Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Andrew Roberts gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My first day care stay

I have an incurable acute autoimmune disease the treatment that is being medically supervised by my excellent Consultant Neurologist. In early December 2015, I had a consultation with them to review the progress that I had made in managing the disease and they advised me that I should have a further course of intravenous immunoglobulin treatment and suggested that the next course of treatment could be carried out in the Day Care Unit and that this would be arranged as a matter of urgency.
Just before Christmas I was telephoned by the duty Ward Sister in the Ambulatory Care Unit (the day care centre) to sort out when I could come in for the infusion. They were very careful to explain what was involved and told me what I needed to have with me and that the treatment should take no longer than four days. The very next day I had a call confirming the precise date and agreeing with me the best time to come in. The way that this was handled gave me great confidence in the professional way in which I was to be looked after.
When I arrived at the Ambulatory Care Unit some ten minutes ahead of my appointment time, a very friendly and efficient receptionist who quickly processed me. I had just sat down when the nurse who I had spoken to before Christmas introduced themself and took me into the ward itself and introduced me to the same Sister who I had spoken to before. They then thoroughly explained to me everything that was going to be carried out.
I cannot speak highly enough of the compassion, professionalism and care shown by the nursing staff, they also showed a very human side with a good line of humour leaving me the patient very relaxed and confident that I was going to be very well looked after. The nurses in the team were meticulous in monitoring my condition throughout my stay.
The ward Sister was proactive in managing my treatment, just before my leaving the ward after my first infusion; the staff slightly changed the infusion quantities saving a day.
The rooms were clean and clearly well maintained despite the high volume of walk in patients that were using the facilities. I had a good light lunch, which had been carefully matched to my diabetes and the twenty odd tablets and injection that In need to do. Everything fitted around my needs with plenty of water, tea and coffee on offer.
As a retired professional and a former reviewer (examiner) of other professionals, I am well able to comment one particular element of my stay. This was the training of nursing students attached to the unit. Given the demands made on the Sisters running the ward, the time and care they took to run through with the student nurse what was being done, pointing out both good and bad practise and why things were done in a particular way was very impressive, the mentoring done was of the very highest standard.
I hope that this gives any other patient that is to undergo treatment in the Ambulatory care Unit the confidence that they will be well looked after.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 08 January 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 January 2016

Thank you so much for providing us with the details of the care that you had recently. From what you relate, it seems that yor condition had been properly monitored and the treatment you had was timely and helpful. I am glad to learn that many aspects of your care, including the cleanliness of the facilities, were so good. I agree with you that good humour and kindness goes a long way to providing a reassuring and calm environment. Thank you for letting us know about the compassion and professionalism mof the nursing staff. Thank you also for commenting so favourably about the training being provided at the time. This is especially good to hear. Finally, thank you also for letting us know that your dietary needs were so well catered for. I hope that your recent treatment keeps you in good health.

Anonymous gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

An early morning in A & E........

i arrived at A & E at appx. 0100 with my wife and daughter attending. I was put in a side room presumably to avoid cross-contamination. I had an ECG and a blood sample taken by a nurse. I did not see another nurse (let alone a Doctor) until 0815. Is it common policy to abandon patients in this way, without an occasional check of their vital signs? My daughter asked for a Doctor several times but was told that all the Doctors were elsewhere "on emergencies"

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 09 January 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 January 2016

I am so sorry to learn that you felt abandoned - someone should have checked on you from time to time, not the least, to update you with regard to progress. Sometimes emergency situations do draw our staff away from being able to provide the immediate care that we would wish for all patients, but I trust that you had the necessary treatment in due course and that you are now on the road to recovery. Please accept our apologies for what must have been a frustrating and dispiriting wait in the Emergency Centre.

Natasha gave Day treatment services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bought in via ambulance with my partner and straight away we were apologised to about the wait to be seen, something beyond everyone's control. He was offered tea and coffee and breakfast and lunch. The whole staff made a difficult day much easier. Thank you.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 January 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 January 2016

Sometimes delays are inevitable, for whatever reason, although we are always sorry about this. However, I am glad to learn that the staff kept you informed and cared for your partner by providing timely sustenance. I hope that he did eventually receive the necessary treatment and that all is now well. Thank you for letting us know about this.

Rachel Walker reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Cancelled appointment

I took a day off work to take my partner to his appointment with the Parkinsons consultant, only to be told, when we arrived, that the appointment had been cancelled due to the junior doctors strike. Apparently someone should have phoned us, but no such call was received.
As we were only at the hospital for 15 mins we should not have had to pay for car parking, but when we got to the barrier the machine said I had to pay, so I went back to pay, and was charged £2 for my stay of 15 mins.
All in all our visit was not a pleasant experience.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 12 January 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 January 2016

I am so sorry about this situation; your partner should definitely have had a telephone call to advise him of the cancellation of the appointment as a consequence of the junior doctors' strike. With regard to the car park, you probably should have put the ticket into the machine as you left the building, which would have validated it as free before you got back to your car. I suspect that the extra time, having to go to the machine tipped the time into the need to pay - which simply added to your awful experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for this.

Frustrated of Herne Bay reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

My ongoing treatment and diagnosis

In early August 2015 I saw my GP. I had been feeling excessively tired, I was sent for blood tests and subsequently referred to Kent and Canterbury and saw a Dr in late September. I had more blood tests and urine sample test, which would require me to be admitted over night. I finally received this test last week after a 19. 5 week wait!
In mid January I received the results of this test, and whilst it had ruled out what the Dr had been testing for it showed that the problem lies with my current anti-convulsive medication, which I have been on for 50 years. I now need to see a neurologist and my GP has done the letter today however the wait for this consultant is 12-18weeks!
Had I been given the test when it was first requested on 4th October I would have possibly still been waiting for an appointment but there would be an end in sight. At the moment I am looking at a possible 12-18 week wait before I actually see someone! Is this really reasonable? Why should I have to wait another possible 6 months before I know for definite what my problem is?

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 19 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled hospital park and ride

I visited this hospital on 14th Jan 2016. Went to the hospital park and ride service only to be told it has been discontinued. Drove to hospital where it was impossible to park. Drove back to park and ride, got on bus to bottom of Ethelbert Road and walked (approx 10 minutes). Due to parking problems was late for appointment. Met several patients in the same situation, no one seemed to know park and ride had been stopped. I am seriously and chronically ill and the situation was appalling. This Trust has obviously forgotten what they are there for - to care for people who are ill and in need if treatment and increasingly it is obvious across the Trust (I attend mostt of their hospitals) that they have no regard for patient care or safety. Saying that if you can actually get to the hospital, the medical and nursing staff are consistently wonderful!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 21 January 2016

I am so sorry you have had this problem. The Park and Ride service, operated by Stagecoach on behalf of Canterbury City Council between New Dover Road and the hospital, had been financially supported by the Trust since its inception in 2010. However, over the last 12 months passenger numbers dropped considerably, and the bus often ran from New Dover Road to the hospital and back completely empty. Staff no longer need to use the service owing to more staff parking provision on site, and as a result the service ended as of 31 December 2015. More parking provision for patients can now be found outside the 'Education Centre', which is on the left hand side of the avenue as you approach the 1937 building - please try this area as there are frequently spaces to be found there. It is also sometimes possible to find a parking space in the streets adjacent, which is free, but for four hours only. Nevertheless, it was good to know that once you get into the hospital, the staff are so good - thank you for your kind comments.

inverness2000 reviewed Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Problems trying to get an appointment

I tried to book an appointment in Dec for the sleep apnoea clinic through the choose and book system. The only appointment available was in March at William Harvey in Ashford, but this was to far to travel and would cost to much. So I decided to opt for the Kent and Canterbury, as no appointment were available, it said the team are aware that you are trying to book an appointment and will get back to you by 01/01/2016.
I did not receive a call back by then and have rang the Kent and Canterbury hospital 4 times now and every time I have been told they don't know when the clinics will be and I am still waiting to be graded.
I made a complaint to pals via e-mail and was told that someone would get back to me within 3 working days. No one has rung me back, so I rang them and left a message. As of yet no one has got back to me. I am disgusted with the way this has been handled and why does it take nearly six weeks to make an appointment and why do I have to be graded? I await another fobbing off excuse

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 27 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 04 February 2016

I am really sorry to hear this. Please be assured that if you left a message with a contact number it will be returned - usually the same day, but for certain by 5.00pm the following day.

VB reviewed Diagnostic Physiological Measurement at Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Urgent mri results

I was sent for an Urgent mri on 29.01.16.
I was told to go to the gp within a few days to get the results... how ever I did this to find no results and Dr said they would telephone and chase them.
Today I ring the surgery to be told my results are not available.
I then ring the hospital to fingers that my urgent Mri is still waiting on the Radiologist desk and is still not reported on.
I have spent the last 6 wks in agony and on high doses of morphine .
That even as urgent your mri scan can sit on a desk waiting for some one to look at it and report on it... but I can go to the hospital and purchase a copy of my mri on a disk. It seems a joke.
And the pain increases the longer I wait.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 February 2016

Kent and Canterbury Hospital has not yet replied.

Arthur Martin gave Dermatology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology unit appointment

Today 24th December 2015 I attended the dermatology clinic as result of referral from my GP. It was decided I would require a biopsy re a swelling on my right shoulder.I was treated in a truly professional manner and the staff deserve to be praised for the caring way in which I was treated.I am really annoyed by the way in which TV and newspapers constantly are critising a service which doctors and nursing staff certainly do not deserve and it must be very demoralising for them. I wish all of them a very enjoyable festive season.Perhaps in 2016 they will be praised in a way they truly deserve.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 24 December 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 28 December 2015

Thank you so much for letting us know about the good experience you had in the Dermatology clinic. Thank you too, for your very kind seasonal greetings - wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.

Anonymous gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Time not well spent

I am not complaining, only explaining.
Having waited two hours after my appointment time in the Eurology clinic we observed that some patients were only with the consultant to register for minutes , surely, if the said Doctors were only reporting no further action, would it not be more efficient to do this by letter to the GP? A copy could be sent to the patient. Today there were many patients and embarrassed staff. I felt so sorry for some of the latter as some patients were very scratchy about their long wait. The consultant was overbooked and had a surgery session to go to afterwards . Not well planned system .

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 09 December 2015

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 28 December 2015

I am so sorry to learn about your long and frustrating wait in the Urology Clinic and thank you for your kind concern for the staff who had to field the unhappiness of some of the patients.