Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Jatlin reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Poor communication and accessibility

My husband had a appointment today at the City Hospital. When we arrived, we were informed that clinic 7 was closed for repairs to the roof and we were re-directed to Clinic 1. It seems we should have received a letter or a phone call, which we hadn't.
I am disabled and find it difficult to walk any reasonable distance so accompanying my husband was going to be difficult in any case, but then to find we had to get to another department was a real problem. By sheer luck, a relative had taken us on this occasion, instead of a taxi as was originally planned, so we were able to contact her by mobile phone and she came to our rescue. I really don't know what we would have done if a taxi had dropped us and left.
All this was bad enough but the most annoying thing was yet to come.
When we arrived home, we found TWO IDENTICAL LETTERS in TWO envelopes informing my husband of the change of clinic etc, had been delivered. They were both posted by 2nd class mail just two days earlier. How on earth did the admin. department think we would receive the information in time? Why didn't they telephone instead? And why duplicate the letter, wasting time, paper and postage costs?
I am sorry to have a rant about this as my husband receives very good care from the medical staff, but we are made constantly aware of the lack of resources for the NHS and this type of admin. error makes me very cross.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 03 March 2017

Thank you for getting in touch. I completely understand your frustration, and share this. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused and that you received the letter informing you about the change of clinic location after the event. I would like to be able to pass this feedback on to the relevant service to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. Would you be able to contact me directly with some more information so I might be able to share this with the right staff and department? If you’d like to do so, you can contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 66623 or you can email QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Sarah Kennedy.

Patient Experience Officer.

Anonymous gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Lovely staff

I had to attend this hospital for an x ray this morning. I just had to say how helpful, cheerful and attentive all the staff I came into contact with were. Especially the receptionist and the person showing you to the relevant x ray room. This makes such a difference.Not too long a wait either. Thank you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you. I’m pleased you found all staff so helpful and you were seen quickly. Enjoy the remainder of your day.

Nicola Kennedy,

Head of Service, Radiology.

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to staff at The Breast Institute

I attended the breast clinic today and was very impressed with the excellent service and caring empathy expressed by the staff. Thank you for making a stressful situation a lot easier. I cannot fault anything. Many thanks!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 06 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 07 March 2017

What lovely feedback. Thank you. I’m pleased we were able to make things a little easier for you. I have shared your comments with the team.

Warm regards,
Hannah Belsham.
Breast Institute Manager.

Pokeyholepete gave Plastic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellency

My wife was on Gillies Ward for a couple of days after her operation. Everyone was so nice and caring and always went that extra mile for her. She is still visiting for dressing changes etc and we now look forward to the 60 mile round trip. Well done Gillies Ward.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 12 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you so much. I have shared your kind comments with the Gillies Ward team.

Sending best wishes to you and your wife,

Jo Gough.
Ward Manager, Gillies Ward.

SJP Notts reviewed Surgery - Breast at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Treatment for Breast Cancer

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer late December 2016. I had a mastectomy on 23/1 at City and have just started chemotherapy (6 rounds). The 1st round was on 6/3.

I just want to say how very impressed I am with the treatment I've received so far. Everything has been very efficient from the paperwork sent relating to my diagnosis, my pathology report and appointment times. I feel also that I have been treated very well and with respect and compassion during which has been a difficult time.

My breast care nurse has been very supportive and has always been on hand (where possible) to answer any queries I have and has always reassured me. I was also impressed with my surgeon and also the nurses after my operation (sorry, I don't know everyone's names). The chemotherapy nurses have impressed me so far as well. I was put at ease at my first treatment on the 6th as I was very anxious and upset. I actually managed a few smiles and jokes!

I can't say how much the efficiency of the City and everything so far has helped me deal with the diagnosis.

I think the NHS received a lot of unfair Criticism so I wanted to make sure I say thank you.

Keep up the good work!
Sarah Prior

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 March 2017

Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for taking the time, midst I am sure the many other demands on your time, to share such a detailed account of your experience in our care. I’m pleased to read you’re so pleased with your care, especially as this must have been a difficult and frightening time for you and your family. I’ve shared your kind words with our staff.

Thank again for taking time to get in touch.

Maria Duffin-Mills.
Matron, Urology, Burns, Breast and Plastics

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent respiratory care

I have been under the care of the respiratory team for several years. I have great respect for the staff who have helped me to learn to manage and live with a long term condition.

There have been many changes in health service delivery, some improvements and some which are not of direct benefit to patients.

I really miss the co-ordinated approach of MDT working. I now attend the respiratory clinic and only see the consultant. It would be more cost effective to have a joint clinic with access to the specialist respiratory nurses. There role has over the years been invaluable in providing practical assistance and psychological support. Many newly diagnosed patients who need extra support I feel could miss out as the nurses are simply not available in clinics.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2017

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and the care you have received. I’ve shared this with the Respiratory Matron, who will share the feedback with staff when she returns to the Trust this week.
I have noted your comments regarding changes to the service, which you do not feel are always beneficial to patients. If there is anything in particular you would like to speak about in more detail, please do get in touch with us. You can contact the Patient Experience Team directly on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or email QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk and we can address your concerns for you.

Sarah Kennedy.
Patient Experience Officer.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

My nurse was fabulous, thank you

I attended day case for breast reconstruction. I want to pass on my thanks to the nurse who looked after me incredibly well throughout my stay. I actually felt like the nurse was my friend as well as my nurse. The level of care the nurse gave was excellent.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 22 March 2017

This is lovely feedback, thank you. We’d like to be able to share it directly with the nurse who cared for you. If you’d like to, you can contact our patient experience team with more details of your stay so they can make sure the feedback is passed on. They can be contacted on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Maria Duffin-Mills.
Matron, Urology, Burns, Breast and Plastics

Robin gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Bone scan

I have recently had elevated PSA figures that prompted my consultant to order a full bone scan in the Nuclear Medicine department. I had a couple of anxieties having frequency issues and recently fell down stairs making lying on my back painful. After mentioning these concerns everyone involved (reception and the technicians) did everything they could to alleviate these concerns. They allowed me to try out the bed on the scanner and arranged for another pillow. They checked after each part of the scan to see if I was ok. Could not have been better looked after. After the scan I was asked to wait to see if I needed a further CT scan. I did but again they allowed me to use the loo before the 20min scan. Very pleased with how they responded to my concerns. Excellent service.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

matt ash gave Genito-Urinary Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

sexual health clinic

I would just like to say that today I visited the city hospital for a sti check as I have been asked to be a sperm donor and I want to say how amazing and fabulous the nurse that treated me was. I think it's ludicrous that I cant mention the persons name but you know who you are! you made me smile and left me at complete ease! ;-) you are a wonderful happy person and you made me laugh in what was otherwise a really bad day so thank you so much!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

I was visiting my relative a patient on loxley ward one day last week I had...

I was visiting my relative a patient on loxley ward one day last week I had visited a few times during the week she was in and I began to notice a few things on the ward regarding the staff. I found a particular receptionist very rude in the way they spoke to other members of staff and also patients on the ward. The service my relative received on the ward was very good I can't deny that everyone took excellent care of her including all the staff even the catering people were exceptional but I would just like to raise my concerns as I don't think that some staff are treated like they should be and are put down because of others putting them down.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 March 2017

Hi Jack. Thank you for getting in touch. I’m concerned to read your comments regarding the poor attitudes and behaviours of a team member.

I’d welcome the chance to discuss this in more detail with you so I can ensure individual colleagues, where necessary, learn from your experience the importance of effective and positive communication. If you’d like to discuss this in more detail, you can contact me directly on 0115 9691169 ext. 55161.

I acknowledge your kind comments regarding the rest of your relative’s care on the ward. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Debbie Raffle.