Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

Ian Waterman gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Super service for super ventricular tachchycardia

3 epsiodes since April, 3 visits to A&E, what can I say, prompt, polite, informative, speedy, caring helpful, reassuring, cheerful. Many more words of the same ilk I could use to describe the service I have received on all three visits but I think you catch my drift.
Thanks to all involved on all three occasions.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

beds not cleaned properly, food appalling ,some uncaring staff

A relative is an inpatient on one of the wards. I have witnessed the truly uncaring nature of some of the nurses on the ward not just towards my relative but other patients too. Take for instance a fellow patient had had an operation, his wound started to bleed leaving his dressing caked in blood it was also seeping out and running down his body, he was obviously in discomfort and pressed his buzzer. After 5 minutes or more no one came to his assistance, despite the fact there were at least 3 or more nurses?? standing just outside the door talking. My husband went outside to tell them that this patient was bleeding and after a tutt of her teeth one of them came in , looked at the patient and without a word went off again tutting her teeth. She did not hurry and in fact another 5 minutes later she appeared with a dressing, pulled the curtain around the patient without even addressing him!! No smile ,no reassurance , in fact I would say by not talking and with the the I cant be bothered look on her face , I would say she was nothing but arrogant and rude in her actions, Truly appalling.

Regards to my relation' a person' came to check his blood pressure, I say a person because he didn't indroduce himself or explain what he was going to do. He just grunted and took my relations arm , at no time did he speak to my relation, smile or show any emotion at all, other than appearing to be so put out and that everything was too much trouble for him.

I witnessed the so called cleaning of a bed by a member of staff, she took the dirty sheets off following a patients discharge, put them on the bottom of the bed, sprayed the top of the bed with an 'antibacterial' lifted the dirty sheets to clean under them and then dumped the dirty sheets back on the bed!! she did not clean the underside of the matteress, she did not clean the bars or headboard or the sides. She than sat in the chair blowing her nose and coughing and spluttering next to a very sick bedridden man!

The food that is being served up to patients is not fit for human consumption ! Jacket potatoes that have been re-heated so many times the skin is dry and peeling off, omelettes that are served up cold and something in a fish shaped breadcrumb that is dry and hard, all in foil trays. Where are the nutrients in that? What happened to proper dinners , meat vegetables,etc. Have they not heard of 5 a day? My relative has not eaten a thing since being in hospital and is relying on what we, his family can bring in for him. Totally appalling. He and many of the patients on his ward have lost weight. Its disgusting.

I say bring back the Matrons!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

appointments oral new

i hav beem waiting for someone to ring me since Tuesday to change atime forf my 81 year old mother , I have rang all mangers appointments dept ,no one picks up the phone,t/he apt is for Monday,28 july, then on Friday some one who woul not giv e a name rang my mothers dentist to say he could not make the apt because he did not have her nhs no .so what is tis letter I have in my hand with her nhs no on scotch mist? the person who rang the dentist was rude ,but said he would get his manager to ring back ,and guess what he did not. your staff are rude uncareing and ill trained to deal with people,my mother may have mouth cancer and is disabled and deff, I should probley take her to the vets they are much mooe careaing ,and ans the phones.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

Carmen gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Maternity - a good delivery

I recently gave birth at Whipps and had a fairly good experience. The midwives in the Lilac Centre were all caring and compassionate and made me feel as comfortable as possible. Though there was a small emergency at the end of my labour and I had to be moved to a doctor-led unit, the whole team seemed to work together well. I was a bit nervous about using Whipps having read some reviews and the report from the failed CQC inspection but I am glad I stuck to this local choice. The after care was also very well organised and convenient. I would go there again for my next child.

I'd just like to be clear that I'm referring to the delivery team as I had a very different (not very satisfactory) experience with the community midwives and antenatal team. These I feel are not very well run unfortunately.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

Miss PA gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from midwifes

I'd just like to say a great well done and achievement from the midwifes at whipps cross hospital , the bad reviews I have read before going into labour got me thinking I'm scared but I don't know why I was scared because I recieved the excellent care from every staff I was well looked after and reassured all the time , I want to say a big thank you and keep up the good work I would deffo recommend this hospital to anyone ! And I'll deffo be going back again '

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 06 August 2014

Dear Miss PA

Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Thank you for your kind words and for taking time to give us feedback about our maternity service at Whipps Cross.

All of the midwives and maternity staff will be happy to hear your comments and so, they have been passed onto them.

Wishing you all the best for the future.
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Ante-Natal Care Needs looking at

I had chosen to have my antenatal care at Whipps Cross because it was recommended by a friend who'd recently given birth there. As I am just outside the catchment area for community midwives I have all my anrtnatal care at the hospital. My booking appt went smoothly. The MW was excellent and I wish I could have kept her throughout.

First problems arose when the sonographer couldn't get the NT measurements at my 12week scan. I wasn't given any further info on what will happen next other than the MW will do some bloods at 16wks. No info, nothing about what these bloods will be, will my child have Downs? Nothing! I paid privately to have the appropriate scan done.

Next disappointment - at my 16wk ANC appt the whole place was in choas! I arrived 20 mins early for my appt to be told take a tkt (a new system which had been introduced). My tkt said 309, the number on the screen said 87! My appt was in 20 mins time! By chance a MW called out my name and I somehow jumped the queue. Unfortunately she wasn't able to book me in and the 'helpful' receptionist told her to wait till my number was called! So my antenatal appt was conducted with the door open so everyone in the waiting room could listen in. Next the same MW was unable to access the computer to get blood test results and had to phone the lab... who were only able to give her half of the results. When i queried one of the blood tests i was told to have them taken again. Fine ok, except she couldn't work out how to order this blood test. I ended up telling what to do look for and how to order the test! (I work in the NHS). Next she couldn't get the blood label printer to work, so again I had to tell her how to do that. None of this was filling me with any confidence in this MWs ability. I had few queries about the pregnancy so far and mainly wanted reassurance about a few things. Instead I was told to go toy GP. Lastly (the icing on the cake) this MW refused to listen in to the feral heart because I was 15+5wk and not 16wks! Could someone please explain what the differnece of 9hours was going to make on this MW being able to hear the fetal heart. In total she left the room 8 times for various reasons none of which I'm fully sure about.

I can categorically say that none of the 6 Cs were evident during these last two hospital visits. The MW who saw me in the antenatal clinic wasn't aware I actually work in O&G at a different hospital, and therefore realise a lot of her inability to do things was because of her own lack of experience and incompetence. Every step of the way I've had to supplement my antenatal care with private antenatal care because I had very little confidence in my MW or the sonographer. I feel sorry for those who can't afford to go private are left with such a substandard level of care.
We are considering other hospitals but with so many failing maternity units locally we're left stuck between a rock and a hard place!!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A 2 hour wait for a blood test!

I went to get a blood test this morning (15 July 2014), the surgery opens at 8:30am, I arrived at 8:38am - the ticket displayed was 45 and I was 69. It took just over 2 hours for me to be seen!

The service is absolutely disgusting, poor and inexcusable to make people wait so long. God forbid I need to get another blood test because I refuse to return to CHC! There was only one person taking blood, either they need to be trained to work faster or at least 3/4 people need to be taking blood in order to reduce the waiting time, because people have better things to do than sit and waste 2 hours of their lives.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Elle gave Surgery - Breast at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No follow-up appointment and cannot get through on the phone

The consultant I saw was lovely and very supportive, however, I have not received the follow-up appointment promised... and am getting rather concerned!

I have tried calling but am only being held in a queue - for very long periods.

I was referred as an 'urgent' referral but if there is a problem then they are taking their time about seeing me. A very emotional time and I hope that someone will get in touch with an appointment soon.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Breast Service at Whipps Cross Hospital. I am concerned at the points raised and would like to apologise for the inconvenience and distress that you have encountered. It certainly is not the perception nor experience that we would like our patients to endure. I would like to have the opportunity of discussing this experience with you and would invite you to contact me so that I can look into the issues raised and provide a comprehensive response.

If you would like to contact me, my name and contact details are as follows:- Nichola Atkins, General Manager, Cancer Unit, Barts Hospital, telephone 0203 4655 7861 or via Switchboard on 0207 377 7000.

If I am unavailable, please use the above number and ask to be put through to my Assistant, Mr Mahbub Ahmed.

Nichola Atkins

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

fracture clinic

I fractured my foot 3 weeks ago went to A and E. A and E sent me away with crtuches and told me to contact the fracture clinic. I have rang the clinic every day for 3 weeks and cannot get through.

What should I do?

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 15 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent care provided by Acorn Ward and Children's A&E

My son was admitted to Acorn ward at Whipps for the first time in November '13 when he was just 9 weeks old, with respiratory problems. We moved quickly and smoothly through A&E and upon reaching the ward, the nurses were efficient and friendly. The staff were undeniably busy however I must say that we received excellent care and when he had to be transferred to Great Ormond Street, all staff were sympathetic and offered cuddles and tea to my husband and I, as we were fairly distraught.

He has since been back to A&E several times and the A&E staff remembered him and we were greeted warmly and with respect and consideration. He was back in Acorn ward this past June for 4 days and - as in A&E - the staff remembered him and all wanted cuddles and updates on how he'd been since November. During his stay they cared for him tremendously well and the vast majority were warm and friendly but professional. The doctors offered excellent medical care during his stay and I'm pleased to say he has been well since leaving the ward.

Hopefully my son won't need to go back to hospital but if he does, I will have no hesitation in taking him to Whipps Cross, as we have had nothing but good experiences there. It's is also worth mentioning that I gave birth to my 3 yr old daughter and my 11 month old twins at Whipps, and had a good birthing experience both times.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014