This service is now run by the East London Foundation Trust, I will pass your comments to them to respond.

Dismayed gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Prep, & escorting infirm to from hospital appointments

"The elderly should remain in their homes as long as they are able", says the national mantra. "It is cheaper that way" says the economist..........However,..........
I have searched the offered services on your website, ......(and applied for):
A nurse to motivate, prepare, and escort an elderly infirm person from home to an outpatient appointment at the PAH Eye Clinic. The appointments, which are spaced at very approximately 8week intervals, are for essential eye injections to mitigate ARMD.
Without such assistance, the person is not able to prepare herself and then get to the hospital, with the result that her sight will inevitably deteriorate faster than it need do.
Worsened eyesight results in further disconnect from surroundings, which in turn results in a further reduction in motivation.
You seem to provide home nursing services, and transport services, but not in the combination which is highlighted above.
What is your response ?

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 16 January 2016

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 January 2016

Thank you for leaving feedback.
The point you put forward on 16 January 2016, is fully understood and appreciated, but community nurses are not commissioned to fulfil this particular role. SEPT nurses do not currently have the capacity to escort patients living at home on visits to hospital outpatient appointments. In cases where patients are staying on one of the SEPT wards however, a nurse would always accompany the patient for an outpatient appointment in the event that the patient’s family are not able to do this.

Age UK have a befriending scheme, befrienders can escort people to medical appointments. Their advice line number is 0800 169 2081.

Anonymous reviewed South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust

Felt the need for the sakes of others

As a mental health patient I felt it is right to write a review for this trust based on my personal exp for the sake of others.

The inpatient/outpatient experience within the trust for myself and for my family has been extremely poor and needs drastic improvements.

As a vulnerable individual suffering from depressive episodes, it is a frightening experience going through a mental health crisis on its own without adding a poorly run NHS trust to the mix. A distinct lack of empathy as well as a terrible level of neglect is prevalent within the system. There are fortunately some good professionals within this trust, but the bad outweigh the good.

Low staff levels lead to lengthy waiting times in acute situations and poorly trained available care when it is given. Mental health treatment is distinctly different in its medical approach as well as its holistic approach, but inpatient care resembles more of a prison setting than an assessment unit. The outpatient care doesn't fare much better, littered with rude individuals who should not have taken up this role as an occupation. The lack of insight some of the employees show to people's illnesses is of concern as well as a lack of knowledge of individual's health records, with some actually mixing patients up.

The lack of professionals in my experience was clear with one of the 'care team' on an NHS ward I stayed in overnight watching tv for most of the night. No one was treated with respect and patients were dismissively spoken to as if they were a sub species. On my never again voluntarily admission one night I sat for the course of two hours waiting for someone to acknowledge my arrival in the communal lounge. Whilst sitting quite scared, I was subjected to inpatients who were clearly very unwell and were completely unattended and unsupervised. This made me feel extremely uncomfortable and led me to try and find someone in the empty hallway. All I found was a staff member enjoying a random tv programme in his booth and blatantly ignoring me. Luckily for me, a cleaner showed me to my room! The room was the most stark cell like environment and that night is something I would never want to repeat in my entire life. From neglectful and uncaring staff to poor facilities, it is a complete disservice to the public under this trust.

The whole mental health system both acute and community based needs to be drastically improved. The employees both in the inpatient and outpatient setting need to be trained and monitored to a better standard as well as being able to speak the english language coherently. A massive overview of how this trust operates and its standard of care should be the highlight of your annual review!

There have been some lovely people during my time under this trust who did go above and beyond their job spec and for that I am truly thankful. However, the bad outweighs the good so much so, I could not leave this unwritten for the sakes of vulnerable individuals under this system

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 22 November 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 November 2015

The Trust is sorry that you had cause to raise these concerns; this is not the experience we wish for any of our patients to have.

The trust recognises the importance of staffing levels and ensures that all areas are staffed appropriately so that patients receive the requisite care. We are sorry you felt you were neglected.

The Assessment Unit is a busy ward with unwell patients, however all patients on the ward are informal and are able to leave should they wish to do so subject to being risk assessed. We are sorry you felt that it was prison- like, however we have to ensure that the environment is appropriate for unwell patients and free from risk whilst making it as comfortable as possible.

We thank you for acknowledging the lovely staff you engaged with. We will use your comments to improve our practice and remind our staff to be more aware of how their actions may be interpreted.

If you would like to provide your details we will be able to look into your specific concerns. You can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) freephone:0800 085 7935 or complaints 01268 407817. You can also email us at pals@sept.nhs.uk or complaints.department@sept.nhs.uk or write to Complaints Department, The Lodge, Runwell Chase, Wickford, Essex SS11 7XX.

Diabetic Screening Service

Had my annual check.
Pulses taken and nails cut.
Neurological tests omitted.
Assessed as low risk and future appointments down from three a year to two or fewer.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 04 March 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 March 2015

Thank you for your comments. As the Trust has Community Services in different areas it would be helpful if you could let us know where you receive your treatment so that we can pass your comments to the Head of Service. If you wish to receive a response to your comments you can either contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) 0800 085 7935 or pals@sept.nhs.uk or the Complaints Department on 01268 407817, complaints.department@sept.nhs.uk.

flo hann gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

physio

i saw physio at st margs epping on 18th feb 2015.she was excellent,proffesional,kind,knowledgable and helped me a great deal.
it was a long wait of 16weeks to see her but worth it.thankyou

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 26 February 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 March 2015

Thank you very much for the positive feedback about one of our Physiotherapists. Your message will be passed to the Department concerned as well as the manager of the Service. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

S.B gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Knightswick Clinic, Canvey Island - Minor Oral Surgery Dept.

Thank you for staff and Oral team looking after me today (13th January 2015). Sitting in the waiting room I could here happy staff, which is reassuring when your anxiety levels are high.
Great team work inside the surgery. I was dreading the treatment but it was dealt with quickly and I was informed of every step. I was reassured and given lots of verbal and written advise at the end.
Thank you again.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 13 January 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about the Community Dental Service. Your comments have been passed to the Director of the service who will share with the team. It is nice to know that your experience was a positive one. Compliments about our staff and services are shared across the Trust and reported in our annual report.

Dissatisfied gave South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Overall service

Ive been using mental health care for approx ten years. A feeble diagnoses of recurrent depressive disorder. Have repeatedly asked for further investigation. My psychiatric appointments cancelled. Little understanding. Constant chats about medication. Social worker has cancelled three appoints, now four. At a pressurised time that i need care. Thinking of changing area. Uncertain this will make any difference.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 22 January 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 February 2015

I am sorry that you have been experiencing problems. If you would like to contact us we will be able to fully investigate your concerns and respond to you. You can call the Complaints Department 01268 407817, or email complaints.department@sept.nhs.uk. If you would prefer to talk to the Patient Experience Team (PALS), they can be contacted on 0800 085 7935, email:pals@sept.nhs.uk

I can assure you that if you contact us we will undertake a full investigation.

A Bi_polar patient from essex

My experience is of poorly motivated staff, dangerous and inaccurate record keeping.
The trust hates complaints and fail to address them properly, I do not trust them to protect or care for me.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 25 November 2014

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 December 2014

I am sorry to hear that the writer’s experience of the Trust is not to the high standard we aim to provide.

South Essex Partnership University Foundation Trust (SEPT) welcomes any complaints about the services we provide. The Trust takes all complaints seriously and view them as valuable feedback. We comply with the Department of Health NHS Complaints regulations: all complaints are acknowledged within 3 working days of receipt and a full and honest response is provided at the end of a robust investigation.

If the correspondent would like to provide their contact details and the nature of the concerns they have to the Complaints Team, complaints.department@sept.nhs.uk we will be happy to arrange for an investigation to be carried out and provide a full response.

first response team

the staff are generally very kind and understanding,however they don't actually coordinate any care as they are supposed to.I am sure they have a book of stock answers for all there failings,they don't like being told when they have done things wrong.quite often implying it is the patients fault!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 31 March 2015

South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 April 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. If you would like us to look into your concerns further please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Team (PALS) 0800 085 7935 pals@sept.nhs.uk. If you would like to make a formal complaint you can contact the Complaints Department 01268 407817, or complaints.department@sept.nhs.uk and we will undertake a thorough investigation into your concerns.