Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Overall, disappointed.

As a staff of the NHS, I visited A&E with my boyfriend after injuring my arm. The hospital wasn't overly busy but the waiting times seem to be long and unnecessary. I understand the demands of the health service at the minute but I waited over an over for a simple splint.. From working in a hospital myself I knew it would simply take two minutes to walk to the supply cupboard, check the correct sizing and fit the item. I was overly disappointed with the fact I was ONLY given half the dosage of pain relief for my arm and assured the second tablet would be administered soon, waited over an hour and it never came. Had to go to the desk several times during my time there and didn't really get any answers that were helpful. I think the staffing should be reconsidered but attitudes are harder to change, on several occasions I seen staff nurses standing about talking rather than actually helping patients which is their role as a health care professional. When I got X rayed for my arm, as a women of child bearing age I should have been offered cover for my ovaries, this did not occur either. I spent three years being educated to prioritise care but there was young children waiting hours in A&E and other people who appeared to be very unwell but we're not seen quickly either. I know my circumstances did not warrant an emergency but I doubt I would choose Scunthorpe general in future if it was emergency circumstances. The main positive note of my visit was the staff who were involved in my care including the staff nurse who completed triage and the doctor also.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 13 September 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

What a joke....misdiagnosed.

Ok so back to early months of this year I collapsed was rushed in with exterm abdomin pain. To be told by an AE doctor I was just constipated... 2weeks later I turned yellow collapsed again... After 6days of none stop pain sickness pure hell. I was taken back in to find out actually no you have large amount of stones in your gallbladder. Three of them have now become lodged in your bile duct blocking your liver. Hence I was yellow 5days on iv antibotics flused unable to move or eat. Sent home with a ERCP planed 2weeks went in for that. Stones removed stent placed now wait for surgery begging August I rang to check up. Oh your surgeon is on hoilday till September. So you'll be on waiting list till when ever we can fit you in.... End of Augest I had to be rushed back in 9days this time on iv antibotics and fluids. Due to been left my stones had increased even on the low fat diet I was told to stick to. My stent had migrated so another ERCP sent home. I had my pre op 7th September with my surgery been to mrow 14th now to be informed tonight it's cancled. Now I've been yellow I can't work due to everyday in exterm pain I can't even eat low fat diet with out my gallbladder going infected.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 13 September 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Mike Robinson gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Accompanying visit to Fracture Clinic with 90 year old

On Monday 12 September I accompanied a 90 year old friend from a Care Home in Brigg. The patient was taken by hospital transport to the XR Department firstly and then to the Fracture Clinic. The patient had broken the femur some months ago and has a lot of pain as a result. I was very impressed by the care and attention shown - and would particularly like to commend the Staff Nurse who went out of their way to re-arrange transportation back to the home by stretcher rather than wheelchair. The patient was taken into a side room while this was being arranged. The patience and care shown to a 90 year-old patient with some memory problems and a lot of pain was first-class. An excellent service.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 14 September 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Steve Roach gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery Ward 27

I attended ward 27 for day surgery and just want to record my thanks to all the staff,they are very professional and a credit to SGH,thank you

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 19 September 2016

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Plaster Room

Firstly can I state that the doctor I saw was brilliant. My concern came with the person who replaced my cast in the plaster room. I found their manner to be dismissive and rather rude. I got the impression they just did not want to replace my cast even though it was only a temp cast and the doctor said it needed changing. This person was very off hand and made me feel like a nuisance. The new cast is hurting my thumb now and uncomfortable. When I asked if I could have a support sling I was given one very begrudgingly. It was a horrible and upsetting experience and has put me off seeing this person again. This person was not interested in anything I said at all. I left the hospital in tears

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 20 September 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Shirley Clipson gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Cardiology outpatients department

On Thursday I attended the cardiology outpatients.I was directed to the fast Track for my appointment at 2.45pm I sat down to wait people were entering the area and getting called in and I was still waiting. At approximately 4pm I decided I had enough and left . If this fast track then you can keep it, I'll take the slow track which incidentally I have been in and seen and on my way out in about 10 minutes

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 04 September 2016

Marie Larder gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 18 inpatient

I wish to comment on the care that my mother and our family received whilst she was an inpatient on ward 18. I cannot praise the staff highly enough got their professionalism and dedication. My mother was treated with kindness, dignity and respect by staff at all levels during her stay. We as visitors were looked after with the same kindness and care, nothing was too much trouble day or night. Thank you for making her final days bearable for us.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 04 September 2016

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Lack of response from messages left

I have had three appointments the first one being on 25 April 2016 regarding cataract surgery. Everyone I saw was very pleasant but I have had some contradictory information at varying appointments. I had a pre-admission appointment on 8 August and have heard nothing since. I rang to speak to the consultant's secretary on 30August and could not speak to them, but was assured I would be called back. I left a further message on 5 Sept and again was assured of a return call. Again I have not heard anything. I shall ring again on 12 Sept. I understand that hospitals are busy but as I have now been waiting over 4 months since my first visit I just want assurance that I am still on the waiting list and have not been forgotten.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 10 September 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Rosie gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Positive experience!

Yesterday I attended the Gastroenterology department for an Endoscopy procedure. I was apprehensive ,but needed have worried. All the staff were amazing! Everthing was explained clearly and every effort made to put me at ease. I opted for an anesthetiser throat spray rather than a sedative. This was very effective, quick and this, plus the expertise of the staff, made the experience easier than expected. After being discharged, I was able to continue my day as normal. The only grumble I had was the difficulty in finding a parking space. If I were you, I would arrive well in advance of your appointment time, in case you have to queue to park!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Anonymous gave Urology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't try to speak to them over the telephone.

I've visited this hospital on several occasions and found the cleanliness to be generally okay. However, the level of service over the telephones is very poor. A number of departments (urology being an example) will often fail to pick up calls or leave you waiting for up to an hour. I recently spent an hour in the telephone queue only to be transferred to a receptionist who told me that that department 'wasn't picking up at the moment'. You try to leave messages or send emails, only to receive warning letters for not attending appointments. I wouldn't recommend this hospital to family or friends.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 August 2016