East Lynne Medical Centre

01255220010 3-5 Wellesley Road , Clacton On Sea, Essex, CO15 3PP

Getting to see my GP

After attending an ultrasound at Clacton hospital on the 1st of June where I was told that I needed to see my GP I tried to get a Doctors appointment on Friday 02.06.17. I followed the process of queueing outside the surgery. I joined the queue at 07:45 . After queuing for about 15-20 minutes I arrived at reception desk to be told there were no appointments left that day and that the next available appointment to book in advance was the 26.06.17. There was no attempt to determine the urgency or otherwise of my visit and no advice on what I could do in order to see a doctor. Luckily the weather was fine and I can stand for a relatively long period of time but frankly this was a complete waste of time and cannot be considered as a suitable method of dealing with patients requiring help!

When I got home my husband could tell how upset and worried I was so he then telephoned the surgery on my behalf. He spent sometime explaining the situation to reception and pointing out that I had been in some pain since April and that nobody should be expected to be fobbed off in such a manner. The receptionist eventually e-mailed the G.P who almost immediately agreed to see me 11:20.I attended surgery at the agreed time.The G..P. was very professional and thoroughly examined me ordering further tests to be carried out at Hospital in order to determine what is causing the cramps/pain.

Clearly I needed to see a GP and I am sure that other people there that were turned also needed attention but didn't get it. In my opinion the people of Clacton are being left to self medicate. If it's impossible to see the doctor what else can you do. The whole system needs a revamp as the GP. service in Clacton has and remains appalling since I arrived in January 2015. I have complained before both to the practise manager and to our then MP but nobody does anything about it .All I have been given are platitudes from the MP (Carswell) that they will write to the surgery.

As far as I can tell nothing has been done to improve the service and today was just another example of ill-thought out process and procedure putting the patient in last place and at risk. Frankly my faith in this practise could be no lower.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 02 June 2017

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 16 June 2017

We are sorry that you are unhappy with our services. We can confirm that all routine appointments on 2nd June had been taken. We note that you were offered a pre-bookable for 26 June which although several weeks away would fall within the time frames of the resources available to us. You are of course aware of the crisis within the GP recruitment process within North East Essex. If a patient needs to be seen urgently on the day this needs to be explained to the receptionist at the time of presentation. We note that you were offered an emergency appointment once your request had been assessed by the doctor. The Practice has undergone many changes since new partnership acquired us in August 2016 and we are all trying desperately hard to offer the very best service that we can.

Concerned gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

It is unacceptable to demand that patients queue outside

The practice of making patients queue outside from 8am in the hope of getting a coveted appointment is demeaning and disgusting. I believe it stopped last year, but this surgery has now reintroduced it. I do not know any other surgery in the area that demands this. How can you possibly expect sick patients (many of whom are elderly) to queue outside? This is like Russia in the communist years. Totally third world. And as for making an appointment by phone from 8am, well the line is constantly engaged. So the only option is to queue outside, and that isn't an option for many.
The only people who can queue outside are those well enough to do so.
It is impossible for genuinely sick people to make an appointment and will undoubtedly lead to an escalation in their symptoms.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 05 May 2017

Our practice certainly does not demand patients to queue outside the surgery before 8.00 am. The surgery opens at 8.00 am. This has never changed and we have always had patients who choose to come and wait outside until the doors open. Some days the demand is greater than others and we have no control over this. Our telephone lines also open at 8.00 am and patients can telephone for an appointment. You can also register with Reception to enable you to make an on line appointment if you have access to a device. Our telephone line is not always constantly engaged as people do manage to get through on the telephone to make an appointment. Comments such as this are very distressing for the staff as we are all working extremely hard to deliver the very best service that we can in a time when GP recruitment is at an all time low.

Anonymous gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

A kidney transplant patient's tale

I have recently had a kidney transplant and at the time was unable to walk to the surgery. I have never managed to get through by phone in the minuscule amount of time available to win in the lottery of getting an appointment. So, imagine my surprise when I needed to pick up some new medicine that was prescribed to me at Addenbrookes and had also been faxed across (They do have a secret email but they only mentioned the fax, and that Addenbrookes should have it), and they claimed not to have received the fax. I had to try and contact the exact Doctor at Addenbrookes (took over 1 hour to even identify them, and then as they were on the wards was unable to speak to them) and give the message for presumably their secretary to give to them to resend the fax. Almost immediately after speaking to their secretary, (I made a cup of tea), I phoned East Lynne and told them what had happened so that somebody could watch out for it arriving, only to be told that they had it there. Either that secretary was really the doctor in disguise or ..... No, this surgery is good for those who don't work and so can afford the time to queue up at 8 and 2 and have an appointment any time that morning or afternoon, and get there relatively easily. I now know why there are so many mobility scooters in Clacton!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 27 January 2017

The Practice has already responded to your concerns. The hospital were not faxing the Practice in a timely manner! The appointment system has recently been changed and we hope this will give patients easier access. We have always offered pre-bookable appointments and continue to do so and some appointments can be booked on line.

Anonymous gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

They invite you to make an appointment then won't let you!

They wrote to me to tell me to phone to make an appointment with a nurse. When you phone, they don’t answer. You get an automated message saying they open at 9am and giving their closing time... but the message plays all day.

It is extremely inconvenient to have to take time off work for an hour to drive there (no parking anywhere nearby) just to make an appointment.
Plus you have to hope there will be someone manning the nurses reception.

Will someone please answer the phone?

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 27 January 2017

Nurses appointments are now booked on 01255 220010. We continue to have a problem with the line you have complained about and we are trying to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Bumblebee gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Bumblebee

Iv been with this surgery for over 25 years with a few comings and goings but there is 1 GP that deserves a medal I have a few medical problems so I need to be seen faily frequently. I have never been made to feel akward for getting seen alot. This doctor has my deepest respect, I find them very caring and never felt like a number but always felt I could discuss any medical issues with this doctor and the help advice and treatment is better than most off private practices. The receptionists do a wonderful job especially under the surcumstances and pressure they are going through. For me I don't want to have to see another GP. Just wish they could stay. Iv always been able to get an appointment yes sometimes it has to be with another GP or nurse but again you get seen and help with what ever medical reason you have needed to be seen with so please everyone at E.L hold your heads up high and remaine at this practise because beleive it or not you do an amazing job. Just wish there could be away

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 23 June 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 27 January 2017

What a lovely testimonial - thank you.

Lynsey gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

caring and understanding

The surgery staff really care and do a great job under very difficult circumstances. They are understanding and patient and supportive of me, even when I must drive them mad at times. They should get particular mention for all they have dome for me. Thankyou all.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 13 April 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre has not yet replied.

A. Copeman gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Great Medical Centre

When my daughter was in hospital with pneumonia one doctor, after working all day, sat by her bedside all through the night.That exceptional person was a G.P. at East Lynne Med.Centre. When I suddenly went into labour 7 weeks early, alone and with no ambulances available, one doctor took charge, even taking my 2 toddlers from their cots, promising to put them to bed in the doctor's own home, if necessary, to keep them safe.The superb response and kindness we received that night (and after) came from a different G.P. at E.L. When I suffered a haemorrhage, it was another exceptional G.P. and wonderful nurse inside E.L. whose amazing responses were exemplary.When my late, young son was directed by an 'external body' to use a medication in a particular way, one doctor immediately recognised this as too risky, and refrained from prescribing it.That integrity/professionalism came from a very caring doctor, yet another G.P. at E.L., whose assessment proved to be accurate.These are just 4 examples of many that highlight the calibre of doctor at E.L. and ethos of this 'flagship' practice, for which I will forever be grateful.There is pressure on appointments but I've had no difficulty getting one. The surgery is spotlessly clean, tidy and efficient, and I am often escorted from the waiting room by a doctor,who is already 'up to speed' on my current situation. The nurses have helped with a range of checks/tests and given helpful advice and info.The pharmacist is able to prescribe one of my meds. Blood testing,via the hospital, is quick and on appointment as at E.L. All test results are easily collected and if ever a result has required action, the surgery has contacted me promptly. I have been using the repeat prescription service for a decade- no problem.Twice when I slipped up, it was sorted out quickly without fuss.This week I put request in on Mon.9.30am. Meds. were delivered Weds.4.30pm!-(55 hrs)!!! Having requested some records, they were provided quickly. When at the hospital, I'd forgotten a referral form,a replacement was created, signed and ready for collection at E.L. within 15mins with no fuss or recriminations.It was impossible to be 'overlooked' during illnesses,a range of contacts being employed, individually and systematically.I have been treated by all 3 current G.P.s(each long-serving, as are the managers) and I trust them implicitly.I am more used to 2 of the G.P.s and they are very attentive.I have been a patient at this practice since its inception around 30 years ago.I recognise the same integrity and commitment now as previously. Huge efforts have been made to combat external pressures in this demographically-challenged practice. New incumbents should be under no illusion as to the calibre of professional into whose shoes they are stepping. And we should all support this practice.
-A. Copeman

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 05 May 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 24 May 2016

There are still lots of staff who share fond memories of East Lynne spanning many years. Your very kind comments are appreciated at this difficult time. We have never lost our enthusiasm for offering all our patients the very best service that we can - we are confident that a solution will be found to our current difficulties and that the Practice can restore its "flagship" reputation.

Absolutely terrible!

I find this doctors surgery to be terrible, they never answer the phone then when they finally do they tell you that there is no appointments left. I called this morning at 08.00am, I managed to get through to the surgery at 08.20am to the be told that there is no appointments left for the day! This is disgusting! Would not recommend this doctors surgery to anyone!

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre has not yet replied.

Louise gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Dr Feedback

I have been registered at this surgery for many years. I only ever attend when absolutely necessary.
Whenever I have needed an appointment I have received one.
One particular doctor is by far the best doctor I have ever seen, even those in private hospitals. They are calm, will come to greet you in the waiting and will listen to you. With their help I have been able to get many issued realised quickly.

Thank you Dr for everything you do.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 31 March 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 08 April 2016

Thank you for your kind comments at a time when morale amongst GPs is very low, they are very welcome. Although I think I know who you are talking about it would be very nice if you could perhaps share this information with me as I could then pass your comments on to the Doctor,

Penelope Read gave East Lynne Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Emergency

This surgery is doing remarkably well in providing a good service for patients. I have no complaints whatsoever. We must support this practice and the whole GP structure if it is to survive.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

East Lynne Medical Centre replied on 28 January 2016

Your comments are really appreciated as staff morale is really low and General Practice is facing a difficult future.