Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My very frail elderly mum was treated in her last hours. From her arrival in A&E to her sad death she was treated with care kindness and respect by all staff. My sister and I were kept informed and supported through everything that happened.

SGH may not look like the most modern hospital but the quality of care we experienced was excellent.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear of your recent bereavement. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review, it is reassuring to hear that the hospital staff took such good care of your family during your time there.
Sarah

Liz gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day-case surgery

Fantastic care of my husband who was very anxious. They reassured him, told him what was happening every step of the way and really looked after him. All staff were friendly and efficient. The department was clean and comfortable. We were seen promptly. The surgeon knew what they were doing and was excellent. Thank you all so much for everything.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

leggy reviewed Dentistry and Orthodontics at Scunthorpe General Hospital

shocking

The options don't match to wich department you want! After finally waiting in ques they send you back to oporater! Operator won't give you a number to ring tries putting you threw but never get threw! In agony for 4 months still haven't had letter I just want this tooth out before I cut it out! 4 months is discusting and the service is even worse!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Jim Harrison gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Patient care

Recently I had to spend a week in ward 23. The care I received and watched given to more serious cases than mine was outstanding. Everyone from the cleaning staff to the Nurses were happy caring people. I considered myself very lucky to be cared by a group of people who obviously went that extra mile and worked so well as a team. Food was good too :) I would be extremely grateful if you could pass my sincere thanks and gratitude to the staff on this ward. Again many thanks

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review, it's always such a pleasure to hear from satisfied patients. Your thanks and gratitude have indeed been passed on to the relevant managers for sharing with the teams.
Sarah Mainprize

Susan Williams gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent experience for my CT scan this morning.

I had an appointment this morning for a thorax, abdomen and pelvic with contrast CT scan. The receptionist at the Blue Sky Imaging Suite was very welcoming which is always a lovely start. The HCA who came with the aniseed drink was very careful to explain how I should take the liquid and over what period. Again, they were very friendly and asked if I had any questions. I was told exactly when I needed to finish the drink by and how to make my way down to the waiting area prior to going onto the mobile CT scanner. The member of staff who came to collect me was, yet again, very welcoming and friendly and on entering the mobile unit introduced me to the radiographer who (at the risk of sounding like a stuck record) was also very friendly. They explained everything that was going to happen. I don't feel that I could have been any better looked after and I thank everybody involved for this. I just have to get a gastroscopy and colonoscopy out of the way now and, hopefully, I will soon know what is going to happen (if anything). Thank you once again.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 03 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. It's lovely to hear your experience was a positive one and that staff were so friendly and helpful.
Best wishes with your future procedures,
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

hyper stroke unit

The staff on the hyper stroke unit are best I have come across .I have had many bad experiences at sgh in the past (on other wards) ,but everyone who looked after me on my recent admission were first class. I could not have asked for any better care.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 07 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Hello, thank you for your comments, we are very proud of our hyperacute stroke service and it's lovely to hear you were so impressed by your experience with us.
Warm regards,
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

My visit to A&E!

I attended the A&E dept on the advice of my GP, as a 999 GP referral. I had been experiencing near constant palpitations with chest pain and shortness of breath. On arrival my husband informed one of the two receptionists of the situation and that I also have a cardiac history. The receptionist asked the other receptionist how to mark me down. The receptionist was told to put me down as a GP admittance and to inform the nursing staff that I was there. This information was not passed on to the nursing staff! We were told to take a seat in the waiting area. Some 40 minutes later my name was called by the triage nurse. On hearing of my predicament the nurse immediately started the appropriate examinations and tests. The nurse could not hide their dismay over how long I had waited, although the nurse didn't mention anything to us. Thankfully, after several tests and several hours i was deemed fit enough to be discharged to await the results of a previous cardiac MRI. But I could have been having a heart attack, and I could have died! I am under the impression that all of the staff in the A&E dept from the receptionists to the highest doctors and nurses are trained to recognise and prioritise what could be potentially life threatening conditions! But surely chest pain on its own should be treated as a life threatening emergency! I am deeply concerned that an error like this could happen! There should be no difference between a patient arriving via ambulance or any other means, chest pain is an emergency!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Hello, thank you for your comments about your A&E experience. If you'd like this to be looked into further, please can I suggest you contact our patient advice and liaison team on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Many thanks

David gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First time visitor

I was sent for a chest X-ray having seen my GP this morning. It was the first time I had visited the hospital. On walking through the main reception entrance I was studying the signage when a person from the reception asked where I wanted to go. They didn't just direct me, they took me all the way across the hospital to the door of the X-ray department. Certainly above and beyond anything I would have expected. In the department I received excellent attention with staff introducing themselves very politely and having my X-ray done and checked very efficiently. On leaving the department another member of staff directed me back to the main entrance and I was back in my car just 12 minutes after my appointment time. Excellent service from several excellent staff - any hospital would be proud to achieve this standard of service. Very many thanks.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Thank you for your comments about Scunthorpe hospital. It's lovely to hear staff were so helpful and friendly during your visit.
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Lack of communication

Was sent to A&E with bad tummy pains and high fever, they said I needed hydration and I would be put on a drip. In fact I spent 10hours on a trolley with no drip and no access to water. During that time six different people came to me, each asked the same questions. I asked each one for water but did not get any. When the last one came and asked the same questions I said I had already told five people, they said they had not been told. My lips were sticking together as I was so thirsty. They said to ask a nurse. However there was no bell and calling did no good. People walked by and took no notice.
Eventually I ended up in ward 23 for a week. Nurses very caring but no communication between staff so one saying drink a lot and another taking water away and saying nill by mouth.
I was concerned about the toilets.There were motions in the bowl not flushed away each time I went to use it and for 24 hours a bedpan on the floor which had not been emptied and eventually dried up.The light in the disabled toilet didn't work much of the time so when you closed the door you were in darkness.
The staff were kind but seemed stressed out.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Hello, thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear about your experience at the hospital. If you'd like any aspect of your visit to be looked into, please contact our patient advice and liaison team on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net

Mark C gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No contact at all

I was referred to the pain clinic for fibromyalgia nearly three months ago, received a letter saying to reply in five days or I would be off the list, however, upon replying nothing has been heard since, I have had messages left contact made and nobody returns the calls at all. Appalling.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

I'm sorry to hear about this. If it has not yet been resolved please can I suggest you contact our patient advice and liaison team on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Many thanks