Scunthorpe General Hospital

Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Vicki gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 27

Just had my gallbladder out and can't praise the nurses on ward 27 enough. A group of genuinely caring nurses who couldn't do enough for you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Really glad to hear that, thank you very much for posting this feedback.
Best wishes for your recovery,
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

order of treatment and care given not satisfactory

When arrived by ambulance waiting room was packed and the people who arrived by ambulance was queued up in the corridor on the ambulance beds it took over an hour to get a room. When we got a room we saw the doctor within the hour with bloods taken and the outcome that my partner would be getting a drip in straight away it has now been well over an hour and still no drip? No medication given at all. Not wanting to complain because of other people may need more serious care. Went outside to find the waiting room nearly empty and most of the staff standing talking at the reception or drinking tea while my partner is still waiting for a drip and any medication from when she was picked up from our home at approximately 2000 it is now 0200 how is this acceptable? If we paid private we would have been seen and home or admitted with first class treatment. Even though we do pay every week in our deductions from our wages this is the treatment we have received (nothing ) in 6 hours can you please explain to me how this is acceptable. Outside nurses on there break inside stood around doing nothing and talking about tea breaks most of the a&e now empty and still not received any treatment. Do you have to complain to be seen? I think it is time to start complaining and see where that gets us. totally appalling treatment or lack of it that is the problem. I understand that the staff are busy hence why I have not complained to the staff yet but when you walk outside and see most of the staff doing nothing and the department nearly empty and you have been here 5 and a half hours with no treatment that is not acceptable. Moral of the story being a good patient gets you no where.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for your comments, please could I ask you to contact operational matron Dawn Ojadi so that she can take some additional details and look into this properly? You can contact her on dawn.ojadi@nhs.net or by phone on 01472 874111 ext 7209.
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

phone

the phone is not answered tried at different times all day its a joke!!!!!
when decided to use the answering machine well it was FULL if they answered in the day hours there would be room to give a message.
Or even an email address
not been in hospital so could not answer the questions

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thanks for your comments, we have been having some problems with the phoneline recently. Please could you contact team leader Bev Hayward on 01724 282282 ext 3045 or email beverley.hayward1@nhs.net

disappointment

Just every matter was so disappointed. I had blood test but they lost it. And as i asked to get more blanket several time at night because it was very cold in the room, but they had never taken anything. I had a cold and i am a pneumonia now.
I had taken morphine every two hours because i had pain alot. But next day after 1o'clock, they let me back to house. No explain, no meals for 2days and no hospitality at all.
I have never experienced those awful care in my life.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Barrie Graham gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 17 care

Excellent care from the nursing staff, enthusiastic attitude and pragmatic flexibility regarding visiting my close friend who has been admitted to this ward twice in the last 21 days.

Well done all and thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 2

The ward is very clean and the staff are extremely friendly and helpfull.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

Andy S reviewed Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Difficulty Contact Pain Management Clinic

I have been trying to contact the Pain Management Clinic for the last couple of days to ask then if there is any chance of bringing my appointment with my Consultant and his team which is in mid October forward as the pain as got to a level that i am having trouble standing up correctly and is also affecting my sleep and walking. once the automated system answers and puts you in the queue i kept getting the message that all the staff are busy and i was number 0ne in the queue. after waiting in the queue for over 10 mins each time without getting through to someone. please could you advise me of the best way to contact them.
P.S even thought i have not been yet i had to select a date i attended to leave the message

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

Sharon gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Much improved

Very worried when the ambulance was called because of a previous visit to hospital. No need to worry. The staff were very nice and kind and above all professional in their treatment. (Even had a laugh and joke to cheer up very worried patients and visitors.)

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Heather Bristol gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Cancellation of my outpatient appointment

I went and had my field tests done and knew that I had a follow up apt for next Friday at 9.20. Today, Friday 26 Sept I receive a letter altering my apt - they say - Unfortunately we are not able to offer you an alternative apt at this time. I find this totally unacceptable. I have borderline glaucoma and it is important that I have eye checks every 6 months. Before I moved into this area I never had trouble at my previous area's eye unit. It is not acceptable not to give me an apt date! Furthermore, when I was up having my field tests done, I was not told by the nurse that I could go home so we waited an hour and a half and it was only when I enquired when I was going in that I discovered that I need not have waited. It would surely be obvious and courtesy to say to patients we will see you at your follow up on whatever date. I was concerned about floaters - another very nice and helpful nurse had a word with the dr and then conveyed a message back to me - not very re-assuring to me - the patient! Additionally, I have been on the phone and held on and on for over 15 mins and not moved up the queue at all - again far from impressed!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Privacy Required gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CCU

Fantastic staff who looked after me so well. I was kept fully informed at all times. No one was too busy to take the time to help me or to explain things. I had excellent advice and felt really cared for. Cannot praise the staff highly enough from the domestics to the HCAs, the nurses to the doctors. Everyone I came into contact with was brilliant.
Two bad points though. The food was disgraceful!!! What a waste.
I was horrified to find that there were no locks on the toilet/shower rooms. This is a gross invasion of patients privacy. There was no way other patients could know that the toilet was occupied and a visit to the toilet became a stressful event every time. I was told that this was done in case a patient collapsed while in the toilet. Surely patients have the right to decide if they want to go to the toilet and have the security of a locked door and surely there is some device which allows staff to gain access when necessary. Whoever made this decision should be made to use a toilet for a day and have a shower knowing that a total stranger could walk in at any moment. Perhaps then they would understand how much stress they are putting their patients under.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014