Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham City hospital colposcopy

I just want to say how fantastic the staff were during my coloscopy yesterday at the city hospital women's unit.
In particular the nurse who chaperoned me during the procedure was great. Not only did they keep me informed about what was going on and kept me distracted with interesting conversations, they did so without patronising and in a very friendly and welcoming way. It is a very awkward situation to be in, even for someone who was not particularly nervous like I wasnt, but they made me feel as physically and emotionally comfortable as possible and I believe that for other patients they really must be a life saver.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2015

Thank you so much for this glowing feedback. We are proud of our staff who go the extra mile to ensure patients feel safe and well cared for. We’ll share your kind comments will be shared with the team involved in your care.

In light of the care you received you might wish to know that there are a few days left to vote for this year’s people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards. If you wish to nominate one of the team you can do so at www.nuh.nhs.uk. It takes just a few minutes.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

cardiac cryoablatio

Had ablation yesterday. All the staff were very professional and caring, the Consultant was excellent both assured snd reassuring. Couldnt fault anything.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your experience in our care. It’s great to know our staff helped you to feel cared for and safe and that you felt well-informed and reassured by the consultant who treated you.

Please do let us have the name of the consultant and we will ensure your message is passed on to this member of staff.

Disappointed Patient gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Treatment delay whilst staff watching eclipse!

Whilst accompanying my husband for appointment with Endoscopy 20/03/15 there were delays in treatment times. Five nursing staff/doctors stood outside the building to watch the partial eclipse for 25-45 minutes from 9am - 9.45am. Consequently appointment times were delayed. A nursing sister came to speak to all patients waiting for treatment to announce there were delays of 1 hour because of staffing shortages. Clearly the department was short of 5 members for that time stated above as they were not working. I took a photograph of the staff standing outside from inside Endoscopy foyer. This is evidential proof if needed. I did ask the receptionist if the nurse were 'on duty'. They eventually came inside and went back to work. I spoke with the 2 doctors directly outside to tell them I was disappointed they were not working and they did then come inside and went back to work.

Endoscopy Department is not in the department list for me to be able to highlight in the multi-choice box either! So I've had to tick 'Don't know'!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 25 March 2015

Thank you for getting in touch. We’re sorry for the delays you and your husband experienced when you came for your recent appointment.
Any colleagues who chose to watch the eclipse should have done so in dedicated and agreed break times. That doesn’t excuse, however, the delays you experienced.

However, after speaking to colleagues, I can confirm that the delays on the day were caused by unplanned staff nurse sickness and that all trained endoscopy staff were inside preparing rooms ready for the day.

Joanne Prest,
Sister, Endoscopy.

mummy2015 gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

had my daughter here

I chose this maternity unit as i live in Grantham and ours has shut down. I was kept in to be induced after being ten days overdue and having high blood pressure. The staff as individuals were great. As a team i felt communication was sometimes lacking. I was told by the consultant i was being induced and they would call the labour ward and get me sent up. A midwife then told me they were closing the labour ward as it was busy. This was 10am friday morning. I was booked in to be induced on the monday so offered to go home and come in monday & they said i was not allowed as my monday slot may not be available. My partner had booked the day of work and it seemed it was for no reason. I requested at lunch to speak to someone and it got to 5pm so i went and asked what was happening. At 5.30pm i was taken down to labour ward and about 8.30 i had the pessary. By 11pm i woke up on bonnington ward shaking. I was taking back to labour ward & my contractions started coming every 3 mins and were extremely intense. My partner had to go find a midwife and it did feel we were left a little to start with as they left us after giving me paracetamol. When the pain was too much my partner had to go find a midwife again. I was given gas and air and diamorphine. We had different midwives throughout my labour and at one point the midwife was caring for 3 of us. I wanted an epidural but there was nobody available. Thats the only thing that has put a question mark against coming here again. The staff are clearly working hard and are so busy but it resulted in a painful labour and being left on our own. After our daughter was born there was an emergency and we were left on our own for over two hours before she was weighed and dressed and i was cleaned up. Again the staff did the best they could. I wish i could remember the names of them as they were fab. The doctor who helped deliver my daughter was also great. i would say great staff but not enough to go round. If i have another baby i would want to feel more confident that i can get the pain relief and abit more one on one attention.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 08 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 March 2015

We are grateful that you have taken the time to feedback to us and share your experience. We are very sorry that our team didn’t communicate effectively with you. This is not an experience we would wish for our families accessing care. Sometimes we experience peaks in activity that we are unable to predict. At times there can be further surges when exceptionally women present as emergencies and need our immediate additional care. During these demanding times we rely on effective communication between departments – we clearly didn’t get this right on this day. We are currently reviewing our processes for managing busy times so that we can ensure that all our families receive the high quality care we aim to provide. We hope that with the introduction of our Sanctuary Birth Centre at City Hospital, for low risk women, we will be able to provide more women with individualised one to one care. We also note your comments about the good care from individual members of staff. We will share and learn from your account. If you wish us to look into the individual circumstances of your care further, please contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext.62859 or 0115 9691169 ext. 58030.

Julia Gudgeon,
Intrapartum Maternity Matron.

Marek gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

7hrs wait from admission until the surgery

I understand things happen and sometimes you have to wait longer in a public institution to receive a service, but today's Wait was above any explanation.
My wife was told to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am to check in and be prepared for a minor surgery at the Urology Department. At 9am a nurse assisted her to get changed ...and then it started. Patients were coming in and leaving for their operations, but not my wife. At 11am I asked one of the nurses when is my wife's operation scheduled and her reply was that she cannot give me an answer. A12.30pm I lost my patience and I asked another 2 nurses what is going on? At 1.15pm a doctor came and started apologising us and started blaming the system and that my wife surgery was schedule for the afternoon session, but they have to have everyone checked in at 7.30am...Which I do not think is correct, because we saw two other patients coming to the waiting room not before 10am.
Ok, I understand the system can be poor, but it does not explain people’s behaviour and not communicating anything to the patient about what and when. Is that really that difficult to speak to someone for 2min? Why nobody came to explain the situation until I started raising my voice to be heard?
Eventually my wife was taken to have her surgery at around 14.45pm.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 06 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am sorry to hear we didn’t keep you and your wife fully informed about your operation and what would be happening next in your wife’s treatment.

I have spoken to the team concerned to remind colleagues of the importance of ensuring we communicate promptly and clear to ensure our patients and their relatives are kept well-informed, mindful of the impact good communication has on patients’ experience in our care.

Stephanie Beasley-Thompson, Clinical Lead for Cancer and Associated Specialties

Barbara S gave Mental health conditions at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

x-ray prep is a farce, surely

"...had to go to hospital today for an x-ray. A first for me in the UK. Regardless of what you had to have a piicture taken off, everybody had to strip and put 2 gowns on, keep clothes in a big green plastic bag and sit in the corridor for up to half an hour.With all the kafuffel getting in and out of the xray room took longer than it would have taken to take clothes off in there in the first place. Never mind patient dignity. Never mind common sense. Never mind wasting resources.
Yours truly needed only knee and feet x-rayed, so kept top half dressed and wrapped one gown round over bottom half, causing one admin (?) to ask me 'how I got dressed up like that.' :-)
At the end I left a feedback note that began with "NHS never fails to meet expectations and ends with ridiculous. Naughty?"
This is what I shared with my fb friends today - without naming the hospital, of course.
I might add that the radiographer indicated that the shared belief was it was more dignified for patients to stand in gown in x-ray rather than with undies showing. Well, that is a matter of opinion and culture, too.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 07 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 February 2015

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you felt there was little privacy and dignity when you came in for your x-ray. There are a few reasons why we ask patients to prepare in this way. Primarily, if clothes are worn they will show up on the image and compromise the quality. We ask patients to change before entering the X-ray room for two main reasons. Firstly, it is not considered appropriate for patients to change in front of the radiographer. We have also found that when patients change in the X-ray room it slows the process down resulting in longer waiting times for patients. We hope this answers some of your concerns however if you have ideas for how we can improve this process and the privacy and dignity of patients in the process, we would welcome an opportunity to speak to you. You can contact me on 0115 9249924 ext. 67184.

Frank gave Surgery - Breast at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer

In January my 87 year old mother was referred by her GP to City breast centre. From then my mother's experience, in the circumstances, was generally superb.
Her first (diagnostic) appointment occurred within a week. A week later Mum was seen by a consultant surgeon and a specialist cancer nurse.The care and compassion shown to my mother and their thoroughness in explaining the positive results for cancer, the options and choices with their associated demands and risks were all exemplary - of the finest order. (Thank you!).
Much time was taken by all the professionals Mum met to allow her to absorb everything she had been told (supported by relevant and clear literature). She was also given direct telephone numbers for two specialist nurses (cancer and surgical) whom she was encouraged to contact at any time. In fact, she did and, again, her experience was very informative and confidence-giving. Mum was offered choices of for her elective surgery, the soonest 2 weeks from her results appointment, just 4 weeks from seeing her GP. We cannot describe how such a rapid and professional response to Mum's plight helped her and her entire (extensive) family face the anguish.
The admissions documentation was clear and helpful. The arrangements on admission via the 'elective surgery lounge' were also very friendly, efficient and compassionate with everyone taking care to treat Mum as an individual person with humour and respect. Again, we must observe how this process and the caring, personal approach so helps the patient and family deal with the day's challenge.
At this point we have some negative points to make but, we hope, in a constructive manner. Mum was scheduled 3rd for surgery and advised this meant she would be in theatre around 1pm (having starved from the previous evening, last drink at 6am on the day and arriving at the ESL at 7.15am). Mum was given a drink at 8.30. By 1pm nothing had happened, the ward sister had been called to a meeting and other staff had gone for lunch. By 13.45 we had to ask for guidance and were told within 2 hours (thus preventing Mum having a drink). Mum was later moved to a ward to wait the theatre call (4.30). At no time between 11.30 and 16.00 did any member of staff proactively inform us of events and likely delays; we had to ask. A hungry, dehydrated 87 yearly lady was increasingly distressed and fearful of cancellation.
We understand that clinical judgment must decide the patients' scheduling and that unforeseen complications and delays may happen. This reinforces our view that frail, elderly patients should be high on the prioritising. Secondly, ignorance of events creates great uncertainty, anxiety and is very corrosive. People are far better at dealing with information even if it is disappointing.
The ward staff were cheerful, helpful and kind without exception; thank you all.
One last: tinned fruit on the menu? Tinned? For three consececutive dinners? Nutrition?
Overall: Magnificent, all of you. Thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 24 February 2015

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback – both the good and the not so good. Overall it sounds like you and your mum had a great experience with compassionate care and informative staff – this reflects the values and standards we expect at our hospitals. We welcome constructive feedback so that we can do a better job for patients in future.
It is concerning to hear about delays to your mum’s treatment which caused much unnecessary distress and anxiety. We also note your observations about the food, which we have passed on to relevant colleagues. We understand the importance of keeping patients, friends and families informed about the next steps in their treatment and are sorry we feel short on this occasion. We have shared your concerns (and the positive comments) with the team so that they can pass on to staff and make improvements. We hope your mum is now recovering well and wish you both all the best.

deborah hill gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

hysterectomy on the 26th of february 2015

From the minute i was in the hosiptal the staff was very polite and caring towards me, informing of everything that was happening. After my operation and in recovery the nurse was so kind they were a star to me , i'm sorry that i forgot their name. When on the ward loxley the staff was so good caring too. I am so thankful to all the staff for my stay with you . Thank you

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 March 2015

It is wonderful to read your feedback and to hear you were so pleased with your care. We will share your kind words with the team on Loxley Ward (and the matron).

You may also be interested to know that the people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards open to nominations on Monday (9 March). You may wish to consider nominating one of our staff in light of your recent positive experience with us. More information will be available at www.nuh.nhs.uk. If you need to find the name of the nurse who treated you, you can contact the ward on 0115 9691169 ext. 54307, for their assistance.

Vicki gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Elective admissions ward,Winifred ward 2.

Was in Friday 6/3/15 for a hemorroidectomy. Ela staff brilliant ,theatre staff brilliant,recovery staff brilliant,Winifred ward 2 staff absolutely waste of space , one hand didn't no what other hand was doing.was told my wound would be checked never was. My bp was down so would think would check again before being discharged never did. Wasn't explained any aftercare of what I should or shouldn't be doing. Some of the staff were very rude. Wasn't even offered any food at teatime even though I had been fasting from midnight. ( I was taken to the Winifred ward at 4:50 tea trolley was on the ward)

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 07 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 March 2015

We are grateful for your feedback. While it is pleasing to hear there are many staff doing a great job, it is concerning that your experience on Winifred 2 Ward is not what we would wish for our patients. I would like to discuss your concerns with you directly so that we can look into this fully for you. If you would like us to do so, please do contact me directly on 0115 9691169 ext. 70821 and I would be pleased to talk or arrange to meet in person to take this forward.

Victoria Loffreda, DDT Matron

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Have nothing but good things to say about this hospital! We had to travel 100

Have nothing but good things to say about this hospital!
We had to travel 100 miles for my daughters recent surgery and we could not have been in better hands.
All nurses on the elective admissions ward before the operation were so caring, kind and helpful. We was treated brilliantly!
Staff on gilies ward were all amazing, really can't thank them all enough, nothing was to much trouble. Wards were constantly cleaned, food was good and had an excellent choice.
The onsite hotel is so nice and made a difficult time so much easier!
Fantastic hospital and well worth the traveling. Special thanks to one doctor who went further than most to make me and my daughter feel at ease, well informed and looked after .

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 28 January 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 February 2015

Your feedback makes excellent reading. Your experience highlights why good communication and strong teamwork is so important when it comes to delivering the highest standards of care that our patients, their families and carers deserve. We are so pleased to have made such a difficult time easier for you and your daughter. Your feedback will be passed on to the team so they know how much you appreciated them. We hope your daughter is recovering well.