Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Mrs Suitably Underwhelmed reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

My father was admitted to Kent and Canterbury hospital on Wednesday 10th May...

My father was admitted to Kent and Canterbury hospital on Wednesday 10th May 2017 by ambulance when he collapsed at home and my mother called for help. They responded very swiftly and I was able to speak to one of the paramedics on the phone who told me he was going to be taken to hospital. Unfortunately I live a three hour drive away so I needed clear information as to how serious his condition was. The paramedic said "well he's still here" to my question on if it was life threatening and suggested I phoned the hospital an hour later.
On the first time of calling the hospital I was put through to "Resus" and was told me he had a chest infection and pneumonia and was waiting for a consultant to see him. The second time I called about 4. 45pm and was put through to the operator after the extension number given to me by Resus didn't work and was put through to AMU. The staff member in AMU was extremely rude and dismissive and refused to give me any information on my fathers condition even when I explained how far away I live and that I also needed to give my mother an update. All they said was that they couldn't tell me anything and neither could anyone else. I feel this is ridiculous as for all I know he could be dying and I need to get there straight away or I can take a bit of time to make a strategic plan of how to support my mother and father as well as dealing with other commitments rather than making a knee jerk reaction and rushing to the hospital. Also this is at odds of being given information from someone in Resus.
This is completely different to the experience I had with my father in law who was admitted for a triple heart bypass to the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham where both myself and husband could phone whenever we wished to get updates from the nurse caring from him in the intensive care unit or, later when he returned to the ward.
I feel this interaction did not meet the hospital's values of "people feel cared for as individuals" - I felt they spoke to me like a piece of dirt on their shoe, "people feel safe, reassured and involved" - I don't at all feel reassured, "people feel teamwork, trust and respect sit at the heart of everything we do" - I certainly did not feel respected by them and they did not I still me with trust and "people feel confident we are making a difference".
Fortunately as I am typing this a doctor phoned to give me an update and so I now know more information and can make an informed decision on the best course of action. The doctor did also say that only doctors can give certain information. With the pressure on the nhs as it is it seems a bit ironic that even more doctors time will be taken up with speaking to concerned relatives when this could be dealt with by a suitably qualified nurse. I am hoping that my conversation with this nurse was recorded so it can be reviewed and if it is dreamed necessary further training given to this member of staff.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 10 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 May 2017

Thank you so much for contacting us and giving us this important feedback. I am so sorry for the interaction you had with the nursing staff in AMU. I will ask Matron Paula Knights to share this posting with the staff so that they understand the importance of courtesy and giving relevant information to worried families. I am so sorry that this added to your stress.
once again, thank you for letting us know.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't ask for more

I went to hospital after being informed by 111 to go up in the middle of the night. The computers were all down due to the hack but the doctors still saw me quite quickly. Got everything done and checked swiftly and everyone was very friendly. Thank you NHS!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I will make sure the staff receive this.
I hope you continue to make a good recovery and are feeling better.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Pharmacy available on-site at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Pharmacy

I felt I had to write a review of the service I received at the Kent and Canterbury pharmacy. I arrived on a Saturday morning to drop a prescription in for my daughter. Very helpful staff who said they had everything in stock and would get it ready straight away. Normally we have a problem with certain items being available for her condition.
I am very concerned that if the downgrade/ closure goes ahead for this hospital then then only equivalent service, even for just obtaining medicines, is over 15 miles in both directions!
She used to be seen in Canterbury outpatients but now has to travel to Ashford who didn't have the medicines in stock and the waiting time at that pharmacy was over two hours!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 21 May 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Philip Thompson gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class care in Urgent care centre.

Attended the Urgent care centre last week with my brother who was feeling unwell with some type of "cardiac pain".
From booking in very speedily to being seen by an Emergency nurse Practitioner took only fifteen minutes.
An E.C.G. was performed along with vital signs observations.
Referred to the Medical team and seen quickly by a very reassuring Registrar.Further tests and Xray were then taken.
All staff displayed professionalism and kindness during our stay, the unit was very busy with patients and not one staff member showed signs of tension, which is very reassuring when you are waiting for a diagnosis in this situation.
We were also kindly given a drink and snack pack which was very gratefully received!
Thank you to all the staff in the unit.
Follow up care will be carried out as an out patient.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments about the prompt care your brother received in ECC and the reassurance this gave both of you. Our best wishes to your brother for his follow up care

Darcy's mum gave Child health care services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency bloods test for 5 year old

After being told by the doctor that my daughter who has an suspected kidney infection needed a blood test doing urgently today and being sent out with a form to go to William Harvey Hospital, i was then informed by PADUA at the William Harvey Hospital that they could not do a blood test until the 10th of May (19 days wait)!

I then contacted the Royal Victoria Hospital at Folkestone only to be told they will not do blood tests on children under 7!

After going back to the doctors and explaining the situation the doctors then managed to get me an appointment at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital children's Dolphin Ward.

The staff there were excellent. One staff member especially is an absolute credit to them and explained when we needed to be there so we didn't miss the deadline and have to wait untill Monday.

I can not fault them at all, they were welcoming, kind, well organised and made my scared 5 year old at ease when they took her blood, so much so, she didn't even know it had been done until it was over. The Easter egg reward was the icing on the cake for her.

Thank you Dolphin Ward at Kent And Canterbury Hospital, you do great work and made sure my daughter got the care she need in a timely fashion when when others couldn't.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Thank you so much for your posting. I am sorry to hear about the initial delay you experienced but please that all was well in the end.

DGS gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 3 stars

No pick up from MRI Appointments

I have been instructed to arrange for an MRI scan on this number 01227766877. Dispite calling the number over the last couple of hours eight times so far and following the voice prompt ask for the MRI scanning dept the number just rings for between 2 - 10 mins and then cuts you off. This is very frustrating and I only have a limited window to arrange the appoint prior to my prostrate biopsy on 19th May as I fly out of the country on 29th Apr and return on 15th May 17. I will continue to try and arrange this appointment but the booking system is current,y not fit for service in its current state.

Many thanks

David

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 24 April 2017

Dear David
I am so sorry to hear about this unacceptable experience. Please email me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net and I will put you in touch with the a person who can sort this out for you. I am so sorry about the delay.

Patient Opinion Logo

Cupcake gave Child health care services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dolphin ward to the rescue!

One very frightened and needle phobic child needing blood tests .
As before wonderful and patient staff were able to obtain the sample in a very professional and pain free manner.Big thanks to staff nurse and all the team.
You are a really good team.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 24 April 2017

Thank you so much for this lovely feedback. I do hope all is going well now.

Anonymous gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Playground Accident

My 3 year old daughter had an accident at nursery (minor head injury).

Took her to Kent and Canterbury, she was seen straight away and the care was amazing.

The nurse was brilliant. We named the teddy bear Lolli and my daughter is happily at home with her lollipop and Lolli the bear.

Thank you NHS, never a bad word to be said from me.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words. I do hope Lolli the bear and your family are doing well now.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Nursing at its best

My mum was rushed into the K&C following a major stroke so I have been visiting her for many hours per day on the Kingston Ward for the last six weeks. During that time I found every member of staff to be kind, caring, respectful of patients, their relatives and of other members of staff. In the day to day activities of the ward you could see a real sense of team work amongst all of them, from the catering assistants, the nurses, the Ward sister and the different specialities. The desire to do everything possible to try and help my mum to recover some of her faculties and make her stay in hospital as untraumatic as possible was evident. I am sure that the high standard of professionalism is due to the doctor, who led by example - their calm and caring demeanour and excellent inter personal skills when dealing with staff, patients and their families is the prime reason why their is such good team spirit on the ward and the common desire to achieve the best service for those in their care. I had dealings with so many staff during this time that I can't give individual names in case I forget one so please all accept my heartfelt thanks for the wonderful job you do within the frustrating environment of the public sector.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I will make sure the staff on the ward receive this too. I am so pleased the team have cared for your mother so well and wish you all the very best as recovery continues.

Patient Opinion Logo

DoLlysfaen Neville gave Urgent care centre at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An extremely happy patient

I was extremely satisfied with the care I received from Dr and team when I was admitted to the Urgent care centre and as a outpatient. I can't thank them enough for the care I received. Thank you

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

Thank you so much for you kind words. I do hope you are feeling better and making a good recovery.