Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone: 01724 282282
Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 2

The ward is very clean and the staff are extremely friendly and helpfull.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Privacy Required gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CCU

Fantastic staff who looked after me so well. I was kept fully informed at all times. No one was too busy to take the time to help me or to explain things. I had excellent advice and felt really cared for. Cannot praise the staff highly enough from the domestics to the HCAs, the nurses to the doctors. Everyone I came into contact with was brilliant.
Two bad points though. The food was disgraceful!!! What a waste.
I was horrified to find that there were no locks on the toilet/shower rooms. This is a gross invasion of patients privacy. There was no way other patients could know that the toilet was occupied and a visit to the toilet became a stressful event every time. I was told that this was done in case a patient collapsed while in the toilet. Surely patients have the right to decide if they want to go to the toilet and have the security of a locked door and surely there is some device which allows staff to gain access when necessary. Whoever made this decision should be made to use a toilet for a day and have a shower knowing that a total stranger could walk in at any moment. Perhaps then they would understand how much stress they are putting their patients under.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Barrie Graham gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 17 care

Excellent care from the nursing staff, enthusiastic attitude and pragmatic flexibility regarding visiting my close friend who has been admitted to this ward twice in the last 21 days.

Well done all and thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Roy James Ellis gave Geriatric Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stroke Unit is Top of the League!

I have in the past suffered strokes and received treatment at Grimsby and other Hospitals and had occasion to be sent to the Scunthorpe Stroke Unit recently.
I have nothing but praise for the unit from the Consultants, managers, nurses, caterers, cleaners, physiotherapy, they are first class and should be recognised as such.
The patient is their priority and that manifests itself when they deal with the needs of each individual patient in the way that they do.
You are a credit to your profession!

As far as the the debate as to where the Hyper - Acute Stroke Services Unit should be I have no doubt that Scunthorpe Hospital is the only contender!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

disappointment

Just every matter was so disappointed. I had blood test but they lost it. And as i asked to get more blanket several time at night because it was very cold in the room, but they had never taken anything. I had a cold and i am a pneumonia now.
I had taken morphine every two hours because i had pain alot. But next day after 1o'clock, they let me back to house. No explain, no meals for 2days and no hospitality at all.
I have never experienced those awful care in my life.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

phone

the phone is not answered tried at different times all day its a joke!!!!!
when decided to use the answering machine well it was FULL if they answered in the day hours there would be room to give a message.
Or even an email address
not been in hospital so could not answer the questions

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thanks for your comments, we have been having some problems with the phoneline recently. Please could you contact team leader Bev Hayward on 01724 282282 ext 3045 or email beverley.hayward1@nhs.net

Anonymous gave Urology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Forgot to schedule an MRI scan

I was told I needed an MRI scan. After waiting five weeks and not hearing anything from the hospital, I phoned to be told that it hadn't been requested. Perhaps somebody forgot or I got lost in the system, I don't know but find it very unsatisfactory.
I also need an ultra sound scan. On trying to book that today I was told it would be at least a month. Unacceptable!

Would this have happened if I had been a private patient? I think not.

My experience leads me to believe the three star rating that this hospital has is well deserved.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for your comments. We would not expect any patient's investigation request to be forgotten so would like to look into this further - could you please contact matron Helen Clark on 01724 282282 ext 2032 or email helen.clark11@nhs.net
Sarah Mainprize

order of treatment and care given not satisfactory

When arrived by ambulance waiting room was packed and the people who arrived by ambulance was queued up in the corridor on the ambulance beds it took over an hour to get a room. When we got a room we saw the doctor within the hour with bloods taken and the outcome that my partner would be getting a drip in straight away it has now been well over an hour and still no drip? No medication given at all. Not wanting to complain because of other people may need more serious care. Went outside to find the waiting room nearly empty and most of the staff standing talking at the reception or drinking tea while my partner is still waiting for a drip and any medication from when she was picked up from our home at approximately 2000 it is now 0200 how is this acceptable? If we paid private we would have been seen and home or admitted with first class treatment. Even though we do pay every week in our deductions from our wages this is the treatment we have received (nothing ) in 6 hours can you please explain to me how this is acceptable. Outside nurses on there break inside stood around doing nothing and talking about tea breaks most of the a&e now empty and still not received any treatment. Do you have to complain to be seen? I think it is time to start complaining and see where that gets us. totally appalling treatment or lack of it that is the problem. I understand that the staff are busy hence why I have not complained to the staff yet but when you walk outside and see most of the staff doing nothing and the department nearly empty and you have been here 5 and a half hours with no treatment that is not acceptable. Moral of the story being a good patient gets you no where.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for your comments, please could I ask you to contact operational matron Dawn Ojadi so that she can take some additional details and look into this properly? You can contact her on dawn.ojadi@nhs.net or by phone on 01472 874111 ext 7209.

N Beak gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Appointments & Telephone Service

I have been trying to speak to someone in the pain management clinic using the phone numbers as listed below, but having spent over 1 1/2 to 2 hour's on the various numbers being either number 2 or number 1 in the queue I have given up for the day.
01724 203410
01724 387710
01724 282282

I did manage to speak to someone yesterday at around 15:20 (04/09/14) but was told that the appointments secretary had gone home for the day. This is why I was trying to call back today (05/09/14)

I attended the pain clinic in February, I was put on a course of treatment which was to be reviewed within 6 month's and another appointment would be sent out to me to attend the clinic again within that period. I have not yet received an appointment. I realize the PM clinic is very busy which is why I have not chased it up before now.
Looked on this website and found yet another phone number 01405720720, I did get an answer and after going through everything was put through at last to the person in appointments that I needed to speak to, after a few short rings..... an answer machine spoke to me quoting the hours of work being 9 to 5 and to leave a message. Message left but no hopeful of a reply so will try again next week etc.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 05 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

I'm really sorry to hear this. Please can you call the general manager's secretary on 01472 874111 ext 2468 and she will endeavour to help you.

Vicki gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 27

Just had my gallbladder out and can't praise the nurses on ward 27 enough. A group of genuinely caring nurses who couldn't do enough for you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Really glad to hear that, thank you very much for posting this feedback.
Best wishes for your recovery,