Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

Telephone: 0203 317 3500
Address: St. Pancras Hospital, 4 St. Pancras Way, London, Greater London, NW1 0PE
Website: http://www.candi.nhs.uk

AliMac gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Got Mental Health Problems? Let CANDI Expand Them!

I had a severe anxiety & less severe depression (ie not yet suicidal) diagnosis in 2009. My GPs prescribed SSRIs & referred me to the ISATs unit. for therapy. I was then left in limbo for over 3 months before ISATs allowed me to attend CBT-based group sessions as a precursor for 1:1 therapy.

2 months later I was told that I had expended my quota of group sessions, and by-the-way therapy was no longer on offer. Strong protest got me a weekly allocation with their summer student therapist, but she was severely restricted in what she was allowed to cover. After some weeks of "assessment sessions" she reached the point of formulating a forward plan of sorts, but now had to return to her uni course & I would get a handover to an alternative therapist. No handover ensued. Instead I was told I was on a waiting list to go back to square one with group sessions. By then I realised my original assumption that "the experts will sort this out" was utterly naive.

Thanks to a reasonable redundancy package from my last employer, I have been able to pay for private weekly therapy which has drawn me back to some sort of normality. However a recent re-referral to ISATs for advice on how to withdraw from SSRIs threw me back into that spiral of uncertainty, ie unknown waiting lists, no firm plan/commitments, lack of communication, I am currently trying to extract myself from ISATs 'engagement', which I know from my previous experience blocks any other NHS options.

In conclusion: I agree with other reviewers who say that different MH units in the borough seem eager to pass patients on to other units; having to recount your stressful build-up repeatedly to new units/people (a major anxiety trigger) just magnifies it; and no one in the NHS structure seems to take any ownership of an MH patient's overall treatment or progress.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 13 July 2013

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

impossible to access therapeutic services

I've been trying to get help for over a year now. I've been assessed by IAPT, Camden Advice and Assessment Team, the Crisis Team and the Complex Depression and Anxiety Team. My GP had referred me for therapy, but each service assesses me and then refers me somewhere else. I am now awaiting an appointment for my 7th assessment. If this was a physical health service the newspapers would be all over it - the staff themselves seem nice enough, but the system is broken. I just can't access what I need. I'd prefer it that they were honest and just said there are no effective therapeutic services any more, rather than have to go through the same story with different teams time and time again.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 18 April 2013

Marcus reviewed Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

crisis teams camden

i get scared of these people as they turn up and you dont know when or who iscoming and it is different person every day. Sometimes they put the tablets throogh the door and go away again. They wont talk to you at night and tell you to take lavender bath when you have voices.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 06 February 2013