Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Anonymous gave Neurology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Waste of time

I didn't feel that the consultant listened to me. The consultant made a diagnosis and was writing a prescription before I had even explained all of my symptoms!
When I questioned the diagnosis I was told that the consultant had 15 years experience so I will just have to trust them.
I explained the medication I was being prescribed I'd had before and it hadn't helped but that made no difference the consultant still prescribed it.. probably because they had written it right from the start and was my going to change their mind.
I walked out and cried. The Dr made me feel stupid and like I was wasting their time. I waited a long time for the appointment whilst feeling really unwell and it was a total waste of time

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 04 April 2017

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Minor Op

I attended L&D yesterday for minor surgery with GA. Other than a long wait as I was last on the list, I was very impressed with my care.

From the nurse, anethesiest to the consultant and the team, I was kept involved in everything. The recovery room nurses were amazing and I felt completely at ease during the long wait to the discharge ward.

Thanks to everyone who looked after me, you all do a wonderful job.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 07 April 2017

Mother of Daughter gave Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Ehlers Danlos Sufferers note - My Daughter's Care Ward 10

This hospital seems to be totally unable to deal with complex care issues. My Daughter having been admitted two weeks ago is still in an inappropriate infection ward when clearly she has a renal problem with her bladder. She is diagnosed Ehlers Danlon with additional complex medical issues which this hospital takes a reptilian approach on. They refuse to read her medical notes from her specialist team and refuse to acknowledge that their Sherlock Holmes approach to her current medical crisis is not helpful. Read the notes,contact the specialist and most of all admit you do not understand this condition. This is putting her at risk of renal failure and today, having spoke to the ward sister, they inform me they cannot take my concerns on medical issues I will have to come in and speak to one of the Dr's on my daughter's behalf. Read the notes. It's not difficult to pick up the phone and request a consultation with her specialist team, it's not difficult to admit you don't know, it's not difficult to try and understand Ehlers Danlos and the associated complications of the illness, but it is downright ignorant not to read the comprehensive notes she has brought in with her for that very purpose. It is arrogant beyond belief that you refuse to read her email from her specialist EDS consultant just because 'you don't accept other consultants' views'. Really? You refuse to accept the concerns from a specialist Consultant on a condition you clearly have very little knowledge of? How unprofessional! She is exhausted trying to get you to read her notes from them and another doctor both of whom have vast experience dealing with EDS patients. You do not. Accept it with grace and get your patient the appropriate care for her needs.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

My nan was discharged from ward 15 today

My nan was admitted to ward 15 in St Marys Unit on the 30th March 2017 following quite a long health problem spanning over 3 years which her GP has failed to treat despite many appointments to her.

The staff at the ward were very hard to get answers from re nans condition we have had various diagnosis and every time we asked to speak to Doctors they were "too busy". My nan also has Dementia and is extremly hard of hearing so struggles to understand everything, but Doctors kept meeting with her when family were not around.

After 3 weeks of vague answers and the problem not being resolved, despite one doctor saying there was a chance of an operation, when mum visited today the discharge nurse and doctor told mum "they wanted her (nan) out today". My mum was quite shocked at how rude these two supposed "professionals" were. The doctor also said "people get sick but do not hospital admission" meaning my nan didnt need to come to hospital in the first place....if thats the case why keep her for 3 weeks and why does she now need to attend as an outpatient for the condition and possible have an operation if things get worse in the future.

We have been appalled over the past three weeks at the lack of care, compassion and dignity for patients. Nan waited 35 minutes on one occasion to go to the.toilet after calling the buzzer, i ended up going to the nurses station where they were just all standing chatting, still no one came after a further 15 minutes so i ended up finding a senior sister in the store cupboard and asked them to come, which they did.

One patient in the same bay as nan had spilt a whole cup of tea over herself and her bed and no one came to her for over 20 minutes. Shocking. What if there was a real emergency and theses patients had called the buzzers for a serious matter, this system needs reviewing urgently.

We will be putting our concerns forward as a formal complaint and contacting our local MP regarding the care of the elderly in this ward.

Just because the patients in this ward are elderly it does not mean they should recieve low quality of care, they are vulnerable human beings with feelings and needs.

Thankfully nan is home now with her family to care for her and properly monitor her and we know she is.safe.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

KayleighAnn gave Maternity services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity induction

I have had a baby here before and had a good experience . I was induced then. I am now here being induced for my second and I cannot reccomend the l&d enough , the midwifes and nurses are so kind . Always checking up on us , going the extra mile to make us feel safe and secure all knowing we are all about to go through labour . I would never get this level of care at Bedford hospital . The midwifes respect my dignity and my personal choices. I feel comfortable here and they have made me feel like having a baby isn't so bad . I feel I can confide in the staff and they are very reassuring and they make sure they give everyone of there patients 110% care . I haven't even given birth yet ! Fantastic L&d!!! Thankyou so much

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased your experience has been a positive one and will pass your comments on to department managers and team.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

Since November 2016, my husband was under the Cardology Dept. From the very start of his treatment, he was kept up to date with everything from any results he was getting. He was also referred to the Respitory Dept.He was seen very promtely and all the results were giving in great detail, and any questions were always answered.
The end results was for my husband to have a stent . The treatment he received was excellent, all members of staff were fantastic.
All these staff work very hard, long hours and are still very pleasant.
I don't think this hospital or the staff get appreciated enough, they are very dedicated people.
I would recommend this hospital to everyone.
Well done to all who work there.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 12 March 2017

Midwife feedback

I had my baby boy at the l & d and such a wonderful labpur experience. All thanks to the midwife on labour and delivery. They were so reassuring and helpful . They stayed with us the whole time , and was so friendly and caring . And quite funny too . I was so scared of going into labour. And they made me feel very calm and I had a very very calm labour . To the point I would do it all over again . Baby had to go to NICU in the end just as a precaution. They hugged me like a friend would and told me thinks would pick up . All midwifes should be just like them. They were awesome thank you!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ward 34

Had an operation last night, the staff were extremely helpful, I had all I needed and felt very reassured they let my partner stay with me at all times and my mother, I stayed the night and the next morning came home was so happy with the procedure and staff I was looked after very well although ward 34 was great I cannot say too much for A&E but I guess that's because they are rushed off their feet.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 March 2017

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Nightmare 18 March to 21 March 2017.

My wife was admitted 15th March to the Stroke Unit. I visited her on the 16th hoping to hear something on the 17th, and when I visited her with my son on the 18th nothing seemed untoward.
At about 8.30pm on the 18th I received a phone call saying she had tried to get out of bed unsupervised and fallen on her face and was being taken for a scan. There was another phone call about 11pm saying her face was bruised but otherwise she was okay.
I visited early Sunday morning. My wife was flat out and unconscious with serious bruising to her eyes, nose, head, arms, legs and breast. After about half and hour I was told she had had two strokes and there was pressure on the brain. Nothing could realistically be done to help her. I came away and my son and daughter visited about 5pm and were told the same.
My wife dramatically regained consciousness 21st March when my son and daughter were visiting and she made progress until 24th when she was moved to Bedford Hospital.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 26 March 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 03 April 2017

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given.

We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.

JC gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident and Emergency. Broken Humorous

Excellent service from processing to evaluation and aftercare.

If you are unfortunate enough to break something, you are in excellent hands there

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 27 March 2017