Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

0161 276 1234 Trust Headquarters, Cobbett House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road , Manchester, M13 9WL

Ganesh gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

I attended the A&E Department at the infirmary on Thursday 6th April 2017 after having fallen down and suffered a dee cut on my forehead. I reached there just softer 6 PM. The Dept was very busy but I was seen by the triage nurse within 10 minutes of arrival. The triage nurse informed me that there was a 2 hr wait to see the doctor. Very kindly provided a packet of sandwiches each for me and my friend as we were feeling hungry.
I was seen by the doctor at 9 PM. The doctor was very friendly, kind and caring. The doctor was meticulous in their examination and in suturing my wound.
I cannot praise too highly all the staff for their care and attention. Please convey my heartfelt thanks to the staff particularly to the doctor. You all held up the best traditions of our NHS

Dr S Ganesh. ( retired GP)
Merthyr Tydfil. South Wales

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback about your experience at the Manchester Royal Infirmary via the NHS Choices website. We were very pleased to read that you were seen in a timely manner and that you found our staff to be kind and caring. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work and dedication of our staff. We aim to provide a high standard of care and treatment to all of our patients, and we were pleased that we achieved this during your visit. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Operational Manager of the Accident and Emergency Department so that it can be shared with the wider team.

The Patient Experience Team

mary hughes gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Smoking on NHS premises

I attended Altrincham General Hospital this morning for a blood test, cannot fault the staff and procedure. However, when I left I found a group of people smoking outside the main doors to the hospital, I was tempted to voice my anger to them but walked on. The steps where full of cigarette ends, the image has stayed with me the rest of the day and feel now that I need to say how awful and disrespectful it looked.
I have attended the Eye hospital at MRI many times recently, notices are in place outside the hospitals reminding public and staff that smoking is not allowed on hospital premises and it is respected.
Please, can something be done about this ?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 March 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn of your resent experience when visiting our Altrincham General Hospital. It is important to us that comments are heard and seen as an opportunity provided to the service to make changes and improvements wherever possible.

When the new hospital was built, ‘No Smoking’ signs were provided and placed in relevant areas of the hospital at which people congregate to smoke. Unfortunately the area you have described is public right of way and we are having great difficulty in moving people on from this area and asking them to refrain from smoking in this location.

Our security team do, on a regular basis, ask people to move on and to not smoke there. Our staff who take great pride in their hospital and try and keep this area clean and will sweep the outside in the morning and afternoon and also ask people to not smoke in that area.

We are extremely sorry that your experience at Altrincham was affected by what you saw however I have instructed the security team to continue to monitor this area and to go out more frequently and ask anyone smoking to move on. I have also asked my domestic team to increase the frequency of cleaning for the external entrance area and I have issued further ‘No Smoking’ signs to be placed externally.

The Patient Experience Team.

Andrew K gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care & service from the MRI Endoscopy Unit

Visited MRI Endoscopy Unit 2nd floor on 17th January 2017. Easy to find due to previously sent map. Pleasant courteous receptionist. filled in form & waited. Seen very promptly (within 10 minutes of appointment time). Taken through to Bowel Cancer Screening section. All procedures explained very professionally. Taken through to Endoscopy room. Procedure explained very professionally by nurses & Endoscopist. Procedure carried out with great care & attention. Taken back to reception. Results & advice given very professionally. Many thanks to receptionist, nurses and the consultant.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Amy McCawley, Patient Experience Team, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the NHS Choices website. We were pleased to read that you had a positive experience at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. We were especially pleased that you were seen in a timely manner and that you found our staff to be courteous and professional. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work of our staff as we aim to provide all of our patients with a high standard of care. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Lead Nurse of the Bowel Screening Program, the Manager of the Endoscopy Unit and the Lead Consultant of Gastroenterology so that it can be shared with all of the teams who were involved in your care.

Patient Opinion Logo

lynn gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding dental treatment with my Autistic son

I can not praise the dental team enough at Manchester Royal Infirmary Dental Sedation Suite! The team were absolutely amazing with my Autistic son who had to have a procedure of four teeth being extracted. The team were so patient and understanding of my son, they accommodated to all his wishes and needs which helped a lot with his anxiety on the day. I honestly can't thank them enough! Thank you to the whole Team!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post you kind comment on the NHS Choices website. We were pleased to read that you and your son had a positive experience at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. We were especially pleased that you found our staff to be patient and understanding and that we were able to meet your son's needs to ease his anxiety. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work and dedication of our staff. Providing care which reflects our values of equality and diversity is a priority for the Trust. As a Trust we are always working hard to ensure that our service is of a high standard and that our patients with specific needs are provided appropriate care and treatment which is right for them. We are very pleased that we have achieved this for your son. We will pass your feedback on to the Matron of the University Dental Hospital of Manchester so that it can be shared with the Wider team.

The Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Not nice experience

I checked in at A & E 12.40 midnight and came out 8.35 in the morning! After 8 long hours I came home with an advice to and see GP. Staff ware not helpful and day shift reception staff were rude. Can't say anything nice this time. Not recommended to anyone

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 December 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 December 2016

Mrs Catherine Bartlett, Lead Nurse for Urgent Care at the MRI is sorry to read your comments regarding your attendance to the Manchester Royal Infirmary Emergency Department (ED) and that your experience was not as positive as she would have expected. It is important to us that comments are heard and are seen as an opportunity provided to the service to make changes and improvements wherever possible.

Lead Nurse Bartlett notes that it is very difficult to respond to the specific concerns you have raised due to the anonymity of the posts on NHS choices. We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously and would very much like to hear from you directly about your experience when you visited the Emergency Department. This would also enable us to identify the specific staff you are referring to. If you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk quoting reference number PO16/0298, they will be able to discuss this with you.

Lead Nurse Bartlett has explained that whilst the department strives to meet the 4-hour Department of Health quality indicator time for all patients, the key priority for all staff is to ensure the safe and effective care of patients. During times of increased demand on urgent care services, and limited availability of beds throughout the hospital, this can cause delays for patients. Lead Nurse Bartlett is sorry that as a result of department pressures you experienced a long wait. The function of the ED is to provide emergency care to patients who may need urgent review due to a critical condition. The ED is often a gateway for patients to be admitted to the hospital for specialised care which requires them to be an inpatient to receive treatment. Unfortunately there are only a limited number of inpatient beds and therefore if the treatment patients require can be provided via their GP, or on an outpatient basis, the ED team will sign post patients to these services or make the necessary referrals. Lead Nurse Bartlett is sorry that this information was not provided to you during you attendance to the MRI ED and this has subsequently left you disappointed with the service that you received.

In response to your feedback regarding the staff behaviour, Lead Nurse Bartlett would like to apologise on behalf of the department for the unhelpful and rude behaviour that you report. This is not the standard of behaviour she would expect. We would expect all staff in the ED to be aware of the importance of good communication, good standards of care and to strive to deliver care that is considerate to the needs of patients. All staff within the department attend 'Customer Service Training' as part of their continual development. Within the Trust we also provide dedicated training sessions for staff in all areas and all disciplines in relation to the Values and Behaviours that the Trust expects staff to demonstrate in each and every interaction with patients. Lead Nurse Bartlett has confirmed that all ED staff have undertaken this training, and apologises that you experienced rude and unprofessional behaviour.

Lead Nurse Bartlett will share your comments with the staff in the department to ensure they are aware of the impact of their behaviour.

The Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy team

I can't overestimate how professional the Colonoscopy team were in dealing with my procedure. They were kind, courteous and explained everything so clearly. What was an invasive procedure, resonant with apprehension was made much more comfortable. A profound thanks to the receptionists, nurses and doctor who were involved.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 30 October 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on the NHS Choices webpage regarding the positive communication and courtesy shown to you by all members of the Colonoscopy Department. We will ensure your comments are shared with the Divisional Manager and the clinical team involved.

M Jane Small reviewed Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Poor care at the ManchestervDiabetes Centre

Another poor patient journey. Needed support but can't see the nurse for nearly 3 months. No drop in clinnic - what is the point?

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

JAN ANDREW gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

ICU

i and my family cannot thank the staff on icu for the care and medical treatment my mother received whilst in your care . The staff were professional, caring and compassionate .The communication skills were outstanding . Thank you.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 06 August 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment complimenting the staff on the Intensive Care Unit at Manchester Royal Infirmary. We were pleased to read that you found our staff to be professional and compassionate. We aim to provide our patients with a high standard of care and we were happy that the care of our staff helped during what must have been a difficult time. Its is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work and dedication of our staff. We were also very pleased that you felt informed and that the communication skills of our staff contributed to a positive experience. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Lead Nurse of the Intensive Care Unit so that it can be shared with the wider team.

The Patient Experience Team.

Sarah gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency department

Fantastic care today for my 90 year old
Mother.
My mum has dementia- every member of the staff treated her with dignity and respect- fantastic care delivered with warmth and care- and all on a bank holiday. Well done

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 02 May 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comment on the NHS Choices Website. We were pleased to read that your mother was treated with respect and dignity whilst visiting the Accident and Emergency Department at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Maintaing the Dignity of all patients is of the utmost importance to the Trust. We were especially pleased that you felt that your mother was provided with a good level of care and that our staff contributed to a positive experience for you both. We will pass your feedback on the the Operational Manager of the Accident and Emergency Department so that it can be shared with the wider staff.

Intensive Care Unit MRI

My father had a heart attack and spent 11 days in ICU. He eventually passed away. I cannot speak highly enough about the care he received. All staff were compassionate and did everything they could to care for my dad and to make things as good as they could be in the circumstances for us. From the receptionists, through to the nurses and doctors, all the staff are a credit to the MRI and the NHS. Their dedication, hard work and above all communication skills made life a lot easy for my family at this traumatic time.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 July 2016

Thank you taking the time to post your kind comment on the NHS Choices website, we apologise for the delay in providing our response, unfortunately we did not receive notification of your posting. We were sorry to read that your father has passed away, but we were glad to know that you had a positive experience with Intensive Care Unit Team at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. We understand that this must have been a very difficult time for you and your family and we were very pleased to read that the compassion and dedication of our staff contributed to a good standard of care for your father. We will pass your feedback on to the Lead Nurse of the Intensive Care Unit so that it can be shared with the wider team.