Check here for alerts

01843 848818 Minnis Road , Birchington, Kent, CT7 9HQ

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the staff at Birchington Medical Centre for all their hard work. Special thanks goes to a particular person on reception who was exceptionally caring and listened to my problems and helped me in a very lovely way. They didn't rush me through, had a lovely bedside manner and took their time and patience with me so again thank you very much. All the staff including the practice management are a credit to the town of Birchington and we should be so proud as patients to have such a wonderful service on our doorsteps.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

i have been waiting on the phone for over half an hour,

This practice is diabolical, to wait for a reply when you have been hanging on for over half an hour is ridiculous, what are you doing, surely the phones should be answered, what on earth are people got to do to get through, your practice is a shambles.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

Good Service

I have always received good service, whether it be from the ladies at the sharp end, or the Practice Manager who has solved several issues for me. However, I must comment that it's best to treat those with whom you come into contact as you would wish to be treated. A friendly smile goes a long way. Try it.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 16 September 2016

SCORD gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Really bad service

My 86 year old nan has struggled to see her doctor in the past 5 years in this surgery, frequently she is booked in with a nurse which is still a two week wait and they will only deal with one problem at a time. For and elderly lady who is struggling she has to make two different appointments or queue up at before 8 am to see someone. She has also been advised by the reception staff that her problems are not serious enough to see a doctor. Disgusting,

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 18 October 2016

No understanding

I was told by the Hospital that I have a swollen lymph node in my groin and that this indicated an infection - I had been suffering from pain in both legs resulting in a lump on one of my feet, DVT was discounted on that leg (they did not test the other leg which was equally as painful as it wasn't on the GP referral) but the ultrasound revealed the swollen lymph node. I was told to report back to the GP for investigation. The only appointment offered by the Receptionist was for 15 days time, I accepted this but later rang to say that I wanted an earlier one because of an infection not being treated. I was refused and told I was being rude when I asked the Receptionist if they had any medical experience (to assess whether I needed treatment). The receptionist told me to take Paracetamol - how did they know if I was allergic or not to this painkiller anyway? I need antibiotics to fight infection, I can only hope the infection doesn't worsen during the next 15 days waiting for an appointment. Very disappointed and angry to be dismissed over something that I am extremely worried about.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 13 June 2016

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

We have had really good care from our surgery.Special thanks to two of the doctors for all their help with my husband's illness. Also other members of staff for making my life easier with looking after my husband,the nurses and district nurses for coming out to him,in fact everyone at the surgery who have given us nothing but kindness and help,we are so grateful to you all. Including the pharmacist and staff at Payden's pharmacy as well.Thank you.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 22 April 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 25 April 2016

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have passed this comment on to the staff involved in your care and they were very grateful that you had taken time out of your day to give thanks.

Kindest Regards

joyce quayle reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

very considerate helpful visit

I would like to thank the very considerate staff I met on Friday 12th February 2016. They listened carefully to my health problems and made every effort to assist me.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 14 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 15 February 2016

Good Morning

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have passed this comment on to the staff involved in your care on friday and they were very grateful that you had taken time out of your day to give thanks.

Kindest Regards

anguscat reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

Reception staff

I have found that on two occasions recently one of your staff has been most unhelpful.I know that the practice has the worst rating in Thanet but that is no excuse for this person to behave in the way they did.
Another complaint is that i can never get through to the practice by telephone and the waiting time to see a doctor is just not good enough.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 02 March 2016

Good morning

Thank you for your comments, we are sorry to hear that you have had such an experience, it is also a shame that you felt you could not approach the surgery directly to discuss these issues with our practice manager. She is more than happy to meet with patients and try to resolve any issues they may be experiencing.

We are currently making changes to our telephone system that should help resolve these issues. We recently published an article in the parish magazine which covered the phone system changes. We have had two new phone lines installed which will now allow for more patients to connect to the practice, but this also means that we are able to have a menu system in operation allowing patients to connect to the department they wish to speak to, e.g to book an appointment, cancel an appointment and to receive test results. We will also have a queue system allowing patients to make the decision to hang on the phone or hang up and try again at a different time.

With regard to the appointment waiting time, we have actually recently employed a new female salaried GP which will help us provide more appointments. Unfortunately, routine appointment wait times can increase due to the nature of the problems; and sadly this is a common problem amongst most GP surgeries; however we always have book on the day emergency appointments available with every GP every day as well as emergency appointments in the afternoon. We are also making some changes to the system which we hope will reduce the wait time even further.

Once again I am sorry for any upset or frustration caused. If you would like to discuss these issues or any other problems please do not hesitate to contact the surgery or email us at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net. You can then arrange to speak with Hannah Price, our practice manager.

Regards

Appalling

Once again this surgery has excelled itself. After the usual 3 week wait for a routine appt, I duly arrived for my 5oc appointment at 4.50, what time did I get called? 6.10!!!!!
This is both rude and discourteous to me as a patient. If I had turned up at the surgery at 6oc too late for my appt I would've been turned away, yet they think its acceptable to keep me waiting for over an hour,!!! Unbelievable. When is something positive going to be done regarding improving the patient experience at this surgery? It goes from bad to worse, and worst of all we're stuck with no other choice as other surgery registers are closed or you're told that you have the wrong postcode (Westgate).none of my friends or family can believe how bad it is here, 3 weeks for an appointment? Sorry just not acceptable.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 29 February 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 04 March 2016

Good afternoon

Thank you for your comments. I believe that you also emailed this to the practice simultaneously and that the practice manager is currently in contact with you. If this it incorrect please contact the surgery on birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net.

Regards

Unacceptable service

I'm not going to bore you with my medical problems but when asked by Dr the same questions twice within minutes on several occasions, it does make you wonder! Then to be told to make an appointment at reception, who informed me they haven't got anything. One Dr is outstanding but the rest! Atrocious!
Words actually fail me. This surgery must be answerable to someone! I'd hoped with the survey and recent changes they had turned a corner, well they have, straight into a dead end.
Dreadful.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 06 January 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 08 January 2016

Good Morning

I am sorry that you feel the service was unacceptable to you, we are also sorry that you feel you could not contact the surgery directly. Could we ask that you email us at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net with your concerns and contact information as the Practice Manager, Hannah Price, would like to discuss these with you.