Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Janet Kaye gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Security office A&E

I was at A&E with my daughter and she went to the security office to ask for change for a new £5 note to use in the vending machine. I saw her behind the glass partition and the person who answered at the window listened to her and then they turned around to the back of them and then proceeded to close the window. My daughter then returned to her seat embarrassed, and explained that a person sat at the back of the office in a yellow vest/jacket shouted "no" across to her. I made no issue with this at the time but my daughter was upset. Later when I only had the same £5 to pay for parking I took it to the same security window and they gave me change for it and had a pile of cash on a desk very close to,the window so I don't see why my daughter was treated poorly, there was no reason other than someone 'in authority' could tell a young child what to do. She is 13 and very sensible.

Then to add insult to injury, my car parking cost £3.50 and I was told that if I was returning within 24 hours I could pay an extra £1 and come and go. On this occasion I wasn't but last year we had to visit the hospital on numerous consecutive days when my father died there and my son was was very ill. No-one told us about this system and we came and went from the car park many, many times sometimes paying £9. Where is the communication, where is the advice, why can't that be made obvious. I'm quite angry about the system. We were often there late at night waiting to be let out of a car park and having to shout into a machine. It was all very stressful.

With regard to nursing staff I can't fault their empathy but why can't this descend to security. What is their problem?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 March 2017

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

no one would even answer the phone for the main telephone

how can it be possible that no one will answer the phone for the main phone number

i'm up to 15 minutes now calling

overload with office staff but no one to do the actual work

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 06 March 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Clare Dzyga gave General Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Clinic visit

I have been for a clinic visit today and my husband has had to take an unpaid day off work to take me due to having recent surgery. When we booked in a receptionist came and told us the clinic had been cancelled and they had rang me . I've had NO calls from the hospital it has now cost us around £100 with lost wages and parking and petrol as we travelled from Barton upon Humber. Not impressed

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

Sbell gave Diabetic Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

ward 23

My son has just spent almost a week on ward 23 what a marvellous ward it was the nurses were lovey and could not do enough to help the doctors were very approachable with discussing treatment and care it was very clean too the food was just ok So a big Thank you to all on ward 23 you are very much appreciated Mrs S Bell

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 08 March 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Long waits for Pre Assessment

I had a Pre Assessment appointment on the 13th march and was appalled with the slow action of nursing staff in the department. Firstly the clinic is held on a ward so you have to walk past lots of sick patients to reach the clinic area which we felt was not appropriate and as a patient I wold hate to be placed on that ward for that reason. The ward itself didn't look like it had been touched in 10 years and was very dark and dated. The nursing staff were very slow originally a 30 min delay soon turned into 55 mins as the staff were slow to get patients through. it was only after speaking to a nurse we told them we had transport to catch did the speed pick up. My appointment itself I saw as pretty pointless as all it was, was a questionnaire which took 4 mines in total and height and weight, we were then told by the nurse who had a bit of an attitude they were done and we could go home.
The appointment itself was pointless and the questions could be asked over the phone, online or at another appointment surely..

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Anonymous gave Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Who is responsible?

I have been referred for chest X-ray and exercise ECG as am experiencing breathlessness and constant yawning on activity. X-ray was done the same day as request sent but report takes over two weeks to reach GP (when my dog had x-ray, the result was available immediately). As for ECG I am still waiting for appointment. Having rung the department for info, I was told it may be weeks before anything can be arranged. This in spite of the fact that is on my record that I suffer from two types of cancer and am receiving care and treatment for it and that my father died of heart attack, mum had heart attack, older brother had triple bypass and younger brother had two surgeries for major arterial problems.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Tracey Brian gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Dept. SGH

There are not enough stars to reflect the endoscopy dept. Staff arè friendly efficient and caring..instinctively knowing how to put you at ease and begin do so from the second you walk in to the calm clean dept.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Dean Robinson gave Cardiology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding staff on ward 24

I want to say how amazing the stay on ward 24 has been. I was nearly in for 5 weeks stay, all the staff from the nurses the health care workers and the domestic staff are amazing, very friendly, always with a smile and very very helpful. They brighten up any stay. I would personally like to thank all of them. You are all amazing, shame I didn't get to hug you all. How you do your job with the smiles you do absolutely amazes me. I must say yet again your outstanding x All my love Dean

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Hmum85 reviewed Scunthorpe General Hospital

The care I received was outstanding

During my pregnancy I felt well cared for by my community midwives, and was nervous about what would happen when I went into hospital as I'd heard the common complaints about services within the NHS.
I was booked for an induction and right from the off the care I received was outstanding. After my little one arrived we experienced a few complication due to me having gestational diabetes and so feeding was important but challenging.
As such I stayed in hospital for 4 days whilst my little one and I got to grips with feeding. It was very challenging but I received an unexpected amount of support from everyone I was in contact with. I was never harassed or rushed and given reassurance and help whoever I needed it. Nothing was too much bother.
Since leaving hospital, we have still had some issues with feeding and babies weight and jaundice became a concern. My community team stepped in and went beyond the expected to make sure Baby and I were ok. It really was so good to know someone cared. I don't know where I'd be without them all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E excellent

I had to go to A & E by ambulance today and after hearing the stories in the press I was not overly optimistic. But how wrong I was. The first responder arrived within 10 minutes with the ambulance quickly after. The crews were so reassuring and friendly and made me feel safe.
The staff in A & E were friendly, reassuring and professional and everything was lovely and clean. Top marks for everyone and a huge thankyou.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017