Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Alexandra & Axel gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent provision in the maternity unit

My husband and I are new time parents and arrived in the early hours of the morning and were taken straight through to an empty and calm labour ward to have my blood pressure taken, baby's heart beat monitored and me examined. We anticipated to have some time and therefore initially left our bags in the car. The midwife said I had done all the hard work at home and was already 9cm dilated and instantly began to escort me and my husband to the delivery room.
The midwife was very calming and reassuring and to just tell them at this point to our birth plan (that was in the car). From start to finish my labour took 6 hours and we had the one midwife with us the entire time. They were extremely friendly, supportive and caring; even to the extent of phoning the security office with regards to the expiry time on our car running out.
The aftercare was also met by two lovely midwives who allowed us the use of the delivery room for hours to bond with our new baby.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Helen Mullineux gave Urology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fast response to bladder cancer

At the end of September 2015 I went to my GP with blood in my urine. Within one week I had a cystoscopy and was diagnosed with bladder cancer. I then had further tests and 4 weeks after diagnosis I had an operation to remove the tumours and a second hidden type of cancer was discovered. From the end of November I had 6 weekly treatments. This totally removed all the cancer. I was cured in 3 months!!
As my cancers were aggressive types I have had treatments and cystoscopies to prevent the cancers returning. Now, 18 months later I am still cancer-free and still being treated by very competent, caring and considerate staff. I cannot fault the wonderful, kind care I have been given by everyone: volunteers, assistants, nurses and doctors. Thank you PAH Trust.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Neil Cameron-Mowat gave General Medicine at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

MRI Scan Friday 12th may

Many thanks to the team who reacted very quickly and efficiently when I decided to pass-out on them at the start of the procedure , a very re-assuring presence when you are feeling not quite 'all there'
Neil Cameron-Mowat

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Anxious Mam reviewed Princess Alexandra Hospital

A better appointments system needed

It took me nearly forty minutes waiting to get through on the Lab's busy line in order to make an appointment. This is not fair on your super staff who have to explain to frustrated patients that it's always like this, nor is it fair on nervous patients who might be easily put off making their appointment altogether. Surely online booking technology is available to help with this.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 18 May 2017

Dear Anxious Mam,

I am sorry you had to wait so long and yes, completely agree, we love our staff and so we are working towards enabling the use of new technology to support staff and patients to make booking appointments easier. There have recently been some IT issues in the NHS which you may be aware of, which have not helped but were are working to resolve these as quickly as possible.

If none of this works, please note you can always call the Patient Experience Team between Monday and Friday, 10am to 4pm and there should always be someone able to take a message or answer your call. The number is 01279 82 72 11.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing care

I had amazing care while here having my 3rd baby. Resulted in an emergency c section with complications after. The care I received was fantastic, and all services seemed to work like a well oiled machine. Would highly recommend!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Had a little op almost a week ago

My consultant and their team I can't thank enough for the wonderful level of care I received while here. So grateful for our nhs.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

San89 reviewed Princess Alexandra Hospital

I can say it was a true pleasure to give birth here.

I can say it was a true pleasure to give birth here. I feel emotional writing how well we were taken care of by absolutely every single person we encountered.
We travelled far for this hospital because giving birth is the scariest thing and I needed to feel safe and secure. Every member of staff made me feel like 'family' reassured me and comforted myself and my partner throughout. What a wonderful hospital, what amazing staff and thank goodness for the NHS. I have the upmost respect for every member of staff at princess Alexandra and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for giving us such a wonderful experience.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 23 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

John Hanson gave General Medicine at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Needs Improvement

Today the 24th May 2017 I had occasion to visit P.A.H. My first impressions was awful. Plastic bags in hedges, fast food cartons and even discarded clothing on the outside walkway.
The staff had no knowledge of where the maternity dept. was and they had to consult a map.
The final straw was I needed to speak to someone in the security office, guess what, they were closed.
The management need to get this sorted PDQ

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 24 May 2017

A paediatrician reviewed Princess Alexandra Hospital

Communication needs to be improved

My daughter had some bleeding at 12 weeks in pregnancy and went to the EPU in Harlow several times. She was generally satisfied with the services provided, and her pregnancy has continued, but surprised that
1) no-one recorded anything in her patient held obstetric record book, and
2) her GP was not informed of the results of scans which were done as a result of the bleeding.
Communication within the health services in Harlow needs to be improved,

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Rebecca M gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful experience

Had my second baby here. I felt that all maternity care was fantastic and they was excellent in every aspect from my 6 week scan through till birth.

They were especially superb during my labour even though I arrived as staff were changing shifts. They took the time to listen to what I was saying and were very patient. It was a fantastic experience and all the staff were friendly and a great support.

A big thank you to all the midwives!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 28 April 2017