Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

garlinge reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Not happy about this

having had an xray done a few weeks ago called for results .. sorry doctor hasnt looked at them yet called again after weekend sorry doctor hasnt looked at them yet call again in two days, , , , , if this is happeneing now how can your new system work? not happy about this

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 08 August 2017

I am sorry to hear you have not been able to get your x ray results. The PALS team would be happy to look into this for you. You can contact the PALS team by email at: ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net or by phone 01227 783145. Please contact the PALS team so they can help you. Thank you.

trish james gave Orthopaedics at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

blown away by experience on 8th august 2017

within 2 hours I had been seen by the Vascular nurses ,(appointment). X Ray for suspected foot fracture, which proved positive, Radiographer went straight to Minor Injuries came back with wheelchair pushed me to Minors seen by Nurses and contact with Orthos who advised, all this done in exactly 2 hours.

All the Staff concerned could not do enough for me and were very thorough with history taking and decision making.

Cannot fault the service I received.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Joel gave Vascular surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

To The Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Nurses of Kent Ward

I just wanted to express my thanks and appreciation for the wonderful treatment and care you all showed to me following my recent hernia repair surgery.
Before I came into hospital for the operation, I was very nervous and daunted by the fear of the unknown, I also did suffer of a small panic attack on the day after arriving in my room, but you were all so kind and reassuring, it did help a lot and took away a lot of my apprehension.
One of my main fear as for most patient is to be put to sleep, and I must say the anaesthetist team was incredible in every way to make me feel at ease, I am so thankful to them.
A big thanks also, to the surgeon and the surgical team for their expertise in the operating theatre.
During the recovery time, back in my room, all of you nurses were all so friendly, helpful and demonstrated your total commitment into caring for me
Thanks to you all, in the Kent Ward, (unfortunately I am so sorry to have forgotten all your names) one thing I wont forget is how you manage to transform my fears of my short stay for surgery into a much more so to speak enjoyable one. You can imagine how grateful I am.
Thank you all once again for all your care and support.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 02 August 2017

I hope you are making a good recovery from your surgery. Thank you very much for leaving such great feedback. It's great to hear you had a positive experience. I have passed your comments on to all the teams who were involved in your care and treatment.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Box ticking exercise

In March 2016 I began to throw up/headache/pounding in head/vision disturbances the occurrences became more frequent and the effects more severe over time until I had a 5 day episode in November during which I fell unconscious that resulted in a hospital stay in Tunbridge Wells, the Neurologist there believed this was just due to a bad reaction to a drug I was given and I was just suffering from a migraine.

In January though I started blacking out during these episodes and was hospitalised when I had a 6 day "migraine" where by the last day my heart rate was going as high as 200, normally it drops during these episodes. I was in the CCU (Cardiology Care Unit) and they were satisfied nothing was wrong with my heart so my care was transferred to Neurology, which is where my problems really began.

To start with the cardiology doctor booked an EEG test on neurology's behalf, but after 12 weeks I heard nothing else back. After seeing my GP I found that Kings had requested an MRI to be performed, but no one had booked it. I also found that the neurologist I was due to see was leaving so I would see someone else, two MRI scans were done and after 24 weeks I finally saw the Neurologist.

They said the blackouts were due to vagal syncope, which is what was written on my hospital discharge letter, but no tests had been made to confirm this, they just assumed it, and then asked me some questions on the past 2 months.

They told me that my spinal MRI was fine, I assumed they meant just regarding the cause of the episodes, but later documentation never mentioned the major back operation I had 7 years previously that he appears completely unaware of.

They then said I was just suffering from a migraine and prescribed a new medication, they said also they would not be seeing me again as the doctor was only temporary there, but I later found that they had discharged me from neurology to my local GP.

I thought something was wrong when I mentioned about my heart rate often dropping during these episodes and they said I should see a cardiologist, although I had spent 9 days on a cardiology ward being tested!

I later received a letter that described my medical history as suffering from 2 migraines a month that last 1-2 hours with the only major operation being when I was 4 (the operation on my spine was obviously too minor to mention....). Even the symptoms were very different, I do not have photo-phobia, just an intense pressure in my head that makes closing my eyes feel more comfortable (even in the dark).

To end it he put a small addendum that said they thought I should not drive, and that was it - indefinite, even though I had told them it takes hours of feeling unwell before I get bad enough to blackout.

It was clear in hindsight the doctor did not read my medical history, nor care about my well being, the objective of the meeting was just to get me off the waiting list. The level of care given was abysmal, I have written two letters since but received no reply.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 07 August 2017

I am sorry to hear you have had a frustrating time. We would like to be able to help you with your concerns, could you please contact the PALS team at 01227 783145 or email us at ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net If you can provide all the necessary information we will be able to look into this on your behalf. Many thanks.

Sam gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent fast treatment in Minor Injuries.

Minor injuries
Took my 11yr old in on a Sunday evening after crashing at the skate park. No-one else in the waiting room, we were seen, examined & out in 20mins.
Waiting room was clean & bright. Staff were friendly, professional & efficient.
This was a brilliant service, I would have waited hrs in A&E.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 25 July 2017

Thank you for your kind feedback, it's great to hear you and your son had such a good experience.

Anonymous gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

relative sent to Invicta Ward for 'holding' from WHH

Relative under 50 years of age discharged from the William Harvey Hospital for ' holding ' at Canterbury as a non acute patient hurriedly found themselves in the discharge process once more.

The discharge proposed was to a care home for people aged 65 plus with dementia , in no way fit for purpose or relevant to the patients needs. No contact from the ward to next of kin re proposed second move out of area.

Patient extremely distressed as they were expecting to return home following their accident a week previously. Reps from the care home were scheduled to arrive at the patients bedside 12 noon on the same day as the discharge ' plan ' was spoken about for the first time.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 04 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 July 2017

I am very sorry to read about your experience. If you would like us to look into your concerns further, please contact Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net If you get the PALS answer phone, please leave a message and we will return your call.

Joel Mcnab gave Vascular surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My operation in Kent Ward

I am 67 years old man. 5th July 2017, I had a back lump remove operation, done in the Kent Ward at Kent and Canterbury Hospital. I have been moved to main recovery, there I was suffering from birthing lack and I thought I am going to die. The nurse that was responsible for my case did more than their best to save my life, they kept encouraging me all the time with their wide smile for more than three hours and the nurse's colleagues asked them many times to swap in order to go for lunch but the nurse refused to leave me, also I have asked them to go for lunch, but the nurse said no, they said we regard our patients like our family and we would not leave them until they recover. The nurse stayed with me until I getting better then accompanied me to my room in Kent Ward. There, the nurse had briefed the staff nurse all what happen in the main recovery. Then I have been advised to stay in the Ward overnight. I am very grateful to this nurse, they are very clever, very keen, very kind and very helpful. The nurse is a great example of nursing for a great hospital and great NHS in the World, also I am thankful to the consultant and whole the staff in the Kent Ward in Kent and Canterbury hospital.

Joel Mcnab
Patient of Kent Ward, 5/7/17

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 July 2017

We are so pleased to read your praise for the nurse who looked after you and your overall experience of the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. We are very grateful to you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback for the centre. We hope you are recovering well.

anan reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Big thank you to all the staff

I had to go day surgery to have a biopsy on my bladder, and I was very happy with the staff they are very friendly ( all of the staff), let you know what would happen, all my worries gone thank to the whole staff so please give them a big thank you to all the staff.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 11 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you for your kind praise about the care you have received. We are very grateful to you for taking the time to leave us feedback about our staff in the Day Surgery Centre.

Gill Neal gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Care Urology Visit

After my partner's catheter blocked and we had waited for 111 to answer phone for 48 minutes - I rang K&C ECC - they couldn't have been more helpful - they gave advice over the phone which helped until morning when we travelled over to the unit - once again first class service from the Urology Team there - many many thanks - you are all treasures not to be lost!!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you for your praise for the Urology team. I am so glad to know how supportive they were, making such a difference to your experience.

Anonymous gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital runs out of medication

I attended ambulatory care but was told that Pharmacy had run out of my medication! !! A complete disaster.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 18 July 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 July 2017

I am sorry to hear about your problem with medication. If you would like us to help further, please contact the PALS team on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net Thank you.