Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Simba44 gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

More disgusting treatment of elderly patient

My mother had a follow up appointment to have a new pessary fitted on Wednesday May 25th.This was because she had an appointment to have it fitted three weeks earlier but she was told it could not be fitted be she had an infection because the previous pessary had not been changed for over a year.
They knew she had to have a size 10 fitted.When she was seen after over an hour or so waiting getting more and more stressed she was told that they never had it in stock.
She was fitted with a size 11.After a couple of days discomfort my mother phoned the hospital and spoke to the doctor's secretary on Friday 27th May..
The secretary told my mother to return to the hospital on Wednesday June 1st at 9am and she would be seen to right away as a favour because of the inconvenience caused.
We arrived at the hospital at 8-45 am and checked in at reception only to be told that my mother could not be seen to right away because they could not find her notes and that the secretary had them.
My mother was not seen until 10-45 am. This caused her uneccessary stress and aggravation which she shouldn't have been put through.
No wonder this hospital has such a bad name.
It's about time it got its act together.
It's like a Carry on film but worse.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 01 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Dear Simba44
We are very sorry to read about your mothers recent experience and that the care provided by our staff wasn’t as good as it should be. We apologise for the discomfort and stress that this has caused your mother and yourself. We would like to discuss the concerns you have raised here in further detail. Please kindly contact Laurence Maxim on 020 8539 5522 (extension 5173) to discuss the details further.
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding treatment for a respiratory emergency

I took myself to A&E early on a Monday morning , having got back from holiday the previous evening . I was suffering from a high fever and shortness of breath .

I was admitted to the Acute Assessment Unit within minutes and rapidly seen by a doctor . I was receiving treatment of antibiotics and oxygen very quickly and the illness was diagnosed as Legionnaires disease within a few hours, thanks to rapid analysis by the microbiologists .

I was quickly transferred to the respiratory ward, Nightingale, where close monitoring by the ITU outreach team over the next 30 hours ensured that I was quickly transferred to ITU when my breathing worsened.

After three nights in ITU I went back to Nightingale where I continued to respond well to the antibiotics . I was discharged after 8 days.

The speed of the clinical responses was excellent and I was kept well informed about my condition and the reasons for the clinical decisions. Liaison between the various clinical teams was efficient and quick .

The nursing care on both Nightingale and ITU was excellent - Whipps Cross staff introduced themselves, treated me as an individual, chatted to me when they could and demonstrated professional tenderness in how they cared for me. My only complaint would be that some agency nurses staff at night were very offhand and seemed very unsure about basic nursing tasks .

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 21 June 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It is always lovely to hear when patients think highly of our staff and are happy with the care they receive. We are sorry to hear that some of the staff were offhand – we apologise for this and will ensure your feedback is passed on.

We have passed your comments onto the teams over at Nightingale and ITU at Whipps as they will love to hear them.

Best wishes
Barts Health NHS Trust

james drain gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Superb consultant

Hi,i had an operation on c6/7 in whipps cross hospital on Tuesday the 31st may. I had the good fortune to be operated on by a superb consultant and team,The first thing I will say is that,had it not been for this consultant I would not have had this opp done,due to some of the complications involved, this is the 2nd opp ive had under this consultant and that is testimony in how high I regard them and their team have done a great job on my spine again,with another 2 opps to go thru in the future on my lower spine,i hope its under this consultant and team.i have been under quite a few consultants ,Stanmore/wittington/and holly house, but this is the best by a country mile, I am 9 days post opp,i could not have sat here and typed thes review before the opp with the pain I was inn. so my hat of to you for getting my life back one piece at a time,2 down I hope the next one goes as well,and im sure it will. all the best for the future to you and your team. james drain

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 09 June 2016

Dear James,

We have passed your comments onto the team at Whipps as they will love to hear them.

We hope that you continue to recover well following your operation.

Wishing you all the best,
Barts Health NHS Trust

victoria gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Child with Temperature

I visited the A & E department with my child in the early hours of Monday morning. It was busy and I knew I was in for a long wait. The staff were pleasant especially the triage nurse and the doctor I spoke to. It was the first time I have been to the A & E and not felt rushed in and out of the room when speaking to the doctor. The doctor actually listened to everything I said, and was caring and considerate. We need more doctors and nurses like this. Thank you for looking after my little one.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 14 June 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience of your visit to A&E. It is great to read that all the staff involved in looking after your child were caring and supportive.

We have shared your kind comments with the team in A&E so that they are all able to see them.

Wishing you all the best
Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude reeptionists

Worst customer service ever. They barely gave us any eye contact during registration. I came back to reception desk while waiting for doctor and asked them about the nearest police station (as I needed to report the incident). They seemed annoyed as I was interrupting them from gossiping, they answered "I have no idea" and started chatting again. Please note there was no queue and they were both in front of a computer. "Let me check this for you" or "I'm sorry I can't help" don't seem unreasonable answers for FOH staff.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 30 May 2016

Martin Worwood, Patient Experience Measurement, Barts Health NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2016

We are very sorry to read of your recent experiences at Whipps Cross Hospital.
We would like to look into the concerns you have raised here and would ask that you please contact us with some more detailed information so that we are able to do this. You can contact us by calling our PALS team direct on 020 3594 2040 or pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk.

Patient Opinion Logo

Disappointing

I went to the A&E this morning. I had a cyst on my arm which ruptured and started leaking pus and bleeding. At the time I was in Edinburgh and went to the A&E there. They said that I had to wait for it to stop leaking.
This morning instead of the pus I found a fairly deep hole. I went to Whipps Cross and told the receptionist that I had an open wound on my arm that was probably infected and bleeding. They gave me a white card and I waited to be seen.

When at last I saw one of the other receptionists they told me that I should have gone to my GP. They called my GP and the staff there said that they would not be able to see me before 3 o'clock.

I was sent away with an open wound on my arm, without being seen by anybody and I didn't even have a patch on me to cover it up.

I will see my GP in two hours, and I have been walking around with a bleeding hole on my harm since this morning.

I understand the A&E is always busy and cannot see everybody, but I feel I shouldn't have been sent away.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 10 May 2016

We are sorry to read that you feel disappointed following your visit to our Emergency Department. Our staff work hard to make sure patients get the right care, at the right time and as soon as possible. If the department was busy at that time, it may have been quicker for you to be treated at you GP surgery. Unless it is an emergency or life threatening, we would recommend calling 111 who will be able to advise on the best service to visit.

Your feedback has been shared with the team in the Emergency Department so that they are able to see your concerns. We hope that you were able to get the treatment you needed.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Kieran gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Please answer the phone

I have spent a day trying to find out whether I need an operation on my shoulder or not. I was promised as I left A&E that someone would phone me the next day. They didn't so I tried to call that afternoon and again all the next day.
No one answers and even staff on the main switchboard admitted the phones in the fracture clinic never get answered.

Perhaps the manager or PALS should try and call the number themselves then they would see the problem. I'm lucky in that I can travel (all be it 1.5 hours of a bus journey).and pay them a visit. I imagine many people are less mobile and are stuck trying to call.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 16 May 2016

Dear Kieran

We are very sorry to read that you have not been able to contact the fracture clinic by phone. Please accept our apologies for this. We experience a high number of patients through the clinic which means our staff may be away from the phone seeing them.

Your feedback has been shared with the fracture clinic. If you have any questions about appointments, our central appointments team may be able to help you. They can be contact on 020 8535 6768.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Treatment of elderly patient by gynaecology department

My mother was treated by the gynaecology department last year for a prolapse.She is in her late eighties. She was given an appointment last July for a checkup.This was cancelled by hospital and put off until October.In October recieved a letter putting appointment off until December.In December recieved letter putting it off until March.When she got to the hospital for her March appointment she was told that it had been cancelled and a letter was sent out notifying her. This letter was not received.New appointment was made for May.We got to the hospital at 9-20 for the appointment which was at 10-15..At 10-55 we were still waiting to be seen. When we asked at reception what was happening we were spoken to in an abrupt manner by the receptionist.
We were told that the consultant sorts out the patient records in order of importance.What are appointment times meant for? To cause elderly patients added stress as they wait to be seen to.
My mother asked to be seen by a female doctor originally.She was told a male was going to see her.This added to her stress.Thankfully one nurse on duty had a bit of decency an arranged for a female doctor to see her.
When the pessary was removed a new one could not be fitted because my mother had an infection due to the pessary being in to long because of all these appointments being cancelled.
Is this how Whipps Cross hospital deals with its patients?No wonder it has such a bad reputation and the NHS is in the mess it's in.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 16 May 2016

Dear Simba44

We are really sorry to read about your mothers experience and that you feel the care provided by our staff wasn’t as good as it should be. This must have been a stressful time for your mother and yourself.

There are a number of concerns you have raised here that we would like to discuss with you in more detail. To do this we need you to contact us with more detailed information. Please contact Laurence Maxim on 020 8539 5522 (extension 5173).

Barts Health NHS Trust

Karen gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

5 hour plus wait in A&E

I attended Whipps Cross A&E on Monday night with a severely broken toe (the toe was bent and pointing in the wrong direction) I was put in the lowest priority by the receptionist. Waited approximately 1.5 - 2 hours to see triage nurse, who
arranged an X-ray then waited approximately 3 hours to see a doctor. In total I was waited around 5 hours.
Receptionist initially told me the wait was 2 hours. When I enquired about waiting times the receptionist just said they were busy. They didn't move to make any further enquires, so no information was fed back to patents. Patients were despondent and angry so the mood was not good. Children and adults were sick in the waiting room, there was vomit on the floors and chairs. Receptionist who were not busy but did little to help and failed to get the area cleaned as a priority. In fact, the domestic came and cleaned about 1.5 hours later. Patients just sat elsewhere. This is a huge infection risk and demonstrates that Whipps Cross are not interested in infection control.
When I eventually saw the doctor I complained about the wait and the state of the department. They informed me they have nothing to do with it. I advised that they should feed this back to their consultant who could perhaps take the issue to the trust board, teh doctor basically said that they won't be doing that and all A&E's are the same. The doctor looked at my X-ray, put some tape on my toe, gave me a form for follow up and I left. The consultation took about 15 minutes. There was only 1 doctor and 1 nurse in minors that evening.
The patient experience attitude of staff was very poor. Staff seemed to think that this sort of service was acceptable.

Whipps Cross does not have a very good reputation and I can now see why. Staff attitude must change drastically in order to improve the patient experience, quality of care and to bring standards in line with other well performing hospitals in London. From my experience on Monday night the the CQC rating of inadequate is accurate.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 11 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

One Dad gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Strange priority

I took my 2.5 weeks daughter to A&E since she was vomiting and had diarrhea. We went there around 12:00. The staff at reception was unconcerned and seemed grumpy cause being disturbed by me and my daughter who was slightly but visibly dehydrated by this time. After 2 hours waiting I went to reception again and asked what is going on. I was told the A&E is really busy (there were at least 4 nurses hanging around, one of them was sitting on the desk speaking to a colleague) and they deal with the patients in order of importance. It looks a 2 weeks new born vomiting and being dehydrated is not important enough to be looked under 2 hours but it’s a hospital they know what they do I thought. It was 5 o`clock when a nurse had a look on my baby and they told the doc is going to be here soon. At 9 the doctor arrived. This doctor told the little one is dehydrated (what a surprise) and she will get a drip right after they take her to the children`s ward which happened just before midnight.
The attitude of the staff at the ward was very mixed some of them gave me good experience but unfortunately most of them seemed very unconcerned. When I asked them for something they said yes but forgot it as soon as they stepped out of the door. My love got the drip and some antibiotics until next afternoon and they did a blood test which did not show anything. I have been told to keep and show them the nappies but no one care about them when I tried to get someone to have a look.
At the 3rd day my baby`s diarrhea seemed stop so we have been discharged. Without diagnosis and treatment (apart from the antibiotics). I also have been told I probably overfeed my daughter and that is why she is vomiting. Brilliant conclusion that even makes her dehydrated.
Anyway now it is 3 days later and she is having a diarrhea again. It looks I need to take her to hosp again but definitely not there.

P.S.: I understand that the NHS is struggling and the employees are overwhelmed. I don’t want to offend anyone, but I feel I was a very patient and polite patient and they respond with rude manner.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 14 May 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 28 June 2016

We are very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the care that your daughter was provided during your visit to our Emergency Department. Our teams work hard to provide safe and effective care to all patients that come to us. We are sorry this didn’t happen in this instance. Thank you for raising it with us.

Your feedback is important to us and has been shared with the team in the Emergency Department so that they are able to see your concerns.