Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Away from home grandson

I can't thank A &E and ward 28 enough. My grandson. Callum works away on contract and has had a very hard time healthwise in his 22 years, constant illness and operations. He rang me sobbing in pain last week, and finally took himself to hospital in great distress. He attended to speedily, efficiently and with the greatest of care from staff who recognised his emotional as well as physical needs, being alone with no friends or family. I'm so very grateful to everyone, at every level. Gold medal award in the medical Olympics every one of you.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Neidukad reviewed Scunthorpe General Hospital

It's my child story

My child has a head injury. We came with 3 year old bleeding child and nobody checked us. Just told take a seat, and I waited about 3 hours till doctor check my child, and it's not look like be busy time. My child have big headache.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 13 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Emergency treatment for my teenage child

Our child was admitted to Disney Ward following an A&E consultation which resulted in emergency surgery. This took place over a weekend and the speed at which things developed was fantastic. We knew that our child's well-being was at the forefront of the hospitals procedures. Following the surgery we were told by the surgeon that we would be seen again the following mid-morning before being discharged if all was well. This did happen eventually at around 4pm the following afternoon. We understood the delay as the specialist surgeon was on call and we had to wait until they were available. The surgeon was accompanied by a junior doctor and they went off to arrange the discharge. We were then informed by the junior doctor (in a very jovial manner) that they hadn't had their lunch yet and would do that first so that they could concentrate on writing the discharge form!!!! Obviously bed side manner was not a priority during their training. We had been through a traumatic weekend and just wanted to get home with our child and certainly hadn't had a meal within 48 hours let alone missed our lunch. Eventually we were discharged after a six hour wait. The nurses in Disney were fantastic and they certainly are the backbone of the hospital. The surgeon concerned was also very professional and fully aware of our concerns and showed great empathy towards us and our son. Shame the junior doctor who we met for all of 2 minutes dulled our opinion!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Rosie gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Positive experience!

Yesterday I attended the Gastroenterology department for an Endoscopy procedure. I was apprehensive ,but needed have worried. All the staff were amazing! Everthing was explained clearly and every effort made to put me at ease. I opted for an anesthetiser throat spray rather than a sedative. This was very effective, quick and this, plus the expertise of the staff, made the experience easier than expected. After being discharged, I was able to continue my day as normal. The only grumble I had was the difficulty in finding a parking space. If I were you, I would arrive well in advance of your appointment time, in case you have to queue to park!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Anonymous gave Urology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't try to speak to them over the telephone.

I've visited this hospital on several occasions and found the cleanliness to be generally okay. However, the level of service over the telephones is very poor. A number of departments (urology being an example) will often fail to pick up calls or leave you waiting for up to an hour. I recently spent an hour in the telephone queue only to be transferred to a receptionist who told me that that department 'wasn't picking up at the moment'. You try to leave messages or send emails, only to receive warning letters for not attending appointments. I wouldn't recommend this hospital to family or friends.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 18 August 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

An example of Government Neglect

Thought things were bad here 18 years ago when my daughter was born but now as my father reaches the end of the line - boy has it got worse. Not the nursing staffs fault - who do their best, but with doctors who barely communicate to patients family and seem to have little regard for patients well being. Understaffed you feel that everything is restricted by budget constraints and barely holding the thing together. A place in need of investigation as I fear for anyone admitted!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 27 August 2016

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

2.5 hours for nothing

I've visited this department numerous times in the last 6 weeks, I've waited 2 hours on one occasion which is just how it happens sometimes and I won't complain about that as I appreciate the fact I can be seen as many times in such a short period. However, today I waited 2.5 hours to see the specialist for my MRI results to which i was referred by this department and this appointment was booked on the same day I had the MRI and i told them exactly why I was there. this was all at the request of the consultant (have the MRI come back a week later) so 2.5 hours of waiting around only to be told 'they're not ready' even I thought a week was too soon! (i phone MRI on friday to check they'd be ready, they're having a separate bad review) anyway the specialist then told me to 'just ask your GP next week' If my GP can assess my MRI then what the heck am I doing here anyway? taking the afternoon off work again and playing car parking space bingo is not how I like to spend my days. So the general feeling is why couldn't someone tell me that they're not ready and save everyone's time? what is going on. I feel for the nurses in this dept I really do but if people could be kept in the loop about the department running late I think everyone would be happier. Anyway, otherwise good and thanks for looking after me (today being the exception)

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 21 July 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this. Please could I ask you to contact our patient advice and liaison team so they can look into it? You can contact them on 01724 290132 or nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net
Sarah Mainprize

charlotte gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

6 hours to see a child with a bad head injury

I am extremely disgusted with my unfortunate visit to this hospital with my 4 year old daughter. We were waiting for 6 hours to be seen by a nurse whilst my daughter was crying the hole time while I had to hold a towel to her head as she always bleeding fro her injury. To then see the nurse and be told we would have to wait a further 3 or so hours to have it cleaned and stitched! In the end me and my partner gave up completely and took her to Lincoln hospital where she was seen immediately. Not to mention the state of the toilets. Not once in the whole 6 hours we were there were the toilets or any of the area cleaned ! It was awful. I would no recommend that hospital to anyone if the can help it. The staff were all ok they just didn't really seem to care at all that my daughter was so distressed sat there crying and bleeding!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 06 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

jane king gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

accident and emergency

On thursday night i had to take my 2 week old daughter to a&e, i was completely disgusted with what i found. Upon walking in a smell of faeces was apparent, i asked the receptionist what the smell was to recieve a reply of you get used to it. To me this was unacceptable. Upon then being seated to wait being seen it was found that the waiting room had blood on the floor and bowls of vomit left on tables and chairs around the room, there was also rubbish left on the floor around the room, as well as drunken individuals who were wretching and trying to be sick in more bowls. Luckily i did not have to wait long in theis area to be seen with my daughter, to me this level of cleanliness is unacceptable, there should be a cleaner available 24/7 to deal with these things and something like this should never just be left, its bad infection control and gives the hospital a bad reputation.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 09 July 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Clare Garner gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E superb

What can i say ..attended with my son Friday 8th July following an accident at school. He was called through even before i had finished booking him in at reception. Seen straight away by doctor who pushed the trolley through to xray to save time. Within less than an hour we had been seen and referred for specialist treatment at Hull Royal ...just shows when the service is used what it is designed for it can't be beaten- thank you all very much

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016