Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Oral surgery waiting times and appointments

I have been waiting 6 months for my first appointment with consultant in severe pain.
During my first appointment a little room there was bsfly overcrowded and claustrophobic. Patients hardly could find a seat. I have been first in queue but somehow I had been seen last by appointmented consultant (actually, an assistant or a junior doctor?)
I waited 1 hour after xray in that room and all people who came at 9am and donr same X rays with me - they gone home 1 hour ago while I was waiting.
All other people coming there 30-70 minutes after me to see other consultants gone home happy.
My partner had to suffer with me there.
After that junior doctor has spent 10 minutes on me in a rash yo get rid of me.
Nursing staff was unhelpful for my complaints and shown no interest and could not answer my questions why I have been there waiting 1 hour longer than everyone else..
Why it says that waiting time for appointment is 40 days and why I have waited 6 months?
After my appointment I was told that I need MRI scan and they will organise it. I have waited for 3 months for this urgent scan and another 1 month after that for 2nd appointment. With no offer of treatment and in pain. My current strong painkillers do not help.
After that I was told by a doctor and promised an urgent surgery and it will be done less than 1 month. After pre assesment and another waiting for 3 weeks I found out from staff that my operation is not considered urgent and I am not on there emergency list which is opposite to what the doctors told me. Nurses and administrative staff tell me now that their bookings is full gor next 6 weeks (this is 2 months) and I am not on it. They didn't even know that I had pain!
Administration staff makes their own mind who is urgent and who is not and my doctor now on holiday for a few months. They also told me that they do not have any resources to give me urgent surgery anf doctors should not promise me anything !
My dentist advised me to go to A&E but they will not fo anything because I am on a few years "urgent" list for this surgery. Recently I was not able to go to my dentist for other treatment or to do some other oral tests because it gives me acute pain.
Really upset and disappointed.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017

Jenna gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Just awful. Terribly organised hospital with rude staff.

We were advised to go to a&e by the 111 service, and told my partner needs to be seen asap. When we got there we were left waiting for hours with no reassurance. When questioned about wait time the reception staff were rude and unkind. It seemed that those who complained were getting seen quicker while the rest of us where left to wait. I understand staff are stretched but it just seemed as though they were unwilling to give any information, if it's going to be a four hour wait then I would rather they were just honest from the start. After 2.5 hours we were finally told there were still 6 people in front of us and only one doctor so the wait could be several more hours. One receptionist seemed to find this funny whilst another member of staff was bordering on aggressive.
In regard to the building itself; the toilets smelt so strongly of urine that they were unbearable, no cups for the water, scattered dirty cups over the water.
We just gave up, my advice would be to travel elsewhere if you can. This is an embarrassment to the NHS.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write us a comment. We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what has happened. To do this we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit. Please contact the PALS Team on 0207 363 9292 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great Staff, great care!

Don't be put off by negative reviews, everyone has own individual experience. My experience was not great in the beginning but ended up being fantastic! I was admitted to Mulberry ward for induction of labour at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes. I was booked in for 9.30am. My midwife was kind and friendly, however very busy with emergencies. I was shown to a side room where my observations were checked. I thought Propess would be administered that morning but ended up waiting 10 hours. I did not receive any lunch that day as orders were placed before I arrived. My partner and I had to go to the hospital restaurant for food. On my return, I was connected to the CTG monitor. Then pretty much left in the room waiting. My partner approached the desk asking when induction of labour will begin, he was told that it could not commence as labour ward was currently busy with no beds but induction would hopefully be started later that day. Around 5ish my partner became furious and wanted to leave & go to another hospital. I'm glad we didn't. At 8pm Propess was finally administered. Waters broke and contractions began 24 hours later. I was then transferred to labour ward that evening and it was all go! Pain relief was discussed almost immediately & an epidural was given quickly (considering it was a night shift and there was only one anaesthetist on shift). I was commenced on the hormone drip, intravenous fluids and insulin sliding scale. The midwives on labour ward were caring, compassionate and very experienced. I was involved in making decisions about my labour and birth of my son. I chose to have a c-section as labour was not progressing as expected. Post c-section I was transferred back to Mulberry Ward, this time placed in a bay instead of a side room (which was not too noisey). I was cared for by midwives, students and health care assistants who were all brilliant. I was offered plenty of support with breastfeeding and personal care; staff ensured my privacy and dignity was maintained. I would definitely recommend Whipps Cross maternity unit to friends and family. If you do go for induction, expect a long wait and maybe bring your own lunch. Overall, I had a great experience and am grateful that my son was delivered safely.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Anonymous reviewed Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital

PlaneTree Ward

I had an appointment at Plane Tree ward for a routine procedure. Shortly after I arrived I started to feel unwell. I proceeded to suffer a really bad migraine. The nurses, anaesthetist and Dr were really supportive even though they had to cancel the procedure, and made me comfortable with intravenous pain killer and anti sickness until my migraine was manageable. They dimmed the lights and let me rest in the bay until my partner was able to come and pick me up.
I was really embarrassed to be so ill on a busy ward, taking up their time when my illness was unrelated to the procedure I was booked to have. All in all, they were attentive, supportive and really thoughtful. I really appreciate the care I was given.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a comment. We are delighted that you are happy with your experience at Whipps Cross.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Renata gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worse service ever

Yesterday I had very bad pain in my left side of belly ( I'm 43 years old and 31 week of pregnancy), my daughter in law call ambulance as pain come sadenly , was very sharp . They drop my to whipps cross maternity hospital. After waiting 1 hour they cheek up baby's heart and tell me that I should wait till doctor will see me. But sadenly no body pay atencion for lady's who is waiting for help, including me. I saw many times how personal walking slowly , joking taking them time, but no body care about women's who is waiting for some help. Till my husband start arguing whit personal answer start to asking them that some one should look after my, then one person come and as usual try to apologise that they are very busy. After couple min doctor call my and take to to do cheek up , they cheek my belly and left me whit words I will be back after 20- 30 min . They don't say anything how is ten baby or why I had this such pain. I just asked them can you tell me please or baby is OK, they said yes he is happy. After this I tell them if baby is fine better if I go home and suffer such pain in the house then waiting here were no body cares. But they just left and don't come back even after 1 hour. I as about my maternity note book and went home whit pain. I had very bed experience there and I'm afraid to go back to this hospital to give the birth born my baby , because what I saw yesterday you can give the birth even on the floor in waiting corridor and nobody cares....

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 05 August 2017

Barts Health NHS Trust

Mrs.Parker gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Wholly positive but negative I cant forget

Our 2.5year old daughter just returned from the Acorn Day Unit for a tonsils and adenoids removal procedure. The service we recieved was briliant except from 1 issue which hangs a dark cloud over our experience. Firstly the Acorn Day Unit Nursers and HCA were just infalliable and so genuinely caring. They did their best to reassure our little girl who given her age was not always so compliant. The ENT team themselves were fab for the brief 5 minutes in total you see them for. The Anaesthetic Team were so brilliant esp 1 Dr who spent a few seconds blowing balloons just to calm an anxious child. However....when our child woke up in recovery she ofcourse through a major outburst given us parents took a few mins from.the ward to get to the recovery room. It is quite a walk. Had we been advised to wait outside the theatre/recovery area we would've. Anyways we found our child screaming crying in the arms of a very calm Dr who had stepped outside the immediate recovery room. Once they handed our daughter to us the recovery room staff told us to take her back into the recovery room which our daughter went hysterical with. We went back in and they said she needed to be given pain meds. However our child was hysterical I admit and was trying to remove the canula needle from her hand which they eventually did. Because our child was crying and screaming and not co operating a nurse or Dr in that room forcefully took her out of our arms and was restraining her to administer the med. Their mannerism was very rough and impatient and non caring whatsoever. They even threatend our child that we her parents would leave if she didnt stop crying. My child was resisting further and all the other 4/5 staff members just watched this scene unfold some baffled at this person's behaviour. My child in the resisting pulled out the canula needle whilst in that persons grip squirting blood all over the floor and the member of staff. We could not believe our eyes how this situation with a very unsettled toddler was out of control and no body seemed to have any type of management of such a situation. This person was so forceful in the way they handled my daughter which made her more restless. Like they didnt know what to do.
I totally understand they need to have a swift turnover in the recovery room however this is human beings not some production line. A little patience and compassion to a child who cannot express or fully comprehend what they are going through goes a long way.

WX hospital is a very delapitated and in need of much modernisation of a hospital which lacks in a welcoming and reassuring feeling. However the hundreds of staff who work tirelessly to give their best to the patients does not go unnoticed. However you dont easily forget the negative parts of your experience. Would I feel confident to leave my child in the care of that staff member in the recovery room? No and esp when they appeared to be in the line of having more responsibility than others.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your comments. We're pleased that the majority of your daughter's experience was a positive one but are concerned to hear that this has been overshadowed by what followed her procedure. We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what has happened. To do this we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit. Please contact the PALS Team on 0207 363 9292 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Bal gave Dermatology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

NHS at its best!

I have visited the Dermatology Dept twice now under Dr's care.
The whole team from receptionist who reassured me on the phone prior to my second visit to the Registrar and Nurse who carried out the biopsy , I knew I was in great hands.
The whole team under Dr runs seamlessly and I was kept fully informed and involved the whole way through the procedure.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hospital - especially as my family have had the same experiences in the past.
The staff really do the NHS proud!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Great news. Thanks so much for taking the time send in your comments.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I visited the emergency eye clinic Monday 8th August 17

I was greeted with a very pleasant person at the reception desk and was given a form to complete & number . Then taken for eye test by a lovely friendly nurse and then had medical check by another lovely nurse and then received treatment by the doctor and given a prescription. The whole visit took approx 2 hours . Absolutely brilliant service .

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 11 August 2017

Brilliant. Thanks for sending in your feedback, the team will be delighted to hear it.

Anonymous reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

Service very slow

Came in for my mom x-rays and it is clearly mentioned that outpatient is priority but that dosent mean they completely avoid gp patient. Waited for more than a hour and after us roughly 10 people came in as a outpatient and they kept calling them but they forgot that there are other people, elderly people who came from 40 mins and waiting to get served but they just giving priority to outpateint which is completely disappointed they needs to change their service as they should be serving one outpatient and one gp patient. Very disappointing.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

maternity

Ok I was with my wife admitted at the hospital it's been over 32 hours, we got told that after 32 hours we will b sent down to labour word but we didn't till the next day ! The night team on the second floor of maternity word r absolutely horrible one particular staff member last night we had to wait over two hours for paracetamols like wth this one mid-wife made aware visit to the hospital a nightmare today is the 11/08/17 time 1:25AM we shud be giving birth right now but we're playing the waiting game because of this one staff member don't get me wrong the morning team are amazing but this has just made it all mess up we r not happy and do not remember anyone to come to this hospital what so ever !!!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017