Blakelands Hospital

01908 334200 Smeaton Close, Blakelands , Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5HR

Ian Richardson gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Outpatient visit for Endoscopy

II was referred to Blakelands Hospital as my local NHS Hospital (Northampton General) were unable to carry out the required procedure within the timescales stipulated. An appointment was offered on a date and time that suited me but this was then changed at a later date by the hospital as the theatre would be unavilable on that day. Although it was relitively short notice I accepted the new appointment time as I was keen to get the procedure carried out.
My appointment was for 14:40, but I was asked to arrive by 14:10 as there were papers etc to complete before my appointment. I arrived at 13:50 but wasn’t called for my appointment until 14:45, which meant I had to sit around for nearly an hour for seemingly no good reason. This would not be a problem if the reception area was a relaxing place to be but it isn’t, it is noisy, cramped, very hot and certainly not the place you want to be in, waiting for a procedure that you know you are not going to enjoy!
The actual procedure went as well as could be expected given the nature of it, and I was back in the recovery room about 10 minutes later. I opted not to have any sedation as this would have delayed my departure from the hospital by between 45 and 60 minutes, which having already been sitting around for nearly an hour I was not happy to do.
So, in summary, the procedure was fine (although I wouldn’t want to make a habit of having it done!), the staff were all very polite and efficient and the follow up telephone call this morning a nice touch. Overall I would be more than happy to recommend the hospital but be aware that you could spend some time hanging around for no apparent reason, which if you have to make up any time missed from work (I didn’t fortunately) could be itrritating. You may also want to take a pair of headphones with you to blank out the noise in the waiting room, although you will need to make it clear that they will have to come and collect you rather than simply shouting for you from the other side of the room.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 23 March 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to feedback about your experience at Blakelands Hospital. I apologise that there was some waiting around prior to your appointment once you have completed your paperwork but I am pleased to hear your procedure went smoothly and that you would, in future, recommend us as a place to be treated.
Many thanks once again.

Ian Mclean gave Orthopaedics at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The best possible treatment by an exceptional tean

From the first out patient appointment, through my operation and all follow ups the entire team were most professional and filled me with confidence . A really super hospital.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Blakelands Hospital has not yet replied.

Ian McLean gave Orthopaedics at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Five star treatment

From initial consultation through theatre and to recovery, the best possible care I could hope for.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 27 March 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 03 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your treatment from start to finish.

Darren Fuller gave Orthopaedics at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

SAD surgery.

Excellent service from the moment you are admitted to the moment of discharge. Full explanation given of the process and after care. What to expect and how to recover.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 03 April 2017

Thank you for this lovely feedback. I am pleased to hear that you felt well looked after throughout the entirety of your time with us, and felt well informed about the care and recovery after surgery.

Many thanks and we wish you a speedy recovery.

Jackie gave General Surgery at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant surgeon & Nurses

I had an operation in March on my hand, it was the first operation I had in 55 years. So naturally was very nervous. The Nurses and surgeon were brilliant in reassuring me throughout my operation as I decided to have a local . They were very caring during and after my operation.
From the first meeting with my surgeon they were very reassuring and professional, I was not rushed through my consultation.
Two weeks after the operation I had to return for the stitches to be removed by a senior nurse not previously seen. They were running a little late but took the time to let me know, and apologized for the delay when I was seen by them also they were very gentle and friendly. As it is a very busy & professional hospital & individual circumstances are different & unpredictable I personally can understand a delay in appointment time. Maybe it would help if when people go to reception to register that they have arrived they are told there is a slight delay and time approx time of wait as I was.
The only thing that I would like to comment on that could be improved is, when your wife or Husband is waiting anxiously in the waiting room and there is a delay in the operation, that they were told would only take 30 mins..But the patient has gone through & is waiting in the cubicle as I was. Please can someone inform the Husband or Wife as they panic that something has gone wrong.
Apart from that I would recommend the surgeons & nurses and would like to say a very big thank you for their dedication and hard work

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 12 April 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 13 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a summary of your experience of Blakelands Hospital. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the clinical care at the unit and that the staff look after you and made you feel comfortable. Thank you also for your feedback regarding delayed appointments and keeping family members informed. I will certainly pass this feedback onto your team and make sure this is looked at.

Gary Armstrong gave General Surgery at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

my veiw of the said clinic

From my very appointment to my surgery the whole time has been second to none, this clinic is one of the most caring, friendliest places I've every had the pleasure of visiting, I would and already have recommended this place to one other person and I've only just had my op yesterday 09,02,17,
I am now waiting for my physiotherapy to start in 2 week, and I have already had a phone call from the hospital asking how I am and explaining where we go next and all about the follow up appointments.
This place I can only give 5 stars in every department.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a kind review of Blakelands Hospital. The staff all work extremely hard to ensure each patient has a positive experience, and I am pleased to read you certainly did. I wish you a speedy recovery.

As the Marketing Manager here at Blakelands Hospital, I am very interested to hear from patients who want to talk about their experience in more detail. These patient testimonials are then added to our website to help other patients that are thinking of choosing us for their surgery, make a more informed decision. If you would like to give a testimonial, feel free to contact me on 01295 755064.

Many thanks once again,

Simon gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional, Efficient and Caring

2 Days prior to my procedure (Endoscopy) I received a reminder phone call and was advised to come in slightly earlier than the original appointment as there was only one procedure ahead of me. This was good news as I had a later social engagement so was keen to get away ASAP.

On arrival at the hospital I was seen through within just a few minutes, prepped and into theatre quickly and before the hour was up I was back in my car again.

The staff were friendly and efficient with plenty of communication and signposting given throughout.

My doctor was very professional and although they struggled with the nasal insertion (they advised my nasal passages were too narrow and it would be too painful, suggesting that they would need to go through the mouth) he agreed to my request to proceed anyway. Despite the pain this is my preferred option as it avoids the horrible gagging and likely need for sedation so his persistence was greatly appreciated. All in all the care provided by all members of the team was nothing short of fantastic.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 February 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback after your time at Blakelands Hospital. I am pleased to hear, although not a pleasant procedure, it was a positive experience in all. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

Craig Hough gave General Surgery at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Quick knee op

Being the 1st time I have had to have an operation I was naturally nervous, the staff and the overall environment in Blakelands hospital made me feel at ease throughout my brief visit there and I left feeling like I had been well taken care of and ready for recovery, thanks to all involved.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 17 February 2017

Thank you Mr Hough for taking the time to leave us a review of your experience at Blakelands Hospital. I am pleased to hear that our staff put you at ease and that you were happy with the level of care you received.

Ian Reynolds gave Ophthalmology at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cataract Operation

I was referred to the Consultant Surgeon by my GP via Bedfordshire CCG. I saw them initially at their outreach clinic at my GP surgery, Salisbury House in Leighton Buzzard. The Consultant confirmed the diagnosis of cataracts in both eyes by the local Specsavers Opticians.

I subsequently attended Blakelands Hospital for a proper assessments for surgery, performed by the Consultant and their staff. The appointments were made very swiftly and efficiently and a date for surgery was quickly forthcoming. The initial appointment was not suitable due to me going on a previously booked holiday and the Hospital made no fuss but rearranged the appointment for the week after I returned.

My first operation on 06/12/2016 went very smoothly, the kind and friendly staff calming my fears and the Consultant preformed the operation them self, under local anaesthetic. I can honestly say that I was in and out, including pre-operation preparation, the operation itself and recovery/discharge within a couple of hours. My fears were unfounded (of course) and the procedure was less stressful than a tooth filling, without the pain and vibration! I was given clear instructions regarding eye care and a check up was performed exactly one week after the operation.

I have just had my second eye done and everything so far has gone as smoothly as the first.

I cannot praise Blakelands Hospital and its wonderful stall enough. I would recommend the Hospital and especially the consultant surgeon, to anyone who asks. If the NHS was all like this then I am sure that there would be less complaint and a greater efficiency throughout.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 17 February 2017

Thank you Mr Reynolds for leaving such a kind worded review of your experience at Blakelands Hospital. The staff at the unit really appreciate patients taking the time to let us know how they found the service we offered and I am so pleased to hear that you were impressed. All staff work very hard to ensure our patients are happy so I will be sure to share this positive feedback.

Thank you once again for taking the time to do this and I hope recovery after your second operation continues to run smoothly.

Lyndsey witney gave General Surgery at Blakelands Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My visit

Staff very friendly looked after me very well although it was a minor op. Hospital very clean and pleasant to be in .

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 04 February 2017

Blakelands Hospital replied on 07 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that our staff looked after you well during your short time at Blakelands Hospital. We really appreciate patients giving us their feedback, so thank you.