Check here for alerts

Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Patientlywaiting reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Renal unit team were fantastic

The whole team were fantastic. Compassionate caring considerate and highly professional in an emergency situation Thank you this was my first time with loved ones on Marlowe ward & made me proud of the NHS

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 04 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this. I hope your loved one returns to good health very soon.

Denise gave Oncology - Medical at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First experience o BSU

Following a routine mammogram, I was called for a follow-up appointment. I was very anxious. Everybody, from the receptionist to the medical team were so kind throughout the 3 hours I was there. Despite being very busy, they found time to explain every procedure and reassure me. I now have a couple of weeks awaiting the outcome. Truly hoping all is well, but know that if this is not the case, I feel that I can expect the very best the NHS has to offer - professional, but at all times caring people looking after me. Thank you so much.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 27 November 2016

Thank you very much indeed for letting us know that despite your understandable anxieties, all the staff were kind and helpful during your follow-up appointment. I do hope that all was well when you received your results,

Gina gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Elderly care

81 yr old father with dementia, not eaten or drunk for 5 days ( due to severe oral thrush )and sudden need to urinate due to a UTI. There were no facilities for toileting quickly except into a bottle with no-one to help resulting in an unnecessary accident. Patient was in the AMU for36 hours then transferred to Harbledown Ward. I was unable to get through on the telephone, waiting twice for more than 10 minutes. No one updated us on his condition. I rang at midnight and got through to the new Ward. They had no notes on his oral thrush and will update for the team tomorrow. That's nearly 2 days with no treatment for his most painful problem

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 27 November 2016

I am so sorry to hear about this - and please convey our sincere apologies to your father. This is most certainly not the level of care we would expect for our patients. I do hope that your father has now had all the correct treatment, but if you have any problems, please contact PALS (the Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net If you get the answerphone, please leave a message as the two PALS officers will be dealing with other calls at the time. They guarantee to get back to you as soon as possible.

Gina gave Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Harbledown Ward

Very pleasantly surprised when visiting my father at this dementia ward, spacious , clean and calm with plenty of staff.The staff were superb , they knew my dads personality, were joking with him and so caring. I met the Doctor who was thorough and his plan of future care was excellent

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 19 November 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 25 November 2016

Thank you for letting us know about your Dad's experience on the dementia ward. I am sure it was very reassuring to you too, that they were so caring and friendly, which would have made the experience so much more calm. It is good to know that a plan for his future care was provided to you. I hope all goes well for your father and yourself.

Martyn Jackson gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I have today 31/10/2016 been signed off.. brilliant.

I was most fortunate to have one particular member of staff administer my 6 month and twelve month check..what a lovely caring person...kind ...gentle...simply brilliant..Guys don't fear anything..you are in safe hands...totally professional...this member of staff is an amazing asset to an already well respected Urology Unit at The Kent and Canterbury Hospital.From the very first sign of a problem...the level of care I have experienced has been exemplary ...and for that I offer you a massive heartfelt thank you....

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 31 October 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 02 November 2016

Such excellent news! Thank you for letting us know that you have reached the end of your treatment and that all is now well. Thank you very much for your very kind comments about this member of staff.

Alison gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Treated with dignity and respect

Our mum passed away on mount McMaster ward on monday. The staff were brilliant with us and treated mum with such dignity and respect. The night staff in particular Sunday night did everything they could to support us and make mum comfortable . Dying in hospital had not been mums or our choice but the ward made a very difficult situation so much easier, making sure all our needs were met. They were so kind and caring it made a huge difference. What a great team , thank you so much

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 18 October 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 October 2016

I am so sorry to hear of your mother's death. Please accept our sincere condolences. Nevertheless, thank you so much for taking time to let us know about your experience of Mount McMaster ward at such a distressing time for you.

Rod Tarry gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Elderly relative

I am delighted Tto report that from the admission for assessment to the later discharge we witnessed a master class in health care. The check in was timely and courteous. The triage was rapid. The obs were handled sensitively with professionalism and good humour. The examinations likewise. The radiology was rapid access. Diagnosis was timely and well managed, aftercare instructions were clear and concise, medication arrived rapidly ,preceded by tea and snacks. It is patently obvious that this department is well led and staffed by professionals with a passion for delivering the best possible outcomes for their patients. Well done K&C

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 22 October 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you so much for letting us know about this super-efficiency! Having also accessed this service, I can personally vouch for everything you say!

Anonymous gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude staff who ignore you and your bad drug reactions

Have now got private health insurance to ensure i never have to put up with the NHS again. Nurses are incredibly rude and cold, and doctors are patronising, brash and even ruder. I had a number of bad drug reactions - none of these recorded by staff, and when I mentioned them I was ignored and the nurses tried to give me the drug regardless. Requests to nurses met with rolling of the eyes and sighing, I was moved bed twice and ward twice for no reason causing additional stress. I hated every moment and couldn't wait to leave. As a male I cried myself to sleep with loneliness every night as the staff were so horrible and rude to me in such a cold environment. None of the staff showed any care for my wellbeing. The Marlowe ward where I started was a lot better but then I was moved to the Clarke ward which was worse than what I imagine prison to be like. I never saw the same doctor more than once, and they never spared me more than 5 minutes of their time. Absolutely terrible. Appalled that my taxes go to this. Shameful!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 24 October 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 28 October 2016

I am truly sorry to learn about your experience. We need to look into this so that we can provide you with a proper apology. In the first instance, please would you contact PALS (the Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that they can take some details and advise you with regard to the complaints process. They can be telephoned on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net. Alternatively, you may wish to complete a complaint form via our website www.ekhuft.nhs.net.

ema75 reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

I have, unfortunately, developed a large and painful abscess in my left lower jaw and called Dentaline on Friday evening for care advice. The advisor I spoke to was extremely professional and suggested I should see the emergency dentist. An appointment was made and within an hour I was at the Kent & Canterbury filling in a medical health form. The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful and I was taken to the waiting area not long after arrival. Whilst in the waiting area outside the dental room, I could hear the previous patient being extremely abusive to the dentist and dental nurse. He left the room while he waited for the anasthetic to work but again became extremely abusive, using the most disgusting language. He then left of his own accord without any treatment.
I then had my turn in the chair and after asking if everyone was ok, the dentist diagnosed straight away that I had an abscess. I was prescribed antibiotics and advised to people had just gone through, they remained calm and professional. (I would like to make a suggestion that I really hope is listened to... get the dental room a panic button. It's a very isolated area and the outcome of that evening could have escalated with no way to call security).
Apart from the awful patient before me, the whole experience was excellent. The staff there are a credit to what they do. Please pass on my thanks. (And get the panic button! )

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 23 October 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 28 October 2016

Thank you for telling us about this incident; it must have been alarming for all concerned. We will pass this onto Dentaline so that they can consider your suggestion. However, they will have an escalation process in place should there be difficulties with any patients (who may be acting out of character owing to the paint that they are in sadly). I hope that your mouth is much more comfortable now and that the abscess area is healing

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

From Op to Aftercare

I arrived at 7.30am for my FESS surgery, the care l received was fantastic. I was home by 1.30pm & painfree. My recuperation has been swift & remains painfree. Many thanks to all the staff, theatre staff & surgeon for taking care of me.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 October 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 28 October 2016

This is excellent news - thank you very much for letting us know. I hope that your condition has now been totally alleviated.