Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Susan Williams gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent experience for my CT scan this morning.

I had an appointment this morning for a thorax, abdomen and pelvic with contrast CT scan. The receptionist at the Blue Sky Imaging Suite was very welcoming which is always a lovely start. The HCA who came with the aniseed drink was very careful to explain how I should take the liquid and over what period. Again, they were very friendly and asked if I had any questions. I was told exactly when I needed to finish the drink by and how to make my way down to the waiting area prior to going onto the mobile CT scanner. The member of staff who came to collect me was, yet again, very welcoming and friendly and on entering the mobile unit introduced me to the radiographer who (at the risk of sounding like a stuck record) was also very friendly. They explained everything that was going to happen. I don't feel that I could have been any better looked after and I thank everybody involved for this. I just have to get a gastroscopy and colonoscopy out of the way now and, hopefully, I will soon know what is going to happen (if anything). Thank you once again.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 03 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

hyper stroke unit

The staff on the hyper stroke unit are best I have come across .I have had many bad experiences at sgh in the past (on other wards) ,but everyone who looked after me on my recent admission were first class. I could not have asked for any better care.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 07 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

My visit to A&E!

I attended the A&E dept on the advice of my GP, as a 999 GP referral. I had been experiencing near constant palpitations with chest pain and shortness of breath. On arrival my husband informed one of the two receptionists of the situation and that I also have a cardiac history. The receptionist asked the other receptionist how to mark me down. The receptionist was told to put me down as a GP admittance and to inform the nursing staff that I was there. This information was not passed on to the nursing staff! We were told to take a seat in the waiting area. Some 40 minutes later my name was called by the triage nurse. On hearing of my predicament the nurse immediately started the appropriate examinations and tests. The nurse could not hide their dismay over how long I had waited, although the nurse didn't mention anything to us. Thankfully, after several tests and several hours i was deemed fit enough to be discharged to await the results of a previous cardiac MRI. But I could have been having a heart attack, and I could have died! I am under the impression that all of the staff in the A&E dept from the receptionists to the highest doctors and nurses are trained to recognise and prioritise what could be potentially life threatening conditions! But surely chest pain on its own should be treated as a life threatening emergency! I am deeply concerned that an error like this could happen! There should be no difference between a patient arriving via ambulance or any other means, chest pain is an emergency!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 April 2016

David gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First time visitor

I was sent for a chest X-ray having seen my GP this morning. It was the first time I had visited the hospital. On walking through the main reception entrance I was studying the signage when a person from the reception asked where I wanted to go. They didn't just direct me, they took me all the way across the hospital to the door of the X-ray department. Certainly above and beyond anything I would have expected. In the department I received excellent attention with staff introducing themselves very politely and having my X-ray done and checked very efficiently. On leaving the department another member of staff directed me back to the main entrance and I was back in my car just 12 minutes after my appointment time. Excellent service from several excellent staff - any hospital would be proud to achieve this standard of service. Very many thanks.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Lack of communication

Was sent to A&E with bad tummy pains and high fever, they said I needed hydration and I would be put on a drip. In fact I spent 10hours on a trolley with no drip and no access to water. During that time six different people came to me, each asked the same questions. I asked each one for water but did not get any. When the last one came and asked the same questions I said I had already told five people, they said they had not been told. My lips were sticking together as I was so thirsty. They said to ask a nurse. However there was no bell and calling did no good. People walked by and took no notice.
Eventually I ended up in ward 23 for a week. Nurses very caring but no communication between staff so one saying drink a lot and another taking water away and saying nill by mouth.
I was concerned about the toilets.There were motions in the bowl not flushed away each time I went to use it and for 24 hours a bedpan on the floor which had not been emptied and eventually dried up.The light in the disabled toilet didn't work much of the time so when you closed the door you were in darkness.
The staff were kind but seemed stressed out.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Mark C gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No contact at all

I was referred to the pain clinic for fibromyalgia nearly three months ago, received a letter saying to reply in five days or I would be off the list, however, upon replying nothing has been heard since, I have had messages left contact made and nobody returns the calls at all. Appalling.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Sjc gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care

I recently had to go to A&E. I was taken to a side room with five beds. During my stay there were 3 people in this room and one nurse to take care of us. 2 of the people were elderly who kept trying to get out bed and walk, the nurse must have had eyes in the back of their head. I don't know how they managed to give the top level of care to us all that they did. I was so impressed with their calm and caring nature to the somewhat trying patients. Thank you for great care and working so hard to keep us all safe and well.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 22 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My cyst removal

I have just had a cyst removed and cannot praise the staff enough. Everything went through quickly. I am now back at home recovering.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 23 April 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

My little boy has juts spent three days in Disney Ward. All of the staff from the cleaners to the doctors and everyone in between treated him incredibly well. Even though he was poorly, they kept him smiling as much as possible and made some uncomfortable procedures more bearable for my little one.
One of the nurses was like a guardian angel to our little man, even holding his tablet so he could watch "Paddington" while he had his nebuliser.
Thank you.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 26 April 2016

peter piper reviewed Scunthorpe General Hospital

Lack of correspondence by Scunthorpe General Hospital

After two endoscopy examinations, a Barium meal followed by an Ultrasound examination and the consultant abdominal examination I've heard nothing for over four months. I wonder how much this has already cost the NHS? Join up the dots' folks my case is aired earlier but to date......nothing! and these two cases are in reality the same problem, lack of communication following the examination by the consultant. We have been let down by administration and not Nurses or Doctors, most of them seem to be working their collective socks off.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 03 March 2016 using Patient Opinion