Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anne gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Visit to the eye clinic

After struggling to park my car due to lack of car spaces I came to the eye clinic a little stressed and late. However after a short wait in the eye clinic i was dealt with quickly and professionally by pleasant staff. I would recommend the hospital to others as I felt I was treated quickly despite the department being busy

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Gallbladder removal

I arrived at Ward 27 at 10.30am as I wasn't due to theatre until the afternoon. The staff were lovely, caring and I felt very comfortable.
After my surgery I was taken back to the ward and sat in a chair (bit uncomfortable) I was vomitting and my blood pressure was low. I couldn't open my eyes as they were very sore and felt like they had had sand poured into them. This feeling lasted until the next morning but I was told it was because I was tired (I've never experienced this before but I am always sick after anaesthetic). They put me on a drip to help my fluids.
I was put on 15 min observations and was kept a close eye on. They said I wouldn't be going home and transferred me to Ward 28. The night staff on ward 28 were lovely, and checked on me frequently.
In the morning I was still in immense pain, could only manage a couple of spoonfuls of porridge and a sip of tea. The registrar came and saw me, said I should be OK to go home, but to see how I felt later on and could stay in if I still wasn't good, and my blood pressure was still low.
Half an hour later I was told I was being discharged, to get dressed and go in the day room as they needed my bed and my husband was on his way to collect me. I had no assistance and it was only because a HCA saw me struggling, that I got help walking to the day room and carrying my bag. I was sat an hour in an uncomfortable chair, as my husband and been told to collect me at 11am (I was discharged at 10am).
I wasn't given any information on what to expect pain wise, when to remove my dressings etc. They were in too much of a rush to get rid of me.
My overall treatment from my 1st visit to my GP to surgery has been 1st class. Very quick and very good, it's just a shame about my discharge treatment.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

barrie gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

visited several times recently as patient and helper

As a patient (heart problem) stayed in segregated mixed ward for investigative surgery, very well organised and managed. All the staff were professional, competent and industrious. Regular checks were made on patient condition and also found time for comforting chats and tried to make the stay as pleasant as possible.
As a helper with a patient at A&E... Friday afternoon and nearly full. I could not help but notice that a lot of people, when called, seemed to walk through with little sign of any illness or defect. I did notice two cut fingers and graze which I would normally wash and fix a plaster!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 06 February 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Colorectal cancer services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy dept

Attended SGH for a colonoscopy on a Saturday morning which was a much more convenient time for me. The staff upon arrival were polite and courteous and the staff nurse explained the procedure and answers all my questions. The procedure itself was not the most comfortable of dignified experience I've ever had but the consultant and nursing staff were all very understanding, reassuring and patient. Afterwards I was left to recover with a very friendly and helpful NA assisting me and bringing me a cup of tea when I was more with it. the staff nurse explained what had happened during the procedure and what they had discovered. A very professional and patient focussed service and I would recommend anyone to have this procedure done at SGH

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 02 January 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 January 2016

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback, it's lovely to hear the team took such good care of you.
Best wishes,
Sarah Mainprize

Unhappy gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Endoscopy Unit

My GP wrote a very detailed letter about my past history of abuse. This was to alert staff to the difficulty i would face undergoing the procedure. It fell on stoney ground. I felt like i was interrupting the staff in the endoscopy room carrying on their social chit chat. The admission and recovery staff were okay, but did nothing to put me at ease. I was at times visibly shaking. The final straw was a comment by the doctor on the results form stating 'poor preparation'. I followed all the instructions to the letter. The last thing I wanted was any reason for the test to not be successful given my circumstances. All in all not somewhere I would recommend to anyone.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 09 January 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 January 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please can I ask that you contact our patient advice and liaison team so they can look into this further? You can ring them on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

One of the worst hospitals

The staff are rude. They seem to care more about doing paper work to go home in time or they chat amongst themselves. They don't give their patients the proper care they need. My mother was left in pain for days and left hungry as she might of not been in her room at the time and might of been in the bathroom...!
I thought nurses became nurses because they wanted to take care of people and not just see it as a boring job that pays them.!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 January 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's experience. Please can I suggest you contact our patient advice and liaison team so they can look into this? You can call them on 01724 290132 or email nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Sarah Mainprize

Gisela Green gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A an E Department

My Husband had to take me to A and E on Saturday with severe breathing Problems and Pain in the left side of the Chest. All the Staff dealt with me very swiftly and in a very friendly and polite Matter. They even made me some Toast as I don't like to take Pain relief Medication on an empty Stomach.
Everybody was very helpful and friendly. Big thank you to all the Staff. I left feeling a lot better and relaxed.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 January 2016

Hi Gisela, thank you for sharing your feedback, it's lovely to hear our A&E team took such good care of you and also that you are now feeling better.
Best wishes,
Sarah Mainprize

Bridget Sarsfield gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Attended after an accident left me with a swollen and very painful foot. Excellent care from start to finish. I was sent for an X ray and later saw an A&E nurse practitioner, Glad to say there was no serious injury. The department was packed and I saw four ambulances outside when I arrived. I expected a very long wait but was seen, x rayed and on my way home in three hours. Bless them, they were working so hard. I felt that the triage nurse was so kind and friendly and the nurse practitioner was so helpful explaining my x ray and offering me a choice of treatments. The advice given was excellent. Thank you so much.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 24 January 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrs A. Rodda gave Dentistry and Orthodontics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Amazed

This was my first visit to this hospital. I had an outpatient appointment at Maxillofacial clinic (ie dental intervention). I was amazed by the extortionate parking charges. Upon entering at the Outpatients entrance I was amazed by the chaotic signage with multi-levels, multi departments but nothing at all about Maxillofacial. Very helpful volunteer showed me part of the way, and then a porter took over. I was amazed by the drab, run-down look of the place and even more amazed by the dirty floors along multiple corridors. Once seated in the correct waiting room I was called in to see the practitioner (40 minutes after my appointment time) and was again amazed by the antiquated equipment. The 10 minute appointment ended and I then had to go to the x-ray department (my own dentist does this in the dental chair). After a 20 minute wait I had the x-ray (very pleasant radiography staff) and then a further 10 minutes trying to follow the chaotic signage to the correct exit. I look forward (not) to being amazed at my next visit when I will have the dental work carried out..

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 27 January 2016

Kathryn gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Consultant

I have waited over 6 months for this appointment. My husband accompanied me to see a Consultant whom my doctor referred me to in the hope that they would be able to help me with the chronic pain I suffer from fybromyalgia and arthritis. They were dismissive, unhelpful and disinterested. I feel the whole consultation was extremely upsetting.
I wish to make a formal complaint about the whole pain management in the community team

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 28 January 2016