Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Medical management of miscarriage

I was treated at the EGU for a miscarriage and honestly can't fault the staff there, who, although clearly busy, were sensitive and kind. The emergency gynaecology unit is new, clean and sparkling. I had to wait with routine scan patients ahead of my emergency scan but as soon as the miscarriage was confirmed I was taken to a private waiting area. I felt like staff genuinely cared and that I was given a choice in my treatment. I was also given good pain relief and a nurse followed up by phone call the following day to check I was ok.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 09 July 2014

Anonymous reviewed Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Cataract op

I have recently had a left phacoemulsifacation op my appt. was at 12.30 I didn't go down til 4.20 through the operation the surgeon was being told every step of the way I heard the consultant tel him it needs to be 180 degrees, then you need to remove that ledge then you have to go deeper . At one point I felt something uncomfortable and must of moved my eye as the surgeon said look into the light (twice) I was so disappointed with the procedure. Having been looking forward to it for some time, knowing it was a simple op and that I wouldn't have to wear glasses for distance. On returning home I read the notes that were given to me and found out that a Specialty trainee (year 4) had done the op. I wasn't told I was going to have a trainee , if had been would of reclined. I have to have the other one done and would not like to go through that experience again.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 08 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital

A&E - Rude / Uncaring Staff

I was at outpatients for an appointment and the staff were very polite and respectful.

When I finished, the porter took me to the A&E, as I had sprained my back.

When finished, I asked the receptionist if she could book a taxi for me to return home. I explained that outpatients had booked a taxi for me to attend my appointment, as I had a back injury and could not use public transport (and was on welfare benefits so I couldn't afford to pay for this myself).

She rudely informed me: 'If you want a taxi, then pay for it yourself.'

As outpatients were now closed, I contacted switchboard, and they were shocked by the receptionist's rudeness. They put me through to the A&E Manager(?).

The Manager started firing questions at me:
'Why can't you pay for a taxi yourself?'
Because I don't have money for a taxi on me.
'Why can't you use a debit card?'
Because I have no money in my bank until tomorrow.
'Why can't you take the bus?'
Because my back is too painful to cope with a bus journey.
'If you are not in the A&E building now, then there isn't anything I can do to help you.'
I'm outside A&E, you could probably see me from the window.
'Not unless you're on the roof''.

Thereafter the Manager met me in the A&E building. She stared at me in a snooty manner, before asking me the same questions again, twice.

Then, quite bizarrely, she started glaring at my carrier bag, before demanding to know what was inside it. I informed her, 'just some of my stuff'. She pointed to a small box, demanding to know what this was. I informed her it was a disability aid, given to me by the outpatients. I noticed that she kept trying to analyse my bag.

Then she retorted: 'What makes you think that the hospital would pay for your taxi back to your home?' I explained outpatients had booked a taxi for me to get to the hospital. She demanded to know where were my family and why couldn't I ask them to collect me. I informed her that none of my family lived in London. She asked me twice why I hadn't asked outpatients to re-book the return journey. I explained that the taxi needs an allocated time, and that as I did not know how long I would be at A&E, I couldn't get this booked until I had finished.

She finally concluded in a patronising manner: 'You're too young to have any kind of a back issue' and that the hospital would never pay for a patient to be returned home in an ambulance or a taxi, for a minor issue like yours.'

Realising that I was getting nowhere (except to be further humiliated), I walked away, and it took me over 20 minutes to get to the bus stop. The bus journey back was a nightmare (the bus kept braking hard, and there was the neverending traffic jam around Romford Road). Then I had to take another bus to get back home.

As a result, when I finally got home, I was in agony.

This was an appalling way by A&E Manager at Whipps Hospital, to treat someone with an injury.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 04 July 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jasmine gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Not a bad visit

I arrive at 7am to the plane tree centre for my operation. The first guy arrived around 9 am and called me by wrong name, not off to a good start. Around 10.30 no one had been back I called over a nurse and said I was starting to feel a little anxious as people were beginning to go into surgery and I had barely been acknowledge, she went off and came back after 20mins and said they couldn't find my notes. Around 12 a doctor came in and said they found my notes, I was taken up to surgery around 3.30. During that whole time I felt anxious and forgotten as no one had spoken to me unless I called them over.
Went up to theatre and all the staff were very nice, when coming round I was quite scared as I had things in my nose and my IV drip was hurting, I was quite hysterical and crying and a nurse was trying to talk to me and calm me down which I really appreciated, but she was being shouted out by another women who seemed to be in charge and kept telling her just to leave me and complete her paper work it would be fine. The women kept shouting the entire time I was in recovery about various things.
I eventually went back down to the ward and to be honest the nurses at this point were quite nice. Asking me if I needed anything and kept checking on me. I was told to sit in the discharge room for over an hour and half so they could set up the beds for the next day even though my nose was continuously bleeding and needed a new bandage every hour.
My only complaint here would have been for staff to allow me to stay in my bed for a little longer as I still was not 100% steady and the blood was worrying me.
As I came from surgery so late the pharmacy was closed so I was unable to get all my medications. Had to send my partner back the next day to get them.
When and how to take the medications weren't explained when he went to pick up my medication, and no point did anyone tell me how my surgery went.
Overall it was quite a pleasant experience just felt I needed a little bit more attention and explanation and it would have been very good.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

chanel gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

The switchboard centre

I called on 30-06-14 at 9.13 was put through to the switch board and asked a question about the opening times of the ultrasound department the woman was very abrupt and rude did not allow time for a follow up question before hanging up without even saying bye or your welcome. Need work on their customer service and common courtesy.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 30 June 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 02 July 2014

Dear Chanel

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are sorry to hear of your experince whilst contacting our switchboard. Please contact our PALS team on 020 3594 2040 or by email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk so that we can look into this further.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Bad service

As a 21 year old,I had chicken pox. I was told by GP if I feel very ill I must see someone because it can lead to very dangerous consequece. on fhe fourth day night I get very high fever and feel hard to breath and swallow so I called 111 and they said I have to see the doctor within six hours. When I saw the doctor,she just checked my teperature and said 「you know you can check how to treat this on google right?」I got very dissapointed by her lack of sympathy。I wasnt just going to the hospital without a reason. I told her that I am a medical science student and my concern about having blisters in my inner body。And she just started asking「you said you studying this so whats the incubation period of chicken pox bla bla bla」she is very rude .I dont think a person like this should be qualified to be a doctor。The experience here was a nightmare!I wouldn't recommend anyone going here!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 30 June 2014

Anonymous reviewed Surgery - Breast at Whipps Cross University Hospital

disgusting phone service

My sister who has been trying to get thru to this dept most of the morning without success, has been cut off 3 times after waiting for 15 mins. Phone rings but is never answered. For people who are feeling very unwell what sort of service is this. The hospital management needs to open their eyes sadly, this hospital is in meltdown, not just this dept but most depts. Some of the staff are very good but some are lazy with a don't care attitude!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 27 June 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Staff in fracture department

I checked in at 9am (1hr) before clinc time. Yes I was sent to x ray. However it was 90 mins later. My appoiment was at 10 am. I return from x ray only to see a 90 min delay due to influx of patients from A & E the staff had to book in and the sister apolised. The poor staff didn't stop for a break having to deal with this sudden increase. I praise for their care and attention they shouldn't be put through it. It is a clinc department after all.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 26 June 2014

Anonymous reviewed Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital

Terrible service on the phone... Nobody answer, or somebody

I am trying to re book an appoinment . Is 14.00 hrs right now and I have been calling since 09.30, theres an answering machine saying to leave a number on the mail box.... What number ? and Good bye !!
I need to re book my appoinment ..... The service is becoming irritable and disgusting in Whipps Cross Hospital .

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 25 June 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

disgusting

Totally disgusting from start to finish, admin don't know what they are doing, total incompetence across the board. Everywhere is filthy, staff look like they have just got out of bed

Waiting times for everything absurb,.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 25 June 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 17 July 2014

At Barts Health we strive to provide a high standard of care and it is disappointing to hear of instances where this has not been achieved. We are sorry to hear of your poor experience and would encourage you to contact our PALS team to provide further details of your concerns that will allow us to investigate fully. PALS can be reached on telephone number 020 3594 2040 or via email pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk.

Many thanks,