Whipps Cross University Hospital

Telephone: 020 3416 5000
Address: Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NR
Website: http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/

lesley pikesley gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

gp unit on a Saturday evening

I had to visit the above on 9 Aug because I had bad ear pain. 111 made an appt for me. A very pleasant nurse booked me in and I was seen by an amazing gp on time. I am so sorry I can't name her. She told me I had an e at infection in the left ear. She then arranged for me to see an ent consultant there and then. This lady was also wonderful . She hoovered out the infection from the left e at then hoovered out the right ear which has been non functioning for months.because of impacted wax.
She gave me very useful advice and some drops. I was hom3 in under 2 hours; and I can hear again.
I can't begin to say how grateful I am ,once again,that WX is my local hospital.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 16 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

the plane tree centre

Found some of the nurses more interested in having their own conversations rather than attending to the patients. Some nurses quite friendly, caring and kind but majority were very uncaring, cold and uninterested. Quite shocked as have not been in hospital for many years and had an image that nurses were kind, considerate and caring. Found the doctors and theatre staff more caring and informative than the nurses. Waiting for discharge was over a hour and when I asked I "how long" was made to be feel as if I was a trouble maker. By choice I would not have another operation here because of the uncaring nature. When you are unwell and nervous of having an operation the last thing you need is someone like that.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 15 August 2014

JM gave General Surgery at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The Plane Tree Centre

I attended the Plane Tree Centre on Tuesday to have my gall bladder removed, I found all of the staff, including the lady on the reception, very caring, attentive and above all professional.

I was nervous at the thought of having a general anaesthetic but they calmed me down and took the time to explain everything to me. They looked after me really well both pre & post op.

The aftercare information they gave me was clear and concise.

The only gripe I would have is the conditions that the staff and patients have to put up with. The heat in this centre is overwhelming and does not make for a good working or recovering environment.

That said I would recommend this hospital for general surgery.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Peter Moran gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Audiology Department - Excellent Service

I recently had my old hearing aids replaced following a hearing test.

The hearing test appointment was on time, very thorough, and the results were explained to me in plain English. The options available to me were made clear and a course of action agreed.

When I returned to collect new hearing aids in July, a member of staff tuned them up, programmed the features that would be most useful to my needs and explained how to use them. I am very pleased with the improved performance. My quality of life has been improved noticeably.

Everybody I met in the department was very friendly, courteous, helpful and thorough.

Could you please pass my thanks on to those concerned directly and their management?

Peter Moran

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 09 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

baby face gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

maternity never

my first prenancy --- shocking! i was left waiting around for ages before i went into labour, the mw are not very friendly and seem to be very busy all the time so therefore i felt i just had to guess what was gonna happen next. whilst i was in labour the mw just sat there ignoring me whilst i was in pain and the aftercare is disgusting i was left with my baby trying to breastfeed her i didnt have a clue how to breastfeed and was told that the md will come back....... i waited 3 hrs and was told to sit down on this dirty chair so they could take me upstairs i waited another 3 hrs. basically the 5 days i spent there was bad service.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 07 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our maternity services at Whipps Cross.

We are very sorry to hear of you experience and would like to investigate the concerns you have raised about the care that you received.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Scarily bad service & unable to contact anyone

I'm receiving midwife/ ante natal care at Whipps Cross & am finding the whole process extremely concerning.
I am a high risk patient due to my age & having had 3 miscarriages previously.
When I had my NT scan we were told to arrive early for the appt & had to wait an hour because the receptionist hadnt arrived at work yet & then couldnt work the appt system.
Then a 3 hour wait to get a blood test the following day!
Was told that my results would take 10 days - 2 weeks & they would post them out to me. A very tense & stressful 2 weeks later I managed to get through by phone to be told my results were back- but they just hadn't bothered to write to me yet.
I got the results over the phone thankfully as 4 weeks later I still haven't received the confirmation letter with results.
Finally - at my midwife appt they told me I was high risk & needed to see a consultant as soon as possible - pref within a week, & that someone would write to me with my appt details
2 weeks later I still haven't received an appt date - and have so far spent 3 days unsuccessfully trying to get through to someone by phone to see when this would be.
If this is how they treat a high risk patient what on earth do they do for a low risk? You are left out to dry & just hope for the best until your due date!
I'm now having to pay for private scans to get check ups as receiving no significant care from Whipps Cross.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 07 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital replied on 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our midwifery/ antenatal services at Whipps Cross.

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and would like to investigate the concerns you have raised about the treatment that you received.

We would like to discuss this with you further and ask that you contact Deborah Twyman, Senior Midwifery Manager via email deborah.twyman@bartshealth.nhs.uk.

Barts Health NHS Trust

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Good Service.

Treatnent, services and communication with patient has improved a lot. The environment is very clean. Some renovations and decorations were going on while i was there. Staff ask of patient needs and provide help. Some of the old buildings are due for new structure befitting the hospital. Also some lifts are not working. Electronic signs could be a plus at each junction after the main reception with flashing health informations like pls gel your hands as you move from one ward to the other. A speaker could be fited on the corridors to remined people of need importance of health and safety of theselves and their loved ones while in the hospital.

Thanks

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 06 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dire serive at A&E

My partner had the misfortune to have to attend A&E due to a rugby injury. There are very few positives we could find about the hospital, other than the majority of areas were very clean.

The negatives:

- Department has moved- signage needs huge improvement. Directions were covered by an ambulance that was parked there both when we arrived and departed (4 hrs difference)

-Upon arrival when taking his details the receptionist answered a personal mobile phone!

- No toilet paper or even a dispenser (it had been removed from the wall) in the toilet. Also, despite it only being 18.30hrs the cleaning sheet had been signed off until 21.20hrs

- No privacy in triage at all. The room had 2 doors- one was closed (leading to the main waiting room) but the other was open into a large room, so we could hear everyone and they could hear us, and there were people being discharged there etc

- After being seen by a triage nurse we were sent to x-ray. After 45 minutes told that there was no request for an x-ray in the system and sent back to A&E. Upon arrival we were then called again by someone- (unsure if this was a Doctor or Nurse as we were not advised of this) who knew nothing about us having been sent to x-ray, and when the member of staff felt the finger said they were "certain there was no fracture, they wouldn't have even x-rayed yet would still x-ray for peace of mind" We did get fast tracked when we got back, but it transpired that despite this assurance, there actually was a fracture.

- The Doctor/Nurse used very technical terms which for a layman were impossible to understand. As a Scientist and someone who had done extensive research into what might be the issue my partner understood this (including the point when the member of staff wrongly named one of the joints) but I certainly didn't, and felt that it didn't "cater to the masses" the member of staff also cited the wrong hand!

- Neither nurse had ever strapped up a thumb in this particular way. Whilst they did it and it was checked by the member of staff we saw originally he was still able to move it, so it was not secure.

- Told that fracture clinic will "call within a week to book an appointment but often they don't, so if they don't call you call them"

Overall an awful experience. So much so that my partner will be requesting a different hospital for Fracture Clinic!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 05 August 2014

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Ian Waterman gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Super service for super ventricular tachchycardia

3 epsiodes since April, 3 visits to A&E, what can I say, prompt, polite, informative, speedy, caring helpful, reassuring, cheerful. Many more words of the same ilk I could use to describe the service I have received on all three visits but I think you catch my drift.
Thanks to all involved on all three occasions.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

beds not cleaned properly, food appalling ,some uncaring staff

A relative is an inpatient on one of the wards. I have witnessed the truly uncaring nature of some of the nurses on the ward not just towards my relative but other patients too. Take for instance a fellow patient had had an operation, his wound started to bleed leaving his dressing caked in blood it was also seeping out and running down his body, he was obviously in discomfort and pressed his buzzer. After 5 minutes or more no one came to his assistance, despite the fact there were at least 3 or more nurses?? standing just outside the door talking. My husband went outside to tell them that this patient was bleeding and after a tutt of her teeth one of them came in , looked at the patient and without a word went off again tutting her teeth. She did not hurry and in fact another 5 minutes later she appeared with a dressing, pulled the curtain around the patient without even addressing him!! No smile ,no reassurance , in fact I would say by not talking and with the the I cant be bothered look on her face , I would say she was nothing but arrogant and rude in her actions, Truly appalling.

Regards to my relation' a person' came to check his blood pressure, I say a person because he didn't indroduce himself or explain what he was going to do. He just grunted and took my relations arm , at no time did he speak to my relation, smile or show any emotion at all, other than appearing to be so put out and that everything was too much trouble for him.

I witnessed the so called cleaning of a bed by a member of staff, she took the dirty sheets off following a patients discharge, put them on the bottom of the bed, sprayed the top of the bed with an 'antibacterial' lifted the dirty sheets to clean under them and then dumped the dirty sheets back on the bed!! she did not clean the underside of the matteress, she did not clean the bars or headboard or the sides. She than sat in the chair blowing her nose and coughing and spluttering next to a very sick bedridden man!

The food that is being served up to patients is not fit for human consumption ! Jacket potatoes that have been re-heated so many times the skin is dry and peeling off, omelettes that are served up cold and something in a fish shaped breadcrumb that is dry and hard, all in foil trays. Where are the nutrients in that? What happened to proper dinners , meat vegetables,etc. Have they not heard of 5 a day? My relative has not eaten a thing since being in hospital and is relying on what we, his family can bring in for him. Totally appalling. He and many of the patients on his ward have lost weight. Its disgusting.

I say bring back the Matrons!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014