Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication and timing

I was referred to QMC with suspected pneumonia. On arrival, details were taken and my wife and I were told to take a seat. After a short period we were informed that I would be sent to the pulmonary unit at the City Hospital. Some 7 hours later after several requests for information I was informed that a bed would be available but I had to wait until it was ready. About 20mins later an ambulance arrived and took me to City Hospital. They knew nothing about my being sent there and said they had no beds. Eventually I was found a bed in a side clinic where I spent the night.
The following day I was moved to a side ward and seen by consultant. They said the plan would be: antibiotics, blood tests, a chest X-ray and a CT scan with a view to discharge 2 days later. I was treated with intravenous antibiotics but neither the X-ray nor CT scan were carried out. My wife and daughter asked when they would happen and told 'he is on the system'. The day after, during visiting time, I was taken to X-ray for a chest X-ray - no CT Scan. A junior doctor later told me that the pneumonia had spread to both lungs. This was the day after the planned discharge date - no one knew what was happening - it was the weekend and Bank Holiday and was told there were no consultants on duty except one 'on call' for emergencies. I was not seen again until the following Tuesday. The consultant told me that they suspected inflammatory lung problem and a CT scan would be needed - no apology for this not happening 4 days before.
I was then discharged saying that I would be asked to attend for a CT scan and then visit the consultant a month later - no diagnosis having been made.
Whilst the nurses were very good, the organisation was appalling - no one had any knowledge of what was happening. I was promised things which did not happen and I spent a week in hospital and discharged feeling just as bad as when I was admitted.
this really is not good enough.
My GP is of the opinion that the CT scan is pivotal. This must take place ASAP. I need to know what is happening and start appropriate treatment.
this has really knocked my faith in the NHS into touch. I feel that nobody cares - that I'm a number on a chart rather than a patient who needs treatment. How can one trust an organisation which makes empty promises and doesn't even apologise. It appears to be a case of 'Oh dear what chapter of accidents - tough luck!'
Dr Alan Brewerton

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 07 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 May 2015

Dear Dr Brewerton. We are deeply concerned to read the account of your recent experience in our care. We are sorry for our poor communication that appear to have occurred on so many levels. We would like to speak to you so that we can get some further information to better understand what happened on this occasion so that we can provide answers to you and where necessary, make improvements. If you would like to contact us you can do so by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or emailing alun.harcombe@nuh.nhs.uk

Alun Harcombe.
Cardiology Consultant

Adam gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Wasn't listened too and treated badly

I was refereed by my GP to see a cardiologist because I had been experiencing palpitations, chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms and some kind of twitching in my attires mainly in my neck.

I am only 21 years old and have been having these problems for about a year now and have had numerous tests which have all come back normal such as ECG's, Holter Monitors etc however my symptoms have continued to worsen and I now fear death or at least a very horrible life.

My experience at the hospital was all good until I went in to see the cardiologist. They wouldn't let me finish sentences and simply didn't listen to what I had to say or take me seriously. I was trying to explain my symptoms and the doctor wouldn't allow me to do so, simply stating that all I should be talking about is palpitations and chest pain.

I feel its unreasonable that I wasn't allowed to explain my symptoms such as the suspected twitches in my arteries that I get which I have no idea what they are and variety of other things such as tingling throughout my body, irregular heart beats etc.

The doctor suggested I should get a Holter Monitor but I have already had one of these and it detected nothing so I feel it would be a waste of time.

Overall the doctor did not seem like a very nice person and didn't to appear to really care about their patients at all, I assume the doctor treated me like dirt because of my age. Just lacked any form of professionalism, I wanted to suggest that I have a cardiac stress test and a potential ultrasound of my Carotid Arteries.

I understand it's very rare for someone of my age to have this type of problem but it isn't impossible and the doctor was acting like it was.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 May 2015

I am grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch. I am deeply disappointed to hear that your consultation has left you feeling so unhappy and concerned to read your comments about the poor behaviours you experienced. It would be helpful to speak to you so that we can speak to the individual concerned about your experience. Please do contact me on 0115 9691169 extension 56247 to discuss further.

Dr Alun Harcombe,
Clinical Director, Cardio-Respiratory and Stroke Directorate

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Wouldn't recommend the maternity services to any new mum.

My experience tended to be one of the wards being short staffed so i was told on several occasions on one ward, the labour suite was full due to over demand, labour suite closed following this, some rude staff (one which openly complained about other wards her father had been on in front of a bay of patients), I was not involved in many decisions and I was ignored when I requested some things such as delayed cord cutting, I had lots of delays in treatment despite being scared after being told i needed to be induced as soon as possible due to possible risks, originally given no support in being shown breast feeding, never shown baby bathing etc which antenatal/postnatal book suggested i should have been, i was discharged ill and had to be readmitted later that day which i was thankful for so i could be shown how to do some things with my newborn, which giving credit where credit is due they did this well on readmission. My daughter is thankfully okay but my experience of this hospital is not a good one and if it wasnt for the safety of my unborn child, i would have discharged myself on several occasions. I must mention there were some good staff who went above and beyond their duty, but these were few and far between.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 May 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 05 May 2015

We are both sorry and disappointed to hear that your experience in our care wasn’t a good one. The behaviours you have described and lack of support you were offered are not what we expect of our staff. We are pleased to hear your daughter is now doing well. However, we would like to look into your concerns further so that we can investigate what went wrong on this occasion. If you do wish to discuss it further, please do contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext. 62859 or 0115 9691169 ext. 58030. Alternatively, you can email me at julia.gudgeon@nuh.nhs.uk and I will contact you if you leave your phone number.

Julia Gudgeon
Maternity Matron
Obstetrics and Gynaecology

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

requested to be seen by female got male .

I have just had a cystoscopy at City, I was very very scared and due to having had difficult life experiences, I phoned and asked that the procedure was carried out by a female. The nurses I spoke to were lovely, very very kind and reassuring. I felt that they totally understood and acknowledged the reasons for my request. I was told that there was going to be a male on duty the day of my appointment but that a female would carry out the procedure for me.I felt much less anxious about going to the appointment knowing that I would not have to be examined by a male. When I got there this was not the case at all. A nurse did speak to me they were very kind and told me they were tracking down a female doctor and I was very relieved as I was shaking with fear and crying by this time. They went away and I never saw them again. then I was called into the clinic room by the male nurse. I was very distressed by now and told him and the two other staff present about the reasons for my wanting a female to carry out the procedure giving them my history. I did not feel they understood how upset I was , they said I could come back on another day when there would be a woman on duty but I could not face going away and then getting all wound up again so I went ahead with the test. The test itself was fine but I found it highly upsetting to have my genitalia touched by a man, they literally spread your labia with their fingers to clean you and then spread them again prior to inserting the device. As a survivor of sexual trauma I found this horrible and upsetting. I had explained all this on the phone and as I said they were very kind and supportive. Two hours after my appointment I went shopping and I had flashbacks of the assault I suffered, I could not breathe, I was back in that horrible moment which I had not thought about for years. I fully appreciate that many women are fine being examined by a male but I am not for what I feel are very valid reasons. .

On a separate point I was also told that a local anesthetic is always used and gel was put on my urethra which I assumed was an anesthetic.It was in fact lubricant. The device was inserted immediately and I asked ii f they were not going to wait for the anesthetic to take effect. I was told that they never use anesthetic and it hurt me because I currently have a sore urethra due to a having thrush. I was not asked about any medication I was on despite the appointment letter requesting that I write it all down. As I am on quite a lot of medication I did this thinking it was necessary but it is not.

All the staff were polite and professional and acted very quickly when a male patient strayed into the female only waiting area,

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 29 April 2015

I am deeply concerned to read about your experience and would like to apologise for the way you felt while in our care. Unfortunately it isn’t always possible to find female members of staff immediately when patients require treatment. We were unaware of this sensitive issue until your arrival. The male nurse who carried out the procedure discussed the different treatment options with you, including rescheduling your procedure, waiting longer for a female clinician to arrive or having the procedure done in theatre under general anaesthetic. We understand the deep distress this caused you. Please contact 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email Andrea.smith2@nuh.nhs.uk if you wish to discuss further.

Andrea Smith, Sister for Urology Outpatients.

cadgaboo gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

does anyone answer a ringing phone?

I appreciate that this is a very busy hospital but does anyone answer the phone in this hospital?

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 30 April 2015

Hello cadgaboo. Thank you for the feedback. We understand how frustrating it is when nobody answers the phone or indeed it takes too long to get an answer. In order to pass this feedback on to the right team it would be helpful to know who or where you were trying to contact (ie: our switchboard or a specific ward/department, such as stroke as the title of your comment reads). If you would like to let us know you can get in touch at 0115 9249924 ext. 67184 or email sarah.kennedy@nuh.nhs.uk.

In the meantime, you may find this list of ward extension numbers for both sites helpful:

Rachel gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing new sanctuary room birthing experience!!

I gave birth at City hospital in 2012 and recieved excellent care back then so decided to have my 2nd baby here in April 2015.

When I got there I was shown to one of 4 new birthing rooms in the "Sanctuary" . I didn't know nothing about it prior to getting to hospital, I think they opened in Jan 2015.

Wow what can I say... My birthing experience was amazing. The rooms have been decorated lovely, with dim lighting and candle style lights, a birthing pool, a radio/cd player, beanbags, birthing balls/stools etc. Lots of thought has gone into the rooms and they really are an asset to city hospital. I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to have a natural birthing experience.

All of the midwifes I came into contact with during my stay were fantastic. I could not fault them and to be fair on the night I gave birth, labour ward had closed and they were sending people to queens so they were rushed off there feet but that didn't effect the care I received in anyway.

Well done city maternity!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 April 2015

Hi Rachel. Firstly, many congratulations on the birth of your second baby. We hope you’re both doing well. Thank you for this wonderful feedback about our staff and your care and also our excellent new facilities in the Sanctuary Birthing Centre. We have shared your feedback with the team in Maternity - who will be pleased to know they helped make your experience a special one.

Anonymous gave at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham City hospital colposcopy

I just want to say how fantastic the staff were during my coloscopy yesterday at the city hospital women's unit.
In particular the nurse who chaperoned me during the procedure was great. Not only did they keep me informed about what was going on and kept me distracted with interesting conversations, they did so without patronising and in a very friendly and welcoming way. It is a very awkward situation to be in, even for someone who was not particularly nervous like I wasnt, but they made me feel as physically and emotionally comfortable as possible and I believe that for other patients they really must be a life saver.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2015

Thank you so much for this glowing feedback. We are proud of our staff who go the extra mile to ensure patients feel safe and well cared for. We’ll share your kind comments will be shared with the team involved in your care.

In light of the care you received you might wish to know that there are a few days left to vote for this year’s people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards. If you wish to nominate one of the team you can do so at www.nuh.nhs.uk. It takes just a few minutes.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

cardiac cryoablatio

Had ablation yesterday. All the staff were very professional and caring, the Consultant was excellent both assured snd reassuring. Couldnt fault anything.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your experience in our care. It’s great to know our staff helped you to feel cared for and safe and that you felt well-informed and reassured by the consultant who treated you.

Please do let us have the name of the consultant and we will ensure your message is passed on to this member of staff.

Disappointed Patient gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Treatment delay whilst staff watching eclipse!

Whilst accompanying my husband for appointment with Endoscopy 20/03/15 there were delays in treatment times. Five nursing staff/doctors stood outside the building to watch the partial eclipse for 25-45 minutes from 9am - 9.45am. Consequently appointment times were delayed. A nursing sister came to speak to all patients waiting for treatment to announce there were delays of 1 hour because of staffing shortages. Clearly the department was short of 5 members for that time stated above as they were not working. I took a photograph of the staff standing outside from inside Endoscopy foyer. This is evidential proof if needed. I did ask the receptionist if the nurse were 'on duty'. They eventually came inside and went back to work. I spoke with the 2 doctors directly outside to tell them I was disappointed they were not working and they did then come inside and went back to work.

Endoscopy Department is not in the department list for me to be able to highlight in the multi-choice box either! So I've had to tick 'Don't know'!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 25 March 2015

Thank you for getting in touch. We’re sorry for the delays you and your husband experienced when you came for your recent appointment.
Any colleagues who chose to watch the eclipse should have done so in dedicated and agreed break times. That doesn’t excuse, however, the delays you experienced.

However, after speaking to colleagues, I can confirm that the delays on the day were caused by unplanned staff nurse sickness and that all trained endoscopy staff were inside preparing rooms ready for the day.

Joanne Prest,
Sister, Endoscopy.

Old Man of Mow gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

More than satisfactory outcome of a short surgical visit

I underwent prostate surgery last week [with an overnight stay] and have just had my catheter removed in the day case unit.

The best experiences were the painless and stress-free surgery itself under spinal anaesthetic plus supplementary sedation, the efficient logistics [appointments, visits to clinics, pre-op assessment, ward transfer and readmission], and, of course, a successful outcome.

I would have welcomed more attentive post-op nursing care overnight as well as a quieter, calmer ward environment. I noticed that the more senior staff were sometimes pre-occupied with form-filling and report-writing, leaving less-experienced juniors to perform the rather delicate procedures. Some but not all staff established an appropriate personal relationship with me as a dependent and slightly anxious patient briefly passing through a busy ward with many more needy souls to attend to.

I needed to have paid more attention to the procedural information that was provided: staff might check that patients have actually received and understood the instructions and advice given, and encourage questions.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 April 2015

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. It’s great to hear that your treatment was successful, smooth and efficient. We’re disappointed, however, to read that the inconsistent behaviours of our staff impacted adversely on your overall experience in our care. It would be helpful to share your feedback with the ward manager so that this can be shared with staff and used to inform future improvements. Please do get in touch with us with the ward details by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 61784.