Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very dissatisfied with the health care

My son was waiting 8 hrs to be seen in the surgical ward me and my mother who is 82 was not given any drink and I could not leave her to get food or a drink as she has alzheimer's. The hospital was dirty and a patient was walking around with blood on his gown looking for a nurse as they did not respond to his bleeping for assistance. My son had his appendix removed after a long discussion and lack of experience... basically they were not sure what was wrong with him.. after his operation there was no after care he was in so much pain and the nurse only gave him paracetamol.. until i asked for a doctor demanding for a stronger pain killer as the nurse did not even have a clue what his condition was... no communication and very rude staff... trolleys were left in the corridors a health and safety risk ... toilets were dirty and smelly ..my son was treated with no respect or dignity... I now have to help him with bad bad nightmares he has after the experience he had in your hospital.... God help people as there is so much more to say...other people were also treated in the same way... sort out this terrible problem as the NHS has gone down hill..... ;

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Mike reviewed Luton and Dunstable Hospital

Chiltern resturant

Just had food at chiltern restaurant ... £3:29 for one sausage 2 tomatoes (with juice)1 slice of cold cardboard bacon and a spoon of egg that looked and tasted like a bad porridge... DIstgusting.... advise new chef and better ingredients . When you've been here for 3 days straight a bit more quality is due... machines empty and not working ...

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My husbands time in hospital was brilliant

My husband had an accident while at work on Monday and I just want to praise the hospital for the way he has been treated and looked after. A&E first was brilliant very quick with dealing with him, how quick orthopaedic doctor came to assess and explained what they was going to do in great detail, then on ward 23 the staff have been absolutely brilliant, in my eyes they don't get enough credit, they don't stop their whole shift. The staff in theatre both times was brilliant aswell. So a big massive thank you to everyone who treated and cared for him through his stay.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Jackie Burdock gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Keyhole surgery

A huge thank you to Reception staff on arrival,, caring nurses and surgeon who efficiently briefed me on the procedure and respectfully answered all my queries. The short stay after care ward staff were great and so welcoming. Thank you once again , you all were great.πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
Mrs J. A Burdock

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

Christina gave Orthopaedics at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The standard of care I received was superb!

I have had a bunion and hammer toe correction on 1 February 2017. I was under the doctor's team who I found were professional, helpful and caring. I truly am impressed. All the staff in the Surgical Short Stay Unit were so helpful on the day and I could not fault them. Thank you all so much for all you have done.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 20 February 2017

A&E

Was in A&E this week, every member of staff I came into contact with were professional, caring, and helpful. No complaints

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 11 February 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Maggie Turner gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I unfortunately fell and broke my arm two weeks ago. My children took me to the L&D A&E at my request.

The initial triage system was efficient and impressive. I was seen very quickly and was X rayed, had the arm reset and initial plaster in record time. All staff were kind and caring.

I am particularly grateful to the doctor who reset my arm. On attending the orthopaedic clinic for follow up I was told the reset was fantastic.

I wish all hospitals worked to the same format in A&E.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 07 February 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Maureen gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A warm and caring service

I have recently had gall bladder removal surgery at Land D hospital and I must say the treatment I received from assessment right through to discharge was for me the most caring respectful treatment I have had form NHS services, Admission was clear and explanatory, Anaesthetist consultation was fantastic and put me at ease, consultant surgeon was the same and so with all this loving care from complete strangers to myself the fear of the operation melted away secure in the knowledge I was in good hands, Into the operating room I go to feel a lovely relaxed atmosphere with my familiar anaesthetist talking me through all that they were doing, before I knew it I was coming around in the recovery room, a busy hive of activity but still the staff were so attentive on an individual basis, I felt humbled to see how the staff in the recovery room worked as a team with clear communication and co-ordination, a particular thanks you to a particular member of staff who really looked after me very well in the recovery room and through to the recovery day ward, The care continued on the ward as I was monitored to make sure all was well, I want to say thank you so much for taking care of me, the care I received was nothing short of excellence every step of the way, it really put me at ease as its a very vulnerable time for anyone going in for any operation.Thank you so very much.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017

Cross zebra reviewed Luton and Dunstable Hospital

I escorted my 91 year old mother to her ophthalmology appointment. My mother...

I escorted my 91 year old mother to her ophthalmology appointment. My mother has been registered blind due to advanced macula degeneration, she also lives with chronic arthritis. On assisting her with her walking frame across from the car park we entered the hospital entrance pathway and headed for the zebra crossing, which is much needed due to the busy 'drop off zone', however this safety features caused my mother considerable difficulty and put her to a high risk of falling due to there being no drop kerb! I had to lift her walking aid down the kerb while preventing her from falling and then repeat this once we reached the other side. This is very poor for a health service, and I am sure we are not the only ones to have been put at risk by the poor planning of this 'safety aid'.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 19 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Ticked off gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Pharmacy is a nightmare

Please do not mislead patients by telling them they are being discharged and then leave them waiting over three hours for medication from the pharmacy. I am sure that staff are well aware of this problem but do not inform their patients of this even when asked. I enquired after a 45 minute wait (had arranged my lift home) and was informed that they would be brought to me as soon as they were delivered. I thought I heard a staff member laugh as I walked away and with hindsight I now think that they did and that they were fully aware that my wait would be much longer, in fact it was over three hours and only then when I visited the pharmacy myself and asked if it was ready. I was left fuming with rage on behalf of the family member who had sat in and paid for over 4 hours parking. There are major problems with your pharmacy 'service' - the solution would be to issue a prescription that could be filled at any chemist and stop this bed blocking caused by patients waiting for a prescription.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 January 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 25 January 2017

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given. We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.
The main hospital dispensary processes TTA prescriptions in a maximum of 2 hours and many are ready within 1 hour of receipt. Unfortunately there is often a significant gap between the patient being told they will be discharged and the time the prescription is actually written by the doctors and then transported to the dispensary. The hospital is looking at ways to reduce the delay between the patient being told they will be discharged and the TTA prescription being written