Check here for alerts

Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Admin a joke!!

I am 22 weeks pregnant and my scans have been so bad - told confusing things or nothing explained at all. We were so anxious as we couldn't even use the tel numbers given to us to call some one. One number doesn't work and the other no one answers and there's no vpicemail. We paid to have a private scan and consultation just to make sure the baby was OK. As first time parents this is a stressful time and even the GPS I work with were appalled by our treatment. In addition I was told I had a suspected infection and 12 weeks later and much pushing from us and lab results list I finally got put on some medication. Problem is my go doesn't think they will work as they could only prescribe 1 thing because of how many weeks pregnant I am and as I am allergic to penicillin. 12 weeks ago I could have had this infection sorted and not have been in pain all these weeks scared it was hurting my baby. Again it was the private scan nurse who was even able to tell me what infection I had and give me some tips and reassure me that my baby wasn't being hurt because of it. My colleagues who are GPS are appalled and have urged me to formally complain which I will be doing

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 06 November 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Dianne Howard gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Out-patient treatment

I was referred to the consultant for what was a possible diagnosis of wet age related macular degeneration. I was able to expedite my appointment, though it was difficult getting through on the phone. That said, the staff were courteous at all times, moving around the very busy department was quick and efficient and treatment after diagnosis was within a week. I cannot speak highly e enough of the courtesy and care which I received. I felt I was in expert hands and would happily recommend anyone with eye problems.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 19 November 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback following your recent appointment at Whipps Cross. We have passed your kind message on to the ophthalmology service manager who will share your feedback with all the team and will follow up on the points that you have raised.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Well done whipps

Arrived at hospital at 8:50 pm with suspected broken foot. Was booked in,assessed, xrayed and treated by 10:30 pm. Staff polite and friendly apart from the first member of staff i saw who gave me my ticket and obviously didnt want to be there. Thought i was going to be waiting hours but well done whipps!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 24 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 03 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback following your recent visit to our A&E at Whipps Cross. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the team so they can review all your points raised.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very long waiting hours.

I have had appointments for the past 3 years and every single appointment I have waited a minimum of 1.5 hours. Once I was made to wait 3.5 hours. Considering that they always have these huge delays means they carrying on over booking or can not work efficiently. If you work or have a life you need to put your whole day on hold for your single appointment. There has also been a couple of incidents where I have been booked for an appointment for no reason where I have completely wasted my time. Recently I had been discharged because I supposedly failed to come to an appointment which I cancelled two weeks in advance via email. The proof of cancellation was then forwarded to the department and no appologies were made. The department is completely disorganised. They have multiple nurses who do not actually do much other than to persistently call out the names of patients who are clearly not there for hours on end. Horrible experience here.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Stuffed by whipps gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Plane Tree Centre Hospital incompetent SOS

This hospital is still a disgrace. if I could go to another hospital, I would. Went to Plane Tree centre. Was assured on phone that I must be there at 0700. Big error. Had to wait in an area with very, very low furniture with just one seat suitable for disabled people. 35 minutes after arrival we are all taken into wards for yet another hour wait and this is for nurse assessment only. Could have saved my self an hour and a half. Plus the indignity of see through underwear they insist you wear. Then told morning sugar level too high and injection may make higher so they cancel procedure. Also they have no plan in place to deal with a situation like this despite it being a common occurrence. What's the point of rebooking? It took eight months from scan to consultants appointment and another month from that to the injection that was without guarantees.. This hospital cannot cope with the patients already on its books - it should stop taking on new patients until it can deal with them. Patients are not central to the activities of Whipps Cross. And if you make a complaint you can expect to find the whole hospital establishment against you.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 21 November 2016

We are very sorry to hear of the experience you had at the Plane Tree Centre recently. This must have been very upsetting and we apologise for this. We would like look into your treatment in further detail - please can you kindly contact our PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or via email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worst "help" ever!

Waiting in the queue for three hours to see a health assistant who asked me the same questions the third time. Don't know the name of the health assistant but they were rude and unpleasant. Refused to read a paper that the ambulance gave to me and said that they did not want to bother to read their handwriting. When I was replying to their questions they seemed annoyed and kept asking the same questions. And after they said to wait to see a doctor. When I asked for how long (cause they said it will happen shortly) they said that they didn't know how long this "shortly" will take. When I started to complain they replied with a phrase that explained everything: NHS is here for you. I just needed a prescription for the antibiotics cause I got a very bad reaction on the current ones. And I needed to leave without any sort of help because it was already 2 o'clock in the morning (and after those 3 hours I didn't want to stay any second more)! Extremely bad experience, if you can go to another hospital - do it! The ambulance was a lot more helpful! Literally a lot!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 24 November 2016

We are sorry that your experience hasn't met the standards we expect. This is not acceptable and we apologise for any additional upset this may have caused. We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what happened. To do this; we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit.
Please contact the PALS Team on 020 3594 2040 or by email: pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk
Barts Health NHS Trust

Vlid gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great doctor

I was just seen in the early hours of the morning by a great doctor whowas fantastic. Thank you for caring for me.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 12 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 13 October 2016

Thank you for sending us feedback following your recent treatment in A&E at Whipps. We will pass your kind words on to the team.

annie2581 reviewed Whipps Cross University Hospital

X-ray department and main switchboard line!

My doctor wanted me to go for an x-ray on my ankle as she thinks I may have broken my ankle! I have been unable to walk for a whole week and crawled to get to the toilet! I contacted whipps cross hospital yesterday on the nhs choices website & somebody answered the call as I could hear them speaking, but they never said a word to me! I contacted barts & spoke to an operator who gave me the main hospitals number when I called that nobody answered I left it ringing for 25mins! I called the other number twice after that & the same situation happened however on the 2nd call I made I actually overheard the operator a lady speaking to a man and the lady said is she on the phone I can hear her still! So they clearly knew I was calling & was. Waiting I hung up redialled and I could hear them but I was just a joke to them! I have had so much time off of work due to this injury my employer has actually sacked me as he couldn't get through to me as my phone wasn't working & I couldn't make or receive calls for almost 2 weeks! So I was stuck at home with injuries & in a lot of pain only to be messed about yesterday! I then got up this morning & have been ringing the main number for whipps cross hospital all day since 9am as I was told I needed an appointment to have an xray! How can I book an appointment if nobody answers the phone? ? ? ? I have now been on my feet for 2days as I have been trying to organise this as my phone is also now working too! I am taking diazepam to help me sleep as the promethiazine that I've been taking isn't even helping at all with the pain, codeine & paracetamol tablets which are making me very lightheaded! I don't drive so I will have to come by bus & now I've been trying to organise this for 2days and I've still got nowhere! I think this is a disgusting way to treat patients who require basic information, all I wanted was the contact number of the radiology department so I can book an appointment! Why is it that a teaching hospital like whipps cross is, who are actually training new medical staff do not seem to able to follow basic procedures, answer the telephone if it rings or if you do answer it make sure the person on the other end of the line cannot hear you as ur mocking them for trying to get a medicial professional 2 assist me! I have lost my job because of being messed about so much! My employer doesn't believe that a hospital wouldn't answer the telephone! I've even contacted the number on this site on another persons story selected option 2 left a rather rude message, with my contact number! Still nobody has bothered to reply! I think its disgusting!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 12 October 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Barts Health NHS Trust replied on 13 October 2016

We would like to speak with you about the concerns you have raised here so that we are able to understand and investigate what happened and offer you appropriate care. To do this; we ask if you could contact us with your personal information and more detail about your visit.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Gynaecology outpatients

I was quite anxious about attending for hysteroscopy as an outpatient but I can only praise the consultant and nursing staff who did everything they could to make me feel as comfortable as possible. An impressive service, thank you!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 01 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 03 November 2016

Thank you for sending us your feedback following your recent treatment at Whipps Cross. It is great to read that all the staff involved in your care made you feel at ease and comfortable. We will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to be shared with the team.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Top class care, thank you so much for delivering my boy safe

Since I have become pregnant in January this year, I have been looked after at Whipps Cross maternity services. I cannot express well enough what a great place this is. The amazing care continued throughout the 9 months and culminated this week with the birth of my son. It was quite traumatic as I was induced and ended up having an emergency c-section but at no point I felt less than safe and I knew that everything was under control. All the staff is amazing and I was really treated like royalty to the point of having the sole care of a midwife for each shift when I was on the drip who never left my side. Everyone else was great from the anaesthetists, to the doctors, to the sonographers to the reception staff in antenatal. Thank you so much. A great example of NHS care

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 October 2016

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 20 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to send us your lovely feedback and thanks following the birth of your son at Whipps Cross. It is good to hear that the staff were kind and caring when you most needed them. We will pass your feedback on to be shared with all the team that cared for both you and your son.

Wishing you all the best,