Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

0203 317 3500 St. Pancras Hospital, 4 St. Pancras Way , London, Greater London, NW1 0PE

Beachcombers reviewed Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

Unsafe crisis care

Can't even begin to describe how awful & uncompassionate the 'professionals' are on the crisis line. My sister was really unwell and we had called the GP who made a referral to the crisis team. She is known to the MH trust, has had many hospital admissions and is refused access to crisis houses as she gets psychotic. They were meant to call and didn't. My elderly mother couldn't manage, was frightened for my sister's safety so rang the next night - over 24 hrs later. Some extremely rude member of staff dismissed her in under 2 mins of conversation ( call log shows). They told a 78 yr old carer of someone now manic with hallucinations to take my sister to A&E. Then said we're very busy and put phone down. I rang GP next day who referred again. Still no call back and by now police had also attended as my sister called them believing in highly distressed state she was in danger. Ambulance service came but my sister wouldn't go. They rang crisis team who apparently said again my mum should take her in a taxi if refused to get in ambulance and they were all too busy to send an assessment team out. Ambulance crew argued with them but had to leave. My mum called 111 as out of hours who said nothing could do. I rang now furious GP 5 days after first referral who was told directly in office hours that crisis team still couldn't visit as very short staffed. I rang them 3 more times same day and like another person on this site they put phone down.
It is no good trust saying contact us as they never learn lessons. Just look on here. In the end my sister was sectioned in distress suicidal in street and hospitalised and was so so traumatized. Crisis team haven't said sorry. She's due to be discharged but no crisis plan can be agreed as according to ward same crisis team don't attend ward meetings as requested. Although as the carers we're told we have no right to be informed so can't chase! This trust is unsafe.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 August 2017

My name is Nonie Fennel-Kelly, Acting Crisis Call Centre Manager at Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust.
I am sorry to hear of your experience when accessing support for your sister through The Crisis Call Centre and Crisis Team Services. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly in order to understand better the concerns you have raised in your feedback so that I can investigate further. Please do contact me so that I can do this.

I can be contacted through the Crisis Call Centre on 020 3317 6333, if I am not available please do leave a message with one of my colleagues and I will get back to you.

If you prefer, you can also raise this matter as a complaint to be dealt with through the Trust’s Advice and Complaints Service. To do this, please use the contact email or address below to send them your complaint.

Email: feedback@candi.nhs.uk

London NW1 0YT

I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Nonie Fennell-Kelly
Acting Crisis Call Centre Manager
Highgate Mental Health Centre

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appalling crisis care from crisis team

My experience of the crisis team has been so awful. A few years ago when I was referred to them a member of the crisis team came into my flat, stayed less than five minutes, told me it was my fault I'd been raped, that God still loves you and then they left me sobbing and completely distraught. I wrote feedback at the time to the manager but no one contacted me or had anything to say about the way she treated me. I thought after that I would never use them again.
However to avoid being sectioned I agreed to work with them. They arrive, spend less than five minutes in my flat and go through a tick box check list - appetite, sleep, suicidal ideation, but don't care about what your answers are. I tried to tell them how acutely suicidal I've been feeling, but they said because I haven't attempted suicide this time I am "low risk" even though I've had several previous very serious suicide attempts in the past which were nearly fatal. Instead of supporting me with suicide prevention, it feels invalidating and like they almost want you to attempt suicide to prove that you are actually suicidal, never mind if the consequences are fatal.
There are often only male staff on the crisis line at night and for a woman who has been raped talking to a man isn't going to help. Also they only want to know your personal information to log you called, they don't let you talk about feelings or what is going on for you. Have a bath, go for a walk (even if it is 2am) and take medication are the three stock responses to anything you say. Sometimes just a short conversation and someone listening with some compassion and care would be helpful. Any contact I've had with the crisis line has been literally less than a 5 minute phone call.
I think that all crisis line staff need to do Samaritans or similar training as it feels like there is a huge lack of compassion, listening skills or empathy. Tick box check lists and paperwork aren't helpful. Asking someone if they have plans to kill themselves as they are already walking out the door isn't helpful. Telling someone that because they haven't actually killed themselves yet, means they are doing well isn't helpful.
If someone is asking a crisis team for help it is because they need help. Don't invalidate, or refuse to offer support because someone hasn't yet attempted suicide, especially if their last suicide attempt was nearly fatal and resulted in long-term damage. Surely prevention of suicide should be the aim and helping support someone before it gets that bad.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

ithacaman reviewed Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

Crisis Line

I needed help. I have a community team in Islington. I have depot injection antipsychotics. I get very bad voices I hear things and get very scared and when I ring the duty worker in the day team where my psychiatrist is they say at night ring crisis team. There is a crisis line number. I have a plan where it says what to do or I get very very ill, I said I am not safe and such a rude person says we cant help you and you must wait to see your psychiatrist or care coordinator ( who had left the team and I was waiting for another ).
But I was having bad visions and suicide thoughts or death thoughts or others and I saw threatening people following me. It was very frightening. And then because I got ill and then there was no support at night or on the bank holidays like always never any staff to talk from crisis team and I missed my injection and no care coordinator as waiting list in the team even when you have a psychiatrist. So no one noticed I wasn't haven't meds and I would ring the crisis team many times and they would say we cant help you or talk to you.
And then I said I wanted to go to a crisis house and they said that is only for after admission to hospital with people with schizophrenia like I have and that crisis houses not for 'people like you'. This went on what feels like very long time. In the end police sectioned me and took to whittington which I found a horrible place to be, no nurses at all just security men and then I was sectioned. My team psychiatrist said the crisis team did not contact the day team when I rang them so they didn't know. This happens lots people on wards always say the same and in my experience people always say crisis team so rude and really bad. I think they should be replaced with better trained people as some of them don't seem to care

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Lee-Ann Aldridge, Digital Communications Manager, Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review – we value all comments, suggestions and complaints and look to our service users and carers to help us develop our services with the input we receive from them.
I am sorry you had to deal with a ‘rude man’ via our Crisis Call Centre and that the contact left you feeling unsupported and unsafe. You also state that when encouraged to call the service at night you felt not listened to by our staff on duty and were advised that one of our crisis houses was not suitable for you.
You felt that because of the lack of support overnight and not being listened to, you were eventually admitted to hospital under section and that this involved the Police and you were taken to the Emergency Department at the Whittington Hospital.
Here at the Crisis Resolution Team (CRT), we pride ourselves on being able to offer support to service users 24 hours per day. Sometimes we get very busy and there may be delays in talking to our service users but if you ring the Crisis Call Centre (Crisis Line) then you can leave a message on our voicemail system and we will ring you back as soon as we can.
At night the service is more limited however with less staff on duty than during day time periods. Overnight we can offer support via the telephone to service users in mental health crisis and we also support the Emergency Departments. If the situation arises we can, if need be, attend service users home environments but do need the support of our Camden CRT colleague on duty to be able to facilitate this.
Without more detail we are unable to fully investigate what happened when you called and to be able to speak directly with the staff involved. However, we encourage you to get in contact with the Operational Service Manager directly who would be happy to meet with you to discuss this. Her contact details are: Debbie May, Operational Service Manager – Crisis Resolution Teams and Crisis Call Centre – email: debbie.may@candi.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

I'm not getting access to the mental health services I need

I have ADHD. It's a neurodevelopmental disorder starting in childhood. It is genetic. Characterised by impulsivity, hyperactivity, control of emotions. For me also it affects my mood and I suffer from depression. I have had a recent diagnosis and I have been told there is a 11-24 month waiting list to be seen to start medication. This is ridiculous. My impulsivity affects my sexual health choices. Post exposure prophylaxis is more expensive for the NHS than ADHD treatment. I do not want HIV. I can not be prescribed medication even though I have a diagnosis. The set maximum wait for mental health services is 18 weeks maximum as set by the NHS guideline. I do not understand. In 11-24 months I can catch HIV from impulsive decisions. It's a mental health disorder! I have been diagnosed in October At the Maudsley Hospital. That took 11 months itself. It is now January. I still do not have access to local treatment.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 January 2017

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

Dear Sir/Madam

We are very sorry that you feel that you are not getting access to the mental health services you need. This must be very frustrating for you. The ADHD team see a large number of patients and aim to see everyone as soon as possible following their diagnosis. Please accept our apologies if this hasn’t happened for you.

We have passed on your comment to the ADHD team however we need more information so that we can help you. Please contact us by emailing feedback@candi.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3317 7102 with more detailed information.

Para 1 gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Crisis Care

There is no crisis care this Trust. At weekends and Friday night when they know it's the busiest time you can ring Camden Crisis Team number and it will ring continuously for 20 odd rings, never connect to an answerphone, never get picked up. When challenged about this their response was not 'we are sorry' ( this trust never says sorry) - but 'we must have been busy in A&E - we have other people to see and talk to as well you know'. So complacent about peoples's lives and risks and fears and carers desperate they cant even be bothered to switch on an answerphone at the period of the week when they know people struggle. This has happened several times and they never say sorry. If you are able to leave a message it can take over 24 hrs for them to respond and then they try once and don't bother again. So many people are harmed by this and they really don't seem to care. If you do get taken or go to an A&E you will wait hours and hours to be seen and days if you then need a bed. What the crisis team in Camden do all the time is send the police to do 'welfare checks' knowing that this increases the risk to very ill people. The policeman who comes to my brother says it is so they can tick a box and shut the file down as actioned. It is an awful awful Trust and has been for several years and CQC think so aswell. If you are acutely unwell you'd be better off roaming the streets of London as you will get more support from complete strangers than you ever will from a CANDI crisis team.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 20 November 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 December 2016

We are very sorry to read of your experience. It is very important to us that we deliver services that are responsive and caring.

The Camden and Islington Crisis Teams operate a call centre Monday to Sunday, 365 days per year between 8am and 8:30pm.

During these hours there are up to 6 clinicians, at peak time, responding to calls. At night time, the service is run by a single staff member per borough who responds to in person visits at the various emergency departments within the trust in addition to answering calls, or messages where they are not able to respond immediately. Staff are instructed to reply to all messages as soon as able although this time can vary dependent on the nature of the work.

During the course of the day there are fluctuating volumes of calls so if all operators are engaged, you might be asked to leave a message on the voicemail system rather than continue to wait until staff members are available to respond directly. Again, staff regularly check the voicemail system and respond to voicemails left often within the hour.

The crisis teams are currently unable to respond to emergency call outs for mental health crises, although we are hoping to roll out an urgent response service (within 4 hours) by April 2017 across both Camden and Islington.

Due to this limitation, there might be times when it is more appropriate for us to engage with London Ambulance or Metropolitan police services and request an emergency response if we are concerned that a member of the public is in immediate danger.

Anybody else who is referred to the service in crisis and who is felt to be in need of a crisis response, we endeavour to see within 24 hours.

In relation to the emergency departments, service users can experience delays at peak times in finding a bed if a decision to admit has been agreed – otherwise all referrals to the mental health team, once processed by the local hospitals are seen within the hour. Our bed management team continue to address the issue of admission and discharge on a daily basis and are working towards creating better systems to manage this so that all service users who clinically need an acute bed are offered one as soon as possible.

From your online post it was not possible to identify a specific incident but if you would like us to look into this further so that we can provide you with an individual reply to your concern, please do contact the trust on: feedback@candi.nhs.uk

If you would like to raise a specific concern about the Camden Crisis Teams, please contact team manager, Anoushka Khorramian, directly on:
Telephone: 020 3317 6323
Email: anoushka.khorramian@candi.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Really poor care throughout trust

I don't know why I am writing on here as they don't care at all and only if ccg stops funding will this stop.the reviews here show how bad it is although I know people write when they angry so many people have said hoe bad this trust is so many times and no one listened. And then cqc realised and met with some of us and we told them what happens and we really don't know how they continue to get funded. The CCGs in camden and in Islington must stop funding this trust and stop believing all they are told because it is so unsafe .It made me cry reading some of these stories as I and others also know people who dies because no beds, no team in the community and absolutely no crisis care. and the crisis houses they talk about as if they were so good only tale people before they need hospital not when. maybe the funding nhs bods don't realise that so many people very very ill people are told they are too ill for crisis houses but not too ill for hospital so they get nothing and crisis teams always say they cant give support that is needed. To support someone you have to make sure someone visits then 3 times a day and be prepared to speak with them for an hour in the night and help them get to their appts and get their rent paid and practical things. the trust relies on carers to do everything. I am so tired now caring for my mum and before that my cousin who died under CANDI care ( committed suicide). I only write this as there is nowhere to take any issue as carers we just pray and wait for our loved ones to deteriorate until the point of severe danger or more likely die.
the managers are awful as so many have been there such a long time and this has happened under their watch. they should be sacked.
have said my piece for all the difference it will make. like all the others here say some bod from feedback will make a comment and pretend they don't know what is going on . just all PR ,

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

Dear Sir/ Madam

We are very sorry that you feel that we are not listening and that our services are unsafe. There are a number of concerns you have raised here which we would like to discuss with you in more detail. We need you to provide us with more detailed information so that we can to look into this.

To do this, please contact the Advice and Complaints team on 020 3317 7102 or email them at complaints@candi.nhs.uk

London NW1 0YT

Please be assured that we take all comments posted on this website very seriously and investigate each one to the best we can with the information that is provided. Any feedback that is given to us is used to improve our services where they may need it, so we really do value your comments.

Camden NHS Foundation Trust

Very poor unsafe care

Our Mum has had severe MH for years.We didn't get any support when we were children nor now as young carers.Yet this Trust also refuses to help her and gives out our telephone numbers so that the police and GP can call us any time night or day when she is unwell as MH services refuse to as she is 'complex'. Mum has psychosis and needs very complicated medication.It is meant to be by injection. She has not had any medication again for months and is paranoid, not eating, neglecting herself and very mentally unwell. The GP has contacted the MH Trust so many times. As do the police who were at her home 5 times last week. There is no crisis team outside office hours and there is usually an answerphone. If you ever get anyone they tell you to call a taxi and try and persuade her to get in as she refuses to get in an ambulance. She cant be forced to unless a MH team come out to her home but this Trust delays assessments for days and days as shut all the beds. Mum got sent 100 miles away before for weeks and weeks with no follow up apt after as there is a 6 mnth delay to see community psychiatrist at Peckwater Centre

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 17 September 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 November 2016

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to comment via the Patient Opinion website on the services we provide at Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. We are very sorry for the experience you and your family have received. It would help us if you could contact the Trust’s Advice and Complaints Service directly so that we can obtain more detail in order to investigate properly.

They can be contacted on 020 3317 7102 or email them at complaints@candi.nhs.uk

London NW1 0YT

In order to clarify some details from the points you have raised – our Crisis Team Service operates 24 hours per day. All of our incoming calls are processed through our Crisis Call Centre which is staffed by crisis team clinicians, and after 9pm, we have one registered nurse or social worker on duty per borough overnight. Overnight, they respond to all incoming phone calls as well as supporting the mental health liaison teams at local Emergency Departments. At times, if they are meeting with a service user, the incoming caller will be diverted to leave a voicemail. This will be picked up as soon as the clinician becomes free.

You state that the Trust delays community assessments, “for days and days as shut all the beds”. We presently have just under 200 beds in our Acute Mental Health Services; this has been measured against the referral rate and found to be adequate for Camden and Islington residents who are in need of an acute admission. At times however, this demand can increase and is complicated by needing to work with some people who may present to our Trust but who may be visitors from overseas, have no obvious ties to the area or who may have become stuck in an inpatient setting due to some of their social needs (such as housing, finance etc) requiring input before they can be discharged. As an organisation we are continually working towards greater effectiveness in relation to our admission and discharge procedures so that we will always have a bed available locally for one of our residents.

Without the specific details concerning your mother, it is difficult to comment exactly on the reasons why you have and continue to experience such delays in receiving care for her so we would advise that you get in touch so that we can support you.

Yours sincerely

Debbie May
Operational Service Manager
Crisis Resolution and Liaison Teams

Mobile: 079 4415 1559
Landline: 020 7561 4164
Email: debbie.may@candi.nhs.uk

Inpatient 'care' - unsafe wards

If more people knew about this site then so many would probably write in like me as if you ever complain to the MH trust you will be totally ignored. The things is aswell they only think that a complaint has to be called formal and be in writing so all the complaints made to ward staff and nurses get ignored. And it doesn't ever seem safe to speak out if you are sectioned as then you are so scared they will be more cruel. So nothing ever gets better and so many things have got worse in the last 5 yrs. I have been an inpatient twice on Highgate wards where the wards are mixed and really frightening for women as men just go where they want and no one stops them. You only see nurses if they are sitting on a chair by your door and then when I was very unwell the nurse was just talking on their phone all the time. No one ever talks to you . It feels like being in a very unsafe and dirty prison. People are so scared to ask for help now as you get sent to Highgate if you are 'lucky' and if you are not you get sent miles away with no belongings and your phone removed. Also so many nurses seem to just threaten patients when they don't need to. I know some patients are very difficult but they don't try talk with them or anyone . And there are so many agency nurses especially at weekends when the care is so poor. A friend of mine committed suicide as she could not face being on a ward again and they dint support her at home just left her as no beds. Other places have set up all night safe cafes and such places where people can go and just feel safe and talk if they want to which is so much better than A&E. C&I are like out of the dark ages and this is really true. They don't want to change or they would. I doubt if anyone ever reads this apart from some feedback admin person. The chief executive should be made to answer

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 23 October 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Utterly Hopeless

Multiple bad experiences with this trust.Shocking lack of competance, care or being human.They will earn your trust and then throw back things you have told them to be used against you at the earliest opportunity.Inconsistant in everyway.Soon as they can they wash their hands and push you on to be someone elses problem.My advice is to get copies of your notes as your judged on only that.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 10 July 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 August 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read of your experience.

So that we can look into your concerns please contact us to provide us with more detailed information about your care. You can do this by emailing our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Service at feedback@candi.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3317 7102.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Worst NHS service I have used

This trust is a law into itself. There is no patient engagement / involvement in my experience. They are passive aggressive from the Consultant to the receptionist, their ideology is in the dark ages where the patient does as the doctor says and does not question the rationale. They document mistakes on your record. This organisation should be avoided at all costs especially the advice and assessment service. I have requested my GP send me to another trust and the service there was a far more humanistic approach I was treated with empathy and compassion. Camden and Islington Mental Health Trust you must sort your trust out and remember that the service is for vulnerable people I fear that the service is designed to get as much money from the CCG to pay the rude consultants and other staff a good salary. Places like tis I feel angry at my taxes going here what a waste of money. this trust has caused me mental distress not elevated it and up until now they refuse to acknowledge this and refuse to assess me because I am educated and have challenged the Consultants assessment.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 August 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We use all feedback to learn and to continuously improve the services we provide. We are very sorry to read that you feel that you had no involvement with your care.

So that we can look into your experience further please contact our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Service to provide us with more detailed information about your care. You can do this by email at feedback@candi.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3317 7102.