Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good experience - Visit on 28th April

As far as visits to an A&E can be classified as good, this was a very good visit. All 4 nurses and 1 Dr I met were very thorough, attentive and professional in their work. All areas I visited were very clean. The A&E area could be bigger. i believe the staff and the patients would benefit from an investment to enlarge the main A&E room.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 06 May 2015

Wow. Thank you for the glowing comments about the A&E service at Whipps.

Your feedback has been sent over to the team to share.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

miss management and didrespectful behaviour

I was booked on 30april2015 at 1.30p.m.i was in the clinic by 1.10.afterward was never called.i waited for 45minutes and then asked about my turn.theyctold me that i should wait because they still dont have my file.they dont want to listen but only tell you.i m on steroide i dont know whether to continue or not and have chance of retinal detachment.i walked away from clinic witout seeing doctor because of the rude staff.my left eye is painful as well if something wrong goes with my eyes who is to blame.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 13 May 2015

Please accept our sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced and for not being able to see the consultant. We realise that this must have been very upsetting and frustrating.

We value your feedback and will share your comments with the ophthalmology team to make improvements to the service.

In order for us to re-book your appointment please call 020 7767 3200.

Best wishes

Babs Hull reviewed Cardiology at Whipps Cross University Hospital

A very concerned outpatient!

On 2nd April this year I was admitted to Whipps with severe head pain and vomiting. I had been vomiting at home for a number of hours and unfortunately, I was kept waiting at Whipps for a further four hours before I was seen. In the meantime and while I was waiting to be seen, I developed chest pains. It was not until my sister told staff that I was experiencing these chest pains that I was finally seen. Needless to say, the experience was the worst of my life. I was transferred to the London Chest where further tests were taken and was finally told that I had Myocarditis. I was also told that further tests would be necessary.
Fast forward to now and I am still waiting to be referred to Barts for a CMR scan. I decided to get in touch with Barts myself who advised me that they have not yet received a letter from Whipps asking them to do the CMR scan. I then got in touch with Whipps and eventually spoke to a very kind temporary secretary who was inundated with work. They also advised me that there was a huge backlog of work but I would get a letter as soon as possible.
So now, as a very worried patient with an issue with my heart I feel that I have been left to worry further. I am currently off work and feeling extremely tired due to being placed on at least six different types of medications which I am told are to protect my heart from any further problems. I know that the NHS is in trouble but I do wonder how long I should wait for this letter of referral?
I would also like to add that during my stay at Whipps Cross, the Cardiac ward provided excellent care. However, the food offered was disgraceful and I had to depend on the food brought in by my daughter. I would have thought that to encourage speedy recovery of patients, it is very important to be able to offer them healthy food of a good standard. Im afraid that Whipps Cross does not offer this.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 01 May 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

CM gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Good Care at Whipps Cross

I would like to thank the surgery and gynaecology team who treated me in Whipps Cross for complications that developed a few days following discharge from St Bart's where I had had major pelvic surgery. I was admitted after attending A&E on the night of Friday 6th March and discharged the following Monday.

I would especially like to thank the gynaecology consultant who initially saw me in A&E who was incredibly empathetic, kind and reassuring. The consultants who I saw throughout my treatment were all extremely professional with great communication skills, so I was clear about the reasons for my treatment, how it was progressing and received good advice in response to my questions about the best way to build up my diet following discharge.

I would also like to thank the Poplar ward nurses and health care assistants who provided me with exceptional care throughout the weekend. They worked incredibly hard and were always professional, kind and cheerful. The nurse who settled me into the ward in the early hours of the morning was especially kind and caring.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 06 May 2015

Dear CM

We hope you are making a full recovery following your surgery.

Thank you for taking a few minutes to provide your comments on all of the staff who treated and cared for you whilst you were with us.

We will pass your kind words onto all of the surgery and gynaecology teams, including the consultants, the nurses, health care assistants and all of the staff on Poplar ward.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Waiting Times

My wife had an appointment for 10am 2nd March 2015 For Eye Clinic treatment. We arrived at 9.45 am to be assured of a parking space,as the appointment letter said if you arrive late you may not be seen. My wife had the eye drops put in,and was told to go back to waiting room.That was 11.15 am. After waiting till 1.15 pm,the waiting notice board was had a notice put on it stating there is a delay of 3 hours 15 mins. I enquired with a nurse and was told we were 3rd on the list. We waited another 1 hour 15 mins,before we were called in to see the consultant. We came out of the consultants at 2.45 pm.. That was 4 hour 45 mins waiting for a 10 min Consultation. That is unacceptable,and far to stessfull for older people like ourselves .78Year olds They used to serve hot drinks during your wait, but that has stpped

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 02 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

We are really sorry to hear about the long wait you and your wife experienced during your visit to the eye clinic in March. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Your feedback will be shared with the clinic to ensure improvements are made.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Plane Tree Centre

I just wanted to thank everyone in the Plane tree centre for their care during my visit.
I felt the unit was well run despite waiting a little while to be discharged.
The compassion and care of all the staff I encounter-from the nurses running the unit to the visits from the anaesthetist and the gynaecologist - Every one was very kind and made a difficult day bearable.
I'm really happy with my experience at the hospital and felt I was in good hands the entire time.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 03 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

We’re really pleased to hear you felt you received compassionate care from the teams at Whipps Cross Hospital.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you are doing well.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Victor gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care - fish bone stuck in throat

Big thank you to the consultant and nurse who saw me within 30 mins of arriving. I had a fish bone stuck in my throat. I wasn't choking or anything like that, but it was extremely irritating. I was quickly assessed. When the nurse couldn't remove it, they called an Ear Nose and Throat consultant. The consultant arrived within minutes (I guess I was very lucky). They were extremely calming as I kept on thinking I would be sick, especially when they were putting these long tweezers in my mouth. And eventually removed the annoying bone.

They both treated me extremely well, were very calming (I was quite agitated) and involved me in every step of the way.

I couldn't have asked for better treatment.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 05 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you had a good patient experience and that our staff made you feel at ease.

With best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rowan Ward

I stayed in Rowan Ward for 1 night. They wanted me to stay another night. I would. But the nurses there are just so rude and there is no communication between the doctors and nurses. You have 5 more patient to share the room with, which is not the problem. But when you ask the nurse what will happen to you and where is the doctor, they answer is: I don't know, but doctor should be with you shortly. I don't understand why you have to wait 7 hours to see a doctor, then another 5 hours for your test and later again 7 hours to discuss the options. I had to discharge myself because I felt I had been discriminated (not colour wise, nationality wise). And for abdomenal pain offering paracetamol it's ridiculous. Paracetamol does not even take headache away.

Really really disappointed. Never go back as a patient there.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 16 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

We are sorry and concerned to hear your comments. In the first instance, we would always suggest raising your concerns with the ward manager so matters can be addressed there and then.

You can also visit our website to view the most convenient way for you to provide your feedback.

You can see the options here: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/your-visit/advice-and-support/

Your feedback will be shared with Rowan Ward.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital

NHS staff at Whipps Cross really Need to buck their ideas up

Myself and my friends and family have been in and out of hospital for as long as I remember, and as Whipps Cross is the closest we have to go there. I personally have to go for treatment once a week and I'm disgusted about the service that they give the waiting times are appalling, and the staff seem to not have a clue about what they are doing I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to do my own blood test and connect myself to a drip because of rude staff,in order to get my treatment and get the hell out of there. When you have an appointment in any department and have an appointment time you have to wait hours beyond the time that you were ment to be seen at and they even have the audacity to see people with later appointment times then you first, so that leads to you having to wait even longer,( correct me if I'm wrong but I belive that this is due to age discrimination against people below the age of 25, which I am.) Don't get me started about the A&E department,for starters when my friend gashed his head open fainted and even coughed up blood we had to wait over eight hours to be seen, and when we were finally seen they did not the correct care and rushed, even though he was coughing up blood, they did not run any test, and said and I quote, " He'll be fine ,He'll be fine." We ended having to go to an other hospital, the longest that I and my friend have had to wait to be seen is over 48 hours.so therefore I rest my case.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

We are sorry to hear the issues and concerns you raise. To address these, we would need a discussion with you to get more detail. Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service in the first instance. The team can be contacted on 020 3594 2040 or email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

George gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing hospital

i can't belive how hard working the staff are at this hospital the a&e department was amazing when u think of the stress these staff are under so carm kind the nurse was amazing along side the doctor

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 07 April 2015

Thank you for your kind comments and for recognising the commitment and hard work of our staff.

We're really pleased to hear you had a positive experience.