Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Ellen gave Urgent care centre at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Left in limbo - follow up/after care is atrocious

Everything, from the Urgent care centre to the Operation was brilliant.
However, after the Operation it went downhill.
The ward was meant to book an appointment to get my cast/stitches removed. Although this did happen, the clinic never 'accepted' the appointment. I have had my stitches in for 9 days and the consultant wants me to get them out asap.
We never received any discharge papers so have no idea who to speak to. We are left to our own devices.
I have spoken to reception, the ward, the Orthopaedic clinic, appointment centre and the ward manager. No one is willing to help us or get back to us.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication

The reception rarely answer the phone. When they answer and promise a doctor will call back, they never do despite explaining to them the urgency of your medical situation. It seems that they really do not care. Very disappointed and would hope not to be referred in the future.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

happy-Steph gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

prompt and friendly care for anterior uveitis

Walked into the eye clinic casualty service at 9am on Friday and was out less than two hours later. I suffer for recurring anterior uveitis, so I am familiar with the symptoms; over the years, the walk-in eye clinic at Whipps has never let me down in the level of care they provide, even though there can be a bit of a wait depending on the time you arrive.

I'd brought my knitting in case I took a while, but I was processed very quickly, had a preliminary eye test within 30 minutes of arriving, administered with a smile.
I had hardly sat back down in the waiting area that I was called to be triaged, and seen by the consultant straight after that.
By 9.45 I had been diagnosed, and was waiting for the dilating drops to take effect. The consultant called me back 30 minutes later (instead of the 20 they had told me) and apologises for the extra wait; they then asked for my permission to allow some trainees to look at my eye too (which i didn't mind).
The consultant then printed out the prescription and discussed treatment, as well as telling me I should come back before my follow up appointment if I was at all worried about anything.
All in all this was on a par with the service and attitude we have somehow only come to expect from private health; I was very glad to see it alive and thriving in the NHS.

Booking my follow up appointment was equally straightforward, I was offered a date and time that suited me, and I witnessed how skilfully the receptionist handled a tricky situation just before me, with a woman who had had her appointment cancelled and was understandably unhappy about it. The receptionist was friendly but professional and extremely solutions-focused, explaining the surgeon had to go to theatre for an emergency and so all their appointments were cancelled that morning, apologising for inconvenience and saying they tried to get hold of her unsuccessfully; they then offered her a new appointment for the following morning, and even arranged for her parking fees to be reimbursed. Sterling customer service throughout.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 12 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

We're glad that you had a pleasant experience at the hospital and thanks for sending in your feedback.

All the best,
Barts Health NHS Trust

NP gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Miscarriage

I been sat in a&e bleeding all down myself clearly experiencing pain an discomfort.
Im
Suffering a miss carriage and ppl with colds are going in before me...
Just goes to show the type of place this is.
Colds are priority here over miscarriage pain and bleeding all over yourself! Absolute disgrace!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

We are very sorry to read of your experience during your time in A&E, and of the concerns you have raised here.

We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what has happened. To do this we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit. Please contact the PALS Team by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

Mary mc Gloin gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulatory Care Visit

I was referred urgently by my GP on 2.3.2017 with a suspected Pulmonary Embolism.

Arrived at the unit and was booked in efficiently.
There was a wait to be seen which is completely understandable as it is a busy unit.
The nurse explained what they were going to do and was caring and professional in carrying out observations and taking blood.
Due to a technical failure in the laboratory, there was a delay with blood test results which the Doctors on duty explained to patients.
I was sent for a chest x-ray which was done within minutes with the result sent electronically to the unit.
I was then seen by the duty doctor who although the unit was due to close at 6 pm assured me they would wait until my blood test results came through. They examined me after taking a detailed history of my symptoms and past history.
Following the results, I was discharged home with appropriate medication with an open appointment to return if any concerns.
I cannot rate the service high enough. It was seamless and the standard of care was second to none.
I would like to thank the staff and especially the nurse and doctor who cared for me with what I would rate as a first class , gold standard of care.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

It's great to receive feedback like this so thanks for taking the time to send it to us.

All the best,
Barts Health NHS Trust

Zek gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Removing humanity from health (most of the time)

Went to A&E with my wife who was crying in pain on a Sunday at about 1pm, she really did not want to go to A&E at first but this pain was not touched by her usual very potent medication for arthritic pain. There isn't a clearly marked drop off for the disabled so she had to hobble in.
Most of the staff we encountered showed little or no compassion or humanity.
The receptionist was disinterested and ignored the triage nurse's request for a porter to assist my disabled wife. It appeared the nurse was frightened of the receptionist as after a couple of ignored attempts they gave up and my so wife hobbled down the long corridor.
Here outside an intermediate p[art of "majors" many staff went past avoiding any eye contact for some time. eventually a nurse emerged and seeing how distressed my wife was went back in, shortly after she was seen. An incredibly brusque doctor who seemed to rely on their nurse eventually sent her into the main part of majors. To set the tone when my wife thanked the consultant for seeing her, they just scowled and told her to go. Ostensibly we were sent to Majors partly because my wife was crying in pain and also that the triage nurse had noted very high blood pressure, (systolic 220) and she would be monitored. After a while she was given a morphine injection but still no monitoring regarding BP, heart rate or 02. Eventually a monitor and drip were set up. When my wife needed to go to the (dirty no paper to wipe or dry throughout most of 5 hours in "majors") toilet no one was willing to remove her drip until the senior nurse had intervened twice. We were lucky that the nurse did otherwise it is likely she would have soiled herself after a few more minutes. The drip was not reconnected, despite mentioning it when various assistants came into the cubicle, until much later, with a "this should have been put back" comment. Owing to the almost complete lack of history taking my wife was sent for a CT scan (impressively done on a Sunday to our and possibly the registrars surprise) which was of limited diagnostic value. No one asked if she had a hip prosthesis (she has 2) which affected the image. She was sent home without any medication for the high blood pressure.
The registrar was an oasis of humanity being smiling, empathetic, and giving the impression that they actually cared, as well as explaining what was happening and making sure that my wife understood. some of the nurses and assistants showed some signs of humanity and caring but some, particularly the receptionist and doctor in the intermediate room did not. It may sound corny but it is true that the team at our local vet show more concern for our family cat than some of the staff at A&E last Sunday. My wife was not alone and I am fairly articulate and her immediate problem was dealt with, but I am very frightened about how things would be for a lone, older, confused or passive person.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 18 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

We are very sorry to read of your experience during your wife's time in A&E, and of the concerns you have raised here.

We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what has happened. To do this we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit. Please contact the PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

harvey11 reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

My mum who is nearly 80 years old had a knee replacement operation three weeks..

My mum who is nearly 80 years old had a knee replacement operation three weeks ago and had suffered an infection. She had been given antibiotics which she finished 4 days ago. She was very worried that the infection had not cleared up because she felt unwell and her knee was quite red. She waited about an hour in A&E and was then seen by a very polite, kind and caring nurse. They told her they were going to take a blood sample and get an Orthopaedic doctor to see her. She explained she has small veins and it has always been difficult to give blood. They thanked her for telling them and took about ten minutes finding a suitable vein, they then managed first time to put a cannula in. The Orthopaedic doctor came to see her just over an hour later with the results of the blood tests, they clearly explained the results to her and fortunately there was no infection. She was then taken very swiftly to have an x-ray, the results of which were also good news, everything was ok. My mum had been so worried, she was apologising for wasting their time but they said she did the right thing going to see them and to come back if she was worried. Before we left she was given an appointment to see a consultant in the next 5 days. The service was excellent, it could not have been any better. The nurse and doctor were fantastic.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Barts Health NHS Trust replied on 22 March 2017

Thank you for your very kind message. We will pass on your feedback to our team. Best wishes,

harvey11 reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

My mum who is nearly 80 years old had a knee replacement operation three weeks ago and had suffered an infection. She had been given antibiotics which she finished 4 days ago. She was very worried that the infection had not cleared up because she felt unwell and her knee was quite red. She waited about an hour in A&E and was then seen by a very polite, kind and caring nurse. The nurse told her they were going to take a blood sample and get an Orthopaedic doctor to see her. She explained she has small veins and it has always been difficult to give blood. They thanked her for telling them and took about ten minutes finding a suitable vein, they then managed first time to put a cannula in. The Orthopaedic doctor came to see her just over an hour later with the results of the blood tests, they clearly explained the results to her and fortunately there was no infection. She was then taken very swiftly to have an x-ray, the results of which were also good news, everything was ok. My mum had been so worried, she was apologising for wasting their time but they said she did the right thing going to see them and to come back if she was worried. Before we left she was given an appointment to see a consultant in the next 5 days. The service was excellent, it could not have been any better. The nurse and doctor were fantastic.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 March 2017 using Patient Opinion

Barts Health NHS Trust replied on 22 March 2017

Patient Opinion Logo

Diana gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Unprofessional

Arrived to a&e, it took half hour to be seen at reception, another 2 hours before a gp saw me. They didn't introduce themself, told me to undress and not to pull curtain to do that because "it's just us in here". They sat on the bed next to me and i was naked from waist down, kept asking where the pain was, I kept showing them, barely touching me. When they got bored, that was their general mood, they called another gp, and again the second gp didn't introduce themself either. They kept touching the surrounding area asking where the pain is, was staring in my eyes and never looked or examined where I was pointing. This doctor storms out of the room and I ask the first doctor what happened. The doctor says they can't both feel anything so I have to go to my gp. I had papers from another hospital, the problem was real and still is there.
I reach back to reception and complain my consultation went wrong. An ENP agrees to see me, wonderful person, who calls my surgery and asks them to book appointment and to do what they have to do to help as I'm lots of pain. So hats off to this person and back to school for those 2 "gp's"! Btw, even you can sit down without pain like I can't, those iron orange seats are a real pain.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 April 2017

Thanks for taking the time to send in your feedback. We appreciate how distressing it can be when you aren't clear what will happen during an examination so if you would like us to investigate this further, please contact the PALS Team by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk.

Best wishes,
Barts Health NHS Trust

Oguz gundogan gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

I ben twice in February

First time for my daughter she had high temperatures. in four days doctors prescribed 3 different antibiotics final time when we went to hospital nurse didn't want to take her in but I said she has got temperature she been using antibiotics but not getting better.than I call 111 and explain the situation person on the phone try to talk to them, they refused talk they were rude I couldn't believe it because my doughter 4 years old .when told them I will not leave without seeing the doctor than they take the temperature an it was high than send to children gp when doctor seen the my doughter find that the antibiotic she was taken not the right one gave another one .I seen the doctor for trought infection doctor gave me antibiotics looks likes not strong one after two days instead of getting better I am worse.newer go again

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 25 February 2017