South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

01785 257888 Trust Headquarters, St. George's Hospital, Corporation Street , Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16 3SR

Anonymous gave South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Life long mental health problem

Got referred to the Tamworth CMHT for what I thought was BPD. I was messed around with appointments and didn't have a proper psychiatrist as the one I initially had was off ill and was places with a psychologist.

In the end, I got told they thought I had cyclothemia as my issues tend to cycle. Whilst I didn't disagree with their opinion, the worst was to come. Keep taking anti-depressants via your GP and purchase some books off Amazon. I was discharged and told to help myself or use other services around the area.

Now I know the reason the countries NHS services are in disarray. I got referred back in November because of suicidal thoughts.

My confidence in these services are shot. You will only get somewhere if you pose a threat to people in society.

On a positive note, the people who run these services are polite.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

On behalf of the service, I would like to apologise for the experiences you have described. As Service Manager your experiences are not the experiences we would wish our service users to have and can only apologise. If I could encourage you to contact the Trust’s Customer Services department; to enable your concerns to be looked into.

Lynne Hunt, Service Manager

Totally Unacceptable

I was first referred to the eating disorder service at the end of last year, after waiting a month or so for an initial appointment I was seen in the December. I can't fault the person I saw, they were kind attentive and really seemed to have a genuine interest in what I was saying. They did inform me they'd be off work for several months so I wouldn't be seen again until March 2017. Accepting this as these things happen, I waited patiently until April came around and still nothing. I rang the service to chase this up and was given an appointment a couple of weeks away, not too long to wait and I put it down to just one of those things seeing as the person I was seeing had probably only just got back maybe. So I arrived for my appointment and my first question was how were things whilst to you were off, to be met with the reply that they had in fact not been off work this whole time as the procedure they were due to have was cancelled but they are now going to be off around June/July again for the same time to have a different procedure. So can someone please explain to me why on earth I've been sat around waiting for months to see someone only to be told I could've been seen ages ago and now will have another gap in my appointments this year? I appreciate this was probably not the actual clinicians fault but a total mess up by administrators who are in charge of making appointments. I as an administrator for the NHS myself know that sometimes things fall through the cracks and it can't be helped but looking at the other reviews for this trust this seems to be a recurring problem, has no training been offered to address this issue? Or a larger scale investigation to see why this is happening? It's just totally unacceptable to leave someone for four months with nothing when they could have been seen that whole time. It's no wonder people have a total lack of faith in the NHS when things like this repeatedly happen. If I had been a suicidal patient would I have been seen quicker then? I'm afraid the faith I had in the service at the beginning of my experience has diminished completely.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 28 April 2017

South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the Trust’s attention and for the positive comments concerning your initial contact with the service.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you were left waiting unnecessarily.

Unfortunately the staff member was unable to state when she could see you as she herself was left waiting for an appointment for surgery and did not know when this was likely to be. Although it might appear that you could have been seen earlier, this was not the case and it was not a clerical error, we could not offer an appointment during this period of time due to the uncertainty of when our staff member could herself be seen.

I am very sorry that you experienced your treatment so far in this way, this is an unusual situation for our service and we have endeavoured to cover for colleagues who are requiring time away from work due to the need for physical procedures, however, our waiting list in Shropshire has increased as a result and we are currently trying to resolve this by looking to offer a secondment into these posts as a temporary measure in order to reduce waiting times.

I am happy to meet with you to explain the above and to discuss how we might best meet your needs at this current time. For the Trust to look at the possibility of you being seen by someone else from the service, we would encourage you to contact the Customer Services department on 0300 318850 in order to discuss further.

Mrs Kim Moore, Service Manger