Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

Telephone: 0203 317 3500
Address: St. Pancras Hospital, 4 St. Pancras Way, London, Greater London, NW1 0PE
Website: http://www.candi.nhs.uk

Simon gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

The Netherwood Day Centre: A Saving Grace

I have cared for my mother, Elizabeth for the last 5 years, who is now at an advanced stage of Alzheimers, For the last 3 years, she has attended the Netherwood Day centre.

With increasing care demands and pressures, were it not for the Netherwood Day centre, I could not have coped and as a consequence would have been unable to continue to care for her. Thanks to the Netherwood Day Centre, not only are we able to sustain our lives together, but now enjoy a quality of life, such is the contribution and impact of Netherwood on our lives.

Proper care for people with this condition is demanding and requires commitment, compassion and attention to detail. In this regard, the staff at Netherwood excel themselves.

A testament to the value of the people within the NHS and it as an institution, as a service, focusing unstintingly on care quality for people, and not profits, it has contributed immeasurably to our lives and a health preservation for the both of us.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care provided for a relative with dementia

I am the only next of kin of my cousin who suffers from dementia, and she has been for quite a while under the care of the mental health pekcwater centre in Camden. She has been extremely taken care off and her case was followed very closely and with great Compassion, all the staff involved are great but I would like to praise especially them for a job very well done.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 27 May 2014

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 June 2014

Dear Anonymous
Thank you so much for posting your compliment. It is much appreciated and we will make sure it is passed on to staff at Peckwater and other relevant teams.
Communications Team

AliMac gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Got Mental Health Problems? Let CANDI Expand Them!

I had a severe anxiety & less severe depression (ie not yet suicidal) diagnosis in 2009. My GPs prescribed SSRIs & referred me to the ISATs unit. for therapy. I was then left in limbo for over 3 months before ISATs allowed me to attend CBT-based group sessions as a precursor for 1:1 therapy.

2 months later I was told that I had expended my quota of group sessions, and by-the-way therapy was no longer on offer. Strong protest got me a weekly allocation with their summer student therapist, but she was severely restricted in what she was allowed to cover. After some weeks of "assessment sessions" she reached the point of formulating a forward plan of sorts, but now had to return to her uni course & I would get a handover to an alternative therapist. No handover ensued. Instead I was told I was on a waiting list to go back to square one with group sessions. By then I realised my original assumption that "the experts will sort this out" was utterly naive.

Thanks to a reasonable redundancy package from my last employer, I have been able to pay for private weekly therapy which has drawn me back to some sort of normality. However a recent re-referral to ISATs for advice on how to withdraw from SSRIs threw me back into that spiral of uncertainty, ie unknown waiting lists, no firm plan/commitments, lack of communication, I am currently trying to extract myself from ISATs 'engagement', which I know from my previous experience blocks any other NHS options.

In conclusion: I agree with other reviewers who say that different MH units in the borough seem eager to pass patients on to other units; having to recount your stressful build-up repeatedly to new units/people (a major anxiety trigger) just magnifies it; and no one in the NHS structure seems to take any ownership of an MH patient's overall treatment or progress.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 13 July 2013

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2014

Dear AliMac

We are very sorry that we have not responded sooner. Due to a technical issue this website was not being monitored by us, but it is now. From this point on we will consider, respond to, and act upon comments in a far more timely manner.

We are sorry to read that you have not been happy with your experience of our ISATs service.

Your comments about our ISATs waiting times, and communication with people who have been referred to the service, have been taken very seriously. We are striving to improve these aspects of our work and we have passed your comments to the relevant teams and service directors.

Since you posted your comment we have begun to review our practices to further reduce waiting times and improve communication. We are now reviewing all current referrals to the ISATs service and offering alternative treatment providers, if this reduces waiting time for therapy.

In your case, we clearly did not offer you the help you hoped for. We have not been responsive when you've needed help and it's clearly not acceptable for us to treat you in this way.

If you have time we would like to speak with you as we are committed to improving our services.

Please get in touch with us by telephone on 020 3317 3117 or email us at feedback@candi.nhs.uk.

Our Advice and Complaints Service is available between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. If you wish to meet with a member of our team please phone or email to make an appointment. We also regularly visit wards and other Trust services.

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

impossible to access therapeutic services

I've been trying to get help for over a year now. I've been assessed by IAPT, Camden Advice and Assessment Team, the Crisis Team and the Complex Depression and Anxiety Team. My GP had referred me for therapy, but each service assesses me and then refers me somewhere else. I am now awaiting an appointment for my 7th assessment. If this was a physical health service the newspapers would be all over it - the staff themselves seem nice enough, but the system is broken. I just can't access what I need. I'd prefer it that they were honest and just said there are no effective therapeutic services any more, rather than have to go through the same story with different teams time and time again.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 18 April 2013

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 May 2014

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for complimenting our staff, however we are sorry to read that you have not been happy with your experience of the service as a whole.

You describe having been assessed a number of times, with no satisfactory response. You also express concern about a number of our services and say that you are not getting the services you need.

We aim to offer care and treatment that meet the needs of our service users and in your case, we clearly did not offer you the help you hoped for. We want to put this right so please get in touch with our Advice and Complaints team on 020 3317 3117 or email feedback@candi.nhs.uk. They are waiting for your call.

Marcus reviewed Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

crisis teams camden

i get scared of these people as they turn up and you dont know when or who iscoming and it is different person every day. Sometimes they put the tablets throogh the door and go away again. They wont talk to you at night and tell you to take lavender bath when you have voices.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 06 February 2013

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2014

Dear Marcus

Please accept our sincere apologies for not having responded sooner. For technical reasons your comments have only recently been drawn to our attention.

We are sorry to read that you have not been happy with your experience of our Camden crisis team. Your comments about our service have been taken very seriously and your comments shared with the team.

The crisis team model means that different team members may come to visit you at different times during the day. If this model of working doesn’t make you feel safe then please let your care coordinator or someone you trust know this. We can then make sure alternative crisis arrangements are made.

From your comments it seems that we could be better at communicating with you. We welcome comments from service users to help us to improve our approaches to care.

We are very sorry that we did not offer you the best care. However, we would like to improve what we do, so please give our team a call on 020 3317 3117 or email feedback@candi.nhs.uk and we can discuss these issues or any other suggestions you might have for us. We are awaiting your call.

We are open normal office hours and if you would like to meet a member of the team we can arrange this for you.