Swallowfield Medical Practice

0118 988 3134 The Street, Swallowfield, Reading , Berks, RG7 1QY

Clive Tyldesley gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Personal care at Swallowfield Medical Practice

I had cause to visit my GP's surgery on three successive days in the last week, principally to check my blood pressure as a precaution. Firstly, I was invited by the telephone receptionist to come at any time in order to use the practice's blood pressure machine. On arrival, the staff were particularly attentive in showing me how to operate the machine for best results. On taking three readings that were a little higher than normal, an appointment was made with a nurse for a more accurate reading to be taken the next day. While the results from this visit were better, the nurse took great care to be sure that I had peace of mind and, after some gentle persuasion, made an appointment for me to discuss some mild chest tightness with my GP the following day. My GP was equally vigilant and considerate in addressing my worries and encouraging me to return at any time. The practice was busy on all three days and my condition was far from serious, but I was treated with care and sympathy by everyone I encountered. I could not fault the practice on any count.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 15 January 2016

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 19 January 2016

Thank you for your kind remarks - they are much appreciated, and have been passed on to Reception, the HCA and the GP concerned. We will try and keep up the good work!

The Best Surgery You Could Ever Wish For

I have been a patient at Swallowfield Medical Practice since January 2011, Whenever I or my partner phones for an appointment I always get to see the doctor the same day and the same G.P. This G.P has helped me through a lot of problems and if I have asked the Receptionist if I can see the GP that has supported me through a lot, the Receptionist always says that they will try their best and I always get a call back.
The Swallowfield Surgery along with Shinfield and Arborfield is always very clean and tidy and always made to feel comfortable. I feel most people are quick to criticise about something that hasn't gone there way but it's about time the Doctors, Receptionists, Dispensers, Nurses and H.C.A's should be praised for all they do. Doctors don't finish when they have seen the last patient they just carry on and come back the next day very cheerful.
I would like to thank all the staff at The Swallowfield Medical Practice and a certain G.P for helping myself and my family to get through all the bad times we've had . You won't find another Practice as good as this one.
Again thank you for everything, and keep up all the good work you do.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 14 November 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 18 November 2015

Thank you so much for your kind comments. As ever, they will be passed on to all the staff groups you mention.

May I please add a note of clarification, so that people reading this don't have their expectations falsely raised... We do guarantee that urgent cases will always be seen on the same day, but not necessarily by the doctor of their choice - in many cases it will be the Duty Doctor for that day.

Once again, many thanks.

Donna Pritchard gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care from this practice

After a recent stay in hospital I am writing to praise the Swallowfield practice for the ongoing after are I have received from some amazing caring gps and throughout the years for my husband and twin daughters also.
The doctor has religiously stood by me trying to solve health problems that baffled the Consultants at the Royal Berks. The doctos have seen our family through many health problems with their excellent knowledge and counselling skills.
We are so lucky to be part of this excellent practice.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 17 November 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 18 November 2015

Very many thanks for your positive feedback - as ever, this will be passed on. We will do our best to keep up the good service!

Elaine Butler gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

I've been with this practice since 1976 and have always had excellent service. I've always been able to see a doctor on the same day if I wanted too. There are various ways to book appointments or order repeat prescriptions, making both very convenient. All the staff (not just the doctors) are efficient, courteous and helpful. Talking to friends and relatives, I realise how very lucky we are to be patients of Swallowfield Medical Practice. They are progressive and constantly looking for ways to make their practice even better.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 01 October 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 02 October 2015

Many thanks for your kind comments, which will be shared with all concerned. They are very much appreciated.

Anonymous gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

One exceptional doctor - offset by disappointing admin staff

You can forgive the surgery for not being able to meet my appointment needs given this is a nationwide issue and not limited to Swallowfield.

But it's difficult to forgive the quality of (some of) the admin staff, who in my experience over the past 5 years or so, can be unprofessional, condescending, inefficient and at times, outright rude. I've complained about this problem in the past, only to be greeted by a surgery manager whose agenda appears unrelated to my care. One has to assume that admin issues I've experienced, and the reaction to my complaint, are linked.

But on the other hand, the medical care I have received, once I get past the mostly grim front desk experience, has been nothing short of brilliant - as long as I manage to see my usual doctor. They take the time to listen before commenting and always discusses treatment with me in a frank but courteous manner. I could probably go so far as to say, with regards to my medical care, this is the first time I feel as though I am being treated as an equal with unique needs, rather than a ten minute problem sitting in the chair opposite.

If you are listening Swallowfield Medical Practice, I'd say two things to you.

1/ Overhaul your administrative team and it might make sense to start at the top.

2/ Embrace the Doctor who treats me. Learn from them. If more of you took a lead from their professionalism, acumen and courtesy, the practice would be a much nicer place to visit and I suspect, would lead to a healthier set of patients too.

Overall experience 7 out of 10.

That's 2 out of 5 for the administrative experience and 5 out of 5 for the doctor.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 08 October 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 12 October 2015

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that part of your experience of Swallowfield Medical Practice has been unsatisfactory.

If any members of staff (or indeed management) have been rude to you in the past we would wish to apologise to you in person, although we cannot do so as we do not know who you are. It would be very helpful to know of such occurrences at the time so that we can investigate and, if appropriate, take remedial action.

Yes, we are listening, and we do strive to get things right for our patients. We would therefore welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters further with you. We would appreciate it if you would accept an invitation to meet with the Senior Partner and the Practice Manager - if you are willing, please ring the surgery to arrange this.

Brilliant

Having been with this practice for many years, I have a high level of satisfaction for the services it provides.

Although the Surgery has problems with recruiting doctors, the introduction of the Minor Illness nurse has been a very positive move.

I consider myself fortunate to live in the catchment area

The Newsletter is well produced and keeps me well informed as to what's happening and advice.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 02 December 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 04 December 2015

Many thanks for your favourable review - the comments will, as ever, be passed on as appropriate, including to the Patient Participation Group who play an active role in the production of the newsletter.

We are indeed suffering from the national shortage of GPs and are having to look at alternative ways of providing service to our patients. We are therefore very pleased that you think the introduction of the Minor Illness nurse has been a very positive move.

Ross Nicholson gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Simply The Best Medical Practice

This surgery excels in all areas and aspects of what you would expect a Medical Practice to do so. I was once a patient 15+ years ago and found the Surgery to be excellent then. Another 10 house moves later and I am back at this Surgery. Through moving, I have had to use 6 different Surgery's before coming back to the Swallowfield Surgery and as the saying goes, you do not know what you have until you have lost it. At the 6 other practices I had to use, not one of them was on par with the level of patient service you will find at the Swallowfield Medical Practice.

On re-joining the practice after a 15 plus years, it was fantastic to see many of the same GP's that were there when I attended when I was far younger. I was lucky with my GP selection this time due to their existing knowledge of Mental Health and their ability to be able to think out of the box in order to try to get a way beyond satisfactory result.

The receptionists are a real pleasure to speak to and even though it is formal, there is a genuine warmth there which really makes them stand out. At no occasion have I ever not been helped and many times they have gone beyond the normal to help me out.

The amazing team in the Pharmacy are incomparable to any other Pharmacy I have used. They are always extremely busy, but make the time to say hello and you feel very much welcomed and the amount of times I have made a mistake on a repeat prescription or need medication urgently and they have helped out has been absolutely amazing.

My thanks goes to my GP and of course the other fantastic GP's, the Pharmacy Team and of course, the Reception team who make Swallowfield Medical Practice the best Medical Practice I have had the pleasure in using and will not be looking to change for many, many years to come.

My wholehearted thanks to all the people who make the Surgery as good as it is.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 13 August 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 21 August 2015

Very many thanks for your wonderful comments - they are much appreciated, and have been shared throughout the Practice.

Swallowfield a class act

Swallowfield surgery has always been efficient and caring .i am always astounded to hear how other surgeries fall short in many aspects and am always proud to say our local surgery in Swallowfield though always busy always accommodates our medical needs .

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 12 January 2016

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 19 January 2016

Thank you for your kind comments - they will be shared around the practice.

Linda Carroll gave Swallowfield Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Emergency appointment

I feel so fortunate to be a patient at this practice. I have never been made to feel like I am wasting their time or being stupid for making an appointment. Today I rang and all appointments were taken so I explained my concerns to the receptionist who invited me to attend to see the duty doctor explaining there could be a wait. There was a wait but worth it for the support I received and I was treated with respect and given time to ask questions. I now know not to worry but what to do to improve things. Every doctor at this practice is amazing, in fact that goes for the nurses and reception staff too. We are so lucky in Swallowfield.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 May 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 14 August 2015

Many thanks for your kind comments - they are much appreciated and have been shared with the staff and GPs.
You have provided a very clear explanation of how our appointment system works for people who need care that cannot wait until a routine appointment is available!

Brilliant

I've been with the practice for over 25 years and have always found the staff and doctors excellent. I like the fact the doctors come to greet you at the waiting room door - a definite change from anything I had experienced before. I got to see a doctor quickly and they gave me lots of information and advice. Well done to all the staff who work there - especially the dispensers who were very efficient at giving me my medication. A brilliant practice!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 25 July 2015

Swallowfield Medical Practice replied on 14 August 2015

Thank you for your kind remarks - they have been passed on to the staff and Doctors.
May we reassure you that we intend to carry on having the Doctors, Nurses and HCAs coming to the waiting room to call you - we definitely don't like remote call systems!