Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

01603 421421 Hellesdon Hospital, Drayton High Road , Norwich, Norfolk, NR6 5BE

Tony Peck gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Rubbish Web Site for Carers

So our son is going through an emotional crisis. He needs help & support. Having been through a similar experience 7 years ago, we as parents and carers, also need support to help us cope.
Is there anything on the website about carers? No, when you type in Carers Support into the search, nothing comes up except a load of blank pages & information from 2014.
So, I though I would leave some feedback using the 'contact us' page - oh no that doesn't work either , only way to leave feedback is here or via PALS!
It would seem that the Trust don't care about carers (who actually do most of what the trust is paid to do most of the time!)

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 03 July 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 July 2017

We do have more recent carer information on our Trust and Wellbeing internet pages and there should be no blank pages. It is possible that internet connectivity issues at the time may have prevented all revevant information being displayed. But having said that, we are aware that our internet site is not easy to navigate and in need of modernising. We are currently working on this with a view to launching the new site in Spring 2018.
We are committed to supporting carers and are members of the Triangle of Care scheme that sets standards for carer information, support and involvement. We assess ourselves against these standards on a regular basis and take action to address any identified areas of weakness.
As part of the development of the new website, we are working with carers and service users to develop a specific ‘carer information’ page, ready for the launch next spring, and are preparing to run a carers' survey for feedback about what more we can do.
As you have already identified, Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to help with any queries about carer information and can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.
Alternatively, you are welcome to contact our Involvement Team, via email to Involvement.Team@nsft.nhs.uk, or telephone to 01603 421414, for informaton about carer support and also if you would be interested in being involved in the development of pages for carers on our new website.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

The team at Waveney cmht , have been very supportive over the last two years . Always ring back , I have a new care co who is very good at there job and generally care . The nsft seem to get a lot of bad reviews and I don't doubt others struggles . The best way forward collaboration which I have with my team . They do a difficult demanding job and nsft should be very supportive and proud of the team at vic house
My struggles are not over and recovery seems a long way off but I to have to take responsibility for that recovery.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 28 July 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 August 2017

Thank you much for taking the time to tell us about your positive experience of our Waveney community team at Victoria House. We know our staff do everything they can to make people’s experience of contact with our services as positive as possible, despite this invariably being at very difficult times in their lives. It is therefore very helpful for staff to receive such feedback and your comments have been shared with the service manager and team.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Nothing offered other than more medication

I visited the psychiatrist after a 3 year gap. Despite previously being told on a IDT meeting I was extremely unwell, the only treatment offered was an increase in medication. I am already taking numerous types of medications.

I was not offered any alternative treatment such as therapy. I raised a number of vulnerable adult issues including emotional, physical & financial abuse. The psychiatrist took no notice of the issues raised & sat there in front of me with a grin on their face.

If medication is the only treatment available to patients this should be explained to patients when they are first referred to the service so they are not disappointed. This trust treats patients using the medical model. I trained as a nurse in the 1990s & such an approach was considered old fashioned & degrading then, let alone in a modern NHS.

Such a a shame the service has deteriorated so much since the merger with Norfolk. It appears the panorama program regarding the trust was right in highlighting the service failures.

Very disappointed & very unhappy with the service. The future looks bleak. More years of depression with no support & people around me taking advantage of me because I have depression.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 25 June 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 June 2017

We are sorry that you had this experience of limited options for treatment being considered and a lack of engagement in exploring the other factors in your life that are impacting on your mental health. This is totally contrary to the work we are doing within the Trust to encourage people to attend our Recovery College that helps people develop the tools and skills to overcome or better cope with ongoing mental health problems. You can find out more about the Recovery College at www.nsft.nhs.uk/Get-involved/Pages/Recovery-College.aspx
We are also introducing something called ‘formulation’ into all assessments we undertake. This approach emphasises the importance of a person’s whole life circumstances and better understanding what is happening to them at any given point in their life. This week we are launching Our Recovery Strategy which emphasis the psycho-social aspects of a person (not just the biological that leads to treatment with medication). We will be holding a recovery strategy event in Ipswich on 22nd September. You can find out more about this event and even book a free place by calling 01603 421414.
Please don’t consider the negative experience you describe as typical – it is not, but suggests we have more work to do to ensure all our staff are using the principles of recovery in their clinical practice.

JL reviewed Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

CPN off sick, No other visiting service offered...

Unfortunately my CPN, is on sick leave and will not be returning for at least 2 months. I telephoned today, and was eventually put through to a duty desk worker, who I could hardly understand. I stated I needed some support with a housing situation, but also was struggling with a recent physical condition and emotionally, that I would like a visit from my stand in CPN...I was told a referral to a housing organisation could happen, and that I was in the duty desk person not needing a home visit. Truly disgusted at the off handed approach, lack of understanding and no action taken for care in the community. I understand the Community nurses are under immense pressure, staff cut backs, bed cut backs etc. But this impacts on clients. .there is no care in the community anymore, even if a client reaches out...it is only at crises point that some action may be taken, resulting in a traumatic and unnecessary expensive stay in hospital. Why should the governments finances , and Norfolks mental health organisations affect my care???, and hundreds of those in the area. No wonder the county featured so low on recent care reports. Nothing ever changes. Lack of care and therapy in the hospitals or scant /inadequate support outside. Needless suffering, lack of dignity, and deaths are occurring under this system, in a circular system that does nothing to empower and instill confidence in a clients wellbeing....Just despicable service.....

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 29 June 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 June 2017

You are right that demand on our services has seen an upward trend for several years, but unfortunately our staffing numbers have not seen the same increase in resources. Other team members will have their own busy caseloads and therefore limited capacity to cover for absent colleagues. The duty worker system is one way that we manage this, with team members taking it in terns to cover this important role. As you have experienced, the duty worker provides a primarily telephone service. However, this can result in a home visit if the duty workers assess this as necessary.
When a case holding member of the team will be absent for a protracted period, further steps are taken to cover the caseload and ensure continuation of the care plan and agreed support. This may include employing a temporary worker to cover the caseload or sharing between other members of the team. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to look into this on your behalf, but would need more information about you to identify the team you are with and the right team manager to approach. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Access and assessment are lethal to mental health patients.

I have had severe mental health issues most of my life but I’m not receiving the treatment I need. I have spent the past 3 years in a loop of being referred almost monthly by my GP to the Access and Assessment Team for secondary care and having it point blank refused each time with the latest being last week.
The staff who carry out these telephone assessments at the Norfolk/Suffolk AAT are rude, patronizing, argumentative and their 'solutions' and 'advice' is quite frankly moronic to the point I feel I could obtain better care and advice from a PPI cold caller. If I wasn't already well acquainted with the joke that is the Access and Assessment Team I would deem their services as lethal and I truly feel for anyone who has to deal with a particular person as their assessor.
It seems only after you have recently attempted suicide and were lucky enough to survive will you get anywhere near getting in the door of the mental health services which is out right disgusting.
As for the Wellbeings 'limited' services they'll promise you the help and then never contact you again.

This 'to little to late' approach is failing so many people and i dread to think how many lives this charade has cost.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 May 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your negative view of our services and we are sorry that you do not consider you have received the response your mental health condition requires. We have Primary Care Link Workers attached to the GP practices in Suffolk and in view of your reporting repeated attempts by your GP to refer you to secondary services, we recommend asking your GP to contact the link worker to discuss what options may be available for you. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will also be able to advise. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Crisis team are uselss

Rang the crisis team today because of feeling low and suicidal and just got told to go and see my gp even though I had told them that I had already seen them today and there was nothing else my gp could do for me, this isn't the first time I have rang the service and im always told to take medication or go for a walk they don't care about how you are feeling and don't want to come out to you despite the fact you are crying out for help.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

We are sorry that you are feeling low and consider you did not receive the response from the crises team that you felt was necessary at the time. There may be several reasons for this including the demands on the team meaning no one was available to visit you, or that you may not be currently active to our community services. Being active to our services and having a crises plan that includes support from the crises team is usually required for receiving out of hours home treatment and crises support. If you are active to one of our community team you will have a care coordinator or lead care profession and we recommend you talk to them about a crises plan for when you feel low and suicidal in the future. If you are not currently active to services your GP is the first point of contact and there are other out of hours options including the Samaritans and Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Teams (EDT). It’s not clear from your report whether you are based in Norfolk or Suffolk as the EDT telephone number will be different in each county. If you are not sure about your current status, or for advice about contacting other crises support services, our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to advise. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Yes another rape Survivor with PTSD. Let down

Been let down by coastal IDT as they say I've had all the treatment they offer, but no treatment ever given!

Yes I had a pleasant care coordinator visit every couple of months to have a chat and to say carry on your doing well. Even though I told them things were getting worse.

I just don't understand how they can call themselves mental health team.

Thanks for making feel even worse than I did before referral.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 04 June 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

From the heading of your comment we can see you’ve had a very traumatic experience and we are sorry that you did not feel that contact with the Coastal IDT was helpful. It may be that the IDT was only able to provide a period of support through home visits with your care coordinator. Usually this would be discussed and agreed with you at the start of your episode of care and we are sorry if this didn’t happen. We are also wondering if the option for referral to the Suffolk Wellbeing Service was discussed with you? The Wellbeing Service also accept self-referral and more information can be found at www.wellbeingnands.co.uk.
Alternatively, our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) may be able to provide some help and can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Intimidating and uncaring staff

I have been asking the IDT for help for many months. I call and am told by the receptionist that staff are unavailable and they will call back. It took 2 weeks to receive that call. I had to call the crisis team number one night but was faced with a recorded message stating " no one is available, please try later" the worst thing you need to hear when you're struggling. The whole experience from this trust has been damaging to me. I have been intimidated by staff when I asked direct questions regarding communication, non return of calls or emails and months for an appointment.
I am a very disappointed with the standard of care. Eventually I have decided to walk away to protect my sanity.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your experiences with the IDT, and we are sorry that you feel your contact with our services has not helped. The time taken to get back to you is not acceptable and we are concerned by your reporting feeling intimidated by staff when you raised your concern.
We are keen to learn from what people who have had direct personal experience of our services tell us was good and not so good about their experience and offer the opportunity to talk to us in more detail about their experiences. If the person is happy for us to do so, we can even record them talking about their experience and show this to the staff. This will our teams to better understand what is important to people who have need of our services and will make contact with our services a more positive experience for all. This could also subsequently include an invitation to take part in a joint event with staff to agree together the actions we can take that will make the most positive difference.
If you are interested in talking to us about your experience in more detail, or would just like to know more about what this would involve, you are welcome to contact our Involvement Team on 01603 421414; email: involvement.team@nsft.nhs.uk.

Paul no more gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

British people under mental health are suffering

I am sorry but the Norfolk and Suffolk NHS does not exist any more. No one who works for them who is supposed to help people do not help. There are more people under the mental health population committing suicide in this country because the so called people who suppose to help are not helping people in desperate need. I lived in Cambridge and received a lot of help even tho it was very limited help but it was much better than the Norfolk and Suffolk NHS.. Then i had two strokes witch left me physically disabled so i had to move near to my family in Norfolk for support. That is when i lost all of my support. The medication i am on as stopped working and now i am hardly sleeping and struggling to cope. I have been crying out to the so called local mental health team and they have just ignored my desperate situation. I Carnot even get a support worker what i have asked them for to help me. I'm sorry but the people in this country needs to start standing up and saying enough is enough we are not taking it anymore. Thank you for reading my concerns.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Diabolical

I am someone who suffers from severe panic attacks, which have been occurring on a regular basis for almost two years now. But in November 2016, after months of refusing to seek medical help for the fear of being dismissed, I finally decided to visit my GP, who recommended Wellbeing Suffolk - an organisation dedicated to helping those with mental health issues. My GP supplied me with a leaflet complete with a referral form, which I filled in and sent off in late January.

Two weeks later, I received a letter from the Wellbeing service, who said that they had received the form and wished to contact me over the phone. Now, I have always felt extremely uncomfortable about talking over the phone, although this particular issue was addressed in the leaflet, which stated, "If you do not wish to speak directly to someone over the phone then you are more than welcome to get somebody (a close relative or friend) to speak on your behalf."

Following the solution given on the leaflet, I asked my mother to contact them on by behalf, which she did. However, it took exactly a week to get through to the actual service because there was nobody available to take our call. When my mother finally did get through, she received an offhand and unsympathetic response from the call-handler, who told them that I would have to speak to them despite what was stated in the leaflet.

A nurse phoned the following day, regarding a separate matter, and my mother informed them of the call-handlers response, something the nurse themself described as "unprofessional". The nurse then said that they would intervene and contact the service directly. A few days later, the same nurse rang back and said that Wellbeing would send us a letter and look to set up face-to-face appointment.

It's been over two weeks and we're still waiting for that letter to come.

I feel as though I have been abandoned by the system, but I know for a fact that I am not the first person to say this. The attitude towards mental health issues is absolutely appalling, and it's cases such as this which discourage others from seeking the help they so desperately need.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 25 February 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

I am sorry you have had a negative experience when trying to make contact with our Wellbeing Service, and particularly the reported response your mother received when contacting on your behalf. I am concerned this response appears to be at variance with the advice on the Wellbeing leaflet and suggests that call handlers may need to be reminded about this. Your comments have been passed to the senior manager for the Wellbeing service to take remedial action based on the information you have provided.

I am pleased to hear that the nurse you spoke to called back to advise a letter would follow and do hope that you have now received this. The Wellbeing Service receives 100s of referrals every month, but I can appreciate the negative impact on individuals of insensitive responses when seeking help directly or by proxy, and any long delays with follow up communications. If you have not received the promised letter, contacting the Wellbeing Service again directly may be necessary or alternatively you may wish to raise this as a complaint via our Patient Safety and Complaints Department, providing specific information to enable us to look into the delays you report. A complaint can be made by letter, telephone or email to: Patient Safety and Complaints, Hellesdon Hospital, Drayton High Road, Norwich NR6 5BE. Telephone: 01603 421486. Email: complaints@nsft.nhs.uk