Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone: 01724 282282
Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/hospitals/scunthorpe

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward 28

Although my stay was a short one, and a painful one, it was still a pleasant experience. All the staff, Doctors, nurses and other ward staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. I never heard or saw any of them complain at the amount of work they had to do, and I must say they never stopped going from one patient to another with a smile. A big thank you to all of them they were amazing. Five stars to all of them.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 July 2015

Clair R gave Gynaecology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The surgeon and their team are the best ever.

Admitted to Ward 19 for a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 6th July and cannot fault any of the team on the ward they are so friendly and kind even when they are busy they always have the time to care. The surgeon and their team in theatre are just the best and would recommend them to anyone needing laparoscopic surgery. I'm just sorry that our paths won't cross again. Thank you to all involved with my care.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 09 July 2015

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Perfection

My father was taken very ill at home on Saturday, I rang 111 who supported us really very very well, they arranged a Paramedic, who arrived in 15 mins and was great, he called for an ambulance who arrived in 20 mins, also great, and took him to Scunthorpe General. From reception, through the ward, ICU and now back in the ward the whole experience has been second to none with caring, talented, knowledgeable and for us most of all communicative people.
My father appears to be on the road to recovery now.
His now more positive state is due entirely to all involved from Registras, through the fantastic ICU, and all of the wonderful friends in Ward 23.
Myself and our family can not thank everyone enough for giving us this 'miracle'

We will happily give any endorsement for the hospital

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hospital feedback

I had my appointment for spinal pain relief injections cancelled within a few days of appointment date last Sept / Oct and the explanation I got when I rang to see why was that the doctor had taken a month off on holiday. I have been waiting nearly 10 months for another appointment. And I get no response when I ring them! Explain how a pain relief clinic is supposed to work as I thought they were there to help with managing pain not extending it.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hello, I'm sorry to hear this. Please could you contact Bev Hayward on (01724) 282282 ext 3045 if this is still unresolved.
Sarah Mainprize

Sarah gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

would just like to thank the staff of A&E who were absolutely brilliant with my little boy (Thomas) last night (19th July 2015) credit where credit is due. You all made our visit very easy, he was seen very quickly and you put him and myself at ease. He was very brave unlike his mum. Thank you!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 20 July 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hi Sarah, thank you for your lovely feedback. It's great to hear Thomas was a little trooper, hope he's on the mend now.
Best wishes,

Neil gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

PIU CCU and Cath Lab

Home after a short stay in Scunthorpe General Hospital visiting the Planned investigation unit ward ,this ward prepared me for my procedure in the cath lab ,the nurse on this ward was so efficient and pleasant even though they were somewhat run off their feet been the only nurse on that ward during that shift 22/7/2015.
On arriving at the cath lab prepared for the procedure, the staff and doctor made me feel so relaxed and kept me informed before during and after the angioplasty ,the deparment was brilliant and is on par with castle hill having used both facilities now .
Onward to CCU for recovery again the staff on this ward were a credit to the hospital ,friendly ,caring and informative of all that was going on during my brief stay.
Cardiac rehab staff member it was a pleasure to catch up with you again and enjoyed our chat regarding my illness and found it informative and relaxing .
Well done scunthorpe general hospital you have some outstanding people and wards to be proud of .

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 23 July 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hygiene Problems

The bathroom was filthy, I had to clean toilet with Parazone Wipes before I dared use it. I was advised to take wipes in with me. Thank goodness I did! Where on earth were the cleaners?

The hand cleansing container at the bottom of my bed was empty although two staff members pretended to use it before they attended to me - I know it was empty because I had attempted to use it myself previously.

Because I was in a vulnerable state I didn't say anything whilst in there, but I wish I had ( if not for the sake of those future patients )

I will say I was most impressed though by the care I received from the doctors & nurses and I am extremely grateful. Also the food was good.

The admin staff I must say could do better. Correspondence arriving much too late!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 21 July 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hello, thank you for this feedback, which has been shared with the relevant managers. It's great to hear you felt very well looked after by the doctors and nurses. The toilets are cleaned and checked on a regular basis but I'm sorry to hear the bin needed emptying. Please could I ask you to contact our patient advice and liaison team so they can take a few more details from you and look into this properly? They are contactable on nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net or 01724 290132.
Sarah Mainprize

Natasha Hall gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 27

I was 1st admitted to ward 27 on May 11th 2015 for a laparoscopy . I got there at 10.45 and shown to a waiting room. At 2.30 the theatre person came and told me I was being cancelled. Needless to say I was none to happy as my husband had also taken the week off to care for me afterwards. I had to wait till 5pm "just in case". I had to go back on 8th June 2015 (exactly 28 days - the latest day they could get me in) and this time I was 1st into theatre on the afternoon list and did not get cancelled. The nurses on the ward were lovely. I feel personally I was let home too early as still felt groggy. Can't fault the staff they were great although wasn't happy about having to sit in a chair all day.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 June 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hi Natasha, many thanks for your feedback, which has been shared with the team. Sorry to hear your first procedure was cancelled, but it's really heartening to hear you were well looked after on your return visit.
Best wishes,

Anonymous reviewed Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Locum with no information " communicating" incomprehensibly

The following is an excerpt from a mail to me from my mother regarding my father's "treatment" at Sunthorpe General. Bear in mind they have been waiting months for this appointment. In the country I now live in he would have had an operation months ago.

"Went to Hospital Cardio for 4pm yesterday as arranged, and I was not impressed. Last time we saw a member of staff who was the one who sent Father to Grimsby for the nuclear scans. We went yesterday expecting to get the results from them. We saw another member of staff with a dreadful accent who questioned Father about the present state of his angina but knew nothing about the scans till we mentioned them. The member of staff couldn't find anything in the computer or the 2inch thick file of Father's notes. They rooted about a bit and twice asked Father "Why did you not go?". Father said "I did go on two days for two scans. The member of staff ended up telephoning Grimsby and eventually found something on the computer. Nothing much after that but they talked about 4 months (next appointment ???) and I heard the word angioplasty. Is he having one? By this time I'd lost the will to live and given up. Time to go home and await the next communication. "

Is this worthy of a first world country in 2015?? I think not.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your parents' experience. If you have not already done so, please can I encourage you to contact our patient advice and liaison team on nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net?
Many thanks,

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dermatology

After attending my first appointment a month ago I was put on Roaccutane which I have a 4 week prescription for. I was told I would receive a letter through the post confirming my following appointment for a re issue of the tablets however I have 6 days left and no confirmation of the appointment has been received. I tried contacting the dermatology appointemnt line first on the 15th of June and had no luck all day I tried 4 times. I then tried on the 16th and left a voicemail and got no call back. Tried the 17th 3 times no luck in the end the operator tried for 20minutes to get me through to anyone on the dermatology deptarment and couldn't to which I was passed through to PALS who tried again and had no luck in total I have spent 45 minutes trying to get through to discuss what is going on with my appointment PALS took my details and reassured me someone would contact me today to discuss. After waiting 4 hours for a phone back I decided to try again after 'waiting in a queue' for 10 minutes I gave up contacted the operator and asked for any secretary on the dermatology dept. a lovely person helped me and went and spoke to the appointments dept for me who informed me my consultant is currently on annual leave for a month and not due back till the 26th of june and there are no appointments available and that my details are being sent to management as i have to be seen 4 weekly and I am waiting to here back. Overall this isn't good enough I am a single working mother who has had work disrupted because I have had to keep ringing. I have no idea what will happen if i don't get my tablets in time I wasn't informed that my consultant was going on annual leave and had no feedback to explain the lack of appointments.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 17 June 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 23 July 2015

Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. If this is still not resolved or anything like this happens again, please can I encourage you to contact the PALS department again?