Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Molar extraction under GA. Excellent service

Fabulous care and friendly professional staff in the Planetree Centre Day care unit, where I had a molar extracted under a GA. I was called from the waiting room and shown to my all womens ward, where I was given a bay and bed. I arrived at midday..bit of a wait until I was called to go to theatre at 3pm, but was settled in by very friendly and professional staff. I saw the anaesthetist and the oral surgeon, who both took time too listen to the concerns I had and alleviate my fears. The operation was a success. I came back to the ward feeling comfortable and the staff were quick to sort out pain relief when I required it. the sisiter in partiicuar was very good, making sure my medication was ready for my discharge and even waked me to the car. Cannot fault the service given by the team at Whipps thankyou. NHS at its best

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 24 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 27 April 2016

Wow! Thank you for posting such a lovely review on your experience when you visited the Plane Tree Day Care Unit. We have shared your feedback with all of the team in the Unit as they will love to see them.

dissapointed relative reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

My partner was an inpatient on the Curie Ward. I live in Nottingham and had my..

My partner was an inpatient on the Curie Ward. I live in Nottingham and had my partners consent to speak to staff on the Ward regarding his care. I called them recently and was greeted by a very rude and dismissive Ward sister who made me feel I was interrupting their day. I would be very concerned if this is the face and the voice of staff members and patients on that ward. I would definitely not recommend the Curie Ward to any of my friends and family.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 01 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

We are very sorry to read that when you called the ward to find out about your partners care that the staff member you spoke to was rude. All relatives, friends and patients should be spoken to with dignity and respect. Please accept our apologies that this did not happen when you called.

Your feedback has been shared with the ward manager who will share this with all of the team to make sure this doesn’t happen in future.

Barts Health NHS Trust

A.F.Rogers gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Tonsillitis.

I just wanted to say that the reception nurse and receptionist were very helpful and friendly, and made me feel at ease. I had to wait around 3 hours to be seen, but this was due to there only being one Doctor available. I'd also like to say that this is one of the best Doctors I have seen. The doctor dealt with their massive workload like a superhero, still managed to be friendly, professional and kind even though the doctor was clearly toward the end of an exhausting and demanding shift on their own. The doctor went above and beyond what I was expecting, as I was hardly able to swallow, and was dehydrated, the doctor arranged fluids, antibiotics and steroids to treat my complaint, which appear to be making a difference by now. For the reference of the Hospital, the doctor was fantastic, many thanks to them.
The ear nose and throat specialist the doctor passed me onto was rather unfriendly and brusque, but probably also at the end of a tiring shift. The Nurse who administered the I.V hardly spoke to me at all, but got the job done which is the main point.
I'm grateful for the care received at this hospital, and would especially like to pass on thanks to the doctor, who literally could not have been any better.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience of your visit to our A&E. It is great to read that you found the doctor to be one of the best you have seen and that the receptionist and nurse helped you and made you feel at ease.

We have shared your comments with the team in A&E so that they are all able to see them.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Steve Kirby gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very impressed

I was admitted to hospital via A&E minors on a Sunday evening with an ENT problem. The ENT doctor and senior nurse were both very professional, friendly, informative and treated me with dignity and respect. Nurse walked me personally to handover to be admitted to Sage Ward. Very pleased also with care received on the ward until my discharge the next day.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 April 2016

It is great to hear that you found our staff to be professional, friendly and informative Steve - thank you for taking time to share your experience with us.

Your comments have been shared with the ENT Team and with all of the staff on Sage Ward as they will be happy to see them.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

Carla Yianni gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Broken finger - great customer service!

After horrible experiences at Whipps Cross with some of their arrogant staff I want to say a big thank you to the three people who made this times experience a absolute pleasure!

I came to Whipps cross by myself today, and I wouldn't of stayed so calm and patient if it wasn't for the two receptionists and nurse!

Two receptionists were absolute stars! And definitely deserve some praise! They had exceptional customer services, were polite, helpful and most of all hilarious! They answered all my questions and best of all they were generally lovely and friendly people which is nice when you are in agony and sitting around for 4 hours. Couldn't recommend them more!

My lovely nurse was great aswell, whilst fixing my finger they kept me occupied and calm at all times. This nurse was friendly, helpful and done a good job keeping me calm because when I start crying I just can't stop! Instead they were making me laugh! Even my dad was overly satisfied with their services and he is a very hard person to please, thank you, I couldn't thank you enough!

These 3 people are a brilliant example of the type of people that should be working in our hospitals, I couldn't be more satisfied and definitely think they deserve a pay rise ;) -

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 08 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 April 2016

Hi Carla

Sorry to hear about your finger. We hope you are feeling better.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It is great to hear that you found the receptionists and the nurse who cared for you to be friendly, polite and calm. We have sent your thanks and feedback over to the team so that they are able to see them.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

R.V.I. gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worst services ever

The staff the works at whipps cross have no idea what customer service is. I felt unwell from 7 am and i taught that i will get better and not call 911. At 9 pm i could not stand up and called nhs and booked me in at 00:00. Went there, the receptionist made me wait for 10 mins as they were texting, not even getting their head up. The receptionist finally saw me, and told me that even if i am booked at 12 i will be seen around 4 as there is only one doctor, and there were about 70 people waiting. I went home as i have a 9 months baby, but i got worst and called an ambulance which said i should have been seen urgently. After 1 hr waiting got a call that ambulance was cancelled as they have other emergencies and i should take paracetamol every 4 hr and drink water. They have not even bother to see me, and i am still home getting worse.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 May 2016

We are sorry to read of your experience and hope that you have managed to see someone about this.

All patients that attend the A&E Department at Whipps Cross are triaged when they arrive and are seen in order according to their needs. Some patients’ medical needs are more serious than others which means they may have to be seen sooner. Because of this you may have to wait longer at times depending on the number of patients we have booked in. Our staff continuously work hard to see patients as soon as they can.

Unfortunately we are unable to comment in regards to the concerns you have raised around the ambulance as we do not run this service. You will need to contact London’s Ambulance Service to give them feedback on this. You can do this through their website www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/talking_with_us

Shumi M gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Receptionist is awful

I go to Whipps Cross for most of my medical issues as it is local. On this occasion I called to get some information as the department I called kept going to a answer machine I called the main reception 02085395522, When I asked them what time the department close they said 5:30 I told them I have an appointment a 6pm and if they will see me. They said they are closed and transferred my call to a FAX LINE. I called back to ask the same question I wasn't given an answer to and I was cut off after being put on hold. I know funding is not great but is that an excuse to hire terrible staff who cannot do their job? I don't think it is. I am appalled to find that these people are the first point on contact and that they have a obligation to provide information or put me through to someone who can but do not provide it. This is the NHS, if they do not want to help then they need to be placed elsewhere.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 May 2016

Hi Shumi

We are very sorry to read of the difficulties you experienced whilst trying to contact one of our departments and that the line was cut off the second time you called. Please accept our apologies for this.

Your feedback has been shared with the switchboard team so that they can make improvements to the service where possible. Should you wish to discuss your concerns and so that we can look into this in more detail, please contact PALS on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk to provide them with more detailed information.

Gemma gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic service delivery - Breast clinic outpatients

I attended the 'one stop breast clinic' today.
I was very impressed with the staff and the service delivery by all staff members from the receptionist, HCA's to the nurses, sonographers, and consultants. Having a clinic that offers same day tests and results is hugely reassuring and no mean feat when considering the numbers of women (and men) attending, most of whom are understandably worried or anxious to some degree.
I would like to also add that I observed at least two people being abusive/rude/obnoxious toward staff members, complaining about waiting or similar, which I find exceptionally unfair given the demands on our NHS and the amount of effort that goes into organising and running these clinics. These people however, were dealt with by staff in a patient and professional manner.
Thank you Whipps Cross for a great service and for your great staff, thumbs up from me.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you Gemma for sharing your experience and for the lovely review on our one stop breast clinic. It is great to hear that yourself and other patients feel reassured when attending the clinic.

We have passed your feedback and thanks over to the team in the clinic so that all of the staff members who cared for you are able to see them.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Jack Dupen gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Quite thorough

I had a macular operation on my eye and a cataract done at the same time. I was worried but needn't have been as it was painless and professionally done. It was under local anaesthetic so was aware of everything. The consultant was brilliant and assuring and information was given with plenty of paperwork. The big drawback was the lack of parking and cost. I had a parking fine as I spent 35 mins looking with many others. There is a bus service that goes into the hospital but not for where I live. Can't wait for the other cataract to be done. Thanks to all concerned.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience Jack. We hope that everything is healing well.

We have sent your feedback over to the Ophthalmology Team and have also shared your comments regarding the cost of parking to the parking team.

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Response to telephone calls / trying to make an appointment

There really does need to be a serious look at resources for answering the telephone and making follow up appointments. The waiting times for the appointments centre are sometimes 20 minutes. We are dealing with urology and whilst the staff are individually very helpful and polite, it is truly frustrating to leave countless messages and long delays for follow ups.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

We are really sorry to hear this. We hope that you have managed to speak with someone about your follow up appointment. If you are still experiencing problems you may find additional contact numbers on our website or if you wish to make changes to your appointment you can use our online form here www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/appointments

We have shared your feedback with the appointments booking team.