Scunthorpe General Hospital

Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Pat Kilmore gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care of my father

My father had been in and out of hospital since christmas on wards 17 and 22, I cannot praise the staff highly enough for the care given, at all times he was treated with dignity and respect, likewise my mother who visited him everyday, she was supplied with cups of tea and sandwiches when there for long periods of time especially at the end. Well done nursing staff, doctors and tea ladies . It was very much appreciated

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 April 2014

jeff sewell gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

hip replacement

In January 2013 I had a hip replacement . It could not have been more professional.
Total success. Thank you to all the staff who helped me through this.The only failing was the meals which though only basic were poor and cold,

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 14 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Sharron Close gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

bed shortages and discharging the elderly

I couldn't be more disappointed at the lack of care for my mother's dignity and respect since she was admitted as an emergency a couple of weeks ago. One moment we were told she was very poorly (she has a deteriorating heart condition) and the next day they decided she could be discharged to her home! Their information was different every time we asked and no-one seemed to have a complete picture. She asked to be called by one name which subsequent staff completely ignored. Then the staff insisted she couldn't walk when she came in and therefore could be discharged unable to walk - she could and was now too weak to walk. As she has all her mental faculties but naturally feels extremely vulnerable and frightened, why didn't anyone think to speak to her? They had protracted conversations 'round the corner' and I had to complain about the very same thing last year. Thank goodness she has an excellent care assessor who will not let them discharge her to home yet. Where is the dignity and respect here? I don't care if they are on 'purple' bed alert!

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 11 April 2014

JD gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Lack of care and compassion

My Mum was admitted into Scunthorpe Hospital in February, there seemed a total lack of communication between different Staff/wards. It took over 10 days for a dietician to see her when this was urgent, when they did turn up they were useless. We ended up sleeping on the floor as we were not comfortable leaving Mum in the care of the hospital staff. We had to continually ask for supplements & where given the wrong ones on several occasion & when I questioned this I was told that it was the weekend & they couldn't get the correct ones! Even though the correct ones where signed for on the medicines sheet. Whilst some individuals were caring the overall experience was very worrying & I have serious concerns for anyone going into Scunthorpe General Hospital without the support of friends or relatives to look out for them. We experienced several wards & whilst I wouldn’t recommend any of them I would never allow a member of my family to be admitted to ward 28 again unless serious changes have been made.
I have only noted a few of the issues we experienced

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 11 April 2014

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone waiting times

The major problem with Scunthorpe Hospital is the unacceptable waiting times both in the hospital and mainly the telephone answering system, I was kept on hold for 2hours and twenty minutes the last time I had occasion to phone the appointments section of the opthalmic department, and over 2 hours for a scheduled appointment in the same department. .

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 10 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

hip replacement

My mum had two hip replacement ops in two weeks,and the surgeon was fantastic. The standard of care was excellent.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 09 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 10 April 2014

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback here, which I've passed on to the team. I'm glad to hear you and your mum were happy with her care and treatment.
Kind regards, Sarah Mainprize

crysalis gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 10 and cortisone injection in hip.

Very satisfied with everything and no complaints whatsoever.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 09 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 10 April 2014

Hi, thank you very much for your comments.

Regards,

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Waiting times

The response waiting time for this hospital must be the worst in the United Kingdom over 1 hour per phone response, and 2 hours over for appointments.
The waiting time for appointments is also excessive well in excesso f3 moths..

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 04 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 10 April 2014

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you had a long wait on the telephone. We are experiencing some problems with the phone system at the moment and are looking at how this can be improved.

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital

An average of over 1 hour wait on the telephone

After trying to contact this hospital by phone over the last 6months the average time of waiting is over 1hour in every case. Likewise as an outpatient the average wait time over the time quoted for appointments has been 2 hours. The service by this hospital in this matter is appalling. The clinical side and helpfulness in other departments has been good, but the management side on telephones aqnd appointments is absolutely appalling., I have been currently waiting on the phone for over 1 hour to contact the opthalmology department, it has taken them over 1 hour to answer 6 calls. This is ridiculous.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 04 April 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 10 April 2014

Hello, I'm sorry you've experienced problems with our telephone system. This is something we are looking into urgently as we recognise it needs to improve.
Many thanks

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A very positive experience...

My wife was recently in Ward 10 for a hip replacement operation and from start to finish we can only say how good the care has been. A very big thank you to all the Nurses and staff on Ward 10,who were excellent and of course to the Doctors and back up staff . Thanks to all. Steve on behalf of Kathryn.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 02 April 2014