Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Telephone: 01227 766877
Address: Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG
Website: http://www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/kentandcanterbury

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Moved pillar to post.. Staff unsure.. 5 hours wait

I am very disappointed with the service I received at this hospital. The nurse was insulting and patronising. I asked them what was going on and they just looked at me and laughed. I then got moved to a stall outside the department then called back in because they couldn't decide if I was staying or going. I then got left for an hour without any information just laid there. I explained that I have a daughter at home to deal with and they just go then. I said I would go to my local gp. I now have gone private. Very poor :-(

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 01 September 2015

I am sorry to learn about your experience. We need to investigate what has gone wrong here. We aim for all our staff to be attentive and helpful and it seems that you did not get this level of experience. Please will you contact PALS on 01227 864314 or 01227 783145 or via email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net or by completing a complaint form which you can access via our website so that we can take this forward

Anonymous gave Oncology - Medical at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Surgery ....prostate operation 16th July 2015

With regards to a Robotic Prostatectomy that was undertaken on 16th July of this year. We should like to thank the Surgeon, whose skill and expertise in this field has resulted in what was a very anxious time 4 months ago , to one of complete faith in the hands of these excellent surgeons and hopefully to a future free of cancer.

Special thanks goes out to the whole team at Clarke ward... where we as a family along with the patient were treated with respect , care and professionalism throughout.
And In particular the Anaesthetist .who worked with patience and empathy

We wish the Kent and Canterbury Hospital well in all its undertakings in the future and hope that it will go from strength to strength.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 30 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the Surgical team and all the staff on Clarke ward. It is good to know that you were treated so well. I hope that you are now fully recovered.

Sophie Roberts gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to ECC/Minor injuries

I needed to visit the unit on Sunday morning. I was dealt with in a totally professional way, excellent care was given. The team worked well together and inspired a lot of confidence. Thank you so much - the NHS is a truly wonderful thing which although has its difficulties and challenges, is generally unappreciated which is a great shame when you receive care to this standard.

ECC is not listed in the department list, so I have selected "don't know."

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Emergency Department. It is good to know that you were dealt with in such professional manner. Thank you for letting us know.

Andrew Roberts reviewed Neurology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital

My first hospital stay in seventy-one years

I was admitted at the end of June to Treble Ward at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital for a six day stay at the request of my excellent neurologist. Some fifteen months ago I was diagnosed by them as having a incurable auto immune disease called Myasthenia Gravis and I have been following at the “conventional” drug treatment programme to control the disease. Unfortunately the disease failed to fully respond to this and my neurologist had me admitted to Treble Ward to undertake a course of Intravenous Immunoglobulin Treatment. In seventy-one years, I have never been in hospital overnight. My neurologist fully explained to me the risks associated with the treatment and went on to say that the Treble Ward was the very best location that they knew to have this treatment undertaken. They went on to say that the medical team in the ward were exceptionally qualified for the treatment I needed to have.
Some three days later, I was admitted to the Treble Ward administration team. From the moment I arrived, it was very clear to me that the ward was dealing with patients who needed intensive levels of nursing care. My wife was able to stay with me throughout the admission process and the nursing staff from sister through to student nurses all said hello. I was soon seen by the duty neurologist and ‘routine’ tests then followed ahead of the starting of the treatment the next day.
At every stage of my stay, I cannot praise all the medical staff highly enough; as a seventy-one year old wuss, they were simply fantastic, caring and very professional. Above all, they always were cheerful and possessed a great sense of humour. My infusion was not without risk and the care that was taken by all those treating me was clear to see. At every stage of the treatment, things were fully explained to me and repeated to my wife when she visited me.
Once I had my first infusion I then settled into ward life and then became very aware of the other things that make a hospital stay; the ward was very clean and a ward cleaner was around all day time. The shared “facilities” were well used but kept immaculate. I had heard so many bad things about hospital food, they simply did not apply to Treble Ward, the catering staff were brilliant. The food on offer was both nutritious and had enough variety to allow me a good choice.
The nursing staff in Treble Ward were simply fantastic, the ward sister very quickly agreed to me self medicating myself (that involves twenty-one tablets and an injection each day) and they insured that all the “routine” daily tests required by my neurologist and my diabetician happened exactly to time. Considering that the ward had seventeen other patients, all of whom had more nursing needs than me, that was brilliant. The treatment so far had done the trick. Well done to my neurologist and Treble Ward.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 19 August 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

I'm sorry to learn about your diagnosis, but delighted to hear about the good treatment you had on Treble Ward. As you say, it is a very busy ward, but the staff are all very experienced and dedicated. It is also good to hear that the food you had was tasty and nutritious. Best wishes for your future health, hoping that the disease is now well controlled.

Cynth gave Cardiology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful hospital

This week, after developing chest pains I was taken to Kent & Canterbuy hospital and I had to spend a night in the Clinical Decisions Unit. I could not fault the care from all the nurses and doctors. In fact from the time I reached the hospital the care was wonderful. Long live our NHS and a huge thank you to everyone there who helped me.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

Thank you for your very kind comments about CDU. I was sorry to learn about your chest pains and hope that you have fully recovered.

Anonymous gave Haematology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Floor maps needed

Why is there no map to guide people from main door to various departments ? Relatives wasted precious visiting time and energy, walking unnecessarily, looking for the designated area. Other Trusts can supply this information. Why not Kent and Canterbury ?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 15 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

I am sorry to learn that you had problems finding the designated area I can completely understand your frustration about this. This will be taken up with our Estates Department andi it would be helpful if you would contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01227 864314 or 01227 783145 or email ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net to let them know which door you entered by.

dipsodave gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Assessment of injuries after bicycle accident

I walked in to the Minor Injuries unit a few days after falling off my bike, was in quite a lot of pain and was assessed by a very proficient and effective Practice Nurse - all other staff involved in the process were very efficient and kind. Blood samples taken - no pain or bruising; X-rays taken and because of complicaions with a lung problem I was transferred to the William Harvey hospital in Ashford.
Thanks very much to all the staff at K & C for their help, kindness and consideration.

Dave Seddon

Please note there is no option to select Minor Injuries dept in section 4 below

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 26 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

Dear Mr Seddon. I'm sorry to hear about you falling from your bike and the ensuing pain, but glad to learn that you had such thorough care and attention. I do hope the soreness and bruising soon goes. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Ophthalmology consultation

My consultant gave me a full consultation as to what the state of my eyes were and prescribed the necessary medication with all due care and attention.

I was asked to return in 3 months but the administration has as yet made no appointment.
It is a pity that the excellent medical attention is put at risk by poor administration.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 24 August 2015

Thank you for your kind comments about the consultation you had. There are currently some problems with appointments for Ophthalmology. Please will you contact PALS either by completing a form via our website, by telephoning 01227 864314 or 01227 783145, or by email direct at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net PALS will do their best to expedite your appointment.

Anonymous gave Haematology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kent Haemophilia Centre

I cannot praise this department and their staff enough. The work they do is amazing and the support they have given myself and my children is second to none. I cannot thank them enough and am surprised they do not have more positive reviews. Huge thank you to everybody there. Big thank you to my doctor and their staff.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 21 July 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

Thank you for providing such a positive and glowng review for the Haematology staff. It is good to hear that you have such splendid support. I hope all goes well for you and your children.

daniel baker gave Neurology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

treble ward very good

i have been on treble ward twice in past three mths .very good personal care ,polite freindly staff .very good with people learning disabilty .i had very good stay at this hosptial and would recommed it to any one.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 15 June 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

That's great! Thank you for letting us know.