Wye Valley NHS Trust

01432 355 444 The County Hospital, Union Walk , Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2ER

Anonymous reviewed Wye Valley NHS Trust

Eye department

Just wanted to say thank you to the eye department at Hereford County Hospital. My 2 year old daughter was referred by the GP and we were seen quickly and efficiently. We were seen by a senior orthoptist, who obviously has lots of experience of working with little ones and they were fab at communicating with my daughter and getting her to cooperate. We were then seen by a consultant who again was brilliant. Explained everything clearly and answered all of our questions. The consultant was reassuring and listened to our concerns. She has since been seen by another orthoptist, who again was really good with our daughter. The reception staff are friendly and have always been apologetic when issues have arisen. Very impressed with the department.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 10 October 2017

On behalf of the Wye Valley NHS Trust thank you for your kind comments in respect of your daughter's care and treatment whilst visiting the Ophthalmic Department here at the County Hospital. The Trust is always happy to receive good or bad comments in order that we can continue to improve our service.

We will pass your comments on to the department in order that they are shared with the staff.

We hope your daughter continues to make good progress.

Patient Experience Team

Stuart Pettifer gave Wye Valley NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

my Minor surgery

After earlier consultation I was advised that a biopsy would be required for a lump inside my mouth. Within 4 weeks I was phoned to say there was an appointment available, which I took.
I arrived early, went into the small surgery before my due time, and was treated very gently and with great skill and courtesy.
the stitches have now dissolved and the lump and swelling gone.
All the staff involved in this experience were first class.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 03 October 2017

On behalf of the Wye Valley NHS Trust thank you for your kind comments in respect of your recent minor surgery. the Trust is always happy to receive feedback from patients in order that we can continue to improve our services.

We will pass your comments on to the Sister of the Department in order that she can share with her staff.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Wye Valley NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy day case

I attended today for an endoscopy, very apprehensive as I had not experienced one before. I need not have worried the staff were kind, considerate and caring. The consultant, Nurse and RGN were wonderful and I apologise for holding their hand so tight.

We are very lucky to have such a wonderful department in Hereford. Thank you all very much.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 24 April 2017

On behalf of Wye Valley NHS Trust I wish to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable patient experience feedback. Your compliments have been forwarded to the Endoscopy Team. With all kindest regards.
Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Wye Valley NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care following a fall

Following a fall in my garden, I received a broken left elbow, and some shock! I was treated very well in Hereford County Hospital by all the staff, especially the orthopaedic staff. I also wish to thank the physiotherapy staff at Leominster Community Hospital.
I am at last able to drive again and live a 'normal' and very active life. I am very grateful.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 26 April 2017

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 22 May 2017

On behalf of Wye Valley NHS Trust I wish to thank you for your appreciation of the patient experience you received. I shall be passing your comments on to all the staff concerned. With many thanks. Patient Experience Team.

Pamela Cooper gave Wye Valley NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Department

I recently had treatment in the Endoscopy Department at the County Hospital. The Doctor and Nurses were kind, considerate, understanding and professional. I cannot fault this department and I hope that the staff read this positive review.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 19 February 2016

On behalf of Wye Valley NHS Trust I wish to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I shall be passing your compliments on to the Endoscopy staff and we are pleased that you had a positive patient experience.

Anonymous gave Wye Valley NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Frighteningly poor neurological care

My husband, who has complex neurological problems, was admitted in June 2015 after suddenly developing seizures and what we now know was cerebrogenic asystole (his heart stopped in the ambulance - he was resuscitated by an excellent paramedic). He had a CT scan but a EEG was arranged and then cancelled . A visiting neurologist refused to see him (citing "issues" relating to a complaint about him made by my husband 5 years ago and upheld at the time). Another a visiting neurologist, saw my husband for less than 5 minutes immediately before he was discharged to community care because his seizures had by then been brought under control by medication on the advice of the London neurology hospital where my husband is a patient. They did not examine him and dismissed his symptoms as "dissociative" and "non-neurological", despite 22 references in his records to "tonic clonic seizures", "grand mal" seizures, "focal seizures" etc. etc. made by medical, nursing and ambulance staff. They also cancelled the planned EEG (despite this being a NICE recommendation for new-onset seizures, and despite the numerous references to seizures in his notes). An MRI was refused (also a NICE recommendation). They stated that "no neurology" was required. We were so concerned that we subsequently arranged a private appointment with an epilepsy specialist at the London specialist neurological hospital who treat my husband for other problems. We also paid privately for an MRI scan, which sadly has revealed a brain lesion (which is under ongoing investigation) which has "definitely progressed" since an previous MRI scan in 2012. The London specialist also believes this to be the likely cause of the seizures and continues to treat my husband (now via the NHS). He has since received 5 weeks of inpatient care and investigations in specialist wards. We have complained to the Trust who, after lengthy delays, have sent the most evasive and inadequate responses, which simply do not address our concerns! Some of the medical care (from non-neurologists) and nursing care was excellent but sadly the hospital's visiting neurologists prevented a potentially serious condition from being properly investigated. In fairness, my husband receives excellent outpatient care for respiratory complications of his condition and was very well cared for during an earlier admission in March 2015 for severe urine and chest infections. On both occasions, he received superb rehabilitation care from Ross Community Hospital. The Trust does not have its own neurology service and this is the second time that a "visiting" neurologist has failed my husband. I thought long and hard about submitting this review but feel that others in the area with neurological conditions that may result in hospital admission should be aware.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 04 February 2016

Wye Valley NHS Trust replied on 19 February 2016

On behalf of Wye Valley NHS Trust I wish to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I will be passing on your valuable comments to the relevant departments. I shall also pass on your compliments regarding the excellent care recieved in respiratory medicine and Ross Community Hospital. If you would like to contact the PALS Department to discuss your feedback please do so on 01432 372986.