Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Harlow hospital!!!

I visited harlow accident and emergency on the 2nd of September 2017. I had some difficulty with breathing and some chest pains. I found it hard to keep down fluids and was vomiting lots.
I have too be honest, I appreciate the fact that the doctors and nurses are under huge pressure and staffing levels and morale are very low.
I did find the waiting times very long, eight hours in total. I found some of the nurses very rude and unprofessional. I understand they are working incredibly long hours, however I was disappointed with the treatment I received. I was further humiliated and belittled in the waiting room by a nurse who I feel had no passion for the job, let alone any kind of compassion for the patients within her care. I will be taken this matter further.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Alice gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience

I gave birth to my daughter on 12 Sept at the Labour Ward. I arrived in the morning after what I understand had been an incredibly busy night with the ward at almost full capacity. This was not reflected at all in the amazing care we received from every member of staff we dealt with. The room we were allocated was lovely, much nicer than I was expecting. Large, clean and modern. We had a midwife with us at all times. Everyone who dealt with us were professional, kind, caring, and put us at ease. I really felt we were in safe hands. I was surprised that for most of the labour I found it enjoyable, not something I was expecting. I had to have an induction and I opted for an epidural which really helped. This was administered to me extremely professionalally and was not a bad experience at all. It really did the trick as I was not in pain for a large part of the labour. I was so impressed with everyone who dealt with us.The two midwifes who saw us through labour were amazing. I'm certain their efforts and calm and friendly natures really helped the safe arrival of our little girl. The student with them and their coordinator were great too. The labour turned into an emergency as the umbilical cord got wrapped around baby's neck. The team spotted the problem quickly and acted immediately calling in the Drs straight away. I'd like to praise those Drs too as I'm certain they saved our daughter's life. After the labour we were looked after in the Sampson Ward. The team there were professional, friendly, hard working and I appreciate all the help they gave us. Sorry for the long review but the people working in this department of the hospital are amazing and we can't thank them enough.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Margaret Barker gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

After a fall

My daughter in law brought me to A&E after I had fallen whilst out walking. My hip was very swollen, painful and I couldn't weightbear.
I was seen by a doctor immediately and sent tor X-rays. I was given medication for pain while we waited for the results. A&E were very busy with patients waiting on trolleys in the corridors yet all the staff were professional and cheerful.
Fortunately I had not broken my hip and after assessment by the Cars team was able to go home. I would like to thank all members of staff for their care and professionalism whilst I was a patient.
The staff in A&E were exemplary despite the sheer volume of work they were experiencing..
I would like to commend the Dr. for their kindness and professionalism.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dirty disgusting hospital

My husband came here yesterday chest pain and pain in his left arm waited 4 hours on a hard chair before he was seen the smell of urine the rubbish and dirt thrown on the floors the rudeness of the staff all I can say is it's a shambles never again

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I am so sorry you had this experience, it is not one we expect to provide to any of our community and so my sincere apologies. We are going through a period of refurbishment in order to improve our service to you and we have dedicated staff on hand who will be able to resolve any queries while this work is taking place.

We would be very keen to speak to you to understand what went wrong here and put things right, so if you feel able to do so, please contact 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Haematology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Blood test

Visited this hospital for a blood test appointment for a small child. Upon arrival i was told to go straight through where staff would be ready. Instead of being met with a friendly face and reassurance my already anxious child had to stand and listen to the child before her screaming (and indeed witness the same as there is no privacy the door is wide open). I had expected that the staff would be used to dealing with nervous little ones but when my child became very distressed they did not seem to have a clue how to handle the situation instead saying very unhelfpul things such as "stop kicking". They did not take any time over putting my child at ease, nor did they explain what they were doing at any point or even think to give out a sticker afterwards. My husband and i were not impressed and hope never to have to return for a similar service. Also baffled as to why herts and essex phlebotomy cannot offer this service. In my experience there are certainly peak times there but i have walked in on an empty waiting room there on several occasions.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 24 August 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I am sorry to hear you had a poor experience when attending for a blood test for your child.

Children’s blood testing is performed with an appointment at The Princess Alexandra Hospital because it has a specially designed room to calm and distract the child. The door to the blood test room is left open or it’s closed according to the wishes of the parents and/or the advice of the phlebotomists. We do not have this facility at Herts & Essex.

Our team are proud of the photo board displayed in the room showing children who have had a positive experience here. And we receive compliments on the standard of care given – which includes stickers!

We always try to ensure each child has a positive experience with us, and I’m sorry this wasn’t the case for you this time. We'd love to work with you to see how else we could improve and so with that in mind, I would like to invite you to get in touch with us on 01279 82 72 11 or by emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk.

David gave Haematology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Smell of cigarettes and rubbish.

Visit today was a shock to see the main entrance outside strewn with overflowing rubbish bins and cigarette buts , also people and patients sitting outside smoking, as you pass through them to enter the building the stink and smell of smoke fills your eyes. This does not send out the correct message when going to a place to get care. On my next visit I will harm myself with a gas mask. Would like to see a response from the chief executive.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital

A & E Minor Injuries nit

Absouletly excellent! I arrived about 9am with a wrist injury was seen, Xrayed and in plaster by 9.30 am

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

Anonymous gave Haematology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Compassionate and professional

Attended for a blood test. Nurses were very friendly and polite and super effecient

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 25 August 2017

SOS gave General Medicine at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Stay away

A family member (85 year old) has been admitted 3 times in the last last month for the same problem. Has been on four different wards (not including A&E). Spoken to so many different staff from nurses to consultant. Have been told so many different things that the staff end up contradicting each other. Decided to self discharge on Friday but then got told that there is another problem that could cause a stroke.

I have cleaned blood of bed frame and wiped urine of floor and general cleaning duties !!!!
Told today that there are only 2 qualified nurses on a ward of 28 patients
I have very serious concerns for the welfare of family member
Some of the staff are very rude and if they read this they will know who they

If l ever need to go to hospital it will not be this one.
Good luck to the people that do use it.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

clare reviewed Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital

A&E visit august

I had to attend A&E after falling ill in town.I must say that I found that although there are works being undertaken the signs were helpful,staff friendly,immaculate cleaning procedure throughout.Im very impressed with the complete and helpful way I was looked after and reassured.The procedure was very quick considering it was a weekday on school holidays.
Overall impressive improvement from my past visits.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017