Check here for alerts

Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A granny's view!

Just like to thank a particular midwife who delivered my grandaughter yesterday at Harlow (3rd Dec 2016). Their calm, efficient and professional approach made us all relaxed and my daughter had first class care. Largely due to the knowledge & skill of this great midwife my daughter's pain was low, the midwife kept their calm and comfortable and then, when birth was possible, the midwife really encouraged her on - this gave my apprehensive daughter confidence and so our 1st grandaughter was born without complications. So I'm paying tribute to a remarkable person who kept calm and in control from 8 am to 8 pm - they are one of the many unsung heroes of the NHS - thank you so very much! KT.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 04 December 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrs T Infantino gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I would like to thank the whole NHS staff who dealt with me elderly mother after a fall when we had to call an ambulance. She suffers from Parkinsons so very difficult to diagnose, from the ambulance staff to the final SHO we saw the care she received was outstanding! I have been to many hospitals for my own poor health and have never received care like this. She arrived at A&E and within minutes all her obs and blood tests were done and within the hour she had an Xray. Every single member of staff was fantasti. Big thank you to all of you.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 07 December 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Medical staff were lovely

I initially had a Pre-Operative assessment at Galen House on the 26th of October 2016. The receptionist was polite and the nurse was very receptive, very professional and caring. The nurse was also very informative so I knew what to expect for my actual operation, putting my mind was at ease. My mother was with me at the time and she was not left out of the conversation concerning my well-being. I had the opportunity to ask the nurse loads of questions too. I felt that I was being listened to because the nurse summarised everything that I had said, and clarified anything that I was uncertain of. On the actual day of my operation in November, I was in the company of my mother, the receptionist at Alexandera Day Stay Unit was not very friendly, their attitude was icy, which made me feel uncomfortable. However, the actually medical staff were lovely and I was pleasantly surprised how diverse the medical team were. The nurses were so nice and caring, the anaesthetists were lovely and the doctor was good. The staff explained to me each process that I would go through and what to expect. I was really happy and pleased with their professionalism. The only issue I had was that my mother who was waiting hours for me in reception inquired about my welfare, but she was not given any information by the receptionist who she asked. My relative could have been informed that I was okay after the operation.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Saturday 26 November I was taken extremely unwell. A Relief doctor was very good and deduced I was anaemic and phoned Princess Alexandra to book me in, then called for an ambulance. We did need a 2nd call to 111 for an ambulance and within a quite short time a paramedic arrived followed by an ambulance. All of these people were magnificent and I cannot praise the two ambulance staff enough, they looked after me brilliantly into the hospital. Attention in the Princess Alexandra hospital was swift with a blood transfusion following shortly afterwards. I Spent the next 2/3 days in Winter Ward at Princess Alexandra where the staff were attentive and any request was dealt with swiftly. People do knock the NHS but for me on Saturday when I was very unwell, it was a real comfort so a big thank you to everyone

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 30 November 2016

Hper reviewed Princess Alexandra Hospital

The service was prompt, friendly and efficient

Just wanted to say the experience was a very positive one. The service was prompt, friendly and efficient. I was very impressed and thought I should share my opinion as very often the hospital comes in for a lot of criticism. Thank you, staff, nurses and doctors.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 15 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff

My husband and I attended A+E when we experienced bleeding in early pregnancy last night. Every single member of staff we came across, clinical and non clinical were exceptional. The receptionist was very kind and efficient, considering they were dealing with a weeping woman. The triage nurse saw us within about 10 minuets of arriving and was very good. The wait for a blood test was not long. The doctor we saw explained everything throughly, showed good knowledge and compassion. They were also very accommodating when I asked for a slip to show my work to say I needed to go to EPU the next day. In total we were in and out of A+E within 2 hours. Expectional service with lovely staff.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 18 November 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

barbara reseigh gave Haematology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

blood test

I have been trying to get my blood test results for the last 4 weeks even my gp can not get them. I have been on the phone and every time after on for at lest 30min someone just puts the phone down on me. I know need to go and have more tests done . what a waste of NHS money

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 22 November 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

Dear Barbara,

I'm absolutely with you on this, it is not right that after giving blood you cannot get your results within a reasonable period of time through your GP. I wonder if you would be so kind as to call me or a member of my team directly, we are here to help.

Please call on 01279 827211 and we will do our best to assist.

AT gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

5 star service from the NHS

I had a hip replacement on 5th October which is the first surgery I have had on the NHS as any treatment I had had before this was through a private medical scheme. The consultant I saw was amazing, straightforward, reassuring and informative, I was nervous about the whole idea of going down this route but the consultant made the decision very easy. The Pre-op assessment was amazing, it is a very thorough check of your health but it also gives you masses of information on what will happen, before, during and after the operation. The joint school is also well worth going to as they not only go through the process again but arrange home equipment through the OT team. On the day of the operation, everything was very straightforward, I was looked after from the moment I got there, one member of staff helped me on with my lovely stockings, carried my case for me and escorted me to surgery. The anesthetisers were amazing and the consultant came in to see me before I went through to surgery to answer a couple of questions. back on the ward after surgery, the nursing staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, all of those on duty were fabulous. The physiotherapists were upbeat and motivating, again extremely keen and enthusiastic. this is an excellent hospital, well organised employing keen, skilled and importantly people with amazing people skills. Highly reccommend

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016

Ranj reviewed Ophthalmology at Princess Alexandra Hospital

I have phoned 48 times today to cancel appointment for next

Hi phoned the eye unit 48 times this to change cancel an appointment for Monday. You say it's nhs £150 for missed appointments. I ask you? I will not phoning again hence missed appoimtment

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 04 November 2016

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 November 2016

Dear Ranj,

That is completely unacceptable and not what I would expect from our services. Please be assured that there are alternatives to calling the same service 48 times if you do not get a response. We are the Patient Experience Team and we are here to help when you are not getting through to a team or individual, whether that is literally, as in your case, or otherwise.

We acknowledge that we do not always get things right and so the Patient Experience Team is there to help resolve your questions or concerns when things do go wrong. Please call us on 01279 827211 Monday to Friday 10.00am to 4.00pm.

I want to give 5* rating to Harlow Hospital

Extremely happy with the way all the staff dealt with my 12 yr old Autisc son, in A&E. He had cut his head open, and there was more blood than he could cope with. Staff saw him straight away and worked on immediately, they explained all what they were going to do, then cleaned him up thoroughly. I would like to thank the staff in paediatrics for their professional and caring attitude toward me and my son. I was in a state not knowing how my son was going to cope, the thought that I may have to help hold him down, made me shake. But staff was so calm and reassuring, it all ran so smoothly and we was out in under 20 mins! Thankyou again Harlow hospital!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 12 October 2016