Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Roy murphy reviewed Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital

A day visitor

We attended with 80 year old mother to day centre. Staff (and porters and servo staff) were amazing. Kind and helpful in directing and assisting us. Exemplary.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 12 July 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 18 July 2016

Thank you very much for letting us know about your mother's good experience of the Day Centre and that all the staff were equally kind and helpful.

Ah1981 reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

The nurses are the most cheerful i've seen!

My father in law is currently on treble ward, receiving excellent care from a very patient-centered team. The nurses are the most cheerful I've seen and very helpful. One nurse, name unknown, but she has dyed blonde hair has been so helpful and informative to me. I hope they all know we appreciate them.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 22 July 2016

Thank you so much for your kind message. I am going to 'cut and paste' it into an email to send to the ward manager. I am sure you will make everyone's day! I hope your father in law will be home soon.

Mrs Hilary Lilley gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Audiology Department - Hearing aid assessment

This is not a complaint, merely my observations. I visited the hospital on Friday 22nd July 2016 with my father. He had been experiencing a reduction in his hearing and needed to have his hearing aids adjusted or replaced. He is 94. I have attended appointments with him in the past and have found the service to be mostly helpful and efficient. However, it came to my attention on this latest visit that the staff i observed were not really taking into account that their patients had hearing difficulties! The member of staff my father saw spent most of the time with their back to my father. Hence, without his hearing aids in, my father was not able to lip read and could not therefore understand what the member of staff was saying or answer any of the questions! I found this incredible given that hearing impairments were the main reason for visiting. I also observed an elderly man being taken behind a screen for some tests - the nurse talked the whole time with their back to him. Basic education is needed here! Patients should be treated in line with their needs the whole time. I am an educator and find it astonishing that people with such poor attitudes towards their patients should be allowed to continue without better basic training. Please do contact me if you would like some free advice in relation to this matter.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 23 July 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 July 2016

I am sorry to learn about this because it is certainly not the experience we would want for any of our patients, let alone people who are hard of hearing as it is thoughtless and impolite. Your message will be fed back to the department. I hope that your father's hearing aids have been correctly adjusted now and that his hearing is properly restored.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CDU/Taylor ward (cardiology)

I recently spent 2 nights in CDU followed by several more on Taylor Ward. A big thank you to the excellent nursing staff (including student nurses) who were incredibly busy and gave excellent care. However, there was a stark difference between communication in the two areas. In CDU I had to ask, ask, ask just to be told anything, and my visitor was more informed than me as to where I was being moved to. Complete opposite on Taylor ward, the nurses and doctors communicated everything in a timely, understandable and compassionate manner - what a difference it made to my levels of anxiety. Please, please, remember that in an environment like CDU your patients are desperate for any information. Even 'I don't know, but I will tell you as soon as I do' makes a huge difference. Thank you.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to give us this really helpful feedback. I am pleased you received good care with us, but completely take on board your comments around communication. I will make sure we share that across all of our teams to make sure we keep people properly informed.
I do hope you are recovering well,
Best regards,

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Never again

Posters up about communication and dignity. What a crock!
A lot of time being hidden by curtain and ignored by nurses, great attention from person doing food and drink.
Dignity, carrying your urine about in a bowl and leave it on the table in front of you for 15 minutes?
Not told any results on ward or explanation eg what do you want sample for? I hate that secrecy attitude.
Pre op assessment said I'd get transport home, turned out that was wrong information.
Dignity, no large size gowns so two fitted together leaving me naked and exposed down each side?
Given instructions after surgery, when surgery meant I couldn't write them down, no thought given to patient care. A person in the discharge lounge did that for me.
Refused spare dressings!! I was told if it gets wet see your GP. And if that's evening or weekend??? Is that really a good use of NHS resources?
No call button to summon nurse.
Given a post op leaflet to read instead of being talked through it.
Only told to watch for infection and bleeding so next day I was on to 111 about unexpected symptoms.

Medically the anaesthetist and surgery teams were great.
My first surgery on the NHS. A horrible experience, 20 minutes in I wanted to cancel and go home. I wouldn't willingly be treated in this unit again.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 18 July 2016

You had a really poor experience and I am truly sorry to hear about it. Please would you contact the Patient Experience Team as we really must look into this. They can be contact at ekh-tr.patientexperienceteam@nhs.net

Richardson88 gave Gynaecology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy with Biopsy.

I had an appointment booked for a Colposcopy at K&C last Friday, after an abnormal result following a smear.
I was quite mervous about the appointment, as we all know, smears arent particularly dignified at the best of times and I knew this would be more thorough.
I arrived for my appointment and was seen within about ten minutes, which I was pleased with.
I went into a private consulting room with the consultant who explained to me a bit more in depth about why I was there and what it all meant.
I found this really helpful and it made me feel like a patient and not just a body.
I was then instructed to go through to a separate room, where the procedure was undertaken.
All seemed clean and tidy and the Nurse was lovely, friendly and reassuring.
The consultant then joined us (I liked the fact that they knocked on the door before entering) and performed the procedure.
The consultant explained every step to me and informed me that they would take a biopsy there.
The whole experience was far less embarrassing than I had expected and completely pain free!
The whole team were professional, but also caring and considerate, I wouldn't be worried or concerned if I were to have to go back in the future.
As pleasant an experience as it could be, thanks to them all.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 28 June 2016

Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2016

Thank you so much for posting this kind feedback. It always heartening to hear when we have treated a patient with kindness, dignity and respect.
I do hope you treatment continues to go well for you.

Patient Opinion Logo

David s gave General Surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment and fantastic care.

I had surgery to remove my gallbladder. From the pre-op to the surgery the treatment was exceptional. The entire team on the Kent ward treated me with the utmost dignity and respect. I was kept informed at every step of the way and although somewhat nervous the entire team put me at total ease from my admission, through to the preparation and the operation itself to the recovery and discharge. I could not have asked for better care and support. I would like to thank the entire team for being so professional and caring throughout my stay.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 09 July 2016

Dear David
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a caring experience and do hope you continue to recover well.
Best wishes

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Walk-in centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Treat the whole patient not just the injury

Where to begin... My elderly father who has recently been diagnosed with luekemia and is also taking warfarin suffered a massive bleed from a wound in his foot, blood literally squirting like a hose accross the room and up the walls. My mum phoned an ambulance and then me. When I arrived a first response unit were there and had applied a pressure bandage. They were nice enough but when my crying mother who was in shock said she was scared my father was going to die the response was 'well we all have to die sometime'. Yeah thanks for that really helpful.

Then the ambulance arrived two paramedics one proceeds to talk about themselves the whole time my father was loaded into the ambulance, I don't think they even asked his name, the other mute trainee was no help. Arrived at hospital where the nurse and ambulance staff are standing around talking over my dad who is laying on a stretcher below them, about menial crap whilst ignoring my dad. Doctor arrives spends 2 minutes with him the doctor can see by the look on my face I'm not impressed as I give the doctor key information which the doctor hasn't asked for like what drugs he's on etc. Then gets passed over to another nurse who was obviously very good at their job and managed to stop the bleeding, however the nurse didn't even look at my dads face just focused on the injury like they were a mechanic in kwik fit, so when I shouted at the nurse to stop because they hadn't noticed my dad was in absolute agony and required pain relief they were somewhat surprised. I am glad that I was there as I was the only friendly face who actually acknowledged my dad as a human being throughout the whole process. All of the staff who attended him that evening need to go on a course on how to treat the whole patient, not just the injury, if he had been on his own he would have been scared and in agony and not known what was going on. I am appalled and angry at how he was treated. I would give this hospital zero stars if possible it's absolutely awful.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 05 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 June 2016

I am truly sorry to learn about your father's experience of the emergency centre at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Please would you contact us so that we can take some more details as this should be looked into to ensure that we learn from this incident. Please ring the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314. If you get the answerphone, please leave a message so that they can get back to you. They commit to returning your call within 24 hours. I hope that your father is now on the road to recovery from this particular incident.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Distressing ordeal.

After a pervious bed experience at this unit I felt very nervous about returning their for further treatment. After explaining to the consultant about said bad experience (which was a biopsy), they seemed to be very understanding and put me at ease. However during the examination the consultant proceeded to attempt to take another biopsy without my prior consent or even discussing the matter with me.They literally just went and done it and when asked to stop they still made attempts to take a biopsy. I cannot say how upset and disappointed I am with the care I received, especially after expressing my previous bad experience and being lulled into a false sense of security and mutual understanding.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 June 2016

I am so sorry for the distress this has caused you. Please will you contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) so that we can take some details and look into this for you. PALS can be contacted on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314. If you get the answerphone, please leave a message and they will get back to you as soon as possible.

Sam Alexander gave General Surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best day out ever.

I had Pilonidal Sinus surgery yesterday and stayed in the Kent Ward. My room was better than places I have paid to stay at and the staff in both the Kent and Theatre Wards were lovelier than some of my friends. I'd move in if I could. Thanks all, your hard work and long hours are fully appreciated!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 18 July 2016

Thank you for letting us know about your surgery and then the stay on Kent Ward. I do hope the wound heals quickly and that you are not in too much long-term discomfort. Thank you for all your kind comments about the staff.