Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Anonymous reviewed Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

such kindness today

I had to take my husband to the Urology Department as an emergency referral today,1st June. I trapped my finger in my car door and nearly fainted in the car park when it was released. A member of staff, a nurse from the Neonatal department in the Maternity Unit, who was crossing the car park taking a colleague to another department looked after me, dressed my finger and insisted when they returned from their task on walking with me to the Urology department. They were kindness itself and it would be much appreciated if my thanks were passed on to them, they were an absolute credit to your hospital. I do hope this message reaches them.
Lynette Harris

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 05 June 2017

Thanks for sending in this lovely feedback Lynette. I will make sure this is shared directly with the nurse who looked after you.

I hope your finger is healing well.

Best wishes to you and your husband,

Barbara Linley.

Neonatal Matron, City Hospital.

Anonymous reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

My mum has received 3 letters all dated the same date but showing two different

My mum has received 3 letters all dated the same date but showing two different appointments. I've tried to ring the quoted number for appointment changes on the letter to query this. The number stated is 01159243392. How many letters have been sent out stating this number? This number is unavailable!
Why send out incorrect information? This might explain why some people do not attend appointments as they are unable to contact you without going on a fact finding mission in order to contact you.
I get annoyed at the number of missed appointments but the correct contact information could reduce this

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 05 June 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 June 2017

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m sorry you have been unable to get through on the number provided on your letter and for the inconvenience this has caused.
We will review our letters to ensure correct phone numbers are included.
Andrew Steggles
Patient Experience Officer

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy procedure 10 June 2017

I stayed overnight (I live and travel on my own). On arrival at Bramley Ward at 1500, there was no bed - understood, patients often have to be kept in. Eventually (after nearly 3 hours) they found a bed in Harvey 2 Ward and I volunteered to walk there - no problem, as I had stayed there many times before. That was quicker than waiting for a porter and I was wanting to commence my pre-procedure preparation (MovePrep), which should have started at 1500. The staff in that Ward are excellent. On arrival there the Ward staff commenced admission procedures, just in case, because they had not been advised and were not entirely sure what the Dept would need by way of information of and about me.

I am glad that the catering has been moved from Carillion; the catering staff are now much part of the team and have the patient care ethic.

Unfortunately the colonoscopy had to be abandoned after 30 minutes, but the very good Doctor kept me informed all the time. The nurse was also excellent, making sure that I was comfortable etc.

The only problem was the admin between the two Wards and then on the Saturday between the Dept and Ward. On Saturday, having been previously informed that Endoscopy Dept had their own porters quite understandably the Ward staff waited, as did I. However at 0800 (procedure booked for 0830) Harvey 2 Ward staff discovered that Endoscopy did not have porters at the weekend, so a porter was booked. Later whilst waiting for lunch, the Harvey 2 Ward staff realised that there was no discharge plan. So they checked with Endoscopy, who told them that I could go home immediately. None of this was a real problem to me but it could have been to others in different circumstances..

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 11 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 June 2017

Thanks for getting in touch. We always welcome feedback to help us to know where we do well, and the areas where there is room for improvement. I appreciate your kind comments about staff. However, it is clear there are things we need to do better, including better communication between wards and departments and with you. I will ensure this is fed back to all the relevant teams so we can learn from this experience and make improvements as necessary. If you would like to discuss this further please do get in touch with our patient experience team on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Best wishes,
Jean Barker.
Endoscopy Matron.

David Hunt gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Harvey 2 Ward

Several times I have tried to access the website noted on feedback cards, but have never succeeded but gave up. However today and belatedly I Googled the City Hospital website and linked through to here.

I have been in the Harvey 20 Ward many times, it seems, over the last 17 years and have just reported separately on yesterday's visit. There is good continuity of staff, which says much about its management. Indeed some are still there from my first visit in 2001 (urostomy), when I made three visits. Other visits have been for: renal dysfunction in 2015 (several visits) and yesterday for colonoscopy.

Despite being understaffed and having to deal with some quite unreasonable patients, they work together well and show great patience,friendliness and professionalism. Despite the reasons for my visits, it is always a pleasure to be there. It is very well organised and well-equipped.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 11 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 June 2017

Morning David. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. It’s been a pleasure looking after you. We appreciate your feedback.

I’m sorry the details on the feedback cards were incorrect. Would you be able to contact our patient experience team so they can get more details from you so we can look into this and ensure we are giving out the right information (and correct the cards if this is necessary)? They can be contacted on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk. This will ensure we get things right for future patients, learning from your experience.

Thanks again,
Fay Allen.
Ward Manger, Harvey 2.

JenJen reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Excellent support at Urology

Donna has supported me at all of my appointments with Mr Parkinson, consultant. She has been an absolute star. Always on hand with a friendly hug, a reassuring hand hold, a box of soft tissues, a cup of tea and biscuits when needed. She is an absolute credit to the Urology department. A huge thank you to her for all that she has done!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 10 June 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 June 2017

Thanks for your feedback. It’s great to know you’ve had the support you need from Donna. We will ensure this feedback is shared with her directly.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Maria Duffin-Mills.

Urology Matron.

John Shirt gave Infectious Diseases at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

OPAT

I was recently referred to OPAT from QMC and received 9 days treatment of intravenous antibiotics.

I wish to convey my sincere thanks to all the staff involved. They managed, despite the pressures of the job, to maintain a friendly, informal atmosphere which made the patients feel "at home" combined with very high professional standards of healthcare.

The staff provided a welcoming environment which made me feel that I was very much being treated as an individual rather than just another patient.

Please pass these comments to all staff on OPAT. This was an example of the NHS at its best, where the staff not only did their job efficiently but went beyond that to make hospital treatment as positive an experience as it could possibly be.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch. I’m pleased to hear we helped to put you at ease and met your individual needs. I have shared your feedback with the team, who send their very best wishes.

Warm regards,

Wendy Longley, Matron

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Lack of Chemotherapy information

I was given chemotherapy at City yesterday but was told virtually nothing about what it was for of the possible side or after effects. Fortunately I overheard the nurses and doctors discussing it and found this via Google

It was very helpful and I feel I should have been told or given this as a way of informing me or allaying certain fears.

Staff were otherwise wonderful.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 17 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 19 June 2017

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t receive any information about side effects before you left hospital. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you so we can discuss this in more detail. Should you want to, you can contact me directly on 0115 924 9924 ext: 56804.

Warm regards,

Annie Walton, Matron

Appreciative Grandchild reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Great experience on haematology ward

I took my grandma onto the ward for the first time. I knew that she was nervous about asking me to go with her but they very quickly made us feel very at ease. From the reception staff who recognised her and made a fuss to the nurses who did her treatment, everyone was very kind despite being obviously busy. In particular, Angela who did my grandmas treatment made me feel very welcome asking me questions about myself which I knew made my grandma feel more relaxed about me being there. Overall a wonderful team and a very positive experience, I am very grateful for all that they are doing for my grandma.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017 using Patient Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 26 June 2017

I’m grateful that you have taken the time to get in touch and pleased to hear we were able to put your grandma at ease during her recent stay. I’ve shared your words of thanks with the relevant team.

Sending our best wishes to you and your grandma,

Laura Mannering.

Haematology Ward Manager.

Terry R gave Cardiac services (community) at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Rehabilitation Unit

I attended the cardiac rehabilitation unit in Dundee House over a period of eight weeks, the last one being on May 31st. I would like to express my sincere thanks for the whole experience. Every single member of the staff was friendly, helpful and informative. It was a real pleasure to attend. From the first welcoming smile accompanied by a cup of tea to the end of the session when I was always checked to make sure that I was OK was a real pleasure. I learnt a great deal from the talks and definitely benefited from the time in the gymnasium. A wonderful experience of cardiac care by the hospital. Thank you so much for the friendliness and encouragement of all members of the staff. They are a wonderful team. Whilst writing may I also mention the friendliness of the staff in the City Side Restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed my Wednesday mornings.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 June 2017

Thanks Terry, I appreciate you taking time to get in touch with this lovely feedback. I’m pleased to hear you’ve had such a positive experience in our care. I’ve shared your comments with the team and with the staff at City Side Restaurant.

You might be interested to know that nominations have just opened for NUHonours 2017 (our annual staff awards). Considering your positive experience, you might be wish to make a nomination. Cardiac rehabilitation services fall under the Medicine Divisional Award. You can find out more via our website: https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/nuhonours

Thanks again for the feedback, you’ve made our day!

Best wishes,

Sandra Heffernan.

Cardiac rehabilitation services, NUH

Clint cooper gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Cancellation by management to meet targets!! No real reason!

So when the NHS cancelled operations at the last minute, after you have pepped you young children, psyched yourself up for major operations, got child care, have family down, your friends are psyched up and give you encouragement. You spend time making sure the dog is looked after. The child care goes home, the children are confused. On top of that work has to be great and say okay we will fit you in. They don't have to!!! Do the managers really know the impact on families? Would they dare do it in private health care? No manager, no politician knows this. Thank you NHS England!! Thank you for your care and meeting blairs targets! Thank you for your care in targets!! At least one would be honest and do not fob us off. My girl has waited over the time on waiting lists. As a charge nurse in the NHS and my girl a sister and between us over 45 years in the system. Do not cancel again. Have some compassion when we prep our 6 and 5 year old and make arrangements of care from over two hundred miles away and make financial arrangements. You need to make proper arrangements and know we are not stupid but work with management in our trust closely. Loosing time and thinking ahead is key. Cancelling because you have cancelled before is unacceptable, it has a knock on affect especially with our children and the nations health. Stop it!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 May 2017

I sincerely apologise that your daughter’s operation was cancelled last minute and for the distress and inconvenience this has clearly caused you and your family. I would like to look into your case to understand why the surgery didn’t proceed as planned. If you would wish me to, please contact me directly and I will look into after getting the appropriate information from you. My contact details are: 0115 924 9924 ext. 67744 or email gina.policelli@nuh.nhs.uk. I am not in the Trust now for the next few days but I will pick this up again on my return as a priority.

Gina Policelli