Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

london mum gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Fracture Clinic

Very badly managed department. The staff seemed completely over stretched and drowning in paper work which was lying on every spare surface. The physical surroundings are not suitable at all. There was not enough places for people to sit which is kind of important in an orthopedic clinic.

We waited an hour, even though our appointment was in the morning and were then told after an hour of waiting that we had to go to X-ray. The X-ray department was mayhem, no room to sit, queues out the door and many people had been waiting for 3+ hours.
There was no system by which children and the infirm could be seen more quickly.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 26 September 2014

R Singh gave Cardiology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Non starter

After being referred by my GP I booked an appointment through the online system. I then received an additional (pre?) appointment in cardiology. As I was unable to make the date given I called to let them know. Over three hours I called nearly 60 times - mostly getting an engaged tone when I finally did speak to someone she immediately said "please hold" and I was left on a blank line for 10-15 minutes ( this happened a few times).

I finally had a conversation with an administrator/receptionist who said she would pass the message on and I would receive an alternative appointment. I have now received a letter saying I missed my appointment without letting the hospital know and will be discharged back to my GP!

So the outcome, after months of waiting and suffering with very distressing palpitations, is that I now have to start all over again.

This level of incompetence from staff at Whipps Cross/the appointments system is outrageous, and I can't even get through to anyone to make a complaint!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 01 October 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Briony gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Incompetent

Absolutely no patient care or consideration. It is impossible to get the fracture clinic on the phone and the switchboard cannot be bothered to help you reach someone that might be able to assist. Having had my appointment cancelled with no explanation I have given up trying to contact the clinic and will be going to a different hospital.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

JM gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The Plane Tree Centre

I attended the Plane Tree Centre on Tuesday to have my gall bladder removed, I found all of the staff, including the lady on the reception, very caring, attentive and above all professional.

I was nervous at the thought of having a general anaesthetic but they calmed me down and took the time to explain everything to me. They looked after me really well both pre & post op.

The aftercare information they gave me was clear and concise.

The only gripe I would have is the conditions that the staff and patients have to put up with. The heat in this centre is overwhelming and does not make for a good working or recovering environment.

That said I would recommend this hospital for general surgery.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

the plane tree centre

Found some of the nurses more interested in having their own conversations rather than attending to the patients. Some nurses quite friendly, caring and kind but majority were very uncaring, cold and uninterested. Quite shocked as have not been in hospital for many years and had an image that nurses were kind, considerate and caring. Found the doctors and theatre staff more caring and informative than the nurses. Waiting for discharge was over a hour and when I asked I "how long" was made to be feel as if I was a trouble maker. By choice I would not have another operation here because of the uncaring nature. When you are unwell and nervous of having an operation the last thing you need is someone like that.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 15 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

lesley pikesley gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

gp unit on a Saturday evening

I had to visit the above on 9 Aug because I had bad ear pain. 111 made an appt for me. A very pleasant nurse booked me in and I was seen by an amazing gp on time. I am so sorry I can't name her. She told me I had an e at infection in the left ear. She then arranged for me to see an ent consultant there and then. This lady was also wonderful . She hoovered out the infection from the left e at then hoovered out the right ear which has been non functioning for months.because of impacted wax.
She gave me very useful advice and some drops. I was hom3 in under 2 hours; and I can hear again.
I can't begin to say how grateful I am ,once again,that WX is my local hospital.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 16 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dire serive at A&E

My partner had the misfortune to have to attend A&E due to a rugby injury. There are very few positives we could find about the hospital, other than the majority of areas were very clean.

The negatives:

- Department has moved- signage needs huge improvement. Directions were covered by an ambulance that was parked there both when we arrived and departed (4 hrs difference)

-Upon arrival when taking his details the receptionist answered a personal mobile phone!

- No toilet paper or even a dispenser (it had been removed from the wall) in the toilet. Also, despite it only being 18.30hrs the cleaning sheet had been signed off until 21.20hrs

- No privacy in triage at all. The room had 2 doors- one was closed (leading to the main waiting room) but the other was open into a large room, so we could hear everyone and they could hear us, and there were people being discharged there etc

- After being seen by a triage nurse we were sent to x-ray. After 45 minutes told that there was no request for an x-ray in the system and sent back to A&E. Upon arrival we were then called again by someone- (unsure if this was a Doctor or Nurse as we were not advised of this) who knew nothing about us having been sent to x-ray, and when the member of staff felt the finger said they were "certain there was no fracture, they wouldn't have even x-rayed yet would still x-ray for peace of mind" We did get fast tracked when we got back, but it transpired that despite this assurance, there actually was a fracture.

- The Doctor/Nurse used very technical terms which for a layman were impossible to understand. As a Scientist and someone who had done extensive research into what might be the issue my partner understood this (including the point when the member of staff wrongly named one of the joints) but I certainly didn't, and felt that it didn't "cater to the masses" the member of staff also cited the wrong hand!

- Neither nurse had ever strapped up a thumb in this particular way. Whilst they did it and it was checked by the member of staff we saw originally he was still able to move it, so it was not secure.

- Told that fracture clinic will "call within a week to book an appointment but often they don't, so if they don't call you call them"

Overall an awful experience. So much so that my partner will be requesting a different hospital for Fracture Clinic!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Conifer Ward

My father admitted to Whipps a few days ago A&E and Acute Wards were fab to him and the cleaniness and attention was excellent. However was moved to Confier Ward. Although staff friendly the ward is disgusting it smells of urine as you enter and looks unclean to the point that he did not want to shower or use the toilets and I personally did not want to touch anything. Lack of gels on entering and leaving the ward. The only one that was there that I spotted was the one that had accompanied my father and was attached to his bed. Other patients appear to have serious problems and I am concerned for his safety and risk of infection.

I have experienced many visits to whipps and find that generally all other wards are of a good standard .... am very cocnerned that this ward is open in its current condition. Again the staff were pleasant.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A and E

I went into A and E at Whipps on Thursday afternoon, having sliced my little finger with a knife in the kitchen.

Very good care. Was in and out, bandaged up and with good advice for aftercare, within an hour.

Well done, and thanks to all involved.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback and for sharing the experience you have had at the A&E at Whipps Cross Hospital.

It is good to hear that you are happy with the care you received. Your comments will be passed on to the team.

Many thanks,
Barts Health NHS Trust

Jacqueline thompson gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Orthopaedics sort your system out

I have had some bad experiences with this department and today was no exception. Total disorganisation lost notes etc. I finally got sent to the X-ray department but the orthopaedics had sent for the X-ray on the wrong foot just to add to the catalogue of disasters. Then a light at the end of a bad experience a radiologist, despite the fact she got no answer when she rang the department, she did not give up, and eventually she got the right X-ray form in between all this she kept me informed and kept apologising that I was kept hanging about. She really was a very nice person, very efficient and certainly a credit to the hospital. So I say thank you to her for going the "extra mile", you restored some of my faith in the medical profession

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

Dear Ms Thompson, we are sorry to hear of your poor experience which appears to have been exacerbated by an error made by an individual doctor on your X-ray request. We are glad to hear that the staff member in radiology was able to sort this out for you and for your kind words regarding how helpful she was, your comments will be passed back to the department manager.
You indicate that you have had previous bad experience with the Orthopaedic department and we would invite you to contact our PALS team on 020 3594 2040 to discuss these further which will allow us to fully investigate your concerns.
Barts Health NHS Trust