Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Anonymous gave Walk-in centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Treat the whole patient not just the injury

Where to begin... My elderly father who has recently been diagnosed with luekemia and is also taking warfarin suffered a massive bleed from a wound in his foot, blood literally squirting like a hose accross the room and up the walls. My mum phoned an ambulance and then me. When I arrived a first response unit were there and had applied a pressure bandage. They were nice enough but when my crying mother who was in shock said she was scared my father was going to die the response was 'well we all have to die sometime'. Yeah thanks for that really helpful.

Then the ambulance arrived two paramedics one proceeds to talk about themselves the whole time my father was loaded into the ambulance, I don't think they even asked his name, the other mute trainee was no help. Arrived at hospital where the nurse and ambulance staff are standing around talking over my dad who is laying on a stretcher below them, about menial crap whilst ignoring my dad. Doctor arrives spends 2 minutes with him the doctor can see by the look on my face I'm not impressed as I give the doctor key information which the doctor hasn't asked for like what drugs he's on etc. Then gets passed over to another nurse who was obviously very good at their job and managed to stop the bleeding, however the nurse didn't even look at my dads face just focused on the injury like they were a mechanic in kwik fit, so when I shouted at the nurse to stop because they hadn't noticed my dad was in absolute agony and required pain relief they were somewhat surprised. I am glad that I was there as I was the only friendly face who actually acknowledged my dad as a human being throughout the whole process. All of the staff who attended him that evening need to go on a course on how to treat the whole patient, not just the injury, if he had been on his own he would have been scared and in agony and not known what was going on. I am appalled and angry at how he was treated. I would give this hospital zero stars if possible it's absolutely awful.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 05 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 June 2016

I am truly sorry to learn about your father's experience of the emergency centre at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Please would you contact us so that we can take some more details as this should be looked into to ensure that we learn from this incident. Please ring the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314. If you get the answerphone, please leave a message so that they can get back to you. They commit to returning your call within 24 hours. I hope that your father is now on the road to recovery from this particular incident.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Distressing ordeal.

After a pervious bed experience at this unit I felt very nervous about returning their for further treatment. After explaining to the consultant about said bad experience (which was a biopsy), they seemed to be very understanding and put me at ease. However during the examination the consultant proceeded to attempt to take another biopsy without my prior consent or even discussing the matter with me.They literally just went and done it and when asked to stop they still made attempts to take a biopsy. I cannot say how upset and disappointed I am with the care I received, especially after expressing my previous bad experience and being lulled into a false sense of security and mutual understanding.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 June 2016

I am so sorry for the distress this has caused you. Please will you contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that we can take some details and look into this for you. PALS can be contacted on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314. If you get the answerphone, please leave a message and they will get back to you as soon as possible.

Sam Alexander gave General Surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best day out ever.

I had Pilonidal Sinus surgery yesterday and stayed in the Kent Ward. My room was better than places I have paid to stay at and the staff in both the Kent and Theatre Wards were lovelier than some of my friends. I'd move in if I could. Thanks all, your hard work and long hours are fully appreciated!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

rara.oap gave Vascular surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Telephone request for information

I phoned NHS secretary and a receptionist answered. They were brilliant, gave me all the information I needed and emailed me a copy of the consultants letter. Many thanks.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Anonymous gave Haematology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Warfarin Clinic

I have been attending this Clinic frequently for the last 5 years since we moved to Kent.
Throughout this time, all the nursing and auxillary staff have all been wonderful; kind, patient, friendly, cheerful, helpful and efficient. I cannot fault them at all. It is a pleasure to go there.
One constructive point. There is no way of getting a drink of water or better still, a cup of tea whilst waiting. Some older folk spend a lot of time there waiting for hospital transport and clinics can get busy. It would be excellent to provide something for patients. Other clinics have a tea trolley come round and/or a water machine and this is most welcome.
Thank you .

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

inverness2000 reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Great care for respiratory problem

I would like to say a big thank you to Dr and their team. I was admitted for mental health issues and a doctor noticed something else wrong. within 2 weeks I had had a chest x-ray an mri scan and an outpatients appointment and results. I have to thank the team for being so thorough and so quick to get these tests and results done. once again thank you for your hard work

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 2 stars

THEY CUT YOU OFF THE PHONE AGAIN AND AGAIN

Tried ringing through to appointments but you get cut off every time you call, I've heard this is not the only department at Canterbury that does this.

All I wanted to do is double check that my referral is being dealt with, and I wouldn't have to do this if the NHS were not so terrible with their admin, as I would trust them more.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Theresa gave Colorectal cancer services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy at Canterbury hospital

This was my first time at Canterbury having previously been to WIlliam Harvey for my procedures. I was very impressed with all the staff who treated me with respect. The atmosphere was friendly and dignified. All consultations were in private rooms (unlike WH where everything was discussed on the ward behind curtains). I would choose to come here again and would recommend it to others. Thank you.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 19 June 2016

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CDU/Taylor ward (cardiology)

I recently spent 2 nights in CDU followed by several more on Taylor Ward. A big thank you to the excellent nursing staff (including student nurses) who were incredibly busy and gave excellent care. However, there was a stark difference between communication in the two areas. In CDU I had to ask, ask, ask just to be told anything, and my visitor was more informed than me as to where I was being moved to. Complete opposite on Taylor ward, the nurses and doctors communicated everything in a timely, understandable and compassionate manner - what a difference it made to my levels of anxiety. Please, please, remember that in an environment like CDU your patients are desperate for any information. Even 'I don't know, but I will tell you as soon as I do' makes a huge difference. Thank you.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Never again

Posters up about communication and dignity. What a crock!
A lot of time being hidden by curtain and ignored by nurses, great attention from person doing food and drink.
Dignity, carrying your urine about in a bowl and leave it on the table in front of you for 15 minutes?
Not told any results on ward or explanation eg what do you want sample for? I hate that secrecy attitude.
Pre op assessment said I'd get transport home, turned out that was wrong information.
Dignity, no large size gowns so two fitted together leaving me naked and exposed down each side?
Given instructions after surgery, when surgery meant I couldn't write them down, no thought given to patient care. A person in the discharge lounge did that for me.
Refused spare dressings!! I was told if it gets wet see your GP. And if that's evening or weekend??? Is that really a good use of NHS resources?
No call button to summon nurse.
Given a post op leaflet to read instead of being talked through it.
Only told to watch for infection and bleeding so next day I was on to 111 about unexpected symptoms.

Medically the anaesthetist and surgery teams were great.
My first surgery on the NHS. A horrible experience, 20 minutes in I wanted to cancel and go home. I wouldn't willingly be treated in this unit again.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016