University Hospital Of North Tees

01642 617617 Hardwick Road , Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, TS19 8PE

Bengreaves89 gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 1 stars

The NHS - A Mythical Creature

So we wonder why the NHS seems to be going to the dogs on a daily basis, and we wonder why we hear all the terrible stories. Well I hate to tell it to you guys but the system is nothing but a white whale. Something we like to believe is around us, always there to help. What proceeds is only one mans experience but shows a majority of underlining flaws in the system.... My partner and I had recently found we were pregnant with our first child, only 6-7 weeks but still exciting times . My partner started to experience heavy pains, sickness and diharea. Me being ever the pessimist (and a workaholic) decided if do a quick google as I was half way through a shift. You can never be to careful of course but my prognosis suggested that these were normal cramps and pains for a woman of this condition and the diharea linked to an ongoing case of IBS and spicey rice. Despite this and explaining my case to my partner , she insisted we attend North tees hospital. We arrived at 5:20 and were seen in record time (20 minutes), questions, blood pressure , Heart rate and temp all taken aswell as urine . Que 1 hour wait... After getting seen again, and taking BP, HR and temp again! We waited in a room for 45 minutes, to be told we'd be moved upstairs in no time. Que 15 min wait. Another nurse then comes to take .. You guessed it .. HR, BP and temp before another 15 minute wait for a porter who insisted we had to use a wheelchair citing health and safety.. (What a useless waste of resources) . We were sent upstairs and ... You'll never guess what ... HR, BP , temp & another urine sample. Now my thoughts are in 2hrs 35 mins ... Very little will have changed , and despite all the information being written down still did the minor tests. ( again the rate at which these were done I believe it to be a huge drain on the system) ... Again we waited 1 hr 30 mins to finally see a gynaecologist who'd forgotten about us. Finally we get in to see the doctor. The ends in sight ! It must be . 'We'll send you for a scan, it will be a bit of a wait mind you' ..... I'm speechless at this point ... I've waited 4 hours and the only information you can give me that the pains my now distressed, upset, hungry and tired partner is getting are probably all normal part of pregnancy. But as a precaution they'll send us for a scan. To me , I'd already got this basic information and you can imagine my anger that waiting over 4 hours to be told something I already knew to me was like trying to get a conversation out of a stone Buddha I have sat in my garden. I'ts now 9:58pm exactly and we still don't know if we are going for a scan or not! 4hrs 32 minutes !!! If you find a hungry looking skeleton, clutching a pregnant blonde girl in a few weeks time , It's probably me , I'm just waiting to be seen still. What a total and utter drain on my taxes. A joke of a system that doesn't work.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees has not yet replied.

wall1409 gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 2 stars

confused

I eas sent to the fracture clinic after my gp contacted them as an mri the GP ordered had came back witha humerus fracture on it. I attended clinic over a week ago to be given no advice, sent for an xray as fracture doctor didnt believe or understand mri. The doctor then told me it was classec as chronic as i not only had fracture with fluid but my shoulder was frozen and i alsi had severe arthritis in top of shouldrr to clavicle, i was tokd i need a referal to orthopaedic surgeon and sent back to gp. Gp promptly sent referral and i received appointment for 7th September . I am in agony, no sleep etc so my daughter took me to a&e yesterday asfrr seeking advise, i seen a doctor maily to confirm i had no infection. The doctor couldn't apologise enough for my treatment and arranged an appointment at the fracture clinic first thing monday. I explained to the doctor tgat i was afraid they would turn me away again and they advised if they try to do that to demand a second opinion as i have the right to it. I am very confused as its appearing the fracture clinic should have dealt with me. I started having pain in both shoulders in April and originally diagnosed with bursitis but left shoulder git worse but since i visited fracture clinic and without seeing results they srarted mivi g my shoulder around and xray was even worse pain is now a permanent 10 and gp has given me the highest possible prescription as i am already on opiatez etc for arthritis

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 21 August 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 25 August 2016

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns we need further information therefore could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Lee gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 4 stars

MRI DEPARTMENT

I needed an MRI scan and attended North Tees .I was very s ared and nervous but the staff in the MRI drept put me right at ease. They were extremely friendly and helpful. They reassured me and were very polite .I cannot praise them enough.They got me through a scary experience with ease so thank you guys ! Highly recommended.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 31 August 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 05 September 2016

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. Your kind comments will be forwarded to the team involved in your care. Please accept our good wishes for the future.

Joy Speechley reviewed Cardiology at University Hospital Of North Tees

Wonderful care

I came to A&E on 16 th July with chest & back pain. I was treated In A&E, then the rapid respnonce ward , then ambulatory care, & finally on acute coronary care. I can I just say all the staff took wonderful, thoughtful,careing care of me. Putting both my mind & body at ease. I am also going to write a letter to the people who run the hospital to let them know, just how dedicated there staff are & certainly need the best praise they can get. Thank you staff on all the wards I was on.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 24 July 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 17 August 2016

Anonymous gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted at standards

After a recent visit to a relative I would like to voice my concerns over the lack of cleanliness in his room. There was a pool of spilt tea on the floor with two tablets floating in it, the over bed tray was littered with dirty cups, a cup with sputum and to top it all, there was also a used cardboard urinal left , which quite honestly beggars belief! There was blood on the rail of the bed, and the patients gown was filthy where they had been sick. I really find the standards of cleanliness in this ward totally unacceptable.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 27 June 2016

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 3 stars

A and E a joke

How can anyone have poorly patients left in A /E for 5 hours waiting time to see doctor. We left the hospital with a prescription at 3.30 am only to be admitted the following day on to a ward. They did not have the meds so a script was given for us to collect the following day. Disgracefull!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 18 June 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 27 June 2016

Mrs P gave University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Rapid Assessment Unit

Excellent service today from the doctor and staff. All very efficient, friendly and a credit to their professions. Thank you very much for you help and expertise.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 28 June 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 17 August 2016

David Inman gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 4 stars

Patient Experience

I was admitted to hospital as an emergency and initially treated in Resuscitation department of A and E. The Staff in this department were fantastic and I felt reassured that I was receiving the best care possible. I was transferred to Critical Care Ward where I found the care exceptional.
I was then transferred to Ward 24, where my experience was not so positive. Staff did not keep me informed of my progress and there were a few mix ups with my vital medication. The staff responsible for the mix up were agency staff and did not fill me with confidence that they were competent in their role, medicine cupboards were left open with the keys in the lock.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 28 June 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 17 August 2016

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. Your kind comments for A&E and Critical Care will be forwarded to the staff involved in your care.

However to enable the Trust to investigate your concerns regarding ward 24 we need further information therefore could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 4 stars

A & E Excellent, Ward 24 Not so Good

Mum was admitted to A and E as an emergency. The staff there were amazing, nurses, student nurses, Drs, HCAs and paramedics, all working under a lot of pressure and facing a lot of abuse from certain patients and their relatives. When I arrived the dept was overflowing, I was taken to Resus and advised that Mums condition was critical and there was a possibility that she wouldn't make it through the night. I was kept updated with all her tretatment. Due to the excellent care she received, she survived and was transferred onto Ward 24.
Ward 24 is an entirely different matter. I had to ask on 5 occasions to speak to a Dr. Eventually got to speak to someone after Mum had been there for 2 weeks. Mum struggles to understand, she said they don't explain her treatment and she is scared. Yesterday there was a dirty towel under Mums bed, (not hers), and a cardboard urinal on her table (again obviously not hers), and she was sitting in a dirty, bloodstained nightdress.
This leads me on to the car parking. I never had a problem getting parked, but £3 for over 20 minutes is ridiculous. Due to Hartlepool hospital closing ward by ward, I am faced with a 50 mile round trip just to get to North Tees, as well as the car parking costs.
Totally the wrong decision to close Hartlepool.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 17 August 2016

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. Your kind comments for A&E will be forwarded to the staff involved in your mum's care.

Paulc reviewed University Hospital Of North Tees

Ward 27

My mother was put on the pathway to the end of life. My mother was in a lot of pain and started to scream in pain after a few mins I went to find a nurse who could give her pain medication but no one around all the staff on the ward were health care assistants because the nursing staff were having a meeting which meant my mother was in a hell of a lot of pain for 30mins before a member of the nursing team to try and sort it which is a long time to watch your mother screaming. It took them over 3 hours to sort the pain.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 July 2016 using Patient Opinion