01843 848818 Minnis Road , Birchington, Kent, CT7 9HQ

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

We have had really good care from our surgery.Special thanks to two of the doctors for all their help with my husband's illness. Also other members of staff for making my life easier with looking after my husband,the nurses and district nurses for coming out to him,in fact everyone at the surgery who have given us nothing but kindness and help,we are so grateful to you all. Including the pharmacist and staff at Payden's pharmacy as well.Thank you.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 22 April 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have passed this comment on to the staff involved in your care and they were very grateful that you had taken time out of your day to give thanks.

Kindest Regards

joyce quayle reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

very considerate helpful visit

I would like to thank the very considerate staff I met on Friday 12th February 2016. They listened carefully to my health problems and made every effort to assist me.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 14 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 15 February 2016

Good Morning

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have passed this comment on to the staff involved in your care on friday and they were very grateful that you had taken time out of your day to give thanks.

Kindest Regards

anguscat reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

Reception staff

I have found that on two occasions recently one of your staff has been most unhelpful.I know that the practice has the worst rating in Thanet but that is no excuse for this person to behave in the way they did.
Another complaint is that i can never get through to the practice by telephone and the waiting time to see a doctor is just not good enough.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 02 March 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your comments, we are sorry to hear that you have had such an experience, it is also a shame that you felt you could not approach the surgery directly to discuss these issues with our practice manager. She is more than happy to meet with patients and try to resolve any issues they may be experiencing.

We are currently making changes to our telephone system that should help resolve these issues. We recently published an article in the parish magazine which covered the phone system changes. We have had two new phone lines installed which will now allow for more patients to connect to the practice, but this also means that we are able to have a menu system in operation allowing patients to connect to the department they wish to speak to, e.g to book an appointment, cancel an appointment and to receive test results. We will also have a queue system allowing patients to make the decision to hang on the phone or hang up and try again at a different time.

With regard to the appointment waiting time, we have actually recently employed a new female salaried GP which will help us provide more appointments. Unfortunately, routine appointment wait times can increase due to the nature of the problems; and sadly this is a common problem amongst most GP surgeries; however we always have book on the day emergency appointments available with every GP every day as well as emergency appointments in the afternoon. We are also making some changes to the system which we hope will reduce the wait time even further.

Once again I am sorry for any upset or frustration caused. If you would like to discuss these issues or any other problems please do not hesitate to contact the surgery or email us at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net. You can then arrange to speak with Hannah Price, our practice manager.

Appalling

Once again this surgery has excelled itself. After the usual 3 week wait for a routine appt, I duly arrived for my 5oc appointment at 4.50, what time did I get called? 6.10!!!!!
This is both rude and discourteous to me as a patient. If I had turned up at the surgery at 6oc too late for my appt I would've been turned away, yet they think its acceptable to keep me waiting for over an hour,!!! Unbelievable. When is something positive going to be done regarding improving the patient experience at this surgery? It goes from bad to worse, and worst of all we're stuck with no other choice as other surgery registers are closed or you're told that you have the wrong postcode (Westgate).none of my friends or family can believe how bad it is here, 3 weeks for an appointment? Sorry just not acceptable.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 29 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 04 March 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments. I believe that you also emailed this to the practice simultaneously and that the practice manager is currently in contact with you. If this it incorrect please contact the surgery on birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net.

Unacceptable service

I'm not going to bore you with my medical problems but when asked by Dr the same questions twice within minutes on several occasions, it does make you wonder! Then to be told to make an appointment at reception, who informed me they haven't got anything. One Dr is outstanding but the rest! Atrocious!
Words actually fail me. This surgery must be answerable to someone! I'd hoped with the survey and recent changes they had turned a corner, well they have, straight into a dead end.
Dreadful.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 06 January 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 08 January 2016

Good Morning

I am sorry that you feel the service was unacceptable to you, we are also sorry that you feel you could not contact the surgery directly. Could we ask that you email us at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net with your concerns and contact information as the Practice Manager, Hannah Price, would like to discuss these with you.

as above reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

Never seems to be any sense or urgency from the front desk

I have been in birchington 4 yrs and have used the local practice sparingly .. A lovely building only let down by the Inability of the practice to hold on to staff In 4 years I have never seen the same doctor more than once .. this would suggest poor leadership from the management..If you cant keep your staff there must be some underlying reason... after Inquiring about getting a copy of my medical history I was Informed that would cost me £55 No free-dom of Information there ..
On and a half Stars would sugest there is a lot of room for Improvement at birchington medical centre .

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 25 January 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your comments; however it is a shame that you did not contact the surgery directly to discuss any issues or concerns you may have. We would have been more than happy to discuss these items with you.

Patients that register with Birchington Medical Centre are registered with the practice as opposed to registering with a GP; therefore enabling patients to see any GP they wish to see. We also have a number of regular Locums who kindly provide extra clinics for us.

In the last couple of years, 3 of our GPs have recently retired from General Practice and this has left a gap. We are actively trying to recruit additional clinicians, which is not an easy task, as i am sure you are aware from the many news articles, this is a national problem. However, we would like to assure you it is the highest priority for the practice.

The surgery offers a number of services to patients who wish to access to their medical records. Any patient who wishes to come and view their medical records is more than welcome to arrange an appointment time to come and view them (digital and lloyd george folder). When patients request copies and print outs, we do, unfortunately have to charge a fee. The most charged for this service is £50 and this is for all records (digital and lloyd george folder) to be scanned onto a CD/DVD disc for the patient to take away with them. You are also able to have summaries of medical records highlighting key information in the records, or specific information that a patient is requesting, this is of course charged at a much lower rate. I am not sure if any of this was explained to you but this practice holds freedom of information very highly. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to email the surgery on birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net.

Birchington Medical Centre.

Edward gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Unable to get an appointment

I have been attempting to get an appointment with my doctor since the middle of December. I was told my doctor was booked till Christmas, and away for two weeks after, and there were no appointments for that time. I was asked to phone back after Christmas, which I did, and was told the appointments weren't on the system yet, and to try again in early January. Which I did, and appointments were still not on the system. I was told to phone early this week, which I have just done, on Tuesday, 19 January, only to be told again that there are no appointments available. How do I get an appointment with my doctor?

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 19 January 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 25 January 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your care has not been met on this occassion and we are also sorry that you felt you could not approach the practice to discuss this issue directly. We are more than happy to call or meet with patients who experience any issues. If you would like to email the surgery on birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net with your details and we can look into this further for you.

Birchington Medical Centre.

Anita gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 3 stars

Excellent staff

This surgery is extremely busy, but the reception staff are friendly and super-efficient under pressure. I would like it to be easier to get appointments, but they seem to be organizing their time as best they can. The doctor I saw today was kind and helpful. I am surprised to read they are taking new patients when they always seem so busy. However, to conclude, quite a wait for an appointment but worth it when you do get one - a professional team.

Additional mentions: Specially impressed with staff on the telephone. Also new screens calling you for appointments are good. The premises are clean and comfortable. I would like them to have a walk-in and wait surgery once or twice a week, as my relatives' surgeries have in Whitstable and Broadstairs.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 December 2015

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 04 December 2015

Good Morning

Thank you very much for your kind and supportive words. It really is important to us to have patient feedback, regardless of whether it is good or bad.
It means a lot to the staff for you to take time out of your day to give thanks for their efforts and for the services we provide. As always, we will strive to provide the satisfactory service the residents of Birchington rightly deserve.

Waiting an hour

I have been sitting waiting for my appointment an hour now and still not seen. I had to go and ask what was going on and got told then. It doesn't help that the waiting room is really cold as well and it has just made me feel more unwell.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 22 December 2015

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 23 December 2015

Good Morning

We are sorry to hear of your experience here at the surgery. Unfortunately, due to the nature of General Practice there can be delays in appointment times; however I have reminded the reception team to keep patients updated when there are delays like this.

We will also be checking the central heating system to ensure it is running correctly as currently we are not aware of any problems.

Once again we are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Worse than ever!

Despite my request to speak to the practice management I was unable to ,after reassurance that they would do so when they were free. Which is the reason I am voicing my concerns here.
I worked as a hospital and community nurse manager for many years and was extremely sad that the service has gone seriously downhill.
Despite some staff working under a lot of pressure they are being let down by others in this practice!
The appointment system is chaotic. I was unable to make an appointment despite having an appointment cancelled by the surgery. It,s unfortunate that Some staff do not seem to follow normal protocol or have any incentive in caring whether you do , My GP requested a face to face appointment which Ithey were unable to make for me.The Hospital wrote a letter to my GP explaining why I should see my doctor.
It was many years ago when NHS staff were stopped from referring to patients as : Darling! or Lovey! or any other derogatory name,and should refer to patients by name only.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 18 March 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 21 March 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent experience at the surgery. It sounds like you have a very specific issue that needs sorting and whilst Hannah makes every effort to speak to and see patients upon their request it sometimes just isn't possible to do straight away. I think it would be best to make you an appointment to see the Practice Manager, could you kindly email the surgery on birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net and we can arrange this for you.