Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Laura gave Maternity services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 32, midwifes and doctors

I come in for my induction to have my baby as he was a week late.
My contractions started very early into the induction and unfortunately ended up been a emergence birth, as the cord was around my babies neck, the midwifes and doctors where outstanding, they got me straight down stairs from ward 32 and baby was out within the hour.
I would like to thank everyone involved you are all amazing.
Special thanx to a student midwife, they sat with me when I got scared and was so perfectional.
Also the rest of the team.
You all deserve a medal and a pay rise for what you all did for me and my baby, who is happy and health thanx to all of you.
I will never forget the amazing experience I've had at L&D maternity.
Laura
Who had Jack

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Victoria gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tonsillectomy and aftercare

Was booked in to L&D for a tonsillectomy.
I was seen 4 weeks before the op for my pre op appointment (blood tests etc) the staff on the surgical arrivals were lovely, they were so quick and professional and I was provided with lots of info and direct contact number if I had any issues.
Day of the op I was very nervous and worried as I have not had an op before again the nurses, my surgeon and the anesthetist were very sweet and calmed me right down, the op went well but unfortunately I don't recover well. Once again the level of care I received was second to none. I was taken to a ward and looked after like I was number 1. Nothing was too much of a problem and everyone that looked after me where just lovely.
I was kept up to date with what was happening and the reasons for keeping me in.
The hospital itself was clean and tidy, the staff are the friendliest and most professional I have ever experienced I would definitely recommend using this hospital if you are given the choice!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased your experience has been a positive one and will pass your comments on to department managers and team.

Christina M gave Orthopaedics at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very happy with the care I received.

I had a bunion op 9 August short stay unit. I found all the staff were efficient also professional and caring. I truly am grateful to everyone, the consultant and their team were superb. Thank you all so much!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Anonymous gave Intensive Care at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing nurse in ITU

My family and I have been through a really traumatic time with my mum being very poorly - and the staff in the ITU department in the l&d have been the absolute saving grace of the whole situation. In particular one member of staff. Not sure whether this is a nurse or Doctor but they have been absolutely amazing. Compassionate and kind, but very professional and honest. They looked after my mum in such a way that has really touched me. This fills me with 100% faith that anyone who is admitted into intensive care in the l&d hospital is in absolute safe hands. Thank you so much.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Shelley gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E, Ear throat & nose specialist & nurses on ward 21 a

Was sent to A&E by my gp. Couldn't have been more impressed from start to finish! Waited no more than 10 minutes before being seen!
Every nurse and doctor in A&E that I saw was sympathetic, helpful, and kind! They explained what they was doing and why. Throughout they checked how I was feeling and how bad the pain was. I was given a bed straight away with some privacy.
Within a hour I was taken to a ward 21, I had to wait a few hours for a bed, but was reassured throughout, and given pain relief regularly and I was in a comfy chair, with a tv.nurses came and checked on me while I was waiting.
Saw two throat specialist which were great! Nice and friendly not intimidating, they didn't make me feel silly, they examined me, sympathisesd and gave advise and medication to ease the pain and deal with the problem.
I saw the throat specialists twice on the first day, they said they would be back in the morning to check on me, they came back early morning! So no waiting about not knowing!
The nurses on the ward also were lovely! Helpful, patient and friendly. They did regular checks, and asked how I was! They made sure I wasn't in too much pain!
I was really impressed with every nurse and doctor I saw, they work so hard and do such a great job and deserve all the praise!
Every nurse and doctor remembered your name and remembered why you were there, they made a real effort.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 21 August 2017

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Nursing staff very caring but communication lacking

My elderly mother has been treated with good care overall by the nursing staff in one of the wards for elderly patients. The staff work very hard but are clearly stretched. Patients who need assistance to walk to the toilets wait for long periods of time, after which it is sometimes too late and their dignity is compromised. There just aren't enough staff. Some patients who require a lot of attention because of aggressive outbursts often have multiple staff members in attendance and the quieter patients are just not attended to. Drinks seem to be lacking. On a weekend day the patients were not offered water until 4pm and has not been offered tea or coffee all day either. When asked, they were told they could have a drink after the evening meal. I know times are hard but surely one drink a day is very Dickensian. Somewhat ironic as some of the patients are in there suffering with dehydration and uti etc.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 05 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 18 September 2017

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given.

We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.

Anonymous gave Imaging services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Initial meeting with radiologist

I attended for an x-ray today on my hip
I was waiting in the female waiting room when the radiography came in and called my name by calling me by my middle name then reluctantly used my surname which they could hardly be understood by me.
Another person waiting in this area said to me make sure they have the right person. I asked the member of staff
to confirm I was the right person they didn't understand my address so i had to repeat it. They then asked where I was to be xrayed and asked where I had the most pain.I told the member of staff they then said where it was to be done.I asked did they have notes from muscoskeletal clinic...They did..
I did not feel feel very confident about their professionalism and lacked communication skills...This has not been my experience in the past ..

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 18 September 2017

Suzette N gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class care in A&E on morning of 25/8/2017

I was taken to A&E via ambulance following an accident on the M1.
All the Staff caring for me introduced themselves,told me what they needed to do to help me and treated me with professionalism,kindness and respect.
I was promptly examined and sent for investigations, and the findings discussed with me and my partner.
I felt my pain was dealt with quickly and efficiently, and that I was given first class care especially by the Doctor and Nurse looking me.

Thanks to all involved in my care, you work so hard and do a fantastic job.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 18 September 2017

Stacey connolly gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very disappointing

My husband was admitted on monday evening at roughly 9pm following an epileptic seizure. He needed to see the maxfac team.
His surgery was scheduled for 5pm tuesday, but ended up cancelled and rebooked for wednesday.
I telephoned wednesday at 16:40pm to ask if surgery had happened and if I could visit. I was told he was taken down at 12pm and was now back on the ward recovering and yes I could come visit.
I arrive at the hospital at 19:30 due to living so far away and traffic build up, go onto the ward and ask where I will find him. The nurse leaning on the desk just pointed down the corridor and barked '5A' at me. I go looking for my husband but he is nowhere to be seen. There were at least 6 nurses on the ward that I could see and not one of them knew where my husband was.
I was asked to sit in some room while they found out A nurse came to see me and told be he went back down to surgery at 3pm. I'm panicking amd asking what was so serious that he needed to go back down? Their reply was 'I don't know. I'll find out for you'.
Another nurse came to me and said that he went down at 12pm but it ended up being rescheduled for 3pm. I told them that's fine but how can somebody tell me he was on the ward when he wasn't and nobody know where he was? 'I don't know. I'm sorry' was the answer I got. The fact that he kept being referred to as '5A' or 'the patient' upset me. He has a name!
I then get a phone call at 11:15pm saying my husband was out of surgery and 'ok' but can I bring him some meds. Apparently on your records he is on liquid epilim. He actually takes tablets. With his jaw being completely smashed in he will be unable to swallow tablets anyway.
He has been in your care for almost 3 days, if I'm only getting a call tonight about his medication what has he been given before then? I have always had every faith in every hospital I have visited but tonight I'm so upset that we have been treated this way. I'v never ever had a bad word to say about any hospital and have the most respect for all hospital staff but this is awful! I look to you to take care of my husband but I still have no answers and I'm so sad that it has come to this. I know you all work hard, are under paid and under staffed but I'm so concerned that nobody knew the wereabouts of a high risk patient and it would appear that he has had no access to any anti-convulsants. I'm hoping somebody can clear this matter up for me. I just want answers and information on my husbands care.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 18 September 2017

Steve gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor management of Ward 4

My father, was admitted to Ward 4 yesterday. He should have had blood taken at 1.00pm but this was overlooked and he had this taken at 3pm. We were told the results would be available at around 6pm and we were still waiting at 9pm. He was kept in overnight. I called this morning and was told that a decision as to whether or not he would be discharged would be made by midday. I called around midday and was told a decision would be made at 1pm. At 1pm l was told the Doctor was on a break. The Cardiologist arrived at 2.15 but couldn't find my fathers notes and so left the ward.lt is now 3.15 and l am told the Cardiologist can't be located but will return to the ward at some point today. Also, my fathers drinking water was not changed for more than 20 hours. Needless to say l shall be sending an account of the matter to the CQC.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017