Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Time to admit this Hospital cannot cope

I was referred to the Norfolk & Norwich by my GP and when the earliest appointment was quoted as May 2017 he escalated the matter as urgent. I am now quoted 12 weeks. Given that my appointment is with cardiology and the only comfort has been a clear x-ray there is a very hit and miss system operating as to whether the patient gets seen or not. Urgent referrals to a chest consultant cannot be left for 12 weeks. This falls far below the standard which would be applied by a reasonable body of medical men. The Norfolk and Norwich is a modern multi million pound hospital designed to precisely cater for the level of population and estimated demands placed on it. The time to plan the second hospital is before the first one fails. I presume that maths was not a strong subject on the team that commissioned the hospital but there is really no excuse for highly paid professionals that have delivered a major hospital to this area that simply cannot cope. I appreciate it is not fashionable to criticise but nobody has excused me from the demands of tax and I have fully paid my dues on time. With respect to all concerned I have never told HMRC to wait for 16 weeks!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 February 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the comments you have made about the length of wait you are experiencing for a Cardiology appointment. I am sorry to read your concerns. If you would like to contact me by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01603 289045 I will look into this further for you.
In the meantime, please be assured I have shared your concerns with senior staff in the hospital.

Patient Opinion Logo

Yes it's still me... gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Urgent Care Unit

This newly formed body simply seems a way of farming out patients perhaps to massage figures. As a referral from the walk in centre I entered AE to a full triage examination. Further tests were carried out and having spent two hours at the walk in centre I was referred again after forty minutes to the urgent care unit. I say referrred as my name was called by a nurse at the exit clutching my notes and told to walk to the unit. This could have been handled very differently. The findings at the walk in centre had not been matched at AE so without knowing it at the time I was viewed as a 1 on a scale of 1-100. (100 being critical) I then sat in the urgent care unit for three and a half hours. First waiting to see a doctor then a blood test and then a further review. At no time did any one say your wait will be extended because you are least urgent so others will leapfrog your case. Nor was I given the chance to leave with the information to date so as to seek an appointment at my own surgery. The communication is very , very poor. The pathway for an urgent care unit is not clear. It simply appears a way of moving bodies from AE but in doing so it loses the relationship with the patient and you become lost in the system. A system that operates lethargically at best.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 February 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the comments you have made about the Urgent Care Centre. I am sorry to read your concerns about communication and the length of wait you experienced. If you would like to contact me by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01603 289045 I will look into this further for you.
In the meatime, please be assured I have shared your comments with the senior managers in the hospital.

Diznee reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Wrong size compression socks

I was admitted to hospital, fully prepared for an operation (later cancelled) but was brought a pair of socks to don. Because my ankles were swollen although I am not very tall and not overweight I was brought a pair size large. I managed to get these on but they were far too long. The instructions in the pack said in bold type they should finish two inches below the knee. Mine were four inches above. Instructions said that the tops should not be folded over as this could cause circulation problems. The nurse came and I pointed these facts out to them but was told "Don't worry they are OK"
What am I to do when I go back to have the rescheduled operation?

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for the comments you have made about compression socks.
If you would like to contact me either by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01603 289045 we will be pleased to look into this further for you.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Patient Opinion Logo

Lou Taylor gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Highly recommend the Midwifeey Led Birthing Unit

Having a straight forward pregnancy I was aware that the facility of the MLBU was available. Initially I called to ask if I could go and have a look round the unit to which me and my husband were welcome to and were shown around and given the oppotunity to ask questions which was fantastic to put a first time mums woes to rest. once mynlabour kicked in it went on for many hours but the whole time i was met by knowledgable Midwife's on the end of the phone only to helpful to offer advise. While in the unit giving birth all the staff were amazing, not only through the birth but after also making us tea and brining me and my husband food after a long couple of days. I couldn't not thank these staff enough, truely an amazing group of people. What really made it for me was that even if the staff members changed everyone we had seen came back at some point to give us a hug, say well done and meet the little man. I can not recommend them highly enough. What wasn't and easy labour was made easier by this knowledgable kind team.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for posting your kind comments about the care you received from the Midwifery Led Birthing Unit. I am pleased to read that staff were knowledgeable, kind and supportive.
We will share this with all involved in your care and send you our best wishes for the future.

Patient Opinion Logo

Barrie Allen gave Dermatology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology out patients.

Brilliant service throughout, thank you so much for fixing my nose problem. Thank God we have a wonderful NHS.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Stephen Hall gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The real context of care

I am profoundly grateful to the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital for saving my life recently when they were able to detect and treat a chronic blood clotting condition on my admission to A&E. I was cared for by the vascular team, the interventional radiology unit and the staff of the high dependency and critical care units and Docking ward. I require ongoing treatment and I know that I am in the very good hands of both the renal and vascular teams.

I was not aware of how ill I had become over the Christmas period and that much of the left side of my body including my leg, groin and abdominal cavity had become completely clotted. The grace of God and the expertise and devotion of everyone involved in my care clearly signals that I have more to do in this life. A few weeks before this my younger sister, I am 63 she was 60, was admitted having become unwell during the day. My sister had had a mastectomy about 18 months before and had been cared for by the same hospital. My sister had life long severe learning difficulties and schizophrenia. Over the evening and into the night of her admission she became increasingly unwell and sadly passed away around 9 am the next day. We were able to be with her until she was transferred into the critical care unit as the doctors fought to save her. We were allowed to be with her again when she was on life support and with her as she lost her battle. Our hearts went out to the doctors and nurses because the incredible effort they gave to trying to save my sister was extraordinary and although it is their vocation there was no doubting the personal pain they felt with us. My sister's death was sudden and shocking, it was also merciful and dignified because of the care she was given.

The NHS is under incredible pressure. This is exacerbated by the media and its reporting, which does not seem to be interested in the context in which hospitals are operating. In my time in the hospital I received the care I needed at all times, especially during the day when ward staff are often at their busiest. I saw the pressure on beds from the moment of my admission. I witnessed the 'lead by example' practice of two of the hospital's top clinicians and I saw this in the middle of the night, especially in critical care. I saw the incredible patience of ward nursing staff in the face of genuine muddles that patients suffer through being in hospital because they are unwell. I am grateful to the cleaning and the food service staff and I witnessed some of these people voluntarily helping clinical staff with invaluable language interpretation for patients who were from the same country as the staff but had very little English. These people would also engage with their fellow country people when serving them which I saw helped to break their isolation and loneliness.

We don't hear these things reported, we just hear about missed targets and the unrealistic and unforgiving expectations of the media led public.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind words about the care and treatment you have received from the hospital. I am pleased to read you have been well cared for by the teams you are under.
I am sorry to read your sister passed away at the hospital and send you my condolences. I am pleased to read that she was treated with dignity and respect while she was under our care. Thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise and we will share this with all involved.
May I take tbis opportunity to send you our best wishes for the future,

Patient Opinion Logo

Anand gave Ophthalmology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks

The 2 consultants looked after me , for my eye problem, for nearly 3 years now discharged I thought its time to appreciate and thank them for their work. This goes to all the staff with them including the reception team. Best wishes .

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about the care and treatment you received from the Ophthalmology Department. Please be assured we will share this with all staff involved with your care. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Patient Opinion Logo

Polly gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Dignified professional care

Thank you to the staff on Denton Ward for caring so attentivley, sensitively, respectivley to my father. You all made a difficult time in our families life so much calmer by caring for our family member so well.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your kind comments about the care and treatment your father received while he was on Denton Ward. I am pleased to read that staff were attentive, sensitive and respectful towards him, We will share your comments with the staff involved in his care and thank you for taking the time to write.

Patient Opinion Logo

Jacqui Osullivan gave Plastic surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

SDAU

The staff were all extremely caring and helpful.From admission to the same day procedure unit this could not be faulted.The operating staff, after care and the surgeon all were first class.I can not say thank you enough.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 30 January 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent experiences at the hospital. I am pleased to read you received a good standard of care. Thank you for taking the time to write and we will share your thanks and praise with all staff involved in your care.

Wendy Shearing gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I had a removal of a Meibonium cyst on my eye. Staff were all cheerful and friendly. The doctor and 2 nurses were kind and explained everything checking hat I understood what would happen. There was was a delay for my appointment and a nurse apologised to those of us waiting and said roughly how long the doctor was running behind and why and even asked if anyone needed a glass of water. I was very nervous but found everyone very kind. Hospital was clean and pleasant. Thank you x. This was as an outpatient in the eye clinic

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 31 January 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your care and treatment in the Eye Clinic. I am pleased to read that staff were cheerful and friendly and kept you updated. Please be assured I will share this with all involved in your care. I hope you are recovering well following your procedure.