Queen Alexandra Hospital

023 9228 6000 Southwick Hill Road, Cosham , Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3LY

GFJH gave Stroke services at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Patient Centred. Efficient and Effective.

From the moment I received a phone call to attend the QA for assessment the following day everything went like clockwork. First the person on the phone told me times, where to be, and how long it was likely to take. When I arrived at each station it was clear that I was expected (there had not been time for any paperwork) and there was no excessive waiting to be seen. All the staff I had any substantial contact with were people centred. At the end of the experience I was fully informed. I was lucky, the news was good, but the important thing for me was that the NHS and the QA gave an exemplary performance.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 06 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience within Stroke Services.
Debbie

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Joke

Close friend went in for mental health issues, doctor made him talk about it in the open in front of other patients. Then went on to make my friend feel belittled and extremely upset and asked ridiculous questions like "what do you want me to do about it?" Absolutely abysmal treatment from a so called professional. To top it all of a complete stranger though it was acceptable to try and get involved in my friends issues while waiting by starting an argument with us telling my friend to "sort it out" and "others have it worse" while staff simply watched on.
Complete joke and I expect to contacted with a serious apology.

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's experience within the Emergency Department and that he was made to feel belittled, your description of events would certainly not be what we would expect.
If your friend would like to discuss this further with a member of staff, please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at PHT.Pals@porthosp.nhs.uk or via the free phone on 0800 9176039 and give them details and they will be happy to help.
Debbie

Anonymous gave Day treatment services at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

day surgery for gallbladder

Having just had my first general anaesthetic at qa and being very nervous i found the hospital and all the staff involved in my operation caring and very efficient my surgeon was nice and calming and so was my anaesthetist and the nurse in the recovery area was with me all the time fom waking up until leaving the hospital checking my blood pressure at least 5 times.my only slight criticism would be not seeing the surgeon after my op to say thank you and to check there were no complications for future reference but i understand just how busy they are and their workload does not allow that time. All in all a very good experience and would not be so nervous if i had to have another operation. So a big thank to all at qa and a big one to my surgeon.

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind thoughts with us. I am really pleased to hear that you found your first experience in a hospital to be efficient and calming.
Please be assured that I will share your comments with the Teams involved and I am sure they will be just as delighted to receive them.
Debbie

Gill gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy

I had my 7th Colonoscopy in 2 years at QA after recently moving from Surrey.
The whole experience at QA was so pleasantly different to the 6 colonocopies I've had before. The hospital enironment was so clean, bright and very welcoming.
All the staff involved in the procedure were lovely , reassuring and highly competent. Thank you for performing the least painful Colonoscopy I've ever had. Thank you for inserting a cannula first time and painless into my 'difficult' veins. Thank you for your caring manner , chatting to me and distracting me.
Lastly the staff in the recovery ward and the staff nurse , thank you for you kind and considerate support.
Everything went like clockwork.

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Dear Gill Thank you for taking the time to share your kind thoughts with us. I am really pleased to hear that you found your whole experience to be different from your previous ones and that you found staff reassuring and highly competent.

Awful just awful

Whilst I understand totally the NHS is stretched it doesn't not excuse the lack of dignity and the joke of a system in the A&E department. People having obs done in public view. Waiting times over five hours for myself. Not being given pain killers when I was in excruciating pain. People swearing in the waiting room in front of kids and people smoking cannabis in the car park stairwell.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

I'm sorry to hear of your experience in the Emergency Department, your description of events would certainly not be what we would expect.
If you would like to discuss this further with a member of staff, please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at PHT.Pals@porthosp.nhs.uk or via the free phone on 0800 9176039 and give them details and they will be happy to help.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip Replacement

Had an appointment on the 2nd February with the Orthopedics and found the experience very relaxed and all the staff I saw were very helpful and friendly

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you found your experience relaxed, helpful and friendly.
Please be assured that I will share your comments with the team involved and am sure they will be delighted to receive such lovely comments.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you well following your hip replacement.

Kate G gave Gynaecology at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent hysterectomy

The QA hospital staff are all excellent I recently stayed on A5 ward following my hysterectomy. The consultant andtheir team are outstanding. I was given time to ask surgeon and anesthetist any questions, and was made to feel relaxed about everything. Recovery Team, all the nurses and all the support staff are all friendly helpful and very caring. We only hear all the negative stories in the press but I have seen first hand how hard everybody works thank you to everyone who helped me

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 10 February 2017

Thank you Kate for taking the time to leave your kind words. I am pleased to hear that your surgery went well and that you were made to feel relaxed and supported.
I would like to assure you that I will share your comments with the team concerned, who I'm sure will be delighted to receive them.
Debbie

John from Bognor gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My op today 08/02/17

I had a operation today to remove a cyst from my left ear and i would just like to say what lovely staff there are and the surgeon was superb i would like to thank them all the staff were helpful kind. And most of all caring i was admitted at 0700 this morning had to go to E level which is the theater suite ivwas greeted by several nurses which were really attentive i got gowned up and sat a chatted to other patients while i waited to see the surgeon the Surgeon was great very thouro and told me exactly what they were going to do i went down to theatre at 11.15 andcwas taken by a nurse down to the waiting area they were brilliant they really cared i was nervous and made me feel good.overall all the staff that were in my operation were top class and i would like to thank them all very much and even the discharge person was brilliant they made me a cuppa and made sure i was ok thank you for that i cannot remember what there names are but a massive thankyou to you all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Dear John
Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind words. I am pleased to hear that your surgery went well and that you were made to feel really cared for.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

op cancel two times

I am waiting for right knee replacement I been waitng since last sept 2016 I was suppose have tithis op 4th jan got cancel no beds wait to 8th feb 2017 turning up 7am to have iop waitng b4 hours 11.20 am got no beds again this hospital is a joke now got wait to 15th march third time lucky i hopereview will be.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 February 2017

I am sorry to hear that you have had your knee operation cancelled twice. I would like to assure you that staff only cancel procedures when there is absolutely no alternative but to do so.
However, we appreciate the upset and inconvenience this can cause and if you would like to discuss this further with a member of staff then please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at PHT.Pals@porthosp.nhs.uk or via the free phone on 0800 9176039 and give them details, they will be happy to try and help.

Hosptial Supporter reviewed Queen Alexandra Hospital

The treatment was delt with fast and saved her life

My mother was taken to A&E Resusitation for urgent treatment yesterday. Myself and my brother are so greatful for the speed and care my mother had whilst at QA A&E. The treatment was delt with fast and saved her life. Once she was more stable they moved her to Majors and then onto MAU. We think it was outstanding even tho all the staff are under pressure dealing with loads of things. The outcome was positive due to fast treatment, we cant congratulate and thank all the staff who supported us and looked after my mother. Even tho they have loads of people to look after they manage well and give first class care and support. Thank you so much for all your help.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 22 February 2017

Dear Hospital Supporter
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am pleased to hear that your mother had such a positive experience within the Emergency Department.
Please be assured that I will share your comments with the teams involved and am sure they will be delighted to receive such lovely comments. I would to take this opportunity to wish your mother well for the future.