Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Mrs Cooper gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment in Paediatric A & E

Yesterday my son had an accident which required some treatment. The staff were absolutely fantastic. The staff nurse, Dr and Registrar were brilliant at putting my son at ease and dealt with everything quickly and kindly.Thank you very much.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Early Pregnancy Unit

I had to visit the Early Pregnancy Unit after some bleeding at 10 weeks pregnant, and having lost a previous baby I was very distressed. I was a bit concerned having read some other reviews on here which were not at all positive. However, I found it to be a fantastic service. From phoning in tears at 9.30am I was seen by a nurse and referred for a scan by 12pm. Throughout the entire visit I was treated with care and compassion. The nurse who carried out the ultrasound was just wonderful. I could not fault the care I received - thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Joe B gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A and E with serve breathing problems and infection

Visited A and E with serve breathing difficulties and was seen after only waiting for around 20 minutes and was immediately taken through to a room and placed on oxygen and had numerous tests and injections. The staff were amazing In making me feel comfortable and reassuring. With a phobia of needles they ensured that after 7 needles are were gentle and made me calm and relaxed and explained everything clear and I'm as much depth as needed. The nurse while clearly overworked was happy and cheerful and made me feel good considering the discomfort I was in and kept checking in on me and replenishing medication. The nurse was outstanding and a credit to the NHS and it ashame I can't mention the nurse by name. All the nurses were lovely to be fair. The doctor dealing with me was outstanding and kind and caring and really friendly and calming. Even when injecting me in my arteries the doctor was calming and made it as pain free as possible and honestly the care the doctor gave was faultless and I feel above what is probaly expected by current standard. Absolutely brilliant service and really made the lengthy stay as bearable as possible. The clenliness was first class class and the care was all round outstanding considering how busy the A and E department was. I can honestly these nurses and doctors are a special class of people and can only hope they get the recognition they deserve not many people could handle a 13 hour shift and be that caring and attentive.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 08 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Vicki Alderson gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dolphin ward

My daughter has been an oncology patient for 3 1/2 years and so a regular visitor to Dolphin Ward. In the past I have not had any faith or trust in the staff on Dolphin Ward. We have had various problems during the last few years. On Friday we were admitted to Dolphin Ward as my daughter was sleeping all day, hardly eating amongst other things and is currently on a clinical trial at gosh. We stayed overnight on Dolphin Ward and were allowed home the next day on IV antibiotics. I thought the care both myself and my daughter received was amazing, couldn't fault it. Every member of staff was cheerful, smiley and caring. They went out of their way to make sure we were both ok. They even brought in an amazing sensory machine that projected pictures, played Disney music and had fibre optic sensory attachments for my daughter to enjoy throughout the night. It really didn't feel like we were in hospital! I would love to thank every member of staff who cared for us and I'd definitely be recommending Dolphin Ward to other parents.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Basic Hygiene is appalling!

I had a heavy fall on the ice and sustained a very deep cut to my knee with a suspected fracture and also injured my back. I was taken to A&E and the receptionist decided I should go straight to the minor injuries unit (MIU). I questioned whether this deep open wound should have been seen by a doctor As it was early, we were the first in the MIU and the nurse put on a bandage on without cleaning the wound and sent me for xray. The Xray department said they needed to take the bandage off as it would show up on the Xray. It seemed to me that the MIU should have known this and that my extremely painful wound was being unnecessarily handled. Back at MIU the nurse, with no gloves on, wiped the bed down. Without washing hands, the nurse came over and pulled my wheelchair to the bed contaminating the handles. The nurse pulled over a 'workstation' trolley with their dirty hands. The nurse pulled open the drawers and rummaged through the dressings and syringes and opened sterile packages pulling out syringes and placed them on the 'sterile' tray. The nurse did the same with the dressings and tore open the clear plastic sachets containing the local anaesthetic with their nails and poured three of these into a compartment on the tray on top of the workstation trolley. I felt so uncomfortable, I asked as politely as I could if the nurse was intending putting on gloves. The nurse said they were but that they were going to do the 'dirty work' first before they washed their hands and put on gloves. The nurse opened up the new dressings and started shaking the dressings on to the top of the station, now aware that I was concerned about their lack of cleanliness. The nurse took the bandage off my wound, peeling back the bloody dressing and dropped it into the bag attached to the trolley. The nurse finally washed their hands and then put on the blue gloves. They injected around my open wound and inside it around 8 times. I could feel the needle so the nurse had to inject me several times more and I could still feel the needle. With now bloody gloves, the nurse pulled open the workstation drawers and rummaged through the drawers to get more dressing. I mentioned tetanus and the nurse said that any previous tetanus jab will last forever, although the nurse never even asked me if I'd had a tetanus injection. They said they would give antibiotics, but later found out they couldn't. The nurse told me that they had looked at the xray and couldn't see anything obvious but someone trained would check it within 48 hrs. They said it wasn't a bruised bone as they couldn't see it on the Xray. I have since been told this would only show up on MRI. This is the 2nd time I have raised a hygiene issue at A&E, then a doctor had gloves on, opened doors & cupboards, wiped down a bed and began to attend a wound on my dad's eye. The doctor was cross when I asked them to change their gloves and with new gloves, put their hair behind their ears. No wonder PAH have an 'inadequate' rating and patients are contaminated with MRSA and other bugs. Watch this space for infection.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My thanks and appreciation to Ambulance and Hospital staff

Having just had a my first Seizure which necessitated an Ambulance call-out and Hospitalisation and must say that all staff during my experience at this event were kind,helpful and obviously working under pressure. A couple hours out of one's life is a very small price to pay for the quality and efficiency of my care and treatment. My thanks again to all who were involved for there cheery outlook which was cheering at such a time. ice

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 January 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very caring staff

My brother has been a patient at the Princess Alexander Hospital for over three months. Despite the pressures the staff are under they have always treated him with skill and compassion. Thank you on my brother's behalf for all your care and kindness.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 January 2017

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A credit to the nursing profession

Due to circumstances beyond their control I was delayed having my angiogram so had plenty of time to observe the department from an ex nurses point of view. Not only were the staff cheerful and reassuring - I was kept informed all along the line - but the working practices both from the patients point of view and in maintaining a safe environment were excellent. My recovery after the angiogram was not straightforward and the two staff remaining at the end of a long day stayed beyond their shift time and even bought me a fizzy drink out of their own money to help with the nausea. My eventual admission overnight was dealt with smoothly and efficiently. I simply cannot praise this department enough. A huge thank you to all of you, but especially the two who stayed with me.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 17 January 2017

Joan cook gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent operation

A week ago I had an operation on my hand, I couldn't praise the Orthopedic Departmant enough. I was met by nothing but friendly kind staff at all levels, nothing was too much trouble for any of them. What fantastic staff working so hard! Thank you all, your hard work and cheerful smiles are very much appreciated.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 January 2017

Bill gave Haematology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I have a condition, neutopenia, that renders me very susceptible to infections which have the potential to become life threatening. I have been through A&E three times this year with fever, once with pneumonia. They very quickly get me into a side room rather than sitting in the waiting room. Staff are very good and the care is first class. I also have to attend the William's Day Unit twice as week and the staff there are more than excellent. Nothing is too much trouble for them. We engage in friendly banter which is good but their knowledge and professionalism is superb.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 23 December 2016