Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

0203 317 3500 St. Pancras Hospital, 4 St. Pancras Way , London, Greater London, NW1 0PE

Utterly Hopeless

Multiple bad experiences with this trust.Shocking lack of competance, care or being human.They will earn your trust and then throw back things you have told them to be used against you at the earliest opportunity.Inconsistant in everyway.Soon as they can they wash their hands and push you on to be someone elses problem.My advice is to get copies of your notes as your judged on only that.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 10 July 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 August 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read of your experience.

So that we can look into your concerns please contact us to provide us with more detailed information about your care. You can do this by emailing our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Service at feedback@candi.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3317 7102.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Worst NHS service I have used

This trust is a law into itself. There is no patient engagement / involvement in my experience. They are passive aggressive from the Consultant to the receptionist, their ideology is in the dark ages where the patient does as the doctor says and does not question the rationale. They document mistakes on your record. This organisation should be avoided at all costs especially the advice and assessment service. I have requested my GP send me to another trust and the service there was a far more humanistic approach I was treated with empathy and compassion. Camden and Islington Mental Health Trust you must sort your trust out and remember that the service is for vulnerable people I fear that the service is designed to get as much money from the CCG to pay the rude consultants and other staff a good salary. Places like tis I feel angry at my taxes going here what a waste of money. this trust has caused me mental distress not elevated it and up until now they refuse to acknowledge this and refuse to assess me because I am educated and have challenged the Consultants assessment.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 August 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We use all feedback to learn and to continuously improve the services we provide. We are very sorry to read that you feel that you had no involvement with your care.

So that we can look into your experience further please contact our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Service to provide us with more detailed information about your care. You can do this by email at feedback@candi.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3317 7102.

Access to Crisis Support

This Trust is really really awful. They will only respond to this posting as it is on a public site. Thy will say contact us on this feedback e mail and we will look in to it. They don't. Neither do they respond to complaints. Their crisis teams are dangerous and incompetent.Often when you call the crisis line it is an answerphone. Other times they will tell you to go to A&E where in 2/3 MH safe areas the CQC have found the places of safety to be unsafe. The Royal Free has ligature points. At Royal Free and UCLH they have NO nurse staff just security staff there. You can be there as a voluntary patient ( ie not sectioned) for over 12 hrs. Sometimes more. They make no attempt to find you somewhere to lie down as they would in physical health. Ring Camden crisis teams and you will rarely get a woman if you need one. My sister will only speak to female workers in crisis as she has a history of abuse. When she is very unwell a male crisis worker will trigger her symptoms making her more suicidal. C&I know this and they say on other sites that they always direct to a female worker when no crisis team woman available but when you ring they just say no women available. I have challenged them and they just say basically, tough - go to A&E. They don't come out to people at night or even in the day if you have not been formally referred. You are meant to be able to refer yourself but try it and they will still direct you to A&E which is an awful place to be in a MH crisis. They will respond here as if this is an anomaly. It is not. It is the norm for this Trust and even CQC acknowledge this now in report of June 2016. Someone in our carers group said the Samaritans should be given the night time support role instead of this team - in fact that is what the crisis team members often say 'ring the Samaritans'. I don't know anyone who thinks there is a crisis service in Camden and in our carers group we have lost people to suicide because the crisis team that gatekeeps beds couldn't find one in time.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 25 August 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of the Crisis Services provided by Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. We are sorry that your experience has not been positive and acknowledge the concerns you have raised, the Trust welcomes feedback so that we can continually learn in order to improve our services.

In regard to the issues you have raised:

- The feedback email communicates directly to our Advice and Complaints Service who endeavour to identify the correct staff member to respond in a prompt manner. Complainants are commonly met in person to discuss concerns and we apologise if this is not the standard you have received.

- The Crisis Line is operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. This service does experience peak times with a high volume of calls and as such there may be a delay in speaking to a clinician. The voicemail facility is optional, however Crisis Line staff will respond to all messages left on the same day.

- As a service we are aware of the issues raised by the CQC in June 2016 and are actively working with our colleagues in the acute hospitals you mention to improve the standards of these facilities.

- Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust provides a 24 hour psychiatric liaison service to the Accident and Emergency Departments of The Royal Free Hospital, University College Hospital, and the Whittington Hospital. All psychiatric liaison teams are staffed by registered mental health nurses and psychiatrists. There are security staff within each of the acute hospitals which are provided for the hospital as a whole. Sometimes they may be based in the emergency department and are needed to maintain the security of the department as a whole.

- It is standard protocol within the teams for a gender specific worker to be provided at the request of a patient. We apologise if this has not occurred for your sister and would encourage that the details of such an occasion are provided for investigation.

- It is concerning that instruction has been provided to attend the emergency department, again with further information this matter could be investigated to establish if this was appropriate advice or if an alternative should have been provided.

- Currently Crisis Resolution Teams are able to provide home treatment between the hours of 8am and 9pm. As a service we are aware that our operational hours may need adjusting and we are considering how to implement change in order to better support patients.

- Lastly to confirm, all Crisis Resolution Teams accept self-referrals and aim to provide an assessment within 24 hours of the initial contact.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about the Crisis Services in Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. Should you wish to discuss these matters further please contact Debbie May, Operational Manager – Crisis and Liaison Teams, on 020 7561 4164 or debbie.may@candi.nhs.uk

Debbie May, Operational Manager – Crisis and Liaison Teams

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Uncaring, secretive, unwilling to improve

The fact that the trust replied to the good comment about Netherwood a couple of posts down, and has totally ignored the poor review and complaint by the poster below this speaks volumes. It is exactly how they are. If you complain they never listen or take any action. Patients and service users, and staff whistleblowers who dare to speak out about anything are ignored and seen as troublesome and so nothing improves, ever.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 June 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 June 2016

We are very sorry that you feel that we are not listening or taking action on complaints. We would like to discuss your concerns so that we can look into these for you. To do this we will need you to provide us with more detailed information. Please email communications@candi.nhs.uk with your details including your telephone number so we can get the right person to get back to you.

Communications Team

overstretched under resourced

I am a service user in your system, I have severe mental illness, but regardless of NICE guidelines stating the best course of treatment for my condition(s) is therapeutic help and support, I cannot access it because there is none for my condition(s) it seems? so I'm being left unwell with minimal support and revolving between CMHT and crisis services. I often think of walking away from MH services.
This is the reason I wouldn't recommend...whats the point if the service is just a front, looking like its there but behind the scenes there is no real help?
However, the staff work hard and do their best even though they are stressed and stretched to their limits with no resources to offer but a kind word (which is important but isn't actually treatment...)

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 29 March 2015

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 March 2015

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for letting us know about this situation. To be able to deal with this matter effectively can you please contact communications@candi.nhs.uk with your email address and telephone number so we can get the right teams to get back to you promptly.
In the interim I will ask the relevant services to provide a more generic response to your comments.
Thank you.

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Awful trust led by arrogant consultants.

Medics are uncaring arrogant and therein no patient involvement. Worst mental health service I have used the CCG should look at the outcomes this trust. I have been left to manage my issues alone and use private services these Drs should ashamed. When I think CANDI it gives me chills.

Sad to see such a poor service, poor caring skills, poor empathy, compassion or an ability to listen to the service user. All these Drs want to do is medicate on a pill they want you challenge this and they turnoff you ask about their clinical reasoning and they will become very hostile towards you. I am currently getting legal advice as I feel this will be the only way to make these people learn.

In a crisis good luck you'll need it. Blunt but honest.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 13 January 2016

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 August 2016

We apologise for not getting back to you sooner. For technical reasons your review has only recently been drawn to our attention.

We are extremely sorry to read that you are not happy with the care we have provided. We take all patient feedback very seriously and would like to look into the concerns you have raised here. Please get in touch with us so that we are able to do this. Please contact our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Team on 020 3317 3117 or by emailing feedback@candi.nhs.uk

Our Feedback, Advice and Complaints Service are available between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Simon gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

The Netherwood Day Centre: A Saving Grace

I have cared for my mother, Elizabeth for the last 5 years, who is now at an advanced stage of Alzheimers, For the last 3 years, she has attended the Netherwood Day centre.

With increasing care demands and pressures, were it not for the Netherwood Day centre, I could not have coped and as a consequence would have been unable to continue to care for her. Thanks to the Netherwood Day Centre, not only are we able to sustain our lives together, but now enjoy a quality of life, such is the contribution and impact of Netherwood on our lives.

Proper care for people with this condition is demanding and requires commitment, compassion and attention to detail. In this regard, the staff at Netherwood excel themselves.

A testament to the value of the people within the NHS and it as an institution, as a service, focusing unstintingly on care quality for people, and not profits, it has contributed immeasurably to our lives and a health preservation for the both of us.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 September 2015

Dear Simon

We just wanted to say a big thank you for the kind words you have said about our team at Netherwood. It is always great to get positive feedback and we wanted to say thank you for this and for your support.

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care provided for a relative with dementia

I am the only next of kin of my cousin who suffers from dementia, and she has been for quite a while under the care of the mental health pekcwater centre in Camden. She has been extremely taken care off and her case was followed very closely and with great Compassion, all the staff involved are great but I would like to praise especially them for a job very well done.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 27 May 2014

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 June 2014

Dear Anonymous
Thank you so much for posting your compliment. It is much appreciated and we will make sure it is passed on to staff at Peckwater and other relevant teams.
Communications Team

AliMac gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Got Mental Health Problems? Let CANDI Expand Them!

I had a severe anxiety & less severe depression (ie not yet suicidal) diagnosis in 2009. My GPs prescribed SSRIs & referred me to the ISATs unit. for therapy. I was then left in limbo for over 3 months before ISATs allowed me to attend CBT-based group sessions as a precursor for 1:1 therapy.

2 months later I was told that I had expended my quota of group sessions, and by-the-way therapy was no longer on offer. Strong protest got me a weekly allocation with their summer student therapist, but she was severely restricted in what she was allowed to cover. After some weeks of "assessment sessions" she reached the point of formulating a forward plan of sorts, but now had to return to her uni course & I would get a handover to an alternative therapist. No handover ensued. Instead I was told I was on a waiting list to go back to square one with group sessions. By then I realised my original assumption that "the experts will sort this out" was utterly naive.

Thanks to a reasonable redundancy package from my last employer, I have been able to pay for private weekly therapy which has drawn me back to some sort of normality. However a recent re-referral to ISATs for advice on how to withdraw from SSRIs threw me back into that spiral of uncertainty, ie unknown waiting lists, no firm plan/commitments, lack of communication, I am currently trying to extract myself from ISATs 'engagement', which I know from my previous experience blocks any other NHS options.

In conclusion: I agree with other reviewers who say that different MH units in the borough seem eager to pass patients on to other units; having to recount your stressful build-up repeatedly to new units/people (a major anxiety trigger) just magnifies it; and no one in the NHS structure seems to take any ownership of an MH patient's overall treatment or progress.

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 13 July 2013

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2014

Dear AliMac

We are very sorry that we have not responded sooner. Due to a technical issue this website was not being monitored by us, but it is now. From this point on we will consider, respond to, and act upon comments in a far more timely manner.

We are sorry to read that you have not been happy with your experience of our ISATs service.

Your comments about our ISATs waiting times, and communication with people who have been referred to the service, have been taken very seriously. We are striving to improve these aspects of our work and we have passed your comments to the relevant teams and service directors.

Since you posted your comment we have begun to review our practices to further reduce waiting times and improve communication. We are now reviewing all current referrals to the ISATs service and offering alternative treatment providers, if this reduces waiting time for therapy.

In your case, we clearly did not offer you the help you hoped for. We have not been responsive when you've needed help and it's clearly not acceptable for us to treat you in this way.

If you have time we would like to speak with you as we are committed to improving our services.

Please get in touch with us by telephone on 020 3317 3117 or email us at feedback@candi.nhs.uk.

Our Advice and Complaints Service is available between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. If you wish to meet with a member of our team please phone or email to make an appointment. We also regularly visit wards and other Trust services.

Anonymous gave Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

impossible to access therapeutic services

I've been trying to get help for over a year now. I've been assessed by IAPT, Camden Advice and Assessment Team, the Crisis Team and the Complex Depression and Anxiety Team. My GP had referred me for therapy, but each service assesses me and then refers me somewhere else. I am now awaiting an appointment for my 7th assessment. If this was a physical health service the newspapers would be all over it - the staff themselves seem nice enough, but the system is broken. I just can't access what I need. I'd prefer it that they were honest and just said there are no effective therapeutic services any more, rather than have to go through the same story with different teams time and time again.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 18 April 2013

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 May 2014

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for complimenting our staff, however we are sorry to read that you have not been happy with your experience of the service as a whole.

You describe having been assessed a number of times, with no satisfactory response. You also express concern about a number of our services and say that you are not getting the services you need.

We aim to offer care and treatment that meet the needs of our service users and in your case, we clearly did not offer you the help you hoped for. We want to put this right so please get in touch with our Advice and Complaints team on 020 3317 3117 or email feedback@candi.nhs.uk. They are waiting for your call.