Hospital Of St Cross

01788 572831 Barby Rd , Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 5PX

Rachael gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Oral surgery

. I usually attended Univirsty Coventry hospital but as the waiting time for Coventry was 10 months plus o was offered to attend st cross rugby.
So glad I did, extremely lovely polite staff through out, and from my experience a lot better ran from check in to surgery to sign out.
In the future I will be requesting this hospital if I'm ever to attend for any procedures :)

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Rachael,

Thank you very much for providing feedback following your surgery at the Hospital of St Cross. I hope that you have been recovering well after your procedure.

I was delighted to read that you were happy with every aspect of your care, and that you had found our staff so polite and kind. I will pass on your comments to the Matrons and Manager at the hospital.

If you do want to speak to someone about the issues you have had previously at University Hospital in Coventry, I would encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203 or on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk. Please make them aware that you have left comments on NHS Choices.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. Thank you again for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

Sue Tuckwell gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement surgery

Cannot fault my treatment on Cedar Ward. Everyone who was involved in my care whilst on the ward were so kind and caring. I had everything explained clearly to me every step of the way and staff took time to listen to my worries and if necessary explain over again. As a result this made me feel more calm and relaxed which can only be a good thing. When I became ill shortly after my operation, doctors and nurses reacted very quickly to treat me and took time to not only reassure me but to talk to my husband as well. When I was discharged I was told to phone the ward if I had any concerns at all. This made me feel safer as well.
Thank you all so much.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 26 August 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 05 September 2017

Dear Sue,

Thank you very much for providing feedback following your stay on Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross. I do hope you've been doing well after your surgery. I was sorry to hear that you had become unwell immediately following your operation, but I was really pleased to read how well the nurses and consultants had cared for you, how quickly they had responded to your concerns, and how well they had explained your procedure to both yourself and your husband. I have passed on your message of thanks to the team involved in your care.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 4 stars

Very friendly small scale hospital

I went to St Cross on July 26, 2017 for a dental procedure. From beginning to end I was well taken care of, and the very knowledgeable nurses and consultants informed me elaborately about every step to be taken.
If I ever have to undergo a surgical procedure again hopefully I will be sent to St Cross once more!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 28 July 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback following your visit to our hospital this week for a dental procedure. I hope you've been doing well after your surgery. I was really pleased to read how well the nurses and consultants had cared for you and that you found them very knowledgeable, and I will be passing on your message to the team involved in your care.

Husbands stay on Ceader Ward

My Husband went in for Surgery on his foot, from the moment we walked into the Day Surgery Unit the staff were organised and made us feel very welcome. All the Surgeons and Doctors were informative and put my Husband at ease. My Husband then had a two day stay on Ceder ward and the staff were just as welcoming and Organised. Nothing was too much trouble. Lots of cups of tea and felt well cared for. Cleanliness was second to none.
Can not thank the staff enough. Would highly recommend this Hospital to anybody.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 23 June 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your husband's experience of care in Day Surgery and on Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross for an operation on his foot. I hope your husband has been continuing to recover well after his operation.

I was so pleased to hear that both you and your husband had found the staff on both Day Surgery and Cedar Ward to be so welcoming, informative and organised, and that you said you would recommend the hospital to others. This is exactly the kind of care that we aim to provide and I'm delighted that you both had such a good experience.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. I will pass on your kind comments to the Manager and Matron for these services so that they can pass on your thanks to the team.

Lynda Ostrowski gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Cedar ward

Staff from theatre, recovery, nurses, physiotherapist were all very kind and caring. The cleaner was thorough and worked hard to keep the ward spotless. The meals were appertising and plentiful. Everyone worked hard together to make your stay a comfortable one. At times I felt extra nurses were needed especially at break times. I would like to thank everyone for the care I was given.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 05 July 2017

Dear Lynda,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross in May. I hope you've been continuing to recover well.

I was really pleased to read that, although you felt like more nurses were needed, you received such good care from everyone who cared for you, from the surgery and theatre teams to the ward staff, cleaners and hostesses. It was also really lovely to hear that you felt that everyone on Cedar Ward was working together as a team.

I have passed on your comments to the manager at the hospital, as well as the people who manage the cleaning and catering staff, so that they can thank the teams who provided such good care to you.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 4 stars

Overall good hospital but some things could work better

I had a hip operation and was treated well.

I wrote an earlier review but wrote it on my phone, and on the mobile site it does not tell you that you cannot mention names, which was a shame as 2 nurses on Cedar ward were particularly good and I felt well cared for on that first day.

I did think that they were understaffed as they ran around like heaven knows what all day.

I think a little care could have been taken when delivering meals. Mine was dumped on my table and the catering staff walked straight away. Given that I could not move to reach the table to pull it towards me and there was no nurse to be seen for a while (I told you they were understaffed) meant that it took me several minutes to roll, shuffle, lean out of bed etc before I was able to grab the table and pull it towards me. At that point I found that the table was almost the height of my chin. Such a simple thing for catering staff to put right, taking a few seconds per patient and requiring no skill or nursing qualification.

The following day I waited hours for discharge and there was literally no nurses seen all afternoon. Eventually my husband arrived and we found a tame pharmacist sitting at the desk who told me that the staff looking after me had all gone home! They had only arrived at 7 that morning so it was a weird shift pattern to have gone home by 4 in the afternoon.

The overall experience was ok but one or two things could be improved.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 14 August 2017

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience on Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross in May.

I was pleased to read that in general you were happy with your care, and that you had found two nurses to be especially caring.

However, I was disappointed to read that you had faced delays in being discharged and had felt that there were not enough nurses available.

I have spoken with one of the Modern Matrons at the hospital, who would like to apologise for your experience. She would like to assure you that there is a trained nurse allocated to care for each patient on every shift 24 hours a day. However, we are very sorry that this was not evident on the afternoon you mentioned in your review. The Ward Manager has raised this with the team.

I was also very sorry to hear about your meals being placed out of reach. I have shared your comments with our catering provider, ISS, so that they can remind the staff based at the Hospital of St Cross to take greater care when placing meals, especially for patients who are recovering from operations.

We are grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you again for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

MartinB gave Diagnostic Imaging at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 3 stars

Offhand and arrogant

Completed for a friend for whom i provede care and support who is presently exhausted and in great pain . . . You would think that a person with severe mobility problems and in pain would be scanned in their nearest hospital. No, the best part of a day struggling to get from the other side of Coventry, past Walsgrave to an obscure corner of Rugby and all this on a bank Holiday with disrupted public transport.

Then, when tired and confused, papers were left behind a call was made intending to ask him to return to collect!! Trying to return the call we found that the number reported by the caller did not exist (hey! now public services are discouraged from playing secret squirrel by cloaking their number they just programme in a non-existent one instead). A call to the Universities Hospitals switchboard got an irritated and dismissive reply saying that the department was not working. Having assured the switchboard that it was I was put on a line that rang out until it dropped from exhaustion . . . Clearly Walsgrave switchboard is incapable of finding the right extension.

So, called Rugby direct and was put through by another person who asked why i had not called the main switchboard at Walsgrave - Duh! At the unit I was appraised of the reason for the call. Clearly no-one had considered the patient and his mobility problem. I suggested a stamp and an envelope and the post. Then asked what if it was lost . . . Explained that that was less likely than the patient losing it given his condition and possibility of collapse on the journeys! Eventually the point was grasped.

It seems to me that this is a big, impersonal, uncaring machine that is focussed on its own admin and concerns and patients are almost an irritation. This is not the first time I've been appalled by Coventry Universities Hospital Trust just that I've found this review process.

It would be nice to think that someone actually reads and takes notice and, better still, get a grip . . .

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Dear Martin,
Thank you for providing feedback on your and your friend’s experience of Diagnostic Imaging at the Hospital of St Cross. I was very sorry to hear that your friend was not offered an appointment at a hospital closer to their home, and also that you had felt the staff in the Switchboard and our Imaging Department were unhelpful and rude over the phone. These are not at all the standards which we aim to provide, and would like to apologise for your and your friend’s experience.
I have spoken to the Manager for this service, and the company which manages our Switchboard to make them aware of your concerns. They would like to encourage you or your friend to speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that they can look into your concerns in more detail. You can contact them on 0800 028 4203, or by email on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk. If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website. It would also really help the company which manages our Switchboard to investigate this issue if you could provide details of the date(s) and times that you called them.
In the meantime if you or your friend need to reach the Rugby Radiology Department, their direct number is 01788 663260.

steroid hip injection

Thank you to all the staff who cared for me on Monday 8th May , i cannot fault the hospital at all, the staff were really friendly, welcoming and very professional at all times. This is an excellent hospital.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross for a steroid hip injection.

I was delighted to read that you received such good care at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be friendly and professional. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Nick Cole gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Full knee replacement operation

During my time at Cedar Ward everyone was so professional. All staff were caring, helpful and happy in their work. All aspects of my stay was explained perfectly be it medical of what was going to happen and why. I felt safe and secure that I was being treated with dignity and care by a very experienced team who made me feel secure that the treatment I received was the best. Cedar Ward runs in a way that other Hospitals should emulate. I'm sure it is largely down the the Staff themselves and I would like to express my praise for the Ward nurses and their Staff who were faultless in delivering the care they did. I would like to single out a particular member of staff for their professionalism and the time they took to make sure everything was fully explained and how they dealt with some slightly 'difficult', not me, patients. When I was discharged nothing was left unexplained and they made sue sure I was safely in a car on my way home. I would like to express heart-felt thanks to all associated with Cedar Ward a shing example of Gteamwork in the NHS at it best

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 26 May 2017

Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross for a knee replacement. I hope you've been continuing to recover well after your operation.

I was delighted to read that you were treated with care and dignity at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be professional and that they had explained everything you needed to know about your operation and rehabilitation. I have passed on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital so that they can thank the teams who cared for you.

excellent care on Cedar Ward

I am writing this on behalf of my mum who had a hip replacement on Cedar ward on the 8th May 2017. My mum said the kindness and consideration of all the staff was exemplary. Nothing was too much trouble and all the nurses and health care assistants constantly checked on her, ensured she had enough to eat and drink and was pain free. She said they were incredibly kind to her. She also said the ward was kept warm at all times and although she was never disturbed at night, she felt the presence of someone checking on her which was very comforting. My mum was very worried about her anaesthetic and had her fears relieved by a very kind anaesthetist who ensured she was kept warm and calm through the operation.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 14 June 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your mum's experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross last month for a hip replacement. I hope she has been continuing to recover well after her operation.

I was delighted to hear that the nurses and healthcare assistants took such good care of your mum, and were so kind to her. It was also lovely to read how our anaesthetist had been compassionate and reassuring to her when she was worried about the anaesthetic part of her procedure. This is exactly the standard of care that we aim to provide to all our patients, and I'm so pleased that you felt your mum was in such good care. I will pass on your kind comments to the senior nurses at the hospital.