Newark Hospital

01636 681681 Boundary Road , Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG24 4DE

Stephen Eyre gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Great staff & brilliant nurse poor doctor

I was kicked on my knee by a horse, my knee was split and needed stitches.

Receptionist was brilliant, efficient and made me feel relaxed.

The doctor looked at my knee and sent me down for X-ray

X-ray department were brilliant, efficient and fun which again relaxed me. No fractures.

Returned to the doctor who injected me with local annaesthetic and proceeded with the first of my 6 stitches, the first two were extremely painful but the rest I didn't feel. I can only surmise that the Doctor hadn't waited long enough for the anaesthetic to take effect. Resulting in needless and excruciating pain, my watching wife thought I was going pass out.

All stitched up and a sterile patch taped over the hairs on my legs (didn't stick properly). The doctor told us all done and asked me to go to the nurse for a tetanus shot. As we were leaving their room my wife asked how we should take care of the injury at home, perhaps an ice pack or some ibuprofen or pain killer. The doctor advised no ice pack but I could take some ibuprofen and to rest the leg.

That evening, my knee began to hurt. I was in sleepless agony all night, next morning I started to take a 30mg codeine (we had some at home from a previous prescription of my wife's) every 4 hours. I was in slightly less pain if I kept still but the 10m to bathroom almost had me fainting with pain. I thought the pain would start to get less but was getting worse so we called 111 early this morning.

The doctor at 111 was astonished that I hadn't been prescribed pain killers and suggested that my leg should be raised slightly and to use an ice pack, the doctor sorted me out with prescription naproxen and dihydrocodeine. Within 6 hours I was practically pain free and back to my normal self. I can now rest up in comfort whilst my knee mends itself.

The nurse who gave me the tetanus shot was outstanding, knowing I was nervous, they tricked me and I hadn't realised the needle had gone in! (Should be on a doctors salary!).

It was concerning that the 111 nurse advised that I should have gone to QMC and not to Newark as I would then have received a high standard of care.

In summary, I have needlessly endured 2 days and nights of mind bending pain.

I would be most interested in your views and comments.

Stephen Eyre

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Patient Experience Coordinator, Patient Experience, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 October 2017

Dear Mr Eyre,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that the services provided were not as you would expect as it is always our aim to provide a quality and effective service. In order to investigate and hopefully help to resolve your concerns, I would be grateful if you could please contact a member of our Patient Experience Team on 01623 672222 or email pet@sfh-tr.nhs.uk, the Patient Experience Office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.

S Mallows gave General Surgery at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day theatre on Minster Ward

From start to finish, my visit for a minor procedure was dealt with in a most caring and professional way. All staff were genuinely thoughtful and considerate . In a bizarre way, a day at the theatre proved really enjoyable!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Trevor c reviewed Newark Hospital

Good service, from receptionists to doctors.

On Saturday night after ringing 111 and waiting over 2 hours for a call back, we called them again as instructed if things changed only to be told someone would call us but if things changed to call them back.
So we gave up and went to Newark Urgent Care Center, they were very busy but we were seen by a nurse and then by the doctor who were both very good and the doctor was very patient and did not rush us. We were out within 2 hours.
Very good service from the receptionist through to the doctor.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Consultation Sept 1 2017

My wife had an appointment at Newark hospital on 1st September 2017 with the rheumatology department. We expected a short visit with a brief consultation but the service received was far more comprehensive. As we were due to run out of time on the car parking I went to wait in the car for my wife to complete her tests. After a long time I decided to put more parking time on the meter and find what had taken my wife so long. I discovered that my wife had a funny turn (vasovagal episode) and had collapsed. She couldn't speak highly enough of the staff when she informed me about what had happened. I want to take this opportunity to again thank the staff that looked after my wife today.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Dee gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful hospital!!

My mother in law was taken to Newark hospital following a fall at home . The staff were all brilliant , caring , supportive , professional, and her dignity was paramount to them. The environment was pristine clean also , I feel I must mention The Doctor and the Nurse were exceptional ,
A Huge "thank you " to an exceptional team in the Urgent Care Unit !!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 August 2017

Christine harding gave Rheumatology at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology outpatient department

I have been attending rheumatology outpatient department for the past few months and during this time I feel I have had exceptional care.
From my first appointment with Dr I have felt well looked after, listened to , informed and completely involved in decision making regarding treatment .
Everything has been explained thoroughly and I have always felt that I have been given plenty of time and not rushed during my appointments even though I am aware that they are part of a very busy department.
Today I met 2 nurse specialists (sorry I cannot remember their names !). They were so lovely , they listened to everything I had to say and made suggestions to help with my symptoms. They were both very compassionate, empathetic and professional and I would like to say a big thank you.
The care I have received at Newark has helped with what has been a stressful time for me.
Please pass on my praise .

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Jane Williams gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding kind care

My cat bit and scratched my hand last night and having had medical treatment for such a bite on a similar occasion years ago, I managed to drive myself to the Urgent Care Department at Newark Hospital. The care I received was outstandingly kind, speedy and most efficient. How fortunate we are to have such a Unit for emergency situations and I can't thank the staff enough for their considerate, professional care.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

jerry mcgarrigle gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 3 stars

sent by 111 operator

was sent to care centre on Saturday morning by 111 operator, shall let them know, tell them I sent you, turning up at the desk I told them 111 had sent me, they turned to the person next to them and sniffed "oh heres another one who thinks we run an appoinments system here". I informed them I was not expecting to go next and was happy to wait my turn, the person sat next to them then suggested I go and see my own GP , Made me feel as if I was perhaps doing wrong by taking up a space for someone else. however on the up side the clinical staff were excellent , cant praise them enough, front line staff however............

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Jem gave Radiology at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great experience at Newark CT scanner

This was a superb experience from start to finish. The parking was straight forward and easy. We got a disabled slot straight away by the entrance. We were greeted warmly on entry and signposted where we needed to be. We were early but only had a very short wait in a clean and tidy waiting area in X-ray. We were collected from the X-ray room and then taken to the CT scanner suite. The staff in there were wonderful. They helped me from my wheelchair and guided me onto the scanner. The scan was quick but I was kept informed what was going on and what to expect every stage of the way. The staff helped me to get up and get back into my wheelchair. They treated me with care and dignity and should be praised for this. It was excellent. Thank you.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Joanne Lazzari gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No help whatsoever

I've called Newark hospital this evening to ask if someone could help me. After having emergency surgery at QMC last Friday to repair a ruptured patella tendon, the dressing on my knee is working loose and sliding down my leg under the full leg brace. I called Newark Urgent Care centre to see if someone could possibly sort it out for me as it's causing discomfort. Whilst the main receptionist was great, when I got through to UCC they were no help at all and fobbed me off back to QMC - 40 minutes drive away - because they have all my records. I explained that I can't get to QMC as I can't drive so she proceeded to interrogate me as to whether a friend or family member could drive me or whether I could get a taxi. I just want someone to sort the dressing out! I am really appalled at this lack of care and desire to help. Ironically, I've been referred to Newark for post-operative physiotherapy so they probably have my notes anyway - I did say this but it fell on deaf ears.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017