Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust

Telephone: 01622 724100
Address: Farm Villa, Hermitage Lane, Maidstone, Kent, ME16 9PH
Website: http://www.kmpt.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave at Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust a rating of 1 stars

Mental health team

Today I had a review with the mental health team. I sat down in a room with two ladies - one of them seemed absolutely lovely. However, the other one made me feel extremely uncomfortable. They knew I was nervous as my referal told them yet they didn't smile once or make me feel at ease. I told them both how I was feeling and they behaved as if they didn't believe me by the wording of their questions. I felt extremely judged. i left feeling really unhappy and sad and like I'm in the wrong for feeling this way.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 13 August 2015

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust replied on 26 August 2015

Thanks you for your comments on our service, I am sorry that your experience has not been an altogether positive one. KMPT is keen to learn from the experiences of our service users and carers, both positive and negative. If you would like a more individual response I would encourage you to contact our Patient Experience Team to discuss your concerns. They will be able to share this with the appropriate ward/service and see how we can improve in the areas you have identified. Please contact them on 0800 783 9972 or email patientexperience@kmpt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust a rating of 1 stars

By far the worst mental health team in England!

I can not even begin to express how awful their mental health team are! Poor poor communication and I have never seen nothing like it in my life! And I would appreciate it if there was no officials to reply to this message telling me to contact so and so to look into this problem as the phone is never answered!

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 04 February 2015

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust replied on 23 March 2015

Hi, i am sorry that your experiecne of our services is not what you would have wished, and that you have had trouble contacting our staff on the phone. Could i ask that you contact the Patient Expereince team using email on patientexperience@kmpt.nhs.uk, and we would be pleased to understand your concerns and what we as a Trust could do to improve your experience.

made me worse than better

a year ago I was diagnosed with depression, referred here, put on fluoxetine, discharged.

Seven months later, after no communication from anyone, I tried to take my own life. I was then diagnosed with bipolar. An awful time for me and my family, at least I would be getting the correct care now. Seven months down the line, I have been three times to Kingswood, meeting a different person each time, each person says stick with the fluoxetine, the "antidepressant I was on when I tried to kill myself.

Now I feel the same if not worse than what I did seven months ago. I'm petrified of what I might do, so I ring priority house, get referred to Kingswood (a day later), who in turn refer me back to priority house, who send me back to Kingswood, who have now booked me in for another pointless appointment, where nothing gets done, I meet a new carer. One week after I first rang up.

Speaking of ringing up, I was told I would get special cate because of my condition and the state I was in. I rang when they opened, I was told they would ring back. No response. So I rang again two hours later, I was assured they would ring me back soon. Please bare in mind I'm an absolute state at this point, I'm frightened and I didn't know where to turn. After ringing them a third time, five hours after they opened, I was told they would definitely ring back soon, I said no, I'm worried I'm gunna kill myself, we have an appointment tomorrow if you want it? Poor.

They have not helped me whatsoever, in fact they have made it worse, all I want is some consistency, to see the same carer, regularly, not every three months, and a real care plan that doesn't end up with me trying to end it all again.

If you can, please avoid this place, they won't help.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 31 January 2015

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust replied on 06 February 2015

I am very sorry that you had the support from our service that you would expect and feel that you were passed between our services. Whilst it would not be appropriate to discuss personal cases on a public website we would be pleased to discuss with you how we might have provided a better response, and can support you in the future. Could you please contact me, Buba Cooper, Service Manager on 01622 766900 and I would be pleased to speak with you. Alternatively if you wish to give feedback independent from the Maidstone service then please contact our Patient Experience team on 0800 587 6757 or email patientexperience@kmpt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust a rating of 2 stars

Dementia support suffered in cutbacks

Admiral Nurses, despite promises, are now only available if your family member is receiving Consultant led care.

The only other support available is through the crisis team and then you'll only receive support for 6 weeks.

Families are left to muddle through in the Medway Towns.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 January 2015

Thank you for raising this matter with us and I am sorry to hear that things have been difficult for which is an inference I draw from your comment. Whilst we would like to operate a more robust admiral nursing service we currently only have one admiral nurse covering the whole of Medway, but are recruiting to a second position. Currently this has meant that the contracting for this service imposed obligations on us only to support people actively under the care of KMPT services. While we acknowledge the challenges that this will bring to some people caring for a loved one with dementia we are not in control of the finances we work within.

Please contact Nick Dent, Patient experience Manager, on 01227 812370 or Nicholas.dent@kmpt.nhs.uk, if you wish to discuss further including how commissioning issues can be fed back or Tunji Adeyemi, Medway OA Service Manager on 01634 382080 to discuss Medway provision.

Dementia support suffered in cutbacks

Admiral nursing support for carers was withdrawn from those whose relatives are not managed by the Consultant led service.

Only point of contact for support is now the crisis service and they withdraw after 6 weeks.

My family was promised full support for those caring but now have none.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 January 2015

Thank you for raising this matter with us. Whilst we would be very happy to provide a more robust admiral nursing service we are only commissioned to provide the service that we operate, although am aware that we currently have a vacancy we are seeking to fill. While we acknowledge the challenges that carers have in supporting loved one with dementia we are not in control of the finances we work within.

Please contact Nick Dent, Patient experience Manager, on 01227 812370 or Nicholas.dent@kmpt.nhs.uk, if you wish to discuss further including how commissioning issues can be fed back which include the mental Health Actions groups that each area in Kent have.

Stell reviewed Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust

If you have bipolar, or suspect it dont go here! Terrible.

I have Bipolar II, which was diagnosed in London Harley Medical District by a consultant psychiatrist, an honoury senior lecture at imperial college London. I cannot afford private treatment but I managed to scrape together to afford the assessment.

I came to Sittingbourne Memorial for treatment on NHS (the 6 months it took to see the consultant anyway) I was told I had another condition. Despite for the 5+ years here being told first I didn't have a condition other than standard depression/anxiety. Also the fact I'd spent 6 months coming to terms with the lifelong condition of bipolar II.

The consultant demontrated lack of knowledge in the bipolar spectrum. Particularly between I and II and also then attempted to diagnose me with cyclothymia........as and I quote "You dont have/havn't had major or clinical depression." Then attempted to diagnose me with emotionally unstable personality impulsive type (rare in men) Cyclothymia is a lesser version of bipolar spectrum, that either develops into full bipolar in many, or improves with age. This diagnosis was reached due to not taking proper evidence and not looking at the facts.

My medical record is full of this. I was also told "If you had bipolar you would have been in hospital", clearly showing a lake of awareness in the difference between bipolar I and II. People with bipolar II rarely needed sectioning.

I was also told to triple my mood stabiliser, despite me lating reading that cyclothymia isn't well treated by mood stablisers, and lamotrigine, what I was prescribed in London was the best for BPII. Of course I wont be listening to that advice.

I also predicted this kind of outcome prior to attending to my GP. I also predicted to my mother who has Bipolar II, that they would rediagnose or say she didn't have it. The consultant said she didn't have it and to "get it out of her head". Wow I wish us bipolar suffers could get it out of out head.

My advice if you are dealing with this or similiar things in mental health, dont go here. Some of the team are quite helpful, but the consultant psychiatrist seems clueless, and seemed more interested in discrediting the previous private diagnosis. I was also asked why I went private, so was my mother when she went and my mother was told that the psychiatrist in London was no good and diagnoses people with Bipolar for money and had said 4 others have it that dont. This seems very unprofessional. The consultant in London is very qualified and I could tell from the difference in treatment. You will probably also leave angry, confused and in a worse state than when you entered, not a good thing for anyone suffering with mental health.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 11 July 2014

Aways passing the buck

This is a terrible service, at my most vulnerable times in my life I've been let down time and time again. My care coodinater never listens to my views and is very two faced. You never have enough contact with you consultant/doctor, they never review medication problems or change you medication. I've have feel complety humiliated by my treatment at this service.
My GP recently tried to refer me back to the service as they felt it appropriate, the team declined the referral.
My crisis plan a joke no one know who I'm meant to ask for help in emergencies.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 23 April 2015

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust replied on 05 May 2015

Thanks you for providing this feedback although I am very sorry that you have felt unsupported by our service. In the current climate of limited resources and raised demands it has become necessary to be much more focused in the provision of our services and it can be that individuals requiring support are not felt appropriate for the support that secondary mental health services offer, or have already accessed services and found these not to be effective. If you continue to feel that you have needs that our services should support then please contact our Patient Experience Team to highlight this. The PET can be contacted on 01622 723207 for West Kent and Medway, or 01227 812020 for East Kent. You could alternatively email us at patientexperience@kmpt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous reviewed Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust

Referral to mental health services

I have been unable to get a referral to the doctor who I used to see at The Pagoda. I have been told GP's are supposed to deal with patients' issues themselves.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 07 June 2014

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust has not yet replied.

Andy Hart gave Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appalling Experiance

This is the first time I have visited the new Pembury Hospital in connection with a mental health problem.

I have long term depression which is very bad at present, the condition not helped by the the presures of looking after my elderly mother and my caring role made even harder due to Social Services budget cuts.

The 111 service not helping at least in the days of NHS direct you could usually speak to a trained mental health nurse or one would call you back thus adverting a crisis !

So I had to make decision to come into Pembury by ambulance on the basis that I would eventually get so see the Mental Health crisis team even though it could be a long wait, but thought this better than getting much worse at home.

The Ambulance people were wonderful arrived at Pembury and put in a small side room where I was left for 2 hours no communication of what was going on at all.

Eventually a young doctor did come and see me but was told because I came from Sussex , Pembury Hospital being just 2 miles from Kent / Sussex boarder the crisis would not come out.

It was now 4 a.m. In the morning, so just wished I had never stepped into the Ambulance.

I had know way of getting home, a Taxi costing around £40 at that hour !

So had to wait for the first bus at 6.15 a.m. to get into Tunbridge Wells , then wait for the first bus back to home in Sussex.

A truly horrendous Experience which I will never forget, having long term mental health problems is hard enough even more so with the cuts in services but this was beyond belief.

Shame on you Kent Mental Health Services and Pembury Hospital .

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 28 March 2014

Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust replied on 01 April 2014

I am really sorry to hear you have had cause to raise a concern about our CRHT service. It would not be appropriate to enter into correspondence about an individual care matter on a public website but if you wished to contact our West Kent CRHT manager she would be pleased to respond to the specifics of your response. This would be Steph Taylor who can be contacted on Stephanie.Taylor@kmpt.nhs.uk. You could alternatively contact the PALS service on 0800 587 6757.

In general we would expect our service to come and see someone presenting at a Kent A&E department with a mental health problem regardless of where they are from, and have good links with other local trusts in ensuring support for such individuals. I regret that this was not your experience and hope that you can contact Steph so that we can understand why.

Anonymous did not recommend Community mental health services at Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust

Very Let Down By The Service

Any other comments

We have Delt with The NHS mental health trust for the last 8years. i would Not recommend this service at all... They have NOT helped our family in anyway, my Brother has mental health problems and nearly harmed himself big time. No Support was provided for the family members who found him and His parents have never received any help on how to deal with him or help him in anyway. as he is now 22 they dont even get to be told anything so if he chooses not to tell them they do NOT know what is going on. This is NOT fair on any of us that are around him 24/7. We want to help but CANT.
Not once has anyone been there for his Mum/StepDad/ Dad/Siblings/ Auntie/ Cousins who are around him all the time. let along given him a correct diagnosis and the correct Tablets. i do feel that this service has let him and his family down BIG TIME. I hope that this service gets sorted out because its letting the people and their familys down!!!!
a concerned Sister