Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

parking farse

My lovely old dad had an appointment booked for 10.30 on Thursday 7th January and with him having asthma and also having a heart condition along with the weather being so bad we decided the best option would be for me to take him in the car We arrived in plenty of time [9.55] and we proceeded to find a parking space, after 15 minuets of driving round and round the campus I still could not find a space so I dropped Dad at the door of the urology department. I then drove round for a further 45 minuets and was still unable to find a space , I had to leave the car on the side of the road and run up to the reception at the urology department and ask them to call me on my mobile when my dad was free to go and I would continue just driving around until then instead of being at my Das side and supporting him..
As far as I can see care should begin as soon as you make an appointment for someone, you should know how many staff , patient and visitor places are needed , your the ones with the computers filled with how many staff are working how many out patent appointments you have and who's been admitted into hospital. You would think in this day and age you could come up with a better way of planning . The nursing staff and doctors at the city hospital have never been anything other than fantastic but are constantly let down by so called managers who get paid a considerable amount of money and do a very poor job.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 07 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 January 2016

I’m so sorry to hear about the parking problems you had at our City Hospital. While I appreciate this will come as little consolation, we are making changes that will improve this situation that we know is the source of much frustration to our patients and their families. This includes a full review of staff permits and strengthened enforcement. Regrettably sometimes our patient car parks can get full, especially at busy times of the day for visiting and clinics, which means it may be necessary to use another car park from time to time. Our free Medilink shuttle bus runs every 10 minutes around the City Hospital site, which may be of some use if you have had to park further away from your destination. You can find more information about getting to City Hospital by car, and about the Medilink, on our website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk/getting-here/city-hospital/.
David Preece,
Estates & Facilities

Terry Alvey gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Anotherb excellent experience

I went to Urology on Monday for my 3 month review following a TURP. It was discovered that I was still retaining urine and my Consultant talked me through the action to be taken. They were very helpful as was the Nurse who spent a long time with my wife and I, I experienced problems the following day but one call to the Urology Centre calmed ne down and I was asked to come in today where I saw a Nurse who gave me a great deal of time and help.
The care I have received has been excellent and I wish to express my sincere gratitude.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 15 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you. It’s good to hear you felt well-informed and supported by the consultant and nurses who were looking after you. I’ve shared your feedback with my colleagues in Urology, who asked me to pass on their appreciation.

My best wishes to you,
Richard Parkinson
Head of Service, Urology

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

wenesday 13th, january 2016

I was very worried on the idea of an endoscopy on this day and when I entered the room faced by 3 smiling nurses I was at ease straight away I was put down for sedation but trusted the 3 nurses completely . thankyou to the team. C.Bales

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

Great to hear you felt safe in our care. I have passed on your kind words to the team.

Best wishes,
Jean Barker
Matron, Endoscopy

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful staff

I recently attended the surgical short stay at City Hospital to assist my elderly mother. What a positive experience. The nursing staff were very attentive. Professional, thorough and friendly. The surgeon also checked details with my mum and gave reassurance. Our waiting room was clean, comfortable and had all the facilities we needed. We met theatre assistants, cleaning staff and porters, all were cheerful and friendly. Thank you to all of you for making the day easy for my mum.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 26 January 2016

Really good to hear - I hope your mum is recovering well and I’m pleased to hear we made her day that little bit easier.

June Vango.
Ward Manager, Surgical Short Stay Unit.

Jonathan Smith gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Care - Thank you NHS

My mother has recently returned home after having a Stroke 3 weeks ago.

From the ambulance drivers though to the nurses the care has been truly incredible.

I would like to thank all on Berman 1, Seacole and Neman wards, the care my mother received was second to none. The nurses showed compassion and care, from start to finish even with two nurses assisting my mother and farther to their car on discharge.

A big thank you form all off my mums family and friends.

Long Live the NHS!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 30 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 01 February 2016

Thanks for writing - we're glad to hear your mum is now home. We hope she's recovering well. Your feedback about the nurses on Berman 1, Seacole and Newell wards is greatly appreciated and has been shared with each of these wards.
Our best wishes to you and your family and friends.

Miss Molly13 reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Long wait for results from City hospital

Following a lumbar spine X-ray I have now been told I will wait eight weeks for a result due to a new computer system. This was not communicated prior to the X-ray. I was not told at any point of the wait. I was told in fact it would be seven days. After waiting seven days and subsequently chasing the X Ray I am now told that X-rays taken on the 8th of December now being looking at. It is now February! ! I sincerely hope the CQC are reading this as this is inadequate.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 02 February 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 04 February 2016

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear that we did not clearly communicate the next steps after your x-ray and for the long wait for your results. Please can you kindly contact me directly and I will look into this further for you so that we can each understand the cause of the delay. You can call me 0115 9249924 ext. 61767 or email laura.griffiths2@nuh.nhs.uk.

Laura Griffiths.
Divisional Nurse, Surgery Division.

Anthony Howard gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Lovely hospital

I've been attending the city campus uroligy for the past 5 yrs under various consultans
All have excelled in care for my condition
Sadly of late it's has developed into cancer of which I'm being treated

Going through the system is frightening at the best of times
The nurses and staff related to my treatment are caring chatty helpful and informative

The hospital is a little daunting at first
Car parking can be an issue but when you know your way round theirs plenty

I live nearer a different hospital and on a public transport route I could go there but chose the city campus because of its long long reputation of care

Please think carfully when writing reviews mostly we are under stress when doing hospital visits and sometimes the care or treatment doesn't always go the way we want
On reading other reviews some positive some negative it's the medical care and treatment that matters not the so called car park issues I'd sooner get the correct treatment

Well done City campus

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 18 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 January 2016

Thanks for your message. We understand that patients’ very first contact with NUH through to their discharge impacts on their overall experience of our hospitals. This includes car parking, our switchboard and Medilink bus drivers, as well as the clinical care we deliver, to give just a few examples. Each of these contacts with patients is important. We recognise that parking is difficult and a source of frustration for everyone at both QMC and City at our busiest times of the day. We recently completed a full car parking permit review for staff and we are encouraging more people to use the tram and public transport to get to our hospitals wherever possible. We are optimistic that these new permits (which come into force 1 February 2016) will make a difference and reduce the pressure on our car parks. Our Urology Team ask me to pass on their thanks for sharing your feedback about their service.

Lesley Reilly
Divisional Nurse, Cancer and Associated Specialties.

Teresa garoscio gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Hip operation

I'm writing this review because I have been so impressed by the care and attention I received when I came into the city hospital .
Starting from seeing the consultant who explained every thing to me about the operation .
The pre op staff the theatre staff and the nurses on ward .
The staff on the ward were amazing and without them my recovery would have been much longer a big thankyou to every one on Harvey 1 .
Teresa garoscio

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 09 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 January 2016

Hi Teresa. Good to hear from you. We appreciate your feedback and have passed on your kind words to the team on Harvey 1.
I hope you are recovering well after your operation.

Best wishes to you,
Laura Griffiths,
Interim Divisional Nurse, Surgery

Uzma gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Terrible terrible patient empathy

I am a cancer patient having to nurse a distraught sister facing losing her kidney. Her urologist has seen her only twice with one of the occasion having paid privately. She was told to wait because "that's what the NHS is about". Unwillingly paying for a CT scan privately for this urologist, due to her despair of agonising pain, dramatic weight loss and weeks of not physically sleeping- we arranged all the possible tests the consultant requested. After all of this the consultant doesn't review her results , doesn't arrange to see her and upon her calling to ask if they can just spare 2 minutes to talk to her even on the phone, consistently ignores this and has made no attempt to contact us.
The situation is being told to wait and that she is not a priority and that this is NHS has resulted an otherwise fit healthy 30 yr old young girl losing a vital organ! she now bed ridden and feels suicidal; the only thing we can do is ring an ambulance if she becomes unconscious.
No patient empathy , no patient management, no treatment plan, no compassion from the urologist or their staff
I am being left to watch my sister deteriorate as the hospital simply have nothing to say but "we'll leave a message for your consultant if possible but we can't help you "
Is this the NHS -employers of consultants who be little patients and are not shy of displaying their arrogance that the patients life is in their hands ! I ask why ? Is this fair ? This is bullying.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 13 January 2016

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 January 2016

Your letter is most concerning. If your sister would like us to look into this further, can you please ask that she contacts me directly on 0115 9691169 ext. 53126 or Julian.skoyles@nuh.nhs.uk. We require appropriate consent from patients to look into concerns about their individual care.

Julian Skoyles,
Divisional Director, Cancer and Associated Specialties

Cathy Havard gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Short Stay and Cath Lab

My 16yr old son had cardiac catheter ablation yesterday, I cannot praise Nottingham City staff and it's services enough!
We also stayed at the Hospital Hotel the night before which was so convenient.
5 BIG stars and forever grateful to you all.
Thank you.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 10 December 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 December 2015

This is great to hear, thank you. I’ve shared your kind words with the cardiac short stay team.

It’s good to hear you and your son had a pleasant stay at our Hospital Hotel. This is a great facility for patients and visitors and more information about it is available here: www.nuh.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/hospital-hotel/.

Best wishes to you both,
Caroline Sheppard,