Hospital Of St Cross

01788 572831 Barby Rd , Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 5PX

Husbands stay on Ceader Ward

My Husband went in for Surgery on his foot, from the moment we walked into the Day Surgery Unit the staff were organised and made us feel very welcome. All the Surgeons and Doctors were informative and put my Husband at ease. My Husband then had a two day stay on Ceder ward and the staff were just as welcoming and Organised. Nothing was too much trouble. Lots of cups of tea and felt well cared for. Cleanliness was second to none.
Can not thank the staff enough. Would highly recommend this Hospital to anybody.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 23 June 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your husband's experience of care in Day Surgery and on Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross for an operation on his foot. I hope your husband has been continuing to recover well after his operation.

I was so pleased to hear that both you and your husband had found the staff on both Day Surgery and Cedar Ward to be so welcoming, informative and organised, and that you said you would recommend the hospital to others. This is exactly the kind of care that we aim to provide and I'm delighted that you both had such a good experience.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. I will pass on your kind comments to the Manager and Matron for these services so that they can pass on your thanks to the team.

Lynda Ostrowski gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Cedar ward

Staff from theatre, recovery, nurses, physiotherapist were all very kind and caring. The cleaner was thorough and worked hard to keep the ward spotless. The meals were appertising and plentiful. Everyone worked hard together to make your stay a comfortable one. At times I felt extra nurses were needed especially at break times. I would like to thank everyone for the care I was given.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 05 July 2017

Dear Lynda,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross in May. I hope you've been continuing to recover well.

I was really pleased to read that, although you felt like more nurses were needed, you received such good care from everyone who cared for you, from the surgery and theatre teams to the ward staff, cleaners and hostesses. It was also really lovely to hear that you felt that everyone on Cedar Ward was working together as a team.

I have passed on your comments to the manager at the hospital, as well as the people who manage the cleaning and catering staff, so that they can thank the teams who provided such good care to you.

Nick Cole gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Full knee replacement operation

During my time at Cedar Ward everyone was so professional. All staff were caring, helpful and happy in their work. All aspects of my stay was explained perfectly be it medical of what was going to happen and why. I felt safe and secure that I was being treated with dignity and care by a very experienced team who made me feel secure that the treatment I received was the best. Cedar Ward runs in a way that other Hospitals should emulate. I'm sure it is largely down the the Staff themselves and I would like to express my praise for the Ward nurses and their Staff who were faultless in delivering the care they did. I would like to single out a particular member of staff for their professionalism and the time they took to make sure everything was fully explained and how they dealt with some slightly 'difficult', not me, patients. When I was discharged nothing was left unexplained and they made sue sure I was safely in a car on my way home. I would like to express heart-felt thanks to all associated with Cedar Ward a shing example of Gteamwork in the NHS at it best

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 26 May 2017

Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross for a knee replacement. I hope you've been continuing to recover well after your operation.

I was delighted to read that you were treated with care and dignity at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be professional and that they had explained everything you needed to know about your operation and rehabilitation. I have passed on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital so that they can thank the teams who cared for you.

excellent care on Cedar Ward

I am writing this on behalf of my mum who had a hip replacement on Cedar ward on the 8th May 2017. My mum said the kindness and consideration of all the staff was exemplary. Nothing was too much trouble and all the nurses and health care assistants constantly checked on her, ensured she had enough to eat and drink and was pain free. She said they were incredibly kind to her. She also said the ward was kept warm at all times and although she was never disturbed at night, she felt the presence of someone checking on her which was very comforting. My mum was very worried about her anaesthetic and had her fears relieved by a very kind anaesthetist who ensured she was kept warm and calm through the operation.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 14 June 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your mum's experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross last month for a hip replacement. I hope she has been continuing to recover well after her operation.

I was delighted to hear that the nurses and healthcare assistants took such good care of your mum, and were so kind to her. It was also lovely to read how our anaesthetist had been compassionate and reassuring to her when she was worried about the anaesthetic part of her procedure. This is exactly the standard of care that we aim to provide to all our patients, and I'm so pleased that you felt your mum was in such good care. I will pass on your kind comments to the senior nurses at the hospital.

MartinB gave Diagnostic Imaging at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 3 stars

Offhand and arrogant

Completed for a friend for whom i provede care and support who is presently exhausted and in great pain . . . You would think that a person with severe mobility problems and in pain would be scanned in their nearest hospital. No, the best part of a day struggling to get from the other side of Coventry, past Walsgrave to an obscure corner of Rugby and all this on a bank Holiday with disrupted public transport.

Then, when tired and confused, papers were left behind a call was made intending to ask him to return to collect!! Trying to return the call we found that the number reported by the caller did not exist (hey! now public services are discouraged from playing secret squirrel by cloaking their number they just programme in a non-existent one instead). A call to the Universities Hospitals switchboard got an irritated and dismissive reply saying that the department was not working. Having assured the switchboard that it was I was put on a line that rang out until it dropped from exhaustion . . . Clearly Walsgrave switchboard is incapable of finding the right extension.

So, called Rugby direct and was put through by another person who asked why i had not called the main switchboard at Walsgrave - Duh! At the unit I was appraised of the reason for the call. Clearly no-one had considered the patient and his mobility problem. I suggested a stamp and an envelope and the post. Then asked what if it was lost . . . Explained that that was less likely than the patient losing it given his condition and possibility of collapse on the journeys! Eventually the point was grasped.

It seems to me that this is a big, impersonal, uncaring machine that is focussed on its own admin and concerns and patients are almost an irritation. This is not the first time I've been appalled by Coventry Universities Hospital Trust just that I've found this review process.

It would be nice to think that someone actually reads and takes notice and, better still, get a grip . . .

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Dear Martin,
Thank you for providing feedback on your and your friend’s experience of Diagnostic Imaging at the Hospital of St Cross. I was very sorry to hear that your friend was not offered an appointment at a hospital closer to their home, and also that you had felt the staff in the Switchboard and our Imaging Department were unhelpful and rude over the phone. These are not at all the standards which we aim to provide, and would like to apologise for your and your friend’s experience.
I have spoken to the Manager for this service, and the company which manages our Switchboard to make them aware of your concerns. They would like to encourage you or your friend to speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that they can look into your concerns in more detail. You can contact them on 0800 028 4203, or by email on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk. If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website. It would also really help the company which manages our Switchboard to investigate this issue if you could provide details of the date(s) and times that you called them.
In the meantime if you or your friend need to reach the Rugby Radiology Department, their direct number is 01788 663260.

steroid hip injection

Thank you to all the staff who cared for me on Monday 8th May , i cannot fault the hospital at all, the staff were really friendly, welcoming and very professional at all times. This is an excellent hospital.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross for a steroid hip injection.

I was delighted to read that you received such good care at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be friendly and professional. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Barbara gave Nephrology at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

great hospital.

Ive been an inpatient and out patient many times and in many different departmets at St Cross, and every time have found all staff, extremely caring,and helpful.If i had my choice, then St Cross would be the only hospital id choose to be treated in.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Dear Barbara,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experiences of care at the Hospital of St Cross as both an inpatient and outpatient.

I was delighted to read that you've had such good care at our hospital over the years, and that you've found our staff so caring and helpful. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Jo gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Very efficient

I had to go and have a chest x ray. I was in and out within 10minutes, the staff were very helpful and efficient.
It's a shame rugby hospital isn't used to its full potential

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Dear Jo,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent visit to our hospital.

I was so pleased to read that you found our staff so helpful and efficient and that you didn't have long to wait for your X-ray. I have contacted the matrons and manager of the hospital to pass on your kind comments.

Karen gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Hoskin Ward

Would like to thank all staff looking after my dad this last week and half on the ward. So welcoming and caring. Always someone around from drs, nurses, physics, tea trolley helpers and cleaners. Nothing too much for any of them. The support and care is fantastic. Your fantastic reviews are so well deserved.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your father's care in Hoskyn Ward at the Hospital of St Cross.

I was so pleased to read that our staff had provided your father, as well as you and your family, with such good care and support. I have passed on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital so that they can thank the whole team on Hoskyn Ward.

Anonymous gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Visit for ankle injury

The waiting room looked quite busy when I hobbled in but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly people were being treated. Before I knew it, it was my turn and the nurse looking after me was wonderful. I was immediately sent to X-ray and was diagnosed with a sprain very quickly. What s lovely department.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross after you injured your ankle. I hope you've been continuing to recover well.

I was really pleased to hear that despite our Urgent Care Centre being busy, you were seen quickly and were able to receive an X-ray confirming you hadn't broken a bone.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients, and I've passed on your kind comments to the Modern Matrons and Manager at the hospital.