Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

01752 202082 Derriford Hospital, Derriford Road , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Sue gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Incorrect prescription

I visited the Dermatology Outpatient department at Derriford Hospital this morning. I saw the Dermatologist who gave me a presciption for a foam cream for my psoriasis. I asked whether it contained anything that I am allergic to - but the Dermatologist said it would be fine. I then picked up the cream in the pharmacy and took it home. Fortunately I read the ingredients and also checked them on the web-site of the manufacturer. This cream contains Betametasone - one of my most dangerous allergy provoking substances (causes an anaphylactic shock) however the cream also contains Calcipotriol (another substance to which I am highly allergic to).
The Dermatology department has a full and extensive list of all my allergies. If I had been stupid enough to have used this cream I could even have died. (I have already suffered 5 ictus cerebrale and 3 pulmonary embolisms)

Googling symptoms is not a good way to prescribe medicine.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 05 October 2017

We sincerely apologise for the error in prescribing a foam cream that you have known allergies to and for the serious consequences this could have had if you had used the cream.
Your e-mail will be discussed with the dermatology consultants at their weekly team meeting to ensure this error does not occur again and that those patient notes with specific allergies are thoroughly read before each appointment.
It would be helpful if the service line manager was aware of your name and hospital number so she can discuss with the consultant responsible for your care.
To enable the department to fully investigate the concerns made we would appreciate if you could contact Karen Attis, Dermatology department on 01752 439633.

Val Harris gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

These people are angels on earth

I am sure I would not be alive now if it wasn't for.the staff and dedication of these fantastic people.
They work long and hard.
Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Bless each and everyone of them.
It restores your faith in human kindness.
Very thankful to have them.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 18 July 2017

Anonymous reviewed Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Assistance with Disability

I brought a patient in on Monday 13th March. She had arranged for a wheelchair and porter to meet her at Reception as she can barely walk.
Nowhere to park on arrival. Left my car partially obstructing the stupidly narrow lane and went to reception, risking a parking charge. No Porter. Reception phoned them, they would be down. Patient struggled in. Still no porter, phoned again. Porter said no wheelchair available.
I found a place to leave my car in Car Park A and returned to reception. Patient still waiting and now late for appointment! Receptionist found wheelchair and I pushed patient to the appointment on Level 4.
After the appointment, I had to take the patient down to the entrance and leave her waiting while I retrieved my car. This time I managed to find a place to park before I got her to my car.
My function is to drive patients to and from appointments etc, and although we give some help when required, we are not meant to take the place of your porters when they can't do as they have been asked.
The recent changes to the road system in front of Derriford have made things more difficult and the lack of dedicated volunteer driver spaces complicate things even more.
How are we supposed to drop off and collect people if there are no spaces to stop and are constantly worrying about getting a parking charge while we try to help them in or out?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Carole gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Visit to X-ray

Recently attended for an ultrasound examination. This involved a transvaginal examination as well. I am not young and was a little nervous the first time I had to have this but was treated with such consideration and respect that when I had to go back for another one, it held no fear for me. The experience was the same, the radiologist was professional and kind. I am disabled so had difficulty in "adopting the position" but they helped me to find a position that was comfortable for me. I was seen promptly with very little wait. Thank you.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 24 February 2017

Anonymous gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Wanted Emrgency for for 9 hours no been seen by doctor

Went to hospital about eight hours not been seen the doctor for eight hours and emergency my daughter she's very know very well not been seen by the doctor for a hours disappointed I wasn't happy Plymouth hospital

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 05 December 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 12 December 2016

Good afternoon,
I am sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with us following your recent attendance to our Emergency department.
As the patient opinion website is anonymous please would you be kind enough to email mailto:plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net with some further information so we may investigate your concerns further.
Patient Experience Support Manager

Anonymous gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Service & Treatment

Since moving from South to West Devon in 2015 I have been referred to A & E, Rheumatology & Maxillofacial depts for treatment. In every case I received efficient, informative & timely care. Despite being under obvious pressure staff maintained a positive attitude to my problems & respected my dignity. Derriford has received bad press on occasions when, inevitably, mistakes have apparently been made, but in my opinion the hard-working staff should be congratulated.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 28 November 2016

Good afternoon
I am so pleased to hear that you felt that you received efficient, informative and timely care with a positive attitude to your problems and staff respected your dignity.
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the care you received within the A & E, Rheumatology and Maxillo facial departments. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your comments.

Linda C gave at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care at Derriford.

I am writing to express my gratitude for the excellent care and treatment I received when admitted in the early hours of 28th October. I was cared for in Tavy and Tamar wards then transferred to Bickleigh. I was overwhelmed by the kindness and professionalism shown by all staff. Can't praise enough. Many thanks to you all.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016

Dear Linda
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the care you received whilst you were on Tavy, Tamar and Bickleigh Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff and also the paramedic team who came out to assist you.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the teams involved in your care. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope you are feeling much better now.

Sherry Tolson gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful paramedics and Nurses

I would like to thank the paramedics that came out to me at Millindreath (I was on holiday at the time) and took me to Plymouth hospital. They were very patient with me, and totally professional. I am not allowed to mention names here, however they were brilliant and should be recognised for the excellent service they provided me. They were very attentive, and showed a real caring nature thank you. The nurse who took care of me in majors was wonderful and really caring, again no names. They made sure I was comfortable, and did everything they could to make sure I was made comfortable when I was in pain. Really attentive thank you. I was really impressed with the care all of you took and although I was in a lot of pain, your understanding. I really appreciate everything you did for me.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 20 September 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 October 2016

Dear Sherry
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the care you received from the team in our Emergency Department. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff and also the paramedic team who came out to you.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with the teams involved in your care. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope you are feeling much better now and enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

PeetH reviewed Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Excellent experience

I spent the day in Derriford yesterday for a small op on my tooth under general anaesthetic. Just have to say a big thumbs up. Fantastic, caring staff, very thorough and informative. Having spent time with my Mum in Derriford earlier this year and visiting a dear friend too.. I really can't reconcile all the complaints with my experiences. In spite of the unpleasant and painful reasons for being in hospital I have been hugely impressed with the excellent treatment my mother, my dear friend and now myself have received. Thank You

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016

Traceyt gave Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic!

I attended the emergency eye department whilst on holiday in Plymouth during the bank holiday weekend. Every single person that dealt with me showed great care, warmth, friendliness and compassion. This includes the person in reception, the nurse, the doctor, the staff in the cafe and the porter who showed us the way to get to the cafe! My eye was dealt with quickly and I was given some excellent advice to stop the problem reoccurring.
All in all my experience of the hospital was five star, and the best hospital I have ever visited.
Thank you.