DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE

020 7537 1444 100 Spindrift Avenue , London, E14 9WU

Anonymous reviewed DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE

Absolute disgrace

I have been with this surgery for a few years now. It was bad to start but has gotten progressively worse. The reception staff are rude and useless. There are always delays and they never apologise. Every time I need a prescription they screw it up. Every time. Without fail. Every time. It's unbelievable. And then they aren't even helpful or apologetic about fixing it.

They also don't have many permanent doctors and the wait for an appointment is regularly 2-3 weeks. One time I had waited my 2 weeks and got a phone call half an hour before I was due an appointment to say that the doctor wasn't coming in so I no longer had an appointment. Quite often you can't get an appointment with the same doctor because they don't know when or even if they will be back.

Then there are these ridiculous meetings that they text me about in the middle of the day in the week. Right. Now I have no idea what these meetings are as I've never bothered to look in to it. Because I can't go. Because like most people I have a job.

Today I went to pick up my prescription, I left work early, raced down and arrived at 6.28. I appreciate it's cutting it fine but it's really difficult for me to leave work early. And I needed that medicine. But as I arrive the receptionist is locking the door, looks me deadpan in the eye and says that now that they have turned the key there is nothing they can do. As I desperately plead with the receptionist that I need the medicine they then presses the shutter button on the other side bringing the shutters down in between us so that they can no longer see me. I have never experienced any such rudeness. There is one nice person on reception that I have dealt with and that is all. Well I will be re registering at a different surgery.

On a side note the nurse there is really lovely.

The surgery is probably fine if you rarely or never need to go to the doctor.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your experiences with the Practice. We welcome all feedback and use it to inform our actions.

Due to anonymity, I am unable investigate the specifics but have been able to ascertain certain facts which I would address as follows:

You have leveled criticism at the entire reception team but the reasoning behind it is unclear, especially as you go on to compliment one member of the team. We are very proud of the customer care provided by the non-clinical staff and the outcome of various independent surveys and other postings on this forum would justify this view.

The delays you mention, I assume, relate to GP appointments. Although every effort is made to run to time, the needs of the patient take precedence, so delays will occur when the level of seriousness warrants contacting third parties e.g. an ambulance and holding discussions with colleagues in secondary care. We try to dissuade patients presenting with a shopping list as that will also inconvenience waiting patients but if only told the most serious item at the end, our duty of care prohibits delaying taking action Whatever the cause we do try to keep delays to a minimum, and how long you were kept waiting on each occasion can be determined by an audit of the contemporaneous entries as too can your allegation we always "screw up" your medication.

We have clear evidence that refutes your statement that wait time to see a doctor is 'regularly 2-3 weeks'. Our average wait time for a routine GP appointment is 5-7 working days. Exceptions to this usually occur during school holidays which can prove challenging if a need to employ locums arises. However, even in those rare circumstances availability of routine appointments has not exceeded 10 working days. The exceptions to this are where patients wish to see a specific doctor or in a restricted time frame. When a doctor needs to cancel on the day, e.g. sickness, family crisis we do our very best to accommodate booked patients and fulfill their needs. We employ three salaried doctors and one long-term registrar offering hundreds of appointments between them each week. For planned absences we utilise the Hurleys own agency to provide replacement cover, in an effort to maintain continuity, but obviously the detailed records kept of all contacts allow any doctor to familiarise themselves with your records and address any needs.

The invitations you describe as ’ridiculous meetings' are intended to permit patients to feedback experiences which .may inform and benefit all patients. We have historically tried hosting the meetings outside of 'working hours' but the turnout numbers were insufficient to continue. To facilitate engagement with our working population, the text does ask for emails us of ideas/suggestions to discuss.

Your latest complaint relates to the events of Thursday 8th June when you turned up to collect a prescription only to find the front access locked and a staff member in the process of lowering the security blind. You state that this was before our closing time of 18.30 but that simply is not true. It was gone that time when the door was locked as can be verified by a visitor who made a point of saying to the desk staff that as it was after 18.30 they presumed the front door was locked and they needed to exit from the rear of the building. I fully appreciate how frustrating it must have been but we must adhere to a cut off point for reasons of safety as to how many staff are still on site. We try to assist our working patients by co-operating with all the local pharmacists re implementing electronic transfer of prescriptions, and posting out paper versions if patients (as many do) leave a stock of stamped addressed envelopes with reception.

If you wish to discuss any of the foregoing or wish to enable an investigation by releasing your personal details, then please contact me and I will be happy to assist.

Practice Manager

Very pleased

I've been with the practice for about 4 years. I have had a few worrying health issues the past 2 years. I was always taken seriously and the doctors made sure I was referred to tests and specialists. I have always got appointments fast enough to keep me satisfied. Sadly I've now moved out of the area and have had to change my practice but I would definitely rejoin this practice if back in E14.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experiences at Docklands Medical now you have left the area. We hope your new GP proves just as satisfactory.

Excellent GP and Medical

I was a patient of this surgery for 5 years (up to Nov 2016) and would fully recommend to anyone. I have always found the doctors, nurses and receptionists to be very friendly and have never felt rushed during an appointment. The nurses and doctors take time to listen and answer all questions in detail as well as consulting you on your preferred treatments. Appointments are easy to book and they run early morning appointments (7.15am) so I never have to take time off work for an appointment.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback. We share all comments with the entire team and reflect on them good or bad. It is always a boost to hear from patients who appreciate our efforts to provide a good service.

Always helpful!

Wonderful team working at the DMC, they are always helpful and patient. One member of staff are wonderful and I would definitely recommend the facilities to anyone living in the area.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 18 October 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for feeding back your experience with staff members at Docklands Medical Centre. It is always encouraging to know the efforts made by the team meet your expectations. Your comment has been shared with the whole team.

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 5 stars

Very pleased with the service I have received

We moved back to E14 after 10 years away and were previously registered elsewhere. I had low expectations of this practice as my previous experience with my old GP practice was mostly disappointing. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the service I have received at Docklands Medical Centre and can only praise their staff. Following a recent bout of ill health I have encountered GPs, locums, nurses and reception staff on numerous occasions. Everyone has been kind, courteous and efficient and I am so pleased we decided to register here and can only recommend it to others.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for your comment. We are pleased to hear your experiences with us have been positive and hope your stay with us remains to the same standards you describe.

Flexible and kind

I have been a patient at the surgery for approximately 9 years.

I was able to get an appointment quickly and without fuss. I required bloodworm and was able to get in swiftly.

All staff are kind and patient focused. They go the extra mile, all staff from the front desk to locum doctors.

Many thanks, A

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 13 June 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 17 August 2016

Thank you for taking the trouble to post details of your satisfaction with the service provided by Docklands Medical Centre.

We share all comments on this forum with the staff and use them as learning tools to both improve and sustain our care delivery. It is particularly satisfying, therefore, when a patient tells we are getting things right.

Resume

Not overcrowded
15 min average time waiting to get to the appointment
Helpful staff
Caring and welcoming professionals
Gentle nurses with the pacient and proceedings
Online booking system a bit disspointing

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 05 April 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 01 June 2016

Thank you for your feedback and experience at Docklands Medical Centre.

You mention you are disappointed with the online booking system. We would like to hear from you to clarify what the system may be lacking.
Please feel free to contact the surgery and ask to speak to the practice manager.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

In this world where we are generally very quick to complain, I think it important to also praise occasionally. And so I am writing to let you know how very happy and pleased I have been with the wonderful service which has always been provided by the Docklands Medical Centre staff throughout the 25 years I have been registered with you. The staff are friendly and kind and the doctors and nurses have looked after my health wonderfully - thank you!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 30 April 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 01 June 2016

Thank you for your kind comments. We aim to provide quality healthcare experiences to all our patients and are pleased to note this has been the case.

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 5 stars

Appreciation of an outstanding practice

As a semi-retired doctor and as a patient this practice is outstanding.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 09 March 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 30 March 2016

Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the practice in providing good patient care.

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 3 stars

Ups and downs

- it takes 2+ weeks to book an appointment with a nurse or doctor
- I have been prescribed the wrong thing more than once
- receptionists are rude
- doctors make me feel unwelcomed, theyre cold, and want you to leave in 5 minutes. probably the reason why i have been prescribed the wrong thing
-generally feel really unmotivated to book when i feel i need to

-theres a nurse thats really good and nice thats the only up

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 18 March 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 30 March 2016

It is very disappointing to note your dissatisfaction with the different aspects of our services and we apologise this has been your experience. However, in an anonymous forum it is impossible to verify any of your comments, especially where you state you have been given the wrong medication on more than one occasion. This is a serious allegation that potentially impacts your health and our reputation, if what you are saying is correct. We actively encourage patients to post comments on NHS Choices but not instead of discussing concerns direct with us also, to enable resolution.

In general terms there is not a two week wait for doctors’ appointments if the patient is not restricting their request to specific times or GP. There are some very high peaks in demand Easter being one of them with children off school, long Bank Holiday weekend, and people intending to travel during the Summer seeking appropriate courses of immunisations. We appoint locums to try and meet demand but their availability, too, is impacted by the season. Your comments on the attitude of our receptionists and clinicians (one nurse excepted) are surprising as the national surveys undertaken would indicate a high level of satisfaction. However, as with your other concerns, we would welcome the opportunity to identify those involved so we can rectify any issues, provide any retraining necessary and improve your future experience.

If you are willing I would appreciate being able to discuss the above with you, either in person or in a telephone conversation. Please contact the desk and ask for the Manager.