Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Jacqui gave General Surgery at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to Kent Ward and all the team

I booked into Kent ward on the 10 May for surgery.

I would like to offer a big thank you for the treatment that I received. At all times I was treated with kindness and kept fully informed about the process involved. It really was five star treatment. Thank you so much

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 15 May 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 15 May 2016

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the staff on Kent ward. I hope you are recovering well from your procedure. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

inverness2000 reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Credit where it's due

I would like to give a big thank you to sally who really went out of her way to help get my MRI scan results for me in time for my appointment on friday. She kept me informed from the day I e-mailed and followed it through. Thank you once again sally you deserve credit where its due.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 23 April 2016

Thanks you for letting us know that Sally helped in getting your MRI scan results in a timely fashion. I hope the appointment you had was succesful. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this.

Pam gave Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stress free cataract operation

I just wanted to say what an amazing team you have in your ophthalmic suite my husband came today for a cataract operation and from being greeted by a staff member who fully explained everything ,administered drops and made him feel completely at ease to being taken by a staff member to the operating theatre whose sense of humour is ideal for all his patients .The whole experience was stress free and he even enjoyed tea and biscuits when he had come back from surgery .Thankyou everyone .

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 23 April 2016

I am really pleased to learn about your husband's experience of his eye operation. Good humour is often good medicine as well! I do hope that he is now fully recovered from his procedure.

Cliff Sullivan gave Orthopaedics at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent amputation

I had a operation on 16/04/16 and would just like to say how good my treatment was. I can't say a bad thing about this hospital or the staff, wonderful!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 23 April 2016

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for letting us know. I hope that you recover well, although I can completely understand that things may be difficult for you in the future.

relieved mommy reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Our young daughter was referred to the Children's Assessment Centre in...

Our young daughter was referred to the Children's Assessment Centre in Canterbury for cognitive neuropsychological testing. We met the doctor twice: the first time, they spent over an hour taking a very careful family history from us and watching our daughter as she played. The second time, they administered an IQ test to our daughter. Both times, we were so impressed.
We were very nervous about the process and what it might show about our child. We were also worried that our child would not enjoy the process or would feel stressed by the testing. The doctor was kind to us and our daughter, careful to explain the strengths and weaknesses of the testing and the results obtained, considerate of our anxieties and extremely good at connecting with our child. In fact, we can't say enough good things about them.
Our daughter liked the doctor almost immediately and enjoyed the testing experience. The doctor took the time to score the IQ test immediately, while we waited, so that our anxieties could be addressed quickly. They made time to explain the results to us and to answer our questions fully. They produced an incredibly useful, insightful, and comprehensive report that we are happy to share in its entirety with our child's school. It's rare to find a practitioner of that academic and professional caliber who can also generate trust so quickly and comprehensively.
We felt guided through the process and we were left with a lot of useful information, good recommendations, and with a good feeling about our experience. We feel that any family that this doctor works with is lucky, as we certainly were.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 23 April 2016

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know about your, and your daughter's, experience of the Children's Assessment Centre. I am pleased to learn that she had such a thorough, and sensitive assessment. I hope that this has helped to find a suitable pathway for your daughter's future. Best wishes to you all.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Colposcopy - did not feel involved

I have attended the colposcopy unit twice following an abnormal smear.

First time I was given a calm and reassuring explanation by the nurse, their examination was well explained and I felt very much part of what was happening.

The second time I was seen by a doctor. I was given no choice in the gender of the doctor. In the pre consultation, the doctor gave me the impression they were gong to carry out a biopsy before they examined me. I had not expected this - the letter did not say this might be an option.

In the procedure, which physically was carried out well, the doctor described what they were seeing but not what it meant. The doctor carried out a biopsy. I was given no choice or option. I was due to fly on a international long haul later in the day and I was not able to mention this. I felt completely powerless and 'done to. I had to leave distressed and then call back and speak to the accompanying nurse to try to make sense of what had happened, what would happen next and what the outcomes might be.

Whilst it is fine to say 'have you any questions' repeatedly, when you are a woman lying there being examined intimately it is very hard to think straight when the procedure had already been determined.

Not at all happy.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 03 March 2016

Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 March 2016

Thank you for getting in touch and providing us with this feedback. I am so sorry to hear of this distressing experience. If you would like us to look into your concerns please email me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net and I will ask the team to make contact with you and talk you through any unanswered questions.
I am so sorry that we didn't take the time we should have to explain what was happening and give you a chance to think through what options there were for you. I do hope you are now recovering well.
Best regards,
Sally

Anonymous gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Answer your phones!

My mother is terminal and is shortly coming home.
I live in Whitstable and for some stupid reason they have put her in Margate so her friends cannot visit.
When I try to contact the ward by phone I get no response.
The level of consideration towards family and friends is a downright disgrace!

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 08 March 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 10 March 2016

I am so very sorry indeed to hear about this. Please contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 and we will see what can be done.

Philip Thompson gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care in Day Surgery.

I attended the Day Surgery unit on 10/03.2016 for a knee operation.
From arrival to departure all staff were most polite, professional and worked well as a team.
It is good to see nurses with a sense of humour in the current climate and all working happily. This does reflect onto the patient especially if they are a little apprehensive.
Very well done to all staff on the unit and thank you for your care.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 11 March 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 14 March 2016

Thank you for your really kind comments following your knee surgery on Thursday 10 March. You are right in pointing out that a little good humour and kindness makes what could be a stressful situation so much more pleasant. I hope that your knee recovers quickly and that you are soon out of pain.

Graeme Sergeant gave Cardiology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Ultrsound Department/Cardiology

I attended an appointment at the Ultrasound department,next door to Taylor Ward for an 08.30 appointment but the staff carrying out the ultrasound did not start till 09.00.So when I went in to have the wrong ultrasound done,the department was already running late.The department is dirty and more information from the staff behind reception would be a good idea.There is a lack of seats in the waiting area and the whole place needs sorting out.It is a terrible place to visit or be treated in.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 14 March 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 14 March 2016

I am so sorry to learn about your poor experience of the Ultrasound department at Kent and Canterbury Hospital. I will make sure that I tell them about your comments and if you would like some further feedback, please contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314. Please leave a message if you get the answerphone as they will be dealing with other callers at the time. If you prefer you can email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net or complete an online form via our website www.ekhuft.nhs.net (click on the relevant 'C' on the front page).

Anonymous gave Walk-in centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional care from CDU doctors, nurses and staff

I would like to thank the doctor and their team of nursing staff and all persons involved in the running of the CDU for the outstanding professional and dedicated care given to my wife Margaret during her three days in the unit. Staff not involved in the medical side also were so caring and professional too and she felt very at ease.All too often we are being told by TV and newspapers unjustified criticisms.All you wonderful dedicated people just bear in mind that the majority of us are so grateful to you all and please ignore all these people who do not work shifts and spend their weekends at home.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 26 March 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 31 March 2016

Many thanks for your kind and supportive comments - it is most encouraging to hear of the care and professionalism your wife experienced in CDU which is a busy department.