Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

After 111 referred us

I first called 111 who, after a series of questions said my niece needed to go to Urgent Care at Whipps Cross within 2 hours.

When we arrived, my niece was worse. They asked all the right questions and she was treated really well. We were there from 10.30 till 3.00pm and every staff member was great. Even though they concluded that my niece had a severe headache, they did every test they could - without a GP referral - and made sure that every aspect of her health was checked.

Thank you to all the staff we interacted with yesterday, you were fabulous.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 24 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 30 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about yours and your nieces visit to our A&E.

Your feedback is very important to us and have shared your lovely comments with the team.

Best wishes

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Blood Test waiting time is too long

Currently waiting in the blood test area. I received a ticket which is 50 something away from the number being called on the screen. While talking to other patients, I was told it can easily take hours to reach my number as they have been waiting for nearly 2 hours here!
Problem is lack of staff performing the blood test, inefficient, small waiting area that patients have to stand outside the waiting room and then running around to check the screen! This is quite normal seeing this scenario in this hospital, but surprisingly there is no improvement in place all these months!
Funny enough, the staff who responsible for conducting survey saw the crowd, walked pass this blood test area, didn't go in to ask for any feedback. Are we avoiding negative feedback here?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Fariba Asalkhou gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology visit

I had an appoinment with a doctor today. I was visited by the doctor and their lovely staff. I was very satiisfied as the doctor was and has always been great, not only in sharing the medical informtion regarding my visit, but also involves me with their decisions, with huge respect. I found them very knowledgeable, capable and polite person who knows excatly what they are doing. They are an asset to the hospital. I was also very happy with their diagnoses and the outcome. The staff were also very friendly and polite. All in all, very satisfied. With them luck to.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 30 July 2015

Dear Fariba

All patient feedback is valuable to us. Thank you for the glowing review on our Gynaecology Service.

It is always great to hear when a patient is happy with their care and that you felt respected and involved with your treatment.

We have passed your comments over to the team as they will be happy to hear them.

Best wishes

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

1 hour on the phone for nothing

I called the Whipps Cross University Hospital regarding an appointment.

I spent 1 hour on the phone and in this time I was unable to speak to someone regarding my appointment and just had to give up.

The options on the main menu will transfer you to random departments that have no relation whatsoever to the option you´ve chosen.

In the one hour I was on the phone, I spoke to 6 different people who either hung up on me, or transferred me to someone else who would in turn do the same. The staff was rude and disrespectful.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 29 July 2015

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Blood test -very dirty toilets

I attended Blood test Department on 30/07/2015 about 11 am.

The phlebotomists were very efficient and I did not have to wait too long for my turn. It was also good to see that all the notices were laminated.

The only complaint I have is about the cleanliness. The floors were dirty and need scrubbing. I noticed the housekeeper going in one of the toilets for about 5 sec and in the other one, they went in with only one reusable gloves on and sweeper. They spent there less than 1 Min. Before going home I had to use the toilet. I have to say that it was most disgusting toilet I have ever seen. The floor was dirty especially around the toilet (it was thick of dirt); the toilet itself was covered in faeces; the toilet brush and the holder were black; walls around the toilet and underneath the sink were very dirty; also the door and bin were dirty. The signing sheet was sign off as full clean.

Is there anyone checking cleanliness? Are there any housekeeping supervisors and managers visiting the area? Please, can someone check it and get it sorted for all the patients who will attend the Blood Tests in the future?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 30 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Answer the phone!

I've been trying to call the Oral Surgery department for 2 days with no answer. Last time I was at the hospital, the receptionist would not let me book an appointment at the desk and said one would be send out by post without any consideration at to choosing a date I was available. Now I have an appointment that I can't attend my only option it to take a morning off work to go in person to change my surgery date. How can you run an efficient department when your patients have no way of contacting you?? Judging my the past reviews this is an ongoing problem that has not been solved.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 22 July 2015

We are sorry that you had difficulties trying to book and also, trying to change your appointment. Your feedback has been sent over to the Oral and Maxillofacial Team so that they can look into the possible reasons behind this.

Information on changing your appointment, along with an online form, can be found on our website here http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/your-visit/cancelling-your-appointment/

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent from start to finish

My wife just had a baby at whipps cross, and we were obviously concerned going in as you tend to hear negative stories etc, but not only was the care and attention as good as I would expect for my family, but all staff, mid wife's, doctors were brilliant. My wife felt relaxed and attended to when needed. We cannot thank the hospital and staff enough throughout our 3 days here, we also got a private room for free and the food was nice.
I come away very happy and would definitely recommend to anyone, as we have very high standards and almost went private... glad we choose Whipps !

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 22 July 2015

Congratulations on the birth of our baby.

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review and for sharing your wife’s and your experience with us. Your kind comments have been shared amongst the team as they will love to hear them.

We hope that you are all settling in well.

Wishing you all the best

Thank you to Ambulatory Care and Ultrasound

My mother in law, who suffers with dementia was referred to the ambulatory care centre for an ultrasound scan. I was concerned that she would find the experience distressing despite our support.

I can only say that everyone we encountered was absolutely lovely. They all took the time and communicated with her as well as ourselves. She was put at ease by their kindness, and we really did appreciate not having to hang around forever to be seen and attended to which would have added to her confusion and stress.

Thank you to to all the team in Ambulatory care, especially the lovely doctor whose name I have forgotten!

Thank you too to the technician and team in ultrasound, a busy and noisy area which could have been distressing for mum in law. They expedited her care and treated her with dignity and respect.

Bartshealth are very lucky to have such an amazing team working on the front line in a busy hospital who take the time to treat patients as individuals, and make them feel that they matter.

I would also like to add that the areas were spotlessly clean.

Thank you very much BH from an initially stressed and then reassured family.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

It is always good to hear when a patient has received great care by our staff. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

We will pass this onto the team at Whipps Cross as they will love to hear them.

Wishing you all the best

Pathetic!

I have been trying to call the oral surgery department for 4 days now!
The direct number doesn't work.
After being put on hold for 12 minutes by switch board, I finally get put through to the incorrect department. Then i waited on the phone for another 6 minutes to be put through to the correct department!
Finally I am put through to the correct department to have my call answered by a voice that sounded like they had just woken up and had a mouth fall of lunch!
I get the chance to say all OF 3 words before they cut me off in mid sentence and transferred me to the completely wrong department.
I tried to call back and switch board put me through the correct department ( i think ) but after waiting for the phone to me answer for another 7 minutes i gave up!
Absolutely shocking!
To say the least i'm not looking forward to have 3 wisdom teeth taken out
Very unhappy!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 17 June 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

We are sorry to hear of your difficulties in trying to get through to oral surgery department.

Your feedback has been passed onto the team at Whipps Cross and to the switchboard to make sure that it does not happen again. If you would like to provide us with more detail about your experience so that we can look into this incident further please contact our Patient, advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Generally, and specifically Orthopaedics

Generally I have been quite happy with Whipps, although you do have to be on the ball, for example I had a gynae op and was told I didn't have any packing ..... 3 days later it emerged when I was at home. Not pleasant and rather a shock! Also having visited A&E recently the senior nurse advised I take anti inflammatories ..... if they'd read my notes properly they would have seen I'm a transplant patient and we can't take anti inflammatories! I would have thought this was basic knowledge when giving out pain medication?!

Orthopaedics - I'm desperately trying to get through to this department but the phones are never answered, I'm due an appointment in July 2015 and am trying to get something sooner, actually urgently, as I'm in sudden excruciating knee pain (I have been under Whipps for this for two years) but I cannot get through. I was told when at my last appointment they don't answer the phones because they're too busy. Not good enough .... and the clinics run up to 2.5 hours behind.

I feel sorry for the staff, I value my NHS, they've saved my life but the sheer volume of people just cannot be dealt with thoroughly.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 18 June 2015

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 08 July 2015

We are very sorry to hear of your experience following your operation.

We would like to discuss with you the issues you have raised here and to enable us to do so please contact our Patient, advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk to provide us with more detailed information about your visit.