Queen Alexandra Hospital

023 9228 6000 Southwick Hill Road, Cosham , Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3LY

Anonymous gave Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bad experience at B level restaurant

Very happy with the service and treatment provided at Queen alexandra hospital. Most of the healthcare staffs are very helpful and supportive. Just had a bad experience while visiting the B level restaurant. It was the first time I brought a coffee from the machine there. The staff at the billing counter was very rude when they asked me from which machine I brought the coffee as there are two. When I tried to explain again they started speaking very rudely. After payment when asked for a bill they initially refused to give stating they don't give bill for contactless card payment. Finally after insisting they gave the bill again showing rude behaviour.
We always appreciate the service provided at the hospital. But this behaviour of B level restaurant staff has made us feel very sad. They could have behaved little politely and tried to help as I am not a regular visitor to the restaurant and don't no about the coffee machines there.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you for your comments about our healthcare staff. I am sorry to hear of your experience with the B-level till staff. Your description of events would certainly not what we would want for our patients and visitors. Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 917 6039 or by email at PHT.PALS@porthosp.nhs.uk so that they can raise your concerns with the appropriate person.

Martin gave General Surgery at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent thoughtful and speedy care

My 20 year old son with learning and communication difficulties and Down Syndrome was admitted as an emergency via his GP with a suspected appendicitis to the Surgical Assessment Unit E1. We were seen and assessed and given initial treatment in a few minutes and then referred for further examination when he had settled. All staff were very careful to engage with him (rather than ask the parent) and to try understand the responses put them into the correct context, and to make sure he was aware of what was happening.

Surgery was scheduled for late in the day and ended up happening first thing next morning for all the usual good operational reasons.

The hospital has a special support nurse for patients with learning difficulties which would have been invaluable had he been un accompanied.

Thanks to consultant surgeon, staff at the SAU and also in G5 who looked after him overnight and post op.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I will be sure to share them with the teams involved as I am sure they will be just as delighted to read them as I was.

Debbie

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

fantastic service from the max fax team

my daughter has had treatment from the team here for the last three and a half years, the service, dedication and skilll of the team is second to none
her braces have been removed today and she has a beautiful smile, we could not be more grateful

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

I am pleased to note that you have found your daughter's care over the last three and half years to be second to none and that she has now got a beautiful smile. Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind words. Please be assured that I will pass your kind words onto the team involved who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Renish gave Urology at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urology consultation

My father dies of the consequences of neglecting his prostate dysfunction. I was consequently referred because my PSA level was a little abnormal though 'it might be normal for you' came as a relief. Incredibly impressed by the quality of the consultation which as much psychological problem (given my family history) as well (and mainly) a physical problem. Wholly satisfied with my engagement with the consultant and the outcomes to date. Can't praise at all highly enough: good questions, attentive ,listening and focused engagement.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Dear Renish

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I am pleased to note that you were satisified with your engagement during your consultation.
Please be assured that I will share your comments with the team involved as I am sure they will be just as delighted to read them as I was.

Anonymous reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen Alexandra Hospital

Hearing Clinic

I started my treatment 4 months ago in ENT

From the start of my GP referring me to the clinic to my current 1st review appointment I have received nothing but excellent care,

The service both ENT and the Hearing Clinic provide is

* Professional
* Caring
* Informative
* Efficient

Thank you all so much with my care and helping me 'hear' you have made a massive difference to my life

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 10 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 18 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I am pleased to note that you found all the service to be professional, caring and informative and that it has made a massive difference to your life.

I will be sure to share your comments with the teams involved as I am sure they will be just as delighted to read them as I was. This will also help other people who may see your comments and feel reassured about having to come into hospital, so a big thank you from all of us.

Debbie

Anonymous gave Oncology - Medical at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Radiotherapy

I have had twenty-five sessions of radiotherapy and have been looked after very well.Sometimes there have been lengthy waits but that has to be accepted.
After my last appointment I had to rush off to an emergency dental appointment and was amazed at the kindness of the staff in making sure I was dealt with extremely promptly so that I could keep my dental appointment.
At the pre radiotherapy planning meeting when I mention that my post op cystitis had not cleared up this was quickly acted upon and I was given the appropriate antibiotics. I was very impressed.
So a big thank you to all the staff at the QA who have gone over and above the call of duty.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 18 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 23 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I am pleased to note that you have been impressed with the care and treatment you have received.
May I take this opportunity to wish you well for the future.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled for the third time

We were promised all was sorted for this third attempt for my mum to have her knee replaced!
Promises, promises, cancelled again, new date given, but again there is a high risk she will be cancelled, all because she needs a high dependent bed, which although booked for today, someone else needed it, so is this ever going to change, how many more times is my 80 yr old mum going to be cancelled, due to the bed not available.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 19 May 2017

Debra Johns, Patient Experience Officer, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 23 May 2017

I am sorry to hear that your mother's operation has been cancelled for a third time We would welcome the opportunity to look into this for you or ask a member of the Team involved to contact you if wish.
If this is something you would be interested in then please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 917 6039 or by email at PHT.PALS@porthosp.nhs.uk so that they can raise your concerns with the appropriate person.

Patient Opinion Logo

Clare Langham gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ward D8, staff absolutely lovely ?? well looked after

My daughter was admitted with severe tonsillitis for I/v antibiotics and steroids as could not swallow and was very poorly. All staff from start to finish were lovely, would especially like to thank two nurses on ward D8 for their wonderful caring bedside manner. Was the first time my daughter had to stay in without me staying due to the fact she was older than 16. I knew she was being left in safe caring hands. This hospital quite often gets bad reviews, but I have nothing but praise for the treatment my daughter received.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 24 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 25 May 2017

Dear Clare

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I am pleased to note that you and your daughter found all the staff to be lovely. I will be sure to share your comments with the teams involved as I am sure they will be just as delighted to read them as I was.

This will also help other people who may see your comments and feel reassured about having to come into hospital, so a big thank you from all of us. May I take this opportunity to wish your daughter well for the future.

Debbie

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding service from the ENT Department

I was fast tracked by my GP and saw a consultant within two weeks. The very next week I had an MRI scan, pre-op assessment and then day surgery on the Thursday. I had a tonsillectomy. I had to go back in on the following Tuesday due to a bleed. I was kept in overnight and released the next day. I attended the clinic two weeks after my operation and, luckily, I was given the all clear. All the staff from the consultants, nurses, admin etc were extremely caring and helpful. I couldn't have asked for better treatment.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 16 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words.
I am pleased to note that you found all the staff to be extremely caring and helpful and that you have been given the all clear. I will be sure to share your comments with the teams involved as I am sure they will be just as delighted to read them as I was.

J Smith gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cannot praise the ENT staff enough!

I recently underwent a significant op (Combined Approach Tympanoplasty) with some complications which necessitated additional work to be done while 'under'.

My experience in the run up to the op (pre-op assessment, admissions, even the walk to theatre), and post-op (recovery, discharge, packing removal) was great. I cannot fault the experience, nor can I praise the many members of staff that dealt with me enough. I was treated with respect, as a person not a statistic, with my questions answered without feeling hurried along.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Queen Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 May 2017

Dear J Smith
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words. I am pleased to note that you found all the staff both pre and post operatively to be great.
I will be sure to share your comments with the teams involved as I am sure they will be delighted to read them.
This will also help other people who may see your comments to feel reassured about having to come into hospital, so a big thank you from all of us.