Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology Bevan Ward Outpaitents

I was referred by my GP on a Fast Track Appointment for a growth behind my ear. I went to the Department this morning, 6 days after referral and received excellent treatment from all the staff at the Unit. It was assessed by three qualified staff and I was fortunate in that it was benign. Thank you PAH Dermatology Unit for excellent service.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 05 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Kathy pace gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

femerlal Hernia

Came to A@ E on Friday 2nd with bad pain in tummy and side, saw surgeon who on Sunday repaired my Hernia a big thank you to them and the wonderful team who looked after me, they had worked full on all over weekend and we have wonderful doctors and nurses and porters thank you all so much. Kathy pace x

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 06 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

KSelby gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely friendly staff

Came in tonight (Sept 16th) with my 2 year old son and was seen to very quickly. Staff were very helpful and efficient, but the thing that impressed me the most was the member of staff (I wish I could remember their name!) who played with my son - chasing him, tickling him, cuddling him and even giving him a teddy bear. This member of staff was absolutely fantastic with him, he loved them so much he cried when we had to leave! I hope they read this, this person is an asset to PAH.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 16 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Jodie Rixson gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

My sons admission to A&E and Dolphin Ward 20/21 Sept 2016

My GP rang ahead to A&E explaining my sons symptoms which were severe stomach/shoulder pains, cough and high fever. We were seen almost straight away and put in cubicle. The nurses were caring and clearly run off of their feet but listened and tried to answer any questions. We had one Dr/surgeon who confused us more as their English was poor and they were very vague, this made us panic more. However after this we were treated with dignity, care and respect and met the most amazing, professional people. The pediatrician and surgeons/anesatists were clear, calm and caring. We were told why they were doing what they were doing, our options, what was happening to our son and speaking to him in a wonderfully calm and caring way. This amazing care continued when we were transferred to Dolphin Ward when it was decided to postpone surgery as his pain had subsided. We were given a clean, private cubicle and looked after through the night. We were seen as we were told the next morning by the same people as the night before which astounded me that these people work so hard to help us and get so much criticism. The decision not to take my sons appendix out was correct as he was still in less pain and an ultra sound showed what the Dr and nurses had predicted which was inflamed lymph nodes in his stomach. I would like to thank everyone at A&E and the Doplhin ward who looked after my son Joseph and us as very worried parents over those 2 days. We were also really treated well in Dolphin Ward and I was able to approach all staff with questions/needs and nothing was too much trouble although they were again very,very busy. Princess Alexandra Hospital has again looked after my son and I am very grateful.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

susanyoung gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

NHS was there for me

The NHS has recently been accused of failing in its duty of care. There are obviously issues which need to be addressed but I would like to highlight my experiences which show that, despite the odds, the NHS can be incredibly successful.
A week ago (10 September) I fell outside my home and found myself suddenly completely helpless, vulnerable and dependent upon others. In a great deal of pain and unsure what to do, the following is a timeline of our journey:
- Contacted NHS Direct who gave clear advice on how to proceed - they called an ambulance on our behalf;
- Paramedics arrived and gave comfort and pain relief, taking me to Harlow’s Princess Alexandra’s emergency department, arriving at approximately 10:30am;
- Examination by staff at the hospital and pain relief offered;
- X-ray revealed a broken hip – confirmed almost immediately by doctor who was sympathetic and clear on the way forward, i.e. admittance to hospital with an operation to follow;
- Junior doctor outlined the choices available, carefully outlining the advantages/disadvantages of procedures – they cautioned “nil by mouth” at this stage in the event a vacant slot in the theatre rota might become available;
- At all times I was kept informed of what was happening and when a slot did become available I was prepared for theatre;
- Anaesthetist visited and went through all options, again clearly explaining the advantages and disadvantages in a very caring and supportive way;
- Operation carried out at approximately 4:30pm – at all times I was kept informed of what was happening and given the opportunity to respond;
- After a short time in resuscitation, I was transferred to orthopaedics (Harold Ward) – a specialist unit with its own “gym” for use by the physiotherapists to teach patients to climb stairs etc;
- The kind nursing staff were professional, efficient and were responsive to my every need, including pain relief;
Over the next days, there was a clear process, with visits by consultants, doctors, an excellent team of physiotherapists and occupational therapists (who were vigilant in their efforts to ensure that my return home would be supported appropriately and safely);
When I was discharged on Tuesday 13th September (4pm) I felt safe and knew exactly how to work within the restraints of my crutches (having been well trained by the physiotherapists), and utilising the equipment lent to me by Occupational Health;
The following day, I received a telephone call from a member of the orthopaedic team to find out how I was managing and to let me know a health worker would come to my home to remove my clamps.
Obviously, this can never be considered a highlight in my life but it is certainly one where, when the chips were down, the NHS were there for me (and my husband) which is very reassuring.
I would like to thank everyone involved, from my heart.
Sue Young (69 years)

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Clive S gave General Medicine at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CT Scan very good experience Radiology Department

I have marked down the star rating for dignity and respect on the basis of what I and other waiting patients saw and heard while in the waiting area. A member of staff brought a large jug of medicated clear fluid and cup to a male patient who was seated close by. He was asked to confirm out loud his full name, date of birth and I think also address which he was obliged to answer out loud, much like a courtroom where everyone can hear. This is hardly keeping patient details confidential. The member of staff then gave instructions over what period he needed to drink this special fluid and when he should and then could not use the toilet. My personnel view is that maybe he could have been asked these personal questions and given toileting instructions in a less public arena and then allowed to return to the public area and drink it. Just my opinion. My experience and treatment was all good and I have no doubt that this other gentleman’s was as well, also I acknowledge that I may have raised an issue that he himself may not have been concerned about.

My own visit was for CT scan at 8-40am. Arrived half hour early and efficiently and quickly booked in. Waiting area was pleasant and clean and not overcrowded. I found the information regarding performance on the notice boards interesting and informative as was the information scrolling screen on the wall. I was called for my appointment exactly on time and was dealt with politely and efficiently. The whole procedure took no more than 15 minutes. I think I was probably one of the easier scans to manage in so much as I did not need any additional medications or preparation and did not need to gown up. Radiographer was friendly and clear in their instructions and information they gave in response to my questions. A good example of the way most people would like their appointments to run and be treated.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 02 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Terence gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 3 stars

PAH A and E

Outdated and clunky A and E department. There is is no doubt that the level of care here is second to none, unfortunately arriving at 6 am without any change means you can only have a cold drink, information on wait times is non existent and we waited over 4 hours to see a doctor with only 4 people in front of us.the TV is never on, the design of the waiting area does not flow, and I had to go through to the nurses to check we had not been forgotten, as reception told me to talk to them direct rather than them finding out. They need machines which take card for hot and cold drinks, and something to relieve the boredom.. Maybe more comfy seats too.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 25 September 2016

Anonymous gave Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A long painful wait

My daughter was admitted via casualty with crippling back pain. A scan a few days later revealed a perforated disc, the same disc that had perforated 3 years previous. She has been on the ward for two weeks in terrible pain. She has now been told she will have to wait till next Friday before any surgery can be carried out. The nursing staff have been great as have the pain team who have been fighting her corner. The lack of communication and delay by the spinal team has been unacceptable. She is very depressed and keeping her spirits up till next Friday is going to be difficult. I am just hoping that somehow her surgery can be brought forward, but I'm not hopeful.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 03 September 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 18 September 2016

Dear Anonymous,

I cannot begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you as a parent, let alone for your daughter and although it feels positive that you have had good nursing care and support from the pain team, this must be little consolation when seeing a loved one in pain.

I would hope that the treatment is now complete and that you had a positive outcome. If not, or if there is anything you would like to raise with the team more formally, we are always here to provide, advice, support and information to help you do that. The Patient Experience Team are on 01279 82 80 84 and you can call anytime between Monday and Friday, between 10am to 4pm. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.

Sarah gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E - Surgical Team - Dolphin Ward

We arrived with my son on 17th August who had been experiencing stomach pains and vomiting, he was in absolute agony. From the moment we arrived at A&E he was seen pretty quick by the triage nurse who picked up immediately on his discomfort and pain and arranged a cubicle for him so that he could lay down. After various tests to rule things out and respond quickly to their findings, the consultant surgeon and team where brought in to reassess the situation and without hesitation scrapped the abdominal scan that my son was supposed to have and admitted him straight away for surgery that evening. My son was in theatre just over 2 hours and after speaking to the surgeon, it turns out that he had acute appendicitis which had ruptured causing him to have peritonitis. He is an extremely lucky boy. I can't thank PAH surgical team enough for their quick actions and ensuring that my son was given the best treatment. He was then transferred to Dolphin Ward for 6 days which is lovely, clean and has wonderful staff. I am truly thankful to PAH because if it wasn't for the professionalism of staff along with their quick actions, my story could of been different. This hospital is amazing and you all do a great job!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Lynda Chard gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement surgery

I was admitted last Wednesday (19th August) for a new hip. I cannot speak highly enough of my treatment, from pre assessment to the very informative "joint school" class where everything regarding my op was gone into. I had an epidural with a sedative which was amazing. The operating team were so reassuring and lovely. I slept through the whole thing with no side effects of a general anaesthetic. I was transferred to Tye Green ward where I had my own room and an en suite wet room. Everything was spotless, the person who cleaned my room every day was fastidious, nothing and I mean nothing was left untouched. My care from all the nurses was faultless, everyone was so so nice. They work as a team and I didn't hear any moans and groans. In fact many of them have worked there a long time so it must have good management at the top. My surgeon came to see me three times after my operation, something I have never encountered before. What a nice person. The physios were so good and gave you so much confidence. There is even a gym on the ward for the excercises - everything has been thought of for your recovery. , I couldn't have been better looked after if I had gone privately it was 5* treatment from beginning to end. If I need to go back in for any other orthopaedic surgery this is the only place I want to go. Thank you so much to everyone on Tye Green you honestly made my stay enjoyable.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 26 August 2016