Hospital Of St Cross

01788 572831 Barby Rd , Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 5PX

MartinB gave Diagnostic Imaging at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 3 stars

Offhand and arrogant

Completed for a friend for whom i provede care and support who is presently exhausted and in great pain . . . You would think that a person with severe mobility problems and in pain would be scanned in their nearest hospital. No, the best part of a day struggling to get from the other side of Coventry, past Walsgrave to an obscure corner of Rugby and all this on a bank Holiday with disrupted public transport.

Then, when tired and confused, papers were left behind a call was made intending to ask him to return to collect!! Trying to return the call we found that the number reported by the caller did not exist (hey! now public services are discouraged from playing secret squirrel by cloaking their number they just programme in a non-existent one instead). A call to the Universities Hospitals switchboard got an irritated and dismissive reply saying that the department was not working. Having assured the switchboard that it was I was put on a line that rang out until it dropped from exhaustion . . . Clearly Walsgrave switchboard is incapable of finding the right extension.

So, called Rugby direct and was put through by another person who asked why i had not called the main switchboard at Walsgrave - Duh! At the unit I was appraised of the reason for the call. Clearly no-one had considered the patient and his mobility problem. I suggested a stamp and an envelope and the post. Then asked what if it was lost . . . Explained that that was less likely than the patient losing it given his condition and possibility of collapse on the journeys! Eventually the point was grasped.

It seems to me that this is a big, impersonal, uncaring machine that is focussed on its own admin and concerns and patients are almost an irritation. This is not the first time I've been appalled by Coventry Universities Hospital Trust just that I've found this review process.

It would be nice to think that someone actually reads and takes notice and, better still, get a grip . . .

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Dear Martin,
Thank you for providing feedback on your and your friend’s experience of Diagnostic Imaging at the Hospital of St Cross. I was very sorry to hear that your friend was not offered an appointment at a hospital closer to their home, and also that you had felt the staff in the Switchboard and our Imaging Department were unhelpful and rude over the phone. These are not at all the standards which we aim to provide, and would like to apologise for your and your friend’s experience.
I have spoken to the Manager for this service, and the company which manages our Switchboard to make them aware of your concerns. They would like to encourage you or your friend to speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that they can look into your concerns in more detail. You can contact them on 0800 028 4203, or by email on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk. If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website. It would also really help the company which manages our Switchboard to investigate this issue if you could provide details of the date(s) and times that you called them.
In the meantime if you or your friend need to reach the Rugby Radiology Department, their direct number is 01788 663260.
The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

steroid hip injection

Thank you to all the staff who cared for me on Monday 8th May , i cannot fault the hospital at all, the staff were really friendly, welcoming and very professional at all times. This is an excellent hospital.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross for a steroid hip injection.

I was delighted to read that you received such good care at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be friendly and professional. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Nick Cole gave Orthopaedics at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Full knee replacement operation

During my time at Cedar Ward everyone was so professional. All staff were caring, helpful and happy in their work. All aspects of my stay was explained perfectly be it medical of what was going to happen and why. I felt safe and secure that I was being treated with dignity and care by a very experienced team who made me feel secure that the treatment I received was the best. Cedar Ward runs in a way that other Hospitals should emulate. I'm sure it is largely down the the Staff themselves and I would like to express my praise for the Ward nurses and their Staff who were faultless in delivering the care they did. I would like to single out a particular member of staff for their professionalism and the time they took to make sure everything was fully explained and how they dealt with some slightly 'difficult', not me, patients. When I was discharged nothing was left unexplained and they made sue sure I was safely in a car on my way home. I would like to express heart-felt thanks to all associated with Cedar Ward a shing example of Gteamwork in the NHS at it best

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 26 May 2017

Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care of Cedar Ward at the Hospital of St Cross for a knee replacement. I hope you've been continuing to recover well after your operation.

I was delighted to read that you were treated with care and dignity at our hospital, and that you found our staff to be professional and that they had explained everything you needed to know about your operation and rehabilitation. I have passed on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital so that they can thank the teams who cared for you.

Barbara gave Nephrology at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

great hospital.

Ive been an inpatient and out patient many times and in many different departmets at St Cross, and every time have found all staff, extremely caring,and helpful.If i had my choice, then St Cross would be the only hospital id choose to be treated in.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Dear Barbara,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experiences of care at the Hospital of St Cross as both an inpatient and outpatient.

I was delighted to read that you've had such good care at our hospital over the years, and that you've found our staff so caring and helpful. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Jo gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Very efficient

I had to go and have a chest x ray. I was in and out within 10minutes, the staff were very helpful and efficient.
It's a shame rugby hospital isn't used to its full potential

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Dear Jo,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent visit to our hospital.

I was so pleased to read that you found our staff so helpful and efficient and that you didn't have long to wait for your X-ray. I have contacted the matrons and manager of the hospital to pass on your kind comments.

Karen gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Hoskin Ward

Would like to thank all staff looking after my dad this last week and half on the ward. So welcoming and caring. Always someone around from drs, nurses, physics, tea trolley helpers and cleaners. Nothing too much for any of them. The support and care is fantastic. Your fantastic reviews are so well deserved.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your father's care in Hoskyn Ward at the Hospital of St Cross.

I was so pleased to read that our staff had provided your father, as well as you and your family, with such good care and support. I have passed on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital so that they can thank the whole team on Hoskyn Ward.

Anonymous gave Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Visit for ankle injury

The waiting room looked quite busy when I hobbled in but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly people were being treated. Before I knew it, it was my turn and the nurse looking after me was wonderful. I was immediately sent to X-ray and was diagnosed with a sprain very quickly. What s lovely department.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross after you injured your ankle. I hope you've been continuing to recover well.

I was really pleased to hear that despite our Urgent Care Centre being busy, you were seen quickly and were able to receive an X-ray confirming you hadn't broken a bone.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients, and I've passed on your kind comments to the Modern Matrons and Manager at the hospital.

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Hospital Of St Cross a rating of 5 stars

Excellent local Hospital

Have used the hospital as an outpatient and to give blood. This local hospital is an excellent example of the core values of the NHS and you are made to feel welcome and put at ease.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experiences of care at the Hospital of St Cross as an outpatient.

I was delighted to read that you've had such good care at our hospital, and that you've found our staff so welcoming. I will pass on your comments to the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Sarah Jane reviewed Hospital Of St Cross

Every smile feels genuine and loving

My story isn't about a single incident but the whole experience of attending the hospital of st cross rugby.
I am simply blown away by the quality of care across the whole hospital. I have had the pleasure of visiting the hospital 6 times in the past 3 years. 2 operations with overnight stay, 2 day visits for injections, pre-op visit and general Physio appt.
I left all my visits thinking wow what an amazing bunch of caring professionals. Each visit reaffirms my thoughts that this hospital is very special and quite remarkable.
Every smile feels genuine and loving. Respectful, thoughtful, considerate, kind, compassionate the list goes on and on. I leave each visit feeling enthused by the power of a simple smile and a caring voice. The medical teams are the same...quite inspiring.
At a time when the NHS is under immense pressure and you can see how busy the teams and wards are, the long hours- how do they do it? ! You can tell the staff enjoy working here; there's a lot of teamness and genuine warmth for each other.
I know nurses and hospital can get lots of praise for patient experiences and I have found this in other hospitals but not with the depth across all departments, teams, at every level. Wonderful to experience - I cannot thank you enough.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 17 March 2017

Dear Sarah Jane,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experiences of care at the Hospital of St Cross over the last three years. I hope you've been doing well since your operations.

I was delighted to read that you've had such good care at our hospital, and that you've found our staff so kind and respectful. I know your kind comments will mean so much to all the staff at the hospital, and I have passed them onto the manager and matrons.

Thank you for leaving your comments on Patient Opinion and NHS Choices.

FRED18 reviewed Hospital Of St Cross

All staff on ward were wonderful

Spinal decompression operation. Although male put in side ward on Cedar female. staff were all first class and pleasant with smiley faces and good at their jobs. This made stay in hospital good and I was impressed and they earn every penny. The people at the top of NHS should see the staff and find out how to run wards. All staff on ward were wonder full and I thank then very much.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 17 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Hospital Of St Cross replied on 21 March 2017

Dear Fred,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience of care at the Hospital of St Cross for an operation on your spine. I hope you've been doing well since your operation.

I was really pleased to hear that our staff provided you with such good care, and I have passed your comments onto the manager and matrons at the hospital.

Thank you for leaving your comments on Patient Opinion and NHS Choices.