Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Anonymous gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Urology Outpatient

My opinion based upon personal experiences is that Urology Consultants really do not take the time to explain things to me and are far too quick, dismissive, evasive and contradictory in their professional approach.

I have given up and will now be seeking a private consultation elsewhere.

Maybe, if I am paying for it privately, the Urologist will just give me "time" to listen to my worries, concerns and might answer any questions I have without patronising me and rushing me out of the door.

I remain very disapointed with the Urolgy Outpatients at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and that I was not deemed worthy enough of more than four minutes consultation time given that I had waited 55 minutes past my appointment time as the Urologist was running late.

It seems that they aren't really sure what they're talking about, in one breath they say "you are cancer free" and in the next breath they say "well we can't be 100% certain".

Seriously, I have had enough, waste of time and do I feel reassured ? No.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 April 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the comments you have made regarding the Urology Team at the hospital. I am sorry to read you felt dismissed and that you have had a negative experience. I will share your comments with the senior staff in the hospital. Should you wish to discuss this further you can contact me by telephone on 01603 289045 or by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

George Holt gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Service

Although A&E were extremely busy, we were dealt with in a satisfactory and efficient manner. In particular the Emergency Surgery Assessments Unit within the Easten Ward. The nurses, junior doctors were excellent, and the doctor whose in depth diagnosis and professionalism was outstanding, especially due to the fact that we were seen between their emergency surgeries. I now feel much more at ease with the prescribed medication and await contact for my CT scan and eventual Surgery.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your your kind comments following your recent inpatient stay in the hospital. I am pleased to read that you received good care from the nursing and medical staff. I hope you continue to recover and your forthcoming surgery goes well. Thank you for taking the time to write and we will share your feedback with all involved in your care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Michele Taylor gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A/E attendance for wrist injury

I attended A/E on a Friday evening with a wrist injury and expected to wait a long time. Instead I was treated very quickly by a very kind and helpful team of doctors and nurses, who gave me prompt pain relief, an X-ray and back slab to to my arm. I was also given very clear instructions for further support. I just want to say a big thank you to them for such prompt kind and caring treatment for a minor injury when they must see some very distressed people during their normal working day. Thank you.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 23 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your visit to the hospital. I am pleased to read that you were treated promptly and that staff were kind and caring. Thank you for taking the time to write and we will share this with the staff involved in your care. I hope you are recovering well.

Patient Opinion Logo

sandramarsh gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement

From the first appointment with the surgeon back in January to the administration department on the day of my operation,then the staff,all levels,on Denton Ward,the care that I received was outstanding,all staff should be proud of themselves for the service they provide. Well done. My hard work now starts,learning how to walk properly again.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 23 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about the care and treatment you received from the hospital. I am pleased to read you felt you had outstanding care. We will share your feedback with all staff involved in your care. I hope your are recovering well following your inpatient stay and thank you for taking the time to write.

Cas1996sie reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

I am a 70yr. old wife visiting her elderly husband daily to wash and dress him.

I am a 70yr. old wife visiting her elderly husband daily to wash and dress him. He is a large gentleman and I can help him keep his dignity by doing for him what I have done for years. This helps lessen the load on the ward staff and I'm very happy to do it.
I was informed after a few days that I could get my parking ticket validated and reduce the costs which were becoming a worry.
On my last visit (today) I approached the ward receptionist to request the piece of paper needed to help with my ticket.
Her attitude and approach was very unpleasant, they treated me with complete distain.
They did not take their eyes off the computer screen while they informed me that they needed permission to get this validation, they also told me they were very busy. They eventually set off to find a member of staff (the sister) coming back to inform me that they couldn't find the sister so I'd have to wait. They sat down and continued looking at the screen. During all this time they did not smile once.
I waited.....I eventually saw a staff nurse further along the ward so I approached her myself and she duly authorised my ticket.
This receptionists general attitude towards me was mildly aggressive... full of distain... I felt like I was a nusicance...
I had been through a dreadful week with my husband travelling through A&E and being very ill. I was feeling extremely stressed and vulnerable.....travelling daily to help care for him.
I left the hospital tearful and very upset and feeling absolutely useless, I felt quite empty. .....I rang my sons for reassurance... I had quite a way to drive in this state.
A receptionist is often the first interaction with a ward for a relative and this can have quite an affect on the way a relative relates to every one. An open, caring, empathetic, honest, smiling introduction will bring far reaching results in both patient and relative. All staff must be approachable... a relative must never be scared to seek help or reassurance, I'm certainly reluctant to approach this one again.
This is the first time I have experienced this and it has left me very distressed.
As a retired RGN of 30 years I am very aware of the importance of patient/relative interaction, that first contact is so important, it sets the scene for hopefully a good relationship.
I don't want to complain, I want to raise awareness of how a receptionist s behaviour can have serious detrimental affects on those she comes in contact with.
A smile ...empathy...kindness....sincerity....make someone feel a little important.....show interest in them.......if they are in a hospital they are already vulnerable and require all of the above.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017 using Patient Opinion

Dear Family Member
Thank you for giving your feedback on your recent experience at the hospital. The Trust expects all patients, relatives and visitors to be treated with dignity and respect. I am sorry to read that this was not the case and you had a negative experience when you visited the ward. Please be assured we will share your comments with senior staff in the hospital. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01603 289045. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Patient Opinion Logo

PatriciaRutherford gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Radical hysterectomy

I am so grateful to the consultant who performed the radical keyhole surgery on my cervical cancer...I saw the consultant today and got my five year clearance.. The consultant has a very sympathetic and marvellous attitude and i couldn't say more highly about my care from the N&N staff... Thank you all, but particularly thank you my consultant.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 25 April 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wonderful doctors and nurses

Was rushed to A & E on a tuesday afternoon. Within 4 hours i had been assessed seen a doctor had a scan and was talking to the doctor about the results. Had a bleed on the brain. Was admitted to Heydon Ward until being transferred to Addenbrookes on thursday. I cannot thank the wonderful staff in A & E and Heydon Ward enough, you do a great job. Pleased to say after an operation i am now on the mend.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay in hospital. I am pleased to read that you were well cared for and I hope you are recovering well following your operation. We will share this with all staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write.

Patient Opinion Logo

Laurenp gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Birth of my daughter

I went into hospital not knowing what to expect (first baby)
I had my baby in the midwifery led unit who kindly let me stay instead of sending me back home again although a long and painful back to back labour I was able to have my little girl in the pool like I wanted having seen some midwives twice over their 12 hour shifts I could not be more thankful and amazed by their positive attitudes and support one of them even came back in to Check on me and meet baby Polly nothing was too much trouble and I left feeling grateful that we have such an amazing NHS and such Caring staff
Much appreciated
X

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about the care you recently received at the hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were caring and you had a positive experience. I hope you and your daughter are doing well following the birth. I will share your comments with all involved in your care and would like to thank you for taking the time to write.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Inefficiency of urology

On 12th December 2016, five months after a consultant urologist informed my husband that they would want to see him in clinic again, regardless of the forthcoming July prostate biopsy results, my husband finally, after much chasing up on my part had his follow up appointment. All that was going to happen on the 12th December's consulation was that the clinic was going to just arrange a PSA blood test, nothing else, no internal examination and when I asked that my husband please be considered for an MRI scan, given there was a lump there and we wanted to know what it was, the urologist initially negated that there was no point, a biopsy had been done and an MRI would not show up anything that the the biopsy had not already shown up. It was only because of my persistence that the urologist reluctantly arranged an MRI scan. My husband recently had the MRI scan, a shadow of "specific concern" (quoting urologist) was seen on the MRI scan and my husband now needs firther surgery.

So, what would have happened had we walked away from the appointment on 12th December with just the PSA blood test I am now thinking ?

Let's hope for the sake of my husband the "shadow of specific concern" (quoting urologist) is not anything sinister.

Do I have faith that he is in the best hands and Norfolk and Norwich for his fiuture urology care ? No I do not.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 March 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 March 2017

Dear Family Member
I write further to the comments you have made about your husband's care and treatment under the Urology Team. I am sorry to read your concerns. If you would like to contact me either by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01603 289045 I would be pleased to speak to you to see if PALS can assist. Alternatively, you can consider making a formal complaint and you can email this to complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk
With kind regards
Sarah Eastwood, Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Manager.

Patient Opinion Logo

mike bracey gave Ophthalmology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

nelson unit and eye surgery

Having been to the eye clinic and the Nelson unit as a patient of the doctor for several years now , I need to comment on the service of the department and the hospital.

It is excellent , all of the staff I had contact with , and the staff in the operating theatre with the doctor are excellent .

Thanks for a free of charge National Health , I for one appreciate it and all of the staff who work within it.

Mike
nelson unit recently

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments you have made about the care and treatment you have received from the Ophthalmic Department. I am pleased that you had excellent care and I hope you are recoving well following your procedure.
We will share your feedback with all involved and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.