Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

Fariba Asalkhou gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology visit

I had an appoinment with a doctor today. I was visited by the doctor and their lovely staff. I was very satiisfied as the doctor was and has always been great, not only in sharing the medical informtion regarding my visit, but also involves me with their decisions, with huge respect. I found them very knowledgeable, capable and polite person who knows excatly what they are doing. They are an asset to the hospital. I was also very happy with their diagnoses and the outcome. The staff were also very friendly and polite. All in all, very satisfied. With them luck to.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 30 July 2015

Dear Fariba

All patient feedback is valuable to us. Thank you for the glowing review on our Gynaecology Service.

It is always great to hear when a patient is happy with their care and that you felt respected and involved with your treatment.

We have passed your comments over to the team as they will be happy to hear them.

Best wishes

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

1 hour on the phone for nothing

I called the Whipps Cross University Hospital regarding an appointment.

I spent 1 hour on the phone and in this time I was unable to speak to someone regarding my appointment and just had to give up.

The options on the main menu will transfer you to random departments that have no relation whatsoever to the option you´ve chosen.

In the one hour I was on the phone, I spoke to 6 different people who either hung up on me, or transferred me to someone else who would in turn do the same. The staff was rude and disrespectful.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 29 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 04 August 2015

We are very sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced in trying to change your appointment and apologise for the inconveniences this may have caused you.

Information on how to change or cancel your appointment, including contact numbers and an online form can be found on our website here: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/your-visit/cancelling-your-appointment/ We hope that this will help.

We value your feedback and have passed it over to the switchboard so that they are able to look into the concerns you have raised here.

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Blood test -very dirty toilets

I attended Blood test Department on 30/07/2015 about 11 am.

The phlebotomists were very efficient and I did not have to wait too long for my turn. It was also good to see that all the notices were laminated.

The only complaint I have is about the cleanliness. The floors were dirty and need scrubbing. I noticed the housekeeper going in one of the toilets for about 5 sec and in the other one, they went in with only one reusable gloves on and sweeper. They spent there less than 1 Min. Before going home I had to use the toilet. I have to say that it was most disgusting toilet I have ever seen. The floor was dirty especially around the toilet (it was thick of dirt); the toilet itself was covered in faeces; the toilet brush and the holder were black; walls around the toilet and underneath the sink were very dirty; also the door and bin were dirty. The signing sheet was sign off as full clean.

Is there anyone checking cleanliness? Are there any housekeeping supervisors and managers visiting the area? Please, can someone check it and get it sorted for all the patients who will attend the Blood Tests in the future?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 30 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 14 August 2015

We are sorry to read that during your visit for your blood test you found the toilets unclean and in an unacceptable state. We are sorry that you had to experience this.

We have passed your comments onto the phlebotomy service and to our cleaning services provider to make sure that these toilets are cleaned and checked on a regular basis in future.

Thank you for raising this with us.

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

trying to submit sample at gp request

I have just rung Whipps Cross to find out whether I could submit a sample today (Sunday).

The, presumably, receptionist said they didn't know and if anyone was in the lab I should come back tomorrow. I have been barely well enough to leave my bed for the past three days, I'm not making wasted trips based on useless information.

Why could I not be told a simple yes or no as to whether I could submit a sample?

Then I asked what time the lab was open on Monday. I was told maybe 9-5. Maybe?

Then I was told that if I turned up and the lab was open I could just leave my sample in the fridge?

It's appalling that the hospital can't provide the most basic of information ie when its services are available!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 02 August 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 04 August 2015

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems and were not able to get the information you requested.

So that we are able to help you please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Catalogue of errors with my care

Have so far had to cope with having my patient number mixed up with someone else's,
my combined test bloods not being drawn at the correct time (so no result until 21.5 weeks), an extremely painful and distressing 20 week scan I cried my way thorough and now (I just found out) a 16 week midwife appointment not being booked. I do need to stress that despite this there have been staff who have been extremely professional, helpful and kind to me but just my luck I only encounter these people when dealing with errors or problems caused by the system or other staff members. Switching hospitals for the birth.

NB, had to rate cleanliness low as the toilet floors were very wet (dangerous for all the pregnant ladies, had to report this at the reception) and the disabled one smells vile despite appearing clean - bins or drains?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 August 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 04 August 2015

Thank you for raising your concerns with us. We are very sorry to hear that there have been difficulties and errors throughout your care.

We would like to look into what has occurred here in more detail. For us to do this we ask that you contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Rachel Muir reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Appointments centre ENT

This is the second time recently I have had excellent, caring service from this team, who have been very helpful in rearranging appointments regarding my daughter's tonsillectomy. Please pass on my thanks to them. Rachel Muir

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 August 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 14 August 2015

Dear Rachel

Thank you for your lovely review of our ENT Service. We have passed your thanks over to the team at Whipps.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

Vi wells gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Gynaecology Appointment

After 2 months of waiting to my gynaecology appointment, it was cancelled as there were no doctor available. The receptionist told me that they will send me a letter to re book it. After another 1 and half month, I attended my re booked appointment today and surprise surprise they cancelled again. There were no courtesy calls or letter, I booked this day annual leave because of this ! What a disappointment. I too, work at the health service but this takes the biscuit!!! Very very bad service. If I give this a score, it would be 0000.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Dear Vi wells

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and apologise that your appointment was cancelled twice.

We would like to look into the reasons behind your appointment being cancelled and make sure that you are that you have another appointment booked. To do this please contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worst hospital in the UK

Everything about this hospital is a awful mess!! And I'm ashamed that the tax payers money goes towards this awful health care! Staff are rude and not trained to deal with customer needs!!

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 July 2015

We are sorry that you found our staff rude in this instance.

All feedback is valuable to us and your comments have been sent over to the Emergency Department to see.

Raeesa reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

For emergency pregancy department

I called as am over 18 week relating to an possible blood clot, the midwife was so rude first they said am not 18 weeks to avoid me then the next day they said they are very busy they are the only one working go to a&e even tho it's a pregnancy related issue which is on going

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 05 July 2015

Dear Raeesa

We are very sorry to read that the midwife was rude to you and that you were not able to seek the advice you were looking for. We apologise for this.

Your feedback has been passed over to the maternity team to see.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dissapointment

For the pass month nothing has happened in progression of my elbow operation, i don't know is it due to lack of staff or lack of work but really disappointing and find not point why we pay so much taxes when the patients don't get the care and treatment that they deserve.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 July 2015

We are sorry that you have found our Orthopaedics Service disappointing.

Please contact our Patient, Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk to provide us with more detail so that we can look into the progression of your elbow operation for you.