Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone: 01724 282282
Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Natasha Hall gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 27

I was 1st admitted to ward 27 on May 11th 2015 for a laparoscopy . I got there at 10.45 and shown to a waiting room. At 2.30 the theatre person came and told me I was being cancelled. Needless to say I was none to happy as my husband had also taken the week off to care for me afterwards. I had to wait till 5pm "just in case". I had to go back on 8th June 2015 (exactly 28 days - the latest day they could get me in) and this time I was 1st into theatre on the afternoon list and did not get cancelled. The nurses on the ward were lovely. I feel personally I was let home too early as still felt groggy. Can't fault the staff they were great although wasn't happy about having to sit in a chair all day.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 June 2015

Anonymous reviewed Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Locum with no information " communicating" incomprehensibly

The following is an excerpt from a mail to me from my mother regarding my father's "treatment" at Sunthorpe General. Bear in mind they have been waiting months for this appointment. In the country I now live in he would have had an operation months ago.

"Went to Hospital Cardio for 4pm yesterday as arranged, and I was not impressed. Last time we saw a member of staff who was the one who sent Father to Grimsby for the nuclear scans. We went yesterday expecting to get the results from them. We saw another member of staff with a dreadful accent who questioned Father about the present state of his angina but knew nothing about the scans till we mentioned them. The member of staff couldn't find anything in the computer or the 2inch thick file of Father's notes. They rooted about a bit and twice asked Father "Why did you not go?". Father said "I did go on two days for two scans. The member of staff ended up telephoning Grimsby and eventually found something on the computer. Nothing much after that but they talked about 4 months (next appointment ???) and I heard the word angioplasty. Is he having one? By this time I'd lost the will to live and given up. Time to go home and await the next communication. "

Is this worthy of a first world country in 2015?? I think not.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dermatology

After attending my first appointment a month ago I was put on Roaccutane which I have a 4 week prescription for. I was told I would receive a letter through the post confirming my following appointment for a re issue of the tablets however I have 6 days left and no confirmation of the appointment has been received. I tried contacting the dermatology appointemnt line first on the 15th of June and had no luck all day I tried 4 times. I then tried on the 16th and left a voicemail and got no call back. Tried the 17th 3 times no luck in the end the operator tried for 20minutes to get me through to anyone on the dermatology deptarment and couldn't to which I was passed through to PALS who tried again and had no luck in total I have spent 45 minutes trying to get through to discuss what is going on with my appointment PALS took my details and reassured me someone would contact me today to discuss. After waiting 4 hours for a phone back I decided to try again after 'waiting in a queue' for 10 minutes I gave up contacted the operator and asked for any secretary on the dermatology dept. a lovely person helped me and went and spoke to the appointments dept for me who informed me my consultant is currently on annual leave for a month and not due back till the 26th of june and there are no appointments available and that my details are being sent to management as i have to be seen 4 weekly and I am waiting to here back. Overall this isn't good enough I am a single working mother who has had work disrupted because I have had to keep ringing. I have no idea what will happen if i don't get my tablets in time I wasn't informed that my consultant was going on annual leave and had no feedback to explain the lack of appointments.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 17 June 2015

Anonymous reviewed Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Pain clinic issues still not resolved

The issues with the phone lines have not been resolved. I have left messages also. I cannot speak to anyone and I am waiting for them to contact my GP a month after an outpatient appointment.The next appointment has been made though, how does one get treatment ?

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 08 June 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling. No compassion or empathy. Very unprofessional.

My OH was originally admitted to Wd25. Some of the nurses were good but the rest showed no compassion nor even understanding of basic nursing care. The ward was dirty and the corridors cluttered & hazardous. The next admission involved A&E which couldn't be faulted but then he was moved to CDU which was dire! No basic nursing care, IV infusions allowed to empty and not be replaced for over an hour, even though the doctor had insisted on them being closely monitored and he had to wait for up to 2hrs to get any pain relief.
He was then transferred to the hell-hole that is known as Ward 23 which has to be the worst ward we have ever seen. Both my partner and I are qualified nurses and my partner has been a highly qualified nurse for 30+ yrs and we were shocked to see such appalling lack of care, no compassion, no empathy and a firm refusal to answer questions and to keep the patient informed. A registered nurse, who had virtually no grasp of the English language didn't understand anything we said and could not even complete a sentence and ended up shrugging their shoulders saying "I do not know". Whilst talking to OH on the phone, I witnessed a very disturbing episode where a night nurse asked him his Christian name, didn't confirm his surname, did not check his drug chart and did not check his wrist band. They told him he had to use a nebuliser. Although, due to his condition, he had been a little muddled earlier, he was lucid enough to question this medication but the nurse refused to answer any questions and insisted he use it. He continued to express his concerns, never having needed to use a nebuliser before and not having any issues with his respiratory system, he was hesitant to use it until it was confirmed why he needed it and what exactly the drug was. they simply said "if you don't want it, don't use it" and walked away. Whilst still talking to me, he then looked at his drug chart and there was no prescription for any nebulisers. Dangerous practice to say the least. Luckily he managed to speak to the nurse in charge, later on and they agreed that he was not prescribed any such medication. The ward is mucky, corridors are cluttered and noise levels are appalling, largely down to nursing staff who don't seem to know how to talk or whisper to each other. Even when they are stood next to each other, they seem intent on shouting all the time. He had some faecal incontinence and asked a male nurse for assistance so that he could get cleaned up etc but they didn't help him, said they'd be back, but didn't return. He asked another nurse, who was doing the blood sugars, for help and they said they were busy doing something else but would get somebody to help him. This didn't happen. He had tried to help himself by stripping the bed, he got undressed to remove the soiled linen and was left, naked and soiled for a long time before anybody helped him.
I am disgusted that a terminally ill patient should be treated in this manner. You should be ashamed.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 30 May 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 04 June 2015

Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Please can I ask you to contact our patient advice and liaison team so that we can look into this further? You can telephone or email them on (01724) 290132 or nlg-tr.PALS@nhs.net
Sarah

David Briggs gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very dissatisfied

Hernia op scheduled. I had to be on Ward 25 by 7.30am & didn't get a bed until almost 3pm. Sat for almost 7 & half hours in a filthy "quiet" room with stale bottled drinks, a rotten banana & dust covered cups & kettle. I had to have my anaesthetist & consultant see me in this room as there was no bed. My pre-op examination was done laid across a manky 2 seater sofa! I had one set of post op observations done and didn't see a nurse from 11.30pm (when I had to ask for some toast which I never got as the nurse I asked went off duty), until 9.30am when the doctors came round. On my return 3 days post-op to have my drain checked I was seen in the store room next to the toilet! My discharge letter had no mention of my staples being removed and I have had to chase this up myself. Thoroughly disappointed in this hospital. I have been in many over the years and this is by far the worst. I have complained to PALS.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 05 June 2015

Sarah gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 10

My mum has recently been on ward 10 after a hip replacement and we cannot praise highly enough the consultant, staff and care she was given. Everyone was very professional but also kind and caring and made her stay as pleasant as possible. We were kept up to date at every point with regard to her treatment and progress.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 10 June 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

karen marshall gave Gynaecology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

hysterectomy

attended 7th for hysterectomy and cannot praise enough the car I was given, every member of staff was fantastic, they cared, I was not a number or treated as an inconvenience. The ward was immaculate.

The thing for me was just how much they cared which meant the world.

Cannot praise them enough.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 09 May 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 May 2015

Hi Karen, that is lovely feedback, thank you. It's always such a pleasure to receive such positive comments from a patient. Your kind words have been shared with the relevant senior manager, who will ensure your praise is passed back to the team.
Best wishes,
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Seen very quickly

I went with my 9 year old boy with a wrist break, was seen and treated within an hour. Very good treatment

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 11 May 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 May 2015

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback, the team will appreciate it.
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Pain Clinic

Been trying to contact the pain Clinic for over a week now... Phone just rings and rings and no one answers, when you do get chance to leave a voice message no one bothers ringing you back. It's a very poor service, this was all after appointment cancelled on the day of the operation and they didn't even have the decency to tell me prior to turning up. I've waited well over the time scale for my operation and the lack of communication from the clinic receptionist only adds to the already bad service

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 12 May 2015

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 22 May 2015

Hello, there have been some issues with the phone lines for the pain clinic, which have now been resolved. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.
Regards,