Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Half an hour spent trying to contact Ophthalmology

I have just spent over half an hour trying to contact Ophthalmology to be cut of 3 times, I found it impossible to contact the department. I got through to the switchboard to end up where I started by a very rude and abrupt operator. I have not been able to contact anyone.
I have rang up 5 -6 times, been put through to the fax machine at least 3 times.
This does not inspire confidence in how the hospital is run!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Linda gave Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wrist Procedure

I recently had to attend hospital for a wrist procedure under the day surgery team.

Ward 10 staff, theatre staff and the doctors who were absolutely amazing as I was so nervous but they all put me at ease and made the experience so much better. Also the domestic staff were excellent and arranged gluten free meals for me without hesitation and nothing was too much trouble (something that has never happened on prior stays at this hospital)

I cannot thank them enough for the care and kindness shown to me by them all.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 07 June 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Linda gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I had to attend A&E

I had to attend A&E yesterday . My Oncology nurse took me there. I was seen straight away. Bloods,ECG, chest X-ray. I was treated with dignity. I was then transferred to MAU. Had a short wait there to see the doctor who was lovely too. After pleading with they , they understood my home circumstances and allowed me to go home. I returned for CT today.
I hear of bad stories but I would like to thank all the people who was involved in my care. I couldn't have asked for any better. Thank you

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 16 June 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Visiting/birthing partner atrendance

My best friend is currently in the ward. Has been for a few days now. Her main birth partner is her mum and I am also her birth partner. It is her first baby and she is petrified inside.especially being that the baby is going to be premature. Unfortunately a couple of the days her mother (and main birth partner) wasn't able to be with her and the expectant mother asked if I could stand in being as I am on the list as a birth partner and am her best friend. I obliged and sorted out lifts and when I arrived and buzzed to be let in I was asked if I was the birth partner. I don't lie so I openly said that I am for today because her main partner and mother is unable to attend and so I'm stepping in. I got told she is not allowed to swap and change birth partners and that on this ward she is only allowed one partner until.she is taken upstairs then she can have two. I was given quite a lecture about this but none of us were informed about any of this when she was first admitted so if they had not have let me in she would have been all on her own. I was allowed to stay but I feel the staff member was very rude and quite harsh. I sat quietly all day and caused no bother to anyone. It eased my friend to have me there and helped out her mother aswell because she has a poorly husband to care for too and cannot be there at all times. I do not understand what harm it causes to have a change in birth partners. There are only two of us, we have not been there at the same time crowding the bed except during visiting times then obviously we are both there. If it means she is not alone and worrying and we keep quiet and out of the way and make sure we announce who we are then j don't know why the two of us cannot share out the role of being partners. If anybody is admitted to hospital and have staff members being as awkward and short and difficult with the visitors/birth partners as I and her mother have had then the patients will be very lonely because it was disgusting. Her mother got quite upset and shake at having this stupid rule.enforced to her. Can you explain what the harm is in having me replace her main birth partner so as not to leave her alone when her mother clearly had her own life and responsibilities she needs to take care of at home.she cannot be everywhere at once. The attitude stinks.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 20 June 2016

highland rosie reviewed Scunthorpe General Hospital

Care on Ward 23 could have been improved

On admission as a? CVA I was admitted to the High dependency stroke unit and tests done including a endoscopy where it was found I had a gastric bleed from an ulcer. The treatment on this unit was first class even though I was on wrong unit and no other bed could be found. I had a transfusion and IV drugs and infusion. All staff were very efficient. I was then moved to ward 23 in Scunthorpe hospital where I was in a 6 bed ward. While on this ward I had to walk to the desk to tell the nurses on nights who were all sat down chatting that the infusion had been bleeping on the patient next to me as it was completed they could hear the noise it was making at the desk. It was 11pm. I also had to assist a patient back to her bed as they nearly fell. No carer was helping the patient even though the bell was ringing. On a ward round the whole ward heard a patient being informed their cancer had returned and it had spread to other organs. I believe this should of been done in private. My discharge letter had the wrong gp name and address on it and it stated I had been xrayed which was not right, no mention of endoscopy or transfusions. Haemoglobin was not checked prior to discharge. I think care could of been greatly improved on ward 23.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

harrymorgan gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An Expression of Gratitude

I should like to express my thanks for the splendid way I was treated during my brief stay in the hospital during 21/22 June this year.
All staff from consultants downwards were superb in every way. Very professional, very caring and always pleasant.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 27 June 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very good experience of A&E

Took my wife to A&E with what appeared to be a fractured ankle. Staff helpfully found me a wheelchair, she was booked in and seen within 10 mins and had an X Ray in 20. Pain relief was offered whilst at the reception desk. Luckily it's a very minor bony injury so she was treated, follow up arranged and given some crutches. Everyone was efficient and helpful. Couldn't fault it.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 31 May 2016

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback, it's always a pleasure to hear from satisfied patients! Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A friendly and caring ward

I was admitted to ward 19 for a suspected eptiopic pregnancy. This was my first pregnancy after 3 years trying to conceive. During my time on the ward, I was told I had had a miscarriage. I treated with sensitivity, dignity and care. I was given a side room and felt that I had the privacy to deal with my miscarriage physically and emotionally. I cannot conmend the ward staff enough for their exceptional care, empathy and hard work. I felt safe and reassured throughout my hospital stay. I would like to thank the team on ward 19 for the amazing job they do.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 29 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 31 May 2016

Hello, thank you very much for your kind comments and condolences on your sad loss. It's very humbling to read your praise, I'm sure the team will really appreciate it.
Sarah Mainprize

My very frail elderly mum was treated in her last hours. From her arrival in A&E to her sad death she was treated with care kindness and respect by all staff. My sister and I were kept informed and supported through everything that happened.

SGH may not look like the most modern hospital but the quality of care we experienced was excellent.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 May 2016

Hello, I'm sorry to hear of your recent bereavement. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review, it is reassuring to hear that the hospital staff took such good care of your family during your time there.
Sarah

Liz gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day-case surgery

Fantastic care of my husband who was very anxious. They reassured him, told him what was happening every step of the way and really looked after him. All staff were friendly and efficient. The department was clean and comfortable. We were seen promptly. The surgeon knew what they were doing and was excellent. Thank you all so much for everything.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 May 2016

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 31 May 2016

Hi Liz, thank you so much for taking the time to post your kind comments, hope your husband has had a good recovery.