Hospital Of St Cross

Address: Barby Rd, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 5PX
Website: http://www.uhcw.nhs.uk/

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Emergency stitches

My Father fell over about a month ago . We were advised to go to Rugby were he received excellent treatment . A nurse treated my father and stitched his very difficult wound really well leaving a simple scar of which I am very pleased as is my father . All the staff made my Father feel calm and confident in the treatment he was getting ,he also has Parkinsons and was pleased to chat to the staff about it as they continued the conversation making him very relaxed . Well done St Cross

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 04 May 2015

Hospital Of St Cross has not yet replied.

jennifer watson gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

brilliant from start to finish couldn't fault any staff

The information and decision making was a joint choice. From start to finish I was allowed to go at my own pace. With the exceptionally brilliant staff I was passed fit to return home the next day. I can't praise them enough well done.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 March 2015

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 09 March 2015

Dear Jennifer

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience of the Orthopaedic Department at the Hospital of St Cross, Rugby in March 2015.

I am delighted to hear that you had a positive experience and you were involved in the decision making about your care. I’m also very pleased to hear you can’t praise our exceptional staff enough; I have forwarded your comments to department manager so the team can be thanked on your behalf.
The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients, and your kind comments will be shared with the relevant staff.

Viveak Phull gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 3 stars

Operation

Dear Sir/Madam

Before I start, I would like to say that I have not yet visited this site yet as my operation is supposed to be at this hospital and all communications have been via phone and correspondence.

I have been waiting to have my operation on my knee for over 6 months. I was supposed to have my operation in March, only to have it cancelled and moved by a month and half because I was placed on the 'wrong list'. I gave the benifit of the doubt and accepted to have my date changed to the 7th April 2015. I have now received a phone call to say it will be moved again to the 14th April 2015. Yes it is only a week, but for someone who has been waiting over 6 months to have this operation a week can feel like a long time. I asked as to why this was and the answer I got was it was at th consultant's request. I am now in the fear of receiving a phone call each time to say it is cancelled.

I have been in a lot pain through out this time and have been out of sporting activities. This has caused me a substansial amount of inconvenience as I now feel insecure about myself due not having this operation any sooner. I simply want this procedure done. I have a holiday booked for the 2nd June 2015 and want to be off crutches by then but if this procedure keeps getting delayed, I won't be.

I cannot express how much I need this done, with regards to the pain everyday. Please can this be looked into.

Kind Regards,
Viveak Phull

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 01 April 2015

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 09 April 2015

Dear Viveak

Thank you for taking the time to get leave feedback about your experience with our service prior to having your operation.

I apologise that you have had to wait over six months for your knee operation as we try hard to reduce waiting times and treat patients as soon as possible.

After seeing your post it was clear that you have not received the level of service we expect and our communications with you should have been better to avoid confusion, so again I would like to apologise for this.

I would urge you to contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203, so we can look into this further. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

CV2 2DX

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Telephone 0800 028 4203

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 2 stars

Minor injuries clinic sexist - was misdiagnosed and ignored.

Very disappointed with the minor injuries clinic.

I went in with very severe pain in my big toe - stabbing pains in the joint that were preventing me from sleeping. It was in an area that I had previously broken, and I had recently been very active on it, so I was concerned that it had re-broken or the fracture had healed wrong.

I also had a skin rash, which I have self-diagnosed to be pityriasis rosea, but I needed confirmation on that before I could give blood. Given that this clinic was also apparently for skin conditions, I thought I would also ask about that - in case it was syphilis!

I went in, and it was evident I was being laughed at by the first gentleman who took my details. He did, however, note down both conditions. I was disheartened, and made to feel like I was making a fuss, but thought that perhaps when I saw the next doctor they would take me seriously.

The next doctor looked at my foot, ignoring all my statements about extreme pain in the night, and told me that it was just rubbed up a bit from wearing high heels. I told him that I haven't work high heels in over a year, haven't recently changed my footwear, and indeed go barefoot most of the time at home.
I also asked why this would cause stabbing pains in the joint at night, to which he replied 'well, there's not a lot in there [the toe], so it's got to be inflammation from the wrong shoes.'
I had not felt any rubbing at all, and the skin itself was fine, but he was clearly not interested.

I was about to ask about the skin rash, which he should have had written on his notes, when he said 'ok then' and just walked away.

I left feeling humiliated, undiagnosed, and in continued pain. The fact that he assumed I'd been wearing heels, and that I was making a fuss about the pain, shows an unacceptable degree of sexism.

I spoke to some friends about the experience afterwards, and they immediately diagnosed me with gout in my toe. This fits all the symptoms, and I am (unsurprisingly) not inclined to see a doctor to confirm this, given my previosu treatment. I shall have to deal with it myself.

That a doctor could not recognise this as gout, and that the extreme pain that I was in should be ignored, is absurd. I cannot help but think that had I been a man, the doctor would have believed me about the pain, and not simply assumed that I'd been wearing high heels too often - a diagnosis which even an uneducated layman would discount.

Also, the fact that he did not even look at, acknowledge, or attempt to diagnose my skin condition is appalling.

The clinic was not busy, there was only one other person, and fortunately the waiting time was only around 15 minutes. If there were lots of other emergencies I would have understood, but this was unacceptable.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

Hospital Of St Cross has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 2 stars

unhappy with waiting time with injured child

i went to a and e last night we sat in a dirty waiting area for hours and hours there was bloody tissues on floor that we not removed even when i brought this to the attention of staff they still remained on floor nurses were rude and when i asked how much longer we would be waiting after a 3 hour wait we were told we were next when we clearly wasnt and still waited over another hour to be seen my son was in pain the whole time he was not offered any pain relief at all they was no care at all

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 12 November 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 29 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Urgent Care Centre in the Hospital of St Cross, Rugby in November 2014.

I am disappointed to hear that the cleanliness levels were not as expected in the waiting area; this is not the high standard we expect. I would also like to apologise if you felt any of our staff were rude, one of our Trust values is compassion and we expect staff to be polite and helpful at all times.

I have raised your concerns with the Modern Matron at Hospital of St Cross so we can improve our service, ensuring the waiting area cleanliness is maintained and remind staff of their compassion value.

At times patients will unfortunately experience long waits at the Urgent Care Centre, however your son should have been offered pain relief early on during your visit.

I would encourage you to discuss aspects of your son’s care further, please contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

Telephone 0800 028 4203

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

I was a patient on Cedar Ward for my TKR on Monday 24 November and returned...

I was a patient on Cedar Ward for my TKR on Monday 24 November and returned home on Thursday 27 November.
All the way through, from my initial appointment earlier in the year with the doctor to my stay on Cedar Ward I was treated as a person and not a hospital number!

Every single member of staff, cleaners, HCAs, nursing staff, physios and doctors were absolutely superb. Questions were answered, fears put to rest and everything was done to ensure comfort and speedy recovery of the patient. I really can't praise you enough.

I was also impressed with the compassion shown to an older lady in my bay who had broken her hip after suffering a fall. Initially she was very confused and didn't want to eat and was treated so kindly and gently with a member of staff sitting and feeding her. With such loving care after a couple of days she was feeding herself.

And this is what nursing should be!! If one hospital can do this so well then surely it's not rocket science for this to be held up as an example to others.

I have only one small area of concern which I don't want to air publicly but would be happy to speak about with the Ward Manager.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 30 November 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 08 December 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent Total Knee Replacement and your experience on Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross, Rugby in November 2014.

I am delighted that you had a positive experience and that you are happy with the care you received. It is wonderful to hear that staff made the procedure and stay as comfortable as possible for you, whilst putting your fears at ease.

One of our Trust values is compassion, so it is very pleasing to hear that you saw our staff being compassionate and caring not only with yourself but with other patients in your bay.

We would be grateful to hear from you about the small area of concern you had, as all feedback, positive or negative, is vital to us understanding what is important to our patients and how we can improve our services. If you would like to give us more feedback about your experience please contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

CV2 2DX

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand our patients’ experiences, and please be assured your kind comments will be shared with the relevant staff.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Excellent friendly service

I woke up in the middle of the night with severe earache following an ear syringe at my local GP practice. I visited the walk in centre at 5am and the staff were friendly and quickly diagnosed and treated me for an ear infection. I was really very impressed with the service I received and very grateful as I was then able to get some sleep. Many thanks.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 12 October 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 13 October 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience of our Urgent Care Centre at Hospital of St Cross, Rugby in October 2014, when you visited us for diagnosis and treatment of an ear infection.

Please be assured that the Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients, and your kind comments will be shared with the relevant staff.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Nicholas Leahy gave Urgent care centre at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Accident with axe

Would like to thank all the brilliant staff of this unit for fixing my thumb after a little accident I had.

Nicholas Leahy

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 01 November 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 January 2015

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at the Hospital of St Cross, Rugby.
I am delighted to hear that you had a positive experience and that you are happy with the care you received. It is great to read that you would describe our staff as brilliant. These are standards we strive for.

Jacquelineiris gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery Unit

On Friday the 12th September I went into the day surgery unit at Rugby St Cross for a knee arthroscopy
I cannot speak too highly of the care and attention I received from all of the surgical and nursing teams, they were all magnificent. I was very scared of having the General Anaesthetic as I have had problems in the past both with sickness and waking up. The anaesthetist was wonderful putting me at ease and offering me a spinal block so I could be awake, unfortunately this did not work for me and I had to have a general anaesthetic after all. The staff were excellent and it was only because of their kindness that I felt more confident .This kindness continued into the recovery room when I woke up with no sickness and the anaesthetist even came to check that I was alright. The aftercare on the day ward was second to none and the nurses were very caring nothing was too much trouble for them and when I had a small problem and was informed I would have to move to a ward and stay overnight once again I was made at ease by the staff. I just want to say thank you to everyone for looking after me you were all brilliant.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 January 2015

I am delighted to hear that you had a positive experience and that you are happy with the care you received. It is wonderful to hear your kind words about the staff and we have passed this on to the department to be shared among the staff.

darren gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

great

Had to come here for day surgery ( knee arthroscopy) absolutely amazing the nursing staff where great hospital was clean i really can't fault the whole experience i had the same procedure a year ago at Nuneaton which was shockingly bad so thanks to all at St Cross for restoring my faith in the nhs. Keep up the good work

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 27 September 2014

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 January 2015

I am delighted to hear that you had a positive experience and that you are happy with the care you received. It is wonderful to hear that you couldn’t fault your experience.