Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust

0118 322 5111 Royal Berkshire Hospital, London Road , Reading, Berkshire, RG1 5AN

Janet Jarvis gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Podiatry Surgery

I cannot praise the service I have received from the Podiatry tteam and the Day Surgery Unit enough. All the staff from the receptionists to the nurses and doctors at the West Berkshire Community Hospital were very friendly and professional.

I have recently had foot surgery in the Day Unit and I was extremely well looked after. Although the Royal Berkshire Hospital is closer to home it was well worth travelling further as parking is much easier and cheaper and the hospital itself is easier to access and has a quiet and calm atmosphere.

I would like to thank all the Doctors and nurses in Podiatry for the excellent care I received during my surgery and outpatient appointments.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 September 2017

Thank you for your lovely review of the Day Surgery Unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital - we are very pleased that you have had such a positive experience. The staff are dedicated to ensuring each patient receives excellent care and they will be delighted to read your review.

Stu gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Experience!

I had dental surgery under GA at the Day Surgery Unit and I can't praise the whole staff enough for their fantastic work
The consultant explained what would happen and the recovery process before surgery and really put me at ease
Anaesthetist was also very professional putting me to sleep,
Theatre staff and Recovery staff I can't thank enough
And last but no means least the Wonderful Ward staff,took care of all my needs and made my visit so very calming and reassuring
I would have no hesitation recommending WBCH to family and friends for their treatment

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 September 2017

Thank you for posting a review of the Day Surgery Unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital - we are very pleased that you had such a good experience. The matron will pass on your comments to the staff involved who will be delighted to read your feedback.

Anonymous gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Difficult to Get and Appointment and Keep it!

I have been referred by GP because my optician found something during a routine eye test. I received a letter with a password asking me to go online and make an appointment. I did that and got the next available which was three months away - 1st August 2017. Then I get a letter cancelling the appointment and offering me another for the beginning of September. I have a holiday booked so did the proper thing and rang to let them know. I asked why my appointment had been cancelled and was told it was because the doctor had booked a holiday. Then we went through an extremely long conversation about how I had booked the appointment, etc. In the end I got really fed up and I'm afraid to say quite cross. Anyway it ended with me being given an appointment in July. The next day I got a phone call to say that the person I had been talking to had booked me into the wrong clinic. They gave me an appointment for 2nd August. This morning I get a letter saying I have cancelled my appointment and would I go online and rebook. Obviously, I was confused. After speaking to four different people I have discovered I do have an appointment on 2nd August. What on earth is going in? I have heard of people having to wait long periods of time for an appointment but messing people about like this is ridiculous. So this mornings letter was a complete waste of time and money. In the meantime I have no idea what is wrong with my eye and I just wait..... Eye Department not listed below...

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that this issue has now been sorted and you have had your appointment and will hopefully get any treatment required.

Lynn Hayter gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

WBCH MRI Scanner Van

I recenlty attended the MRI scanner van at the West Berkshire Community Hospital & was treated in a kind, helpful & efficient manner by all the staff who looked after me. I could not have asked for better care.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 17 July 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback regarding your recent visit to the West Berkshire Community Hospital MRI scanner. It's reassuring to know that we were able to deliver a caring and efficient service. Your kind comments will be passed on to the staff involved.

Mr Barry Gibbs gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

My visit to the Royal Berks Hospital

I have just recently had to have the services of the A&E department at the Royal Berks Hospital . from the moment I entered the hospital the care I received was just wonderful from the nursing staff to the doctors every one was so caring and made me feel at ease and also made me feel very special even that they were so busy. I could not have asked for more, Thanks to you all at the Royal Berks Hospital.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 August 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 September 2017

Many thanks for your recent review of the Emergency Department. We try our very best to ensure compassionate care so it is lovely to hear when this is achieved even when we are incredibly busy. We hope you are now recovering well.

Lynn Hayter gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

WBCH Audiology Department is Excellent

My recent experience of the audiology department at the West Berkshire Community Hospital was excellent. I got an appointment quite quickly, was seen exactly at my appointment time, the staff are kind, considerate, knowledgable and helpful. I could not have asked for better care.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 September 2017

Thank you for your feedback on the Audiology Service at West Berkshire Community Hospital.
It’s great to hear that you had a positive experience of the service and that you found the clinicians ready to help with knowledge, kindness and consideration. The team work hard to provide a quality service and they will be delighted to hear your comments.

Carole gave at Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Angiogram.

I recently visited Jim Shahi day unit for an Angiogram. The staff were wonderful; friendly, professional, reassuring, kind, caring and always wearing a smile. All my questions were answered and I felt totally confident that I was in very safe hands. Many thanks to all the staff, I can't praise them highly enough.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 May 2017

Thank you for your positive review of the care you received on the Jim Shahi Unit. The matron for the area will ensure that your comments get passed on to the team involved.

Matthew gave at Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Angioplasty

The staff at the Jim shahi unit are superb. The level of care they gave to me on the 11 Apr 2017 could not be faulted. I came in for an angiogram and ended up having two stents
I am constantly hearing about how bad the NHS is, which incidentally is not my experience. I was diagnosed and treated within 14 weeks of first going to my GP with chest discomfort.
I am so grateful to everyone on the coronary unit and within the NHS for treating me so quickly .
My best wishes to everyone on the unit .

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Many thanks for your positive feedback for the Jim Shahi Unit. The matron will ensure the entire team get to read your review. We hope you are feeling much better following your treatment.

JohnCorfe reviewed Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent Walk-in Minor Injury Unit

I popped in to the Minor Injuries Unit with a painful and weak finger after a gardening mishap. From arrival at reception the staff were welcoming, friendly, helpful and caring. Within one hour of arrival I had seen a nurse, had an x-ray and had a follow up dialogue with the same nurse. Very relaxed in a smart environment with an exceptionally high quality service all round.

Surely, such edge of town Community Hospitals with Minor Injuries Clinics, should be an integral part of the future development of the NHS. They must relieve the pressure from main hospital A&Es and from your own GP practice. It would speed up everything and everyone would benefit.

A huge tick from me.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 April 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and your kind comments. We are pleased that you were happy with the care and treatment provided at the Minor Injuries Unit. I will share your feedback with staff concerned. I am sure that they will appreciate this.

Kind Regards,
Trevor Lyalle
Patient Advice & Liaison Service
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 0118 9605027
E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Sunil Dharmabandhu gave Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

How excellence in cataract ops could still improve!

I had an operation for my R eye cataract by an outstanding clinical team under an equally eminent consultant on 03 April 17. The consultant is warm,friendly and down to earth making patients feel welcome and relaxed. Such high standards in service delivery could easily make Royal Berkshire Hospital the envy of other NHS hospitals! However,RBH could improve further still if only a few areas of deficit,albeit very important to patients' experience are addressed as a matter of urgency which in terms of overall costs must be a drop in the ocean! After a successful operation,I was discharged with a green plastic bag containing useful information leaflet in aftercare,eye drops,patient identification details of the lens implant and a discharge letter. What's NOT included however are two indispensable basic items: a few packs of gauze and micropore,considering that the patient is required to remove the eye patch the following day,apply an eye drop every 4 hours and wear the all important clear plastic eye guard at night for two weeks. It needs to be strapped in place with micropore! It was a totally humiliating experience when I had to telephone my GP surgery for a couple of sterile gauze packs and micropore today to be told by the Practice Nurse that I need to go out and buy them from a pharmacy the day after undergoing an eye operation! It may well be that even the consultant ophthalmologist is not aware of such a glaring deficit when patients are discharged! Imagine the costs to the NHS when things go wrong in aftercare with accidental trauma or an infection in the absence of such indispensable basic items! This is a classic case of being £ foolish and pennywise ! I sincerely hope that the authorities take serious note of my constructive criticism and take immediate steps to include one or two packs of gauze and a micropore in the discharge pack to make what is otherwise an outstanding service delivered by a team of brilliant clinicians!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 04 April 2017

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience of Ophthalmology at the Royal Berkshire Hospital. We are pleased to hear that you found the clinical service to be of a high standard and will share your kind comments with the team. We are sorry that you had problems post-operatively obtaining dressings and tape - at every patient's pre-operative assessment appointment we do advise the need to obtain these items before their operation. We are sorry if this was not explained clearly to you. The matron for the area has discussed this with the pre-op team to ensure they make this clear and we will also check the written patient advice handed out to make sure this information is included. Thank you again.