Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

marion gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Hospital feedback

Took my son aged five to ENT on Monday re an on going problem. Despite being told 15 minute delays waited over one hour everyone went before us spoke to reception indifferent to my plight suggested other people in front of us despite the fact no one else in the waiting area by now just us.
Finally flung my file to an passing audiologist who did a basic test lasting less than five minutes previous one had been at least twenty minutes
Then registrar -presumed they were - was told me the opposite of what the previous doctor said two months before so now on different regime how on earth are we to be confident with this conflict of interests
You never see a consultant at least once would be good and the receptionist had such attitude
This is for five year child come on Whip try being a mystery patient (like a mystery shopper) in your own hospital and see how some of staff react to the patients
Recommend Whips definite no

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 07 July 2016

We are sorry to hear of the poor experience you had in the ENT outpatient department at Whipps Cross whilst here with your son for an appointment.

Unfortunately delays can occur in clinic however it is not acceptable for communication to be poor or non-existent to patients and their family members. They should always be kept fully up to date with any delays or problems that may affect the patient being seen on time. It is also unacceptable for staff to behave in such a way whilst carrying out their duties and does not reflect the Trust's core vision and values. We apologise for the poor experience and will make sure that this is fed back appropriately to the outpatient management at Whipps Cross to ensure staff are reminded about their behaviour and providing accurate information to patients.

Regarding the audiology test, every patient is not the same and it is not always anticipated that tests or procedures will be carried out in the same way or timeframe. We are sorry you do not feel confident with the change in treatment plan for your son and we advise that you contact the department directly if you would like to discuss concerns further as we take patient care very seriously and strive to provide the best service and clinical outcomes for our patients. Unfortunately it is not always possible for patients to see a consultant at some or any of their appointments, but their expertise and knowledge is on hand during clinic and after should their specialist registrar team have any questions regarding treatment plans.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

STAFF AT THE EGU - A REAL CREDIT TO THE NHS!!!!!!!!!

This is the second time I have been referred to the EGU at Whipps in the last 6 months. I cannot possibly praise this department enough. My husband and I are very thankful to all of the staff who treated us both with so much care. I have spent so much time there over the last few weeks and have probably met most of the staff. Thank you all for your support. What a great team - a real credit to the NHS!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 22 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 23 June 2016

We are so pleased to read of your positive experience with us at the EGU, Whipps Cross Hospital. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and thanks. Please be assured your feedback is important to us and will be passed onto the service manager to share among the team.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disappointing service

My husband has Keratoconus. Since last year up until due date this hospital has shown no interest in taking his illness serious. All they ever do is send appointments and then cancel them. His eyes are getting worse day by day. They really need to sort their priorities right and put their patient needs first. Action needs to be taken as soon as possible enough is enough!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 30 June 2016

We are very sorry to read of the cancellations of your husband's eye appointments. We would like to discuss this with you in further detail - please can you provide us with more information so that we can look into this for you. Please contact our PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk so that we can help you.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Simba44 gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

More disgusting treatment of elderly patient

My mother had a follow up appointment to have a new pessary fitted on Wednesday May 25th.This was because she had an appointment to have it fitted three weeks earlier but she was told it could not be fitted be she had an infection because the previous pessary had not been changed for over a year.
They knew she had to have a size 10 fitted.When she was seen after over an hour or so waiting getting more and more stressed she was told that they never had it in stock.
She was fitted with a size 11.After a couple of days discomfort my mother phoned the hospital and spoke to the doctor's secretary on Friday 27th May..
The secretary told my mother to return to the hospital on Wednesday June 1st at 9am and she would be seen to right away as a favour because of the inconvenience caused.
We arrived at the hospital at 8-45 am and checked in at reception only to be told that my mother could not be seen to right away because they could not find her notes and that the secretary had them.
My mother was not seen until 10-45 am. This caused her uneccessary stress and aggravation which she shouldn't have been put through.
No wonder this hospital has such a bad name.
It's about time it got its act together.
It's like a Carry on film but worse.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Dear Simba44
We are very sorry to read about your mothers recent experience and that the care provided by our staff wasn’t as good as it should be. We apologise for the discomfort and stress that this has caused your mother and yourself. We would like to discuss the concerns you have raised here in further detail. Please kindly contact Laurence Maxim on 020 8539 5522 (extension 5173) to discuss the details further.
Barts Health NHS Trust

Ray Yates gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Septo-rhinplasty multi complex nose - 3.5hrs operation - Thx

This was a full Septo-rhinplasty with several complications, I sure this is one of the major operations the ENT dept can do.
The case:- Broken nose deviation, breathing problems, nasal collapse, hence a cartilage implant, and full nose reconstruction. This was a 3.5hr operation. The skill was amazing: No bleeding - minimum bruising - no pain on 3rd day recovery and actually breathing through the nose ! . The male and female ENT surgeon/s - consultant/s , listen and showed genuine concern to my issues, and expected outcomes, gave me confidence and guidance, for such a major operation. I am extremely grateful for their skill, professionalism and understanding. Thanks to all the ward staff and anesthetists who again showed me concern and professionalism as well. I am proud of Whips Cross Hospital as my local NHS provider. Thanks again. Ray x

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 July 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 04 July 2016

Dear Ray, we are so pleased to read of your positive experience of the ENT department at Whipps Cross Hospital. We are pleased to hear that your operation went well and we are happy to read that our staff were there to support you when you most needed them. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and thanks. Please be assured your feedback is important to us and will be passed onto the service manager to share amongst the teams.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Friendly service

Took my Mother to the Audiology dept of Whipps X today for micro suction. The service was extremely good and very friendly. They made her feel at ease considering that she is wuite deaf. I was most impressed with the Head of Audiology. They assisted us with an adjustment to the hearing aid and some new batteries but what was most impressive was their amazing attitude towards patients, smiley, friendly, helpful and very personable. Not what we have become used to in our hospitals these days. A breath of fresh air! If all staff within our hospitals adopted this approach, our visits would be much nicer. Thank you. You are doing a wonderful job. I truly hope your Manager passes on our gratitude.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 16 June 2016

We are so pleased you and your mother had such a positive experience with us at the Audiology department, Whipps Cross Hospital. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and thanks. Please be assured your feedback is important to us and will be passed onto the service manager to share among the team.

Best wishes,
Barts Health NHS Trust

Sharmin gave Surgery - Breast at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and good decision made

Very good breast surgeon. I was pleased they gave me the right treatment at Whipps cross hospital. I had breast infection and was scared I will undergo an operation but the surgeon did a small procedure which was quick via needle and took most of the phase out and did ultra breast screening to see if there was any more phase left. They done the dressing so any remains phase will drain on to the dressing as the surgeon has made a small cut for all the phase to drain if any left.

Care at popular ward was great, nurses looked after me well

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 June 2016

Dear Sharmin

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It is always lovely to hear when patients think highly of our staff and are happy with the care they receive.

We have passed your comments onto the team at Whipps as they will love to hear them.

We hope that you are recovering well following your procedure.

Wishing you all the best

Horrendous

I was referred urgently on 3 June and rang to find out why I've still not received an appointment letter. My GP has proof of referral on the aforementioned date. Whipps has "not received" the referral. The disorganisation of this horrible excuse for a hospital is appalling. We've had such horrible experiences with Whipps, I wish I could go anywhere else!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 23 June 2016

We are very sorry to read of your experience regarding your referral to Whipps Cross. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Anonymous reviewed Respiratory Medicine at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Rude and hostile behaviour by overwhelmed ward staff

No courtesy or respect whatsoever in the way I was handled. I was left feeling very anxious and concerned about my elderly mother's safety and the quality of the care she is receiving at the hands of totally disengaged, disgruntled and demotivated NHS staff.

My 75 year old mother was admitted last week at Whipps Cross Hospital with suspected TB and severe respiratory problems. My mother - being an elderly and absent minded person - accidentally left her mobile phone at home so she is not contactable. I am currently working overseas in Asia. I am therefore extremely anxious about the situation and wondering if the situation is serious enough to fly back urgently. When I called simply to check on my mother and seek some quick advice directly from the hospital staff (family friends are thankfully visiting in my absence and keeping me updated regularly) the sister refused to talk to me, refused to give me their own name, told me I had no right to call or to ask them for information, and they slammed the phone down on me in mid-sentence. I am not sure this is what several years of nursing qualifications encourage ward sisters to do in their relationships with the concerned immediate family of very sick elderly people. Both my mother and I are British citizens. I am baffled at this kind of treatment by an employee of the NHS. It is totally unnecessary and the basic communication skills of NHS staff clearly still needs a lot of work. They are not working in a third world country or a war zone. They are working in the United Kingdom; they are well paid and they don't have any right to treat the rest of us with disrespect just because they work for the NHS.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 20 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 30 June 2016

We are very sorry to read that the staff member was rude to you when you phoned to obtain an update on your mother. We are very sorry that this has left you feeling anxious and concerned. This is not acceptable and we apologise for this.

Your feedback has been shared with the respiratory team. Should you wish to discuss your concerns and so that we can look into this in more detail, please contact PALS on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk to provide them with more detailed information.

Barts Health NHS Trust

stacey gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Been waiting since January

I was referred to orthopaedics in January had to chase them up for appointment. Finally got one in July a wait of 6 months. Get a letter last week that my appointment has been cancelled and I've been put back on waiting list!!! No explanation nothing. I have CO-OP and CO-OP prolapsed discs in my neck causing pain from shoulder all the way down the arm and a numb thumb. Called the appointment centre and was actually advised to go to a&e as they always have an orthopaedic doctor there. Unbelievable. Still no appointment

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 20 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 21 June 2016

We are very sorry to read of your experience around the delay and cancellation of your orthopaedics appointments. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We would like to discuss this with you in further detail – to do this please can you provide us with more detailed information so that we can look into this for you. Please contact our PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk so that we can help you.