Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

2.5 hours for nothing

I've visited this department numerous times in the last 6 weeks, I've waited 2 hours on one occasion which is just how it happens sometimes and I won't complain about that as I appreciate the fact I can be seen as many times in such a short period. However, today I waited 2.5 hours to see the specialist for my MRI results to which i was referred by this department and this appointment was booked on the same day I had the MRI and i told them exactly why I was there. this was all at the request of the consultant (have the MRI come back a week later) so 2.5 hours of waiting around only to be told 'they're not ready' even I thought a week was too soon! (i phone MRI on friday to check they'd be ready, they're having a separate bad review) anyway the specialist then told me to 'just ask your GP next week' If my GP can assess my MRI then what the heck am I doing here anyway? taking the afternoon off work again and playing car parking space bingo is not how I like to spend my days. So the general feeling is why couldn't someone tell me that they're not ready and save everyone's time? what is going on. I feel for the nurses in this dept I really do but if people could be kept in the loop about the department running late I think everyone would be happier. Anyway, otherwise good and thanks for looking after me (today being the exception)

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 21 July 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this. Please could I ask you to contact our patient advice and liaison team so they can look into it? You can contact them on 01724 290132 or nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Sarah Mainprize

charlotte gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

6 hours to see a child with a bad head injury

I am extremely disgusted with my unfortunate visit to this hospital with my 4 year old daughter. We were waiting for 6 hours to be seen by a nurse whilst my daughter was crying the hole time while I had to hold a towel to her head as she always bleeding fro her injury. To then see the nurse and be told we would have to wait a further 3 or so hours to have it cleaned and stitched! In the end me and my partner gave up completely and took her to Lincoln hospital where she was seen immediately. Not to mention the state of the toilets. Not once in the whole 6 hours we were there were the toilets or any of the area cleaned ! It was awful. I would no recommend that hospital to anyone if the can help it. The staff were all ok they just didn't really seem to care at all that my daughter was so distressed sat there crying and bleeding!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 06 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

jane king gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

accident and emergency

On thursday night i had to take my 2 week old daughter to a&e, i was completely disgusted with what i found. Upon walking in a smell of faeces was apparent, i asked the receptionist what the smell was to recieve a reply of you get used to it. To me this was unacceptable. Upon then being seated to wait being seen it was found that the waiting room had blood on the floor and bowls of vomit left on tables and chairs around the room, there was also rubbish left on the floor around the room, as well as drunken individuals who were wretching and trying to be sick in more bowls. Luckily i did not have to wait long in theis area to be seen with my daughter, to me this level of cleanliness is unacceptable, there should be a cleaner available 24/7 to deal with these things and something like this should never just be left, its bad infection control and gives the hospital a bad reputation.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 09 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Clare Garner gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E superb

What can i say ..attended with my son Friday 8th July following an accident at school. He was called through even before i had finished booking him in at reception. Seen straight away by doctor who pushed the trolley through to xray to save time. Within less than an hour we had been seen and referred for specialist treatment at Hull Royal ...just shows when the service is used what it is designed for it can't be beaten- thank you all very much

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Appointment chaos

Although care given in the department , the appointment system is very poor. At the moment I have a written appointment for 18th and a text reminder for 19th. I have given up trying to contact the department to try to verify which is correct, no one has answered my message which I left.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 13 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

denise chadburn gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

cold people

Had gallbladder out 8th july 2016 , because of concerns over stopping breathing when i am asleep the anesthetist decided to keep me in overnight. I was put on HOBS ward 28. Although the nurses did their job very efficiently I felt a distinct lack of warmth or personality from them. I felt because I wasn't as poorly as the other three people in that bay that they didn't really see why I should be there. I tried so hard to break through this coldness but it was pointless. At one point my drip made a bleeping sound which meant it needed changing and I asked the nurse what it was for and they told me but then said they had told the doctor they didn't think I needed one but as they had written it up for me they had to give me it. They were reluctant to help me get my legs into bed and I was really struggling at this point. When I was sat in a chair it had wheels on so as I tried to get up it rolled back and I fell back in it. the staff nurse just stood there getting impatient and didn't offer to help at all. They actually said "come on " in an impatient voice. Like I say the practical nursing care was carried out very efficiently and I do not want to make an official complaint, it is hard to describe how people make you feel, but they did make me feel very unwanted and like i was a nuisance, it was not MY fault I was put there I just really feel I wanted to get it off my chest because I can't get it out of my mind. Later the next day I was taken to Ward 28 to be discharged and the nurses there couldn't have been more different. So friendly and nothing was too much trouble , I wish I had been put there instead of HOBS, in fact that is what the nurses at HOBS told me that I really shouldn't have been there . I'm sorry they felt like that but I am human and I was and still am struggling to walk and do things for myself like bending down , I realise it probably was a ward for more seriously ill people but I didn't ask to be put there and I have a right to be treated with respect and compassion the same as the next person.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 14 July 2016

liz gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Dad's operation and stay at Scunthorpe

My Dad is currently at Scunthorpe following an operation yesterday. I witnessed the care he received before and after the surgery. All the staff have been excellent nothing has been to much trouble and they have listened and understood his needs perfectly. It has given me a huge new found respect for the NHS staff and the work they do. Thank you very much it is made the experience much easier for our family.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Lizzie S gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Really fast and very efficient

The clinical team were great, very professional and yet friendly.Thank you

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 16 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Dennis Sandell gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Still waitig

1 hour wait in eye clinic no info 1 short eye test. As always waste of time no organisation 8 staff having chat session at 9.30 not enough seats in waiting area

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 22 July 2016

SDF1985 gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Lack of communication

I had a hernia repaired. Whilst the nurses were friendly and helpful there seemed to be a lack of communication. Once my op had been completed and i had come round from the anesthetic someone from the surgical team came to see me and said all had gone well and that they were happy for me to be discharged whenever i was ready. A short while later i asked the nurse to remove the drip from my hand so i could get dressed. However the nurse said that was not possible and that i had to wait until i had used more of the fluid in the bag (i had already drank 4 cups of water, a cup of tea and 3 cups of orange). Also a doctor had also given me the all clear to leave. Also i was told nil by mouth from 6:30am on the day of the op for an operation that was to take place around 1 to 1:30pm. So thats no food or water at all. Except i didnt get seen to until 3:30pm. So thats 9 hours with no food or water. And just to top it off. Once i got home the dressing they gave me to change over the cut was an inch to small. Needless to say im not happy at all.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 24 July 2016