Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Response to telephone calls / trying to make an appointment

There really does need to be a serious look at resources for answering the telephone and making follow up appointments. The waiting times for the appointments centre are sometimes 20 minutes. We are dealing with urology and whilst the staff are individually very helpful and polite, it is truly frustrating to leave countless messages and long delays for follow ups.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 14 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

ThaikP gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Please pick up the phone

I was in the department two days ago with my son. We followed the doctor from A&E so didn't check in at the reception in the department. After the treatment the doctor asked to take a follow up appointment. When I went to the receptionist they weren't happy that they couldn't find the details in their system. The receptionist said doctor shouldn't have done it like that which I didn't understand anyway. I left my details at the desk for the management to follow up and they agreed to call me the next day. Nobody contacted me from the department and now I am trying to get in touch with them. Tried to ring them couple of times since this morning and nobody answering the phone. Who should I contact now?

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 09 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

Can't book an appointment -Xray Department-no reply on phone

I have been given the telephone number for the X-ray department at Whipps Cross Hospital to book a hysterosalpingogram, after my appointment with Chingway E4 (gynecology department NHS). Their advice is to ring this X-ray department lots and I may get through eventually and then I may get an appointment within 3 months! After trying to get pregnant for more than 2 years, and having various tests, the next test is this xray of fallopian tubes, uterus and womb, it is a sensitive and stressful time and now I have to wait 3 months for an x-ray - if I can get through to Whipps Cross in the first place

I have been calling the Xray department for 3 days, 30 calls a day and the telephone line calls then just goes through to a full voicemail box. This is unacceptable that I can’t even book an appointment and have to spend all my time between two jobs to sort this out then potentially wait a further 3 months for an appointment.

A very stressful time and I hope through this posted review someone will help. Also this review page is terrible, as soon as I leave the page its deletes my review and I have to start again. I haven’t visited the hospital yet…but I have to fill in this part.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 10 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 01 April 2016

We are very sorry that you have had difficulties getting through to the Xray Department and apologise for this. The team have asked that you contact them on 020 8535 6500 and select option 2 for CT and Fluoro so that they can help you immediately with your appointment. There have been recent changes to their contact numbers so it would be useful to find out which number you were trying so that we are able to make sure that this is updated.

Barts Health NHS Trust

EFH gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E Visit 25 & 26/3

Please can you thank the 3 amazing Doctors, 4 brilliant nurses and the gentle radiologist, all who looked after me when I recently attended A&E.
They kept me calm and informed about what was happening at all times.
A special thank you to the nurse who filled my water bottle - a small gesture which was hugely appreciated.
How they all stay so calm when it is so manic is beyond me, but I for one really appreciate all they did and do.
A huge thank you for your kindness and care.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 01 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 01 April 2016

Thank you for awarding our A&E team with five stars! It is always great to hear when patients are happy with the treatment and care they receive from our staff.

We have shared your lovely comments and your thanks with all of the team as they will love to hear them.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Elizabeth gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thumb Surgery

I was admitted to Plane Tree as a day patient for surgery.
Everyone that I came into contact with there was incredibly kind, caring and patient, putting me at ease.

I met my consultant who explained exactly what was going to happen and then must have thought they were a contestant on Mastermind as they patiently answered all the questions I had in terms that I understood.
I met the consultant again shortly after my surgery when they told me how it had gone and wished me a good recovery.

A special thank you to the nurse who opened my sandwich for me. It’s not until you lose the use of something that you realise how much you take for granted.

I am happy to be coming to the end of my time in plaster, but I am even happier that I have been under the care of some incredibly amazing individuals.
Thank you all for your constant and consistent care and thank you for always being there when I, and many others, need you.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2016

Thank you Elizabeth for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you are coming to the end of your time in plaster and are making a full recovery.

We have sent your review, including your thanks, over to the Orthopaedics Team – they will realty appreciate your comments.

Gemma gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Sonographer

My GP referred my 8 year old daughter for an ultrasound as she has been having bladder difficulties.
The staff were extremely helpful, understanding and professional when she needed to use the bathroom and therefore empty her bladder before the ultrasound appointment.
At no point did they make her feel hurried or that it was inconvenient (which it is!), they were nothing but kind and professional.
Excellent staff, excellent service. Thank you

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 06 April 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 April 2016

Thank you Gemma for the lovely review following your daughters ultrasound. It is great to read that you found our staff to be kind and professional.

We have shared your thanks and feedback with the ultrasound team.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

EGU and Gynae team

I would like to express my thanks to all of the staff in Whipps EGU and to the Gynae team.

Sadly this month I had an ectopic pregnancy. There was an uncertain time before this was diagnosed and the staff in EGU were so kind and explained everything very clearly while we waited for bloods/further scans.

I was devastated when my ectopic pregnancy was diagnosed and the Dr was so comforting. I cannot thank them enough. They got me into surgery very quickly and I am now recovering well.

Every single staff member I encountered from the nurses on Rowan ward to the team in theatres treated me with respect and compassion. I cannot express how grateful I am. It made, what was an awful ordeal, more bearable.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 16 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 29 March 2016

We are very sad to read of your experience. This must have been a very upsetting time for you. It is great to hear that all of the staff including the nurses, doctors and the team in EGU all cared for you with respect and compassion at what is such a difficult time.

We have shared your kind words with both of the teams as they will be grateful to hear them.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worried about being treated there.

My 16 year old daughter was admitted onto sage ward from A&E. The dust under her chair was thick I had put a bag under it and when I put the bag on my lap I was covered in dust. When the cleaner arrived the next day I moved bags from area to allow them to clean, they apologised cleaned up to the furniture and was gone.
We observed an elderly patient opposite being offered a cup of tea at 12pm when she arrived back from having a knee replacement surgery, she finally got a cup at 3pm. She was unable to drink it on her own and spilt it down herself. She was told she'd have to wait tilll after dinner to be cleaned up.
Another patient was left for 30 minutes after asking for painkillers after a hip replacement, you could hear the pain in her voice and she had to be extremely demanding before she got it.
Patients received the bare minimum of care there was no time for the staff to listen to patients wishes, or deal with anything other than the most pressing issues. They were cleaning up after the accidents rather than preventing them with good quality care.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 05 April 2016

Thank you for giving us your feedback on Sage Ward. We really value your comments and have shared these with the ward manager.

We are sorry to read that that you feel worried about being treated at our hospital. If you would like to discuss the concerns you have raised with us in more detail please contact the ward on 020 3416 5000 ext 5940/5941 and ask to speak with the ward manager. We will use your feedback to make improvements to our ward where possible.

Anonymous reviewed Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Unhappy with unconvient service

Hi
I was referred by my gp in this hospital. I got two appointment. 1st time I reached in February. And there I came to know they cancelled my appointment. And I got cancellation appointment letter after 2 days. Second I had appointment in March. Again they cancelled my appointment by inform me. This time I even didn't received any letter. I think NHS send text to some people who are more important for them. We are free, we have not any work which they don't think important to inform us. I had 2 Miscarriages. Just because here NHS is free. That's why we are not important.
And in second appointment which has cancelled, that day one nurse tried to convince me by saying this we are not specialist in this problem. I think my GP is wrong who referred me here. I told that nurse I don't want any next appointment, don't send me any letter. They said its fine. Now I got another letter of my next appointment which I am sure will be cancel before I reach there.
Another thing that nurse said to me if they are not specialist in my problem so why they sent me another letter for appointment. That nurse also tried to convince me so I can go from there and they were saying if you want de can check me. If your doctors are not qualified so why they check me. If they are not specialist.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 24 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 12 April 2016

We are very sorry to read or your experience and the mix up around your appointments. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We would like to discuss this with you further so that we can make sure that you are seen by the right consultant and so that you get any treatment you may need. We will need you to provide us with more detailed information so that we can look into this for you. Please contact our PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk so that we can help you.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Louise gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Thank you for great care.

I was treated in minor injuries today - for a bad cut to my finger. The service was brilliant from start to finish. The person who initially checked me in helped me redress my finger which had bleed through the dressing I had put on and the just minutes later was seen by a fabulous nurse practitioner who stitched my finger beautifully. I was in and out in an hour.
Thank you Whipps for a great service.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 27 March 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 29 March 2016

Thank you for the lovely review Louise. It is always great to hear when a patient is happy with the care and treatment our staff provide.

We have shared your comments and your thanks with the team in the Minor Injuries Unit as they will love to hear them.

Best wishes