Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Rachel gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Amazing new sanctuary room birthing experience!!

I gave birth at City hospital in 2012 and recieved excellent care back then so decided to have my 2nd baby here in April 2015.

When I got there I was shown to one of 4 new birthing rooms in the "Sanctuary" . I didn't know nothing about it prior to getting to hospital, I think they opened in Jan 2015.

Wow what can I say... My birthing experience was amazing. The rooms have been decorated lovely, with dim lighting and candle style lights, a birthing pool, a radio/cd player, beanbags, birthing balls/stools etc. Lots of thought has gone into the rooms and they really are an asset to city hospital. I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to have a natural birthing experience.

All of the midwifes I came into contact with during my stay were fantastic. I could not fault them and to be fair on the night I gave birth, labour ward had closed and they were sending people to queens so they were rushed off there feet but that didn't effect the care I received in anyway.

Well done city maternity!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 April 2015

Hi Rachel. Firstly, many congratulations on the birth of your second baby. We hope you’re both doing well. Thank you for this wonderful feedback about our staff and your care and also our excellent new facilities in the Sanctuary Birthing Centre. We have shared your feedback with the team in Maternity - who will be pleased to know they helped make your experience a special one.

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

requested to be seen by female got male .

I have just had a cystoscopy at City, I was very very scared and due to having had difficult life experiences, I phoned and asked that the procedure was carried out by a female. The nurses I spoke to were lovely, very very kind and reassuring. I felt that they totally understood and acknowledged the reasons for my request. I was told that there was going to be a male on duty the day of my appointment but that a female would carry out the procedure for me.I felt much less anxious about going to the appointment knowing that I would not have to be examined by a male. When I got there this was not the case at all. A nurse did speak to me they were very kind and told me they were tracking down a female doctor and I was very relieved as I was shaking with fear and crying by this time. They went away and I never saw them again. then I was called into the clinic room by the male nurse. I was very distressed by now and told him and the two other staff present about the reasons for my wanting a female to carry out the procedure giving them my history. I did not feel they understood how upset I was , they said I could come back on another day when there would be a woman on duty but I could not face going away and then getting all wound up again so I went ahead with the test. The test itself was fine but I found it highly upsetting to have my genitalia touched by a man, they literally spread your labia with their fingers to clean you and then spread them again prior to inserting the device. As a survivor of sexual trauma I found this horrible and upsetting. I had explained all this on the phone and as I said they were very kind and supportive. Two hours after my appointment I went shopping and I had flashbacks of the assault I suffered, I could not breathe, I was back in that horrible moment which I had not thought about for years. I fully appreciate that many women are fine being examined by a male but I am not for what I feel are very valid reasons. .

On a separate point I was also told that a local anesthetic is always used and gel was put on my urethra which I assumed was an anesthetic.It was in fact lubricant. The device was inserted immediately and I asked ii f they were not going to wait for the anesthetic to take effect. I was told that they never use anesthetic and it hurt me because I currently have a sore urethra due to a having thrush. I was not asked about any medication I was on despite the appointment letter requesting that I write it all down. As I am on quite a lot of medication I did this thinking it was necessary but it is not.

All the staff were polite and professional and acted very quickly when a male patient strayed into the female only waiting area,

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham City hospital colposcopy

I just want to say how fantastic the staff were during my coloscopy yesterday at the city hospital women's unit.
In particular the nurse who chaperoned me during the procedure was great. Not only did they keep me informed about what was going on and kept me distracted with interesting conversations, they did so without patronising and in a very friendly and welcoming way. It is a very awkward situation to be in, even for someone who was not particularly nervous like I wasnt, but they made me feel as physically and emotionally comfortable as possible and I believe that for other patients they really must be a life saver.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 18 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 March 2015

Thank you so much for this glowing feedback. We are proud of our staff who go the extra mile to ensure patients feel safe and well cared for. We’ll share your kind comments will be shared with the team involved in your care.

In light of the care you received you might wish to know that there are a few days left to vote for this year’s people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards. If you wish to nominate one of the team you can do so at www.nuh.nhs.uk. It takes just a few minutes.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

cardiac cryoablatio

Had ablation yesterday. All the staff were very professional and caring, the Consultant was excellent both assured snd reassuring. Couldnt fault anything.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 23 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your experience in our care. It’s great to know our staff helped you to feel cared for and safe and that you felt well-informed and reassured by the consultant who treated you.

Please do let us have the name of the consultant and we will ensure your message is passed on to this member of staff.

Disappointed Patient gave Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Treatment delay whilst staff watching eclipse!

Whilst accompanying my husband for appointment with Endoscopy 20/03/15 there were delays in treatment times. Five nursing staff/doctors stood outside the building to watch the partial eclipse for 25-45 minutes from 9am - 9.45am. Consequently appointment times were delayed. A nursing sister came to speak to all patients waiting for treatment to announce there were delays of 1 hour because of staffing shortages. Clearly the department was short of 5 members for that time stated above as they were not working. I took a photograph of the staff standing outside from inside Endoscopy foyer. This is evidential proof if needed. I did ask the receptionist if the nurse were 'on duty'. They eventually came inside and went back to work. I spoke with the 2 doctors directly outside to tell them I was disappointed they were not working and they did then come inside and went back to work.

Endoscopy Department is not in the department list for me to be able to highlight in the multi-choice box either! So I've had to tick 'Don't know'!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 25 March 2015

Thank you for getting in touch. We’re sorry for the delays you and your husband experienced when you came for your recent appointment.
Any colleagues who chose to watch the eclipse should have done so in dedicated and agreed break times. That doesn’t excuse, however, the delays you experienced.

However, after speaking to colleagues, I can confirm that the delays on the day were caused by unplanned staff nurse sickness and that all trained endoscopy staff were inside preparing rooms ready for the day.

Joanne Prest,
Sister, Endoscopy.

Old Man of Mow gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

More than satisfactory outcome of a short surgical visit

I underwent prostate surgery last week [with an overnight stay] and have just had my catheter removed in the day case unit.

The best experiences were the painless and stress-free surgery itself under spinal anaesthetic plus supplementary sedation, the efficient logistics [appointments, visits to clinics, pre-op assessment, ward transfer and readmission], and, of course, a successful outcome.

I would have welcomed more attentive post-op nursing care overnight as well as a quieter, calmer ward environment. I noticed that the more senior staff were sometimes pre-occupied with form-filling and report-writing, leaving less-experienced juniors to perform the rather delicate procedures. Some but not all staff established an appropriate personal relationship with me as a dependent and slightly anxious patient briefly passing through a busy ward with many more needy souls to attend to.

I needed to have paid more attention to the procedural information that was provided: staff might check that patients have actually received and understood the instructions and advice given, and encourage questions.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 08 April 2015

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. It’s great to hear that your treatment was successful, smooth and efficient. We’re disappointed, however, to read that the inconsistent behaviours of our staff impacted adversely on your overall experience in our care. It would be helpful to share your feedback with the ward manager so that this can be shared with staff and used to inform future improvements. Please do get in touch with us with the ward details by calling 0115 9249924 ext. 61784.

Gynnaecology - Operation in Urology - Ward stay on Loxley

I had a Gynaecological operation but there was a complication during the surgery, and I would like to say a huge thank you to all the theatre staff, surgeon and the Anaesthetist who asked a nurse from the specialist unit to visit me that evening to check up on me, which they did.
I would also like to say a huge thank you to all the day and night nursing staff and doctors on Loxley ward for taking care of me during my unexpected 2 night stay. They made me feel at ease and were very caring, considerate, attentive and friendly.
Thank you to you all.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 08 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 April 2015

Thank you. Hospital stays and operations can be daunting for many, especially when things don’t go as planned. It is pleasing to hear that you felt so well cared for and safe in the hands of those who were looking after you during your stay. We have shared your feedback with Loxley Ward. We hope you are recovering well after surgery.

jane garvey gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

the after care is appaling for someone who has had a stroke.

The after care is appalling for someone who has had a stroke. At present there are no physio and it treatment available they say due to lack of staff. They do not have any compassion that they are letting very vulnerable patients down as of this week there are no facilities either in the community or sos teams for people coming out of city hospital please don't be fooled like we were on sea Cole ward that sos will be following u up they have been told that sos is closed and will get the patient home before telling the truth please warn people this is happenong

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 April 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 April 2015

Dear Jane. I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your aftercare and general experience of our service. The Stroke Outreach Service was set up to bridge the gap in therapy services between the inpatient stroke unit care and community based stroke services. Unfortunately due to three episodes of staff sickness (in March) the service was running over capacity and we felt it would be unsafe to continue that way. As such the service was closed to new referrals for one week.
This closure affected a small number of people. During this time, patients were either discharged home to await community stroke team follow up, supported by social services or remained in hospital for longer depending on their therapy needs and goals. One patient was supported via the complex stroke team who gave advice, treatment and education and provided self-practice guidelines at the patient’s own home.
Any patients during this period of closure were referred directly to the community stroke service team. The commissioned community stroke service in Nottinghamshire is currently running at full capacity and as such there is currently a wait for community based rehabilitation.
Stroke Outreach Service continues to have staff shortages but is open and able to support the early discharges of stroke patients from hospital while Seacole Stroke unit continues to plan to prioritise patient’s best interests at all times. If you wish to discuss further, I would be pleased to do so, You can contact me on 0115 9691169 ext. 76762.

Annie Barringham,
Sister for Seacole Stroke Unit.

mummy2015 gave Maternity services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

had my daughter here

I chose this maternity unit as i live in Grantham and ours has shut down. I was kept in to be induced after being ten days overdue and having high blood pressure. The staff as individuals were great. As a team i felt communication was sometimes lacking. I was told by the consultant i was being induced and they would call the labour ward and get me sent up. A midwife then told me they were closing the labour ward as it was busy. This was 10am friday morning. I was booked in to be induced on the monday so offered to go home and come in monday & they said i was not allowed as my monday slot may not be available. My partner had booked the day of work and it seemed it was for no reason. I requested at lunch to speak to someone and it got to 5pm so i went and asked what was happening. At 5.30pm i was taken down to labour ward and about 8.30 i had the pessary. By 11pm i woke up on bonnington ward shaking. I was taking back to labour ward & my contractions started coming every 3 mins and were extremely intense. My partner had to go find a midwife and it did feel we were left a little to start with as they left us after giving me paracetamol. When the pain was too much my partner had to go find a midwife again. I was given gas and air and diamorphine. We had different midwives throughout my labour and at one point the midwife was caring for 3 of us. I wanted an epidural but there was nobody available. Thats the only thing that has put a question mark against coming here again. The staff are clearly working hard and are so busy but it resulted in a painful labour and being left on our own. After our daughter was born there was an emergency and we were left on our own for over two hours before she was weighed and dressed and i was cleaned up. Again the staff did the best they could. I wish i could remember the names of them as they were fab. The doctor who helped deliver my daughter was also great. i would say great staff but not enough to go round. If i have another baby i would want to feel more confident that i can get the pain relief and abit more one on one attention.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 08 March 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 March 2015

We are grateful that you have taken the time to feedback to us and share your experience. We are very sorry that our team didn’t communicate effectively with you. This is not an experience we would wish for our families accessing care. Sometimes we experience peaks in activity that we are unable to predict. At times there can be further surges when exceptionally women present as emergencies and need our immediate additional care. During these demanding times we rely on effective communication between departments – we clearly didn’t get this right on this day. We are currently reviewing our processes for managing busy times so that we can ensure that all our families receive the high quality care we aim to provide. We hope that with the introduction of our Sanctuary Birth Centre at City Hospital, for low risk women, we will be able to provide more women with individualised one to one care. We also note your comments about the good care from individual members of staff. We will share and learn from your account. If you wish us to look into the individual circumstances of your care further, please contact me directly on 0115 9249924 ext.62859 or 0115 9691169 ext. 58030.

Julia Gudgeon,
Intrapartum Maternity Matron.

Marek gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

7hrs wait from admission until the surgery

I understand things happen and sometimes you have to wait longer in a public institution to receive a service, but today's Wait was above any explanation.
My wife was told to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am to check in and be prepared for a minor surgery at the Urology Department. At 9am a nurse assisted her to get changed ...and then it started. Patients were coming in and leaving for their operations, but not my wife. At 11am I asked one of the nurses when is my wife's operation scheduled and her reply was that she cannot give me an answer. A12.30pm I lost my patience and I asked another 2 nurses what is going on? At 1.15pm a doctor came and started apologising us and started blaming the system and that my wife surgery was schedule for the afternoon session, but they have to have everyone checked in at 7.30am...Which I do not think is correct, because we saw two other patients coming to the waiting room not before 10am.
Ok, I understand the system can be poor, but it does not explain people’s behaviour and not communicating anything to the patient about what and when. Is that really that difficult to speak to someone for 2min? Why nobody came to explain the situation until I started raising my voice to be heard?
Eventually my wife was taken to have her surgery at around 14.45pm.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 06 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am sorry to hear we didn’t keep you and your wife fully informed about your operation and what would be happening next in your wife’s treatment.

I have spoken to the team concerned to remind colleagues of the importance of ensuring we communicate promptly and clear to ensure our patients and their relatives are kept well-informed, mindful of the impact good communication has on patients’ experience in our care.

Stephanie Beasley-Thompson, Clinical Lead for Cancer and Associated Specialties