Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Telephone: 0115 969 1169
Address: Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB
Website: http://www.nuh.nhs.uk

Marek gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

7hrs wait from admission until the surgery

I understand things happen and sometimes you have to wait longer in a public institution to receive a service, but today's Wait was above any explanation.
My wife was told to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am to check in and be prepared for a minor surgery at the Urology Department. At 9am a nurse assisted her to get changed ...and then it started. Patients were coming in and leaving for their operations, but not my wife. At 11am I asked one of the nurses when is my wife's operation scheduled and her reply was that she cannot give me an answer. A12.30pm I lost my patience and I asked another 2 nurses what is going on? At 1.15pm a doctor came and started apologising us and started blaming the system and that my wife surgery was schedule for the afternoon session, but they have to have everyone checked in at 7.30am...Which I do not think is correct, because we saw two other patients coming to the waiting room not before 10am.
Ok, I understand the system can be poor, but it does not explain people’s behaviour and not communicating anything to the patient about what and when. Is that really that difficult to speak to someone for 2min? Why nobody came to explain the situation until I started raising my voice to be heard?
Eventually my wife was taken to have her surgery at around 14.45pm.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 06 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 10 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I am sorry to hear we didn’t keep you and your wife fully informed about your operation and what would be happening next in your wife’s treatment.

I have spoken to the team concerned to remind colleagues of the importance of ensuring we communicate promptly and clear to ensure our patients and their relatives are kept well-informed, mindful of the impact good communication has on patients’ experience in our care.

Stephanie Beasley-Thompson, Clinical Lead for Cancer and Associated Specialties

Barbara S gave Mental health conditions at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 2 stars

x-ray prep is a farce, surely

"...had to go to hospital today for an x-ray. A first for me in the UK. Regardless of what you had to have a piicture taken off, everybody had to strip and put 2 gowns on, keep clothes in a big green plastic bag and sit in the corridor for up to half an hour.With all the kafuffel getting in and out of the xray room took longer than it would have taken to take clothes off in there in the first place. Never mind patient dignity. Never mind common sense. Never mind wasting resources.
Yours truly needed only knee and feet x-rayed, so kept top half dressed and wrapped one gown round over bottom half, causing one admin (?) to ask me 'how I got dressed up like that.' :-)
At the end I left a feedback note that began with "NHS never fails to meet expectations and ends with ridiculous. Naughty?"
This is what I shared with my fb friends today - without naming the hospital, of course.
I might add that the radiographer indicated that the shared belief was it was more dignified for patients to stand in gown in x-ray rather than with undies showing. Well, that is a matter of opinion and culture, too.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 07 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 February 2015

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you felt there was little privacy and dignity when you came in for your x-ray. There are a few reasons why we ask patients to prepare in this way. Primarily, if clothes are worn they will show up on the image and compromise the quality. We ask patients to change before entering the X-ray room for two main reasons. Firstly, it is not considered appropriate for patients to change in front of the radiographer. We have also found that when patients change in the X-ray room it slows the process down resulting in longer waiting times for patients. We hope this answers some of your concerns however if you have ideas for how we can improve this process and the privacy and dignity of patients in the process, we would welcome an opportunity to speak to you. You can contact me on 0115 9249924 ext. 67184.

Frank gave Surgery - Breast at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer

In January my 87 year old mother was referred by her GP to City breast centre. From then my mother's experience, in the circumstances, was generally superb.
Her first (diagnostic) appointment occurred within a week. A week later Mum was seen by a consultant surgeon and a specialist cancer nurse.The care and compassion shown to my mother and their thoroughness in explaining the positive results for cancer, the options and choices with their associated demands and risks were all exemplary - of the finest order. (Thank you!).
Much time was taken by all the professionals Mum met to allow her to absorb everything she had been told (supported by relevant and clear literature). She was also given direct telephone numbers for two specialist nurses (cancer and surgical) whom she was encouraged to contact at any time. In fact, she did and, again, her experience was very informative and confidence-giving. Mum was offered choices of for her elective surgery, the soonest 2 weeks from her results appointment, just 4 weeks from seeing her GP. We cannot describe how such a rapid and professional response to Mum's plight helped her and her entire (extensive) family face the anguish.
The admissions documentation was clear and helpful. The arrangements on admission via the 'elective surgery lounge' were also very friendly, efficient and compassionate with everyone taking care to treat Mum as an individual person with humour and respect. Again, we must observe how this process and the caring, personal approach so helps the patient and family deal with the day's challenge.
At this point we have some negative points to make but, we hope, in a constructive manner. Mum was scheduled 3rd for surgery and advised this meant she would be in theatre around 1pm (having starved from the previous evening, last drink at 6am on the day and arriving at the ESL at 7.15am). Mum was given a drink at 8.30. By 1pm nothing had happened, the ward sister had been called to a meeting and other staff had gone for lunch. By 13.45 we had to ask for guidance and were told within 2 hours (thus preventing Mum having a drink). Mum was later moved to a ward to wait the theatre call (4.30). At no time between 11.30 and 16.00 did any member of staff proactively inform us of events and likely delays; we had to ask. A hungry, dehydrated 87 yearly lady was increasingly distressed and fearful of cancellation.
We understand that clinical judgment must decide the patients' scheduling and that unforeseen complications and delays may happen. This reinforces our view that frail, elderly patients should be high on the prioritising. Secondly, ignorance of events creates great uncertainty, anxiety and is very corrosive. People are far better at dealing with information even if it is disappointing.
The ward staff were cheerful, helpful and kind without exception; thank you all.
One last: tinned fruit on the menu? Tinned? For three consececutive dinners? Nutrition?
Overall: Magnificent, all of you. Thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 23 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 24 February 2015

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback – both the good and the not so good. Overall it sounds like you and your mum had a great experience with compassionate care and informative staff – this reflects the values and standards we expect at our hospitals. We welcome constructive feedback so that we can do a better job for patients in future.
It is concerning to hear about delays to your mum’s treatment which caused much unnecessary distress and anxiety. We also note your observations about the food, which we have passed on to relevant colleagues. We understand the importance of keeping patients, friends and families informed about the next steps in their treatment and are sorry we feel short on this occasion. We have shared your concerns (and the positive comments) with the team so that they can pass on to staff and make improvements. We hope your mum is now recovering well and wish you both all the best.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Removal of ovarian masses and a hysterectomy

I had the operation and was put at ease throughout the whole process, woke up and felt brilliant. The next day I felt really confused and was diagnosed with post-surgery delirium. This was very scary for me and my family! (Its supposed to be quite common in elderly people that undergo big surgeries).

Anyway, I felt the need to say thank you to the nurses as I was really unwell, totally confused at who I was and where I was, hallucinations etc which made me extremely irritable, (and very rude to the night nurses!

Needless to say, the symptoms dissipated over the following 36 hours and I was allowed home. So thank you everyone and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. I was a totally different person during that time. There's a card in the post to say thank you!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 02 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 03 February 2015

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, which sounds like it must have been quite frightening for you and your family. It’s wonderful to hear how well cared for you were throughout your stay with us. Please don’t apologise - our clinical colleagues fully understand the impact that certain medications can have on patients. Thank you for taking the time to send our staff a ‘thank you’ card. This is a lovely gesture. We wish you well in your recovery. The people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards open to nominations ion 9 March, which you may wish to consider in light of your recent experience with us. You can find more information on our website nearer the time at www.nuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Have nothing but good things to say about this hospital! We had to travel 100

Have nothing but good things to say about this hospital!
We had to travel 100 miles for my daughters recent surgery and we could not have been in better hands.
All nurses on the elective admissions ward before the operation were so caring, kind and helpful. We was treated brilliantly!
Staff on gilies ward were all amazing, really can't thank them all enough, nothing was to much trouble. Wards were constantly cleaned, food was good and had an excellent choice.
The onsite hotel is so nice and made a difficult time so much easier!
Fantastic hospital and well worth the traveling. Special thanks to one doctor who went further than most to make me and my daughter feel at ease, well informed and looked after .

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 28 January 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 09 February 2015

Your feedback makes excellent reading. Your experience highlights why good communication and strong teamwork is so important when it comes to delivering the highest standards of care that our patients, their families and carers deserve. We are so pleased to have made such a difficult time easier for you and your daughter. Your feedback will be passed on to the team so they know how much you appreciated them. We hope your daughter is recovering well.

Owlsue gave Pain Management at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Pain Management a pleasure not a pain !

I have been under the pain management team at City Campus for several years now and can offer only praise for the whole team. Yes you sometimes have a delay in outpatient clinics but I don't mind that as when its your turn you are given all the time you need to ask questions or seek advice. The Facet joint injections I have received have always been done with care and consideration and the next appointment almost comes through exactly on the date I would be phoning to say "its wearing off".You are never treated like a number but a person and one in pain at all times - little things like being offered help to get on and off treatment tables, etc is so brilliant.
I would , and do recommend this department to anyone I know who has long lasting pain issues.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 11 February 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 February 2015

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience. You’re absolutely right, it’s the ‘little things’ that are very often most important and make the biggest difference to the overall experience of our patients. We will share your comments with the Pain Management team. They will no doubt be pleased to hear how happy you are with your care.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal cancer services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

As a result of tests carried out under the Bower Cancer Screening Programme, I was referred to the Endoscopy Unit for further examination. Throughout the process, from initial screening interview to post-examination care, I was treated with consideration and care.

Please convey my thanks to everyone; the receptionists, nurses, clinicians and the consultant who carried out the endoscopy.

(The Endoscopy Unit is not listed below: I hope I've selected an appropriate department)

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 11 January 2015

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 15 January 2015

Thank you for your lovely feedback about our bowel cancer screening programme, and the endoscopy service. It is great to read your comment and see how you were treated with consideration and care at every stage of the process. We will be glad to pass your message of thanks on to our colleagues in the team, we are sure they will appreciate it.

I want to say a big thank you to all who helped me overcome my fear that day. I

I want to say a big thank you to all who helped me overcome my fear that day. I was on Gillies ward bay two, nothing was to much trouble for them on the ward, the porter's that took me down and back to theatre were very kind, my anaesthetist was brilliant, so were the team in theatre, the nurse who took me to the loo while down there and came to see me straight after my opp, and not forgetting my plastic surgeon, my nose already looks better. Hoping not to be back any time soon !!! But Nottingham City Hospital will be my choice every time. Oh forgot the lovely member of staff that did my pre opp and the nurse who did my blood test that day.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 03 December 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 11 December 2014

Thank you for such lovely feedback. We appreciate coming into hospital can be a difficult and daunting experience for patients, and we are very pleased to hear that our colleagues on Gillies ward and in theatres helped you feel at ease. We will pass on your message of thanks to the team.

Anonymous gave Urology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Harvey 2

My dad is on Harvey 2 ward ( which he should really be on a medical ward)
And he is not getting the right care he should be given. The doctors can't be bothered to come from the medical ward to see him. He's been in three weeks and seen doctors two or three times. We waited for a doctor to come because he's been so sick for a week can't eat or drink, oh at seven o'clock decides they aren't coming thank you. This is just tip of an ice berg. Waiting for an x Ray but ten o'clock at night still not had.
Wish he had never come in city hospital. He's worse now than when he came in.
My husband had pneumonia last year and wouldn't come in hospital, now I can see why

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 29 December 2014

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 28 January 2015

Unfortunately, with unprecedented demand on our hospital beds over winter, some patients have been cared for on wards that do not specialise in the condition patients were admitted for. We wish to assure you that the decision to do this is always made on a case by case basis to ensure the safety and our patients and quality of care is not compromised. Our staff on Harvey 2 Ward are very familiar with looking after the needs of medical patients.

All clinical tests and examinations that were required for patients did go ahead as planned, however, we accept that from time to time there have been some delays, again, caused by the extreme demand on all of our services. Any patients that haven’t had a senior review by 12.30pm each day are referred to our senior team daily.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns about your father’s care and therefore invite you to contact our PALS team on 0800 183 0204, or by email, PALS@nuh.nhs.uk so that we can gain the relevant details from you to provide the answers you deserve to receive.

Fay Allen, Ward Sister on Harvey Two.

Pat Jackson gave Stroke services at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Nottingham Stroke Unit Review

Could not fault any of my treatment. The staff in my opinion were superb. The young staff, trainees, should get a medal for what they do. They make a bad experience more than tolerable.
Keep it up and thanks!
Regards
Pat Jackson

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 03 January 2015

Thank you Pat for your lovely feedback about our stroke services, we will share your kind words with the team.