Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

mayhemm1 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Great Experience

I attended the dermatology clinic on tues 7th september 2016 and would like to say that my treatment was fantastic. At all times I was treated in a friendly and curtious manner and was kept fully informed of what was going on. I would like to pass on my thanks to the members of staff who dealt with me.
Very well done and thanks
Martin Mayhew

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 08 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 September 2016

Dear Patient
We are pleased to hear that your visit to dermatology went well and that the staff were friendly and kept you informed. Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your care and we will pass on your comments.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A&E

Had a fast passage through the department and in to minor injuries unit which was busy. The waiting time was stated as 2 hours but I was seen in just over the hour. The unit was well run, clean and the staff were helpful, pleasant and professional. I was treated with respect, dignity and professionalism. Thank you for a job well done.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

Dear Patient
We are pleased to hear that you had a good experience when you used our Emergency Department. The team will be pleased to receive your feedback and hear that the service was pleasant and professional.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arthur South Day Unit

I had an operation in the above yesterday. Many thanks to all the staff who treated me.Everyone was very friendly, reassuring and very professional.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

cush1 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Poorly trained nurses on Cringleford Ward

I stayed on the Cringleford Ward for six days for a Cushings work-up. During the stay you have drugs and blood tests which are timed in order to measure the level of the stress hormone cortisol. It is vital for the results that timings of drugs and blood tests are carried out correctly and that the patient is in a relaxed atmosphere.
My experience on the Cringleford ward was that while some nurses were conscientious, the majority were incredibly lackadaisical. So much so that I had to chase them up both for tablets and blood tests. Some just plain forgot, one nurse went to a meeting and the tablet was 25 minutes late. The 3 am tablet one night was 20 minutes early and the last blood test on the morning I left was 25 minutes late, the nurse seemingly wasn’t concerned at all. I had to chase them up twice. The effect of this was that I became very stressed and upset.
When I saw my consultant for the results, he diagnosed a slightly raised cortisol level which is not normal. However, when I told him how stressed and upset I had been, he revised the diagnosis as this would have been the cause of the increase in cortisol levels. When you think of the seriousness of Cushings Syndrome and the consequences of a wrong diagnosis, let alone the costs of spending six days in hospital, it is unacceptable that the outcome could be dependent on the un-professional work and attitude of some of the nursing staff.
I was told that rather than having this done at the Norwich Spire Hospital as first planned, it was recommended that I had it done at the N & N because of the trained nursing staff. All I can say is that while a few were very good, the majority were sadly lacking and are, in my opinion, in dire need of some re-training. I found their attitude towards causing stress completely unacceptable.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 22 September 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

norflyer reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My experiences at NNUH

After 76 years' of good health with very rare visits to my GP, I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. Major surgery followed to remove the bladder.
The experience showed how lucky we are in Norfolk to have such superb treatment available, provided by dedicated, caring staff. The Doctors and Nurses made a frightening experience bearable and I will never forget their sympathetic and cheerful attention, nothing was too much trouble in spite of their very high workload.
Since then, I have made several visits for checkups, these are always pleasant experiences due to the Staff. Yesterday, I attended for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy - both of which I had been dreading. The procedure took some time due to the removal of polyps. However, the Doctor and Nurses carrying out the procedure were excellent and were able to make me feel at ease (no sedation! ).
After the procedure other nurses (who were very busy) helped the recovery with welcome coffee and biscuits. I wish to thank all involved and hope that the hospital will be able to continue providing such excellent levels of care and treatment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 13 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 August 2016

Dear Patient
Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your experiences, having undergone two procedures recently. We are pleased to hear that everything went well and that you were well cared for by the doctors and nurses. Your comments will be passed on to the team concerned.

Patient Opinion Logo

Nigel gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted for heart attack

I was admitted in the early hours of Thursday morning with a heart attack and had a stent fitted into one of my arteries, at the time I was on my own so the memory of the first couple of hours were hazy! but I remember the ambulance drivers being wonderful in their treatment of me as were all the staff in the hospital.The hospital was clean and well run, the food was good and my treatment was explained to me by the staff nurse. All of the staff were wonderful and I will never be able to thank them enough for their professional caring attitude, I was admitted to the hospital with a heart attack thinking that I was going to die and walked out 3 days later!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Dear Nigel
We are pleased to hear you are making a good recovery following your heart attack. The cardiology team will be pleased to receive your feedback and to hear that the staff had a professional caring attitude.

Unhappymummy8991 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Delivery suite

I am writing about the service I experienced recently whilst in my 29th week of pregnancy. At 2pm I noticed I was experiencing Braxton hicks and they were frequent – every 3-4 minutes. I Began timing and rested on the sofa.
At 3pm they were still frequent with no let up, so I rang medicom to speak to midwife, she refered me to delivery suite. I spoke to midwife on delivery suite who instructed me to lay on my side with pillow between my knees for an hour and take paracetamol then ring back at 4pm. I took the paracetamol and did as instructed, they seemed to die down but still had some tightening and discomfort so rang again in another hour. By 5pm everything seemed to have stopped, so I rested a while longer and pottered around helping husband prepare dinner. By the time I had eaten dinner at 6: 30 they were back and more painful, so I rang delivery suite again who advised to come in to be monitored and check nothing sinister. We live over an hour from the hospital and don’t have our own transport so I rang my parents who kindly drove me in, we arrived around 8: 30pm. When speaking to the receptionist in the delivery suite she warned me there was a little bit of a wait (I wish I had been warned on the phone, as I live about equidistant to kings Lyn so no reason I could not have attended there just to be monitored if they were full! ) and said that If things got worse to let them know.
When we went into the waiting room it was packed. There were 5 other women waiting to be seen before us and my mother had to stand for over an hour before anyone was seen and made room.
Obviously unlike at home, in the waiting room I was unable to lay down and rest. As a result my Braxton hicks intensified, and at around 2am I went through to let them know they were now very painful. I was informed they had no beds, I was assured I would be seen soon and went back to the waiting room. More than one of the women in the waiting room with us were in early labour, and one lady in particular was now contracting extremely regularly (every 2 minutes or so, with contractions lasting over a minute) and obviously in some distress at enduring many hours of her labour in a room full of 10 strangers with no pain relief. Somebody came in to offer us tea and biscuits and two of the women asked if they could have some paracetamol – they were denied this on the basis that they needed to be seen first. Both had been waiting over 6 hours by this point, and one was no longer able to talk through any contractions and clearly well into established labour.
At 3am I went back again to ask what was happening, as I was now experiencing some severe cervical pain and at only 29 weeks pregnant was anxious to check I was not in premature labour. Again we were told there were no beds and nobody to see us and sent away.
Finally the lady in established labour was taken to a room of her own, unable to walk and having had no triage or pain relief in her entire 8 hours in the waiting room.
A couple of hours later I was eventually seen. A grand total of 8 and a half hours after walking through the doors, having been experiencing regular Braxton hicks for 14 hours by this point with no medical assessment after the phone calls.
Thankfully once rested my contractions ceased and it turned out not to be early labour. Given that I was not assessed for so long, had I actually been in premature labour my baby would have been missing out on vital steroids to help lung development and many hours of attempts to stop contractions were missed. I also have a transverse lying baby so had my waters broken the consequences could have been more severe and this letter of a much more sinister nature.
I have a planned caesarean section booked at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital in November. This is booked due to there being a significant risk to my baby of natural Labour and birth. After this experience and witnessing the extremely distressing experience of another mother in labour, I do not feel either confident or comfortable with the care I may receive for my own birth, especially if I were to go into labour before my C-section.
For me I think the most distressing thought was that I could quite easily have attended a different maternity unit and received care more urgently if only the team had been honest about the situation. I feel that there was no attempt to put the safety of mothers and babies first.
I do not feel I can adequately put into words how distressing this experience was and how the memory of it will stay with me, and undoubtedly with the first time mum labouring in that tiny, hot, over crowded waiting room with us.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 29 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 September 2016

Dear Patient
We were very concerned to read your experiences when you came into the hospital and for any distress caused to you.
If you would like to contact us as pals@nnuh.nhs.uk. If you prefer you can call us on 01603 289045 or 289036 to give you an opportunity to talk through what happened. In the meantime, please be assured we have forwarded your comments to the Head of Midwifery so she is aware.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Sarah Eastwood
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Miriam O'Callaghan gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye clinic

For the past 3 years I have visiting the eye clinic for scans and procedures in my left eye. The respect and treatment I have been given has been second to none. I know sometimes my wait at the clinic can be lengthy but one has to realise I'm not the only one with a problem. There are some who fail to realise this and how hard working the whole of the staff in the clinic are. If it weren't for them I have no idea how my sight would be. I congratulate them on doing such a great job

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 July 2016

Dear Miriam
Thank you for your feedback about the eye clinic and the treatment they have given you over the years. We are sorry that you have to wait to be seen sometimes. Our clinic is very busy seeing over 100,000 patients each year and we have expanded our facilities to improve the situation with the New Central Norwich Eye Clinic opening on Grove Road earlier this year. We will ensure the sister for the eye clinic receives a copy of your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah B gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

pre/post laporoscopy care on Stalham Ward, Aurthur South

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on this ward. I had a diagnostic laporoscopy on 13-07-16. From begining to end, admission through to procedure and after care, I felt so well looked after. My consultant gynocologist is wonderful. I will be back for another procedure in the very near future. The open conversations I have had with my consultant about my future surgical options, have filled me with confidence for achieving the best possible outcome.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 July 2016

Dear Sarah
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following these investigations. We are pleased to hear that the consultant was supportive and that you feel confident about your future care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Fed up patient. gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worried to have my baby!!

This hospital seems to be a rather large joke! I've had an awful pregnancy, I've been left to sit in my own bloody for 4 hours on cley ward and the delivery suite. I was left for 8 1/2 hours in blakeny ward after being told I'm having a c-section! Lack of care and respect, when a family member called the ward to ask what's going on as I got no answers myself and was told my babies life was at risk! The midwife swore and referred to said family member as an "idiot" because they did not want to call back another number to speak to someone who wasn't on the same ward. Norwich and Norfolk hospital is entirely the worst, spent a night in the delivery suite where my shower room had blood splatters all up the walls. I was told I'll have a c-section after coming in with bleeding to be left on my own and pushed aside! Ridiculous place, rather go anywhere else to have my baby. Seriously considering James pageant or Kings Lynn!!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to read your feedback and about the lack of attention you have received on our maternity wards. There is no excuse for staff swearing or for the lack of cleaning in the bathroom and we do apologise. Your comments have been passed to the Head of Midwifery and you are welcome to contact us if you would like to speak to someone in more detail or make a complaint. Please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service in the first instance on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk