John Pounds Surgery

02392812033 3 Aylward Street , Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3DU

Ben Hornibrook gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great GP Surgery, plus, my dr is a legend

Such friendly staff, always helpful and willing to help you.

Especially the dr I see who is by far the best GP I have seen in any experience with dealing with Gp's. So nice, caring and patient to listen to your issues. I didn't feel rushed at all, settled my mind completely, nothing was too much bother and we could have a bit of a giggle too.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

John Pounds Surgery replied on 19 April 2017

Many thanks for leaving such positive feedback - I will make sure it is passed on to the whole team. It is always nice when the hardwork that the whole team puts in to delivery high quality healthcare is recognised in this way. I hope that you positive experiences continue in the future.

Anonymous gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Reception staff not professional

Every time I am in surgery I can hear the reception staff on phone to the patients about their appointment or medical reasons.
I alwasts feel I have to tell the reception staff what's wrong with me to get a appointment that I need. U don't feel I should have to disclose this information to them

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017

John Pounds Surgery replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time leave us your feedback. Our reception team do their best to be signpost patients to the most appropriate person for their condition or problem. That does reqruire them to ask patients for some details around the condition that they would like to be seen for. If you are concerned that your conversation can be overheard, please ask the receptionist to discuss the matter with you in a more private location and they will be happy to oblige.

Betty gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Worst GP experience ever!

I never take the time to leave negative comments or reviews because usually I ignore it because I have better things to do. However today I was very disappointed by the standards at this GP and I hope this complaint will lead to change. While they were able to get me a last minute appointment, by the end I wished that they waited till they could give me proper attention (the whole interaction lasted less than 5minutes). The doctor was dismissive, unengaging and made me feel stupid. "Children come in all the time with this and we just let their immune system deal with it." As someone that has suffered with tonsillities for the past 6-7 years (1 am 20) I know the symptoms. Though, the doctor insisted that it was just a sore throat and I should wait to take medication until it was inflamed enough (proceeding to show me pictures of 'real' tonsillities). I tried to tell them the last time I waited I ended in hospital because I hadn't eaten in 2-3days due to the pain being unbearable but they just dismissed me with "anyways I guess you know your body". I will be changing as soon as I am well enough.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 December 2016

John Pounds Surgery replied on 01 February 2017

I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the advice that was given by our clinician. I am pleased to see that we were able to arrange an appointment for you on the same day to be reviewed, though I regret that the outcome did not meet your expectations. I am not able to comment further without investigating more thoroughly. If you would like me to do this, please write to Tom Micklewright at the Practice and I will endeavour to respond in more detail. I hope that your throat has no resolved, otherwise please don't hesitate to contact us to arrange another appointment.

Gareth Colverson gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Caring

I transferred from another practice to this practice and in all honesty I can say that this is one of the best. It is friendly and welcoming. The practice staff actually treat you like a person not just a number and are genuinely caring.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 30 November 2016

John Pounds Surgery replied on 01 February 2017

Many thanks for giving us such positive feedback. It is always nice to hear when we achieve the high standard that we aspire to and I very much hope that we are to maintain this in future.

Judy gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 5 stars

An appraisal

I have been registered with this practice for a number of years and have never had any cause of complaint. All the staff; clerical, medical and nursing are courteous, kind and professional. I feel very supported knowing that I have such a good GP surgery and very fortunate that it is located so close to my home.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

John Pounds Surgery replied on 10 June 2016

Many thanks for you feedback Judy. The staff and clinicians here at John Pounds work hard to help our patients as best as we are able and I am very grateful for you having taken the time to provide the feedback that you have. I hope that your positive experience of the services at John Pounds continue.

Anonymous gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 1 stars

why is this surgery staffed by so many people who don't know

Really poor service as get my prescriptions wrong all the time and whenever a nice doctor joins them they don't last long . Too much politics and not enough patient care. Patients waiting room feels like a prison cell. Horrible airless waiting room. They never take responsibility when they get something wrong and are ready to blame the pharmacy or the patient but of course they never get it wrong.
Used to have a lovely practice manager but they left. I wonder why?

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 24 April 2016

John Pounds Surgery replied on 10 June 2016

Many thanks for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you have experience poor service with your prescriptions from the Practice. If you would like to call the Practice on 023 92 812 033 and ask to speak with the Managing Partner, I will do my best to look into the issues that have effected your prescriptions. I can only apologise that the GPs that you have like have moved on. Sadly we have suffered from a more senior team which has lead to a number of retirements in the past few years. We are doing our best to stabilise the situation as best we can.

I do agree that the waiting room is not the nicest environment to be in. It is nicely decorated and clean but the small windows do make ventilation a little challenging, we do what we can within the remit of relevant legislation.

I am afraid I am unable to comment on matters relating to former employees and the choices that they have made with regards to their employment.

I am afraid I am unable to comment on the life choices of previous employees.

Anonymous gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Waiting time

The waiting time in this surgery is not great usually get called 30 minutes after the actual appointment

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

John Pounds Surgery replied on 20 April 2016

Many thanks for leaving your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies if you have been kept waiting 30 minutes past you appointment time. Our doctors and nurses do their best to run to time but it is sometimes challenging to stick to booked appointment times because of medical issues arising that take longer than the allotted appointment time to address. In these circumstances, our reception team do their best to make sure patients who are waiting for their appointment are made aware of the delay. We are regularly reviewing our appointment system and hope that our performance will improved in future. Once again, many thanks for your feedback.

Disgusted in way treated

Disgusted in way doctor didn't have time to listen even though i went prepared with documents, given a back to work note even though hospital told me not to work until various test carried out which will take me until March 2016. We after all know our bodies better than anyone, to get looked at like i'm a idiot when trying to explain whats going on and what I believe it is to be told "I'm not really aware of not up on that field" . Surely a doctor should listen to a patient, show a little sympathy and understanding? I left feeling fobbed off, angry that I wasn't listened too and doctor involved thought I was crazy! No i'm far from it and a shame that very few understand what I suffer from and unless they have it themselves probably never will but would be nice if they actually had time to look at paperwork rather than chat about jobs I can't physically or mentally do right now. Very disappointing, very angry, very disgusted in way this was handled.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 16 November 2015

John Pounds Surgery replied on 20 November 2015

Many thanks for leaving your feedback. I'd like to apologise for any distress that has been caused as a result of your treatment at the Surgery. It is certainly never our intention to leave our patients feeling angry. I have discussed your complaint with the whole team at John Pounds and they are deeply upset that we have misunderstood your needs.

I am very grateful that you have written to me separately so that we have been and will be able to address some of the issues that you have raised over the telephone and through subsequent contacts with you. I hope that you experiences with the surgery improve in future.

In a dilemma

I slipped and fell on a newly polished floor at home and as a result banged my head on a wall. I cut my left temple (probably with my reading glasses) and rang my local surgery which is 4 minutes away and requested a quick examination from a medical expert. The receptionist asked the doctor three times and the doctor refused to see me.. I was told to go to the QA emergency department which is at least 45 minutes away on public transport I explained this and that I am in my late sixties and did not feel confident to make the journey alone. The sympathetic receptionist suggested I phoned 111 for help.
I am very much aware that a wait in A&E can be prolonged and then there was the problem of trying to get home afterwards. Also we are urged not to compound the strain put on A&E for minor injuries.
I rang the nearby Chemist who suggested I should go to the surgery on Guildhall street in Portsmouth, 5 minutes away. I was treated quickly and with courtesy within 5 minutes and left with confidence and a sticking plaster with a reminder to seek help should my condition change. What a difference.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 29 September 2015

John Pounds Surgery replied on 13 October 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. I am very sorry that you feel dissatisfied with the advice that you have received from our team. Our receptionist and doctor worked together to offer you the best advice that they were able to based on the scenario that you were describing to them. You we advised to attend A&E where your head wound could have been properly assessed and treated. A&E also have the facility to accomodate periods of observation and to arrange scans which are often necessary following head injury. I am pleased that you found an alternative means of receiving the care that you wanted but I do not believe that our advice to future patients in a similar position would be significantly different. Once again, I am sorry that you were unhappy with the advice that we gave and I hope that we are able to provide a more satisfactory service to you in future.

Michelle gave John Pounds Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Surgery

I have been under the care of an outstanding GP, A credit to the surgery. Recently I had an anaphylactic shock and the support I received from this GP was brilliant.
The receptionists are always polite and very helpful.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 15 October 2015

John Pounds Surgery replied on 22 October 2015

Many thanks for leaving such positive feedback. It is lovely to hear from patients when things have gone well and I have passed your kind words on to the whole team at John Pounds Surgery. I very much hope that you continue to have such positive experiences in your future contacts with the Surgery.