Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone: 01724 282282
Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Janet gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Blue Sky Imaging Department and P.I.U.

My sister has learning difficulties and was suffering from ascites - a build up of fluid in her stomach, and was scheduled to have a drain inserted into her stomach using an ultrasound image guide. She is in her 70s and hadn't been to hospital since her 20s, so was understandably very unsettled about going into hospital, and the forthcoming procedure.

She was admitted onto the Planned Investigations Unit, and the staff couldn't have been kinder to her. When the time came for her to go for the procedure, the doctor and his assisting nurse/technician were an absolute delight. They chatted to my sister putting her at complete ease throughout, with the doctor even sang a line from a song she knew, and at the end she had been virtually unaware that anything had taken place.

As a result she left the hospital saying "Isn't everyone kind, all the doctors and nurses - don't they look after you well".

Today I had to take her back for a C. T. Scan, and she was looked after by a nurse. Another lovely person who took great care with her.

Thank you everyone at Blue Sky Imaging Department and Planned Investigation Unit Ward. Your kindness was greatly appreciated.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 28 October 2014

Hi Janet, what a lovely review! It's great to hear how your sister felt so well looked after at our hospital. Your comments have been shared with the teams, who were thrilled to receive such positive feedback.
Best wishes,

sarah gave Maternity service at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Denied visiting

I'm just leaving a comment to say: I'm appalled in regards to my experience this morning at SGH. I went to visit my sister this morning on the delivery suit, with my mum! I had to wait outside the ward doors, as was refused entry to see my new-born nephew! The midwife on duty would only let my mum on the ward or a birthing partner! Even if my mum came out, she still would not allow me in! Despite my sister been consenting for me to visit! I had to get a lift home, whilst my mum to stayed!
I can honestly say, as a nursing working in the NHS this is not good! Scunthorpe General Hospital, you have failed the family and friends test from me! The rules are like something from the dark ages! Also the ward has no signs displayed outside the doors, stipulating the above!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 28 October 2014

Hello Sarah, I appreciate this must have been very disappointing. Unfortunately we have no visiting on the delivery suite due to the nature of the environment (except birth partners).
This is usually spoken about in pregnancy so patients should be aware, however there are no signs outside the suite to make this clear to visitors which is something we can look at.
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gastroenterology

I was referred to Scunthorpe hospital to see a gasteroenterologist. I was seen very quickly and efficiently in outpatients. I was extremely anxious but she instantly put my mind at rest and was very reassuring. She advised me to have a colonoscopy which I was very nervous about. However, I was treated with the upmost dignity and respect. The dignity pants were brilliant, as were all of the staff. The department was clean and welcoming, as were all of the staff I came across. Everyone was so supportive and allayed my fears. I would certainly recommend this consultant and the hospital as the service I have received has been first class. From the booking office staff, to the receptionist, preassessment nurse, consultant, nurses in recovery, and the nurses in the theatre - they have all been fantastic.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 28 October 2014

Hello, thank you very much for your comments, which have been shared with the teams involved. It's always really good to hear that our patients feel they are being well looked after.

ray hotchin reviewed Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Why are some consultants so arrogant and rude !!

After seeing the consultant today i went away feeling let down and very angry because he was arrogant and rude and he even at one point made a comment that i had wasted an xray on my knees.He told me bluntly that my knees hurt so much because of wear & tear and i should go and try some ibuprofen.At the end of the day did he think i was that stupid i have not tried this and it was my Dr that sent me there in the first and i bet if his knees hurt as much as mine i bet he would not be so smug because the pain in knees is really painful,And if i have had a bad day at work i don't come home and be rude to any one.And i know they are really clever people but this does not excuse them from been arrogant and rude and just upset people and cause them more stress.And i have to admit it was had to bite my tongue and not be rude and arrogant back but i did not because unlike the consultant i don't enjoy upsetting people and been rude to them !!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 21 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 28 October 2014

Hello Ray, I am very sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience at our hospital, this is definitely not the impression we want to make on patients.
Please can I ask you to contact our patient advice and liaison service so that they can look into this further? You can ring them on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Never seen anything like it.....

I was sent from Goole to Scunthorpe for a CT scan due to a possible broken nose/ and
worries of a queried base skull fracture. There was no communication between the hospitals. I was given a child's neck brace although I am a 20 year old woman, needless to say my air supply was limited. The paramedics didn't hang around to take me off of the back board with the rest of the staff. I was also left waiting for 20 minutes upon arrival. The saving grace for CT was a very friendly nurse who made me and my parents comfortable. She also went and found a consultant to take the brace off.
I didn't have a clue what was happening as no-one was telling me or my parents anything that was happening. After CT I was sent to A&E where I was left for 2.5 hours waiting for my scan results. No-one came to do my obs until half an hour before I left. A healthcare assistant came and saw me and found I had nothing to eat all day and no pain relief since being at Goole. She also did my obs and got a nurse who wasn't doing anything to get me something to eat.
Another note: My mum was understably trying to get us noticed repeatedly. She was met with rudeness from what I can only describe as a nurse with a Napolean complex. I don't think this was the right treatment for a worried parent of a seriously injured teen. I completely understand that nurses are busy. On this occassion I believe Scunthorpe should re-evaluate their outlet on patient care.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 20 October 2014

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Ward 11

Some staff on this ward are extremely rude and need to learn how to talk to people.The junior doctor also needs to learn people skills.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 28 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Centre Visit

After an unfortunate accident, I attended the Emergency care centre. I was not waiting long I was called in for triage quickly and given pain relief. Then quickly called in to see the doctor, followed by a very short wait in x-ray. After my x-ray, the doctor was quick to call me back in. Finally, I wasn't long waiting to have a dressing put on.

All in all a very positive experience if you can have one after an accident.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 30 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Mr Charles Wheddon gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Angio Plasty Stent fitting

All the staff were excellent.
The theatre staff were very friendly and made me feel relaxed
At the end of the treatment I was shown the final X-ray and the Doctor explained the procedure fully and the outcome . The results were good.
I cannot think of anyway the hospital could make any improvements

My Wife came with me and she was treated very well

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 28 October 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, Mr Wheddon. Your feedback has been shared with the team, who very much appreciate it.
It's good to hear you and your wife felt so well looked after.
Best wishes,
Sarah Mainprize

Heather Bristol gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Cancellation of my outpatient appointment

I went and had my field tests done and knew that I had a follow up apt for next Friday at 9.20. Today, Friday 26 Sept I receive a letter altering my apt - they say - Unfortunately we are not able to offer you an alternative apt at this time. I find this totally unacceptable. I have borderline glaucoma and it is important that I have eye checks every 6 months. Before I moved into this area I never had trouble at my previous area's eye unit. It is not acceptable not to give me an apt date! Furthermore, when I was up having my field tests done, I was not told by the nurse that I could go home so we waited an hour and a half and it was only when I enquired when I was going in that I discovered that I need not have waited. It would surely be obvious and courtesy to say to patients we will see you at your follow up on whatever date. I was concerned about floaters - another very nice and helpful nurse had a word with the dr and then conveyed a message back to me - not very re-assuring to me - the patient! Additionally, I have been on the phone and held on and on for over 15 mins and not moved up the queue at all - again far from impressed!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 01 October 2014

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive the service you expected. Thank you for raising these issues, which are now being addressed. If you would like to speak to someone at the hospital about this, please can you contact Libby Jackson on 01472 87411 ext 2468.

michael anderson reviewed Respiratory Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital

I was in SGH for 9 days, my treatment was second to none.

I was in SGH for asthma.The treatment I received was fantastic, constant monitoring, no issues with administration of medication, the ward was cleaned on a daily basis by very cheerful staff who would find the time to chat for a minute or two during their busy work schedule. The RNs and care work assistants working hand in hand both would make the beds and do the observations and include you in conversation, not made to feel like a person who shouldn't be there.Every one there made my stay in SGH a very pleasant experience at a very difficult time. God bless them all they are true hero's in my eyes.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014