The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust

01279 444455 Hamstel Road, Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Melissa gave at The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Overcrowded

Today I came to get my bloods taken, I am 36 weeks pregnant and need to check my iron levels. After waiting an hour the que had only moved 30 spaces with another 60 until it would have been my turn. In the end I had to leave as I had to collect my son from pre-school. I understand that they are busy but I have never know it to go so slow. I could not come any earlier or later as waiting there with a 2yr old would have been even worse. My son Is at preschool for 3 hrs a day and it looks like it would have taken me longer than that to get done. Off to st Margaret's tomorrow to see if I have a better chance!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 11 October 2017

Thanks for taking the time to say how things were for you.

A number of things are happening at the moment (the last few months of 2017) which may be creating additional crowding and 'busy-ness'.

We are refurbishing our Main Outpatient Services on the Harlow hospital site where bloods are taken to create a better patient experience, with a modern refreshed, more comfortable and private waiting space; Emergency Department is being rebuilt internally to improve patient flow and help us get you through faster if you need this kind of care; and our main Ground Level corridors are being brightened up, repainted and re-floored, with as well as replacing the main staircase in the Restaurant Atrium.

Thank you again for your comment as it gives us a chance to explain what we are doing. If you would like to speak to a senior manager in person, we can also arrange that, just call 01279 82 72 11.

Adiepaul gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Dirty and disgusting

My mother was taken to a&he and allocated a bed in aeu while waiting to be admitted to a wars . This was one of the hottest days of the year . The air conditioning was not working and I had to constantly to keep on at staff to get some fans . The window frames were full of grime which obviously had not been cleaned for months .
The toilets were filthy on the ground floor . My dad ( 86 years old) was disgusted with the conditions.
The cleaners need re-training. Conditions in this hospital need improving fast , the leaders need to visit on a weekend as what the CEO thinks of the hospital is not the reality .

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 30 June 2017

Dear Adiepaul,

I am so sorry you experienced this. We do not have air conditioning and the site is very old and that is part of the reason we are in the early stages of the thinking around building a new hospital facility in the local area.

However, there is never any excuse for grime, lack of cleaning or lack of hygiene. We do pride ourselves on one of the lowest infection rates in England and so it is shocking to read your comments.

It is for this reason that we would be keen to speak to you to see how this has happened. If you are willing, please contact us on 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Thank you.

A few years ago I posted about the wonderful care my dad got at PAH, the staff we so lovely, today, I'd like to thank them for caring for my mum, the staff, all of them from cleaners to cardiologists have taken good care of my mum,( I know its not always the case) , but this week, I'm so grateful to them. Xx

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 07 April 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 08 June 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. We've ensured this has been passed on to the cleaners... and yes the cardiology team too.

Anonymous gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

lethargic care

After having a motorcycle crash on Sunday afternoon at Rye House Speedway track I was taken to the A & E department, then transferred to the resuss department as a precautionary measure (which was a good thing). My shoulder was discloated and broken, also my forearm was broken. They insisted on putting me on a spinal board and neck brace and making me lie flat on my back which was excruciatingly painful on my injuries. I understand why they wanted to do this, but I kept explaining it was too painful to lie down and they wouldn't listen. They insisted on me having a CT scan but I couldn't keep my arm down and they very irritated with me for not being able to put it down. I felt like I was a nuisance to them. After many painful attempts they did the scan and some x-rays and I was sent to Tye Green ward. The nurses didn't come to check on me all night unless I pressed the buzzer. I had to keep asking for painkillers and they would go away and take ages to come back. I asked them 7 or 8 times for stronger pain relief, but I was told only a doctor could authorise this. I asked over and over for a doctor but none came. I was awake pretty much alnight in horrendous pain. All the bed controls and water jug etc were always moved and left out of reach when they came around, I got wise to this and had to ask for them to be put in reach each time. This just seems to be so unthoughtful, a complete lack of common sense !!. They left me dislocated with minimal pain relief for 18 hours! The surgeons were excellent, but the nurses were not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They were unattentive and lethargic and disinterested, except for one member of staff in the last hour or so I was there, they were brilliant.

I never ever want to go back to Tye Ward again, it was the longest hours of my life, I couldn't wait to leave. I've been in a few accidents over the years, and I can put up with pain, but this whole episode left me feeling sad and very angry.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 18 May 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I can't imagine the difficulties you have had in going through this accident and I am sorry we were not able to do more to control your pain relief. Achieving optimal control with the kinds of injuries you describe is exceptionally difficult but I completely accept that we needed to get this right and did not.

I have spoken to the teams involved in your care and treatment, they were disheartened to read the comments as they genuinely do work as hard as they can to deliver a high quality service. I have suggested that the team make time to meet with you and talk through what went wrong and what we could do better and they are keen on this.

If you feel able to take the team up on their offer please get in touch with the Patient Experience Team NHS Choices Lead on 01279 82 70 84 as soon as possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell us your story.

Anonymous reviewed The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust

Appointments failure

Five years ago I became a general surgery patient for the removal of a cancerous polyp on my colon. The surgery went very well and I have nothing but sincere respect and gratitude both for the surgical and nursing teams at that time.
As a cancer patient I was told that I would be monitored for 5 years. This aftercare too, has until now been excellent. I have, luckily, remained clear of cancer.
My complaint starts with the attempt to pin down my final appointment with the General Surgery clinic at St Margaret's in Epping. I have had my appointment cancelled five times. The five appointments stretch from 28th April to 11th August. To be fair, the last of these was at my request as one of the dates was when I am holiday. However, no sooner had I received my 11th August appointment, I received a cancellation for that and been changed to an earlier date in July, again when I'm on holiday.
In order to prepare for this appointment, I am meant to undergo a colonoscopy as a final check on the surgery site. This is not the most pleasant procedure. I am reluctant to make the colonoscopy appointment in case the same fiasco affects that too.
What really annoys me, these changes are made with a glib apology for the inconvenience and no explanation. We are also told if we fail to attend, the cost to the NHS is £150. I wonder how much of this cost goes towards paying someone to send five change of appointment letters? Consider the cost to the patient. As I don't have a car, my daughter books time off work to take me. Needless to say, her employers are sick of this debacle too. There is also the anxiety and frustration I am going through. Thank goodness I am at the end of my 5 years with General Surgery. Should I, God forbid, need them again, I hope things will have improved.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 30 May 2017

Dear Anonymous,

The number of times your appointment has been cancelled should trigger a mechanism which minimises the risk of this recurring and so I am sorry that has not happened even if you requested the last one. As you are posting your comment anonymously I am unable to check how this has happened without your making contact with me or a member of my team in Patient Experience. If you feel able to do so, please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01279 82 72 11, Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm.

We are always looking at ways in which we can improve our service, part of which is to review letters being sent to patients and so I will be making sure your comments are sent to the staff responsible for your outpatient letter so they are able to make an informed decision about the consequences of explaining the cost. I do hope we are able to resolve this for you through the Patient Experience Team, if not, please do make contact again.

Charlotte collison gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Hmmmmm

I was admitted on monday evening spent two nights on melvin ward staff were brilliant and i was very well cared for by them however not so much by your doctors who discharged me whipst i was stil very ill in lots of pain and being sick thursday afternoon referred back to A&E and once again admitted as im still clearly unwell! Sent to kingsmoor ward which so far i have been on hrere 3 hours a nurse has not checked on simply acknoledged i am here and explained how very busy they are its also midnight all the lights are still on i cant get to sleep i havent sleep properly for days this isnt helping please send me back to melvin ward at least i know the nurses there will actually take care of me not just ignore me!!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 March 2017

Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. I do hope the rest of your experience was a little better and more akin to the experience on Melvin Ward. Really disappointing to read about your experience with the doctors, that's really not the experience we want you to have and I know our Chief Medical Officer would agree if I said we'd really like to hear more from you about your experience so we can work with our staff to minimise the likelihood of a recurrence of your care experience.

If you feel able to do so, please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01279 82 70 84 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Melvin ward

Had a rush to a and e as was pregnant with abdominal pain a and e was a long wait but staff were very busy, was finally admitted to Melvin ward where the nurses there were top quality efficient caring and very hard working, staff members were all outstanding. The ward was very very clean and they worked so hard. The doctors were hit and miss and you wasn't quite clear where you was going and when and what was happening, I left without a diagnosis and still feeling poorly but whilst I was there this ward was fantastic.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 25 March 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 08 June 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for your very kind words about Melvin Ward. It does seem some issues for you were unresolved. If you do need to follow this up please can you contact us on 01279 82 72 11, Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm.

Ian Turner gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Help heeded

I am currently in Tye Green Ward I have been waiting for 4 Days to see a doctor, because I am a medical patient in a surgical ward, they can't get a medical doctor to walk from one side of the hospital to the other, it has been escalated to the matron and to the head of admissions, yet I am still waiting to see a doctor, is there anyone, anywhere in this hospital that can help please

Ian Turner

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 24 February 2017

Dear Ian,

I understand you have been reviewed and discharged yesterday with some support from our PALS team. I am sorry you were delayed at all, however these are challenging times and and so we do appreciate the patience of everyone who uses our services at this time, patients, families, carers and friends alike.

Peter Hurn gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care of elderly

Staff on Henry Moore ward went above and beyond in their care of my mother in her last days. They allowed us to stay with her constantly and the Dementia champions were also wonderful in helping us to understand what was happening.
Cannot praise the whole team enough.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 26 February 2017

The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust replied on 17 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback, our hard-working staff always strive to provide great care on every visit and so it is appreciated that you have taken the time to leave a comment.

We also realise that we don't always get it right, so if ever in future you need support from the Patient Experience Team, please contact 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk and we will do our best to respond.

Clair Humphrey gave The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Melvin ward - nursing staff deserve medals

I was referred to A&E on 27/2/17 from my gp after they phoned the hospital and spoke to surgical SHD who said to go to A&e to get blood tests for suspected appendicitis. a&E so busy and asked same questions by 5 people all of which gp had given into to. Was admitted to Melvin ward and all I can say is the nursing staff on this ward were angels- so patient, kind, reassuring when getting conflicting information from doctors. I was lucky enough to have a side room which made my stay of 4 nights easier they checked me regularly but also gave enough space to allow me to deal with me symptoms and have privacy. The staff bringing food etc and cleaning were equally good. Two nursing staff stood out as an excellent example of what the NHS needs they should be personally credited for their dedication and hard work. I would suggest that the person standing outside my door talking very loudly to nursing staff basically almost pushing me out my bed to discharge on Friday 3rd march even though hadn't even had canular out my hand needs to take some training from them they even looked embarrassed and later apologised that I'd overheard ( I am a person with a name and not simply room 9) the person was an ultimate pencil pusher whereas they demonstrated what true care should be. You need more nurses like them and less people like them ( I bet the pencil pusher is paid more too). Well done nursing staff.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 March 2017