Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

SharonM gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A round applause

I called 111 in the early hours of Friday 28 Feb with breathing difficulties. The services I received from then on was excellent. the paramedics and ambulance staff were professional and caring. I was then taken to A&E at Whipps Cross. The admin staff who took my details was understanding and reassuring, the nurses were wonderful and the doctor on duty did his best to make me comfortable. I was never left alone for more than 5 minutes at a time, was kept informed of what was happening at all times. I was then moved to the new AAU unit, which is 5 star. The nursing and support staff are wonderful, especially my nurse who was friendly and professional at all times even when I was a bit irritable due to pain. I was seen by a consultant, informed that I would be admitted as soon as a bed was available on the wards and told what would be happening going forward.

There was a bit of a wait for a bed to free up on Faraday ward but I was moved later on the Friday evening. I found the staff there to be very knowledgeable and caring, they are firm when they need to be as again I can be difficult at times. The support catering staff was friendly and attentive. All in all my stay was very pleasant.

My sincere thanks to all the staff, who do a wonderful job under difficult situations, with support from agency staff a lot of the time who they also have to show the ropes whilst not dropping the ball.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 19 March 2014

Jem gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

GP Referral Query

I called New Appointments today to enquire about my wife's GP Referral and spoke with a person who listened to attentively to enquiry problem and went away to investigate for me. I was called back within 20minutes with the confirmation I needed. Given the nature of the referral this has done much to put our minds at ease. At all times I was dealt with in a polite and professional manner and I was delighted with the way I was treated - she is a credit to Whipps Cross Hospital. Many thanks :-)

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 18 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Maternity care in shocking

My niece had her baby delivered in the maternity unit at Whipps Cross recently, As a family we were treated appallingly, The staff gave no consideration to the needs and wishes of my niece, they were actually rude and very unhelpful, My niece was extremely anxious about the birth of her first child and really needed the help and support of her family, but the staff of the maternity unit obviously felt it would be more beneficial for her, that her own Father should be blocked from entering the labour ward, The main doors to the labour ward are guarded by a security guard who was not very articulate, and only pointed to signs on the wall when asked questions, he would not contact anyone in authority within the maternity unit for the family to speak to, the situation was totally unacceptable,
The so called caring professional Midwives were not approachable and treated any request by my niece as a nuisance, It would take to long to explain the attitude these people had towards someone who felt vulnerable and afraid, Shame on you all, I honestly feel that Whipps cross hospital needs a close review of it's policies and practices as a matter of urgency by a professional body,
We left the hospital feeling like criminals and second class citizens,

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 17 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Linda Curry gave Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye Walk-in clinic

After experiencing worrying eye symptoms, I went to the walk in clinic. Four hours later, I had seen a Consultant, been diagnosed and treated with a laser. When I left, instead of a bill, I was handed a Patient Feedback form. Where else in the world?

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 10 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

S gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Front line receptionists - Appalling

The reception staff are appalling. We are not surprised that security staff wear stab vests. On Sunday morning we witnessed all the receptionists having breakfast while there was a queue of people, having taken a ticket in A&E, waiting to be seen.

Once breakfast was finished, only one member of staff at any one time was at their desks. One poor guy had been sitting there waiting patiently. When his number was finally called, you could not help but overhear that he had been suffering severe adominial pain that morning, after taking a painkiller. He should not have been forced to wait to be assessed whilst they were having their breakfast!

When we approached two separate receptionists enquiring about the status of our appointment, both were aggressive, unhelpful and rude.

It is time the front line staff in the care industry showed some care and professionalism!

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 10 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Karen montlake gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to a and e

I had to be admitted to a and e in the early hours of Monday morning...in need of a check over and an x ray...I cannot speak highly enough of the staff and the service I received. Thank you so much for your kindness and professionalism .
Also to the ambulance driver and paramedic who came to me and steered me int he right direction...thank you

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 03 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

EFH gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E Visit 28/2/14

I can't thank the staff of reception and A&E enough for looking after me the other night. From dialing 111 to arriving at Whipps, seeing the first Dr and subsequently being admitted to Majors, everyone I came across was caring, considerate and helpful. There was nowhere else I would have wanted to be when I was in pain and quite frankly scared.
Unfortunately, I don't know the names of the two Dr's and the nurse that looked after me to ensure this thank you gets to them. I hope, despite the number of complaints that are made, that they do know that many people genuinely appreciate the high level of care and attention they give.
Thank you seems so inadequate but thank you for being there and caring.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 03 March 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital

About nurses of acorn ward

Hi my son was admitted in hospital two days ago for chest infection .he admitted here alots of time but this time he has worst time in hospital.no care .because most of responsible nurses are not working there. They are fail to provide medical need. Because of nurse who is looking after him he has chest infection again I was come back from hospital without any medication doctor discharge him two day wait I could not get discharge letter and medication .in between I was not there .he is disable .i left the hospital for two hours because I have to pick my other son from school.i inform her plz look after him when I come back he vomit his mouth eyes is cover with vomit an nobody is there.when asked about nurse no body know where is she. I have no problem in emergency department. But Acorn ward service is really bad nurses are busy with their own they come there passing time.one night agency nurse come to look after my kid her badge is expire march 2013 no body have time check these things thy can't provide water make feed my son he is on special feed .i told them I need 500 ml water and nurse give after 2hours 100 ml water.i need syringe but they did not gave .

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 28 February 2014

Laura Goodey gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My pregnancy and labour

I just want to thank everyone at Whipps Cross who have been with me through my pregnancy and labour. Firstly the purple team community midwives have been excellent throughout the 9 months of my pregnancy. I then decided to have a homebirth and again the homebirth team were excellent, very reassuring and helpful. My plan of a hypno home birth went out the window when i became 14 days overdue. one of the doctors who examined me gave me the option to go over the 14 days as long as i came in to be checked. She was excellent, but unfortunately we can't remember anyones names. That night i went into labour and thought that my plan of a home birth was going to happen.However 20 hours later my progress was very slow and had only dilated 3cm. I then made the decision to go to hospital to be induced. The same doctor suggested breaking my waters and allowing me to move around for a few hours to see what happens. Four hours later with intense contractions I was still 3cms and very disheartened. The midwife we had all night was amazing and helped me to make decisions of how I wanted to continue with labour. I had to be induced and as someone who is very anxious of hospitals and anything medical I felt at ease. 5 hours later the excellent doctors helped me to deliver my baby boy naturally and just avoided a c section. Everyone I have encountered during my pregnancy have been excellent. Too many people are quick to write negative comments and i just wanted to reassure others and to share my experience. Thank you to everyone involved you do an excellent job. it's just a shame you have to spend so much of your time filling in paperwork! My birth was on Thursday 20th Feb, and I was admitted the evening before.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 27 February 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Michael Withnall gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment and care

I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for many years and my insulin regime is managed by a pump. Unfortunately, I had a chest infection and this affected my blood glucose levels which became very high. I was feeling very unwell and so I immediately took myself to A&E. I was quickly diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and admitted to Resus. The team there acted very quickly to stabilise my life threatening condition and put be on the road to recovery. I was later moved to an acute assessment ward, where again I was managed with kindness,consideration and a very high level of expertise. My condition was carefully monitored throughout the night and the following afternoon I was discharged.
I should like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff involved in treating my condition.I am very pleased that Whipps Cross Hospital is my local NHS trust.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 26 February 2014