Scunthorpe General Hospital

Telephone: 01724 282282
Address: Cliff Gardens, Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH
Website: http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/

Janet gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Blue Sky Imaging Department and P.I.U.

My sister has learning difficulties and was suffering from ascites - a build up of fluid in her stomach, and was scheduled to have a drain inserted into her stomach using an ultrasound image guide. She is in her 70s and hadn't been to hospital since her 20s, so was understandably very unsettled about going into hospital, and the forthcoming procedure.

She was admitted onto the Planned Investigations Unit, and the staff couldn't have been kinder to her. When the time came for her to go for the procedure, the doctor and his assisting nurse/technician were an absolute delight. They chatted to my sister putting her at complete ease throughout, with the doctor even sang a line from a song she knew, and at the end she had been virtually unaware that anything had taken place.

As a result she left the hospital saying "Isn't everyone kind, all the doctors and nurses - don't they look after you well".

Today I had to take her back for a C. T. Scan, and she was looked after by a nurse. Another lovely person who took great care with her.

Thank you everyone at Blue Sky Imaging Department and Planned Investigation Unit Ward. Your kindness was greatly appreciated.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

sarah gave Maternity service at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Denied visiting

I'm just leaving a comment to say: I'm appalled in regards to my experience this morning at SGH. I went to visit my sister this morning on the delivery suit, with my mum! I had to wait outside the ward doors, as was refused entry to see my new-born nephew! The midwife on duty would only let my mum on the ward or a birthing partner! Even if my mum came out, she still would not allow me in! Despite my sister been consenting for me to visit! I had to get a lift home, whilst my mum to stayed!
I can honestly say, as a nursing working in the NHS this is not good! Scunthorpe General Hospital, you have failed the family and friends test from me! The rules are like something from the dark ages! Also the ward has no signs displayed outside the doors, stipulating the above!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gastroenterology

I was referred to Scunthorpe hospital to see a gasteroenterologist. I was seen very quickly and efficiently in outpatients. I was extremely anxious but she instantly put my mind at rest and was very reassuring. She advised me to have a colonoscopy which I was very nervous about. However, I was treated with the upmost dignity and respect. The dignity pants were brilliant, as were all of the staff. The department was clean and welcoming, as were all of the staff I came across. Everyone was so supportive and allayed my fears. I would certainly recommend this consultant and the hospital as the service I have received has been first class. From the booking office staff, to the receptionist, preassessment nurse, consultant, nurses in recovery, and the nurses in the theatre - they have all been fantastic.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 October 2014

ray hotchin reviewed Orthopaedics at Scunthorpe General Hospital

Why are some consultants so arrogant and rude !!

After seeing the consultant today i went away feeling let down and very angry because he was arrogant and rude and he even at one point made a comment that i had wasted an xray on my knees.He told me bluntly that my knees hurt so much because of wear & tear and i should go and try some ibuprofen.At the end of the day did he think i was that stupid i have not tried this and it was my Dr that sent me there in the first and i bet if his knees hurt as much as mine i bet he would not be so smug because the pain in knees is really painful,And if i have had a bad day at work i don't come home and be rude to any one.And i know they are really clever people but this does not excuse them from been arrogant and rude and just upset people and cause them more stress.And i have to admit it was had to bite my tongue and not be rude and arrogant back but i did not because unlike the consultant i don't enjoy upsetting people and been rude to them !!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 21 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Mr Charles Wheddon gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Angio Plasty Stent fitting

All the staff were excellent.
The theatre staff were very friendly and made me feel relaxed
At the end of the treatment I was shown the final X-ray and the Doctor explained the procedure fully and the outcome . The results were good.
I cannot think of anyway the hospital could make any improvements

My Wife came with me and she was treated very well

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 October 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Heather Bristol gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Cancellation of my outpatient appointment

I went and had my field tests done and knew that I had a follow up apt for next Friday at 9.20. Today, Friday 26 Sept I receive a letter altering my apt - they say - Unfortunately we are not able to offer you an alternative apt at this time. I find this totally unacceptable. I have borderline glaucoma and it is important that I have eye checks every 6 months. Before I moved into this area I never had trouble at my previous area's eye unit. It is not acceptable not to give me an apt date! Furthermore, when I was up having my field tests done, I was not told by the nurse that I could go home so we waited an hour and a half and it was only when I enquired when I was going in that I discovered that I need not have waited. It would surely be obvious and courtesy to say to patients we will see you at your follow up on whatever date. I was concerned about floaters - another very nice and helpful nurse had a word with the dr and then conveyed a message back to me - not very re-assuring to me - the patient! Additionally, I have been on the phone and held on and on for over 15 mins and not moved up the queue at all - again far from impressed!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 01 October 2014

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive the service you expected. Thank you for raising these issues, which are now being addressed. If you would like to speak to someone at the hospital about this, please can you contact Libby Jackson on 01472 87411 ext 2468.

michael anderson reviewed Respiratory Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital

I was in SGH for 9 days, my treatment was second to none.

I was in SGH for asthma.The treatment I received was fantastic, constant monitoring, no issues with administration of medication, the ward was cleaned on a daily basis by very cheerful staff who would find the time to chat for a minute or two during their busy work schedule. The RNs and care work assistants working hand in hand both would make the beds and do the observations and include you in conversation, not made to feel like a person who shouldn't be there.Every one there made my stay in SGH a very pleasant experience at a very difficult time. God bless them all they are true hero's in my eyes.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A very dangerous situation

My 84 year old mother suffers from Alzheimers. She was admitted to Scunthorpe hospital after she accidentally took an overdose of her medication. The medication slowed her heart down.

She was moved from CDU (where the staff were really helpful and brilliant) to the Coronary Heart Unit. My brother, his wife and I visited mum tonight. We were mortified to find mum laying on her bed with her dossette box, complete with tablets, inches away from her.

I went to the nurses desk and asked if they knew that mum had taken an overdose. They replied 'Yes'. I told them her medication was on top of her cupboard. A nurse immediately came and put it in the lock up box. I told her I was shocked. This was a very dangerous situation. There was nothing to stop mum taking the remaining tablets. Where has common sense gone on this ward?

Mum was alone in the bay when we arrived, there were no other patients in. She was crying her heart out. I haven't seen her cry for over a year when my aunty died. For most of our visit, we heard staff chatting about their personal lives. Whatever happened to 'care' on this ward? Shame on you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 02 October 2014

Vicki gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 27

Just had my gallbladder out and can't praise the nurses on ward 27 enough. A group of genuinely caring nurses who couldn't do enough for you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Really glad to hear that, thank you very much for posting this feedback.
Best wishes for your recovery,
Sarah Mainprize

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

order of treatment and care given not satisfactory

When arrived by ambulance waiting room was packed and the people who arrived by ambulance was queued up in the corridor on the ambulance beds it took over an hour to get a room. When we got a room we saw the doctor within the hour with bloods taken and the outcome that my partner would be getting a drip in straight away it has now been well over an hour and still no drip? No medication given at all. Not wanting to complain because of other people may need more serious care. Went outside to find the waiting room nearly empty and most of the staff standing talking at the reception or drinking tea while my partner is still waiting for a drip and any medication from when she was picked up from our home at approximately 2000 it is now 0200 how is this acceptable? If we paid private we would have been seen and home or admitted with first class treatment. Even though we do pay every week in our deductions from our wages this is the treatment we have received (nothing ) in 6 hours can you please explain to me how this is acceptable. Outside nurses on there break inside stood around doing nothing and talking about tea breaks most of the a&e now empty and still not received any treatment. Do you have to complain to be seen? I think it is time to start complaining and see where that gets us. totally appalling treatment or lack of it that is the problem. I understand that the staff are busy hence why I have not complained to the staff yet but when you walk outside and see most of the staff doing nothing and the department nearly empty and you have been here 5 and a half hours with no treatment that is not acceptable. Moral of the story being a good patient gets you no where.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 06 September 2014

Scunthorpe General Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for your comments, please could I ask you to contact operational matron Dawn Ojadi so that she can take some additional details and look into this properly? You can contact her on dawn.ojadi@nhs.net or by phone on 01472 874111 ext 7209.